02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

Card 1d56 a card divisible by 4 is a club a 56 will be a severe ambush: [25] = 25



Prepared for an ambush that was not there the War Breakers come through like true professionals moving into a forest that looked like a thousand others. The bright blue glow of the ley line easily illuminates the area around the heroes showing little of interest around them.

If all is well, then the heroes should be in the right place. Though no robots or other technology stands out around their immediate area. But a quick visual look around reveals a coalition platoon only half a mile north of the heroes. Forcing the heroes to fall below the tree line while they decide how to move out from here.

The instructions from Refuge said that War was using some sort of alien super cyborgs as agents, but the area will need scoured. Travel to the reported location of the attack where the previous legion force lost their lives should be possible in less than a day’s travel East from the ley line.




Survival roll -2 to confirm your landing location is as predicted (No default roll allowed, but support rolls are allowed without penalty).

There are small dangers, but little worth mentioning to legendary heroes. Include in your narrative a environmental danger or monstrous animal you deal with. (No roll required for this.)

Tell me how you avoid the CS patrol, or does your group approach them? Do you have a conversation as you figure out the best option?

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Survival !!1d8-2: [7]-2 = 5 , Wild !!1d6-2: [6]-2 = 4
and signals @Cantrell where they are.

The three warriors, Cantrell, @Rolani, and Kharis spread out, taking cover and scouting the area. Kharis leaves his machine gun where it is, on its strap hanging along his back, and instead draws the massive blade of enchanted steel from its sheath. Best to be quiet until it’s really time to be loud.

Within the first hour, they encounter some minor beasts; a pack of massive wolves (Kharis would have called them “dire wolves” back home) sniffing around and stalking them through the woods.

It doesn’t even take killing one to convince the pack to back off, though. After another hour of trailing them, the wolves disappear, either having found easier prey or having decided the small group of warriors just wasn’t worth the trouble. Predators know predators.

When they come across the band of CS, Kharis looks to Cantrell, awaiting his new commander’s orders.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani follows through the rift and joins the others. Not being familiar with the region, she waits at alert while Kharis determines where they are, relative to their final destination.

Dealing with the Wolves is relatively simple, she loads her rail gun with a "blank" and fires it, it simply makes a loud noise, but the wolves know enough to flee. While not as impressively loud as a Boom Gun, it is loud enough to frighten off animals. Her alien metabolism with its high proportion of metals probably does not smell edible anyway.

The CS forces are another question, "These are not going to scare off easily. If there is one of us who seems to be their kind, perhaps we can parley, explain we are hunting demons. Perhaps they can be persuaded either to assist, or that what we are doing is likely suicidal but letting us attack first may weaken the enemy so they can get the glory, and the credit for beating us both, all for less effort?"

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

Cantrell nods when Kharis indicates they've been dropped off at the expected coordinates.

"Deployment's on target, that's always a good sign. Hopefully our reinforcements fare as well," she says. She didn't like leaving Castle Refuge without a full squad, but at a certain point, she'd learned not to argue. The plan would work, or it wouldn't. The battlefield would change and they'd come up with a new plan.

She sends a couple of warning shots of her own after the wolves, but keeps her eyes on he canopy -- she'd noticed some creeper vines moving in a way that didn't seem entirely natural. Sure enough, her enhanced sight (it was still weird as hell, but she supposed she was seeing magical auras now) picked up some sort of psionic communication between the vines and the wolves.

Probably trying to herd us into some kind of trap. Not sure if it'd be worse to be eaten by wolves, or a sentient tree limb.

The Coalition patrol is a more straightforward problem, though not insurmountable.

"I could probably call in a favor, if I really needed to," she says, not offering much more in the way of explanation to her new companions. "Probably easier to keep them at arm's length. Though if we can keep them in our vicinity, we might be able to use them to tie up a mutual enemy later."

Thinking back to her commando training, she starts pulling together sticks and dead branches, forming them into a small pyre, then surrounding that with green leaves and foliage. She gets it lit, but it isn't producing the smoke she'd hoped for.

Survival 3, needs an assist
Survival 1d4: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6: [1] = 1
"Kharis, my woodcraft's a little rusty -- would you give me a hand? I'd like to get a small fire going, enough to put up a bunch of smoke but stacked so it will burn itself out without the whole forest catching fire. Odds are that Coalition patrol will come investigate. If we set another fire every couple of clicks, we may be able to lead them after us, at a distance."
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani notes, "My people are nomads, we understand how to live off the land. Would you like me to do it?"

