Prologue: The Professionals (Brandon, Renata, Tianshi)

Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Prologue: The Professionals (Brandon, Renata, Tianshi)

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Called. Chosen. Gifted.

Three professionals who have been on the front lines of a battle not seen since the Fall itself. Over the past three months Fallen have been preying on the streets of Los Angeles with near impunity. Such a close concentration of the disgraced beings is unusual. Their blatant activity levels unheard of.

Brandon felt the need to fight them deep within his being.

Tianshi was sent from her ancestral home to distant shores. Those with wisdom have felt a great uprising in the spirit world. Something malevolent was at play and her skills were urgently needed in America.

Renata has groped her way through the world of the Fallen since her first experiences. Eventually coming into contact with others who knew what they were and how to stop them. Driven by her need to help she hunts those who would hunt humanity.

Three months ago all three of these fateful hunts collided on the scene of the warehouse district. There they fought a Fallen who preyed on the homeless junkies in the area. It was horrid its malus in the form of a giant wolf-man. Even their combined might barely drove it off. Now they continue to hunt this particularly violent creature.

Interlude
Flashback to the first night you met fighting the wolf Fallen and tell it from your perspective.
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Tianshi

Re: Prologue: The Professionals (Brandon, Renata, Tianshi)

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi figured that when she had arrived in LAX that she would have to meet with Hanekama's former student in order to figure out what was going on in town. Not the case however.

She exited the terminals and found herself on the streets of LA in quick fashion. It would seem that the airport was pretty nuetral territory and that the Fallen had yet to occupy it. But the streets of LA were something else entirely. She felt the swell of darkness once she was clear of the airport proprty.

The Fallen were everywhere and their putrid smell and corrupted essence could be felt everywhere. Wow. This place really does have problems.

She really did not even need to use her power (Know The Past) to be able to read the marks and trappings of the Fallen. It appeared in the street art. They were tangled in the graffitti in the underpass. Trees and buildings were also similarly marked.

Pausing in an overgrown and vacant lot, Tianshi decided to focus on the biggest problem. Start big and disrupt the smaller or disperse them. She begin with kattas in the weeds. These were followed by her sword that looked like a bamboo branch, whipping out and slicing at the tall grass. The sword returned to its scabbard. She finished her search with a variety of sword swings, thrusts, and cuts, that left the vacant lot looking like a mower had come through. The grass was six inches from the ground and the entire lot looked like it just been trimmed.

Her exercises complete, Tianshi's breath was heavy and labored but controlled. She was now focused. Anchisukiru, the Watchman was first to be seen. Details would be received there. Then to tackle the pervasive Fallen problem in the City of Angels.

@Venatus Vinco - Anchisukiru, the Watchman. This is Tainshi's contact in Los Angeles.
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

"C'mon man, I was just talking to Paulie. If you're gonna feed me a line, at least gimme something new."

Renata stared at Jack, arms folded and an irritated expression stamped onto her face. In theory there was an art to dealing with informants...a kind of push and pull, carrot and stick approach that gave best results. She couldn't say. She'd always been more of a 'stick' kind of girl. Carrots were for salads.

Jack was a dealer. Not any kind of big time thing, he lurked around the local shelters. Often as not he stayed in 'em too...he spent about as much money on his own habits as he made. His clientele weren't big spenders, after all.

Right now he glared sullenly at Renata, licking his lips and glancing from side to side. She could tell he was gauging his chances for making a break for it, but not liking the odds at the moment. He was good in a sprint, Jack, but Renata could run him down...and they both knew it.

"Paulie? Paulie doesn't know shit. Between you and me, he's like...one or two pipes away from his 'jobless retirement plan,' you know?"

She shook her head. "He said he was buying from you last night, over behind the old drive-through." Jack started shuffling slowly away, eyes never leaving Renata as she went on. She followed at the same pace. "Said he heard something from that way a little while after he left. Did you hear it, Jack?"

Jack was sweating a little. LA could have some pretty warm nights, but not that warm. Not now. He shook his head. "Nah, it was...normal night, all clear..."

He didn't have time to finish before Renata had closed the gap, grabbed the filthy lapel of his jacket and shoved up up against the wall. Pinned there, Jack squirmed, but not TOO much. She wasn't a superhero or anything dumb like that...it wasn't sheer physical might that held him there. It was just...there was a kind of threat that emanated from her. An almost tangible anger that felt like it had a strength all its own. Looking at her when she was mad was worse than just fearing she was going to do violence to you. It was...a feeling she'd be right to do it. That you deserved it. Your reflection in her eyes was an ugly, misshapen thing that you never wanted to see again.

"A scream," Renata said icily. "And something else. You heard it. Which direction?"

Jack shook his head, clenching his eyes shut. "I didn't hear nothing, I didn't hear..."

