1. Rollin' Into Dodge

Adventure Forums
Pursuit
Game Master

1. Rollin' Into Dodge

Post by Pursuit »

However you got there, you find yourself in Dodge City, one of the more notorious haunts in the Weird West (and that’s saying something, partner). Dodge is known for its cattle market, buffalo poachers, general debauchery, and rumors of things that go bump in the night. This is not your first go round as a team; in fact, this will be your third assignment together. A month or two back, a mysterious benefactor reached out to each of you individually, gathered you together, and set you loose on the world.

None of you knows who your benefactor is, but he (or she) has their hooks in you somehow: maybe they’ve promised you something you really want, or maybe they are blackmailing you with information you really don’t want to get out. The details are known only to your individual characters, unless you decide to share them with the team. One way or another, you all received a wire telling you to get to Dodge, and so here you are.

You head for the saloon -- because where else would you go first? -- and the barkeep nods when you come in. He slides a piece of telegraph paper to whoever steps up first before asking, ”what can I get you folks?”

The telegraph reads, simply, “Bull Jack. Secure item of rumor.”
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Re: 1. Rollin' Into Dodge

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:59 am
"Got any coffee?" Either way he thanks the guy and asks, "Ever heard of Bull Jack? Sounds like a made up name?"
The barkeep nods at you and pours a cup of coffee.

Persuasion Roll
Please make a Persuasion roll to see if you can rustle up any information on Bull Jack from him. You may add +1 to this roll, as you are a customer and the barkeep obviously has a connection with your benefactor somehow.

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo reads the note that is passed to him and looks at the bartender. "Tequila. And as my friend asked tell us what ya know about Bull Jack." He leans on the bar and drinks with his left hand, leaving his gun side clear.
Roll persuasion 1d4!!+1: [3]+1 = 4 gotta go wild 1d6!!+1: [8!!]+1 = 9
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Technospawn wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:37 am Memo reads the note that is passed to him and looks at the bartender. "Tequila. And as my friend asked tell us what ya know about Bull Jack." He leans on the bar and drinks with his left hand, leaving his gun side clear.
The barkeep smirks and silently pours the tequila.

After a moment's consideration, he says, "Bull Jack comes in here sometimes. Fancies himself a wanted man, and brags about his various misdeeds to anyone what'll listen. If his stories are to be believed, he's done everything from ravish the mayor's daughter in the mayor's own house to steal an entire herd of cattle right out from under their owners' nose. If I had to guess, though, I'd wager he's likely done no more than steal a head or two of cattle and maybe poach a few buffalo."

Forth

Post by Forth »

Old Forth listens to the other talking and skims the note. Pulling a match from his pocket he lights it on hi pants before brining it to the cigarette he had hanging from his mouth. "Whiskey double." He says to the bar tender as he listens to the others.

Once his drink arrives he says. "Well, what does this Bull Jack look like. Must be pretty seasoned to have so many tails already."
Bennies: 3
  • Benny Reset 4
    Deal With the Devil -1 for Protection
CONVICTION: 1
Pace: 5; Parry: 2; Toughness: 7 13
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8 -8= 4
Active Powers: Undead,
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Forth wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am Old Forth listens to the other talking and skims the note. Pulling a match from his pocket he lights it on hi pants before brining it to the cigarette he had hanging from his mouth. "Whiskey double." He says to the bar tender as he listens to the others.

Once his drink arrives he says. "Well, what does this Bull Jack look like. Must be pretty seasoned to have so many tails already."
The barkeep pours the whiskey and passes it along to Forth.

"Seasoned? Bull Jack? Naw. Nothing like that. Kid's green as a garden snake, just got a big mouth, is all. As fer what he looks like, well, he looks more or less like they all do. He's a little uglier than most, but he's about average height. Likes to wear a bowler hat. He's sharp, though, despite all his talkin. And he's a fair hand at poker, from what I seen."

