Scheduled Maintenance:
 ! Message from: Tiree
Maintenance has been performed. If you are receiving a submitted form is in error, please delete your cookies for this site.

2. Night Riders

Adventure Forums
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

You saddle up as soon as Bull Jack collects himself and you all grab some grub.

As you head out, Bull Jack explains where you're headed.

"We're going east from here, more or less followin' the rail. There are a few trouble spots, an' you gotta keep your eyes peeled for unsavory folk, but it's a hair safer than crossing the open plains. An unless you got a cargo worth hauling and are in a big hurry, we always reckoned it's safer than taking the rails, too. My boys are prolly a day out in front of us. We got a little spot we like fore we get too far, maybe halfway to the Oklahoma border or so, an we can meet up with them there. You'll wanna let me do the talkin' of course. Or they're liable to greet y'all in a very unhospitable manner, if you take my meaning."

Let me know what actions, if any, you take to prepare before leaving and then what your riding order is going to be.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 8/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Getting on the horse Forth watches the untrustworthy young man. "Kind of reminds me of myself when I was young." He says to himself. He hated riding, having done quite a bit when he was younger, the experience generally left his bones aching now that time was catching up to him.

"Alright son, you direct the way, but we stay close to each other. No need for you to be running up ahead or anything." Then taking a bit of rope he ties the two saddles together so Bull can be in the lead, but not able to run to fast or far.



Been there Done That 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [4]+[1] = 5
= Riding d4
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Riding suits Kiwihnai just fine. It would be good to get out on the range, the place where his people were known as lords and masters. The newcomers had their cities but the expanse belongs to the people.

As Forth lashes his horse to Bull's Kiwhani rides a few paces back, ready to shoot the stubborn taibo in the back if he makes a run for it.
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Doc coughs. "This gives me a chance to try out a thing or two I've been workin' on. A ride would do us good." With that, he prepares to saddle up and ride out.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

The posse heads out into the night, Bull Jack in the lead.

As you ride, the temperature drops quickly and the night takes on an unseasonable, biting cold. The lights of the city of Dodge, such as they are, disappear behind you quickly, and you are left to see by such light that the moon and stars are willing to lend you.

The sound of your horses' hooves clopping against the dry ground is louder than you are used to, a veritable drumline in the darkness.

At the very edge of his consciousness, @Forth hears something gently call his name. The sound is somehow familiar and terrible at once, like the raspy call of a long-dead lover and a heartbreak best left in the past.

Please, everyone make Notice rolls. If you do not have a way to offset illumination penalties, be sure to include a -2 in the roll for dim lighting. If you use a power to offset the penalty, please subtract the appropriate power points for two hours of power usage.

If you are attempting to keep track of the direction Bull Jack is taking you, please make a Survival roll, too.

Finally, if you are trying to be stealthy, also make a Riding roll.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 8/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Notice 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[4] = 11


Forth tries to make out the whispering. "Any y'all hear that scratchin?" When the others look at him strangely, it becomes obvious they do not hear what he hears. So he mumbles to himself. "Must Hoyal's bane trying to leg up on me 'fore the next hand."

"You know trip like this, being led by a boy still wet behind the ears and tricky. Well it reminds me of the first time I seen a massacre. Was a rout just like this, headen out of town and there was injuns all overs and stuff. Well see, the frenchies paid them fer scalps so they come down and cleared out a whole bunch er us."

"Well, back then my legs was stronger, so I did what wise men did and ran fast as I could. Shot whoever was in my way and got out. It was a tough thing, I managed to save my girl Elsbeth, and her friend. But her friends pa and ma didn't make it, so it was left to me to care for Sariah. So we ended up settling in Arkansas and I treated her like my own daughter. She was not to bad as kids go, worked harder than was needed around the cabin. But she ran away and got married just as soon as she turned 16. Her husband took her and they moved west from us."