She thinks, I did not mention survival skills because it was too obvious, but perhaps I should have.

If granted permission, she will attempt the task.
OOC Comments
Survival 1d8!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild Survival 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis nods to @Cantrell, but he’s a little too slow; by the time he’s started moving, @Rolani has already jumped in to help and the fire is smoldering nicely.

Better eager soldiers than reluctant ones.

Kharis helps out with Cantrell’s plan as best he can while they try to lead the Coalition patrol away.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

Dog Boy Squad Survival (Tracking) 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Dog Boy Squad Survival (Tracking) Group Roll 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3


It takes very little time for the S.E.T. to identify the Coalition forces and lure them. Though the Coalition forces do investigate and follow the heroes, they seem almost relaxed about it. The dog-boy pack not chasing and getting riled up, instead the pursuit seems almost leisurely. Twice Rolani caught two members of the small group breaking off, running ahead and trying to get in close to the War Breakers. A strange tactic, but one she easily avoids.

The efforts also reward the team with the opportunity to spot the first settlement. A small village with what seems to be only a few hundred villagers, however upon closing in one the village they see they are not humanoids, instead some sort of gargoyle like winged reptilians. The males have large frills around their face, and horns. The young and the females possessing more muted features.

As they go about their business it becomes obvious the society is a warrior one, aggressive play, and heavy meat based diet. Their structures are crude and built of the local materials with little evidence of advanced technology normally found save for the laser weapons and vibro-blades laying about.


Determine if or how you will approach the settlement. Do you warn them of the CS in the area, do you try to lead the CS away.

Approaching them without conflict will require Intimidation +0 or Persuasion -2 and the ability to speak unknown languages such as a Universal translator or a Speak Languages spell. Using a universal translator will add -2 to persuasion as the device needs time to start picking up the strange new language.

Maybe some creativity for communicating with them can remove the penalty?

Survival -2 can identify the race.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Survival 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5 , Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
, but unfortunately does not have a way to communicate with them.

Once he knows, he'll tell the team.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani comments, "I think, judging by the way they are acting, that the patrol wants to speak with us. Perhaps one of us should do so."

When she sights the D-bees , she tries to recall what they are...
OOC Comments
Woodsman edge grants a +2 on survival rolls, that will cancel out the -2 situational modifier.
Survival 1d8!!: [5] = 5
Wild Survival 1d6!!: [3] = 3

If I am not mistaken, these creatures are Gromek, a species from the Palladium Fantasy Universe that, a long time ago, had an advanced magical civilization and fell to barbarism.
Rolani says, "If I am not mistaken, these are Gromek. I met a member of the species once in my travels. I could try speaking to them."

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

Cantrell didn't recognize the D-Bees Rolani identified as Gromek, though she recognized the culture. War-like, with a chip on their shoulders they'd probably refer to as 'honor.' Not too different from the Coalition, in that respect, though the two would likely mix as well as oil and water. Or, more likely, oil and fire.

"Yeah, seems like parlay may be the best option, but we're going to want to keep these guys as far away from the Coalition troops as possible, at least for now. If the two of you want to try to make contact with these Gromek, I can hang back and let a couple of those Dog Boy scouts "catch up" to me for a chat. If anything goes wrong, I'll come running and we'll let the CS and these big boys here distract each other."
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Cantrell wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:38 am

"Yeah, seems like parlay may be the best option, but we're going to want to keep these guys as far away from the Coalition troops as possible, at least for now. If the two of you want to try to make contact with these Gromek, I can hang back and let a couple of those Dog Boy scouts "catch up" to me for a chat. If anything goes wrong, I'll come running and we'll let the CS and these big boys here distract each other."
Kharis nods. "Seems reasonable to me. @Rolani, you have some experience with these sentients? Can you communicate with them? I'm afraid I only speak American and a trade language from back home that would be pretty useless at the moment."

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani's antennae droop, "The one I met spoke American, he did not teach me his language."

She had not thought of that difficulty, but perhaps she might remember enough cultural cues from the previous encounter to at least convey a lack of hostility and warn them of danger.
OOC Comments
Not sure what is possible here. Could she have picked up a few words...some gestures, or anything that would help?

