Operation 2 - Moving on up!

John Smith

Operation 2 - Moving on up!

Post by John Smith »

Skip waits a few weeks to let some of the heat wear off before he fires a message off to the each member of the crew on the burners he supplied.

"1138 Kessel street, Room TK-421 - Industry district. 9pm tonight."

The industry district is a section of Level 4 dedicated to factories, workshops, power generation plants, and every other sort of industry that utilizes heavy equipment and an underpaid desperate workforce to supply the higher levels of the city with all of the luxuries no one on Level 4 can afford. The hum, banging and popping of constantly running, poorly maintained equipment is impossible to escape in the district, and those who spend most of their days working there tend to lose their hearing later in life. The acrid smell of burnt oil is omnipresent, and the smarter individuals who venture into this district on a regular basis using crude filtration systems to keep from inhaling the toxic fumes from the unregulated operations at the various plants.

The address Skip chose isn't a factory though, but a rundown building that once had been a night school. Put together by those who still had the optimism to think that they could find a way out of Level 4 through grit and hardwork, the building had been dormant for more than a decade. Some of rooms now sheltered homeless squatters, desperate enough to not only work in the industry district, but live there too.

You find him in a room with rows of rickety but still functional desks, with a yellowing "white" board perfect for diagramming out plans at the front of the room. He's leaning back in chair, balanced on two legs with his feet propped up on a large wooden desk that is tilted a little to the left from legs made too short on one side. You note the hatched scarf he wears around his neck, hiding the rope scars from your encounter in the warehouse. He scratches at it constantly, clearly finding it uncomfortable to wear, but keeps it on despite rising temperatures in the room as the rest of the team gathers in.

When everyone is present Skip lets his chair settle down on all 4 feet and stands up.

"Alright, looks like just about everyone is here." Skip says, surveying the group. "The last job didn't go off perfectly," he says as he scratches at the scarf again, "but each of you proved yourself well able to handle more than a little improvisation. You are probably going to need that for this next job. We've been hired by a mid level organization to move some goods for them; to Level 6. I'm not at liberty to say who. If you get caught, they don't want any possibility of it being traced back to them. They'll drop off 2 packages about the size of a brief case 3 days from today, and we are to deliver them to an apartment at level 6 with 96 hours."

Skip reaches into his pocket and pulls out a dry erase marker. "The question is: how are we are going to do it? Security at the level check points is tight, and we need to get through not one, but two of them. There are rumors of varying levels of plausibility of other routes between levels, but in every rumor I've heard they are always dangerous, and often under the control of powerful organizations not usually willing to share their secrets. First step is to brainstorm some ideas to make sure this is feasible before we commit to the operation. Thoughts? "

This is an opportunity to help in building up the world of the lower levels of Chi Town. What ways does your character know to get between the levels? Knowledge rolls, streetwise, persuasion, maybe even common knowledge would all work here. Good rolls would give advantages in scenes to come, depending on what you narrate your character knowing or finding out. Bad rolls can still have some creative narration, but maybe some portion of your intel is flawed and is going to create a problem during the smuggling trip.

Keep the the scene in the room, but feel free to assume Skip gave you some advanced details or asked you to look into something if you want to narrate an investigation or something that would take a while.
Magnus

Re: Operation 2 - Moving on up!

Post by Magnus »

Three minutes into the Industry District and Magnus hacks up a wad of black nastiness that makes him rethink his decision not to get some rebreather tech installed during his last visit to the cyber-doc. The noise is giving him a headache, too, so he stops at the first market stall he comes across and buys two cheap fiber dust masks, one for his face and the other to tear up to stuff in his ears.

He gets to the meet early -- he's been dying of boredom the past couple of days. He'd had to take some time off from the arena while his new mods healed over, and missed the start of a double-elimination tournament at the Liar's Den. He'd thought about heading over to the Cobalt some night to start a fight, but didn't want to get Josie pissed off -- she was a lot more fun when she liked him.

Skip's description of the new job didn't immediately sound like an opportunity for violence, but Magnus didn't let that discourage him. Jobs like this always seemed to go sideways, and when that happened the chance to pop some heads increased dramatically.

"Level 6, huh? Can't be too hard, right? My buddy Twinkle, his cousin's husband works up on 6, slinging drinks at some private club. He says there's a couple of backroom lifts up there in the entertainment district that the high-and-mighty types use when they wanna come down to 4 to go slumming, without getting hassled on the way there or on the way back. Surely somebody's using them to go the other direction, too, with meat puppets and chems and stuff."

Streetwise 10
Streetwise [dice:2rnjkm9p]49856:0[/dice:2rnjkm9p] = Ace! [dice:2rnjkm9p]49856:2[/dice:2rnjkm9p]
Wild [dice:2rnjkm9p]49856:1[/dice:2rnjkm9p]
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Investigation roll, 20
Investigation: +3 from field comp, +2 from Investigator
Investigation [dice:1jc6562o]49872:0[/dice:1jc6562o] Ace [dice:1jc6562o]49872:2[/dice:1jc6562o]
Wild [dice:1jc6562o]49872:1[/dice:1jc6562o]
Harris sits at one of the desks, a new looking laptop open in front of him and wired to an illegal splice into the network. "The Diamond Dawn?" He asks/states in response to Magnus. "It's possible but tricky and probably very expensive. They have a deal with the smugglers and ISS to keep things to tourism traffic. There was a big thing a couple years ago over it, DD was moving narcotics and other entertainment thru it and the Market got word. The Market tried to move in on a nice easy route to Six and the club owners of course opposed this. No shots were fired but a lot of bribes, counter bribes, blackmail, and career sabotage went down before a deal was reached." He thinks about it for a second. "Maybe if we got someone to Six to pose as a tourist and either snuck or bribed them to bring the cases back up? Hard to say but worth looking into."

"I've been looking into this." A holocom on the desk next to his computer lights up projecting a blueprint. Several areas are lit up in different parts of the schematic. "This is a map of the service and construction tunnels between levels four and five, the highlighted areas are low in official traffic and used by various gangs and Market crews to move contraband back and forth. I've identified the groups and have a similar map of the Five Six tunnels." He chuckles good naturedly. "Smuggling was actually my beat so I may even know a few faces. Definately cheaper than the DD route but a lot more dangerous." He lights a cigarette and sits back, still tapping at the computer as he listens to the others.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3

Edit Signature
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Streetwise 2
Streetwise [dice:34yy3ya5]49892:0[/dice:34yy3ya5]
Wild [dice:34yy3ya5]49892:1[/dice:34yy3ya5]
Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

The sealed Cannonball armor Zeke Walker wore kept him from breathing in the gunk of the industrial district and also hid his features from prying eyes. He dropped onto the roof of the abandoned building and paused for a moment to catch his breath and calm his asthma. He made his way inside to the room they were instructed to meet in and took off his helmet as they waited for the others. They all knew what he looked like anyway.

Zeke listened to Skip carefully about the job. “Do we know what these packages are?” he asked. “Are they something that would be bad to try to get through a checkpoint? We could always try a bribe, if we can come up with the credits. Otherwise…”

Zeke thought for a moment. “Tres Reyes run in my neighborhood,” he said. “My snitch Rateo runs with them. They often run mindspice up to 5 and 6. Some potent stuff, too. Gives you quite the high, plus you get some psionic powers. And don’t ask what it does to an actual psi. Of course, you risk burning your brain out, but what’s that to escaping your problems? Unfortunately, I’ve been busting Tres Reyes for a while. They don’t much like me. So not sure they would be willing to help.”
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Joey aka: Fat Joey
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Joey aka: Fat Joey »

Streetwise [dice:18045d6a]49974:0[/dice:18045d6a] (1+Skillport) bribe street people for ways up to lvl 6
Investigation [dice:18045d6a]49974:1[/dice:18045d6a] - look for access to lvl 6
Wild Card [dice:18045d6a]49974:2[/dice:18045d6a]

Connections (CS Military) - ask about access to lvl 6 on the DL
Connections (Local Gang) - ask about access to lvl 6 on the DL

Joey walks in and looks around. ”Nice hideout!” He finds something that may hold him and sits after throwing his longcoat over it.. He pulls his sidearm and reloads it, then checks his weapons over. As he works, he listens to the job. ”Not sure what i can do, but i will ask around.”

He then access his skillport and goes over his old files. ”Maybe there is something i forgot.” Then after that he picks up his phone and starts calling in every favor he has left.
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Streetwise - 29
Streetwise
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:0[/dice:k36uyuer]

Benny EE Streetwise with prior and Elan
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:2[/dice:k36uyuer]
Ace EE with prior
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:3[/dice:k36uyuer]
2nd Ace EE w/ prior
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:4[/dice:k36uyuer]
3rd Ace EE w/ prior
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:5[/dice:k36uyuer]

WD Streetwise
[dice:k36uyuer]50090:1[/dice:k36uyuer]
Edwin is early to the meet, enviro cranked up to filter the barely breathable lung-sludge in the industrial area. Being early allows him to refresh his knowledge of the routes to and from the meet spot, lookout locations, ambush and pinch points. Before he steps out of the ride, he has a backup for his backup of his backup backup exit strategy, and has driven them all at least once.
He nods greetings to the familiar faces, but leaves his game face on as he takes notes on the proposed deal. He pipes up once the difficulty of passing levels is brought up. "I can get us to 5, no problem. It's like Magnus said, except I've got a line on a 'black block.' It's an old power plant facility on the edge of town. An entire city block has been blacked out on CS maps and registries. Patrols are actively redirected by a planted algorithm in their schedules. Great place to lay low, except it's actively run by a consortium of interests. Black Market struck a deal with a couple other major organizations to use it to funnel contraband up and down."
In his head, he laments some of the cargo he knows makes those travels. People are never cargo, d-bee or not.
He continues. "I ran a job for a guy who's a mid-level administrator, lacking a better word. He might owe me one. Or he might have a short memory and tell me to buzz off. Never know 'til ya try."
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post
Toughness: 11 (4)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 6
Bennies: 4 (FFTB)

Pertinent Edges: Ambidextrous, Quick, Strong WIlled, Brave, Scrounger, Ace, Elan, Charismatic, Attractive

Current Armament:
Right Hand: N/A
Left Hand: N/A
Vehicle Status
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Skip nods his head as Magnus and Harris bring up the Diamond Dawn. A few of Skips clients had used that route to get to Level 4 for their meetings.

"Unfortunately The DD's damn expensive, and this job isn't paying well enough for us to bribe our way through it. It might make a good escape route from 6 if you guys are under any heat though, since payment is always on the return trip. More than one Mid-Level brat has gotten stuck down in 4 for a week or two after getting mugged after taking a wrong turn."

Skip whistles in appreciation as he takes a seat nearby to better inspect the map on the holocom.

"Damn Harris. I've done some smuggling runs before but this is the most complete map of the service tunnels I've ever seen. Mind if I...?" Skip points toward the computer. He punches in a few edits, adding in a few pieces of current info that had changed since Harris was still playing for the other team. Finished, he punches a last key and the map updates with various colors highlighting some regions.

"This will probably be our best route between 5 and 6." he says indicated a winding path that cuts across a number of maintenance lanes and air transport tunnels. "It runs through the territory of a number of local and inter-level gangs. Most we should be able to bribe off or bluff our way through. Here though, he says, pointing toward a red hatched area on the map, "that's Craver territory. Bastards are usually so pumped up on the stims they run from the upper level to level 4 that's its nearly impossible to negotiate passage through their territory. Unfortunately, you'll either have to sneak through there or fight your way through it." Pointing to a yellow hatched area outside of the marked route, Skip continues "If our mage's info is correct, Tres Reyes also run in this area, so they shouldn't be a problem, no matter how little they like Mr Walker. Still... it will probably be easier to make the trip to 5 using Fisk's 'black block'... if it actually exist" Skip sounds skeptical, considering the fact that he had never even heard of it before. "Make contact with him and let me know if he can smuggle us up to 5"
For Fisk
Narrate this if you'd like or I can just summarize it in a later post when it becomes relevant. Your call. Ultimately, with that streetwise roll he'll do it and he'll do it for straight up cost, considering how much he owes you, but after this, your even.
"Sounds like we've got ourselves a plan. For now at least, best laid plans being what they are...." Skip itches at his scarf again before pulling out his phone. "I'm going to make some calls to finalize this job. Drop off is 2pm, 3 days from today. Til then, i recommend you make preparations in case this job goes off the tracks like the last..."

With that, Skip takes his spot back on the desk and starts making some calls.

The crew leaves the once-school together, making their way to the entrance of the larger industrial complex the building a part of. Needing to practically shout to be heard over the roar of a nearby vibro-steel mill, no-one is ready for when a frantic, well dressed man barrels into Fisk as he steps out from an alley.

Looking around nervously, the man pulls himself to his feet and looks at first like he is going to take off without so much as a word. His face flickers with unreadable thought, and he instead reaches down to help the wheelman up.

