Eye of the Storm

Post Reply
User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Gamil wrote: "Phil, what happens to those of the court that lose their physical form? Any chance that their spirits remain in the place that they die?"
Phil lowers his eyes and shakes his head.

"When killed by violence, the fae folk simply cease to be. It is one of the reasons the lords of the Courts avoid outright war against each other -- with ages behind us and ages ahead, only the jaded and or the mad would risk existence as easily as mortals do."
Gamil looks back at Willowfrond, "Anything we can do to help her heal and recover?"

"I am a healer," Kaya says. "Though I've never tended to one of the Fair Folk."

"I might have a herb or two that'll help."
Phil looks as if he's about to object, then stops and nods. With spidersilk and some of the herbs from her bag, Kaya wraps Willowfrond's torn wings, soothing the pain somewhat. As she finishes, Lelya moves forward and wraps the battered pixie in her cloak.
“This was my mother’s and always carries the fire of my family’s hearth. May it warm you.”
Willowfrond is overcome by the kindness, and weeps softly. Catching a tear in each palm, she reaches out to the two young women, grasping each by the hand.

"Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place. And maybe my tears can provide a bit of pixie luck, should you need it."

[Kaya and Lelya each gain a Benny.]

Phil nods again in thanks, then ushers the group out of the grove.

Walking swiftly, he leads the way back toward the magical toran that brought you here. And though you swear the wildwood portal was the same one you passed through previously, you find yourself on an entirely different winding stair, ice-covered branches brushing against your shoulders in place of the fire-hued leaves that shaded the earlier path.

e8de368f49c85cc287ce1f132994f7d5.jpg
Phil listens quietly as the group discusses possible strategies, nodding here and there.

His brow furrows into a frown when talk turns to burning or starving out Thurnbarch and his minions.

"Fire could be a useful tool, though less so if Thurnbarch is able to bring the Cold Woman's magic to bear. Might be he could stop the flames from spreading too far. And you'll need to be mindful of time -- if he's got a larder filled, your kin will be frozen and the Winter King on the march by the time he's hungry enough to venture out."

The korred pulls at his beard thoughtfully. "Not sure what would lure the ratmen out of their hole. But you might be better confronting Thurnbarch below, where he has less room to maneuver. In the open air, he can grow as large as he likes, bounding around the battlefield bringing slaughter. Inside, well, he can't swell larger than the hall will hold, and he'll be slowed mightily if he puffs himself too near to that."

Phil shivers, and you notice the air has grown colder. "He's not the sort you want to encounter in a narrow hole in the ground, that's sure, but above, on a battlefield, he's been known to grow tall as a giant and carve furrows in the ground that sprouted crops the next year, watered by all the blood that was spilled."

Any chance to respond to that is lost as Phil announces your arrival. You realize, belatedly, that the stair has disappeared behind you. Stepping through another toran, you are bombarded by howling wind and snow.

Shouting to be heard over the storm, Phil waves you on.

"We're close now. The eye of the storm is only about 30 paces on. Count your steps and don't wander and you should find it soon enough. I'm afraid I can't accompany you -- any farther, and Thurnbarch is likely to sense my presence as he did the pixies. I'll be here -- when the storm settles, I'll know you've succeeded and I'll come to you then."

Left unsaid is what happens if you don't.

Prodding with his staff if needed, he points the way and watches as you lean into the storm.

You fear you may freeze as soon as he drops out of your sight, but as promised, 30 paces farther on the wind drops off abruptly and the flurry of snow clears ahead of you. In the calm eye of the storm, a ruined tower rises between the trees before you. Ice and snow cover the worn stones, and you can see that little remains of the tower's interior. As you approach, you can see shadowed opening on the lower level, a dark threshold leading into the ruins below.

1a97f9fa7cfd483f8a345d7ea7feffba.jpg

Go ahead and make a Vigor check against the Cold. The roll is -2 if you don't have a heavy winter cloak/clothing. Failure gives you a level of Fatigue. However, once within the eye of the storm you can easily build a fire among the tumbled stones, allowing anyone that needs to to warm up and remove Fatigue levels at double the normal rate (so 1 every half hour).

Otherwise, make plans and take action outside as you wish. If/when you decide to head below, we'll use the Exploration rules I outlined here. That means designating a leader/caller (Vesper is probably the default, based on how things have played out) and letting me know where your character will be in the marching order: scout (at the front), vanguard (in the middle) or rear-guard.

In addition, whoever is in possession of the brass compass:
Now that you've emerged from the realm of the Autumn King and back into the "real world," the brass compass you discovered in the shepherd's cave seems to hum slightly in your pocket. When you take it out, you notice that the needle of the compass, which earlier had pointed 15 or 20 degrees east of true north, now points south-southeast, back out into the storm and toward the wintry gloom of the Weald.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

When they left the hollow with the pixie, Gamil had discovered that the chill had not effected him much. Curious about the reason why, as many of the village youth shivered in the cold, Gamil started examining his gear for an explanation.

He inspected each piece of his equipment, until he came across the Shroud of Vecna.