"A woman DIED, Jack!" she shouted into his face. "It looked like a pack of wild DOGS got her. But it wasn't a pack, Jack. It was just one. And you heard it. TELL ME!"

He opened his eyes to protest, and for a second accidentally met her gaze. He wheezed, and then reached up to press the heels of his hands to his eyes.

"It was...towards the east side. Like...a howl. Like some kinda fucked up wolf. Maybe three blocks away, I don't know because I RAN, okay?!" He rubbed hard, trying to keep his composure but it wasn't working. Tears were flowing and his voice was catching. "You hear that, you'll run too!"

The hand holding Jack against the wall released him. When he dared uncover his eyes, Renata was already walking away, looking in the pockets of her black leather jacket for the keys to her bike. "Yeah. Towards it. Take care of yourself, Jack. Like you do."

It was several minutes before Jack had it together enough to move...and then he did so with alacrity, just in case she'd called cops or something before driving off. This city, he thought as he navigated the unlit alleys and backlots, this goddamn city. Maybe time for a change of pace. San Diego or something.
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Brandon awoke from his nap to the sound of dogs barking, somehow fully alert he stretched and rose from the chair he had been napping in. Heading into the kitchen he made himself some fresh coffee and tidied up the dishes while he waited. Amber let him sleep in the chair, but she always preferred he would just go to bed, claimed it was better sleep.

When the urge to head out came Brandon knew it was important. "I will be a while hun, it is calling." He says as he gives her a kiss heading out. He had decided a long time ago not to hide it from her. Everything just went easier when everyone knew what was going on.

Grabbing his wallet, keys, and gear bag Brandon headed out. As usual last week he felt the need to load some special shot, likely for tonight. Expensive too, cost a few hundred dollars for the poor, now he need that special shot do he made sure it was in his bag as well. He did not know where he was going, but he did not need to really. All he needed do was go. The drive through town took about 40 minutes when he pulled up to a strange sight. The girl was either the slowest lawn care worker he had even known or she was doing some sort of martial arts thing.

Stopping the truck Brandon waited for the kid to finish. However when she did he was surprised, that was an adult. Getting out of the truck he headed towards the woman and nodded. "Hello, names Meyers, looks like we are going to work together for a while."

Offering his hand to shake he stops about 10' from the lady, letting her be in control of closing. "Any chance you know what we are hunting? I normally find out later than everyone else."

Of late Brandon had been real busy. The variety of things he was sent to fight had been increasing. From corpses that died when he healed them to a water thing that was drowning students. Brandon missed the days when it was simple.

@Tianshi
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d10
Skills: Athletics: d6, Common Knowledge: d6, Driving: d6, Fighting: d6, Focus: d8, Notice: d6, Occult: d6, Persuasion: d8, Shooting: d6, Stealth: d4
Pace: 6, Parry: 5, Toughness: 7
Hindrances: Code of Honor, Obligation (major, Brandon must follow the urges to do what is needed.)
Edges: Arcane Background, Brave, New Powers, Touched
Weapons: Unarmed (Natural Attack, Str)
Wealth: $500
Language: Native Language (Native)
Arcane Background: Gifted (SWADE p148)
Total Powers: 1
Power Points: 15 / 15
Powers: Someone Protects Me (Deflection; Range: Self; SWADE p157-158), We Must Go on (Healing; SWADE p162), We Can Go On (Relief; SWADE p166)
Special Abilities
Adaptable: Humans begin play with any Novice Edge of their choosing. They must meet its Requirements as usual.
Unarmored Hero: Since your character has chosen not to wear any armor (ignoring shields), add +2 bonus to your Soak rolls.
Advancements
Raise Attribute: Vigor
Edge: Brave
Edge: New Powers

Special notes
Books In Use: Savage Worlds: Adventure Edition
Setting Rules: Unarmored Hero, Born a Hero
Setting Skill Points: 15
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Renata & Ken
Sitting in his dorm room Ken receives an inexplicable urge to go to Lowe's and buy a bike tire. Right down to the size. Knowing better than to ignore his visions the student-turned-oracle goes and buys the bike tire. At the check out he sees a sign for a drive thru place in the warehouse district. Not a wonderful part of town but the food looked good...five city buses later, bike tire in hand Ken is walking to the fast food joint frequneted by junkies and hookers.

After shaking down her contact Jack, Renata returns to her bike rack only to find one of her tires missing. Who steals one freaking tire?

Then, as if by providence, she recongizes a guy form one of her classes strolling down the sidewalk with a bike tire in his hand.

