Rumblings in the Shadow

Post Reply
User avatar
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Koshnek »

Location: Central Chicago, Aurora Barrens, the Downside
Time: Sunday June 3, 2095 - 8:00 AM
Weather: Last night's deluge has knocked some of the humidity out of the air, but the warm early morning reminds you that summer is just around the corner.
The Downside
the Downside - Exterior.jpg
the Downside - Interior.jpg
Kit.jpg


It is a relatively pleasant summer morning as you make your way to the Downside. The rumor mill has been churning with buzz about raids on shadow community hotspots like the Downside in the early hours of the morning today. Operators are missing, some are dead, and operations throughout Chicago are disrupted. Well, as disrupted as they ever are.

Black Swan's friend and fixer, Kit, has invited Kas, and anyone the budding fixer-slash-troubleshooter trusts, to the Downside at 8:00 AM for an employment opportunity. Although a small dive bar, the Downside is known to be a popular hangout for prominent (and not so prominent) members of Chicago's shadow community. The word on the street has it that the Downside was hit harder than most. Apparently, two strike teams of black-clad paramilitary operatives descended onto the bar and all but leveled it to the ground.

This comes as a surprise to each of you because half of the team came to the bar's defense and so know exactly what went down mere hours past. The other half are mildly surprised to see that while the exterior is more or less rundown, the interior is exactly what you would expect from a small bar in one of Chicago's poor subsectors: its seen better days but is well loved and maintained.

A hodgepodge of well-used and thoroughly broken-in tables are scattered throughout the bar. The seating matches the tables perfectly. Second hand accounts paint a story of broken tables, shattered bottles, bullet holes and blood stains. That doesn't at all
If you want, feel free to make a notice roll. Black Swan, Emi and Shift can make a straight roll. Boris and Roc can make it at -2 assuming they're not as familiar with the bar as the rest.

Roll a success and you can tell. Professional cleaners, and not of the biohorror hunting variety, have made a pass through the Downside. Even through the dim lighting, you spot repaired bullet holes. It's barely perceptible, but you can catch just the barest whiff of industrial cleaners, too. You wouldn't be surprised if there was a bar nearby temporarily closed for business because you suspect nearly everything, even the bar's alcohol stock, has been completely replaced.
of the local watering hole in front of you.

Kit greets each of you as you file into the Downside. If she knows your preference, she already has your usual poured for you. She even prepares a noodle bowl for Emi - the ones with the tiny bits of real meat. New comers are offered any drink they like on the house (although the noodles are obviously a special treat for Emi from Kit).

"Welcome, Nakama," Kit begins once you've all gathered and settled in, "and I thank you for coming."

She gives the team a respectful bow before continuing, "As you must all be aware by now, places which cater to certain elements within Chicago were raided early this morning. I am embarrassed to say I know less than I would like about the cause of these raids. I will share with you what I know, and then we can discuss what needs to be done."

Kit's tail twitches as she paces the floor. It only takes her a moment to decide where to begin and she focuses her attention back on the team, "A research facility was hit shortly before the raids occurred. Unfortunately, this is all I know. What I can infer is, the importance of what was taken cannot be understated. Standard operating procedure for corporations is to go after the team who wronged them, or those close to them. To launch a coordinated attack across our community is unprecedented in Chicago and speaks to the wronged party's desperation."

She takes a moment to let that sink in. When she continues speaking, each of your TAPs pings you for confirmation of data transfer, "I have acquired video footage of those suspected to have triggered last night's raids. They must employee a competent hacker because the feed is compromised. Any time the team would be identifiable the footage degrades or pixelates."

The footage shows four individuals rushing towards a white delivery van. One of them carries a metallic briefcase. Unfortunately, you don't get much more than that. The van doesn't have any identifying features, and the footage never clearly makes out the license plates before they're gone. As for the individuals, the video quality is poor enough that you don't hope to identify anyone from it.

"If you look at the last file," Kit pauses to presumably bring it up on her own TAP, "It contains data for the tracking beacon that the package is supposed to be equipped with. It does not appear to be functional. It may have been located and deactivated or they may have taken precautions to prevent such a signal from being broadcasted."

She stops and looks each of you in the eye in turn. When you've all had a moment to digest the available information she gets down to business, "I want this package recovered, Nakama. I leave the fate of this team in your hands or the less caring administrations of those stolen from. I am willing to pay your team twenty thousand cryptodollars for the successful recovery of what was stolen. It is my understanding that this is a time sensitive matter. What is in the case was not meant to be stored in this manner long term, and so If you take my offer, I will require you to complete the job within 48 hours."

