Live Session and Setting Feedback

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Live Session and Setting Feedback

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hello,

After playing though a quarter and a live session I thought it would be good to get some playtest feedback.

We saw some new edges in action last night, did they feel okay?

Any rules or character creation stuff that needs work? Or feels brilliant?

Any additional setting or world info you would like to know?

Any other feedback?

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Peter Dunn

Re: Live Session and Setting Feedback

Post by Peter Dunn »

Peter worked pretty well for the time I was there. I did not get to test everything I could do, but a lot of what he can do is non-combat stuff. Quite possibly a bit too good...if those who turn away from the fallen can have that kind of power there should be some kind of catch to it.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maybe this is a hold over from rifts or something, but I did think it was weird that powers could be cast without speech. Not trying to take anything away but something you might want to think about VV and if it is appropriate to the setting. Like the movie Constantine, no power if activated without some kind of object, hand movement, or words. Often times in that kind of trope words have power, so I was wondering if speech at the very least should be an activator for AB miracles?

Again, I felt it played fine without the power activator, but more of wondering if it went with the setting. Maybe it would even speak to Peter’s too good thought.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Ken is a pretty standard SWADE build except for the new "Touched" edge, which didn't come into play at all since he didnt lead out on the last opposed roll.

A couple things I noticed from the game that are mostly setting details that may or may not need to be cleared up:

1. I was surprised that our blessed weapons added damage to the zombies. I assume that this is because they were spawned by the fallen or something along those lines, but they didnt seem to be fallen themselves. Could definitely be something that comes up as a question for future GMs

2. There was quite a bit of discussion (I think mostly @Sgt 86Delta asking the questions?) about the nature of true relics and what blessings they permanently have. I believe he used the sword to draw a circle, basically giving it the ability of blessed oil. That kind of thing isnt particularly clear in the document, which may be ok, just an observation.

3. On the topic of true relics, we spent a bunch of time hunting down a fallen. If we had ended in a more tactical situation and the fallen had failed a fear roll against one of our 2 true rellcs, it would have been a little annoying that he just ran away. Maybe an option for some other type of penalty if the fear roll is failed?

4. I second Jons comment about powers. It was a little odd to have a ferret have the ability to cast spells.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Doing something to distinguish arcane backgrounds is a good idea.

Gifted

Miracles (Light)

Miracles (Fallen)

Right now power lists are the only differentiators. Not sure what else we can lay on them: unique activators like power words (maybe no activator for Gifted), limited trappings?

I was trying to keep it simple for relics but I can try a few more clarifications. The point about running away is well taken. I'll look at that, maybe a modified fear table or something.

VV
Signature
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Roll20 notes:

Coding before the game.
Probably best to have a ramp up session or a one-on-one to get players familiar with the format of play.
Give turn order right away that way players are not taking three or four turns in a single action.

Fallen Playtest:

I did not think to use my re-roll option (Touched Edge) on the last tier of the pyramid. Elan will probably be my next advance, just to capitalize on the number of re-rolls I have.

(True Relic) Weapons did not apply Fear checks to the Fallen. It would have likely drawn out the play or it could have shortened it. But both @Pursuit and myself had Relic Weapons and Fear checks were not applied to any of the encounters with the Fallen.

Love the use of zombies in the warehouse. All their immunities and such, just made for a perfect opening scene. In this setting, I would say that the Fallen, even a very weak Fallen would be required to animate the dead. There really needs to be another option to fighting/physical combat for the undead.
Sarge's Roles _

GM of a Vauxhall Knights Campaign

Player Characters - Savage Rifts Groups
  • Architect, Chaing-Ku - Vampire Hunters
  • Silverclaws, Wolfen MARS Techno-Warrior - 18th COT
  • Xero X Kalvin, Psi-Stalker Chiller (Burster Variant) - 12th AAT
  • Doc Olliday, D'Norr Cyber Doc/Weird Scientist - 24th COT
  • Luke, In'Valian MARS Rogue Scholar/Super Scientist - 77th CIT
  • Asher Black, Human Information Broker - Level 4: Shattered Dreams
  • Ozzati, Trimadore Techno-Wizard - 7th SET
  • White Castle, Human MARS Rogue Scholar/Legacy Scout - The 32nd
Player Characters - Savage Dimensions
[*]
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Venatus Vinco wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:08 am Doing something to distinguish arcane backgrounds is a good idea.