Brandon and Tianshi
The Watcher appeared only briefly to Tianshi, handing her a folded newspaper. The newspaper was opened to an article about a series of brutal deaths in the warehouse district. Witnesses say it looks and sounds like animal attacks, but no one has seen any sign of wild animals so deep into the city. Before she can ask any questions the Watcher gives a subtle nod to a vehicle pulling into her abandoned lot and then disappears from sight. Immediately, a man exits the vehicle approaching her and introducing himself (this is Brandon).

ooc: Brandon, in case Sarge is not available, you can see the newspaper she is holding and are familiar with the area and the news reports.
Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Venatus Vinco wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:23 pm Brandon and Tianshi
The Watcher appeared only briefly to Tianshi, handing her a folded newspaper. The newspaper was opened to an article about a series of brutal deaths in the warehouse district. Witnesses say it looks and sounds like animal attacks, but no one has seen any sign of wild animals so deep into the city. Before she can ask any questions the Watcher gives a subtle nod to a vehicle pulling into her abandoned lot and then disappears from sight. Immediately, a man exits the vehicle approaching her and introducing himself (this is Brandon).

ooc: Brandon, in case Sarge is not available, you can see the newspaper she is holding and are familiar with the area and the news reports.
Tianshi looks down at the paper, hoping her English is good enough to read the American newspaper.

Just as she is glancing at the suspicion of animals, @Meyers Brandon arrives.

"Ah American. You no hear about animal large?" She points to the paper and the specific article.

She does her best to understand the contents of the article but is confused on street location and landmarks (-2 Common Knowledge for LA).
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Ken curses under his breath when he sees Renata staring at her one wheeled bicycle. He spins around and takes a couple steps away from his classmate before turning back around.

"Dangit Renata!" Ken says, exasperated, but clearly not actually upset with her. "I was really hoping it was just going to be a nun with a flat or something this time..." Ken drops the tire at the girls feet and leans against the bike rack. "We've got midterms next week and O-chem has been kicking my ass. If we're getting paired together, there's no way I'm going to have enough time to study..." Ken trails off, realizing how juvenile what he was about to say sounded. But it was true. His mom was going to kill him if he got another B.

He takes a deep breath and lets it out, letting go of what he doesn't have control of. He wasn't willing to admit it, but living a life at the whim of supernatural entities beyond your comprehension was oddly liberating.

"So what it is this time? Can't be too bad if it's just the two of us right?"
Ken Lang
Details
Bennies: 3/3

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
PP: 15/15
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2) +4 vs Ballistics

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Touched: Reroll opposed vs Fallen
Reliable: +2 to support rolls
Holy Warrior: Spend PP for Bonus to soak, 1:1 ratio

Notable Hindrances:
Yellow: -2 to fear checks

Update Signature
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Tianshi wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:59 pm Tianshi looks down at the paper, hoping her English is good enough to read the American newspaper.

Just as she is glancing at the suspicion of animals, @Meyers Brandon arrives.

"Ah American. You no hear about animal large?" She points to the paper and the specific article.

She does her best to understand the contents of the article but is confused on street location and landmarks (-2 Common Knowledge for LA).
Glimpsing the paper and then having it pointed out to him Meyers smiles. Pulling his empty hand back he is not offended that the obvious foreign woman did not shake his hand. "Sure, I know the area and heard of the attacks. I guess we are here to stop this.

"Lets see if we can find some answers. Do you have a ride? if not jump in and we can head there together."
Once they are in Meyers drives a bit to get where they are needed. Knowing the streets was easy. But once there he will need ot ask some questions and nothing helps asking questions like having some spare food available. Stepping into a bodega Meyers grabs some sandwiches, bags of chips, and some soda. "We will need these."

Then he hits the streets asking eople what they have heard or seen. When they are willing to take them he offers food and soda to those willing to talk to him, even those not able to help him.
If Applicable Networking roll
Perhaps a +1 for having food?

Persuasion [dice:1shynn1g]56733:0[/dice:1shynn1g]
Wild Die [dice:1shynn1g]56733:1[/dice:1shynn1g]
  • If applicable benny to reroll (I will mark it off once confirmed by GM as applicable)
    Persuasion [dice:1shynn1g]56733:2[/dice:1shynn1g]
    Wild Die [dice:1shynn1g]56733:3[/dice:1shynn1g]
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Skills: Athletics: d6, Common Knowledge: d6, Driving: d6, Fighting: d6, Focus: d8, Notice: d6, Occult: d6, Persuasion: d8, Shooting: d6, Stealth: d4
Hindrances: Code of Honor, Obligation (major, Brandon must follow the urges to do what is needed.)
Powers: Someone Protects Me (Deflection; Range: Self; SWADE p157-158), We Must Go on (Healing; SWADE p162), We Can Go On (Relief; SWADE p166)
Special Abilities
Adaptable: Humans begin play with any Novice Edge of their choosing. They must meet its Requirements as usual.
Unarmored Hero: Since your character has chosen not to wear any armor (ignoring shields), add +2 bonus to your Soak rolls.
Advancements

Special notes
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi is not haughty and she recognizes the plight of the destitute and the homeless. Those without hope.

