Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest (REDUX 2)

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

With death, the suffering begins.
Spectre Company.png
The sounds of the summer night echoed throughout the for­est. The gentle rustling of leaves in the wind, the chirping of a thousand crickets, the call of an owl on a midnight hunt. These were but a few of the sounds of a darkened forest that teemed with life. The sky above was alight with a million stars that seemed to be cut into the very fabric of space. Below, an eerie blue light, deep azure in hue, was the only light to be found. This was the magical illumination of one of the many ley lines that seemed to encompass the entire region known as the Magic Zone. A place of magic to be sure, but one of danger as well.

Lieutenant Morgan Callaway moved swiftly from the cover of a large tree to an outcropping of rock. He stopped and melted into the shadows of the night. Lieutenant Callaway knew how to use the advantages that came with nightfall. While most people feared the dark, Lt. Callaway embraced it. His CS Special Forces training served him well. Morgan laughed to himself. He could disappear as easily as his enemy, and he did so without the tricks of magic. Once Lt. Callaway was sure his position was secure, he slowly raised his C-12 rifle to his shoulder. He liked the C-12 even though it was considered an aging weapon out of step with the times, at least by the standards of the new and more powerful Coalition Military. It "was" big, heavy and lacked the finesse of some of the newer Coalition weapons, but that was exactly what the Lieutenant liked about the weapon. That and the fact that it was deadly accurate and one of the most reliable weapons in the field.

He began to survey his surroundings with the aid of the nightvision scope mounted atop the big C-12. The darkness and eerie blue ley line light suddenly transformed into shades of green. With the ambient light amplified thousands of times, Morgan could see his objective as clear as day. A small wooden cabin about six hundred feet (183 m) away. It was obvious that a large fire was burning in the fireplace inside. From what he could tell, there was at least one occupant inside. As he lowered the rifle his eyes adjusted quickly to the night. Lt. Callaway knew the specially modified Dead Boy helmets with nightvision gear would allow him full time nightvision but he just couldn't stand the confining nature of the helmets. That and the fact that they robbed him of depth perception and muffled the noises around him. He had been told that such impairments were all in his imagination, but he wasn't the only CS psychic in Psi­ Battalion to feel shut away and claustrophobic with the helmet and face plate in place. No, he preferred black greasepaint and open air.

Lt. Callaway raised his left hand in a clenched fist and gave the signal for the others to move forward. Like ghosts appearing out of the blackness of night, five other figures slipped silently toward him. While one crept forward, the others would cover his advance and provide overwatch. The 2nd squad of the 5th Coalition Reconnaissance Platoon, Psi-Battalion, consisted of six members. Lieutenant Morgan Callaway (Mind Melter) was the Commander with Staff Sergeant Stephen Devco (Minor Psionic Commando) as his second. Corporals Daniels (Nega­ Psychic), Jackson (Psi-Ghost Sniper), and Gelfman (Psi-Stalker Ranger) made up the fire team element. The final member of the team was their tracker, a Dog Boy by the name of Checkers. Collectively they were known as Specter Company, and they always came at night. Where they came from nobody knew. Where they went nobody knew. They were the best of the best.

This wasn't a typical mission for Specter Company, and they all knew it. They were far south and well out of Coalition terri­tory, right in the heart of the Federation of Magic. They had "jumped in" two days earlier. The Federation of Magic repre­sented everything the Coalition hated and feared - madmen, D-bees and monsters empowered with magic and dedicated to the destruction of humankind. Specter Company's mission: to "sneak a peek," as the lingo went, but also a search and rescue operation. The Coalition had lost two similar teams without a trace in the preceding month and High Command wanted answers. Reports of increased psychic phenomena and super­natural activity earned Specter Company the job.

Checkers was the first to notice it. Something was wrong. His ears raised slightly as he took in all of the sounds of the night. Suddenly the smell of the supernatural was all around them. Checkers brought his left fist up and moved it in the signal that meant danger, as the Dog Boy himself knelt closer to the ground.

Lt. Callaway and the others felt it too. Palpable. He could al­most taste it. Something he hadn't yet encountered, and some­thing big. He could barely see the point man out in front but every psychic sense he had screamed something was horribly wrong. For a moment he wondered if he should signal retreat. They needed more firepower than they had. He knew it.

The forest was quiet.

His training and experience had taught him that the only time a forest teeming with life is ever quiet is when it is afraid. The only thing he heard now was the beating of his heart. He sig­naled for the squad to take cover.

Checkers scanned his field of fire with his modified C-I0 la­ser carbine. The weapon had been shortened slightly and given a folding stock. Checkers had requested the changes to the weapon to make it lighter and more manageable when he took the point. He sniffed the air searching for familiar scents. Some­thing was definitely wrong.

What the hell? ! Get out! Get out now! Move! Move! the Lieutenant's telepathic message screamed in the heads of his teammates.

That was when the hair on the back of Checkers' neck stood straight up and the Psi-Hound bolted at top speed; the Dog-Boy could feel the unnamed malevolence in the night, and was clearly panicked by it.

Beads of sweat seeped through the black grease paint on the Lieutenant's brow. They had to get out now, but he was afraid to move. Afraid to give away his position. A telepathic sweep told him the others were on the move. A moment later, laser cover fire bolted through the darkness.

Laser fire is a truly surreal sight to behold. Being utterly noiseless and having no visible muzzle flash, beams of light ap­pear and disappear in split seconds. Targets simply burst into flame or vaporize on contact; elegant and deadly. The night lit up with the flash of lasers and showers of flame and splinters from exploding and crashing trees hit by errant blasts. And so began an intricate dance of retreat, cover fire, retreat, fire again, Specter Company working in predesignated battle buddy pairings. While one soldier pulled back, his battle buddy would fire blind sup­pression fire over the shoulder of the retreating trooper. Then, their roles would switch, with the first soldier covering the second as he retreated. This was not only an exercise of precision teamwork and military training, but ab­solute trust.

Then the light show stopped.

A telepathic scan told Lt. Callaway the others were definitely gone. Not dead. Gone. Only he and Checkers were left. He hoped the Dog Boy would run like the wind. Meanwhile, he knelt stone still and silent. He was afraid to move. "Keep still," his gut told him.

As a soldier he knew fear was another tool. It kept one alive. It kept him alert. Fear controlled was as much an asset as a detriment. As for gut feelings, he had learned to trust them when he was still a kid. Minutes seemed like hours as he waited ... for ... what? He didn't know.

Even with a Mind Block in place, closing himself from psychic and supernatural sensations, he could feel an un­natural cold and darkness. The cold touched him to his bones, although it was a balmy 88 degrees Fahrenheit. As he contem­plated the cold, he realized two things. One, it was the cold that made him afraid - afraid almost to the point of unreasoning panic. Two, the cold belonged to something hideous and inhu­man. A supernatural force unlike anything he had ever encoun­tered.

Then he saw them. Gelfinan and Jackson.

Both had removed their helmets and they walked slowly and in plain sight. He didn't need to use empathy on them - the looks on their faces was that of deep sadness. They were saying something he couldn't yet make out. He decided not to use psionic probes for fear it might give away his position. He didn't even dare to use psychic nightvison, relying instead on his Multi-Optic scope. Yet somehow, he knew Gelfinan and Jackson were gone. Their life essences, perhaps their very souls, had been somehow replaced. Replaced by the cold. The unfeeling and inhuman cold. It had them now. They were an extension of it. A moment later, Daniels joined them. As the men vanished into the darkness, the cold went with them and Lieutenant Callaway knew the danger had passed.

He found the headless body of Sgt. Devco near where he had last seen him. An Object Read of his weapon told Callaway that the Sarge had blown his own head off rather than give in to the
cold.

There was something else too. Somehow the cold had left a lingering impression. The cold and darkness had a name … Nxla, The Harvester ofSouls. And it had only begun to harvest.

The 32nd SET

Night has fallen in the Ohio Valley, and your team finds itself in what is commonly known on Rifts Earth as “The Magic Zone.”

The Tomorrow Legion has received intel from one of its allies, an emissary from the independent city/state of Magestar, that a powerful magic item being called colloquially the “Orb of Mist” has been seen in the area, and that rival factions are after it (including the True Federation of Magic). The Orb is rumored to give its holder the ability to see great distances remotely in real time; with the Orb, one could theoretically gather intelligence from a city miles and miles away and track troop movements, infrastructure, and even political dealings. As an intelligence tool, the Orb would be invaluable.

Of course, Magestar cannot risk an open conflict with the True Federation, and the Tomorrow Legion knows their erstwhile allies will staunchly deny any knowledge of the Legion’s dealings in the area, should the mission fail.

Your team was assembled and dispatched with all haste to retrieve the orb and bring it back to Castle Refuge with all possible speed. The Legion brass considers this important enough that they re-formed the legendary 32nd SET for this job, and you each wear the distinctive “32” symbol, the numbers split by a dinosaur’s toothy skull, on your uniforms or armor somewhere.

For your trip, you were issued a Mountaineer Mk2 ATV equipped with a Medium Rail Gun, a Plasma Cannon, and an Anti-Personnel Ion Blaster. Someone please add this vehicle to their sheet and keep track of it for the group. Whoever takes this administrative task on will get a +1 to all rolls involving the team’s Mountaineer (Driving, Repair, etc.).

Who Are You Guys, Anyway?

You are now a day or two away from the suspected location of the Orb and are camping out in the wilds (the nearest town would take you too far off course). While preparing evening chow and setting up watch rotations, you find yourselves with a little bit of time around the campfire to swap stories.

This is your chance to share an interlude! Roll 1d4 and write up a story of at least 2-3 paragraphs that you share with your comrades following the format below:
  • 1=Clubs- A tale of misfortune from your hero’s past, perhaps revealing something of his Hindrances or a dark secret.
  • 2=Diamonds - Something your hero wants or already has. It might be a material possession, recognition, or something else entirely.
  • 3=Hearts - A tale of the hero’s greatest love - lost, found, present, or waiting on her back home.
  • 4=Spades- A great victory or personal triumph.

Anyone who completes the interlude may take an immediate Advance. Please update your character sheet accordingly.

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Interlude roll: [dice:350qjhlj]64343:0[/dice:350qjhlj]

"So," Squidge said as she and everyone partook of the 'grub.' "I don't know how much any of you know about my kind, the Ghosts. I grew up in Psyscape, but both my parents told me a lot of stories, and we weren't the only Ghosts there either. There's a lot of us, scattered around or in small groups. Trying to avoid attention. Never quite fitting in. Always afraid we're going to be scooped up by someone, used for something, or just plain killed for what we can do. People in power can't rest easy with us around, unless they control us."

