The Docks

Locked
Technospawn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

The Docks

Post by Technospawn »

Selune Darkside
The docks
4th Flamerule 1475

Captain Balckfoot waited nervously for Jith to arrive. Jith was not going to be happy the cargo was damaged. Not happy at all. After what seamed like hours he saw three people approaching down the dock. With no preamble Jith spoke up "the cargo was damaged"

Captain Balckkfoot responded quickly "it could not be helped. We were attacked and I lost most me crew. We almost lo ... "

Jith cut him off quickly "I don't make excuse and I don't accept them. I also don't care what happened. I can't sell damaged cargo." He tossed a back of coins at the captain and said "you're lucky I paying for any of it. Don't fail me again or you won't be so lucky."

Jith turned watch the cargo being unloaded then walked back down the docks.

Waiting a long time after Jith left Captain Blackfoot finally counted the coins. 40,000 gp. Far less than half of the price he would have gotten if the damn hive had not caught him so unaware. At least he was alive. Now to go spend most of this on fixing the ship.

A few hours later

The Gnome looked at the ship hard with a critical eye. He turned and looked at Captain Blackfoot. "Aye, I can fix her. I can even do the mods you asked for but it cost ya. 38,000 gold and she'll be ready to jam in 12 days."

Reply to the gnome if you want but also describe how the mods are put in. 50% cargo increase, Maintenance Facility +1 repair, Astogation Charts +1 navigation rolls.
GM Stuff
Initiative

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000] Initiative[/b]
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions. Ties can be broken by an athletics roll.
[list][*][b]Lowest card goes first[/b]
[*][b]Quick rerolls 41 or higher[/b]
[*]1, 2, 3, 4 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 4 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Savage Realms Bennies
GM = 7/7 Jarierth = 0/2

Cerulean
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: The Docks

Post by Cerulean »

Cerulean sees the Captain when he gets back to the ship (ooc: this is before the captain speaks to the gnome).

"Hey Captain, we ... oh, didn't go well, did it."

The Captain explains what happens, and Cerulean says, "If you are able to, a repair bay would help me an' my riggers keep the Manticore a bit better, and cut down on the extra repair costs. But we'll clear up what we got left for the Gnome."

Eventually the Gnome starts the dock work. The repair bay is attached to a section amidships, where it can be central to anything that needs repairs.
Savage Spelljammer: Cerulean the Elf boatswain https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=5652

User avatar
Jarvis Belloch
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Jarvis Belloch »

Jarvis eyed the gnome as he set to begin the repairs. They weren't getting cheated, at least not in any way the Giff could tell. Still, the price was steep and Jarvis knew times would be tight for a while. There was a distinct possibility they'd lose more crew due to them not getting paid. At least the new recruits seemed eager...or maybe desperate enough to sign on.

Jarvis reached out and gently tapped the gnome on the shoulder. The Giff's massive hand was bigger than the mechanic's head.

"Good sir, if you could be sure to include the latest charts with your repairs, it would be much appreciated. If you need any of the crew to assist you, let myself or one of the officers know. We'll make sure you get whatever labor you need."

We damn well better make sure we get the Astrogation charts. The Old Man is top notch at his job, but I'm the only other one that knows a lick about navigating within a Sphere. If that's all we got to rely on, we're in bigger trouble than the Captain thinks.

OOC Comments
ooc: Looks like the Old Man and Jarvis are the only ones with Science. Doing Science to make sure charts are legit
Science: 7
Science
1d6!!: [7!!] = 7
Wild Die
1d6!!: [3] = 3
Last edited by Jarvis Belloch on Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Jarvis
Jarvis Belloch, Master of Arms of the Roaring Manticore
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (2)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Arcane Resistance, Marksman
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 3/3; Golden Bennies: 1

User avatar
Tiberius
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:40 am

Re: The Docks

Post by Tiberius »

Tiberius scowls at the Gnome when he tells Captain Blackthorn how long and how much repairs would cost. "Twelve days? 38,000? What kind of scam are you trying to run here? I'm the Chief Engineer on this ship and I know every plank and spar on her like the back of me hand!" Agitated the Goblin paces back and forth waving his hands animatedly his concern for his beloved ship written all over his face.

