Elemental Shuriken

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Elemental Shuriken

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Rifts Japan pg 37, total cost 245500

A set of five shuriken’s each one representing an element: Air, Fire, Water, Earth, Wood.

Air Shuriken(enchanted item): 45100 creds
Base item: Deadlands Reloaded Shuriken, str +1, 3/6/12, .5lb RoF 1. Cost 100 creds(includes the typicall x10 setting conversion)
[*](Minor): AirTrapping (maybe increase the range thrown by +1 per increment. 4/8/16
[*](Major): Returning, essentially a quick draw edge.
[*](Major): Lightining Bolt power includes 10ppe.

Fire Shuriken(enchanted item): 65100 creds
Base item: Deadlands Reloaded Shuriken, str +1, 3/6/12, .5lb RoF 1. Cost 100 creds(includes the typicall x10 setting conversion)
[*](Minor): Fire Trapping
[*](Major): Fire Ball Blast power includes 10ppe.

Water Shuriken(enchanted item): 45100 creds
[*](Minor): Water Trapping (can be thrown underwater)
[*](Major): Heal Power

Earth Shuriken(enchanted item): 45100 creds
[*](Minor): Earth Trapping
[*](Major): Invulnerability Armor Power (+1 vigor rolls on a raise) 10 ppe

Wood Shuriken(enchanted item): 45100 creds
[*](Minor): Wood Trappimg (+1 damage vs unarmored targets, -1 damage vs armored)
[*](Major): Summon Tree Ally. Summon Ally power. 10ppe
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Elemental Shuriken

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Alex, my one character with theowing is,lookimg to trade a wand for a set of these weapons. If you have thoughts or comments let me know.

My own thoughts, seems as a weapon really really low damage. I was not sure if maybe I should give it one of the sci fi companion weapon treatments.

The range on it compared to PR is super short, which I am fine with, but it was something I noticed.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

I'd be fine with a free upgrade to MD. Str+1 damage isn't gonna bring down that pesky dragon, MD or no, but at least it's an option. The damages could also be a straight conversion to the power. If it's trapped as wind/lightning, then have the throwing of the shuriken just be the activation of the power for damage, and ignore the minor stuff. I don't know if that fits canon, though.
Beware the mesmerizing eyes of the snake!
12th AAT Bennies
12th AAT GM Bennies: 2/8
Wild Card Bennies:
Devak: 0/2
Varig: 0/2
Cole: 0/2
Prestige Unlimited Bennies
Prestige Unlimited GM Bennies: 5/5
Wild Card Bennies:
William Tack: 3
Kraig: 3
Vedder: 3
Shade: 3
Fletch: 3
Findriel: 0
Niels: 4
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Yeah, as far as damage-dealing goes, the shuriken are negligible -- their purpose is more as a delivery system for the spells. I'd just treat them as wands/power-granting items mechanically, with a special trapping that requires the "throwing" of the shuriken as part of activation. Damage from the shuriken itself can be ignored. You could allow them to be activated with Throwing instead of an arcane skill, if you wanted, although I don't know if it's necessary.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:02 pm Yeah, as far as damage-dealing goes, the shuriken are negligible -- their purpose is more as a delivery system for the spells. I'd just treat them as wands/power-granting items mechanically, with a special trapping that requires the "throwing" of the shuriken as part of activation. Damage from the shuriken itself can be ignored. You could allow them to be activated with Throwing instead of an arcane skill, if you wanted, although I don't know if it's necessary.
I am almost there. I could just use a throwing knife or something. Hmm I’ll think about it some more.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I think it's a cool trapping, with the shuriken essentially being anchors for the attached spells.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:12 pm I think it's a cool trapping, with the shuriken essentially being anchors for the attached spells.
For sure. Thanks for the help.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Okay, I'm gonna do one of these with Tribe's recommendation and incorporating some of my own thoughts as well, to show how it might come out. Note that while you have to flick your wrist in a Throwing motion, you don't actually release the shuriken in this variation--so no need for Quick Draw. This makes them more expensive, but frees up a Major Slot for the Power Mastery Edge, making these things a bit more potent, since you can do the Mega-Powers off of them (it also increases their Range to that of the Power, rather than the shuriken range). The downside of the 'activated by Throwing' aspect is that it makes the Powers a lot more expensive.

