Back into the Flow

Post Reply
Technospawn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Back into the Flow

Post by Technospawn »

Faerun Sword Coast
1475 Dale reckoning
Early Morning


The crew was glad to finally be away from that terrible port and rid of the "cargo". After repairs to the ship and other cost they had barely made 50 gold each. Not a lot of coin to risk their neck for. Hopefully this new cargo would pay more. Just transport some rare alchemical component to Eberron. And the components were only a little illegal so the risk should be low.

The Manticore cleared the entrance to the cave and began to sail out into open waters just as the sun cleared the horizon astern. Such a beautiful day and the sea was calm. What could possible go wrong?

Roll Notice and then take 1 action accordingly
You spot an ship off the starboard beam coming at you fast. It is an Orc Frigate.

You see the orc ship coming fast and as you turn to call the alarm you see a Nautiloid directly astern hidden in the rising sun.
GM Stuff
Initiative

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000] Initiative[/b]
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions. Ties can be broken by an athletics roll.
[list][*][b]Lowest card goes first[/b]
[*][b]Quick rerolls 41 or higher[/b]
[*]1, 2, 3, 4 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 4 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Savage Realms Bennies
GM = 7/7 Jarierth = 0/2
User avatar
Ellisto
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Ellisto »

Notice: 1d8: [7] = 7
Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Result: 7 - Success.


Well, that run was exciting... maybe the next one will also be profitable. I was at least able to pick up a bit of herbs from back home. They should be perfect for a rub I am planning for the roast chicken that I will start up in an hour. That should give it enough time to cook through before we enter the flow and I need to shut off the fires.

With a lucky glance out of the porthole from in the galley, Ellisto is able to catch a glance of the incoming
Orc Frigate
.

"GUYS, we have incoming off to the starboard Beam! Someone alert the Captain!"

Drawing upon his innate store of magic, Ellisto calls upon his Luck to keep him
Using Deflection (Self, Ranged Attacks, 2 PP)
Spellcasting: 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Result: 5 - Success. -2 to be hit by Ranged Attacks
Last edited by Ellisto on Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toughness: 4
Pace: 5 (d4)
Parry: 4
PP: 20/20
Sling Stones: 20/20
Languages
Common: d6
Dwarfish: d6
Goblin: d6
Halfling: d8
Undercommon: d6
Bennies: 5/6
  • Base Amount
    -1 due Reroll for Round 1 Back Into the Flow Escape
User avatar
Cerulean
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Cerulean »

Cerulean is busy keeping the riggers at work. He climbs down the main mast when he looks up.

He sends word for his crew to get ready for action.

Notice
Dice rolls
Notice 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [23!!] = 23
Last edited by Cerulean on Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Savage Spelljammer: Cerulean the Elf boatswain https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=5652
User avatar
Jarvis Belloch
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Jarvis Belloch »

1d6!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [1] = 1


Jarvis stood strolled the deck of the ship as it pulled out of the cave. It was a beautiful day, nice enough to kick back and enjoy a few apples and onions. But the lack of coin coming in could give the crew ideas and idle hands were Asmodeus' playthings. So the big giff barked out orders to those on the deck he could see to take care of this or that, despite the ship being in tip top shape for sailing the open waters. He was admonishing a poor crewman about a cannon being properly secured (although it only moved a fraction of an inch when he pushed it) when something caught his eye off the starboard bow.

Was that an
orc frigate
?!


"Belay that order sailor, fetch me spyglass and tell Zicks to get up that rigging to get a better look at what's out there. Now man! Move with a purpose!"
Jarvis
Jarvis Belloch, Master of Arms of the Roaring Manticore
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (2)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Arcane Resistance, Marksman, Improvisational Fighter
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 2/3; Golden Bennies: 0
User avatar
Triss Nightingale
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Triss Nightingale »

Triss Notice 5
Notice 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Trin Notice 8
Notice 1d8!!+2: [6]+2 = 8
Wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Outside Waterdeep
1475 Dale reckoning
Round 0

Triss sat out of the way of the crew as they did their thing sailing the ship out of Skullport. Not technically a sailor, she didn’t need to help with rigging and whatnot unless there was an emergency. Her infirmary was freshly stocked. And now the young bard picked out a new tune on her lute where she relaxed in a coil of rope.

Trin was nearby, looking through a couple new books they had gotten for the infirmary.