"You follow me lead Gnome and we'll have this lady back to sailing trim with 4 days and 20% off that estimate!" Having had his rant Tiberius grins toothily at the Gnome, "Now what we'll need to do first is build the new cargo area along the centerline of the ship. If we need more room we can build up some superstructure. The masts will be a bit of a trick but it will minimize any impact to ship performance and the last thing we want is to be dragging arse when speed and balance are essential!"

Cocking his head and rubbing his chin he pauses deep in thought as he plans the next phase. "Then if we build up the aft deck we can that cubage to move the midship cabins to the aft of the ship leaving room to build out the repair facility and recovery center port and starboard amidships. That should cause the least disruption to the ships' operations and speed up construction times as well!"

Scowling again Tiberius points a knobby finger at the Gnome, "Just you remember that I'M the Chief on this ship and if anyone gets any bright ideas you just send 'em to me. This is MY lady they be messin with and I'll be damned if anyone be goin around behind me back to do it!"


Repair Die 1d8+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild Die 1d6+2: [2]+2 = 4
Spending a Benny to reroll
Repair Die 1d8+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild Die 1d6+2: [2]+2 = 4
Spending another $#%^&#! Bennie
Repair Die 1d8+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild Die 1d6+2: [1]+2 = 3
Tiberius
Bennies 1 of 3
1 Golden Bennie

Player James
Alts:

Stats
Agility d8 | Smarts d8 | Spirit d4 | Strength d6 | Vigor d6
Pace 6 | Parry 4 | Toughness 6(2)

Frequently used skills
Skills:
Agility
  • Athletics d6
  • Fighting d4
  • Shooting d6
  • Stealth d8

Smarts
  • Common Knowledge d6
  • Notice d6
  • Occult d8
  • Repair d8 + 2



Special Abilities


Edges
  • Mr. Fix It: +2 to Repair rolls, half the time required complete repairs with a raise.


Hindrances
  • Major Impulsive - Fun loving and generally tends to leap before he looks.
  • Minor Quirk - Loves playing practical jokes
  • Minor Ugly - Has a face only a mother could love. After a couple drinks.

Code: Select all

[OOC=Notice]
Notice Die [dice]1d6[/dice] 
Wild Die [Dice]1d6[/Dice]

[size=85][color=#8000FF]Temporary Effects: None[/color][/size][/OOC]

User avatar
Triss Nightingale
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

Re: The Docks

Post by Triss Nightingale »

Selune Darkside
1475 Dale reckoning
Round 0

Triss gave a low whistle when she heard the cost of repairs. “So getting that new recovery center I asked for is a no?” She sighed. Can’t have everything. “If we’re stuck here in port for two weeks, you want me to go rustle up some possible contracts, maybe earn a bit of coin for the ship fund?” she asked.
GM
Triss would spend the time Networking for work (or assisting) and Performing for coin. Would you want 12 Performance rolls, or one roll x 12?
Triss Character Tracking
Triss Nightingale Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 5
PP: 10/10
Bennies: 4/3 Golden Bennies: 1
Powers: Healing, Relief, Speak Language
Edges
  • Charismatic: Free Persuasion reroll
Shot and powder: 30
Medic kit: 5/5
Hindrances: Curious, Heroic, Hunted
Low Light Vision: Ignore illumination penalties for Dim and Dark conditions (but not Pitch Darkness)

User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Old Man »

The old man agreed with the Giff, his soft spoken voice requiring an effort to hear that causes others to calm for a moment. "He's right, there is no point not having the best charts. Sometimes the right chart can cut half the time off a trip." Then he starts looking around at the plans.

When the Docks Shipwright begins laying out the cost and time required for the upgrades the old man tenses thinking the costs too high. "We could bankrupt the endeavor..." He begins to say. But when the ships own shipwright speaks up on cutting the cost and over seeing the repairs he relaxes a bit and stops himself.

"I suppose I should take young Braden into town and ensure we have enough supplies and materials for our craft." He says as he turns. "Young Braden, help me out and grab up the list I made yesterday."

Then the two of them head into the port looking for the rest of the supplies they would need.


For some reason Mr Brandt/Old Man still does not have posting permissions. Could you hook your brother up?