It is o-fficially go time, folks! Welcome (back) to the game.

So, what now? Do you take her on the offer of C$20,000 to recover and hand over a case of who knows what, or will you try to squeeze her dry? Do you trust Kit with something that someone takes this seriously? Do you trust yourselves to get mixed up with an item that one of the corporations is willing to go to war with Chicago's shadow community to recover?

Feel free to ask her any questions you like. Take her deal, ask for more money, or refuse to get involved. Whatever you like. Heck, you could even try to double cross her by using the information she gave you to find the briefcase for yourselves...

If you wish to negotiate, pick a leader and make a persuasion roll. Consider Kit Neutral on the Reaction Table. She personally gets along well with Black Swan, but this is business not pleasure - and two team members are new faces. She has thrown some small work your way (a side job), but Kit largely hasn't worked with your team. Take a -2 to the Persuasion roll as this is a serious job, and she's already going out on a limb offering it to a relatively unknown team.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Roc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Roc »

Not rolling notice, he would not notice or care that the supplies where stolen.


Roc nods, not putting to much thought into the process. "Sounds good to me." He says to the others. They knew he had debts, and very little room to turn down a job. Then looking towards the client he asks. He liked the jobs where he was allowed to clean up when done. Nothing pissed him off more than being forced to let someone live and then deal with them stumbling across him later and risking his chrome getting damaged.
User avatar
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Koshnek »

Roc wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:38 pm Roc nods, not putting to much thought into the process. "Sounds good to me." ... Then looking towards the client he asks. He liked the jobs where he was allowed to clean up when done. Nothing pissed him off more than being forced to let someone live and then deal with them stumbling across him later and risking his chrome getting damaged.
Kit's tail flicks back and forth as she turns to face @Roc, "This team of thieves did not directly harm me, my place of business or my nakama. You are free to handle this job as you see fit. If that includes the deaths of these thieves then that is your business. Bring me the case, intact, within 48 hours. I will see to it that those who attacked me and mine will never get what they desire."
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Boris
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:57 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Boris »

Boris smiles, sadly, subtly shaking his head. "I'm sorry, did you say $20,000? For all of us? Miss, we certainly appreciate you coming to us with your issue, but we are professionals and expect to be paid as such." He winks. "I get it though, this is a business transaction on both of our ends. Surely that was just an opening number, something to set the negotiation into motion, yes?"
Supporting Black Swan, 10 (+2)
Persuasion 1d6!! WD 1d6!!: [10!!]+[4] = 14
User avatar
Shift
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:49 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Shift »

"That retaliatory group hit while I was here. I would be happy for a chance to have a crack at the source of the trouble. That said, it does seem that the pay isn't aligned with the risk of dealing with professionals of this calibre".
Shift's eyes flash blue as he touches Black Swan on the shoulder, powering her up for her retort.
Cast boost trait (persuasion) d12!+2, 1d6!=2: [8]+2+[3] = 13 (increase persuasion 2 dice sizes)
Shift
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 8(3); Toughness: 15(4)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • -4 Cover when shield active
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/3; PP: [color=#0080FF4/15[/color]
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
User avatar
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Koshnek »

@Black Swan feels much more eloquent and the exactly right words to say seem to flow into her mind without effort as she prepares to convince Kit to pay the team more.
GM Note to Shift
The negotiation takes 1d4+1 minutes: [1]+1 = 2 .
That is 20 rounds, so @Shift will have to pay 3 extra PP to maintain boost trait on black swan for the money talk in addition to the base cost (2).
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Roc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Roc »

As things turn to negotiations Roc considers joining, but too many cooks can spoil the pot, so he decides to grab a drink and wait. Deep down all he cared about was getting enough money to pay Romanov. Once he was paid the rest was easy.

Tempting to support, but I am thinking Roc would leave it alone rather than risk crit failure and making the odds worse. After all he has confidence in the team.
User avatar
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Koshnek »

"You make good points, Nakama," Kit responds to @Boris' and @Shift's reimbursement concerns, "This fee is good for a group of mostly unknowns. Some of you are known to me."

The slight neko-girl
@Black Swan feel free to make a Notice roll at -2. Success on this roll includes the roll and information from my first GM post in this thread, but the penalty is -2 regardless of the instructions from the first post.

In addition to the information from the previous post, you know that Kit appreciates what Black Swan, Emi and Shift did to help defend the Downside. You definitely remember the bleeding-edge network security that came online during the attack. And finally, you remember the big, expensive auto-cannon she retrieved for Tiger during the first moments of the encounter.