@Brandon Meyers "Me Tee N Shee." pointing to herself, she repeats, "Tee N Shee."

"No Feed People. They are food."

As she says this, she has a moment of inspiration. He brings hope and light.

This last thought leaves her considering how best to aid Meyers.
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

"Okay, Jesus, slow your roll," Renata returned irately to Ken, even as she stooped over to grab the bike tire. She held it up and shook it at him.

"Don't get all pissy with me because the crazy in your head tells you to do this, alright? I never called you, never so much as bummed bus fare off of you. I mean...thanks for the tire, but you can keep the attitude."

The bike, fortunately, had the kind of quick-release construction that made replacing a wheel easy, and she got started on that even as she went on.

"And, since you asked, yeah. It's bad. Bad when it was just me...bad when it's two of us. How bad...I dunno exactly. But it's big enough and strong enough to literally pull a body apart. And...it...apparently is motivated to do that sometimes."

She stood up and gave the wheel a spin. It clicked smoothly as it went, slowing down only slightly over time.

"I don't suppose you brought a car, did you? Bike's not really built for two."
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Tianshi wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 pm Tianshi is not haughty and she recognizes the plight of the destitute and the homeless. Those without hope.

@Brandon Meyers "Me Tee N Shee." pointing to herself, she repeats, "Tee N Shee."
"Pleasure to meet you Tianshi. Most people call me Meyers, or Brandon, so either works."

Tianshi wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:27 pm "No Feed People. They are food."
When Tianshi suggest not feeding people in need it slows Brandon a little as he looks at her. "No, there are things that must need done, even if not practical." Taking a breath he looks around.
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Renata Hodges wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm
"And, since you asked, yeah. It's bad. Bad when it was just me...bad when it's two of us. How bad...I dunno exactly. But it's big enough and strong enough to literally pull a body apart. And...it...apparently is motivated to do that sometimes."
Kevin noticeably pales at the thought a body being pulled in two. While Kevin had gotten used to angel's and visions and the other mystical mumbo jumbo that he'd been exposed to since his visit by Castiel, the violence that goes along with these fallen angels still terrifies him.
Renata Hodges wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:34 pm "I don't suppose you brought a car, did you? Bike's not really built for two."
"Psh, at the University's rates for parking?" Ken says incredulously. He pulls the bus pass from his pocket, holding it up for Renata to see, "The busses have bike racks through. I'll cover the fare. Where are we going? Got enough info to know what you are looking for on the internet yet, or do you need to" Ken pauses for a second "...interview a few more people?"
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

"Not gonna lie, there will probably be another interview or two," Renata said. She shook her head at the offer of bus fare though.

"Don't need a bus just yet. We're only going a few blocks from here. Had some folks, dealers and a couple of users, out here the other night who heard a howl off that way. One of them said he saw it...like a big wolf-head guy...but he was using at the time so..." She shrugs at that.

"Anyway, most of the attacks are in the neighborhood...but it's a pretty big neighborhood, and the attacks aren't being reported as murders. They're thinking it's a rabid bear or something."

Renata scoffs and hauls her bike around so she can walk it down the street towards the east.

"C'mon. Bring your silver bullets?"
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi only nods at @Brandon Meyers when he stresses the need to feed the people. When he isn't looking she practices his last name at least, trying to form the sounds and such with her tongue.

"The creature feeds but leaves nothing. Mi - Urz, it is nearby."

Tianshi helps with feeding and attending to the homeless and the strung out. Everychance she gets she tries to share hope and peace, even in her broken English and heavy Japanese accent.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Working the Streets
Brandon and Tianshi make an odd pair, handing out food and asking questions about the attack. Most people are tight lipped, except when they open their mouths to devour the free food, but one guy does let on that people are avoiding the meat packing warehouse nearby, "Used to be a good place to squat cause not one works there at night, but folks are getting attacked there so we stay away."

It doesn't take Renata and Ken long to find out that some do-gooders are giving out food and asking about animal attacks not far from the meat packing warehouse nearby. The two college students wheel their way and spot a middle aged man and a Japanese geisha worker talking to some homeless. It isn't unusual for old guys to score tricks around here but as call girls go she looks a little high class for this area.
Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi stands among the homeless, certainly odd but completely at peace in her current labors. She works with Meyers, making the most of the moment but certainly searching for information and leads in her own way.

Detect Arcana 9 _
PPE 2 (8 remaining)
[*] Faith (1d8) [dice:24enitjj]56998:2[/dice:24enitjj]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:24enitjj]56998:3[/dice:24enitjj]
[*] Aced! Wild (1d6+6) [dice:24enitjj]56998:0[/dice:24enitjj]
Her senses guide her to the "new" comers. Tapping @Brandon Meyers on the arm, she discreetly points to the new arrivals. She also waits for Meyers to inform her of the details found through his efforts, as her English is not so good.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Ken get more an more anxious the further east they walk. He glances side to side, taking in the run down streets and boarded up windows.