Environmental Protection
, he curses under his breath. "Well that explains a lot. Should likely expect more of that in the future."

Touching the rune just below his neck, a rouch cut snowflake inside a circle, he channels out the effects.

"Hopefully this should help you all till we get somepace warmer."
Weird Science (Rune Casting) 1d8!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 PPE 2 Base + 6 Others other than Gamil
Last edited by Gamil on Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Vigor 4
Vigor 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Kaya gasps in surprise at the sudden snowstorm, though she is still thankful for the winter clothes she'd grabbed before they left the village. Trudging through the deep snow and battling the howling wind every step of the way, she is glad when the eye of the storm is finally reached and calmness descends once more.

"So our options are limited." Kaya says out loud once everyone had made it through. "Perhaps we ought to sneak in and see what things we can turn to our advantage?"

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Vigor 15
-2 difficulty
Vigor 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [17!!]-2 = 15
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys listened to Phil as they emerged into the howling blizzard. She ducked into her hood and turned her back to the wind as she listened, but braved the cold.

“Thank you for getting us here, Phil,” Vesper said.

There was a humming in Vesper’s belt pouch, and she pulled out the old broken compass. It now pointed southwest, back out into the storm and the weald. “Curious,” she mused.

“Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”

“I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.

[Vesper will take rearguard]
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5c ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Vigor vs the cold 12
Vigor: d10-2( gave her winter coat to the pixie) 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 4]+[4] = 18 = total 14-2=12
Lelya Spriggins accepted the tear with great humility. She placed the tear in her breast pocket beneath her leather armor. Against the cold she looked out of place having given her cloak to someone more in need. But if anything she stood taller than normal against the frosty chill. There was a job to be done and armed with her father’s sword, and enchanted shield she would see it done through the strength of her friends.

During the respite she nodded warmly at the dwarve. “Thank you for the warmth master Gamil. We should move on least the magic of your enchantment fade. If no other will take the forward position, I can handle it. If not Perhaps I would best suited to the mid, that way I can easily move to the rear of fore as needed.”

While not super sneaky or observant she was no slouch. Plus if something was going to strike unexpected she would rather it be against herself than any others.

Interesting to note: she is now size one... Perhaps it was the tear or something she ate with the pixies?
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Tribe of One wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 pm
"Thank you, you tender things. May your hearts light the dark in that place."
Halt makes no effort to to hide a derisive snort at the sentimental metaphor.

When they arrive, Halt immediately starts carefully scouting around the the grounds of the tower. Just because the Fey said there was only one entrance, doesn't mean that there actually is only one entrance. Halt doesnt know much about Fey, but from what he has heard, they shouldnt always be taken at their word.
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am
“Does anyone need to rest?” Vesper asked. “We can build a fire. Otherwise we should go on.”
"It would be best to head in as soon as we can. The longer we stay, the more likely they are to notice our presence. Rats are nocturnal, so we will probably have an advantage to head in while its still daytime."

Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 am
“I agree with scouting ahead, seeing what might await us,” Vesper said. “I am not the sneakiest person,” she admitted, “but I can cover you from behind,” she offered.
"I'll scout ahead. We wont be in the woods like I am used to, but I should be able to pass unseen. If nothing else, I've got a kind of a supernatural ability to sense when something is off"

[Halt will scout]
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Seeing as Halt volunteered to take the lead, Layna falls to the rear of the party, keeping her eyes and ears open for anything that might try to sneak up on them.

She doesn’t have much to add to the discussion, other than a quick, ”Okay, let’s go, then.”

[rear guard]
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

With Gamil's rune magic shielding you from the worst of the cold, you take a few moments the examine the outside of the ruins and ice-covered doorway leading into darkness.

The fallen tower proves to be just as empty as it did on first sight and you find no other entrances in the crumbling ruins.

Even within the eye of the storm, chaotic breezes carry a dusting of snow, which drifts in thick piles near the entrance and obscure any recent signs of passage. Here and there, you spot dark patches of pink and crimson ice which you suspect to be frozen blood. The howling wind blocks out any sound coming from within, but you catch the occasional whiff of dust, rot and animal musk on the warmer air that issues forth from the passage. Anyone attuned to the arcane can sense the flow of elemental magic seeping out from below to power the storm.

As the wind whistles at your back, you take the first few steps inside, pausing to let your eyes adjust; the wintry light at your back illuminates the nearest rooms well enough, but the dim glow won't follow you far underground.

Map1.JPG
Leaves and crumbling stone are piled up haphazardly just inside the entrance, and a stone passageway splits off to the right immediately, extending farther than the meager light from outside can reach. Despite the shadows, you can make out several sets of clawed prints in the dust, consistent with the rat-men the pixie described.

Ahead, two openings beckon, the doors that might once have blocked passage long since lost in the splintered mess of rubbish on the floor.

The doorway to the west might have once been a cloak room, judging from the sagging remains of wooden racks that rise from the pile of decayed cloth and rotting wood on the floor. If anyone disturbs the pile, a bedraggled rat -- of the common, four-legged variety -- emerges, screeching in protest, before burrowing back into a safer corner. A few rusty and broken swords can be spotted in the debris, as well as a pair of just barely serviceable daggers hanging from a rat-chewed belt, but nothing of value is obvious from a cursory search.