Dr. George Stillwell

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Persuasion - failure
Persuasion +1, -1 for Tongue Tied: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Stillwell bellies up to the bar. He allows the rest of the group to make their inquiries, then proceeds to put his foot in his mouth. "Bull Jack seems a bit of a liar. Reckon he'd piss his whistle if'n he met up...I mean, wet his hands. No. Uh...so, he win any hands of poker with large stakes recently? Uh...and a whiskey. For me. A whiskey for me." He coughs into his shoulder, hoping to clear his throat and his tongue.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:18 am
Stillwell bellies up to the bar. He allows the rest of the group to make their inquiries, then proceeds to put his foot in his mouth. "Bull Jack seems a bit of a liar. Reckon he'd piss his whistle if'n he met up...I mean, wet his hands. No. Uh...so, he win any hands of poker with large stakes recently? Uh...and a whiskey. For me. A whiskey for me." He coughs into his shoulder, hoping to clear his throat and his tongue.
The barkeep raises an eyebrow at Stillwell and pours him a glass.

"Big stakes? Naw, not that I know of. Least, not here. No one here plays for any big stakes, really. Mostly pocket change and such."

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:48 pm
Turning back to the bartender he smiles, a somewhat wooden smile but an attempt anyway, "Can you put out word of a game here?"
The bartender taps his chin thoughtfully.

"If you want to set up a proper game, like a tourney, you'll need some kind of stake. Like I said, it won't take a whole lot out in these parts, but something more formal than just a buncha fellas blowing off steam at the end of the day needs to have something behind it, if you get my meaning?"

It's obvious to you that he's asking both for a bribe and for you to put up something of value for the potential participants to play for.

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:03 pm
"We can arrange such a stake," he says confidently sliding five greenbacks across the bar to show his largess.
The barkeep makes the bill disappear almost faster than your eye can track. He gives a whistle, and a boy appears from the back room.

"Winston," the barkeeper says, "I want you to spread word that there will be an official poker game here tonight. Head to the meat market first, and hit the regular haunts. Tell em there'll be high stakes."

The boy runs off, and the bartender turns back to you. "He's a reliable lad. He'll get word out for you."

Forth

Post by Forth »

Kiwihnai wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:48 pm Listening to the bartender tell of Bull Jack, Ki begins to formulate some ideas.

"We do not need to chase this jackrabbit. He will come to us." Sipping his coffee the Comanche looks at @Forth and grins, "Are you up for a game of poker?"

Turning back to the bartender he smiles, a somewhat wooden smile but an attempt anyway, "Can you put out word of a game here?"
"I do love a good game of cards."
Pursuit wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:10 pm The barkeep makes the bill disappear almost faster than your eye can track. He gives a whistle, and a boy appears from the back room.

"Winston," the barkeeper says, "I want you to spread word that there will be an official poker game here tonight. Head to the meat market first, and hit the regular haunts. Tell em there'll be high stakes."

The boy runs off, and the bartender turns back to you. "He's a reliable lad. He'll get word out for you."
Ol' Forth eyes the bartender wondering what the man was thinking. "Hopefully you have a proper safe, before you go advertising this is the best house in town to rob."
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Forth wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:20 pm Ol' Forth eyes the bartender wondering what the man was thinking. "Hopefully you have a proper safe, before you go advertising this is the best house in town to rob."
He shoots you a wicked-looking grin, and you swear you can see a flicker of something... off in his eyes.

"Oh," he says, "they're welcome to try it. Never works out for anyone that does, though."

Jessamine

Post by Jessamine »

Persuasion !1d4+1: [1]+1 = 2
Wild die !1d6+1: [1]+1 = 2

Jessamine walks up to the bar hoping to get more information on some of their target’s self spread rumors before hopefully meeting him at the poker game. Alas, her focus on their newest job affects her balance and she trips into the bar, her handcuffs falling out and onto the surface. Not quite the impression she was hoping to start with as plans for gambling were being established. Or while fishing for information on possible shady doings.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

With a smirk, the barkeep picks up the cuffs and holds them out to @Jessamine, dangling them on one finger.

”You seem to have dropped these, ma’am. Might want to have a mind who sees these. Law dogs ain’t always well liked in these parts, even law dogs of the fairer variety.”

