23. Epilogue

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Pursuit
Game Master

23. Epilogue

Post by Pursuit »

One week has passed since the Battle of Jungle Castle. The team is back at Avanzada Seca and preparing their next move. Word has arrived from Castle Refuge that the SET is to return for debriefing and possible re-assignment. For now, at least, the 32nd's adventure is over.

This is your opportunity to write up a final, wrap-up interlude for your character; it's a chance to say goodbye. Nothing here is mandatory, but anyone who completes an interlude will gain a Conviction token for their new character in the Psyscape/Dark Harvest campaign.

You may write about your return to Refuge, your decision to leave the Legion and strike out on your own, or anything else you can think of. Whether you go out on a happy or dark note is entirely up to you. Either way, it has been fun being your GM for this game, and I am looking forward to our next adventure!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 6/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Sierra Mackenzie

Re: 23. Epilogue

Post by Sierra Mackenzie »

Avanzada Seca
Night
Hot, humid, buggy
Round 0

Sierra felt a lot better after incinerating the wreckage of the Mountaineer with Conrad and Jameson inside. Fire purified, right? That meant she’d sent them to a better place, right? Her broken mind dealt with the death she caused in simplicities.

It still didn’t stop her from spending the next week as high and drunk as possible, lying naked in bed in Lincoln’s house. She didn’t even hear the door open or pay attention to the man who walked into the room.

Her vision less than focused, Sierra made out red hair and handsome features. The man sighed and made a sound of disappointment.

“This is not the destiny I had for you, my child,” said the familiar voice from her dreams. He draped a sheet over her, which promptly started to smoke. She kicked it off. “Too hot.”

“Yes, you are not caring for yourself, my child. You will burn the house down.” He touched her and siphoned the heat away. “People are coming. You must go with them, back to your Legion. But soon we will be together,” he said.

And then he was gone, like a dream.

Sierra wasn’t sure how much time had passed before more people were in the house. She heard a bit of an argument in the doorway, a familiar male voice and an unfamiliar female one, and then the door closed and someone walked over to the bed.

Bonjour, mon ami, the woman spoke.

Sierra turned over and saw a halo of red hair around a beautiful face. She smiled. “Well, hello there,” she mumbled through her stupor.

The woman shook her head. “My name is Michelle. I know a friend of yours. He is outside,” she said in a Quebecois accent. “We are here to take you back to the Castle.”

“Tell ‘im t’ come an’ join us,” Sierra slurred, groping at the woman.

She easily brushed Sierra’s hands aside. “Maybe when you are sober,” she said with a patient smile. “First you must dress.”

With patience and care, the stranger Michelle helped Sierra into the fireproof clothes Deezy had made for her, and they stepped out into the living room where a handsome man waited.

“Jude?” Sierra murmured, surprised to see the man who had saved her here to rescue her again. He looked as hot as ever.

“Hello, Sierra. Good to see you again. Let’s get some coffee in you. I need you and your talents. I’m putting together a team.”

Sierra nodded, even though she only really comprehended half of that. “Let me just throw up first.”

Jude gestured for the door and Sierra rushed outside.
Everything Burns
[dice:pk4l2ux9]64063:0[/dice:pk4l2ux9]
3-10: Anything highly flammable burns.
6-10: Anything flammable burns.
8-9: Water boils away over [dice:pk4l2ux9]64063:1[/dice:pk4l2ux9] rounds.
10: Anything not flammable burns or melts (metal, stone, ceramic, etc) and water superheats and evaporates immediately.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (6)
Encumbrance: 22/28
Battle Hardened (armor): +2 to Soak
Combat Reflexes (armor): +2 to Unshake
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Improved Nerves of Steel (armor): Ignore 2 points of Wound penalties
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 14 (6), ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
Respect: +2 Charisma bonus when dealing with residents of Avanzada Seca
SLOOT Suit: Armor can become transparent.
ISP: 40/40
Bennies: 0/3
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(6)
Encumbrance: 25/28
Battle Hardened (armor): +2 to Soak
Combat Reflexes (armor): +2 to Unshake
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Improved Nerves of Steel (armor): Ignore 2 points of Wound penalties
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
Respect: +2 Charisma bonus when dealing with residents of Avanzada Seca
SLOOT Suit: Armor can become transparent.
ISP: 35/40 (5 locked for armor)
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Norona