The eastern passage leads into an area furnished like a sitting room. Time has been kinder to the furnishings here, which include a pair of stuffed chairs upholstered in thick hide and a small couch, arranged around a low wooden table. All are scratched and covered in a thick layer of dust, but more or less intact. There is, however, a sharp, bitter odor in the air -- one that reminds you of a smoldering fire or a recently extinguished match.

One object in the room stands out from the rest: on the table is an old, yellowed skull, painted with strange symbols in fading ink. Atop the skull is a black tallow candle. The wax at the base of the candle appears to have been melted to mount it on the skull, but the wick is fresh and unlit.

Additional rooms extend to the north and east of the sitting room, but you can make out little detail in the fading light. The acrid smell seems to be stronger to the east; to the north, the stench of an animal den dominates.

Feel free to describe your actions as you inspect the initial area, and include any appropriate rolls (Notice to search, etc.). When you're ready to move on, Vesper can call the direction and Halt can make a Stealth roll for the group (which might be modified based on the amount of time you spend searching and how noisy you get ...).

You'll also need some sort of light source if you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark as you progress deeper inside.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Notice 9
Notice 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys peered into the dimly lit room, taking in the cloak room and sitting room. “Anyone have a spare hand?” she asked. “We’re going to need light.” Vesper pulled a torch off her back. She only had one. She dug out her flint and steel and lit the torch. She lifted it high to illuminate the room as they looked around. She drew her father’s longsword. She couldn’t use her bow if she had to carry the torch.

Vesper moved to the center of the room by the table to examine the skull. “Gamil, you know runes. What do you make of this? And Janelle. You do magic. What do you think?”

As the magically inclined studied the skull, Vesper scanned the room.

Torch (3600 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Notice 7
Notice 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
"I can take a torch." Kaya replies. "Least it won't be blinding everyone in the lead."

Kaya also glanced round the room, trying to spy anything that stood out to her.

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Layna, undeterred, grabs the knives and their rat-chewed belt and throws them across her body like a bandolier.

She does her best to keep quiet as she moves.
Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [5]+[1] = 6
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Starting PP: 15
Starting Bennies: 3/3
Casting Light (1 PP base; Mobile +1)
Let There Be Light 1d10!!: [5] = 5
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9
Raise! Light is cast upon her Runesword, and can be kept either as an LBT globe or a 5" long beam
Current PP: 13
Arcane Runes 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Wild Occult 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Benny to Reroll:
Reroll Runes 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Wild Occult Reroll 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Success!

Jaenelle, in the center of the group, tries (less than perfectly) to hide her pleasure at being asked for her opinion. She nods. "As you say, m'lady, I do magic. May I suggest we keep everyone's hands free, for now? If Kaya needs to bandage one of us up, we'll want her to be able to move freely." With that, she gestures over her runesword's blade, calling upon the Light Eternal; the room is immediately lit up as if it were noon.

Then, she steps over to the table, letting her magical light play over the runes, studying them to see if she can determine the candle's purpose.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

“Thank you,” Vespernys told Kaya when the woman volunteered to hold the torch. She handed it over to Kaya. “Now I can use my bow.” Vesper slid her sword back into its sheath and strung her bow instead, pulling an arrow and nocking it, though not pulling the string yet, keeping her eyes peeled.

Torch (Kaya)(3599 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

notice (if needed)
Notice 1d8!: [8!, 4] = 12
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 6!, 3] = 15
As the other prepare items to light their journey into the dark, halt makes a point to avert his eyes. Best not to ruin his visions ability to discern the shadows ahead of them.

Upon entering the room, sees little of interest to him. Watching for any sign of danger, he makes his way to the northern entrance. Slowly he pokes his head around and into the hallway to see if there is anything nearby that might overhear their party.


If he sees nothing he speaks softly back to the group.

"That pixie thing said they got ambushed when trying to make an escape. We should probably make sure there is nothing behind us in case we need to do the same. This way smells like a rat den to me."
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Scanning the entryway, both Vesper and Halt note that, while the prints running into the eastern corridor note a fair amount of rat-folk traffic there, the sitting room appears undisturbed, as if avoided by vermin (of the two-legged as well as four-legged sort) altogether.

The scent of musk is strong to the north, indicating a fair few of the creatures must lair there. Given the time of day, it's possible they're asleep in their nests even now, but if so the sound is muffled as much as the darkness obscures sight.

Meanwhile, Halt notes that the scent of smoke to the east is from more than a cookfire -- it has the smell of burned plaster and old wooden beams, as if a fire burned out of control there in the relatively recent past.