She sat back and gazed upwards at the stars. "Except in Psyscape. My parents were lucky to find it though, really lucky. Most never do. Most never even know to try. What I've always wanted is to find more Ghosts out there and just...let them know. Put them on the trail. I obviously can't just hand them maps, because Psyscape has enemies but...just let them know there's a place for us."

The psychic grinned a girlish smile that one would never imagine seeing on someone who could one day become one of the most powerful psychics that walked the planet.

"Who's next?"
Last edited by Squidge on Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

[dice:22tkj50p]64345:0[/dice:22tkj50p]

A worn, but solid, cloak. Long unkempt hair. A cigarette hanging from his mouth. A thousand yard stare. Hedge looks more like a murder hobo than a cyberknight. He stays pretty quiet as the team rolls into the magic zone, speaking as necessary. Not exactly social distancing, but definitely classic introvert.

One evening, on the edge of the Magic Zone, he recounts the last time he was in the area. A source of great shame, "You should know I've been here before. My last team didn't make it. Their souls devoured by the great harvester." He goes silent for a moment letting that bomb hang in the air, "We encountered the cold presence of the soulless xombies. I was allowed to live, not as a kindness but as a warning. My fear to be transmitted like a disease. Nyxla is coming for us."

Pausing again, he finally finishes. "But I am not sure my history needs to be our future. Turning to face what we fear can heal us...or consume us. The time has come to find out which."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest (REDUX 2)

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

Parked next to the Mountaineer stood a massive set of familiar Glitter Boy power armor. But it wasn’t like normal Glitter Boy armor. This one had a custom paint job. Instead of the standard chrome finish, it is shockingly, eye-achingly pink, like the result of a drunken romp between a cotton candy factory and a glitter factory. On the front chest plate in white it reads GRRL POWER!!! The back reads PARTY GRRL!!! The lower rear plate reads BABY. Along the boom gun it says PRINCESS.

Currently the armor was spread open, and a custom rig of woofers, subwoofers, tweeters, and other speakers with a custom DJ deck laid out on a flat digital surface, though no music currently played from the rig.

The owner of said legendary armor danced and grooved near the fire as she fried up some sausages, mushrooms, potatoes and other non-trail ration goodness they had packed into the Mountaineer. She wore equally eye-popping pink and white armor that, besides the badge for the 32nd SET had a glaring white bunny head on a pink circle over the left breast. Her pink hair was pulled back in a pair of ponytails. The firelight glanced off the glitter sprinkled in her pink hair, and the makeup on her eyelashes, lips, and cheeks. She hummed as she danced, some music coming out of oversized headphones that hung around her neck. It was the latest Dres Marbles Left album, but in EDM style that she had mixed herself. She sipped a little sherry and then poured it in the pan to sizzle with the sausages.

“Nyxla? Sounds like a ghost story, Hedge,” Alexis Blaire -- known as Dazzle or Dazz to her friends and teammates -- said when the cyberknight had told his story. “And Goswin, that’s...kinda creepy with your mum,” she had to point out. “I mean, I feel you, and sorry for your loss, but glassing her up like that…”

Dazzle started serving out the sausages and fried goodness to the others. “Don’t worry. The ‘shrooms are safe. The Legion wouldn’t let me pack the fun kind,” she said teasingly. “Hey, do you think when this is over we’ll actually get to Dweomer? Last time I was out that way, I went to a Dres Marbles Left concert. Can you say mind...blown!” She made explosive noises with her mouth and gestures with her hands. “I mean, I got in this total orgy with their sound lady behind the board. It was...A - MAZE - ING! The energy in the room, and the way the lead singer just crooned…” She shook herself out of the memory.

“Anyway, I totally worked up a mix of their latest hits, and I wanna totally book a gig if we’re gonna be in the city. I know some peeps that can set it up, you know, pop up style. I mean, can’t fill out a stadium like Dres can, not without notice while this day job is keeping me busy, but what do you think? Can we squeeze out some us time once we find this Orb? You sure you don’t want me to rev up the turntable?” She nodded over to the Glitter Grrl armor open by the Mountaineer. She would get some practice in before turning for bed, and lock it up for the night. But right now, is was open for a nice concert, if they wanted one. “I’ve got all sorts of music in my data drive.”

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest (REDUX 2)

Post by White Castle »

Interlude (1d4) [dice:1pkzy5ez]64385:0[/dice:1pkzy5ez]

2 Diamonds
- Something your hero wants or already has. It might be a material possession, recognition, or something else entirely.
White Castle.

Most don't seem to know or understand where the name comes from. Castle is from the Eastern part of North America. What was during pre-Rift times a fast food restruarant is now a series of chop shops and fences that operate outside of the jurisdiction of the Black Market. In fact, anyone who comes from a location with a White Castle's is known to out right despise the Black Market.

There are many who have relinquished their names' for the moniker of "White Castle". The organization keeps the identity of their afiliates a secret. This White Castle has traveled across the Eastern US, through the Magic Zone, and the Federation of Magic. He has been seeking old history and lost artifacts. Specifically items that the Federation of Magic or the Black Market's Hand operations would be interested in.

Castle currently functions as a scout and a guide for the 32nd. A hired mind is dangerous. Opposition Beware.

Castle walks over to @Dazzle hands her an old pre-Rifts plastic case. "See what you can do with this. A Soundtrack to a pre-Rifts holovid. Composed by a guy, I am guessing, named Vangelis. Never seen the holovid. It's on my list of things to find during this run through the Magic Zone."

"As to the Dark Harvest. I know the location where it began."
GM Edit
GM note: The orb is not in Nxla's possession. It has been spotted in the magic zone and you have been sent to retrieve it, but Nyxla is not yet part of your mission parameters. Hedge has had experience with Nxla's minions, though, and its existence is not a closely guarded secret, so someone as well traveled as Castle could certainly have heard of it.
His voice does not change. No inflection or any change whatsoever. "It is interesting that Nxla chose the location to initiate the Dark Harvest. Just as interesting as the fact that Orb seems to be in Nxla's possession."

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Sis sits around the small fire they've built in the clearing where they've made camp. She takes the sausages offered by Dazzle gratefully, and starts downing them while starting into the fire.

She can't actually see the fire of course. What others have described to her as flames don't register to her radar. She just sees the pile of wood, slowly disintegrating to ash while putting of the heat she feels on her face. The some fires give off enough smoke to register as a sort of column of distortion to her, but this wood apparently burns pretty clean, because there isn't the slightest haze over the wood in her vision.

Still, she stares at the fire because she has found that when she does things like everyone else - regardless of whether they make sense to her - it tends to put them a little more at ease with travelling with a "Minion of the Splugorth".

Halfway through her plate of sausages, White Castle joins her on the makeshift log bench.

"So when they introduced you as "Sis" I assumed that was a nickname, or call-sign, or something. But I just finished going through the files on the crew, and "Sis" is the only name listed for you." He leaves the question hanging without actually asking it.

Sis nods, setting down the plate and leans back. "That's because I don't actually have one." She turns away from castle slightly and uses her hand to lift up the hair that hangs below her shoulder. A small tatoo on the back of her neck is exposed:

515

"Altaran Warrior women aren't given names by the Splugorth. We get numbers. An ID to differentiate us from the rest of the clones in our specific batch." She lowers her hair and turns back to he scout. "You typically don't name property, you know. That was one of the first things that lead me to know that I was somehow different. Altaran's will take on Aliases some time when they venture into enemy territory to better interface with the locals, but when they come back to Splugorth lands, they always revert to using their numbers. I didn't get it. Why didn't they keep their names... I started getting jealous of thsoe who went on reconnaissance missions and got assigned aliases. I really wanted a name..."

She pauses for a moment, pondering on that time of discovery of herself as an individual, then continues "Later when I had joined my first Merc band, one of the captains started calling me "Sis". I had no idea what it meant at the time. Was just happy to be called something that wasn't a slur. By the time I knew what it meant it had stuck, and by the time I left that crew, I had already start thinking of myself that way. It would seem odd to change it now."
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

Sis wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:13 am
Sis sits around the small fire they've built in the clearing where they've made camp. She takes the sausages offered by Dazzle gratefully, and starts downing them while starting into the fire.

She can't actually see the fire of course. What others have described to her as flames don't register to her radar. She just sees the pile of wood, slowly disintegrating to ash while putting of the heat she feels on her face. The some fires give off enough smoke to register as a sort of column of distortion to her, but this wood apparently burns pretty clean, because there isn't the slightest haze over the wood in her vision.

Still, she stares at the fire because she has found that when she does things like everyone else - regardless of whether they make sense to her - it tends to put them a little more at ease with travelling with a "Minion of the Splugorth".

Halfway through her plate of sausages, White Castle joins her on the makeshift log bench.

"So when they introduced you as "Sis" I assumed that was a nickname, or call-sign, or something. But I just finished going through the files on the crew, and "Sis" is the only name listed for you." He leaves the question hanging without actually asking it.

Sis nods, setting down the plate and leans back. "That's because I don't actually have one." She turns away from castle slightly and uses her hand to lift up the hair that hangs below her shoulder. A small tatoo on the back of her neck is exposed:

515

"Altaran Warrior women aren't given names by the Splugorth. We get numbers. An ID to differentiate us from the rest of the clones in our specific batch." She lowers her hair and turns back to he scout. "You typically don't name property, you know. That was one of the first things that lead me to know that I was somehow different. Altaran's will take on Aliases some time when they venture into enemy territory to better interface with the locals, but when they come back to Splugorth lands, they always revert to using their numbers. I didn't get it. Why didn't they keep their names... I started getting jealous of thsoe who went on reconnaissance missions and got assigned aliases. I really wanted a name..."

She pauses for a moment, pondering on that time of discovery of herself as an individual, then continues "Later when I had joined my first Merc band, one of the captains started calling me "Sis". I had no idea what it meant at the time. Was just happy to be called something that wasn't a slur. By the time I knew what it meant it had stuck, and by the time I left that crew, I had already start thinking of myself that way. It would seem odd to change it now."


Castle smiles at Sis.

"There are groups that operate like the Splugorth and labeling property. Then there are those like mine that we give up our identiity to become agents of the organization, There are many who bear the name White Castle."

"I understand your position and situation. Maybe in time we can find a name that has more appeal to you. For the time being, Sis will do."

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

GM Mini Update: Because it was asked in Hangouts, your information tells you the orb was last spotted in a settlement called Gatestown. You do not have anything more specific than that, unfortunately.

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

Dazzle accepted the plastic case from White Castle. “Oh, this is a cassette tape,” she said. “I do have a reader for this, and I can digitize it for you, if you want,” she said. “I’m a bit of an audio aficionado,” she admitted. “And Grease is greast!”