Forth

Post by Forth »

At the mention of the law Forth gets a little tense for a brief moment. Then realizes it was Just Jessamine the guy was speaking up and his mind was able to catch up to the rest of the innuendos. He harrumphs to himself, young people...
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo ordered another tequila and found a table where he could take a load off and still watch the door.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

The bartender only smirks at @Kiwihnai’s hostility. He’s clearly heard worse.

It takes a few hours, but eventually people (mostly men) begin filtering in and asking about the card game. The barkeep, who’s name is apparently Charlie Green, or Charlie the Green, or just Greenie, directs them to tables and serving girls begin cycling through the room.

The crowd tops out at about three dozen or so.

Before the game starts, what would you like to do?

Forth

Post by Forth »

As the interested parties start coming in, old Forth begins working the tables a little bit, loosing wallets and lips with drinks and cards. A little losing here and winning there is always a good thing for keeping people interested in what is to come. Seeing the bar tender prefers the more casual name Forth adopts it. "Thanks Greenie, please keep the drinks coming, my throat tends to get dry."
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Dr. George Stillwell

Mixology - success
Healing - sleepytime drops: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
WD Healing: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Benny for fun: 1d4!!: [2] = 2
WD Benny: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
2nd Benny: 1d4!!: [7!!] = 7
2nd WD Benny: 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Doc nods as the plan is (roughly) set. "I believe I have my granny's old recipe for soothing a fussy baby that will fuss...uh, stop his fussin'. Come to think of it...I wonder if that's why grandpappy always took early naps when his blood was up...well, I can't exactly go ask her. She's since passed...oh, never mind." He shakes his head, cutting his monologue short. "I have just the thing. I will be down in time for the game." With that, he retires to his room and begins pouring a variety of interesting liquids in questionable combinations until..."Ahhh, perfect!"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Current Status Post
Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo checked to make sure his 6 gun was loose in the holster, then lit up a cigarillo. Sipping the tequila with his left hand he scanned the crowd as the poured in.
Jessamine

Post by Jessamine »

Jessamine checks her money pouch to make sure she’s got the spare cash to gamble; she doesn’t love the inherent risk but can’t bear to be left out of the work on a job. She also takes a minute to make sure anything marking her as a ranger is tucked well out of sight.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Once the tables fill, Greenie sets about making sure everyone is set up for the game. It's customary to play a couple of hands before the really big money starts flowing, so the stake for the first hand will be $1. Anyone who wants to play will be seated at a table with 5 other players and rolls will be handled per the Gambling rules in Savage Worlds. I will roll for any NPCs at the table.

Anyone who decides they would rather try something other than play poker may do so (i.e., Persuasion to chat up the patrons for information, etc.)

Right before you get started, a young man in a bowler hat slips in and plops himself down at the table nearest the door. Anyone who makes a Notice roll with a simple success will catch Greenie the barkeep giving you the barest of nods, indicating the newcomer.

Go ahead and declare what your character is doing, and let's get the games started!

Forth

Post by Forth »

Already seated as the action starts the old man looks a bit too relaxed, obviously this is a game he is used to. He does not mind losing now and then, especially when it sets up for a win in the end.

Gambling 1d10!! or 1d6!!: [6]+[2] = 8
Free reroll is bellow a TEN then he rerolls Gambling 1d10!! or 1d6!!: [2]+[5] = 7
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo sits idly by and continues to sip his tequila watching for any sign of the target.
Notice the signal d4!!: [1] = 1 always gonna be wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3

Lower Gambling 1d8!!: [4] = 4 The cards are wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5 True Believer Reroll 1d8!!: [3] = 3 True Believer Wild 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Dr. George Stillwell

Stillwell slips in behind @Kiwihnai and fumbles a little. "And liquor this up...up in his liquor...ehhhhhhh..." His exasperated sigh gives him a moment to collect himself. "Start putting drops of this in his drinks after a half hour. Add more to every next drink. And..." He slides the vial to Greenie. "Don't touch it. The liquid. Don't get it on you. Just in the drink."
With that, he circles around the bar,
Notice: 1d4!!: [3] = 3 ; WD Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2
for anything out of the ordinary.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Bull Jack sits at the table with the other cowboys, laughing and slapping his compatriots on the back, but his expression is wary.
Notice 1d8! Wild 1d6!: [6]+[2] = 8