Gifted

Miracles (Light)

Miracles (Fallen)

Right now power lists are the only differentiators. Not sure what else we can lay on them: unique activators like power words (maybe no activator for Gifted), limited trappings?

I was trying to keep it simple for relics but I can try a few more clarifications. The point about running away is well taken. I'll look at that, maybe a modified fear table or something.

VV
In regard to differentiators, let me pose a concept.
The Taint of the Fallen, is like the Dark Side of the Force in Star Wars. Easy to fall prey to.

If we used something similar to Burn for Juicer, that represented the Taint, using a player's Spirit die. One could spend a Taint point to double an effect, re-roll a trait roll, or damage. Rolling a Taint die to verify corruption. On a roll of a one or the player's Taint value,the player loses 2 points of Taint instead of 1 point, becoming more corrupted.
Not certain about activators but certainly could go with unique modifiers. Like a power that is usually a touch, suddenly does a small blast radius.

Uncontrolled targeting. The recipient is rolled for randomly.

Reverse effects. Roll faith twice. Once to see if the effect is the true effect and the second roll to see if it actually takes effect.
Another thought that crossed my mind during play last night, Spell Ranges for Faith based powers, should they be Smarts or Spirit based?
Sarge's Roles _

[*]
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

Possibly a temptation mechanic with two ratings, taint and light. You add the taint rating to your faith to perform dark miracles and subtract it to perform light miracles, but invert it for light rating. Light and dark are based on actions (not directly on use of points), so use of magic to defend yourself is neutral. Using magic to burn down an occupied building and keep the people from escaping is tainting, unless they are infected with some kind of easily spreadable plague and you are saving others from infection and doing mercy killing at the same time or the like. Killing an innocent is nearly always tainting, torture is usually tainting, destruction of property and theft are usually tainting.

Saving lives, preventing wickedness and helping others are generally going to be light aligned.

If you accumulate more taint than your current spirit die size, you become an NPC.
Last edited by Peter Dunn on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maybe something like the burn mechanic in SR?
New Edge:
Tainted
Requirements, Marked, spirit d8
Start with a Taint of 8, when you roll spell casting you can add 1d6 to the roll or damage if you wish, anytime the d6 is a 1 you loose a point of taint. When your taint becomes 0, you become wholly corrupted by the powers of the fallen and an NPC villain for the GM to play with. When your taint is a 4, you gain a major Hindrance that corresponds to the fallen that marked you noting your slow spiral into depravity. If you use this edge against the Fallen who marked you, you loose a taint point on a roll of 1 or 2.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Oh I think Sanity is a common enough setting rule. You could easily repurpose it for Peter’s idea. Imstead of goimg loony toons you are becoming tainted.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Sanity or Corruption or Taint works for Fallen powers. You lose enough of it and you become a servant of the Fallen.

For Light powers maybe just dust of Ab miracles from SWD. In this case violating the code or committing transgressions results in negatives to using your powers, or even complete loss of powers until atonement can be made.

VV
Signature
Peter Dunn

Post by Peter Dunn »

The thing is, does becoming tainted make the powers stronger? The idea is to make being tainted seem rewarding...
Sgt 86Delta
Game Master

Post by Sgt 86Delta »

Eventually the Tainted get left alone and will either succomb to the depression that comes from failure to do what is right and just or they begin an atonement and rectify their wrongs.
Sarge's Roles _

[*]
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maybe the tainted double the normal effect of a power?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I had a book for my fantasy game that allowed this. The players knew it was corrupting, but still wrre tempted.

The Temptation
Those in the battle of good and evil are often placed is situation where the temptation to do something evil is made stronger by the ability to accomplish their goals.
Your character has been touched by the darker things and must face this temptation in ways others could only fear.
You may draw a benny at any time, or use a power he does not have, but otherwise qualifies for once. When you do the Game Master rolls your Spirit die. On a 3 or less your soul has been touched by the darkness and you gain a minor Henderence selected by the GM. Once you have 2 minor hindrances, the game master selects a major hindrance. Once you have two minor and one major hindrances from corruption your character becomes an NPC.
Note: This is not a trait roll, you may not spend bennies, and do not roll a wild die.

In my fantasy game one of the players fell fully into corruption and became the main villain.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Some edits for your setting
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades