Smuggling Run

Post Reply
User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:22 pm

After a couple of days of laying low following the encounter with Splice and Ricky, each member of the team gets a message to meet at 9am at a location just outside of the dark zone that Fisk had mentioned in their last meeting.

The location is a dingy diner. The members of the crew show up one by one, or together as circumstance may be, and find Fisk waiting for them in a corner booth, still wearing his...fashionably forward....scarf. You can hear sounds emanating from the kitchen as smells start wafting forward into the main dining area, but the place is otherwise deserted.

"Don't worry, the place doesn't open for another hour, and I know the owners." Skip says to anyone who gives him a concerned look, and gestures toward the empty seats at the table.

When everyone has arrived, Skip reaches under the desk and hefts what appears to be nondescript suitcase onto the table.

"The client delivered this to me late last night, along with the address of where it needs to be delivered - Unopened, they were very specific on that point - in 3 days up on level six."

Upon closer examination, the suitcase is far more secure than it appears to be. Hardshelled with flip latches, the latches are clearly controlled by a small hidden panel in the corner of the case. A keypad indicates that some form of code is required to open the brief case.

"The plan is much like we discussed, though I've made a couple of tweaks with information I collected in the last few days. While he still is tied up, Fisk came through with a route to level 5. Surprisingly his dark zone actually existed, and his contact in the area has organized for you to take a lift up directly to the level. It'll cost a hefty sum" Skip passes a couple cred stick across the table to Harris "There's 10,000 on that credstick for the lift, along with another 10,000 on the second for various bribes that you may need to make on your journey to 6. That journey is mapped out on the file I sent you earlier, through the maintenance tunnels. I marked some areas with the dangers you need to watch out for, though a lot of it is based on rumor and hear-say, so don't put too much stock behind it. Once you've dropped of the package, you'll receive payment and you can use some portion of it to bribe your way back down, a direction much simpler to travel than up. I believe Magnus and Harris are both familiar with the Diamond Dog and its routes into level 4? Shouldnt be too hard to convince people your rich folk looking to slum a little with the credits you'll have on hand. Payout for this one is big. A million credits all told. Course, I'll get 100K of that for my finder's fee."

Skips face turns sober as he adds, "Lastly, watch your backs. Our client informed me that their are...factions that are aware of their efforts to move this item up into the city, and are keen on keeping it from arriving at it's final destination. So keep your eyes peeled for anything suspicious."

Skip gives the crew a chance to ask any questions, then heads toward the doors as the first customers pull into the parking lot. As he reaches for the door he turns back, remember one last piece of advice.

"one more thing, Other than the ones I just gave you, avoid using any official cred sticks after you get out of level 4. ISS keeps close tabs on cred transfers as a way of tracking illegal immigration. This is gonna be tricky enough of as is, so you don't want to draw immigration's attention."

Feel free to roll ask questions, roleplay thoughts or responses to the above or take actions. Assuming you are going to stick to the laid out plan, we will move into the dark sector shortly.

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 am

Kaelin frowned as Skips spoke, she wasn't keen on the prospect of damage being done to her cargo hauler. She was even less keen on the idea of any dealings with the ISS, so she'll reluctantly agree to taking the route long as it steered them well clear of the CS' notorious police force. Least Zeke seemed to have dropped the matter of Kaelin's recent and sudden bout of anxiety.

"Is there anything ye can tell us 'bouts the package?" Asked Kaelin. "Did the clients say anything 'bouts it being...erm...shielded from detection or something?"

"Any info will help make it easier ta decide where ta stow it."
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:10 am

Exalted Detect Arcana 5
Spellcasting 1d12: 1
Wild 1d6: 5
Chi-Town/Level 4/Dinner
Morning
Round 0

Flush with the credits from the kill crew that had attacked them a few days ago, Zeke didn’t mind forking out for a diner breakfast as they met with Skip. He listened to the details of the plan and eyed the case. Out of curiosity, Zeke murmured a few words and waved his hand over the case to see if there was anything magical about it.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 0/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Magnus whistles.

"900k? That's a nice payday. How many have we got on our crew now who're going to split that?"

Although normally content to let others handle the details, Magnus is curious about what he'll need to pack. Definitely his nice silver jacket.

"We gonna be hoofing it, or will we have access to Red's wheels for the whole run?" he asks. "And I'm guessing we're gonna need to blend in, so no heavy artillery?"
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:38 pm

A$her looked at the case. The things that aren't worth looking at are always the least secured.

"Best guess is a mix of digital coding and arcane. You want me to scan it, I can."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Kaelin wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 am

"Is there anything ye can tell us 'bouts the package?" Asked Kaelin. "Did the clients say anything 'bouts it being...erm...shielded from detection or something?"

"Any info will help make it easier ta decide where ta stow it."
Skip shrugs. "They were pretty guarded about the topic of whats in it. They did say that conventional ways of inspecting the case - Xray, sniffer dog-boys that sort of thing - wouldn't be an issue, as long as the people inspecting didn't know they were looking for this specifically."
Magnus wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:10 pm
Magnus whistles.

"900k? That's a nice payday. How many have we got on our crew now who're going to split that?"

Although normally content to let others handle the details, Magnus is curious about what he'll need to pack. Definitely his nice silver jacket.

"We gonna be hoofing it, or will we have access to Red's wheels for the whole run?" he asks. "And I'm guessing we're gonna need to blend in, so no heavy artillery?"
"I've just commissioned the six of you, though if you pick up someone on the trip who has a set of skills you need, you are welcome to cut them in. As for the wheels...Well from what Fisk says about this lift up to level 5, its wide enough for a transport. The maintence tunnels on the other hand..." Skip punches a couple of commands onto his datapad, pulling up some additional detail on the map he outlined "Most of the passage ways are wide enough for the hauler...if barely. Theres a couple spots though where you may have to take some dangerous detours.... It's your call..."

Skip considers Magnus second question carefully. "You shouldn't end up going through any official checkpoint, so something not technically legal shouldn't cause you any trouble. That said, when you are walking the streets of level 5 or level 6, you don't want to stand out enough to get the ISS called... If you take the truck you could probably store it there when you are in public."

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:04 am

It's about a 15 minute ride from the diner to the first destination in Skip's instructions. Just as Fisk had indicated, the patrols that were a regular sight in the district not 5 minutes ago disappear as you cross into the zone labeled "dark". Otherwise, the area is indistinguishable from the rest of the district, though you get the impression you are being watched by someone. After all, if someone went through the effort of eliminating ISS patrols, they certainly wouldn't want just anyone roaming through the area.

When you arrive at the address, you find what looks like a nondescript warehouse butted up against one of the massive columns that run through multiple levels of the city. Two cybernetically enhance guards carrying heavy rifles stand in front of a large garage door. Clearly expecting you, one of the guards speaks into his comms and the garage door begins to open. He waves you past without asking for any sort of identification.

