Chapter 3: Cloaks, Daggers, and Psychics

Adventures of the Legion's 32nd Special Exploratory Team.
Pursuit
Game Master

Chapter 3: Cloaks, Daggers, and Psychics

Post by Pursuit »

Bizarre Bazaar
It’s an empty, nondescript looking stall in what is an otherwise outlandish marketplace, where a thousand booths scattered haphazardly throughout the plaza sell everything from textiles to food and drink to household items to objects of immense magical power. Merchants offer city tours, custom suits, physical and spiritual healing, and vehicular repair adjacent to each other without any order or consistency.

The din is both physical and psychic, as merchants shout about the quality of their wares with their voices and, oftentimes, with their minds, too.

It can be difficult to hear yourself think, and it gets even harder as you get close to a little stall under a red and blue awning selling knick-knacks of various levels of kitsch. The buzzing of your own thoughts in your head grows in intensity with every step closer, a hornets’ nest of firing neurons kicked into a frenzy. It would be so much easier to look away, to keep walking, to do anything but get closer to that little stall.

As you try not to look away, a young girl of perhaps ten rushes past you and into the stall, as if to set up behind the counter and start selling. Instead, though, she begins to fade away, slowly disappearing from view, and no one notices. You notice only because you are looking so hard right at her, but the strain makes your eyes ache.

At the last possible moment, she notices you, and her eyes go wide. But before either of you can say anything, she is gone, and the crowd of the bazaar begins to buffet you from behind.

Results of Your Investigation
After several days pass, you are summoned to appear again, this time before Judge Rr Iidu alone. The unassuming D’Norr man gives you a friendly smile and invites you to sit.

”My friends, your presence here in town has caused quite a stir. Quite a stir, indeed. Why, we certainly did not expect to hear of a bright pink glitterboy being paraded around the city when we invited you in! I hope it was not too much trouble, leaving the boom gun behind, yes?”

After some polite chit-chat, he listens very intently to what you all have to report.

Hedge’s information on the disaffected is surprisingly detailed, and Iidu says as much. ”We knew, of course, that there would be some of the citizenry who opposed our current course. There is always opposition in free thought, and this is a city that, in some cases quite literally, is built on free thought. I never would’ve guessed it went so deep, though.”

Billy’s contribution of a location gives you somewhere to narrow your search, and the couple of nuggets Dazzle managed to pick up from passers-by give a bit more direction.

Castle is too taken with the many historical
mysteries the city offers to truly focus on the task at hand, but he does learn that Psyscape has been on earth at least a dozen times in some way, shape or form. Linear time and the Astral Plane make odd bedfellows.

Squidge’s family network puts the icing on the cake, though, and
7 successes prorated for 2 characters not posting is 7/6, or one more than required. Well done!

”It would seem,” says the judge, ”that someone has set up a dimensional door, of sorts, right in our bazaar. The power it must take to create and maintain such a thing is unthinkable, I should think. That must be where Nxla’s minions are hiding, but how they managed it right under our noses is beyond me. Our City Guard and Psi-Warriors are above reproach, of course, but perhaps we could convince you all to dig a little deeper, as they say? Figure out where they’re going and how on earth they are doing it without our notice, and apprehend them if at all possible.”

Drama!
This will be a three-round dramatic task.

In the first round you will have two primary objectives: set a watch on that stall without being caught (surveillance) and figure out how their “dimensional door,” as Iiru called it, works (arcane research).

For the surveillance task, you may roll Stealth, Electronics (for electronic surveillance, natch), Performance to blend in with the crowd and observe unseen, Arcane Skill (if you have a power that would make sense), Notice to keep an eye on things, or another Skill so long as it makes sense. Thanks to whatever it is that’s causing the stall to be hard to focus on, and thanks to the counter surveillance efforts of the stall’s owner, any rolls made on the surveillance task must be made at -2, before any complications. The team may collect up to 4 success tokens at the surveillance task, with each success and raise earning one token.

For the arcane research task, you may roll Arcana, Research, Academics (for history), Arcane Skill (if you have a power that would apply, like detect arcana), or any other skill that makes sense. Because of the lengths the party who set all this up went to, all rolls on the arcane research task must be made at -2, before any complications. The team may collect up to 4 success tokens at the arcane research task, with each success and raise earning one token.

Initiative:
Action Cards:
Hedge: Ace of Hearts
Dazzle (Quick): Five of Clubs
Sis: Eight of Clubs
Billy (Quick): Six of Spades
Castle: Five of Hearts
Vincent: Four of Spades
Goswin: Two of Spades
Squidge: Two of Diamonds

You may post in whatever order you choose. Anyone who got a club has encountered a complication and must make their roll at an additional -2.

Good luck!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
White Castle

Re: Chapter 3: Cloaks, Daggers, and Psychics

Post by White Castle »

Castle had been so distracted with the various Earth architecture scattered throughout The 'Scape that he had not been back to his room. Having finally worn himself out, he staggered back to his room after a three day acrchitecture bender. One could get a lot done with 72 hours. He fell asleep on his bed until someone from the team came and woke him for the meeting with the Judge Rr lidu.

Having been aroused, Castle moved off the bed which creaked just as much as his armor did. He undessed out of his armor and went to the adjoining bathroom and showered. As he was coming out of the bathroom, wrapped in a towel, he noticed that there was something stuck in the subtle creases in his armor. Walking over to the armor he bent down an found a plastic card and a plastiform brochure. Apparently the two had been on his bed when he had returned and had gotten wedged into his armor while he was recovering.

Castle set the card and the brochure on the desk and got himself dressed. Before putting on his armor he set down and looked over the plastic card and the brochure. The card was non-descript and had no markings or writing. No help there.

Setting the card down, he picked up the brochure. The plastiform warmed to his touch and then a message relayed to his mind.
From Judge Iasus wrote: Master Castle, the council feels it best to not reveal your true name. We have provided you this access card for the Academy. As you are not psychic or arcane inclined, this card will provide the appropriate individuals with the necessary biometric identifiers.

The message pauses for a moment, then continues.

This brochure has the listing of all professors and instructors at the Academy. Also included is their lecture schedules. Thanks again for your interest in and service to Psyscape.
Castle's eyes focus on the brochure and he begins filtering through the names of lectures and the speakers. Combing through it, several times, Castle is about to give up on anything of interest, when his eyes settle on the name Doctor Raymond Stantz. Being a New Yorker and having survived several years amongst the ruins of the city before finding the White Castle Organization, Castle knew only one person by that name.

With the current state of New York City, many had brushed off the possibility that anyone was actually capable of catching ghosts. Considered by many to be an urban legend, The Ghostbusters, were in Castle's mind New York's own version of superheroes. Castle even recalled his near mint edition of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghosbusters comic book. That was a serious a score.

Heading to his personal effects, specifically the saddle bags from his hovercycle, Castle codes in the security code on the left bag and unlocks the case. Down in the lower reaches of the case he pulls out a vaccuum and hard plastic sealed container holding his copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Ghosbusters comic book. If this is the same Doctor Stantz, you better believe I am going to that lecture.

Another notification that the team was meeting and he needed to finish getting ready, brought him out of his memories. Quickly suiting up, he stored the comic book in his backpack, slung the back over his shoulders and sealed and locked up the saddle bag case.

After the meeting with Judge Rr lidu, CAstle excused himself as he headed towards the Academy, seriously intent on not missing a minute of Dr. Stantz's lecture. After leaving the team, he broke out into a flat out run, weaving his way between buildings and past Psyscape citizenry.
Last edited by White Castle on Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Squidge

Post by Squidge »

Squidge came from a long line of psionic spies, and keeping an eye on the area was something she was well suited for. Her natural abilities to disappear through walls and even the street under her to move without being seen, to sense people and supernatural effects mentally, and to easily monitor the thoughts or alter the perceptions of people in her vicinity meant it was hard to evade her notice. Even harder, arguably, to realize she was doing it.

Rolls (Surveillance): Psionics 9, 2 bennies spent
Psionics 1d10!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Bleh, forgot the -2...so Benny!
Psionics 1d10!!-2: [3]-2 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Use 'em or lose 'em I guess...
Psionics 1d10!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Wild 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle bounded up the steps of the Academy and was met at the front door by a tall stone man. Stepping away from the wall, the stone statue suddenly became a very life like individual. Not the first time Castle had seen such things, this one did surprise him as it was more life like and real. Not an Automaton this was an Amaki Stone Man. Castle paused for a moment but the Stone Man said nothing. Then Castle remembered the ID card and pulled it from a pocket in his armor, along with the brochure.

The Stone Man touched the plastiform card and paused for a brief moment. Blinking as if suddenly staring into bright sunlight, it steps aside. "The lecture halls are in the right wing past the Atrium." With that it steps back into line with the other entryway sentinels and leaves Castle by himself once more.

Heading forward down a long hallway of stone arches (Castle not having an Arcane Background, sees none of the other adjoining rooms) Castle heads towards the large indoor forest the Stone Man mentioned. It seemed like several minutes of walking (Castle was unfamiliar with Astral space) but Castle found himself at the Atrium in short order.

Being the largest indoor forest/gardens he had ever seen, it again seemed like several minutes for him to find his way right into the right wing of the Academy.

Starting down the hallway, Castle realized that there were no doors or doorways. He hadn't met or come across anyone either. He wondered if someone was trying to get him lost, confused, or frustrated. Honestly he was beginning to feel all of those but he kept walking down the hallway. It was several minutes when he came upon a dooway framed on either side by two large pictures. One picture was of a pre-rifts car with a license plate ECTO 1A. In the back ground could be seen a large white figure behind several tall buildings. On the other side of the door was a shop sign that read Ray's Occult Books. Castle stopped and stared. Unbelieveable.

