Strangelight: Workshop Woes

Full Metal Adventures in the Iron Kingdoms
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Strangelight: Workshop Woes

Post by stormwell »

You are about to embark on what we hope is a long a fruitful career delving into the mysteries of creatures and entities beyond the normal limitations of our world. We understand you might have questions about the challenges ahead, so we at the Strangelight Workshop have put together this reference, now in its second volume, to help get you started on the right foot.

The following pages include information about the capabilities and limitations of supernatural entities your fellow agents have observed while in the field. We strive to be as comprehensive as possible, but the Strangelight Workshop is always encountering new, unreal things out there. If you encounter something not described in your copy of
Known Incorporeal & Disembodied Entities, be sure to record as much information as possible and attempt to return it to the closest Strangelight Workshop chapter house or known affiliate. Remember, there are others out there who are relying on you!

—Commander Banning Keller, dictated but not read

Ceryl, northeastern Cygnar, early summer 611 AR

In response to Blackwell Hall, the headquarters of the Strangelight Workshop, receiving an urgent request for aid your team has been dispatched to investigate a suspect haunting at a steamjack workshop within the city of Ceryl proper. Your task is to determine the nature of said hunting and then resolve it. After taking a horse and wagon, loaded with your various pieces of equipment, through the hilly streets of Ceryl you arrive at a brick factory that bears the legend; LOCHLAN BROTHERS 'JACK REPAIRS.

There is a small crowd of spectators milling around outside the building, most of them grease-strained Gobbers but a few Humans as well dressed in workman's or mechanik's clothing. Two men stand out for wearing suits and sharing similar facial features that suggest a family relation, though neither look all that pleased. One of the men addresses you sternly. "You that lot from Blackwell?"

"About time you showed up." The man continued. "Cronan Lochlan, this is my brother Kirwin. We've got a problem that we want dealt with sharpish so we can get back to work."

Kogul the Ogrun Bouncer busied himself with sorting out the equipment on the wagon as the team's investigator Molly stepped forward. "Professor Malone. Yes, we're from Blackwell and intend to resolve the matter as quickly as we can."

"Just let me assemble my team and we'll get started." Molly added, pulling out a notebook and pencil. "A few questions if you don't mind?"

"When did the haunting begin? What have you experienced? Any changes or something happened that may have caused it?" Continued Molly. "We've found it best to get as much information as we can to help determine what we're dealing with, though I'm sure my team may have questions as well."
Algon Waelan

Re: Strangelight: Workshop Woes

Post by Algon Waelan »

Algon stands from the wagon, his person completely concealed by his black cowl, cloak, and already-donned Ghost Hood. Show time. Algon seems to float over to Molly as his footsteps do not make a sound, and he takes position just behind and to her side. He silently waits, and listens, for Molly’s initial interrogation to end before announcing, ”I am a Caller of Blackwell Hall. Do any of you know what that means?” He pauses, expectantly, to build tension, ”It means I have a special talent for getting spooks, specters, and spirits to open up and talk. So, I beg you now to divulge, in confidence, any guilts, doubts, concerns, or sins you think might be responsible for the present poltergeist. Because, when I go in there, there isn’t anything that ghost won’t tell me.” Algon turns slightly, ”This is your chance to tell me your side of the story.” Algon begins to walk towards the arch of the door (or anywhere he thinks looks sufficiently confessional), and motions the first person to move toward him or look guilty with his hand.

Persuasion 3
OOC Comments
Algon's attempt at persuade the workers and/or foremen to provide more details of their more... intimate connections to the haunting.
Persuasion 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 1d6!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Last edited by Algon Waelan on Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
GingerGiant, of GingerGiant#6877 fame.

Characters
Jelena

Post by Jelena »

Jelena steps out and brushes the front of her apron. See looks around at the people there and scowls. She shoulders her toolkit and hefts her very large spanner wrench over her shoulder.

"Alright, where's the f&*%ing Jack?" she mumbles gruffly, waiting for someone to point her in the right direction.
OOC Comments
Just so everyone knows, I'm still looking for a good character picture. The one I have posted is close, but he hair color and body height is wrong.
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

The Lochlan brothers seem put out by the barrage of questions, though they somewhat awkwardly answer after Molly smiled sweetly following input from the rest of the team.