Post by Norona »

In the days following their victory of the shadow beast, Norona is more stoic than usual. He quietly listens to everyone else, puts up Sierra's antics, and just soaks in the general good nature of the group. When word comes back to return to the Legion he gathers the group together, "I will not be able to join you when you return. I made a trade with the spirit of this swamp in exchange for the power needed to defeat our enemies, I agreed to be the champion of these lands. I cannot leave their borders. I will accompany you to the edges of the swap, every creature, tree, and vine will bid you fanfare and farewell, for it is well earned."

He pauses a moment, before finishing with a sad voice "As you know, Conrad and I were the last remaining members of the team that set out from Refuge. It seems fitting that we should both remain here forever more."
Deezy Klatta
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Deezy Klatta »

Deezy's 'mobile headquarters,' the refurbished Mark 9 APC, limped back to town and found its way to the garage of the building that Deezy had 'inherited' to make her workshop in. There she set about composing her final mission report. When it was done, she brought it to Kukiku. When she gave the datapad to him, she also handed in her Tomorrow Legion credentials.

"So," she said, rocking forward and back between the balls of her feet and her heels. "Here's the thing. I'm...about ready to get this thing going. My company I mean. Klattatech."

Kukiku nodded. "Repairs on the APC going well?"

The grin on Deezy's face was as wide as ever, but she shook her head. "Hardly touched it. I've...been busy."

"Oh? A new project?"

Abruptly Deezy held her hand out. "Come on," she said. "I wanna show you."

The two ventured out, and Deezy led them to the edge of town. "It's just about ready to move for the first time. I had to do the conversion and basic repairs in the field so they took forever...but once you see it, you'll get it." She trotted a few steps farther away and triggered her jetpack, quickly rocketing out of sight over the swamp...though Kukiku noted her descending not too far away.

A few minutes later there was the sound of some kind of engine starting. A turbine of some kind. Then a rhythmic thudding. Like a heartbeat.

Or, he realized, footsteps.

The towering willows parted as a discolored, corroded metallic form pushed through them. A massive one. Kukiku recognized it after a second of tensed muscles. An old Northern Gun Behemoth robot vehicle. By the looks of it, it had been out here for quite awhile.

The machine stomped to a halt and the door on its side slid open. Deezy appeared inside and waved down. The thing was huge; big enough to drive that APC right into if it hunkered down to ground level.

"It's cool, right?!" she yelled. "Mobile Headquarters Mark 2! Or, as I call it...the Great Metal BEAST!"

Kukiku spread his arms helplessly. What was there to say? "How did you...where did you...?"

"After I got the Mark 9 up and running, it pinged a local radiation source...you know they have those sensors...and I marked the location to follow up on. I went and found it just before we went after the old ruins, but it was really far gone, I couldn't get it up and running in time to help. Besides, these Behemoths don't pack much in the way of weapons! Anyway, once I yanked the old reactor out, fitted it up with a PPE conversion battery and got the metal fatigue and major corrosion fixed up...BOOM! New ride!"

With a couple of puffs from her jetpack, Deezy descended to stand in front of her commanding officer. "There's still a lot of work to do, but the old science bay will give me enough space to have a full service workshop...something big enough to do vehicles, power armor, even small scale manufacturing. It can carry a BUNCH of people too, so I can have a full staff. It's literally a mobile headquarters. It makes the APC look like a bicycle pub. I'm gonna use it for parts, maybe take some of the guns and move 'em over."

Finally she wound down and added, "...but I can't really do that AND be on missions, you know? Don't worry though! Tomorrow Legion gets a discount whenever I stop on by. And I could be available for contract work too, if you guys really need me."

The cyberknight extended his hand, and Deezy enthusiastically pumped it. "I'll let the Legion know. It's been an honor working with you."

Deezy beamed. "You too, pal. Hey, if you see anyone else from the squad, let 'em know there's a party at my place tonight!" She pointed at the towering Behemoth. "Imma find as many as I can, but you know how they like to scatter!"