Castle entered the doorway, quite certain he had found what he had been looking for. The room he entered was small able to comfortably seat twenty in a semi circle around a semi circle platform. There were a few others arleady seated comfortably and Castle quickly found himself a seat.

A figure that Castle assumed was Doctor Stantz arrived and took a place on stage. His lecture was the parapsychological connections between entities and creations of those entities. The Doctor referenced psychic energies related to specific structures and certain entities. He drew the conclusion that the energy infused at a monumental creation could be replicated elsewhere and in other times as long as the exact cunstruction was mirrored. The lecture concluded and the attending guests each met with the Doctor and thanked him for his insights. Castle waited till last.

Doctor Stantz actually looked up and greeted Castle first, "I knew a White Castle once. Fancy little joint for sliders. What can I do for you?"

Castle stutters a bit, "Uh, uh, uh, I always believed you and the Ghosbusters were real. I have seen signs of you throughout the remains of New York."

Stantz smiled, "Our psychic impressions were very strong but you aren't gifted with that kind of sight are you?"

Castle shakes his head, "Living in the ruins of New York I learned to live with the entities that haunted there. They were able to point out things from the past. Your psychic impressions were in a lot places. Lots of old places."

"Me being here is actually many sided. One I am a fan. Two I am in need of some direction. Three I am amazed that you are here."

Pulling out the comic book he shows it to Stantz. "When did you join Psyscape?"

Stantz waves a hand, "That can wait. What kind of direction are you needing?"
Pursuit wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 pm ”It would seem,” says the judge, ”that someone has set up a dimensional door, of sorts, right in our bazaar. The power it must take to create and maintain such a thing is unthinkable, I should think. That must be where Nxla’s minions are hiding, but how they managed it right under our noses is beyond me. Our City Guard and Psi-Warriors are above reproach, of course, but perhaps we could convince you all to dig a little deeper, as they say? Figure out where they’re going and how on earth they are doing it without our notice, and apprehend them if at all possible.”
Stantz nods his head, "
Academics 1d10!!+2: [5]+2 = 7 Wild 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
"
Academics 7, 1 token
Last edited by White Castle on Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

While Castle looks into the books, Hedge uses his inner sight to monitor and learn more about the dimensional door. It's presence is unsettling, both from the way it is hidden in plain sight, but also that it has gone undetected for this long. Scanning the door he tries to take in its aura, as well as watching the auras of anyone who approaches.

Psionics 1d8!! Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[16!!] = 21 16-2=14
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3, Conviction 2/2
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

"Without seeing the structure myself, I would have to guess that it is actually constructed after an earlier time period."

"Say Spice Trade Route, Babylonian, or maybe early Egyptian."

"I am guessing of course but the stall you described would likely fit in any of those eras. It would be plain enough to go unnoticed in the sprawl of the Psyscape bizzare."

Castle stands in Stantz's presence and has to nearly pinch himself at the simplicity of the explanation of the situation.
Falderol Grelemis

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Minus two circumstance
Stealth: 1d8: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6: [6] = 6
Ace: 1d6+6: [2]+6 = 8

Billy spends a little time looking over the area and locates a convenient location where he can observe the comings and goings of the alley way as well as look out for anyone trying to tail him. After a some time he does note a vague pattern to how often people go in or come out but is unsure what to make of it. Instead he just notes it and makes sure to report his findings.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
Sis

Post by Sis »

When she leads the crew from Gatestown into through whatever it is that protect Psyscape from intrusion, the group is quickly surrounded by some very perplexed and very concerned guards.

Luckily, Dazzle manages through their suspicions enough to get them to send a runner to validate their identies, and without much ado, they are admitted into the city.

Sis is less awed than the rest of the party has been, but that is likely due to the fact that her radar's limited range can't express the size and scope of the city to her at all once. Instead she is confined to viewing only 60 feet of the city at a time, which is none-the-less impressive.

While the others are shown their short term quarters, a man in a formal robe whisks Sis away to a large, ornate chamber where Atlanta Iasus stands waiting.

"Ah, there she is." Iasus says, back to Sis as she approaches. "There is no mistaking that...voided of an aura that surrounds you. It's the same that I felt 2 days ago as I was deep in meditation, reaching out in search of some sign of Nyxla' supporters." Iasus turns around and looks at Sis, locking directly onto her vizored eyes. "Instead I felt you, with the unmistakable impression that you would be instrumental in our efforts to stop Nyxla. And then, the very next day, you waltz right on up to Psyscape like we didn't have millennia old wards protecting us from intrusion. Care to explain?"

Sis hesitates a moment unsure of how much to share. But Hedge and Squige were from Psyscape, and that experience with the Orb had led her here, where she knew she needed to be. So she explains it all, the siege at gatestown, experience with the orb and the impression that led her to Psyscape with perfect confidence she could find it.

"Ah, that make sense. Iasus says, though Sis doesnt see how her story would clarify anything. Iasus pauses a moment, pondering something, and Sis stands patiently waiting for him to come to a conclusion on whatever decision he needs to make.

"I'd like to formally invite you to join us here as Psyscape. It won't require you to leave the Legion, but it would require you to make certain pledges of loyalty, but we could train you to...

"No." Sis says, not allowing the Judge to continue under the false hope of swaying her. "I've been a puppet for far to long. I've sworn off my previous masters, and the Legion allows its soldier to serve at their will, requiring no more of their loyalty or service than they are willing to give. My life is my own to do with what I please, and I'll not accept new masters, not matter how benevolent they may be."

If Iasus is shocked, he hides it well. He silently takes in Sis's interruption and, upon her completion, says only, "Very well then. We do demand absolute loyalty of our followers, but will compel none to take up the vow who are not completely willing." Iasus walks past Sis toward the doorway she entered through. As he reaches the doorway he turns to add. "Make no mistake though. You are going to face Nyxla's supporters, and play a crucial roll in end of this. I look forward to seeing how, and hope when that time comes you don't regret refusing my offer"

Sis sets her self up at a small stand a few stalls away from the one where the odd gateway exists. Its a food service one, so it isnt unusual for diners to spend a couple of hours at a table. She orders a meal and pulls out an unusual puzzle game the denizens of Psyscape are fond of. It dates to pre-rifts times, and involves a pattern of squares in which every row column and grouping must all add up to the same number. She has intentionally picked a difficult one, to give her a reason for spending extra time at the table, and wave of anyone's suspicions on her lack of progress on the puzzle.

Instead of dedicating any real thought to the puzzle,
Notice 1d6!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild 1d6!+2: [4]+2 = 6
. She is surprised that even she has a hard time focusing on it, as the disruption seems to be arcane in nature, but the puzzle at least gives her some pretext for appearing to be particularly focused. At least with her radar she doesn't draw attention to herself by starting directly at the stall while she concentrates.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
Bennies: 2/3
-1 for Fear Reroll

Conviction: Yes

ISP: 18/20
-1 armor
-1 smite
Wounds: 0/4
Fatigue: 0/3
Parry: 5
Pace: 6
Toughness: 15 (6)

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:
Alertness: +2 to Notice rolls
Attractive: +1 to Performance and Persuasion
Brave: +2 to Fear checks
Strong Willed: +2 to resist Tests
Command: +1 to alles to unshake

Notable Hindrances:
Bad Rep: (Racial) Uncooperative reaction of known to be altara
Blind (Racial): Can’t read or see purely visual info
Instilled Ignorance (Racial): No core Common Knowledge, plus -2 to CK rolls
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

GM Mini Update:

As the team is observing the stall, you notice that the activity is picking up, and that the people visiting the stall (and often disappearing) seem to be of all walks of life. Urchins and well-dressed business people alike pass you on their way to wherever it is they're going. Perhaps a dozen and a half or so make their way through while you are watching.

You do not seem to have been noticed yet.

Note: The remaining players still have some time to post for the first round of the dramatic task before we head to round two.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Research 9 (Two tokens)
Research Task
Spellcasting (Detect Arcana) 1d12!!-2: [11]-2 = 9
Wild Die 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
A bit exhausted from Gatestown, Vincent makes sure to fuel up on food before looking for something to do. He finds the group working on the research task, and uses Detect Arcana liberally to make sure they are headed down the right path.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Round One Results

The research team of Hedge, White Castle, and Vincent learned something very, very interesting about the stall in question: it is not of your time, nor is it even of your world.

The stall gives off the energies of a darker dimension, though it is subtle. Once Hedge and Vincent become attuned to it, though, it feels similar in nature to a PPE battery, or perhaps even a ley line, though significantly less powerful.

The energy is clearly malevolent and, unsettlingly, sentient. The closest parallel that comes to mind is the Devil’s Gate, but writ much, much smaller. The stall is similar to (but still somehow not) a permanent rift, but one with a door that opens and shuts on command.

None of you, except perhaps Professor Beckman, whom White Castle consulted, have ever seen its like. This must be how Nxla’s followers have been meeting seemingly in plain sight!
Research Task Results
You got all 4 tokens possible, here, and then a couple extras to boot (6 in total). Well done!
As Billy and Squidge take great pains to stay unobserved while keeping an eye on the stall, Sis tries to act nonchalant while playing with a puzzle and tracking the comers and goers with her radar.