Past the garage door, the building opens up into a large warehouse floor. Some of the original warehouse shelving is still in place and caries a wide variety of goods - weapons, armor, munitions, consumer goods, relics, its all there. The central feature of the floor is a wide array of platform lifts of all sizes, some only large enough to fit a couple of boxes, and some large enough to carry multiple transports. A steady grinding of gears fills the warehouse as the platforms ascend and descend, and crews of workers chatter or shout orders to each other as they load and unload the cargo.
Platform Lift.jpg
A rat faced man holding a clipboard accompanied by a couple of large heavily armored guard types approaches the vehicle and waves for everyone to unload. When everyone is out, he starts to speak, pointedly not doing introductions.

"Cutting it a little close, but not technically late..." He says, raising his clipboard and presumably checking off your group from his roster. "Hm..." he says, looking at his roster. "6 people and just one cargo hauler.... That's not a lot of goods to move considering our fees. Well, none of our business. We thrive by not asking questions after all." His tone of voice changes as he goes into what is clearly an oft recited spiel.

"The trip to level 5 is 45 minutes. Under no circumstances are you to tamper with the platform controls or leave the lift at any time. We are not responsible for any damage to wares, goods, or persons that may be caused by malfunction, mishandling or negligence during the trip. Fee's are paid 100% upfront. Your total comes to.." His eyebrows raise as he checks his clipboard once more. "Seems you got a steep discount... 20,000 credits." The diminutive man looks to the assembled crew expectantly.

If anyone points out the discrepancy between the 10,000 credits this was supposed to cost and the asking price, the man steps a little closer to the guards and adds. "Yes well.. There have been some shake-ups in the political structure lately and it looks like management expects a new administration in the treasury department soon. That means some of the people we've bribed to keep this area clear will no longer have their jobs. That means more bribes to pay, which means prices go up. Costs always get passed to the consumer you understand..."

Read if you make a persuasion or intimidation success
Looking a little impatient, the man flips through the papers on his clipboard.

"Here's what I can do. There is one other group that has a particular small load to carry up. While almost all of our clients make the trip solo, we can see if they would be willing to share the platform with you. It would be a bit tight, but we could cut the price down to 10,000 credits. Honestly, we are a little behind schedule, so combining trips would also work in our favor.

Persuasion Raise
Credit cost reduced to 5,000 for sharing the platform, alternatively, you can go solo for 15,000.
Please make the standard Notice roll and common knowledge roll for this scene.

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:07 pm

Rolls
Notice 1d8+2 = 5: 3
Wild 1d6+2 = 4: 2

Common Knowledge 1d8: 8
Wild 1d6: 6

CK Explodes 1d8: 7
Wild Explodes 1d6: 6
Again 1d6: 2
Total: 15

Persuasion 1d6: 4
Wild 1d6: 2
Kaelin has a good look around as they enter the warehouse, eyeing the machinery associated with the gigantic lift. She had never seen anything like this sort of setup before, she was beginning to wonder what else they'll see as she'd never left Level 4 before. Rat-face was as expected, his type exist wherever there was a criminal underworld and so Kaelin only half-hearted listened to what he had to say. Though she piqued up when he mentioned the fee, double what Skip had told them it was going to be.

"Hang on, thats not wot our client told us!" Exclaimed Kaelin. "They were quite clear on this. We're gonna need the creds fer later, any issues with us getting our job done is gonna see our client come looking fer answers."

"That sounds reasonable ta me." Added Kaelin, after hearing rat-face's offer. "A sort o' scratch me back and I'll scratch yers deal."
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 am

Notice 3
Notice 1d6: 1
Wild 1d6: 3
Common Knowledge 8 Raise
Common Knowledge 1d12: 8
Wild 1d6: 4
Intimidation 8 Raise
Intimidation 1d4+2 = 6: 4
Ace 1d4+6 = 8: 2
Wild 1d6+2 = 3: 1
Chi-Town/Level 4/Dinner
Morning
Round 0

Zeke continued to stare at the box as the others talked about the job. Finally, he spoke up. “You sure that’s shielded enough?” he asked. He could see something highly magical leaking magical energies from the inside.

When the team left the dinner, Zeke said, “There’s something magical in that case. I could see the leakage. It’s pretty shielded. I can’t get much information. But it’s definitely magic. We might need to take some more precautions.”

***

Zeke geared up in his Cannonball armor and shipped his shotgun on his back. “Who is carrying the case?” Zeke asked. He cast a spell on the case to help conceal the magic more, and then on himself and his shotgun as well. No sense dog boys sniffing around.
Exalted Conceal Arcana
Not sure how you want to handle the Conceal for long-term travel. Zeke will want to keep the case and his shotgun concealed. I wasn’t sure if he needs to conceal himself also.
When the lift manager tried to extort twice the cost of the ride to Level 5 from them, Zeke stepped up. “I think you’re mistaken. We want the price we were told by our client. Or maybe you’d rather we inform him that you tried to swindle him out of his money and risked the successful completion of his transaction? How long do you think you or your job would survive after that?” he asked menacingly.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 0/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:14 pm

Notice 2, CK 3, Intimidation 6
Notice 1d6: 2
Wild 1d6: 2

Common Knowledge 1d6: 2
Wild 1d6: 3

Intimidation 1d8+2 = 3: 1
Wild 1d6+2 = 6: 4
Zeke Walker wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:44 am
“I think you’re mistaken. We want the price we were told by our client. Or maybe you’d rather we inform him that you tried to swindle him out of his money and risked the successful completion of his transaction? How long do you think you or your job would survive after that?” he asked menacingly.
Magnus walked up behind Zeke. He'd left his armor, as well as his combat claw, in the transport, but still towered a full foot and a half over the mage's shoulder while standing twice as wide.

"Yeah, it'd be a damn shame if you lost this cush job and ended up out on the streets ... where you were easy to find," he says, cracking his knuckles. "That could get real uncomfortable."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Harris LaVode » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am

Notice
Notice 1d10: 2
Wild 1d6: 2
Common Knowledge
Smarts 1d10: 6
Wild 1d6: 4
At first distracted making calls about routes from 5 to 6, Harris tunes in a little late to the lift dilemma. While the boys choose a less than subtle approach, it does get the job done, so he just keeps back a moment to watch the team work.

Noting the mans concern about the war between Slim and LaFluer, he sees it as it away as possible leverage to get Kaelins ride back down to level 4.

"5g for a shared ride up sounds good. If you'd like the other 5 we will need to come back down. We can even put in a word with LaFluer's people about how reliable you are."
Persuasion to arrange a return trip, 9
Persuasion 1d8+4 = 6: 2
Wild 1d6+4 = 9: 5
Last edited by Harris LaVode on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3


Edit Signature

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 am

A$her had arrived at the meet with Skip on foot, his hovercycle, Fire Baby!, was stowed somewhere on the fourth level. He still wore his cherry and fire red Cannoball Armor with the visor down. He said little else as they approached the lifts.

He wondered to himself whether he could get close enough to use his psychic gifts on the case to discover its contents and its importance. Information is everything.