Setting the sausages down beside the fire for everyone to help themselves to seconds, she scrambled up into the Glitter Grrl!! and set to work, and soon the ancient rock of Greased Lightning echoed through the forest.

https://youtu.be/H-kL8A4RNQ8

“What’s a dark harvest?” Dazzle asked, hopping down from her rig. She grabbed a sausage on a fork and bit the tip, washing it down with a beer.

***

Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 4/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest (REDUX)

Post by White Castle »

"Sorry Sweatheart, what you hold is a CD. Compact Disc."

Opening up a reinforced satchel case on his hovercycle, he pulls out several other boxy looking objects.

A stocky one about the size of a man's fist, "This is an 8-track."

Another rectangular object a third the size of the first, "This one is a cassette tape."

Last object he holds up for @Dazzle to look at, is a device that is very thin, about an inch square, has a hole on one end and a flat rectangular opening on the opposite end. There is a four directional button on one of the flat surfaces. "And this. This is an Eye Ffle."

When Dazzle gives him a look, of are you crazy, there ain't no such thing, Castle motions for her to come closer, where he pulls out a magnifying glass. Using the light of the fire he points to a certain section of the squarish device where there is a label that read Letter I, followed by a blankspace and the letters ffle.
08112274bf3d0d331c926bbccd5c5695.jpg
08112274bf3d0d331c926bbccd5c5695.jpg (12.87 KiB) Viewed 2167 times

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

"Sweet! Is that like the Eyefull tower?"

Just like that, with no warning, Squidge was there. Standing by White Castle and Dazzle like she'd been there all along...which could easily have been the case. She was leaning forward, examining the Eyeffle minutely. Old stuff was pretty interesting, she thought. It wasn't something many folks in Psyscape were that into, though the City in the Mists had Operators that made sure they weren't TOO backwards. Since coming out to liason with the Tomorrow Legion though, Squidge had discovered just how advanced technology could get!

"Oh, anyway...yeah the 'dark harvest' is kind of the melodramatic"...here she gave Hedge a look..."way some people in the know describe what the Eater of Souls is doing when he, uh...you know. Eats souls. It's kind of a thing."

She inhaled and waved a hand. "Kind of a BIG thing, really. I know it's not the mission here, but we really need to be on the look out. Nxla is no joke. It took everything Psyscape had to beat him last time, and we're not as strong as we used to be."

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

The baubles from before the Great Cataclysm held little interest to Hedge, all their technological marvels couldn't save them afterall, so they were relics of the doomed. Copying their music or their eye flles seemed like following them down the path to a similar fate. Before we can weigh in he listens to Squidge describe the eater of souls with equal parts terror and glib. It causes him to wince a little but he doesn't react. There was a new existential threat coming through a rift everyday. Who could blame her for just seeing it all as part of the scenery.

Poking the fire to draw up some flames he uses a piece of burning bark to light a cigarette.

"I imagine the neemans would not have envisioned this future for themselves. Their legacy nothing but scraps of a forgotten age. At least it tells us nothing is certain, and our futures are not predestined. We act today and let tomorrow sort itself out." He smiles halfheartedly, "So eight trac, cee-dee, or eyeffle - let's hear this music of our ancestors already. The levity will do us all good."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

Interlude
[dice:1o039ty0]64478:0[/dice:1o039ty0]
50 km outside of Calgary - 3 years ago

The demon is dead, yet Vincent is heartbroken. The remains of the beast continue to burn along with those of Vasily Maxim, the greatest witch killer the world has ever knonw. Vasily Maxim who raised Vincent from a child, taught him the trade.

The hard part is next. Vincent takes the sword, walks over to his oldest friend. Maybe it didn't have to be done. Maybe since Vasily was so pure, so wise...The body twitched. The body twitched and Vincent's instincts are so razor sharp that he lops the head off before it can twitch any more. He stands there over his friends body, but he does not weep. He has too many things to do. He takes off into the night, looking for Razael, the human shifter that was responsible for all of this...

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Victory
[dice:eulg5vzp]64485:0[/dice:eulg5vzp]
Billy sits quietly at the camp fire. He enjoys the sausages quite a bit, they remind him of home, but is unsure about all the rest of what is going on. When he hears about this “dark harvest” he thinks back to an early encounter he had as a deputy.
One of the local farmers was complaining about some of his cattle going missing so Billy was assigned to see what was going on. After questioning the farmer he decided he needed to go look at the area himself. When he got there there was some sign of struggle and a faint trail. Following the trail led to a cave in a near by mountain.

Just as he decided to go tell the sheriff that he may need some back up a huge ogre charged out of the cave. He was so surprised that when his mount spooked and bolted he fell off. Quickly leaping to his feet Billy drew his trusty Colt and powered it up along with some protection. The ogre's initial swing missed by less than any sane man would want.

The next several seconds were filled with ogre bellows and pistol fire. Billy danced around the monster and scored a few hits but nothing definitive. Fortunately, the ogre's blows were no better. Unfortunately, the ogre got lucky first. A massive blow threw Billy several yards back breaking at least one rib and knocking the air of him. Knowing he only had one more chance Billy sighted on the ogre and pulled the trigger.

After catching his breath Billy stood up and walked over to the ogre's body. There, just to the left of the breast bone, was the wound. A clean shot to the heart. Shaking his head in wonder Billy went to check out the cave. In there he found the remains of several cows as well as a couple of humanoids. There was not enough left to determine race much less identity. He did find a really nice sword though and took that with him.
Looking around the camp Billy finally speaks. ”Well, this Nxla can be killed just like everything else. It may not stay dead for long but we should be able to stop this harvest if the need arises. For now we just need to worry about the orb.” Looking over to Dazzle he nods. ”I think I like that music. Got any more?”
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Conditions
You pass the night in safety, and the next morning is a picturesque day in the Magic Zone. The temperature is a little on the cool side, but not so cold as to be particularly uncomfortable, and the sun is bright and shining. There are clouds in the sky, but they are the white, puffy ones you always see in children’s drawings, and they are relaxing. It is, in fact, hard to be in much of a bad mood as you begin your travels for the day.

A Forest Meeting
As the SET advances, your trail takes you through a forest on the way to Gatestown, and you encounter a lightly-armored male elf pulling along a manacled human female and sixteen humanoids of various races behind her. The sixteen followers have haunted, almost agonized looks to their faces, and they appear to be in some kind of a trance. They do not appear to be “all there,” so to speak, and they shuffle behind the other two in a loose gaggle, with some of them wandering off into the surrounding woods from time to time. No one appears to have noticed you yet.
Elf
Psi-Warrior.jpg
Shuffling Followers
Soulless Xombie.png
The elf pulls the human woman along and growls at her, “For the last time, control them, or I
will kill you where you stand!”

He yanks hard on the manacled chain, wrenching the slight looking woman to the ground, where she falls to her knees. The sixteen people following behind undergo a rapid transformation, their distant looks replaced with snarling faces as a group of them move quickly, belying their earlier shuffling, to surround the fallen woman in a defensive circle.
Occult Roll
Anyone who makes an Occult roll with no penalty will recognize that these are not typical undead. Anyone who makes an Occult roll with a raise will recognize that these are so-called “Soulless Xombies,” still-living but possessed people forced to serve the will of the creature known as Nxla.
The elf takes a half step back, seemingly in spite of himself, and his face fills with anger. “You will get no further warnings,” he says to the woman as he reaches his hand out to his side. A bright blade constructed of what appears to be yellow light appears in the elf’s hand.
Notice Rolls
Anyone who makes a Notice roll can tell that the elf appears hesitant, and he seems to be making up his mind as to how best to proceed, his threat notwithstanding.
How Do You Respond?
It is up to the SET how you would like to respond to the situation. Please go ahead and make your posts in any order and I will role play for the NPCs as appropriate.

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

The best thing about Castle's Hovercycle is it's silent running. He had turned up a more weaponized model, planning to get the nuclear power core and increase its speed and handling. As it currently is, his 357 Turbo Magnum, had him out in front of the team, not so much scouting but just enjoying the scenerary when he came upon the elf and his entourage.

Occult 12
Scholar +2
[*] Occult (1d12) [dice:23ygpu8l]64496:0[/dice:23ygpu8l]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:23ygpu8l]64496:1[/dice:23ygpu8l]

Castle had come across such creatures and individuals on his way to respond to another Castle's summons to the Castle Refuge.

In Elven, "Where might you be taking these people?"

In Demongogian, "Are you part of the gathering?"

In his past encounters, they seemed to look past him or at him not at all. Castle surmized that because he had no Arcane Abilities, they were not interested in him.

Notice 17
Investigator +2
[*] Notice (1d10) [dice:23ygpu8l]64496:2[/dice:23ygpu8l]
[*] Aced! Notice (1d10+10) [dice:23ygpu8l]64496:4[/dice:23ygpu8l]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:23ygpu8l]64496:3[/dice:23ygpu8l]
In Elven, "How is it that you have avoided becoming one of them? You should be very concerned. This many of Nxla's spawn in one place is very dangerous."
Last edited by White Castle on Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Detect Arcana 3 (+2 to detect supernatural evil or dark arcana)
Psionics [dice:199twcjq]64497:0[/dice:199twcjq]
Wild [dice:199twcjq]64497:1[/dice:199twcjq]
Notice 11, success
Notice [dice:199twcjq]64497:2[/dice:199twcjq]
Wild [dice:199twcjq]64497:3[/dice:199twcjq]
Ace [dice:199twcjq]64497:6[/dice:199twcjq]
Empathy 4, Success
Psionics [dice:199twcjq]64497:4[/dice:199twcjq]
Wild [dice:199twcjq]64497:5[/dice:199twcjq]
Riding along the trail upon his horse, Strider, the grizzly cyberknight is slightly taken aback by the sight of the elf and his prisoners. Yet. this is the magic zone and there may yet be an explanation. Nonetheless, the threats of violence speak to Hedge's code. A code he was trying to remember how to uphold. Beneath his cloak he reflexively raises his cyber-armor.

Approaching the group on horseback he eyes them for any evil intent, then waits while White Castle addresses the group.
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Notice 7
Notice [dice:71j1sn9f]64502:0[/dice:71j1sn9f]
Free action Dispel on Psi-blade- 8
Note: Nega Psychics roll spirit for a free action dispel
Spirit [dice:71j1sn9f]64502:4[/dice:71j1sn9f]
Wild [dice:71j1sn9f]64502:1[/dice:71j1sn9f]

-1 ISP
Persuasion 5 - +1 to whichever of our face characters makes the primary persuasion roll
Persuasion: Attractive +1
Persuasion [dice:71j1sn9f]64502:2[/dice:71j1sn9f]
Wild [dice:71j1sn9f]64502:3[/dice:71j1sn9f]
When the elf makes his threat, Sis acts almost without thinking. Though she doesn't recognize their nature, Sis has never encountered zombies that didn't represent a threat. However, the shackled woman seems to have them under some sort of control. If that's true, the real threat is if that control is lost by her sudden demise at the hand of the elf. Besides, she has a particular dislike of slavers, and this elf is certainly acting like the one's shes met.

