Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post Reply
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spoon Fed Edition Video Recap

Darkness fell as you approached the castle of refuge. The moon winked from behind the curtain of grey clouds. The air had a cold chill to it. The oak trees that dotted the approach to Castle Refuge swayed slightly in the north easterly breeze. The Castle over a short time had become a beacon of Hope. Heroes from all over flocked to its banner. A small make shift encampment had settled around the castle housing an overflow of personnel. There was even an evening hangout and bar called the Light House. Patrols, called Castle Guard, regularly kept watch near the surrounding lands. On any given night the lights from the castle and encampment could be seen from at least a couple miles away.

However, it became clear that something was a miss. There were no lights, the patrol that would have meet anyone coming up to the castle did not check in. The surrounding encampment was empty at first glance. No vehicles, no people, no life. Castle Refuge was likewise still, silent, and dark. A soft barely detectable hiss was coming over the Castle Refuge emergency frequency.
More information
It was a Wednesday night so that would put Captain Pender Lumpkiss and the 2nd home guard on duty this night.


A field of wreckage awaited you at the gates of the castle. No less than six glitter boys, half a dozen samsons, and 6 various robot power armors were lying in ruins, burning, and slagged.
Upon closer inspection
The bodies of the pilots are missing, and frankly nothing can be salvaged
The cool air has caused a low level fog to roll around the castle’s exterior effectively forming a ring around it. At first glance the battlements seemed empty. The castle’s main door was wide open its hinges broken as if battered by something heavy. The motor pool hanger at the side entrance of the castle was also open, and the vehicles all gone.
Upon Closer Inspection
The vehicle pool has clearly been emptied, any gear worth anything is gone.
The castle stood dark, a few scorch marks and some of its MDC walls are missing chucks of material, but really it was no more than moderate damage. One question floats to the forefront of your consciousness, Where is everyone.
Druid
You can tell the fog surrounding the castle is not natural
However, you are not entirely alone. It seems as chance would have it others returning to The Castle Refuge have also arrived. Here is a chance to introduce yourself, tell us a bit about what brought you to the castle. Perhaps you are returning from assignment, maybe you are looking to join the tomorrow legion, or perhaps it is just luck that brought you to the castle. There could be other reasons, now is a great chance to explore what has brought you to the castle. There is a bit of a mystery to please also make an action/roll to interact with the scene. The next post will give more info on what you find based on the score of the rolls. If you want to assist someone instead of rolling your action you can do that.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »



This is part 3 of my background story. I’ll also write more on arriving at the Castle in this post.

Full Background here


PART THREE (On coming to Castle Refuge)
I don’t know if it’s fate or just simply a sad coincidence. After pulling a bunch of jobs with Styx, ripping off the CS, I came across the Cyber Knight who gave me the facial scar I got in the Tolkeen War. The one who cut me down and left me for dead.

Styx and I had separated. I miss that woman. Lightning fast. Funny, if a bit moody. Skilled. Inhuman and yet more human than human. One morning before breakfast I awoke in the makeshift crappy resting area in the back of the crappy gas powered Jeep she’d stolen us and she was gone. Just a short note.

“Goda do sumin. Do no! folla me. I see you gin.”

I grinned recalling that note. Still in my pack. As American wasn’t her first language, and most folk didn’t know how to read or write out here in the wasteland it was pretty well done.

Weeks later I pulled the Jeep over onto a dirt shoulder that was as rutted and craggy as the remains of old world asphalt that I’d been bouncing across adjacent some decimated pre city. I pulled my broken binoculars out, looked into the one good hole and nodded. I had seen something.

As I tossed the ‘noks on the seat I stepped out of the he Jeep and started to pull my CP-50 rifle out. I felt the cold tip of a barrel touch the back of my head.

”Well. Damn.”

Giggling erupted behind me and the tip bounced up and down on the back of my head as the guy laughed. Then suddenly I could feel pin pricks of magic and supernatural sprinkle in about me. Teleportation maybe. The laughing fool wasn’t alone.

”Don’t feel too bad fellow. The Giggler is really sneaky. Just leave that big gun in the vehicle, step away from the … whatever this crap heap is and keep your hands where we can see them. We ain’t looking to kill ya just a little bit of scavenging. Sound good?”

I grunted an annoyed affirmative and did as he said, making a point of making a wide turn to take in the situation until I was facing him.

The Giggler was a Crazy. There were several mages, a odd looking D-Bee with owl eyes and grey skin, a Larmac lizard guy with the biggest gun I’ve seen carried not counting Glitter Boys and him. The guy talking. A Cyber Knight. The Cyber Knight. The jackass that cut his noble psi sword across my face and left me to die in Tolkeen.

I kept my face impassive and waited. I needed time anyway. Telekineticly I was slowly moving the CP-50 out the passenger side of the Jeep and getting it positioned under the Jeep. Granted I wasn’t going to be able to get a lot of shots off. I was royally out gunned.

The Knight moved closer to inspect me telling Giggler to stand down.

I might get the Knight. Maybe. Then I was dead. Feeling the trigger weight as I prepared to pull, prepared to blast the Knight, he said the one thing that I wasn’t expecting.

”I’m sorry. Please forgive me.

His marauders all kinda gave him odd looks and the nut job giggled harder, then abruptly stopped and said: ”Hu-what now boss? You just apologize to this mook? You’s kidd’n right Sir Redheart?”

The Cyber Knight smiled softly.

”Nah boys. This so happens to be one of the twenty I’ve seen. These are the Crimson Guard and I am Sir Redheart.”

The ‘boys’ of the Crimson Guard grumbled and shook their heads but moved off as the Knight bowed to me. Apparently they knew what in the hells the Knight was talking about but I was lost. I also had what appeared the best shot I was going to get.

About to pull the trigger I spontaneously ask: ”Why would I forgive you!”

Sir Redheart laughed.

”That is a good question. I think you’ll like my answer. How about instead of you trying to blast me, I feel that threat coming, and I block the shot, you lose and die, how about you let me tell you a little story about dragons, monsters and men. It’s a redemption story. We will even feed ya, a dinner prepared by the world’s happiest cook. Giggler. Dinner time. Crok you’re on watch. We’re camping here.

Sir Redheart sat on the dirt ground, pulled out a flask and motioned me over.

All I could think was phuk it, rather have a drink than die. Besides Tolkeen was years ago. How could I pass on a redemption story.



Psionics (Object Read) Skill d8 and Wild die
1d8: [1] = 1 1d6: [5] = 5
Wow so not fantastic. A 5 on the wild die, a success but, not fantastic.


Arrival at Castle Refuge

I slipped through the concrete barriers at the checkpoint under a night sky so dark it seemed to wrap itself around the Castle like a shadow beast. The fog clung lazily to its base, the heroic headquarters of the Legion, empty, silent, wrong.

I had to smirk at the thought that if I were not exiled from the Coalition States and branded a traitor to humanity I could easily sneak my way to the flagpole and replace it with a CS flag. Single-handedly capturing the whole place on my own. Huzzah Major Mercer! Pfft.

I suppose its not funny, something very unnatural and wrong has happened to this place. In my past as an officer in the CS I had heard stories about the Heroes of the Legion. Humans, non humans, and supposedly monsters all working together.

I know all to well the lies fed to me. I had approached the castle with an open mind in hopes it was a good force. This was quite unsettling. I flipped on comms and still only got a light static hum. Moving into position sul with my stolen CP-50 energy rifle I advanced tactically and keep my eyes open for any danger. Now was the time to use my training as a Rifts Control and Study Group specialist and see what I could glean on the situation.