“Did you write to your dad?” Triss asked Trin.

Trin looked up and nodded. “I let him know I’m okay,” she said.

Triss smiled and nodded, then looked out over the water, admiring the sun on the waves. Then she frowned, though. “Uh oh,” Triss said, getting up. “Get to your station.”

Trin saw it and nodded, even as others in the crew were starting to yell. “That isn’t all!” Trin said, pointing aft toward the rising sun.

Trin retrieved her light crossbow and returned as Triss started up a sharp, quick, staccato tune on her lute, the song flowing over the ship to encourage speed of action and alertness and inspire bravery, and also protect them from any magic that might come their way.

Limited Free Action: Inspire Heroics to get 5 Inspiration tokens
Countersong: The bard and all allies within 5” (10 yards) get a free reroll when opposing enemy spell effects or attempting to recover from them. This includes rolls to recover from any magical effect.

***

Inspiration Tokens: 5 (until end of combat)
Triss Character Tracking
Triss Nightingale Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 8 (2)
PP: 10/10
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Healing, Relief, Speak Language
Edges
  • Charismatic: Free Persuasion reroll
  • Elven Magic: Free reroll when resisting enemy powers.
  • Healer: Free reroll on healing
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore Dim and Dark penalties
  • Inspire Heroics: Get inspiration
  • Countersong: Rerolls to resist magical effects
Bolts: Case 5/5 x2; 40
Hindrances: Curious, Heroic, Hunted
Trin Character Tracking
Trin Kholin Character Sheet
Pace: 8 (d8); Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2)
Crossbow bolts: 30
Edges: Level Headed
Hindrances: Impulsive, Secret (minor), Young (minor)
User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Old Man »

Notice 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [7]+[5] = 12


Seeing the ship the Old Man was annoyed and instantly began grumbling. "Always another headache. Well, boy we better get to work to prepare for this trouble." He says to his young apprentice. Seeing everyone else relaying orders and making the condition known The Old Man did not feel the need to shout a warning. So instead Mr. Young and The Old Man began preparing making sure they were ready for when the ship got close. If all went well, they could escape this situation with little difficulty.
User avatar
Captain Blackfoot
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Captain Blackfoot »

Notice 1d6!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [1] = 1
CBF sees nothing, but her crew does.


Captain Blackfoot entered port an Ilithid and Malvir brought him back several days later in the guise of a human woman. It is a strange thing, but she wears his hat and even seems to walk upon the same charred and blackened wood peg. She even barks orders out with the same aura of command as the captain, which she does now.

"@Jarvis Belloch!" Captain Blackfoot bellows, "Man the weapons. I want everything we have ready to fire. Helmsman! Why aren't we changing course? If a single crate gets damaged it's coming out of your pay! Get a new heading from the @Old Man."

She's not all bluster, though, and she stands amongst the crew
Anyone within Command range gains Support +1 to Boating rolls.
Inspire Boating - Battle 1d8!: [4] = 4
Wild 2 1d6!: [2] = 2
as they're needed. Everyone knows where they need to be and what to do. The crewmen and women bustle about their tasks efficiently.
Captain Blackfoot
Captain Blackfoot, Captain of the <Ship Name>
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 6(2); Toughness: 5(0)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Command: +1 to Extras’ Shaken recovery rolls in Command Range (5").
  • Infravision & Low Light Vision: Ignore dim and dark penalties. Also ignore total darkness when dealing with creatures that emit body heat.
  • Rabble Rouser: Once per turn, affect all foes in a Medium Blast Template with an Intimidation or Taunt Test.
  • Unarmored Hero: When not wearing any armor (ignoring shields), add a +2 bonus to Soak rolls.
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 3/3; Golden Bennies: 1/1
Edit Signature
User avatar
Balanor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Balanor »

As Balanor turned the ship another point off the wind he shook his head. "You know Andros, I am sure I have been in worse places than that but I am having difficulty remembering any right now."

Andros, standing behind and to the right of Balanor, just grinned slightly. He knew that as long as 'his boss' was complaining that things were going well.

As they both

Balanor Notice: 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [2] = 2

Andros Notice: 1d6!: [2] = 2
the horizon Balanor glanced over his shoulder. "Do you see that?" he asks pointing. Andros' look follows the pointing finger but he has to shake his head. "No sir, I am afraid I am not sure what you are indicating."

