The Cold Light of Morning

Post Reply
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Tribe of One »

The sights and sounds of the harvest festival dance through your head as you crawl into bed, memories made among good friends settling into place as crickets and a soft autumn wind lull you to sleep.

Some time in the night, a chill creeps into your dreams. A cold wind blows in, carried on dark shadows. Wings flutter just out of sight and ravens call, all but drowning out a woman's hopeless sobbing. Branches rattle and crack and you sense something approaching, slowly, slowly, as the blood in your veins turns to ice ...

You awake, bright light streaming through the shutters. The images from your dream fade -- but the cold does not. Your breath steams and frost gathers on the thick glass windows.

Struggling into your boots and whatever clothing you find at hand, you stumble outside, only to find the Hirstwall you returned to last night replaced with one pulled from the depths of winter. Thick snow is falling and already has blanketed the village in icy powder half a hand deep.

rt988863rrrp.jpg

"Breath of the Lady, what is this?" your neighbor exclaims, peering out his own frost-riddled door. "Have we all caught the Slumbering Sick, and slept right through to solstice?"

Others mutter and curse, fingers working into the sign against sorcery, calling out to those nearby in concern and consternation.

"Creighton's done it, mark my words. Saw the old sot hike a leg on the Wall t'other day, damn well soaked the stones, he did."

The muttering continues, fear kept barely at bay, as the villagers wrap themselves in coats and blankets and trudge through the unnatural snow toward the north end of the town, where an open stretch of ground between the steward's manor and the little chapel to the Lord and Lady serves as a de facto town square.

"Well, what in the twice-blighted blazes is going on then? Have you forgotten an offering, or mixed up the prayers at the moon's turn?" Bron Smith growls, still gripping the iron poker he's used to stir up the dying cinders of his forge.

Handmaid Dynia, the young priestess in charge of the chapel, blinks in confusion.

"Prayers to the, the moon? I d-don't ..." she stammers. "No, I ... I'm not sure. I can perform a reading, consult the Lady's tears ..."

"Don't need tears to feel which way the wind blows, girl." The Widow Helmsly's voice cracks like a whip. As if on cue, the villagers turn in unison, faces pointing into the cold wind as it blows in.

From the north. From the Weald.

The ancient forest is only a black line on the horizon from here, but you can make out the dark smudge of stormclouds over the trees, all but hidden by the veil of falling snow.

"Stones protect us, then, if that's the cause," Bron Smith says, careful not to stare too long at the far off timber. "But let's not be fool enough to stand here freezing when there's fires to be kindled. We've not much kindling put back yet. Miller ... what say you we organize a couple of men to gather the scrap from the old mill? Otherwise we'll be burning dung to warm ourselves."

"Work details can wait a moment." The woman's voice carries the easy confidence of command and brings everyone to a standstill. Alice Macron, the steel-haired former captain of the guard, scans the crowd with her one eye. "Is everyone accounted for? Did anyone stay behind at the festival last night?"

A murmur runs through the crowd as the villagers take account. It isn't long before a panicked woman's voice rises above the chatter.

"My Aron's gone, and his father. They ran the flock to the far fields last night, across the river." Eyes turn again to the north as she speaks. Several shudder, imagining the fate of the shepherds caught out in the snow. Macron cuts off the dire predictions with a stern look.

"Don't fret. I'm sure they found a place to shelter overnight, and are likely warmer than us with their sheep for companions. I'm sure we can find someone to go fetch them once the work details are shared out."

Her gaze drifts across the crowd, lingering on the Tender, Jaenelle, and a few other village youth she's befriended over the years.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Gamil was not to far behind Bron Smith and as he went to threaten the Handmaid Dynia, Gamil grasped his forearm, "There is enough fear and panic amongst the villagers. Bloodshed will only increase the fear and panic. We need to trust each other."

Not really understanding the look his landlord gave him, Gamil took it as exceptence of the facts. Gamil had been residing in the blacksmith's forge for the last few winters as a reminder of his home far away.

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle sighs when she wakes up, concern about the weather and its cause balanced against the fact that the hole in her roof hadn't been tended to, yet, and so she has to sweep a bunch of snow out the door. As a result, she's a bit behind most folks arriving at the town square, and takes up her customary position at the fringes of the meet, anyway. She's about to speak up in defense of Dynia--she knows full well the Handmaid, while young, is quite attentive to her duties--when Gamil intervenes, and she smiles to herself, relieved both at Bron's attention being turned from the young woman, and at her ability to remain outside the action for the moment.

Of course, when Macron speaks, Jaenelle understands the meaning of her gaze, and she withdraws from the crowd immediately. When the others--Macron made it clear there would be others, and Jaenelle's pretty sure she can guess the names of at least a few of them--eventually arrive at the gate ready to go look for Aron, they'll find her already waiting there, dressed as best she can for the winter, and ready to accompany them.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness:7(1)
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys yawned and stretched, and then shivered. She looked to the fireplace in her bedroom to see the fire was down to embers. Slipping from bed, she broke the thin layer of ice from the washbasin and splashed her face, the icy water bringing her instantly awake.

A knock on her door, and Vesper called out, “Come!” Clara, her lady’s maid, entered with a load of wood and immediately moved to the hearth.

“Lord and Lady, milady!” the young girl said, stoking the fire. “Have you seen outside?”

“No, what?” Vesper asked, going to the window and throwing open the heavy curtains. Frost covered the pain, making it difficult to see, but the entire town was blanketed in snow. She shivered. “This is entirely too early. We only just had the harvest festival,” she said, rubbing her arms until Clara brought her warm robe.

Vespernys left the window and went to her dressing table. She sat as Clara worked the braids out of her long chestnut hair and combed it. “And what do you wish to wear today, milady?” Clara asked.