Air Shuriken(enchanted item): 130,110 Cr.
  • (Minor): Air Trapping (Ignores fog and other 'atmospheric' concealment penalties) (5K)
  • (Minor): +1 Throwing (5K)
  • (Major): Power Mastery Edge (20K)
  • (Major): Bolt Power with Electric/Conduction Trapping (grants 10 PPE pool, activated with Throwing Skill) (100K)
    • Big Bolt: 3d4 or 4d4 if target is in water or wearing/carrying 10 lbs of metal (3 PPE)
    • Big Onslaught: 6d4, or 7d4 if target is conductive (5 PPE)
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Freemage wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:28 pm Okay, I'm gonna do one of these with Tribe's recommendation and incorporating some of my own thoughts as well, to show how it might come out. Note that while you have to flick your wrist in a Throwing motion, you don't actually release the shuriken in this variation--so no need for Quick Draw. This makes them more expensive, but frees up a Major Slot for the Power Mastery Edge, making these things a bit more potent, since you can do the Mega-Powers off of them (it also increases their Range to that of the Power, rather than the shuriken range). The downside of the 'activated by Throwing' aspect is that it makes the Powers a lot more expensive.

Air Shuriken(enchanted item): 130,110 Cr.
  • (Minor): Air Trapping (Ignores fog and other 'atmospheric' concealment penalties) (5K)
  • (Minor): +1 Throwing (5K)
  • (Major): Power Mastery Edge (20K)
  • (Major): Bolt Power with Electric/Conduction Trapping (grants 10 PPE pool, activated with Throwing Skill) (100K)
    • Big Bolt: 3d4 or 4d4 if target is in water or wearing/carrying 10 lbs of metal (3 PPE)
    • Big Onslaught: 6d4, or 7d4 if target is conductive (5 PPE)
Looks cool. Power Mastery is not necessary.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Well, then, yeah, Quick Draw might be the way to go then--the shuriken are summonable to his hand, meaning he can even swap them out as a free action, if he owns more than one of the set. Alternately, you could use that slot for +1 DT Throwing--making them an extra die-type and a +1 when using their Power.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Freemage wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:45 am Well, then, yeah, Quick Draw might be the way to go then--the shuriken are summonable to his hand, meaning he can even swap them out as a free action, if he owns more than one of the set. Alternately, you could use that slot for +1 DT Throwing--making them an extra die-type and a +1 when using their Power.
The Quick Draw edge was essentially retrapped as an item of returning, so once they were thrown, they just pop back to the hand / sheath. I think leaving QD instead of Power Mastery makes sense as a fluff thing; only the truly adept user can access the full power of the item.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I still think all of those are way more complicated than they need to be, when essentially you're talking about a magical item (set of shuriken) that gives access to five powers.

I'd stat it up this way, as a Legendary-level Enchanted Item. Normally you'd be limited to 4 Majors on something like that, so we'll introduce a significant Hindrance to balance it out.

Set of Elemental Shuriken (Enchanted Item)
It's a set of five shuriken, carried in a bandoleer embroidered with mystical symbols.
Base Item: Bandoleer decorated with shuriken
PPE: 10 (base) +5 + 5 = 20
Minor: +5 PP
Major: New Power - Bolt (Electricity trapping) -- Air Shuriken
Major: New Power - Blast (Fire trapping) -- Fire Shuriken
Major: New Power - Healing (?? trapping) -- Water Shuriken
Major: New Power - Armor (Invulnerability/+1d Vigor trapping) -- Earth Shuriken
Major: New Power - Summon Ally (Tree trapping) -- Wood Shuriken
Hindrance: The wielder must be free and able to physically throw a shuriken to activate the power; powers are activated using the lower of the wielder's Arcane Skill or Throwing (Athletics).
Cost: 130,000 cr

If the Hindrance doesn't seem significant enough to balance out the extra Major, you could also limit the range of each spell to 3/6/12 or Strength in inches.

This way you're not messing with Quick Draw, Returning, or any of that, although it could still look like that from a trappings point of view. Mechanically, they're just spells that you cast as long as the bandoleer/set is in your possession.
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:50 pm PPE: 10 (base) +5 + 5 = 20
Major: New Power - Bolt (Electricity trapping) -- Air Shuriken
Major: New Power - Blast (Fire trapping) -- Fire Shuriken
Major: New Power - Healing (?? trapping) -- Water Shuriken
Major: New Power - Armor (Invulnerability/+1d Vigor trapping) -- Earth Shuriken
Major: New Power - Summon Ally (Tree trapping) -- Wood Shuriken
Hindrance: The wielder must be free and able to physically throw a shuriken to activate the power; powers are activated using the lower of the wielder's Arcane Skill or Throwing (Athletics).
Wouldn't that end up being 60 PPE? It's 10 PPE per power in an item, right?
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

No, it's a base 10 PPE when you add the first power, not per power. If you want more you have to spend mods.
Snake Eyes
Game Master

Post by Snake Eyes »

Tribe of One wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm No, it's a base 10 PPE when you add the first power, not per power. If you want more you have to spend mods.
I'm not very bright.
12th AAT Bennies
Wild Card Bennies:
Wild Card Bennies:
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

The description isn't super clear, but even adding in the 10 base PPE was a late edit that came about, if I remember correctly, when Enchanted Items were revised to keep pace with Tinkered and Super-Tech.

Return to “Archive”