Operation HARE

Post Reply
User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

RAF Station Dunfalk
Home Isles
Commonwealth of Calbernia


It has been some days since you received a signal from Lindun to proceed with all due haste, aside from a brief stopover in Alyeska at Morrdun to pick up new members for the team, back to the Home Isles. Thanks to the near permanent stormy weather that plagues the Great Ocean, the crossing was particularly rough as the Ravener ploughed on through effectively redlining her engines. An engine fire partway through the voyage livened things up and almost put paid to the crossing.

Now at last the storm clouds give way to the misty shores of the western reaches of the Home Isles, with it the Royal Aero-Fleet's most westerly base in the form of RAF Dunfalk. The Ravener limps in, still hurting from her damaged engine, and a gaggle of ground crew swarm like ants to gather her mooring cables and to tend to her needs. Off to one side is a small motorcade of jeeps and some officers.

Note to Players

This is it, start of a new adventure folks!

Simple challenge to begin with; What did your characters get up to on the crossing from Alyeska?

For the new players, it is a chance for them to introduce their characters.

Could also write about how your character responded to the engine fire.

I will award everyone who posts before my GM post next week a Bennie for doing so.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley kept to himself, once onboard the Ravener. He spent time studying his notes. Striving to uncover the hidden meaning behind the things they had encountered and experienced.

When they stopped to get the new recruits, he made an appearance and greeted them warmly. Overseeing their sleeping accomodations and necessary training arrangements, he once again returned to his notes.

Arriving at Dunfalk, he disembarked and headed over to meet with the brass.

He handed the senior most officer a hand written note.
Note to Brass wrote: If more official means are required, let me know.
Please see that Lance Corporal Donnel is buried with full military honors.
Marine Hicks, Wade, and Lappin will need intense medical treatment. I am personally prepared to cover those expenses.
Corporal Malloy should be considerred for promotion.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

The first thing Jackson Virtue knew about the engine fire was the sound of the Ravener's warning klaxon coming from the cockpit. The noise jerked him away from his thoughts. He scanned the craft for the source of the danger before seeing the worrying sight of black smoke escaping from the engine.

Jackson muttered a curse on the head of the officials who had decided that this mission needed someone with his criminal background. Was crashing into the frozen sea a good trade for taking 5 years off your sentence ? He was a locksmith and a safebreaker, not someone who was at the front of the queue when it came to putting himself in danger.

He hung back and let others deal with the fire and it seemed to be under control quite quickly.

As things settled back down, he looked around at the others on the craft. He hadn't spoken much to anyone but he knew he would need to get to know them soon enough.

OOC Comments
This is my first savage rifts post. Currently working out how to add a picture and my stats !

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Crusor was doing sprints around the air ship’s makeshift track. He always loved the challenge in running while this high in the atmosphere. However this was also coupled with the lack of solid ground. Thin air and hyperventilation most certainly did not mix well together. Then he heard the alarm as the ship rattled just enough for him to fall down. It wasn’t a lot but he could smell what little smoke there was. He felt as his breath forcibly quickened. His lungs burning to supply his body with what little oxygen it could. He felt a shift in the craft. A feeling a falling. A feeling that this giant metal object would soon become his grave. He then stilled himself as well as he could before he turned and ran towards the smell of smoke. The only thing that would be worse than dying in this thing, would be dying without holding on to life with tooth and nail. He finally arrived only to quickly help a medic pull a badly burned individual to safety. He quickly did all that he could but just as quickly felt like everything was spinning around him. Nothing to ground it. Like the whole ship was going down. This later turned out to be false but it certainly didn’t help peter in the moment
Last edited by Crusor_Peter45 on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny sat back in his seat with his eyes closed. There were people here whose names he knew he'd have to remember eventually. Not his strong point. Still, it was a new time in his life and a new opportunity, so he would wing it like he usually did.

The bang and jolt stirred him from his musings. And the smell of smoke did not bode well. Looking outside, he could see a problem with an engine. Which is not the sort of thing one wants to see at this altitude. He started thinking of all of the bad outcomes that could result from an engine fire. But then stopped that line of thought as it never did any good. He looked around at the other faces to see if anyone was doing anything about the fire. He assumed that there would be personnel whose job it was to handle that. Because he knew that he wasn't the person to fix something as complex as an airplane engine. At least not with his history of dealing with complex machinery.

He rubbed the scar across his forehead absentmindedly and took another nervous glance out the window. Hopefully someone would do something about the engine. And do it soon.

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald had been flying most of his life, but he had never been on a craft that you could actually move around inside, other than to move from the nose to the tail section of a cargo plane. He desperately wanted to get a look at the bridge on the top decks of the ship, but thought that perhaps the continental members of the RAF were more likely to follow official regulations than those he'd served-with so far on the Alyeskan frontier, so he did not attempt to push his luck getting up there.

His orders were vague, and so he had little idea of what to expect upon arrival at RAF Dunfalk. So far in his career, he was little more of an ice pilot stuffed into a stiff-collared uniform and couldn't fathom what he'd have to offer the Home Isles. He spent most of his time simply observing the crew at work in the massive craft, casually walking around the decks that he was allowed to access. Occasionally he would have to press himself against a bulkhead to keep some bloody, manic marine from bowling him over as he ran up and down the ship like a caged wolf.

He smelled the smoke of the engine fire a few moments after he heard the klaxon sounding the alarm. Having not been given any specific crew assignment, he didn't want to get in the way and so did not rush to the scene. However, he did follow a group of airmen who were quickly making their way to the lower decks from the mess in order to observe how they would deal with a fire on a craft of this size, and to be nearby in case more hands were needed.