Vesper’s eyes went to her closet and she sighed. In this weather, her fighting leathers would be better, but alas, she was to be a proper lady. “The burgundy winter dress,” she told the maid. “Is mother up yet?”

“No, milady,” Clara said.

Vesper sighed. “Then I suppose it is up to me to get things organized.”

Soon Vespernys was dressed properly, her warm ermine cloak wrapped around her. It had to be pulled out of storage, and so still smelled of the preservative herbs to keep away the moths in the summer, since it hadn’t been properly aired, but it was warm.

Vespernys ventured out to the open space beyond the manor’s gatehouse where the villagers mingled with worried expressions.

“Everyone stay calm,” Vesper said, stepping up on what was affectionately termed the speaker’s stump, the large stump of an oak tree that had once fallen long ago and was too much of a hassle to organize a workforce to remove. Besides, it served a purpose as a sort of platform when her mother or herself addressed the villagers, or as a place for the local traveling priest to harangue the people over their sins, or occasionally a villager decrying the lord. By long tradition, anything said on the stump was immune to prosecution, though there was no law actually offering such protection.

“This snowfall is unexpected, yes, and early. But I am sure it is not unheard of.” Vesper looked to the older villagers, those longer lived with even longer memories than herself. “Watchman, get a head count, find out if anyone else is missing. Then organize assistance for anyone needing aid in digging out. And make sure Creighton isn’t lying in a ditch somewhere frozen solid. Bron, you and Cesara get a tarp or something and get Jaenelle’s roof fixed, or at least the hole covered. Jaenelle, if you need to, I will talk to Lady du Lac and find a room for you in the manor until it is fixed. Alice, get the rescue party organized to go out after the shepherds. Jack, if you would, perhaps have some mulled wine available in the tavern today for anyone to come in and get warm.. Put it on the manor’s account. Handmaid Dynia, perhaps you and the Widow Helmsly could take the children to the hills outside town for some sledding and winter fun, keep them from underfoot.”

Vesper looked out over the crowd. “Is there anything else?”

Good, hearty frontier folk didn’t stand idle when there was work to be done, and now everyone went off to dig the village out from under the snow. Vespernys stepped off the speaker’s stump and headed back into the gatehouse, where Clara handed her a mug of mulled wine for warmth.

“Thank you, Clara,” Vesper said as they headed inside.

“Your mother is in the breakfast nook,” Clara said. “And what would milady like to do after breakfast? Shall I set out your needlework?”

Vesper sighed. “No. I am going out to help,” she told Clara.

Clara frowned. “Lady du Lac will not approve, milady.” She took Vesper’s cloak and hung it in the entry hall.

“No doubt, but nevertheless…” It was a familiar argument with her mother. “Fetch me a sausage on a roll for breakfast in my room, and a skin of brandy.”

Clara gave Vesper an odd look, but she was used to such odd requests.

Vespernys had Clara loosen her corset and dress while she munched on the sausage roll and then dismissed the girl, ostensibly changing into a work dress. In reality, she pulled out a leather bag from under some loose floorboards and put on the men’s clothes and green cloak, pulling out her bow, a quiver of arrows, a suit of light chainmail, and a pack. She dressed hurriedly and then pushed open the window, climbing out of the manor, careful not to fall out of the tree as she climbed down.

The Green Hood appearing about the village in daylight was unusual, but she tried to keep out of sight as she made her way toward the gates where the group of searchers was gathering under the direction of Jaelle. Of course, unknown to Vesper, the identity of the Green Hood was probably the worst kept secret in the village.

The Green Hood slipped out from behind a shed near Jaenelle. “I would like to help,” the Hood said, Vesper keeping the hood down to obscure her features, trying to sound like a man.

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Academics 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [2] = 2

Gamil looks at the stump that Vesper is standing on. "The past maybe inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil taps the stump where he is looking at the rings of the tree.

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Layna »

Layna approaches Macron with familiarity. And why wouldn’t she, being her father’s daughter? Alice was a regular guest in their home.

”I’ll go, Alice. But you’ll need to keep ‘Da calm about it, and don’t worry, I promise to be on my best behavior. Community service and all that.” She gives Alice a grin and heads off, adventure (and avoiding wood hauling) on her mind.

She gathers what winter gear she needs and heads out, unsurprised to find @Jaenelle already waiting.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief
Character Sheet

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Lelya Spriggins had just gotten back from the outskirts of town. It had been her luck to have to clean a neighbors house while the festival went on. She was tired, and now cold as the snap had settled in. But her weariness washed away when the cries of someone needing help met her ears. She hid her smile best she could. Someone needs saving... Looks like chores are going to have to wait. She always loved to help people, and a chance to play hero was all she needed. Blade gleaming on her back, and shinning buckler secure on her forearm she leaped into the snow toward the far field’s across the river! “Got it! I’ll grab them.”

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Kaya »

Kaya gasped in shock as the cold hit her after she'd warily climbed out of bed; there was frost ringing the window and door of her vardo. Wrapping a blanket round herself for warmth, she rubbed the glass of the window and peered out to find the village in the depths of winter. Not good.

Most in the village had barely begun the necessary preparations needed before the onslaught of the hard grip of winter, Kaya herself still had a list of herbs she'd wanted to gather in addition to stocking up on firewood. Given how sudden and unexpected winter had come upon them, Kaya was doubtful that her meagre store of healing supplies would last any real length of time especially if a sickness fell on the villagers. Not good at all.

By the time Kaya had pulled out some winter clothing, a commotion had gathered towards the north end of the village. Unsurprisingly everyone else was up in arms over the unseasonal weather, no doubt looking for something to lay blame upon for a supposed curse on the village. She joined the back of the crowd just in time to hear news that a couple of shepherds had gone out after the festival the previous night and hadn't returned. The grizzled old warrior Macron had raised the suggestion of a search party and her glaze had fallen on Jaenelle and a few others, Kaya swore she'd felt the old woman's glaze linger on her at a potential volunteer.

