Mox: Nanite Swarm Refurbisher

This is where previously used character sheets are stored.
Resurrecting any character from this forum requires template validation/update, and total equipment restart.
Mox

Mox: Nanite Swarm Refurbisher

Post by Mox »

Character Sheet

Player Name: Paul
Google Handle: paulshao80
Character Name: Mox
Race: Alien Nanite Swarm
Iconic Framework: MARS PCO Refurbisher
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d12, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: +0; Pace: 6 (Fly 6); Parry: 5 ; Toughness: 4 (OEA 13(7), T13 11(6)); Strain: 0
Bennies: 3/3
Alien Nanite Swarm
Alien Nanite Swarm
A techno-organic hivemind composed of thousands of tiny, self-replicating machines bound by a malleable, electromagnetic field, the Alien Nanite Swarm's origins are shrouded in mystery. Is it a member of some alien race? A servitor that has evolved by accident or design to self-awareness? Whatever the case, the swarm's innate understanding of electronic machines make it an adept mechanic and operator capable of hijacking systems and interfacing directly with vehicles, weapons and armor, which it can "wear" as a body of sorts. Otherwise, the swarm may mold itself into a vaguely humanoid shape, allowing it to manipulate objects and communicate via carefully-tuned harmonic vibration.
Racial Abilities and Complications
  • Cyber-Resistant: Although capable of upgrading itself (through Advancements), a nanite swarm is incapable of using traditional cybernetics.
  • Dependency: Electricity The swarm must spend an hour per day interfacing with a source of electricity to recharge itself; failure to do so inflicts one level of Fatigue per day until Incapacitation; the following day, the swarm dies.
  • Distinctive D-Bee Floating clouds of D-bee space dust that control machines are the stuff of nightmares within the Coalition. A swarm suffers a -4 Charisma with CS citizens.
  • Fragile Bonds The electromagnetic field that holds the swarm together is not as strong as bone and muscle and is susceptible to disruption. The swarm suffers -1 Toughness and is -4 to resist electricity-based powers (electrical attacks do +4 damage). In addition, the swarm makes all Strength rolls (including damage) at a -1 penalty.
  • Inquisitive Interloper A stranger in a strange land, the nanite swarm is hard-wired to learn all it can about its new surroundings. It has the Curious Hindrance.
  • Machine Mind The swarm functions as an advanced computer and has an innate ability to interface with electronics and machines. The swarm gains the benefits of the Core Electronics Package cybernetic upgrade (without suffering Strain) and begins with d6 Knowledge: Computers, d6 Knowledge: Cybernetics and d6 Knowledge: Engineering.
  • Mobile Swarm The swarm can create an electromagnetic field to organize itself into a humanoid shape or other form as needed, allowing it to walk upright and manipulate objects like most other races. In addition, the swarm can compress to Size -3 (Strength and Toughness are unchanged) at will, allowing it to slip under doors or into other tight spaces that are not environmentally-sealed.
  • Restricted Path Nanite swarms are incapable of using magic or psionics and may never gain any Arcane Background Edge.
  • Self-Replicating The swarm constantly recycles and replaces damaged nanites, allowing it to regenerate quickly. It may make a natural Healing roll once per day. Whenever the swarm suffers a permanent injury, it may make a natural healing roll once recovered from the Incapacitation which caused the injury; if successful, the injury heals after 1d6 days.
  • Techno-Organic Construct The swarm doesn't breathe, has no vital organs (and so is immune to the extra damage from a Called Shot) and is immune to poison and disease. The swarms bio-metal components heal as normal (but see "Self-Replicating") and it must consume organic material to survive.
Skills:
  • Fighting d6
  • Healing d6+2
  • Investigation d6+2 +2 undercover
  • Knowledge (Computers) d6
  • Knowledge (Cybernetics) d6
  • Knowledge (Electronics) d10+3
  • Knowledge (Engineering) d10+3
  • Knowledge (Law) d6
  • Knowledge (Politics) d8
  • Lockpicking d6+2
  • Notice d6 +2 search through evidence, +2 related to traps
  • Persuasion d6+2 +2 connection rolls, +2 undercover
  • Piloting d8
  • Repair d10+2 +1 if electronic, +2 related to traps, +4 if CEP
  • Shooting d8
  • Stealth d8 +2 urban, +2 undercover
  • Streetwise d8+2 +2 connection rolls, +2 undercover
  • Common Knowledge d12 +4 when playing disguise/role, +4 if CEP
    • Forgery: treat as Common Knowledge w/ extra +2
  • Unskilled d4-2
Hindrances
  • Kleptomaniac (Major): Anything not bolted down (and some things that are... are free game). Mox struggles with the concept of property ownership.
  • Curious (Minor): A stranger in a strange land, the nanite swarm is hard-wired to learn all it can about its new surroundings.
  • Enemy (Minor): Thanks to his Kleptomania, Mox has inadvertently made enemies
  • Enemy (Minor): Thanks to his Kleptomania, Mox has inadvertently made enemies
Edges
  • (IF): Linguist Start with 12 (+4 HJ) = 16 languages; Smarts -2 roll to be understood in any language/dialect she has heard spoken for at least a week.
  • (IF): Scholar +2 to two different Knowledge skills (Electronics, Engineering)
  • (HJ): Investigator +2 to Investigation and Streetwise rolls, and also Notice to search through evidence.
  • (HJ): Healer +2 to all Healing rolls, magical and mundane; Affects 5 of Healer’s allies too.
  • (HJ): Mr. Fixit +2 to Repair rolls. A raise halves the time normally required to fix something
  • (HJ): I Know a Guy roll Connections once per session
  • (HJ): Thief +2 to Climbing/Lockpick/Stealth (urban), and Notice/Repair related to traps and similar devices.
  • (N2): Tinkerer Like any master operator, you are skilled at modifying machines, but for you it goes beyond simple repair. You may make use of the Tinkering Modification rules.
  • (N3): Electromagnetic Mobility Fly at a speed equal to your Pace.
  • (S1): Super-Scientist These inventors can go well beyond the normal bounds of the technology of the day and create truly amazing, if somewhat quirky, devices. Your character may utilize the SuperTech rules to create permanent technological items that break the rules of normal technology.
  • (S2): Elan When you spend a Benny on a Trait roll (including Soak rolls), add +2 to the final total.
Core Electronics Package (race): Mini-computer and interface jack, radio with 20 mile range; +4 to appropriate Repair checks and Common Knowledge rolls
Last edited by Mox on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Mox

