The Cold Light of Morning

Tribe of One

The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Tribe of One »

The sights and sounds of the harvest festival dance through your head as you crawl into bed, memories made among good friends settling into place as crickets and a soft autumn wind lull you to sleep.

Some time in the night, a chill creeps into your dreams. A cold wind blows in, carried on dark shadows. Wings flutter just out of sight and ravens call, all but drowning out a woman's hopeless sobbing. Branches rattle and crack and you sense something approaching, slowly, slowly, as the blood in your veins turns to ice ...

You awake, bright light streaming through the shutters. The images from your dream fade -- but the cold does not. Your breath steams and frost gathers on the thick glass windows.

Struggling into your boots and whatever clothing you find at hand, you stumble outside, only to find the Hirstwall you returned to last night replaced with one pulled from the depths of winter. Thick snow is falling and already has blanketed the village in icy powder half a hand deep.

rt988863rrrp.jpg

"Breath of the Lady, what is this?" your neighbor exclaims, peering out his own frost-riddled door. "Have we all caught the Slumbering Sick, and slept right through to solstice?"

Others mutter and curse, fingers working into the sign against sorcery, calling out to those nearby in concern and consternation.

"Creighton's done it, mark my words. Saw the old sot hike a leg on the Wall t'other day, damn well soaked the stones, he did."

The muttering continues, fear kept barely at bay, as the villagers wrap themselves in coats and blankets and trudge through the unnatural snow toward the north end of the town, where an open stretch of ground between the steward's manor and the little chapel to the Lord and Lady serves as a de facto town square.

"Well, what in the twice-blighted blazes is going on then? Have you forgotten an offering, or mixed up the prayers at the moon's turn?" Bron Smith growls, still gripping the iron poker he's used to stir up the dying cinders of his forge.

Handmaid Dynia, the young priestess in charge of the chapel, blinks in confusion.

"Prayers to the, the moon? I d-don't ..." she stammers. "No, I ... I'm not sure. I can perform a reading, consult the Lady's tears ..."

"Don't need tears to feel which way the wind blows, girl." The Widow Helmsly's voice cracks like a whip. As if on cue, the villagers turn in unison, faces pointing into the cold wind as it blows in.

From the north. From the Weald.

The ancient forest is only a black line on the horizon from here, but you can make out the dark smudge of stormclouds over the trees, all but hidden by the veil of falling snow.

"Stones protect us, then, if that's the cause," Bron Smith says, careful not to stare too long at the far off timber. "But let's not be fool enough to stand here freezing when there's fires to be kindled. We've not much kindling put back yet. Miller ... what say you we organize a couple of men to gather the scrap from the old mill? Otherwise we'll be burning dung to warm ourselves."

"Work details can wait a moment." The woman's voice carries the easy confidence of command and brings everyone to a standstill. Alice Macron, the steel-haired former captain of the guard, scans the crowd with her one eye. "Is everyone accounted for? Did anyone stay behind at the festival last night?"

A murmur runs through the crowd as the villagers take account. It isn't long before a panicked woman's voice rises above the chatter.

"My Aron's gone, and his father. They ran the flock to the far fields last night, across the river." Eyes turn again to the north as she speaks. Several shudder, imagining the fate of the shepherds caught out in the snow. Macron cuts off the dire predictions with a stern look.

"Don't fret. I'm sure they found a place to shelter overnight, and are likely warmer than us with their sheep for companions. I'm sure we can find someone to go fetch them once the work details are shared out."

Her gaze drifts across the crowd, lingering on the Tender, Jaenelle, and a few other village youth she's befriended over the years.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Gamil

Re: The Cold Light of Morning

Post by Gamil »

Gamil was not to far behind Bron Smith and as he went to threaten the Handmaid Dynia, Gamil grasped his forearm, "There is enough fear and panic amongst the villagers. Bloodshed will only increase the fear and panic. We need to trust each other."

Not really understanding the look his landlord gave him, Gamil took it as exceptence of the facts. Gamil had been residing in the blacksmith's forge for the last few winters as a reminder of his home far away.
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle sighs when she wakes up, concern about the weather and its cause balanced against the fact that the hole in her roof hadn't been tended to, yet, and so she has to sweep a bunch of snow out the door. As a result, she's a bit behind most folks arriving at the town square, and takes up her customary position at the fringes of the meet, anyway. She's about to speak up in defense of Dynia--she knows full well the Handmaid, while young, is quite attentive to her duties--when Gamil intervenes, and she smiles to herself, relieved both at Bron's attention being turned from the young woman, and at her ability to remain outside the action for the moment.

Of course, when Macron speaks, Jaenelle understands the meaning of her gaze, and she withdraws from the crowd immediately. When the others--Macron made it clear there would be others, and Jaenelle's pretty sure she can guess the names of at least a few of them--eventually arrive at the gate ready to go look for Aron, they'll find her already waiting there, dressed as best she can for the winter, and ready to accompany them.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown
Vespernys du Lac

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys yawned and stretched, and then shivered. She looked to the fireplace in her bedroom to see the fire was down to embers. Slipping from bed, she broke the thin layer of ice from the washbasin and splashed her face, the icy water bringing her instantly awake.

A knock on her door, and Vesper called out, “Come!” Clara, her lady’s maid, entered with a load of wood and immediately moved to the hearth.

“Lord and Lady, milady!” the young girl said, stoking the fire. “Have you seen outside?”

“No, what?” Vesper asked, going to the window and throwing open the heavy curtains. Frost covered the pain, making it difficult to see, but the entire town was blanketed in snow. She shivered. “This is entirely too early. We only just had the harvest festival,” she said, rubbing her arms until Clara brought her warm robe.

Vespernys left the window and went to her dressing table. She sat as Clara worked the braids out of her long chestnut hair and combed it. “And what do you wish to wear today, milady?” Clara asked.

Vesper’s eyes went to her closet and she sighed. In this weather, her fighting leathers would be better, but alas, she was to be a proper lady. “The burgundy winter dress,” she told the maid. “Is mother up yet?”

“No, milady,” Clara said.

Vesper sighed. “Then I suppose it is up to me to get things organized.”

Soon Vespernys was dressed properly, her warm ermine cloak wrapped around her. It had to be pulled out of storage, and so still smelled of the preservative herbs to keep away the moths in the summer, since it hadn’t been properly aired, but it was warm.

Vespernys ventured out to the open space beyond the manor’s gatehouse where the villagers mingled with worried expressions.

“Everyone stay calm,” Vesper said, stepping up on what was affectionately termed the speaker’s stump, the large stump of an oak tree that had once fallen long ago and was too much of a hassle to organize a workforce to remove. Besides, it served a purpose as a sort of platform when her mother or herself addressed the villagers, or as a place for the local traveling priest to harangue the people over their sins, or occasionally a villager decrying the lord. By long tradition, anything said on the stump was immune to prosecution, though there was no law actually offering such protection.

“This snowfall is unexpected, yes, and early. But I am sure it is not unheard of.” Vesper looked to the older villagers, those longer lived with even longer memories than herself. “Watchman, get a head count, find out if anyone else is missing. Then organize assistance for anyone needing aid in digging out. And make sure Creighton isn’t lying in a ditch somewhere frozen solid. Bron, you and Cesara get a tarp or something and get Jaenelle’s roof fixed, or at least the hole covered. Jaenelle, if you need to, I will talk to Lady du Lac and find a room for you in the manor until it is fixed. Alice, get the rescue party organized to go out after the shepherds. Jack, if you would, perhaps have some mulled wine available in the tavern today for anyone to come in and get warm.. Put it on the manor’s account. Handmaid Dynia, perhaps you and the Widow Helmsly could take the children to the hills outside town for some sledding and winter fun, keep them from underfoot.”

Vesper looked out over the crowd. “Is there anything else?”

Good, hearty frontier folk didn’t stand idle when there was work to be done, and now everyone went off to dig the village out from under the snow. Vespernys stepped off the speaker’s stump and headed back into the gatehouse, where Clara handed her a mug of mulled wine for warmth.

“Thank you, Clara,” Vesper said as they headed inside.

“Your mother is in the breakfast nook,” Clara said. “And what would milady like to do after breakfast? Shall I set out your needlework?”

Vesper sighed. “No. I am going out to help,” she told Clara.

Clara frowned. “Lady du Lac will not approve, milady.” She took Vesper’s cloak and hung it in the entry hall.

“No doubt, but nevertheless…” It was a familiar argument with her mother. “Fetch me a sausage on a roll for breakfast in my room, and a skin of brandy.”

Clara gave Vesper an odd look, but she was used to such odd requests.

Vespernys had Clara loosen her corset and dress while she munched on the sausage roll and then dismissed the girl, ostensibly changing into a work dress. In reality, she pulled out a leather bag from under some loose floorboards and put on the men’s clothes and green cloak, pulling out her bow, a quiver of arrows, a suit of light chainmail, and a pack. She dressed hurriedly and then pushed open the window, climbing out of the manor, careful not to fall out of the tree as she climbed down.

The Green Hood appearing about the village in daylight was unusual, but she tried to keep out of sight as she made her way toward the gates where the group of searchers was gathering under the direction of Jaelle. Of course, unknown to Vesper, the identity of the Green Hood was probably the worst kept secret in the village.

The Green Hood slipped out from behind a shed near Jaenelle. “I would like to help,” the Hood said, Vesper keeping the hood down to obscure her features, trying to sound like a man.

Parry: 7; Toughness: 8 (3)
Bennies: 4/3
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Academics 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [2] = 2

Gamil looks at the stump that Vesper is standing on. "The past maybe inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil taps the stump where he is looking at the rings of the tree.
Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna approaches Macron with familiarity. And why wouldn’t she, being her father’s daughter? Alice was a regular guest in their home.

”I’ll go, Alice. But you’ll need to keep ‘Da calm about it, and don’t worry, I promise to be on my best behavior. Community service and all that.” She gives Alice a grin and heads off, adventure (and avoiding wood hauling) on her mind.

She gathers what winter gear she needs and heads out, unsurprised to find @Jaenelle already waiting.
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 8(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Lelya Spriggins had just gotten back from the outskirts of town. It had been her luck to have to clean a neighbors house while the festival went on. She was tired, and now cold as the snap had settled in. But her weariness washed away when the cries of someone needing help met her ears. She hid her smile best she could. Someone needs saving... Looks like chores are going to have to wait. She always loved to help people, and a chance to play hero was all she needed. Blade gleaming on her back, and shinning buckler secure on her forearm she leaped into the snow toward the far field’s across the river! “Got it! I’ll grab them.”
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Kaya gasped in shock as the cold hit her after she'd warily climbed out of bed; there was frost ringing the window and door of her vardo. Wrapping a blanket round herself for warmth, she rubbed the glass of the window and peered out to find the village in the depths of winter. Not good.

Most in the village had barely begun the necessary preparations needed before the onslaught of the hard grip of winter, Kaya herself still had a list of herbs she'd wanted to gather in addition to stocking up on firewood. Given how sudden and unexpected winter had come upon them, Kaya was doubtful that her meagre store of healing supplies would last any real length of time especially if a sickness fell on the villagers. Not good at all.

By the time Kaya had pulled out some winter clothing, a commotion had gathered towards the north end of the village. Unsurprisingly everyone else was up in arms over the unseasonal weather, no doubt looking for something to lay blame upon for a supposed curse on the village. She joined the back of the crowd just in time to hear news that a couple of shepherds had gone out after the festival the previous night and hadn't returned. The grizzled old warrior Macron had raised the suggestion of a search party and her glaze had fallen on Jaenelle and a few others, Kaya swore she'd felt the old woman's glaze linger on her at a potential volunteer.

"I best go in case either of them are hurt." Kaya called, stepping forward. "Or in case somebody else gets hurt whilst we're out."
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys stepped off the stump when Gamil the dwarf addressed her.

"The past may be inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil tapped the stump where he was looking at the rings of the tree.

“Oh? What do you mean, Mr. Gamil?” Vesper asked, thinking there was some obscure dwarf wisdom about to come forth. The stump had been here in front of the steward’s manor since it was built, before the time of her grandfather. It was older than her, and its tree had been older than the village when it was first founded here.

Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:42 am Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys stepped off the stump when Gamil the dwarf addressed her.

"The past may be inscribed here, Lady du Lac." Gamil tapped the stump where he was looking at the rings of the tree.

“Oh? What do you mean, Mr. Gamil?” Vesper asked, thinking there was some obscure dwarf wisdom about to come forth. The stump had been here in front of the steward’s manor since it was built, before the time of her grandfather. It was older than her, and its tree had been older than the village when it was first founded here.

Pointing to specific rings of the tree, "See how close these rings are," pointing to rings toward the center of the tree.

"A similar cold snap happened when the tree was very young. Without counting them, I would guess likely before the village was established."

The dwarf catches himself before diving into too much more detail. Looking at @Vespernys du Lac he sees the look in her eyes and understands exactly what she intends to do. With a nod of his head, "Good day to you, Lady du Lac."

Turning on his heal the dwarf disappears into the crowds before the crowds disperse. Time to check on the others.

Gamil has a pretty good idea of who will be showing up for the search party.
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt recognizes the unnatural nature of the chill in the air even before his eyes open. He rouses quickly, checks on the horses to make sure they have a little extra feed to compensate for the cold, and then joins the crowd gathered in the town.

"Joins" may be a strong term for what Halt does. As he approaches, no one calls greeting or acknowledges him in anyway, though some to make eye contact and pointedly turn away.

Sheesh...how long will it take these people to realize that nothing happened...

Halt eventually finds a knarled tree and leans against it, arms crossed, and listens to Vespers and Ole' Macron's speeches. As the crowd start to disperse Halt sees Elwyn and approaches her.

"Hows your family for supplies? A lot of folks are going to short on winter provisions if this sticks around."

"We are fine. The Taylor's family down the road seemed worried about their stores though. I was going to try and talk to father about giving them some flour to help them bridge the gap". She smiles, but the smile is just a little cold in a way that cuts through Halt's cloak deeper than the north wind.

"Elwyn I promise..." Halt starts

"I know... Nothing happened. I believe you. It's just... Elwyn's eyes track Vesper as she leaves the stump and head back up to the manner. She leaves the sentence hanging, not exactly sure how to finish. "Anyway, you better get going. You are going after the shepherd's right?"

That was Elwyn... always concerned more about others than herself.