Jaenelle's examination of the rune-covered skull offers a clue as to why the rat-folk might avoid the area. The sigils painted on the skull are flush with necromantic power, of the sort that could anchor a dead soul to the mortal realm. The candle, meanwhile, is most likely a tool for calling forth the bound spirit, requiring only a spark to unleash that power.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
Notice 5
Notice 1d6! 1d6!: [5]+[4] = 9
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

"M'lady, this skull permits communing with the dead--there is a soul bound to it, and lighting the candle would permit us to speak with it. If it is truly the reason the ratfolk avoid this chamber and leave it unguarded, then perhaps the spirit is hostile to them, and we might gain useful information by speaking to it. Alternately, it could be a generally malevolent entity, in which case calling it up would be risky, though I might be able to drive it off, again, in need." Jaenelle waits for Vesper's decision on the matter before taking any specific action.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.

Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”

Torch (held by Kaya)(3598 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Tribe of One »

Lelya Spriggins wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 pm
Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
After seeing Layna pull a brace of rusty but serviceable daggers from the refuse in the cloakroom, Lelya does a bit of digging of her own. Sadly, the longer blades are all broken and rusted to the point of uselessness, but the hilt of one catches her eye -- wrapped around the rotten leather grip is gold ring that has somehow defied the tarnish and deterioration of the rest of the weapon. In fact, as Lelya examines the hilt, the sword's pommel breaks off, allowing her to easily slip the ring off the hilt to take it with her. Inscribed on the inside of the ring is a short phrase in what might be Elvish.

Simple success with Academics or Occult, or a Raise with Common Knowledge (if you don't speak the language)
The inscription says simply, I answer
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am
Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.
Jaenelle (or anyone else who intends to follow Vesper's instruction) can make an Occult check at -2 or a Notice check at -4.

Success
Moving the skull would be a very bad idea. The enchantment anchoring the spirit to the skull is very old, and the vessel has decayed under its power. Disturbing it could cause the spell to collapse in chaotic and potentially destructive fashion, as well as ruining whatever chance there is of activating it as intended.
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am
Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
If Halt wants to scout ahead, just give me Stealth and Notice rolls.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

OOC Comments
Occulty1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild Occult 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Benny to Reroll
Occult Re-roll 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild Occult Reroll 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Meh, screw it, hit me with the failure.
Jaenelle does her best to mask her disappointment at the lost opportunity to display her skill, then nods. "As you say, m'lady." She starts to figure out the best way to remove the skull from its current position.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Jaenelle wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 pm
"As you say, m'lady, I do magic. May I suggest we keep everyone's hands free, for now? If Kaya needs to bandage one of us up, we'll want her to be able to move freely."
Kaya nodded her thanks. "That's reasonable."

Hearing Vespernys speak about the skull, Kaya turns her attention to it for a moment and tries to
Occult 1d4!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
. Though she gleams nothing from it.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: The Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Tribe of One wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:58 pm
With Gamil's rune magic shielding you from the worst of the cold, you take a few moments the examine the outside of the ruins and ice-covered doorway leading into darkness.

The fallen tower proves to be just as empty as it did on first sight and you find no other entrances in the crumbling ruins.

Even within the eye of the storm, chaotic breezes carry a dusting of snow, which drifts in thick piles near the entrance and obscure any recent signs of passage. Here and there, you spot dark patches of pink and crimson ice which you suspect to be frozen blood. The howling wind blocks out any sound coming from within, but you catch the occasional whiff of dust, rot and animal musk on the warmer air that issues forth from the passage. Anyone attuned to the arcane can sense the flow of elemental magic seeping out from below to power the storm.

As the wind whistles at your back, you take the first few steps inside, pausing to let your eyes adjust; the wintry light at your back illuminates the nearest rooms well enough, but the dim glow won't follow you far underground.


Map1.JPG

Leaves and crumbling stone are piled up haphazardly just inside the entrance, and a stone passageway splits off to the right immediately, extending farther than the meager light from outside can reach. Despite the shadows, you can make out several sets of clawed prints in the dust, consistent with the rat-men the pixie described.

Ahead, two openings beckon, the doors that might once have blocked passage long since lost in the splintered mess of rubbish on the floor.

The doorway to the west might have once been a cloak room, judging from the sagging remains of wooden racks that rise from the pile of decayed cloth and rotting wood on the floor. If anyone disturbs the pile, a bedraggled rat -- of the common, four-legged variety -- emerges, screeching in protest, before burrowing back into a safer corner. A few rusty and broken swords can be spotted in the debris, as well as a pair of just barely serviceable daggers hanging from a rat-chewed belt, but nothing of value is obvious from a cursory search.

The eastern passage leads into an area furnished like a sitting room. Time has been kinder to the furnishings here, which include a pair of stuffed chairs upholstered in thick hide and a small couch, arranged around a low wooden table. All are scratched and covered in a thick layer of dust, but more or less intact. There is, however, a sharp, bitter odor in the air -- one that reminds you of a smoldering fire or a recently extinguished match.

One object in the room stands out from the rest: on the table is an old, yellowed skull, painted with strange symbols in fading ink. Atop the skull is a black tallow candle. The wax at the base of the candle appears to have been melted to mount it on the skull, but the wick is fresh and unlit.

Additional rooms extend to the north and east of the sitting room, but you can make out little detail in the fading light. The acrid smell seems to be stronger to the east; to the north, the stench of an animal den dominates.