Oh ah... I'm Sorry! I uh.... didn't see you there." With Fisk on his feet, he nervously pats at and tries to help straighten Fisk's suit. "I guess I really need to watch where I'm going huh?. I get so turned around here..."

Suddenly laser bolts slam against the nearby wall, sending shards of scorched concrete flying. There is confusion as everyone ducks for cover, putting something between them and the eight dark figures silhouetted by the bright flare of the steel smelter behind them.

"Shit...Shit...." The stranger says between sharp hissing breaths. His pant leg is scorched, and it clear he took a glancing blow to the thigh. Unable to run, he looks at the group, panic in his eyes clearly wondering if you plan on helping, turning him in, or running...

So what is going to be? If you fight back against the unknown assailants, we will treat this as quick combat, with rolls at -2 due to the glare of the smelter. Quick, Level Headed or other combat edges that affect combat indirectly grant +1. Melee or touch range ability grant -1 due starting at a distance with your opponents. 0-4 successes and everyone takes 1d4 wounds. 4-8 and everyone takes a wound or a level of fatigue. 8+ and everyone (who doesn't crit fail) makes it out unscathed.

Want to turn him over? Have a lead roll persuasion and everyone else support to convince the assailants you're not a threat.

Want to just mind your own business and run? Roll agility.

Want to try something else? Let me know and we will figure it out.

UPDATE: Please include common knowledge rolls and Notice rolls with your post.
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Spellcasting 19; 4 successes
-2 difficulty, +1 shotgun
Spellcasting [dice:wodzmxxa]50166:0[/dice:wodzmxxa]
Ace [dice:wodzmxxa]50166:2[/dice:wodzmxxa]
Wild [dice:wodzmxxa]50166:1[/dice:wodzmxxa]
Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

Zeke walked out with the others, considering what preparations needed to be made for the job to come. When the lasers started firing, Zeke started casting, ducking for cover, pulling the well-dressed man with him. He sent magic flying at their assailants.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Notice [dice:22zshdoc]50175:0[/dice:22zshdoc] +6
Optics Package - +2 all sight-based Notice checks;
Optics Package - glare filters that give a +2 on checks to avoid blinding flashes and related light burst effects.
Expanded Detection and Security Array: +2 Notice
Keen Sense of Smell (Racial): +2 Notice
Danger Sense (Cyber): Anytime he’s about to be the victim of a surprise attack, ambush, or other nasty surprise, he gets a Notice roll at –2 just before the attack or event occurs
Wild [dice:22zshdoc]50175:1[/dice:22zshdoc]

Common Knowledge [dice:22zshdoc]50175:5[/dice:22zshdoc]

Shooting [dice:22zshdoc]50175:3[/dice:22zshdoc] +2
Optics Package - Targeting Eye (1): (Strain 1) grants a +2 to all Shooting rolls
Wild [dice:22zshdoc]50175:2[/dice:22zshdoc]
Wild [dice:22zshdoc]50175:4[/dice:22zshdoc]

Nerves of Steel (HJ): May ignore 1 point of wound
X2 Reinforced frame +4 toughness

Joey is just chilling as the others discuss the plans. ”I am a grunt. Planning is for the smart guys.” As he sits there, he gives a small chuckle. ’you guys know what we are doing? I am just here to be muscle. Tell me who or what to hit.” then they all get up and head out.

Just as Joey grabs his grenade launcher, he pauses. Move! Move! As the others run, Joey stands his ground. Once he startes taking hits, he fires smoke to cover the escape.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Fighting 7, 1 Success
Fighting is 1d12+2 base, -1 for melee. Magnus has a lot of combat feats ... but I'm just going to claim Level-Headed, Frenzy and Assassin here for the narrative, for a +3. So 1d12+4 total.

Fighting [dice:371s2ape]50195:0[/dice:371s2ape]
Wild [dice:371s2ape]50195:1[/dice:371s2ape]

Wow, low roll.
Magnus couldn't be happier when random suspicious guy shows up, with more random guys in hot pursuit.

Finally! he thinks, cracking his knuckles as he almost melts into the shadows next to the alley entrance, his cybernetic skillwires guiding his muscles so that his movements take on a languid, cat-like quality.

He pops the first goon to come around the corner with a fist to the back of the head, scooping him up by the neck and the waistband to hurl him at the next one ... only the move turns out less impressive in reality than in his head. Whether it's the new cyber or just being rusty from a couple of weeks of downtime, Magnus is just a little off. The guy he hits with his first victim is only staggered, not bowled over, and while Magnus gets plenty of licks in, it's not the vid-worthy display of combat dominance he was hoping for.

When all is said and done and the pursuers have been run off or knocked unconscious, he stops to catch his breath with a sour look on his face. He'd been spoiling for a fight, but this one leaves him wanting to punch someone else in disappointment.
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Notice 11
Notice [dice:40jk51zu]50233:4[/dice:40jk51zu] Ace [dice:40jk51zu]50233:8[/dice:40jk51zu]
Wild [dice:40jk51zu]50233:5[/dice:40jk51zu]
Common Knowledge 9
Smarts [dice:40jk51zu]50233:6[/dice:40jk51zu]
Wild [dice:40jk51zu]50233:7[/dice:40jk51zu]
Shooting, 22 5 success'
Modifiers -2 scene, +1 gear, +1 level headed, +2 Marksman, total +2
Shooting [dice:40jk51zu]50233:0[/dice:40jk51zu] Ace [dice:40jk51zu]50233:2[/dice:40jk51zu] Ace [dice:40jk51zu]50233:3[/dice:40jk51zu]
Wild [dice:40jk51zu]50233:1[/dice:40jk51zu]
Ducking behind cover when the laser fire begins Harris draws his Equalizer. Drawing a bead and squeezing the trigger as they rush Magnus he catches one square in the chest. The plasma field ruptures and the assailant spends his final seconds writhing on the plascrete. This better not be a harbinger Looking over to the stranger next to Zeke, "So what do they want?"
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Edwin Fisk

Post by Edwin Fisk »

Fisk's poor rolls, net 1 success on QC
Notice
[dice:47i253x7]50235:0[/dice:47i253x7]

WD Notice
[dice:47i253x7]50235:1[/dice:47i253x7]

CK
[dice:47i253x7]50235:2[/dice:47i253x7]

WD CK
[dice:47i253x7]50235:3[/dice:47i253x7]

Shooting, -2 from scene, +1 from Quick, net -1
[dice:47i253x7]50235:4[/dice:47i253x7]

WD Shooting
[dice:47i253x7]50235:5[/dice:47i253x7]

Benny to reroll Shooting, -2 from scene, +1 from Quick, +1 from Quick Draw, +2 from Elan, net +2
[dice:47i253x7]50235:6[/dice:47i253x7]

WD Benny Shooting
[dice:47i253x7]50235:7[/dice:47i253x7]
Edwin is uncharacteristically discombobulated by the stench and the sound of where he is. He's not paying attention when he gets nearly plowed over by a well dressed man. He pops back up off the ground in a blink, immediately doing his best to force the man's hands away from his freshly pressed suit. One hand reaches for his pocket to make sure his ident card is still there, and the other reaches for his pistol. "Watch it, guy! You about got yourself pasted by...DAMN!" He immediately dives for cover to avoid incoming laser fire. "Alright, pal. Who are you and who did you piss off?!"
Before he can get an answer, Joey is lobbing smoke grenades and the Red is mashing skulls. "Aw...what the hell." He peeks back around the dumpster and starts lobbing return fire, forcing the attackers to either seek cover or find a new hole in their flesh.
Edwin Fisk
Edwin "Fast Eddie" Fisk
Current Status Post
Toughness: 11 (4)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 6
Bennies: 4 (FFTB)

Pertinent Edges: Ambidextrous, Quick, Strong WIlled, Brave, Scrounger, Ace, Elan, Charismatic, Attractive

Current Armament:
Right Hand: N/A
Left Hand: N/A
Vehicle Status
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

The second the shots are fired, the crew dives for cover, and immediately begins to fight back.

Arcane power fills the air as Zeke calls forth bolts of every element imaginable, from fire to electricity to acid. The results are destructive, and not just on the 3 assailants who fall to his onslaught. Pipes corrode through, letting off a hiss of superheated steam, and nearby equipment goes temporarily haywire before overpowering and shutting down, the magic smoke that keeps them running seeping out of them.

Joey somehow manages to be marksman with smoke grenades, bashing one attackers head in with a volley. Though intending to cover a retreat, the smoke grenades do an excellent job of providing cover for Magnus's approach of the two mean caught within their radius. He slips menacingly into the shadowy haze, and pops the first goon to come around the corner with a fist to the back of the head, scooping him up by the neck and the waistband to hurl him at the next one ... only the move turns out less impressive in reality than in his head. Whether it's the new cyber or just being rusty from a couple of weeks of downtime, Magnus is just a little off. The guy he hits with his first victim is only staggered, not bowled over, and while Magnus gets plenty of licks in, it's not the vid-worthy display of combat dominance he was hoping for.

The screams of terror and subsequent silence from inside the cloud have a distracting effect on the remaining attackers. One stays out of cover for too long and takes a shot from Fisk. While another foolishly lines up for what is either an amazingly display of skill or an incredibly luck shot by Harris. With a single shot, his plasma bolt strikes the first attacker in the chest and then explodes, engulfing not just him, but the woman lined up behind him also. Both writhe on the ground for a few moments until their screams diminish in proportion to the rising smell of charred flesh.
Harris LaVode wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 pm Looking over to the stranger next to Zeke, "So what do they want?"
Harris is shocked to find that the clumsy stranger who was the harbinger of the encounter is gone. A quick glance in the opposite direction of the assailants shows that he didn't get very far. As soon as he noticed that the team was actually going stick around and fight, he decided to use what he assumed was your noble sacrifice to make a run for it. Now he lies face down on the asphalt, not breathing, a scorched hole showing through his coat right between the shoulder blades.
Success on the Notice roll here
That guy who ran into Fisk sure was getting handsy as he helped pick up and brush Fisk off. Was that your eyes playing tricks on you, or did it look like he slipped something into Fisk's coat? If Fisk checks his coat pocket, he will find a small, strongly encrypted data disk. With a hacking roll at -4 (and something to put it in) you can find out what is on it.
Common Knowledge Success
The now dead stranger has all of the signs of being a runner for hire. No identification and a completely unremarkable appearance - with the exception of some easily changeable clothes.
Common Knowledge Raise
The thugs who attacked you may only have standard Coalition issue gear, but its the other little things they have that mark them as clearly being Black Market goons. The high end - and clearly foreign - watches, and the earpiece comms that are typical of the Market, all make it clear that, though they tried not to look like it, these were Market hitmen.
The goons all take their dying breathes before they even have a chance to think about running, and everyone seems to get through the fight unscathed. There is no way the ISS wont come running to a scuffle this loud, but the fight only lasted a few minutes and you don't even hear the sirens on their way yet, so you've got at least a couple minutes before it would makes sense to skedaddle.

Normally I would encourage you to only look at OOC tags that you made the rolls for or that apply to you, but everyone should probably look at the notice roll OOC because it has some technical details.
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

John Smith wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:37 pm Harris is shocked to find that the clumsy stranger who was the harbinger of the encounter is gone. A quick glance in the opposite direction of the assailants shows that he didn't get very far. As soon as he noticed that the team was actually going stick around and fight, he decided to use what he assumed was your noble sacrifice to make a run for it. Now he lies face down on the asphalt, not breathing, a scorched hole showing through his coat right between the shoulder blades.
Notice 9
Notice [dice:1iz9iflm]50567:0[/dice:1iz9iflm]
Wild [dice:1iz9iflm]50567:1[/dice:1iz9iflm] Ace [dice:1iz9iflm]50567:2[/dice:1iz9iflm]
Common Knowledge 8
Common Knowledge [dice:1iz9iflm]50567:3[/dice:1iz9iflm]
wild [dice:1iz9iflm]50567:4[/dice:1iz9iflm]
Moving to one of the bodies Magus dropped, Harris gives it a quick once over. In a quick professional manner he rifles thru the assassins pockets . Slipping off the watch then pocketing the dead mans comm and earpiece. He motions for Magnus to do the same and turns to @Joey "Get some good pics of these guys faces if you don't already. It'll help me figure out who's porridge we just pissed in. @ Fisk check your pockets. And the dead runner please."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Notice 5, CK 3
Notice [dice:7cray29t]50692:2[/dice:7cray29t]
Wild [dice:7cray29t]50692:0[/dice:7cray29t]

Common Knowledge [dice:7cray29t]50692:3[/dice:7cray29t]
Wild [dice:7cray29t]50692:1[/dice:7cray29t]
Magnus spots the same pick-pocket's move Harris did and nods at the advice.