Ugh...I guess someone is going to have to keep them from getting lost in the woods arent they?" He leans in a gives Elwyn a kiss on the cheek. "I'll come see you when we get back"

"For the Lady's sake Vesper, put down that ridiculous hood" Halt says as he walks down the path toward the gate where the search party is congregating. "I've followed you since you snuck out the window, and at least 3 villagers saw you coming down the path from your manor. If any of them are half as smart as they profess to be they will put two and two together realize that you are the "Green hood" Halt throws up quotations when speaking the name for good effect. Sarcastic as his tone may be, the smirk on his face shows that Halt is glad Vesper has decided to help look for the lost sheepherders.
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 3/ 3

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and Stealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature
Neil

Post by Neil »

Spellcasting 6; -2 PPE
Binodo's Metamorphasis (Disguise) 2 PP
Spellcasting 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
Bron's stomping about the smithy while spewing off half-muttered curses rouse Neil from his sleep. The young illusionist's sleepiness is shocked away by the unnatural cold. Throwing his clothes on, Neil pokes his head out and ask's Bron, "Is everything alright, Father?"

The blacksmith stomps about some more and yells, "I'll get to the bottom of this! Stoke the fire. A smith's work doesn't stop for the cold, boy."

Neil rolls his eyes and spends a minute getting the fire started. It isn't a propper job, but it should keep him from getting in too much trouble. He slips out and joins the crowd well away from his father.

He listens to the crowd, Alice and Lady Vesper, then slips off back to the smithy to gather some adventuring equipment, Binodo's tome, and to write a letter for his fiance. Priscilla would be more cross with Neil than his father for running off on a whim, but she would forgive him knowing he did it for the village.

Unwilling to wait any longer for fear of missing this opportunity for adventure, Neil rushed out of the house before his father could return. He took a detour to slip his note under the Millers' door, and ran to join the others at the gate.

Halt wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:48 am "For the Lady's sake Vesper, put down that ridiculous hood" Halt says as he walks down the path toward the gate where the search party is congregating. "I've followed you since you snuck out the window, and at least 3 villagers saw you coming down the path from your manor. If any of them are half as smart as they profess to be they will put two and two together realize that you are the "Green hood" Halt throws up quotations when speaking the name for good effect. Sarcastic as his tone may be, the smirk on his face shows that Halt is glad Vesper has decided to help look for the lost sheepherders.
Nothing gets spirits up like a well played, good-natured trick. Before @Vespernys du Lac has a chance pull her hood down, Neil softly breaths out a word of power and just barely twitches his fingers. Ambient magic twists and molds to Neil's whims, and Vesper's features shift as her visage takes on more masculine facial structures.

Cocking his eyebrow at @Halt Neil says, "Surely our lady isn't the Green Hood, Halt. Lady Vesper always seems so well-meaning and propper. I can't imagine her skulking about at night like a ruffian."
Neil Smith
Neil Smith, Self-Taught Mage
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 5(1)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 1/2; PPE: 8/10
Bennies: 1/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vesper’s heart skips a bit at the look Gamil gave her. Did he know she was the hood? Or the other secret she kept even more hidden, that she had been the anonymous fighter at the tournament last year that had killed his competitor? It had been an accident, and Vesper made sure that the man’s family was taken care of -- anonymously -- but that didn’t make her fear and shame any less.

Vespernys had to put aside her fears of what the inscrutable dwarf knew to become the Green Hood. She had just volunteered when Halt walked up and called her out. She blushed beneath her hood as her archery teacher called her out, and reluctantly reached up to pull back the hood.

“How long have you known?” she asked, dropping the attempt at a masculine voice, not realizing her features had been disguised. She looked a bit like Vespernys if one squinted, only male, her green eyes still standing out. She looked at the others with embarrassment. “Did the rest of you know?”

"Surely our lady isn't the Green Hood, Halt. Lady Vesper always seems so well-meaning and proper. I can't imagine her skulking about at night like a ruffian," Neil said.

Vesper blushed. “I cause my mother enough grief,” she said. “I sought to try and do good without causing her more embarrassment,” she tried to explain. “And I didn’t want to give up my bow. I’m <i>good</i>,” she said insistently. “And I am terrible at embroidery.”

Gamil

Post by Gamil »

"Come know Vesper," Gamil said in a low voice, "When it comes to resources for doing good in the community, the du Lac's still have the means."

"Others may not care, just as long as the Green Hood continues to provide inspiration and excitement."
Halt

Post by Halt »

The look of shock is plain on Halts face when Vesper lowers her hood. At least until she starts to speak in her own voice.

Halt looks around and sees Neil coming down the path, and gives the illusionist his best scowl, which is surprisingly effective despite Halts youthful face.

"Damn wizards..." Halt mutters, before pulling out and stringing his bow.
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:03 am
“I cause my mother enough grief,” she said.
"Bah.... Would that there were more nobles tried causing your kind of grief. We'd all be a lot better off." Halt says as he puts his weight onto the bowstaff, flexing it into a nice arch. He slides the string in place and whips the bow around on his back.

"In no small part due to the fact many wouldn't survive the attempt" Halt grumbles.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Halt wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:00 am"In no small part due to the fact many wouldn't survive the attempt" Halt grumbles.
"There'll be no more talk of that," One-Eye Macron barks, her scowl threatening the swallow the leather patch over her left eye. "Do your duties and everyone survives."

She looks at the group gathered outside the village wall, five young women, two young men and a dwarf older than the rest combined.

"You're up to it, no doubt. Not that we've a choice, with the duke gone west with all the fighting men and no telling when they'll return," she says, shifting her weight off the twice-broken leg that kept her away from the most recent campaign.

"Listen close, because though there's nothing natural about this snow, being stupid will kill you faster than the cold. Keep your wits about you -- the weather may not be the only thing gone odd-ways, especially if it's come from the wood ... be quick, find the shepherds and their flock, and get them back to the village. Seeing them home will warm your neighbors as well as wood in the hearth, so don't dally. We'll have a kettle on when you get back."

She nods, and watches your group as you trudge north to the river bridge. The span is slick with frozen spray from below, and you take care crossing. On the other side, fresh snow lies several inches deep across the fields, but the well-worn shepherd's path into the hills is easy enough to follow, the shallow trench carved by hundreds of hooved feet over the years.

It's not long before you find yourselves wishing for hooves of your own -- your feet sink deep in the fresh snow, which lies several inches deep over the thick, dry grass of late autumn. You're breathing hard before long, clouds of steam trailing after as you trudge through the deep powder.

[Absent another appropriate skill use, each character needs to succeed on a Vigor check or else pick up a level of Fatigue.]

The sun has climbed high in the sky when you find yourselves on the hilly outskirts of the Tumulheights. You've seen numerous signs that the flock passed this way -- a tuft of wool caught on a log, a bootprint preserved by an overhanging shelf of rock. They must be close, you reason, remembering that the boy, Aron, mentioned that he and his father sometimes camped for the night with the flock among the tumbled stones.

You hear them before you see them -- and the sound is one that sends a chill past your layered clothing. Aron's voice, carried on the wind, cries for help, as the angry howls of a wolf pack echo off the rock walls.

Hurrying along the slippery path, you round the side of the hill and spot the boy, perched atop a weathered column of rock. Below, his father stands in the mouth of a shallow cave, swinging his crook desperately as he tries to fend off nearly a dozen slavering wolves, which seem possessed by some unnatural bloodlust.
winter-662428_1280.jpg

The icy path to the cave is treacherous. As the wolves and the shepherds come into view, you're about 30 inches away.

With an Athletics check, you can halve the distance; a success at Athletics -2 lets you close within 8 inches of the wolves. Failure on either check results in a tumble that leaves you Distracted and Vulnerable during the first round of combat.

You can take other actions, such as casting a spell or something similar, applying a MAP as normal (and counting the Athletics check as your first action). If you maintain position on the hill and don't move, you can ready a weapon and Aim, gaining the bonus in the first round of combat.

I'll draw for initiative once everyone has posted and battle positions are clear.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Vigor 9
Vigor 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 3] = 9
"Distract those wolves."

"I am heading up after the shepherds and their flock."

Weird Science, Hand of Vecna, Burrow 9, Move 5
Burrow + Power Modifier (3 PPE)
17 PPE Remaining

Weird Science 1d8!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [2] = 2

Benny to Reroll ( 2 of 3 remaining)

Weird Science 1d8!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 3] = 9
Last edited by Gamil on Tue May 19, 2020 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Vigor 3, Athletics 3; +1 Fatigue, -1 Benny
Vigor: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny to Reroll
Vigor Reroll: 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild Reroll: 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Athletics d4!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
GM Said no spells this round
Spellcasting Action 1
Binodo’s Sensational Sensory Spectacular (Confusion) (-1 PP) + Area of Effect (MBT; -2 PP) + Selective (-1 PP)
Spellcasting: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild: 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Benny to Reroll
Spellcasting Reroll: 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild Reroll: 1d6!!-1: [10!!]-1 = 9
  • Confusion confounds a target, making him both Distracted and Vulnerable if he fails a Smarts roll (at −2 with a raise on the arcane skill roll). Both states are removed at the end of the victim’s next turn.
The bitter cold is not kind to Neil. He begins losing feeling in his face and the biting winds sap his strength. By the time the group encounters the wolves harrying their fellow villagers, Neil's fingers are nearly too numb to cast his spells.

Neil hears Gamil ask for someone to distract the wolves and responds, "I can do that! I just need to get closer..."

The footing is treacherous, and Neil is not the surefooted athletic type like many of his friends. He approaches slower but doesn't risk slipping or taking his eyes off of the wolves ahead. If he can just get a little closer, he can attempt to distract the wolves for Gamil...
Neil Smith
  • Sense Magic: Gain the detect/conceal arcana power. The detect arcana function (only) may be used at-will, with no PP cost, as an action. (Note: If the character has Sense Magic but lacks Spell Casting, only the detect arcana function is available, and is activated with a Spirit roll.)
Edit Signature
Vespernys du Lac

Vigor 1d6! Wild 1d6!: [4]+[5] = 9

Hirstwall
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

"When it comes to resources for doing good in the community, the du Lac's still have the means," Gamil said.

Vespernys gave a wan smile to the dwarf, but said nothing. There was a reason they had moved out of the castle and down into the steward’s manor. Their finances were less than many assumed. But they still had to put on a good face, and not embarrass themselves when other nobles came through. That didn’t happen often out here on the frontier, thank the Lord and Lady.

Vesper blushed at Halt’s praise at her skills and do-goodery. He’d helped train her, so his praise meant more.

Vesper listened carefully to Alice Macron’s instructions. She nodded and pulled her hood up again against the wind, resettled her pack on her back and her quiver at her hip, and headed out with the others.

The bridge was icy, and the snow was deep, making it difficult to move. Soon Vesper was puffing away with the others as they plowed through the snow, taking turns at being at the front of the line and snowbreaking as they walked in the path of the others in front of them.

Vesper and the others pushed on into the hills, following the small traces of the shepherds. They heard shouting and scrambled up a rise, seeing the pair of lost shepherds and their sheep boxed in by a dozen frenzied wolves.

“Lord and Lady, that’s a lot of wolves,” Vesper murmured, yanking her gloves off with her teeth and readying her bow, making sure her dagger was loose in its sheath in case the predators closed. She dropped her pack to the snow to make sure it didn’t burden her.

“I’ll cover you,” Vesper told the others as she drew her longbow back to her cheek, taking careful aim at the wolves below, trying to pick out the alpha.
Turn
Taking AIM maneuver to ignore 4 points of penalties. Staying on the hill for now 30”

Lelya Spriggins

Athletics(free runner) vs Fatigue: 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild: 1d6!: [1] = 1
Athletics to close the distance vs wolves:-2+2 from free runner 1d8!: [5] = 5
Wild: 1d6: [1] = 1

Spriggins it turns out was spry.

On the way there Lelya instead of trugging through the snow leaped from snow powdered rock to skinny tree as if she had spent her time when not cleaning a house or shepherding out in the fields and woods practicing for this kind of arduous trek. Her father’s sword lightly clinked against the buckles of her leather armor, and her shinning buckler caught the sun’s light here and there casting a dazzling reflection onto the ground at times during this journey to find the wayward father and son.

Upon seeing the wolves caught by some kind of unnatural blood lust Lelya whispered, in part remembering the words last heard in their home. “Its as if the cold changed them... Unnatural” She shook her head for a moment gathering the courage needed: the courage her fatherJack once shown. With a quick nod to @Gamil and a wry smile to @Vespernys du Lac she took to jumping and leaping over gnarled rock jutting out of the cold snow toward the wolves. Her lithe atheltic form made it look like some kind of eerie ballet. Perched atop whatever crag she could leap too she drew her father’s mightly blade and clanged it broadside against her shield trying to draw the wolves’ attention.

Clang! Clang! She cried forth at the top of her thinking for the briefest moments if her father had felt she when he faced his giants,”We are here Wolves! The heroes of Hirstwall have come, and many are fat from feasting!” Clang!Clang!
Perform: 1d8: [7] = 7
@Tribe of One Perform Skill for oratory? basically trying to distract the wolves or get them to come after her rather than the Shepard's. Just let me know what skill please.
Stats

Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Vigor 1d6!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3

Athletics 1d6!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!-1: [4]-1 = 3

Unfortunately for Kaya, it proved far more bitingly cold than she'd expected even with with warmest clothes she could find in her vardo. Before long her teeth was chattering and and she held her arms tight in hopes of trying to keep halfway warm. Though trudging through the snow was starting to take it's toll and she forged onwards in hopes of finding shelter.

Instead they found wolves.

In turn the pack of wolves, more bigger and savage than anything Kaya had ever seen before, had found the missing shepherds. It meant that the village youths had found their quarry, though now it was to be a savage battle of survival against the beasts. She noticed Lelya calling out to try and get the wolves' attention, trying to distract them away from the shepherds. There was an awful lot of the beasts, but distracting and splitting them up into smaller groups might just be the key to defeating them.

Kaya whistled loudly and joined Lelya in trying to distract the wolves. "Oi! Furballs! Over here!"

Performance 1d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 1d6!+1: [6!, 3]+1 = 10
Layna

Post by Layna »

The weather is bitterly set against them, but
Vigor: 1d6!!: [2] = 2 , Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
"We must be getting near to them by now," she says, right before they begin hearing the wolves.

Seeing the rocky way forward, Layna trusts in her balance and her stealth to try and get as close as possible without attracting the attention of the wolves.
Taking a MAP to try and close the distance and make a stealth check at the same time. Athletics 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9 , Stealth 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 , Benny to reroll 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
; hopefully, her compatriots are loud enough that the wolves take no notice of little Layna creeping up, a dagger in each hand.
Layna
Untested Thief
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt smothers the instinctive retort to Macron's rebuke. She'd knocked him on his ass more than once for his smart mouth. Besides, despite their frequent disagreements about the relative usefulness of nobles, Halt respected Macron. She had a hard attitude sure, but she was sensible and didn't beat around any bushes, no matter how thorny they may be.