She waves a hand, summoning forth a null energy that Hedge sees in the arcane spectrum as just a black void to wrap around the glowing blade.

"I think if you kill that woman, those undead will swarm us. Some of us may survive that, but Id'd rather not risk being one of the ones that don't. Wouldn't you agree?"

Though she address the unnamed elf, she unholsters her revolver and points it toward the ground in the general direction of the nearest undead.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Notice 4, Persuasion 12
Notice: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:0[/dice:2af47ykt]
Wild: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:1[/dice:2af47ykt]

Persuasion: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:2[/dice:2af47ykt]
Wild: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:3[/dice:2af47ykt]
Charismatic Reroll
Persuasion: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:4[/dice:2af47ykt]
Wild: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:5[/dice:2af47ykt] Ace: [dice:2af47ykt]64503:6[/dice:2af47ykt] + 1 = 12 (+1 Support)
The tense standoff between the elves and the individuals following him notwithstanding, Goswin can tell the elf is uneasy, and he walks towards the elf warrior @White Castle is speaking with. Goswin approaches in a friendly manner and armed with nothing more than what appears to be his walking staff in hand. Holding his free arm wide in a nonthreatening gesture, Goswin says, "Hello, stranger! My name is Goswin, and my friends and I have come to the Magic Zone on a mission. Please dont get upset with @Sis, she's just trying to make sure we all get the chance to chat because we couldn't help but notice that you seem to have found yourself in a bit of a situation here. Maybe you could tell us your story? We're not above helping someone get through dire straights, after all. Who knows, maybe you even have vital information that could help us complete our mission!"

Goswin looks between the elf, the girl, and the shuffling folks now surrouding her and asks, "We might even be able to learn something from the girl and her companions, too, if you would be so kind as to let us speak with her as well?"
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

GM Mini Response:

Several things happen almost at once.
White Castle wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:17 am

In Elven, "Where might you be taking these people?"

In Elven, "How is it that you have avoided becoming one of them? You should be very concerned. This many of Nxla's spawn in one place is very dangerous."
The elf's eyebrow raises, whether at the sudden appearance of the human on a hovercycle or by the surprise of hearing his native tongue spoken so well by an outsider, you couldn't say.

“I would advise you, whoever you are, to stay back from this. You don’t know what you’re walking into.”

Castle is able to recall in almost perfect detail pretty much everything there is to know about Soulless Xombies (see page 166 in Arcana & Mysticism for details), including that they are typically controlled by a mortal agent of Nxla.

Castle can also tell that the elf is clearly conflicted as to whether he ought to slay his prisoner, and that he was genuinely weighing the pros and cons when Castle startled him.
Hedge wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:22 am

Approaching the group on horseback he eyes them for any evil intent, then waits while White Castle addresses the group.
Like Castle, Hedge knows pretty much all there is to know about Soulless Xombies, thanks to his prior encounters with the creatures. He can easily detect the presence of evil, supernatural magic swirling around the manacled woman and emanating from the 16 poor souls trailing behind her. It reminds him of necromancy, though it is not quite the same.

The elf emanates psionic power, and Hedge can sense that the man wishes to slay the woman, as she is the willing vassel to a great evil, but he fears for the state and safety of the Xombies if he does.
Sis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 pm

She waves a hand, summoning forth a null energy that Hedge sees in the arcane spectrum as just a black void to wrap around the glowing blade.
Resists Dispel
Exploding die led to him getting an 18 to resist the effort to dispel his Psi-Blade.
The elf’s eyes narrow as he takes in the various newcomers, and his stance shifts aggressively when Sis attempts to dispel his weapon.

“You people have no idea what you are doing!” he yells, his face beginning to redden with anger.
Initial Reaction Dropped to Hostile
Thanks to what he sees as an aggressive use of magic against his person, his initial reaction is reduced to hostile.
Sis wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:16 pm

"I think if you kill that woman, those undead will swarm us. Some of us may survive that, but Id'd rather not risk being one of the ones that don't. Wouldn't you agree?"

Though she address the unnamed elf, she unholsters her revolver and points it toward the ground in the general direction of the nearest undead.
To this, the elf does not reply, as Sis has hit on a version of the thoughts that occupy the warrior’s own mind.
Goswin Aigner wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:25 pm
The tense standoff between the elves and the individuals following him notwithstanding, Goswin can tell the elf is uneasy, and he walks towards the elf warrior @White Castle is speaking with. Goswin approaches in a friendly manner and armed with nothing more than what appears to be his walking staff in hand. Holding his free arm wide in a nonthreatening gesture, Goswin says, "Hello, stranger! My name is Goswin, and my friends and I have come to the Magic Zone on a mission. Please dont get upset with @Sis, she's just trying to make sure we all get the chance to chat because we couldn't help but notice that you seem to have found yourself in a bit of a situation here. Maybe you could tell us your story? We're not above helping someone get through dire straights, after all. Who knows, maybe you even have vital information that could help us complete our mission!"

Goswin looks between the elf, the girl, and the shuffling folks now surrouding her and asks, "We might even be able to learn something from the girl and her companions, too, if you would be so kind as to let us speak with her as well?"


The elf’s stance softens a bit as Goswin speaks, and he gives the slightest inkling of a nod.
Initial Reaction Raised to Uncooperative
The raise on Persuasion moved him up two categories, to uncooperative. From SWADE: “The target isn’t interested in getting involved unless there’s a significant advantage to himself.”


“Listen, all of you, I have a duty to do. The rest of you can just move along.”

For her part, the woman looks up, tears in her eyes.

“Please. He’ll kill me. Please…”

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Sensing the tension and piecing together what he knows of Xombies and Harvesters, Hedge gives Sis a short wave to stand down for a moment, then finally speaks up.

"She is a Harvester isn't she?" He asks with pain in his voice, knowing if that is true then the beings under her sway are Xombies and killing them would be the end of their mortal souls. They could even be his former team mates. However unlikely that may be the thought helped him from seeing them as faceless enemies.

"I don't know how you have her under your influence, but if you're attempting to free the trapped ones we may be able to help. If you're not," his eyes narrow slightly, "then I don't know what to make of you."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Occult 3, Notice 7
Occult: [dice:2j87igcu]64516:0[/dice:2j87igcu]
Wild: [dice:2j87igcu]64516:1[/dice:2j87igcu]

Notice: [dice:2j87igcu]64516:2[/dice:2j87igcu]
Wild: [dice:2j87igcu]64516:3[/dice:2j87igcu]
Ace: [dice:2j87igcu]64516:4[/dice:2j87igcu]
Billy walks along the trail enjoying the nice weather new sights. When the group encounters the elf and his companions he is not real sure what is going on. He does see that the elf is not sure if he wants to kill the woman but does not know why. Usually Billy knows he either wants to kill something, quite often, or that he does not. This is something sort of new to him so he decides to take his queues from the others.

Sliding slightly to the side, to ensure clear lines of fire, Billy just calmly rests his hand on his revolver and waits to see what develops.
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

"I would say, the elf has his own protections."

Looking over the team, "Were one of you trying to tamper with those safety measures? They are obviously working for him."

In Elven, "Brother, do you know this woman? "

Still in Elven, "How did you become aware of her? Where were you taking her?"
Last edited by White Castle on Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

OOC Comments
Occult [dice:2ijoblsv]64530:0[/dice:2ijoblsv]
Wild Die [dice:2ijoblsv]64530:1[/dice:2ijoblsv]
With his bow on his back, his sword in it's scabbard and his pistol in it's holster, Vincent has a variety of deadly instruments at hand. Therefore, he relaxes, yet keeps a good distance from the other party.

"My friend, where did you find these creatures? She is the ringleader, yes? Surely she is a valuable source of information, is she not? If she needs to be killed, well, you ran into the right group of people." He grins, revealing a set of teeth that have seen better days. "If it is in fact killing that needs to be done, well we could kill her a dozen different ways. Every single one of us has dedicated their lives to hunting and destroying the supernatural. A damn fine group, if I may say so, one of the best I've ever had the honor of being a member of. But...but. But what if she's worth a lot more to all of us alive? For now, at least. What if we can help you see if she's holding any secrets back from you before you kill her?"

He shrugs.

"Just an idea. You do what you need to do."
Persuasion 4
Persuasion [dice:2ijoblsv]64530:2[/dice:2ijoblsv]
Wild Die [dice:2ijoblsv]64530:3[/dice:2ijoblsv]
"Say, you haven't heard anything about an Orb of Mist, have you?"

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Occult 6
Occult [dice:27vvkbir]64602:0[/dice:27vvkbir]
Wild [dice:27vvkbir]64602:1[/dice:27vvkbir]
Ace [dice:27vvkbir]64602:2[/dice:27vvkbir]
Notice 5
Notice [dice:27vvkbir]64602:3[/dice:27vvkbir]
Wild [dice:27vvkbir]64602:4[/dice:27vvkbir]
Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

Dazzle studied the devices that White Castle showed her. “Yeah, okay. I’ve seen a lot of these. I can convert them,” she said. She was still a bit surprised Hedge wanted to hear the music. He didn’t seem the type to get groovy.

“Nixla? That’s a cool name. Who’s he?” she said, as she hopped up in her rig and started rearranging wires in her sound system.

***

As the party trudged along toward Gatestown, Dazzle rearranged some plugs on her board and tapped her sound system into the team radio to give them some travel music.

Travel Music

Dazzle perked up as something came up on her sensors. “Prox alert,” she informed the others, in case they were too into the music to pay attention to their sensors. “Two o’clock, coming from that trail in the woods up ahead.”

Dazzle started her preset sequence to warm up her weapons just in case as a man -- no, make that a pretty hot elve -- appeared dragging along a shackled female, followed by a bunch of people that looked like they might be drunk? “Are those zombies?” Dazzle asked, quickly flipping switches to bring her boom gun online.

Then the elf produced a psi-blade or something, threatening to kill the woman, though he seemed hesitant.

“So what’s the sitch, here, Pretty Boy?” Dazzle asked over her public address system. “And, um, guys, why are we not leaving a big crater where those zombies are? Shouldn’t we be taking care of this? What do ytou want with a bunch of zombies, handsome?” she asked the elf.

***

Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 4/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Squidge held out her hands, showing them to be empty. A symbolic gesture, given her powers, but still important.

"It's okay," she said to the elf. "Me and Hedge are from Psyscape. We know about Nyxla and the Harvest. We'd never let them go. Not on purpose. We didn't understand what was going on."