Altara are a rare sight in Psyscape, and she attracts more eyes than she accounts for, but it doesn’t seem as if those using the stall have been tipped off to the team’s presence.
Surveillance Task Results
You got 3 of the 4 tokens possible, but were missing two players entirely. I’m prorating your rolls to account for their lack and saying that you were entirely successful.
As the team stakes out the site, a human woman dressed in the uniform you have come to associate with the Psi-Warriors slips quietly into the stall and fades away. Could it be that one of the city’s defenders has defected to the enemy? Or is it possible that this woman has merely beaten you to the punch and is on her way to contend with Nxla’s followers now?

Round Two!

Now that you have sufficiently scouted the site, it’s time to take action!

Anyone who approaches the stall will slowly fade out of existence upon reaching it and reappear in a vast void standing, as it were, on nothing. You don’t fall, and the air is breathable, but it is spooky as all hell, and everyone must make a fear check at -2. If you fail, rather than rolling on the Fear Table, take a level of fatigue that can only be cured by a night of sleep back in your home dimension OR by spending 48 hours in this new dimension. If you crit fail, take two levels of fatigue.
starkiteckt-designs-thedarkdimension.jpg
As you walk, the “air” supports your weight, though it thrashes wildly around Sis wherever she goes. Sometimes, you may step and find that you are climbing what must be invisible stairs, and sometimes your steps take you downwards, but you never seem to fall (though you might stumble).

You come across the bodies of two humanoids, one an elf and one an orc, floating through the void, their throats cut. Other than the death wounds, you see no sign of struggle on either. Each is wearing generic-looking light body armor and carrying mundane but high-tech weapons (black market light armor, vibro-knives and laser pistols, and the orc has a single plasma grenade).

Moving forward, or at least what feels like forward to you, you see in the distance a room. The room looks like a school classroom, and it is set up with rows of desks like you would expect to see in a high school. The desks are occupied by dozens of beings of assorted races; some are adults, some are children, and all are listening intently as a woman dressed in a blue sweater writes on the chalkboard while lecturing.
Teacher.jpg
The words themselves make little sense to most of you, but anyone who speaks demongogian or has the comprehend languages power may make a Language or Arcane Skill roll to decipher it. If you speak gobblely, you may roll that Language at -2 (or -4 if your card is a Club and you have a complication) to get the gist of what is being said.

As you approach the floating classroom, a massive, horned creature with a shark’s maw, a bat’s wings, and wicked looking claws on almost comically long limbs appears in front of you.

In a jarringly high voice, it says, ”That is quite far enough, I think. I don’t know how you got thissss far, but you will go. No. Farther.” Its eyes narrow and it bears its teeth, rushing the party and screeching.

The people in the classroom seem to take no notice.

Action!

This is a straight up combat task. Because of the creature’s fearsome appearance and its comfort-level in this environment, all rolls against it are made at a -2. That said, if your attacks have the holy or silver trapping, you may ignore the -2. For the purposes of this combat, attacks with a Cyber-Knight’s psi-sword or by anyone with the Champion Edge will count as holy. Roll a Combat Skill or Arcane Skill and narrate the results. No need to track ammo or power points for this scene.

Billy (Quick): Ace of Spades
Squidge: Ace of Clubs
Hedge: King of Diamonds
Vincent: Queen of Hearts
Castle: Queen of Clubs
Sis: Seven of Hearts
Dazzle (Quick): Seven of Diamonds
Goswin: Five of Diamonds

Anyone who drew a Club must make their roll at an additional -2 for complications.

The team may amass a total of 8 tokens on this task. You may post in any order you like (the Action Cards were just for determining complications). Good luck, and don’t get eaten!

Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

Fear 7, success
Fear Spirit 1d10!!-2 / 1d6!!-2: [9]-2+[2]-2 = 7
Walking in the open space is confusing, but the acrobatic cyberknight gets the hang of it after a few moments. As they progress he tests the limits of the artifical atmosphere by lighting a cigarette. Puffing along happyily it nearly falls from his mouth when they spot the classroom. The scene is so bizarre it takes him a moment to process. Cigarette hanging limply from his lip. Unable to understand what is being said or written he tries to uses his empathic abilities to get a feel for the room.

As he does he immediately senses a malevolent presence and a creature sweeps in to threaten them. Seeing the beast come toward them Hedge instinctively activates his psi-sword and brandishes it threateningly - cigarette still hanging from hip lips.

"We do not seek violence, but will defend ourselves."

On cue, the creature sweeps in for an attack - moving comfortably in the disorienting surroundings. Hedge barely sidesteps the charge then strikes down hard with his sword landing a satisfying blow sending the thing screeching away. He steadies himself as he readies for it to make another pass giving the others time to get organized.
Fighting
Fighting 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[3] = 7

Benny
Benny Fighting 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [7]+[4] = 11
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Demongogian 1d6!!: [5] = 5 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Gobblely 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Fighting his natural urge to investigate all these anomalies, Castle levels is Particle Beam Rifle at the monstrosity and
Queen of Clubs, an additional -2 Shooting 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Castle's shot goes off, wide of its target, and wildly streaks it way through the Aether.
Last edited by White Castle on Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Persuasion, if needed 8
+1 Glitter Boy, +2 Very attractive, +1 Fame
Persuasion 1d6!!+4: [3]+4 = 7
Wild 1d6!!+4: [4]+4 = 8
Fear check 5
-2 difficulty
Spirit 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Shooting 5; 1 success
+1 3RB
Shooting 1d8!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Wild 1d6!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Benny to reroll
Shooting 1d8!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
Psyscape
Afternoon
Round 0

Dazzle went with the others in front of Judge Rr Iidu with what they had found in the bazaar. Then they were tasked with running surveillance on the booth before initiating an incursion.

Before they left the audience, Dazzle precociously spoke up. “Say, since we’re doing this little thing for you, think we could get some help while we’re working? My armor needs some repairs, and we’ve got a few things we’ve picked up on the way that need fixing, if we could get the parts.”

Dazzle prepared for going through the dimensional gate. Her Glitter Grrl wasn’t going to fit, so she pulled on her pink and purple Mark II Battlefield Light Armor. She holstered her Wilk’s 227 and vibroknife on her hips, and slung her new Wilk’s 447 on her back. She needed to get some extra e-clips for that. Finally, she slung her field repair kit on her back and attached the two frag grenades they had picked up in Gatestown.

Dazzle was a bit surprised and disoriented when they stepped into literally nothing, just blank, black space all around them. She felt her heart rate increase and took several deep breaths to calm herself from the fear. She was standing on...something, at the very least.

They made their way through the space, occasionally finding stairs up and down that they couldn’t see and had to be careful about. They came on an orc and an elf, dead, throats cut. Dazzle took a moment to retrieve their gear. They could hopefully sell and, and the good Lord knew she needed the credits lately with all the trouble she’d been having with the Grrl.

Then came the odd classroom. Dazzle couldn’t understand what the woman was saying, but she didn’t have much time to consider it because that is when the shark-bat-demon thing attacked!

Drawing her pistol, Dazzle quickly laid down fire on the monstrosity, striking it in the flank.

Current: Pace 6, Toughness 11 (5)

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: -2 when using the audio equipment in the armor. Repair -2. 20% cost in parts. (250k)
Current Loadout
Wilk’s 447 Laser Rifle
Wilk’s 227 Laser Pulse Pistol
Vibro-Knife
Mark II Battlefield Light EBA Armor
Field Repair Kit
2 frag grenades
Plasma grenade
Party Loot
Badly damaged Combat Mage Armor (Serious Problem, -2 Repair roll, 4 hours, 50k credits)
Heavy Enchanted Armor (Glitch, Repair -1, 30 minutes)
TW Longsword
Black market light body armor x2
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 3/3
Conviction: Y
Credits: d6 (19,000)
Boom Gun: 100/100; 2 reloads (100 each)
Pistol: 24/24; 2 reloads (24 each)
Rifle: 20/20
Encumbrance: 53/40 (33/40 without pack)
First aid kit: 3/3
Laser Resistant (Armor): Half damage and AP from lasers
Quick: Redraw initiative 5 and under.
Fame: Make double pay with Performance
Hindrances: Impulsive, Driven, Loyal
Squidge

Post by Squidge »

Squidge had no idea what exactly was going on, but it felt like maybe some kind of astral projection event? Regardless, the danger was definitely real even if the specifics of what was happening was less clear. She concentrated, focusing her will tightly around the creature and holding it fast. It was strong...incredibly strong...but even though Squidge couldn't hold it completely still, neither could it simply ignore the invisible force that dragged at every step, fought every motion of its arms. Fighting through this would be like fighting with heavy weights strapped to every extremity; Squidge hoped that her friends could make that advantage count!

Rolls: Fear 5, Psionics 5
Fear (Spirit) 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5 Wild 1d6!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5

Psionics 1d10!!-2: [5]-2 = 3 Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Mind Melter Reroll!
Psionics 1d10!!-2: [7]-2 = 5 Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Last edited by Squidge on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sis

Post by Sis »

Fear 18! - I think she's fine
Spirit 1d10!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [6!, 6!, 6!, 2] = 20
Psionics 4 - 1 success
Psionics 1d8!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
Not knowing what to expect, Sis un-holsters her revolver as she approaches the the gate. In the last few steps to where she saw people enter phase out, Sis take a few bounding steps and leaps face first into the gate. As she passes into the unknown dimension she tucks and rolls, coming up in a low couched stance, revolver extended in her right hand, the finger of her left hand over the trigger of the plasma grenade it contains.