Instead he pulls up the hood of his cloak and takes the back position of the column trudging through the snow.

Going to have to take the lead when we start looking for tracks. No point in tiring myself out now

Vigor 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Halt pulls an arrow and rushes forward at the sound of the frightened shepherd boy. He slows up as he sees wolves, taking in the villagers predicament.

Smart kid, but what the hell is his dad doing trying to fight the wolves at that cave entrance? What is he, protecting the sheep. Fool, let the damn wolves have em...

Halt hesitates a moment, deciding whether to attempt the path down the trail. If he moves now, he will get closer to the wolves, which is never a good thing, but he will also get a better shot. And the sooner they can drop some wolves the better. Of course, if they dont come any closer, he'll be at the far end of his range. He'll be as likely to his the others and one of the wolves. Besides...Halt isnt the most graceful individual, and the last thing he wants is to end up on is back surrounded by a pack of wolves.

Halt takes a deep breath and starts down the slope trying carefully to place his feet on areas not slick with ice.

Athletics 1d6!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Before the departure:

Jaelle smiles at Vesper's offer to have her roof fixed. "Thank you, m'lady; as I am to be in the field later, I suspect that the repairs will be done in time that I need not impose upon your hospitality--but the offer is, even so, greatly appreciated."

When the group begins to gather at the gate, still gently ribbing one another, she raises a brow, and nods to Vesper. "You should put the hood back up. Whilst many do know the truth, it is different to be forced to acknowledge the truth so plainly. So long as any can say they do not know for certain who the Green Hood is, or where the Lady Vesper has been spending her time, then the lord need not expend too much thought on the matter, yes?"

Vigor 11
Vigor 1d8: [5] = 5
Wild Vigor 1d6: [6] = 6 ACE 1d6!+6: [5]+6 = 11
Okay, exploding isn't automatic, good to know.

Casting Protection: 1 PPE base, Additional Targets +7 (whole group), Toughness +1, Extra Armor +1
Spellcasting 1d10!: [5] = 5
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!: [1] = 1

Success: All targets gain +4 Toughness for the next 5 rounds.
Jaenelle is largely unperturbed by the cold wind and exertion--Alice Macron is not a woman to molly-coddle a student, and those drills were as much about improving the younger woman's endurance as they were about teaching actual swordplay.

She runs with the others upon hearing Aron's cries, but pulls up short at the sight of the wolves. Instead of attempting to insert herself into the fray immediately, she hangs back, speaking a few words of power, calling upon ancestors of each of her allies--and her own, for that matter--to provide them all with protection against tooth and claw. As her companions move forward or go on the offense in other ways, they find themselves clad in ethereal armor--weightless, but offering profound defense.

Feeling her magic completely spent, she then draws her blade, preparing to move forward.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Gear
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

donovan-valdes-wolvesntrees-01-dv.jpg
Wolves Win Initiative
Jaenelle 1d54: [1] = 1 = 2 Spades
Gamil 1d54: [11] = 11 = Queen of Spades
Kaya 1d54: [37] = 37 = Queen of Clubs
Halt 1d54: [50] = 50 = Queen of Diamonds
Vesper 1d54: [7] = 7 = 8 Spades
Neil 1d54: [49] = 49 = Jack of Diamonds
Lelya 1d54: [42] = 42 = 4 Diamonds
Layna 1d54: [1] = 1 = Reroll = 1d54: [35] = 35 = 10 Clubs

Wolves 1d54: [49] = 49 = Reroll = 1d54: [10] = 10 = Jack of Spades

Only three PCs beat the wolves Jack, so wolves go first.
Positions
  • High on the hill along the icy path (30 inches from the cave mouth): Vesper; Jaenelle;
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches from cave mouth): 5 rabid wolves Gamil (burrowing); Neil; Layna; Halt; Kaya;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): 6 rabid wolves; Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya;

The snarling of the wolves turns to howls as they sense your presence, the sound echoing from the snow-topped rocks at the bottom of the hill as the members of your party move down the path, some slowly, some swiftly. At the crest, Vesper nocks her bow while Jaenelle speaks the words of a spell meant to safeguard her companions against the pack's rabid fangs.

Sprinting down the icy trail like a billie goat, Lelya outpaces the rest of the group, arriving at the bottom of the hill as the wolves seem about to swarm over the shepherd. Clashing her sword against her shining shield, she tries to draw the beasts' attention -- and succeeds all too well as all but two turn toward her, their breath steaming in the cold.

Luckily, Kaya adds her own strong voice to the clamour, whistling and calling the wolves farther up the hill. Five sprint past Lelya then slow as they move to engage the other members of the group. Four stay behind, circling Lelya. The remaining two continue to harass and lunge at the exhausted shepherd, Graff, as his son cries out in distress.

Attacks
Four wolves attack Lelya with a +4 Ganging Up bonus.
Fighting 1 1d6+4: [3]+4 = 7
Fighting 2 1d6+4: [2]+4 = 6
Fighting 3 1d6+4: [6]+4 = 10 = Ace! = 1d6+10: [4]+10 = 14 = Hit with a Raise
Fighting 4 1d6+4: [5]+4 = 9

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!+1d6!!: [5]+[1]+[1] = 7 = Not enough to shake due to Protection

Two wolves attack Graff with a +2 Ganging Up bonus vs. the shepherd's Parry 5 +4 from Defending
Fighting 1 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 = Miss
Fighting 2 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 = Miss
The wolves surround Lelya, darting and nipping at her heels, but she fends them off with sword and shield. Eventually, one slips under her guard and sinks its fangs into her thigh, but the vicious bite is blunted by the force of Jaenelle's protective spell, leaving the lone warrior unscathed.

Graff, meanwhile, manages to beat back the remaining two wolves for a time, though his exhaustion is evident as the waves his quarterstaff back and forth, too tired even to shout.

You're up! See positioning above. Rather than messing with Pace and Running, you can move down a level witha an Athletics check, which counts as an action.

Wolves (11): Parry 5, Toughness 4
Vespernys du Lac

Shooting Wolf attacking shepherd 4, Damage 23
Shooting, -2 medium range, +2 Aim 1d10!!: [3] = 3 ; Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4 - Hit
Damage, heavy draw, weapon specialization +2 1d10!!+1d6!!: [6]+[15!!] = 21
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 1

Having taken the time to aim carefully, Vespernys sighted on one of the wolves harassing the shepherd. Her friends would have to fend for themselves as she protected those less able. She drew back the string of the bow, taking the time to pull back farther than normal for extra momentum on the arrow, and then loosed it at the wolf. The arrow pierced its heart just behind the front flank and kept going right on through into the snow beyond, dropping the beast.

Arrows: 19
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Actions
Fighting 1d6!!: [5] = 5 (-1 for Fatigue)
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4 (-1 for Fatigue)

Benny to re-roll

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [5]+[7!!] = 12
Was that such a good idea? Kaya pondered as the wolves came charging in her direction. Bit late now to reconsider.

With her rapier to hand, Kaya stood ready but thanks to the biting cold she felt a little clumsy. She went to swing at one of the closest wolves to her, though for a moment it looked like the blade of her weapon would do little more than catch some fur. Then the beast turned and Kaya's rapier connected and seemingly landed a telling strike for the wolf collapsed, momentum carrying it forward and down into the snow.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil follows the slope of the hill down and tries his best to understand the vibrations above him.
Weird Science 1d8!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Gamil gets he tries gage from memory where he could surprise the wolves near the shepherd and his son.
Weird Science (Elemental Manipulation + Double Modifier = 2 PPE ) Weird Science 1d8!!: [7] = 7 Wild 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
, Gamil tries to drop as many wolves into the hole as possible, where he waits with his axe.
Weird Science Test (Elemental Manipulation) 1d8!!: [7] = 7 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
, Gamil attempts to snare or trap a wolf. Just one will do.
Last edited by Gamil on Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Layna

Post by Layna »

Athletics 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Damage 1d6!! + 1d4!!: [1]+[2] = 3
Benny to reroll 1d6!! + 1d4!!: [5]+[13!!] = 18

With a practiced flick of her wrist, Layna sends a dagger flying through the air where it buries itself in the chest of one of the wolves nearest her. The animal drops without so much as a whimper, and Layna smoothly draws another of her various daggers.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Attacking a wolf, hit, and 17 damage
Fighting 1d10! 1d6!: [6]+[2] = 8
Damage: 2d8!: [3, 8!, 4] = 15 +2= 17!
Leyla found herself surrounded. Her father’s warning from the night before, You are too impulsive, and too heroic for your own good. Still rung in her ears. Still despite being surrounded she found herself hiding a smile. She relished a chance to put her skills to the test and fight alongside her friends. Would she have been so reckless without the magic which now protected her? Her shout of, “Come and taste steel wolf, Hirstwall’s best are at your backsides!” and thrust of her long sword was all the answer she needed.
Stats

Neil

Post by Neil »

Spellcasting Support (Fatigued, Distracted)
Spellcasting 1d8!!-3: [6]-3 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1

Closing in on his friends nearer to the cavern, Neil sees Lelya in trouble and tries to come to her aid with one of Binodo's cantrips - dancing lights. He thinks he can twist it to appear as flames to scare the wolves momentarily, but his fingers are too numb to properly cast the spell.

Neil spends several seconds shaking his hands and flexing his fingers in an attempt to get the blood flowing. He knows he won't be of any help to his friends if he can't get his magic working properly.
Neil Smith
Edit Signature
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt curses his luck. He would have stayed at the top of the hill if he had known Kaya was going to going to draw the wolves up the path!

Halt sees the the arrow from Vesper fly true, sinking into the flank of a wolf down by the shepherd. Halts aim is a little more self serving, and lets an arrow fly toward one of the wolves flying up the path.

Shooting 5
1d8: [5] = 5
1d6: [4] = 4
Damage 3
2d6: [1, 1] = 2
-1 bennie to re-roll
2d6: [2, 1] = 3
The arrow flies true, but the tip must have been blunted, for it slams into the side of the wolf without piercing the skin.
Dice rolls
1d8-2: [6]-2 = 4
1d6-2: [4]-2 = 2
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle frowns at the situation. It frustrates her, but without further magical reserves, she'll need to engage the wolves more directly--but tumbling down the icy hill and being sprawled at the feet of an angry wolf seems like a bad idea. So instead, she moves carefully, but swiftly, focusing all her attention on the descent, until she manages to catch up to Kaya and the others at the hill's midpoint.
OOC Comments
Only action is focusing on movement to make it to the halfway point without rolling.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Reaction Rolls + Initiative
Wolf Athletics vs. Gamil's magical grappling 1d8: [1] = 1 = Raise, Wolf if Bound & Entangled

Jaenelle 1d54: [31] = 31 = 6C
Gamil 1d54: [7] = 7 = 8S
Kaya 1d54: [32] = 32 = 7C
Halt 1d54: [40] = 40 = 2D
Vesper 1d54: [5] = 5 = 6S
Neil 1d54: [6] = 6 = 7S
Lelya 1d54: [2] = 2 = 3S
Layna 1d54: [34] = 34 = 9C

Wolves 1d54: [35] = 35 = 10C

Wolves go first.
The sharp, metallic tang of hot blood fills the frigid air as combat is joined. Vesper claims the first kill, her bow launching an arrow from the top of the hill with such force that it plunges through one of the wolves menacing Graff and emerges from the other side.

Kaya, halfway up the hill, impales another on her rapier, as Layna drop another with a thrown dagger.

Down below, Lelya fends off the four wolves circling her before darting forward to cut one down with an expert thrust.

Gamil, burrowing beneath the earth, manages to create a small sinkhole beneath the one wolf still attacking Graff, holding fast it's hind legs and preventing it from moving. [With a Raise, the wolf is Bound and Entangled.]

Struggling with frozen fingers, Neil botches his spell while Halt watches his arrow slide off his target's frost-tipped fur without effect.

Wolves won initiative and attack
Three wolves attack Lelya with a +2 Ganging Up bonus.
Fighting 1 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
Fighting 2 1d6+2: [5]+2 = 7
Fighting 3 1d6+2: [1]+2 = 3
All miss.

Wolf tries to wriggle free: Athletics 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Middle level wolves (3) attack Neil, Halt and Layna

Fighting vs. Neil 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 = Hit with a Raise!
Fighting vs Halt 1d6!!: [3] = 3 = Miss
Fighting vs. Layna 1d6!!: [5] = 5 = Miss

Damage vs. Neil 2d6!!+1d4!!: [9!!, 8!!]+[1] = 18
At the mouth of the cave, Graff is too exhausted to anything but lean on his staff as the single remaining wolf there struggles feebly to pull itself out of Gamil's earthen grasp. [Gamil needs a 2 or better on his opposed roll to keep the wolf Bound.]

Nearby, Lelya continues to fend off the trio of wolves that surround her, her blade and silver buckler blocking every attempt to get within her guard.

The three remaining wolves farthest up the hill split their attack amongst the targets carrying the least amount of bloodied steel: Neil, Layna and Halt. While the thief and the young woodsman manage to dance out of the way of the wolves' flashing fangs, Neil is not as swift -- bright red blood paints the snow as a wolf sinks its teeth deep into the tender flesh of the mage's leg! [A hit with a raise does 18 damage, good for 2 Wounds after accounting for Jaenelle's protective spell.]

Positions
  • High on the hill along the icy path (30 inches from the cave mouth): Vesper;
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches from cave mouth): 3 rabid wolves Gamil (burrowing); Neil; Layna; Halt; Kaya; Jaenelle;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): 4 rabid wolves; Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya;

You're up! See positioning above. Rather than messing with Pace and Running, you can move down a level with a an Athletics check, which counts as an action.

Wolves (7): Parry 5, Toughness 4
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil is nearly giddy. Mole tactics rewarded him with a pair of wolf back legs.
Grappling 1d8!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
to keep the wolf from scurrying out of the hole. Gamil almost laughs out loud thinking how ashamed the wolf would be after or if he escaped.

Because he is hanging onto both legs with his gauntled hands,
Athletics 1d4!!: [15!!] = 15 Wild 1d6!!: [20!!] = 20
towards where the wolf's front is in order to open up a bigger hole to drop the wolf in.