Then, with a 'thumbs up' gesture and a growl of rocket engines, she was gone...hurtling back over the town who's peace was bought at great cost, to spread the word.
OOC Comments
Player Name: Salmon Max
Google Handle: samminmax@gmail.com

Character Name: [urk=http://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php ... =167#p1803]Dorothy Zane “DZ” Klatta[/url]
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Techno-Wizard
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d10, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Charisma: -1; Pace: 6; Parry: 4; Toughness: 12 (6); PPE: 20
Skills:
Knowledge: Arcana d10
Knowledge: Engineering d10 (+1)
Knowledge: Science d6
Knowledge: Electronics d10 (+1)
Repair d10 (+2 Edge, +4 armor (inc TW bonus))
Investigate d6 (+2)
Techno-Wizardry d10
Fighting
Notice
Shooting d6 (+3 w/revolver)

Hindrances
Overconfident (Major): Never give up...NEVER SURRENDER!
Greedy (Minor): Building something like this is going to take a load of bread to capitalize...where’m I gonna get the money?!
Habit (Minor): Too hyperactive!

Edges
Edge: Master of Magic (mega-magic ENGAGE)
Edge: Extra PPE (+5 PPE)
Edge: Mr Fixit (+2 Repair, halve time required on raise)
Edge: Investigator (+2 to Investigate, Streetwise, and Notice to sort through evidence)
Edge: Improved Recharge (recover 1 PPE/.5 hour)

Gizmos (spells):
AEGIS (Active ElectroGravitational Interception System)
Armor (2PPE, +2 armor/+4 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Greater Armor (5PPE, +5 MDC armor/+10 on raise, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Omniblaster
Bolt (1PPE/2d6 missile (up to 3), 2PPE/3d6 missile, 12/24/48)
Onslaught (2PPE/3d6MD missile (up to 4), 4PPE/6d6MD missile, 18/36/72)

TIAMAT (Thaumic Imaging And Magical Ambiance Testing)
Detect/Conceal Arcana (2PPE, sense supernatural creatures, objects or effects)
Exalted Detect/Conceal Arcana (4PPE, gain more info, 2PPE to analyze creature)

ROCKET BOOTS (No acronym; just rockets in boots)
Flight (3PPE, fly at Pace; 6PPE, 2x Pace, duration 3 (+1/rnd), touch)
Swift Flight (8PPE, 4x Pace and -1 to be hit; 10PPE 8x Pace and -2 to be hit, duration 3 (+1/rnd) touch)

Gear
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic
Armor 6, +1 Toughness, Full environment, 18lbs
Laser Torch, 3d6MD, RoF 1, AP 3, 4/8/16
Extensible Manipulator: Reach 1, Str 1d6, 1d6+1d4 dmg in melee w/laser finger
Optical Enhancements; 10x mag, thermal vision, spectrographic scanner, +2 Repair
10 mile communication, nightvision, loudspeaker, laser rangefinder

TW Revolver
2d6+2 dmg, RoF 1, AP 4, 6 shots, 12/24/48
+1 Shooting skill (Minor TW Augmentation)
2PPE to charge, 2PPE to make Mega-damage

TechnoWizard Specialized Toolkit
I use it for techno things that also involve wizardry.

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations

Credits: 2000
Toshiro 'Cybermonk'

Post by Toshiro 'Cybermonk' »

Toshiro stands staring at the small hole in ground he had finished digging...well it must have been 15 minutes ago. It's small, just about a foot across and a few feet wide, and barely a foot or so deep. Toshiro idly spins the wrench in is right hand as he stares into the small hole like looking into the pit of Hell itself.

The wrench is - was - Conrad's. Toshiro had, after much gesturing, asked Conrad to borrow the unusual size as he did some tune ups to the ATV. Exhausted at the end of a the long day, Toshiro had absent mindedly thrown it in his own toolbox with the rest of his own gear. Odd, to think that Toshiro's last real interaction with the grackle had been unintentionally stealing something from him. Well, he hadn't stolen in it really, but there was no way to give it back now was there?