She holds that stance as swinging her head left and right before standing up straight and turning back toward the gate as the others pass through

"All clear" she says, before realizing how uncomfortable the others look. Seeing their glances downward, Sis focuses her senses in that direction, realizing for the first time that while she feels the floor there isnt actually anything supporting her weight.

"Hmph....That's odd." She says, before turning around and walking away from the gate, swirling energies tossing her short hair about.

Sis is completely confounded by the classroom scene, clearly expecting some kind of fortified bunker base of operations rather than school. She's almost happy when the vicious Bat creature shows up. She manages to refrain from attacking it this time, not wanting a repeat of her blunder with Tessaric.

Her instincts this time would have guided her well, as the Bat thing attacks moments later. Sis quickly seperates herself from the group, circling around so that they can come at the creature from all sides. She nearly tries to banish the creature before hesistating.

Wherever the hell we are, this could be this thing natural dimension....

Instead she laces null energy around the barrel of her revolver so that each shot picks up trace amounts it, dragging it toward the creature with each blast, enhancing the damage it does. She intentionally draws within arms reach of the creature whenever a teammate seams to be in trouble, drawing the creatures focus just long enough for other to regain their balance.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
-1 for Fear Reroll

-1 armor
-1 smite

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:
Storm Fouled Senses (Racial): Inclement weather (Sand Storms, Fires with lots of smoke) -2 to notice, fighting, shooting, etc

Update Signature
Falderol Grelemis

Fear: Brave +2, Setting -2
Spirit: 1d10!: [6] = 6
Wild: 1d6!: [2] = 2

Combat: Trademark Weapon +1, Setting -2
Shooting: 1d8!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild: 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0

Reroll: Heroic Journey grants +2
Shooting: 1d8!+1: [8!, 6]+1 = 15
Wild: 1d6!+1: [4]+1 = 5

As the group approaches the stall it is disquieting watching those in front of him fade away even though he has seen many others do it. When his turn comes Billy closes his eyes and proceeds forward. After a few steps, having felt nothing, he opens his eye and stumbles a bit. Floating is the great nothing makes him dizzy for a moment but seeing his companions striding forward focuses his mind enough to keep going.

While the party moves on he take some time to actually enjoy the view. The guys back home would never believe this. The creature attempting to block their path only makes Billy smile. "This is something I know" he states drawing Louise from her holster. Trusting the invisible 'ground' to keep him steady he rolls to one side letting loose a fusillade of lead. A couple of rounds miss but most find their target. Leaping back to his feet Billy reloads and looks for any other threats.
Full Sheet
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Round Two Results

Unfazed by their strange environment, the 32nd SET springs into action like veterans of inter-dimensional travel.

The Cyber-Knight, Hedge, is no stranger to demons and monstrosities from other worlds, and his flashing psi-swords cut through the shark-bat-thing’s hide as cleanly as it does everything else. Dazzle’s
It looks like Dazzle’s shots didn’t include the -2 for the scene modifier, so they ended up missing.
to the beast, and he mostly ignores her.

Please drop a sentence or two for narrative, but your roll still counts
, but the demon certainly doesn’t seem to like it.

Meanwhile, Sis and Billy unleash an arcane-assisted barrage of bullets and blasts on the demon, pushing it back.

Good work, guys. You got 5 successes for 5 people posting, which is right on track. If you’d had the rest of the team posting, I think you’d have gotten all of the tokens possible. I’m trying to pro-rate the successes for those of you who rolled without cheapening the risk in the scene, so you do win the encounter, but the opponent isn’t dead and you may see him again later.
, but it bugs out of there, wherever “there” is.

“You will never know peace again, interlopers!” it screams, right before *pop!* ing out of existence.

Castle is so focused on hearing the words of the teacher that he doesn’t so much as lift a hand during the fight.

The woman in the sweater seems to be reciting a poem in an eerily rhythmic, entrancing cadence, and the longer she speaks, the more entranced the listeners become.
The Poem
Morning and evening
Maids heard the goblins cry:
“Come buy our orchard fruits,
Come buy, come buy:
Apples and quinces,
Lemons and oranges,
Plump unpeck’d cherries,
Melons and raspberries,
Bloom-down-cheek’d peaches,
Swart-headed mulberries,
Wild free-born cranberries,
Crab-apples, dewberries,
Pine-apples, blackberries,
Apricots, strawberries;—
All ripe together
In summer weather,—
Morns that pass by,
Fair eves that fly;
Come buy, come buy:
Our grapes fresh from the vine,
Pomegranates full and fine,
Dates and sharp bullaces,
Rare pears and greengages,
Damsons and bilberries,
Taste them and try:
Currants and gooseberries,
Bright-fire-like barberries,
Figs to fill your mouth,
Citrons from the South,
Sweet to tongue and sound to eye;
Come buy, come buy.”

Evening by evening
Among the brookside rushes,
Laura bow’d her head to hear,
Lizzie veil’d her blushes:
Crouching close together
In the cooling weather,
With clasping arms and cautioning lips,
With tingling cheeks and finger tips.
“Lie close,” Laura said,
Pricking up her golden head:
“We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?”
“Come buy,” call the goblins
Hobbling down the glen.

“Oh,” cried Lizzie, “Laura, Laura,
You should not peep at goblin men.”
Lizzie cover’d up her eyes,
Cover’d close lest they should look;
Laura rear’d her glossy head,
And whisper’d like the restless brook:
“Look, Lizzie, look, Lizzie,
Down the glen tramp little men.
One hauls a basket,
One bears a plate,
One lugs a golden dish
Of many pounds weight.
How fair the vine must grow
Whose grapes are so luscious;
How warm the wind must blow
Through those fruit bushes.”
“No,” said Lizzie, “No, no, no;
Their offers should not charm us,
Their evil gifts would harm us.”
She thrust a dimpled finger
In each ear, shut eyes and ran:
Curious Laura chose to linger
Wondering at each merchant man.
One had a cat’s face,
One whisk’d a tail,
One tramp’d at a rat’s pace,
One crawl’d like a snail,
One like a wombat prowl’d obtuse and furry,
One like a ratel tumbled hurry skurry.
She heard a voice like voice of doves
Cooing all together:
They sounded kind and full of loves
In the pleasant weather.

Laura stretch’d her gleaming neck
Like a rush-imbedded swan,
Like a lily from the beck,
Like a moonlit poplar branch,
Like a vessel at the launch
When its last restraint is gone.

Backwards up the mossy glen
Turn’d and troop’d the goblin men,
With their shrill repeated cry,
“Come buy, come buy.”
When they reach’d where Laura was
They stood stock still upon the moss,
Leering at each other,
Brother with queer brother;
Signalling each other,
Brother with sly brother.
One set his basket down,
One rear’d his plate;
One began to weave a crown
Of tendrils, leaves, and rough nuts brown
(Men sell not such in any town);
One heav’d the golden weight
Of dish and fruit to offer her:
“Come buy, come buy,” was still their cry.
Laura stared but did not stir,
Long’d but had no money:
The whisk-tail’d merchant bade her taste
In tones as smooth as honey,
The cat-faced purr’d,
The rat-faced spoke a word
Of welcome, and the snail-paced even was heard;
One parrot-voiced and jolly
Cried “Pretty Goblin” still for “Pretty Polly;”—
One whistled like a bird.

But sweet-tooth Laura spoke in haste:
“Good folk, I have no coin;
To take were to purloin:
I have no copper in my purse,
I have no silver either,
And all my gold is on the furze
That shakes in windy weather
Above the rusty heather.”
“You have much gold upon your head,”
They answer’d all together:
“Buy from us with a golden curl.”
She clipp’d a precious golden lock,
She dropp’d a tear more rare than pearl,
Then suck’d their fruit globes fair or red:
Sweeter than honey from the rock,
Stronger than man-rejoicing wine,
Clearer than water flow’d that juice;
She never tasted such before,
How should it cloy with length of use?
She suck’d and suck’d and suck’d the more
Fruits which that unknown orchard bore;
She suck’d until her lips were sore;
Then flung the emptied rinds away
But gather’d up one kernel stone,
And knew not was it night or day
As she turn’d home alone.

Lizzie met her at the gate
Full of wise upbraidings:
“Dear, you should not stay so late,
Twilight is not good for maidens;
Should not loiter in the glen
In the haunts of goblin men.
Do you not remember Jeanie,
How she met them in the moonlight,
Took their gifts both choice and many,
Ate their fruits and wore their flowers
Pluck’d from bowers
Where summer ripens at all hours?
But ever in the noonlight
She pined and pined away;
Sought them by night and day,
Found them no more, but dwindled and grew grey;
Then fell with the first snow,
While to this day no grass will grow
Where she lies low:
I planted daisies there a year ago
That never blow.
You should not loiter so.”
“Nay, hush,” said Laura:
“Nay, hush, my sister:
I ate and ate my fill,
Yet my mouth waters still;
To-morrow night I will
Buy more;” and kiss’d her:
“Have done with sorrow;
I’ll bring you plums to-morrow
Fresh on their mother twigs,
Cherries worth getting;
You cannot think what figs
My teeth have met in,
What melons icy-cold
Piled on a dish of gold
Too huge for me to hold,
What peaches with a velvet nap,
Pellucid grapes without one seed:
Odorous indeed must be the mead
Whereon they grow, and pure the wave they drink
With lilies at the brink,
And sugar-sweet their sap.”