After an hour of walking the empty halls of the castle and noting the lack of people, gear or anything of use to scavenge I returned to the broken large entrance doors to the castle. Something had definitely made a mess of these blast proof doors.

Swinging the energy rifle around onto my back I placed both of my hands on the cool door. Closing my eyes I prompted the door to show me its past. Reading Objects was one of the things that helped me advance so well in the CS. Ranked up to Major before 40 and headed in a good direction. The Tolkeen War had ended my career. Well, to be fair, I ended my career. I just couldn't abide the CS any longer. I needed to fight for all, not just the fascist empire. As I watched the events unfold my heart sank and I pulled back from the door. I could try watching more but I was pretty sure I heard some one, or someones talking.

Someone had arrived at the castle. I wondered if they were Legion or a new timer like me. Regardless I made my way across the destroyed front lawn of the castle and moved to a low hill that gave me a pretty good view of all directions where I could watch the castle and see who was arriving.


***

The forty something year old exiled CS soldier looked at the recording device he’d been dictating into and sighed. Habits die hard. Smashing the device under his boot heel he sipped at a bottle of water and used the broken binoculars with only one eye piece to keep an eye on the bizarre scene below.
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

<<At a nexus 50 miles from Castle Refuge: Approximately 12 hours ago>>

The morning peace in the battle scarred valley is suddenly disturbed when a rift opens at the small nexus often used by smugglers. Through it is the dark interior of a small Atlantean pyramid, its surfaces covered in frost and ice. A half dozen humanoid figures stand before the portal, three large and heavily furred, the other three of human sized and heavily cloaked. Gestures of farewell, and a tree, are exchanged then the three smaller of figures step through the rift.

One surveys the scars of heavy missile bombardment, the wreck of a CS APC, rocks melted by dragonfire, and more than a few skeletal remains and quips "One of your ops, 'Pas?"

The one with the tree, places the plant carefully on the ground and begins pealing off layers. Getting down to his loose robe and pants the undead slayer seems more at ease. "Actually yes Cass, the 77th saved the world from a splugorth nano-zombie bomb here." Looking over the valley he bows his head to the friends lost here for a moment. It'll be a couple hours walk before we're in radio range of the outer patrols, we should get moving."

He could tell his fellows wanted to stop a moment and warm up, and truth be told so did he. But he wanted to get back to the Castle and his daughter even more. Fatherhood had had a strong effect on the undead slayer, he had even largely forgone missions(at least anything distant) until the Antarctica threat had been discovered to spend more time with her. Even as a toddler it was clear she was a chip of the ole block.

<<25ish mile from Castle Refuge: Approximately 6 hours ago>>

When empty static greets yet another radio check, Antipas suppresses the urge to shake the thing or maybe smack it onto a rock a few time.. lightly.
'Still fucking nothing," he states somewhat pointlessly in an irritated and worried tone. "How about you guys?"

<<At Castle Refuge: Now>>

The last several miles saw complete silence from Antipas as dread grew like a parasite in his stomach. At the sight of the broken defenders he suppresses the urge to break into a sprint. "I'm going to look for Angel." he states, the tone making it clear it was not something he'd be dissuaded from. The hulking tattooed warrior then stalks into the castle.

Passing through the castle outbuildings the story is the same, battle damage but no bodies. And when he gets to his destination what he finds is a foregone conclusion. For several minuets he just stands there, eyes and fists clenched tight as taers roll down his cheeks, his mind both reeling and racing. Eventually he gets some semblance of a grip and begins looking around for anything that might reveal what happened and who was responsible. Powering up his Bright Future Shades to look for any mystic or psionic residue, he starts in child care and works his way back to the courtyard.
Notice for task 13
Modifiers: +2 to sight based
Notice d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild d6!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13
PPE use d6+1: [3]+1 = 4
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Raise w/Psionics to investigate
Psionics to use Presence Sense and Object Reading to find living folks (including the new team!) and learn what she can about what happened here.
ISP used:
Maintain: 1d6/2: [3]/2 = 1.5 = Maintain: 1d6/2: [3]/2 = 1.5 = 2 ISP
Object Reading + Deep Reading = 4 ISP.
Detect Arcana + Presence Sense + Exalted = 1 ISP
Conceal Arcana + Exalted = 1 ISP
Extra ISP from Major Psi = +4 ISP to get +2 to roll.
Total ISP burned: 12

Psionic Investigation:
Psionics 1d10!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild Psionics 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Really? Benny to reroll:
Reroll Psionics 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Reroll Wild Psionics 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

Final Stats:
Bennies: 2/3
ISP: 18/30
Home again, at last.... It was... odd, returning to Castle Refuge like this.

She cast her mind back to the battle at the frozen valley. Suborning Smelly Kelly's commandos and making them fight the creatures in the valley had irritated him immensely, but he'd been too busy trying to round up his Faerun captives (most of whom, she learned later, got away, though many died or were captured later on, instead) to make an issue of it right then.

And so Field Team Six had gone onward, locating the entity behind the power manifest in that awful place. Ophelia had tried to slip in unseen, but had been caught, and before she could even fully comprehend what type of... thing... she was seeing, her frail heart had begun to fail again.

Separated from the others, she figured she was done, finally.

And then she heard a beautiful, calming voice in her head, there in the dark place underground.

I can help you. You will survive, but you will not be able to return for some time.

I can't abandon my team....

If you die here, will they not be just as bereft? I will make sure they know you survived--better to give them that hope.

It was a sound argument, and really, Ophelia didn't want to die. Already, it was growing hard to think. What do I have to do?

There is a Ley Line above this cavern. You must become one with the energies within it. You will retain your sense of self, but you will be cut off from the rest of the world for a time. I will show you how.

And Ophelia felt herself being guided, channeling her considerable psychic might into her own being, then pushing that up into Ley Line above. She thought, at the last moment, that she hard a psychic scream from the entity, enraged that it had lost its victim, and then, nothing. No, not nothing. Peace. Incredible, soothing tranquility.

She emerged from the Ley Line almost a year later, and then spent months in Psyscape. First, as soon as she was corporeal, there had been the team of mystics who had helped her recover from the heart-attack (it left her bemused that she returned to the world still suffering from that organ's failure). They had taken her with them, healing her body as they brought her to Psyscape. There, she was given time to recover before she was brought to her rescuers--a group of elders and other respected members of the clan, working behind the scenes to empower and protect their kin.

And now Ophelia was a member in good standing in their ranks. There had been promises made, of course, both to the Inner Circle, and to the City of Psyscape itself. But she ha been taught the techniques--the escape into the Ley Line was only a small part of the wonders they'd shown her. Finally, they informed her that they'd been in touch with Castle Refuge, and arranged for her return. She was even going to be given a pass on being AWOL so long.

And so she traveled home, eager to meet up with any of the team who might've survived the encounter with the Cold Sleep without her....

And then, this.

As soon as it became apparent that things were seriously awry, Ophelia adopted her normal procedure, shifting out of phase, using the ground for cover, and searching carefully and quietly for survivors and anything else she could learn. She opened her mind to locate any survivors, or even see if there were still stragglers from those responsible for this total devastation. In addition, she sought out a high vantage point and used it as a baseline for a psychometric scan, watching as the events unfolded before her mind.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Stoic »

OOC Comments
Survival 1d8!!+2 WD 1d6!!+2: [3]+2+[9!!]+2 = 16
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Antipas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm <<At a nexus 50 miles from Castle Refuge: Approximately 12 hours ago>>

The morning peace in the battle scarred valley is suddenly disturbed when a rift opens at the small nexus often used by smugglers...
Cass laughed as she followed her cousin down the road away from the nexus. It didn’t surprise her at all that Pas would know exactly where he fought who and why. His barely concealed eagerness to get back to his daughter did surprise her, though. Well, then again, not really surprising when she thought about it. She’d seen him like this before, when he couldn’t wait to get back to his wife.