"I best go in case either of them are hurt." Kaya called, stepping forward. "Or in case somebody else gets hurt whilst we're out."

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys stepped off the stump when Gamil the dwarf addressed her.

"The past may be inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil tapped the stump where he was looking at the rings of the tree.

“Oh? What do you mean, Mr. Gamil?” Vesper asked, thinking there was some obscure dwarf wisdom about to come forth. The stump had been here in front of the steward’s manor since it was built, before the time of her grandfather. It was older than her, and its tree had been older than the village when it was first founded here.

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 am
Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys stepped off the stump when Gamil the dwarf addressed her.

"The past may be inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil tapped the stump where he was looking at the rings of the tree.

“Oh? What do you mean, Mr. Gamil?” Vesper asked, thinking there was some obscure dwarf wisdom about to come forth. The stump had been here in front of the steward’s manor since it was built, before the time of her grandfather. It was older than her, and its tree had been older than the village when it was first founded here.

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Pointing to specific rings of the tree, "See how close these rings are," pointing to rings toward the center of the tree.

"A similar cold snap happened when the tree was very young. Without counting them, I would guess likely before the village was established."

The dwarf catches himself before diving into too much more detail. Looking at @Vespernys du Lac he sees the look in her eyes and understands exactly what she intends to do. With a nod of his head, "Good day to you, Lady du Lac."

Turning on his heal the dwarf disappears into the crowds before the crowds disperse. Time to check on the others.

Gamil has a pretty good idea of who will be showing up for the search party.

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Halt »

Halt recognizes the unnatural nature of the chill in the air even before his eyes open. He rouses quickly, checks on the horses to make sure they have a little extra feed to compensate for the cold, and then joins the crowd gathered in the town.

"Joins" may be a strong term for what Halt does. As he approaches, no one calls greeting or acknowledges him in anyway, though some to make eye contact and pointedly turn away.

Sheesh...how long will it take these people to realize that nothing happened...

Halt eventually finds a knarled tree and leans against it, arms crossed, and listens to Vespers and Ole' Macron's speeches. As the crowd start to disperse Halt sees Elwyn and approaches her.

"Hows your family for supplies? A lot of folks are going to short on winter provisions if this sticks around."

"We are fine. The Taylor's family down the road seemed worried about their stores though. I was going to try and talk to father about giving them some flour to help them bridge the gap". She smiles, but the smile is just a little cold in a way that cuts through Halt's cloak deeper than the north wind.

"Elwyn I promise..." Halt starts

"I know... Nothing happened. I believe you. It's just... Elwyn's eyes track Vesper as she leaves the stump and head back up to the manner. She leaves the sentence hanging, not exactly sure how to finish. "Anyway, you better get going. You are going after the shepherd's right?"

That was Elwyn... always concerned more about others than herself.

Ugh...I guess someone is going to have to keep them from getting lost in the woods arent they?" He leans in a gives Elwyn a kiss on the cheek. "I'll come see you when we get back"


"For the Lady's sake Vesper, put down that ridiculous hood" Halt says as he walks down the path toward the gate where the search party is congregating. "I've followed you since you snuck out the window, and at least 3 villagers saw you coming down the path from your manor. If any of them are half as smart as they profess to be they will put two and two together realize that you are the "Green hood" Halt throws up quotations when speaking the name for good effect. Sarcastic as his tone may be, the smirk on his face shows that Halt is glad Vesper has decided to help look for the lost sheepherders.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Neil »

Spellcasting 6; -2 PPE
Binodo's Metamorphasis (Disguise) 2 PP
Spellcasting 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
Bron's stomping about the smithy while spewing off half-muttered curses rouse Neil from his sleep. The young illusionist's sleepiness is shocked away by the unnatural cold. Throwing his clothes on, Neil pokes his head out and ask's Bron, "Is everything alright, Father?"

The blacksmith stomps about some more and yells, "I'll get to the bottom of this! Stoke the fire. A smith's work doesn't stop for the cold, boy."

Neil rolls his eyes and spends a minute getting the fire started. It isn't a propper job, but it should keep him from getting in too much trouble. He slips out and joins the crowd well away from his father.

He listens to the crowd, Alice and Lady Vesper, then slips off back to the smithy to gather some adventuring equipment, Binodo's tome, and to write a letter for his fiance. Priscilla would be more cross with Neil than his father for running off on a whim, but she would forgive him knowing he did it for the village.

Unwilling to wait any longer for fear of missing this opportunity for adventure, Neil rushed out of the house before his father could return. He took a detour to slip his note under the Millers' door, and ran to join the others at the gate.

Halt wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 9:48 am
"For the Lady's sake Vesper, put down that ridiculous hood" Halt says as he walks down the path toward the gate where the search party is congregating. "I've followed you since you snuck out the window, and at least 3 villagers saw you coming down the path from your manor. If any of them are half as smart as they profess to be they will put two and two together realize that you are the "Green hood" Halt throws up quotations when speaking the name for good effect. Sarcastic as his tone may be, the smirk on his face shows that Halt is glad Vesper has decided to help look for the lost sheepherders.
Nothing gets spirits up like a well played, good-natured trick. Before @Vespernys du Lac has a chance pull her hood down, Neil softly breaths out a word of power and just barely twitches his fingers. Ambient magic twists and molds to Neil's whims, and Vesper's features shift as her visage takes on more masculine facial structures.