"Maybe he just liked you, Fisk, and was slipping you his number. But I bet whatever it was has some bad mojo ... whoever plugs that chip in ought to be mindful of using protection."

When asked, he starts rifling through the pockets of the dead men, but doesn't stop at watches and comms like Harris. Wallets, weapons ... anything that could pawn goes in his own pockets.

Gotta pay off Black Benny one way or another.

"Any idea who these goons were? Gotta be either a real dumbass or pretty confident in your abilities to just run around shooting at a runner like that, even on 4."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Notice 7
Notice [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:0[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Ace [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:4[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Wild [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:1[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Ace [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:5[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Common Knowledge 4
Common Knowledge [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:2[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Wild [dice:bzrh0is0]50724:3[/dice:bzrh0is0]
Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

Zeke watched the others roll the man, who had apparently been caught in the crossfire.

“Check yourself,” warned Fisk as well, having caught the man’s bit of sleight of hand. “We should be leaving his area soon. The cops will be here.”
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Moving to one of the bodies Magus dropped, Harris gives it a quick once over. In a quick professional manner he rifles thru the assassins pockets . Slipping off the watch then pocketing the dead mans comm and earpiece. He motions for Magnus to do the same and turns to @Joey "Get some good pics of these guys faces if you don't already. It'll help me figure out who's porridge we just pissed in.
Notice [dice:33321bra]50782:0[/dice:33321bra]
OOC Comments
Keen Sense of Smell (Racial): +2 Notice rolls.
Investigator (N1): +2 Notice when searching through evidence
Right eye is replaced, granting the following:
+2 all sight-based Notice checks;
20× macro lens for up-close detail
provides the ability to record still images or video and store them for later viewing or display.
Wild [dice:33321bra]50782:1[/dice:33321bra]

Joey looks over as Harris speaks. ”On it.” Taking a second, he switches optic modes to camera. Joey moves to the man. Kneeling down on one knee, joey uses his eye to take a snapshot of the mans face. Tehn with a blink, he switches to video and walks slowly around the body. Joey stands to the side a records as the body is examined. ’I wioll record as well in case we need to take another look later.”
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

While the attackers aren't equipped with anything particularly rare or powerful, Magnus and Harris find that their gear and supplies are in good condition and will sell well.
Loot
There's nothing special on the corpses, but next time you get a chance to sell, your characters can pick up 20,000 credits by offloading this stuff.
At the suggestion of the more observant members of the team, Fisk rummages through his pockets and comes up with a small data disk, about an inch in diameter. He inspects it for a moment, and then offers it to the nearest crew member to take a look.

In the background, you hear the sound of sirens in the distance. Judging by the sound, you figure you've still got plenty of time to get out of the area before they ISS arrive, but you'll want to get going shortly.

Whats next? Try to hack the disk (knowledge computers at -4), or try to find someone who can and get them to help you (Street wise roll, or utilizing a connection, followed by persuasion), or ignore the the disc entirely and bide your time until the next job starts in a couple of days? Or something else entirely?(
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

“Okay, let’s get somewhere we can look at this data disk and lie low until it’s time for the job,” Zeke said. “Anyone good with computers?” He glanced toward the sounds of sirens. They had some time, but not much. Best to get moving out of the area.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

After the group slides into the car Harris speaks up "Here's my pitch boys. We leave the disc alone for now, we find out who those goons are and who sent them, we contact him and inform him of the misunderstanding but we have his property and will be happy to return it unhacked for whatever he was paying that team. Negotiations doubtless ensue. We get paid and possibly make a new contact." He starts to light a cigarette but catches Fisks glare in the rearview. "But I can probably hack that thing if you guys think otherwise or we try my plan and they don't play ball."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Fat joey saves the photos to his datachip and stands up again. As he moves back to his spot on the wall, he has a memeory flash. Listening to the others while he gathers his thoughts. ’Umm. Guys! I may know how to help . Ther was a dude i knew. I know him as Asher. He was part of the team i used to be on. I would sniff out the evil nasties and he would use his psi on them. I trust him. Should i give him a call?”

Assuming the groop says yes --- Joey grabs his phone. He swipes the screen a few times and then holds it to his head. ”Face. Nose here. My boss needs a guy for a job. Use your brain to find me. I will be listening.” He looks aroiund quickly. ’Frak!! Forgot we were in a ride.” He speaks into the phone again. ’Not sure where are headed, but keep a thought out for me.”
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Joey aka: Fat Joey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:00 pm Fat joey saves the photos to his datachip and stands up again. As he moves back to his spot on the wall, he has a memeory flash. Listening to the others while he gathers his thoughts. ’Umm. Guys! I may know how to help . Ther was a dude i knew. I know him as Asher. He was part of the team i used to be on. I would sniff out the evil nasties and he would use his psi on them. I trust him. Should i give him a call?”

Assuming the groop says yes --- Joey grabs his phone. He swipes the screen a few times and then holds it to his head. ”Face. Nose here. My boss needs a guy for a job. Use your brain to find me. I will be listening.” He looks aroiund quickly. ’Frak!! Forgot we were in a ride.” He speaks into the phone again. ’Not sure where are headed, but keep a thought out for me.”
A Psychic ping reaches @Joey aka: Fat Joey minutes after the call, "Nose. Face Here. Intersting. Prepare to copy location. I just set up a secure room."

Joey knows the secure room is Asher's way of protecting clients, himself, and anything that might be exchanged during the interaction. They are temporary locations, sometimes up for an hour. Other times up for several hours.

The secure room locations are normally in poverty areas where Asher coordinates goods be delivered. The goods form the necessary sound proofing from the rooms he utilizes for his meetings. The goods are already assigned for distrubition in the poverty stricken areas, so as soon as the meeting is down and business is concluded, the claimants come and whisk everything away. Its Asher's way of providing for the community and the community likewise protects him.

"Two miles from your current location. North by North West. Old Clarkson Grocery. Second Floor."

The Psychic ping fades.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

A Psychic ping reaches @Joey aka: Fat Joey minutes after the call, "Nose. Face Here. Intersting. Prepare to copy location. I just set up a secure room."
Fat joey’s ears perk up when he gets the mental ping. ”Alright!” He taps Edwin on the shoulder. ”I heard from my guy. Head for a place called Old Clarkson Grocery. He has a safe place set up.he is expecting us.” as he sts back, he sends a mental image of the car to Asher. ”i hope he is still watching.”
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

Zack listened to Harris’ suggestion while Fat Joey called in a friend.

“That’s a good idea, Harris. The problem is we don’t know the intentions of the guys after that chip. They may just decide they don’t want anyone even knowing where it ended up. They might have had a plan to eliminate the retrieval team. It’s risky, but could be profitable.”
Character Tracker
Shotgun
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Joey aka: Fat Joey wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:02 am as he sts back, he sends a mental image of the car to Asher. ”i hope he is still watching.”
Got it.
Zeke Walker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 am Zack listened to Harris’ suggestion while Fat Joey called in a friend.

“That’s a good idea, Harris. The problem is we don’t know the intentions of the guys after that chip. They may just decide they don’t want anyone even knowing where it ended up. They might have had a plan to eliminate the retrieval team. It’s risky, but could be profitable.”
Uh Nose, sounds like your hot. Am I welcoming trouble?
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

"Let me get this straight, you let this guy call you Nose? And you call him Face?" Magnus asks as soon as Joey finishes up with his mental comm call. "That's chill. Maybe we can all be body parts. Dibs on being the big, swinging ... Fist."

Grinning, Magnus sinks back into the car's molded seating.

"Plan sounds fine. Offer to sell 'em their shit back. If they don't bite, we figure out what we got and look for someone else interested."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

"Let me get this straight, you let this guy call you Nose? And you call him Face?" Magnus asks as soon as Joey finishes up with his mental comm call. "That's chill. Maybe we can all be body parts. Dibs on being the big, swinging ... Fist."
Fat joey looks at Magnus. ”Yeah!! I like it. Fist it is. Who is mouth? Does that make Edwin, here, the feet or the legs?? Haha.” He then looks out the window for a second.
“Uh Nose, sounds like your hot. Am I welcoming trouble?”

”No. We are good for now. But it was hairy for a bit.’ Joey returns to his normal seating. ”sorry. Responding to my friend. He was asking about pursuit. So I let him know we are clear for now.” He then relaxes and enjoys the ride.
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Zeke Walker wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:08 am Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

Zack listened to Harris’ suggestion while Fat Joey called in a friend.

"I think you've watched too many crime movies kid." His tone is friendly, like poking at a younger sibling or cousin, not derogatory. 'But I'll entertain the idea and show why it's unlikely. First of all, doing things like that is just bad business, even if they use guys like us word gets out and the bosses got no crews willing to work for em. Hard to be a boss with no crews to do the work. Secondly, these guys weren't quite like us. Meaning scrappy independents trying to work their way into the game. Their gear is pretty nice and I'd bet if we had faced them in a straight up fight instead of accidentally ambushing them it may not have gone so well. So not the type of guys they'd generally throw away. Ergo, probably not as dire as your worst case. That said they may well still try that with us, so we're gonna research the target first so try and gage that probability." Harris gives a confident smile then looks forlornly at his unlit cigarette.

Placing it back in the pack he decides to get to work before they hit the meet-up. Maybe he could read something useful from their gear. "I should have enough time to do a reading before we get to the market. Maybe they talked to their boss or a fixer on one of these." He picks one of their phones and begins to focus his psionic power. Un fortunately the ride over the poor roads in the district prove too distracting and he gets nothing.
Psionics to cast Object Reading
Psionics [dice:2k55wbx6]51596:0[/dice:2k55wbx6]
Wild [dice:2k55wbx6]51596:1[/dice:2k55wbx6]
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

The crew piles into Fisk's vehicle and they make their way out of the industrial district long before the ISS shows up to investigate the disturbance. Uncertain on what to do with the disc they've discovered, they decide to meet up with a contact of Joey's who might be able to provide some information, both on the disc and on those who

As the Fisk makes his way to the address provided by Joey's mysterious contact, they notice a change in the scenery around them. It is hard to imagine level 4 having a distinctly impoverished area, considering how run down the level as a whole is. But as the vehicle rolls into the Unpowered district, it is obvious that this is truly the poor area of the level.

Where the rest of Level four has a constantly underlying cacophony of sounds, from hissing pipes with leaks not worth repairing to the grinding of machine whose gears should have been replaced decades ago, the Unpowered district is eerily silent. The valves that control the flow of steam from the generators to this district have been closed for years; the leaks in the area being so great that the generators couldn't handle additional load. The motors and generators that provide light and air flow to the area have fallen into disrepair, leaving the district dark, quite, and with an inescapable stale stink of human...and other....life. Refuse litters the streets, and rats run freely between the piles in search of their next meal.

Fisk pulls up to grocery store - one of the only open shops in the strip of buildings. The one and only clerk, a waifish teenage boy with hard eyes and a couple of missing teeth, reaches underneath the counter with an oft repeated familiarity, but pauses as you draw closer. Recognizing you from "Face's" description, he motions to a back door with his head, and you climb a creaky staircase up to the second floor. After a quick tap on the door, it opens to reveal a nondescript, but clean for the area, room with some basic equipment - including some cots - and enough space to house the entire party comfortably.

Alright. Sounded like there were two main camps for what to do with the disc. Try and crack into it and get some information off of it, or try to identify your attackers and reach out to whoever they worked for and try to sell the disc back to them.

The first requires a knowledge computers at -4, with a raise hiding any evidence that the info on the disc was accessed.

The second requires a string of skills. First investigation with no penalty will help you identify one of your attackers. Streetwise at -2 will help you find someone who knows who they work for and persuasion at -4 will convince them to share the details with you. Of course, a little grease (in the form of 5,000 credits) will help the information flow a little smoother, dropping the penalty to -2. One skill per person please, and support rolls can be any skill that makes narrative sense. O, this will also take about 12 hours to accomplish, and its currently a little past 1am (your meeting started at 9pm and went for a couple of hours), so you might need some rest.

Please post a notice roll with your post, which will normally be par for the course when not in combat.
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Noticed That Did You? _
[*] Notice [dice:3cwuijd4]51710:0[/dice:3cwuijd4]
[*] Wild [dice:3cwuijd4]51710:1[/dice:3cwuijd4]
[*] Aced! Wild [dice:3cwuijd4]51710:2[/dice:3cwuijd4]
Asher greets the team at the door and nods to each memeber respectively as they enter the room single file. As @Joey aka: Fat Joey is the last of the team to enter, Asher slips him a cred stick.
Finder's Fee _
1000 cr Cred Stick
With everyone through the doorway, Asher taps a switch inside the room and the warning relay is activated underneath the counter downstairs. It is a remote alarm and will leave with Asher.

Rolling the door shut, Asher locks it. Putting an old 2 by 4 into the brackets on either side of the door, he then slides a few crates of food stuffs in front of it. Motioning to the cots and various food crates for seats. "Joey, these your new pack mates?"