After folding and stuffing most of her arctic layers into a rucksack, Cassiopeia smacked the arm of the third member of their party and gave him a grin. ”I’m going to run. I feel like I haven’t been able to stretch my legs in months.” She took off at a fast jog, past Antipas and down into the valley. When Pas caught up with her, they ran shoulder to shoulder at a steady pace meant to cover miles without being tiring. They’d traveled this way many times during their childhood training, and their comfort with the pace and each other showed. Cass welcomed the runner’s high that came with the rhythmic footfalls and measured breaths.

Later Cass stretched her long legs on a rock while Pas fiddled with his radio. Luke was just catching up to them when Antipas asked if they were able to pick up a signal. Cass shook her head. Worry churned in her stomach and she could see it plain as day in the set of Pas’s jaw. They didn’t stop to eat, just pulled rations out of their bags and kept moving at a quick walk.
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 pm A field of wreckage awaited you at the gates of the castle. No less than six glitter boys, half a dozen samsons, and 6 various robot power armors were lying in ruins, burning, and slagged.
The wind whipped at her open jacket and dark hair as she stood on the top of the hill overlooking the valley that held Castle Refuge and its encampment. Abandoned? No… too much was left behind, destroyed. Cass pulled the tails of her coat tight across her body, though the shiver that ran through her had nothing to do with cold. When Antipas loped away, intent on finding Angel, she closed her eyes and turned to press her face into Luke’s shoulder. She stood there for a long minute, breathing deep and pushing away the anger and guilt that surged within her over not being here to protect those that called this place home. Finally she raised her head and looked at the sky.

”It’ll be dark soon. If we’re going to look for survivors or clues, we better get started. If I know Pas, he’ll cover every inch of the castle. I’ll head down there. Gods, but I can’t think of who or what would have been able to do this.” She shook her head and got to work looking for anything that could help her make sense of this eerie battlefield.

Notice 12
Roll Notice Checks
Field Intel +2 Notice
Notice 1d8!! +2: [10!!] = 10 +2=12
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

The journey to Castle Refuge had not been simple. Tasura chose the closest pyramid which could be reasonably expected to provide safe ingress and egress. Close was relative. It would prove to be quite the journey by foot.

Tasura relied upon his stone master powers to keep him safe during his trek. He focused on avoiding trouble rather than overcoming it. He could move through the earth, so that was enough to escape most dangers. Likewise, finding shelter was simple with his abilities. The most dangerous threats were extra planar entities which could follow him through the earth if they so desired, and such creatures could be dealth with easily enough by a stone master with a pocket full of salt which Tasura just so happened to have.

As he tracked his progress via landmarks and friendly passerbys, he contemplated his mission. The New Navy had heard of these Tomorrow Legionaries and seemed to believe them to be a force for good. His people were interested in forging ties with such entities, but they had to be proven worthy first.

Approaching the castle left doubts in Tasura's mind. Perhaps they were worthy allies, but if they could not defend their base of operations were they worthy allies? Regardless, he had come a long ways to contact these people. If he could help them in their hour of need, perhaps it would be a good step towards forging an alliance.

The slagged suits of power armor, vehicles and doorways left Tasura little doubt that he would find anything good here. One small blessing, or perhaps curse for the legionaires, is that he did not see a single body. Either they were alive, and probably captive, or there was a necromancer loose with an army of undead at their beck and call.

Rather than explore the castle room by room, Tasura decided to use his mastery over stone to learn what he can. Castles built with stone which readily shares it secrets to someone like him. He touched the castle walls and closed his eyes. Tasura
Spellcasting: 5
Spellcasting 1d10!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [5] = 5
feeling for vibrations, heat signatures, supernatural entities or any other secrets the stonework could share.
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Man. I didnt't see nothin
Big Joe's Notice 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [2]+[3] = 5
The trip to refuge was kind of boring for Big Joe. Thinking back he could hardly remember any details. There was that one fight with the rhino buffalo, but that thing hardly broke any of his bones at all and was not really even worth telling people about.

This place was supposed to be the place a hero could show his skills but with no one here he was a little confused who he was supposed to offer his services to. Looking around he saw one of the other people who arrived and headed over to chat with them.

“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”

After the greeting he decided to walk around the facility with them as they worked, he was amazed, not seeing any bodies it was obvious the people left. But maybe it was some sort of arcane anomaly. Opening his arcane senses he reached out trying to figure out what caused this effect.

Moving through he thought it was strange, there was a plate on the table with food only half eaten as if the person just got up and walked away.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Notice 1d4!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5

The time in Antarctica had been some of the coldest moments of Luke's long life. Seems that the cold triggered something in his immune system and much to his and Cass's dismay, Luke returned to his bio-mechanical cocoon, Xander.

Stepping forth from the pyramid with @Antipas and @Cassiopeia , Luke exhaled and paled inside of Xander.

"Damn! One place .. ," Luke began.
"... we aren't excited to see," Xander finished out loud.

Violent and tragic memories played through Luke's mind.

Cass tapped Luke on the shoulder and pointed out that Pas was on the run, so Luke followed behind the cousins. Xander did the walking while Luke did the thinking.

Looking at Cass and Antipas running ahead of him, he couldn't remember how many times he had almost referred to them, as ''The Twins.'
Antipas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm <<25ish mile from Castle Refuge: Approximately 6 hours ago>>

When empty static greets yet another radio check, Antipas suppresses the urge to shake the thing or maybe smack it onto a rock a few time.. lightly.
'Still fucking nothing," he states somewhat pointlessly in an irritated and worried tone. "How about you guys?"
Even with Xander's long range communications, 25 miles out and there was nothing but radio silence. Looking at his friends, "Radio silence from Castle Refuge," commented Luke.
"Something serious is going on," finished Xander.

Luke did not say what everyone else was thinking, "Proceed with caution." It was the way it was with the three of them, somethings just didn't need to be said.


As the road crested the hills east of Castle Refuge, Luke stopped in utter shock. Telepathically to Xander, "Are your optics okay or are you messing with me?"
Xander responded, "All systems are optimized and functioning."

"What in the Three Galaxies, happened here? Where is the Tomorrow Legion?"
Cassiopeia wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:05 pm The wind whipped at her open jacket and dark hair as she stood on the top of the hill overlooking the valley that held Castle Refuge and its encampment. Abandoned? No… too much was left behind, destroyed. Cass pulled the tails of her coat tight across her body, though the shiver that ran through her had nothing to do with cold. When Antipas loped away, intent on finding Angel, she closed her eyes and turned to press her face into Luke’s shoulder. She stood there for a long minute, breathing deep and pushing away the anger and guilt that surged within her over not being here to protect those that called this place home. Finally she raised her head and looked at the sky.

”It’ll be dark soon. If we’re going to look for survivors or clues, we better get started. If I know Pas, he’ll cover every inch of the castle. I’ll head down there. Gods, but I can’t think of who or what would have been able to do this.” She shook her head and got to work looking for anything that could help her make sense of this eerie battlefield.
Luke consoled Cass, while taking in the scene in front of him. When she had recovered, Luke joined Cass as she began looking for clues and for Pas.