"Remind me what we are looking for? This isn't exactly top of the list for police response time, but I'm pretty sure they would have cleared up any dismembered bodies by now." Ken swivels his head and catches sight of the well dressed Japanese woman pointing toward him an Renata. Knowing they belong in this part of town even less than him and Renata, he reaches back for his kamas.

"Hey Renata...." He says, nervousness clear in his voice. When he has her attention he nods toward the unusual couple, hands still on his blades tucked into their sheaths.
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Meyers nods in affirmation when @Tianshi poits to the new comer. "Only a couple sandwiches left to hand out then we can head to the warehouse." When the new person stops and it becomes obvious they are looking for trouble Meyers walks over to introduce himself to @Ken Lang.

"Are you here to help?" He asks unconcerned about the danger of walking up to a wealthy looking car in the area. "We need to go clean out that warehouse. My name is Brandon."
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

"Jesus, how should I know?" Renata asked Ken irritably. "People just said they saw 'something' or heard 'something' from over here. We're going to have to look around, maybe find clues or...or witnesses..."

She paused when Ken pointed out the other two people.The other two people that were very pointedly watching her and Ken. Very specifically.

Shit.

Renata closed her eyes and tried to still her thoughts. The monsters, the demons...the Fallen...made a kind of noise, had a kind of smell. It wasn't clear to her exactly how it worked, but she could tell when they were around. Usually.

Detect Arcana [dice:1dn6auoj]57013:0[/dice:1dn6auoj] or [dice:1dn6auoj]57013:1[/dice:1dn6auoj]
Ace [dice:1dn6auoj]57013:2[/dice:1dn6auoj]

Two things were immediately clear, even breathtakingly so. First, and most importantly, they were clean. Maybe TOO clean. There was something weird about them; a kind of feeling of 'rightness' where the Fallen were 'wrong.' She wasn't sure what to make of that.

Second, the cute asian girl was doing something. Her eyes felt strange to Renata. Like they were 'pulling' on her and Ken somehow.

She opened her eyes.

"This is a dangerous spot to wait around in," Renata said as the guy came over. "Who are you two? I mean, yeah okay, Brandon...but who?"
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Renata Hodges wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am "This is a dangerous spot to wait around in," Renata said as the guy came over. "Who are you two? I mean, yeah okay, Brandon...but who?"
"We are just here to kill the fallen that haunt the warehouse. When you where pointed out by @Tianshi I thought you where here to help. We could play games, and drag out these introductions. But the monster in there needs stopped before it hurts more people. So let's make this happen." Meyers did not always know what was going on. But he had seen these three in his sleep and knew they where ones he was to work with. "The monster needed stopping and perhaps the four of us can do it. If not, maybe our deaths can perhaps buy time for others to be sent to help."
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

Renata held up her hands, palms out. "I am here because I've been tracking the son of a bitch for the last few days." She pointed at Ken, "He hitched a ride at the last minute and helped fix my bike. You now? You I don't know."

She scowled and looked at the warehouse.

"It's in there, huh? All right. Lets take this thing down. Then we can get acquainted with whoever makes it out."

Returning her gaze to Brandon she asked, "You know anything about this thing? All I know is that it's big, strong, and people say it looks and sounds like a demon-wolf."
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

"No, I know little of it. Only that I was needed here. Sometimes I am sent to help people and there are no demons present. Other times like this, I am sent and there is an active Fallen. What I do know is we are the ones needed."
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi is piecing things together but slowly.

She grabs @Brandon Meyers right arm and points to the warehouse. "In there!"

"We go now!" Tianshi waves her free arm to include @Renata Hodges and @Ken Lang. Not certain what to make of the two newcomers, "They die to feed it?"
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Tianshi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 pm "They die to feed it?"
"Perhaps them, perhaps us. But it is my job to try and make sure none of us. I will do my best to ensure we all make it out of here alive."
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Brandon Meyers wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Tianshi wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 pm "They die to feed it?"
"Perhaps them, perhaps us. But it is my job to try and make sure none of us. I will do my best to ensure we all make it out of here alive."
The word "alive" Tianshi recognizes, though the context it was used in, she is uncertain. Stepping back several feet into an empty street filled with cardboard boxes, refuse, and large metal trash bins, Tianshi for the second time today prepares herself.

She lays her sword on the ground as she kneels. Placing the hilt near her knees and the blade pointing away, she stands. The others watching would think she was either dancing or going through some sort of martial arts warm up.

Bless Qi Xing Long Yuan
[*] Faith (1d8) [dice:2wb51vwb]57040:2[/dice:2wb51vwb]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:2wb51vwb]57040:1[/dice:2wb51vwb]
Imparting a little more divinity into the blade which hums as the power ritual completes, Tianshi finishes by sheething the sword. Looking to @Brandon Meyers, "We go now?"
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Ken steps bewteen the two newcomers and the pitch black entrance they seem so keen on walking through.

