Baddass Mofo Interlude of Awesome

Adventures of The Nameless
hobo joe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Baddass Mofo Interlude of Awesome

Post by hobo joe »

FAR FROM THEIR LAND THEY MADE THEIR STAND

Of course, the Nameless return to Castle Refuge, for now, but quickly they will return to their mission, however loosely defined that might be...

INTERLUDES!
Chevy - Clubs (Tragedy)
Zima - Spades (Victory)
Whisper - Diamonds (Desire)
Awktek - Clubs (Tragedy)
Egil - Hearts (Love)
Adam's replacement? - Hearts (Love*)
Suit Descriptions
  • Spades (Victory): Tell the group about a great victory or personal triumph in your adventurer’s past. How did it affect him afterward? Was there a reward?
  • Hearts (Love): Speak fondly of the character’s greatest love—lost, found, or waiting on him back home. What is her name? Where does she live? Why is the traveler not with her now?
  • Diamonds (Desire): Tell a tale about something your hero wants (or already has). It might be a material possession, recognition, a political goal, or even a trip he wishes to take to some amazing destination.
  • Clubs (Tragedy): Describe a tale of tragedy or misfortune from your hero’s past [or present], featuring one of his Hindrances if possible. If the teller has a dark secret of some kind, hint strongly at it, drop clues, or otherwise give the rest of the group a glimpse into your hero’s dark side during your narrative.
Task:
Using the prompt above, post a response in this thread describing an interlude. This can be from the trip back to Castle Refuge from Garnet Town. It can be a side trip the character took on that return trip or while at Castle Refuge. They have approximately four weeks back at the home base. Say two weeks of travel back from Garnet Town. Those times are guidelines, take liberties for AWESOME if you need to.

And that round at Garnet Town was amazing, totally awesome. I didn't have anything I could add to make that exit any better, +2 Bennies each. Here's the CHALLENGE: if each one of these interludes is as good as the last Garnet Town posts, I will take away one GM Benny for each awesome. Fun!

Questions?

Moving on means new theme? What will it be?
Jarvis Ursus
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Baddass Mofo Interlude of Awesome

Post by Jarvis Ursus »

OOC Comments
Notice [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]

Permanent Effects: +2 Notice and Tracking, Uncanny Reflexes -2 to hit, +2 Shooting
As the ‘Bop makes it way back to Castle Refuge, Egil is constantly messing with the radio and sound system. For the most part, Chevy is patient with him and Whisper keeps to herself in the back. The few times they can agree on music, Egil switches to asking what the various controls do or simply asking ‘Are we there yet?’. At one point Egil is skipping through music and the sound systems belts out:

Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est
Fa-fa-fa-fa, fa-fa-fa-fa-fa, far better
Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away
Psycho killer, qu'est-ce que c'est
Fa-fa-fa-fa, fa-fa-fa-fa-fa, far better
Run, run, run, run, run, run, run away

Chevy sighs and reaches for the dial, but this time Egils hand snaps out and grabs the Operator by the forearm. All of a sudden the mood in the ‘Bop turns cool. The psi-stalker isn’t kidding around and he’s switched from harmlessly looney to sociopathic predator.

“Leave it.”

Chevy obliges and lets the song play through. Once its finished Egil is silent for another moment before he starts speaking. It's the most lucid anyone has ever heard the psi-stalker.

“That song brings me back. You know I wasn’t always like this, right? There was a time before I had all this metal in my head. They say that it’s better to love and lost than to never have loved at all. My response to that is: Try it.

Most of the time, everything goin’ on in my head keeps me from remembering. Maybe that’s why I did it, I dunno. The reasons and the how are always fuzzy, but this song always brings back the time before ‘the Edge’ into clarity.

“Steffi and I grew up together. Our ‘tribe’ wasn’t very tribal and we tended to roam the outskirts of civilization enjoying its comforts when we could. That was few and far between as we never had any money. Still, I couldn’t be happier. We did everything together. Steffi always called the shots, because I was so smitten I would face a charging Rhino Buffalo for her. Problem was, I never told her that.