Over the 77th's old radio frequency, Xander pinged Pas for his location.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spoon fed video recap
The Castle of Refuge remains silent and dark, the ring of fog around it is low to the ground hovering. Those looking at the castle with detect arcana can tell the fog was created by a magical effect and is some how intrinsically linked to the Castle. The clouds above have all but dispersed revealing a large moon shining down. It quickly seems that only you seven are all that is left. Eventually the group comes back together to share and discuss their next move.
If the castle could talk to the stone master


The Castle is fairly new, although the stone grew older the further you probe its depths. The rock and mortar feel tired and battered as if assaulted physically by an overwhelming force. At first, you can sense something supernatural walking from the center of the castle to a court yard. Then as you expand your awareness, something deep below the castle trembles with malice at your probe. It is a dark place, sealed shut. Most would not know how to get there and could get lost in the catacombs that are buried underneath the castle. But you know it is deep in the southwest portion of the castle. Zooming out from the darkness you can see it is intrinsically linked to one of the castle towers. A surge of energy flows from the top to the bottom feeding this dark cage.

Suddenly a vision from the stone enters your mind.
A beautiful woman, with golden hair and ruby lipped smile. She embraces you on your journey. Seductively, she whispers, ”Free me, and we will be together.”
Antipas scours the halls
It is eerie inside the castle. Usually a bustle of people, and now dead quiet. Power is out throughout the castle. Two things strike Antipas as odd.
One, passing by Tera Silverforge’s shop you almost do a double take. On the counter you think you see a small shimmer, as if a shadow was moving.
Crumpled on one side of the shop's counter is a cloak made out of a dark foreboding leather. Removing the item off the counter makes it visible, but putting it on the counter it melds with the nearby shadows effectively turning invisible. It would seem the counter itself some how was designed to give a trickle of power to technowizard items. You have found a Shadow Cloak (TW).
. Two, on the first floor of the castle, in the southwest corner you find a room with some kind of power. The room is a strange amalgamation of horror and technical intrigue. The remains of a headhunter head have been hooked up to a video monitor. The head itself seemed adorned with all sort of cybernetic equipment, it was battle scarred and then some. Something must have exploded near it, and it was a wonder how it remained intact. The monitor flashes to life, and plays once. Then the lights go out in the room.
Video Playback
The video playback fizzed briefly as the connection between the cyborg’s eye and screen stabilized. A young woman snapped into focus. She was about 15 to 20, maybe 5’8” with long hair. The video was in black and white. She was peering closely at the recording device embedded in the cyborg’s skull. She shook her head mildly disgusted, “I’ll say this for you Pender. Using your own brother like this is gross. Are you sure this will work, you some jack of all trades?”

From behind the camera Pender Lumpkis’ voice retorted muffled but straining with emotion, “Yeah…. Ted… There wasn’t much left…. Oh god… Mmm… Ughh. Almost done Mercy. We should be able to record for a minute or so.” Pender gagged, and softly whispered, “Forgive me Ted…” Moments later he was standing next to Mercy and wiped his hands on his tattered pants. Both looked ragged, bloodied, and lucky to be alive.

The woman named Mercy nudged Pender with an elbow. Pender looked up from the ground clearly trying to get his thoughts in order. He looked at the camera with desperate eyes and trembling lips, “Yeah… Ok. First, if you are looking at this. Please bury my brother. We never got on all that well. He and I… He never deserved this.” Pender wiped his eyes briefly, “Mercy and I were the only ones to make it as far as I can tell. They took anything, everyone, and everything of value. Raided Tera Silverforge’s private stores, hit the armory, even took all the vehicles. Even that kids damn weird power armor…. What was his name Mercy? You know that kid the 13th found on their first mission, got his leg blown off in Gloom…” Pender paused for a moment thinking. Something sternly babbled off camera and Mercy stepped away for a moment.

Faintly, off camera Mercy in a bit of a sing song voice whispered, “Hush little Angel, Hush little Angel. You ready to go for a ride?”

Pender coughed and resumed, “I don’t remember anymore… Point is. Mercy is going to take the remaining Glitterboy and follow them. Anyone who is listening lock onto to her signal. Hopefully… Hopefully you’ll be able to bring everyone back.”

Mercy, still off camera called to Pender, “Looks like we are heading East. What are you going to do?”

Pender rubbed his tired eyes, “I need to make sure the Obsidian Cage remains secure so she can never leave… And then… I don’t know. Find others maybe?” He shook his head realizing just how alone they were. “Ok, I think that is it…. Did I leave anything out Mercy?”

Mercy walked back into frame hefting a small child over her shoulder(the child wore a familiar dark jacket). As she adjusted for the weight she shook her head disbelieving Pender, “Like maybe you should tell them who took everyone Pender!” Pender smiled sheepishly about to say something but an explosion rocked the camera tilting it to one side. The screen fizzed and blurred, when it stabilized part of it was covered by some kind of dark cloth, like the remains of a jacket.
Then the feed went dead.
Object Read, Mercer at the front doors
Rewind (About 4 days ago you get a general sense of a massive battle at the Castle. The doors sadly hold no details as to who exactly the attackers were. What follows are a few of the glimpses into the recent memory of the Castle Front Door.

-10 hours ago
  • A small feline cat approached the door and licked it.
-2 days ago
  • Two cyber knights accompanied by a blue owl looking humanoid walked in stopped at the doors surveying the carnage. One of the knights growled, “Merctown, Whykin, and now the Castle… They took out the enter unit of glitterboy’s. Prosek’s balls Coake who did this?” The other cyber knight grimaced, “We’ll find out in due course my friend… First we need to secure the Obsidian Cage. With power out we need to reinforce it until your people can arrive.”

    The humanoid blue owl hooted, “ Let’s move then. Gargoyles and Brodkill have been spotted in the area.” The three entered, after about 30 minutes they ran/flew out. Coake and the owl looked covered in burn marks and soot, like they had been caught in some kind of blast.
-3 days ago
  • A woman and a man pushed some rubble off the base of the door. They pulled most of a headhunter head from the rubble.
    • The woman had red fiery hair, and a youth untouched by wisdom about her. The man, was recognized as Captain Pender Lumpkiss. Number 20 on the coalition’s kill list. Llyboc’s memorandum described him as: as deceptively cunning. Ruthless as any Tomorrow Legion Villain. He orchestrated the destruction of St. Sainte Marie in the Iron Heart state.
-4 days ago
  • A group of men were crouched at the base of the large door. One of them pointed to something coming. The tallest of the defenders, a gleaming headhunter grinned and patted the pointing man’s head. The headhunter was decked out in heavy armor and all sorts of cybernetic enhancements littered his face, he seemed to mouth, Don’t worry.

    The headhunter unslung a vehicular light rail gun and opened fire into the fuzzy darkness (the power only goes about ten yards). After a minute the drum ran dry, and the headhunter raised his fist in victory. One of the defenders quickly pointed to the right: a burst of crackling energy came from the darkness. It hit the head hunter causing it to jolt and jerk, arching with electrical bursts. Also from the right a fury of laser and plasma fire mowed down the defenders and blew apart the head hunter. Pieces of the castle and door frame were likewise damaged, large chunks fell on-top of the defenders burying any that might be alive, say for one. A young juicer struggled out of the heap only to be met with a rapid series of energy blasts. His body fell still on top of the rubble pile.