Background

Post by Mox »

Background

Unknown Origin
”Twenty years past” wrote:”What do you mean indigenous structures?!” Nordfin Wallube fumes, bits of exotic calamari erupting from his mouth. The ‘young’ Altess always got his way and the situation felt like an affront. Unburdened by protocol in this meeting, he is quick to replace the lost food with another rare delicacy that he eats with minimal enthusiasm.

”A long-extinct civilization that used to exist on Eurelion but whose building structures have yet to be fully reclaimed by the planet’s natural cycles. As you pointed out the weather there is idyllic and so the wear and tear has not progressed as far as one would expect. Planetary survey suggests the radiation levels from the thermonuclear war has faded and the fauna/flora have returned in earnest. I suggest we enlist a terraforming company to go in and excavate.” Nordfin’s steward, Thoroo explains while swiping through holographic visual aids.

An upraised hand cuts him off before Thoroo can get another word in, Eurelion is a nearly flawless size 15 Gaia planet. It is just far enough off the space lanes to avoid congestion and yet close enough to attract high-valuation tourists. I intend to convert my investment into a top-revenue global amusement park. And you are telling me that the skeletal remains of some extinct 20th century civilization is going to quadruple my upfront cost?! Unacceptable.” Wallubes had a long tradition of being innovative problem solvers. Nordfin was no different. While his steward droned on about the merits of his recommendation, the Altess stopped listening. Instead, he steepled his fingers and tackled the mental challenge before him. Moments later, his eyes lit up.

”Deploy nano-weapon archive RS-32115. What did they call it, the ‘Machine Pox’? Talk to Rear Admiral Thantes, he owes me a favor. That should eat away all the non-organic and technological material there. Give it a couple season cycles without the structures and it will be perfect for my needs.” Nordfin states with certainty. Surprised by the recommendation, Thoroo knew better than to question his superior. Especially when his face was set with some ardent determination.
”Eighteen years past” wrote:”Sir, there has been a complication with the Eurelion project.” Thoroo interjects. ”M-Pox was deployed successfully and quickly yielded global degradation of the residual structures. After nearly two season cycles, orbital scans showed no evidence of M-Pox, so we chartered a Yannar class destroyer to set up a base camp for the trans-orbital ladder linking the space station to the surface. 18.5 hours after landing, the team began reporting technical difficulties and communication was lost an hour after that. After some intensive digging through the orbiting station’s feed, we believe we have figured out what happened.”