Cocking his eyebrow at @Halt Neil says, "Surely our lady isn't the Green Hood, Halt. Lady Vesper always seems so well-meaning and propper. I can't imagine her skulking about at night like a ruffian."
Neil Smith
Neil Smith, Self-Taught Mage
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2; PPE: 8/10
Bennies: 1/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vesper’s heart skips a bit at the look Gamil gave her. Did he know she was the hood? Or the other secret she kept even more hidden, that she had been the anonymous fighter at the tournament last year that had killed his competitor? It had been an accident, and Vesper made sure that the man’s family was taken care of -- anonymously -- but that didn’t make her fear and shame any less.

Vespernys had to put aside her fears of what the inscrutable dwarf knew to become the Green Hood. She had just volunteered when Halt walked up and called her out. She blushed beneath her hood as her archery teacher called her out, and reluctantly reached up to pull back the hood.

“How long have you known?” she asked, dropping the attempt at a masculine voice, not realizing her features had been disguised. She looked a bit like Vespernys if one squinted, only male, her green eyes still standing out. She looked at the others with embarrassment. “Did the rest of you know?”

"Surely our lady isn't the Green Hood, Halt. Lady Vesper always seems so well-meaning and proper. I can't imagine her skulking about at night like a ruffian," Neil said.

Vesper blushed. “I cause my mother enough grief,” she said. “I sought to try and do good without causing her more embarrassment,” she tried to explain. “And I didn’t want to give up my bow. I’m <i>good</i>,” she said insistently. “And I am terrible at embroidery.”

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

"Come know Vesper," Gamil said in a low voice, "When it comes to resources for doing good in the community, the du Lac's still have the means."

"Others may not care, just as long as the Green Hood continues to provide inspiration and excitement."

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Halt »

The look of shock is plain on Halts face when Vesper lowers her hood. At least until she starts to speak in her own voice.

Halt looks around and sees Neil coming down the path, and gives the illusionist his best scowl, which is surprisingly effective despite Halts youthful face.

"Damn wizards..." Halt mutters, before pulling out and stringing his bow.
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:03 am

“I cause my mother enough grief,” she said.
"Bah.... Would that there were more nobles tried causing your kind of grief. We'd all be a lot better off." Halt says as he puts his weight onto the bowstaff, flexing it into a nice arch. He slides the string in place and whips the bow around on his back.

"In no small part due to the fact many wouldn't survive the attempt" Halt grumbles.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Tribe of One »

Halt wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 am
"In no small part due to the fact many wouldn't survive the attempt" Halt grumbles.
"There'll be no more talk of that," One-Eye Macron barks, her scowl threatening the swallow the leather patch over her left eye. "Do your duties and everyone survives."

She looks at the group gathered outside the village wall, five young women, two young men and a dwarf older than the rest combined.

"You're up to it, no doubt. Not that we've a choice, with the duke gone west with all the fighting men and no telling when they'll return," she says, shifting her weight off the twice-broken leg that kept her away from the most recent campaign.

"Listen close, because though there's nothing natural about this snow, being stupid will kill you faster than the cold. Keep your wits about you -- the weather may not be the only thing gone odd-ways, especially if it's come from the wood ... be quick, find the shepherds and their flock, and get them back to the village. Seeing them home will warm your neighbors as well as wood in the hearth, so don't dally. We'll have a kettle on when you get back."

She nods, and watches your group as you trudge north to the river bridge. The span is slick with frozen spray from below, and you take care crossing. On the other side, fresh snow lies several inches deep across the fields, but the well-worn shepherd's path into the hills is easy enough to follow, the shallow trench carved by hundreds of hooved feet over the years.

It's not long before you find yourselves wishing for hooves of your own -- your feet sink deep in the fresh snow, which lies several inches deep over the thick, dry grass of late autumn. You're breathing hard before long, clouds of steam trailing after as you trudge through the deep powder.

[Absent another appropriate skill use, each character needs to succeed on a Vigor check or else pick up a level of Fatigue.]

The sun has climbed high in the sky when you find yourselves on the hilly outskirts of the Tumulheights. You've seen numerous signs that the flock passed this way -- a tuft of wool caught on a log, a bootprint preserved by an overhanging shelf of rock. They must be close, you reason, remembering that the boy, Aron, mentioned that he and his father sometimes camped for the night with the flock among the tumbled stones.

You hear them before you see them -- and the sound is one that sends a chill past your layered clothing. Aron's voice, carried on the wind, cries for help, as the angry howls of a wolf pack echo off the rock walls.

Hurrying along the slippery path, you round the side of the hill and spot the boy, perched atop a weathered column of rock. Below, his father stands in the mouth of a shallow cave, swinging his crook desperately as he tries to fend off nearly a dozen slavering wolves, which seem possessed by some unnatural bloodlust.
winter-662428_1280.jpg

The icy path to the cave is treacherous. As the wolves and the shepherds come into view, you're about 30 inches away.

With an Athletics check, you can halve the distance; a success at Athletics -2 lets you close within 8 inches of the wolves. Failure on either check results in a tumble that leaves you Distracted and Vulnerable during the first round of combat.

You can take other actions, such as casting a spell or something similar, applying a MAP as normal (and counting the Athletics check as your first action). If you maintain position on the hill and don't move, you can ready a weapon and Aim, gaining the bonus in the first round of combat.

I'll draw for initiative once everyone has posted and battle positions are clear.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Vigor 9
Vigor 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 3] = 9
"Distract those wolves."

"I am heading up after the shepherds and their flock."

