Episode 1.1 Talis

Not as good as the original, better than the prequels.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Episode 1.1 Talis

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

I mentioned before how I wanted to do purely role play based threads so I can get a better idea of characters. Thus I would in theory be able to make more interesting side/personal/solo missions.

In addition I’ll probably do the solo missions here as well

This is Talis’s
Talis

Re: Episode 1.1 Talis

Post by Talis »

Affirmative, did you want one from before he met the others, say his escape from Kessel?
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Sounds good, sorry I didn’t see this until now
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis was practicing his combat forms, not that he had a lightsaber or anything fancy like that. No, he had a simple piece of shaped metal to work with, scavenged from a bin of broken parts and shaped until his master was happy with the heft and balance. His master said that, before there were Lightsabers, the Jedi uses blades a lot like this to fight with. It is hard to remember how old the Jedi Order is, but given that age it is easy to believe they might have strayed from the vision of the first Jedi.

He has the blade at high guard when his master suddenly stumbles.

"Master," he inquires with concern? His master's mind is not the only thing that was damaged about him, his health may be failing him.
OOC Comments
I have in mind for his master to have just sensed the presence of the enemy who is hunting for Jedi. The master should instruct Talis to follow the escape plan while he delays and distracts the darksider.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The master looks to Talis. “I’m fine...” he said before a short hard cough “but I suppose that things here are not. I sense a dark presence closing in...they already realize that I am here.” He turned to his Padawan directly in the eyes “you should go now. He only knows about me. We must keep it that-“ suddenly there is a low deep rumbling that feels as though it is coming from a very deep place below the earth surface, and then it suddenly appeared again. Almost like the heart beat of the planet “yes, go now, before it’s too late.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis knows there are three possibilities. First that this is a test, that the master will be following his actions and stop him at some point...this is generally the most likely scenario. The Second possibility is that the master is having one of his episodes, where his thinking is clouded by the damage he suffered. The third possibility is that the master is right, that he has been discovered and that a powerful dark side adept is about to arrive.

It does not matter which is true, he has to act the same. He puts his training blade into the rack and leaves the room. He enters the nearest common area and checks the clock. The date and time tell him where the guards will be and what freighters will be arriving or docked. From then it is just a matter of following the plan. Avoid the patrols, grab the supplies he will need based on the ship he will be on, shadow the loading droid to get on the ship without the cameras seeing him, get in his hiding place, and place himself into a trance to reduce his biological needs and life signature.

He has to enter he ship unarmed, there are weapon sensors. That is the first mistake many attempting to escape make.

The ship also does not have an air supply, it is droid run. It has an atmosphere yes, but made of inert gasses, thus he needs an air supply, but also needs to meditate so he does not run out of air before they reach the destination. Learning to stay in a trance long enough was the hardest part.

He keeps waiting for the Master to come and get him, to show this is just a test, but the ship takes off and he never comes.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

As they rise into the sky Talis was able to peer through the one of the small glass ports Along the walls of the cargo bay. It was only the size of a fist, as they were for inspecting the cargo without having to ruin the vacuum seal, but this was enough to catch a glimpse of blaster bolts flying randomly into the sky. They seemed like they were all bouncing off the same small point but went off in ever which direction. He couldn’t actually tell for sure what the point was, but he could suspect. Finally a very large blast bolt fired out towards the point. It for a brief moment silhouetted The shape of a large walker like object before the bolt slammed hard into the ground with a powerful explosion.

Meanwhile the two droids in the cockpit chirped and whistled amongst each other as they discussed take off.

Translation
Detecting heavy cross winds ahead. Suggestion. divert exit vector to covert cross winds to tail winds.

Negative. Planed vector is off. Cargo load weight is off. Calculating new vector. Calculated. Cross winds factored. Likely hood of course diversion is 50 percent. Likely hood of non correctable Course diversion 0 percent. Proceeding with new escape vector.
Talis

Post by Talis »

The problem is that Talis has a limited air supply, he must remain in meditation or risk running out before arrival. As much as his curiosity wants him to investigate, he has to remain as motionless as any other cargo. This also helps him avoid detection, though the Droids have possibly realized the ship is slightly overweight.

Patience is the hardest thing, sometimes waiting is all you can do.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The Droids continued to communicate as they approached the upper atmosphere

Droid speck translation
PD34: Course vector corrected. Course vector corrected. Course vector corrected. Analyzing. Lack of cargo Balancing is effecting course. Suggestion. Adjust cargo.

4CR: proceeding to adjust cargo.

The droid not currently piloting gave a short message to the control tower about the communications droid needing to leave the console for minor corrections. 4CR then proceeded into the cargo hold. Where it found Talis.

Translation
Analyzing. Cargo data not found. Processing. Cargo data created. Adjusting cargo location.