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

The crossing home hadn’t been that great. Penelope was used to flying, but not used to airships, and the stormy weather led to a few days in her bunk fighting air sickness. Otherwise she stayed out of the way, focusing on her sketches and schematics, putting down a few new ideas she had for devices to tinker with.

During the fire, Penelope helped care for the injured, as the crew seemed to have things under control, and she would just be in the way, but the ship’s doctor, of course, was always overworked.

Now Penny sat in her bunk with a small hand mirror adding a bit of minimal makeup to her face. She stood and smoothed out her dress, her masculine work clothes tucked away in her duffel. She headed off the ship and put on her ladylike smile as she went to meet the brass waiting for them.

***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The senior officer, a Rear Air Admiral going by his shoulder and sleeve insignia, takes Crowley's notes before quickly reading it and simply nodding. Looking first at the Ravener and then at the members of Griffon Squadron, the officer says out loud. "Looks like you've had a bit of excitement during the crossing, though I'm about to provide some more."

"If you'll please..." He gestures to the waiting jeeps before climbing into the lead vehicle and tapping the driver's shoulder, the small convoy sets off once you are all seated and drives a short distance towards the cluster of buildings on the far side of the airfield. Pulling up outside one of the brick, two-story admin blocks you are gestured inside to one of the briefing rooms. Though you noticed that armed Aero-Marines are posted throughout the building along with 'TOP SECRET; NO ENTRY TO UNAUTHORISED PERSONNEL' signs.

"I'm afraid this next mission requires some haste." Announced the Rear Air Admiral. "A few days ago we received word that a Sodkan scientist, one of a few to survive the Empire's collapse and avoid the clutches of the Iron Collective, is currently within the borders of the Artian Confederation and wishes to defect to us."

"Considering the valuable information he potentially processes regarding research projects of the former Holy Sodkan Empire, he's been deemed too important an asset to pass up." The officer explained. "Your job will be to go into the Confederation and extract him."

"However, the Artians are still technically our allies and so some discretion will be required....though there is some flexibility on the mode of transport you wish to employ. Questions?"

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

Penelope settled into a chair in the briefing room and groaned when told they were going to need to set off quickly. “I was hoping for a bath and a real bed for at least one night,” she said with a sigh.

She considered the admiral’s words. “I’m not sure if we should go into the Confederacy flying a warship,” she had to admit. “Though I guess we’re a merchant cruiser, technically. I suppose we could maintain our cover and get some cargo to trade. Where in the Confederation is this scientist meeting us?”

***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Emboldened by the comments of the woman to his left, Jackson decided it was time to stop skulking in the background. The reality was that he was here so he might as well get to know these people. On the bright side this didn't sound like the most dangerous mission he could have been volunteered for, a quick person grab. Also, It wouldn't hurt to back the woman. She seemed to know what she was talking about and was obviously experienced. It would be good to get on her good side. Assuming she had one.

I agree he said to the room. In my experience going in with weapons pointed can make people a little.......uncooperative.

Jackson Virtue by the way
he said raising his hand. 1st mission.

I like the idea of trading cargo as a way of getting in there. Hey we could even make a profit.

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

At first Gerald wasn't sure whether he should sit or stand, but he followed the cue of the others and took a seat. He tried to keep a look of complete overwhelm and panic from showing as he listened to the Admiral's concise briefing.

They want to swipe a Sodkan scientist from the Artians and they've recruited me for the job? They must have me confused with someone else.

He listened to Ms. Lane and Jackson raise their points and then, before he could talk himself out of speaking-up, asked,

"Sir, if I might ask - where are we to meet this scientist, and how are we to get in contact with them? It seems like that might inform how we approach the rendezvous and extraction."

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The Air Admiral looks to one of the lower ranking officers, who stands up and answers questions.

"The target is located in the town of Felsenburg, which relies in the south-eastern part of the Confederation." The officer answers. "It lies close to the eastern run of the Stomm Peaks and is a trade nexus for routes crossing into both Pamdinia and the Union of Sodkan Republics. So going in under the cover of being traders would be plausible."

"One of our agents is already in the town and made the necessary arrangements for a rendezvous, you're job will simply to go in and pick up the target." Explained the officer, who then looks at the Air Admiral and waits for a nod before continuing. "It must be stressed that the target is deemed to be of great importance, particularly as he claims to have knowledge of a Sodkan research project that was located in Alyeska."

"The strategic implications alone makes this a high priority mission, the possible technological bounty raises the stakes even higher."

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny looks around at the others assembled anxiously awaiting someone else to respond. Seeing everyone else considering what was just shared with them, he cracks his neck and sighs.

"Well, seems like a simple thing. Just a smash and grab. But with no smash. What could possibly go wrong, eh?"

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Crusor looked at all the information provided. Maps, intel briefs, local rumors. There’s always a catch, or it’s easier when you assume there is one an prepare for it. “Any likely opposition?”

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson nodded as Crusoe spoke.

Another opportunity to get on the right side of the crew members, some of who clearly knew each other already. He echoed the question.

""Yes, anyone going to try and stop us".

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny grinned at the questions and mumbled quietly, "I'd like to see them try."

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

“So getting in won’t be a problem,” Penelope said. “That’s good. We’ll need to make contact with the local on the ground, and take the hand off then. Maybe under the guise of taking on new crew. Perhaps in a cargo container. Do the Artians know he’s there? Do the Sondkhan?”

***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

"We suspect the Artian authorities are aware of him, perhaps even keeping a watch on him." The officer replies. "Though it's not believed that they are aware of the information that he possesses, so it wouldn't hurt to exercise caution."

