2. Night Riders

Adventure Forums
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

You saddle up as soon as Bull Jack collects himself and you all grab some grub.

As you head out, Bull Jack explains where you're headed.

"We're going east from here, more or less followin' the rail. There are a few trouble spots, an' you gotta keep your eyes peeled for unsavory folk, but it's a hair safer than crossing the open plains. An unless you got a cargo worth hauling and are in a big hurry, we always reckoned it's safer than taking the rails, too. My boys are prolly a day out in front of us. We got a little spot we like fore we get too far, maybe halfway to the Oklahoma border or so, an we can meet up with them there. You'll wanna let me do the talkin' of course. Or they're liable to greet y'all in a very unhospitable manner, if you take my meaning."

Let me know what actions, if any, you take to prepare before leaving and then what your riding order is going to be.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Getting on the horse Forth watches the untrustworthy young man. "Kind of reminds me of myself when I was young." He says to himself. He hated riding, having done quite a bit when he was younger, the experience generally left his bones aching now that time was catching up to him.

"Alright son, you direct the way, but we stay close to each other. No need for you to be running up ahead or anything." Then taking a bit of rope he ties the two saddles together so Bull can be in the lead, but not able to run to fast or far.



Been there Done That 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [4]+[1] = 5
= Riding d4
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Riding suits Kiwihnai just fine. It would be good to get out on the range, the place where his people were known as lords and masters. The newcomers had their cities but the expanse belongs to the people.

As Forth lashes his horse to Bull's Kiwhani rides a few paces back, ready to shoot the stubborn taibo in the back if he makes a run for it.
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc coughs. "This gives me a chance to try out a thing or two I've been workin' on. A ride would do us good." With that, he prepares to saddle up and ride out.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The posse heads out into the night, Bull Jack in the lead.

As you ride, the temperature drops quickly and the night takes on an unseasonable, biting cold. The lights of the city of Dodge, such as they are, disappear behind you quickly, and you are left to see by such light that the moon and stars are willing to lend you.

The sound of your horses' hooves clopping against the dry ground is louder than you are used to, a veritable drumline in the darkness.

At the very edge of his consciousness, @Forth hears something gently call his name. The sound is somehow familiar and terrible at once, like the raspy call of a long-dead lover and a heartbreak best left in the past.

Please, everyone make Notice rolls. If you do not have a way to offset illumination penalties, be sure to include a -2 in the roll for dim lighting. If you use a power to offset the penalty, please subtract the appropriate power points for two hours of power usage.

If you are attempting to keep track of the direction Bull Jack is taking you, please make a Survival roll, too.

Finally, if you are trying to be stealthy, also make a Riding roll.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Notice 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[4] = 11


Forth tries to make out the whispering. "Any y'all hear that scratchin?" When the others look at him strangely, it becomes obvious they do not hear what he hears. So he mumbles to himself. "Must Hoyal's bane trying to leg up on me 'fore the next hand."

"You know trip like this, being led by a boy still wet behind the ears and tricky. Well it reminds me of the first time I seen a massacre. Was a rout just like this, headen out of town and there was injuns all overs and stuff. Well see, the frenchies paid them fer scalps so they come down and cleared out a whole bunch er us."

"Well, back then my legs was stronger, so I did what wise men did and ran fast as I could. Shot whoever was in my way and got out. It was a tough thing, I managed to save my girl Elsbeth, and her friend. But her friends pa and ma didn't make it, so it was left to me to care for Sariah. So we ended up settling in Arkansas and I treated her like my own daughter. She was not to bad as kids go, worked harder than was needed around the cabin. But she ran away and got married just as soon as she turned 16. Her husband took her and they moved west from us."

Then absently as if to himself. "I always wondered how she turned out. Havn't seen either oh them for over 40 years now."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell saddles up and rides off with his compatriots, keeping a close eye on Bull Jack. He puts on his owl-eye goggles, hoping to take the mystery out of the night. Unfortunately, he is
Notice with NOG: 1d4!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
WD Notice: 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
more than what's right in front of him and his horse. Despite that, he does his best to keep his wits about
Survival: 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5
WD Survival: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
, since they have no way of knowing what's waiting for the end of them at this ride.
Acknowledging @Forth's strange diatribe, Stillwell remarks curiously. "Massacre? Who said anything about a massacre?"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 pm Acknowledging @Forth's strange diatribe, Stillwell remarks curiously. "Massacre? Who said anything about a massacre?"
Forth nods at the Doc's question. "I can see why ya would be confused Doc. But trust me this is not a safe trip."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

As if on cue, a lonely coyote howls in the distance... and then cuts off abruptly in a strangled yip.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell shakes his head. "It ain't never a safe trip. But nobody said nothin' 'bout a massacre. Matter of fact..." He stops as the coyote's howl is cut short. "...ah, heck fire." His hand moves to his Peacemaker, just to make sure it's still there.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Notice 8
Notice 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
Whilst a tin of coffee gently boiled over a fire, Koburn laid back as he enjoyed a cigar. He heard the coyote in the distance....and it's abrupt yelp before it fell silent. He reaches for his rifle before kicking dirt over the fire to put it out.

Seems the coffee would have to wait.
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Wary of Bull jack, Kiwihnai tries to keep track of where the taibos is taking them. Yet, he grows more disturbed by the coyote yelp. Coyote was a trickster, but powerful. It is a bad omen if even he is silenced. Peering into the night, the shaman hushes his horse and begins to mask the hoof falls.

Notice 1d4!!-2 1d6!!-2: [1]-2+[3]-2 = 0 - failure
Survival 1d4!! 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4 - failure
Riding 1d6!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8 - success
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Forth notices a flicker of light, as if from a campfire, maybe thirty yards off the trail where the team is riding. The light is there and then is abruptly gone.

@Koburn hears the sound of oncoming horses; it's clearly multiple riders, but you aren't sure how many.

More than that, though, Koburn can feel that something is wrong with the night. While the oncoming horses mean the possibility of discovery, they may also represent a chance for safety in numbers.

For Koburn
Write a paragraph or two about what you are doing out here by yourself and get an extra Benny.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth looks off in the direction of the flicker, then thinks to himself, an ambush huh, well, may as well do what we can to discourage that. Then concentrating for a brief moment, he begins mumbling. "Their all around you, trapped and no way out." As he says the words suddenly a a flush if small flaming demons spring from the ground in the area he saw then flicker, grabbing everything and pinning them down in a huge circle or terror.