The droid then proceeded to lift Talis with a miniature tractor beam, and move him to a new location. However there was suddenly a loud movement above them.

PD34 than came in over the loud speaker

Translation

PD34: additional Cargo misbalance detected. Suggestion. Adjust cargo.

4CR: Recorded cargo is has not shifted. Processing. Processing. Processing complete. Confusion present.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is not in a deep enough trance to be unaware of his surroundings, though he remains still, evidently the droid handling him is a class V cargo droid, with very basic programming. The pilot droid is probably more intelligent, being Class I or Class II, so not drawing attention from it is more important.

The statement about additional mass being added is worrisome, it indicates someone has boarded..and that the someone is probably not authorized cargo inspector. It is possibly a spice raider trying to steal the cargo before the ship can enter hyperspace. Talis reduced his trance a bit to increase his awareness, but waits to decide what, if anything, to do.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The cargo droid upon further inspection actually appears to be a communications droid with loading subroutines and loading equipment. However that didn’t much matter as PD34 suddenly began to talk a lot quicker. Something about the hyper drive beginning it’s automatic sequence. Quickly both Talis and 4CR were thrusted backwards as the ship began to increase speed to escape the atmosphere faster. Both of the droids started to give off an error message over and over again as the hyper drive started to engage.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis rolls across the floor as the ship's acceleration compensators engage a fraction of a second late, hitting a cargo container with jarring force. Analytically, he thinks, Someone just remotely accessed the navicomputer and entered a false jump command. Probably a very short jump or we will probably wind up in the Maw. Likely there is a crew waiting there to offload the spice.

The question is not what has happened or even why, the question is, whose side is he on in this case? Should he help the cargo ship, or sneak onto the Pirate?"
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

There was a loud auditable pop followed by the easily recognizable hiss of plasma cutters, as a circle was carved into the ceiling of the cargo hold. Air quickly began to transfer into the cargo hold. Thus Talis didn’t particularly have to worry about air anymore. However the chunks of metal that feel from the new hole in the ceiling meant that he would have to worry about something else instead.

A pair of figures dropped down into the hold. Presumably they hadn’t noticed Talis yet, and Talis couldn’t get a good look at them without possibly revealing himself.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis makes up his mind, this Spice shipment is legal, the Pirates will not use it for any good purpose if they get their hands on it. He needs to help out.

He turns off his breather and starts breathing the local air, since he now can, and tries to decide what he can do.

He is not far from the droid, he quickly goes over to the droid and shuts it down and then turns it back on. The odds are good that will reset whatever the remote slicer did.

If the Droid reboots, he will tell him softly, "I am unit P07 assigned to defend this cargo. I have awakened because this ship has been boarded by pirates. I require your assistance. I wish that you remove the binding straps on this cargo load and when I say the word 'mark' I wish you to lift the port bow corner of the lowest cargo box in the stack one meter into the air. Are my instructions understood?"

He thinks, This might not work on a smarter droid, but the cargo droid has already accepted that I am cargo, it may work.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

4CR starts sending out auditable error messages before he finally stopped at looks at talis. It might have been that the young Padawan had tricked him or it could have been that the droid was programmed to listen to humans. Regardless it went to go complete the task it have been given

Luckily the two individuals were busy doing...something. One of them yelled out something about justice for the slaves mining spice, before slicing one of the cargo containers in half. The other one said something, but not loud enough for Talis to hear. Regardless the exhaustion of having to work with someone so eccentric as his partner was very evident in his voice.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis thought, I should have said I was unit T41I5, but at least it seems to have worked.

He moved around to a spot where he could see the pirates more clearly and waited for them to get closer to the stack he has 4CR ready to lift. When the position seems right, he says, "MARK!"

The droid lifts the corner of the container as directed, causing the higher containers in the stack to fall over onto the pirates. With luck, one or both of them will be trapped under the containers...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Talis was finally able to see the two figures. The first was a human female with almost platinum blonde hair. She also wore what appeared to be a patch work of either clone or coruscant guardsmen armor. Regardless now it was painted a dark blue with silver accenting thus hiding what ever it originally was. It was also polished and a republic symbol showed proudly on the shoulder pualdron, which was strange as she didn’t seem like she would be republic. Nor would the republic have any reason being here either. The other looked distinctively more like a pirate as he wore a simple hooded poncho along with a Wookiee bow caster over his shoulder.

To the slight dismay of Talis’s plan the hooded one seemed to have no reason to remain in the cargo hold, and was already making his way towards the cockpit. Making it seem as though there goal was likely the entire ship rather than just what they could carry.