Notice 4 _
[*] Notice (1d6) 1d6: 4
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 3
K/ Common 8 _
[*] K/ Common (1d8) 1d8: 1
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 6
[*] Aced! Wild (1d6+6) 1d6+6 = 8: 2
For A$her, the lifts were not a novelty or something new, it was all the machinery. He could hear the hums and throbs even through his suit. Somewhere like this commanded a moment of silence and reverance as he listened and maybe even spoke with the machines.

Having been at the rear of the group, upon entering. When he heard the voice of the rat-faced man, he pushed his way to the front to stand in front of the man.

Persuassion 9 _
I Know A Guy Edge
[*] Persuassion (1d4) 1d4: 4
[*] Aced! Persuassion (1d4+4) 1d4+4 = 8: 4
[*] Super Aced! Persuassion (1d4+8) 1d4+8 = 9: 1
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 5
NOTE to GM
: @John Smith - I rolled this for the I Know A Guy Edge for the Lift Foreman. Let me know if we can use it or not or if you have some other ideas.
Connections, GM Handbook 78 _
[*] Contact Type (1d20) 1d20: 18 [18]
Former Coalition Soldier
[*] Skills (1d10) 1d10: 3 [3: High]
[*] Availability (1d10) 1d10: 6 [6: Limited]
[*] Information (1d10) 1d10: 6 [6: Great]
[*] Loyalty (1d10) 1d10: 6 [6: Loyalty]
Making it clear for everyone else to stand back, A$her gets close to the rat-faced man and flips up his visor, "Morning Caleb."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:12 pm

Clearly a man used to handling the complaints of customers, the rat-faced foreman quickly offers the crew a simple solution. Zeke's and Magus's not so veiled threats cause a bead of sweat to form on the man's forehead. He takes the threats especially to heart, seeming to hesitate for some reason. Making up his mind, offers seemingly good alternatives.
Harris LaVode wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:35 am

"5g for a shared ride up sounds good. If you'd like the other 5 we will need to come back down. We can even put in a word with LaFluer's people about how reliable you are."
The foreman takes this suggestion in stride, agreeing to provide the return trip, almost too easily.

Just as the other's finish conferring and decide to share the platform for a discount, Asher finally realizes why he can't help but think the foreman looks familiar...
AsherBlack wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 am
Making it clear for everyone else to stand back, A$her gets close to the rat-faced man and flips up his visor, "Morning Caleb."
The guards quickly raise their weapons as the armored form of Asher steps up to the foreman - who doesn't balk at the name given by Asher - and shout threatening phrases at the information broker.

"Asher? Asher Black? is that you?" A mix of emotions struggle for control over the foreman's face. After an initial struggle, his expression visibly relaxes as he gestures to the guards to lower their weapons. "Easy boys. We are in good company. This man and I go way back to when we were both in..." He looks to Asher, not sure how much he should reveal, "Well, lets just say we go way back. I'll handle it from here. Why don't you go check on the next shipment in line. Steve, you're in charge" He tosses the clipboard to the more intelligent of the guards and shoes them away.

His face turns grave when the men are out of earshot. "Asher, I've got bad news. This whole thing is a set up. If I had known you were on the job, I would have tried to get you word sooner. I'm not sure why, but someone is paying very handsomely to have us shut down the lift after you're about 25 minutes into the ride. I'm not confident what was supposed to happen after that, but it can't be good. In fact, I was encouraged to get you to accept going up with another group." His eyes dart to the left as and where a small truck sits idle and 8 accompanying men and women chat idly or inspect the truck. The more observant in the group notice that they are all positioned in a location where they can see Kaelin's truck and its crew. I'd guess it was intended to be a part of an ambush. Before you ask, I don't know who they are or what they want from you. I just have my orders and the knowledge they the ONLY reason I'd have those orders is if he was making the company big money..."

"If you're still set on going up the lift - which honestly you might as well, because I suspect if you try to leave these people will just attack you here. and besides, if you don't I'm toast - if you do go up, there's a couple things I can do to help. First, I'll organize for you to go up the lift on your own for just 5,000 credits. Honestly, they told me I could accept just about any counter offer you made, so long as you got on that lift."

A well dressed woman who walks with an air of authority starts approaching from small office across the room. Spotting her, Caleb rushes through the next item.

"Secondly I'll arrange to speed up the lift just a smidge. That way, when the power gets cut, you wont be where they expect. They'll still be able to get to you, but you'll be out of position."

With that, the woman enters within earshot and Caleb speaks just a little louder "Well, fine, if it's the only way to quiet your complaints, you can ride up on your own for 5,000 credits. Now, if that settles your complaints, will you let me get back to work? We have more customers than just you, and we're already behind schedule?"

The woman, who had appeared to be bee-lining for Caleb, makes a slight course adjustment and walks up to workstation nearby, clearly still within ear-shot.

Well your power's of observation were a little lacking, so you didn't notice any of the signs of a pending ambush (all required a notice at -4), but your powers of persuasion (or intimidation), along with a fortuitously dropped "I know a guy" edge by Asher, has got the rat-faced foreman giving you the scoop. The question is, what are you going to do about it? Make a run for it and try to find another way to level 5? Knowingly walk into an ambush? Something else I haven't thought of? If you go that route, feel free to narrate any actions you take to prepare for the ambush while loading the vehicle onto the lift all the appropriate safety and logistical checks get completed and include any appropriate rolls (or I may ask for an appropriate roll.

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 am

Chi-Town/Level 4/Lift
Morning
Round 0
OOC Comments
No sense wasting a good ambush LOL Is there another way up? I have a feeling we’ll be stuck in the shaft after. Anyway, if we go up, Zeke will cast Greater Deflection as soon as the power goes out and then try and hide to get the drop on the ambushers.
Zeke nodded, pleased to have gotten a good deal on the lift. Generous, even. “What was that all about?” Zeke asked when Asher returned from a long conversation with the lift operator.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 0/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am

Magnus doesn't like the look of the other group clustered around the small truck. But Asher seemed to have an in with the rat-faced foreman, so he figures someone will figure out a plan.

"So how are we gonna do this?" he asks, ready to lend a titanium-reinforced hand where needed.
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:05 am

A$her sees the looks from the hit crew and pays them no mind. Avoiding Sasha's looks his direction while conversing with Caleb, he makes his way back to his crew.

"Seems we are to be the victim of a lift malfunction and at least one if not to hit crews."

When the looks are done being passed around, A$her passes on the next bit of news.

"My connection here at the lifts was pressured into causing the lift to malfunction between here and level 5. He has said that we can take the lift for any price as long as we are on it."

Waving a flipant armored hand in the direction of the crew staring down his crew, A$her continues, "It would also seem that the unsuspicious lot over there are one of the hit teams. They are supposed to share our ride up."

"Time to decide how we want to deal with things."

In a lower tone, "I am sure we could probe for details." A$her looks to @Harris LaVode.

"We do have the advantage of having the lift being moved beyond the hit location though. I would suggest we back up the hauler onto the lift, so if we can not talk the hit squad here off of the lift we can ram them off the lift." @John Smith

A$her eyes @Kaelin's hauler compared to the hit squad's small truck.