Balanor just nods his head. "Your young eyes should be able to see that. Oh well."

Parry: 5; Toughness: 6 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 15/15
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Background (Magic), Level Headed, Power Points



Parry: 5; Toughness: 6
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
Technospawn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 331
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:28 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Technospawn »

Faerun Sword Coast
1475 Dale reckoning
Early Morning
Round 0


As the crew scrambled to get ready for the fight, the deck turned into well oiled chaos. Officers were shouting orders and sailors were scurrying to do as ordered. As the seconds ticked by it was was clear that at least one of the ships would catch them. Any move they made to escape one would let the other get closer. Letting either ship get close would be disastrous. It was clear they needed a plan and a good one if the crew and ship were going to make it out intact.


Dramatic Task
Each task needs 8 tokens in 5 rounds. Rolling on more than one task requires a multi action penalty. You can roll directly on the task or choose to support someone else performing the task. Standard support rules apply.

1. Slow down the opposing ships. All Attacks are at long range and the ship at sea is an unstable platform.
  • Critical Failure - You screw up and you or your ship takes a wound and you "Distract" the other crew members that are trying to perform this task.
  • Failure - You failed to slow the other ship and you get no token.
  • Success - Your plan worked and you get 1 token
  • Raise - You should be the captain. I mean look at you, your plan was brilliant and you get 2 tokens.


2. Get away from the opposing ships. This is difficult and all rolls are at -2
  • Critical Failure - Your actions cost you ground and you lose 1 token. You become flustered and your next action is at -2.
  • Failure - You failed to get ahead and you get no token.
  • Success - Your plan worked and you get 1 token
  • Raise - You should be the captain. I mean look at you, your plan was brilliant and you get 2 tokens.


3. Support one of the tasks above. Acting like a cohesive crew is good so no penalty to these rolls.
  • Critical Failure - Your actions are disastrous and you "Distract" whomever you were supporting.
  • Failure - You failed to help.
  • Success - Your plan worked and you add +1 support
  • Raise - You should be the captain. I mean look at you, your plan was brilliant and you get +2 support.

GM Stuff
Initiative

Code: Select all

[b][color=#BF0000] Initiative[/b]
I will roll 1d56 for each of your initiative cards. I do not reroll duplicates, instead there are 2 extra Joker positions. Ties can be broken by an athletics roll.
[list][*][b]Lowest card goes first[/b]
[*][b]Quick rerolls 41 or higher[/b]
[*]1, 2, 3, 4 are considered Jokers
[*]Cards divisible by 4 are considered Clubs for hindrances affected by Clubs (excepting 4 which is a joker).[/list][/color][/b]
Savage Realms Bennies
GM = 7/7 Jarierth = 0/2
User avatar
Balanor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:15 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Balanor »

With an
Boating: 1d6!: [6!, 3] = 9
Wild: 1d6!: [5] = 5
of wind and tide Balanor positions the boat to take the most advantage of both. He puts a little extra distance between them and their pursuers. No the rest need to get those ships to stop following and it will all be fine.

Two tokens for task 2.

Parry: 5; Toughness: 6 (2)
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
PP: 15/15
Active Powers: none
Hindrances: Arrogant, Impulsive
Edges: Ace, Arcane Background (Magic), Level Headed, Power Points



Parry: 5; Toughness: 6
Wounds/Fatigue: 0/0
User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Old Man »

The Old Man looks more annoyed than anything else by the ships coming at them. Thinking he should have been prepared for this with an illusion of some sort he scoffs. "Little left to do, but Fuel the helm. Young Braden please see what you can do about keeping that thing pushed ot its limits. I will try and control its exercise, and perhaps disrupt the approaching ship some."

As the Old Man gets to work he begins using the helm to focus a ship sized anti-magic field on the enemy ships helm room. They may be able to keep some of their inertia, but without control they will not be able to turn or follow nearly so well.


Dispel Spellcasting 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!! and +1 to highest: [11]+[11!!] = 22
Total 12 with a -2 = 10 Raise
User avatar
Old Man
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:39 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Old Man »

Braden Young was a little worried about the job assigned to him. Working the helm was okay when out of combat, but being asked to work it during a battle was stressful. But if the Old Man said he could do it, then he could. "Yes sir," He said getting to work immediately as he began slowly refilling the helm so those on the sails had the velocity needed to control the ship.