“We had set up on the outskirts of the ‘Burbs and Steffi disappeared for a while. At first it was no big deal, we routinely went out on our own to hunt. I have a weakness for spicy foods and sometimes get a hankerin’ for a Burster. Steffi was more refined and preferred Mystics. Anyway, a week went by and I was devastated. I thought she either left me or something worse.

“When she finally showed up, she was so excited. I’ll never forget her happiness that day. She could barely contain herself and said she had some great news. I was just glad she was back and a little annoyed that she had been gone so long.

“Thing is, I’d also worked up the courage to tell her how I really felt and to me that was the most important thing that needed to be discussed. So when she showed me that black, skeletal armor with the spiked helmet, I lost it. Not like I do now, where I turn into a super badass, but really lost my temper. I told her every hateful thing I could about the Coalition and that it now applied to her as she was now part of it.

“Never spoke to her again. Don’t even know if she’s still alive. I know they gave her a dog pack. Like most chicks, she loved dogs. I even got so desperate I tried to join the Dead Heads myself. Seems I was already blacklisted, though. Things get real fuzzy after that.”

Egil’s eyes come back into focus, or they get that deranged, simple, look again. It’s not really clear. He goes back to messing with the ‘Bop’s controls and humming to himself.

You know life is hard and dangerous, and sometimes you just gotta chop off somebody's head to survive. That’s my motto. I think we ought to write it in fancy script across the back of the ‘Bop.”
Jarvis Ursus
Jarvis, Kittani Power Armor Pilot
Pace: 18(d10); Parry: 7; Toughness: 21 (9 M.D.C.)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Combat Ace, Uncanny Reflexes, JAPE Defender Power Armor (STS)
ISP: 10/20
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/3
Architect

Post by Architect »

The weeks it took for the Nameless to return to Castle Refuge, no one heard a word from AwkTek except permission to scout ahead. When not in flight he could be found riding the rooftop of the Bop or sitting on the shoulder of the Glitter boy. The young dragon was lost in his own thoughts and lost to the world.

The sight of Castle Refuge did little to brighten his mood regardless of how the other Nameless tried to cheer him up. He spent the days following their return walking the streets in his little human boy form, trying to find happiness in a game of catch with the local castle youth or climbing the impressive walls of the castle with the teenagers. Excitement was gone and AwkTek was a wreck, though no one could see it on the outside.

A week had gone by and AwkTek found himself hungry. Not the kind of hungry that a Rhino Buffalo would cure but something refined and prepared with lots of love and honoring old traditions. So on a street had not been down before, AwkTek found himself in front of a Chinese noodle shop, the kind with only three bar stools in front of it. The kind where the ramen was handmade and the rice noodles, never seemed to have an end.

AwkTek climbed the stool in the middle. As he got atop of the stool and looked up into the the Chinese woman server’s face, a light when on inside his mind and something within his heart began to warm the frozen reaches of his heart. Looking at his surroundings once more, AwkTek was certain that something was familiar.

“Excuse me, ma’am. Do I know you? Have I been here before? Who are you? And what is that you are preparing?”

“Jiànzhú shī, it is good to see you once again.”

Taking his silence in stride the elderly Chinese woman proceeded, “I am Dǎng'àn, the keeper of many secrets. Including, apparently, your true name.”

“The people here call you AwkTek. Maybe that is because you are mispronouncing, Jiànzhú shī. In Americanese it is Architect. You figure out the rest. I must make lunch.”

Turning briefly, “You want something to eat? Sure you do.”

The woman disappears into the small kitchen and dishes can be heard being moved around. A few minutes go by and AwkTek sits transfixed by the sights, sounds, and smells. Finally getting up the nerve to ask a question,the boy AwkTek stands on the stool, leans across the counter as to shout over the noise, just as he is about to ask his question, the old woman shows up with a sizeable platter of food..

“You need something young one?” Dǎng'àn says as she sets a platter down that was meant for someone younger, stronger, and more agile to carry it.