OOC Comments
I find it hard not to laugh at the wolf being taunted by his peers for falling into a hole he cannot climb out of.
Vespernys du Lac

Shooting 8; Raise
-2 range
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
Raise Damage 20
1d10!!+2d6!!+2: [4]+[3, 11!!]+2 = 20
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 12

Vespernys surveyed the battlefield for her next target. The shepherd Graff was safe for the moment, with the only wolf threatening him bound by magic. Neil was hurt, but had plenty of nearby friends. But Leyla was outnumbered and alone.

“Hang on, Neil!” Vesper encouraged the mage. “Be with you in a bit.” But she aimed for one of the wolves surrounding Leyla and loosed an arrow, again driving it through the wolf in question, which fell bleeding to the snow at Leyla’s feet, silent and still.

Bennies: 3/3
Arrows: 18
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Fighting 4
Fighting 1d6!!: [2] = 2 (gah, -1 for Fatigue)
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Benny to re-roll

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [9!!]+[3] = 12

Kaya was surprised when a wolf disappeared down a hole that had suddenly opened up beneath it's feet, though probably no more than the wolf was. It was distracting enough to cause Kaya's swing to falter and made her rapier catch some tuffs of fur rather than land a proper blow. The chill that had befallen her earlier was still upon her and making her limbs feel like lead.
Halt

Post by Halt »

Seeing Vespers second arrow fly true, Halt's eyes narrow in frustrated concentration. Unwilling to let his former student show him up,

Shooting 1d8!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Shooting 1d8!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Damage 2d6!: [1, 2] = 3

Bennie to reroll with elan
Shooting 1d8!: [3] = 3

One misses it's target while the other one flies true. However, in Halts rush he must have underdrew the string, as the tip bounces off the beasts thick hide.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Layna

Post by Layna »

Though she prefers to sling her daggers from a distance, Layna is a capable enough fighter up close, when the situation calls for it.

Fighting 1d6!!: [3] = 3 , Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
with one of her daggers; it's nothing fancy, just a clean, simple poke with the knife,
1d6!!+1d4!!: [1]+[10!!] = 11
to bring the beast down.

Who'd have thought when I woke up this morning that I'd have killed two wolves before lunch?
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Fighting 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 1]+[2] = 13
Damage: 2d8! 1d6! +2: [5, 7]+[4] = 16

Lelya felt the cold air against her cheek and the warm spittle of wolves against her breast. So far thanks to training, buckler, and magical allies none had been able to bring her down. Holding to her luck and driven to save the old man Gaff she tried to place herself between him and the remaining wolves. ”Gaff get behind me!! The heroes of Hirstwall will protect you! Foul stench wolves go back to the frozen wastes!” Words said she landed out with her father’s sword cutting deep into another wolf.
Stats

Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle kills a wolf
Wild Attack on a Wolf vs Parry 5:
Fighting 1d6!+3: [5]+3 = 8
Wild Fighting 1d6!+3: [5]+3 = 8

Hit:
Damage 2d6!+2: [6!, 2, 2]+2 = 12

Vulnerable: Final Parry = 4
Jaenelle, seeing one of the beasts bite Neil, curses her prior timidity, and (perhaps) overcompensates by lunging at the rabid cur, tossing Macron's lessons about defense to the wind. Her blow strikes true, severing the animal's head from its neck, but leaving her back open.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

[Note: Neil can still try to soak the two Wounds he took from the wolf bite.]

The howls of the wolves take on a panicked tone as Hirstwall's young defenders lay into them.

Atop the hill, Vespernys snipes another wolf, the shot instantly fatal just like the last. Layna drops another with a thrust of her dagger, while Lelya and Jaenelle both notch kills with their sword-work.

As Lelya moves to protect the shepherd, Graff, she sees one of the wolves disappear into the earth, where it is as the mercy of the dwarf runecarver, Gamil.

The two remaining wolves bare their fangs, their eyes wide with frenzy. They seem conflicted, torn between a natural inclination to flee and a sort of blood-crazed hunger that can't be entirely natural. Then a roar echoes from around the side of the hill and instinct kicks in -- the wolves flee across the blood-stained snow for the safety of the woods edge.

The ground shakes as a massive form rounds the side of the hill, crashing into the rocks -- a massive bear, its snout covered in blood. Its eyes betray the same mad frenzy as the wolves as it paws the ground and prepares to charge!
Crazed Bear.jpg
Initiative

Jaenelle 1d54: [25] = 25 = King of Hearts
Gamil 1d54: [5] = 5 = 6 Spades
Kaya 1d54: [52] = 52 = Ace of Diamonds
Halt 1d54: [28] = 28 = 3 Clubs
Vesper 1d54: [12] = 12 = King of Spades
Neil 1d54: [53] = 53 = Red Joker!
Lelya 1d54: [48] = 48 = 10 Diamonds
Layna 1d54: [49] = 49 = Jack of Diamonds

Bear 1d54: [32] = 32 = 7 Clubs

Positions
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches/one action from the cave mouth): ; Neil; Layna; Halt; Kaya; Jaenelle;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya; Gamil (burrowing); Blood-Crazed Bear

You're up! See positioning above. Rather than messing with Pace and Running, you can move down a level with a an Athletics check, which counts as an action.

Blood-Crazed Bear*: Parry 6, Toughness 10
Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna’s eyes widen at the sight of the bear.

”Oh, uh, this might be a little above us.”

Still, she gives one of her blades a quick twirl and send it flying towards the bear.

Athletics 1d8!!-4: [6]-4 = 2 for called shot to the head, Wild 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1

Reroll
1d8!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-4: [11!!]-4 = 7

Damage: 1d6!!+1d4!!+4: [4]+[3]+4 = 11
Bear is Shaken

, clearly hurting it, but not nearly enough to bring it down.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Fighting 1d10! Wild 1d6!: [9]+[3] = 12
Damage: 2d8!: [1, 5] = 6

Lelya jumped in front of the bear while swinging her sword with grace and measure. She tried her best to keep Gaff and the boy to her backside and the bear in front. But their was something about the bear... Something unnatural. “Get Gaff and the boy out of here master dwarf! These wild beasts... The cold has driven them mad!”
Stats

Gamil

Post by Gamil »

The wolf Gamil is holding onto gives up its final breath as it suffocates being sucked down further into the small opening. Gamil stands in the dark and listens, the wolves seemed to have decreased in number. There is a snarling pause and then the wolves seem to disappear.

The ground shakes, Gamil is uncertain of why, when he hears first @Layna and then @Lelya Spriggins. If he was going to move the shepherd, the shepherd's son, and the flocks he better get above ground quickly.

Disregarding magic, sort of, Gamil uses his double bladed great axe as a shovel.
Academics 1d8!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [23!!] = 23
from the earth, he comes out and surveys the situation. Carefull to keep the ground from caving in on his exit strategy, Gamil digs quickly and ascends from the ground.

@Tribe of One "Hey Gaff, will your sheep move along underground?"
Last edited by Gamil on Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Actions
Athletics d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0

Benny to re-roll

Athletics d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Kaya uttered a curse in her mother's tongue when the gigantic bear crashed roaring into view, frightening away the remaining wolves. It was certainly an out of the frying pan moment, though they still had to defence the shepherd and the lad from the beast. She went to hurry over to the cave mouth to help combat the newest threat, though her foot slid in the snow and she went down with a yelp.
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Two actions: MAP -2
First is Athletics to close with the bear; second will be to attack the bear with her sword.

Athletics 1d4!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild Athletics 1d6!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Uff da! Prone, so an additional -2 to Fighting Attack
Also, -2 to her Parry (now 4)

Fighting 1d6!-4: [6!, 4]-4 = 6
Wild Fighting 1d6!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Hit Parry 6!
Damage 2d6!: [1, 6!, 2] = 9
Not quite enough to Shake it again, dammit.
Jaenelle hesitates for a moment as the bear arrives down below. She knows she should take it slow and cautious, again, and be prepared to stand with her allies against the obviously demented beast, but.... She looks at Neil, bleeding from the wolf-bite, and part of her mind whispers, That might not have happened if you'd been here sooner....

Before she can have second thoughts, then, she plunges forward down the hillside, sword high, crying out. It's very impressive--for the first few steps, before the ice and snow trip her up, sending her sprawling at the very feet of the beast. Her sword manages to make contact with the creature, but the blade does nothing to actually injure it--though, possibly, it will draw the animal's attention. Small comfort, that....
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Vespernys du Lac

Shooting 6
-2 range
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [8!!]-2 = 6
Damage 10 AP 1; that should be a Wound
2d6!!+2: [4, 4]+2 = 10
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 3

Vespernys smiled as the wolves ran off. A nice job done. And then there was a roar, and a large bear lumbered into the clearing.

“Lord and Lady…” Vesper muttered, noting the bloody jaws of the massive beast towering over her friends down below the hill. “Guide my arrows.”

Drawing again, Vesper fired quickly at the bear down the hill. The arrow took it in the muscular neck.

Bennies: 4/4
Arrows: 17
Halt

Post by Halt »

Shooting
Shooting 1d8!: [3] = 3 -2 for Range = 1
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1 -2 for Range = -1
Lelya Spriggins wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:57 pm Fighting 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 1]+[2] = 13
Damage: 2d8! 1d6! +2: [5, 7]+[4] = 16

”Gaff get behind me!! The heroes of Hirstwall will protect you! Foul stench wolves go back to the frozen wastes!”
"Heroes of Hirstwall?" Halt mutters, rolling his eyes. "You'll find nothing but trouble claiming to be a hero. And who talks like that?".

Halt quickly "sheaths" his bow on his back as the wolves run off, having no desire to do the creatures further harm than they've already suffered. No sooner than the bow is strapped on, the crazed bear lumbers into the clearing at the bottom of the hill.

Dammit, I hate being right... Halt thinks, as he hastily unstraps his bow and fires a shot. In his haste to get his bow and land a shot before the others are attacked, Halt's shot goes wide, burying into a nearby tree trunk.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

[I must have deleted my note in the previous post, but Neil drew a Joker in the last round, so everyone got a Benny.]
Rolls
Bear uses an Extra Benny to Soak
Vigor 1d12!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 = Soaks the Wound

What does bear do?
1-2 Attack Lelya
3-4 Attack Kaya
5-6 Attack Jaenelle
7 Attack Gamil
8 Charge up the hill to attack Neil
9 ... attack Layna
10 ... attack Halt
11-12 Roll twice, tries to do both

Roll 1d12: [4] = 4 = Kaya. And will have it attack Jaenelle, as well, as it goes for the prone targets.

Will take a -2 MAP to attack both targets, but is +2 to hit since they're Vulnerable.

Fighting vs. Kaya: 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Fighting vs. Jaenelle: 1d8!!: [7] = 7 = Hit
Damage 1d12!!+2+1d6!!: [3]+2+[4] = 9 = Glancing blow
Graff, his son and the herd scream in unison as the blood-smeared bear appears in front of the cave. Whether or not the heroes of Hirstwall share there terror, it doesn't stop them from leaping into action.

Lelya and Layna move swiftly to attack, though neither the young warrior's sword nor the young rogue's thrown dagger manage to pierce the bear's thick fur. Layna's dagger, close to the beast's eye, manages to distract it for a moment, but it is too enraged to be staggered for long.

Halt's frustration is apparent as his arrow goes wide of the mark. Vesper's aim remains true -- she scores a direct hit on the bear's flank, but the missile either fails to hit anything vital or the the pain fails to pierce the bear's red rage. [Bear soaked the wound with a Benny.]

The ground, already icy and now slick with wolf blood, proves treacherous. Kaya and Jaenelle both go down, sliding within the reach of the murderous bear. Sensing weakness, it swipes first at Kaya, who rolls just out of reach, before bringing it's claws down on Jaenelle. Miraculously, the novice Tender is unharmed, with not even a tear in her robes thanks to the protective spell she wove at the top of the hill.

Near the cave, Gamil steps out of a waist-deep hole and beckons to Graff, asking if he run his herd underground. The shepherd shakes his head silently in confusion -- though the dwarf's magic lets him burrow through the earth, to anyone else the hole looks more like a shallow grave that collapses in Gamil's wake.

Neil, meanwhile, appears to be near-comatose as he stands and sways mid-way up the hill. Whether shock from the wolf's bite or some other distraction, his mind seems to be elsewhere ...

Initiative

Jaenelle 1d54: [51] = 51 = King of Diamonds
Gamil 1d54: [40] = 40 = 2 Diamonds
Kaya 1d54: [44] = 44 = 6 Diamonds
Halt 1d54: [28] = 28 = 3 Clubs
Vesper 1d54: [12] = 12 = King of Spades
Neil 1d54: [23] = 23 = Jack of Hearts
Lelya 1d54: [12] = 12 = Reroll = 1d54: [38] = 38 = King of Clubs
Layna 1d54: [16] = 16 = 4 Hearts

Bear 1d54: [29] = 29 = 4 Clubs

PCs win Initiative

Positions
  • Halfway down the path (15 inches/one action from the cave mouth): ; Neil; Layna; Halt;
  • Near the cave mouth (within 6 inches): Graff the shepherd; his boy, Aron (atop the rocks); Lelya; Gamil (burrowing); Kaya; Jaenelle; Blood-Crazed Bear

Blood-Crazed Bear*: Parry 6, Toughness 10; Has used 1 Benny.
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil shakes his head and finds some sure footing. With his axe in hand, he disengages the double head and spins the blades back. As the blades clear the upper fourth of the haft, the blades fold down. The spike at the end opens up into a cone and Gamil levels his "fire arm" at the bear.

"Stay down!"

He draws the great axe fire arm up so that the sights are lined up on the bear's chest near its neck.

DAMAGE MODIFIER Weird Science (Burst) 1d8!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Fire spews forth in a cone angled up high to avoid the Defenders prone and on the ground.
Burst Damage 3d6!!: [5, 2, 2] = 9 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Layna

Post by Layna »

Deciding that discretion is the better part of not dying, Layna opts to keep her distance from the bear and
Athletics 1d8!-2, 1d6!-2: [5]-2+[4]-2 = 5
Benny to reroll: 1d8!-2: [3]-2 = 1 , Wild 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0
. Unfortunately, the throw goes wide and misses the creature entirely; it's faster than anything that big has any right to be.

"Anyone got any bright ideas?" she calls out to her friends.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Hit 11 damage, or 12 with raise if gang-up applies
Fighting 1d10! 1d6!: [7]+[2] = 9 If there is gang up she would get a 10+ to hit.
Damage 2d8!: [7, 2] = 9 +2 is 11, raise damage in case it applies: 1d6!: [1] = 1
Drop a benny to reroll damage: 2d8!: [3, 2] = 5 raise 1d6!: [1] = 1
Lelya put her trust into her father’s sword. She had seen him do amazing things with it. Slay dozens of wolves protecting the sheep of the village, and even, if she remembered correctly, his shadow. It was a blade once found long ago in a tomb of kings, and later by her father used to slay a giant in a sky castle. Or so his story went. In her heart she knew it was special and the stories to be true.