He walks to the far end of the room and sits down behind a makeshift table. On the table sits a red helmet and matching red gauntlets. The gauntlets are wired into a holovid screen that is currently cycling through four views in and near the grocery store.

"What can I do for you?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

AsherBlack wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:44 pm
"What can I do for you?"
Pulling out a smoke now that he's out of Fisk's ride Harris looks inquisitively at their host for permission. Asher nods somewhat reluctantly and pulls an empty soup can from the recycling pile. Harris weighs how much to tell the new guy as he lights up with a nod of gratitude. Fuck it, no harm in the full story "We were leaving a meet with a fixer today in the industrial district and walked into a chase scene. Some chump slams into us, slips this" Harris holds up a data disc and places it on the table. "into our guys pocket. The goons chasing him probably assumed we were with him and began to open fire. We took offense to that and... it went poorly for them. Joey has pics of the goons and the mark. We'd like to try and ID them and see who they were working for. If said boss is the reasonable sort we'll approach him with his untouched disc, explain how we got it, and offer it's return hopefully for a profit and impressing a potential future employer. Worst case we keep trouble off our backs while we're doing the work we contracted for. If he's the vindictive sort or prone to bad deals well it's trouble either so we way may as well crack the disc and see what we have. And if we can ID the mark and who he worked for we'll have a ready made market" Harris then lays out the phones from the attackers, "They had these, burners. I can examine them psychically and maybe get something. Also perhaps there's useful data buffered in them?"
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

"I appreciate the straight answer early." Looking at Harris.

Seemingly unphased by the smoke that hangs in the air, "Let me tell you what I can do for you."

"One, this location is off the beaten path for at least the next eight hours." Pointing to the holovid projector, "I have eyes on nearly everything around here."

"Two, I deal in information and speciically I broker that information."

"Three, I run communications and survellience. Sort of a one stop shop for anything intel related."

Taping the disk, " @Joey aka: Fat Joey, You or someone else have the mugs of the stiffs you left behind?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

AsherBlack wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:29 pm "I appreciate the straight answer early." Looking at Harris.

Seemingly unphased by the smoke that hangs in the air, "Let me tell you what I can do for you."

"One, this location is off the beaten path for at least the next eight hours." Pointing to the holovid projector, "I have eyes on nearly everything around here."

"Two, I deal in information and speciically I broker that information."

"Three, I run communications and survellience. Sort of a one stop shop for anything intel related."

Taping the disk, " @Joey aka: Fat Joey, You or someone else have the mugs of the stiffs you left behind?"
"Well, I guess a pay conversation is in order. I suppose you could ask for a straight fee, you'd help with leg work and once we know who's who, you'd be on your merry way. Or, unless any of the guys object, you come on as a partner. No upfront but in the end you get an even cut for good or ill." Despite his slightly disheveled appearance Harris smiles a warm winning smile that's almost supernatural in it's charm. "And if this works out for everyone, we are in the market for a hacker. And about to start a job."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Harris LaVode wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 pm "Well, I guess a pay conversation is in order. I suppose you could ask for a straight fee, you'd help with leg work and once we know who's who, you'd be on your merry way. Or, unless any of the guys object, you come on as a partner. No upfront but in the end you get an even cut for good or ill." Despite his slightly disheveled appearance Harris smiles a warm winning smile that's almost supernatural in it's charm. "And if this works out for everyone, we are in the market for a hacker. And about to start a job."
"Well, I am not one to argue with an opportunity for steady pay. If nothing else, I can help keep the heat off of Joey here by assisting you all now."

Looking around, Asher surmises Joey has the photos but decides to ask instead. "Digital photos of the perps and the scene correct? Who has them and may I have access to them?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

Zeke looked around, taking in this Asher’s room and the security on the door. He pulled off his helmet and pushed back his sweaty hair. He didn’t have the photos himself, so until they had a lead, there wasn’t much for him to do.

It was late, so Joey moved over to one of the cots, sitting down and leaning back against the wall. It would be too much effort to remove the Cannonball armor he wore.

“Wake me up when we have a lead,” Zeke said.
OOC Comments
Zeke has some Streetwise and Persuasion, if needed, but others are probably better.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Notice
Notice [dice:1aj05dl9]51922:0[/dice:1aj05dl9]
Wild [dice:1aj05dl9]51922:1[/dice:1aj05dl9]
Magnus lets Harris take the lead negotiating with the new guy, who looks like an egghead but seems to be a pro. Instead, Magnus makes a loop around the hideout, which is the sort of shithole so bad it's good, cause no one will want to come looking.

"Nap sounds good, but I could do with a bite first," he says, spotting a makeshift shelf against the far wall with a few unopened cans. He wipes the dust off the labels to get a better look.

"Barbecue Patriot O's? Didn't they discontinue these, like, two years ago?" He checks the label. "Yep, looks like they did. Awwww ... the hell with it. I get food poisoning and the nanites will keep me from kicking off."

Pulling out his ornate dagger, Magnus slices the top off the can, then slams the o-shaped "pasta" like a beer. He grimaces for a moment at the taste, then shrugs. "Ain't worse than Mom's borsch. Anyone else peckish?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Magnus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm
Notice
Notice [dice:2g09kp2r]51922:0[/dice:2g09kp2r]
Wild [dice:2g09kp2r]51922:1[/dice:2g09kp2r]
Magnus lets Harris take the lead negotiating with the new guy, who looks like an egghead but seems to be a pro. Instead, Magnus makes a loop around the hideout, which is the sort of shithole so bad it's good, cause no one will want to come looking.

"Nap sounds good, but I could do with a bite first," he says, spotting a makeshift shelf against the far wall with a few unopened cans. He wipes the dust off the labels to get a better look.

"Barbecue Patriot O's? Didn't they discontinue these, like, two years ago?" He checks the label. "Yep, looks like they did. Awwww ... the hell with it. I get food poisoning and the nanites will keep me from kicking off."

Pulling out his ornate dagger, Magnus slices the top off the can, then slams the o-shaped "pasta" like a beer. He grimaces for a moment at the taste, then shrugs. "Ain't worse than Mom's borsch. Anyone else peckish?"
"You are more than welcome to the old stuff." Asher opens a crate near the table and catches @Magnus's eyes over the edge of the can. "This stuff is only a week old if you are still hungry after eating the Shit O's"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4
Night
Round 0

“Mom packed me a lunch,” Zeke said, pulling a paper bag out of his pack. He realized how that sounded. “Um, I mean, I brought my own…” He looked embarrassed as he pulled out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the crusts cut off, and a bottle of chocolate milk.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Magnus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:49 pm Pulling out his ornate dagger, Magnus slices the top off the can, then slams the o-shaped "pasta" like a beer. He grimaces for a moment at the taste, then shrugs. "Ain't worse than Mom's borsch. Anyone else peckish?"

"Thats... Fisk is interrupted by a chime on on his mobile. He looks at the message and his face turns serious.

"I gotta take this..." He say's, as he pulls up the the cross bar and steps out into the hallway, letting the door close behind him.

After a few minutes, he re-enters looking a little chagrined.

"So... somethings come up that I absolutely have to take care of. Don't know how long it will take, but just in case I called in a favor. A contact of mine by the name of Kaelin is going to swing by to help with transport. Given, her ride isn't quite as stylish as mine, but she'll take care of you until I can return."

Without an further adieu, Fisk walks out the door, letting it close behind him. A few seconds later, you hear the vehicle fire up and peel out of the parking lot.
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Notice 3
Notice [dice:3hhgwdea]52421:0[/dice:3hhgwdea]
Wild [dice:3hhgwdea]52421:1[/dice:3hhgwdea]
Kaelin frowned as she brought the battered cargo hauler to a halt, the Unpowered District was an area she normally avoided save for forays where she ventured into the District to scavenge for spare parts. It reminded her of the ghetto where she grew up, wherever that actually was, but somehow it was even more desolate. The District was certainly derelict, though Kaelin was more unnerved by how seemingly devoid of life it was save for the signs that…something lurked here in the shadows.

She had her doubts about the job that Fisk had roped her into doing, admittedly she badly needed the credits and so couldn’t really say no. Kaelin was fully aware that her short stature, emphasised by the baggy and oil-stained overalls she wore, made her prime prey material for whatever nasty lurked here. The fact that she was a few inches short of five inches wasn’t bad enough, some of her physical features could mark her out for attention from the wrong crowd. So far she’d been lucky, but that luck could only go so far.

Warily, she climbed down from the cab of the hauler and glanced about. The only building that didn’t appear to be abandoned and seemed to match the location that Fisk had given her was a store of some description. With little else to go on she headed over to it, though she warily glanced about to check for sudden and unsavoury company. Inside the store, the only person she could find was a sour-faced teenager manning the counter.

”Erm, hey…” Kaelin said a little awkwardly, with a peculiar accent, as she approached the counter. ”Got sent here. Fisk, if ye know the name?”

She looked expectantly at the boy, hoping that she’d come to the right place and wasn’t about to get herself into serious trouble.
Note to Other Players
Kaelin is a D-Bee, but has made some effort to hide physical features that would make her stand out in order to pass as ‘human’. A Notice roll may reveal some of these features.

Success – You notice her hands only have four digits rather than the Human norm of five.

1 Raise - Though covered by her hair, you spot that Kaelin’s ears are pointed and green.

2 Raises – There seems to be something in one of the trouser legs of her overalls that twitches every so often.

Otherwise she seems to be a short woman with a light build in her late teens/early twenties with dark hair and pale skin.
Main Account: Stormwell
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher hears the foot falls of someone approaching and the sensor did not light up he stands waiting as @Kaelin joins the rest of the team in the clean room.

"Come on recommendation of Fisk?"

Inspecting _
[*] Notice [dice:2e6e4dcu]52443:0[/dice:2e6e4dcu]
[*] Wild [dice:2e6e4dcu]52443:1[/dice:2e6e4dcu]
Asher's curiosity is piqued.

"Ms. Kaelin, there will be time for familiarization. Please secure the door."

@Joey aka: Fat Joey "Joey, you have the data to be analyzed?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Notice 17
Notice [dice:37bs8no2]52444:0[/dice:37bs8no2]
Wild [dice:37bs8no2]52444:1[/dice:37bs8no2]

Notice explodes [dice:37bs8no2]52444:2[/dice:37bs8no2]
Wild explodes [dice:37bs8no2]52444:3[/dice:37bs8no2]
"Yeah..." Kaelin nodded. "He said something 'bouts ye needing a driver."

Though it seemed the guy was more interested in something else, so did everyone else for that matter. With a sigh she looked for somewhere to sit before settling down. The group appeared to be greatly interested in some item, a disc far as she could tell. They'd acquired it from somewhere, though Kaelin hoped that trouble wasn't going to come following after it if she was going to be working with this crew for a while.

She mulled whether to straight ask about the disc or go with ignorance as the best policy.
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher motions to one of the cots along the walls. " @Kaelin, have a seat. Relax."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Kaelin mumbles an acknowledgement and sits herself down, if a little awkwardly, on the indicated cot. She makes herself comfortable before saying out loud. "So...wot ye guys doing?"

"Wot I'm getting meself inta and all that."
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Kaelin wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:51 pm Kaelin mumbles an acknowledgement and sits herself down, if a little awkwardly, on the indicated cot. She makes herself comfortable before saying out loud. "So...wot ye guys doing?"

"Wot I'm getting meself inta and all that."
"Short version, today we're trying to ID some dead goons so we can figure out who their boss is. We accidently came into possession of what they were looking for and we want to sell or trade it to them to smooth things over. Or, if they're unforgiving we find another buyer." The mildly unkept man is charming if somewhat ordinary looking. He extinguishes a cigarette and stands to shake her hand, exposing a tattoo on the back of his hand denoting him a registered psi. "Harris Lavode. I do people work, plans, and bits of other things. Hopefully this should be done by tonight after some footwork and negotiation. As you're filling in for Fisk you can have his cut." He looks to the others and holds his hands out soliciting consent or any concerns.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

"Yeah, I got it"@Joey aka: Fat Joey says, grabbing a cable attached to @AsherBlack's console. He raises it questioningly, making sure he wont get fried if he plugs in.

When he gets the go ahead, he plugs in, uploading high res images that then start to populate on the screen. The faces are typical of the types that are employed as enforcers. Most are thick in the skull and heavy in brow, with strong jawlines. All indicative a brawny size. A couple of smaller, shrewder faces are mixed in. One is overwhelmingly hawk-nosed with an olive complexion, the other dark of skin with a distinct white scar running down his left cheek.
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Introducing Kaelin:
"Pretty much, yeah," Magnus says around a mouthful of not-quite-expired Purity Shellz-n-Cheez. "Killed some guys, took their shit, trying to sell their shit back to their bosses. Not sure what the shit is, but if things go south we'll think of something else. Probably involve you driving real fast while people shoot at us, so hopefully you're cool with that."