Having the tray of food pushed in front of him, literally forced him to take his seat. Staring at the food, hearing his dragon-sized stomach growl, and realizing that he had no idea what was happening, AwkTek waved off what he was going to say and began eating.

Something smelled of salt and had a rich silky taste to it. There were large portions of two, meats, and AwkTek took to each separately at first. He then, tried them together, and the flavors melded together and tasted amazing. When he had finished eating, he looked to Dǎng'àn, the questions he wished to ask were at the front of his mind and on the tip of his tongue.

Before he could speak, Dǎng'àn raised a hand. “Young one, it is best you listen, time is short and I need to move along. Other customers to serve, you understand.”

“You have done well hiding here. Those who hunt you, know not where you are.”

Passing a plate of oranges, sliced, she motions for AwkTek to eat. “The Dragon and Phoenix represent the balance of two great powers. Your home was such a balance. Delicate. Tenuous. Easily perched to tip either direction with the changing of fortunes.”

“Those forces were the Dragon Lords of China and those of the Green Scarf Sect. A few years ago power began tipping in favor of the Sect. They had secured otherworldly help, demons, deevils, and much much more.”

“The Great Courts of China were being enslaved over the course of the last five or so years. The Jade Emerald Court was the last to fall. Among them were your parents. This was a little over a year ago. I believe you arrived here about that time as well.”

“Your parents are alive but remain captured,” touching her chest, AwkTek can detect that Madam Dǎng'àn wears a necklace of some sort. “Yes, they still live. In time, you will need to look into returning them.”

“Use caution with your true name as it was the means for capturing your parents. Worry not young one, your parents will live for a long while in captivity, killing them will achieve nothing.”

AwkTek is torn between hope and despair. On the verge of tears and loosing forth horrid flames. He goes through so many emotions that Websters would have had trouble documenting, were he still around. Uncertain of himself or his surroundings, he does know the truth of Madam Dǎng'àn. When he is finally able to gain control of himself, he finds that he has lost the metamorphosis and returned to his dragon shape.

As he became aware of his surroundings again and AwkTek shifted his larger form, the makeshift sword belt and the sword from Gar’thul fell to ground between the dragon and the shop stools. Madam Dǎng'àn seeing the sword hit the ground, came around the counter and the stools and crouched over the blade.

Turning it over, she at once noted the markings in Dragonese, “Benevolent Guardian of All,” she said with her heavy Chinese accent. Looking up at the baby dragon she grasps the dragon firmly around the neck and pulls his face close to hers. “How did you come by your father’s sword?”

Before AwkTek can explain a commotion occurs up at the opposite end of the street and Madam Dǎng'àn dashes behind the counter and begins tidying up and organizing. “You will know how best to set your parents free. Live long enough and we will speak more often together for sure.”

AwkTek goes to ask a question but Madam Dǎng'àn is either deaf or not listening. Confused AwkTek picks up “his father’s sword”. Strapping it across his back he looks once more at Madam Dǎng'àn, but she gives no sign or hint of acknowledgement.

AwkTek’s attention is drawn to the commotion up the street. When things appear to be resolved, AwkTek turns and attempts to speak to Madam Dǎng'àn and is shocked to see nothing of the shop or the Madam. Confusion crossed his features and furrowed his brow and caused him to puff plumes of smoke and flame in frustration.

“No further ahead” he thinks to himself, until the sword shifts on his back and Gar’thul’s name comes to mind. “It is a shame that Symon is dead. He at least knew where Gar’thul was from. Well it appears that there is a clue after all.”