She takes a deep breath and exhales it slowly.

"I think we're on the same side. Maybe we can help each other out."

Rolls: Empathy 12
Psionics to use Empathy on the elf, try to get a sense of his intention, and get a bit of a bonus if I need to Persuade.
[dice:e1je1fdq]64642:0[/dice:e1je1fdq] or [dice:e1je1fdq]64642:1[/dice:e1je1fdq]
Aces! [dice:e1je1fdq]64642:4[/dice:e1je1fdq] or [dice:e1je1fdq]64642:5[/dice:e1je1fdq]
OR
[dice:e1je1fdq]64642:2[/dice:e1je1fdq] or [dice:e1je1fdq]64642:3[/dice:e1je1fdq]

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Conditions
It’s still a pleasant afternoon, and the air is cool and comfortable in the shade of the trees. It is a stark contrast to the tension and heaviness that hangs around the party and those they have discovered in their path.

Words

A lot of people start speaking at once, and the elf’s ears practically twitch as he takes it all in.
Hedge wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:47 pm
"She is a Harvester isn't she?" He asks with pain in his voice, knowing if that is true then the beings under her sway are Xombies and killing them would be the end of their mortal souls.

"I don't know how you have her under your influence, but if you're attempting to free the trapped ones we may be able to help. If you're not," his eyes narrow slightly, "then I don't know what to make of you."
White Castle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 am
In Elven, "Brother, do you know this woman? "

Still in Elven, "How did you become aware of her? Where were you taking her?"
The elf gives Hedge and Castle a seemingly grudging nod. “Yes, that she is. And I have her under my influence because she knows I will run her through if she doesn’t behave herself. She can’t cast, manacled as she is, and she’s headed to trial. As for these,” he indicates the Xombies, “something can be done for them, if fate is with us. And if I am not delayed.”
Vincent wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:53 am
"My friend, where did you find these creatures? She is the ringleader, yes? Surely she is a valuable source of information, is she not? If she needs to be killed, well, you ran into the right group of people." He grins, revealing a set of teeth that have seen better days. "If it is in fact killing that needs to be done, well we could kill her a dozen different ways. Every single one of us has dedicated their lives to hunting and destroying the supernatural. A damn fine group, if I may say so, one of the best I've ever had the honor of being a member of. But...but. But what if she's worth a lot more to all of us alive? For now, at least. What if we can help you see if she's holding any secrets back from you before you kill her?"
“She’ll die or she’ll live. That’s up to her,” he shoots the woman a glare. “And we have means of extracting secrets, though I suspect we know everything we need to know.”
Dazzle wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:11 pm
“So what’s the sitch, here, Pretty Boy?” Dazzle asked over her public address system. “And, um, guys, why are we not leaving a big crater where those zombies are? Shouldn’t we be taking care of this? What do you want with a bunch of zombies, handsome?” she asked the elf.
“A… pink Glitter Boy? Who on earth are you people?” comes his reply.

From where she is on the ground, the slip of a human woman weeps openly. “It’s not true! It’s not true! Please! These things came for me, and I thought he was saving me, but he’s chained me up and is dragging me along with them!”
Squidge wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:11 pm
Squidge held out her hands, showing them to be empty. A symbolic gesture, given her powers, but still important.

"It's okay," she said to the elf. "Me and Hedge are from Psyscape. We know about Nxla and the Harvest. We'd never let them go. Not on purpose. We didn't understand what was going on."

She takes a deep breath and exhales it slowly.

"I think we're on the same side. Maybe we can help each other out."
At the mention of Psyscape, the tension in the elven-warrior's shoulders seems to relax. “You are from Psyscape? Truly?”

Squidge can tell that his mood becomes considerably more open to talking. “Good. Then perhaps you will understand. My name is Tessaric, and I am a Psi-Warrior. We tracked this one for days, and caught up to her just yesterday. We managed to capture her, but at a great cost. Only two of us made it, and Lessa died of her wounds this morning, and now it’s just me. We have, I have to get her back to the city, alive if I can, dead if I can’t. She can’t be allowed to take any more souls.”

Squidge's empathy lets her see that Tessaric is sincere, and that he is in incredible emotional pain. It almost staggers her to feel it, even second hand.

From her position on the ground, the woman swears quietly under her breath. “Dammit. Psyscape. Okay, then. Plan B.”

And with no more warning than that, the sixteen Xombies rush at Tessaric and at the rest of you. Tessaric realizes, too late, that he has stepped too far away from his prisoner. Though she remains chained, her lead is now too long for him to reach her quickly enough to prevent the Xombies’ assault.

“No!” he screams as he brings up his sword in a defensive stance. “Do not do this! Do not make me do this!!”

Xombie Surprise!

This is a Surprise round! Everyone make a Notice roll (at +2 if you have Danger Sense, per the Edge description). Anyone who makes their roll will get an Action Card this round. Anyone who fails their roll will still be able to put up a role play post, but will not get an Action Card until next round.

The Xombies and the chained Harvester will begin on Hold. They will be dealt cards as normal (just in case they get a Joker), but will go first unless someone on the team draws a Joker.

I will draw initiative after everyone makes their rolls. Good luck!

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

Notice 21
Notice [dice:1yw132te]64684:0[/dice:1yw132te]
Ace [dice:1yw132te]64684:2[/dice:1yw132te]
Ace [dice:1yw132te]64684:3[/dice:1yw132te]
Wild Die [dice:1yw132te]64684:1[/dice:1yw132te]
They say the eyes are the window to the soul. Vincent wasn't so sure he believed that, but he did know that eyes are important to watch, eyes and hands. He see's the woman glance to her right, for just a second, and out of his peripheral vision he sees one of the Xombies crouch, it's dirty fingers forming a fist. It's too quick to shout out a warning, but Vincent hopes his companions will see him draw his bow, which he does in a motion as smooth as glass, as he pulls back the string, ready to loose magical arrows toward the Xombies and their keeper.

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

Grateful for his hovering distance (above the crowds) Castle decides on his options.

Notice 3 _
[*] Notice (1d10) [dice:znbj52co]64686:0[/dice:znbj52co]
[*] Wild (1d6) [dice:znbj52co]64686:1[/dice:znbj52co]
He looks down at the situation, uncertain if he can run the Xombies over. He knows he has no weapons mounted on his 357 and driving and shooting are not necessarily his forte. Castle waits for a moment, looking for an opportunity to cull the herd or cut some of the Xombies or even the Harvester, taking her out of comission.

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Notice 13

Notice [dice:2r7mz3d4]64691:0[/dice:2r7mz3d4]
Ace! [dice:2r7mz3d4]64691:2[/dice:2r7mz3d4]
Wild [dice:2r7mz3d4]64691:1[/dice:2r7mz3d4]
Double Ace! [dice:2r7mz3d4]64691:3[/dice:2r7mz3d4]
Pursuit wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:47 pm
From her position on the ground, the woman swears quietly under her breath. “Dammit. Psyscape. Okay, then. Plan B.”
Some think that because the warrior women's radar mostly makes up for their lack of sight, that they don't get the attuned sense of hearing that the truly blind develop. They would be wrong. Sis picks up the foolish woman's words, and shouts, too late to be helpful, "Watchout!".

However with pistol already half raised, she does notice soon enough to draw her vibroknife in her offhand to help fend of the oncoming Xombies.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Notice 10
Notice [dice:2ckc3r83]64692:0[/dice:2ckc3r83]
Ace [dice:2ckc3r83]64692:2[/dice:2ckc3r83]
Wild [dice:2ckc3r83]64692:1[/dice:2ckc3r83]
A psi-warrior? Return to Psycape?

As Hedge considers these revelations his psychic empathy flashes a sudden change in emotion from the Harvester. From hard experience he knows that whatever comes next will not be good. He steadies Strider and turns to face the enemy.
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Notice: 8
[dice:303jztpw]64699:0[/dice:303jztpw]
[dice:303jztpw]64699:1[/dice:303jztpw]
Billy watches the exchange but keeps his eyes on the woman. Considering the way those... things jumped to protect her she is the more suspicious of the two talkers. Seeing her shoulders sag slightly just before she speaks he knows things are about to go down. Time for another shoot out.
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Notice 8; -1 Benny
Notice: [dice:3ma577zf]64703:0[/dice:3ma577zf] (+2 Primordial Bond [Danger Sense])
Wild: [dice:3ma577zf]64703:1[/dice:3ma577zf]
Benny
Notice: [dice:3ma577zf]64703:2[/dice:3ma577zf] (+2 Primordial Bond [Danger Sense], +2 Elan)
Wild: [dice:3ma577zf]64703:3[/dice:3ma577zf]
"Look out!" Goswin shouts at the elf as the strange xombie creatures get ready to attack. Goswin raises his staff towards the sky and a bolt of lightning strikes down from the clear skies into the stafff which begins crackling with electricity. Lowering the staff, he brings his left hand next to the gem inset into the head of the staff and high voltage destruction begins arking between Goswin's hand and the staff.

"@Squidge, @Hedge, is there any way to save these xombies, or should we destroy them? If they must die, do they have any weaknesses we could exploit?" Goswin asks as he points the arc of electrical death snaking around his left hand towards the nearest xombie.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

"Destroying the Xombies will doom the little hope their souls have left. We have to bring the Harvester under our sway and force her to call them off. If we must fight, we must, then they are susceptible to mind powers."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Squidge's face brightened at the elf's reaction to her news, but when she opened her mind to his emotions, she felt something else as well. Something darker, overshadowing him. Her eyes went to the captive, and widened.

"Oh shoot."

Rolls: Notice 5
Notice: [dice:xn0iluap]64713:0[/dice:xn0iluap] or [dice:xn0iluap]64713:1[/dice:xn0iluap]

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Notice 3 Crit fail
Notice [dice:36i0dinz]64723:0[/dice:36i0dinz]
Wild [dice:36i0dinz]64723:1[/dice:36i0dinz]
Technical Difficulties 5; Serious Problem, remove the Notice Bonus from GB armor
TD [dice:36i0dinz]64723:2[/dice:36i0dinz]
Hours to fix 5
[dice:36i0dinz]64723:3[/dice:36i0dinz]
Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

“A… pink Glitter Boy? Who on earth are you people?” Elf-Boy said.

“We’re the 32nd SET of the Tomorrow Legion, The Raptors!” Dazzle’s voice came over the PA system. “See?” The hand of her armor tapped the 32nd logo stenciled on her Glitter GRRL!!! next to her own evil bunny logo.

From where she is on the ground, the slip of a human woman weeps openly. “It’s not true! It’s not true! Please! These things came for me, and I thought he was saving me, but he’s chained me up and is dragging me along with them!”