Golden head by golden head,
Like two pigeons in one nest
Folded in each other’s wings,
They lay down in their curtain’d bed:
Like two blossoms on one stem,
Like two flakes of new-fall’n snow,
Like two wands of ivory
Tipp’d with gold for awful kings.
Moon and stars gaz’d in at them,
Wind sang to them lullaby,
Lumbering owls forbore to fly,
Not a bat flapp’d to and fro
Round their rest:
Cheek to cheek and breast to breast
Lock’d together in one nest.

Early in the morning
When the first cock crow’d his warning,
Neat like bees, as sweet and busy,
Laura rose with Lizzie:
Fetch’d in honey, milk’d the cows,
Air’d and set to rights the house,
Kneaded cakes of whitest wheat,
Cakes for dainty mouths to eat,
Next churn’d butter, whipp’d up cream,
Fed their poultry, sat and sew’d;
Talk’d as modest maidens should:
Lizzie with an open heart,
Laura in an absent dream,
One content, one sick in part;
One warbling for the mere bright day’s delight,
One longing for the night.

At length slow evening came:
They went with pitchers to the reedy brook;
Lizzie most placid in her look,
Laura most like a leaping flame.
They drew the gurgling water from its deep;
Lizzie pluck’d purple and rich golden flags,
Then turning homeward said: “The sunset flushes
Those furthest loftiest crags;
Come, Laura, not another maiden lags.
No wilful squirrel wags,
The beasts and birds are fast asleep.”
But Laura loiter’d still among the rushes
And said the bank was steep.

And said the hour was early still
The dew not fall’n, the wind not chill;
Listening ever, but not catching
The customary cry,
“Come buy, come buy,”
With its iterated jingle
Of sugar-baited words:
Not for all her watching
Once discerning even one goblin
Racing, whisking, tumbling, hobbling;
Let alone the herds
That used to tramp along the glen,
In groups or single,
Of brisk fruit-merchant men.

Till Lizzie urged, “O Laura, come;
I hear the fruit-call but I dare not look:
You should not loiter longer at this brook:
Come with me home.
The stars rise, the moon bends her arc,
Each glowworm winks her spark,
Let us get home before the night grows dark:
For clouds may gather
Though this is summer weather,
Put out the lights and drench us through;
Then if we lost our way what should we do?”

Laura turn’d cold as stone
To find her sister heard that cry alone,
That goblin cry,
“Come buy our fruits, come buy.”
Must she then buy no more such dainty fruit?
Must she no more such succous pasture find,
Gone deaf and blind?
Her tree of life droop’d from the root:
She said not one word in her heart’s sore ache;
But peering thro’ the dimness, nought discerning,
Trudg’d home, her pitcher dripping all the way;
So crept to bed, and lay
Silent till Lizzie slept;
Then sat up in a passionate yearning,
And gnash’d her teeth for baulk’d desire, and wept
As if her heart would break.

Day after day, night after night,
Laura kept watch in vain
In sullen silence of exceeding pain.
She never caught again the goblin cry:
“Come buy, come buy;”—
She never spied the goblin men
Hawking their fruits along the glen:
But when the noon wax’d bright
Her hair grew thin and grey;
She dwindled, as the fair full moon doth turn
To swift decay and burn
Her fire away.

One day remembering her kernel-stone
She set it by a wall that faced the south;
Dew’d it with tears, hoped for a root,
Watch’d for a waxing shoot,
But there came none;
It never saw the sun,
It never felt the trickling moisture run:
While with sunk eyes and faded mouth
She dream’d of melons, as a traveller sees
False waves in desert drouth
With shade of leaf-crown’d trees,
And burns the thirstier in the sandful breeze.

She no more swept the house,
Tended the fowls or cows,
Fetch’d honey, kneaded cakes of wheat,
Brought water from the brook:
But sat down listless in the chimney-nook
And would not eat.

Tender Lizzie could not bear
To watch her sister’s cankerous care
Yet not to share.
She night and morning
Caught the goblins’ cry:
“Come buy our orchard fruits,
Come buy, come buy;”—
Beside the brook, along the glen,
She heard the tramp of goblin men,
The yoke and stir
Poor Laura could not hear;
Long’d to buy fruit to comfort her,
But fear’d to pay too dear.
She thought of Jeanie in her grave,
Who should have been a bride;
But who for joys brides hope to have
Fell sick and died
In her gay prime,
In earliest winter time
With the first glazing rime,
With the first snow-fall of crisp winter time.

Till Laura dwindling
Seem’d knocking at Death’s door:
Then Lizzie weigh’d no more
Better and worse;
But put a silver penny in her purse,
Kiss’d Laura, cross’d the heath with clumps of furze
At twilight, halted by the brook:
And for the first time in her life
Began to listen and look.

Laugh’d every goblin
When they spied her peeping:
Came towards her hobbling,
Flying, running, leaping,
Puffing and blowing,
Chuckling, clapping, crowing,
Clucking and gobbling,
Mopping and mowing,
Full of airs and graces,
Pulling wry faces,
Demure grimaces,
Cat-like and rat-like,
Ratel- and wombat-like,
Snail-paced in a hurry,
Parrot-voiced and whistler,
Helter skelter, hurry skurry,
Chattering like magpies,
Fluttering like pigeons,
Gliding like fishes,—
Hugg’d her and kiss’d her:
Squeez’d and caress’d her:
Stretch’d up their dishes,
Panniers, and plates:
“Look at our apples
Russet and dun,
Bob at our cherries,
Bite at our peaches,
Citrons and dates,
Grapes for the asking,
Pears red with basking
Out in the sun,
Plums on their twigs;
Pluck them and suck them,
Pomegranates, figs.”—

“Good folk,” said Lizzie,
Mindful of Jeanie:
“Give me much and many: —
Held out her apron,
Toss’d them her penny.
“Nay, take a seat with us,
Honour and eat with us,”
They answer’d grinning:
“Our feast is but beginning.
Night yet is early,
Warm and dew-pearly,
Wakeful and starry:
Such fruits as these
No man can carry:
Half their bloom would fly,
Half their dew would dry,
Half their flavour would pass by.
Sit down and feast with us,
Be welcome guest with us,
Cheer you and rest with us.”—
“Thank you,” said Lizzie: “But one waits
At home alone for me:
So without further parleying,
If you will not sell me any
Of your fruits though much and many,
Give me back my silver penny
I toss’d you for a fee.”—
They began to scratch their pates,
No longer wagging, purring,
But visibly demurring,
Grunting and snarling.
One call’d her proud,
Cross-grain’d, uncivil;
Their tones wax’d loud,
Their looks were evil.
Lashing their tails
They trod and hustled her,
Elbow’d and jostled her,
Claw’d with their nails,
Barking, mewing, hissing, mocking,
Tore her gown and soil’d her stocking,
Twitch’d her hair out by the roots,
Stamp’d upon her tender feet,
Held her hands and squeez’d their fruits
Against her mouth to make her eat.

White and golden Lizzie stood,
Like a lily in a flood,—
Like a rock of blue-vein’d stone
Lash’d by tides obstreperously,—
Like a beacon left alone
In a hoary roaring sea,
Sending up a golden fire,—
Like a fruit-crown’d orange-tree
White with blossoms honey-sweet
Sore beset by wasp and bee,—
Like a royal virgin town
Topp’d with gilded dome and spire
Close beleaguer’d by a fleet
Mad to tug her standard down.

One may lead a horse to water,
Twenty cannot make him drink.
Though the goblins cuff’d and caught her,
Coax’d and fought her,
Bullied and besought her,
Scratch’d her, pinch’d her black as ink,
Kick’d and knock’d her,
Maul’d and mock’d her,
Lizzie utter’d not a word;
Would not open lip from lip
Lest they should cram a mouthful in:
But laugh’d in heart to feel the drip
Of juice that syrupp’d all her face,
And lodg’d in dimples of her chin,
And streak’d her neck which quaked like curd.
At last the evil people,
Worn out by her resistance,
Flung back her penny, kick’d their fruit
Along whichever road they took,
Not leaving root or stone or shoot;
Some writh’d into the ground,
Some div’d into the brook
With ring and ripple,
Some scudded on the gale without a sound,
Some vanish’d in the distance.

In a smart, ache, tingle,
Lizzie went her way;
Knew not was it night or day;
Sprang up the bank, tore thro’ the furze,
Threaded copse and dingle,
And heard her penny jingle
Bouncing in her purse,—
Its bounce was music to her ear.
She ran and ran
As if she fear’d some goblin man
Dogg’d her with gibe or curse
Or something worse:
But not one goblin scurried after,
Nor was she prick’d by fear;
The kind heart made her windy-paced
That urged her home quite out of breath with haste
And inward laughter.

She cried, “Laura,” up the garden,
“Did you miss me?
Come and kiss me.
Never mind my bruises,
Hug me, kiss me, suck my juices
Squeez’d from goblin fruits for you,
Goblin pulp and goblin dew.
Eat me, drink me, love me;
Laura, make much of me;
For your sake I have braved the glen
And had to do with goblin merchant men.”

Laura started from her chair,
Flung her arms up in the air,
Clutch’d her hair:
“Lizzie, Lizzie, have you tasted
For my sake the fruit forbidden?
Must your light like mine be hidden,
Your young life like mine be wasted,
Undone in mine undoing,
And ruin’d in my ruin,
Thirsty, canker’d, goblin-ridden?”—
She clung about her sister,
Kiss’d and kiss’d and kiss’d her:
Tears once again
Refresh’d her shrunken eyes,
Dropping like rain
After long sultry drouth;
Shaking with aguish fear, and pain,
She kiss’d and kiss’d her with a hungry mouth.