AwkTek carefully works his way back through Refuge’s Inner Wall streets back to the Nameless’s barracks and the motor pool, where his skiff is parked along with the Bop and the Glitter Boy. Right in front of motor pool AwkTek crashes and sleeps for a few hours.
Architect
Quick Stats _
Veteran Chaing-Ku Dragon
Charisma: -- || Pace: 6 (1d6) || Parry: 4 || Toughness: 5 [6 (11)] || Strain: --
ISP: 20/20
Wounds: None || Fatigue: None
Combat Edges: None
Relevant Edges: None
Bennies: 4/4
Weapons
Weapons On Hand _
Claws
Teeth
Flaming Great Sword
Powers
Available Powers _
Alchemy

Magic

Tattoo
Architect _

Chaing-Ku Dragon

Active effects: None
Parry: 4 (+2 to normal sized attackers rolls to hit me)
Toughness: 34(16) / 11(4) in humanoid form
Notable Edges: Arcane Background (Psionics)
Skills: Climbing d4, Fighting d4, Knowledge (Electronics) d8+1, Knowledge (Engineering) d8+1, Psionics d6, Repair d10+1, and Shooting d6.
Innate Abilities: Fire Breath (shooting for 4d6, or place cone for 2d10), Infravision (half lighting penalty), Tail Lash (d12+d8+5 to a 2" by 4" area), Claws/Bite (d12+3d6+5 AP4), and Fear.
Psionics: Clairvoyance (Detect the out of ordinary), Mind Reading (Read Others Thoughts), and Telepathy (Mentally Communicate with Others).
Equipment of Note:
  • Flaming Great Sword Damage: Str (d12+4) + d12 + 4; AP 3; MD; +3 Fighting; Flames on Dragon-speak command.
  • Enchanted Demon Bracers +3 Parry
Charisma: -2 (Socially Awkward Youth)
Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/2 | ISP: 10/10 | PPE: 10/00

Bennies: 5/5
Architect Awakened
AwkTek
AwkTech -
Signature Block
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Tiberius sat cross legged on the floor in the middle of the room that had been assigned to him when he had arrived at Castle Refuge. With the palms of his hands resting on his thighs and his eyes closed Tiberius meditation to calm his mind and spirit as he contemplated his new surroundings. It had been decades since the last time he had ventured out into the world of mortals and he was still a bit unsettled at the prospect of dealing with beings other than his fellow Cyber-Knights.

Unbidden this thoughts drifted back to when he had last retreated from the outside world. It had been more than 35 years yet in many ways the pain was still as fresh as if it had happened yesterday. Ah my sweet Sierra, how I miss you still. The year had been PA 39 and he a freshly minted Knight barely grown by the standards of his people had been tasked with accompanying and protecting a young scholar. He had been smitten with her almost from the first moment they met. The decades had rolled by and they had travelled across North America from one coast to the other and back again. As the years had passed he pretended not to notice as she aged as humans are wont to do, not that he cared. She was his soulmate.

All too soon even by mortal reckoning he had lost her. Not to a violent death as one might have expected in those dangerous times or even by illness really though it was her heart that had given out in the end. It had been a warm day in early summer and they had been trekking through the foothills approaching the Rockies not far from the fledgling Colorado Baronies. She had been only 61 years old at the time and still in fine form but as they crested the slope and entered the clearing where they planned to take a break her normal smile had faded to be replaced with one of concern and she had gripped her walking stick tightly for support. Tiberius had been at her side in a moment but it had been a moment too long. He only had time to watch her slip away from him as he had held her in his arms in the fading afternoon sun.

He had buried her in that meadow using his psi-sword in a way his instructors would not have approved of but it had allowed him to dig a hole deep enough that she would be protected from predators and scavengers alike. His own heart had been heavy as he had begun his journey back to the monastery the next morning. Load Coake may not be an elf but he had recognized the grief of loss when he saw it and granted Tiberius permission to remain at the monastery to train the younglings until such time as he choose to return to the world at large.

His reverie was disturbed as the intercom above the door suddenly came to life requesting that he report to the office of a Sergeant Major Thunderaxe on level six. He sighed and gathered his gear. Time to meet these "Nameless" folk he mused as he exited the now empty quarters and began making his way towards the elevators. Like it or not Tiberius had returned to the mortal world and he was determined to make the best of it.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

Bennies: 3 of 3
1 golden bennie

Tiberius

Player: James

Agility d8, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 6 Run Die: d6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 6(2)

Return to “The Nameless”