“Oh, well, believe all women and all that,” Dazzle said. “Girl power! We gotta stick together.” Her boom gun whirred as the electro-magnetic rails came fully online.

And then Dazzle’s HUD system began to screw up, fuzzing out her sensors. “Damn! Must have knocked something loose. Hold on, guys--Holy crap!” she exclaimed as the zombies rushed them and the elf started screaming.

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
Character Information
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 4/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

@Billy and @Goswin Aigner Because you guys got raises on your Notice rolls, you start the round on hold. If you'd like to try and go before the bad guys, please respond and drop an Athletics roll to interrupt. The Target Number to beat is 5.

Once you have both had a chance to roll, I will draw Action Cards and then combat will start. You will both still get action cards even though you are on hold; you can ignore them for turn order, but I still draw just in case you get a joker.

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Athletics 10
Athletics to Interrupt vs 5
Athletics: [dice:3jnwr7vh]64727:0[/dice:3jnwr7vh]
Wild: [dice:3jnwr7vh]64727:1[/dice:3jnwr7vh] Ace: [dice:3jnwr7vh]64727:2[/dice:3jnwr7vh]
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Athletics 3
[dice:1zxygy3h]64737:0[/dice:1zxygy3h]
[dice:1zxygy3h]64737:1[/dice:1zxygy3h]
Hearing everyone talking about don't kill this, don't kill that, Billy hesitates. "SO WHO DO I SHOOT?" This is just long enough that the bad guys start doing bad things before he gets an answer.
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Take Initiative!

Action cards:

Goswin: QS
Billy: 10C
Squidge: 2C
Hedge: 10S
Sis: 3S
Vincent: 3H
Tessaric the Psi-Warrior: KD
As yet unidentified Harvester woman: 8S, QH
Xombie horde: 2H


No jokers were drawn this round, so @Goswin Aigner will act first, then the bad guys, then the rest of the party who made their notice rolls (all of whom should be on the list above). Neither @Dazzle nor @White Castle gets an action, but I encourage you both to still put up a RP post about how your characters react to the surprise attack going on around them.

As a reminder of our house rule, @Dazzle should take a benny for her crit fail description.

Goswin, you are up!

GM Edit: To clarify, the bad guys are all on hold, as are Goswin and Billy. I drew cards for them just in case they got jokers. Once Goswin has finished his turn, I will do a GM post for the bad guys, and then the rest of the crew that got Action Cards will get their turns in any order. Thanks!

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Focus 12, Focus 9, Focus 11, Focus 14; -1 Benny, +5 PP, -19 PP

Focus Action 1
Celerity (Speed; -2 PP) +Exalted Quickness (-4 PP)
Focus: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:0[/dice:2ywhfntd] (-4 MAP)
Wild: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:1[/dice:2ywhfntd]
Lightning Fusion Reroll
Focus: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:2[/dice:2ywhfntd]
Wild: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:3[/dice:2ywhfntd] Ace: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:4[/dice:2ywhfntd]

Focus Action 2
Primordial Binding (Entangle; -2 PP) + Area of Effect (-3 PP) + Greater Entangle (-4 PP) + Selective (-1 PP)
Eating a Benny because Powers are so damn Expensive and Elemental Fusionists have, like, 2.935 PP total to start...
Focus: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:5[/dice:2ywhfntd]
Wild: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:6[/dice:2ywhfntd]
@Pursuit the affected Xombies and possibly the elf's prisoner are all Bound by Hardness 12 bindings of lightning.
  • Bound: The victim may not move, is Distracted and Vulnerable as long as he remains Bound, and cannot make physical actions other than trying to break free.
They may attempt to break free of their bindings at -4, or they may attempt to destroy the Hardness 12 bindings (no raises, no aces).
  • Breaking Free from a Device:Escaping a web, net, or the entangle power is a Strength −2 roll or Athletics roll (victim’s choice) minus any penalties noted for the entanglement. The sticky web of a giant spider, for example, might note that escape attempts are made at −2 or more. This is an action, and if the victim’s successful, she improves her status one level, or two with a raise.
    Characters and allies may also destroy the entanglement (see Breaking Things, page 98). Webs, ropes, nets, and the like are generally Hardness 4 and must be cut with an edged weapon.)
Focus Action 3
Elemental Control (Elemental Manipulation -1 PP) + Exalted Manipulation (-2 PP)
Focus: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:7[/dice:2ywhfntd]
Wild: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:8[/dice:2ywhfntd]

Free Test vs Xombie
Focus: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:9[/dice:2ywhfntd] (+4 Life Sign Harmony)
Wild: [dice:2ywhfntd]64751:10[/dice:2ywhfntd]
@Pursuit I would like to test the nearest unentangled xombie with a ferocious gust of wind, pushing it down and restricting her ability to act. If I succeed I would like it to be Vulnerable. A raise means it is Vulnerable, Distracted and Shaken.
"Right," Goswin nods at @Hedge, "Don't kill the xombies if we can avoid it. I can work with that..."

He takes a quick look at the enemy positions and smirks the tiniest bit. Goswin brings the staff's lightning that's curling around his left hand to his mouth and "eats" it, more for show and to look cool in front of his new teammates than for any kind of necessity. It zips down his throat as if he had inhaled it. Seconds later, Goswin's body starts sparking and little arcs of electricity play across his robes and skin.

Goswin reaches up towards the sky nearly too quickly to follow then chops his hand down towards the cluster of xombies around the elf's prisoner. A flash of light brightens the field then a crack of thunder follows the light. When the light fades, the xombies and the girl can clearly be seen spasming where they stand. They begin struggling against bands of lightning wrapped around their bodies, but Goswin made the bindings too strong to easily rip through.

Lightning is flashy, and earth is sturdy, but Goswin's true strength lies in his life sign of air. As he begins backpedaling towards his allies, Goswin sends a torrent of air swirling down onto the nearest xombie. The effort to keep the xombies distracted long enough for his allies to gain full control over the situation is exhausting. Goswin expends nearly all of his power with the effort, but it seems to be working.

He stops in the back line of the 32nd and says, "The bindings should keep the xombies and the girl occupied briefly. I don't mind saying that I'm quite proud of those bindings, but depending on how strong xombies are, they might tear through them quickly. If we don't stop the girl fast, we might be forced to deal with the xombies more permanently."

Temporary Conditions
Celerity: Goswin doubles his movement (basic Pace and running), and he also ignores the −2 running penalty (4/5 Turns remaining).
  • Exalted Quickness: Goswin suffers no Multi-Action penalties.
Elemental Control: This power grants Goswin basic control over the four traditional elements: air, earth, fire, and water (the elements may vary depending on the setting). The power acts as if it has a d8 Strength (4/5 Turns remaining)
  • Exalted Manipulation: The elemental effect lashes out at the caster’s opponents. Once per round the caster may use a free action to Test a target within Range using his arcane skill.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Note: 6 xombies surround the woman. Because she is on the ground and so surrounded, attacks targeting her suffer a -4 penalty and her xombie shields count as innocent bystanders for the rules regarding firing into melee.

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

Dazzle’s hands scrambled over the controls of her Glitter Grrl!!!, trying to clear it of alerts caused by the sensor malfunction. She put her boom gun on standby. It was way too close quarters to use it without a friendly fire incident.

“Don’t hurt the zombies,” the DJ muttered. “Why the hell not? They’re undead! Nothing good will come of zombies running around! And fuck. I’m nearly broke. How much is it going to cost to fix this?” She sighed.

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
Character Information
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 5/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal
GM Note: PG-13
That's your one F-Bomb for this adventure, @Dazzle. :) More than one and the rating goes up to R.

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

"Ms Dazzle, zombies have had their spirit separated from their physical bodies. Destroying them is common sense."

"Xombies are a bit different. Their spirits are locked away. Leaving a physical vessel for the servants on Nyxla to inhabit. The body must be intact if we are to bring the whole person back to life."

Castle continues to hover above the heads of the zombies, wishing he had like a large stone or something heavy to drop on the Harvester's head.

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

"Right, but don't kill her either!" Squidge blurts. "She's the only one who can control them!"

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Watching the strange elementals work, Hedge steels himself to see what the remaining creatures will do. Perhaps being restrained will cause the Harvest to re think her position.

Yeah right

"Yep, it's a raw deal. We gotta keep the truly nasty one alive to have a shot at rescuing those forced against their will. They don't call it evil for nothing."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

"Ms. Dazzle, zombies have had their spirit separated from their physical bodies. Destroying them is common sense. Xombies are a bit different. Their spirits are locked away. Leaving a physical vessel for the servants on Nyxla to inhabit. The body must be intact if we are to bring the whole person back to life,” White Castle excplained.

Dazzle stared at him on her HUD. “You just said the same thing! They’re zombies!” She rolled her eyes and popped a wad of pink bubble gum into her mouth. “They’re shambling undead to me!”

“Not seeing what incentive the lady has to play nice. We’ve already said we won’t kill her. Seems to me these zombies are rampaging whether she’s alive or not.”

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
Character Information
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 5/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Billy growls. "Fine! Don't shoot any one. Then we do this the old fashioned way." His hand moves from his pistol to the sword hilt extending over his shoulder.
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

GM Admin Post: Thanks for your patience, folks. I should have the bad guys' post up tomorrow.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Conditions
The weather continues to be pleasant and clear, with the temperature in the forest being ever so slightly chilly.

Xombie Reactions
Xombies attempt to break free
X1: 1, bound
X2: 6, entangled
X3: 9, free
X4: 2, bound
X5: 11, free
X6: 12, free
Izira: 1, bound
Three of the Xombies manage to break free from Goswin’s spell, but the woman and the others remain either fully bound or at least entangled.

Two Xombies rush Tessaric, ganging up on the Psi-Warrior. He snarls and drops the end of the chain he was holding, using all his focus to defend himself, his psi-blade flashing. He also manages to summon forth a shield of Psionic energy and hold it between himself and his attackers.
Rolls

X7 Fighting: 3, miss
X8 Fighting: 5, miss


One Xombie, a young D’Norr girl dressed in rags, rushes Squidge, her face a mask of pain. Before striking, though, her face changes and she stumbles, falling to one knee. “Please,” her voice rasps, “please. It’s in my head… please.” The girl begins to weep, a struggle clear on her face.

Squidge, seeing this horrific display, must make a Fear roll at -2. If she fails the roll, she will add +2 to her resulting roll on the Fear table.

Two Xombies dash towards Goswin, having witnessed his attack on their mistress, and rake at him with their bare hands to devastating effect. The young elementalist takes two rocking blows.
Rolls

X10 Fighting: 9, hit with a raise, 24 MD, AP 6 - Shaken with two wounds
X11 Fighting: 5, hit, 19 MD, AP 6 - Shaken, or, if already Shaken, an additional wound


Three of the Xombies gravitate towards Dazzle, foregoing softer targets and running towards her at full speed. She is too far away for them to reach her this round, but they will be on her by next round.