Spellcasting 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!! and +1 to highest: [7]+[2] = 9
User avatar
Cerulean
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:01 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Cerulean »

Cerulean will lead his riggers in setting the sails for maximum speed, using Boating and Command.

1 success token.
Dice rolls
!r Boating d8, wild d6: [6]+[4] = 10
Savage Spelljammer: Cerulean the Elf boatswain https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?f=350&t=5652
User avatar
Triss Nightingale
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:42 am

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Triss Nightingale »

Triss and Trin both help to make the ship go faster 4, 3; 1 token for going faster
-2 difficulty
Triss Persuasion 1d8!!-2: [6]-2 = 4
Wild 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Trin Healing 1d8!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0 - ignore. Trin is an Extra
Outside Waterdeep
1475 Dale reckoning
Round 1

Triss and Trin moved around the ship. Triss sang a song to a quick beat, the tempo helping the crewmen move faster, more lively, so they could hopeful escape from the other two ships. “Buck up, lads!” she encouraged. “We can do this. We’re a better crew than a bunch of orcs! Let’s show ‘em how to sail a ship!”

Trin followed close. She had dug out a small bottle of some kind of leaf, a minor stimulant. “Here. Chew this a bit and put it under your tongue or against your cheek,” the young boy said. “It will help keep you alert.”

OOC: Remember to take Inspiration if you need it.

Countersong: The bard and all allies within 5” (10 yards) get a free reroll when opposing enemy spell effects or attempting to recover from them. This includes rolls to recover from any magical effect.

***

Inspiration Tokens: 5 (until end of combat)
Captain Inspiration: +1 Boating
Triss Character Tracking
Triss Nightingale Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 8 (2)
PP: 10/10
Bennies: 3/3
Powers: Healing, Relief, Speak Language
Edges
  • Charismatic: Free Persuasion reroll
  • Elven Magic: Free reroll when resisting enemy powers.
  • Healer: Free reroll on healing
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore Dim and Dark penalties
  • Inspire Heroics: Get inspiration
  • Countersong: Rerolls to resist magical effects
Bolts: Case 5/5 x2; 40
Hindrances: Curious, Heroic, Hunted
Trin Character Tracking
Trin Kholin Character Sheet
Pace: 8 (d8); Parry: 5; Toughness: 8 (2)
Crossbow bolts: 30
Edges: Level Headed
Hindrances: Impulsive, Secret (minor), Young (minor)
User avatar
Ellisto
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Ellisto »

Sorcery to change the winds to slow down the pursuers(-2 due Difficulty)
  • Spellcasting: 1d10!!-2!!: [3]-2 = 1
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [3]-2 = 1
    • Bennie Reroll (+2 due Elan)
      • Spellcasting: 1d10!!: [4] = 4
        Wild: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
    Result: 4 - Success. 1 Token to slow down pursuers.

Intimidation to slow down Pursuit (-2 due Difficulty)
  • Intimidation: 1d6!!-2!!: [4]-2 = 2
    Result: 2 - Fail.

WIP
Toughness: 4
Pace: 5 (d4)
Parry: 4
PP: 20/20
Sling Stones: 20/20
Languages
Common: d6
Dwarfish: d6
Goblin: d6
Halfling: d8
Undercommon: d6
Bennies: 5/6
  • Base Amount
    -1 due Reroll for Round 1 Back Into the Flow Escape
User avatar
Jarvis Belloch
Gold Patron
Gold Patron
Posts: 159
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Re: Back into the Flow

Post by Jarvis Belloch »

Jarvis feels the ship begin to move underneath him and realizes quickly that the plan is to flee and live to fight another day. Still, he heard the Captain.

"You there! Man the starboard cannons! We are coming about. If that frigate closes, we need to be ready!"

The big giff then races to the genoa and
boost Athletics with a raise
before scrambling up to the mast. Attempting to do this right as the boat started to heel from one side to the other while the foresail flapped like it was in the howling depths of Tarterus was no easy
Athletics 1d12!!: [10] = 10 1d6!!: [4] = 4 -2 =8
. But Jarvis new that they needed every wave they could put between them and the Frigate.

Raise: 2 tokens to get away.
Jarvis
Jarvis Belloch, Master of Arms of the Roaring Manticore
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (2)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
Arcane Resistance, Marksman, Improvisational Fighter
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 2/3; Golden Bennies: 0
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”