However the armored individual did move into the young Jedi’s trap. Upon the boxes falling down towards her she quickly drew a sword that easily sliced through any of the boxes that came down at her. However she still was knocked down flat as the spice and remains of the boxes still rained down onto her
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis calls upon the force to guide and strengthen him as he sneaks up on the armored individual and aims a powerful blow at the area JUST below the helmet. That area, left weak for flexibility, is one of the few places an unarmed person might knock out someone armored like this woman is.

If he succeeds in knocking her out, he will grab her sword and head towards the cockpit. If he fails, he will probably wind up wrestling her for the sword, which seems less likely to capture her alive (if he can do it at all).
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The armored individual certainly seems heavily dazed but otherwise fine as she looks up at Talis she then loudly yelled out “slaver scum!” Before she grabbed a box to swing into Talis.

4CR meanwhile was now panicking as he began to restock the cargo. Eventually he does stop at the armored figure

Translation
Analyzing. Cargo data not found. Processing. Cargo data created.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis dodges and comments, "Considering I am escaping that place, you might want to rethink that insult."

He suggests to 4CR, "This cargo needs to be lashed down."

He is glad she seems to have forgotten her sword for the moment.
OOC Comments
Talis will attempt to grab the sword if she is not using it...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid quickly goes to secure the new cargo but the woman manages to hold her sword up right as the strap goes over her. After moment of dealing with the rest of the boxes on top of her she squares towards Talis.

PD34 meanwhile is very loudly yelling error, and asks for security before suddenly going silent right as they come out of hyper space.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis uses the time while the stranger is escaping the bonds to head to the cockpit. He grabs a support strut when the abruptly drop out of hyperspace, and then (prompted by the force) uses it to pull himself out of the way as the armored woman charges towards him...and past him. He gives her a hard push as she passes so that she crashes into something in the cockpit.

Talis follows a moment later, not sure what he will see.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Talis walks up upon the armored individual on top of both the pilot droid, and the hooded individual.

PD34 suddenly starts giving a warning message as the cockpit begins to turn towards a planet. The inertia almost immediately returns as they slowly begin to plummet towards the planet.
Talis

Post by Talis »

If possible, Talis will first grab the sword, then suggest to the others, "Look, I doubt it will do any of us any good if we crash into the planet. Why why don't we discuss things in a civilized manner in a place where we will not be breaking any controls while the droid stabilizes the ship?"

He will explain, if the others agree to listen, that the top Glitterstim producer is the Republic prison mines. They are not slaves exactly, but rather people who were given a sentence to the mines instead of the death sentence they might otherwise have been given. This ship is a Republic shipping vessel.

There are, however, at least two different cartels who have production in areas outside the Republic control. Those probably do include slave organizations. It is not impossible that there are smuggling compartments on the ship where some spice from hose is also being shipped. It seems likely that the droids have been programed to accept additional cargo. If the others want to avoid Republic entanglements, they should not steal or destroy the ship, however any illegal cargo, the Republic would have no reason to complain if it is removed.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The two individuals stand up which allows the pilot to quickly begin correcting their course. The two figures then look at each other as they don’t particularly believe that this is a republic vessel. So the armored one pulls out a long knife as the other pulls out his Wookiee made bow caster
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis backs out of the cockpit, but calls, "Check the registration transponder if you do not believe me. Also, do not fire that bowcaster inside the ship, it has enough power to pierce the hull, I would prefer not having any holes in that. This is an unarmored trade ship, not some warship."

He really hopes that the person with the bowcaster listens, he is not kidding about the fact that the hyperaccelerated quarrels can penetrate the hull of a ship like this one.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The bow caster user doesn’t lower his weapon but does seem to wonder if what Talis said is true. “Fine than we just want the ship! We needed off of that planet and we wanted to stick it to the slavers while we did so.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

"Getting off the planet is also my goal, although stealing a Republic ship to do so is not the path I would follow," Talis states.

He adds, "Of course, I am not a pilot. I am not here to fight you, I simply want to get off the ship at it's programmed destination."

He moves back to where he was before the others boarded and says, "I will not interfere, but try to do minimal damage. If you take us elsewhere, be sure it is a humanly habitable world."

For now, he holds onto the sword...in case they decide to attack him.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

What follows in a awkward stand off as the two Individuals order the droid to land the ship. It seems as though the droids respond to any command, from any human. However CR4 attempts to move Talis as though he was cargo, again. Eventually they all can feel the noticeable deceleration of coming into atmosphere.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis heads for the top hatch as the ship enter the lower atmosphere. He exits the ship onto the upper surface and waits until the ship slows dot start the landing sequence before he jumps off. The force is with him and he lands unharmed.

He thinks, The good news is: this is not Kessel, it seems to be a habitable planet, and no one knows I am here. The bad news is: I have no idea where I am. At least I got a decent weapon out of that encounter.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The armor individual shakes their knife wielding hand at Talis as the ship quickly continues onward.