Entangle, Large Blast Template, Strong, Glow, and range if needed centered on the area of the of the flicker, maybe he will get some of them.


Entangle, LBT, Strong, Glow & Range Spellcasting 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Reroll Spellcasting 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [6]+[3] = 9 +2 Elan = 8, maybe with a -4 for dark lighting?
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

If it weren't for certain...obligations, or rather a favour he really couldn't say no to, Koburn wouldn't have bee out here. He'd rather have been at some saloon in the company of a fine lass and even finer whisky, alas his so-called 'employer' had other ideas. So here he was out in the middle of nowhere looking for some godforsaken item and, with nightfall, he'd been forced to camp out under the stars. He wasn't sure what was so important about this blasted item, but his not so friendly employer had made it quite clear that it had to be found.

Koburn had a gut feeling that it was going to cost him a whole load of trouble for very little, if anything, in the way of monetary reward.

His gut feeling certainly was proving to be correct, first the wrongness about the eerily still night and now some unknown riders approaching. It had been Koburn's intent to lay low and wait for the riders to approach to hopefully identify whether they were friend or foe, staying low and trying to make himself inconspicuous as much as possible if it was proven to be the latter. Once again his gut feeling was proven to be ever more correct as there was a flash of light and he suddenly felt something, almost like a net, entangling him.

He tried
Athletics 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
, whatever the thing that held him fast proved to be more trickier than expected to deal with. Though nobody had started shooting, yet, so maybe he could talk his way out of this?

"What gives?" He called out with a mixture of surprise and anger in his voice. "Can't a man bed down for the night without getting bushwhacked?"
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth looks over at the man being restrained by the demonlings. Riding over, he looks around for other potential ambushers. Seeing the coast in clear he chuckles a little bit to himself. "Let me help ya git them rascals off ya." He says as he gets off the horse and moves towards the guy.

"Ya know, this is just bad timin for us all. We was walkin by and that spark of light was bit what I saw last time a man shot me in the guts. Near as well killed me, and I recon I like being alive more n dead."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

"I oughta be thankful." Said Koburn as he stood up and dusted himself down. "Some folk would've let loose a hail o' lead and hope not to ask questions later."

He then picked up his cigar and looked forlornly at it for a moment before starting to pack up his camping gear. "Speakin' o' which, ya better have ya irons to hand as I reckon this night ain't the so friendly kind..."

As he let the words hang, he poured some of the now cooling coffee into a mug to quickly drink before discarding the rest over the still smouldering fire.
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth watches the foolish pup tossing out the perfectly good black fluid. "No need to waste things. If night's gonna be rough, then lets sure this here fire and make sure we all make it out alive."

Then taking his glare under control he adds. "May as well, boil up another pot, ain't someone's gonna need to stay up."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell's eyes go wide at the sight of @Forth's machinations. His hand moves to the hogleg at his side, hoping to be able to at least return fire when the target inevitably starts shooting. He sits, dumbfounded, as the stranger by the fire takes the whole "grabbed by what looked like demons" thing in stride. It's an unfriendly land. That's downright uncommon friendliness on his part. He tips his hat. "Fella, most folk wouldn't have taken too well to what just happened. I appreciate your discretion." He dismounts to make greetings. "Any old night's got potential for bloodshed in these parts. I'm obliged for not startin' that out too soon. Doc Stillwell. You are?" He extends his hand to @Koburn.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Forth's theatrics make Kiwihnai make a small grunt of disatisfaction. He otherwise remains stoic as they greet the newcomer, keeping one eye on Bull Jack. "We should move away from here quickly. Our voices carry far in the night, someone will be here soon."
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 pm Stillwell's eyes go wide at the sight of Forth's machinations. His hand moves to the hogleg at his side, hoping to be able to at least return fire when the target inevitably starts shooting. He sits, dumbfounded, as the stranger by the fire takes the whole "grabbed by what looked like demons" thing in stride. It's an unfriendly land. That's downright uncommon friendliness on his part. He tips his hat. "Fella, most folk wouldn't have taken too well to what just happened. I appreciate your discretion." He dismounts to make greetings. "Any old night's got potential for bloodshed in these parts. I'm obliged for not startin' that out too soon. Doc Stillwell. You are?" He extends his hand to Koburn.
"Name's Koburn." Answered Koburn. "Ya didn't start shootin' so I figured there wasn't gonna be that much trouble."

"But I agree with ya Injun friend, best to high-tail outta here."
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Seeing the whole group has come to agreement on moving on, the old timer could feel it in his bones already. Unhappy about the resolution Forth nods and gets back on his horse. "Well, if we need ta ride, then lets ride. But my old bones are gonna need some rest soon, then enjoy the cool feel of the earth now and then."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell nods at @Kiwihnai. "Reckon you're right. Let's git." He awkwardly scrambles back into his saddle, ready to ride into the dark.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

You hear the crunch of boots on dirt from out in the darkness, perhaps twenty or thirty yards away.

"Hey!" a gruff voice calls out into the night. "Who goes?"

Then, moments later you hear a scuffing sound, perhaps as if someone had stubbed a toe, and a muted curse. A new, higher voice breaks in, "Dammit, we gonna keep trekkin like this all night?"

The first voice replies, "Shut yer yap!" And then, turning his attention back to you, again, "I said, who goes?! Don't make me ask again!"

Bull Jack's head snaps around. "Hey! Shivers, is that you?" Then, to the four of you, Bull Jack says, "that's Shivers, one of my boys. Hey, Shivers! What in the hell are you doin' all the way out this way? You was supposed to be waitin' for me!"

It takes a few minutes, but you eventually see three very dirty and bedraggled looking cowboys approach the campsite. One of them, a large man in a bowler carrying a fierce looking shotgun, coughs and then grins up at Bull Jack. "Well, boss, looks like you went and made some friends, hey? Thought you was coming by yourself. We, ah, well we ran into one o' them, uh, Desert Things a couple miles back. It got Tommy, spooked the horses, and almost got Mills here, too. We figured hoofin it back to Dodge beat sittin' around the dirt with that thing creepin' about. What's your story?"

Bull Jack has an easy grin. "These gentlemen," indicating Forth, Kiwihnai, and Doc, "held a poker game in town, and I was obliged to stay a bit later than planned. They are of a mind to get in on our money making ventures," he lies.