Repair 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!! (+2 to the higher) to support the efforts: [7]+[3] = 10


User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Old Man »

As the discussion turns to more subtle work and getting the secret storage built Mr. Brandt cannot help but recall how they used to do things. Those where the days, back wen he had more energy and could run around all day, before he got the comfortable life here on the ship. "I think I would like to help with that. I have some ideas of how we could do it, and get it done right. There are some special techniques we used to use."


I've done a so many things, I sometimes forget them all... Smarts 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [10]+[5] = 15
Raise means Thievery 1d6!! or Wild 1d6!! support: [5]+[5] = 10

Cerulean
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: The Docks

Post by Cerulean »

Cerulean goes and collects ten of the riggers, and has them offload the cargo.
Savage Spelljammer: Cerulean the Elf boatswain https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=5652

User avatar
Ellisto
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Ellisto »

Thievery 14
Thievery (+1 due Old Man Help)
  • Thievery: 1d8!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [4]+1 = 5
    • Bennie Reroll (Includes Elan)
      • Thievery: 1d8!!+3!!: [4]+3 = 7
        Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [3]+3 = 6
      Bennie Re-Reroll
      • Thievery: 1d8!!+3!!: [6]+3 = 9
        Wild: 1d6!!+3!!: [11!!]+3 = 14
    Result: -
Old Man wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:07 am
As the discussion turns to more subtle work and getting the secret storage built Mr. Brandt cannot help but recall how they used to do things. Those where the days, back wen he had more energy and could run around all day, before he got the comfortable life here on the ship. "I think I would like to help with that. I have some ideas of how we could do it, and get it done right. There are some special techniques we used to use."


I've done a so many things, I sometimes forget them all... Smarts 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [10]+[5] = 15
Raise means Thievery 1d6!! or Wild 1d6!! support: [5]+[5] = 10
Using the suggestions from the Old Man, Mr. Brandt, Ellisto comes up with a few ideas for Tiberius to use for the Smuggler's Hold. With some materials that they are able to find, and with some what initially seemed to be mistakes but turned into some interesting diversions, they are able to put together a way to hide some of their cargo from all but the luckiest of searchers.
Last edited by Ellisto on Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ellisto
Toughness: 4
Pace: 5 (d4)
Parry: 4
PP: 15/15
Languages
Common: d6
Dwarfish: d6
Goblin: d6
Halfling: d8
Undercommon: d6
Bennies: 2/4 +2 Golden (Oct23)
Base Amount
+1 due Interlude
-2 for Rerolls for Thievery for Smuggling Hold
-1 for Reroll for Stealth for Grabbing Small Pouch on Docks

User avatar
Captain Blackfoot
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Captain Blackfoot »

Captain blackfoot mostly stares angrily at Jith while the exchange is taking place. He's not really upset, but it would be good to let Jith think that he's upset rather than relieved to be receiving payment. Jith must have needed the undamaged goods more than he wanted to make an example by stiffing us over the damaged goods. Forty thousand can get the Roaring Manticore jamming again. That is top priority.

Before the shipwright is scheduled to appear, Captain Blackfoot meets with Cerulean, @Tiberius, and @Old Man Brandt to discuss damages to the Roaring Manticore and possible renovations. With a budget of forty thousand, it's tight, but with the crew's expertise, the captain is confident that he can get the ship and crew everything they absolutely need to get the Manticore jamming. Captain Blackfoot brings Tiberius with him to meet with the shipwright.

The gnome dives into his spiel about needing thirty eight thousand for the repairs and renovations, and the captain gently strokes and tugs at one of his facial tentacles while listening politely.
Persuasion 1d6!+2: [2]+2 = 4 (-2 Outsider, +4 Support)
Persuasion 1d6!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Reroll
Persuasion 1d6!+2: [5]+2 = 7 (-2 Outsider, +4 Support)
Wild 1d6!+2: [6!, 5]+2 = 13
, "Listen, mate. You've got to make a profit, I get it. Trust me, I know all about profit. Now, twenty percent might have been a tad much, but my enthusiastic engineer has the right idea. Knock six thousand off the price and my crew will help you with the repairs. That frees your workers up to pursue other opportunities, no?"