The terrain around around Talis sprawled out into a large expansive clay cover desert. However in the distance there was a large urban complex that covered a large portion of the horizon.

After a moment of silence a small patrol of ships tore through the sky towards the stolen ship.
Talis

Post by Talis »

The patrol who is after the ship is probably not looking for people who might have jumped off, but just in case he should try not to leave a trail...and he should get among other people. The best place to hide anything is among similar things, so the best place to hide a person is in the midst of other people. Hopefully the planet has human, or at least humanoid, inhabitants.
OOC Comments
Survival: 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7 , Wild Survival 1d6!!: [4] = 4 To get to the urban complex safely...forgot I was not rolling in this thread.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

As Talis made his way through the forest he could easily feel a strange presence that seemed to remain just underneath the clay soil beneath them.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis opens himself to the force, though carefully. Quite possibly he is merely sensing the background of the living force of this world. The world he is from is nearly lifeless, there is so much more life here that he needs to learn to distinguish it.

He has to be careful though, there are worlds where there are creatures that hunt through the force, and opening yourself to the force can make you look like prey.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The force was very strange here. It seemed to be a swirling mess of both light and dark. Talis could easily feel that something dark had happened on this planet. The fall of something that claimed to be light, and light being found in the darkest of places.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis gather that there was a conflict between force users here once. One of which was mislead into believing the dark side was the light, the other was knowingly dark, but became redeemed. At least, that is how it feels. The two left the force currents a mess, even what must be generations latter.

Talis thinks, I will have to be very careful how I use the force here, it will be easy to be lead astray.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Almost just as quickly as the force had reached out to him it turned away. It stretched out from him as far as it could manage but even it could not cut its self off completely from Talis. The more the Padawan analyses it the more it feels like it’s more like something trying to blind him rather than the force it’s self.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis thinks, There is something still aware here, something that does not want to be found possibly. If I find it, I wonder if I will know if it is the dark masquerading as light, of the light found hidden in the dark?

Well, it does not matter much, he still has to head into town and try to find a place on this world. Hopefully he can find out a few things...like what world this is...so he does not immediately give himself away as a stranger.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Rather quickly he can sense the presence of two other being, talking in hushed voices as the smell of alcohol was strong even as far away from them as he was.

“I still think we should go, some of the prisoners might resent us.”
“Like how I’m resenting you for scaring off the dang fish?”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis decides to pause and listen for a bit, to see what he can learn. First, he has already learned that this is a place where prisoners are kept. That can make things easier or harder, depending on how stringent the security is. These two are not prisoners, from the sounds of it.
OOC Comments
Stealth 1d6!!: [3] = 3 , Wild Stealth 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Notice: 1d6!!: [5] = 5 , Wild Notice: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Forgot I was not rolling in this thread, but will leave the rolls here t see how they turned out
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

After another short discussion the men appear to go back to silence for their fishing. Near by there is a pair of on man speeders that are sitting to the side of a ‘roadway’ that goes off in one direction
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis decides that the speed is not worth the manhunt that would follow if he tries to steal a speeder bike, not to mention he does not know how to fly one. It is not like you race speeders in the mines of Kessel.

It does not seem like he will be learning much more here though, so he turns and continues his walk towards the city. If the roadway goes that direction, as seems likely, he will head off beside it. Not close enough to get caught in the slipstream of any passing speeders, but near enough to take advantage of the cleared area that is probably along it
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Talis eventually came upon the familiar smell of oil and steel. However nothing that which he could easily notice appeared to be the source. The droid binary suddenly repeating an error message appeared to likely be from the same source.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Curiosity prompts Talis to move closer. An error message in binary and a location along the projected rout his ship was on. Possibly one of the droids from that craft, which had a problem with not coping well with the unexpected. The question is, how did it wind up here, if so?
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Talis was quickly able to come upon the feet which were sticking up out of some very loose pools of sand. It would probably be child’s play to get them out for a Jedi, but there was also the mater of how much Talis wanted to risk a random passer by happening upon him.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Droids are an interesting case, they are sentient, capable of making decisions and even feeling emotions, but they are not alive. They have no more presence in the force than a rock or any other normal machine (things like Lightsabers that are crafted using the Force do not count in that statement). Also, except in a few cases, they are technically property.

Talis is unable to let a sentient being suffer, so he starts thinking about a way to get the droid out. Preferably one that does not involve direct use of the force. Perhaps he could braid something into a rope and pull it out?
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

There were bundles of roots that spread across the ground but there was a question as to if it would hold.
Talis

Post by Talis »

The trick to using the force is subtlety, flashy things like levitation attract attention if you are obvious about it. Doing something like pulling the sand back away from a droid's sides while moving it to push from below, that people will not see. So if you do something like braid some tree roots into a rope and pull with it, even if the rope is not ACTUALLY strong enough to pull the droid free, people will accept it as an explanation.