Everyone Make a Notice Roll at -2 (for a total of -4 thanks to the darkness, which is only partially offset by the small campfire).
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Notice 1d8!! or 1d6!!: [3]+[11!!] = 14


Forth eyes the newcomers carefully, but on hearing their story he gets a shiver down his spine, as he looks around. "What desert thing is that. Any chance one followed you?"
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Notice 1d4!! 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4


Hearing the other approach in the dark distracts Kiwihani from anything else that might be out there. The two oafs are so obnoxiously loud he can't focus on the normal sounds of the night.

Talk of desert creatures does snap him back to his senses. While his exterior remains stoic he tries to recall what he might know about these creatures.

"Talk and move. We are noisy prey."
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc Stillwell peers around nervously as Bull Jack's friends stroll up from out of the darkness. Something in Jack's tone in speaking to his associates makes him uneasy. The topic of their conversation only serves to unnerve him further. He nods as @Kiwihnai urges movement. "Our friend is right. Best we mount up and ride." He scans the darkness, but
Notice: 1d4!!-4: [6!!]-4 = 2
WD Notice: 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
for his efforts.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Kiwihnai, make a Survival or Occult roll, please.

@Forth, look for a DM in Discord.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

GM Requested Roll 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [2]+[4] = 6
Benny to reroll with Elan 1d8!! or 1d6!!: [3]+[1] = 4


Forth nods. "Well as long as y'all aint been followed may as well have some coffee. We wont want to have any trouble while on the natives land..." Without missing a beat Forth goes from chatting with the fellows to calling again on the great skills Hoyle brought forth for man-kinds preservation.

Stealth 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[2] = 3
Benny and Elan Stealth 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! +2 to highest: [2]+[11!!] = 13
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

1 1d8! Wild 1d6!: [8!, 3]+[2] = 13
1d8! Wild 1d6!: [7]+[1] = 8
1d8! Wild 1d6!: [5]+[3] = 8


Forth got a Red Joker, so everyone gets a Benny! I’ll let him explain the situation in his post. :twisted:
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth recognizes the threat to their lives immediately and knows simply trying to bind them in place will not be enough. But his own talents of misdirection are not enough for something like this. Reaching deep down, he calls to the mantue, that always resides at the edge of his awareness. "I need your help, lets play" The words private in a way that only the two of them knew in a sliver of time only the two of them were aware of.

"I win this and you burn them fellers off out of creation. We both know what happens if I lose..."


Risk taking Gamble to Deal With the Devil Joker 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [8]+[3] = 11
Free Reroll Risk taking Gamble to Deal With the Devil Joker 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[4] = 7

Spellcasting Burst, extra damage selective 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[4] = 11
With the Joker this is a 9 raise!

Fiery Death 3d6!! plus 1d6!! Rasie +2 from joker: [2, 1, 3]+[2] = 8
Benny Reroll Fiery Death 3d6!! plus 1d6!! Raise +2 from joker: [8!!, 8!!, 2]+[5] = 23


The fragments of time pass instantly as Forth pulls out a lucky hand in the end, his pair of 10's complimented by the pair of 6's just beating the demons pair of kings. Then his awareness returned to the real world as his mouth was forced open from a force beyond his own and flames roared out of it engulfing the skin walkers and burning away at their husk revealing the things within...
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5
"The hell...?" Koburn mutters as some strangers emerge out of the darkness, spinning a tale about something being out there. They seemed to know one of the posse, but there was a undercurrent of tension in the air which was all that Koburn needed to ready his rifle. Though everyone seemed content to talk for a moment.

Then it happened.

One of the posse, the fella named Forth if Korbun recalled correctly, seemed to go all funny for a moment. Then suddenly Forth opened his mouth and appeared to blow out a stream of flame right at the strangers.

It was hard to tell whom he ought to be aiming his rifle at.
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Survival 11, Raise
Survival 1d4!! 1d6!!: [2]+[11!!] = 13
A number of realizations dawn on Kiwihani at once. Bull Jack's friends were already dead and Forth was a spirit talker. The flames bursting from the gamblers mouth were mere punctuation.

Steady ing his horse the shaman blinks in the darkness trying to regain his sight after the sudden burst of light.

"The spirits walk among us in many ways tonight."
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

A couple things happen at once.

First, @Kiwihnai has heard of these so-called "Desert Things" before. They go by plenty of other names, but they are nasty, ambush predators, and they are certainly more than capable of taking down a horse or two. In game terms, Kiwihnai knows everything about their stat block from page 161 of the gamebook.

Second, before anyone is the wiser (because he aced the living snot out of his Stealth roll), Forth lets loose his fiery breath on the three newcomers, filling the night air with the smell of burning flesh.
Soak Rolls and Current Bad Guy Status
Wow. Okay, so all three of these baddies took 4 wounds.
  • The first managed to soak only one wound after spending 3 bennies, so he has 3 wounds left. Not looking so good.
  • The second soaked two wounds, so he has 2 left. He aced his first Vigor roll, so he only spent one Bennie.
  • The third also soaked two wounds and has 2 left. As with number 2, he aced his first Vigor roll and spent one Bennie.
As the flesh peels off of the cowboys, their true nature is revealed: they stand (or, more accurately, hunch over in pain) before you with odd, green tendons and muscle, but no skin. Their hands end in wicked looking claws, and their weapons lay at their feet, dropped in the suddenness of Forth's attack. Long, snake-like forked tongues protrude from their mouths, and they hiss and howl in pain at the sudden fire.

Bull Jack nearly falls off of his horse. He starts to say something vulgar, then decides instead that silence is a virtue in this exact moment.

Everyone Make a Fear Check at -4 (-2 for the creatures, -2 for the Fear Level). Seeing these things without skin is no joke, amigos.

Action Cards!

Well, it's time for shootin', isn't it?

Forth: Nine of Spades
Koburn: Nine of Hearts
Skinwalker 1: Eight of Clubs
Skinwalker 3: Six of Spades
Doc: Six of Diamonds
Kiwihnai: Four of Hearts
Skinwalker 2: Two of Spades

How Initiative Will Work

As it stands, Forth and Koburn may go now, in whatever order they choose. Then, I will do one post for all three skinwalkers. After my post, Doc and Kiwihnai may go. Bull Jack is going to sit this one out... unless he gets dragged in kicking and screaming, of course. That's up to the skinnies.

If anyone would like to spend a Benny for a new Action Card to try and go before the bad guys, please let me know.