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis Spends a Benny
Per conversation on discord, spending a benny to influence the story and find a sorcerer who speaks American.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

As the heroes approach the Gromek tribe they hold themselves well and easily manage to look both confident enough to ensure safety, while calm enough not to merit an immediate battle. However the creatures begin getting more and more agitated as time goes buy without someone to translate when an older, and larger male comes forward. Eyeing the team and hearing them he looks to two others of his tribe and then saying some incantations and smearing a yellow liquid across his own and their forehead. Suddenly one of them speaks up. “Why do you come to our place of rest strangers. My people want me to kill you, but the Elder says we must speak first.”

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani states, "Greetings warrior, we seek only passage through your lands as we travel on our way to a fight with a great demon and his allies. We knew not of your presence until we came upon you. I was thinking, just now, that if any of your young warriors are seeking to earn a name for themselves, they might do well to join our quest. The battle is sure to be grande and the victory one to be sung about for generations."

She is thinking, These Gromek are a warrior culture much like my own, a bit of flattery and a challenge and some of them might join us.
OOC Comments
Persuasion: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild Persuasion 1d6!!: [11!!] = 11
Dice rolls
1d8!!: [7] = 7

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

Cantrell finds some elevated ground with good sight-lines to wait for the Dog Boy scouts to "catch up." She thinks about setting up some deadfalls or other booby traps, but if things go south and she needs to discourage pursuit, shooting them in the legs will be faster and more certain.

She keeps her radio on in case the others got into trouble with the Gromeks, but didn't interject into the conversation, which sounded like a bunch of grunts and growls and whistles on her end.

Remembering that her new "powers" probably have her smelling like a pile of barbecue to a Dog Boy, she concentrates and does her best to mask her aura.

12 to cast Conceal Arcana, Strong modifier adds -2 to Notice.
Casts Conceal Arcana with the Strong modifier. 2 PPE.

Spellcasting 1d8+2: [5]+2 = 7
Wild 1d6+2: [6]+2 = 8 = Ace 1d6+8: [4]+8 = 12
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis gives a slight bow of the head and removes his helmet, a clear sign of his intention to parlay. Seeing no reason to try and derail @Rolani's tactic, Kharis joins in.

"If ever there was a time for warriors, it's now. Though perhaps only your best and bravest; this particular demon is best hunted in a small group."

Persuasion 4, +1 to Rolani's Roll
1d8!+1: [2]+1 = 3 , Wild 1d6!+1: [3]+1 = 4

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

Cantrell wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:55 am
Cantrell finds some elevated ground with good sight-lines to wait for the Dog Boy scouts to "catch up." She thinks about setting up some deadfalls or other booby traps, but if things go south and she needs to discourage pursuit, shooting them in the legs will be faster and more certain.

She keeps her radio on in case the others got into trouble with the Gromeks, but didn't interject into the conversation, which sounded like a bunch of grunts and growls and whistles on her end.

Remembering that her new "powers" probably have her smelling like a pile of barbecue to a Dog Boy, she concentrates and does her best to mask her aura.
The wait for the approach was a long one taking over an hour with a couple of false starts. Finally when they do approach they attempt to sneak in behind you and surprise you.
Roll notice versus their efforts to see if they succeed, I assume they do not.
Group Stealth Heavy Coverage Wilderness Scouts 1d8!!+6: [4]+6 = 10 Group Stealth Wild 1d6!!+6: [5]+6 = 11
From where they hid as they approach the lead Psi-Stalker speaks up. "Major Keele wants me to speak with your team and deliver a message. We do not want trouble from your people. We are here hunting something far worse that was thought destroyed already.

"If your people do not interfere with our hunt of cyborgs, we will not hunt you." The last of the words come out with a bitterness, making it obvious that once they smelled the trail of the legionnaires, the psi-stalker had already planned on eating them.

The pack that was foolish enough to close in on you is average size only 9 dog-boys and 1 psi-stalker. Appraising them Cantrell is certain she is in no real danger.

@Cantrell
If you would like to communicate with their leader you can. They will allow the use of a radio, you can tell they are following orders the psi-stalker does not like. They are unable to sense your arcane nature, but they know there is a food source in your group.


Rolani wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:59 am
Rolani states, "Greetings warrior, we seek only passage through your lands as we travel on our way to a fight with a great demon and his allies. We knew not of your presence until we came upon you. I was thinking, just now, that if any of your young warriors are seeking to earn a name for themselves, they might do well to join our quest. The battle is sure to be grande and the victory one to be sung about for generations."
Kharis wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:50 pm
"If ever there was a time for warriors, it's now. Though perhaps only your best and bravest; this particular demon is best hunted in a small group."
The large warriors affected by the yellow icur look at the heroes, then to each other. After a few moments of what must be silent communication the larger of the two speaks up. "Hurn, who slayed the drake. Your people have no names here. You cannot be great warriors, until such a thing is known."