The final two Xombies rush towards Billy. One reaches him quickly, but the other will not get to him until next turn. The Xombie that closes with Billy takes a swing at the big orc gunslinger, but misses.
Rolls
X15 Fighting: 6, miss


The Team May Go
The remainder of the team may now take their turns in any order. Good luck!

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Squidge's eyes widened on seeing the husk of the woman enact its gruesome little play. It was all the worse knowing what she knew; that this was just a marionette of flesh. Any mind or soul that might have made such a plea was in no position to do so...it was gone, to a terrible place.

"Don't worry," she said, summoning up all her conviction and fortitude. She was not a fighter, but she was of Psyscape. This was her fight, ready or not. "I'm gonna fix you right up."

She reached into her pocket and produced a small black sphere, with a white infinity sign on it. She shook this strange artifact and murmured, "Will I be successful?" Then Squidge peered deeply into it and seemed satisfied with what she saw.

It wasn't the woman she focused on though...it was the harvester. Hopelessly caught up in the spell, restrained...the harvester of souls was unable to look away as Squidge's eyes bored into hers. The rest of the world shivered and faded away.

mine is the only voice you hear...

Rolls: Fear 4, Puppet 8 on Harvester (she is -4 to resist), 1 benny spent, 5 ISP spent
Fear (at -2) [dice:2b49xkei]65127:0[/dice:2b49xkei] or [dice:2b49xkei]65127:1[/dice:2b49xkei]
Using conviction point from epilogue: [dice:2b49xkei]65127:2[/dice:2b49xkei] Just made it!

Psionics roll, with psychic focus, to use Puppet on the fair yon Harvester. Spending 6 ISP to use Mind Control, for -2 to resist.
[dice:2b49xkei]65127:3[/dice:2b49xkei] or [dice:2b49xkei]65127:4[/dice:2b49xkei]
Mind Melter reroll, because HAX
[dice:2b49xkei]65127:5[/dice:2b49xkei] or [dice:2b49xkei]65127:6[/dice:2b49xkei]

Hm, I'd like a raise on that if possible... Benny! [dice:2b49xkei]65127:8[/dice:2b49xkei] or [dice:2b49xkei]65127:9[/dice:2b49xkei]
Hm. That was weird; must have mis-entered it. Trying again. Okay, that worked that time.

She has Mentalist, so the Harvester is at a total of -4 to resist.
[dice:2b49xkei]65127:7[/dice:2b49xkei]
Last edited by Squidge on Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:47 am, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Izira feels @Squidge begin to take over her mind and groans. She tries to beat back the incursion, fails, tries again, and fails again.

She flops listlessly to the ground, awaiting commands.
Both her WC bennies were spent, but she couldn’t win this one.

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Stop those under your control from attacking anyone.

Out loud Squidge shouted, "I have her! She's going to tell them to stop! I can't hold her for long though, so we need a plan!"

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

As Squidge reports domination over the Harvester, Hedge nudges Strider forward, setting himself and his blazing psi-sword in between the remaining Xombies and the group. He steals himself to grapple with any who break free as he waves his sword to push them back.

He looks to Tessirac, "Do you have means to contain them?"

(On Hold, ready to to charge on horseback if they continue the attack)
boot Trait (Athletics) - innate. Athletics is now d10
Psionics [dice:2r10qqio]65131:1[/dice:2r10qqio]
Wild [dice:2r10qqio]65131:0[/dice:2r10qqio]
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Vigor 9; -2 Wounds, +Shaken, -1 Benny
Soaking
Vigor: [dice:2m5m4a49]65133:0[/dice:2m5m4a49] Ace: [dice:2m5m4a49]65133:2[/dice:2m5m4a49]
Wild: [dice:2m5m4a49]65133:1[/dice:2m5m4a49]
Two xombies rush Goswin, but he manages to keep them at bay with his staff. He zaps one with the lightning crystal and buys himself a moment to breath when the other sends him reeling with a glancing blow.

"@Squidge!" Goswin shouts, "I'm not much of a fighter. If you don't get these xombies under control, soon, I'll have to defend myself!"

Temporary Conditions
Shaken: May only take free actions, such as moving (including running).
Celerity: Goswin doubles his movement (basic Pace and running), and he also ignores the −2 running penalty (4/5 Turns remaining).
  • Exalted Quickness: Goswin suffers no Multi-Action penalties.
Elemental Control: This power grants Goswin basic control over the four traditional elements: air, earth, fire, and water (the elements may vary depending on the setting). The power acts as if it has a d8 Strength (4/5 Turns remaining)
  • Exalted Manipulation: The elemental effect lashes out at the caster’s opponents. Once per round the caster may use a free action to Test a target within Range using his arcane skill.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

GM Administrative Note: The Harvester will issue commands to the Xombies on her next turn.

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

Monster Slayer 6 - Everyone gets a +1 vs Xombies

Occult [dice:wbwi8r8i]65135:0[/dice:wbwi8r8i]
Wild Die [dice:wbwi8r8i]65135:1[/dice:wbwi8r8i]
"Be careful, they sort of shamble. Aim for center of mass, my friends." He says cheerfully, pulling back on his spirit bow.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

GM clarification: only characters who made their Notice rolls and got Action Cards may act this round. Thanks!

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Billy decides that if he cannot attack the monsters it is better that he not get hit. Shifting to a defensive stance he surveys the battle field. Seeing that Goswin is a bit pressed Billy starts shifting that direction to help him out if needed.
OOC Comments
Defend action: +4 Parry (now 11), can still move.
Heroic HInderance: Moving out of melee with xombie to close with Goswin.
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

The Xombie nearest @Billy takes a swing at him as he withdraws, but misses.
Fighting 6

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night

Dazzle was still distracted, still trying to stabilize her HUD. She looked up to see two of the shambling people charging at her. “Um, yeah, that’ll do a lot of good,” she muttered, ignoring them and continuing her work. They couldn’t hurt her in her power armor. But damn, if they didn’t do a number on Goswin! She had to think how she was going to help. She couldn’t just step on them, if they wanted them alive.

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
[url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4265#p57683
Character Information[/url]]
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 3/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Squidge wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:58 pm
Stop those under your control from attacking anyone.

Out loud Squidge shouted, "I have her! She's going to tell them to stop! I can't hold her for long though, so we need a plan!"
I wonder if those things are smart enough to understand what she just said...Sis thinks, as she turns her attention to the Xombie(s) headed toward Squidge. Protecting her just became priority number one.
Havoc

Havoc [dice:28y7gvp6]65379:0[/dice:28y7gvp6]
Ace! [dice:28y7gvp6]65379:2[/dice:28y7gvp6]
Wild [dice:28y7gvp6]65379:1[/dice:28y7gvp6]

-4 ISP (2 +1 for strong +1 for Selective)

Distance [dice:28y7gvp6]65379:3[/dice:28y7gvp6]
Sis reaches out and siphons some excess arcane energy from Goswin's elemental abilities. She pulls it toward the space between Squidge and the Xombies and mixes it it with her own negative energies in just the right ratios to create a violent concussive blast. With a little extra effort, she shapes the charge so the blast doesn't affect Squidge.

"Elf boy made it sound like that woman held these things back when her life was threatened. I'm guessing she only made this move because we distracted him." Sis pauses for a second and adds, "Any way we can make her life dependent on our own survival? A poison that needs an andidote mixed and administered, a contraption that requires a passcode every few hours or it kills her...something like that?"

Any Xombies approaching squidge (within an MBT of the closest Xombie), is distracted and makes a Strength roll at -6 (Distracted, Strong, and raise) or is thrown 10" away from Squidge
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Response!

The D’Norr Xombie girl nearest Squidge is immediately lifted and thrown away by the fierceness of Sis’s attack, landing in a crumpled heap but somehow looking no worse for the wear. One of the three Xombies rushing towards Dazzle is similarly picked up and thrown, knocking into a tree and landing on her back. As with her D’Norr companion, she seems unfazed.

Action Cards
  • Hedge 7C
  • Sis JH
  • Dazzle (Quick) KC
  • Squidge 5D
  • Castle 10H
  • Billy (Quick) 3C, redraw AC
  • Vincent 4H
  • Goswin 6D
  • Harvester 5S
  • Xombies 5C
  • Psi-Warrior will go with the last of the heroes

Squidge and Vincent are the only ones who go after the bad guys. If either of you would like to spend a benny on a new Action Card to try and go beforehand, you may do so. Otherwise, everyone else may post in whatever order they choose.

Remember, the Harvester will issue her order on her turn, and you do have the option to go on hold or take the Defend action if you would prefer to do that rather than fight the Xombies.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Per the Hangout, Vincent has chosen to spend a Benny and so gets a new Action Card! KS

Vincent's Monster Slayer ability would let him know that dispel could work on the xombies, but only temporarily, as the Xombies are permanently possessed by an other-dimensional being.

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Goswin keeps his eyes on the Xombies and readies his staff to defend himself or protect his allies. He draws the lightning out of his staff once more and prepares to unleash the fury of the elements.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Billy continues to stand in defense of Goswin waiting for the harvester to command the xombies to back down.
OOC Comments
Going on hold.
Parry: 11
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Hedge let's out an exaggerated sigh as the situation devices. His cigarette precariously balanced in his mouth he holds Strider steady, ready to charge and intervene as needed.

"Keep cool. Protect Squidge so she can do her thing. Keep them at bay."

(Hold)
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Grab Squidge (I don't know if this is necessary, if she allows it) 3
-2 MAP
Athletics [dice:288l13a0]65679:0[/dice:288l13a0]
Wild [dice:288l13a0]65679:1[/dice:288l13a0]
Grab Harvester (I don't know if this is necessary, if she allows it) 1
-2 MAP, -2 off hand
Athletics [dice:288l13a0]65679:2[/dice:288l13a0]
Wild [dice:288l13a0]65679:3[/dice:288l13a0]
Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night
Round 2

“I gotcha, Squidge!” Dazzle called over her PA system. She popped in some tunes for the fight.

Eye of the Tiger

Reaching out with her hands, she attempted to pick up Squidge and the Harvester to lift them safely out of the way of the zombies. She would put them safely up on her shoulders.

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
[url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4265#p57683
Character Information[/url]]
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 3/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Pistol in one hand and Vibro-knife in the other, Sis is happy to see Squidge lifted to relative safety. For her part, though doing so goes against every fiber of her being, Sis waits. She knows that, with enough time, Squidge will have the Xombies in control through this harvester woman.

What we do then...Well, we'll have at least a few minutes to figure that out...
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

Castle while keeping his hovercycle above the foray decides to search his Organizations databanks, the most current update having uploaded to his personal computer.