@Dr. George Stillwell, please roll Thievery at +2 for slipping the concoction to the barkeep (good idea, using someone else to do the actual dosing). If you fail, Bull Jack may well become mighty suspicious as to what you out-of-towners are doing here in Dodge without obvious business tied to the local cattle trade.

For @Forth, we are going to combine several hands of poker into one roll to save time, per the rules in SWADE. At the end of the roll, you'll either be up or down by whatever amount you won (or lost) on this roll.
  • Cowboy 1 Gambling: 4
  • Cowboy 2 Gambling: 4
  • Cowboy 3 Gambling: 5
  • Cowboy 4 Gambling: 2
  • Cowboy 5 Gambling: 3
Lowest total (2) pays the highest total (Forth) the difference (6-2 = 4) times the stake ($1). So Forth is up $4 at the end of the introductory hands.

Dr. George Stillwell

Thievery
Unskilled Thievery with Support: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
WD Unskilled Thievery: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny reroll Thievery: 1d4!!: [1] = 1
Benny WD Thievery: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Last Benny: 1d4!!: [3] = 3
Last Benny WD: 1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Doc takes advantage of @Kiwihnai's covering musical number and slides the vial to Greenie with a wink.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Forth

Post by Forth »

Dang, that was a lot of effort to slip someone a micky

Forth hears the ruckus and grumbles about it. "That's some loud garbage. I suppose if old Greenie wants to let the guy play he can. But I prefer a good piano, maybe a fiddle when I'm playin hands."

As he sees the marks eyes drifting back towards the table where his drink is being prepped Forth grumbles again, louder and more aggressively. "Don't let him get yer eyes off the cards."

Tests to Distract the mark
Tests to Distract the mark Intimidation 1d4!! or 1d6!! at -2 to chosen die: [6!!]+[1] = 7
Benny on Intimidation, Elan removes penalty higher of 1d4!! or 1d6!!: [2]+[3] = 5
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

He may be young, but Bull Jack isn't new to the tables; he is entirely un-flustered by @Forth's intimidation attempt.

On the other hand, he is also entirely distracted by @Kiwihnai's playing, and does not notice @Dr. George Stillwell slipping Greenie his home-brewed concoction.

"Will you knock off that racket!" Bull Jack yells, but he does it in that good-natured way that some folks have, and his foot taps along to the beat, and it is apparent to anyone that he doesn't actually want the song to stop.

Turning back to the table, he says, "Now, we gonna up the stakes, or ain't we?"

One of the servers brings by another round for the table, positioning Bull Jack's cup right in front of him, and he downs it in one swallow, properly manly-like.

The new stake is $10, and this represents the high rollers who are still standing after the first hour or so of gambling. Forth, Bull Jack, and four other players from the couple of other tables in the room all move to the table closest to the bar and ante up. Bull Jack sneers and whispers something to the man next to him, who lets out a laugh, and then he turns to Forth.

"Say, new guy," he says, "I gotta say, you stink like my old Auntie's outhouse. You ain't had a bath this year, I take it? Far be it from me to criticize a man who's been on the trail, but you take a break from ridin' to roll around in some horse shit?"
  • Bull Jack Taunts: 10 to make Forth Distracted. Resist with Smarts or suffer a -2 to your gamblin' roll.
The high rollers gather at the table and play several tense hands.
  • Bull Jack: 6 (1 WC Benny spent)
  • Cowgirl 1: 6
  • Cowboy 1: 7
  • Cowboy 2: 17
  • Cowboy 3: 1
The TN to win is 17. Good luck!

What, if anything, is everyone else doing while Forth gambles? Now might be a good chance to try and get some information on the item of rumor you've been sent to procure from the assembled gamblers by using Networking...