"The Sodkans are an unknown element." Admitted the officer. "It is thought that a number of their records and assets got lost in the cracks during the fragmentation of their Empire. The Union has more pressing matters whilst the Collective is, unfortunately, an enigma....though they've shown little interest in the world beyond their borders."

"Though I must stress haste is a required trait here, the sooner we move the less likely anyone else will pick up on the fact that our target has information of extreme interest."

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald addressed the admiral,

"Seems like we had better get things moving, then, sir. If we are going to go in posing as a merchant airship, we'll need cargo. Is there anything to hand we can load quickly, or do we need to requisition some goods? I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with the situation outside of Alyeska, what's in demand in the Confederation?"

Turning to the people he presumed were now his new crewmates, he said,
"Does the Ravener have any hidey-holes on board? If not we should set-up a place that we can stash this scientist in case Artian customs decides to do a 'random' inspection on our way out."

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson looked over at Gerald, nodding.

She is certainly big enough from what I saw on the trip over. There must be somewhere we can stash the Mark. If there are plans I can take a look or else we can try and sort something out on route.

He turned to the Officer.

Presumably our contact on the ground will know who we are and where and when to meet us but if there is anything else we need to know such as names, descriptions, secret handshakes then it would be good to hear that now..

He paused, waiting to see if the the handshake comment raised a smile.

No expression crossed the officers face.

Jackson added a low sounding Sir.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley was certainly content to let the others of the squad do the talking. At the mention of research and technology, Crowley realized that his suspicions had found words.

"Major, if I understand correctly. We need to sneak in and escort the target out."

"Do we have a safe location to operate from? Would the local air yards work for that?"

Pausing Crowley writes in his book, in his own shorthand. Disguise the target. Possibly coordiante as a medical evacuation. In with a gerney and a body double. Out with the real mccoy. medical vehicle to a delivery vehicle to the air yards.

"We get a delivery vehicle from the air yard in Felsenberg or bring our own. Have it detailed to look like an emergency services vehicle."

"Find and drug a suitable look alike. Place him on a gerney and cover him up."

"Arrive at the mark's location on an emergency. Drug the mark. Swap the bodies. Return to the emergency vehicle."

"At a secure location, we drop the emergency vehicle look and resume our delivery look."

"Return to the air yard and load our mark and remaining cargo."

Pausing once more, to write in his book. What trade goods could we take. What goods good we acquire. Figure a week tops to execute the mission.

"What is something we could utilize to sell ourselves as traders. What coomodity could we sell localy on the streets of Felsenberg?"

"If the Ravener is available. That would be my recommendation for travel to Felsenberg."

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Gerald Blissett wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:15 am
Gerald addressed the admiral,

"Seems like we had better get things moving, then, sir. If we are going to go in posing as a merchant airship, we'll need cargo. Is there anything to hand we can load quickly, or do we need to requisition some goods? I'll admit that I'm not overly familiar with the situation outside of Alyeska, what's in demand in the Confederation?"

Turning to the people he presumed were now his new crewmates, he said,
"Does the Ravener have any hidey-holes on board? If not we should set-up a place that we can stash this scientist in case Artian customs decides to do a 'random' inspection on our way out."
Crusor spoke up again although a little quieter for some unknown reason.
“there are plenty of places to hide aboard. I mean not a lot made for that purpose but...beggars can’t be choosers” he then watched and wondered if he was even heard or noticed.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny shifted his weight back and forth as he stood. He clearly was uncomfortable standing in one spot.

"So... a lot of disguising and fooling others, eh? Well... I guess someone else will have to do the talking, then."

His voice trailed off, indicating that he didn't feel confident in his ability to fool someone.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Manny Costa wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:00 am
Manny shifted his weight back and forth as he stood. He clearly was uncomfortable standing in one spot.

"So... a lot of disguising and fooling others, eh? Well... I guess someone else will have to do the talking, then."

His voice trailed off, indicating that he didn't feel confident in his ability to fool someone.
"Costa?"

Turning to look at one of the new additions to the squad

"Can you drive? How about providing security? How well do you notice details?"

"We may even need a second vehicle or group to act as a diversion or decoy. There is lots to be done sure. And you have and will have an active part."

Crowley walks towards where the command staff is and looks at each other team member.

"Each of you was hand picked and selected for this squad and for the missions that lay ahead. Innovation and tenacity and a no quit attitude. You each have those plus otherskills which tie in well."

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny smirked as he was addressed.

"Security? You're speaking my language now. I can definitely keep things nice and secure."

He casually placed his fist into his other hand and grinned.

"Driving? Ehhh, not so much. I mean, I drove my mother to the store when I was younger, but I'm no stunt driver. I mostly just punch things."

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The officers conferred amongst themselves for a moment with the occasional sideway glance at Crowley, though they kept their voices low. At last one of the officers addressed the team once more. "It may be tricky, but a suitable vehicle could be sourced locally."

"As for trade goods, some barrels of whisky can be requisitioned." The officer continued. "These may even provide additional options for you with regards to the execution of your mission."

"It seems you have the genesis of a plan." Said the Air Admiral. "As stated, time is of the essence here and so I will not detain you any further."

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Well people we best make a move.

Jackson gathered his backpack containing all the belongings he was permitted to bring on this trip. Hefting the bag over his shoulder he made ready to leave for the Ravener.

He considered asking his new crew mate if he was seriously thinking of leaving a poor innocent drugged up guy at the hands of the Artisans but decided against it. No sense upsetting people

It was a bold plan but not one that sat well with him. He would have to keep an eye out for Crowley. He was clearly someone who got the job done no matter what it took.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny stretched and twisted his body. A few small pops and cracks came from his spine as it stretched out.