Weird Science, Hand of Vecna, Burrow 9, Move 5
Burrow + Power Modifier (3 PPE)
17 PPE Remaining

Weird Science 1d8!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [2] = 2

Benny to Reroll ( 2 of 3 remaining)

Weird Science 1d8!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 3] = 9
Last edited by Gamil on Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Neil »

Vigor 3, Athletics 3; +1 Fatigue, -1 Benny
Vigor: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny to Reroll
Vigor Reroll: 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild Reroll: 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Athletics d4!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
GM Said no spells this round
Spellcasting Action 1
Binodo’s Sensational Sensory Spectacular (Confusion) (-1 PP) + Area of Effect (MBT; -2 PP) + Selective (-1 PP)
Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild: 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Benny to Reroll
Spellcasting Reroll: 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild Reroll: 1d6!!-1: [10!!]-1 = 9
  • Confusion confounds a target, making him both Distracted and Vulnerable if he fails a Smarts roll (at −2 with a raise on the arcane skill roll). Both states are removed at the end of the victim’s next turn.
The bitter cold is not kind to Neil. He begins losing feeling in his face and the biting winds sap his strength. By the time the group encounters the wolves harrying their fellow villagers, Neil's fingers are nearly too numb to cast his spells.

Neil hears Gamil ask for someone to distract the wolves and responds, "I can do that! I just need to get closer..."

The footing is treacherous, and Neil is not the surefooted athletic type like many of his friends. He approaches slower but doesn't risk slipping or taking his eyes off of the wolves ahead. If he can just get a little closer, he can attempt to distract the wolves for Gamil...
Neil Smith
Neil Smith, Self-Taught Mage
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2; PPE: 8/10
Bennies: 1/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Vigor 1d6! Wild 1d6!: [4]+[5] = 9

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

"When it comes to resources for doing good in the community, the du Lac's still have the means," Gamil said.

Vespernys gave a wan smile to the dwarf, but said nothing. There was a reason they had moved out of the castle and down into the steward’s manor. Their finances were less than many assumed. But they still had to put on a good face, and not embarrass themselves when other nobles came through. That didn’t happen often out here on the frontier, thank the Lord and Lady.

Vesper blushed at Halt’s praise at her skills and do-goodery. He’d helped train her, so his praise meant more.

Vesper listened carefully to Alice Macron’s instructions. She nodded and pulled her hood up again against the wind, resettled her pack on her back and her quiver at her hip, and headed out with the others.

The bridge was icy, and the snow was deep, making it difficult to move. Soon Vesper was puffing away with the others as they plowed through the snow, taking turns at being at the front of the line and snowbreaking as they walked in the path of the others in front of them.

Vesper and the others pushed on into the hills, following the small traces of the shepherds. They heard shouting and scrambled up a rise, seeing the pair of lost shepherds and their sheep boxed in by a dozen frenzied wolves.

“Lord and Lady, that’s a lot of wolves,” Vesper murmured, yanking her gloves off with her teeth and readying her bow, making sure her dagger was loose in its sheath in case the predators closed. She dropped her pack to the snow to make sure it didn’t burden her.

“I’ll cover you,” Vesper told the others as she drew her longbow back to her cheek, taking careful aim at the wolves below, trying to pick out the alpha.
Turn
Taking AIM maneuver to ignore 4 points of penalties. Staying on the hill for now 30”
***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Athletics(free runner) vs Fatigue: 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild: 1d6!: [1] = 1
Athletics to close the distance vs wolves:-2+2 from free runner 1d8!: [5] = 5
Wild: 1d6: [1] = 1

Spriggins it turns out was spry.

On the way there Lelya instead of trugging through the snow leaped from snow powdered rock to skinny tree as if she had spent her time when not cleaning a house or shepherding out in the fields and woods practicing for this kind of arduous trek. Her father’s sword lightly clinked against the buckles of her leather armor, and her shinning buckler caught the sun’s light here and there casting a dazzling reflection onto the ground at times during this journey to find the wayward father and son.

Upon seeing the wolves caught by some kind of unnatural blood lust Lelya whispered, in part remembering the words last heard in their home. “Its as if the cold changed them... Unnatural” She shook her head for a moment gathering the courage needed: the courage her fatherJack once shown. With a quick nod to @Gamil and a wry smile to @Vespernys du Lac she took to jumping and leaping over gnarled rock jutting out of the cold snow toward the wolves. Her lithe atheltic form made it look like some kind of eerie ballet. Perched atop whatever crag she could leap too she drew her father’s mightly blade and clanged it broadside against her shield trying to draw the wolves’ attention.

Clang! Clang! She cried forth at the top of her thinking for the briefest moments if her father had felt she when he faced his giants,”We are here Wolves! The heroes of Hirstwall have come, and many are fat from feasting!” Clang!Clang!
Perform: 1d8: [7] = 7
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
@Tribe of One Perform Skill for oratory? basically trying to distract the wolves or get them to come after her rather than the Shepard's. Just let me know what skill please.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Kaya »

Vigor 1d6!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3


Athletics 1d6!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3


Unfortunately for Kaya, it proved far more bitingly cold than she'd expected even with with warmest clothes she could find in her vardo. Before long her teeth was chattering and and she held her arms tight in hopes of trying to keep halfway warm. Though trudging through the snow was starting to take it's toll and she forged onwards in hopes of finding shelter.

Instead they found wolves.

In turn the pack of wolves, more bigger and savage than anything Kaya had ever seen before, had found the missing shepherds. It meant that the village youths had found their quarry, though now it was to be a savage battle of survival against the beasts. She noticed Lelya calling out to try and get the wolves' attention, trying to distract them away from the shepherds. There was an awful lot of the beasts, but distracting and splitting them up into smaller groups might just be the key to defeating them.

Kaya whistled loudly and joined Lelya in trying to distract the wolves. "Oi! Furballs! Over here!"

Performance 1d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 1d6!+1: [6!, 3]+1 = 10

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Layna »

The weather is bitterly set against them, but
Vigor: 1d6!!: [2] = 2 , Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
"We must be getting near to them by now," she says, right before they begin hearing the wolves.