The smaller of the two warriors comes forward and spreads his wings, letting out a great bellow! Then Hurn speaks again. "Hurn, who slayed the drake. I speak that this warrior may try and earn a name among us. Gharsrid, who saved the people, say they should not be killed." The young adolescent through down his weapons and removes his armor as circles around to appraise the two of you. "Hurn, who slayed the drake asks do you wish to earn a name and be heard?"

The challenge is common for some hunter tribes, but foolish. They whish for your to brawl with them, should you be victorious you will be allowed to speak. If you are defeated, you will likely need to leave or earn a name by killing a great beast of some sort.

BEFORE POSTING STATE IN HANGOUT WHO YOU ARE FIGHTING.
@Rolani and @Kharis
Hurn who slayed the drake is an old master of battle. To earn a name versus him you will need to roll higher than he does. You must fight without weapons and armor.
This is a dramatic task, you are grappling/fighting him.
Hurn, who slayed the drake Athletics 1d12!!+2: [8]+2 = 10 Hurn's wild die 1d6!!+2: [8!!]+2 = 10


The unnamed warrior will be easier to grapple/fight.
Unnamed Athletics 1d8!!: [5] = 5 Unnamed Wild die 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9


Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis smiles knowingly and begins removing his armor, clearly accepting the challenge.

He turns and holds his hand out towards @Rolani, fist closed, in the universally accepted sign of “let’s play rock, paper, scissors.”

”Match you for who gets to fight the big guy?”

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani comments to Kharis, "This is clearly intended to be a combat without weapons, it matters now which of us faces which of them, but we need to make certain of the rules."

She is taking off her gear, even as she speaks.

She turns to the two challengers and states, "That there be no accidental infraction of the rules, it is best to be clear what those rules are. For example, my kind share our lives with other kinds who are living creatures of metal and stone. I can no more remove them for a test than you could remove your wings. These creatures give me claws and keen senses as well as a toughened and strengthened body."

She will add, "As example, my ally wishes to do a harmless contest to decide which of us faces which of you. As it is not a contest my people do, I must check that the rules I know of are the ones he plays by."

She turns to Kharis again, "Flat hand bests fist. fist bests two spread fingers, two spread fingers bests flat? Start as fist and say 'rock...rock..rock' before the final is shown?"

When the rules are agreed upon, she will throw Scissors.

She will wait, after, for the Gromek to declare if there are any rules that need to be observed.

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

1= paper, 2=rock 1d2: [1] = 1
and says, ”well, I guess I get the little one.”

He rolls his shoulders and cracks his neck, getting loose and waiting to hear a response to @Rolani’s questions before getting started.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

Sitting among the trees waiting for the CS scouts to arrive, Cantrell reaches out with her senses, absorbing the sounds of birdsong and the rustling of the vegetation in ways that are distinctly different than when she relied on cyberware to focus her attention.

Not so ... detached. Like I could almost get inside the head of that hawk I hear gliding above, or speed up the heartbeat of squirrel over ... GAAAH, SONOFABITCH!
Notice 1d8!!+4: [1]+4 = 5
Wild 1d6!!+4: [1]+4 = 5

Oh, give me a break. TD roll 1d6: [1] = 1 = Glitch


Cantrell groans and cradles her head as something pops, like she somehow overextended a muscle in her brain. She's still nursing the migraine, tears in her eyes, when the Dog Pack appears behind her.

Great watching out there, Lieutenant. Real hero of the Legion, letting a bunch of rookies on their first patrol climb up your six.

She grimaces and does her best attempt a salute, certain blood must be dripping from her ears.

"Well met, Sergeant. Got an eyeful of D-bee dust or something, or I'd have greeted you down below," she says. "I appreciate your Major's willingness to parlay. The ones I'm traveling have no quarrel with you, and I've got a feeling the 'cyborgs' you're hunting are the same alien robots we're trying to stop. If what I've heard is true, there are more than enough for both of us. No reason we can't stay out of each other's way and each bag our fill.

"If you've got a walkie, I'll talk to you commander and maybe we can work something out."