Forth

Post by Forth »

Elan adds +2 to Benny rolls
Smarts 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8
Benny the heck out of that Smarts 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [6]+[3] = 9
Benny the heck out of that Smarts 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[3] = 10 Total 9, not quite
Last Benny
Third and last benny Smarts 1d10!! or 1d6!! and +2 from Elan: [8]+[2] = 10

Forth nods, he had heard some good ones and occasionally come in at disadvantage, but this kid was on to something and he that was well delivered with sincerity. "Oh, that's not from skipping my bath. Most likely smell like your aunt, cause when I was done visiting your mom, I would let your aunt come in and help what your mom was no good at finishing."

Forth Eyes the kid, his attention distracted completely from the rest of the table he does not notice the change in the flow of the game. As it turns a little aggressive Forth without thinking goes all in pushing his all his chips into the pile, even emptying what was left in his wallet to buy some more chips. He was sitting fat on a four of a kind, no way some dink was going to beat him. But when this young punk everyone called Walls dropped a straight flush he was done. He did not even have a quarter to pay for his drink.

Shamed he looked at the card, something must have gone wrong, looking with his sight he could not see any sign the man cheated, he just whooped Forth fair and square. Forced away from the table Forth had his head down distracted tying to think how he let the game get away from him so fast.
Critical failure looses double so $34
Gambling 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[1] = 6
Elan adds +2 to rerolls
EP Benny on that 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8
One last time EP Benny 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!! Elan adds +2 as usual: [1]+[1] = 2
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Dr. George Stillwell

Persuasion: 1d4!!-1: [1]-1 = 0
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Doc Stillwell walks a circuit around the bar, hoping to drum up something concrete about the "item of rumor." In typical Stillwell fashion, he doesn't get far. Intending to ask a barmaid on the sly, he instead turns his head away to where she doesn't even know he was talking to her. "So...heard any rumors about a...rumored...item?" As she walks past without breaking stride, he turns again...and misses her again. "Miss? Heard tell of...miss? Uh, mi...never mind."
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Nerak

Post by Nerak »

As the crowd and the action picked up Memo made his way around the crowd listening for any talk about any supernatural going on in town. Finding someone talking about sour water, Memo joins the conversation. He begins to adamantly insist that sour water is sign of a harrowed. Soon an argument has broken out between Memo and 3 other folks at the table.
Occult 1d6!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Walls wins big, and chaos breaks out.

Bull Jack is on his feet as soon as Walls shows his hand. "Now just a minute!" he yells, slamming his palm down on the table, eyes blazing. "You ain't that lucky! You ain't never been that lucky!"

The woman at the table is on her feet just as quickly, her hand drifting towards a wicked looking bone handled knife at her belt. "What are you sayin' there, handsome?" she says, her words dripping with sarcasm and malice. "Careful what you do next."

For his part, Walls looks as surprised as everyone else, his eyes wide. "Hey, now. Take it easy! I had a good run, is all, Bull Jack. Ain't no need to make somethin' of nothin."

Around the bar, people all stand up, reaching for weapons.

Bull Jack, unimpressed, reaches for his left hip, but nothing is there. He looks surprised for a half a second, and then his face normalizes, as if he remembers something. He begins to raise his hands in a placating gesture, and then his eyes begin to glaze and he stumbles.

"Oh, I am feeling it. How many did I have?" Bull Jack practically falls back into his seat, eyes drooping, struggling to stay awake.

@Forth and @Memo get Bennies for their crit fails. How do you want to respond to the end of the game?

Forth

Post by Forth »

Forth sees things starting to get exciting and just leans back. "Wow, slow down son. I think I lost more than most and I aint getting upset." But then as Bull Jack starts to wobble on his feet he says. "Ah, its the whiskey talking I guess. Kids are foolish sometimes." Looking around the room absently he points out a couple of strong men. (Other PC's obviously) "Hey, could you boys help get this kid to whatever room Greenie has for him."