Feel free to describe your actions as you inspect the initial area, and include any appropriate rolls (Notice to search, etc.). When you're ready to move on, Vesper can call the direction and Halt can make a Stealth roll for the group (which might be modified based on the amount of time you spend searching and how noisy you get ...).

You'll also need some sort of light source if you don't want to be stumbling around in the dark as you progress deeper inside.
Gamil rather instinctively motions to Vesper and the others that he would rather be in the front or the back of the group as his vision is effected by light in dark places.

He does however scrutinize the area. Squinting his right eye (Eye of Vecna - Detect Arcana) he does a sweep of their surroundings.

Wondering if there might be
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
he does his best at searching without the magic. Blind as a bat, Gamil follows the group forward into the ruins.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Tribe of One wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Lelya Spriggins wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:05 pm
Always partial to swords Lelya breaks away from the group to take a look at the discarded swords. “Shine some light over here will ya?”
After seeing Layna pull a brace of rusty but serviceable daggers from the refuse in the cloakroom, Lelya does a bit of digging of her own. Sadly, the longer blades are all broken and rusted to the point of uselessness, but the hilt of one catches her eye -- wrapped around the rotten leather grip is gold ring that has somehow defied the tarnish and deterioration of the rest of the weapon. In fact, as Lelya examines the hilt, the sword's pommel breaks off, allowing her to easily slip the ring off the hilt to take it with her. Inscribed on the inside of the ring is a short phrase in what might be Elvish.

Simple success with Academics or Occult, or a Raise with Common Knowledge (if you don't speak the language)
The inscription says simply, I answer
"
Academics 1d8!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
."

As Layna holds the ring in her hand, Gamil notices the inscription. " 'I answer.' "

"Interesting inscription. In Elvish no less."

Tribe of One wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am
Vespernys turned her attention to the skull when Jaenelle reported on it. “Let’s not go looking for more trouble,” she said. “Pack it away. Take it with us. We can deal with the spirit at some other time, when it is safer. And if the rat-folk are scared of it, perhaps we can use that to our benefity, as well,” she instructed the Tender.
Jaenelle (or anyone else who intends to follow Vesper's instruction) can make an Occult check at -2 or a Notice check at -4.

Success
Moving the skull would be a very bad idea. The enchantment anchoring the spirit to the skull is very old, and the vessel has decayed under its power. Disturbing it could cause the spell to collapse in chaotic and potentially destructive fashion, as well as ruining whatever chance there is of activating it as intended.
Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am
Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
If Halt wants to scout ahead, just give me Stealth and Notice rolls.
Gamil is accustomed to old things and runes generally fall into that classification.
OOC Comments
Though those negatives are likely to make Gamil look like an idiot and a fool.

Notice 1d4!!-4: [5!!]-4 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0

"Best to leave the past alone. If the ratmen avoided this place, it was for a good reason. We should likely do the same, at least in regards to something that well inscribed."

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Vespernys du Lac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:29 am
Vesper looked to the north and stopped by Halt. “If the rat-folk are that way, and perhaps asleep during the day, would this be a good time to take them out? Before we head down and confront Thurnbach?” she quietly asked. “Can you sneak down there and look, see what we are dealing with?”
"I can certainly try. Light is going to be the tricky part though. I need enough to see by but not enough to wake the ratmen. I'll need someone to follow behind me with a torch.

Halt turns to @Layna "You seem to be the least incompetent when it comes to avoiding notice. Grab the torch from our resident gypsy over there and follow behind me 50 paces or so."

After a moment of no response he adds a falsely sweet "if you please"
Stealth 5
Stealth 1d10!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3
Notice 4
Notice 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!: [3] = 3
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Layna
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Layna »

Layna snorts at @Halt and then chuckles quietly. "Yeah, yeah. One minute there, big guy."

First, she takes a long look at the skull, her curiosity getting the best of her.

Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [6]+[5] = 11 -4 for scene, +2 for alertness =4


"Wait!" Layna holds up her hand. "No, don't move it. Look, there, see that?" She points at an inscription on the skull. "Now, I don't know much about magic, but my da showed me some of the marks that the carpenters use in their work, and that looks an awful lot like the mark for "connect". If we move it from that spot, who knows what that thing might do? I say we leave it where it lies."

Then, turning to follow Halt, Layna makes her way forward as quietly as she can, keeping her eyes peeled.

Scouting Notice 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[5] = 7 +2 = 7
Scouting Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [2]+[2] = 4
Benny Stealth 1d8!, Wild 1d6!: [7]+[3] = 10
Layna
Untested Thief
Pace: 6; Parry: 5, 6 w/staff; Toughness: 7(2)
Notes/Edges:Curious; Fortune's Favor (+1 Benny/session); Thief; Alertness (d8+2)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: BtW WIP Posts

Post by Tribe of One »

Layna's word of warning about the skull likely averts disaster -- now that it's pointed out, Jaenelle notices that the runes that cover the skull have grown frayed and unstable. Physically moving it would have caused the enchantment to collapse entirely, with potentially explosive results. If the group decides not to call on the spirit bound to the skull, best to leave it undisturbed.