Grudgingly, the psi-stalker hands over a comm unit. Putting on her best "between you and me" voice, Cantrell drops in enough CS Special Forces lingo to be sure the Major knows he's dealing with a veteran of the Empire.
Persuasion 1d8!!+2: [9!!]+2 = 11
Wild 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6


"Enemy of my enemy and all that, Major. We'll stay clear of yours and you stay clear of ours, and maybe our collective search and destroy efforts get the last of these roaches this time. What d'you say?"

Once she's got the Major's response, Cantrell returns the comm to the Psi-Stalker and gives him and wishes him and his squad good hunting, before heading north again by a circuitous route. Along the way, she does her best to re-center and gain a sort of arcane focus that brings her vision back into focus, banishing the mystical migraine.



Repair takes 1d6: [6] = 6 x5 = 30 minutes, using Spellcasting

Spellcasting 1d8!!+2: [2]+2 = 4 Oops, should have been a -1 on that, so fails
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3

Benny to reroll +Elan

Spellcasting 1d8!!+3: [5]+3 = 8 = Success
Wild 1d6!!+3: [4]+3 = 7
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani thinks the fight is probably fair enough, her combat skills and size make the larger enemy, Hurn the Drake Slayer, a fairly even match. This is wrestling, so the goal is to achieve a pin.

Rolani is quite difficult to pin, despite her weight she is anything but slow and clumsy. She assumes her foe will be equally tough.

She thinks, The greatest difficulty is likely to be the enemy's ability to fly giving them a superior three-dimensional mobility. The wings do, however, make a broad target for a grab, though they also make an extra pair of limbs to be held.

She moves in slowly at first, waiting for him to make his move. She is likely to be faster and more mobile than he expects in a ground pounder.
OOC Comments
Fighting d12+2 (counting Martial Warrior edge), can make 2 attacks a round without penalty because of Two-fisted and Ambidextrous.

Fighting 1: 1d12!!+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Wild Fighting 1: 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Fighting 2: 1d12!!+2: [10]+2 = 12 . Wild Fighting 2: 1d6!!+2: [8!!]+2 = 10

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Done stripping down, Kharis gingerly places the last piece of his Battler Armor to the ground and gives a signal that he is read. When the unnamed warrior moves, Kharis immediately notices a flaw in the fighter's footwork and takes advantage, shooting the leg and getting his arms locked almost as fast as the eye can track. He twists the man into an odd, half vertical position, and then gets his own legs around one wing, leveraging all his not-insignificant weight to bring the fighter off balance and to the ground.

Athletics 1d10!: [9] = 9 , Wild 1d6!: [6!, 6!, 6!, 6!, 6!, 2] = 32
with Kharis the clear victor.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

Cantrell wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 pm
Grudgingly, the psi-stalker hands over a comm unit. Putting on her best "between you and me" voice, Cantrell drops in enough CS Special Forces lingo to be sure the Major knows he's dealing with a veteran of the Empire.

"Enemy of my enemy and all that, Major. We'll stay clear of yours and you stay clear of ours, and maybe our collective search and destroy efforts get the last of these roaches this time. What d'you say?"
The Psi-Stalker is not happy about it, and it shows on his face when Major Keele replies back to @Cantrell. "With what we are hunting, perhaps a better arrangement would be if either us us see anything to let the other know. We will keep someone monitoring common channel 9, if we see them in any significant numbers we will broadcast the location so your team can get the word out. And vice versa. Can you work with that?"
Kharis wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:24 am
Done stripping down, Kharis gingerly places the last piece of his Battler Armor to the ground and gives a signal that he is read. When the unnamed warrior moves, Kharis immediately notices a flaw in the fighter's footwork and takes advantage, shooting the leg and getting his arms locked almost as fast as the eye can track. He twists the man into an odd, half vertical position, and then gets his own legs around one wing, leveraging all his not-insignificant weight to bring the fighter off balance and to the ground.
and
Rolani wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:27 pm
Rolani is quite difficult to pin, despite her weight she is anything but slow and clumsy. She assumes her foe will be equally tough.

She thinks, The greatest difficulty is likely to be the enemy's ability to fly giving them a superior three-dimensional mobility. The wings do, however, make a broad target for a grab, though they also make an extra pair of limbs to be held.