Wiping a big, scarred hand on his pants first, he holds it out to the diminutive woman to shake.

"Name's Magnus. I'm the muscle. Or the ... what body part did we decide I was? The Hand? The Fist? Is that a body part, or like, a gesture?" he asks, cracking open another can of processed pasta. "There's food if you're hungry. Just help yourself."

When the disc's contents start appearing:
"What the hell is this? Some sort of catalogue for meat-heads? Prison dating app? Hit list?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Notice 5
Notice [dice:kmut6q13]52578:0[/dice:kmut6q13]
Wild [dice:kmut6q13]52578:1[/dice:kmut6q13]
Chi-Town/Level 4/Unpowered District
Night
Round 0

Zeke looked up as the small woman entered. “Hey,” he greeted. “Welcome to the team.” The young man was boyishly handsome, with dark blonde hair. He looked like he wasn’t even twenty yet, and he was eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich -- with the crusts cut off. He wore a long coat over street rider armor, and a sawed off shotgun with strange markings almost like white snowflakes etched on the stock leaned against the wall next to where he sat on one of the cots near where she settled. He also appeared to have more standard small arms, a heavy ion pistol, neural mace, and vibro-knife.

Zeke studied Kaelin curiously. Had he noticed she was missing fingers when she came in?

“I’m Zeke,” he introduced himself. “I guess I’m the team...specialist.” He didn’t really clarify what that meant.
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Thank ye." Kaelin replied in her slightly odd accent. "Though I'd prefer ta avoid people shooting at us."

"Me rig ain't nothing fancy, just a battered hauler I've kept patched together." Explained Kaelin. "It may look like junk, but it'll surprise ye and I can without a few bullet holes in it."

Kaelin leaned forward to glance at the images on the console, they looked like your round-of-the-mill thugs that seemed atypical no matter wherever you were. It was possible she'd seen these faces about, but she wasn't certain.

Note to GM
Smarts roll to see whether Kaelin recognizes/seen any of the faces about.

Smarts [dice:1thql0ds]52586:0[/dice:1thql0ds]
Wild [dice:1thql0ds]52586:1[/dice:1thql0ds]
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Quote John Smith _
The second requires a string of skills.
First Investigation with no penalty will help you identify one of your attackers.
Streetwise at -2 will help you find someone who knows who they work for and
Persuasion at -4 will convince them to share the details with you. Of course, a little grease (in the form of 5,000 credits) will help the information flow a little smoother, dropping the penalty to -2.
One skill per person please, and support rolls can be any skill that makes narrative sense. O, this will also take about 12 hours to accomplish, and its currently a little past 1am (your meeting started at 9pm and went for a couple of hours), so you might need some rest.
Asher's Skill Set _
[*] Investigation d6
[*] Streetwise d6
[*] Persuassion d4
Asher has non-traceable cred sticks available should we need to grease pams
Asher lightly places his fingers on the awkward computer setup, "The processor on my Fire Baby, can comb through details. You know a bit of investigative work. Anyone care to lend a hand?"

Investigation First _
Investigation 7
Field Comp Specs, Investigation +2
  • Investigation [dice:2sa2psx0]52601:0[/dice:2sa2psx0]
  • Wild [dice:2sa2psx0]52601:1[/dice:2sa2psx0]
@Harris LaVode in your court. How do we play this?
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Kaelin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:14 am "Thank ye." Kaelin replied in her slightly odd accent. "Though I'd prefer ta avoid people shooting at us."

"Me rig ain't nothing fancy, just a battered hauler I've kept patched together." Explained Kaelin. "It may look like junk, but it'll surprise ye and I can without a few bullet holes in it."

Kaelin leaned forward to glance at the images on the console, they looked like your round-of-the-mill thugs that seemed atypical no matter wherever you were. It was possible she'd seen these faces about, but she wasn't certain.]
"That's high on our list of priorities too and really what this job is about. He looks thoughtful when she describes her ride. "Don't need fancy today. Just a ride that can serve as a mobile command post is perfect. And the beat up cargo hauler may be of use in other jobs. Fisk has a sweet ride but down here it sticks out sometimes."
AsherBlack wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:31 pm
Asher lightly places his fingers on the awkward computer setup, "The processor on my Fire Baby, can comb through details. You know a bit of investigative work. Anyone care to lend a hand?"

Investigation First _
Investigation 7
Field Comp Specs, Investigation +2
  • Investigation [dice:3o52vwqf]52601:0[/dice:3o52vwqf]
  • Wild [dice:3o52vwqf]52601:1[/dice:3o52vwqf]
@Harris LaVode in your court. How do we play this?
Looking over the info brokers rig Harris looks satisfied. They talk specs as they data search and the detective shows off his new computer. Unfortunately it doesn't help him much as his backdoors into the ISS files had been closed. (Can't roll to assist, leading persuasion roll)

He nods appreciatively at Asher's quick assembly of a list despite his minimal assistance. "Now the lot of us do some footwork to find out who knows them and convince them to tell us who their boss was. Then, depending on who it is, we reach out to them." Turning to the napping guys. "Rise and shine team, time to hit the streets."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

ROLLS -
Streetwise [dice:1pge5yw6]52706:0[/dice:1pge5yw6] (1+Skillport)
Wild: [dice:1pge5yw6]52706:1[/dice:1pge5yw6]
Investigator (N1): +2 Streetwise

Joey opens one eye from his relaxed position. ” I can send out a message. Maybe I know a guy who knows a guy who may know something.” He sits up and taps his comms. ” first I will see if any of the old guards I used to know will help. Then I will try to see if the gang knows anything. I hope I am not pushing my luck with them.” He looks around a holds up a finger, as he moves away for some quiet. ’ Whoa, joey. You already asked for help. Nope, I ain't pushing my luck.” He turns back to the others. ” I already asked my guys for assistance. *Waves his hand around, indicating the hideout.* Let me see the pics again, with the data collected, maybe it will jog something in my head.”. Joey moves to the computer and looks thru the info.

OOC - joey will give the 5k if need
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

"Tracking people down isn't really my bag," Magnus says. "But I can come along and encourage your victi... uh, contacts, to engage in non-violent communication."

The big prize fighter grins and flexes, making the corded muscles in his shoulders pop and ripple.

Intimidate 13 as a support roll, so +2 for whoever needs it
Intimidate [dice:lj9g48vq]52709:0[/dice:lj9g48vq]
Wild [dice:lj9g48vq]52709:1[/dice:lj9g48vq] = Ace! [dice:lj9g48vq]52709:2[/dice:lj9g48vq]
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Notice 6
Notice [dice:vgzz8bh7]52778:2[/dice:vgzz8bh7]
Wild [dice:vgzz8bh7]52778:3[/dice:vgzz8bh7]
Following up on Joey's leads Harris and Magnus hit the streets and look up the people in the know.
Persuasion 8
Modifiers; scene -4, charismatic +2, Powerful Presence +2, Magus assist +2, Bribe +2 = +4
Persuasion [dice:vgzz8bh7]52778:0[/dice:vgzz8bh7]
Wild [dice:vgzz8bh7]52778:1[/dice:vgzz8bh7]
With some help from Magnus' menacing glares and bit of scratch passed around they come up with an ID on who the goons worked for.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Night
Round 0

Zeke hit the streets as well, looking up his contacts for their help, too.
Streetwise 4
Streetwise [dice:1dgupa2m]52890:0[/dice:1dgupa2m]
Wild [dice:1dgupa2m]52890:1[/dice:1dgupa2m]
Character Tracker
Shotgun
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Asher uses one of the benefits of Chi town - a working internet - to try and identify the faces of the earlier attackers.

After running an algorithm against the ISS public database of wanted criminals he gets a name. "Tharn Blackshield", the dark skinned man the scar, is...was a known black market enforcer. Multiple counts of murder and rape assuage anyone who may have regretted the deadly force used during the recent battle.

The ISS public file contains a list of known contacts. Joey and Zeke immediately gets to work. Thanks to their contacts on the street, in a few hours they are able to get the name of a cousin of Tharn's along with a location where he can usually be found.

Harris and Magnus end up the cracked helm - a run-down bar with a reputation as a place to hire individuals with a particular set of skills if you need something done discreetly. Loud an unruly, with a heavy haze that is a mix of cigar smoke steam rolling off the nearby power plant, the side tables make an excellent place to discuss sensitive issues without being heard.

Harris and Magnus walk in and immediately locate Tharn's cousin based on Joey's information. More than one head turns following Magnus the Red, whose reputation is well known among the thugs for hire at the Helm.

Between some quick talking by Harris and the imposing figure of Magnus standing behind him, the two manage to convince Tharn's cousin and his crew not to beat on the two interlopers when Harris mentions the late Tharn. They get little else out of the half drunk bruisers. At least, they are given little else. Amid the threats and insults, Harris is able to pick out a name for Tharn's employer from the mind of his cousin.

"Cassandra Lefluer" is a name no-one needs to research. A political rival of James Shepherd - "Slim Jim" as is he known on the streets - Cassandra has been vying for Slim Jim's position on as the administrator of the treasury for levels 4 through 10. Known as a sly politician, Cassandra rumored to have connections the run deep into the Black Market establishment here in Chi-town. Stunningly beautiful - or surgically enhanced depending on the propaganda you buy into, there is one thing about Cassandra that everyone knows. She is used to getting what she wants, and will stop at nothing to keep it that way.

Cassandra's main offices are up the 7th level, though she has been known to make appearances in even in level 4 on some business pretense or another. She has a local office with small staff in the central spire of level 4.
8 or higher on your last notice roll
As events of the last 12 or so hours unfold you notice that there seems to a few people hanging around the neighborhood of grocery store without any apparent purpose. Never more than one at a time, they come and go every couple of hours, and definitely seem to have an interest in the place you are staying for one reason or another
12 or higher
Though the person is good with disguises, it is clear to you that these "people" who seem to come and go are all the same person, simply trying to be less suspicious by occasionally changing outfits as they scope out the grocery store.
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher has been monitoring the exterior sense the team split to fill its various rolls. With Kaelin and Joey still in second floor "safe house", Asher decides to communicate with the rest of the team. Asher taps the mic inside his helmet, "Last week's garbage is suddenly this week's special. The site is compromised. Thirty to clear."

The clean up of the "safe house" begins with Asher pushing his red button on the second floor. Within ten minutes, tennets from the area surrounding the grocery begin flocking in. Groceries and various other sundries are carried out and the boy at the counter checks off every item and every individual in or out.

@Kaelin "Time to use your big rig, lady. Many of these people could use a ride to their various dwellings. Help load them up and drop them off."

@Joey aka: Fat Joey "Slip down the stairs with the next group and head around the back of the grocery store. I need your eyes on a group of suspicious characters at the junction of Hunterside and Vine. Should be a block south of our location."

As people and supplies are leaving, Asher suits up in his cherry red cannonball armor and stows the few other items from the safehouse in the various pockets. Taking a heavy set of drapes from off the floor, he throughs the cloak around his shoulders and heads down with another group, carrying food and supplies. As he passes the boy clerk he collects the remaining alarm and the commissary list.

Carrying his load of supplies, he heads for his rally point with his personal ride and a delivery to a local single parent family with a couple of kids, a little more down on their luck than the rest. Delivering the goods, he discards the cloak, and saddles up on Fire Baby and waits for Joey to give the signal that he has identified the individual in question.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Yeah, sure...fine..." Grumbled Kaelin, before she quietly added. "Nice o' ya ta say please."

Asher seemed to had noticed the guy hanging around outside, who Kaelin had also spotted. She'd been wondering what the guy was up to and why he was wearing a different outfit each time she saw him, though Asher thought the guy was trouble. Regardless, she did as ordered and head outside to help load up her hauler with stock from the shop.

She knelt down by the hauler to inspect its chassis, though she also kept an eye on the man.

To GM
Notice to check that the hauler hasn't been tampered with, also to see what the guy does.

Notice [dice:1rxh0uhj]53045:0[/dice:1rxh0uhj]
Wild [dice:1rxh0uhj]53045:1[/dice:1rxh0uhj]
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Kaelin's thorough inspection of her vehicle turns up a small tracking device planted underneath her rear bumper. The LED on the small device blinks continuously, indicating that it is transmitting.
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

John Smith wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 1:38 pm Kaelin's thorough inspection of her vehicle turns up a small tracking device planted underneath her rear bumper. The LED on the small device blinks continuously, indicating that it is transmitting.
Asher notes that the hauler has not left yet and decides it best to give @Kaelin a personal ring.
"Kaelin. Sorry for the rush. Everyone you met in my safehouse, has secrets they would rather others not know about. I think you can understand that. Will you be able to help these folks out?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Cassandra Lefleur, huh? Daaaaaaamn. I'd let a Grackle use me for a battering ram if it meant some one-on-one time with her," Magnus says, a twinkle in his eye. "Heard she used to slum with the go-go crowd over at the Blue Dwarf, but they say that about all the billboard babes."