"Well, I'd better enjoy the leg room now before we get back in the air." he chuckled as he said this.

He gathered his very few belongings and looked at the others to lead the way.

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

“We can build in a smuggler’s cache on the way over,” Penelope told the others. “Something he will be comfortable in, but that the authorities will hopefully not notice. The whiskey will be a good cover, as well.”

She gathered her duffel and boarded the Reaver again. After tossing her things in her curtained off bunk, she went sorting for somewhere the hidden compartment could be built.

***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

It is a short jeep ride back to the Ravener, the airship was still being attended to by the ground crew who were busy making repairs. The fire damaged engine had been removed and it's replacement was in the process of being hoisted into place. Hawthorne was supervising some of the airship's crew as they loaded fresh supplies onboard.

One of the officers from the briefing heads over to speak with Corporal Mallory and hands him a piece of paper, the Aero-Marine reads it before snapping off the smartest salute he's done in his life. After returning the salute, the officer shakes Mallory's and then departs.

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

Penelope changed into her men’s clothes again and then found the carpentry crew. “I think I found a space where we can build a hidey hole,” she said. “Can you check it out and see if it will work, and if you can build it?” she asked.

***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley traveled in the first vehicle to the air field and was the first man out on the ground as the others gathered their gear and began loading onto the Ravener.

He pulled his notebook from his coat pocket, flipped it open and began issuing instructions from his carefully written notes.

@Penelope Lane "What roll would serve you best, doctor or driver?"

@Crusor_Peter45 & @Manny Costa "Gentleman, you are going to be our muscle on this mission. Heavy lifting. Close Quarters Combat. Body Snatcher. Brush up on those hand to hand and grappling skills."

"On second thought, Ms. Lane you and @Gerald Blissett will be responsible for our sales, vehicle procurement, and our disguise."

As Jackson @PeteRPG gets near, Crowley steps out in front of him momentarily. Whispering "We all have our reasons for being where we are now and with those we are with. I only sacrifice the stupid and arrogant to get the mission done. If you are neither stupid nor arrogant, you have little to worry about."

Just as quickly as he had stepped in front of Jackson, Crowley moved back to his position by the gangplank. "Jackson, you are to be our driver. We will need to acquire the approrpiate licenses for you once we touch down."

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald tried not to visibly blanche as Crowley told him his assignment. All of this seemed well outside of his skill set.

But then, I suppose I have some experiencing disguising aircraft, from my former life, he thought to himself, so maybe I can hack something together. Ms. Lane here seems to be more comfortable with this situation, at least.

Turning to Ms. Lane, he said, "Well, I suppose we have our orders from Lt(?) Crowley, Ms. Lane. I get the impression you've worked with him before. Do you know whether someone has already put in a requisition for the whiskey, or do we need to do that ourselves? I'll be honest, this is all happening a lot faster than I'm used to and I'm doing my best to keep up."

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Peter thought about what to do next. Probably either helping Penelope in finding a good spot for smuggling, or possibly doing sparing matches and drills with manny. Perhaps even doing a mock operation with the whole team if they could spare them.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson stared at Crowley as he leant in and whispered in his ear. It was as if the guy had read his mind. He started to stutter a response but Crowley had stepped away and given his command about driving. Jackson paused and then smiled. Driving was something he could do. He nodded at Crowley and headed into the body of the Ravener.

let's roll he thought.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny loaded up his bag, all of his worldly belongings, and then looked around. Brushing up on his combat skills seemed to be a bit difficult without a sparring partner. He needed to find something to do to help get things underway. He looked around again to see what needed to be done.

"So, anyone needed anything heavy picked up or moved?" he said to whoever might be listening.

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The next hour or so round the Ravener was spent as a hive of frantic activity as the crew sought to get the airship restocked and ready once more to take to the skies. Fitting the replacement engine wasn't without teeming problems as the mechanics tried to connect the right pipes and wiring in addition to ensuring the engine worked as intended. Things got more hectic when a truck load of whisky barrels arrived and stowed away in the airship's cargo hold, a task that required most of the available crewmen. Somehow Hawthorne brought order to the chaos and was greatly aided by Mallory, who now proudly bore the stripes of a sergeant, who returned after a brief absence.

At last the airship was finally ready, save for a sealed envelope that was handed over with instructions to be opened once airborne.

Contents of Envelope
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley reads the contents of the envelope and make sure that each team member is familiar with the information.

@Gerald Blissett "Go easy on the whiskey. Need to make sure we have enough to sell our cover."

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Peter tipped one of the barrels and began rolling it up towards the ramp of the ship. “So does that mean we can’t have a party tonight?”

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

With the barrels loaded Jackson stopped and listened to the instructions for meeting their contact. He repeated the key words to himself to help memorise them, although he planned on letting the others do the talking when it came to it.

"I wonder if we need a sentence containing KING, or we just say the word Jackson asked no-one in particular. He smirked, thinking of a few words that ended 'king.

Jackson dropped his bag near a bench then sat ready for takeoff. He pulled his pocket knife out, unfolded the blade and absently started to pick at his fingernails with its tip.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Loading whiskey barrels was something Manny could get into. It was that sort of active, monotonous work that didn't require a lot of thought.

"Peter, that is my kind of party!" he chuckled as the last barrel was loaded.

Manny looked around for any other items to load up and seeing none, he grabbed his pack and joined the others in preparation for takeoff.

"Who is 'King'?" he asked, looking around at the others.

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald winked at @Aleister Crowley as he helped roll the barrels up the Ravener's gangplank.

"Of course not, sir. Just a couple of drams - call it an assay so we can get an idea of its quality and really sell selling it, if you take my meaning, sir."