This can take some time, but if anyone comes upon him he will explain that he found this droid and is staking a salvage claim upon it.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

As the Droid slowly began to come out, Talis could easily see that it was not a republic droid. It looked almost like a separatist droid. Except much older. The parts and the pieces of the frame he could see didn’t match the manufacturing of the parts on the outside. The ones on the outside very obviously were pulled from separatist droids
Talis

Post by Talis »

Possibly the droid was made from spare parts by a scavenger, such as a Jawa. He has heard some people do that with space ships (mostly starfighters), building something that works, if not as well as the originals, from parts of two or more ships. They call them "Ugly" starfighters. That would make this an Ugly droid.

He will continue to try to free it. Most separatist droids are centrally controlled, this does not appear to be. He wonders what it is programmed for. Hopefully it does not try to attack him...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Soon the robot suddenly jumped up before yelling out “I HAVE RISEN AGAIN!” Only to then immediately sink into a smaller sand pit directly next to the other one. He then looked to Talis “now I know what your going to do. I am used to people basking in my greatness, but I really need out of this sand.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis wonders if the robot is suffering delusions due to mismatched parts causing programming errors or if it simply needs a memory wipe and reprogramming.

He comments, "If I rescue you, then under interplanetary salvage law I own you. At least, until a previous owner shows and pays me appropriate value. Did someone throw you in the pit because of your delusions?"

He watches, ready in case the droid has any inbuilt weapons and decides to attack.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The robot is taken aback slightly as it slowly starts to sink back in. “You can’t possibly think that a prophet such as me would be considered property? I have lead thousands to salvation and Prosperity...for a fee of course...”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis points out, "By all appearances, you are a droid. In fact, one assembled out of mismatched parts. Some primitive cultures might think something supernatural, but you give no evident signs of it. I would gather that you are a class 1 or class 3 droid designed for data analysis and forecasting of market trends. What is your designation?"

He does not expect that being honest will break the droid's delusions, but deception is not his forte, so honesty seems a better policy.

He adds, "If you wish to look at it in other cultural terms, by rescuing you, you will have a life debt to me that requires you to accompany me and assist me until it is repaid."

Just in case this is not fully a droid, he will attempt to sense the force upon it. An actual prophet would be sensitive to the force. He has heard tell of some life forms that are naturally immobile being outfitted with a droid chassis...it is vaguely possible this is one of those.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid is indeed a droid. However he suddenly waves his hand, and an object hidden inside of his hand’s frame begins to glow. “You will help me out of the sand” Talis in that moment feels some thing. However it was so strange and against common reason that his own mind could barely comprehend what he was feeling. He then felt as the will of the force started to push against his. Talis’s however wasn’t weak of will.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis responds, "Certainly I will help you out, once you agree to my terms. I am going to have to figure out how you are going that, it is not an ability that can normally be manifested by droids. Is it Sith alchemy, or did they incorporate Kyber crystal in your circuitry?"

He thinks that Kyber crystals, which are used in lightsabers, could possibly be used to create some limited force effects. Of course, if it is Kyber crystal, he might be able to remove it to craft a lightsaber with...
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid suddenly pulls his hand back “no it’s not a kybar crystal, and dare I say I’m insulted that you could even suggest sith alchemy.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is curious what it is that allows a droid to use anything that appears to be force powers, he already mentioned the things he has heard of...but admittedly there are many things he has NOT heard of.

He presses, "The point I made before still stands, I can assist you, but will only do so if you allow a claim upon you. You are probably better off seeming to be a normal droid around here anyway, this is a prison planet, if you go around acting the part of a prophet they are likely to call the authorities down n you and have you melted into slag. Also, you never told me your designation."

(I am wondering if he has some ancient Rakatan parts dating from the time of the Star Forge, the Rakata used to use the force in their machinery back then...however Talis knows nothing about that part of history.)

Talis is thinking, This is likely a class 3 Droid, programmed to act as a "Prophet" as part of some con game, though I have no idea where its abilities come from.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid looks down and watches as the sand continues to swallow him up “but why do I have to give up my rights. That doesn’t seem at all fair especially not for a prophet
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis says philosophically, "The world is not fair, and many things that are considered rights are a product of culture. Out of curiosity, what are the tenants of your religion?"

He concentrates a bit on the force, using it to keep more sand from covering the droid.