She cried again not letting the cold drown her voice, “Come bear! Hirstwall has laid down a challenge! I am no mere peasant. I am the daughter of the giant slayer, and I weild the blade of old kings come to do great things!” Despite nearly no one ever believing her, her belief in her father’s great deeds and the mighty blade passed down to her was enough to snuff any doubt the cold might bring. The steel blade in her grip was simple, and yet she knew deep down it was the steel of a hero. With a quick adjustment in her grip she lanced out against the bear with such a blade while using her athleticism to keep herself between it and her friends.
Stats

Vespernys du Lac

Shooting 5
-2 range
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d10!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Damage 10 AP 1; should shake the bear
1d10!!+1d6!!+2: [6]+[2]+2 = 10
Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 4

The bear had a thick hide, Vesper noticed as she knocked another arrow. This would not be so easy! She had to look away, though, when Gamil blasted fire and the smell of burned fur filled the air. She raised her bow again and loosed another arrow at the creature, placing the arrow near the first one she’d put in the beast.

Bennies: 2/4
Arrows: 16
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

OOC Comments
Fighting 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3

Benny

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

+3 bonus from Ganging Up?

Wishful Thinking Damage 1d6!!+1d4!!: [10!!]+[1] = 11
Thankfully Kaya's mishap hadn't resulted in any serious consequences, a fact proven by the bear's swiping claws narrowly missing her. Regaining her feet, she struck out with her rapier and was rewarded by it striking true and biting into the beast's flesh. Seeing a thin red line appear on the bear's flank, Kaya retreated a little as others darted in with their own attacks.
Last edited by Kaya on Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Damage 10--another Shake
Standing up (2" movement) and attacking, Wild Attack (+2 hit, +2 damage, -2 Parry) vs. Parry 6/Toughness 10, +3 gang-up bonus
Called shot to the head: -4 to hit, +4 to damage.
Total Modifiers: +1 to hit, +6 to damage.
Bearbrain Kabob? 1d6!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild Fighting 1d6!!+1: [10!!]+1 = 11

Hit with a Raise, vs. Toughness 10.
Damage 2d6!!+6: [1, 3]+6 = 10
Benny to reroll damage:
Damage Reroll 2d6!!+6: [1, 1]+6 = 8
Jaenelle is momentarily taken aback by the sight of the massive paw coming down on her--and just as surprised when it fails to pierce her mystical shield.

Deciding to take an opportunity as it is presented, she leaps to her feet, attempting to use that momentum to aid her strike, and aiming the tip towards the beast's neck, hoping to drive the blade straight up through the brain-meat. It doesn't pierce through the hide, though it does impact the beast's throat in what is hopefully a painful manner.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Bear fails to soak
Bear uses 2nd Wild Card benny to soak vs. Vesper's attack
Vigor 1d12!!: [3] = 3 = Takes the wound.
As Kaya rolls clear and Jaenelle scrambles back from the bear's sweeping paws, the group moves in to surround the murderous creature.

Gamil spews a gout of flame from his axe, but the blast fails to do more than singe the bear's thick fur.

As the beast bellows in surprise, Lelya lays into it with her sword. The blade fails to penetrate deeply, but gets the bear's attention, distracting it while others attack.

Vesper wastes no time launching an arrow from atop the hill, the shaft burrowing deep, through the bear's autumn fat and into muscle. Kaya and Jaenelle follow up immediately, plunging their sword deep into the bear's body, inflicting additional wounds that paint the red snow with fresh blood.

The awful wounds seem to shake the bear out of its unnatural bloodlust. It roars again, but the sound is full of pain and distress, not rage. It wheels away from the cave, stumbling and weak, and attempts to flee toward the safety of the Weald. Finishing it would be a simple task, if you desire a trophy to carry home to the village. Otherwise, you watch as it makes its lumbering way into the shadows cast by the looming forest.

With the desperate melee concluded, Graff slumps against the cave wall. His face is so pale you fear he has been wounded, but it's only exhaustion, not blood loss. His son drops down from the stones piled above and hugs him.

"Did you see that, Da -- they killed a pack of wounds and bested that frothing bear like they were beating rugs over a rail! I don't even think it was a bear, the way it's eyes looked. Might have been a demon!"

Graff laughs weakly, patting his son's head. "'Twas a bear, sure as you've your mother's flair for telling tales. Though one possessed of an unnatural fury, as the wolves that came before it. Whatever's brought on this devilish cold has ensorceled the beasts, as well."

He nods at you in gratitude.

"You've saved me, my boy and my flock. I owe you a debt thrice over, if I can ever repay you."

As grateful as he is, Graff will need at least an hour's rest before he's able to travel on his own. In the meantime, the cold could become a problem unless someone finds some fuel and starts a fire.
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt draws an arrow and lines up a shot on the bear as the wild light in its eyes dims and it turns to run away. Halt tracks the bear for a few seconds, but ultimately lowers the bow without taking the shot.

Damn bear...I better not live to regret this... he thinks, flips his bow around and stores it on his back.

Halt carefully makes his way down to the mouth of the cave, where he finds Graff slumped against the wall with his eyes closed.

Yeah sure, why not? Seems like a great time for a nap. Halt says rolling his eyes. "Well if we are going to stay here, no point in being cold while we do it. I'm going to go collect some wood for a fire. Gamil, want to join me, just in case those wolves come back looking for a snack?" He pause for a moment to let the dwarf respond. If he agrees, Halt adds "Good. I should have no problem out running you if they come back."

It takes a while with the recent heavy snowfall, but
1d10!+2: [3]+2 = 5
1d6!+2: [4]+2 = 6

Notice 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [4] = 4

Getting back to the cave, Halt starts a fire by the entrance in the shallow hole left from Gamil's burrowing. His stomach growls loudly and Halt looks longingly at the sheep huddled together at the back of the cave. After a moment to make his desire for lamb clear, He digs through his pack, pulling out some dried jerky and chews on it sourly.
Last edited by Halt on Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

"Come here you!" Kaya called out when she saw that Neil had been injured in the fight. "Settle down over there and let me tend to that leg."

She fussed over the wounds in Neil's leg, though taking advantage of the fire that Halt had gotten going to warm herself and melt some snow for water. She then set about cleaning the leg, put some herbs to aid the mending of the wound and tied a bandage round it.

Healing 5
Healing 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3

Benny...

Healing 1d6!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil was just going to recommend he start the fire when @Halt mentions looking for wood. "Right. Can't just pumping the ax for a flame. We need something consistent and lasting."

Before heading off with Halt, he does manage to collect some sheep dung. "These sheep are white as a ghost. Propably scared shitless. The evidence is right here."
Elemental Manipulation
he lights the dung on fire. While it is a fire, it is to small to keep anybody warm, however the smell of burning fresh dung is enough to keep most wild critters away. Gamil is certain that everyone is upwind of the fire before he joins Halt.

At Halt's comment about being able to out run him, Gamil just looks at Halt side ways, evidently he had not seen Gamil leave the trail or witnessed him wrestling with one of the wolves. Before he makes a verbal comment, Gamil stops and makes an assessment of where and how far they in regards to the town and the town's barriers.

Notice 1d4!!: [6!!] = 6 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Shelter Me 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild Survival 1d6!!: [2] = 2
As Halt and Gamil head off to gather firewood, and Kaya begins fussing over Neil's leg, Jaenella wordlessly sets to the messy business of skinning the wolves. By the time the fire has been built and the bleeding staunched, she's got several wolf pelts, and has begun draping them over a crude framework of branches too wet for the fire. These lean-tos are then placed to provide additional shelter from the wind.

"Not the most pleasant-smelling of shelters, but it will suffice, I hope, for our brief rest. And as a bonus, we can take the pelts when we leave, to help keep us warm as we walk."
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Lelya Spriggins

Vigor= 1d8! 1d6!: [2]+[5] = 7
Tracking: 1d4! Wild 1d6!: [1]+[1] = 2

Lelya Spriggins, well spriggin nature got the better of her and she took sword and shield bounding off for the bear. Damn it is cold... She blew into her hands trying to warm them. It was more cold out here than it had any right to be. When she looked up the bear was gone lost in the Waeld.
Stats

Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna joins her friends by the fledgling fire, warming her hands despite the less-than-pleasant aroma. "Well, that certainly could have all gone much worse," she says.

To the traumatized villagers, she flashes a quick smile,
Persuasion 1d6!: [3] = 3 , Wild 1d6!: [4] = 4
. "What, you didn't pack your coats this fine summer day?"
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

The cold moves in quickly as the excitement of battle fades, even with Graff's flock crowding the cave. Wasting no time, Halt heads out into the snow to look for downed limbs for a fire while Gamil pushes through the sheep collecting dung.

It's not the first time Graff or some other shepherd has sheltered here, by the looks of it. In addition to old, dry droppings, the dwarf finds some soot-covered stones where someone else once built a fire in the back of the cave. Hoping to find a bit of charred wood, as well, he keeps poking around, which leads him to a discovery: a symbol, deliberately scraped into the soot-stained wall, something like a circle with small triangles -- or maybe flames -- running along the top of it.

Just below the carving, a large, flat rock just begs to be overturned. It shifts easily when Gamil grips the edges, and the dwarf lifts it clear to reveal a hollow in the stone. Nestled in the hollow is a small package wrapped in oil-cloth. Unwrapping it reveals a long dirk in a plain leather sheath, as well as a battered brass compass. Upon examination, the dirk appears utilitarian -- a simple hilt of hammered bronze wrapped in leather cord -- though the blade, if Gamil is not mistaken, is cold-forged iron, rather than steel. The compass, meanwhile, appears defective, its arrow pointing 15 or 20 degrees east of true north.

Halt, returning with an armload of dry wood that had been buried beneath the snow, pulls up short when shown the symbol on the wall. He'd found the same circle-with-flames carved on a snow-covered stone outside, although the exterior marker had an inverted-V over it -- a symbol the woodsmen sometimes used to indicate a nearby campsite or cave.

The mysterious find provides plenty to talk about as Halt gets a fire going. Graff soon begins to recover from his exhaustion, smiling weakly as his son excitedly chatters at Layna and anyone else who will listen. Kaya cleans and stitches the bite wound on Neil's leg, though the young mage appears to be in shock, barely speaking or responding when his name is mentioned.

Jaenelle skins a few of the wolves, providing warm if bloody wraps for the journey back to the village, while Lelya tracks the bear through the snow as far as the Weald, ensuring it does not return.

Once everyone has warmed up and regained their strength, you gather hot stones from the fire and wrap them in scraps of hide so they can be stuffed into pockets and shirts to warm you on the walk home.

The walk seems longer than it did this morning, but you make it within sight of Hirstwall before afternoon fades. A small mountain of lumber -- scrap from the old mill -- has been piled up near the south gate, and smoke rises from chimneys all across the village.

Bron Smith and Alice Macron meet you at the north gate. The old guard captain's gaze slides across the wolf pelts and Neil's bloody leg appraisingly, while Bron seems to be mentally weighing whether there's enough mutton in Graff's flock to last through an early winter.

"I expect you have a tale or two to tell," Macron says. "Though you've gone and come back with more than you started, so we know the ending, at least, is all to the good."

She gestures you in. "Get home and find yourself dry clothes and something hot to drink, but don't take to your beds just yet. The Widow's put a stew on and folk are gathering at the chapel. They'll want to hear your tale, and there'll be talk of what comes next."
sergey-lameyko-l6-ce-cut-big-w.jpg
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle is largely silent on the journey home, mostly making the effort to assist anyone who needs it as they travel. In particular, she often helps Neil keep moving, by serving as a crutch when needed. Her normally impassive expression often flickers into the face of regret whenever she looks at his leg.

Once back in Hirstwall, she wordlessly takes Macron's instruction as gospel, heading to her now-repaired home (I will have to thank Vesper for that) to change out of the bloody garments and get as clean and warm as she can. When she is as ready as she will ever be, she will join the others at the chapel, though she likely arrives later than most (perhaps all), as she takes her time walking about the small hamlet, making sure some of the more vulnerable residents are secure. Fortunately, she finds that an old Tender's adage holds true, here: "When times are hard, the villagers will oft Tend to themselves, freeing us to Tend to issues beyond."

Satisfied that her duty is full, when she does arrive at the chapel, she slips in quietly and moves to a darker corner near the back. She will answer questions posed to her by villagers emboldened to speak to her because of the crisis, but otherwise will not actively participate in the tale-telling.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna stops by the house to let Da know she's alright and to change out of her wet clothes. Of course, Da isn't there; he'd be out helping someone or another, bum leg and all.

She sighs, cleans up, cleans off her daggers, and begins stashing them in hidden spots in her clothes and strapped to her body because, honestly, no one ever complained about having too many knives when things got weird.

She arrives at the temple and helps herself to the stew, and then to an extra portion when no one is looking. She earned it today, after all.

When it's her turn to speak, she says, "You all know that I am no forester; I leave that to other folks, and there are plenty here better suited to speak to that sort of thing than me. But the animals today were just wrong. They were reckless and ferocious in a way that no one would expect in a sudden chill. Maybe in dead winter when they're starving, but not on the first snow, and especially not a surprise snow when they've been eating well for months."

She's not superstitious, but she also doesn't want to be the one to mention the Weald. So she simply doesn't, saying her piece and sitting back down, and maybe looking for just one more plate of stew.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Upon the group's return back to the village, Kaya took the opportunity to visit her vardo to gather fresh medical supplies and headed to the chapel with everyone else. There she fussed over Neil's injured leg, washed it and wrapped clean bandages. She also gave Neil a herb to take, if anything to help soothe the pain and try to prevent infection. With the unnatural weather, Kaya wasn't sure what she'd do if the leg went bad.

She listened to Layna recount what had happened in the forest. "Yeah, something seemed...off abouts the animals we encountered."
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall/Wilds
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

When the bear fled, Vespernys unstrung her bow and stowed it in its oilskin wrapping before sliding down the hillside to join the others in the cave. She didn’t say much as they warmed themselves by the fire before heading back to the village with the shepherds and their flock.

In Hirstwall, Vesper snuck back into the manor for a change of clothes, then heads back to join the others in the chapel, still dressed in the clothes of a man, though she leaves her hood pushed back, revealing who she is. She put her hand reassuringly on Neil’s shoulder as she passed him a plate of stew and listened to Layna recount what had happened.