Investigator +2
Research (1d10) [dice:2z3737i0]65916:0[/dice:2z3737i0]
Wild (1d6) [dice:2z3737i0]65916:1[/dice:2z3737i0]

Castle begins searching through the files on Nyxla and xombies and harvesters looking for details regarding freeing a captured individual.

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Once she is able to, the Harvester cries out Wait! and the Xombies go suddenly still. Not wasting a moment, Tessaric picks up her chain again and places his psi-blade on her neck.

”Do that again, and I will relieve you of your tongue. Nod if you understand.”

The woman nods, tears in her eyes, and Tessaric hauls her up to her feet. ”Now, gather them back in.”

She gives the order and the Xombies slowly amble back to her, falling in behind her.

To the team, Tessaric says, “Thank you. As you can see, I need to get this one back to Psyscape as soon as I can. But tell me, why are you here?”

@Sgt 86Delta you know there is a complicated ceremony required to save someone from possession by nxla, and you would even recognize many of the words and sigils involved. The ceremony is rumored to be possible only in certain places, and Psyscape is one of those places.

You are now out of combat and may respond. Tessaric’s view towards you has vastly improved and he is now helpful.

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

"Well, like I tried to tell you earlier, we came to the Magic Zone on a mission of our own when we came across you and your charges. It seemed like you, or she honestly, might be in a bad way. We're not above offering aid someone in need, so we stopped to help. That's when the situation turned nasty, quick." Goswin says as he motions towards his teammates, "I can't speak for the 32nd, but I would like to help you if we can. Is this Psyscape nearby? I grew up in the Magic Zone, but I'm not familiar with this place."

Goswin looks at @Squidge and then back at Tessaric, "If your homeland welcomes strangers and is nearby, may even be able to escort you."
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

Goswin Aigner wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:27 pm
"Well, like I tried to tell you earlier, we came to the Magic Zone on a mission of our own when we came across you and your charges. It seemed like you, or she honestly, might be in a bad way. We're not above offering aid someone in need, so we stopped to help. That's when the situation turned nasty, quick." Goswin says as he motions towards his teammates, "I can't speak for the 32nd, but I would like to help you if we can. Is this Psyscape nearby? I grew up in the Magic Zone, but I'm not familiar with this place."

Goswin looks at @Squidge and then back at Tessaric, "If your homeland welcomes strangers and is nearby, may even be able to escort you."
Tessaric shakes his head. "No, you would not be familiar with us. Psyscape is the City of the Minds Eye; it exists neither here nor there, and can only be found by those who know the way. I know that sounds like some hokey mysticism crap, but it's true in this case. As for distance, you are Tomorrow Legion, one of you said? That's where, near Kingsdale, right? My home is certainly much closer than that. From here, we are only days away."

He looks to Hedge and to Squidge, and continues, "As for it being welcoming of outsiders, that depends entirely on the outsiders. You have been a great help to me and my mission here today; if you would like to accompany me, I would welcome it. But I understand duty and can manage well enough on my own, as it sounds like you have an assignment here, too."

Decisions, Decisions!

What does the party want to do from here? Accompany Tessaric and his charges to Psyscape? Press on in search of the Orb of Mist before the forces of the True Federation find it? Or split up and try and do everything at once? Please respond in character and come to a decision on what the party would like to do.

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

"My information says that Psyscape has the best chances of reclaiming the 'Harvested' "

"Might also be a good place for us to gather information. Maybe trade information. Then get back to task."

Castle continues to hover in place on his hovercycle.

"Tessaric, how did you find out about this Harvester?"

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Pursuit »

White Castle wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:19 am
"My information says that Psyscape has the best chances of reclaiming the 'Harvested' "

"Tessaric, how did you find out about this Harvester?"


The elf warrior replies, "This is what we do. We hunt Harvesters wherever they are found, and we bring them to justice or to the grave. More than that, I won't say in front of the enemy." With that last line, he throws the manacled woman a glare.

User avatar
Billy
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Billy »

Bily looks back and forth among the leader types. "Well, more information is always good. And once we whatever it takes to gets these things back their souls I can shoot the harvester and be happy. I say we go to Psyscape and do things."
Billy Kid
Parry: 7
Toughness: 12(5)
Size: +1

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Grunting slightly at Billy's desire to gun down a captive, even a Harvester, Hedge otherwise keeps his opinions to himself. There would be time for that sort of moral showdown later. Besides, a no small part of the cyberknight agrees with the gunman.

"I haven't been to psyscape in a while, not sure I want to go back after last time." Hedge takes a long draw of his cigarette before continuing, "But my own crap aside, we owe the people locked in there a chance at freedom. There are also seers in Psyscape that might help us find our target - if we can discern their hokey BS clues."

Hedge gives a nod to Tessaric, "You'll put in a good word for us I hope."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Dazzle
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:50 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Dazzle »

Ohio Valley Magic Zone/Wilderness
Night
Round 2

“You comfortable up there, Squidgy?” Dazzle asked her teammate perched up on her shoulder. “We’re so close to the Orb, guys. We really should go to Gatestown and check out our lead. If it isn’t there, we can maybe go to Psyscape for information and repairs. I don’t want to explain to the brass why we just bailed on our mission.”

***

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: remove the +2 Notice bonus from the armor. Repair -2, 5 hours to fix, 20% repair cost.
[url=https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=232&t=4265#p57683
Character Information[/url]]
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 3/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d4
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Sis is torn by the situation at hand. She doesn't like having to think too hard about decisions. She usually prefers to act and let the consequences sort themselves out rather than worry to much about them.

"Dazzle's right...we were sent here on a mission. We need to see that through. We are SET, not a COT. And that orb could provide a huge military advantage for the Legion. But..." Sis glances toward the Xombies, now at least partially understanding their not quite undead state.

"Being a slave to great evil is not something I would wish on my worst enemies. I would like to see them freed. Tesseric seems capable but... everyone needs to sleep, and without a companion to keep a knife at this ones throat" Sis pokes a thumb in the direction of the Harvester, "He won't be able to get any. Someone should go with him. Maybe we should split up and meet at Gatestown in a few days?"

While the the other's debate what to do, Sis approaches the elf. "Sorry about earlier with the sword. You seemed about to kill a captive, and we didn't know what was going on yet. Seemed the safest course of action at the time. If I had known...anyway, its good that your will is strong, or that could have gone a lot worse with you unarmed."
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

"Psyscape? Mmm, that sounds, interesting. However, I really think we need to focus on this Orb of Mist. From what we were told, it's very important that we capture it. Do we want to break into groups, or is it better if we all stick together?"
He carefully slowly puts the bow string back to where it was without releasing it.

User avatar
Hedge
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Hedge »

Sighing deeply, Hedge is torn. The mission and his life's vocation.

At least things are starting off well.

"The Legion cares about people more than military advantage. No one there would get after us for aiding the innocent victims here. I also believe the seers may help find this Orb of Mists. My vow to serve my home is tearing me up here." Sighing he looks to Tessaric, "Can you signal for help. We can wait with you until it shows up then do our thing. If you can call home, maybe ask them if they ever heard of the Orb of Mists."
Victor "Hedge" Agathon (Cyber Knight)
Bennies 3/3

User avatar
Vincent
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:29 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Vincent »

"I think it's really important that at least some of us search for the orb. We wouldn't want it to fall into the wrong hands, would we? How far away is this slyscape place anyways?"

User avatar
White Castle
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:13 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by White Castle »

Castle looks through his notes.

"To be quite honest, we were never given a specific reason why Gatestown."

"What is the significance of Gatestown to Nxla and the Dark Harvest?"

As the looks come his direction, "Frankly we don't even know if the Orb was ever there, much less if it was there, if it is still there."

@Pursuit "Tessaric, no offense but you got your hands full and I worry about your safety."

"Folks, we are talking about Psyscape, a location that few get a chance to enter. Not only that, but they have been hunting Harvesters and Xombies with incredible success. Maybe, just maybe they have some details on the Orb of Mist that we could use to better locate it."

"The Orb of Mist, is no Golden Goose. It leaves no trail. There are no Golden eggs and those effected by it are, less likely to freely talk to us, if and when we encounter them."

User avatar
Squidge
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:16 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Squidge »

Squidge nods.

"I'm going to help with this mission, but my duty to Psyscape has to come first. These souls are in agony, and they're strengthening the Devourer. We have to get them back. While the ritual to do it is in progress, we'll have time to follow up on the Orb...and there's a lot of people we can get help from in Psyscape. Divinations, informants, contacts...it wouldn't be a waste of our time."

User avatar
Goswin Aigner
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Goswin Aigner »

The 32nd argues back and forth about what they should do, and Goswin waits patiently for them to come to a decision. He decides to speak up as the argument continues, "I agreed to join the Tomorrow Legion and further its agenda, so I will of course go with whatever course of action the 32nd takes. However, if we decide to split up, I could go with those who journey to Psyscape. I know the wild places of the Magic Zone quite well, so I should be able to guide them to whichever rendezvous point we decide upon once we've seen Tessaric and his charges safely to Psyscape."
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Sis
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 am

Re: Chapter 1: The Dark Harvest

Post by Sis »

Squidge wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:48 pm
Squidge nods.

"I'm going to help with this mission, but my duty to Psyscape has to come first. These souls are in agony, and they're strengthening the Devourer. We have to get them back. While the ritual to do it is in progress, we'll have time to follow up on the Orb...and there's a lot of people we can get help from in Psyscape. Divinations, informants, contacts...it wouldn't be a waste of our time."
Hedge wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:37 pm


"The Legion cares about people more than military advantage. No one there would get after us for aiding the innocent victims here. I also believe the seers may help find this Orb of Mists. My vow to serve my home is tearing me up here." Sighing he looks to Tessaric, "Can you signal for help. We can wait with you until it shows up then do our thing. If you can call home, maybe ask them if they ever heard of the Orb of Mists."
Sis nod's as everyone makes their case responding with her thoughts to each.

"I agree. We can't leave Tessaric to escort these to Psyscape on his own, and we certainly can't leave these pour souls to suffer. But I doubt it will be so dangerous that it will require all of us to escort him. And from what's been said, it sounds like saving these Xombies is what this Psyscape place does, so I doubt we would be much help once we arrived. How about a small team of us, maybe Me, Dazzle and Vincent, head to Gatestown just in case there is some lead on the orb that might dry up in the next day or so and the rest of you meet us there after visiting Psyscape and collecting intel? Sounds like we wouldn't be able to find the Psyscape place, so you'd have to meet us."
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 4/3
+1 for Character sheet review


Conviction: Yes

ISP: 15/20
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
ISP: 20/20
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (7)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature

Post Reply

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”