Seeing the rocky way forward, Layna trusts in her balance and her stealth to try and get as close as possible without attracting the attention of the wolves.
Taking a MAP to try and close the distance and make a stealth check at the same time. Athletics 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9 , Stealth 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 , Benny to reroll 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
; hopefully, her compatriots are loud enough that the wolves take no notice of little Layna creeping up, a dagger in each hand.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief
Character Sheet

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Halt »

Halt smothers the instinctive retort to Macron's rebuke. She'd knocked him on his ass more than once for his smart mouth. Besides, despite their frequent disagreements about the relative usefulness of nobles, Halt respected Macron. She had a hard attitude sure, but she was sensible and didn't beat around any bushes, no matter how thorny they may be.

Instead he pulls up the hood of his cloak and takes the back position of the column trudging through the snow.

Going to have to take the lead when we start looking for tracks. No point in tiring myself out now

Vigor 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1



Halt pulls an arrow and rushes forward at the sound of the frightened shepherd boy. He slows up as he sees wolves, taking in the villagers predicament.

Smart kid, but what the hell is his dad doing trying to fight the wolves at that cave entrance? What is he, protecting the sheep. Fool, let the damn wolves have em...

Halt hesitates a moment, deciding whether to attempt the path down the trail. If he moves now, he will get closer to the wolves, which is never a good thing, but he will also get a better shot. And the sooner they can drop some wolves the better. Of course, if they dont come any closer, he'll be at the far end of his range. He'll be as likely to his the others and one of the wolves. Besides...Halt isnt the most graceful individual, and the last thing he wants is to end up on is back surrounded by a pack of wolves.

Halt takes a deep breath and starts down the slope trying carefully to place his feet on areas not slick with ice.

Athletics 1d6!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Jaenelle »

Before the departure:

Jaelle smiles at Vesper's offer to have her roof fixed. "Thank you, m'lady; as I am to be in the field later, I suspect that the repairs will be done in time that I need not impose upon your hospitality--but the offer is, even so, greatly appreciated."

When the group begins to gather at the gate, still gently ribbing one another, she raises a brow, and nods to Vesper. "You should put the hood back up. Whilst many do know the truth, it is different to be forced to acknowledge the truth so plainly. So long as any can say they do not know for certain who the Green Hood is, or where the Lady Vesper has been spending her time, then the lord need not expend too much thought on the matter, yes?"

********************************
Vigor 11
Vigor 1d8: [5] = 5
Wild Vigor 1d6: [6] = 6 ACE 1d6!+6: [5]+6 = 11
Okay, exploding isn't automatic, good to know.

Casting Protection: 1 PPE base, Additional Targets +7 (whole group), Toughness +1, Extra Armor +1
Spellcasting 1d10!: [5] = 5
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!: [1] = 1

Success: All targets gain +4 Toughness for the next 5 rounds.
Jaenelle is largely unperturbed by the cold wind and exertion--Alice Macron is not a woman to molly-coddle a student, and those drills were as much about improving the younger woman's endurance as they were about teaching actual swordplay.

She runs with the others upon hearing Aron's cries, but pulls up short at the sight of the wolves. Instead of attempting to insert herself into the fray immediately, she hangs back, speaking a few words of power, calling upon ancestors of each of her allies--and her own, for that matter--to provide them all with protection against tooth and claw. As her companions move forward or go on the offense in other ways, they find themselves clad in ethereal armor--weightless, but offering profound defense.

Feeling her magic completely spent, she then draws her blade, preparing to move forward.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness:7(1)
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Tribe of One »

donovan-valdes-wolvesntrees-01-dv.jpg
Wolves Win Initiative
Jaenelle 1d54: [1] = 1 = 2 Spades
Gamil 1d54: [11] = 11 = Queen of Spades
Kaya 1d54: [37] = 37 = Queen of Clubs
Halt 1d54: [50] = 50 = Queen of Diamonds
Vesper 1d54: [7] = 7 = 8 Spades
Neil 1d54: [49] = 49 = Jack of Diamonds
Lelya 1d54: [42] = 42 = 4 Diamonds
Layna 1d54: [1] = 1 = Reroll = 1d54: [35] = 35 = 10 Clubs

Wolves 1d54: [49] = 49 = Reroll = 1d54: [10] = 10 = Jack of Spades

Only three PCs beat the wolves Jack, so wolves go first.
Positions
  • High on the hill along the icy path (30 inches from the cave mouth): Vesper; Jaenelle;
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches from cave mouth): 5 rabid wolves Gamil (burrowing); Neil; Layna; Halt; Kaya;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): 6 rabid wolves; Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya;

The snarling of the wolves turns to howls as they sense your presence, the sound echoing from the snow-topped rocks at the bottom of the hill as the members of your party move down the path, some slowly, some swiftly. At the crest, Vesper nocks her bow while Jaenelle speaks the words of a spell meant to safeguard her companions against the pack's rabid fangs.

Sprinting down the icy trail like a billie goat, Lelya outpaces the rest of the group, arriving at the bottom of the hill as the wolves seem about to swarm over the shepherd. Clashing her sword against her shining shield, she tries to draw the beasts' attention -- and succeeds all too well as all but two turn toward her, their breath steaming in the cold.

Luckily, Kaya adds her own strong voice to the clamour, whistling and calling the wolves farther up the hill. Five sprint past Lelya then slow as they move to engage the other members of the group. Four stay behind, circling Lelya. The remaining two continue to harass and lunge at the exhausted shepherd, Graff, as his son cries out in distress.