@Koburn Not lost to you in all the shuffle, before he began spewing fire from his lips, Forth seemed a little bit off to you. He smells bad, and not just in a "the man's been on the trail too long" kind of way. More like "that cow fell by the wayside, was partially eaten by something, and then was left in the sun too long" kind of way. His traveling companions might just be a bit smell blind, having traveled with Forth for so long.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Fear (Spirit) 1d8!! / d16!!: [7]+[9] = 16


The skinwalkers are unnerving, but the Comanche shaman maintains his steady presence as he stares them down. They were dangerous, and the desert things still lurked about somewhere too. Kiwhihnai knows the best way to counter dangerous spirits is with the help of his ancestors. Clutching his medicine pouch he begins to sing an honour song to his ancestors.


Faith 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[10!!] = 14
Once invoked, any supernaturally evil creature (Marshal’s call) that wants to make a direct, physical attack on the bearer of the symbol must make a Spirit roll as a free action (the creature subtracts 2 if the blessed cast with a raise).
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Spirit 1d8!! or 1d6!! Joker gives +2: [1]+[3] = 4 Total 5-4 = 1 fail.

Fear Table 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16
Panicked: The character immediately moves his full Pace plus running die away from the danger and is Shaken.


Seeing the creatures revealed for what they are, Forth deliberate move away from the threat, turns into a full on flight as something in him remembering the primeval response to serpents takes over. Stumbling through the dark on the gravel Forth trips and gets up again moving like his life depended on it, as his heart tells him it does.
Running 5+1d4: [2] = 2
Athletics 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! with -2 for darkness and GM awarded benny: [11!!]+[4] = 15


Trying to recover from Shaken 1d8!! or 1d6!! Harrowed +2: [4]+[1] = 5
His mind coming to him Forth looks warily at the situation as he considers what to do. "Well, I was hoping they would be dead. Looks like you did not fill your part of the bargains you old bastard" Forth mutters to the demons he had gambled with as he considered what to do next.



Recovered from Panic/shaken, waiting (5"+5"+2") 12" away and I think turn was used running away, may be able to act with -2, but not sure I will ask in OA.

Last edited by Forth on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

GM Note: @Kiwihnai spent two Bennies on new cards and ended up with an Ace of Clubs. His action will occur before the Skinwalkers.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Fear Check 5
Taunt 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5
Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
There was something....off about the fella Forth that Koburn noticed, though in particular the smell. He'd encountered the odd terrible stench in the past, either well and truly ripe or a drunken rummy sleeping off their latest bottle in the back of some stable. Did the fella have some aversion to a bathhouse? Maybe been on the trail so long that they near enough forgot what one looked like?

Right now there was more pressing matters to contend with.

Taking aim with his rifle, Koburn fired a shoot at the closest of the...things.

Shooting 15, Damage 14
Shooting 1d8!!: [15!!] = 15
Wild 1d6!!: [13!!] = 13

Damage 2d8!!+1d6!!-1: [7, 5]+[3]-1 = 14
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The skinwalker nearest to @Koburn reels with the shot. The bullet enters the creature's head and skatters green tissue, brain matter, and blood over the dirt behind it.

The first skinwalker slumps to the ground, dead.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

One of the remaining two skinwalkers, eschewing the twisted, slagged metal at its feet that used to be a shotgun, charges at @Koburn with its claws. It makes two savage looking swings, but it leaks deep green blood with every movement and cannot land a hit.

The other makes for @Kiwihnai and, after staggering before the shaman's holy symbol, rallies and closes with its claws (OOC: aced Spirit roll). It manages to sink two long fingers into Kiwihnai's gut on the first pass (11 damage for 1 Wound), and then catches him again across the jaw with the other hand (14 damage for 2 Wounds!). The creature hisses and spits its fury and it is clear that, even hobbled, these are dangerous foes.

@Kiwihnai, you may Soak at your leisure.

@Dr. George Stillwell, you are up, sir.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell has seen a few things in his life. @Forth spitting fire without a fire-eater's tonic is a whole new sight. And speaking of a whole new sight, the sight of flesh melting from the walking ghouls
Spirit vs. Fear: 1d8!!-4: [6]-4 = 2
WD Spirit: 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Benny Spirit: 1d8!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Benny WD Spirit: 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
2nd Benny Spirit: 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3
2nd WD Benny Spirit: 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
3rd Benny Spirit: 1d8!!-4: [6]-4 = 2
3rd WD Benny: 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Fear: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18
and he yells in horror. "Damned filth! Aaaagh! What in the Sam Hill?!" With no controlled thought to address the terrifying creatures shambling around after having had their skin melted from their bodies, he reacts almost by instinct, raising his pistol at the fiend that has just swiped at his Indian friend. "@Kiwihnai, no!" With an uncharacteristically smooth press of the trigger, the peacemaker goes off, the bullet

Shooting: 1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
WD Shooting: 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Benny Shooting: 1d4!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Benny WD Shooting: 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Damage: 2d6!!+1: [3, 9!!]+1 = 13
with vicious force.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The creature takes the bullet from @Dr. George Stillwell straight on and barely flinches.
OOC Comments
It spent its last WC benny on a soak and aced its vigor. This particular critter has all the aces this round.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Round Two!

Skinwalker 2: Black Joker
Skinwalker 1: Ace of Clubs
Kiwihnai: Ten of Hearts
Forth: Nine of Diamonds
Dr. Stillwell: Eight of Spades
Koburn: Two of Diamonds

The skinwalkers and the GM all get Bennies. Yay!

The first skinwalker, the one going after Koburn, growls and tries again to maul the man. Its first strike catches Koburn across the chest for a nasty gash (1 Wound), and its second follows it up with another laceration down his leg (1 more Wound).

The other skinwalker stays on Kiwihnai, swinging at the Comanche man. Unfortunately, this time the creature is unable to break past the shaman's protections and is stopped cold by the holy symbol (OOC = Benny spent but couldn't get a good Spirit roll due to the wounds).

Your Turn!

