New Hazard - Devil-Storm

TCArknight
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

New Hazard - Devil-Storm

Post by TCArknight »

All!

I’m putting together a One Sheet for SWAG to hopefully drive a little purchasing of my Calensville Caverns offering. This hazard (as well as the Caverns) is meant for a Post Apocalyptic Setting, with Rifts being the setting intended (but with numbers filed off. :) ).
New Hazard: Devil-Storm
In the Post-Apocalyptic Setting, nature often has taken some strong turns towards being innately dangerous and providing for a “survival of the fittest” mentality instead of just being a backdrop for heroes to overcome. Such is the inspiration for the Devil-Storm.

Disruptions in the atmosphere cause Devil-Storms to come up out of seeming nowhere with little to no warning. Visually, these are orange, yellow and purple wonders mixing and layering through the sky. For those unfamiliar with them, this may appear to be a reason to stand outside and watch the heavenly artwork paint the sky. Such would be a mistake however, because of the three deadly components to such storms.

Those caught out in the storm are subject to one of the three effects each round.

Extreme wind: The often hurricane-force winds in a Devil-Storm have a tendency to blow in a straight line and then quickly swirl around and go in a different direction. Individuals caught in one of these swirls may find themselves suddenly thrown off their feet and hurled in a random direction.

Creatures in a Medium Burst Template are subject to a Push (SWADE Core, p. 104) and must make a Strength roll at -4 or be pushed back up to 2” (4 yards) or 3” (6 yards) on a critical failure. The Athletics roll to remain standing is made with an additional -2 as well (Athletics roll at a -4 total).

Powerful Lightning: Bluish-Purple bolts of lightning are common in the Devil-Storm, and seem to target living beings before objects ( as if guided by an intelligence, hence the name of the storm itself).

Up to three living creatures in a Medium Burst Template can be attacked with bolts of this energy. The attack is made with a Shooting: d6 skill and (because of the rain) does 5d6 Damage as if the target were in contact with High Voltage (Core, p. 127) (damage is considered to have the Heavy Weapon quality for the purposes of Armor, Vehicles etc..) and must make a Vigor roll at -4. On a failure the victim is Stunned.

Alkaline Rain: The rain in a Devil-Storm is extremely alkaline in nature and has an actual odor similar to vinegar. This can cause a combination of chemical and thermal burns on exposed skin, rapid breakdown of fabrics, and weakening of metallic components.

Unless in some form of sealed or environmentally protected armor or vehicle, targets in a Small Burst Template must make a Vigor roll at a -2 or take a level of Fatigue. Once a target becomes Incapacitated from this Fatigue, the next failure kills the target. This Fatigue can only be healed with a Medicine roll or some form of burn salve. Vehicles and equipment (including armor) that are not environmentally protected from acidic environments takes 1 Wound level every 30 minutes of exposure. This damage can be repaired normally.
Any and all feedback is welcome. Also, one point brought up on the SW discord was why using SBT/MBT, etc? I have to say that I’m not sure why I included those that way. Would it make much difference to the ‘feel/fright’ of it if there were no templates specified?

Any other thoughts or feedback?
Thanks!
TC

Return to “Archive”