Eye of the Storm

Post Reply
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: "Phil, what happens to those of the court that lose their physical form? Any chance that their spirits remain in the place that they die?"
Phil lowers his eyes and shakes his head.

"When killed by violence, the fae folk simply cease to be. It is one of the reasons the lords of the Courts avoid outright war against each other -- with ages behind us and ages ahead, only the jaded and or the mad would risk existence as easily as mortals do."
Gamil looks back at Willowfrond, "Anything we can do to help her heal and recover?"

"I am a healer," Kaya says. "Though I've never tended to one of the Fair Folk."

"I might have a herb or two that'll help."
Phil looks as if he's about to object, then stops and nods. With spidersilk and some of the herbs from her bag, Kaya wraps Willowfrond's torn wings, soothing the pain somewhat. As she finishes, Lelya moves forward and wraps the battered pixie in her cloak.
“This was my mother’s and always carries the fire of my family’s hearth. May it warm you.”
Willowfrond is overcome by the kindness, and weeps softly. Catching a tear in each palm, she reaches out to the two young women, grasping each by the hand.

"Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place. And maybe my tears can provide a bit of pixie luck, should you need it."

[Kaya and Lelya each gain a Benny.]

Phil nods again in thanks, then ushers the group out of the grove.

Walking swiftly, he leads the way back toward the magical toran that brought you here. And though you swear the wildwood portal was the same one you passed through previously, you find yourself on an entirely different winding stair, ice-covered branches brushing against your shoulders in place of the fire-hued leaves that shaded the earlier path.

e8de368f49c85cc287ce1f132994f7d5.jpg
Phil listens quietly as the group discusses possible strategies, nodding here and there.

His brow furrows into a frown when talk turns to burning or starving out Thurnbarch and his minions.

"Fire could be a useful tool, though less so if Thurnbarch is able to bring the Cold Woman's magic to bear. Might be he could stop the flames from spreading too far. And you'll need to be mindful of time -- if he's got a larder filled, your kin will be frozen and the Winter King on the march by the time he's hungry enough to venture out."

The korred pulls at his beard thoughtfully. "Not sure what would lure the ratmen out of their hole. But you might be better confronting Thurnbarch below, where he has less room to maneuver. In the open air, he can grow as large as he likes, bounding around the battlefield bringing slaughter. Inside, well, he can't swell larger than the hall will hold, and he'll be slowed mightily if he puffs himself too near to that."

Phil shivers, and you notice the air has grown colder. "He's not the sort you want to encounter in a narrow hole in the ground, that's sure, but above, on a battlefield, he's been known to grow tall as a giant and carve furrows in the ground that sprouted crops the next year, watered by all the blood that was spilled."

Any chance to respond to that is lost as Phil announces your arrival. You realize, belatedly, that the stair has disappeared behind you. Stepping through another toran, you are bombarded by howling wind and snow.

Shouting to be heard over the storm, Phil waves you on.

"We're close now. The eye of the storm is only about 30 paces on. Count your steps and don't wander and you should find it soon enough. I'm afraid I can't accompany you -- any farther, and Thurnbarch is likely to sense my presence as he did the pixies. I'll be here -- when the storm settles, I'll know you've succeeded and I'll come to you then."

Left unsaid is what happens if you don't.

Prodding with his staff if needed, he points the way and watches as you lean into the storm.

You fear you may freeze as soon as he drops out of your sight, but as promised, 30 paces farther on the wind drops off abruptly and the flurry of snow clears ahead of you. In the calm eye of the storm, a ruined tower rises between the trees before you. Ice and snow cover the worn stones, and you can see that little remains of the tower's interior. As you approach, you can see shadowed opening on the lower level, a dark threshold leading into the ruins below.

1a97f9fa7cfd483f8a345d7ea7feffba.jpg

Go ahead and make a Vigor check against the Cold. The roll is -2 if you don't have a heavy winter cloak/clothing. Failure gives you a level of Fatigue. However, once within the eye of the storm you can easily build a fire among the tumbled stones, allowing anyone that needs to to warm up and remove Fatigue levels at double the normal rate (so 1 every half hour).