You may now post in any order you choose. Both skinwalkers are carrying 2 wounds. The one fighting Kiwihnai has one Benny left and the one fighting Koburn has two, thanks to that Joker. The one fighting Koburn is the one that pulled the Joker, insofar as that matters.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc Stillwell gawks in disbelief as his shot yields no effect. "That ain't...doggone it, why won't this thing die?!" Taking aim, he

Shooting: 1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
WD Shooting: 1d6!!-1: [10!!]-1 = 9
Damage with Raise AP 1: 3d6!!+1: [3, 1, 2]+1 = 7
Benny reroll damage: 3d6!!+1: [4, 9!!, 1]+1 = 15
at the skinwalker.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Soak 1d6!!/1d6!!: [1]/[3] = 0.33


Kiwihnai's spirit song is replace by a sudden fast exhale as the skin walker's long claws pierce his gut. Steeling himself the ever stoic shaman presses on with his song, singing of his ancestors, their journey to the plains, how they conquered the horse, and drove skin walkers out into the night. His tone and tenor rises as he sings the song of honor for his people and embarrassment for the walkers. Reminding spirits of their history often forced them to flee in shame. His
Test using Performance roll Spirit vs 4. Performance 1d4!!-1 1d6!!-1: [2]-1+[1]-1 = 1 Benny Performance 1d4!!-1 1d6!!-1: [1]-1+[5]-1 = 4
is eerie and chilling - but then again so are skin walkers.
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Soak 7, Unshake 8
Spend Bennie

Vigor 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Spirit 1d6!!-1: [9!!]-1 = 8
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Koburn grunts in pain as the creature lashes out at him, thankfully the strike against his chest was more of a winding blow whilst the on his leg bit. Staggering back and with teeth clenched in pain, Koburn brings his rifle to bear.

Shooting 4, Damage 5
Shooting 1d8!!-3: [7]-3 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0

Damage 2d8!!-1: [4, 2]-1 = 5
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The skinwalker nearest @Kiwihnai takes another bullet from @Dr. George Stillwell and staggers, but does not fall (OOC=Soaked and now completely out of Bennies).

It appears to be briefly enthralled by Kiwihnai's song, but shakes it off quickly (OOC=Matched the TN of 4).

The skinwalker entangled with @Koburn appears unfazed by the additional shot.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth pokes his head out from behind the boulder. "Their all around you. You cannot escape." He whispers as he concentrates, calling on the demon servitors that so often have come before. Suddenly the tiny little demons manifest, their flaming black auras and tiny claws fiercely grabbing at and pinning the dangerous skin walkers in place.

Raise, Both Skinwalkers are Bound, Distracted, Vulnerable, and the Entangle is Strong for a total of -4 to escape
eight power points for Entangle, area, selective, strong Spellcasting 1d10!! or 1d6!!: [3]+[9!!] = 12
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Round Three!

Action Cards:

Skinwalker 1: King of Diamonds
Dr. Stillwell: Queen of Hearts
Skinwalker 2: Jack of Spades
Kiwihnai: Five of Hearts
Koburn: Three of Clubs
Forth: Two of Hearts

Because a skinwalker got the high card, the bad guys go first and then the good guys in any order they choose.

The skinwalkers struggle against the ensnaring spell cast on them by the old huckster, but despite their ferocity they cannot break free! (OOC= 2 GM bennies spent to no avail).

The skinwalkers remain Bound (they cannot move and are Distracted and Vulnerable). Attacks against them get a +2!

You heroes may now go in any order you choose.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Seeing Forth spirits tying up the skinwalkers makes the shaman's skin crawl. He knew that the the movement between worlds had increased but this is more than he expected. Never one to shy away from a fight, or
Quirk cultural superiority
by settler's in martial skill Kiwihnai
Shooting 1d4!!-1 1d6!!-1: [1]-1+[5]-1 = 4
at one of the Skinwalkers while they are indisposed. The arrow hits one of them in the rump embedding itself there halfway up the shaft (
2d6!!: [5, 4] = 9 +2=11
).
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth watches as the others finish off the Skinwalkers. "Well, hadn't seen much like this in a couple months. Them Skinwalkers are dangerous."

"The way they came up just knowing where we was, and sneaking like they was Bull's friends kind of reminds me you ain't been much help here Bull."


Eyeing the pup suspiciously Forth finished his thought. "So is that cause yet a coward, or cause yet on their side?" Not that there was anything wrong with being a coward, but it is always good to know what you got.


Action = Going on hold, Forth figure the others will kill the Skinwalkers. So he can hold.
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Shooting 3
Shooting 1d8!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-1: [2]-1 = 1

Bennie

Shooting 1d8!!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
With the blows he'd recently received at the hands of the creatures, Koburn struggles to properly aim his rifle and get off a clean shot. It is even more frustrating given that he missed at such a close range, certainly seemed like Fate was having a laugh at his expense this night.
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The skinwalker that @Kiwihnai hits lets out a screech of pain and reels from the blow, but stays upright, if barely. (OOC= that one has 3 Wounds now)
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell becomes increasingly frustrated, both by the near-liquefied flesh pooled below the skinwalkers and by his inability to put these things down. He squeezes off another round from his peacemaker, but jerks the trigger and
Shooting, net +1: 1d4!!+1: [2]+1 = 3
WD Shooting: 1d6!!+1: [1]+1 = 2
missing everyone and everything. "Dammit! Hold still!"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth watches as things do not seem to improve. "Ah, crap. Well if you boys ain't gonna finish the work, then I may as well." Pulling his pistol out with an instinctual twist of the wrist he list the weapon and shoots the Skin Walker in the face. (Not an actual called shot.)

But as the bullet flies, his aim is off and it only cuts across the creatures jaw, causing a red bit of tissue to come to the surface, but leaving the creature alive. Forth rolls back behind the boulder out of site again trying hard to think of a way out of this. Perhaps it is time for a little Ammo Whammy...

Shooting 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [10!!]+[2] = 12
Damage 1d6!! + 1d6!! AP1: [3]+[2] = 5

Raise Damage 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Forth's bullet does not seem to do any noticeable damage, and both skinwalkers are still upright.

Last (?) Round Action Cards

Forth: King of Spades
Skinwalker 2: Jack of Clubs
Skinwalker 1: Nine of Diamonds
Kiwihnai: Eight of Hearts
Dr. Stillwell: Six of Clubs
Koburn: Five of Clubs

Forth may go first, then the bad guys will go, and then everyone else. @Forth, the floor is yours.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Taking a breath after seeing the previous shot do nothing to the reptiles Forth tries to clear his head and think. The creatures may be bound, but it seems like they can escape. Standing up again, he stabilizes himself over the stone and tries to shoot the snakeface again. The shot is good, landing solidly the creature spasms, as Forth ducks back behind cover.