Attacks
Four wolves attack Lelya with a +4 Ganging Up bonus.
Fighting 1 1d6+4: [3]+4 = 7
Fighting 2 1d6+4: [2]+4 = 6
Fighting 3 1d6+4: [6]+4 = 10 = Ace! = 1d6+10: [4]+10 = 14 = Hit with a Raise
Fighting 4 1d6+4: [5]+4 = 9

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!+1d6!!: [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 = Not enough to shake due to Protection

Two wolves attack Graff with a +2 Ganging Up bonus vs. the shepherd's Parry 5 +4 from Defending
Fighting 1 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 = Miss
Fighting 2 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 = Miss
The wolves surround Lelya, darting and nipping at her heels, but she fends them off with sword and shield. Eventually, one slips under her guard and sinks its fangs into her thigh, but the vicious bite is blunted by the force of Jaenelle's protective spell, leaving the lone warrior unscathed.

Graff, meanwhile, manages to beat back the remaining two wolves for a time, though his exhaustion is evident as the waves his quarterstaff back and forth, too tired even to shout.


You're up! See positioning above. Rather than messing with Pace and Running, you can move down a level witha an Athletics check, which counts as an action.

Wolves (11): Parry 5, Toughness 4
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Shooting Wolf attacking shepherd 4, Damage 23
Shooting, -2 medium range, +2 Aim 1d10!!: [3] = 3 ; Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4 - Hit
Damage, heavy draw, weapon specialization +2 1d10!!+1d6!!: [6]+[15!!] = 21
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 1

Having taken the time to aim carefully, Vespernys sighted on one of the wolves harassing the shepherd. Her friends would have to fend for themselves as she protected those less able. She drew back the string of the bow, taking the time to pull back farther than normal for extra momentum on the arrow, and then loosed it at the wolf. The arrow pierced its heart just behind the front flank and kept going right on through into the snow beyond, dropping the beast.

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Arrows: 19
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Kaya »

Actions
Fighting 1d6!!: [5] = 5 (-1 for Fatigue)
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4 (-1 for Fatigue)

Benny to re-roll

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [5]+[7!!] = 12
Was that such a good idea? Kaya pondered as the wolves came charging in her direction. Bit late now to reconsider.

With her rapier to hand, Kaya stood ready but thanks to the biting cold she felt a little clumsy. She went to swing at one of the closest wolves to her, though for a moment it looked like the blade of her weapon would do little more than catch some fur. Then the beast turned and Kaya's rapier connected and seemingly landed a telling strike for the wolf collapsed, momentum carrying it forward and down into the snow.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Gamil follows the slope of the hill down and tries his best to understand the vibrations above him.
Weird Science 1d8!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Gamil gets he tries gage from memory where he could surprise the wolves near the shepherd and his son.
Weird Science (Elemental Manipulation + Double Modifier = 2 PPE ) Weird Science 1d8!!: [7] = 7 Wild 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
, Gamil tries to drop as many wolves into the hole as possible, where he waits with his axe.
Weird Science Test (Elemental Manipulation) 1d8!!: [7] = 7 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
, Gamil attempts to snare or trap a wolf. Just one will do.
Last edited by Gamil on Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Layna »

Athletics 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Damage 1d6!! + 1d4!!: [1]+[2] = 3
Benny to reroll 1d6!! + 1d4!!: [5]+[13!!] = 18


With a practiced flick of her wrist, Layna sends a dagger flying through the air where it buries itself in the chest of one of the wolves nearest her. The animal drops without so much as a whimper, and Layna smoothly draws another of her various daggers.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief
Character Sheet

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Attacking a wolf, hit, and 17 damage
Fighting 1d10! 1d6!: [6]+[2] = 8
Damage: 2d8!: [3, 8!, 4] = 15 +2= 17!
Leyla found herself surrounded. Her father’s warning from the night before, You are too impulsive, and too heroic for your own good. Still rung in her ears. Still despite being surrounded she found herself hiding a smile. She relished a chance to put her skills to the test and fight alongside her friends. Would she have been so reckless without the magic which now protected her? Her shout of, “Come and taste steel wolf, Hirstwall’s best are at your backsides!” and thrust of her long sword was all the answer she needed.

User avatar
Neil
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Neil »


Spellcasting Support (Fatigued, Distracted)
Spellcasting 1d8!!-3: [6]-3 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1


Closing in on his friends nearer to the cavern, Neil sees Lelya in trouble and tries to come to her aid with one of Binodo's cantrips - dancing lights. He thinks he can twist it to appear as flames to scare the wolves momentarily, but his fingers are too numb to properly cast the spell.

Neil spends several seconds shaking his hands and flexing his fingers in an attempt to get the blood flowing. He knows he won't be of any help to his friends if he can't get his magic working properly.
Neil Smith
Neil Smith, Self-Taught Mage
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2; PPE: 8/10
Bennies: 1/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Halt »

Halt curses his luck. He would have stayed at the top of the hill if he had known Kaya was going to going to draw the wolves up the path!

Halt sees the the arrow from Vesper fly true, sinking into the flank of a wolf down by the shepherd. Halts aim is a little more self serving, and lets an arrow fly toward one of the wolves flying up the path.

Shooting 5
1d8: [5] = 5
1d6: [4] = 4
Damage 3
2d6: [1, 1] = 2
-1 bennie to re-roll
2d6: [2, 1] = 3
The arrow flies true, but the tip must have been blunted, for it slams into the side of the wolf without piercing the skin.
Dice rolls
1d8-2: [6]-2 = 4
1d6-2: [4]-2 = 2
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle frowns at the situation. It frustrates her, but without further magical reserves, she'll need to engage the wolves more directly--but tumbling down the icy hill and being sprawled at the feet of an angry wolf seems like a bad idea. So instead, she moves carefully, but swiftly, focusing all her attention on the descent, until she manages to catch up to Kaya and the others at the hill's midpoint.
OOC Comments
Only action is focusing on movement to make it to the halfway point without rolling.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness:7(1)
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1076
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Tribe of One »

Reaction Rolls + Initiative
Wolf Athletics vs. Gamil's magical grappling 1d8: [1] = 1 = Raise, Wolf if Bound & Entangled

Jaenelle 1d54: [31] = 31 = 6C
Gamil 1d54: [7] = 7 = 8S
Kaya 1d54: [32] = 32 = 7C
Halt 1d54: [40] = 40 = 2D
Vesper 1d54: [5] = 5 = 6S
Neil 1d54: [6] = 6 = 7S
Lelya 1d54: [2] = 2 = 3S
Layna 1d54: [34] = 34 = 9C

Wolves 1d54: [35] = 35 = 10C

Wolves go first.
The sharp, metallic tang of hot blood fills the frigid air as combat is joined. Vesper claims the first kill, her bow launching an arrow from the top of the hill with such force that it plunges through one of the wolves menacing Graff and emerges from the other side.