"Like I said before any price would get us on the lift. Should I offer the 5,000?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 am

Kaelin listens to A$her and studies the lift from a distance, then replied. "If they'll accept the five thousand, means a 'lil extra fer us."

"Rat-face mentioned controls on the actual lift." Stated Kaelin. "Reckon I could rig something up ta jack control o' the lift, mebbe even run a cable from the hauler ta power it.

"I mean, the last thing they'll expect us ta have is control o' the lift right?"
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Kaelin wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 am
Kaelin listens to A$her and studies the lift from a distance, then replied. "If they'll accept the five thousand, means a 'lil extra fer us."

"Rat-face mentioned controls on the actual lift." Stated Kaelin. "Reckon I could rig something up ta jack control o' the lift, mebbe even run a cable from the hauler ta power it.

"I mean, the last thing they'll expect us ta have is control o' the lift right?"
"All very good, Kaelin"

Grateful that @Joey aka: Fat Joey had yet to get out of the hauler and that the case was still in with him.

@Harris LaVode "Harris, you have any cuffs that we could use to make it look like Joey is chained to that case?"

@Zeke Walker "Zeke, offer Kaelin assisatance as if the Hauler had engine troubles. Let her work on the inside while you keep an eye on things from under the hood of the hauler."

@Magnus and @Harris LaVode "Harris and Magnus, busy yourselves here. Check cargo and respond to Kaelin's requests until I get back from talking with @John Smith Caleb's supervisor. Then join me as we talk to the other party on the lift."

@Joey aka: Fat Joey "Joey, just move over to the passenger side in the back while Kaelin works on the rig. Keep your firearm at the ready. And when I look your direction be prepared to lift up your right arm with the case."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:51 pm

A$her leaves the Hauler and the others and approaches Sasha, Caleb the rat-faced foreman's supervisor.

"Excuse me ma'am, I understand that my transport is supposed to be on the lift," looking to one of the further lifts, "over there?" he asks questiongly.

Sasha looks at her clipboard and points out several lifts close, "Lift 4B. Second lift past the operator/foreman's station."

"Please excuse my earlier disturbance. The foreman and I were negotiating terms and prices. I believe we are to share Lift 4B with someone correct."

Sasha nods and points to the crew near the small truck. A$her pulls forth a cred-stick with 5K on it, "Here is our half of the lift fair. I assume that they have already paid. Thank you for your time."

A$her turns and leaves the supervisor with the 5K cred stick just as she was about to say something. Once she reaizes that A$her is too far away, she drops her question and hands the cred-stick to Caleb to log and store.

A$her heads over towards the hauler with a nod to @Harris LaVode and @Magnus, he heads towards the crew of the small truck with Harris and Magnus a few steps behind.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:41 am

Kaelin nods at @AsherBlack and soon busies herself in the back of the hauler, going through what she'd scavenged from the junk yard and picks out various odds and ends. A power cable of reasonable length was going to be required for starters, Kaelin was going to run it from a socket in the hauler to the lift controls in order to power them. Next job was creating some sort of gizmo to override the lift controls, she presumed it would be some sort of electronic device but figured the lift controls weren't anything even remotely approaching high grade in design. Whatever the gizmo was going to end up as, its purpose was to break the lock on the lift controls and then allow the party to re-power the lift.

She had the feeling that she was going to have to make a series of adjustments on the fly.
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm

Magnus nods as Asher takes charge and starts issuing orders.

"You're the man with the plan," he says, before making sure his gear is stowed in the transport, but pocketing his big pistol and enchanted knife.

When the time comes, he follows Asher over to the group of ambushers, a big smile on his face while he sizes up the group and keeps an eye out for weapons and enhancements.
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 am

Chi-Town/Level 4/Zeke’s flat
Evening
Round 0

“If they’re one of the hit teams, wouldn’t it be better to not have them on the lift with us?” Zeke asked. “Then we’re only dealing with one team instead of two.”

Following Asher’s directions, Zeke popped the hood of the truck. He didn’t know a damn thing about vehicles, so he tried to look busy and not fiddle with anything too much.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 0/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Joey aka: Fat Joey
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Joey aka: Fat Joey » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Notice 1d6+2 = 7: 5
Hunter (Hindrances): Hunt down supernatural monsters (demons, dragons, vampires, Minions of Splugorth, Murder Wraiths, and similar). +2 on Notice and Tracking rolls where a target of their specialization is concerned when they roll a raise on an attack against such targets, they roll a d8 instead of a d6 for bonus damage
Combat Sense (Hindrances): Opponents halve any Gang Up bonuses against him (round down).
Danger Sense (Cyber): Anytime he’s about to be the victim of a surprise attack, ambush, or other nasty surprise, he gets a Notice roll at –2 just before the attack or event occurs / If successful, the character knows something is about to happen and may take appropriate action against it. This means the hero is on Hold for the first round of a combat. Should the hero fail his roll, he still follows the normal Surprise rules, if applicable (see page 73).
Keen Sense of Smell (Racial): +2 Notice
Psychic Sense (Racial): Dog Boys have the inherent ability to detect arcana, interpreting it as a scent. Use the Notice skill (+2) to detect the presence and location of psychic or magic energies, beings, or items. can also use the Tracking skill +2 to follow a specific magical or psionic entity. This sense works to detect anything psychic, magic, or supernatural, including invisible and astral beings. Psychic Sense doesn’t work inside sealed armor or vehicles.
Wild 1d6: 4


Post

Joey nods and gives the thumbs up to Asher. As Joey sits and waits, he lets his senses do their work. ”Bad enough we are gonna get jumped. Let's make sure it will be by normals and not by something supernatural.” While he sits there, joey checks his ammo and gear. Seeing all is as it should be, he preps mentally.

User avatar
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Harris LaVode » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:41 pm

Zeke Walker wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:44 am

“If they’re one of the hit teams, wouldn’t it be better to not have them on the lift with us?” Zeke asked. “Then we’re only dealing with one team instead of two.”

Following Asher’s directions, Zeke popped the hood of the truck. He didn’t know a damn thing about vehicles, so he tried to look busy and not fiddle with anything too much.
"We'll have to deal with both teams at some point. Playing along until we're on the way up keeps them in the dark to us knowing. Then we hit them on the way up before the ambush."
AsherBlack wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:51 pm

A$her heads over towards the hauler with a nod to @Harris LaVode and @Magnus, he heads towards the crew of the small truck with Harris and Magnus a few steps behind.
In a lowered tone when Asher returns, "As soon as we figure out who's in charge I'll pull their plans details and who hired them. They don't look too bright, should be easy." He then follows the info broker, tapping the unlit cigarette on his lighter and watching their quarry with the relaxed gaze of a bored hired gun expecting a milk run.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3


Edit Signature

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm

In his palm, A$her has a second cred-stick. Approaching the small truck and the crew standing near by, A$her lifts the empty hand in a wave.

"Hail, chummers."

"The foreman and supervisor have stated that we are to share the lift up. We wanted to convince you to take another lift. We are returning your lift fee."