Hits for 16 AP1 damage to the target with 3 wounds
Shooting 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[13!!] = 18
Damage 1d6!! 1d6!! 1d6!!: [4]+[4]+[8!!] = 16
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The skinwalker's head explodes, sending brain matter and gore spraying.

The other skinwalker decides that enough is enough and begins to withdraw from the fight, backing up carefully (OOC= using the Defend maneuver while in melee range and backing up his full movement).

One skinwalker is left (and is leaving!); everyone else may now go.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc's patience at this point has long since skedaddled. Slashing claws, putrefied flesh, and bullets that won't kill anything. "Pete's sake, critter, die!" Pointing at the creature's chest, he
Shooting: 1d4!!-1: [5!!]-1 = 4
WD Shooting: 1d6!!-1: [7!!]-1 = 6
Damage AP1: 2d6!!: [10!!, 3] = 13
at the skinwalker.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

GM Retcon: The skinwalker does not take the Defense action because it is still bound by Forth. Instead, it tries (and fails) to free itself with its turn.

@Dr. George Stillwell's shot takes it straight on, causing another Wound. It now has 3 Wounds and begins screaming.

"Wait! No! Waaaaait!"

Through all of this, Bull Jack has been sitting statue still on the back of his horse, eyes wide and gibbering.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

An oft-quoted Chinese curse sits heavily in Koburn's mind, it summed up his evening perfectly. What was expected to be a simple night out under the stars had proven to be anything but, though he should've known better based on past experience. With the creature trapped and screaming for mercy, Koburn was still hesitantly wary of it and so kept his rifle aimed at it.

"Ya did try bushwhackin' us." Koburn said to the creature, whilst still aiming his rifle. "So ya best git talkin'."
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth thought Koburn was right about his approach. But the man did not have all the information. Turning over to Bull Jack he says. "So how much of this did you know? Where you aware your friends where demons?"
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Bull Jack blanches and the skinwalker chuckles.

”No. He does not know, for we only assssumed thessse formsss tonight. We are here for him, idiot that he isss. We do not abide poacherssss on our landsssss.” The creature hisses out each “s” sound, drawing it out like a knife from an old leather sheathe.

It is surprisingly unsettling.

”Give me the poacher,” it continues, ”and the resssst of you will not be harmed. I ssswear it.”
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell squints at the skinwalker, then shifts his eyes to Bull Jack. "Poacher? What's he done?" Still visibly sickened, he nonetheless holds his pistol pointed squarely at the wounded walker. "This got anything do with what we're after, Jack?"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 pm Stillwell squints at the skinwalker, then shifts his eyes to Bull Jack. "Poacher? What's he done?" Still visibly sickened, he nonetheless holds his pistol pointed squarely at the wounded walker. "This got anything do with what we're after, Jack?"
The Skinwalker bares its teeth. "I mean it literally, traveler. He and his are poacherssss on our landsss; the buffalo are not theirsss to take, but they have taken and taken and taken. And ssso, we will take them, in turn."

Bull Jack begins shaking with fear and anyone near him can smell urine on the air. His horse stomps its feet and looks like it wants to bolt.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Pursuit wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:52 pm ”Give me the poacher,” it continues, ”and the resssst of you will not be harmed. I ssswear it.”
Forth looks at the two corpses on the ground, burned and bloody with holes in their bodies. Lifting an eye brow to the reptilian with a such poor grasp of reality.
Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:18 pm Stillwell squints at the skinwalker, then shifts his eyes to Bull Jack. "Poacher? What's he done?" Still visibly sickened, he nonetheless holds his pistol pointed squarely at the wounded walker. "This got anything do with what we're after, Jack?"
Pursuit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:09 am The Skinwalker bares its teeth. "I mean it literally, traveler. He and his are poacherssss on our landsss; the buffalo are not theirsss to take, but they have taken and taken and taken. And ssso, we will take them, in turn."

Bull Jack begins shaking with fear and anyone near him can smell urine on the air. His horse stomps its feet and looks like it wants to bolt.
"Ya cost me a nearly full cup of coffee over this." His thumb pointing at the cup, then in turn over his should at the boy. "I do not think you need to be threatening anyone with yer boys being dead, and yer own situation being what it is."

Then looking at Bull Jack he finishes. "The boy belongs to me now, we don't turn humans over fer killing to demons. So yer out o' luck." Then shaking his head he tells Bull Jack. "Boy, run dip yerself in that stream, ya smell like piss and have shamed yerself." The soft spoken words held little fury or hope of intimidating the demon, but they do hold truth.
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Forth wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:01 pm
"Ya cost me a nearly full cup of coffee over this." His thumb pointing at the cup, then in turn over his should at the boy. "I do not think you need to be threatening anyone with yer boys being dead, and yer own situation being what it is."

Then looking at Bull Jack he finishes. "The boy belongs to me now, we don't turn humans over fer killing to demons. So yer out o' luck."
The skinwalker hisses, a low, primal sound. "We are not the only onessss tracking him, traveler. There will be othersss. You will not sssurvive harboring thisss one."
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

"Poachin' huh?" Koburn said to the skinwalker, though still kept his rifle squarely aimed at the creature. "And on Injun land no less."

"Boy..." He said, this time to Bull Jack. "I don't even know ya and ya caused a heap load o' trouble this eve....heck, I'm pretty tempted to shoot ya meself right now!"

"Looks like we got ourselves a case o' frontier justice needing to be done here." Continued Koburn, then turned to the posse and asked. "But you fellas need him for something right?"

"I say we compromise." Korburn suggested. "What tribes are in these parts? Sure we can strike a deal with one o' 'em for this idiot to work o' his crime."
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:03 am The skinwalker hisses, a low, primal sound. "We are not the only onessss tracking him, traveler. There will be othersss. You will not sssurvive harboring thisss one."
Forth smirked a little sideways. "Well, thanks for the warn'n. But I spose it would be better if you just called off yer fellers, an we'll get through with this."

Tilting his head in the direction of the urine stained boy he finishes. "This, boy is with us, and that means he is safe fer now."
Koburn wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:16 am "I say we compromise." Korburn suggested. "What tribes are in these parts? Sure we can strike a deal with one o' 'em for this idiot to work o' his crime."
Forth nods as it seems a lot more fair to let the boy make restitution than to be murdered by demons. But he had an objective to accomplish first and that was more important than any-ones justice, be they tribe or state. "Sounds fair fer the boy to make right. But, like I said, fer now he is mine, and he is werkin fer me."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Kiwihnai begins a low chant as he pulls items from his medicine bag to
Healing 1d8!!-1 1d6!!-1: [2]-1+[7!!]-1 = 7
. After he patches himself up he quietly hefts his war club and stalks over to the skinwalker. Hearing Bull Jack called poacher, and that he made lead to more trouble disturbs the shaman, but not as much as the presence of the skinwalker. As it grovels and spits lies he
Hindrance, Driven, stop the supernatural
. The sickening thud is followed by the silence of the dead of night.