As the men come over to get the poor passed out kid Forth goes back to his own business. The old guy is obviously unconcerned about the kid getting all excited and trying to start trouble.
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Dr. George Stillwell

Stillwell holds his hand up. "I'm a doctor. I can see to his malafflict...uh, afflictady..." He sighs. "I can tend to him."
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Forth

Post by Forth »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:02 pm Stillwell holds his hand up. "I'm a doctor. I can see to his malafflict...uh, afflictady..." He sighs. "I can tend to him."

"Thank you sir, as long as it is off the floor and not interrupting the tournament."
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo comes over to help @Dr. George Stillwell pick up Bull jack and drag him out of the way of the tournament. Once clear of prying eyes. Memo relieves Bull of his weapons and searches him thoroughly. Finding nothing on him Memo tells Stillwell "nothing here."
Notice 1d4!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Greenie nods as you remove Bull Jack from the front room. He’s got a room or two to spare, and so you have a quiet, converted storeroom with a cot and a chair to take the man. You don’t find anything unusual on him, though. Perhaps you’ll need to wait until he wakes to question him.

As @Kiwihnai works the room, he discovers that Bull Jack is rumored to have become a much better cowboy of late. There is a story going around about him lassoing a bucking steer from a crazy distance on horseback, which even has the old salts impressed.
Alcohol
Go ahead and deduct the cost of a couple more beers for social lubricant.

Dr. George Stillwell

Doc Stillwell follows the unconscious Bull Jack to the storeroom. He nods towards the mark. "S'pose we oughta hogtie him. Don't need him gettin' rambunctious when we're trying to have a chit of a chat." He winces a little at his bungled phrase but sets about trying to secure the gambler's hands.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Forth

Post by Forth »

Forth moves over to the bar grumbling a bit to himself before he finally makes his way up to his room. Having lost out of the tournament so quickly he needed to see what he could do. So once in his room he raises and illusion of a plain wall and uses it to hide his movement into the room where Bull was being handled. "So, need any help in here?"
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Some time passes, an hour or two, maybe, and the rowdiness in the main room eventually dies down. They will be telling stories about this tourney for some time, and Greenie is right pleased with the amount of business you all brought into his establishment.

Bull Jack, now tied up in the converted storeroom, comes to slowly.

"Ow. My head," he complains, before seeing all of you. He tries to move and realizes he can't move.

"Hey, now! What's all this?" he asks, his words a bit slurred from the after effects of Doc's potion.

Forth

Post by Forth »

Forth has never been much for questioning people. He normally would get all kinds of missed and wrong answers or even ask the wrong questions. So instead he just smiled down at the kid and said. "Slow down, we have some questions for you real quick. Then you will be fine, if yer still alive." Unfortunately the frail looking old man, does not come off as intimidating at all to the young pup.

No support provided
Intimidation to support whoever will lead 1d4!! or 1d6!! minus 2 for unskilled: [1]+[2] = 3
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo draws his pistol and points it at Bull's belly and begins to say something when he sudden feels tired and loses his train out thought. Not knowing to say or do Memo gets up and goes over to his canteen to get a swig of water.
Lower spirit 1d8!!: [1] = 1 Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Dr. George Stillwell

Persuasion
Persuasion: 1d4!!-1: [6!!]-1 = 5
WD Persuasion: 1d6!!-1: [5]-1 = 4
Doc watches some of the most pitiful attempts at interrogation he's ever seen, and he once tried to interrogate a wooden bear in front of a general store. (The bear pulled the ol' switcheroo and Doc ended up spilling his guts.) He sighs, then steps towards the bound gambler. "See here, Bull Jack, I believe there's somethin' you have or know about somethin' to know or have. It wasn't my idea to truss you up. I thought you'd see reason without all this muss and fuss. But here we are. We'll turn loose of you just as soon as you turn loose of what you know or have." He smiles warmly, more than a little impressed that he was able to spit all that out without jamming both of his feet into his own mouth.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Current Status Post
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Bull Jack's face goes ashen and he is visibly shaken by Doc's question.

"Wha... whadda mean by that?"
Test
I ran this one like a test, and he failed. He also spent all his wild card bennies, so that's good for you guys. He's primed for questions.