He adds, "Many cultures consider a life debt sacred, demanded by the gods."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The robot looked at him. “You May believe me to be a religious nut case but even I know there aren’t things that could truly be considered gods.” He held his hands out and a feeling of the force radiated out of his hand. it strengthened the energy of the force that came from the plants that crisscrossed beneath them, and even the very bacteria that covered them both. The droid appeared to have almost an entire mini ecosystem built around some sort of life supply device inside of his chest. “There is merely the life that surrounds us, that Connects with us, that supplies life with the energy needed to continue living, we may believe it to be all powerful entities but it is merely the great web of connection, and-“ he turned his hand to face downward “-the great connective web of death” the soil almost appeared to turn dark before the dark side of the force radiated off of the death plant and animal matter than made up the soil. “And you spout words like ownership, culture, and religion, all without realizing you are nothing more than an animal with the ability to think of concepts beyond food, and mating.” Suddenly the voice of the robot changed “YOU MAY BELIEVE YOURSELF TO BE ABOVE YOUR ANIMALISTIC RAGE AS WELL! BUT YOU JUST LIKE ANY CREATURE WILL SUBMIT TO PASSION, AND-“ suddenly there was a loud tone before the voice switched back “I am deeply sorry about that, I used to store sith texts. For the purpose of better understanding of the ways of the sith, for one must understand alternate ways to truly understand their own”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis thinks he finally understands, "I think I have it now, you were a class 1 or class 3 droid with archivist and archeological programming who ran into a programming conflict with the coding that prevents translation of the ancient Sith language. The ones who were using you created a workaround by transferring the translation circuits and the archives of stored data to a different droid which lacks the preventive program. Probably they used a class 2 verbobrain. At some point they may have hooked you up to a Sith Holocron or a device from some other culture that similarly uses the force with a gatekeeper persona program. Quite possibly the device uses a micro-biological ecosystem to create an analog computation array of high complexity that is alive, which explains your ability to interact with the force. What you get is a conflict between the physical design of the class 2 verbobrain, the programming of the archivist droid, and input from the persona program of the living alien ecosystem. Presumably the gatekeeper program is programmed to emulate some form of ancient prophet."

He shakes his head, "No wonder you are confused."

He also answers what the droid actually said, "You are quite correct, there are no gods as such. Many cultures recall contact with more advanced beings that happened during their early development that they interpret as divine visitation. Other cultures have those who can sense and interact with the force, but interpret it through a cultural bias that gives this a divine aspect. Similarly it is true that sentients of all kinds are not above their animalistic urges, given that such urges are based upon biological survival functions. That is why the Dark Side, which easily flows through the most violent and destructive of those urges, is much easier than the light side, which attempts to reach the higher ideals sentient creatures aspire to. The two are rather like the anabolic and catalbolic processes of a single body, the two require a balance or the whole can not function."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

He nods. “Indeed. One should accept and control their violent animalistic urges. For one can not truly balance with something they do not understand. It’s also merely the way of nature, and one should not try to shun that which makes them what they are.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

At least the droid can be rational sometimes, thinks Talis.

The youth continues, "Let us take fear as an example, fear exists to warn of danger. Fear increases your awareness and can make one stronger and faster...but it can also make one unable to move or tremble so much that one can not act effectively if you let it control you. One must acknowledge fear, but not let it control you."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The robot looks at Talis a bit confused before he says “fear? Control you? None sense. One lacking true perception of the situation is not allowing fear to control you. Fear is part of you and it has no more or less control than your own mind has of yourself. Because there is no different between you and your fear.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis explains, "As a Droid, it is doubtful you experience fear the way animal life forms do. Emotions, particularly strong visceral emotions, can overwhelm your reason. Many reasoning creatures consider our reason as our true self."

Talis adds, "Now, You have had time to consider my offer. If I wait until your motivator runs out of charge I can claim you as scrap, though it will be considerably more difficult to get you to town. Shall I free you again and have you come along willingly until you have either done me a similar level of service or repaid your value...or shall I simply wait for you to run down?"
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“You sound just like those Jedi from long who who refused to listen to reason, and where are they now? Haunting this planet with their regret”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "As I understand it, Jedi and Sith started the same, but had a disagreement over two major points. The Jedi chose to have their intellects in charge and be guided by the force, while the Sith chose to let their passions dictate their chioces and to tr to dominate the force to achieve their ends. One might presume there would be two other options, one where passions rule and the force guides, and one where intellect rules and one tries to guide the force. However, I have not heard of any groups dedicated to either of the latter two philosophies."

It seems I have not strayed too far from the Jedi path, despite my erratic education, Thinks Talis
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I suppose I haven’t either in a way. I was instead created by a group who didn’t believe that passion and intellect were concepts that should exist exclusively from each other. However the-“ he was suddenly was cut off by a static noise that was followed by a different voice saying “admin rights required” before the droid went silent. Obviously this also deactivated what ever kept the droid balanced as the machine tilted back and fell into the sand.