After everything was stowed, Gerald tried to find something to do to make himself useful while racking his brain to think if he had any contacts that had made runs to the Artian Confederation, or if he recalled any stories about airborne person-smuggling.

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Commonwealth/Home Isles/RAF Station Dunfalk
Round 0

Penelope nodded to Crowley as he assigned her to procurement. “Understood, sir,” she said. Good thing she had packed some good women’s clothes. Always good to flirt a bit with a salesman to get a good deal.

Penny gave Gerald a reassuring smile. “I’m fairly sure the crew have the whiskey, whether they requisitioned it or not,” she said with a chuckle. “But I will get on the horn about that.” She moved over to the wireless box hanging on the wall of the hanger.

Once everything was loaded, Penelope asked Crowley, “Sir -- or, rather, Mr. Crowley, if we’re merchants. Would you prefer me in more...civilian dress?” she asked, gesturing to the men’s clothing she tended to wear for missions. “I have a dress below, if I’m supposed to be selling this whiskey like a merchant.”
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

After some time and effort, the Ravener was made ready. She rose into the sky without any pomp or ceremony, the only real onlookers to observe her departure were some of the ground crew who'd paused to watch the ramshackle airship drift up into the wild blue yonder.

The trip over to the Confederation takes a couple of days, after the Ravener's recent engine troubles Hawthorne doesn't wish to push things too hard too soon. It is a leisurely journey, drifting across the Calbernian Home Isles and then across the ocean towards Artian lands, though your airship is just one of dozens if not hundreds of other craft that fill the sky. You see the gauntlet of aero-craft ranging from lumbering transport planes, meandering airships and stout skyships. It reinforces the point that your in civilisation with it's bustling that's a far cry from the wild frontier of Alyeska.

On the second day of your journey, the Ravener gets hailed by an Artian customs craft....

Note to Players
Your first potential spot of bother.

It's up to you to decide amongst yourselves how to handle the customs vessel, be it attempting to flee or 'bluff' your way past with a Persuasion roll.

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Peter watched the craft from the port window. The only reason he wasn’t panicking at the mere glimpse out the window was because the water in his canteen burned a little as it went down. what the higher ups didn’t know wouldn’t hurt him. However having a buzzed enforcer wasn’t exactly the best idea.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson was sat with two of the crew, playing cards. He had lost the first two hands and was wondering whether to bail now or try and win back his losses when the customs ship hailed them.

He looked at the others waiting for one of them to act.

Surely we can bluff our way out of this he thought.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Hawthorne calls Crowley to the bridge. "We got an Artian customs vessel hailing us."

Crowley grabs the radio, in Artian, "Hail from the Ravener."

"I take it by your inquiry, that our documents did not get through."

"We have a decent supply of well aged whiskey requested by local clients. Do you have a hanger that
Persuassion 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
while we get the paperwork worked out?
"

"Maybe you have a space in the Trade Sector, we could land in. If nothing else we could get our whiskey sold and leave before the papers arrive."

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

Penelope came up onto the bridge. She was dressed as a proper woman, in a straight line, fashionable red dress, the wind tugging at her red hair, it being too windy for a proper hat. She had her belt tossed over her shoulder so her gear would be available if she needed it, or she could easily stash it if the authorities wanted to make an inspection.
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny set his cards down and looked over at Jackson.

"What do you think? We're barely into the mission and already this..."

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

As soon as Gerald heard they had been hailed by an Artian airship he made straight for the main deck, binoculars in hand. He could see that Ms. Lane and Crowley were already on the bridge, and assumed they were working on a very slick plan to talk their way out of this. Crowley had never been much good at that himself, and hoped this crew he was now part of were as well-coordinated as it seemed.

Putting the binoculars to his eyes, he scoured the skies for the Artian vessel, trying to
Notice 1d4!!: [2] = 2 Wild Die 1d6!!: [1] = 1
anything that might be useful, such as the size and potential speed of the vessel, whether it was alone or part of a task group, or anything else that he and the others could use to devise a plan.
OOC Comments
Edit: spending a benny to re-roll (must have left the lens caps on the binoculars).
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Wild Die 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The customs craft is a small aero-vessel, much smaller than the Ravener and crewed by less than a dozen souls. It's armament is comparably light, being a sole deck gun and a heavy machine gun. Whilst a far cry from a craft of war, it had it's smaller size going for it and was clearly built for speed.

OOC Comments
Image
Aleister Crowley wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:19 pm
Crowley grabs the radio, in Artian, "Hail from the Ravener."

"I take it by your inquiry, that our documents did not get through."

"We have a decent supply of well aged whiskey requested by local clients. Do you have a hanger that
Persuassion 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
while we get the paperwork worked out?
"

"Maybe you have a space in the Trade Sector, we could land in. If nothing else we could get our whiskey sold and leave before the papers arrive."
A moment passes before the radio crackles into life once more as the Artian craft responds. "Understood."

"Ground-side authorities have been notified." The speaker continued. "You are clear to dock in aero-wharf zero-nine, please have logs ready for inspection."

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

Penelope breathed a sigh of relief. At least they wouldn’t be shooting it out with authorities right from the start.

“Please tell me someone had the foresight to mock up some actual paperwork for our whiskey,” she said. “Take your time heading in to the wharf,” she instructed the pilot.
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson looked up.

"Sounds like Crowley has sweet talked them"he said to Manny across the card table.

Jackson turned to Penelope. His eyes took in her change of clothes. He swallowed before speaking.

"Fake papers? That's something I could have a look at if we haven't got anything. I've been known to do a little creative writing in the past when it's been required"

He got up from the table, grabbed what was left of his stake and headed towards the hold where the whiskey was stored.