Kaya, halfway up the hill, impales another on her rapier, as Layna drop another with a thrown dagger.

Down below, Lelya fends off the four wolves circling her before darting forward to cut one down with an expert thrust.

Gamil, burrowing beneath the earth, manages to create a small sinkhole beneath the one wolf still attacking Graff, holding fast it's hind legs and preventing it from moving. [With a Raise, the wolf is Bound and Entangled.]

Struggling with frozen fingers, Neil botches his spell while Halt watches his arrow slide off his target's frost-tipped fur without effect.

Wolves won initiative and attack
Three wolves attack Lelya with a +2 Ganging Up bonus.
Fighting 1 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
Fighting 2 1d6+2: [5]+2 = 7
Fighting 3 1d6+2: [1]+2 = 3
All miss.

Wolf tries to wriggle free: Athletics 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Middle level wolves (3) attack Neil, Halt and Layna

Fighting vs. Neil 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 = Hit with a Raise!
Fighting vs Halt 1d6!!: [3] = 3 = Miss
Fighting vs. Layna 1d6!!: [5] = 5 = Miss

Damage vs. Neil 2d6!!+1d4!!: [9!!, 8!!]+[1] = 18
At the mouth of the cave, Graff is too exhausted to anything but lean on his staff as the single remaining wolf there struggles feebly to pull itself out of Gamil's earthen grasp. [Gamil needs a 2 or better on his opposed roll to keep the wolf Bound.]

Nearby, Lelya continues to fend off the trio of wolves that surround her, her blade and silver buckler blocking every attempt to get within her guard.

The three remaining wolves farthest up the hill split their attack amongst the targets carrying the least amount of bloodied steel: Neil, Layna and Halt. While the thief and the young woodsman manage to dance out of the way of the wolves' flashing fangs, Neil is not as swift -- bright red blood paints the snow as a wolf sinks its teeth deep into the tender flesh of the mage's leg! [A hit with a raise does 18 damage, good for 2 Wounds after accounting for Jaenelle's protective spell.]


Positions
  • High on the hill along the icy path (30 inches from the cave mouth): Vesper;
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches from cave mouth): 3 rabid wolves Gamil (burrowing); Neil; Layna; Halt; Kaya; Jaenelle;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): 4 rabid wolves; Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya;

You're up! See positioning above. Rather than messing with Pace and Running, you can move down a level with a an Athletics check, which counts as an action.

Wolves (7): Parry 5, Toughness 4
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Gamil is nearly giddy. Mole tactics rewarded him with a pair of wolf back legs.
Grappling 1d8!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
to keep the wolf from scurrying out of the hole. Gamil almost laughs out loud thinking how ashamed the wolf would be after or if he escaped.

Because he is hanging onto both legs with his gauntled hands,
Athletics 1d4!!: [15!!] = 15 Wild 1d6!!: [20!!] = 20
towards where the wolf's front is in order to open up a bigger hole to drop the wolf in.

OOC Comments
I find it hard not to laugh at the wolf being taunted by his peers for falling into a hole he cannot climb out of.

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Shooting 8; Raise
-2 range
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
Raise Damage 20
1d10!!+2d6!!+2: [4]+[3, 11!!]+2 = 20
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 12

Vespernys surveyed the battlefield for her next target. The shepherd Graff was safe for the moment, with the only wolf threatening him bound by magic. Neil was hurt, but had plenty of nearby friends. But Leyla was outnumbered and alone.

“Hang on, Neil!” Vesper encouraged the mage. “Be with you in a bit.” But she aimed for one of the wolves surrounding Leyla and loosed an arrow, again driving it through the wolf in question, which fell bleeding to the snow at Leyla’s feet, silent and still.

***

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 3/3
Arrows: 18
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Kaya »

Fighting 4
Fighting 1d6!!: [2] = 2 (gah, -1 for Fatigue)
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Benny to re-roll

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [9!!]+[3] = 12


Kaya was surprised when a wolf disappeared down a hole that had suddenly opened up beneath it's feet, though probably no more than the wolf was. It was distracting enough to cause Kaya's swing to falter and made her rapier catch some tuffs of fur rather than land a proper blow. The chill that had befallen her earlier was still upon her and making her limbs feel like lead.

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Halt »

Seeing Vespers second arrow fly true, Halt's eyes narrow in frustrated concentration. Unwilling to let his former student show him up,

Shooting 1d8!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Shooting 1d8!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Damage 2d6!: [1, 2] = 3

Bennie to reroll with elan
Shooting 1d8!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1


One misses it's target while the other one flies true. However, in Halts rush he must have underdrew the string, as the tip bounces off the beasts thick hide.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Layna »

Though she prefers to sling her daggers from a distance, Layna is a capable enough fighter up close, when the situation calls for it.

Fighting 1d6!!: [3] = 3 , Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
with one of her daggers; it's nothing fancy, just a clean, simple poke with the knife,
1d6!!+1d4!!: [1]+[10!!] = 11
to bring the beast down.

Who'd have thought when I woke up this morning that I'd have killed two wolves before lunch?
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief
Character Sheet

Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”