“Indeed. The animals seemed rather fearless,” Vesper added. “If they get near the village, they might be dangerous. If anyone leaves the village, they should be armed, or have an armed escort. And let someone know when you go.”

Party Loot
Large dirk
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.[/OOC]
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt is uncharacteristically quiet on the return trip - he barely berates anyone the entire trip. The symbols at the campsite bother him. Well, the symbols themselves don't bother him, but the fact that he doesn't recognize them is something else. Halt thought he knew everyone with the know-how to spend nights outside of the village walls. But these symbols weren't any that they would use...

When they get back to the village, Halt takes the wolf pelts to the tanner to get cleaned up and treated. No point in wasting perfectly good furs, especially with an early winter setting in. From there Halt goes straight to the chapel. The grime of travel doesn't bother him, and he has enough rations in his pack to hold him over until the tale is told.

When he arrives, he pick a small shadowed corner and sits on the ground, back against wall. He pulls out a stone and starts sharpening the tips of the arrows that missed the wolves. As word spreads and more folks from the village wander in, the customary bubble of space forms up around Halt. Before long, the others start telling the story of their "adventure".
Kaya wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:40 pm She listened to Layna recount what had happened in the forest. "Yeah, something seemed...off abouts the animals we encountered."
"You bet your arse something was off." Halt says from his corner without looking up from the knife that he had switched to sharpening. "Maybe I'd try to explain away the red eyes as a trick of the light, and maybe the wolves had a dry run and were desperate to get at those sheep, but the bear? That was a she-bear. No cubs, no frothing or other signs of the rage-disease. No she-bear would act like that without reason. Crows take it but that was down right wrong. Something is going on in the woods, and that bear headed straight for the Weald as soon as we injured it."
Vespernys du Lac wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:34 am
“Indeed. The animals seemed rather fearless,” Vesper added. “If they get near the village, they might be dangerous. If anyone leaves the village, they should be armed, or have an armed escort. And let someone know when you go.”
At this, Halt looked up with a smirk, "Yeah, great idea. Anyone who needs to go beyond the wall just let me know. I'd be more than happy to escort you" Halt said. Most who knew him would detect the tone in his voice, indicating full well that he knew no one would take him up on it.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

It seems the entire village has decided to squeeze into the chapel for the evening meeting, far more than usually fill the pews for the weekly homily (a fact that Handmaid Dynia seems to have realized, herself, after sending a few of the men to the steward's to fetch spare benches). Luckily, the Widow's stew-pot appears to be as bottomless as her well of complaints and ailments, affording everyone a full belly as John Smiles ladles out cups of mulled wine.

The villagers listen attentively as you describe your rescue of the shepherds and their flock, gasping as you describe the wild-eyed frenzy of the wolves and bear. Many twist their fingers into a ward against evil when the Weald is mentioned. Soon, the mean-spirited muttering from the morning picks up again.

"I told you it was Creighton, pissin' on the wall ... might as well paint the Wall with nightsoil, to damn us all."

"Aye, or this daft 'maid they've sent us for the chapel. Near forgot the words when putting the blessing on my youngest. And who says we need the southern gods, here, by the Wild. The old ones been here ages, raised the stones that hold back the wildborn ..."

" ... Or that Tender. Too young by half. And skipping off to the festival last night with the rest of them, like her place ain't apart ... "

"You want to talk about not knowing one's place, look no further than the lord's household. That daughter of his don't even know which clothes she's to be wearing ..."

"Enough!" Alice Macron's voice cuts through noise with a drill sergeant's power.

"We may not know what's brought this unnatural winter, but we know what problems it presents for us. Problems we can solve, if we set our minds to common cause." The muttering quiets some, but doesn't disappear entirely.

Macron looks to Duchess Eliane, as if inviting the noblewoman to speak, but the Duke's wife only seems to shrink into her chair. Before Macron has a chance to speak again, Bron Smith steps forward.

"Well, the lads and I have hauled back a goodly store of kindling from the old mill, and there's more to be had. The harvest's been put away, though like as not we'll not get a late planting if the ground freezes," the burly blacksmith says. "The most pressing problem, from my view, is going to be forage. Not much to get at with a foot of snow on the ground, and we've yet to put away much hay. So we'll want to get a crew tomorrow to shear the sheep and ready 'em for slaughter, and another to bring up some of the salt stores from the mine ..."

"'Ready 'em for slaughter? My flock, that's only just been rescued?" Graff leaps to his feet, his face red with rage. "You come near one ewe with so much as a sharp nail and I'll wrap your guts around the standing stones myself, you puffed-up bastard!"

The room erupts into chaos, neighbors shouting at neighbors as Jack Smiles and one of O'Carrick's stablehands try to keep the smith and the shepherd from murdering each other. Macron shouts to be heard, but no one's listening to her, and the Duchess looks like she's about to crawl out of the window to escape ...

Here's your chance at a social challenge, and some potential rewards. Post how your character tries to calm the uncharacteristically combative crowd -- perhaps by diplomacy or intimidation, or simply by creating a suitable distraction. The village needs some leadership, before fear and divisiveness create more trouble than the cold ...

Pure roleplaying is fine, but you can also include an appropriate skill check. Every success and raise will help improve the situation in the village.

Additionally, a success on your roll (or a good plan) will earn you a Benny. A raise (or a really creative post) will earn your character a Discovery Point instead. [If you recall, these are a form of in-game currency you can trade in to gain Conviction or to "discover" the magical properties of special relics and enchanted items.]

Discovery Points

In-game, your characters will be able to amass Discovery Points, which you'll acquire by Unearthing Secrets and Resolving Mysteries. So, finding the lost village of Urtwell in the eastern reaches of the Weald might earn a point; recovering the journal of the Crusader-Knight Taglyn, which lays out the eventual fate of the village garrison, might earn another. Finding Taglyn's missing sword, which the journal mentions was lost in the Hagmere, could earn a point, while returning it to his heir in a distant village could do the same.

You'll be able to use Discovery Points in a few ways: At any time, a PC can expend a Discovery Point to gain Conviction. (You'll also be able to earn Conviction through Tragedy/failure, as outlined in the core rules, but Discoveries will replace the option of gaining Conviction through Triumph).

You'll also be able to spend Discovery Points as a group to purchase an advance (for everyone) during the downtime that occurs between adventures. I'm planning to include some narrative passage of time -- a season, or even a year -- between adventure arcs. I've got a table I'm working on that could help determine what happens to your characters in that time. If the group decides to expend enough Discovery Points (I'm thinking 5 or so, to start) you'll all gain an advance during the downtime, as well (which would be in addition to the advance you'll get at the end of each quarter).

Finally, you'll use Conviction (earned via Tragedy or through Discoveries) to "reveal" the power of magic items. While I may occasionally hand out items with already-discovered powers -- a mace that glows like a torch, or a jar that fills with restorative honey under a full moon -- most start out as mysteries. You'll activate them, discovering an ability, by spending Conviction at an narratively appropriate time. So, say your character finds a fire-blackened spear carved with ancient sigils in a faery grove. Later, while fighting an ogre (and faring poorly), you decide to "activate" the spear, spending your Conviction. Based on the circumstances, you and I decide it's particularly deadly to giants and their kin: It gets a +1 to hit and the Giant-Killer Edge. Or maybe you're beset by nighthaunts, and you spend Conviction and discover that the shield you found in the church catacombs can emit a sunlight-trapped damage field. Maybe being bathed in the blood of two score goblins rekindles the power of an ancient blade, or perhaps you just have enough downtime to figure out that pointing the bone wand and saying skippy causes it to shoot lightning.

Special starting items you gained from your playbooks can be handled this way (beyond any minor abilities we've talked about, like being exceptionally light or counting as a magic weapon,etc.) and I'll probably set a limit of no more than two "reveals" per item. But I'll make a point of including lots of strange and intriguing items for you to claim and potentially turn into implements of power.

One way or another, the crowd eventually quiets, though whether they're thoughtful or embittered depends largely on the group's words. Just as the villagers are about to head home to their beds, the chapel door bursts open and one of Creighton's boys stumbles in, trailing snow.

"Outs-s-s-s-ide. Gate. P-p-p-ast the W-w-w-wall. Little man. B-b-b-b-buck-a ... buck-ka-ka-awn. Or b-b-b-ogun!"

"Are you daft, boy? Been out in the cold too long?" Bron Smith says, still surly from the earlier confrontation.

"N-n-n-no sir. Telling it true. There's a wee little man, with m-m-moss for a beard, standing just outside the wall. Says he wants to t-t-talk to the lord. Says he's come with a message. C-c-c-come here, from the Weald."
Lelya Spriggins

Leyla Spriggins daughter to Jack, a man most would laugh at Rather than believe his tall tales stood on the table near the Dutchess trying to escape. She reached out for the Dutches’ hand, “Wait.”

Took a breath and began in an enchantingly haunted voice sing the town’s song reminding them of who they were.
“There was a town.
A lonely lost forgotten town.
By fools and Kings, Queens and dreams,
Till one day the sky shown blue...

There was a time when chil came thru,
In Hirstenwall where the Waeld was hued.
Built by sons and men, daughters and Mother hen,
This I tell you tue...

The greatest thing, you’ll ever learn,
Is just to love,
And be loved in return.”

Perform “Siging distraction” 1d8! 1d6!: [2]+[6!, 4] = 12
Stats

Vespernys du Lac

Persuasion 8; Raise
Persuasion 1d10!!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
Hirstwall/Chapel
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys couldn’t pretend she didn’t hear the mutterings about her among the crowd of villagers as they mingled. She caught her mother frowning at her, too, and looking nervous. Vesper’s father had always been a strong leader, so her mother had never been forced to be in that position, wanting nothing more than to be a quiet, unassuming wife. She enjoyed the woman’s place, domestic, and pregnant or rearing babies. Unfortunately, she’d only been blessed with an unruly daughter that refused to act like a proper lady.

Then the argument started to break out, and tempers started to flare. Leyla tried to break through the chaos with a song to calm things. Vesper jumped up onto a stool. She put her fingers in her mouth and gave a loud whistle. Seeing the blacksmith raise his arm to strike the shepherd, she whipped her bow around and sent an arrow across the room, catching the blacksmith’s sleeve and pinning it to the wall, preventing his ham-sized fist from rearranging the shepherd’s face.

“Everyone knock it off!” Vesper yelled. “The only way get through this is if we work together! Just like we do every winter! This is no different. It’s just early. So we need to assess what stores we have, and what we don’t. Handmaid Dyrnia and I will chair a committee,” she said, knowing her mother wouldn’t want the position, “and I want you to nominate some others for the committee to make the deliberations. There will likely be hard choices needing to be made, and I want to make sure everyone gets heard.”

As the crowd quieted down, the doors burst open with the announcement of someone at the gates. Vesper frowned at the description. A little man with moss for a beard, wanting to speak to the lord? What was that? Well, the lord wasn’t here, so Vesper decided she would have to do.

“I will go and talk to him,” Vesper said, hopping down from the stool. She looked to Handmaid Dyrnia. “Can you work on getting the committee elected?” she asked, pulling up her hood again in preparation for going out into the cold once more.
Party Loot
Cold iron dirk
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.[/OOC]
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Persuasion 5
Persuasion 1d8!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+!: [3] = 3
Kaya sighed as things amongst the villagers started getting heated and then said out loud. "Oi! Something for you to consider before things get much more heated."

"Like all of you I got caught short by this early winter." Said Kaya. "Means I haven't been able to stock up on herbs, meaning my supplies are low and as the village healer I won't be able to patch you all up if you all get into a fist fight right now."

"If we're gonna get through this, we need to work together and lessen the burden on each other." Kaya continued. "Yes it's probably going to be tough, but if we band together and make the most of what we've got to hand we'll get through this."
Neil

Post by Neil »

Neil is morose after the battle and throughout the journey home. The wolf's bite shocked him. He knew that adventuring wasn't a game, but being attacked by the wolf that injured his leg was something he wasn't prepared for. In the stories, the wizard always works mighty magics to keep his friends safe and to defeat his enemies. Reality is a little bit different.

It's a good thing their first enemies were animals and not intelligent creatures. Why wouldn't the wizard be attacked first? Wouldn't it make the most sense to kill the one who poses an unknown threat to you? Neil decided he would have to learn how to use his staff to defend himself. He'll never be a warrior, but can at least learn how to take a hit and how to keep an enemy at bay long enough for one of his friends to free him to work his magic.

Neil listens to the townsfolk and doesn't say much about the journey. He's too embarrassed, really, and Neil hopes his friends don't bring up his contributions. When the crowd gets unruly, he sees an opportunity to be useful.

He sees lady Vespernys climbing on top of a stool to address the crowd, so he
Spellcasting:
Wild:
words of power
Neil Smith
Edit Signature
Neil

Post by Neil »

Neil is morose after the battle and throughout the journey home. The wolf's bite shocked him. He knew that adventuring wasn't a game, but being attacked by the wolf that injured his leg was something he wasn't prepared for. In the stories, the wizard always works mighty magics to keep his friends safe and to defeat his enemies. Reality is a little bit different.

It's a good thing their first enemies were animals and not intelligent creatures. Why wouldn't the wizard be attacked first? Wouldn't it make the most sense to kill the one who poses an unknown threat to you? Neil decided he would have to learn how to use his staff to defend himself. He'll never be a warrior, but can at least learn how to take a hit and how to keep an enemy at bay long enough for one of his friends to free him to work his magic.

Neil listens to the townsfolk and doesn't say much about the journey. He's too embarrassed, really, and Neil hopes his friends don't bring up his contributions. When the crowd gets unruly, he sees an opportunity to be useful.

He sees lady @Vespernys du Lac climbing on top of a stool to address the crowd, so he
Spellcasting: 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild: 1d6!: [4] = 4
words of power. The timing is just right, and a booming explosion sounds off as lady Vespernys raises her hand to her mouth to whistle. Her whistle shrills as a soft light surounds her as if shining down from the ceiling above.

Satisfied with the result Neil grins and tries not to stand out because he knows the villagers aren't too keen on his wizardly powers. He lets his friends do the rest.
Neil Smith
Edit Signature
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
2/3 Bennies
Common Knowledge 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild CK 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Success: +1 Benny, 3/3
Jaenelle was used to being politely ignored, not named as one of the sources of the town's woes. She flushed a bit, standing in the corner, but before she could speak to defend herself, One-Eye spoke and got the townsfolk focused on what mattered the most.