Then absently as if to himself. "I always wondered how she turned out. Havn't seen either oh them for over 40 years now."
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell saddles up and rides off with his compatriots, keeping a close eye on Bull Jack. He puts on his owl-eye goggles, hoping to take the mystery out of the night. Unfortunately, he is
Notice with NOG: 1d4!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
WD Notice: 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
more than what's right in front of him and his horse. Despite that, he does his best to keep his wits about
Survival: 1d4!!: [5!!] = 5
WD Survival: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
, since they have no way of knowing what's waiting for the end of them at this ride.
Acknowledging @Forth's strange diatribe, Stillwell remarks curiously. "Massacre? Who said anything about a massacre?"
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:43 pm Acknowledging @Forth's strange diatribe, Stillwell remarks curiously. "Massacre? Who said anything about a massacre?"
Forth nods at the Doc's question. "I can see why ya would be confused Doc. But trust me this is not a safe trip."
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

As if on cue, a lonely coyote howls in the distance... and then cuts off abruptly in a strangled yip.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 8/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell shakes his head. "It ain't never a safe trip. But nobody said nothin' 'bout a massacre. Matter of fact..." He stops as the coyote's howl is cut short. "...ah, heck fire." His hand moves to his Peacemaker, just to make sure it's still there.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Notice 8
Notice 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
Whilst a tin of coffee gently boiled over a fire, Koburn laid back as he enjoyed a cigar. He heard the coyote in the distance....and it's abrupt yelp before it fell silent. He reaches for his rifle before kicking dirt over the fire to put it out.

Seems the coffee would have to wait.
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Wary of Bull jack, Kiwihnai tries to keep track of where the taibos is taking them. Yet, he grows more disturbed by the coyote yelp. Coyote was a trickster, but powerful. It is a bad omen if even he is silenced. Peering into the night, the shaman hushes his horse and begins to mask the hoof falls.

Notice 1d4!!-2 1d6!!-2: [1]-2+[3]-2 = 0 - failure
Survival 1d4!! 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4 - failure
Riding 1d6!! / 1d6!!: [4]+[4] = 8 - success
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1037
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Pursuit »

@Forth notices a flicker of light, as if from a campfire, maybe thirty yards off the trail where the team is riding. The light is there and then is abruptly gone.

@Koburn hears the sound of oncoming horses; it's clearly multiple riders, but you aren't sure how many.

More than that, though, Koburn can feel that something is wrong with the night. While the oncoming horses mean the possibility of discovery, they may also represent a chance for safety in numbers.

For Koburn
Write a paragraph or two about what you are doing out here by yourself and get an extra Benny.
32nd SET: The Dark Harvest 32nd GM Bennies 8/8

The Quick and The Dead(lands) Quick and the Dead GM Bennies 5/5
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth looks off in the direction of the flicker, then thinks to himself, an ambush huh, well, may as well do what we can to discourage that. Then concentrating for a brief moment, he begins mumbling. "Their all around you, trapped and no way out." As he says the words suddenly a a flush if small flaming demons spring from the ground in the area he saw then flicker, grabbing everything and pinning them down in a huge circle or terror.



Entangle, Large Blast Template, Strong, Glow, and range if needed centered on the area of the of the flicker, maybe he will get some of them.


Entangle, LBT, Strong, Glow & Range Spellcasting 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4
Benny Reroll Spellcasting 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [6]+[3] = 9 +2 Elan = 8, maybe with a -4 for dark lighting?
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

If it weren't for certain...obligations, or rather a favour he really couldn't say no to, Koburn wouldn't have bee out here. He'd rather have been at some saloon in the company of a fine lass and even finer whisky, alas his so-called 'employer' had other ideas. So here he was out in the middle of nowhere looking for some godforsaken item and, with nightfall, he'd been forced to camp out under the stars. He wasn't sure what was so important about this blasted item, but his not so friendly employer had made it quite clear that it had to be found.

Koburn had a gut feeling that it was going to cost him a whole load of trouble for very little, if anything, in the way of monetary reward.

His gut feeling certainly was proving to be correct, first the wrongness about the eerily still night and now some unknown riders approaching. It had been Koburn's intent to lay low and wait for the riders to approach to hopefully identify whether they were friend or foe, staying low and trying to make himself inconspicuous as much as possible if it was proven to be the latter. Once again his gut feeling was proven to be ever more correct as there was a flash of light and he suddenly felt something, almost like a net, entangling him.

He tried
Athletics 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1 Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
, whatever the thing that held him fast proved to be more trickier than expected to deal with. Though nobody had started shooting, yet, so maybe he could talk his way out of this?

