Chapter 1: Troll Trouble (Nyx)

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Chapter 1: Troll Trouble (Nyx)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Training day in and day out with Mab is exhausting, and painful. Each day she works Nyx to the point of exhaustion then heals him just enough to get up the next day and do it all again. Time passes different in the NeverNever and the eternal winter darkness of Attic Tor means it's hard to tell how long he's actually been there. If this is a boon, its fearsome to consider what Mab's punishments look like.

One day things change for the worse as Nyx find himself on the wrong end of a Troll's fist - again!

Being beaten down by the big lug, Nyx is not sure about fighting back as standing next to the troll is Maeve, Mab's insane daughter, and the Winter Lady. While the troll pins Nyx to the icy wall with a death grip on his neck, Maeve speaks. "There is a mess in the mortal world. Someone has cut open a winter fae and stolen their heart. You know the man who has done this before. Find him, find out the truth, and extract Winter's justice. Your association with the suspect will quickly turn you from favoured to flayed. i am giving you the opportunity to fix this before my mother links you two together."

With that, the trolls gives one more punch that sends Nyx flying through the veil between the NeverNever and the mortal world, landing - hard - against a dumpster in a back alley in Baltimore.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Nyx Eveningstream

Re: Chapter 1: Troll Trouble (Nyx)

Post by Nyx Eveningstream »

"Ugh," Nyx grunts, "Fucking trolls. I'm the god damned Tráthnónasruth!"

He rubs his face with one hand while he consider's Maeve's words.

'Gary is definitely involved. How...unpleasant. Although, with his incompetence outside of martial combat, I doubt he is at fault...No. I need to know more before contacting Gary. Someone knows who wanted this Fae dead and why they chose Gary to take the fall.'

Nyx calls a Lyft to take him to the Icehouse: an unsubtly named hangout for the Winter Court in Baltimore. The interior isn't shabby, but it's not classy either. The Icehouse is more of a windowless restaurant with a stage for live music than a bar. The lords and ladies of the court rarely drop in; but trolls and selkies and their ilk feel right at home.

Tonight is a good night for gathering information; the Icehouse is packed and there's a literal band of banshees on the stage singing death metal. Everyone is more than a little nervous about that, actually, but Nyx finds himself nodding to the beat. Nyx orders himself a drink and a sampler plate to start the evening out.

Nyx butters up old contacts and meets new ones. He lets the drink flow and silvered words fly. Nyx inquires here and there about the local fae affairs while subtlety nudging the conversation towards female fae. By the end of the night his wallet is a bit lighter, but he learned what he came for...
Networking 7
Persuasion: [dice:36uk8o9u]48748:0[/dice:36uk8o9u] (+2 Money Talks)
Wild: [dice:36uk8o9u]48748:1[/dice:36uk8o9u]
Reroll (Charismatic)
Persuasion: [dice:36uk8o9u]48748:2[/dice:36uk8o9u]
Wild: [dice:36uk8o9u]48748:3[/dice:36uk8o9u]

GM: Let me know how much cash to deduct please.
Nyx Eveningstream
The Tráthnónasruth, Unseelie Pactmaster
Pace: 5; Parry: 5(1) Toughness: 7(2)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Channeling (If a Raise is rolled, reduce the PP cost of the Power by 1)
  • Charismatic (One free Reroll per Persuasion roll)
  • Extra Effort (After the Roll, add +1 or +2 to the Focus total for 1 PP or 3 PP)
  • Strong Willed (+2 when resisting Tests with Smarts or Spirit)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 2/2; PP: 10/20
Bennies: 1/3
Edit Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

It doesn't take long for Nyx to catch wind of the gossip surrounding a missing fae with a missing heart. In fact, there's so much gossip it's hard to distinguish what is a lead and what is a flight of fancy. He hears everything: "it's an act of war by summer against winter", "winter killed their own person to blame summer and start a war", "it is payback for a fae who went against their word", and many more increasingly strange stories. These guys have active imaginations. No wonder they call them fairy tales.

Finally, Nyx settles on something a little more concrete. A fae who has gone missing lately, her name was Aspen. Word is she was into big time magic and liked to collect rare spell components. To many people the heart of a fae is a powerful spell ingredient. It's literally the heart of magic. If Aspen, or someone, else plans on using it in a spell it'll be a big one!
Signature
Nyx Eveningstream

Post by Nyx Eveningstream »

'Aspen. She sounds familiar...'
Common Knowledge 5, -1 Benny
As, technically, a lord of the Winter court, I figured Nyx might recognize the name.

CK: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:0[/dice:3j1i2bpr]
Wild: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:1[/dice:3j1i2bpr]

Benny 1/3
CK: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:2[/dice:3j1i2bpr]
Wild: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:3[/dice:3j1i2bpr]
Going off of what he recalls about Aspen and what he learned at the Icehouse, Nyx departs. He pulls out his cell and begins scouring the internet. Facebook, news articles new and old, and especially the tabloids are quickly searched. As he searches for information about Aspen online, Nyx heads to the library, Not all news can be found online, but humans are often fastidious in hoarding their knowledge. Old newspapers should be available at the library which could be useful.
Research 10
Somehow the results got garbled. I rolled a 6 on Wild + Skill. Ill just keep the wild die ace result being it didn't get garbled somehow? Or whatever you feel is best.
Research [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:4[/dice:3j1i2bpr] Ace: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:6[/dice:3j1i2bpr]
Wild [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:5[/dice:3j1i2bpr] Ace: [dice:3j1i2bpr]49411:8[/dice:3j1i2bpr]
Nyx Eveningstream
The Tráthnónasruth, Unseelie Pactmaster
Pace: 5; Parry: 5(1) Toughness: 7(2)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Channeling (If a Raise is rolled, reduce the PP cost of the Power by 1)
  • Charismatic (One free Reroll per Persuasion roll)
  • Extra Effort (After the Roll, add +1 or +2 to the Focus total for 1 PP or 3 PP)
  • Strong Willed (+2 when resisting Tests with Smarts or Spirit)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 2/2; PP: 10/20
Bennies: 1/3
Edit Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Not surprisingly, there is little to be found about Aspen in the human media. Fae tended to keep a low profile. However, Nyx does find an article in the Arcane Reporter about a series of bizarre thefts in Baltimore. The items are strange: eyes of newt from an exotic pet store, herbs from a hydroponic greenhouse, dismembered rabbits (missing their feet) from a wildlife park, and more. The newspaper article connects the thefts as magic items, like someone is hunting for spell components.

The reporter ends the article with an open call to wizards and magical types to send information about the potential spell in order to track down the culprits next target.
Signature

Return to “Case Files”