    A few minutes later, a fog rolled past the doors. It obscured the viewing vision. A few minutes later the fog dissipated, interestingly the fallen juicer’s body was disappeared. A tendril of the fog whipped back searching for something through time. It lanced toward you touching your mind. It felt like some kind of living organism, like a parasite. It fed off fear, off of despair!
Fear Roll
Something in that fog was living and it touched your mind briefly.
Some food is fresh, Big Joe
While much of the food in the cafeteria is days old. There is a few platters of food less than two hours old. Nothing fancy, and if you had to guess, due to the undercooked nature of the food, and simple savagery to how it is laid out. Someone who liked raw food might have prepared it.
Object Read, a top the castle, Ophelia

Rewind (Your presence sense reveals no extra living things hidden within the castle. From reading the tower, you get a general sense that 4 days ago there was a massive battle. However the tower itself did not happen to see who exactly attacked the castle)
One hour ago,
  • a group of crows settle atop the castle.
Four hours ago,
  • a pair of large nasty Gargoyles perched atop of the tower. Silently ripping into a carcass of some animal or humanoid. One of them remarked, “Nice how these folks left us a fully stocked larder…”.
    The other chuckled, “Yeah tasty meat! Plus…” He patted a large legion duffle bag that seemed to have something heavy in it. The side of the bag had a name sewed onto it: Alex. “We got a snack if we get hungry on the way back to the enclave. Its nice when they don’t struggle.”
    The first one bobbed it’s head in excitement,“Ooo mind if we grab a farmer form Whykin on our way home, I would love to prepare a meat sauce.” The two flap their wings taking off.
Two Days Ago,
  • a blue owl humanoid accompanying a regal looking cybernight climbed to the highest tower which happened to be the one Ophelia was unleashing her psychic energies. The Owl, recognizable as Elle the Owl cocked her head at the cybernight. She squaked,”Are you sure Sir Coake?”

    The cybernight, stoic and stern simply nodded. Unmistakable as Sir Coake the so called leader of the cybernights. He knocked the remains of a power armor aside and pried open one of the rooftop shingles with ease, “We must use everything we have to contain her. After what happened in Gloom how could we do less?” He knelt down near the loose shingle, and from the folds of his cloak placed a small round silver sphere inside. “There, the failsafe will draw the energy necessary. We cannot delay. We must get back down to Sir Redheart.” He placed the shingle back.

    Elle squawked and began to flutter down to the ground. From behind her Lord Coake cried, “Elle! Watchout!” He leaped off the tower hurtling himself toward the gliding owl. From behind the sight of the tower, a good twenty yards a missile appeared streaking to the pair. It exploded, but quickly the explosion and pair moved out of sight and knowledge of the tower.
Four days ago.
  • Power armor streaked to and fro, A pair of Bandito made Sidewinder PAs. They were joined by a pair of legion full conversion borgs sporting jet packs. The quad was firing out against something to the east. But one by one each was taken down by laser or plasma blasts. One of the sidewinders crashed on the tower. It was scrapped, nearly completely destroyed. Yet somehow the pilot survived. A blue skinned woman struggled to get out if the harness. One of the much maligned Felruin. She was having trouble breathing and blood spurted from her mouth. She wore a golden necklace and common PA pilot fatigues. Moments later a fog seeped its way to the top of the castle. When it receded the body was gone.
    But the necklace remained and absent a neck skittered down the incline either into a gutter or into the courtyard below
    If you go to find the necklace you do indeed locate it. It is made of fine strands of golden metal almost resembling liquid strands. Putting it on you feel more apt to take on the horrors of the world, +2 Armor, +5 PPE, Brave, and Protection(power), Enchanted item.
    However, a wispy tendril of fog doubled back as if sensing someone peering in on the event. It snaked and recoiled till it locked on and darted for Ophelia. For a brief moment you felt the unbridled horror of an entity similar in some sense to the benevolent one in Psyscape in terms of how vast it was, but it lacked a certain intelligence. It felt like a terrible parasite as it tried to latch onto you through time. It was also wholly different due to its immense pain and anger.
    Fear check
    as your mind is touched by something horrific for a split second
Cass hears a voice
The Castle is truly empty. The power is out, so it is dark. Shadows loom large as the moon light peers through any windows. Your footsteps echo all around you. As you search the second floor, where some of the legionnaire quarters are, you here a soft female voice coming from one of the quarters. “Alex, its Nadine…. Alex…” Finding the door is not too hard, room 203 Alex of Silver Bluff. It was opened, and room seemed thoroughly tossed by someone. Actually, this in itself was not surprising. It seems like almost all the doors in the baracks were open and the rooms had been ransacked. The voice came again slightly muffled from a the floor under the bed, but Cass’s trained ear could easily discern the details, “Alex… Are the Gargoyles still there?” Silence, “Damit it kid. If that concussion got the better of you, or if you are gorging yourself on ice cream, I’ll kill you. Alex please respond.” Empty static and then silence. It looked like their was some kind of hidden storage compartment underneath the bed. You find a strange radio, its about twice the size of a normal hand held walkie talkie. It’s attenea is made out of an iridescent purple metal. The power pack looks like it is made from a modified e-clip. The radio has a weird science sense to it rather than techno wizard. Underneath the radio you find also find a small locked box.
Inside the Box, assuming you jimmy it open
A necklace made from gems the glow white with the fire of a dozen mini suns. Common Kn (4), only 7 of them have ever been made. They are called white star fire necklaces, and given to members of the 13th SET for saving the world. Simply put they are a vampire's worse nightmare.
The contain the damage field power plus mega modifier trapped with sunlight plus 10 ppts. It is an enchanted item.
Luke almost steps in it

Xander's telepathic link screams as Luke patrols the outside of the darkened Castle. "DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER STEP!!!!" Looking down Luke sees a sludge creeping along the ground. It darts near Luke's protective foot encompassing an ant. When the sludge reseeds the ant has a silver sheen to it. Uncharacteristically the ant scurries to Luke's armored boot and repeatedly bashes its head into the metallic frame until it stops moving. "Processing... Processing... Curious Luke, that sludge reads as bio mater, and when it interacted with the ant it fundamentally changed it's molecular composition... Possibly affected it's natural instincts as well. More data will need to be collected. Curious..."

The sludge kept moving slowly along the ground, no bigger than the size of a baseball. It was decidedly heading east, only occasionally moving off course when it came into close contact with a bug, or small rodent.
This is as good of a chance to rp and tell your discovery using your own words. What do you do next? Feel free to make one more roll if you want to interact with/ or do something.
Map
8161F368-24A0-4719-9361-9CD14E5BE45C.png
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


As the exiled Major sat on the hill watching the castle he keep watch for any dangers. As of about ten minutes ago he’d seen six individuals enter the castle and he could vaguely sense a presence of a mindless minor entity that kept flittering invisible across the open expanse of the castle. Mercer saw it move away from any living person that approached the castle. It was harmless unless attacked. He had seen the kind before in St. Louis. They feed off death.

The visions the former CS Rifts Control and Study Officer had gleaned from the castle doors had shown him, in addition to his walk about the castle, there was no death to feed off here. The entity would disappear soon enough.

Sighing and pushing himself up, his knees cracked and he groaned.

Putting his camouflage netting away he slung his pack. Mind made up. He’d come here with the intention of joining the Legion. Time to see if these people were Legion or looters.

As Mercer made his way across the expanse from hilltop to the castle he reflected on the visions more. A cat. Heh. Was an odd cat. Reminded him of his sons cat which brought the emotions back. It had been 12 years since his son was killed.