You are confident that she has the money. She doesn't want to pay too much because she is a professional. You suspect
she heavily compartmentalizes her personal life from her business. If you lean into how you've helped her defend the downside and clean it up (assuming you did) plus taking on that side job with Emi, you might be able to break that wall down and have an easier time getting the friend rates.

Bonus: If Black Swan uses this information when she makes her Persuasion roll and ultimately fails the roll (after any bennies or other rerolls), you may make one additional attempt. This final, bonus reroll is made at no modifier (regardless of any Hindrances or Edges) and cannot be bennied.
  • Note: This bonus reroll does not override a critical failure, and a critical failure on this reroll works as per SWADE.
whether she can justify increasing the payout.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Black Swan
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Black Swan »

1d6: [1] = 1 , 1d6: [1] = 1

1d6-2: [4]-2 = 2 , 1d6-2: [4]-2 = 2

1d12+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d6+1: [6]+1 = 7 + 1d6: [3] = 3 +2 from Support


Kas is laser focused on Kit, looking to her friend for cues to her mood, but sleep had not come easily for the fixer after their work to clean the place, strip the goons' gear, and otherwise clean the place up after their defense. Several of her friends had gotten swept up into that effort and had been out of the area when she began calling folks in. Of those she'd worked with only Shift and Emi were still with her, but Boris and Roc were solid.
"Shin'yū," Black Swan begins, using the japanese word for trusted friend, "I have sat on your side of the table before, so I understand your position. I would not normally push, but I fear our expenses will be rising significantly on this. Surely you can offer a bit more." Her voice is as smooth as nano-forged steel covered in the finest silk. Her body language and expression perfectly convey both her professional understanding and her personal empathy for Kit's position, but also that she understands the strength of her own position. "We will, of course, fulfill this request, assuming the pay matches the risk. Anything for the Downside and you," she concludes, driving home her earlier point.
Black Swan
Black Swan Bioroid Fixer and Combat Negotiator
Parry: 7, Toughness: (Armored Jacket): 11 (2); (Tactical Armor): 13 (4)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue
User avatar
Emi
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:15 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Emi »

Emi brightens on seeing the culinary offering, and enthuses, "I love your noods!" before tucking in. It was 'hip' and 'lingo' to abbreviate words after all! She was learning! As Emi ate she did find a moment to reflect on how good the place looked after the fracas the other night. She wondered who Kit called for that kind of thing. An idle thought.

It takes until the negotiations are done before she's done wolfing the noodles down, but when that's over she demonstrates that she was listening attentively by saying, "Forty-eight hours is a pretty tight deadline considering we have no leads at all yet. Which research lab did they hit? We can at least retrace their steps from there if we have to."

Rolls: Notice 4
Notice 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
User avatar
Roc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Roc »

Roc listens to the negotiations knowing better than to open his mouth and mess it up. His skills were more in the area of intimidation and destruction, but that is no way to treat a person who has been right to you and owns the bar you like to hang out in.

Instead he orders another drink to enjoy while relaxing, dividing him mind between his internal awareness and his environmental awareness, practicing the divided concentration needed to master his skills as a monk. He had the training, but he had not yet had the break through needed to truly use his body to the extremes a cyber-monk can reach. Mastering any skill requires practice and the best practice is always in the manor you will need the skills.

RP only, does not have the edge yet, but I am going with he has the training and just needs that breakthrough because I plan on grabbing it with my first advance.
User avatar
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 386
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Koshnek »

Location: Central Chicago, Aurora Barrens, the Downside
Time: Sunday June 3, 2095 - 8:45 AM
Weather: Last night's deluge has knocked some of the humidity out of the air, but the warm early morning reminds you that summer is just around the corner.
The Downside
Image
Image
Image


Kit listens to Black Swan patiently, and her eyes light up for a moment. When Kas finishes speaking Kit nods, "This is true. You, Emi and Shift are known to me and have been proven yourselves capable. I will trust your new associates, who are not known to me, are skilled enough for this job. I do not think you would disappoint me in this. I will pay your team twenty-two thousand five hundred crypto dollars for the successful completion of this job."