When Asher's message comes in about abandoning the safehouse, Magnus nods to Harris.

"Have 'em message me when they decide on a new spot. I got a thing I need to take care of back home, catch up with the rest of you soon as I can."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Huh..." Kaelin muttered, not the least bit surprised in finding something she'd been half-expecting to find.
AsherBlack wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:35 pm"Kaelin. Sorry for the rush. Everyone you met in my safehouse, has secrets they would rather others not know about. I think you can understand that. Will you be able to help these folks out?"
Kaelin yelped in surprise as Asher's voice crackled over the radio, causing her to headbutt the hauler and issue a stream of curses in a language Asher didn't recognise.

"Some git put some gizmo on me hauler." She said rather bluntly. "Dunno 'bouts ye, but I rather not bring it back with me."

To Our Glorious GM
Attempting two rolls in relation to the device.

Knowledge (Electronics) to study the device; [dice:181w67sv]53088:0[/dice:181w67sv]
Wild [dice:181w67sv]53088:1[/dice:181w67sv]

Repair (plus any bonuses from previous roll) to remove device [dice:181w67sv]53088:2[/dice:181w67sv]
Wild [dice:181w67sv]53088:3[/dice:181w67sv]

Wild explodes [dice:181w67sv]53088:4[/dice:181w67sv]

Total: 10
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Kaelin has no trouble popping off the tracker installed on the underside of the crawler. A quick inspection of the small bug, and she realized that with a little time, she might be able to backtrack the signal and find the location of the receiver.

Of course, if she disables the receiver, whoever is on the other end may just as likely turn the receiver off. Or they may not...

You can turn the device off with no skill roll needed. Backtracking the signal is Electronics at -2. A success gives you a city block, a raise would narrow it down to a specific building in an apartment (generally speaking on level of accuracy). Will take a hour or so to do.
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Hey, this gizmo is sending a signal someplace." Kaelin called out over the radio to @AsherBlack. "Reckon I cans figure out wheres."

"Or I could just junk it..."
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Kaelin wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:02 pm "Hey, this gizmo is sending a signal someplace." Kaelin called out over the radio to @AsherBlack. "Reckon I cans figure out wheres."

"Or I could just junk it..."
"If you feel comfortable pinging it. Do it. Otherwise place it at a stop along the way on some derelict beater and we can come back to it."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"OK, gots a plan..." Kaya said over the radio. "If ye can do something fancy and track me signal then great, if not I'll radio again buts might need some company."

"Gonna find some 'derelict beater' as ye say and put the device there, buts I'll also try ta backtrack the signal from there."

Kaelin popped the device in a pocket and then climbed into the driver's seat of the hauler, then drove the battered vehicle down the road. She did a few circuits of the road network, all the while keeping an eye out for a suitable wrecked vehicle. Once she'd found one, she wound down the cab window and threw the device into the wreck before driving the hauler a little further down the road before coming back to the wrecked vehicle on foot.

She glanced round warily before getting to work.

Rolls
Notice [dice:2u5u8odz]53127:0[/dice:2u5u8odz]
Wild [dice:2u5u8odz]53127:1[/dice:2u5u8odz]

Knowledge (Electronics) roll to backtrack signal [dice:2u5u8odz]53127:2[/dice:2u5u8odz]
Wild [dice:2u5u8odz]53127:3[/dice:2u5u8odz]
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Night
Round 0

“Cassandra Lafleur. Wow,” Zeke commented. “She’s as close to royalty on this level.”

With the safe house burned, Zeke went out with the others, doing what he could. “How are we going to get a message to CL? Just leave a note at her office?”
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Zeke Walker wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 am Chi-Town/Level 4/Unpowered District
Night
Round 0

“Cassandra Lafleur. Wow,” Zeke commented. “She’s as close to royalty on this level.”

With the safe house burned, Zeke went out with the others, doing what he could. “How are we going to get a message to CL? Just leave a note at her office?”
"I think a fellow ex-cop is working security analysis for her. After we help out with getting Asher's place cleared I'll give him a ring."

As they return to the no longer safe house, Harris catches up with Joey to scope the lurkers. "I'll scout with Joey, see what I can pull from their minds. Maybe we can see who else is involved in the sideshow." They move to a decent vantage, hoping to remain unseen. Once they have a decent view they study their marks for a few minuets in an attempt to ID which is the alpha.
Stealth 4
Stealth [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:0[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Wild [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:1[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Bennie to reroll
Stealth [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:4[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Wild [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:5[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Notice 19
Notice [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:2[/dice:1dzbg0av] Ace [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:6[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Wild [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:3[/dice:1dzbg0av] Ace [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:7[/dice:1dzbg0av]
While he's fairly certain he was spotted the thugs don't engage immediately, talking among themselves. "I'm gonna be a little out of it as I do this, let me know if things get interesting." When he's pretty sure he knows who's in charge he reaches out to touch the woman's mind, focusing more energy and focus into it than he had been previously capable of.
Ex Mindreading 8
Costs: Ex Mindread 6, 4 to boost casting +2, total 8
Psionics [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:9[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Wild [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:8[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Bennie to reroll
Psionics [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:10[/dice:1dzbg0av]
Wild [dice:1dzbg0av]53325:11[/dice:1dzbg0av]
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Notice [dice:1qtesrus]53370:0[/dice:1qtesrus]
Keen Sense of Smell (Racial): +2 Notice and Tracking rolls.
Expanded Detection and Security Array (1) - Strain: 2 - This grants a +2 to Notice checks
Optics Package (1) - Strain: 1 - +2 all sight-based Notice checks; night vision (ignore illumination penalties)
Psychic Sense (Racial): Use the Notice skill (+2) to detect the presence and location of psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. can also use the Tracking skill +2 to follow a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn’t work inside sealed armor or vehicles.

Wild Roll: [dice:1qtesrus]53370:1[/dice:1qtesrus]

Joey looks up from the computer and nods. ”On it.” He grabs his coat and, as he heads for the door, he throws it on. With a nod at the new girl, he heads outside. As he exits the door, he allows his psychic senses to activate. With aflip of his collar, joey makes sure his jacketis on right. ”Okay. Weapons ready and clear. Knuckles powered up. Armor is good. Now who is snooping?” Taking a breathe, he activates his cyber eye and lets his nose work. He will walk to the corner mentioned and lean on the wall as if waiting for someone.
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Rolls

Notice [dice:1qxlvrmo]53596:0[/dice:1qxlvrmo]
Wild [dice:1qxlvrmo]53596:1[/dice:1qxlvrmo]
The grocery store, previously devoid of activity becomes a hive a orchestrated motion when Asher signals to the nearby community that supplies are ready for pick-up. Asher is at the center of it, organizing who gets what as quickly as possible. Magnus and Harris return from their outing to the Cracked Helm, and Magnus uses the chaos to slip out discretely.

While Zeke and Asher stay behind to help unload, Harris and Joey sneak out to investigate the whoever has been scouting the store. They climb up to the third story of a building across from a spot where they've noticed the watcher a couple of times. Their efforts are rewarded when a man of medium build with slicked back brown hair and a thick walrus mustache appears in the Alley.
Ricky.jpg
Ricky.jpg (28.39 KiB) Viewed 41439 times
Out of ear-shot the two can tell them man is not happy about the flurry activity around the store. His thoughts are a string of expletives as he whips out a mobile and hits the #1 for speed-dial. Joey's enhance vision catch a name on the screen just as the stranger raises it to his ear

Slim Jim

While Harris can't what is being said, he can pick up on some of the stray thoughts of the stranger.

Of course I've thought about stealing it you...Watch it Ricky....Really don't want to piss these guys off though....or maybes....they are pretty capable....you knows that just might work...what is that...Yeah, goodbye and you're welcome. prick.

The stranger...Ricky by the sound of it... hangs up and pockets the phone. He abruptly turns and looks at the shaded window where Harris and Joey are spying from

"Yous might at wells come down. I gots a proposition for yous" As if to signify not being a threat, he holds up his hand spins around and opens his cheap suitcoat, showing that he has no weapons on him. Harris doesn't sense any intent to attack them in his surface thoughts.

Feel free to do whatever you'd like with this invitation. I will try to keep up with smaller posts in response to what you guys do. if you do step out, feel free to list any questions you would want to ask, and I will try to get his answer for them in something resembling a conversation

Meanwhile as Kaelin attempts to backtrack the signal in her crawler, she is startled by a pounding noise on the side of the truck.

"Hey you in there!" A voice shouts from outside the vehicle. "I see you found my tracer. How 'bout you give it back and I'll save you the effort of figuring out the story behind it."

Assuming Kaelin opens the door to the crawler, she sees a lanky woman with deathly white skin. A purple mohawk adorns the top of her head, with the hair mostly shaved off at the sides. Its hard to count the piercings on her face and ears, as you inevitably lose track of which ones you've already counted. She is in otherwise simple garb, with torn pants and tight, non-descript tank top. A pistol is holstered at her hip, but the cover is clearly latched and she shows know sign of being ready to reach for it.
Splice.jpg
Splice.jpg (29.35 KiB) Viewed 41439 times
She sticks out her hand expectantly "Well come on, fork it over. If you do, I'll tell you all about that disc you guys picked up and why that creep Ricky has been hanging around that sad excuse for a store you guys are holed up in."

Throughout the conversation, the stranger introduces herself as Splice and that she works on behalf for Cassandra Lefluer's organization on level 4.

"Those were our guys that you whacked back in the industrial district. Luckily you couldnt keep your greedy hands of their stuff, and more than one of them had a tracer we planted on them. But don't worry, they were getting too damned expensive anyway. You did me a favor getting rid of the in the line of duty. Saves us from having to risk firing 'em and having them work for the opposition." Her attitude is completely flippant about the whole matter. Underneath the non-nonchalant attitude though, you sense that Splice is a dangerous individual.

Speaking of the opposition, that disc you've got is the second half of some juicy dirt on John Shepherd. Nothing of use to you, just details on how he's been siphoning funds out of what is supposed to go to his superiors accounts for his own, along with other little details that will piss off his bosses enough to fire him... or worse. Clears the path for Cassandra to get the Treasury position. And me a raise after all this shit... Any way, I know it ain't just you making the call, so..." Cassandra turns over her arm and flips open a panel built into the bottom of her forearm. After a couple of clicks she continues "I just reactivated one of the mobiles you swiped from Tharn and his crew. My number's in there. Give me a call once you guys are ready to negotiate a price.

She drops her flippant, punk-like attitude for just moment and her face turns deadly serious. "if I don't hear from you in the next 12 hours, I'll assume you guys are playing for the other team..." Her seriousness is gone as quickly as it came on. She turns her back and walks away, raising a hand as she says "Talk to you soon...sweet ride, by the way." she with what may or may not be hint of sarcasm.

Kaelin, feel free to continue the conversation that occured here, ask any questions you'd want. I've just detailed out how it ended here. More can occur in the middle if you want to role play it.
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Kaelin yelped in surprise as somebody suddenly pounded on the side of the truck, making her drop the tools she was using. Very cautiously she turned round and stood up to look at the person addressing her, Kaelin's eyes drifting to the pistol the woman had holstered at her hip.

"Here..." Said Kaelin, throwing the tracer at Splice. "Have the blasted thing."

"Lemme ask ye something; ye wanted the tracer ta be found?" Kaelin asked. "Yer gizmo stuck out like a sore thumb."

"Though I'll let the others know, tis up ta them anyway."

Kaelin waits until Splice disappears out of sight before heading over to where she'd parked the hauler, though once again she checked it over for any more surprises before trying to contact the others. "Um, yeah...things got interesting. Will explain when I meet up with ye lot."

Action
Notice roll to check over the hauler...again. [dice:3ozq4gfd]53653:0[/dice:3ozq4gfd]
Wild [dice:3ozq4gfd]53653:1[/dice:3ozq4gfd]
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher was just going to tap comms with the others when @Kaelin chimes in, Asher follows up with a bit of his own, "We just became hot items. Either the intel or the boosted gear from the stiffs. Something has stirred the hornets nests."

"It will take another week or so to find another safe house. Anyone have a location we can meet in?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Kaelin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:35 pm "Here..." Said Kaelin, throwing the tracer at Splice. "Have the blasted thing."
Splice catches the tracer with ease. She turns holds it up and turns it over between her fingers, examining it closely with a critical eye as if looking for something for the first time.
Kaelin wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 1:35 pm "Lemme ask ye something; ye wanted the tracer ta be found?" Kaelin asked. "Yer gizmo stuck out like a sore thumb."
Splice smiles slyly as she pockets the tracer. A gleam in her eye is the only answer she gives.