Otherwise, make plans and take action outside as you wish. If/when you decide to head below, we'll use the Exploration rules I outlined here. That means designating a leader/caller (Vesper is probably the default, based on how things have played out) and letting me know where your character will be in the marching order: scout (at the front), vanguard (in the middle) or rear-guard.

In addition, whoever is in possession of the brass compass:
Now that you've emerged from the realm of the Autumn King and back into the "real world," the brass compass you discovered in the shepherd's cave seems to hum slightly in your pocket. When you take it out, you notice that the needle of the compass, which earlier had pointed 15 or 20 degrees east of true north, now points south-southeast, back out into the storm and toward the wintry gloom of the Weald.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

When they left the hollow with the pixie, Gamil had discovered that the chill had not effected him much. Curious about the reason why, as many of the village youth shivered in the cold, Gamil started examining his gear for an explanation.

He inspected each piece of his equipment, until he came across the Shroud of Vecna.

Environmental Protection
, he curses under his breath. "Well that explains a lot. Should likely expect more of that in the future."

Touching the rune just below his neck, a rouch cut snowflake inside a circle, he channels out the effects.

"Hopefully this should help you all till we get somepace warmer."
Weird Science (Rune Casting) 1d8!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 PPE 2 Base + 6 Others other than Gamil
Last edited by Gamil on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Vigor 4
Vigor 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Kaya gasps in surprise at the sudden snowstorm, though she is still thankful for the winter clothes she'd grabbed before they left the village. Trudging through the deep snow and battling the howling wind every step of the way, she is glad when the eye of the storm is finally reached and calmness descends once more.

"So our options are limited." Kaya says out loud once everyone had made it through. "Perhaps we ought to sneak in and see what things we can turn to our advantage?"

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Vigor 15
-2 difficulty
Vigor 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [17!!]-2 = 15
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys listened to Phil as they emerged into the howling blizzard. She ducked into her hood and turned her back to the wind as she listened, but braved the cold.

“Thank you for getting us here, Phil,” Vesper said.

There was a humming in Vesper’s belt pouch, and she pulled out the old broken compass. It now pointed southwest, back out into the storm and the weald. “Curious,” she mused.

“Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”

“I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.

[Vesper will take rearguard]
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5c ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Vigor vs the cold 12
Vigor: d10-2( gave her winter coat to the pixie) 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 4]+[4] = 18 = total 14-2=12
Lelya Spriggins accepted the tear with great humility. She placed the tear in her breast pocket beneath her leather armor. Against the cold she looked out of place having given her cloak to someone more in need. But if anything she stood taller than normal against the frosty chill. There was a job to be done and armed with her father’s sword, and enchanted shield she would see it done through the strength of her friends.

During the respite she nodded warmly at the dwarve. “Thank you for the warmth master Gamil. We should move on least the magic of your enchantment fade. If no other will take the forward position, I can handle it. If not Perhaps I would best suited to the mid, that way I can easily move to the rear of fore as needed.”

While not super sneaky or observant she was no slouch. Plus if something was going to strike unexpected she would rather it be against herself than any others.

Interesting to note: she is now size one... Perhaps it was the tear or something she ate with the pixies?
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Tribe of One wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 pm
"Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place."
Halt makes no effort to to hide a derisive snort at the sentimental metaphor.

When they arrive, Halt immediately starts carefully scouting around the the grounds of the tower. Just because the Fey said there was only one entrance, doesn't mean that there actually is only one entrance. Halt doesnt know much about Fey, but from what he has heard, they shouldnt always be taken at their word.
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am
“Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”
"It would be best to head in as soon as we can. The longer we stay, the more likely they are to notice our presence. Rats are nocturnal, so we will probably have an advantage to head in while its still daytime."

Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am
“I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.
"I'll scout ahead. We wont be in the woods like I am used to, but I should be able to pass unseen. If nothing else, I've got a kind of a supernatural ability to sense when something is off"

[Halt will scout]
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 3 / 3

Discovery Points: 1


Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Seeing as Halt volunteered to take the lead, Layna falls to the rear of the party, keeping her eyes and ears open for anything that might try to sneak up on them.