As the others huddle in the torch-lit study, Halt and Layna creep forward into the room to the north, which opens up into what once might have been a hall or other large gathering place. Now, the shadows flicker over looming heaps of broken furniture and other refuse which, judging by the animal-like smell and faint sounds of breathing, serve as nests for the resident rat-folk.

Based on the whistling snores and chirps coming from the largest pile of debris, Halt estimates there might be as many as seven or eight of the vermin asleep in the central heap. Smaller mounds in the northwest and southeast corners of the room likely contain several more. To the northeast and southwest, darkened passages lead farther into the ruin.

Map2.JPG

With a path across the floor more or less clear, Halt believes he could lead the group to the southwest hallway without disturbing the rats. Alternatively, the group could use the creatures' slumber as an opportunity to strike the first blow, either with an ambush or a fire as discussed earlier.

Let me know how you want to proceed. If you want to move along quietly, a Stealth check at -2 from Halt (with support rolls from anyone who'd like to make one) will do it. Otherwise, we'll likely handle it as a Quick Encounter, with modifiers/success thresholds based on your approach.
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys considered as she studied the room with the rat folk. “Does anyone have anything that can take out a massive amount of them at once?” she asked in a whisper. “If not, we will have to hope we can sneak by. Any magic...fireballs or anything?”

Torch (held by Layna)(3596 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Lelya looked at @Vespernys du Lac with determination on her face. Her hand gripped her father’s sword and sheild. She whispered, “Lets get those rats. Halt, remember when we were younger and broke into Nana Haders larder?” Lelya quietly mimics various bends, skips, and climbing maneuvers required to apperently get into the treasure trove of food. Clearly none of it was appropriate to sneaking, but at least she was trying.
Athletics for Support, 1d8! 1d6!: [1]+[2] = 3
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6

User avatar
Halt
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Halt »

Halt looks sideways at Lelya prancing around, but otherwise says nothing

She makes it too easy. Takes half the fun out of it...

"I don't like the idea of leaving these things at our backs. Whatever happens farther in, it will probably get loud enough to wake these up, and then we will have to fight our way out. Unless we really think we can free this 'cold woman' without a fight - unlinkely since this ThornBark guy probably has the key to a cage or something on him - I think this is going to be the best odds we are going to get. That said, I'll go along with whatever you decide Vesper."
Halt O'Carrick
Details
Bennies: 2 / 3
- 1 with interlude to receive token

Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 8(2)

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Woodsman: +2 to Survival and STealth in the wilds
Elan: +2 when spending a benny to reroll
Menacing: +2 to intimidation
Danger Sense: +2 to notice for surprise. Notice at -2 to detect hazard

Notable Hindrances:
Mean: -1 to persuasion
All thumbs: -2 to mechanical/electrical device rolls

Update Signature

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

"Agreed." Nodded Kaya. "We're gonna have to deal with them somehow."

"Perhaps scare them, even smoke them out with fire, to get them to flee?"

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

Jaenelle shakes her head, also speaking softly. "Giving them a chance to run is giving them a chance to return. Best we deal with this... Efficiently.". She draws a line across her throat to emphasize her meaning.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil pulls his his Runed Heirloom Great Axe from his back. He begins manuevering the double blades and soon has the weapon converted. "
Oath of Droam (Burst - Damage Modifier - Lingering Modifier)
?"

Before lighting anything on fire, he pats the Runed Authoritative Rod on his belt, "I can then
Elemental Manipulation - Fire
whereever we need them."

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys considered the situation and nodded. “Halt. Pull back,” she instructed. “Let’s see if we can’t contain the fight to this doorway so that their numbers will work to our advantage, limit their access to us. Swordsmen in the front, archers and mages in the rear. Gamil, drop the fire on the largest concentration of the ratfolk, get as many as you can. After that, try and spread the fire to cut them off, limit the numbers further that can get to us in the doorway. The more we can make them into smaller groups, the easier to deal with.”

Vesper was a bit surprised at herself. Who would have known listening in to her father’s and uncle’s military talk would have been of use to her.

Torch (held by Layna)(3595 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Gamil nods towards @Vespernys du Lac and
From the "southern" doorway, Gamil goes four squares "west" and two squares "north". He lines up his "spell to spread a cone from the center pile to the "southeast" corner pile.
, careful not to step on any moving objects, like tails or randomly twitching paws.

Weird Science 11, Success, Raise
Oath of Droam
Burst - Damage Modifier - Lingering Damage
Weird Science 1d8!!: [2] = 2 Wild 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11
Burst Fire Damage 4d6!!: [2, 11!!, 11!!, 10!!] = 34
Waiting on Elemental Manipulation and Burrow

User avatar
Tribe of One
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:28 am

Re: BtW WIP Posts

Post by Tribe of One »

Map3.JPG
After the brief discussion, Halt and Layna pull back to the study and make room for Gamil to move into the shadowed chamber that may once have been a great hall but now houses a warren of slumbering ratfolk. Moving carefully, he positions himself to the west of the largest nest, then points his reconfigured axe and activates the magic within.