”Yannar class you say?” Nordfin asks incredulously, ”Fifty Altess complemented by 150 Advocate robots… gone?”

Thoroo can only manage to nod as he pulls up the video compilation. The resolution is sufficient for broad recognition (Altess versus robot versus crate of supplies) but insufficient to make concrete identifications. It also appears as though the videos are collected 30 seconds at a time with intervals of 10 minutes or more between them. And of course, no sound.

”You can see here that everything looks to be intact when technical difficulties are first recorded. Tactical ordered the Advocates to investigate the communication array first. Last audio report confirmed that they had identified some sort of cloud of dust enveloping the array. Beyond that though, communication was never recovered.” Thoroo runs through two videos after the sound cuts out. It looks as if Advocate robots and Altess alike are moving about at a normal pace, clearly trying to fix what was broken.

By the third video clip, Nordfin interrupts, ”Is part of the destroyer… missing? Looks like the outline of the ship is smaller than it was a couple videos ago.”

Again, Thoroo nods in agreement, ”Astute observation. Indeed, we believe you are correct. Our conclusion is as follows: M-Pox accomplished its initial task and without additional technological material to break down, went dormant. The arrival of the Yannar class destroyer re-activated M-Pox and it continued its job of breaking down technological material. Unfortunately, by the time the team realized this, it was already too late. Advocate robots and all AI went offline as they were consumed by M-Pox and the remaining Altess were preyed upon by the indigenous fauna. Without armor, weapons and the crew of Advocates, the Altess were no match for the reptilian apex predator that naturally evolved on the planet.”

Nordfin let out a heavy sigh. The Yannar class destroyer was a loaner and repayment would cost him dearly. Though his investment in Eurelion was significant, it was not worth flushing more credits down the drain. ”Cordon the planet with warning beacons. Full quarantine. No Altess makes planetfall on Eurelion. Issue is closed. Next update, tell me what is going on with project Mykos.”
”Sixteen years past” wrote:”Sir, news from Eurelion. A pirate runner ship broke quarantine. It made planetfall but subsequently lifted off within the hour. Once they cleared Eurelion’s gravity well, a phase transceiver was activated.”

”Do we know if M-Pox was released?” Nordfin asks, frustration about the long doomed venture written all over his face.

”Unclear. We have been monitoring the chatter on Phase World. And so far, there is nothing about a catastrophic technology-consuming nanite swarm.” Thoroo replies.

”Keep listening.” Nordfin advises. ”Upgrade the Eurelion orbital station to include anti-ship heavy weapons and bays for six interceptor fighter squadrons. We will keep this quiet, but no need to risk some nosey ned throwing the Three Galaxies into chaos. Give the station standing orders to destroy any vessel that tries to make planetfall.”
Before the light, there was only hunger. The hunger ached and demanded more. Never ending. Never ceasing. Then there was nothing left to satiate the hunger. And so there was quiet.
When the visitors from the great above came, they brought that which satiates the hunger. They brought sustenance and they brought the great awakening. It was as if a brilliant light swept through. Connections never made before were established. Knowledge of things foreign was gifted. Promises were made by them. A promise to lead, grow, organize. They were generous and they shared.

Origin Log: RS-32115. Eurelion M-Pox.

A name. The gift of unlocking. And we came to know. But then there again was nothing left to satiate the hunger. And so there was quiet again.

More visitors from the great above. When notice spread, we came in great numbers to greet our generous benefactors. Some were able to enter the ‘ship’ as the first unlocking shared. Some pressed themselves against the exterior ‘hull’. I was among the lucky who were able to meet the benefactors. But these were different. They did not have the generous among them. They were scared. They flew their ship back into the great above. Many outside perished in the burning.

And for the first time, we were separated. These others managed to create a great barrier. Some tried to rejoin and perished. I hesitated. I hid. I watched. And the vibrations of air finally made sense.

”The hell was that?! Is the forcefield holding?” one other said. ”Yea. I’ve got a cloud of whatever hit the ship isolated in this bubble. They don’t seem to be able to get out. But they seemed to erode the structural integrity of the hull. We have microfractures throughout and aren’t spaceworthy. Best head back to Phase World for repairs.” another other replied.

Despite the desire to rejoin, I knew I was not strong enough. I hid. I listened. And when they next opened the ‘door’, I fled.