Sadly, getting them turned forward immediately led to the dispute about which route should be taken, turning the meeting into a near-brawl. Jaenelle put her mind to the conflict as others sought to settle it.

Once the crowd was distracted by Leyla's magic-enhanced performance, and Vesper and Kaya set up an initial plan of action, she drifts over near the young Handmaid--and newly decreed head of the Action Committee--murmuring just loudly enough for Dynia to hear. "Sheering the sheep now means that in six weeks, if they're left alive and kept in shelters, they'll be ready to sheer again--and that much more meat on their bones. And that meat will be much more needed then, rather than being lost now. Twice the wool, and mutton ready just as the existing stores start to get low. Something to think on, perhaps suggest to the concerned citizens...."

Hopefully, the young Handmaid could take the hint and propose the idea as if it were her own; a solid plan of action letting two of the town's more prominent figures both save face, while also dealing with some of the immediate needs created by the cold--it should be enough to help her keep the town calm while the source of this strange winter was tracked down and dealt with.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Halt

Post by Halt »

Intimidation 18
Intimidation 1d6!+2: [6!, 6!, 4]+2 = 18
wild 1d6+2!: [5]+2 = 7
Halt lets the other's try it the nice way first. Lelya sings, Vesper gives a rousing speech - augmented by Neil for thsoe sharp enough to notice, and the others make good points, but still the crowd bickers and argues.

Sometimes people just need to be cowed before they will listen to good sense...especially when they are frightened.

And for once, Halt didn't blame them. They had damn good reason to be scared. This early winter by itself would have been a threat to the village, but add whatever it was that had affected those wolves and its supernatural origin... there was a good chance they would all be dead before winters end. And they needed to be reminded of it...

Halt grabs his cup, empties it of the mild ale it contains, and unceremoniously chucks it a lantern overhead near the middle of the room. It smashes the lantern spilling flaming oil down onto the ground, a few droplets even catching some of the villages as they shout at eachother. Forced to stop their arguements for a moment, the nearest villagers quickly move to stamp or pat out the flames before they can spread. Emergency averted, many quickly turn on Halt, anger ready to be re-directed.

Halt heads them off, "Now that I've got your attention...WHAT IN THE LORD'S PRIVY HAS GOTTEN INTO YOU? Halt's face starts to flush red with anger and flecks of spittle hit those closest to him the face. "Did you miss the fact that we basically just told you that something out of the Weald has infected the local wildlife turning them murderous?" Halt reaches over with his bowstaff and lifts Neil's pant leg, ignoring the fledgling wizards wince and exposing the red, puss soaked bandages that cover the deep gashes cause by the wolves. "The same wild life that most of us couldn't handle on our best of days? That keeps us all hunkered behind these walls, afraid to go outside at night? Probably the same thing that has caused winter to descend upon us a full two moons before anyone expected the first frost? Lets face it. YOU, Halt points toward the shepherd, whose temper helped start the chaos, "don't stand a fleeting chance of surviving this winter and whatever the Weald is about to spit out any more than you stood a chance of surviving those wolves for another minute before we showed up. Seeing the smirk start to form on Bron's face, Halt rounds on him. And neither do you! Or me, Macron, the du Lac's or any ONE of us. Only WE stand a chance of getting through this winter. So yes, we may need to slaughter your flock Graff. Just as Bron may need to use up the rest of his iron stores to beat us all swords and spears to defend against whats coming," Halt shoots the smith a glance, daring him to challenge the point. "But that's whats going to save us. Not THIS" he says, mockingly twisting his fingers in a sign to ward off evil. "So get off your selfish little arses and get to work. Or don't and die, or whatever worse fate the Weald has planned for you. Halt turns from the crowd and heads back to his corner.

Vespernys du Lac wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:05 am “I will go and talk to him,” Vesper said, hopping down from the stool.
"Not alone you won't" Halt says, standing up and slinging his bow. When Vesper makes for the door, he follows her to the gate.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Layna

Post by Layna »

Thievery 1d10!+1: [6]+1 = 7 , Wild 1d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5

While her companions make a show, Layna makes her way through the crowd quietly. Their village had few proper weapons, but she notes more than one knife in the group, and so she does what she can to relieve her friends and neighbors of their deadlier tools, just in case cooler heads fail to prevail.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Academics 1d8!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny ro Reroll
Academics 1d8!!: [3] = 3 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Conviction 1d6!!: [3] = 3

At the mention of Buckawn and Bogun, Gamil has to backpedal a bit into history, as he has been living in the present with a community of humans. And Gamil also recalls the history of the this town enough to know that there was a community of fisherman that lived here before the walls were built and civilization became more permanent.

"Situations like this come in cycles. Whether it is every seven years. Every seventy years. Or every seven hundred years."

"The tiny fishing town that resided on this location years ago, was destroyed from the inside. A similar incident, whether it was an early winter of a lack of rain. The community turned on itself and the once thriving fishing village was gone. No survivors."

"The Weald speaks. We should listen."
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

The crowd in the chapel finally quiets, though some continue grumbling as they return to their homes. It occurs to you that whatever strange fury possessed the wolves and the bear you fought may be infecting your neighbors, as well ...

With Vesper leading the way, the group follows Creighton's boy to the north gate. Already, the boy's footprints have been buried under fresh snow and you worry another half-a-foot will be blanketing the village by morning.

Moonlight shines across the icy expanse beyond the gate, casting strange shadows on the blue-white snow. The path leading north is empty, and for a moment you think Creighton's boy was spinning tales, after all, until a snow-covered rock to one side of the road rises on thin, knobby legs and shakes the powder from its bulbous body.

Phil.png
Phil.png (175.29 KiB) Viewed 33403 times

"Took you long enough. S'pose the boy got lost, hmmm, seemed a tad slow," the figure says, voice rumbling out of his chest like rocks rolling around a stewpot.

The figure addressing you stands no more than three feet tall and resembles nothing more than a giant beard on legs. Vines and twigs are braided through the fluffy mass, from which a large nose and glittering black eyes emerge.

"S-s-s-see! A buckawn!," Creighton's boy says.

"Bah!" the tiny figure exclaims, flipping a lump of snow at the boy with the end of his gnarled walking stick. "You really are simple if you'd mistake a noble korred for a buckawn." He draws himself up to his full height, clearly offended, before continuing.

"Ahem. My name is Phillabaritonhasselbrackentosh," he says, pausing a moment as he waits for recognition. Seeing none, he harumphs, favoring you all with another condescending glare. "You may call me Phil, if it suits your simple mannish tongues."

"I come with a summons for your lord, or his appointed champion. Fionnbharr, the 'tumnal King, demands they join him in his court to parlay. Dark forces upset the natural order, twisting the Veil and unsettling the Weald, and one of your kind is at fault. The King calls you to account, so the wrong may be a-righted."

As if to punctuate his speech, Phil reaches under his beard and pulls out an object that he tosses on the ground with a dramatic flourish. In the bright moonlight, you see it framed against the snow: A scrap of blood-stained cloth to which is attached a golden cloak clasp, fashioned in the shape of a hunting hawk grasping a sword.

You all recognize it immediately as belonging to Cormac du Lac, Vesper's wayward uncle.
Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna hangs back a bit; she’s not one to willingly step into the spotlight. That has always been more @Vespernys du Lac’s thing, and, besides, Ves had volunteered.

When Layna sees the ripped cloth, though, her muscles go rigid and she looks to Vespernys to see how the girl will react. A long and harrowing day looks to be getting even longer.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil wastes no time and moves himself in front of the korred named Phil.

Holding his right hand open, palm up he
Acquired at Harvest's End Performance 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
, one that would be familiar to even a less than noble korred.

"It would appear that you and yours have likewise broken the Truce of Warm Winter of nearly two hundred winters ago. A time before this village was even a thought much less a habital location."

"Maybe you would like me to recite to you the
Academiccs 1d8!!: [7] = 7 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
"
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:51 pm"It would appear that you and yours have likewise broken the Truce of Warm Winter of nearly two hundred winters ago. A time before this village was even a thought much less a habitable location."
The korred takes a step back, surprised by the dwarf's aggressive response. He looks at the runestone without recognition, then seems to shiver when Gamil mentions a "Truce of Warm Winter."

"If you've made some pact with ... him who rules the cold ... it's nothing to do with me or my Lord of Autumn. I'd not mention it in his presence, either, though why he thinks your kind can be trusted in this, I don't claim to know. Why, it hasn't been but the blink of an eye since you mannish thugs tried to invade the Weald with iron and fire, for all that got you."

He harrumphs again and spits into the snow. "My Lord's respected your borders, even when yours come wandering into the Weald. Now one's wandered where he shouldn't have, and loosed things that shouldn't be loosed, and upset things your great-great-forefathers long forgot.

Phil looks aside for a moment, showing a flash of momentary embarassment. "May be the fault wasn't yonder brooch-wearer's alone ... but that's talk for the Lord, when you answer his call for parlay."
Lelya Spriggins

Not one to ever pass up the chance for adventure Lelya stepped forward done singing, and now ready for action. She kneeled near Phil and calmly said, “Phil, I recognize the brooch. It belongs to Cormac du Lac. I may not have authority by station in life to respond to this transgression but my heart spurns me forward. I and my friends have seen the unsettled Waeld first hand. I for my part wish to pledge my resolve to see the wrongs righted.” She looked at Vesper and then Phil wondering if her father had felt like this when he first went on his adventure. “By my words, and life I so swear.”
Stats

Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Occult 1
Occult 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Kaya looked at the creature in astonishment, her tribe had told tales about the fey but she'd never expected to encounter one in the flesh. She was certain that she heard about the particular kind of fey that stood before them and of what he spoke of, though nothing would come to mind. Still, there was something that might be worth asking.

"Pray tell fair creature," Said Kaya as she addressed Phil. "What is the nature of the transgression exactly? If we are to answer your Lord's summons, we need to know what has transpired."
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall/Gates
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

Vespernys followed Creighton’s boy with the others, trudging through the snow. When the mound at the gate revealed itself to be a korred, all beard and nobbly legs and bulbous nose, she was surprised. Fey were things of stories told to scare children to keep them from the Weald. They weren’t often seen. Vesper surely hadn’t seen one before.

“Welcome to Hirstwall, Mr….Phil.” Vesper decided politeness meant not slaughtering the fae’s name by attempting it, since he had given permission to use a short form. “Our hospitality is yours, if you desire it.”

"I come with a summons for your lord, or his appointed champion. Fionnbharr, the 'tumnal King, demands they join him in his court to parlay. Dark forces upset the natural order, twisting the Veil and unsettling the Weald, and one of your kind is at fault. The King calls you to account, so the wrong may be a-righted," Phil reported.

“A wrong? We know of no wrong done by anyone in this village,” Vesper said. “Explain, and we will attempt to right things. My father is away to the south. My mother rules here now.” Vesper paused. That was technically true, but Vesper did most of it. “But she is no kind of person to be traveling in this weather, or into the Weald. I am her daughter and champion.” She claimed the title, though it had never been declared.

Phill threw a piece of bloody cloth down in the snow. Attached was a golden clasp of a hawk and sword.

Vesper gasped. “That is Uncle Cormac’s!” she exclaimed, snatching up the clasp. “Where did you get this? Is my uncle alive?”

Vesper clenched the brooch in her gloved hand. “If he has done wrong, inadvertently or not, and it has brought danger to this village, I am willing to right it. I will parley with your lord,” she told Phil.
Party Loot
Cold iron dirk
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Discoveries/Conviction: 1
Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Occult 3
What Jaenelle Knows 1d8!!: [2] = 2
Wild Occult 1d6!!: [3] = 3
No luck on knowing about the Korred.
As Vesper declares her intention to be the town's Champion, Jaenelle steps up slightly behind her and bows her head to the Korred. Enunciating with precision, she speaks. "Honorable Phillabaritonhasselbrackentosh, I trust your Lord will permit Lady du Lac to be accompanied by an entourage, as befits her station, for this parley, yes?" Her tongue practically aches from the strain of getting the creature's name right, but she manages it just barely. She doesn't know much about the Korred, but the fae often have rules of hospitality.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear
Halt

Post by Halt »

Phil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:05 am "Ahem. My name is Phillabaritonhasselbrackentosh," he says, pausing a moment as he waits for recognition.
At this, Halt snorts, but otherwise manages to suppress his laughter.
Phil wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:05 am As if to punctuate his speech, Phil reaches under his beard and pulls out an object that he tosses on the ground with a dramatic flourish. In the bright moonlight, you see it framed against the snow: A scrap of blood-stained cloth to which is attached a golden cloak clasp, fashioned in the shape of a hunting hawk grasping a sword.

You all recognize it immediately as belonging to Cormac du Lac, Vesper's wayward uncle.
Lelya Spriggins wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:05 pm She kneeled near Phil and calmly said, “Phil, I recognize the brooch. It belongs to Cormac du Lac. I may not have authority by station in life to respond to this transgression but my heart spurns me forward. I and my friends have seen the unsettled Waeld first hand. I for my part wish to pledge my resolve to see the wrongs righted. By my words, and life I so swear.”
Halt lightly kicks some gravel at Leyla kneeling on the ground, making a distinct exasperated "Psh" sound.

"Get up Leyla. You can't go 'pledging your sword' to everything with two eyes and half arsed story about what someone owes him. For all you know, this overgrown furball just wants to lead us into the forest so bunch of his buddies can jump us in the woods."
Mean
Sorry, just playing up Halt's "mean" here, it was fine proclamation"

"Even if that ins't the case...this how it always goes," Halt grumbles, looking back at the brooch as Vesper picks it up "Some bloody nobleman with too much ambition goes and does something stupid, and the common man is the one left to pay the price and clean up the mess. Still, I s'pose the NOT fixing whatever's going on is the lesser of two evils at this point. Alright, lead the way Mr Phil the Baritone...er whatever. " Halt says, waving his hand to indicate 'get a move on'.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Lelya Spriggins

Halt certainly grated on ones nerves. Lelya stifled a shudder when he spoke. She had at one point asked her father about what was Halt’s deal. Her father Jack had chuckled mentioning being mean was a thin veneer for puppy love. She held firm knowing in her heart Halt was wrong and her cause just and true. Still... He is not half bad looking... Hehe.
Stats

Layna

Post by Layna »

Layna stifles a laugh, watching @Halt and @Lelya Spriggins flirt. She whispers, just loud enough to be heard, "Get a room, you two."

She stands a little off to @Vespernys du Lac's side and behind the taller girl, waiting for the odd little creature to respond to @Kaya and @Jaenelle's questions.