The resulting gout of flame engulfs the piles of ancient wood and rotting cloth in spectacular fashion. Hot as dragonfire, the blaze almost explodes as it devours the nests and their occupants in a flash, too quickly for most to even scream. Those of you still in the study feel a rush of chill wind as the fire sucks air from the adjoining hallways. Black smoke fills the hall and forces you to duck to avoid it.

Ratfolk1.png
Ratfolk1.png (105.16 KiB) Viewed 186 times

A few ratfolk do emerge from the smaller, surrounding nests, shrieking in surprise that quickly turns to rage. Retrieving crude spears and cruel swords from their dens, they snarl and advance on Gamil, who has fire and smoke to contend with, as well.

The cacophony has alerted ratfolk elsewhere in the ruins, as well. Within seconds, a trio of ratfolk come charging toward the study from the unexplored area to the east -- one of them a hulking brute nearly as large as an ogre, scarred lips bared in a snarl as he barrels forward wielding a pair of spike maces.

RatfolkChamp.png
RatfolkChamp.png (122.37 KiB) Viewed 186 times



Time for a Quick Combat!

We'll handle this as a modified Quick Encounter. Each player may roll an appropriate combat skill (Athletics for throwing, Fighting, Shooting, or an Arcane skill if using magic). Each success will kill a normal ratfolk -- a Raise will kill two -- but the ratfolk champion can only be defeated with a Raise.

In this encounter, you'll need to specify which part of the fight you'll take part in:

The Burning Warrens/Great Hall
  • Successes needed: Four, one for each ratfolk
  • Modifiers: The smoke and flames impose a -1 penalty to all rolls

The Study/East Hall
  • Successes needed: Two successes to kill the ratfolk, plus a Raise to kill the champion
  • Modifiers: None. However, if the champion isn't killed, a random PC involved in the fight will take 1d3 Wounds (which can be soaked as normal).


Risk of Injury
Regardless of success or failure, each character risks injury during the fight -- how much depends on how you approach the fight.
  • Full Defense: Staying out of harm's way is your priority. You suffer a -2 penalty to your Quick Combat roll, but take no damage if successful. On a failure, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises.
  • Cautious: You fight carefully, but don't hold back. On a failure, you take a Wound, which can be Soaked as usual. With a success, you only suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises, and on a Raise you emerge unscathed.
  • Fast and Furious: You attack like a wild berserker. You gain a +2 to your Quick Combat roll. On a failure, you suffer 1d4 Wounds, or 1 Wound with a success (Wounds can be Soaked normally). With a Raise, you suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises instead.


Resource Use
If using Athletics (Throwing), Shooting or an arcane skill for your Quick Combat roll, you'll also use up resources, depending on how you approached the battle.
  • Full Defense: You use 1d2 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Cautious: You use 1d3 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
  • Fast and Furious: You use 1d4 Power Points (if attacking with magic) or pieces of ammunition (if using Athletics or Shooting).
GM Bennies: 8/8

User avatar
Lelya Spriggins
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 05, 2020 10:05 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Lelya Spriggins »

Study East Hall, Fast and Furious using fighting total 17, Killed Champ
: d10+2 (sword gives +1 also). 1d10! 1d6!: [10!, 4]+[2] = 16
Sometimes you have to Fight. When you draw your blade make it fast and furious.

Her father’s words quietly rolled in her mind as she saw the scene unfold. She had barely enough time to pocket the ring she had found when roused by the flame a trio of rats approached from the East Hall. Like her one was big and brawny. Her blade was clenched in her hand and her buckler gripped in the other. Shadow danced mircelessly cast on the tunnel walls thanks to the fire. She cried tumbling and bounding over the garbage toward the trio yelling, “Arrghhh, We are Hirstwall!” In the end, blood dripped from her blade and bodies littered the ground, maybe one or two rats in the east hall were just left alive enough for someone else to finish them off, but the big brawny one... Leyla kicked its severed head further down the hall as a warning. She rubbed her face with her off hand wondering if she had strained her self yelling. Her cheek was bruised but nothing was broken. She turned to see how her friends were fairing, particularly Halt and not just because he carried her platinum piece. If I have to die, I am glad it is with friends.

1 lvl fatigue bumps and bruises.
Stats

Agility d10, Str d8, Vigor d10, Spirit d8, Smarts d6
Toughness:7+1=8
Toughness with leathers: 10(2)
Pace:6

User avatar
Gamil
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Gamil »

Call it instinct or knowledge that there are enemies about, Gamil is certain that he is outnumbered. Still
Risk of Injury - Cautious
, he drops his right hand down to grasp the Rod of Vecna (Elemental Manipulation).

Eyeing the conflaguration of the center pile, he wonders for a moment why he was never able to get more than a matchstick flame from the old ax before. Oh well, giving a slight shrug, he raises his right hand holding the Rod and touching the runes inscribed. Pointing at the bonfire he summons forth
Scene Modifier -1 (not added into the die roll) Weird Science 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13 Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
.