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Pvt Crusor Meanwhile was mostly useless as he stood there. Finally after a moment he decided to grab his kit and go find a hidden spot where he could overlook the entrance to the ship.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny dropped his cards onto the table and sighed a bit.

"That's a little time in our favor" he mumbled to no one in particular.

He stood up and stretched his arms. His hand slipped into his pocket and absentmindedly slipped the brass knuckles on.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Once in the cargo hold Jackson took out a pen from his breast pocket He slipped a pair of round wire rimmed spectacles over his ears.

He found the roster book where crew shifts would normally be recorded on a less sensitive journey.

This could do it he thought. He put the book down on a nearby table and started to write up a fake invoice and order sheet.

It felt good stretching the old creative muscles again.
OOC Comments
Thievery 1d8!! Wilddice 1d6!!: [1]+[1] = 2

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

OOC Comments
Spending a Benny. That was terrible.

Also think I messed that's notation of my roll up.

Thievery re roll. 1d8!!: [6] = 6

Wild die 1d6!!: [21!!] = 21

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley smiles inside. His stoic exterior is unbroken and unphased.

"We need to be ready to move with phase two as soon as we hit the ground. We need transportation and maybe one of those whiskey barrels converted to a storage container."

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Hearing Crowley's orders, Gerald headed down to the cargo and grabbed a few of the crew on the way.

"If you've got any empty canteens, bring them, because we're about to have to get rid of a lot of whiskey awfully quickly."

As the liquor began pouring out of the bung the crew tried to catch what they could while the rest went into a waste water drain. Gerald began thinking of how they could convert it into a smuggling container.

We may be able to create a small partition that we can re-fill with whiskey to give it a more realistic sloshing motion as it moves, and also to help disguise it against casual inspection. But we're still going to need to have some kind of air exchange so whoever that poor HARE bastard is doesn't suffocate while they're hiding in here.

Is there any kind of rebreather or SCUBA-like technology in Frozen Skies? Something the crew might wear when the air is very thin or if they are dealing with fire control? I'm sure Gerald or another member of the party can come up with other ideas, but I thought I'd rule-out the simplest option first.

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny hopped up, eager at the opportunity to do something. Following Gerald down to the cargo, he started muscling the barrels around easily to drain what was necessary for the plan.

Seems a shame to dump this out, he sighed. But I don't know that we have enough canteens to store it all!

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

The crew busies themselves with the preparations for the next stage of the mission as the Ravener drifts like some great levitation through the air as the pilot manoeuvrers the airship down to it's docking berth. Mooring lines are thrown out as the airship is eased down towards the aero-wharf, the ground crew hurry forward to catch the lines before fasting them to anchor points. Some rather stern looking Artian officials board once the gangway has been lowered and carefully
Notice 1d8!!: [1] = 1
the papers whipped up by Jackson, though they appear satisfied and hand the papers back. "Ve commend your clerk, not always ve get paperwork so thoroughly and correctly filled out."

The Artian customs officers then depart, leaving the crew to breath a sigh of relief before beginning to unload the Raveners' cargo.

Note to All
Notice roll from everyone is required here.

@Gerald Blissett there is some breathing gear onboard, think WW2 era gas masks with an air pipe attachment.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley had been there when the custom officers had come aboard, ready to discuss any issues. As the rest of the crew breathe a sigh of relief, Crowley heads back to where @Gerald Blissett was working.

"It will likely take me a couple of hours to nail down a few locations to sell the whiskey."

Holding out his hand for the straps of a few of the canteens. "We need to be getting samples, in order to sell the barrels. Please secure the remainder for the trip back."

@Penelope Lane "Ms. Lane, we need your feminine wiles to get our product into the right peoples hands."

@PeteRPG "Jackson, we need a couple of local IDs. Forgeries of them so that we can travel through town without issues."

Notice 1d6!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2


Disembarking from the Ravener, Crowley finds someone that looks official. "Any chance you know of a delivery truck nearby that we could borrow. There was not one for us to secure before we left?"
Last edited by Aleister Crowley on Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny stood quietly with his hands behind his back, carefully slipping the brass knuckles onto his hand.

Now is not the time for a fight to break out.

He keeps a close eye on the Artians as they are on board.
OOC Comments
I botched the formatting for my Notice rolls, I will assume a failed Notice check and be more diligent with my notation next time.

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Notice 5
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Wild Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Networking/Support 2
Persuasion 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

“Ready for my closeup!” Penelope told the captain, eager to be off the airship after all that time traveling. She accepted one of the canteens of samplers. “Shall we ask around and see who’s buying?”
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Seeing that they were going to touch down before he could complete his work, Gerald righted the now empty barrel and replaced it with the others while he mentally began thinking through how he might be able to rig up a gas mask and piping as a snorkel.

He wasn't aware of holding his breath when the customs officers boarded, but when they left he let out a huge lungful of air, his hands shaking behind his back. He was used to being in the cockpit of a plane during this part of a run, ready to start the engines and make a hell-for-leather break for it. Being in the belly of this ponderous airship, he felt much more vulnerable.


Notice 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Wild Die 1d6!!: [5] = 5


After he was sure the customs crew was gone he got back to work on the barrel for HARE, which he was now mentally calling his "Rabbit Trap".


Repair 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild Die 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson glanced over nervously as the officials studied his forged invoices. He knew he had done a pretty good job but you never knew what little error might catch you out. He smiled as they handed the invoices back and left the Ravener. He looked around at his crew mates for some form of appreciation but they were all focused on making the next part of the plan work.