She doesn’t have much to add to the discussion, other than a quick, ”Okay, let’s go, then.”

[rear guard]
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1126
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

With Gamil's rune magic shielding you from the worst of the cold, you take a few moments the examine the outside of the ruins and ice-covered doorway leading into darkness.

The fallen tower proves to be just as empty as it did on first sight and you find no other entrances in the crumbling ruins.

Even within the eye of the storm, chaotic breezes carry a dusting of snow, which drifts in thick piles near the entrance and obscure any recent signs of passage. Here and there, you spot dark patches of pink and crimson ice which you suspect to be frozen blood. The howling wind blocks out any sound coming from within, but you catch the occasional whiff of dust, rot and animal musk on the warmer air that issues forth from the passage. Anyone attuned to the arcane can sense the flow of elemental magic seeping out from below to power the storm.

As the wind whistles at your back, you take the first few steps inside, pausing to let your eyes adjust; the wintry light at your back illuminates the nearest rooms well enough, but the dim glow won't follow you far underground.

Map1.JPG
Leaves and crumbling stone are piled up haphazardly just inside the entrance, and a stone passageway splits off to the right immediately, extending farther than the meager light from outside can reach. Despite the shadows, you can make out several sets of clawed prints in the dust, consistent with the rat-men the pixie described.

Ahead, two openings beckon, the doors that might once have blocked passage long since lost in the splintered mess of rubbish on the floor.

The doorway to the west might have once been a cloak room, judging from the sagging remains of wooden racks that rise from the pile of decayed cloth and rotting wood on the floor. If anyone disturbs the pile, a bedraggled rat -- of the common, four-legged variety -- emerges, screeching in protest, before burrowing back into a safer corner. A few rusty and broken swords can be spotted in the debris, as well as a pair of just barely serviceable daggers hanging from a rat-chewed belt, but nothing of value is obvious from a cursory search.

The eastern passage leads into an area furnished like a sitting room. Time has been kinder to the furnishings here, which include a pair of stuffed chairs upholstered in thick hide and a small couch, arranged around a low wooden table. All are scratched and covered in a thick layer of dust, but more or less intact. There is, however, a sharp, bitter odor in the air -- one that reminds you of a smoldering fire or a recently extinguished match.

One object in the room stands out from the rest: on the table is an old, yellowed skull, painted with strange symbols in fading ink. Atop the skull is a black tallow candle. The wax at the base of the candle appears to have been melted to mount it on the skull, but the wick is fresh and unlit.

Additional rooms extend to the north and east of the sitting room, but you can make out little detail in the fading light. The acrid smell seems to be stronger to the east; to the north, the stench of an animal den dominates.

Feel free to describe your actions as you inspect the initial area, and include any appropriate rolls (Notice to search, etc.). When you're ready to move on, Vesper can call the direction and Halt can make a Stealth roll for the group (which might be modified based on the amount of time you spend searching and how noisy you get ...).

You'll also need some sort of light source if you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark as you progress deeper inside.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 9
Notice 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys peered into the dimly lit room, taking in the cloak room and sitting room. “Anyone have a spare hand?” she asked. “We’re going to need light.” Vesper pulled a torch off her back. She only had one. She dug out her flint and steel and lit the torch. She lifted it high to illuminate the room as they looked around. She drew her father’s longsword. She couldn’t use her bow if she had to carry the torch.

Vesper moved to the center of the room by the table to examine the skull. “Gamil, you know runes. What do you make of this? And Janelle. You do magic. What do you think?”

As the magically inclined studied the skull, Vesper scanned the room.

Torch (3600 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
"I can take a torch." Kaya replies. "Least it won't be blinding everyone in the lead."

Kaya also glanced round the room, trying to spy anything that stood out to her.

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Layna, undeterred, grabs the knives and their rat-chewed belt and throws them across her body like a bandolier.

She does her best to keep quiet as she moves.
Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[1] = 6
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet

Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”