She moves in slowly at first, waiting for him to make his move. She is likely to be faster and more mobile than he expects in a ground pounder.
The two warriors stand up as they separate from the team. The smaller unnamed gromek warrior walks away sulking. The glare he gives @Kharis is one that passes through without words. An enemy was made this day for certain. Hurn, who slayed the drake, however seems to accept being defeated in stride. Clapping @Rolani on the back and greeting her with open arms. Even brining @Kharis in to the fold.

As the heroes are taken inside to meet and drink with the gromek the three of them find the place seems a lot like any other place they have been. More overt aggression overall. But generally the same. What makes no sense is many of their weapons and armor are modern rifts equipment, but concealed cosmetically to look like ancient counter parts. It seems the gromek are only presenting the image of primatives.

The visiting and discussion goes on into the night the gromek not willing to speak of anything business related until the heroes eat and drink with them. But once the formality is over it is as if life long allies reunited. While among them you find there are already outsiders in their camp. More than willing to visit someone other than the warlike gromek.
Instructions
Post an interlude of your evening and earn a benny.
Please include a notice roll for the ambush in the morning after you leave.

Each of you may ask a question from the gromek and I will try to answer it as well as they can.

@Stoic and @Elliot post up

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani watches the combat between Kharis and the youngster, and frowns. Beating a warrior by a slim margin tends to win their respect, but trouncing them with apparent ease will tend to humiliate them. If it were her, she would have chosen to hold back, and then privately taken the youth aside and explained the flaw in his defense.

She can not make any suggestions for how to handle the situation, as she has her own fight to win. She does so, after a first inconclusive exchange her speed provides her the upper hand. It being a close match, she won the respect of her opponent.

Rolani spends much of the evening exchanging tales of her own previous battles with the Gromek. As well as eating and drinking a great deal. Fortunately her symbiotes prevent her from being effected by poisons, including alcohol.

She requests the presence of the young Gromek who fought Kharis for her last tale.

"Some time ago, I was om patrol in the lands to the east ore people claim, when my patrol encountered enemies unlike any they had faced before. Creatures who were like us in that they were of two parts, metal and flesh, joined as one. We fought, my companion and steed, whom I had raised and trained from a kit, was shot out from under me. My patrol was slain to the last, and I was badly hurt. I longed to keep fighting, to join the others in the peace of death. Instead, I had to do my duty, to return to my people and warn of this enemy who fought without mercy or honor. I was shamed before my people for the loss of my steed. They left me my name, and the right to return when I had redeemed myself. I set out armed with only what the givers gave me, and have gained all I now have by fighting and taking tokens of victory from fallen foes. I recently heard that those who destroyed my patrol have allied with a demon...the very demon we now seek. The enemy are very tough, as I have cause to know. Any who joins us and survives will have earned all they get."


She looks at the still-nameless youth, letting him know she understands what it means to be humiliated...and that she would welcome him if he decides to join them.
OOC Comments
Notice: 1d6!!+4: [3]+4 = 7 , Wild Notice: 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6 (that was supposed to be +4, so it should be an 8)

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis gives a nod to the young warrior glaring back at him. It's respectful, but he understands; he grew up in a warrior culture, and the youth will take this loss personally. It is to be expected. In truth, Kharis had expected the bout to be much more difficult, especially without the aid of magic, and so hadn't held back.

He dons his armor and grabs his gear and follows when they are beckoned to come along. Soon, his misgivings about the fight are behind him, as he drinks and laughs with the Gromek as he has done before with the elves of home, with the cornucopia of races of the Three Galaxies, and with the humans and D-Bees of Dweomer. Everywhere, warriors are the same. High stress and adrenaline lend themselves to hard relaxation.

When he notices the weapons, he asks. "Who is this for? The deception? Anyone in particular? Do you have regular enemies out in these parts"

He has a few too many, and his head hurts in the morning the way it used to when traveling through FTL. "Ugh," he declares eloquently.

Notice 1d8!: [3] = 3 , Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

The Psi-Stalker is not happy about it, and it shows on his face when Major Keele replies back to Cantrell. "With what we are hunting, perhaps a better arrangement would be if either us us see anything to let the other know. We will keep someone monitoring common channel 9, if we see them in any significant numbers we will broadcast the location so your team can get the word out. And vice versa. Can you work with that?"
"I think that works on my end. Common Channel 9 it is. Just hold off on calling in the nukes, you know?" She winks at the Dog Boys and tosses back the radio, before taking a long and circuitous route back to the D-bee camp where she'd left Kharis and Rolani.