That's what the hole was for. Toshiro had heard that Castle's shaman friend had planned some sort of ritual to give everyone a chance to say goodbye to Conrad and Jameson in person. Toshiro had declined, feeling a bit of an intruder, considering the relatively short amount of time Toshiro had known the fellow mechanic compared to the rest of the team. Besides, he was confident that disruptive affect his person had on magical spells would probably prevent him from being able to participate anyway. Better to decline than make someone ask him to leave.

So he had prepared his own fair-well. A burial ceremony with the only thing left of the grackle that he had access to... a wrench.

Toshiro squats down, staring again in the shallow "grave". He places the wrench in the hole and, in a single sweep of his arm, fills the hole with the displaced dirt he had piled beside it.

It was crappy way to say goodbye... returning a stolen tool. Well, Toshiro couldn't really "say" goodbye now could he?

And that's what has really been on his mind. That's the thought that he's chewed on over and over and he stared sightlessly in to an empty hole in the ground. It had been 3 years since the Caravan had been attacked by that psionic monster. 3 years since, cowering beside his sister, he had been unable to stifle a yelp of surprise at the monstrous spider crawling up his leg. 3 years since they had been found as a result and Toshiro had, under the control of that creature that calls himself "The Collector", killed his own sister. 3 years since he had last made a sound.

Many others had died in that time. No effort of Toshiro's had prevented that, though none had been particularly close to him. And now Conrad was dead. No vow of silence had saved him. The fact was, there was evil in the world, and sometime there was nothing you could do to stop it.

Toshiro swallows hard, feeling a lump rise in his throat. The saliva wets his unused vocal chords - still in good functional condition thanks to his internal Nano-repair system. He lays his right hand on the slight mount of dirt over the spot where the wrench is buried, and with eyes closed whispers in a soft baritone, "Fairwell, Chummer".

Two days later, while returning from the local grocery store with supplies, a Red Kite swoops down and lands on Toshiro's shoulder. Unphased by the event, but clearly excited as though he had been expecting this for a long time, Toshiro holds out a hand for the small roll of paper held in the kite's beak. As it drops the paper into Toshiro's hand, it dissolves in a flash of smoke - again leaving Toshiro completely unsurprised.

He unrolls the paper and reads a simple message.

He's in the Magic zone. Psyscape.

Toshiro grins has he rolls the paper back up and tucks it in his pocket.

He bee-lines for Kuikku's as he hears the voice of Retribution ring in his hears.

Ah... the voice says, a clear tone of excitement in it despite it not actually being audible... Finally. Thoughts of righteous vengeance. Well let's not waste any time now, shall we?
OOC Comments
Toshiro's Character Sheet
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; [/size]

Parry: 5 (+4 from chip and sword)[/size]
Toughness: 23(12 MDC)[/size]
Active Effects
Chips: +3DT Fighting +1DT Electronics
Sword: +2 DT Fighting, Absorption (Metal and Kinetic), +2 DT Strength [/size]

Notable Edges: Woodsman, Quick, Brawny, I know a Guy, Nerves of Steel, Danger Sense, Improved Arcane Resistance, Ace, Combat Ace, Elan[/size]

Bennies: 1/3 [/size]
-1 for shooting reroll
+1 for commiting near suicide (being outside the vehicle)
-2 for agility rerolls

Edit Signature
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle really wasn't part of the team. The Legion had contracted his services. Guess someone knew he was in the Dino Swamps and that he was looking for the Jungle Castle.

Just because he was contracted did not mean that he did not feel the loss of @Conrad and Jameson.

He had let the 32nd leave for their base of operations while he continued to scout around and investigate the old ruined castle among a number of other interesting finds. He took photos, made diagrams and sketches, and even found a few trinkets that were portable. He noted geological and geographical information with every discovery. Castle was certain that the exploration of this area would take several months, but he was also assured that the fact that it was submerged under several feet of water would keep looters out for a while.

It was at the end of the week that Castle was approached by @Pahi Oki.

Pahi Oki's tribal language was a mix of Spanish and Creole and Castle understood him well enough that Pahi Oki spoke in his native tongue.

Pahi Oki: "The Spirit of the Swamp is still and at peace."

Castle: "Well that is a good thing, right?"

Pahi Oki: "Yes. Yes it is a good thing. Have you found what you seek here?"

Castle: "Yes and No. Found the Jungle Castle, yes. Explored the entirety, no."