The captain nods at his own suggestion and continues, "I'm sure you have your own sources for materials, but I'm willing to bet my boys and girls can get a portion of what you need for this job at much better prices than might be available to you. So, you have pick of my crew to help you with your work, and the ones who can't tell a hammer from a saw will track down premium discounted materials. What do you say?"
Captain Blackfoot
Captain Blackfoot, Captain of the <Ship Name>
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 6(2); Toughness: 5(0)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Command: +1 to Extras’ Shaken recovery rolls in Command Range (5").
  • Infravision & Low Light Vision: Ignore dim and dark penalties. Also ignore total darkness when dealing with creatures that emit body heat.
  • Rabble Rouser: Once per turn, affect all foes in a Medium Blast Template with an Intimidation or Taunt Test.
  • Unarmored Hero: When not wearing any armor (ignoring shields), add a +2 bonus to Soak rolls.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3; Golden Bennies: 1/1
Edit Signature

User avatar
Balanor
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Balanor »

Gambling: 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [5] = 5


Balanor tosses his cards on the table and grins. "Close, but my flight will still trigger." As he sweeps the pot to his side of the table he looks at his fellow players. "This is fun but cards is more a way to pass time rather than make money. If you want to make money you need to know where to get it. For example, if you were to subsidise a trade route you would get a portion of the profits. Of course there are risks involved and that is why you need to know your cargo is in good hands. If any of you are interested I know that the Roaring Manticore is in port getting some refits and will be looking for cargo soon. Go check them out."

As he finishes shuffling the deck he then starts dealing. "So let's see what this hand brings."

User avatar
Triss Nightingale
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

Re: The Docks

Post by Triss Nightingale »

Networking for ship parts at a better price 1; Crit Fail
Persuasion 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Charismatic free reroll
Persuasion 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Benny to reroll
Persuasion 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Critical Fail 6; Stunned
Critical Fail 2d6: [1, 5] = 6
Networking to find work 9; Raise
+1 support from Balanor
Persuasion 1d6!!+1: [8!!]+1 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+1: [7!!]+1 = 8
Performance for gold 27! Raise for 150 gold
Performance 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [27!!] = 27
Selune Darkside
1475 Dale reckoning
Round 0

As the ship was being repaired, Triss spent her time in port. She hustled between the shipwrights that sold supplies, and the trader’s union and other places that posted jobs so she could look for cargo or work for the Roaring Manticore. She also wasn’t above giving a performance at a tavern or two to earn some coin, a performance she killed! She was so in the zone, and the audience was lost in her music.
Triss Character Tracking
Triss Nightingale Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 5
PP: 10/10
Bennies: 3/3 Golden Bennies: 1
Powers: Healing, Relief, Speak Language
Edges
  • Charismatic: Free Persuasion reroll
Shot and powder: 30
Medic kit: 5/5
Hindrances: Curious, Heroic, Hunted
Low Light Vision: Ignore illumination penalties for Dim and Dark conditions (but not Pitch Darkness)

Cerulean
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: The Docks

Post by Cerulean »

Cerulean will go over the suggestions he has for where to start repair work, noting where the most damage is as well as what could be finished quickly.

"The aft mast didn't take as much damage as I thought. It'll be easy to repair it, so I'd like to have a couple of riggers do it immediately."

He listens for a bit as the discussion goes on.

"I had my guys sort out the pieces that looked like they could be reused. They're in a couple of piles in the hold, now that the cargo has been picked up."

Once the captain makes his decision Cerulean goes to help implement it.
Savage Spelljammer: Cerulean the Elf boatswain https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=5652

Technospawn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Technospawn »

Triss Nightingale wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:05 am

As the ship was being repaired, Triss spent her time in port. She hustled between the shipwrights that sold supplies, and the trader’s union and other places that posted jobs so she could look for cargo or work for the Roaring Manticore. She also wasn’t above giving a performance at a tavern or two to earn some coin, a performance she killed! She was so in the zone, and the audience was lost in her music.
Triss sat in front of the fat human merchant asking about cargo but her mind was wondering and more focused on the repairs to the ship. She was snapped of her thoughts by a sharp humph. "you lost a portion of your last cargo and I hear that Jith is not happy. Why should I trust you with my goods. I don't want to lose any."