Her lips began to scorch,
That juice was wormwood to her tongue,
She loath’d the feast:
Writhing as one possess’d she leap’d and sung,
Rent all her robe, and wrung
Her hands in lamentable haste,
And beat her breast.
Her locks stream’d like the torch
Borne by a racer at full speed,
Or like the mane of horses in their flight,
Or like an eagle when she stems the light
Straight toward the sun,
Or like a caged thing freed,
Or like a flying flag when armies run.

Swift fire spread through her veins, knock’d at her heart,
Met the fire smouldering there
And overbore its lesser flame;
She gorged on bitterness without a name:
Ah! fool, to choose such part
Of soul-consuming care!
Sense fail’d in the mortal strife:
Like the watch-tower of a town
Which an earthquake shatters down,
Like a lightning-stricken mast,
Like a wind-uprooted tree
Spun about,
Like a foam-topp’d waterspout
Cast down headlong in the sea,
She fell at last;
Pleasure past and anguish past,
Is it death or is it life?

Life out of death.
That night long Lizzie watch’d by her,
Counted her pulse’s flagging stir,
Felt for her breath,
Held water to her lips, and cool’d her face
With tears and fanning leaves:
But when the first birds chirp’d about their eaves,
And early reapers plodded to the place
Of golden sheaves,
And dew-wet grass
Bow’d in the morning winds so brisk to pass,
And new buds with new day
Open’d of cup-like lilies on the stream,
Laura awoke as from a dream,
Laugh’d in the innocent old way,
Hugg’d Lizzie but not twice or thrice;
Her gleaming locks show’d not one thread of grey,
Her breath was sweet as May
And light danced in her eyes.

Days, weeks, months, years
Afterwards, when both were wives
With children of their own;
Their mother-hearts beset with fears,
Their lives bound up in tender lives;
Laura would call the little ones
And tell them of her early prime,
Those pleasant days long gone
Of not-returning time:
Would talk about the haunted glen,
The wicked, quaint fruit-merchant men,
Their fruits like honey to the throat
But poison in the blood;
(Men sell not such in any town):
Would tell them how her sister stood
In deadly peril to do her good,
And win the fiery antidote:
Then joining hands to little hands
Would bid them cling together,
“For there is no friend like a sister
In calm or stormy weather;
To cheer one on the tedious way,
To fetch one if one goes astray,
To lift one if one totters down,
To strengthen whilst one stands.”
Magic practically drips from her lips, and she turns her attention on you.

“A pity. He was such a good little guard dog. Well, as the great bard once said, ‘You've got to know when to hold 'em, Know when to fold 'em, Know when to walk away.’”

With that, an explosion rocks all of you (you can feel the vibrations all the way to your teeth!) and the classroom bursts into a blindingly bright light that leaves you all seeing spots.

To your horror, the people inside the classroom are thrown out in all directions, some being hurled up, others down, others away from you at frightening speed! Naturally, the woman in the blue sweater is nowhere to be found.

Last Round, Heroes!

This is it, guys. Your task is to roll absolutely any skill that makes sense to you to try and prevent as many people from flying off into the abyss as possible. Perhaps you use Athletics to catch someone. Perhaps you use your understanding of the Occult to warp the dimension around you, allowing you to move up or down. Or perhaps you have the flight power and can use your Arcane Skill to go after the unlucky victims. Anyone you don’t save now may well be lost forever. There is no cap on the number of tokens you can earn on this round, and the more tokens you earn, the greater will be your potential reward following this adventure.

The difficulty for the task is set at -2, as before.

Here is the big difference: if you so choose, you can decide to automatically save any number of people (either in place of or in addition to any you save by rolling above), but at great personal risk to yourself. For each one you choose to save in this fashion, I will make a roll and tell you what ends up happening to your character. Fair warning: you can end up with permanent Hindrances by taking this route. But you might also end up with permanent rewards. Bravery is risky, after all…

Action Cards

We are doing initiative only to see if there are any Clubs drawn. If your character gets a Club, you’ve run into a complication, and your roll above will be at an additional -2 (so -4 total).

Goswin: Red Joker
Castle: King of Spades
Squidge: Queen of Spades
Sis: Jack of Spades
Hedge: Jack of Hearts
Billy (Quick): Nine of Clubs
Dazzle (Quick): Eight of Diamonds
Vincent: Two of Clubs

Goswin will get the benefit of the Joker (so his roll will be even instead of at -2) and everyone may take a Benny.

Good luck!

Goswin Aigner

Post by Goswin Aigner »

Goswin is distracted by the strange,
Spirit: 1d10!: [7] = 7
Wild: 1d6!: [4] = 4
the 32nd has walked into. It is just another of many exciting phenomenon to the young fusionist who has spent his formative years exploring the wild lands of the Magic Zone. When the demon attacks, he tries to make sense of whats happening inside the classroom but is completely useless. He turns to help his friends when the demon disappears and all hell breaks loose.

When the people inside the room are flung every which away, he springs into action. He doesn't know what's happening, but Goswin is certain that it can't be a good thing. This realm isn't an earthly place, but he can breathe the air. Where there's air, there's power for Goswin and he draws upon it.

Goswin
Focus: 1d12!: [11] = 11
Wild: 1d6!: [3] = 3
around his legs, pushing it downwards, and spins it faster and faster as it reaches his feet. The twin vortexes roar when they touch whatever surface is holding him up and Goswin hurtles into the air after the nearest body.

He snatches it and adjusts his path to the next nearest one, weaving a similar spell midair. He anchors a similar vortex to the mans back and the man gently falls back to the ground. By the time he reaches the second body, he can tell from his efforts and that of his friends that they won't be able to save every person. He lets the young woman float to the ground and turns towards the next nearest person.

He chooses to do something foolish then. It's something he's never tried before, but Goswin thinks he might be able to pull it off. He reaches to his powers of earth while holding on to his connection to air. The wind stops swirling around his legs while he focuses on the child flying away from him in the distance.

Focusing on the kid as if he were going to hit him with lightning, Goswin can feel the path the electricity would have to follow to reach the boy. It's not terribly difficult for Goswin to travel via lightning, but he usually travels metal to metal or to some other suitable material. Instead, he was jumping to a person - and lightning isn't exactly healthy for people. Even worse, if he doesn't let the energy ground into the boy then it has to go somewhere else. Like into Goswin's body when he reforms near the child - if his timing is right and he doesn't electrocute the kid.

Somehow, Goswin pulls out off. He takes one more second to judge the distance between the two of them, releases the lightning and rides it to the kid. He rematerializes in front of the boy and grabs him with one hand while he channels the electricity into his staff with his other hand.
Goswin Aigner, Elemental Fusionist
Goswin, Elemental Fusionist
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • All Thumbs: –2 to use mechanical or electrical devices.
  • Elan: +2 when spending a Benny to reroll a Trait roll.
  • Elemental Brotherhood: See/converse with all elemental entities (including spirits of dark/light). Such beings see Goswin as a brother and will offer/request aid if needed.
  • Fusion Synergy: Powers activated using the fusion Trapping gain a free reroll on all related Trait checks. They also gain a +2 Toughness bonus to barrier, entangle, and protection.
  • Life Sign Harmony: Environmental protection makes him immune to all negative effects or damage from his life sign, and elemental manipulation Trait checks are made at +4 when using his life sign's Trappings.
  • Marksman: Ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Range, Cover, Called Shot, Scale, or Speed; or add +1 to first Athletics (throwing) or Shooting roll. Character may not move or fire greater than RoF 1.
  • Primordial Bond: While in nature, Fusionists have Danger Sense.
    • Danger Sense: Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Strong Willed: +2 to resist Smarts or Spirit-based Tests.
  • Variable Trappings: When activating powers, may choose between Air, Earth and Lightning Fusion trappings.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 0/30; PP: 20/20
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 1/1
Edit Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Billy spent a Benny for a new Action Card and got the 10 of Hearts.

In response to the question @Goswin Aigner asked on discord, there are 24 people being tossed into the nether.

Falderol Grelemis

Athletics: 1d8!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild: 1d6-2: [3]-2 = 1

No successes but will auto save three targets.

Billy looks around trying to figure out how to jump high enough to grab one of the students. Just as he starts to give up White Castle hands him a rope. Billy is not sure what to use it for when suddenly his mind kicks in. Right! A lasso! He turns slightly and kneels down to tie the rope. When Castle jumps off of him Billy looks up and sees what the actual plan was. Seeing that Castle is nowhere near any of the students Billy decides to use a little physics.

Instead of just pulling Castle back Billy jogs a couple of steps pulling Castle's course into an angular motion. Then Billy suddenly jerks the rope and starts back the other way. This causes Castle to accelerate and start describing an arc through space. The rope snags on several students but when Billy starts reeling them in only three stay snared. He quickly pulls Castle and the three rescues to safety.

"Not the best plan but we did save a few" he comments helping White Castle back to his feet.
Last edited by Falderol Grelemis on Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Full Sheet
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle's mind flashes to a scene from a book. Soldiers fighting in zero gravity. Hmm zero gravity. Wonder what is like. Then Castle realizes he is in a zero g environment.

Pulling the coiled ropes from his survival pack, he knots the two ropes together. Then looking at @Billy he ties a rope end around his waist. Pointing towards a student tumbling head over heels, slowly. "You are my anchor. The more people you have grouped with you, the harder you will be to move."