With his other palm open, he displays the cred-stick

Gambling 11 _
[*] Gambling (1d6) 1d6: 6
[*] Aced! Gambling (1d6+6) 1d6+6 = 11: 5
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 1
<<A$her is gambling on the fact that someone else paid for the small truck crew to ride the lift. Second gamble is that the greed will win them over. 5,000 cred stick.>>
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 pm

As Asher, Magnus and Harris approach, a large, well muscled man with a buzz cut stands from where he was sitting. He makes a sharp whistle, and the few individuals who were loading up the truck glance in his direction. He nod's slightly toward the truck, and they gently set down what they were carrying and hop into the back, out of sight. Shortly after a lean woman with curly black hair and ballcap steps out of the vehicle and steps up to the large man's side.

If you made success on your notice roll earlier for this scene
You notice that the two loading the truck seem to move oddly, with just slightly off, stuttering movement which occasionally seems just a little stiff
They wait patiently as you approach without talking.
AsherBlack wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm
"Hail, chummers."
"Hello. I am Alexi. And who vould you be?" The large man - Alexi, apparently - responds in a thick accent. His expression is not hostile, but neither is is particularly patient.
AsherBlack wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 pm

"The foreman and supervisor have stated that we are to share the lift up. We wanted to convince you to take another lift. We are returning your lift fee."
Alexi and his un-introduced companion exchange a glance full of indecipherable meeting. Alexi does not respond immediately, but clearly chooses his words. He raises his hands apologetically.

"I am sorry, but niet. Ve are, how do you say, on tight schedule. Ve must make take lift soon. Already ve are behind. Taking your offer vould only poot us farther behind. You understand, da?"

As Alexi speaks his companion eyes you with an air or suspicion. Before you can respond, Caleb walks up, clipboard in hand. "Good news Alexi. Orders from on high have come down, and Your team has been moved up in the schedule. I need you and your crew to report to lift 3 immediately" His face is a little sterner than one would expect from someone giving "good news" but, after a brief pause, Alexi looks at his companion and jerks his head back to the truck. They climb in, and as they drive off toward was is presumably lift three you see the curly haired woman in the passenger seat making a call on a mobile.

Caleb rounds on Asher. "Are you TRYING to get me fired? or worse, more likely? I told you I would coordinate for them to ride up on a different lift if you wanted it. But no, you walk over and try to bribe them with what, 5,000 credits? Seriously, I don't know how much you guys are getting paid for whatever it is you are in the middle of, but its not NEARLY enough if you thought 5,000 credits would buy off the people sent after you..." Caleb takes a breath, and visibly bottles his anger. "Luckily your actions are in line with the story I pitched to my superiors. I told them your team was suspicious, and would probably look for a different route to level five if we didn't let you ride up on your own. The crap you just pulled should fit into that pretty well. Now, your team loads up in fifteen minutes. Here, I'll show you the way to lift." Caleb ends politely, but its clear that he just doesn't want to let you out of his sight again.

Caleb leads you to the east end of the building, where a large platform with giant gears on either end is just locking into place at the floor of the warehouse, the few riders of the lift begin the unloading process as Caleb gives you a couple last pieces of info.

"Remember, 25 minutes into the 45 minute ride up to level 5 the lift is going to lose power. I've arranged for the lift to run a little faster than normal, so you shouldn't be where whoever is after you expects you to be. After that, you are on your own. There's nothing else I can do without putting my ass on the line, and that's something I wont do. You've got 10 minutes before your lift leaves. Good luck" Caleb walks away at brisk pace without looking back, clearly feeling his hands are clean of any blood that may be spilled.

The lift is a simple affair. A low, 4 foot railing extends around the perimeter of the platform, just enough to keep someone from inadvertently falling off, or loose cargo that unexpectedly shifts from plummeting into the dark. A small console for operating the lift is located next to the gate that allows entry on the platform, but its readout in displays little other than distance to destination, with any other functionality requiring a password. At the appointed time, a laborious groan emanates from the gears as the start their slow rotation, pushing the lift skyward toward a dark hole in the roof of the ceiling. As it climbs, leaving the warehouse behind, it enters an area between levels, filled with a maze of pipes and ducting the supply the necessities to most areas of the city.


More Pipes.png
More Pipes.png (103.41 KiB) Viewed 903 times


The ride is up is fairly uneventful, other than whatever efforts the team make to prepare for whatever is coming. Kaelin spends a significant amount of the time opening up an access panel on the side of the lift and, through some creative use of cabling, hooks up the alternator of the hauler to the power supply of the lift.

At about 22 minutes from when you left, you unexpectedly hear noise coming from somewhere in the distance. The shouts are muffled and hard to make out, but are clearly the shouts of surprise and anger. It seems Caleb made good on his promise to make sure the lift was out of position.

Before you can make out whatever his happening beyond the railing, the power to the whole area is killed. The lift grinds to a halt and the platform his cast into a dark shadow, lit only by distance lights of sectors far away. Although it doesn't explode upon you at all once like a well coordinated ambush, you hear the sounds of people scaling the duct work and a odd, rapid clicking sound emanating from the darkness. Eventually, bursts of lasers spring forth from the darkness and impact the platform, each burst lighting up the area around the platform and revealing a dozen or so well armored humanoid figures approaching the platform from below.

Alright. We are going to treat this as a SWADE dramatic task over 3 rounds. The task is split into -2- parts:

The first is escaping. This can be done through repair, knowledge (electronics), AB as applicable, climbing, or other skill if you can find a way to apply it to the idea of getting up to level 5 away. You need -10- successes over 3 rounds. Thanks to Kaelin's preperation, she will get a +2 to her first roll to perform this task.

The second is combat. The typical skills apply here (Fighting, shooting, AB, taunt, intimidation, etc. Though be creative and I'll allow other skills if well narrated.) You also need -10- successes over 3 rounds

Everyone gets -1- roll per round to tackle one of the tasks. Both task rolls will be made at -2 due to dim lighting. If someone has an idea on how to eliminate the dim lighting, they can take their action - with appropriate rolls if necessary - to eliminate the penalty INSTEAD of their normal roll for that round. Anyone performing combat will get a +2 to their roll for the first round due to the botched ambush and bad positioning of the attack team. Also, those indicated below as drawing a club run into a complication of some sort and roll at an additional -2 this round.

One additional thing you can attempt to do during the round instead of performing the tasks above is to gather Intel on who is attacking you. Notice rolls as an action would be good for this. Intimidation on a wounded attacker who winds up on the platform, an appropriate AB skill, or anything else you can think of that would result in learning something would all apply here.

Dont forget wounds, as I believe some people took a few from the last encounter. We are couple of days in, but haven't yet hit the 5 day natural healing point.