Triss looked at the merchant and tried to assure him that the cargo will make it there safe. The merchant looked at her hard and said "I need a load taken to Waterdeep on Toril. I will be sending a couple friends with it to make sure nothing happens to my goods. Once you unload the cargo, you will drop the friends in Skullport. I will pay 3000 gold for the load. Do not disappoint me, I am not as forgiving as Jith"

Mentally Triss took note for she knew that Jith never forgave.
Captain Blackfoot wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:48 pm

Before the shipwright is scheduled to appear, Captain Blackfoot meets with Cerulean, @Tiberius, and @Old Man Brandt to discuss damages to the Roaring Manticore and possible renovations. With a budget of forty thousand, it's tight, but with the crew's expertise, the captain is confident that he can get the ship and crew everything they absolutely need to get the Manticore jamming. Captain Blackfoot brings Tiberius with him to meet with the shipwright.

The gnome dives into his spiel about needing thirty eight thousand for the repairs and renovations, and the captain gently strokes and tugs at one of his facial tentacles while listening politely. "Listen, mate. You've got to make a profit, I get it. Trust me, I know all about profit. Now, twenty percent might have been a tad much, but my enthusiastic engineer has the right idea. Knock six thousand off the price and my crew will help you with the repairs. That frees your workers up to pursue other opportunities, no?"

The captain nods at his own suggestion and continues, "I'm sure you have your own sources for materials, but I'm willing to bet my boys and girls can get a portion of what you need for this job at much better prices than might be available to you. So, you have pick of my crew to help you with your work, and the ones who can't tell a hammer from a saw will track down premium discounted materials. What do you say?"
The gnome looked sharply at all the crewmembers trying to tell him how to do his job. "alright alright, I'll do it for 32,000 but if any of them slow me down I will double the price. We will have her sky ready in a jiff." Turning he stalked up the dock muttering about ingrates and rapscallions.
GM Stuff
Initiative

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000] Initiative[/b]
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions. Ties can be broken by an athletics roll.
[list][*][b]Lowest card goes first[/b]
[*][b]Quick rerolls 41 or higher[/b]
[*]1, 2, 3, 4 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 4 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Savage Realms Bennies
GM = 7/7 Jarierth = 0/2

User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Old Man »

Slow him dow? Mr. Brandt laughed to himself a little. When he was younger and had a little more energy, he would have whipped this ship into shape in half them time, and left fresh saw dust in the bellows while he was at it.

User avatar
Ellisto
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: The Docks

Post by Ellisto »

Notice 15
Notice (+2 due Alertness)
  • Notice: 1d8!!+2!!: [13!!]+2 = 15
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [1]+2 = 3
    Result: 15 - Success with 2 Raises!!!
Stealth 7
Stealth: 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
  • Bennie Reroll (+2 due Elan)
    • Stealth: 1d8!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
      Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [2]+2 = 4
Result: 7 - Success or 7 on Opposed Roll
Wandering around the Selune Darkside, Ellisto thought now was the time to see what there was to see here. He wasn't the most experienced at this whole "Spelljamming", but he knew people. There were DEFINITELY some interesting people at this dockside. Trusting in his blessing from Tymora, Ellisto has gone exploring, going person watching. There were Persons of ALL types, shapes, colours, and sizes.

Looking around through the marketplace, Ellisto also picked up some new spices. After a quick smell of them, he found a few to use on some of the dishes he had planned for second and third breakfasts, as well as second lunch.

After he finishes his shopping, Ellisto continues wandering, letting Tymora guide him. After almost an hour of further wandering, Ellisto sees a goblin discretely stash a small pouch in a dark alleyway before moving on. As the goblin turned the corner out of the alleyway, however, he was grabbed by a pair of large Orcs who just lifted him and 'Walked' him away down the street. After he was sure that they were gone, Ellisto made his way to the alley and, after making sure nobody was watching, pocketed the small pouch that he found in the alley.

Best to look at this later on the ship. I want to be surrounded by friends before I risk whatever is going to happen to that Goblin to happen to me.
Ellisto
Toughness: 4
Pace: 5 (d4)
Parry: 4
PP: 15/15
Languages
Common: d6
Dwarfish: d6
Goblin: d6
Halfling: d8
Undercommon: d6
Bennies: 2/4 +2 Golden (Oct23)
Base Amount
+1 due Interlude
-2 for Rerolls for Thievery for Smuggling Hold
-1 for Reroll for Stealth for Grabbing Small Pouch on Docks

Locked

Return to “Adventures”