Turning his eyes to Bull Jack the shaman narrows his gaze and tightens his grip, "You have much to tell us. Speak quickly, and quietly."

While waiting for Jack to talk Kiwihnai tries to
Occult (Unskilled) 1d4!!-2 1d6!!-2: [2]-2+[4]-2 = 2
of poaching amongst the spirits but is uncertain. His common sense tells him, however, that the item they seek, the one jack stole, someone belongs to these creatures. or worse the dark forces that control them.
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Setting the creature he's bashed in Forth shrugs. "Spose we best move on. No point in smelling corpses. And ya made sure they won't speak more. Not that we was having much luck."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:42 pm
Turning his eyes to Bull Jack the shaman narrows his gaze and tightens his grip, "You have much to tell us. Speak quickly, and quietly."
Bull Jack, eyes still wide, stutters "I don't... I mean... I mean... I mean, yes! We sometimes would slip onto Coyote lands for the buffalo, but come on! Everybody does that! What in the hells would these critters care about some damned buffalo? Why would they kill my boys over some glorified cattle? An where is the rest of my crew? There should've been five people waiting for me, and only three of these beasties. Does that mean my other friends are still alive?"

@Kiwihnai I saw your Occult roll, but I already had you roll Survival to know about these beasties, and you got a raise. From that, you would know that legends of the skinwalkers originated with the People, and it is not unheard of for some of the more bloodthirsty tribes to call on such creatures for redress when they feel wronged.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Koburn spun his rifle round to aim at @Kiwihnai, then said with a cold tone. "Don't make a habit o' that."

Koburn then lowers the barrel of his rifle, but keeps it in his hands as he walks from the Indian. Overhearing Bull Jack talk, Koburn quips. "If they're still alive, I doubt they'll be for that much longer."

"Lets get outta here before it turns out half the State is after our friend the poacher here."
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell's eyes go wide as @Kiwihnai bashes the skinwalker's head into pulp. His jaw drops at the sudden and brutal action. He barely has time to react as @Koburn makes his suggestion. All Doc can do is hold up his hands and shout "Whoa! Whoa!"
Seeing, then, that the situation managed to defuse itself, he concurs with the prevailing plan. "Yeah, let's...uh, let's get outta here." He gives a side-eye and a vigorous shudder at the piles of skin left on the ground.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Kiwihnai stares down the barrel of Koburn's rifle with unflinching resolve until the newcomer turns away. The shaman gives an barely perceptible nod at Bull Jack's story, "Come and take. That is the motto of your people." Realizing he is surrounding by people who descendants have come and taken the Comanche dispenses with a longer lecture. "Your friends are dead."

Kiwihnai burns the blood off his war club before mounting his horse, wince slightly at his patched up gut wound.

"Let's find his friends and get what we need. Then we turn him over to the Coyote. Only blood will satisfy their vengeance and I rather it be his than ours."
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Koburn wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 pm Koburn spun his rifle round to aim at Kiwihnai, then said with a cold tone. "Don't make a habit o' that."
The grizzled old gambler watches the weapon swing around and point at his friend. Mentally preparing to burn the newcomer from the earth, he relaxes when the weapon is lowered. He nods to himself as he considers, if that weapon ever swings his way, he doubts he would have the restrain Kiwihnai shows. The poor new comer would be bathed in fire and pain before he could pull the trigger. "Only boys point guns where they don't plan on using them." He begins as he starts getting hot in the blood for more violence. But then Kiwihnai stares down the weapon unphased, making the old timer think better of more words.
Kiwihnai wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:47 pm
"Let's find his friends and get what we need. Then we turn him over to the Coyote. Only blood will satisfy their vengeance and I rather it be his than ours."
"Kiwihnai is right, we got better things to be about than wagging our dicks at each other hoping ours will be the biggest." Getting on the horse and nodding he follows the native kids lead, far more mature than his own. "Lets ride."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

"Guess I'm ridin' with you fellas." Koburn comments dryly as he saddles up his own horse. "Can't say I like how unwholesome this night has become."

"You boy." He says, glaring at Bull Jack. "Let us know if any more o' yer unexpected surprised spring to mind before they bite us in the ass."
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

If it were possible, Bull Jack blanches even more.

”Whoa, whoa, whoa! I agreed to come out here with you to meet up with my boys and get you the damnable lasso. I didn’t agree to nothin’ about being sacrificed to nothin’! I ain’t takin’ any of you another step if you’re just gonna kill me later. Might as well do it now and have done.”

His lower lip quivers as he speaks, as do both his legs. He is keeping his hands still, but it is apparent to all of you that it’s taking an effort to do so.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc Stillwell scratches idly at the back of his head, more than a little flustered with the direction this endeavor is heading. "I don't know nothin' about tribal justice. We ain't deputized by the Coyote. I reckon we let him to his own designs, he'll run into justice one way or another. I ain't crawfishin' on a deal we made."
He turns to face Bull Jack. "Fella, we agreed to safe conduct if you showed us where this...lasso? Huh..." His hand moves to his chin, mulling over why anyone wants a lasso or what could be special about it. He shakes his head, returning to the thought at hand. "Yeah. Safe conduct. So you hold up your end, we're holdin' up ours." He glances over the faces of his new friends. "We're not breakin' the deal we made. That's bad luck and bad business. Right?"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

"Boy, I ain't in no mind to kill ya...but I'm gettin' one to darn well shoot ya." Koburn stated. "Ain't one to break a deal, so lets see it through."