Magnus = 1d54: 34
Joey = 1d54: 1 = CLUB
Kaelin = 1d54: 47
Harris = 1d54: 8
Zeke = 1d54: 39
Asher = 1d54: 52

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:34 pm

Soon as the lift moved out of sight of the warehouse, Kaelin got work prying a panel off the console. Once her efforts were rewarded, she spent some time studying the innards of the console and making some last minute changes to her improvised power adapter before hooking it up. With an alternative power supply for the lift in place, her next goal was to somehow override the lift controls. When the lift was plunged into darkness, Kaelin paused for a moment to switch on a flashlight before resuming her work.

Actions
Knowledge (Electronics) 1d8+3 = 11: 8
Wild 1d6+3 = 6: 3

Knowledge (Electronics) Explodes 1d8: 5

Total: 16 (14 for Dim Lighting)

Three Successes!
Last edited by Kaelin on Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:46 am

A$her taps @Harris LaVode, "We need to be aware of the unseen. Can you help with that?"

He takes the time to secure himself in the bed of the hauler and tries to reach out with his mind, possibly identifying those attempting to assualt them.

"Would you need me as support against the ambush or should I help @Kaelin ?"
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Harris LaVode » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 pm

AsherBlack wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:46 am
A$her taps @Harris LaVode, "We need to be aware of the unseen. Can you help with that?"

He takes the time to secure himself in the bed of the hauler and tries to reach out with his mind, possibly identifying those attempting to assualt them.

"Would you need me as support against the ambush or should I help @Kaelin ?"
The former detectives legs may be slow but his draw is not. The big plasma revolver faintly glistens in the darkness, "Let me help thin the herd a bit first before they hit cover and I'll look. Given their numbers I'll bet they went for bulk over specialists for this hit."
Shooting for elimination task 9, two success'
Modifiers: Lighting -2, Scene +2, Pistol Mod +1. Net +1
Shooting 1d8+1 = 4: 3
Wild 1d6+1 = 7: 6 Ace 1d6+7 = 9: 2
Moving to the edge Harris fans the hammer a few times, raining plasma fire down on a couple of the attackers as they climbed a scaffolding. The super heated gas rounds briefly light the approach below them before the fields implode around their targets.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3


Edit Signature

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:27 am

Spellcasting 19; 4 success
-2 illumination, +2 armor, +1 shotgun, forgot the +2 bonus for first round
Spellcasting 1d12+1 = 13: 12
Ace 1d12+13 = 17: 4
Wild 1d6+1 = 4: 3
Chi-Town/Level 4/Lift
Evening
Round 0

Zeke moved to the edge of the platform and looked into the darkness, his armor helping to pick out the climbing and shooting figures. He cast a defensive spell to blur his form and then aimed with his shotgun. Magic ice plasted out from it, the blue-white runic snowflakes glowing along the barrel, and froze attackers to the walls and cabling.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Last edited by Zeke Walker on Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Combat: Stealth 10
Doing the Combat task, with Stealth: +2 for first round, -2 for lighting
Stealth 1d12: 3
Wild 1d6: 6 = Ace! 1d6+6 = 10: 4
Magnus laughs silently, his ivory teeth and the whites of his eyes seeming to glow in the darkness.

As soon as the lift had raised out of sight, he had shucked his shiny coat and covered his face and arms with black soot from the tail pipe of Kaelin's transport. As soon as the power went out, he shimmied over the side of the lift, climbing hand-over-hand through the pipes and cabling underneath the platform until he found a suitable spot to hide, and wait.

The first attacker to climb past his hidey-hole dies suddenly, Magnus's knife sliding silently up under his chin and into his brain before he can even register the pain. The first victim's body, dropped down the shaft, takes out his second victim along the way. That one screams, but Magnus is already moving away, swinging between pipes like an ape through the jungle. He has time to reposition, one more shadow in the dark, then reach out and grab a third attacker by the belt, swinging him off the wall and into a long, fatal fall into the abyss.
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:15 am

A$her watches as @Zeke Walker and @Harris LaVode both find means to pick off targets. @Magnus disappears from sight and he trusts the sounds of screams drowning down the shaft is his handiwork.

Looking back over the bed of the hauler, he notices @Kaelin making good time with the lift control panel. Girl knows her stuff.

Having heard nothing from Joey, A$her creeps forward and finds the dogboy sitting rigid and stiff in the passenger seat with the briefcase. When we get done, going to have to find out if @Joey aka: Fat Joey has a probelm with elevators.

All Points Bulletin, Exalted Telapthy 8 _
Exalted Telepathy: 4 ISP (16 of 20)
Connect up to 8 Minds (only 6)

[*] Psionics (1d10) 1d10: 8
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 1
In order to not create a panic, this crew has never ran with A$her on a mission like this, he carefully touches each crew members mind.

"This is A$her. I am providing a non-traceable means of communication. Just think. No speaking required."

Hopefully they don't panic.

"Shield your eyes, I am turning on the haulers driving lights. Let us see what is out there, shall we?"

Telemechanics, Exalted Telapthy 4 _
Telepathy: 4 ISP (12 of 20)
Telemechanics: +4
Exalted Telepathy: -2
MAP: -2

[*] Psionics (1d10) 1d10: 4
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 4
The hauler is mechanical and does not require A$her to be in the driver's seat. Grasping the side of the hauler's bed, A$her channels his teleptahic connection into the hauler, reaching out for the electrical connection to activate the vehicle's driving lights.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 am

The platform jerks as proceeds to make its way up the shaft, evidence of the Kaelin's success at getting the platform moving again. It's a long -15- minutes to the top of lift as the rest of the crew fights off increasingly desperate attacks from the strike team. Zeke's blasts of ice slow down their progression up the shaft as they work to free their compatriots. Harris's accuracy with his pistol makes them wary of getting too close, and the few who do find that the darkness that they created isn't only on their side, as Magnus's deadly form bursts forth from the shadows.

There is no time for sighs of relief when the lift finally reaches the top of the shaft however. Just like the shaft itself, the warehouse at the top of the lift is dark, whether due to lack of power, or just switching off the lights is impossible to tell.

In the area lit by the headlights that Asher telepathically activated, you see vehicles and other large objects positioned to prevent easy escape. Behind a couple, those with sharp eyes see crouching figures, clearly waiting for some indication for the time to strike.

Out of the darkness an accented voice barks out. "Light 'zem up!"

Chaos ensues as shots explode from the darkness toward the lift and its occupants.

Round 2! As you currently stand, you've got 3/10 escape successes and 8/10 combat success. R

Same rules as last round. -1- roll per round. Rolls are made at -1 due to lighting now (instead of -2 due to the penalty being offset in whatever direction the hauler is facing). Rolls can be for either task, gathering intel, or offsetting the remaining lighting penalty.

I'm going to purposefully not make suggestions this time as to what rolls are appropriate for what task. Just give me a shout out if you'd like to know if a given roll is appropriate for what you'd like to narrate and I will try to be available every couple of hours at least on the hang out.


Magnus = 1d54: 2
Joey = 1d54: 31
Kaelin = 1d54: 30
Harris = 1d54: 8
Zeke = 1d54: 15
Asher = 1d54: 37 = CLUB

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm

A$her hunkered down in the hauler sends a telepathic message to @Kaelin, "Get in the cab and turn the headlights on those vehicles in the blockade. Stay out of view of the cab's front window. Check on @Joey aka: Fat Joey and the case."