With just a hundred feet of rope, Castle waits for Billy to turn around and then plants his feet on his back and launches himself after a student.
Scene Mod - 2, Scholar + 2
Academics 1d10!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

As Castle goes careening off into the Aether, he figures that Ender would most likely have him traded at the next opportunity. Even Bean couldn't use this snafu. His one saving grace he figures is that he is traveling slowly, then he looks at his left hand , where he holds the end of the rope. Hand over hand he pulls a sizeable length and then ties himself off as he continues to sail away.

The one thing Castle notices is that the students while being propelled by the explosion have no additional momentum of their own. Most seem dazed and are not able to control themselves. If they were awake and conscious, they could tuck, roll and possibly slow themselves coming out of that roll.
Eat you heart out applied physics book I should have also read.

Using the gained Benny for Narrative Conclusion
of his PA's speaker he sends a frequency out that he figures should counteract the mesmerizing effects of the poem. If they are awake, thye could potentially save themselves. He doesn't mess with his own trajectory, figuring that Billy should be sufficient to counteract his failed attempt and since there is nothing for him to bounce off of, he is likely to keep with his current speed and direction.
Last edited by White Castle on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

1d12!!-2: [9]-2 = 7
Vincent mutters a curse in some strange language. Eldritch energies infuse his form and he begins to move at a supernatural speed, saving as many people from tumbling into the void as he can.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Goswin Aigner pushes himself further than he thought he could go, putting himself out into the abyss and stealing himself to grab one more person in need.

He just barely makes it, his fingertips grabbing on to hers at the last possible moment, and Goswin learns something profound about himself in that action.

The Table
Goswin chose one roll on the mystery table in order to save one additional person. He saved the potential victim and got fortunate with his roll: gain the Strong Willed Edge

Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

Pisonics 5, 1 success
Benny Psionics (spend 4 ISP for +2) 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Benny Wild Die (Psionics) 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0

Benny rolls are as an attachment for some reason
Seeing people in danger Hedge bursts into action, calling on his inner strength reserves he wills himself to be faster and stronger than his body would normally allow. Pushing himself into overdrive with mind-over-matter the cyberknight leaps, runs, and grabs as many people as possible showing no regard for his own safety but instead putting in maximum effort to save these souls.
Dice rolls
Psionics (spend 4 ISP for +2) 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild Die (Psionics) 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

For Hedge 4d20: [19, 10, 15, 5] = 49
Thin Skinned
Common Bond
Death Wish (get justice for those you couldn't save)
Minor PTSD

@Hedge pushes himself beyond his limits, and a mind already beset with pain and conflict breaks a little more. Hedge gains the Common Bond Edge, but also gets the Thin Skinned, Death Wish, and Minor PTSD Hindrances. He also gets a Benny.

For Billy 3d20: [1, 14, 2] = 17
Hesitant - subbing this out for Minor PTSD so as to not cancel out his existing Quick Edge
Reliable
Level Headed

@Billy likewise goes too far physically, but he proves himself capable of even more than he would've guessed. Nonetheless, he will remember the screams of the lost for the rest of his life. He gets the Minor PTSD Hindrance (which pushes his existing PTSD Hindrance to Major) and gains the Reliable and Level Headed Edges. He also gains a Benny.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

2d20: [12, 14] = 26

Tales of @Vincent’s heroism will spread through Psyscape like wildfire, gaining him the Fame Edge. He also earns a reputation for reliability, and the Reliable Edge.

Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Athletics 5; 1 success; and I'll take 2 rolls to save 2 more
Athletics 1d4!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Psyscape
Afternoon
Round 0

The guardian ran off, no thanks to Dazzle and her pop gun, apparently, and there didn’t appear to be any more threats, so she holstered her weapon for the moment. Something was beating a rhythmic, hypnotic cadence, and she realized it was the woman in the blue sweater reciting a poem for the class. Dazzle giggled a little. It sounded kind of...naughty, though not. Mentally she started adding music.

And then the woman exploded in bright lights, and the entire classroom of students was flung into the void!

“Crap! Crap! Crap!” Dazzle cursed. All she had on her were her weapons and armor. Looking pretty and singing beautifully weren’t going to help her in this!

Dazzle raced out and grabbed a boy by the wrist, then her other hand closed on two more girls by their hair. Everyone collapsed into a heap on top of her, and she groaned.

Technical Difficulties: Serious Problem: -2 when using the audio equipment in the armor. Repair -2. 20% cost in parts. (250k)
Current Loadout
Wilk’s 447 Laser Rifle
Vibro-Knife
Field Repair Kit
2 frag grenades
Plasma grenade
Party Loot
Badly damaged Combat Mage Armor (Serious Problem, -2 Repair roll, 4 hours, 50k credits)
TW Longsword
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Pace: 14; Run d8 (60 mph); Swim 6/6; Run d6; Parry: 6; Toughness: 40 (25 MDC)/11 (5)
Bennies: 4/3
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

2d20: [11, 13] = 24
Minor Mania
Minor Delusion

@Dazzle, unable to stomach what is happening around her, summons her will and goes out to save two more. The strange energies of the dimension, coupled with the torment on the faces of the victims she can't quite reach, snap something inside of her. She gains the Minor Mania and Minor Delusion Hindrances (note: PM me if you feel these are too similar to roleplay effectively, and we can swap out one or the other). She also gets a Benny.

Squidge

Post by Squidge »

Hahaha doing the roll first again. I can't forget the narration TWICE right? RIGHT?!

Rolls: Psionics 8
Psionics (-2 situation, +2 Major Psi; 4 ISP spent) 1d10!!: [4] = 4 Wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

MIND MELTER
Psionics 1d10!!: [8] = 8 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

2d20: [3, 5] = 8
Minor Phobia
Minor PTSD

Sis

Post by Sis »

Psionics 1d8!-2: [6]-2 = 4
Wild 1d6!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Everything happens so fast, Sis is stunned for a moment. In an instant, the physics of the dimension are turned on its head. After the blinding light Sis can see that some of the class members are flying in all directions, as though unbound by gravity, even as she stand on what feels like solid ground. The others leap into action quickly working to recover those that went shooting off in the distance from being lost in the abyss.

That left Sis to deal with those who were still subject to the laws of gravity. Sis is unsure if those in the classroom are friend or foe. Everyone seemed to have entered this dimension willingly. But then, If everyone died she'd never find out.

She muses this point as the two shot into the "sky" reach their pinnacle and start to fall again. Ss they start to descend, Sis calls forth Null energy and, with a little focus, combines it with the energy of whatever dimension this is, causing a controlled explosion. She shapes the blast wave upward, slowing the unintentional skydivers.

The first lands with a soft, but otherwise safe thud on whatever surface is supporting Sis and the other Legionaries.

However, Sis is
One roll on the table please
and the other, though slowed, plummets downward at a dangerous pace.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
-1 for Fear Reroll

-1 armor
-1 smite

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

1d20: [10] = 10
Common Bond

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

The Rescuers

The 32nd is a miracle made life.

At incredible personal risk (and cost), the members of the 32nd SET push themselves to, and then beyond, their personal limits. Some stress their own minds to the breaking point, and the unnatural energies of the alien dimension permanently corrupting them. Others find in themselves reserves of strength they never realized they had. Almost universally, though, the SET is changed by this experience forever.

Somehow, the heroes of the 32nd manage to save every man, woman, and child, except one. The young, human girl that the team first noticed disappear in the bazaar goes plummeting downward, just out of the reach of Hedge.

Before she can disappear into the void, the air (or whatever passes for air in this dimension) shimmers and another human appears: the woman psi-warrior you saw earlier. The woman reaches both hands out and catches the girl, pulling her into an embrace. ”I’ve got you. I’ve got you.”

The girl, like all of the people you saved, stares ahead blankly, unresponsive to the words of the Psi-Warrior

The Psi-Warrior looks up at you as she walks her charge over.

”I’m Captain Shinsanea, and I have been tracking these people for the better part of a month. Who are you people, and where in the hells did you come from?”

White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle, still anchored to @Billy does his best to real himself back towards the team and the students.

"We happen to be covertly representing the Judges and Council of Psyscape."

Trying to get his position and location, Castle does his best to point the direction out from whence they came.

"Did we not see you go through the portal in the Psyscape Bizarre?" @Pursuit

"Just from what little we know, my guess is that those entering the portal had a means for locating them here." When Castle points to where the classroom used to be and at the random individuals who were the students.

"Not entirely certain how we were able to so accurately pinpoint these people and their exact location, in a matter of minutes."

"How have you managed to traverse this dimension?"
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

White Castle wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:26 am Castle, still anchored to @Billy does his best to real himself back towards the team and the students.

"We happen to be covertly representing the Judges and Council of Psyscape."

Trying to get his position and location, Castle does his best to point the direction out from whence they came.

"Did we not see you go through the portal in the Psyscape Bizarre?" @Pursuit

"Just from what little we know, my guess is that those entering the portal had a means for locating them here." When Castle points to where the classroom used to be and at the random individuals who were the students.

"Not entirely certain how we were able to so accurately pinpoint these people and their exact location, in a matter of minutes."

"How have you managed to traverse this dimension?"
Her eyebrows go up. ”The judges sent you? Indeed? Huh. I have been looking for how Nxla’s harvesters have been getting their hooks into our people for some time. You did, in fact, see me in the bazaar, it seems, though I did not see you. You have names?”

She waves her hand back at where the classroom had been. ”We were fortunate that they did not expect their potential victims to go far; I did have to slip past that guardian, but it looks like it was very little trouble for you.”

She looks in the direction Castle is pointing. ” We should try to find our way back. Be careful; time and distance aren’t static here.”
Finding Home
Make a Survival roll at -4 or an Occult roll at -2 to find your way out.