"After that, boy, ya on yer own."
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Bull Jack looks at @Kiwihnai and @Forth, clearly gauging their responses.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:37 pm Bull Jack looks at @Kiwihnai and @Forth, clearly gauging their responses.
Remaining stoic the shaman simply gives a slight shrug, "Very well. You can go your own way when this is done." A lasso, that is new information. "But no more surprises. Tell us what you know while we move. You are a gambler, the time for keeping things close you best has passed.It is time to put your cards on the table."
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:13 am "But no more surprises. Tell us what you know while we move. You are a gambler, the time for keeping things close you best has passed. It is time to put your cards on the table."
Bull Jack nods at the terrifying horseman, and looks at the other, the old man @Forth. "An you? You gonna let me go after this is done? Or are you gonna go back on yer deal and feed me to the Coyotes?"
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth rolls his eyes at the boy. "I ain't made it this far by breaking my word. Last thing I need is fer yer ghost to haunt me fer betraying my words. And none of then braves have offered nothing but pain to us, so I aint gonna toss you out to reward ther rudeness."
Bennies: 1
(reroll notice, reroll Occult, Dealing With The Devil, Joker +1, reroll damage)
CONVICTION: 1
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Bull Jack nods his assent.

”Okay. Okay, then. Let’s ride on to where my boys was supposed to be and I’ll get you that damnable rope.”

Bull Jack leads you onward, grumbling under his breath as he goes about the night, the trail, and his soaked pants. Every now and again you swear you can see something move out of the corner of your eye, but the dark of the night always swallows up whatever it is.

A Dramatic Ride

Getting to the meet up spot will be a three round dramatic task. You may choose between Riding, Notice, Occult, Stealth, Survival, or an Arcane Skill for each round. You may not use the same skill more than once, however.

The night is still a little dim, but dark night is fast approaching. The first round, you will make your rolls at -2 due to the illumination penalty. That increases to -3 for the second round and -4 for the third. Of course, you could always just light up a torch to see by, which would eliminate the darkness penalty (but maybe conjure up something worse).

Your challenge is to make your way to the meet up without coming across any more creepy crawlies. You are aiming for 12 success tokens across the 3 rounds.

You can post in any order; the Action Cards are just to see if you get any Jokers or Clubs. Remember, Clubs = complications, which imposes an additional -2 on your rolls. You may always trade a Benny for a new card, if you like, too.

Dr. Stillwell: QD
Kiwihnai: 8C
Forth: 7C
Koburn: 3D
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell focuses his efforts on his senses. He squints into the darkness, hoping by some miracle that danger will illuminate itself. His ears manage to sift through the muted thump of the horse hooves striking dirt. Despite the danger and the darkness, he does
Notice: 1d4!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5
WD Notice: 1d6!!-2: [7!!]-2 = 5
which hopefully gives them an advantage on the things that lurk there.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Kiwihnai spent a Benny for a new card and got an Ace of Hearts.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Kiwihani hums softly as the group travels asking his ancestors for protection and to bless the path ahead. It sounds like Bull Jack stumbled upon a curse item, if that was true then it would be wanted my many. That thought also causes Kiwihani to question the motives of their benefactor.

His gentle humming and chanting makes an eerie soundtrack to the silence of night.

Faith 1d8!!-2 1d6!!-2: [5]-2+[2]-2 = 3
Benny
Faith 1d8!!-2 1d6!!-2: [4]-2+[4]-2 = 4
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Forth spent a Benny for a new card and got a Red Joker. Everyone gets a Benny and Forth gets to make his roll at +2. Good use of a Benny!
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

As the posse rode through the failing light, Koburn wonders what he's allowed himself to be dragged into. Then again, there was that old saying about 'safety in numbers' and he had other concerns that weighed more heavily upon him. Either way, he squinted into the dark, hoping nothing unsavoury lurked there.

Notice 9
Notice 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Bennie

Notice 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

To keep things moving along, we will say that Forth managed 2 successes (thanks to his joker). If my math is right, that brings us to 5 successes for round one. Not bad!

Let's head to round two:

Kiwihnai: Queen of Spades
Koburn: Ten of Diamonds
Dr. Stillwell: Eight of Spades
Forth: Two of Clubs

Because it's been a bit, let me remind you of the rules for this task:
Getting to the meet up spot will be a three round dramatic task. You may choose between Riding, Notice, Occult, Stealth, Survival, or an Arcane Skill for each round. You may not use the same skill more than once, however.

The night is still a little dim, but dark night is fast approaching. The first round, you will make your rolls at -2 due to the illumination penalty. That increases to -3 for the second round and -4 for the third. Of course, you could always just light up a torch to see by, which would eliminate the darkness penalty (but maybe conjure up something worse).

Your challenge is to make your way to the meet up without coming across any more creepy crawlies. You are aiming for 12 success tokens across the 3 rounds.
This is round 2, so your illumination penalty is -3. Good luck!
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

The night was starting to close in now and Koburn realised that he was going to have to be careful steering his steed, least some wayward goofer hole decided to makes things more interesting. Admittedly his horsemanship didn't rate that much above average.

Riding 2
Riding 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2
Wild 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2

Bennie

Riding 1d6!!-3: [4]-3 = 1
Wild 1d6!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Riding 1d6!!-3 / 1d6!!-3: [1]-3+[5]-3 = 0
Benny 1d6!!-3 / 1d6!!-3: [5]-3+[3]-3 = 2

Riding in the dark is foolish. Kiwihnai and his people are expert riders but this challenge eludes even him. Of course, a true expert would not try such a thing in the first place. He manages to keep his horse alive, barely. But very little progress is made toward their objective. He quietly considers some of the medicine he has heard about that would let one see in the dark.
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc Stillwell has no better luck than his compatriots at keeping his horse on the right track.
Riding: 1d4!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
WD Riding: 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2
and slow going don't help matters.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

Given Forth's absence, I am going to treat him as having gotten one success this past round.

That makes this the last round. You have 6 tokens as it stands and can gain a maximum of 12.

To see if anyone gets a club:

Dr. Stillwell: Black Joker
Kiwihnai: Ace of Hearts
Forth: King of Spades
Koburn: Five of Clubs

@Dr. George Stillwell gets a joker, so he has +2 to his roll, here, and everyone else gets a joker, too. Not a bad way to start!
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1097
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Koburn spent a Benny for a new card and got a King of Clubs.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 0/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 4/4
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Sensing things are not going their way, and his own actions having little effect, Kiwihnai takes the time to bless his compatriots from whatever evil might befall them. He quietly hums a tune of protection from the group as they move through the dark to help ward off unwanted spirits.

Support Dr. Stillwell; Faith 1d8!! / 1d6!!: [14!!]+[1] = 15 - 4 = 10 (+2 to Doc Stillwell. That plus Joker should offset penalties. Go for broke man)
Post Reply

Return to “The Weird West”