(I know that Droid not being able to reveal certain historical facts that seem to have no rhyme or reason besides the plot is a bit cheesy, and annoying. Regardless I can’t just give you all the whole story that easily)
Talis

Post by Talis »

The thing about droids is they can be programmed. For example, this droid is programmed not to share certain information except with authorized persons. Give the droid appears to be constructed from disparate parts, it may will have conflicting programs.

Talis notes, "Passion and intellect are not exactly exclusive, but in general one is in charge over the other. It is difficult to precisely balance the two."

He presses lightly, "Did you want to accept my offer or not? It appears you are miring yourself deeper."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid seemed to not respond. It may have been that his system was rebooting after the attempt to do forbidden actions
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is no lawyer, but he is fairly sure a temporary shutdown from an internal reboot does not call for claiming a droid as salvage unless that reboot causes a memory wipe. On the other hand, a droid is intelligent enough to feign a shutdown in order to trick someone into helping it. Talis will wait to see if the Droid recovers on its own. If so, we are no worse off than before, and patience is something his master highly recommends.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

Over time the droid slowly begins to beep towards the progress towards it reboot. Stating ,in droid speak, the percent completed.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis wonders why the droid is so slow to reboot. Possibly because it is made of salvaged parts from two or three different droids and has compatibility issues. It may also be low on energy to the motivator, it has probably been out here a while.

He does a bit of meditation while he waits, perhaps he can learn something about the droid's force powers if he studies it as it reboots.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

While actually looking for it he can feel the presence of the bacteria pudding inside of the center of the robot. He could easily feel it’s frustration as it tried to communicated through the force. Though it seems the robot was a very important component, as all of its force communications were nearly impossible to understand. Likely due to its thought process not being exactly the same as different sentient creatures. He felt a sense of freedom. Followed by a sense of betrayal, a deep intense betrayal from someone who was previously trusted. Then the feeling of silencing death.

In conjunction with this feeling he felt a force sensitive plant sprout inside of the hand of the droid, or maybe it was merely a seed. Then a string of flowing bacteria ran up the arm to the main bacteria in the center.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Apparently the micro-environment is quite sensitive, it must require constant maintaining. When the reboot happened it caused trouble. He will try to help the biome recover with a feed of energy if he can figure out how.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The environment seemed indifferent at the gesture, or lacked the capacity to show otherwise. Regardless the droid eventually finished its booting up and sat up only to sink more into the sand.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis is unclear whether he failed, or whether he simply lacks the ability to detect success.

Once the Droid is finished rebooting, He comments, "I can not keep calling you droid, and Prophet seems pretentious. To reiterate earlier questions: What is your designation? Are you willing to accept my terms of at least performing me service equal to either the service done you or equal to your own estimated value in return for rescuing you? Bear in mind, if you remain mired here your motivator will eventually run out of charge and I can legally claim you as scrap...though I suspect that you running out of charge will prove detrimental to your symbiotic environment."

He is willing to concede to not being considered the full owner of the droid.

He is curious to whether it fully rebooted with memory intact or only rebooted to permanent basic programming. Hopefully it does retain its memories, it is possible he could learn something from it.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“It’s been a long time since I’ve need a designation, although I do remember being called ‘a Bacteria tapioca pudding’ Before. Will that designation suffice? And...fine I’ll help you out but there are other things I need to do as well. Thus I’m doing those first”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis comments, "That is not a particularly useful designation, as it is rather long to say. Would A-Bac suffice?"

He adds, "You have me curious about what you think you need to do. Perhaps it is something I can assist with?"

Quite likely he needs to gather things to care for his micro biome, though he may well need a charge also.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I suppose that will suffice, but I would like to see if I can’t reacquire some sacred texts from a hidden temple.” The droid looked at the sand around them.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis states, "It would appear that you are unlikely to succeed on your own. My suggestion would be that the first step is to scout the area where the temple is presumed to be and then seek out proper equipment based on what we find, as well as a safer route there and back."

The droid appears to be unaware of the abilities and limits of its form, likely due to having scavenged parts making its program not match its design. Its heuristic learning processes should compensate eventually, but it may have trouble with resetting to original programming every time it reboots.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I’m sure I would be perfectly fine on my own. There is no danger to me there...well I suppose traveling there there is but once I arrive I will be perfectly safe. You however might have the opposite occur”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis admits, "That is possible, and also the reason for working in groups. Each member of a group can provide a solution to problems other members can not overcome."

There are things Droids are better suited to handle, anyone knows that. Things like bad air and excessive environmental temperatures for instance.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I suppose that will be sufficient.” He tries to lift his leg but it is still being pulled down. “May I finally have aid?”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis again uses a combination of physical means and subtle use of the force to free the Droid.

He says, "So then, where to A-bac?"