"Woah there God-man and ESL...Let's think this through. You didnt hear it earlier but Renata said this thing literally tear's people in half"" Ken says that last part slowly, with animated gestures to emphasize his point. "And you just want to walk into its lair? That sounds like suicide to me. Lets cool our jets and think about this. God helps them who helps themselves right...I'm pretty sure that's a scripture..." Ken smile conciliatory.

"Wouldn't it be smarter to try and set some kind of trap...make this thing come to us instead of taking it on in it's home turf? Something to give us a bit of an advantage?" Ken looks back at the dark entrance to the warehouse and takes a gulp. Hopefully something he said made it through because he does not want to go in there...
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Ken Lang wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:47 pm Ken steps bewteen the two newcomers and the pitch black entrance they seem so keen on walking through.

"Woah there God-man and ESL...Let's think this through. You didnt hear it earlier but Renata said this thing literally tear's people in half"" Ken says that last part slowly, with animated gestures to emphasize his point. "And you just want to walk into its lair? That sounds like suicide to me. Lets cool our jets and think about this. God helps them who helps themselves right...I'm pretty sure that's a scripture..." Ken smile conciliatory.

"Wouldn't it be smarter to try and set some kind of trap...make this thing come to us instead of taking it on in it's home turf? Something to give us a bit of an advantage?" Ken looks back at the dark entrance to the warehouse and takes a gulp. Hopefully something he said made it through because he does not want to go in there...
Tianshi reaches out and touches @Ken Lang on the chest, "Trap Good. You. Her." @Renata Hodges "Food." Tianshi waves her hand towards the darkened entry way, as if to shoo them inside.
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

"Nope!" Ken says, backing up and waving his hands in front of him. "No way, absolutely not. It may not always seem like it but I actually like living." Ken turns around and starts walking away.

He raises his hand without looking back. "Good luck killing the demon monster thing! If there's enough of you left I'll see you guys at the funeral"

Ken walks about 15 steps before he feels the that unusual compulsion he's gotten ever since Castiel's visit. He can resist it for a while if he wants. But he knows it will just get harder and harder, taking more an more of his focus until he can barely function without auto-piloting on whatever course the compulsion is taking him. His steps slow over the next few paces until he has stopped complete, his back still turned to the others. He lets out a long sigh.

"Jesus Christ..." he mutters then, as he often does now, looks up and adds a soft "Sorry".

He spins around, face a mix of resignation and swallowed terror and says "So how exactly would this trap work?"
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Ken Lang wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:39 am He spins around, face a mix of resignation and swallowed terror and says "So how exactly would this trap work?"
"Prepare first. You have weapon?"

Tianshi shows @Ken Lang her True Relic Sword. "I make better."

Tianshi motions to @Renata Hodges and @Brandon Meyers, "We have time. I make all better."
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Brandon reaches behind the seat of the truck and removes a shotgun and a sword. "Does it matter which is used? I do not know your traditions or how these things work for you." Then handing her over which ever she says she can help he waits for her to do what she must. While he prefers the distance an security of a shot gun, he knows that sometimes things need to get close to conclude.
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Meat Locker
As Tianshi blesses everyone's weapons a weird sacred moment occurs starkly juxtaposed against the trashy streets and lowly people. Nonetheless, the group has their weapons blessed, meaning they might not totally be annihilated if they encounter a Fallen in the meat packing plant (Blessed weapons do +4 damage against the Fallen in malum form).

Approaching the plant makes a few things obvious. Firstly, the place is totally abandoned. No cars in the parking lot. Chains on all the doors, and the windows are boarded up. Getting in quietly will take some skill. Getting in noisily will take some fire power.

Despite the lack of activity the hum of refrigeration units can be heard through the windows. The plant is still operational and someone is paying to keep the power on. Although it begs the question, if they aren't storing meat in there, what is it?
Signature
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Zacharias's Curse - 17
Silence
Faith [dice:2bux8o73]57587:0[/dice:2bux8o73]
Wild [dice:2bux8o73]57587:1[/dice:2bux8o73]
Ace! [dice:2bux8o73]57587:2[/dice:2bux8o73]
Ace!! [dice:2bux8o73]57587:3[/dice:2bux8o73]
Ken keeps his head on a nervous swivel as the group approaches the abandoned packing plant. He takes in the chained doors with a resigned pessimism

"You'd think with connections to angels things would be easy every once and a while... Kevin complains, mostly to himself.

He turns to the newly assembled motley crew of demon fighters, "If someone can come up with a way to break these chains or open these windows, I can make sure nothing on the inside hears whatever racket you make doing it"

If someone from the group makes toward a window or door, Ken closes his eyes and mutters something that few would call a prayer "Alright Castiel, if you can hear me we need some help. Please keep the noise of our breaking in to the plant to a minimum."