"Well...started round a week or so ago." One of the brothers answered. "Tools being moved, parts being broken and some of the 'jacks moving even with no steam."

"We took over this place coupla months back, came into a bit of money from an inheritance and there's a big demand for 'jack repairs." Continued the brothers. "Guy we brought it was retiring and didn't mention any issues."

"We're all above board here, well aside from being pestered by the Steamo Union."

Kogul, meanwhile, had busied himself unloading equipment like strangelight projectors from the wagon. The mighty Ogrun, with almost unbelievable gentleness, carefully lifted up an enclosed woven basket and placed by Molly's feet. Unexpectedly one of the brothers started having a sneezing fit and cried in alarm as he stumbled backwards. "Gah! Keep that blasted thing away from me!"

"What? The cat?" Asked Molly.

"My brother is allergic to cats." The other Lochlan answered. "He'll be sneezing now for a good few minutes."
Jelena

Post by Jelena »

Jelena, noticing Kogul unloading the equipment, turns and shouts at the 'jack on the wagon.

"Sparky!!! Wake up! Get off that wagon and stand by!" She adds a few gestures to her shouting and the laborjack chugs to life.
Algon Waelan

Post by Algon Waelan »

After a minute in the arch with no takers, Algon senses... presences and ponders what the brothers have said so far. With renewed professionalism, he returns to Molly’s side and furthers the interrogation:
“What does the Steamo Union think you owe them?”

After they answer, Algon begins a new line of inquiry:
“Why, exactly, do you think this is of interest to us? You haven’t mentioned any encounters which could only be explained by contact with the spiritual realm.” Algon calls to the mechanik to support his questioning, ”Jelena, what could cause a ‘Jack to move besides steam? Can’t a sufficiently powerful arcanist move them, too?”

While the brothers respond, his thoughts turn to his spirit synesthesia, the contradictory sense that does not mean what it should. Algon smells back powder and the taste of silver in the presence of spirits, and winces (inwardly) as if near the boom of gunshots, to know their quantity or power.
Last edited by Algon Waelan on Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Characters
UnAngelVerde1

Post by UnAngelVerde1 »

Duganh helped Kogul unload the cart and then went up to the professor, with his armor donned inside his Jamming suit, and broke the safeties to let it fill with gas. So, nice to meet yeh. Duganh Flint, spectral security, or Jamming. My theatral partner here rises a few great questions. Might actually be those krumping Gremlins, rather than a phantom or something of the like. Duganh scanned the entries and machinery. There was all kinds of littl holes to crawl up into. If that's true you're adopting a cat.
Jelena

Post by Jelena »

"Jack don't run if it ain't got no power. 'Cept of course if some kinda magic is pushing it around. Or some kinda supernatural something."

Jelena spit on the ground and look around at Sparky.
stormwell
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by stormwell »

One of the Lochlan brothers walks a short distance down the street sneezing whilst the other brother answered. "The Union has been...aggressive with trying to get our workers to sign-on with 'em. We treat our workers fairly and pay a fair wage, but the Union insists that we abide by their standards."

"You asked if we were hiding something, we answered." The Lochlan brother replied. "Being pestered by the Union is the only trouble we have."

Molly continues to scribble notes in her notebook, though looks up at Duganh's suggestion. "Yes, Gremlins could certainly be a strong candidate here but best to keep an open mind until we've investigated fully. Even if it does prove to be Gremlins, they still full within our remit as Grymkin."

"Gremlins?" The Lochlan brther asked. "We'd heard about 'em, but thought it was nonsense to put us off."
Algon Waelan

Post by Algon Waelan »

stormwell wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:01 am"Being pestered by the Union is the only trouble we have."
Algon smirks under the Ghost Hood, here I thought they had a ghost problem. Let's see what Colossus thinks. Algon retrieves 'Colossus' from the basket, who promptly curls up in his arms. He carries the cat towards the building's entrance while lending it a gentle scratch. As he walks, Algon asks Molly, "What are some common, plural-manifesting entities?"
OOC Comments
Colossus resembles a Maine Coon.

Characters

Return to “Adventures”