Pahi Oki: "The Castle and its secrets will still be here. The Swamp Father has promised to keep the place as it is, maybe with a bit more water." Pahi Oki smiles at his joke, something he has learned to do while with Castle.

Castle shows no change in emotion or feeling.

Pahi Oki: "The Swamp Father has told me that there are other spirits that seek my help. Also that the one known as @Norona, Brother to the Swamp, has elected to stay behind from the 32nd."

Castle nods in some form of understanding.

Pahi Oki: "I am to take Norona's place, at least in your return of the 32nd to this Refuge. Castle Refuge."

Castle: "I am not part of the Tomorrow Legion. Or the 32nd for that matter."

Pahi Oki: "But they need you and they have a place for you. You must go with me to Refuge."

Castle was about to curse but thought better of it and held his tongue.

Castle: "If we are to go to Refuge we best catch up to the 32nd before they leave the Swamps entirely."

The pair arrive in Avanzada Seca a little bit before the 32nd is set to depart for Refuge.

Pahi Oki goes and finds Norona. Castle is approached by a Legion Liason Officer and handed a hand written message.
Message from Refuge wrote: Your presence is requested in Refuge. We have further need of your services.
Kuikku

Post by Kuikku »

As Kuikku walks along one of Castle Refuge's many corridors it is obvious his thoughts are far away. Even though is journey with the 32nd was relatively short it is something he will never forget. It felt odd to have left so many he called friends in that swamp. A few stayed of their own choice but a few would never travel further. He considered leaving the Legion when he got back. There were many things he wanted to do that may or may not align with how they did things.

It was on the last day of travel when he finally understood what Peter was talking about. “Pair of shoes” almost had to be Baton Rouge. Combined with some of the other information he had found it was as good a place to start looking as any other.

And now he was leaving his debrief of events in the swamp. To his surprise and delight his request to go look for Peter had not only been approved he was being assigned to another SET that was heading down there as well. The primary mission was not to find Peter but it was going to be a secondary objective.

Considering how many “secondary” objectives the 32nd completed things were looking good for finding Peter and finally freeing him. Pausing for just a moment Kuikku draws a deep breath and lets it out slowly. I consider this a good omen. He then opens the door to the 23rd SET office.
Character
Kuikku
Parry: 8
Toughness: 14(6)
Toughness with Cyber-Armor active: 20(8) MDC
Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

With nowhere to go once his mother passed, Goswin asked the elementals to lead him somewhere he was needed. Requiring little more than his robes and staff, Goswin set out immediately after burying his mother. The journey to castle refuge took weeks, but it was largely uneventful.

He thought he had passed many wonders on the way to the castle, but nothing prepared Goswin for his arrival. Dragons, wonderful and enormous metal men, and so many different species all gathered together in one place! Add onto that all of the the myriad wonders of technical and magical technology found at Castle Refuge. Goswin stood slack-jawed for a good half hour once he arrived at the castle.

Slowly, Goswin acclimated to the sights around him. He set off for the castle, but unfortunately, Goswin found himself in the marketplace first. Merchants selling all manner of wares called to him, and the first salesman that caught his eye was selling laser weapons. The man let Goswin test fire a Wilk's 227, but it malfunctioned when he first pulled the trigger.

The pistol kept firing even after Goswin released the trigger. Panicking, he strafed the pistol a bit before waving it around in the air. Most of the beams were harmless, but one hit a mirror and reflected the laser towards a merchant hawking grenades and set off a stun grenade. Thankfully, that was rather more harmless than it could have been.

Except the stun grenade startled a great horned dragon who spun around quickly to discover the source of the commotion, swiping many folks and wares with his tail in the process. Goswin set off a chain of events in the marketplace which would require days of repair and untold credits worth of reparations. He was quickly scooped up and rushed to the castle.

Goswin was quickly cleared of any wrongdoing, but he was nevertheless banned from the marketplace. He explained that he had come to Castle Refuge to help folks, and he would even be willing to join their forces to pay for the damages he caused. He would soon be accepted into the Legion and introduced to the 32nd.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Marksman: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed; or add +1 to first Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll. Character may not move or fire greater than RoF 1.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 0/30; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”