Once there, she picks her way carefully through the remnants of some sort of ritual combat/feast/male bonding debacle.

"Boys," she says, finding Kharis curled up, drunk, several feet from his rucksack. Unpacking her own kit, she finds and out-of-the-way place to bed down, where it's unlikely any late partiers are likely to stumble over her. She keeps her pistol under her pillow, just in case -- sometimes the boys had to learn the hard way.
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

As the heroes spend the night the events seem fare and well laid out.



I am starting a New thread for rolling out, but leaving this one open for if the other two players ever post you will all have an open RP thread.
OOC Comments
Um @Deezy Klatta Where you going to post and join or not?

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

Rolani wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:58 pm
She requests the presence of the young Gromek who fought Kharis for her last tale.

"Some time ago, I was om patrol in the lands to the east ore people claim, when my patrol encountered enemies unlike any they had faced before. Creatures who were like us in that they were of two parts, metal and flesh, joined as one. We fought, my companion and steed, whom I had raised and trained from a kit, was shot out from under me. My patrol was slain to the last, and I was badly hurt. I longed to keep fighting, to join the others in the peace of death. Instead, I had to do my duty, to return to my people and warn of this enemy who fought without mercy or honor. I was shamed before my people for the loss of my steed. They left me my name, and the right to return when I had redeemed myself. I set out armed with only what the givers gave me, and have gained all I now have by fighting and taking tokens of victory from fallen foes. I recently heard that those who destroyed my patrol have allied with a demon...the very demon we now seek. The enemy are very tough, as I have cause to know. Any who joins us and survives will have earned all they get."


She looks at the still-nameless youth, letting him know she understands what it means to be humiliated...and that she would welcome him if he decides to join them.
The young warrior listens to Rolani as she shares her own experience and how she was shamed, and is herself now earning the honor to return. The invitation to join them is a temptation for the warrior. He struggles to understand her, but the talisman the shaman made him earlier had not faded all of its magic yet. "Gharsrid, who saved the people, may send the nameless with you. The nameless would fight for a name." The short speech by the young warrior ends and he stands and leaves. Later in the evening Rolani can see him speaking with Gharsrid, who saved the people obviously asking for and receiving a blessing to go with the strangers.

Kharis wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:17 pm
When he notices the weapons, he asks. "Who is this for? The deception? Anyone in particular? Do you have regular enemies out in these parts"

He has a few too many, and his head hurts in the morning the way it used to when traveling through FTL. "Ugh," he declares eloquently.

Notice 1d8!: [3] = 3 , Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5
Hurn, who slayed the drake look at Kharis as if the question seemed strange for a moment. "When the people came to this place I was young and the people of this world easy killed many of our warriors in our first battle. But we returned in the night and while many of the people where sleeping slew them and took what they had as our right. Many more died learning to use them, but now we know the weapons of this world. But our people will not forsake who we are simply because we have the weapons stolen from the death men. We will use their tools, but still know that we are the people."
Cantrell wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:04 pm
"Boys," she says, finding Kharis curled up, drunk, several feet from his rucksack. Unpacking her own kit, she finds and out-of-the-way place to bed down, where it's unlikely any late partiers are likely to stumble over her. She keeps her pistol under her pillow, just in case -- sometimes the boys had to learn the hard way.
Cantrell finds herself unable to rest as she beds down, the energy in the air affecting her in a way that is invigorating.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

User avatar
Kharis
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Kharis »

Kharis nods to @Cantrell. ”Boss,” he says by way of greeting, before nodding back off.

Kharis, Elven Battle Magus
Pace: 8; Parry: 7 normally, 8 w/either sword or .50 cal equipped, 9 w/both swords; Toughness: 17(6); Strain: 0; Size: +1
Edges/Attributes of Note: Berserk; D-Bee; Racial Animosity (Dwarves)
Character Sheet

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Elliot »

Elliot abruptly appears at the edge of the group. The Gromek are startled, but Elliot's complete lack of a threat prevents them from attacking, for now. Elliot puts his hands in the air, to show they are empty (nevermind the Naruni rifle slung over his back). "It's fine, I'm with them." Without waiting for a response he puts his hands down and walks over to the rest of the group. "They told me to find you, I'm Elliot." Be doesn't offer a hand, but will shake any extended to him. He looks familiar. You've seen him around the Castle for as long as you remember, but you're a bit surprised to see that he is a Legionnaire himself. You thought maybe he was acquainted with one of the higher ups as he always seemed to be around the fringes of power but, here he is. He's pretty quiet for the most part but when he does speak his voice is loud and clear, very confident.