There had been two Cyber Knights here after the Legion disappeared. Lord Coake and Sir Redheart. Redheart, the one who pointed him to the castle. The one who long ago scarred his face. Hrmph.

Then there was Captain Pender Lumkiss! He orchestrated the destruction of St. Sainte Marie in the Iron Heart state where Mercer’s son, young Lieutenant Johnny Mercer had died.

Mercer grumbled at how life seemed full of circles. Pushing away thought of his son he slowly let himself re-see the horrible tendrils that had explored the castle. As fear touched his mind he stopped walking. Standing outside the open castle doors he reached for Stacy’s hand and remembered she was gone too.


Spirit d6 +2 (Brave Edge)
1d6+2!!: [3]+2 = 5
Success — Manages not to lose it.


Control. I am control. I have control. The former RCSG Officer chants in his mind and suppress the fear. Shaking his head Mercer looks at the Castle.

Flipping the communications switch to on, he uses his radio helmet to broadcast:

“Hello the Castle. I am Ma.. Mercer. Jesse James Mercer. I was passing by when I noticed there might be a … problem here. Hello? Is anyone here?”

Flipping on the loud speaker he says the same thing and then waits to see how the six inside will respond. One finger looped into a suicide cord that’s connected to a dozen grenades he waits and hopes he won’t be needing to pull the cord.

The late forties grizzled and combat hardened man with black and grey hair, decked out in blackened armor with several holstered weapons stood with hands on hips waiting. The faint smile on his face did nothing to hide the old large scar from forehead to chin.

“This might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever done.”
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Freemage
Savage Senior
Posts: 1875
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Freemage »

OOC Comments
Let's see if Ophie gets any more gray hairs, or has another heart attack:



Dice rolls
Fear Check 1d8!!: [1] = 1
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
PCs
Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Ryder, 101st COT/Trailblazers
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
.
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Let's see if Ophie gets any more gray hairs, or has another heart attack:
FH1d8!! (Okay, something weird happened, but this was a 1. Fortunately, the Wild Die kept me from getting a'feared, again../.
Wild Spirit 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9


Ophelia watches the scene unfold from the psychic impressions left on the tower, making mental notes as she goes--crows, Gargoyles, Alex, Whykin, Elle & Coake, Gloom--meaning Geist, the shingle and the sphere, the battle, the fog, the necklace, and.... BREAK!

She manages to cut the vision before the alien entity manages to fully insert itself into her psyche; her blood pressure is only a bit elevated as a result. Shaking her head at it all, she first recovers the fallen necklace, noting its functions through her enhanced senses. Then she moves to investigate the shingle Coake had put the silver sphere beneath--both to see if it is still there, and if she can determine its purpose as she did the necklace. For now, she thinks it best to replace the shingle over the sphere, if it is there; Coake must have had a purpose in placing it in the first place, after all.

From there, she turns her attention to the others she has seen and sensed moving through the castle--six of them, it seems. None are engaged in active looting, at least. She smiles a bit as the older (though not so old as she, really, she should think about retiring already, but there was always one more razed home to set right, wasn't there?) man speaking through the radio and loudspeaker, and decides to come forward.

She carefully emerges from the castle wall, tangible for the time being, but ready to ghost the moment hostilities begin.
Ophelia is an old woman, certainly human in appearance--hard to say precisely how old, given her shorn head. She wears Plastic Man armor that seems to be about the most she could manage to bear, and carries nothing more obviously dangerous than a vibro-sword and a Wilk's pistol, both holstered. To those using Detect Arcana, her aura is currently fairly heavily masked--we can do a roll-off if you want to see if you get a peek behind the curtain, otherwise please assume you don't pick up on her psychic prowess.
In a voice that is curiously both thin and strong, in different measures, she calls out. "Hello, yourself, Young Man. I am Ophelia Monk, of the Tomorrow Legion, and this is my home. I do hope you haven't come with nefarious intent, or I shall be most cross with you--and you others out here, as well, the same goes."

She pauses to allow others to introduce themselves. "Well, it seems we have some common purpose, here, but... Well, forgive an old woman her paranoia, but this IS the second time I've come back to where I thought I belonged, to discover my people scattered and lost. I am a psychic, and I would be most gracious to you all if you would allow me to vet your self-identification by reading your minds. I will not force this upon any of you, but I do feel it would be wise, so that we may set aside any internal suspicions." She produces a notepad, and quickly scratches out a list of questions. "This is all I shall attempt to learn, from those of you who permit it. I can do this while we sit and discuss our next course of action."


1: What is your name?
2: Why are you here, now?
3: Do you know what happened here, or who was responsible for it?
4: If you intend to help with the investigation of this debacle, what abilities do you bring to the table?


As she lugs her NG-S2 out of the castle (it clearly taxes her frail frame considerably to do so), she moves to set up camp. "Now, I'm sure we have much to talk about."

"I have learned all of the following. Four days ago, there was a terrible battle, here. In addition to normal armaments, the attack was accompanied by some sort of malevolent fog; it seemed to swallow those who were caught in it. I assume that is what caused the devastation, here. Lord Coake and Elle of Owls survived the initial battle, but were then assaulted some two days later; I fear I do not know the outcome of that battle. A few hours ago, a pair of Gargoyles came through and captured a boy--I think finding and locating them is our first priority, though I am not certain they were part of the attack itself, or just opportunistic looters. Still, an innocent life is in danger, and sometimes the needs of the moment must be dealt with. If you all agree to it, we should head towards Whykin--the Gargoyles indicated they would be going in that direction."
If EVERYONE agrees to the mind-scan, she adds
"In addition, Lord Coake seems to have placed some sort of warding around the castle--silver spheres hidden in the stonework. I suspect that he wishes to ensure that Geist, of the battle of Gloom, remains contained. It is possible that she, or her allies, were behind this attack."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


As the older woman, human in appearance--hard to say precisely how old, given her shorn head steps out to face him, Mercer suppresses a grin as he thinks: She called me a young man? Ha. I have got to be careful. She feels… safe. Hmm. Like Stacy. But. Be careful Jesse.

“Greetings Ophelia Monk, of the Tomorrow Legion.”


The mercenary hesitated just for the briefest of moments before letting go of a cord and dropping his hands to his sides.

He then removes his goggles and his grey eyes look into Ophelia’s eyes.

”Please. Proceed. Prove my training wrong.”

Inwardly he thinks: Now this probably is the dumbest thing I’ve done.

None of the rest have shown themselves yet. Mercer keeps an open for them. With that he opens his mind to her.

What is my name?
— Jesse James Mercer.

— Why are I here?
— Honestly. I am not sure yet. I spent decades as a soldier in the Coalition States. I am, was, Major Mercer. My ops team killed thousands in Tolkeen. Until … A family of D-Bee’s rescued me years back during the Tolkeen wars. I have come to see… that if I am going to have purpose it isn’t as a CS officer.

— Do I know what happened here, or who was responsible for it?
— Dark tendrils. An entity. A powerful one. Unknown to me. I only saw that as I gleaned the Castle doors.

— If I intend to help with the… abilities … shit woman I have no where to go. I’ve lost everything and everyone I ever had.

— I came here to see if I was a good fit for the Legion. I came here to help. How about this for now…

Breaking connection Mercer says: ”Give me a chance. Let’s start with, let me carry that pack for you. There is a flat spot, dry and with good views — 360 just over here. Let’s set up camp and get to know each other a little more. If you’ve Legion. You’re who I came to join up with. Seriously, it’s just a short distance but let me carry that. I’ll expand on what I was able to see about the castle once we are all assembled.”