Bringing himself up, A$her situates himself to see over the cab of the hauler.

Rail Gun?, Exalted Bolt (Power Surge) 5 _
Exalted Bolt: 4 bolts - 8 PPE (4 of 20)
Scene Modifier: -2
Exalted Telepathy: -2
Lighting: -1

[*] Psionics (1d10) 1d10: 7
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 5
Benny for Extra Effort (4 of 4)
[*] Extra Effort (1d6) 1d6: 3
A$her sets himself up in a way that he can project his voice and begins making sounds like a rail gun preparing to fire. As he launches each bolt, he again goes through the charge up of each round. If men go scrambling for cover they find the shots are targeted at the vehicles in the blockade.

The only complication for A$her is that it has been a few years since active CS duty and he cannot accurately recall the charge up sounds of a mini rail gun.

4 MDC Bolts
[*] Bolt 1 (3d6) 3d6: 5, 6, 2
[*] Bolt 2 (3d6) 3d6: 5, 6, 5
[*] Bolt 3 (3d6) 3d6: 3, 3, 1
[*] Bolt 4 (3d6) 3d6: 6, 2, 1
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:21 pm

AsherBlack wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:15 pm
A$her hunkered down in the hauler sends a telepathic message to Kaelin, "Get in the cab and turn the headlights on those vehicles in the blockade. Stay out of view of the cab's front window. Check on Joey aka: Fat Joey and the case."


Since ye asked so nicely... Kaelin mutters as she clambers into the hauler's cab and guns the engine, though she keeps an eye out for an opening to drive through.

Action
Notice roll 1d8+2 = 9: 7
Wild 1d6+2 = 5: 3
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:09 am

Spellcasting for escape points 12; 3 successes
-1 illumination, +1 armor vision, +1 staff
Spellcasting 1d12+1 = 12: 11
Wild 1d6+1 = 2: 1
Chi-Town/Level 4/Lift
Evening
Round 0

Zeke ducked behind the hauler and surveyed the situation. Well, let’s make this easier. He aimed his shotgun, layering ice out over the vehicles on one side of the way out. On the other, he produced sheets of ice under the vehicles so it would be easier to push them out of the way.

“I hope you can just ram them out of the way now,” Zeke yelled to Kaelin.

***
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Fighting 8 for combat
Fighting at -1 1d12+1 = 8: 7
Wild 1d6+1 = 2: 1
Abandoning stealth for a more direct assault, Magnus charges through the flickering shadows and launches himself among the crouched figures waiting in ambush, roaring like a sump-cougar. His fist is deadly, crushing throats and gouging eyes, hooking claw-like fingers into ears so he can pull heads in close before plunging his knife into eye sockets and throats.

Curses and calls of alarm follow in his wake. After dismantling a group of riflemen hiding behind a hastily constructed barricade, he leaps on top of one of the enemy trucks, kicking in the windshield and following through in an explosion of glass. He kicks the shattered pane of glass into the driver's face, blinding him with the razor shards as he pushes past, stabbing upward into the gunner's turret and nearly disemboweling the man there with his knife.

"Okay boys, you're holding up the line. Time to get this train moving," he says, pushing the screaming driver out of the cab and sliding in himself. He throws the vehicle into reverse, jerks the wheel and slams on the accelerator, slamming into the neighboring truck and pulling it out of position, as well.
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Harris LaVode » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Notice
Notice 1d10-1 = 6: 7
Wild 1d6-1 = 0: 1
Psionics to gather intel, 7 opposed??
Spending 4 ISP for +2 to buff roll, net modifier +1
Psionics 1d8+1 = 5: 4 Benny for EE 1d6+5 = 7: 2
Wild 1d6+1 = 2: 1
Watching from behind the hauler Harris keeps his eyes open for someone giving orders among their attackers. The chaos spread by Magnus handily reveals her, as the shot callers cover is rammed by the hijacked truck. Screaming at her men to kill that big bastard as she scrambles for better protection.

Hi there, let's see what you know. Reaching out with his mind he tries to slip into her subconscious like a hacker slipping past a systems defenses and into the deep code.
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3


Edit Signature

User avatar
John Smith
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by John Smith » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Opposed mind reading
Smarts 1d8: 8
Wild 1d6: 4
The hastily erected blockade of vehicles easily gives way to the crews focused efforts. Thanks to Magnus's brutal efficiency and Asher's clever ploy, the ambushers are too focused on surviving the hellish attacks to do any real damage to the rest of the team.

While the other's clear the way, Harris focuses on a woman shouting orders, and recognizes the curly haired woman from the crew they were supposed to ride up with. He attempts to glean some intel from her mind, but as he reaches her consciousness, he not only feels his efforts rebuffs, but hears a voice echo in his own mind.

"Hmph...amateur. You have no idea what you are up against do you? Give me the talisman, and you just might get out of this mess with your minds intact..."

Then, suddenly there is a path in through and Kaelin shouts for everyone to get in. She guns the hauler for the gap made by Magnus and Asher, and the vehicles beyond it easily slip out of the way on the sheets of ice placed by Zeke.

Just as they feel they are free. Two larger trucks pull out of the shadows and pull up along side the hauler, attempting to cause it lose control by ramming the rear half of the hauler. Anyone watching out the front windshield a wide garage door opening into the streets of Level 5, but the garage door is slowly lowering. To make matters worse, the Truck suddenly jerks, as if something powerful had grabbed the rear of the hauler and tugged backward. The feeling repeats again, though looking back, there doesnt appear to be anything there. There clearly some type of arcane force trying to prevent you from making it through the closing door.


3rd and final round! You are looking pretty good with 8/10 Escape success and all 10/10 necessary combat successes. Should be a cakewalk from here. Just remember, crit fails are -1 success!

Same rules as last time. -1- roll for either escape, combat (though unnecessary, could be fun, maybe you'll get some sort of bonus, who knows) or Intel.

O! An a bennie for Harris, for making his own effort more difficult by suggesting an opposed roll.

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:16 am

Notice 7 _
[*] Notice (1d6) 1d6: 6
[*] Aced! Notice (1d6+6) 1d6+6 = 7: 1
[*] Wild (1d6) 1d6: 4
When the hauler starts jerking A$her begins looking around for the physical evidence that someone has tried to anchor or chain the crew to one location. He becomes concerned when he sees nothing.

Over team comms he says quietly, "We need to drop all powers. Someone is looking to call in a dog pack with all the power they are using. Let us not give the CS any reason to suspect us."

Seeing the door closing on the garage and their current viable exit becoming another barrier, A$her begins searching the pockets and compartments on his Cannonball armor. Not finding anything of value, A$her becomes even more concerned when he remembers that his right foot has been rolling an object back and forth in the bed of the hauler. Bending down, A$her feels rather blindly until his hand settles on the object.