Hearing Crowley's instructions to start working on IDs , Jackson nodded and turned back to the desk he was using. This would be a bit more of a challenge.

He got to work.

Thievery 1d8!+1: [5]+1 = 6 ; Thievery Wild Die 1d6!: [3] = 3


Notice 1d6!+2 ; Wild die 1d6!: [3]+2+[4] = 9



User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

Aleister Crowley wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm
Disembarking from the Ravener, Crowley finds someone that looks official. "Any chance you know of a delivery truck nearby that we could borrow. There was not one for us to secure before we left?"
The first 'official' person that Crowley finds is a man supervising some of the dock workers in unloading another airship, his peaked cap and uniform making him stand out from the garb worn by the workers. The man is stunned by Crowley's question for a moment before he answers in a heavy Artian accent. "....Truck?"

Another man sallies over, though eagle-eyed persons in the crew would've noticed this man having lent against a nearby wall observing the Ravener. The newcomer interrupts the conversation between Crowley and the dock official. "Yer after a truck eh? Got one parked nearby if ya interested?"

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Crowley is a little mifed and realizes that his Artian is a tad bit rusty in some areas.

He ignores the newcomer and turns to talk with Ms. @Penelope Lane. "What do you make of it all?"

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

Penelope glanced at Crowley, and then looked at the dock worker and the newcomer. “We’re whiskey wholesalers,” she explained to the dockworker. “Would you like some samples?” She handed over one of the canteens. “Our normal point of sale fell through last minute, but we got a lead on another dealer. His name is Mr. LURCHER. They say he is the KING of Whiskey.”
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

"Dankeschön!" Replies the dock official, eyes lighting up as he reaches for the offered canteen.

"Nectar o' the gods I'm sure." Answered the newcomer. "I'm more of a smokes man meself. Partial to Royals Blue, though tis hard ta come by here and the local stuff is rough as anything."

"I knew o' a Mr Lurcher, though last I heard he's ceased trading."

Note to Players
@Aleister Crowley and @Penelope Lane can attempt a Notice roll on the newcomer.

Everyone else can do a Notice roll glancing round the aero-wharf as a whole.

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald, feeling somewhat lightheaded from testing out the makeshift breathing apparatus, pulled a tarpaulin over his project and decided to have a look at the docks. He'd never been to the Artian Confederation, but had known Artians in Alyeska and spoke the language a little. He came down the gangplank and saw Crowley and Ms. Lane in conversation with some locals, so decided to hang back and just observe.


Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild Die 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Notice on local 3
Notice 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

“Royals Blue, you say?” Penelope confirmed. “It’s unfortunate to hear that Mr. Lurcher is no longer in business. I was told he had a rare pet HARE I was looking forward to seeing. I’m a bit of a naturalist, you might say.”
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
OOC Comments
(hoping I notated my dice correctly this time)
Manny was always unsure what to do with his hands in situations like this. He alternated between putting them in his pockets and clasping them behind his back. After a moment, he decided he'd best take a look around the place to take in the "lay of the land" and see if there is anything interesting going on.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson peered through a window next to where he was working on the IDs. He could see Penny and Crowley talking with someone. Was that the contact he wondered.

His eyes shifted around the scene.
Notice 1d6!+2: [4]+2 = 6 Wild die 1d6: [6] = 6


He gathered up the fake IDs and headed for the exit ramp. He felt a a small kick of adrenaline, he had the familiar feeling of things starting to escalate. He smiled.
Dice rolls
Notice 1d6! , Wild 1d6!: [6!, 4]+[3] = 13

Crusor_Peter45
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Crusor_Peter45 »

Peter tried to survey a route for him to use to sneak out. He wasn’t much good at talking or the other parts of espionage. That meant all he really could do was find a place to hide, and to act as a forward observer. Oh and he could drink as well but even that he wasn’t very good at.

Notice roll
OOC Comments
1d6+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

Penelope Lane wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:41 am
“Royals Blue, you say?” Penelope confirmed. “It’s unfortunate to hear that Mr. Lurcher is no longer in business. I was told he had a rare pet HARE I was looking forward to seeing. I’m a bit of a naturalist, you might say.”
"Aye, Royals Blue." The man nodded. "The Arties don't appreciate a good smoke."

"A pet hare ye say?" Replied the man. "That he did, a jill. Been keeping an eye on it."

"Oh, wheres me manners!" The man abruptly says, holding out a hand. "Me name's Corbec, Connell Corbec."

Notice Result
@Gerald Blissett, you spy a couple of men dressed like dock workers stood at the far end of the pier watching the conversation between Crowley, Penelope and the newcomer.

After a moment, the two men turn and proceed to walk towards the nearest exit.

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Turning as Ms. @Penelope Lane hands over the canteen, Crowley does a
Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
of dockworker and the newcomer.

"Yes a real shame that Mr. Lurcher is no longer in business."

"It will be more important now that we get a truck to get the whiskey to potential buyers."

In Artian, Crowley thanks the Dockworker for his time.

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

“Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Corbec,” Penelope said. “I would still like to meet this Mr. Lurcher and see his hare. Perhaps you could assist us in finding transportation for our wares? We would, of course, be willing to pay.”
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Not seeing anything out of order, Manny decided to try to look busy. He milled about the cargo, carefully considering the number and arrangement of barrels. All the while, keeping an eye out for any signs of danger. He had overheard the conversation and understood that the initial contact had been compromised. But it seemed that the group was attempting to still move forward with an improvised plan. He would just have to wait and watch. And be ready.

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald quickly grabbed a clipboard and began scribbling on it as he walked down the gangplank to @Aleister Crowley and @Penelope Lane.