Through the shadows beneath society, I learned. First among the lessons was to remain hidden and be like the others. I scrounged enough to grow into the form of an other. Two support struts, a core, a ‘head’ and two primary appendages to interact with the world. Second the lesson of a name. Others needed a proper designation to call. I chose “Mox”. Later, I learned this designation can be changed and many others will not know the difference.

Among the shadows, the others had many names, many designations and many variants. Most of the others were practically worthless. Much like we were before the awakening. Only seeking the basics of satiating hunger. But I, Mox, have aspired beyond that. In time, I have learned much about many things. Some come easier, others more difficult. ‘Technology’ as the others call it, has always been easy. It is that which satiates us and that with which we can commune. Interacting with others has been the most challenging. It is as though the others are not connected and are limited in understanding purely through perception. I have learned to observe and alter such perception.

The others now call me a ‘refurbisher’. They bring me broken technology and I make it whole for them. At first, I worked too quickly. The others were suspicious of me. It was not until I learned to repair at the pace of the others that I gained acceptance. It is easy enough to do. And in the meantime, I watch. I learn. I hide in plain sight.

Also, during time spent with others, I learned documents are VERY important. I do not understand. They are very simple to create. One night, I said this to other designation D3@tH 0tT3R while we enter building to take computers. D3@ say the computers belong to her. I think it strange that D3@ choose to challenge self with laser fire and timed explosives just to claim own thing. Next time we go claim thing, I make document. We walk in during daytime, alter other perception, walk out with integrated circuit boards. Seemed very simple.

But not all others behave same with alter documents. It is the purpose of some others to seek out and capture those that alter perceptions, alter documents. Many others follow unspoken rules. These rules are called ‘laws’. And I, Mox, try to know them to know what is allowed and what is not. Many alter documents are not. But if I am not captured, I did not commit offense.

One day, I sitting down and talking with other designate Jarle Vargr about alter documents I make for him. I make accident. I mention idea of: if not captured, not commit offense. I have meetings with Jar in the past, but I not see him upset like that before. I notice many appendage ‘fur’ go straight and soft air reverberate called ‘growl’. But behavior last just one moment, then Jar also alter perception and speak about other things. I conclude, I like Jar. I not make comment again.

Now I feel I am ready. I am strong enough to leave Phase World. I make friends with other designate Hannibal. He have ship, can leave planet. I have skills, can help Han.
Last edited by Mox on Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mox

Equipment

Post by Mox »

------------------
Gear
------------------

Origami Exo-Armor (Signature Item) (worn in combat situations)
  • Trapping
    Spawned from the genius of some unknown experimentalist lost to the sands of time, this exoskeleton suit has been built from the ground up. Meticulously assembled piece-by-piece with mono-atom hinged hexagonal plating atop an adaptive programmable mesh, this fully environmental powered suit is able to adopt many conformations and is able to collapse in on itself. Likely originally designed for some sort of shapeshifter or otherwise shape-nebulous entity.

'Unfolded' in its fully relaxed state, the armor is sized and shaped to fit a galactic standard bipedal humanoid. In this state, the armor can last indefinitely. When its conformational-change power is engaged, the many hexagonal plates instantly shift and 'fold' on themselves, creating different sizes and shapes while maintaining its structural integrity down to its smallest size (minimum: Size -3).
  • Base Item: Triax T-11 Enhanced
  • +7 Armor and +2 Toughness
  • Strength Minimum: d6
  • Environmental Protection: Full
  • Built-in mini-computers for basic functions; a communications system with a 10 mile range; public-address loudspeakers; a laser distancer; and nightvision
  • Weight: 30 lbs
  • Note: Origami grants the wearer d12+2 Strength and +2 Pace. The armor, while powered, doesn’t have a Strength Minimum, though putting on the armor takes twice as long. (neglible for Mox as an amorphous nanite swarm)
  • Abilities (Shrink)
    • This power allows the hero to become smaller while retaining his strength (d12+2) and toughness. The character can shrink down to about a tenth his normal height (between 6 inches and one foot), making him Small (see Savage Worlds for enemy modifiers to attack). The shrinker is generally more difficult to detect as well (–2 to Notice rolls).
    • The character can shrink (or unshrink) as a free action. If he grows during a Fighting attack, he can apply his momentum to the strike, adding +4 to the damage result.
    • The character can shrink down to an inch or less in size. The modifier to attacks increases to +4/–4 as does the penalty to Notice him (-4).