He adds, "I will probably need to go first to locate a safe path. No need to have you getting entrapped again."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“I suppose so. The location I’m heading towards is at the source of a large river. I know said river is due relative west of here.” A-Bac pointed his metallic hand in the direction before he started towards it. Mere moments after moving the droid already nearly tripped over a slightly larger rock”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis suggests, "Follow where I go, it may not always be strait, but should avoid the worst hazards."

He thinks, it is a bit strange how this droid's construction and programming make it both clumsy and apparently delusional. I wonder if I can aid it in overcoming its difficulties.

He glumly reminds himself that is is not an expert programmer or droid engineer.

At least west is easy to find, he should be able to locate a way west that avoids the worst troubles for the droid.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid follows after Talis exactly as he steps which seems to aid him in not falling over or getting into trouble, somewhat. After a few moments of silence he speaks up “What darkness do you cultivate out of curiosity?” He then offers no further context as it seems part of the question is how he interprets the question.
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis considers the inquiry. Considering the droid appears to be proselytizing a creed of balance, it is likely to be a serious question. It is true that he has not claimed to be perfect, but what is his darkness?

He answers after some thought, "It is probably envy. I have had so little, no property, no real home, no real friends or family, no proper education...and even when I finally do get something, it is flawed. It is easy to see that others have the things I have missed, and often do not appreciate what they have."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The droid ponders this for a moment. The thought seeming to distract it very much as it narrowly escapes tripping over another rock. “Seems reasonable. although I’ll have to take your word on it. I have not been around you to know if it is truly cultivating. I would have thought it to be the one you lost since it is so recent.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis responds, "Emotions are meant to serve a purpose. Anger is intended to focus your energy to overcome that which you are enraged at. I have no idea what or who I should be angry at, and without a focus anger is wasteful."

He adds, "My teacher always knew he would fall some day. He told me not to mourn him nor to seek revenge, but rather to know he would be with me through the Force, and if the time comes that I confront the one who slew him, to seek justice. I am seeking to do what he would wish."

Actually, this droid reminds him of his master in some ways...though not in others.

He does not bother to wonder how the droid knows he suffered a recent loss, there are many ways to gather information.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“That seems like an incredibly mechanical way to reduce emotion, and that’s coming from a robot.” He then points to the distance where there is a large river “there’s the river I mentioned. However does your loss truly not bother you? Even in a way you might not truly understand?”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis responds, "Of course it bothers me, it would be like, for a droid, having a foot taken off. It throws your balance off and nothing seems quite right. I can still function, and he taught me that his leaving was inevitable...so I was prepared even though I did not know now would be the time."

Talis adds, "If you are looking for the headwaters, we will need to head upstream."
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“That’s an odd thing to say considering one can’t truly prepare for something like it.” He looks at the river And points out a the large bolder that severely hampers the flow of the river “although imagine for a moment you are a fish in this river. You come upon this bolder something you couldn’t have truly prepared for, even if you knew about it. You can no fathom it any more than you can truly fathom the ocean you swim towards. You also can’t truly ignore or remove the bolder, because it is a part of reality and a part of nature. So you are stuck as you try to contemplate this thing you can hardly understand. You might find your self leaping over the stone without a care in the world. You might search high and low for a way to slip through. You might even conclude that the place you are now in must be the ocean, and spend your days living a false truth. I have no way to dictate how you move on, but that doesn’t take away the rock nor how it effects you. Nor should it. You are the fish you are today because of the rock, because the obstacles in the path defined the path, and the path will always flow onwards wether you wish to follow it or not.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis looks at the droid for a moment, and then says, "One 'prepares' for such things by experiencing them. Throughout my life I have never been able to keep anything. Even handouts like my clothing and the rations I had to use fast, because if someone else wanted them I would not be able to. You repeat any stimulus long enough and you grow accustomed to it. Why would it be any different just because what I had was a teacher?"

There is undoubtedly a lot of resentment there, but it is at a very basic level, not focused on anything.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

“Simply because even if you try to make it true, your master was more than rations or handouts.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "While that is undoubtedly true, the fact that we both knew I would lose him, and that I had much experience with loss, kept me from forming as deep an attachment as I otherwise might have. Yes, I did like him, when he was sane, and would have liked to learn more from him...but that is all."

Possibly he is honest, and possibly he is fooling himself.
Padawan_GM1
Game Master

Post by Padawan_GM1 »

The robot follows the path along the river “I have known Jedi who have had that same sentiment, but until push comes to shove you’ll never-“ he paused as he spotted a small villa styled town that had sprung up around the source for the river “What the actual heck is this? People used to avoid that temple like the plague.”
Talis

Post by Talis »

Talis replies, "Someone must have decided that the benefits of a trading post in this area outweighed the negatives...assuming they even know the temple is there."

Talis wonders how long ago the Droid was last here.

He then answers what the droid was saying previously, "That is always true, you can train all you want, but only the actual situation can show how you will react."

Return to “Episodes”