Mercer attempts to be friendly and open. It’s obvious he’s not used to it. Like he is more accustomed to giving orders than being submissive and helpful.
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke had not joined @Cassiopeia or @Antipas in Castle proper and remained outside, surveying the surroundings. Having not moved from the rise east of the castle, he observes the sludge moving across the ground.

"Rate of speed, Xander?" @Pender Lumkiss

While he waits for Xander's analysis of the sludges movements, Luke begins constructing a container of metal or plastic.

She Blinded Me With Science
Science 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wash My Academic Socks
Academics 1d4!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
McGyver
Repair 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Assuming he can get the container constructed, Luke collects the sludge for further analysis and inspection.

*****

Once again transmitting on the 77th's frequency, "Pas. We have a complication here."

"My brother, we have a zombie-fying bio-sludge loose and it may have some friends loose around your location."

"We are analizing and determining a means to track this shit."

*****

When @Ophelia Monk begins trying to mentally probe everyone, Luke retracts his helmet and peers towards Ophelia. In a rather loud booming voice, "Sorry earthling, probing my mind isn't going to work. Come talk to me, person to person."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Xander to Luke
]After a few moments Xander responded back to Luke through their telepathic link, ”Processing…. Processing…. Processing…. Luke I am reminded of oft maligned poet, Jeuan of Magestar, If I knew you not while you were sleeping, I would know you more in the morning dews light.” A moments pause. ”The results are inconclusive. I have not encountered a phenomenon like this, the sludge seems to be moving in an easterly direction. It’s rate of speed is anywhere between 1mile per hour to 15 miles per hour. Perhaps after further study a more exact determination could be made.”
@Luke
@Sgt 86Delta
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke turns and heads after the sludge. Xander's biomechanical features should keep contact very minimal and the container for studying should contain the the sludge for now.

@Pender Lumkiss - I am assuming the McGyver attempt presented suitable results for a container.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Ophelia smiles and nods to Mercer when he permits her to psychically question him. She smiles even more warmly when she gets her answers. "Those who seek a change for the better in the course of their lives are always welcome in the Legion. As I may likely be the most, ah, senior member of the Legion on the spot, consider your application approved. And thank you," she adds as he hefts the duffle bag up the hill for her, "I'm not too proud to admit the gear inside, while useful, is a bit much for me.".

When she sits and others join, she adds a general query to the group. "I don't suppose any of you has a vehicle parked nearby?"

She then gives Luke an understanding, but somber smile. "Very well. Then please, if you could, answer these questions all the same; it would help us to make plans. "
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

With each ransacked room and broken door, Cass’s heart ached. It was very clear to her that the place was searched methodically, and not simply looted. When she heard a voice calling with a desperate tone, a glimmer of hope lit in her chest. Maybe someone was still alive! She followed the sound, pushing the smashed door open further on its broken hinges. Clearer now that she was in the room, Cass could hear the radio scratch quality of the voice and her heart sank again.

She uncovered a clever storage box built in under the bed and knew she’d found something the looters missed. Inside she found a strange looking radio and under that a small locked box. Her first instinct was to respond to the desperate-sounding woman on the other end of the radio, but she didn’t want to be the one to tell this Nadine woman that Alex was no longer in the castle. It might be cowardly, but she put the task off and set the radio aside to inspect the box. It took less effort than it probably should for her to jimmy the locked box open. Her mouth dropped open at the contents.

C.Know 1d8!!: [5] = 5
wild 1d6!!: [15!!] = 15
She knew exactly what this was and exactly how to use it!

Cass heard Luke over their radio frequency talking about zombie goo. Anything that fried undead was a good thing in her book. Her fingers slid over the glowing necklace in her hands. ’Though not as good a thing as this beauty’, she thought. Then the radio crackled again, a public channel this time.
Mercer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm “Hello the Castle. I am Ma.. Mercer. Jesse James Mercer. I was passing by when I noticed there might be a … problem here. Hello? Is anyone here?”
Slipping the necklace box into her pack, Cass scooped up the radio and made her way back down to the front gate. She knew these halls well and came around the last corner just in time to hear @Luke loudly calling someone an earthling. In the midst of this horror, she had to smile. His unique turns of phrase often made her smile and she’d missed that in the time they’d been separated.

-----------------------

With her dark hair, light eyes and sun-kissed skin, the tall Atlantean would have to work to blend into a crowd. She isn’t a flawless beauty, though. Her nose is a little too big, her dark brows a little too thick. Freckles, a couple small scars and a few fine lines join with a mischievous glint in her eyes to give her face more character than beauty. Gear and equipment are strapped around her body and she’s wearing a dated, worn set of body armor that doesn’t seal closed at the hands. There’s something familiar about her though. If one cares to try to remember, they will think she looks a lot like a singer, Kalaya Kole whose live performances and vids were popular maybe 10-12 years ago before she suddenly went silent.

---------

When asked, Cass agreed to answer Ophelia’s questions aloud, claiming it was for the benefit of the others assembled. If Ophelia attempts to psychically gauge her honesty, all of Cass’s answers are truthful.
”I am Cassiopeia Stormforge.

“I am here to help the Legion and Pas.”

“No, I don’t know for sure what happened, but I’ve read the wreckage and I might have found a clue.”


At the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”

When the older woman moves to shoulder her pack, Cass quietly offered to carry it to their chosen camp site.
Ophelia Monk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm "I have learned all of the following. Four days ago, there was a terrible battle here. In addition to normal armaments, the attack was accompanied by some sort of malevolent fog; it seemed to swallow those who were caught in it. I assume that is what caused the devastation here. Lord Coake and Elle of Owls survived the initial battle, but were then assaulted some two days later; I fear I do not know the outcome of that battle. A few hours ago, a pair of Gargoyles came through and captured a boy--I think finding and locating them is our first priority, though I am not certain they were part of the attack itself, or just opportunistic looters. Still, an innocent life is in danger, and sometimes the needs of the moment must be dealt with. If you all agree to it, we should head towards Whykin--the Gargoyles indicated they would be going in that direction."
Cass took this opportunity to pull out the radio she found and tell the group what she heard. A woman calling herself Nadine, calling for Alex and referencing gargoyles. ”I have not answered her. I didn’t know where Alex was. Perhaps we should try to respond. Maybe Nadine can give us some more details about what happened here.”
Last edited by Cassiopeia on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke quickly follows after the sludge and lures it in the container with some bugs (live ones).

Seeing Mercer and Ophelia going to make camp, Luke and Xander join them.

Luke doesn't sit but stands and continues to observe the landscape. Taking a tablet with Ophelia's questions, Luke reads them, nods, and begins answering them.

"My name is Luke and my bio suit is Xander."

"As to why we are here. We were formally part of the 77th DRT. I forget what the actual unit designation was. DRT was Disaster Reclamation and Termination. DRT summed up our units duties."

"We hadn't heard from Refuse, I mean Refuge in a while so we came back from Antarctica. "
Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 am At the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”
Luke laughs, "My dear, don't be so vague."