While the others go to town on the entrance, Ken reflects on the irony that the prayer that gets answered by a celestial being is one to assist a break in...
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Looking at the chains Brandon thinks. "I have something we could cut them with in the truck. But it will be noisy and take a while, at least 30 or 40 seconds with a 4" grinder. I also have a crowbar in my truck." Looking at the anchor points Brandon tries to see if the screws look anchored well, then looking at the joints of the door he likewise sees how well anchored it is.

OOC Comments
As a carpenter he has ung a hundred doors or more. Perhaps Repair will reveal if lazy craftsmanship was used he can pry on and take advantage of? If that is not your play style I am okay with it also.

Repair [dice:2aaj7546]57590:0[/dice:2aaj7546] Ace [dice:2aaj7546]57590:2[/dice:2aaj7546]
Wild [dice:2aaj7546]57590:1[/dice:2aaj7546]
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

Renata dropped her backpack to the pavement and unzipped it. Her monster-hunting 'go-bag' had a somewhat disappointing trove within it...some rope, a good quality butene lighter, and...a crowbar. She scooped the utensil up out of the pack and slung it over her shoulder by one of the straps again.

"Got it covered. Someone help me with this."

She wedged the length of carbon-stiffened steel through the chain, moved it around to get better leverage, then braced herself to start pulling...as soon as someone brawny also came over to help.

Strength to support a strongman!
Strength [dice:2l95ixy5]57613:0[/dice:2l95ixy5] or [dice:2l95ixy5]57613:1[/dice:2l95ixy5]
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

With the protection of the silence provided by @Ken Lang Brandon sets to work opening the door. Using the pry-bar he pulls it back as tight as possible, asking @Renata Hodges to hold it tight while he then uses his shot gun on the locks attachment to the door.

10 Damage to Door Lock, should open it based open breaking things?
Shooting [dice:fqmduv6r]57625:0[/dice:fqmduv6r]
Wild [dice:fqmduv6r]57625:1[/dice:fqmduv6r]

Damage [dice:fqmduv6r]57625:2[/dice:fqmduv6r]
Potential Bonus from Repair roll and use of tools by GM fiat

Once the door is open Brandon takes the time to reload a replacement for the expended shell and puts the shotgun back into it holster and re-slings it on his back. Holding his sword ready as he enters.
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

The brash, broad daylight, caper continues as Ken managers to silence the entire area while Brandon uses his universal lock opener to blow open the door of the warehouse. As soon as the door opens the group is met with a rush of cool refrigerated air and the small of butchered meat, most likely beef - but who knows for sure.

Peering in reveals very little as the warehouse is dark and most of the windows are boarded up. Although the electricity is obviously powering the coolers, all the lights are off and the place is devoid of activity. It appears no one is home.
Dim
-2 Lighting penalty inside the warehouse
Signature
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

As the chill hits him Brandon's mouth moves while no sound comes out. Grabbing up the casing he just fired he tosses it in his truck and loads a new one from his pocket. The Brandon turns back and heads for his truck again, this time grabbing the two magnesium road flares normally kept for an emergency.

The heading in he is cautious knowing there could be both innocent hostages and monstrous demons in the warehouse.

OOC Comments
Notice [dice:5n9doaql]57989:0[/dice:5n9doaql] Ace [dice:5n9doaql]57989:2[/dice:5n9doaql]
Wild [dice:5n9doaql]57989:1[/dice:5n9doaql]
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

Stealth 4
Stealth [dice:2mvxswg8]58096:0[/dice:2mvxswg8]
Wild [dice:2mvxswg8]58096:1[/dice:2mvxswg8]
Even without the sound of the shot, Ken flinches as the shotgun round blasts apart the lock of the door. Ken gets the shivers as he looks into the darkness of the packing plant, and very little of it comes from the rush of chilled air.

Ken looks at the others and starts to speak, only to find that his efforts to do so are muted by his previously invoked blessing. He exaggeratedly rolls his eyes and waits until everyone walks a few additional feet into the building. Then, as quietly as he can, he whispers.

"If we are hoping to surprise this thing, I guess we leave the lights off? But if we are more worried about getting surprised, it would probably be better to find the light switch. What do you think?"

Ken stops after the first couple of feet, making sure that he keeps himself between the others. If something does surprise them, he's the least likely one to be able to do anything about it...

That's not cowardice...it's just good sense Ken tells himself, as he carefully plants his feet and avoids brushing into anything.
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Looking at @Ken Lang and nodding Meyer's answers. "Most of the foulness out there belong to the dark. The only ones restrained by it will be us. I suggest lights, that is why I grabbed the flares from the truck. They light fast, are impossible to put out, and will give illumination we will need."
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi stands in the doorway, unsure of how to proceed. She can sense that there are Fallen here but can not pinpoint anything specific.