Falderol Grelemis

Survival: 1d8!: [2] = 2
Wild: 1d6!: [2] = 2
Not a crit fail but not for lack of trying.

As Billy starts gathering the 'students' together he tries his best to restore them to functionality but quickly realizes it is beyond his abilities. Instead, he tests the 'ground' to see how bad it would be to just drag the victims towards the portal.

When the Psi-Warrior shows up Billy casts her a suspicious look but continues working on looping the civilians together to get them out of here.
White Castle wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:26 am"We happen to be covertly representing the Judges and Council of Psyscape."
Internally Billy sighs. I guess you forgot the meaning of the word 'covert'? As in don't tell everyone you come across what you are doing and for whom.
Pursuit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:49 amHer eyebrows go up. ”The judges sent you? Indeed? Huh. I have been looking for how Nxla’s harvesters have been getting their hooks into our people for some time. You did, in fact, see me in the bazaar, it seems, though I did not see you. You have names?”

She waves her hand back at where the classroom had been. ”We were fortunate that they did not expect their potential victims to go far; I did have to slip past that guardian, but it looks like it was very little trouble for you.”

She looks in the direction Castle is pointing. ” We should try to find our way back. Be careful; time and distance aren’t static here.”
Billy finally looks directly at the Psi-Warrior. "Well, we 'aint heard you name yet, presuming you have one, and gettin' out is easy we just go..." He looks in the direction Castle pointed and then looks around. "Are you sure it's that way? I thought we came from..." Continuing to look around Billy hesitantly points in a few directions, including upwards and downwards, before sighing. "Tarnation. Maybe we are lost."
Full Sheet
White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle catches the look @Billy sends his way but does little to react to it.

Feeling certain that he is giving nothing else away he extends his hand to the lady psi-warrior, "The name is Castle. White Castle to be exact."

Survival 1d8!!+2: [1]+2 = 3 Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
he pointed. "Pretty sure we came from that direction."

"Though the texts and materials at the libraries in Psyscape mention these dimensions."
Occult 1d10!!: [9] = 9 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
and identifies the correct way to exit. "I am quite certain the way in, is not the way out."

"Doctor Stantz pointed out that one of the reasons the stand in the bizarre was able to remain unnoticed was that people only went in. No one ever came out."

"The real question is where the exit, well uh exits."
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@White Castle gives a close inspection to the colors swirling around them in the aether, and a pattern begins to materialize.

He remembers having read about particular painters, masters of their craft long before the coming of the Rifts, and the speculation that they were in fact seeing into other worlds as they painted. The “sky” above reminds him of one such painting, and beckons him forward in a perpendicular line to the direction from whence the SET had come.

White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Pursuit wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 am White Castle gives a close inspection to the colors swirling around them in the aether, and a pattern begins to materialize.

He remembers having read about particular painters, masters of their craft long before the coming of the Rifts, and the speculation that they were in fact seeing into other worlds as they painted.
Starry Night.jpg
Starry Night.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 16954 times
, and beckons him forward in a perpendicular line to the direction from whence the SET had come.
"Unbelievable."

"Van Goes Starry Night is our way out."
Dazzle

Post by Dazzle »

Occult 5
-2 difficulty
Occult 1d4!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Psyscape/Weird dimension
Afternoon
Round 0

Dazzle’s eyes narrowed as the psi-warrior approached. “Captain Shinsanea, you say? Captain of what?” the pink-haired DJ asked suspiciously. “You got any credentials? How do we know you aren’t some Nxla-ite?” She paused, frowned, tilted her head, her nose scrunching up cutely. “Is that a word? What do we call all these people?”

As White Castle led the way out, Dazzle was surprised to find she could sense the local energies. They did seem to be leading this way. “Weird. It’s like the time I had those mushrooms,” she mused.

Current Loadout
Wilk’s 447 Laser Rifle
Vibro-Knife
Field Repair Kit
2 frag grenades
Plasma grenade
Party Loot
TW Longsword
Vibro-knife x2
Laser pistol x2
Character Tracker
Dazzle Character Sheet
Bennies: 5/3
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Dazzle wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 am
Dazzle’s eyes narrowed as the psi-warrior approached. “Captain Shinsanea, you say? Captain of what?” the pink-haired DJ asked suspiciously. “You got any credentials? How do we know you aren’t some Nxla-ite?” She paused, frowned, tilted her head, her nose scrunching up cutely. “Is that a word? What do we call all these people?”
"We mostly call them 'Followers of Nxla,' but I suppose that can be a mouthful, can't it? As for my bona fides, well, there's not much I could show you here that would be convincing, but it gratifies me that someone has the wit to ask. The best I can do is this."

She holds her arm out to the side and a Psi-Blade appears, glowing a soft purple in the gloom. "These blades are anathema to Nxla's minions, and they cannot abide their touch..." Then she trails off, as if realizing something.

She places herself protectively between the girl and you, and points her sword at you. "You make a good point, though, stranger. How do I know that you are who you say you are?"

White Castle

Post by White Castle »

Castle was rising above everyone else heading through the Starry Night when the Captain drew her psi-blade and the blade being summoned caused Castle to reflexively alter his armor's appearance to match the patterns in the sky above.

With a most scornful tone he scolds all those aware of where they are.

"So the Captain makes the first point."

"Let me make another, which if Dazzle and company had stuck around, they too could have walked several miles in Tessaric's shoes."

"Another thing to consider. The Followers of Nxla all seem to have a way to communicate with each other. It is obvious Captain, that none of us has a means to talk to them."

As if to emphasize he descends in front of the girl the Captain is protecting and does a Cheshire Cat grin only across his helmet before allowing his armor to assume its previous coloration and markings.

"There does not appear to be a Harvester around to keep all these lost souls together."
Vargan Orok

Post by Vargan Orok »

Noise. Talking. Someone is talking.

Hedge is dazed by the flurry of events, having saved so many nd then this apparent psi-warrior shows up at the last second. Where was she? Why didn't she act sooner? Why is she waving her psi-blade around? Confused, frustrated, and somewhere deep down - broken - Hedge calls forth his own blade. It shimmers white hot in the strange dimension pulsating with his own fury and frustration.

"You question us, who saved so many while you sat around with your thumb up your..." he trails off at the sight of the little girl. "Yield. If you serve Psyscape and the Psynex then we aren't enemies here. But we can be quickly."
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Captain Shinsanea narrows her eyes at @White Castle’s display, confusion on her face. ”I don’t follow you. There was a Harvester here, but you folks seem to have chased her off. And that armor thing was a bit... creepy.”

When she sees @Hedge’s Psi-Sword, she relaxes visibly, despite his aggressive words. ”Ah. A Cyber-Knight. Good enough for now.” She waves the remaining survivors on, who follow mindlessly behind, except for the small girl, who she keeps at her side. As an afterthought, she dismisses her own Psi-Blade.

White Castle

Post by White Castle »

"Creepy? Really?"

"Tell you what. Lets get these 'students' back. Then we can decipher the instructions they were receiving."

"Maybe we can reprogram them."
Sis

Post by Sis »

Sis trains her gun on the newcomer as soon as she summons her blade. Before she can understand why, the situation seems to be diffused, but Sis keeps her gun up.

"What they hell are all of you talking about? Victims? Didn't we see each one of these people come in here on our own? I thought we were searching out supporters of this "Nyxla"? Here I thought we were saving these people so that Psyscape would have someone to interrogate"

Sis waits a minute for someone to fill her in on whatever it was that went over her head.

Keeping her gun training on the self proclaimed captain she adds "And you... You say that blade proves you aren't an agent of this thing, but that only proves something if you are aren't lying. @Hedge, @Squidge, either of you know if that's actually true? I don't like how she just shimmered out of no where at the last moment. We saw her come in here long before we did. So how did she do that if she wasnt already familiar with this place?"

Sis keeps suspicious eyes trained on Shinsanea. Unless the others object, she will keep her rifle out on the trek to wherever it is they are going, and keep it pointed in the psi-warriors general direction, if not directly at her. She also makes a point of staying well away from those who they saved. Their experience with the last group of Xombies and a Harvest has left Sis particularly suspicious of appearances.
Sis - Nega Psychic
Details
-1 for Fear Reroll

-1 armor
-1 smite

Active Powers:

Active Effects:

Notable Edges:

Notable Hindrances:

Update Signature
Squidge

Post by Squidge »

Visions of the endless void kept circling in her mind, of a fate worse than death...to be forever falling, falling...falling...unable to die, unable to live... The raised voices and bared weapons snapped her out of it though.

"It's true," Squidge says placatingly. "Nyxla and its servants can't use psionic powers like that. I guess it's not impossible for a psychic to 'follow' Nyxla, but they can't be bound to it, or become Harvesters, so there wouldn't be anything to gain from it."

She held her hands out, one towards Sis, one towards Shinsanea. "Everyone relax. We saw something horrible..." Even just saying it started to bring it back, and Squidge shook her head to banish the visions. "...and we were all trying to do the same thing without knowing about it. But right now, if Shinsanea were somehow involved in this, it wouldn't make any sense to confront us. She'd want to get away, avoid contact, so she could establish a new cell. So lets just...chill out, okay?"
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

GM Edit: Great RP, guys! Just wanted to note that psychics can definitely be soul snatched by Nyxla in our game. It is true that Harvesters loathe psychics, though; neither Squidge nor Hedge has ever heard of a psychic Harvester.

Return to “32nd SET Adventure Forum”