Kaelin doesnt find anything else out of the ordinary on her vehicle.
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Night
Round 0

Zeke finished up helping to load things from the store and then found a bunch of crates to sit on and wait for the others. “So what are we doing now?” the young man asked, unaware of the contacts others on the team had made. “We need somewhere to go if we’re burned.”
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

<<You guys wanna just meet at the Pit?>> Magnus ask over comms, referencing the fight club inside an old water reclamation vault near the Level Four mag-lift shafts. "Thursdays it's just drone fights, so the balcony should be clear. I know the manager, and he'll let us hang up there as long as we buy a couple of bottles of house liquor. The noise from the lifts makes it hard to eavesdrop up there, and you there's just the two stairwells, so easy to see anyone coming. Not that anybody looking to see their next birthday would start shit on Candy man's turf.>>
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

John Smith wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:54 pm

While Zeke and Asher stay behind to help unload, Harris and Joey sneak out to investigate the whoever has been scouting the store. They climb up to the third story of a building across from a spot where they've noticed the watcher a couple of times. Their efforts are rewarded when a man of medium build with slicked back brown hair and a thick walrus mustache appears in the Alley.

Ricky.jpg

Out of ear-shot the two can tell them man is not happy about the flurry activity around the store. His thoughts are a string of expletives as he whips out a mobile and hits the #1 for speed-dial. Joey's enhance vision catch a name on the screen just as the stranger raises it to his ear

Slim Jim

While Harris can't what is being said, he can pick up on some of the stray thoughts of the stranger.

Of course I've thought about stealing it you...Watch it Ricky....Really don't want to piss these guys off though....or maybes....they are pretty capable....you knows that just might work...what is that...Yeah, goodbye and you're welcome. prick.

The stranger...Ricky by the sound of it... hangs up and pockets the phone. He abruptly turns and looks at the shaded window where Harris and Joey are spying from

"Yous might at wells come down. I gots a proposition for yous" As if to signify not being a threat, he holds up his hand spins around and opens his cheap suitcoat, showing that he has no weapons on him. Harris doesn't sense any intent to attack them in his surface thoughts.
Giving Joey a shrug to indicate why not Harris heads down the stairs to talk to Ricky. "Well you certainly don't suck to have found us already." While he gives the man a no doubt expected hard look over the investigator also makes sure to keep his eyes on his surroundings. Looking for any partners the man may have or other interested parties. "What's your offer?"
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher takes Magnus's advice and decides to relocate once the scene clears and he can get in contact with @Kaelin and @Joey aka: Fat Joey.

Once he has confirmed with Kaelin and Joey, he heads to the rooftops nearby. Once on the rooftops he settles in on Firebaby and preps coords for the Pit and waits for the others to verify that they are in route or needing a ride over.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Night
Round 0

“The Pit sounds fine,” Zeke replied. “Let’s meet there. If I could get a ride, that would be great.”
Character Tracker
Shotgun
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Sounds good ta me." Answers Kaelin when told of the location the gang was to meet at. "I can pick anyone needing a lift on me way over."

Some time later her battered but trusty old cargo hauler pulls up near to the Pit, Kaelin climbs out along with others she'd been told needed a lift.
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Notice [dice:662x50dh]54178:0[/dice:662x50dh]
Keen Sense of Smell (Racial): +2 Notice and Tracking rolls.
Expanded Detection and Security Array (1) - Strain: 2 - This grants a +2 to Notice checks
Optics Package (1) - Strain: 1 - +2 all sight-based Notice checks; night vision (ignore illumination penalties)
Psychic Sense (Racial): Use the Notice skill (+2) to detect the presence and location of psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. can also use the Tracking skill +2 to follow a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn’t work inside sealed armor or vehicles.

Wild Roll: [dice:662x50dh]54178:1[/dice:662x50dh]

Joey sees the shrugand replies with a nod. He follows His partner down to talk to the stranger. As they get closer, Joey activates his cyber camera to record this meeting. Once they getclose enough, he stands there looking mean. ”I will let my partner do thetalking. If this is a trap, i will know and shot this fuck.”
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Unperturbed by Harris's insult, Ricky casually, but slowly, pulls a cigar from his coat pocket, cuts the end, and lights it. He takes in a deep breath through the cigar and exhales, then moves it to the corner of his mouth.

"Wells firsts of alls lemme just express mys appreciations for your assistance earlier today." He says, speaking around the cigar. "If those mooks had gotten their grubby hands on that theres disc, Slim Jim woulda had my head . And not the one on my shouldas if your knows what I means..."

"Howevers, I do need it back if you please. See, that theres the property of Mr James Shepherd, and he respectfully requests that yous returns it. As a show of his appreciations he'd also like to offers yous some temporary employment. Yous seems like the freelancing types." Ricky takes another pull of the cigar, blowing the smoke in set of round rings. "You sees that disc is part of a set. Both was stolen from Mr. Shepherd, though my man, the one who yous didn't quite saves, recovered one. The second is still in the hands of a woman named Splice. I knows where it is, but don't quites have the resources to recover it. That's where yous come in. Mr Shepherd is willing to offers yous 250,000 creds to recover the disc for him. Also, to help ensure your success, he'd open his personal armory to yous, and allow yous to take one item to keep, as long as yous uses it to recover the disc."

Ricky pauses, letting the offer sink into the two level 4 denizens. He reaches into another pocket in his trenchcoat and tosses a phone to Joey. "Think it over alrights? I'll calls ya in the afternoon to gets your answer. Though lets me give yous a fair warning. I may not have the muscle necessary to force yous ta give me that disc, but whoever Slim Jim sends after I fails certainly wills..." Done with his proposal, Ricky snuff his cigar against the wall and pockets it, turning leaving Harris and Joey chew on the offer.

Sounds like you are caught in the middle of a spat between two opposing powers. You've got two offers. Splice - representing Cassandra Lefluer - is looking to buy the disc you have - though the price is yet to be negotiated. Ricky - on behand of James Shepherd - is offering 250,000 credits to split amongst yourselves and some supplies in exchange for the disc in your possession and for stealing the remaining disc back from Splice. Sounds like everyone is heading back to the Pit, a place where Magnus frequently fights, to regroup and figure out what you'd like to do next. I'm a little pressed for time, so I wont set the scene, but feel free to continue from there or role play something else if you'd like to.

@Joey aka: Fat Joey and @Harris LaVode, feel free to shoot any questions your characters would have to Ricky, and we can have the conversation in parallel with the conversation your characters will be having at the pit.
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

After everyone had gathered at the Pit, Kaelin relayed her encounter with Splice. She also listened to what Joey and Harris had to say about the man Ricky, though she frowned and started getting a little fidgety in her seat.

"So..." Kaelin said once the others had finished talking. "Wot we gonna do? Looks ta me we'll be fecked either way."
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

"A quarter million credits and our pick of this guy's armory sounds a whole lot better than a payment we haven't negotiated yet," Magnus says.

"'Course, we could always try to get both. Call up Lefleur, negotiate a price and a meet, then take her money and her chip and sell it to Shepherd. We'll probably have to shoot a bunch of people and make some mortal enemies in the process, but someone's gonna end up hating us no matter how we go with this. Might as well get a headstart on putting 'em in the ground."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Magnus wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:36 pm "A quarter million credits and our pick of this guy's armory sounds a whole lot better than a payment we haven't negotiated yet," Magnus says.

"'Course, we could always try to get both. Call up Lefleur, negotiate a price and a meet, then take her money and her chip and sell it to Shepherd. We'll probably have to shoot a bunch of people and make some mortal enemies in the process, but someone's gonna end up hating us no matter how we go with this. Might as well get a headstart on putting 'em in the ground."
Asher laughs at Magnus's logic and agrees, it is going to get ugly no matter which side they side with.

"I offer up my original suggestions of cracking the info and making copies of it. Build ourselves a failsafe should either deal go south. I just don't want to be in the position of me or us owing anybody anything."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Kaelin frowns as she listens to Magnus' and Asher's suggestions, then sighs and replies. "I'd prefer which ever options has least people shooting at us."

"Unlike ye, I don't like going looking fer trouble."
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

<<<Back with Ricky>>>
Harris considers the mans words for a moment before he replies. "Sounds like it'd be a rush job going at a mark who's expecting it. Can't say we won't take that but I doubt it. What would he pay for just the disk and no, this won't be a bidding war and we won't drag it out. Our team has no interest in being fresh meat in the grinder between your boss and Cassandra." He shrugs to the messenger.

<<< At The Pit>>>
The ex-cop had hoped the team would have a little more time to asses the situation they got dropped into but the universe wasn't having it so he was determined to get the team out of it as quickly as possible.
Magnus wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:36 pm "A quarter million credits and our pick of this guy's armory sounds a whole lot better than a payment we haven't negotiated yet," Magnus says.

Sitting down with the team at the Pit Harris hopes the quarter mill doesn't have stars in the anyones eyes. He sips a cup of hot coffee as he smokes and thinks. "As I doubt they'd bring the second disk with them to a meet to buy ours, Slim Jim's offer almost certainly won't be that easy Magnus. Also that'd give us a rep for doublecrossing, something that's make future jobs either more scarce or more like to be the type where we're dupes or bait. Looking at the situation it'd be a rush job at a target looking for trouble and who already has us on their radar. Then there's the idea of stepping into a turf war as fresh, ie expendable, pawns. I suggest we take one blind bid from each and get rid of the disk as soon as possible. We do have a whole other job that we're supposed to be setting up right now
Kaelin wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:02 am Kaelin frowns as she listens to Magnus' and Asher's suggestions, then sighs and replies. "I'd prefer which ever options has least people shooting at us."

"Unlike ye, I don't like going looking fer trouble."
"Kaelin, we are in a tougher spot than we thought before we brought you and Asher on and I am sorry for that. But we will try to get this worked out so's we all get paid and make as few enemies as possible. With Magnus in the room he can't honestly reassure the driver that the team doesn't like to look for trouble. He looks to Asher, "Not sure how much it'd act as insurance but I sure am curious about what this is all over. Crack it and lets see."
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Harris LaVode wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm <<<Back with Ricky>>>
Harris considers the mans words for a moment before he replies. "Sounds like it'd be a rush job going at a mark who's expecting it. Can't say we won't take that but I doubt it. What would he pay for just the disk and no, this won't be a bidding war and we won't drag it out. Our team has no interest in being fresh meat in the grinder between your boss and Cassandra." He shrugs to the messenger.
Ricky pulls the cigar from his mouth and spits to the side. Holding between two fingers of his left hand it gestures animatedly and says "What is yous, stupid? One disc is onlys hafs a job! No one pays for hafs a job!" Ricky is clearly flustered. Maybe its because he sees the group as his best chance at avoiding a bullet between the eyes for his failure. Or maybe it's something else. Regardless, he takes a long pull from his cigar and visibly calms himself.

"I'll explain it yous, nice a slows like. I comes back with onlys one disc, and Slim Jim shoots me. Those discs are quantum encrypted, or some crap like that. Yous needs both to get to the stuffs easy, but I'm told smarts people with couples weeks and good equipment can gets it eventually." One more puff of the cigar and Ricky is clearly calmed back down. "Looks, you did me favor keepin that theres disc out of Splice's theivin' hands. Nows I gots times to get the other back. Buts I gots 250K to get a crew capable of getting the second back. Anything I pays yous, I cant pays them, yous sees?" Ricky pause a moment, clearly calculating risk before he finally says "50 thousand for the disc, and thats generous, considering the disc is rightfully Mr. Shepherds anyways. And I'll puts in a good word for yous with Mr Shepherd. Maybe hes gots less....risky work yous be up for." As an afterthought he adds "And bys the way, I've already given yous descriptions to Mr. Shepherd's other associates, so if yous cross us and give that disc to Splice, whatever she pays yous won't be enough to save your asses from his wrath...". Oddly he shows no fear threatening the two much more capable combatants. It must come from a knowledge that, if the group sells to Splice, Ricky knows he's dead either way.
Zeke Walker

Post by Zeke Walker »

Chi-Town/Level 4/The Pit
Night
Round 0

Zeke sipped a root beer as he listened to the talk go around the table. “Can we prove the disk belongs to this Mr. Shepherd? I’m all for giving him what’s rightfully his, whether or not we go after the second disk. What do we know of this Splice? Is she as scary as Ricky makes this Shepherd out to be? What do we know about him?”

Character Tracker
Shotgun
Character Tracker
Shotgun
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Asher takes out the chip which he stored in an old and very well used static secure plastic bag. He clears the table and sets out a faded linen napkin which he prompyly unfolds. From a pocket somewhere he pulls out a small case. Taking a piece of charcoal out he begins using his fingernail to grind it into a powder. Another towel comes out and he cleans all the charcoal from his hands.