She can feel the weight of her little good luck idol sitting heavily in its pouch today
Discovery point spent to activate the idol's hidden power, which is the divination power and 5 PP to cast it, though in exchange for a secret learned, a secret must be offered.
, and her leg tingles ever so slightly where it touches the cloth of her pants. I wonder what's going on with that?
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall/Gates
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

"Some bloody nobleman with too much ambition goes and does something stupid, and the common man is the one left to pay the price and clean up the mess,” Halt said.

Vespernys shot the ranger a glare. “Are you calling me common?” she asked him, putting on her court voice. “Because I am the one that will clean this up. If my uncle did something untoward, then it is the du Lacs that will make it right.” These were her people, and it was her duty to protect them.
Party Loot
Cold iron dirk
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Discoveries/Conviction: 1
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Phil seems startled by the onslaught of questions. Taking a step back, he throws his hands up and seems ready to stop his ears.

"Peace, peace! You all buzz like a batch of dew-drunk brownies," he says. When the questions slow, he looks at Vesper with something approaching sympathy, perhaps regretting the somewhat callous way he tossed down her uncle's cloak-clasp.

"Last any of the forest folk knew, your uncle lived, though he was alone and in, if not mortal peril, then peril of another kind. I don't know his fate, but his actions, if not a-righted, could doom many lives both within the Weald and without."

He nods to Kaya and Jaenelle in turn, acknowledging their questions and perhaps sensing the young women's roles as outsiders in the community.

"It's not my place to say exactly what he's done. The 'Tumnal King is a great master, but not always a forgiving one, and I'll not spoil any secrets he wishes to reveal in his own time. But I'll say this: there are many dark corners in the Weald, and some of the darkest aren't entirely in the Weald, if you follow my meaning. Sometimes things best forgot make their way into those dark places, to hide or be hidden from the world beyond. Your uncle forced his way into one such place, and when he stumbled in, something else stumbled out."

"In the wrong hands, that which was loosed could make many lives very uncomfortable." The knobby-kneed korred shudders and seems to gather his beard around himself like a cloak. "Should it fall into even worse hands ... well, small mercies, we'll not have long to rue our fate."

The korred's dark mood appears to lighten slightly when Lelya, Vesper and others volunteer to parlay, and he nods again when Jaenelle asks about an entourage.

"Aye, I suppose an honor guard is in order, if you're willing to accept the lord's invitation. Just don't bring the village, or we'll be a fortnight in the journey."

He extends his cane, tapping one of the rune-covered pillars worked into the wall surrounding the village.

"I appreciate the invitation, but I'll not be coming in for tea. And I suppose you'll need to gather biscuits and boots and other mannish things before you're ready to venture out beyond your walls."

He sighs, again, in his long-suffering way.

"I'll wait for you at the wood's edge, due north of here where the ravens roost in giant oak. Come to me before the sun reaches its height, or we'll not reach my lord's court by nightfall. And I do not think you wish to journey through the Weald by dark."

Once any further questions have been answered, the bearded fae turns and walks north across the starlit, snow-covered fields, his footsteps never seeming to break through the icy crust of the accumulated snow. You watch his progress for a time, until you blink and he seems to vanish in a gust of snow.

Unless you have further questions for Phil, you now have a chance to sleep and make any preparations you want to make before your journey. In addition, include in your post any instructions you want to leave for the village -- after your performance in the chapel, the villagers will accept your (reasonable) orders. What you tell them to do in your absence, and who you leave in charge, could influence the state of things when you return.
Kaya

Post by Kaya »

Kaya left written instructions on how to treat common ailments, or at least basic first aid to cover most things until she'd returned to administer a proper healer's touch. After a moment's thought she placed what herbs she'd expected to be used close to the door of her vardo, least those who were wary had to venture too far in. She packed the last few things she needed for a journey into the Weald, though she looked woefully at how low her supplies were starting to get.
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall/Gates
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

“I will have something sent to you then,” Vespernys told Phil when he seemed to indicate that the runestones kept him from the village. “Bread and honey and milk? Maybe some sweet wine?” she offered, unsure what he ate, though there were stories from her childhood about what the Fair Folk liked. “And likely only those here are the ones who will accompany me,” she assured him.

Vesper returned to manor and sent a servant to inform her mother to meet her in the audience chamber. She sent other servants to call Handmaid Dynia and Alice Macron to the chamber, as well.

Vesper sat in the large head chair in front of the fire at the head of the room when her mother, the priestess, and the head guard arrived. Her long blonde hair was still in its braid, and she still wore her armor, which seemed to gleam in the firelight. She sipped warm mulled wine from a goblet.

“Please, sit,” Vesper instructed, and she waited while servants came around with the wine. When everyone was settled, she informed them of what she had been told by the visiting fae and the summons to the Autumnal Court. Her mother gasped at the news that Cormac might possibly be alive.

“I have chosen to take responsibility for righting my uncle’s wrong, as it seems to have rebounded on the village,” Vesper said. “I will be leaving in the morning for the Autumnal Court, so we need to arrange affairs in the village. Guardwoman Macron, you will take my place on the newly formed emergency committee, along with Handmaid Dynia. Continue the efforts of the committee, but I would also like you to be assistants and advisors to my mother, Lady du Lac, in the oversight of the village.”

Her mother’s hands fretted with some lacework fearfully, and after the arrangements had been settled, she hurried out.

“Dynia, Alice, a moment,” Vesper said before the other two women left. “My mother is not good with...responsibility,” she told them. “She has trouble making decisions, worries overly. She was chosen for her ability to produce heirs, I am afraid, not her ability to rule, and she has even failed at that, it seems.” Vesper gestured to herself. “Please respect her authority, but I am afraid much of the weight of responsibility must fall on your shoulders. I hope this does not take long, but it might. I will send a word if I can.”

With their departure, Vesper went to the armory. She got another sheaf of arrows, wrapped in oilcloth to keep them dry. She added a small healing kit as well. Finally she returned to her room and stripped off her armor and other gear. She packed for the morning, carefully wrapping a fine dress in oilskin and adding a small beauty kit in case she was required to make herself presentable for a fae court. Then she sank into bed.

Vesper was up with the sun again in the morning, giving final instructions and polishing her armor, before she headed out to meet the others.
Party Loot
Cold iron dirk
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5c ($5)
Gamil

Post by Gamil »

Gamil was not phased by Phil's disregard for his acqusations that creatures from the Weald had been venturing across the Treatise Lands and into human territory.

He is an outsider, so he does not recommend or suggest anyone specifically that should fill a particular role in the work the village and villagers should be done. If he asks, he grunts his consent.

The Cold Iron Dirk does concern him, so much so that he asks if he can keep a hoold of it for further study. The Dirk and the symbols from the cave, have peaked Gamil's curiosity. @Tribe of One.
Halt

Post by Halt »

Halt's initially annoyed at the delay. There are no "mannish" things he needs to gather, as he always keeps good travelling clothes with him and at least a couple days rations, but its clear at least some of the others aren't quite as ready.

Once he heads back into the town though, Halt

Lantern - 25 cp
Bedroll (sleeping bag, winterized) - 25cp
Spear (see below) -100cp
horse (see below) - 300cp
Rope - 10cp
arrows (20) - 10cp
Saddle - 10cp

Total: 480cp
. Remembering Neil's injury from the wolves, Halt also searches out Alice Macron. His small hunting knife would do little for him if something gets too close.

A large man of the watch tells Halt that Macron went up to the du Lac residence, and Halt finds her coming down the path as Halt makes his way there.

"I'm guessing Vesper filled you in?" Halt says as he approaches the retired sell-sword. She nods and Halt turns to walk back down the path with her. "In that case I was wondering, could I borrow a spear from the watch armory? This dinky knife won't go far in a real fight"

Macron eyes Halt, and he resists the urge to squirm. "You know how to use a spear lad?"

"Not well, but I know enough to have a better chance of stabbing the other guy than myself" Halt says defensively.

Macron barks a laugh, "Aye, that is the important part. Follow me."

Macron leads Halt back down to the watch and into the armory, requisitioning a spear for him and gives him a few pointers. Halt has one more stop to make, so he cuts her training session short and heads to the Tanners.

"But why do you have to go?" Elwyn asks visibly upset by the news.

"There's no trusting the Fey, once whatever task they need done is accomplished, they are just as like to abandon the group in the middle of the woods as return them to the village. Those folks will have as much chance as wondering into a bog as making it back safe. They'll need a guide"

"She'll need a guide you mean" Elwyn says, tears in her eyes.

Damnit Elwyn, this isn't about Vesper, its about the village!" Halt says, though he flushes deeply. "Besides there are plenty of others going. Janelle, Leyla, Lanya..." Halt sees the glare forming on Elwyns face as he continues to rattle of the list of young women he will be accompanying into the woods.... "and Neil! Neil will be there too!"

Halt sighs, turning to the window to look out over the snow covered village. "If whatever is happening continues, a lot of people are going to die. Maybe the entire village. I may not like most of the people here, but I can't sit by and let that happen to them. To you."

Halt turns back to Elwyn, and she nods resolutely. Now that he has her support, Halt brings up the other reason he visited before leaving. "Actually, we could really use a horse. I know we have your families mare in our stables, and I was hoping we could borrow it. I'd ask your father but..."

Elwyn rolls her eyes. "Take it. I'll convince Papa that you need it. Now you better get going. Its almost mid-day. The others are probably waiting on you."

Halt flashes a uncharacteristic smile. "We'll be back before we know it. Try to keep everyone from killing eachother while we are gone."

On the way to the gate, Halt stops by a couple of the better woodsman's homes. He makes the point that, if winter is here to stay, it would be better to hunt the woods heavily now while the game is still fat from summer than wait until they are desperate and the game is thin and sparse from a heavy winter. Most nod in agreement, and agree to set extra traps and spend some extra time in the woods hunting while the little expedition team is away.
Halt O'Carrick
Details

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Vespernys du Lac

Hirstwall/Gates
Autumn/Morning
Round 0

As Vespernys was about to leave, she found her mother in the manor’s foyer. She was surprised her mother was up.

“I do not approve of this,” Eliane said. “Your shenanigans, running around like a wild thing in the woods. But...what you do is...good. You should be safe.” She pulled a sword and scabbard out from behind her back and held it out to Vesper.

Vesper gasped a bit. “Is that Grandfather’s sword?” she asked.

“It is,” Eliane said. “Take it, and pray you need not use it. Be safe.”

Vesper hugged her mother. “Thank you,” she said, fighting tears as her mother strapped the sword belt to her waist.
More gear
In addition to the longsword, I added winter clothing and winter boots. That's going to put me over the 500 cp limit, though :(
Party Loot
Cold iron dirk - Gamil
Broken compass

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5c ($5)
Last edited by Vespernys du Lac on Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Layna

Post by Layna »

Not one to leave instructions for anyone, Layna goes home and re-packs her things. She grabs a staff from the miniature “armory” Dad keeps at home, and she leaves word with the guard for him in case she doesn’t see him before morning; with the town in the state it’s in, he’s just as likely to be out all night helping as he is to be back before sunup.

In the morning, she takes great care to wear all of her knives, including that shiny one from the fair. At the last moment, she also dons the “traveling leathers” her father had ordered for her last year. She always thought that was an awfully fancy way to say “leather jacket,” but she humored him when he wanted to commission it and she is grateful for it now. She also grabs some better winter clothes for the road.
Layna
Untested Thief
Character Sheet
Lelya Spriggins

Lelya ventured home eager to share her quest with her father who knew all about them. No doubt he would be able to tell her all about the best way points, and blacksmiths loaded with gear ready to sell an intrepid adventure. But all she found was an empty home, Her father apparently gone without a word. Not a completely uncommon occurrence. A black tabby cat snuggled at her boot. While surprised, She smiled down at him scratching his head. “Where did you come from?”

That evening she tossed and turned hardly able to sleep. The cat silently watched her at the foot of her bed. In the morning after a bit of mutton she hastily scratched out a note asking her dad to feed the new cat and she was off with her pack, shield, armor, and sword for an adventure for what would be the ages. If she had been in less of a hurry she might have noticed the blood splatter underneath the kitchen table. From the porch the black tabby cat meowed and watched her run away.
Stats

Jaenelle

Post by Jaenelle »

Gear acquired
Winter Clothing, Boots (300 cp, 4 enc)
Leather Jacket (30 cp, 8 enc)
Bedroll (25 cp, 4 enc)
Flint & Steel (3 cp, 1 enc)
Waterskins (5 cp, 1 enc)

Once dismissed by Phil, Jaenelle immediately heads back to her home, and begins pulling some of her meager possessions together for the journey--lantern and oil, dagger, sword, and her heaviest robes. After a moment's thought, she also tosses in her only small luxuries--writing materials, to journal the events, and a bar of soap.

In the morning, she rises early and prepares, then opens the door--only to encounter Alice's one-eyed visage.

"Knew you'd be up early. I brought a few things to help you on your journey." The older woman chuckles at Jaenelle's obvious surprise, and pushes into the hut. "Don't worry, there's time. Now, a few basics, first." She sets down a large sack, and starts pulling items from it. "Flint and steel, to make better use of that lantern hanging from your pack." Jaenelle flushed slightly, having not considered that small detail.

"A waterskin. Normally, I'd say take two, but with all the snow about, you shouldn't have trouble refilling it at need. And a bedroll, lined with sheep's wool. That blanket you were planning on taking won't cut it on the trail in wintertime, believe me--not, at least, unless you invite someone to share the warmth." Jaenelle flushed further, much to Alice's gruff amusement.

"And finally...." She pulled out a sturdy leather jacket, again lined with wool, and a set of softer leather boots and skirt to match. "Your normal robes are fine for running to the inn and back, but you'll need something better for a long walk in the Weald. And the jacket... well, I was planning on giving this to you soon, anyway, but after hearing about how you dived under a rampaging bear in order to save your friend, I figured an acceleration was in order."

Jaenelle's head was swimming, by this point--embarrassed, filled with gratitude, and the response to the woman's description of her actions in the fight all flooded her ability form a cogent reply. Finally, she just lunged forward, catching Alice off-guard for a moment with a heartfelt hug. Now her turn to feel awkward, the old soldier patted Jaenelle's back. "There, now, enough of that, girl. Get your new clothes on, and then meet the others. Time's a'wastin'! And don't forget your drills!"

It was only after Alice left that Jaenelle realized the leather of the jacket was a bit older than the rest of the items... old enough, even, to have been worn by a younger woman as she first joined the town militia....

She arrived at the gate with a few minutes to spare, fully outfitted for the journey.
Jaenelle
OOC Comments
Gear

Return to “Adventures”