User avatar
Rolani
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Rolani »

Rolani's keen senses overhear the conversation about the weapons. It seems sensible to her, retain traditions to honor the past and have the weapons disguised to surprise a foe at the same time.

Rolani was not sleeping when @Cantrell joined them, but she was resting. Sleeping is something Shemarrians do not do, but they do rest and regenerate resources. It is just they retain much more awareness while they are doing so.

She nodded to show she was aware of her ally and remained on resting watch.

When @Elliot appeared, Rolani had her rail gun in hand and was prepared to act the moment she became aware of someone arriving. She paused long enough to remember seeing him before, at Castle Refuge.

She comments, "Be grateful you are recognized as an Ally. It would be wasteful to expend ammunition on you."

User avatar
Cantrell
Posts: 419
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Cantrell »

Finding herself strangely invigorated, Cantrell finally gives up on getting any sleep. Repacking her bed roll, she spends some time cleaning her already pristine weapons. So it is she is sitting with a gun in hand when Elliott arrives.

"Welcome," she says, recognizing him from Castle Refuge. "I think you missed the big party, but there's probably still something to drink somewhere, if you want to chance it. Otherwise I think we'll roll out soon, and see what we can find of these murder-bots they sent us after."
Nadya Cantrell
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 4/3
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note: Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.), Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out), Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table), Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting), Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes), Dodge (-2 to be hit at range), Elan (+2 on rerolls), Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout), Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative), Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)[/list]

PPE: 15/15
Current Effects:

User avatar
Elliot
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:26 am

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Elliot »

Elliot shakes his head "I appreciate the offer, but not much of a drinker. If we're gonna roll out soon, I'm going to take a power nap." He finds a comfortable spot and sets his old worn backpack on the ground, resting his head on it. He falls asleep almost instantly.

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 3866
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 02 Welcome to the Fist of the North

Post by Ndreare »

With issues here settled the team has an opportunity to get some well seasoned and braised meats in the morning and headout.

As they gather and are saying their good buys to the team the nameless young warrior walks over, ready and proud to join the team. As he approaches @Rolani can hear him whispering to sme loved ones that he will return and have a great name. The blessing placed on him by the shamen seems to have changed something about him, as he now looks even more capable than before.
The Coalition weapons and armor he wears has been heavily modified to allow for the larger frame, however the result was sacrificing the environmental protections and missing the full coverage as pieces needed cut, sometimes in half to fit the larger warriors. The scene can be disturbing when one considered the only way to have acquired the armor was through the death of a CS soldier.

This character will be controlled by the Party during combat. He is a Wildcard and has 2 bennies the players may use on his behalf.

Nameless
Iconic Framework: Blessed Warrior (Wilderness Scout)
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8,
Strength d12+1, Vigor d10
Skills: Athletics d110, Common Knowledge d8, Fighting d10, Notice d10, Persuasion d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d8, Survival d10
Pace: 8/12 flying; Parry: 6; Toughness: 16 (6)
Hindrances: Heroic, Impulsive, Stubborn
Edges: Brawny, Brute, Fleet-Footed, Martial Warrior, Steady Hands, Woodsman
Gear: Heavily modified CA-1 armor (+6 Armor, +2 Toughness, not EBA)
C-14 “Fire Breather (Range 24/48/96, Damage 4d6, RoF 1, AP 3, Shots 20 x2 extra magazines; Note; Notes: Integral grenade launcher (18/36/72, Shots 12, damage by grenade type), integrated Multi-Optics Scope.)
Vibro-Longsword (Str+d10 Mega Damage, AP 8).



THIS THREAD IS STILL OPEN RP.

Phase World - The Remorseless Game Master Bennies 8;
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +8 Players



Nightbane Game Master Bennies 0,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +0 ADVENTURE Reset

Legendary: Death Seekers Game Master Bennies 5,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +5 Players

Legendary: War Breakers Game Master Bennies 4,
July 20, 2020 update
Mission: Up in The Air
  • +4 Players





Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000]Initiative without rerolls.
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions.
[list][*][b]Quick rerolls 16 or less[/b]
[*][b]Quickness with a Raise rerolls 24 or less (SWD only)[/b]
[*]53, 54, 55, 56 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 56 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]




  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!
[/inline] "Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell

Post Reply

Return to “Legendary War Breakers Adventures”