He pulls out tracing paper, a large wax crayon, a mostly used roll of scotch tape, a small mirror, and a pair of plastic sterile gloves. "Once saw this done with much better equipment. Hopefully the prints and identification material will be ledgible."

With gloved hands he pulls the chip from the static free bag and places the tracing paper over it and uses the crayon to rub out both sides. Next he dusts both sides with charcoal and blows off the excess. Using precise amounts of tape he lifts what fingerprints he can from the chip covered with powdered charcoal. The tape is then placed on the mirror and then Asher scans the prints from the mirror using a holo-dispaly in reverse as a ascanner.

"That should take care of the fingerprints."

Telemechanics 9 _
TLPG 73
[*] Telepathy (Psionics) (1d10) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:2[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:5[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
K/Electronics 14 _
Telemechaincs +4
[*] K/Electronics (1d8) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:0[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:1[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
[*] Aced! Wild (1d6+6) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:4[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
K/Computers 10 _
Telemechanics +4
[*] K/Computers (1d8) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:7[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:qk3gr8mx]54600:6[/dice:qk3gr8mx]
Cleaning the chip thoroughly by patting the chip with a dirty towel, Asher inserts the chip into his personal computer built into his body armor. Pulling another chip from one of his many pockets he has it ready to make a duplicate of the material once he has cracked the security and the information is ready to be downloaded and copied for analysis.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Magnus helps himself to something to drink while Asher works on the disc.

"Look, I'm not saying we go out and pick fights we don't need, but I don't see how we avoid having one or the other after us on this, and I'd rather be the one throwing the first punch instead of watching over my shoulder," he says.

"Now, @Harris LaVode, you said this Ricky guy seemed to think his number was up if we don't give the disc to his boss, even if the boss sends another team later to waste us. Think Ricky might play ball? I mean, if he's got nothing to lose, maybe he sees we're his only chance at staying alive."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

Magnus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm Magnus helps himself to something to drink while Asher works on the disc.

"Look, I'm not saying we go out and pick fights we don't need, but I don't see how we avoid having one or the other after us on this, and I'd rather be the one throwing the first punch instead of watching over my shoulder," he says.

"Now, @Harris LaVode, you said this Ricky guy seemed to think his number was up if we don't give the disc to his boss, even if the boss sends another team later to waste us. Think Ricky might play ball? I mean, if he's got nothing to lose, maybe he sees we're his only chance at staying alive."
Asher looks up from the computing momentarily, "I agree with Magnus. We hold the cards. We should be chosing how things go down."

Head down, ASher heads back into the data for a bit. At the mention of a job before the current situation, Asher looks up once more, "Guess I shouldn't be that surprised that you were all working a job before this information fell ito your laps."

"Any chance the previous job and this information," Asher taps his armored wrist computer, "are tied together?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Zeke Walker wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:55 am
Zeke sipped a root beer as he listened to the talk go around the table. “Can we prove the disk belongs to this Mr. Shepherd? I’m all for giving him what’s rightfully his, whether or not we go after the second disk. What do we know of this Splice? Is she as scary as Ricky makes this Shepherd out to be? What do we know about him?”
Harris wants to simultaneously roll his eyes and ruffle the kids hair at his naivety but he does neither and tries for a tone that's chiding without being scornful. "Kid we are criminals stuck in between two bigger criminals. Right and wrong is less a concern than which choice has a better chance of long term payout and less chance of eminent death. " He would have to talk to the kid about saving the moralizing for his extra curricular work.
AsherBlack wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:12 pm
Magnus wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 pm Magnus helps himself to something to drink while Asher works on the disc.

"Now, Harris LaVode, you said this Ricky guy seemed to think his number was up if we don't give the disc to his boss, even if the boss sends another team later to waste us. Think Ricky might play ball? I mean, if he's got nothing to lose, maybe he sees we're his only chance at staying alive."
Asher looks up from the computing momentarily, "I agree with Magnus. We hold the cards. We should be chosing how things go down."

Head down, ASher heads back into the data for a bit. At the mention of a job before the current situation, Asher looks up once more, "Guess I shouldn't be that surprised that you were all working a job before this information fell ito your laps."

"Any chance the previous job and this information," Asher taps his armored wrist computer, "are tied together?"
Hitting his cig then taking a sip from his "burbon" before he replies, "You're right big guy, we're not clearing this one without pissing in someone's oatmeal. Ricky will give us 50k for the just the disk but it's not clear if he'd turn on Slim Jim nor do we have much time for dicking around with anything complicated." Stubbing out the smoke he continues. I'd like to see what LaFluer will pay and give it strong consideration, even if it's less than 50. If Slim Jim kills his own guys so easily I'm not sure we want to be in his rolodex."

Considering Ashers question a moment the detective looks doubtful. "Without knowing what's on the disk I can't say for sure. But that job is a transport job up to 6 so LaFluer's not the employer, she could do it on her own. Jim might be but it'd be something separate from this, and wouldn't that just be some typical bullshit." He shakes his head at the thought of selling to LaFluer then doing a transport for the man they just stiffed.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

"Okay, who do we trust more ta keep their word?" Kaelin asks.

"Also, either o' 'em likely ta give us some protection in return fer the disc?"

"Just thinking out loud, don't really know much 'bouts the local big shots."
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

A bulky brawler faces up against a smaller, but clearly chemically enhanced lighweight in the ring as the crew discusses their options in the relative safety of the Pit. The occassional patron of the bar stops by to congratulate Magnus on one of his more recent fights, asking whens the next time he'll step into the ring. Others simply make eye contact with the cybernetically enhance fighter, then violently spit to the side before giving Magnus a glare.

Asher works away on the disc as they chat. The fingerprinting doesn't garner much new information, but the prints of a number of known associates of James Shepherd confirms that the validity of the info they got from Ricky. In the process of setting up an algorithm to crack the disc, the information broker discovers that the quantum locked nature of the two discs allow him to track the location of the second with the signature of first.

They discuss the pros and cons of their potential buyers for a couple of hours, enjoying the fights. After the second round of a particularly brutal fight asher's computer makes a distinctive ding. When Asher pulls up the display, a single downloaded file and a progress bar at 1% is all they find. The file is a ledger of sorts showing transactions between two parties over the course of the last few years. Nothing of immediate interest.

Deciding to at least hear Splice's offer, Harris picks up the reactivated phone and calls her up. It rings a couple of times, and then in answered, "Bout time! Splice's carefree voice answers. "I was starting to think that slimeball Ricky had gotten to you, though I know he doesn't have the balls to take on a group like yours directly. Lemme guess, he made you an offer to buy the disc. Maybe even to steal the one I have, am I right? Typical." You can hear the eye roll in her voice, then she continues.

"Anyway, let's get down to business. That's why you called right? It'd be downright stupid to call me to turn me down, and i don't think you guys are THAT stupid. Now there's no doubt that I can't match Ricky's offer, whatever it was, directly. But I think you'll find doing business with me and Lefluer more rewarding in the long run. I can give you 40k for the disc, no questions asked, along with a couple perks. Cassandra's well connected to the Black Market as you've probably heard, and she usually gets exclusive passes to auctions and... well for lack of a better word, pop up shops where rare and illicit goods are sold. Some of those may be of interest to you, or might be a good place to fence something you might find on your hands. Either way, sell me the disc and you can call in access to one of these sales whenever you have the funds to attend one. So what do you say? Probably not as lucrative as whatever Shepherds stooge is offering, but you also aren't likely to end up with your balls in a vice...."

offers are all on the table, you are welcome to try and negotiate with either party, or ask any questions. Ricky will be calling shortly to find out about his offer. If you are going to take either of his, feel free to narrate him calling and you making any counter offers or requirements. I'll put up a poll to help collect input ooc. Once we've decided what we want to do, I'll try and get the next post up relatively quickly to keep this moving.
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Harris LaVode »

Notice to look for easedroppers 10
Notice [dice:2t9z3o9f]54851:0[/dice:2t9z3o9f]
Wild [dice:2t9z3o9f]54851:1[/dice:2t9z3o9f] Ace [dice:2t9z3o9f]54851:2[/dice:2t9z3o9f]
Harris ends the call to the hacker with a promise to have her answer shortly. He then turns to the team, looking around for any snoopers before relaying Splice's offer. Following the report with his own assessment. "My opinion is we take LaFluers offer. I'd rather deal with someone who says "work for me and..." as opposed to "work for me or...". Even though we'll be making a dangerous enemy in Slim Jim, I think the long term is more stable, connections wise."
common knowledge 7
Smarts [dice:2t9z3o9f]54851:3[/dice:2t9z3o9f]
Wild [dice:2t9z3o9f]54851:4[/dice:2t9z3o9f]
Last edited by Harris LaVode on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
  • List of Abilities

Edit Signature
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

A$her decides to trace the location of the second disk with a couple of simple pings and returns. Nothing elaborate. Certainly nothing to be alarmed by should anyone be observing the disk.

"LaFluers offer is the better of the two. Might be able to secure some better runs in the future with her connections."

"No way to please both. Maybe we could get an idea of who might be coming afte us from Slim's side but there really is little way of being one hundred percent ready for the fallout."

Going back to the programs open on his computer, he does what he can to secure pertinent biometric data to track the associates of Slim. Still checking he looks at the progress of the file download.

"I would need a better rig, in order to get at all the information on this disk."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Magnus

Post by Magnus »

Magnus growls as a pale slab of stupid known as the Swede walks by, trying to look tough. Then growls again, with less show, as talk turns to the potential buyers.

"I still say we try to get all the money, and both discs, and just shoot as many of the assholes on both sides as we can. No way they're not gonna come after us, or double-cross us, so we might as well get as much out of it as we can. But if the rest of you decide otherwise, I'll back your play. Just don't expect me to be the one standing around with my back turned. I've got enough scars back there as it is."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Harris LaVode wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:05 pm
Notice [dice:15f3iepq]54851:0[/dice:15f3iepq]
Wild [dice:15f3iepq]54851:1[/dice:15f3iepq] Ace [dice:15f3iepq]54851:2[/dice:15f3iepq]
Harris ends the call to the hacker with a promise to have her answer shortly. He then turns to the team, looking around for any snoopers before relaying Splice's offer. Following the report with his own assessment. "My opinion is we take LaFluers offer. I'd rather deal with someone who says "work for me and..." as opposed to "work for me or...". Even though we'll be making a dangerous enemy in Slim Jim, I think the long term is more stable, connections wise."
common knowledge 7
Smarts [dice:15f3iepq]54851:3[/dice:15f3iepq]
Wild [dice:15f3iepq]54851:4[/dice:15f3iepq]
As Harris sweeps his eyes around the Pit looking for eaves droppers, his eyes settle on the burner that Ricky tossed to Joey. They had left out, awaiting Ricky's eventual call. A small symbol blinks in the uppermost corner of the screen, which Harris knows indicates that phone is recording, and presumably transmitting, audio. Seems like someone is listening in.

This is discovered before any other conversation regarding the offers, so feel free to narrate a different conversation for the listener to hear. Alternatively, you can just deactivate it with a simple knowledge electronics success.
AsherBlack

Post by AsherBlack »

John Smith wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:50 am
Harris LaVode wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:05 pm
Notice [dice:1fkx1u79]54851:0[/dice:1fkx1u79]
Wild [dice:1fkx1u79]54851:1[/dice:1fkx1u79] Ace [dice:1fkx1u79]54851:2[/dice:1fkx1u79]
common knowledge 7
Smarts [dice:1fkx1u79]54851:3[/dice:1fkx1u79]
Wild [dice:1fkx1u79]54851:4[/dice:1fkx1u79]
As Harris sweeps his eyes around the Pit looking for eaves droppers, his eyes settle on the burner that Ricky tossed to Joey. They had left out, awaiting Ricky's eventual call. A small symbol blinks in the uppermost corner of the screen, which Harris knows indicates that phone is recording, and presumably transmitting, audio. Seems like someone is listening in.

This is discovered before any other conversation regarding the offers, so feel free to narrate a different conversation for the listener to hear. Alternatively, you can just deactivate it with a simple knowledge electronics success.
@Harris LaVode points out the burner phone and A$her inclines his head a bit then puts a finger to his lips. Picking up the burner phone he flips it over to the back. A small screwdriver comes out of one of his smaller toolkits.

K/Electronics 7 _
[*] K/Electronics (1d8) [dice:1fkx1u79]54896:0[/dice:1fkx1u79]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:1fkx1u79]54896:1[/dice:1fkx1u79]
A$her looks at Harris and mouths, "disconnect?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Fire Baby
  • Notes:
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
Kaelin

Post by Kaelin »

Kaelin sits and listens to Splice's offer and to the others as they discussed the group's options. She spoke when she felt it was her turn for input and said. "Have ta agree, LaFluers' offer sounds like the better one ta go fer..."

"Either way, prefer ta have just the one enemy gunning fer us rather than both."

Return to “Adventure Forum”