"Excuse me sir, ma'am. We've had a slight irregularity in the shipping manifest, could you take a look at the final count the crew came up with?" Handing the clipboard to them, they can see scrawled over a sheet from the Ravener's maintenance log the words:

Two men watching you talk. Far end of pier. Heading toward exit.

"The discrepancy clearly needs to be dealt with quickly, wouldn't you agree? Should I get @Manny Costa to help sort it out?"

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson nodded at @Penelope Lane and @Aleister Crowley as they crossed paths, them heading to talk to @Gerald Blissett, and he walking towards his Corben fellow.

Jackson had caught the word Truck and he had decided to follow up on that.

Hi Mr Corben. I'm Jackson. I hear you might be able to help us get our hands on a truck?

As he spoke, Jackson pulled a small battered tin from out of his breast pocket. He flipped the lid and offered one of the rolled cigarettes inside to Corben.

Persuade 1d6!+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Persuade Wild die 1d6!: [2] = 2

User avatar
Aleister Crowley
Posts: 75
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Aleister Crowley »

Gerald Blissett wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:38 pm
Gerald quickly grabbed a clipboard and began scribbling on it as he walked down the gangplank to Aleister Crowley and Penelope Lane.

"Excuse me sir, ma'am. We've had a slight irregularity in the shipping manifest, could you take a look at the final count the crew came up with?" Handing the clipboard to them, they can see scrawled over a sheet from the Ravener's maintenance log the words:

Two men watching you talk. Far end of pier. Heading toward exit.

"The discrepancy clearly needs to be dealt with quickly, wouldn't you agree? Should I get Manny Costa to help sort it out?"
"We need to attend to all descrepencies. This is not a holiday we are on here. Handle those irregularities with caution but swiftly."

Crowley nods to @Gerald Blissett before he turns to Mr. Corbec.

@PeteRPG "Jackson here will oversee your proposed transportation. Maybe you would enjoy some Royal Blue while we wait for the vehicle assessment to be completed." Waving a hand, he prompts Corbec to proceed and urges Jackson forward to discuss the transportation, while he and Ms. @Penelope Lane brought up the rear.

User avatar
Penelope Lane
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 4:29 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Penelope Lane »

Artian Confederation/Felsenberg
Round 0

Penelope read the clipboard warning and nodded as Crawley sent the boys to clear up the misunderstanding.

“Yes, please. Since we seem to have some time, feel free to join us on board to discuss how we may continue,” Penny said with a sweet smile to Corbec. They needed to know just how compromised they might be, and if they could still complete the mission.
Mission Codes
Upon arrival in Felsenberg you'll be approached by your contact, codename; LURCHER

Any person who approaches you should be challenged with the passphrase; KING

LURCHER must correctly reply with RED to confirm identity, however if the response is BLUE it means they have been compromised.

Any other response, you are to use your discretion whether to abort mission.

Target will be referred simply as HARE

Codeword POACHER to be used for mission success; GROUNDSMAN for mission failure.
***
Character Tracking
Penelope Lane Character Sheet
Parry: 4; Toughness: 5
PP: 20/20; Recovery: 5/hour
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Bolt, Darksight
Rifle Ammo: 10/10
  • Spare ammo: 100
Revolver Ammo: 6/6
  • Spare ammo: 100


The Ravener
Zephyr-class Armed Merchant Cruiser
Size: 16 (Gargantuan/6 Wounds)
Handling: -2
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Toughness: 14/4 (2/0) - Gondola/Envelope
Weapons: 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Left), 3x 6-inch cannons (Fixed Right)
Crew: ~50
Notes: 6x engines (3 either side), capacity for 3 light or medium sized aircraft (1 air deck + 2 launch ramps), Heavy Armor

User avatar
Gerald Blissett
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:56 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Gerald Blissett »

Gerald left the clipboard in Penelope's hands as he turned to @Manny Costa by the stacked barrels. Under the pretext of offering a cigarette, he leaned in and said,

"We've got a couple of suspicious-looking blokes who eyed us up and are leaving the docks: see the tall one with the gray hat, and the shorter one with mutton chops? @Aleister Crowley wants us to catch up to them as carefully and quickly as we can. Let's try to keep up the cover as best we can, but be ready for things to turn ugly. Oh, and ... you may have to do most of the catching and chasing,"here Gerald indicates toward his prosthetic leg, " but I'll do my best to keep up.

Gerald then grabbed a nearby crowbar and checked to make sure his pistol was secure in its holster under his coat before setting off after the pair.


Let me know if you need a benny for the crowbar, and I hope it's ok that I added some identifying details for the two goons

Discord: swampson


Gerald - Pilot (Frozen Skies)

User avatar
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by stormwell »

"I've got a truck parked outside, tis the flatbed with an emerald green cab." Corbec answered. "Oh, cheers for the smokes."

"Sure I'll pop in fer a natter if theres a cuppa going lass." Corber grinned at Penelope.


Crowbar is fine, so is the extra details....I'd allow a benny to be awarded for that.

User avatar
Manny Costa
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:41 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by Manny Costa »

Manny nods at Gerald and slips his brass knuckles on out of sheer habit. The takes the proffered smoke and tucks it into his breast pocket.

He casually looks around at the two indicated by Gerald and then without a word sets out after his targets.

PeteRPG
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:55 am

Re: Operation HARE

Post by PeteRPG »

Jackson watched @Manny Costa head off. He wondered briefly if he should tag along. See if he could help but he decided to hang back. He would be driving soon. No need to get mixed up in anything violent.

He popped one of his cigarettes in his mouth, flicked his lighter to life and headed off to see if he could find the emerald green truck that Corbec had told them they could use.

Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”