"What gives?" He called out with a mixture of surprise and anger in his voice. "Can't a man bed down for the night without getting bushwhacked?"
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth looks over at the man being restrained by the demonlings. Riding over, he looks around for other potential ambushers. Seeing the coast in clear he chuckles a little bit to himself. "Let me help ya git them rascals off ya." He says as he gets off the horse and moves towards the guy.

"Ya know, this is just bad timin for us all. We was walkin by and that spark of light was bit what I saw last time a man shot me in the guts. Near as well killed me, and I recon I like being alive more n dead."
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

"I oughta be thankful." Said Koburn as he stood up and dusted himself down. "Some folk would've let loose a hail o' lead and hope not to ask questions later."

He then picked up his cigar and looked forlornly at it for a moment before starting to pack up his camping gear. "Speakin' o' which, ya better have ya irons to hand as I reckon this night ain't the so friendly kind..."

As he let the words hang, he poured some of the now cooling coffee into a mug to quickly drink before discarding the rest over the still smouldering fire.
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Forth watches the foolish pup tossing out the perfectly good black fluid. "No need to waste things. If night's gonna be rough, then lets sure this here fire and make sure we all make it out alive."

Then taking his glare under control he adds. "May as well, boil up another pot, ain't someone's gonna need to stay up."
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell's eyes go wide at the sight of @Forth's machinations. His hand moves to the hogleg at his side, hoping to be able to at least return fire when the target inevitably starts shooting. He sits, dumbfounded, as the stranger by the fire takes the whole "grabbed by what looked like demons" thing in stride. It's an unfriendly land. That's downright uncommon friendliness on his part. He tips his hat. "Fella, most folk wouldn't have taken too well to what just happened. I appreciate your discretion." He dismounts to make greetings. "Any old night's got potential for bloodshed in these parts. I'm obliged for not startin' that out too soon. Doc Stillwell. You are?" He extends his hand to @Koburn.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
User avatar
Kiwihnai
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:56 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Kiwihnai »

Forth's theatrics make Kiwihnai make a small grunt of disatisfaction. He otherwise remains stoic as they greet the newcomer, keeping one eye on Bull Jack. "We should move away from here quickly. Our voices carry far in the night, someone will be here soon."
User avatar
Koburn
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:14 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Koburn »

Dr. George Stillwell wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:21 pm Stillwell's eyes go wide at the sight of Forth's machinations. His hand moves to the hogleg at his side, hoping to be able to at least return fire when the target inevitably starts shooting. He sits, dumbfounded, as the stranger by the fire takes the whole "grabbed by what looked like demons" thing in stride. It's an unfriendly land. That's downright uncommon friendliness on his part. He tips his hat. "Fella, most folk wouldn't have taken too well to what just happened. I appreciate your discretion." He dismounts to make greetings. "Any old night's got potential for bloodshed in these parts. I'm obliged for not startin' that out too soon. Doc Stillwell. You are?" He extends his hand to Koburn.
"Name's Koburn." Answered Koburn. "Ya didn't start shootin' so I figured there wasn't gonna be that much trouble."

"But I agree with ya Injun friend, best to high-tail outta here."
User avatar
Forth
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:19 am

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Forth »

Seeing the whole group has come to agreement on moving on, the old timer could feel it in his bones already. Unhappy about the resolution Forth nods and gets back on his horse. "Well, if we need ta ride, then lets ride. But my old bones are gonna need some rest soon, then enjoy the cool feel of the earth now and then."
Bennies: 3
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0
Power Points: 20 -8= 12, or maybe all of them...
Active Powers: Dead

User avatar
Dr. George Stillwell
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:17 pm

Re: 2. Night Riders

Post by Dr. George Stillwell »

Stillwell nods at @Kiwihnai. "Reckon you're right. Let's git." He awkwardly scrambles back into his saddle, ready to ride into the dark.
Doc Stillwell
Dr. George Stillwell
Pace: 6; Parry: 2
Toughness: 5
Pertinent Hindrances: Ailin' (minor); Tongue-Tied (major); Trouble Magnet (minor)
Pertinent Edges: Ore Eater
Current Status Post
Post Reply

Return to “The Weird West”