Lifting the item to his face, he reads the label in the dim light. "BlasTech Explosives - BTE-AP-10X" A$her fumbles for a moment with the now realized explosives. Under his breath, "@Kaelin we need to clean up back here." He waves the AP Grenade in the back window of the cab for emphasis.

Not really thinking the next step through, A$her pulls the pin and throws the grenade towards the closing garage door.

Throwing 8 _
[*] Throwing (1d4-2) 1d4-2 = 2: 4
[*] Aced! Throwing (1d4+2) 1d4+2 = 6: 4
[*] Super Aced! Throwing (1d4+6) 1d4+6 = 8: 2
[*] Wild (1d6-2) 1d6-2 = 3: 5
Only after throwing the grenade does A$her realize that his experience from the CS kind of failed in the training of grenade throwing and that he is lucky that the explosive did not go off in his hand. He then collapses in a heap into the back of tha hauler bed.
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Kaelin » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:21 pm

"Any damage ta me hauler," Kaelin says, staring dead ahead at the garage door slowly closing. "I want a bigger cut."

She tightens her hands on the wheel and grits her teeth, nursing every little bit of torque she can out of the engine to give them extra speed and thus make good their escape.

Rolls
Driving 1d6+1 = 3: 2
Wild 1d6+1 = 4: 3
Main Account: Stormwell

User avatar
AsherBlack
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by AsherBlack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:37 am

Kaelin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:21 pm
"Any damage ta me hauler," Kaelin says, staring dead ahead at the garage door slowly closing. "I want a bigger cut."

She tightens her hands on the wheel and grits her teeth, nursing every little bit of torque she can out of the engine to give them extra speed and thus make good their escape.

Rolls
Driving Original post: 1d6+1 = 3: 2
Wild Original post: 1d6+1 = 4: 3
"Sure @Kaelin. We can negotiate a bigger cut from this run. If we don't make it, though. No promises."
Asher Black
Quick Stats _
Novice Human Information Broker
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: Telemechanics, I Know a Guy, Connections
Bennies: 4/4
Fire Baby
NG-357 Magnum-Turbo Hovercycle _
  • Size: 2
  • Acc/TS: 15/70
  • Toughness: 17 (8)
  • Crew: 1 + 1
  • Notes:
    Exposed Crew, Handling 1, Hover, MDC Armor, Electric Model
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
  • Wilk's 237 Backup Laser Pistol
  • Wilk's 447
  • Vibro-Sword
  • Vibro-Knife
Powers
Available Powers _
  • Telepathy - Face-to-Face/All-Points Bulletin
  • Bolt - Data Spike/Power Surge
  • Mind Reading - What Happens in Vegas/Is My Business
  • Clairvoyant - Snoop Onto Them/Reach Out and Touch Someone

User avatar
Magnus
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Magnus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:51 pm

Gathering Intel = 1 Success
Fighting 1d12+1 = 5: 4
Wild 1d6+1 = 3: 2
Magnus wastes no time after Kaelin yells for everyone to get in, vaulting across several of the ambushers' vehicles as he races toward the hauler.

He does stop long enough to smash a turret-gunner's face in, then grab the unconscious man's handset communicator.

"Maybe something useful," he says, pocketing the device. "Hope it's not just full of pictures of you choking yourself and slapping your baby pickle."

Magnus hauls himself up on the truck just before Asher tosses out a grenade and stuff chasing behind them in the dark goes boom. After finding Asher hiding in the back of the truck, Magnus hands the hacker the stolen handset.

"Do that thing and kill the tracking thing, you know," he says. "Might be we can figure out who these assholes are."
Magnus the Red-Handed
Quick Stats
Cybered Pit Fighter
Bennies: 3/3
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d12+2, Vigor d10
Charisma: -; Pace: 6 (1d6); Parry: 8 (9 w/vambrace); Toughness: 20 (6); Strain: 12/16
Hindrances: Greedy (m), Overconfident (M), Vow-Owes Black Benny (m)
Notice d6, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d6, Taunt d6+2, Common Knowledge d6
Edges and Abilities of Note: Ambidextrous + Two-Fisted, Assassin, Elan, Frenzy, Level-Headed, Martial Artist, Strong-Willed
Notable Cybernetics: Nano-Repair System (Heals one wound per day; +4 to resist Bleeding Out; 50 percent chance to reject poison or disease)

User avatar
Harris LaVode
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:04 am

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Harris LaVode » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm

Shaking off the failed mindreading Harris hobbles to the hauler and climbs in back. Knocked to the bed by the impact of the crash attempt, puls himself back to his feet and sights in on the oppositions tires.
Kaelin wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:21 pm
"Any damage ta me hauler," Kaelin says, staring dead ahead at the garage door slowly closing. "I want a bigger cut."

She tightens her hands on the wheel and grits her teeth, nursing every little bit of torque she can out of the engine to give them extra speed and thus make good their escape.

Rolls
Driving Original post: 1d6+1 = 3: 2
Wild Original post: 1d6+1 = 4: 3
"While not explicitly discussed, it's pretty standard that expenses like bribes or vehicle repairs come out of the pay before we split it." He then squeezes off a round.
Combat task: shooting one sucess
Modifiers: dim lighting -1, weapon bonus +1, unstable platform -2. Net -2
Shooting 1d8-2 = 1: 3 Benny for EE 1d6+1 = 5: 4
Wild 1d6-2 = 1: 3
At a Glance
Harris LaVode
Pace: 4 1d4 running; Parry: 5 Toughness:6/7 with long coat/12(5) in armor/13(5) with both
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:Quick:(FG) Discard draw of 5 or less for new card. Nerves of Steel:(FG) Ignore 1 point of wound penalties. If he does not move in a turn, he may fire as if he took the Aim maneuver. Marksman may never be used with a Rate of Fire greater than 1.
  • List of Abilities
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; ISP/PPE: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3


Edit Signature

User avatar
Zeke Walker
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Re: Smuggling Run

Post by Zeke Walker » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Spellcasting to escape 10
-1 Wound
Spellcasting 1d12-1 = 10: 11
Wild 1d6-1 = 1: 2
Chi-Town/Level 4/Lift
Evening
Round 0

Zeke took aim at the mechanism of the closing garage door. He fired an icy blast, hoping to freeze up the working of the mechanism and slow or stop the door from closing until they were out. Hopefully the ice would melt before anyone noticed it.

***

-1 Wound (outside Golden Hour)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 20/20 (with shotgun: 26/30)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)
Character Tracker
Zeke Walker Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (7)
PPE: 15/15 (with shotgun: 25/25)
Shotgun
  • Shots: 2/2
  • PPE: 10/10
  • Powers: Burst, Entangle
Ion Blaster: 10/10
  • Reload: 2 x 10
Powers: Bolt, Deflection, Detect/Conceal Arcana
Bennies: 3/3
Anemic: -2 Fatigue tests
Strong-Willed: +2 vs Tests of Will
Brawny: Load limit 8 x Str (10x with coat)
Rapid Recharge: 1/30m
Wizard: Each raise on Spellcasting lowers the PPE cost by 1 (min 1)

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”