After a moment she decides to step forward into the darkness, trusting her other abilities to warn her of danger.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

The group enters the darkened building, the only light streaming in from the doorway behind them. The place is cold, very cold. In the dim shadows they can see meat packing and butchering equipment - giant saws, slicers, meat grinders, etc. What they assume are cattle carcasses hang from hooks designed to move along a ceiling track - like shirts at a dry cleaners.

Cool air and the sound of refrigeration units suggest the power is on. It's just a matter of finding a light switch.
Notice to find the light switches
Dim lighting -2 illumination penalty. Can be offset by lighting a flare.
Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Once Tianshi is inside she decides to follow the suggestions of Brandon and Ken and find a light switch.

Notice 3 _
Scene Modifier: Dim -2
[*] Notice (1d6) [dice:xjsrbjfu]58187:2[/dice:xjsrbjfu]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:xjsrbjfu]58187:1[/dice:xjsrbjfu]
Americans' don't build buildings like the Japanese do.

Not finding a lightswitch she does decide to investigate the nearest machine that she can hear humming with power.
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

Renata groped at the wall as she entered, not sure if warehouses or factories or whatever this kind of building was generally had them installed in the same places houses did. Seemed like they ought to have something there for the morning crew, right? Maybe they weren't supposed to come in this door though...

"I have a flashlight," she offered, but before she light a huge beacon on herself, she decided to try something else. Renata closed her eyes and felt inside herself for that feeling, that smell, that sensation she had. Was it here? Was it near? Was it moving?

Rolls: Notice 3, Detect Arcana 5
Notice: [dice:fh45uby2]58221:0[/dice:fh45uby2] or [dice:fh45uby2]58221:1[/dice:fh45uby2]
Focus to Detect Arcana: [dice:fh45uby2]58221:2[/dice:fh45uby2] or [dice:fh45uby2]58221:3[/dice:fh45uby2]
Ken Lang

Post by Ken Lang »

support roll 11, +2 to Renata's notice

Common knowledge [dice:3i28mwwc]58235:0[/dice:3i28mwwc]
Ace [dice:3i28mwwc]58235:2[/dice:3i28mwwc]
Wild [dice:3i28mwwc]58235:1[/dice:3i28mwwc]
Ken can't being himself to focus on the walls long enough to search for a light switch. He is too unwilling to take his eyes off the shadows that surround them. Every creak of machinery draws his attention, and every flickering of light in the corner of his eye is something sneaking up on him.

He does notice Renata struggling to find something to power he lights though. He had worked a couple of summer jobs in factories with floors like this and whispers as quietly as he can and still be heard.

"You are probably looking for a push button on a box, or maybe a larger control panel with a big throw switch. Think Frankenstein's monster. In fact, if you look at the lights, you can probably trace the conduit to the box."

When the lights come on, Ken relaxes just a bit. He keeps his commas in his hand, but his heart stops pounding quite as hard.

Ken racks his brain trying to think of some kind of trap they could spring, but comes up empty.

"I've seen enough episodes of Scooby Doo to know that splitting up is a crap idea...anyone got an idea for a trap or are we just going from room to room looking for this thing?"
Ken Lang
Details

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tianshi

Post by Tianshi »

Tianshi turns and looks at @Ken Lang, motioning to her heart and then her head, she holds her arms out and says in Japanese "Feel for the Evil."

Turning back around, she kneels and meditates.

Faith 22 _
Detect Arcana
PPE 2, (8 of 10 remaining)
[*] Faith (1d8) [dice:7u1hejz0]58242:0[/dice:7u1hejz0]
[*] Aced! Faith (1d8+8) [dice:7u1hejz0]58242:2[/dice:7u1hejz0]
[*] Super Aced! Faith (1d8+16) [dice:7u1hejz0]58242:3[/dice:7u1hejz0]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:7u1hejz0]58242:1[/dice:7u1hejz0]
@Venatus Vinco Tianshi closes her eyes and shuts of all her other senses to feel where the wrongness is in the building.
Brandon Meyers

Post by Brandon Meyers »

Brandon Lights the flare and tosses it into the middle of the room, shedding light as much as possible. His eyes scan around the room looking for the breakers to turn on the lights.

When he sees the switches are regular household looking switches he is a little surprised and figures that must have been what slowed the others from finding them. As the light fills the area he goes over and collects the flare. once lit he cannot put it out, as even submersion in freezing water would not slow the magnesium from burning. But in the events to lights go out again it would be good to have the flare near their location.

OOC Comments
Notice [dice:2ve6r6je]58274:0[/dice:2ve6r6je]
Wild [dice:2ve6r6je]58274:1[/dice:2ve6r6je]
Brandon Meyers (Rob T)
Special Abilities
Advancements

Special notes

Return to “Chronicles”