Nerak

Post by Nerak »

Memo pulls a chair over in front of Bull and sits down. "Listen son, I am real tired and don't want o spend all night here. I won't lie to you, my friends might hurt you. I won't but I can't stop them. Just confess your sins and the lord will forgive ya. So son what sins have you committed."
Forth

Post by Forth »

Pursuit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:48 am Bull Jack's face goes ashen and he is visibly shaken by Doc's question.

"Wha... whadda mean by that?"
The old man squints his eyes at young Bull. "You know the rumored item young Bull. Tell us where it is at and you get to leave. Maybe if your helpful we can even send you off with some cash..." Not quite sure what the item was they were looking for, only that it was whispered of, Forth hopes that Bull gives the information needed.
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

His eyes narrow.

”Ain’t got no sins to confess. But, ah, well as far as anything rumored might go, I knew that damn thing would bring trouble. How much cash we talkin’? Can’t imagine you’ve got much left after that showing out there.”

Forth

Post by Forth »

Pursuit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:45 pm His eyes narrow.

”Ain’t got no sins to confess. But, ah, well as far as anything rumored might go, I knew that damn thing would bring trouble. How much cash we talkin’? Can’t imagine you’ve got much left after that showing out there.”

"Bah, that game was just fer show. I got plenty of money left." Forth says, showing the boy another pair of $20 bills. "We have this, and even a little more. No need in you bleeding out slowly and dying here with your toes and fingers all crushed from a pistol butt, when you can make a little bit before heading on your way. Now just tell us where it is at."
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Jack licks his lips at the sight of cash.

”Okay. Okay. You cut me loose and put them greenbacks in my pocket, and I’ll tell you everything you want to know about the lasso.”

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:11 pm Jack licks his lips at the sight of cash.

”Okay. Okay. You cut me loose and put them greenbacks in my pocket, and I’ll tell you everything you want to know about the lasso.”
Forth raises an eye on the boy. "Son, the way this works when we have all the power, is you tell us where it is, we grab it then you get paid. Noone is going to trust you at this point."
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

"It ain't that simple, mister! Look, I'll tell you about it, but I ain't got it with me. I left it with my boys when I heard about tourney this afternoon. They probably ain't even in town anymore, and you're gonna have a hard time gettin all the way to em. They're out in Indian country by now, waiting on me to come back."

Forth

Post by Forth »

Forth, looks to the others. "Injun's seems like maybe they would be yer area. What do you say Hass?"

@Kiwihnai
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Jack squirms and kicks. "Hey! HEY! No need for that, now. I'll take you to 'em, okay? Yeah, I can lead you right to 'em, and you can pay me after. Square deal, right?"

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Kiwihnai wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:11 pm
Kiwihani doesn't put his knife down or agree to the terms. He just shrugs and says, "Making deals never seems to work out for my people. Keep your word then we go from there."
Jack looks to the others and sighs, clearly defeated but just as clearly a stubborn SOB.

“Okay, well, fine. Look, me and the boys were lookin to improve our haul by some, uh, less than entirely encouraged means, if you catch my drift. They’re headed out to a spot we know that’s great for buffalo this time a year, and they got the lasso with them. We’ll need to move quiet like if we’re gonna catch em. Ya’ll fancy riding at night?”

Forth

Post by Forth »

Forth hated riding, he never really was much good at it, and now he was in the spot where he would need to do it. Sucking on his gums a bit his mouth makes a slight smacking sound. "We can ride." He sure wished there was a coach out here for this though.
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness

Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Let me know if there’s anything else anyone wants to ask Bull Jack before we move on to the next scene.

@Forth @Kiwihnai @Dr. George Stillwell @Memo @Jessamine

Forth

Post by Forth »

Pursuit wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:17 pm Let me know if there’s anything else anyone wants to ask Bull Jack before we move on to the next scene.

@Forth @Kiwihnai @Dr. George Stillwell @Memo @Jessamine
I am happy to move on
  • Benny Reset 4
Protection +6 Toughness