The power courses from Gamil, through the Rod, and into the bonfire. The power coalesces into a ball of flame the size of a man's head and continues to grow, until it is about
Resource Use - Fast and Furious - PPE 1d4: [3] = 3
. Gamil is hardpressed to hide his amazement and then remembers the pile of refuse in the NorthWest Corner. With the Rod he keeps the Fireball level and watches as the smoke and ash are consumed around it. With a flick of his wrist he sends the flaming orb into the corner.

User avatar
Kaya
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Kaya »

Great Hall, Cautious Fighting 4
Fighting 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [3]-1 = 2

Bennie

Fighting 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4

Fatigue; Bumps and Bruises
Kaya drew her rapier and stood grim-faced as she waited to see whether anything had survived Gimli's explosive opening attack. It appeared that a couple of the rat creatures had survived and rushed the intruders to their domain. She managed to parry, and then skewer one of the creatures with her rapier but left herself vulnerable to it's fellow who blindsided her. Thankfully the blow wasn't a heavy one for it left her winded rather than actually hurt.

User avatar
Vespernys du Lac
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Vespernys du Lac »

Broken Tower
Autumn/Afternoon
Weather: Blizzard
Round 0

Vespernys cringed as Gamil walked into the room, against her orders, but she couldn’t fault the results of his fireball as the heated air swept her brown hair back in a rush. She hadn’t expected the giant ratman from the other room, however! She spun, pulling her bow, torn between protecting Gamil and the new threat, but Lelya was already on it, hacking and slashing the great beastman and his companions with that sword of hers, taking them out single handed.

Vesper turned back to cover Gamil, only to find that the dwarf had taken out another three of the remaining ratfolk, leaving one that Kaya stabbed through with her rapier. Vesper blinked in the smoky air. There didn’t appear to be any of the ratfolk left standing. She eased the tension out of her bowstring and replaced the arrow in her quiver.

“Um...good job, everyone,” Vesper said, coughing a bit from the smoke. She was a bit disoriented as time seemed to speed back up to normal from the slow speed of the fight, only to realize it had taken very little time to end the fight. “Is everyone okay? Anyone hurt?”

Torch (held by Layna)(3594 r)
Ruins layout
Single entrance
Small library
Larger room with junk piled - rats
Cold wind coming from the west.
Possibly more junk piled rooms?
Thurnbach’s lair - tools and bloodstained tables, meat closet
Steps leading down to winter wind.
Party Loot
Broken compass
***

[OOC=Vespernys Tracker
Vespernys Character Sheet
Parry: 7; Toughness: 9 (3)
Bennies: 4/4
Discoveries/Conviction: 0
Armor: Deflection; 5/5 PP
Arrows: 36
First aid kit: 3 uses
Money: 5cp ($5)
Weapon Specialization (Bow): +2 damage with bows
Heavy Draw: If you don't move in a round, you can do Str+d6 damage with a bow instead of 2d6.
Aim: If a character spends her entire turn Aiming a ranged weapon at a particular target and takes no other actions, on her next turn she may ignore up to 4 points of Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed penalties; or add +2 to her roll. Her attack must be used on the first action of her next turn or the bonus is lost.
Steady Hands: Ignore Unstable Platform penalty. Running penalty is only -1.[/OOC]
NPCs and clues
Thurnbarch - boggart champion of the Autumn King who has the Cold Woman; can grow large
Phil - korred guide and advisor of the Autumn King.
Cold Woman - fey released by Cormac du Lac.

User avatar
Jaenelle
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:18 pm

Re: Eye of the Storm

Post by Jaenelle »

Raise, F&F, East room clear
East Room:
Fighting: 1d6, TMW+1, Fast and Furious +2
Fighting 1d6+3: [3]+3 = 6
Wild Fighting 1d6+3: [2]+3 = 5
Last Benny:
Fighting Re-Roll 1d6+3: [3]+3 = 6
Wild Fighting Re-Roll 1d6+3: [5]+3 = 8
B&B Fatigue -1

Jaenelle blinks in surprise as the dwarf moves forward and ignites the conflagration. I meant we should be quiet and slit their throats... right, no subtlety next time.

With the conflict underway, she moves to follow Leyla; as the woman lays into the deformed champion, Jaenelle moves to intercept the lesser ratfolk who attempt to swarm around her. She takes up Leyla's manner, launching herself at the beastial foes with reckless abandon. They go down before her blade, though she finds herself exhausted by the exertion.
Jaenelle
Human Student of the Dark Arts
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Pace: 6/d6; Parry: 5/6; Toughness: Torso/Arms 8(2); Legs 7(1); Head 6
Skills: Athletics d4, Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Stealth d4, Occult d8, Research d4, Survival d6, Spellcasting d10, Fighting d6 (+1 w/ Runesword)
Edges: AB: Magic; Trademark Weapon: Runesword
Powers: banish, darksight, protection, boost Fighting/Shooting/Athletics; light
Gear
Runesword: Str + d6, may have other properties
Ritual Dagger: Str + d4
Reward amulet: Properties unknown

Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”