As the Downside's proprietor speaks, Kas' TAP notifies her of a pending transaction, "And as a token of good will and friendship, I will give you twenty five hundred cryptos now. Please use these funds to resupply, acquire pick-me-ups, or for whatever uses you may have for these crytpodollars. Consider this payment appreciation for services rendered as well as a welcoming gift. I hope Roc and Boris will become my Nakama."
Emi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 pm Emi brightens on seeing the culinary offering, and enthuses, "I love your noods!" before tucking in. It was 'hip' and 'lingo' to abbreviate words after all! She was learning!
Kit quickly covers her mouth with her hand and coughs, but anyone looking towards her at that moment can see the covered smile touch her eyes before she recovers and drops her hand, "You would be the first, but I am happy that they are up to your standards."

Emi wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:02 pmIt takes until the negotiations are done before she's done wolfing the noodles down, but when that's over she demonstrates that she was listening attentively by saying, "Forty-eight hours is a pretty tight deadline considering we have no leads at all yet. Which research lab did they hit? We can at least retrace their steps from there if we have to."
"I am sorry, Emi," Kit shakes her head as she replies firmly, "What information I have given you has cost me dearly and it is all that I have to offer. Reach out to your contacts, call in favors, and consider using some of the funds I have gifted you to grease palms. I believe in your abilities and that you will complete this job for me successfully."


For the purposes of this mission, you can currently consider Kit to be Friendly. Black Swan has convinced Kit to increase the mission payout to C$22,500. In addition to this, she has supplied the team with a further C$2,500 upfront to be distributed as you please.

Feel free to ask Kit any further questions you may have for her. Otherwise, its time to move on. I would suggest doing some legwork at this point, but feel free to continue onwards however you please.

Despite all the chatter going around right now, that's all it is...rumor. Judging from what you've heard went down at the Downside, everyone's just shooting the shit. Those who are talking don't know what's going on and those that do aren't talking. They're smart enough to keep their mouths shut, so prying that information out of them might be a challenge.

Contacts: If you want to reach out to your contacts, roll persuasion. If you fail they are unavailable, otherwise you get in touch with them. I will assign any bonuses or penalties based upon what you ask your contact and what their background is (and what they are likely to know). A negative modifier is likely, although an unmodified roll or a roll with a positive modifier could be possible depending on the contact and question(s) asked.

If you want to swing the odds in your favor, you can wire them C$250 or C$500 for a +1 or +2 bonus to your persuasion roll. Some of you wanted more options to use your Savings...so this would be where I would be willing to work with y'all. Unfortunately, no one has savings yet. So, instead, you may take a -1 or -2 penalty to your next lifestyle role (d6 if not modified via edges or hindrances) to gain a +1 or +2 instead of spending cryptodollars.

Networking: If you choose to network, follow the standard networking rules. Persuasion or Intimidations rolls will be made at -2 before any bribing or head busting comes into play.
  • Persuasion: You may either spend C$500 for a +2 to your roll as usual, or you can take a -2 to your next lifestyle roll for a +2 to your roll.
  • Intimidation: You may bust heads as described in SWADE. Alternately, you may roll street cred as described in the IZ 3.0 player's guide. If you succeed, you gain +2 to your roll without alienating your contacts.
Hacking: This will be handled as a quick encounter with a -4 penalty to the roll. You have options here. First, you can wait for your teammate's discoveries and follow those leads up. That will net you a +2. If you want to strike out on your own and run down your leads solo, you could choose to instead roll street cred as described in the IZ 3.0 player's guide to leverage it in your favor. This option will net you a +2 to your roll. Pick one or the other (or neither and roll at -4).

If none of the above options are appealing to you or your character, feel free to support another character as usual. If you have an idea for acquiring information that doesn't fall into one of the three above categories, and you do not want to support, feel free to discuss it with me. Maybe your character is very familiar with Chicago and you think his or her common knowledge can fit some pieces of the puzzle together? Whatever it may be, I'll try to work with you. Expect a minimum of a -2. Depending on how wild your idea is, an even heavier penalty could be in store for you.

Finally, feel free to do anything else within reason. Now might be a good time to pick up some ammo, or call a guy who knows a guy to get some chemtech or some medical equipment. If you have a better idea not related to legwork and clue gathering, lay it down for me and Ill try to work with you.

Important Note: Whatever action you take, an hour passes between concluding the discussion with Kit, leaving the Downside and whatever you do next.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Roc
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:20 am

Re: Rumblings in the Shadow

Post by Roc »

Roc listens as a the situation is laid out to them, once they are alone he says to the others. "Any ideas where to start? I may have a guy I can call and at least ask why they would want to target here. But I own him a lot of cred I don't have laying around right now. So I would rather help one of you one a task that involves breaking people, or acquiring things."
Post Reply

Return to “The Mean Streets”