Looking at @Cassiopeia, "You are the sexiest multi-tool in the Three Galaxies. Don't let anyone tell you differently. "

"I on the other hand, am purely a Scientist ..."
Xander follows with, "... and Technician. "

"Yes. Yes. We do have some technical capabilities. "

Just Pray That Luke Does Not Connect With a Punch
Kittani Bio-Borg (In'Valian)
Luke has a d12+1 Strength without any points invested.
Last edited by Luke on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Pas replies to Xanders ping with the bad news from inside. "Everyone is gone. I'm gonna work my way back to the courtyard and see if I can learn anything." After finding the shadow cloak Antipas continues to move through the abandoned castle and is surprised to find someone there not from the 77th when some diminutive humanoid approaches him. The Undead Slayer begins to reach for a weapon tattoo but stops short when he sees the beings aura: not a child, not unimpressive mystic energy stores, and very supernaturally good.
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am
“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”

After the greeting he decided to walk around the facility with them as they worked, he was amazed, not seeing any bodies it was obvious the people left. But maybe it was some sort of arcane anomaly. Opening his arcane senses he reached out trying to figure out what caused this effect.

Moving through he thought it was strange, there was a plate on the table with food only half eaten as if the person just got up and walked away.
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.

As they watch Penders message Antipas lets out a ragged sigh of relief when the woman begins to try and calm the babbling toddler. Placing his hand on the large tattooed holy symbol of Nemesis on his chest but before he can utter a prayer of gratitude the recording gets interrupted by an explosion. At first he is shocked and horrified, nearly frantic. But then, not without much struggle he calms his mind and tries to look at the situation like Luke would.

Ok, the jacket isn't here anymore. There is blood, but both Pender and the Mercy woman were wounded and there is a severed head, so who knows how much if any is from Angel. She's probably still alive and with one of them.

He carefully disconnects the head from the monitor and wraps it in a piece of cloth. "I've seen what I need to, gonna head back outside." Then Luke chimes in over the comms.
Luke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:43 pm Once again transmitting on the 77th's frequency, "Pas. We have a complication here."

"My brother, we have a zombie-fying bio-sludge loose and it may have some friends loose around your location."

"We are analizing and determining a means to track this shit."
Thumbing the button he replies, "Fuck. It's never just one fucking thing is it? Well I do have good news. On my way out now and I'll fill you both in.." On their way our Pas is nearly civil to @Big Joe. Even answering a couple basic question like giving his name, queries he had earlier ignored.

Despite wanting to head out after Mercy and presumably Angel immediately, with just Luke and Cass if need be, reason wins out and Antipas recognizes a full team might be a good idea. So he waits for the gathering to share intel.
smarts to remember Ophelia
Smarts d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild d6!!: [4] = 4
The suggestion of a mind probe is greeted with a look of disdain by the undead slayer but before he can retort his cousin steps forward to volunteer. While he's still obviously annoyed he then also relents.


1: What is your name? Antipas Komnenos
2: Why are you here, now? Just returned from a mission, but I live here
3: Do you know what happened here, or who was responsible for it? Not yet
4: If you intend to help with the investigation of this debacle, what abilities do you bring to the table? I am a true Atlantean and an undead slayer

Then he turns to Luke and Cass, "My good news is that Angel is alive and not... where-ever. Same for Lumkiss and some woman named Mercy who's a glitterboy pilot. The pilot and Angel are headed east, I got her transponder code, and Lumkiss is either rounding up cavalry or getting himself into even more trouble. Possibly both. Bad news is the message cuts out before the twit got to saying who attacked."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe poked around a little bit before returning to the others. "Ain't to much here. Looks like people just up and left about a week ago. But then some others came with less concern for good cooking and ate up some nasty food." Kicking some stuff off of a bench so he could sit down and have a moment of comfort he listened as the others relayed what they learned.

"Well I am up for what ever y'all think we need to do." He declares simply.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke hears Pas on the 77th's frequency
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm Thumbing the button he replies, "Fuck. It's never just one fucking thing is it? Well I do have good news. On my way out now and I'll fill you both in.."
Replying to Pas, "I can absolutely guarentee that it is never just one thing. Hopefully, we can run all the things in nearly the same direction."

"Cass is here. Seems there are some people gathering outside the Castle. You will see us when you get clear of gate."

After cutting out on the 77th's frequency, Luke still holding his bio-sludge in a container, approaches @Ophelia Monk and inquires further about the metal orbs around the Castle.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Looking the others over Jesse takes a deep breath, holds it, then breaths out and says, ”So. Basically. East. Maybe towards Whykin. See if our … visions… are true. Maybe we can find a vehicle there to borrow.”

Sitting next to Ophelia and casually leaning back against a boulder his right hand rests by his energy pistol and his left moves about accenting his speech.

”So. The seven of us …”

Mercer eyes the others.

”Look. Whatever happened here. I think it happened to Whykin too. Maybe we head that way. See what we see?”

Looking at Luke the CS scientist frowns.

Everyone looked human enough. Except Luke. It unsettled the former CS Officer.

”What do you think?”
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

GM Notes on Traveling East
  • Two known large towns lie to the East.
    • Kingsdale: 90+ miles walking (4 days)
    • Whykin: 180+ miles walking (10-12 days)
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Interestingly at the camp @Mercer led the group to was a van that might have seen better days nestled in the brush. Those who could sense magic, definitely felt a surge as if being on a leyline for a split second. Maybe the van just appeared out of the ether or maybe it had been merely overlooked. Either way the van was going to need fuel and some tender care before it was ready to roll.

Edit: We will run this as two concurrent tasks that each take 6 hours to complete. Each character can join one of the tasks. Based on rolls already done and some discord chat, I am making note of who is the leader. Everyone else is essentially rolling support. Ppts and ammo(shooting or arcane skill): spend 3d6 plus any an edge would require that is in use. All rolls apply the scene modifier which is -4.
  • Task 1: vehicle repair, Sgt is the leader, lead skill must be repair. Scene modifier is -4.
    • Failure means the vehicle is fixed just enough to get to Kingsdale and any piloting roll is at -4. Plus it took double the time to repair.
    • Success: vehicle will last until Whykin, drive is at -2. Took six hours to repair
    • Raise: 1/2 the time, and no dive modifier. Vehicle is right as rain.
  • Task 2: Find Ethonal. No leader here yet. Lead skill must be notice. Scene modifer is -4.
    • Failure: Just enough Ethonal to get you half way to Kingsdale.
    • Success: You got enough to get to Kingsdale.
    • Raise: You got enough to get to Whykin!


Everyone please post once with a roll. Once everyone is done we will move on and head to Whykin in some fashion. Please continue the role play as well. It is epic!

Edit, great RP. +1 Benny
Attachments
2A0C5BB0-EFBB-44B1-85C9-1160B4076B10.jpeg
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

As Mercer was sitting against a boulder, a fairly sizeable boulder, the van was difficult for Luke to see, as it was behind the boulder from his vantage point.

Xander telepathically speaking to Luke, "It would appear that Mercer was either former CS or he took that armor from a CS ..."
"... officer, likely a Major," Luke finished.

Luke could sense some conflict or anxiety coming from @Mercer, so he decided to stay clear of him. So Luke walked directly towards Mercer.

To Mercer, "My good earthling, you feeling alright?"

In order to get near Mercer, Luke had to weave his way in and amongst the others gathered around the fire. That was when he noticed the VW van behind the boulder. Before Mercer can respond, Luke has gone beyond the Mercer confrontation and disappears behind the boulder.

Luke is behind the boulder for a few minutes before everyone hears "Wow!"

Luke has flashbacks to the 77th's Pimped Out Planetary Plasma Powered VW Bus. All because he dropped an Infinity Sphere into the engine block of a relic of a vehicle just like this own. No Infinity Sphere but he had time on his hands. He was determined to get the van up and running.


Repair 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Dice rolls
Repair 1d10!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.
Cass throws an apologetic look at Big Joe and waves an inviting gesture.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 amAt the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”
Luke laughs, "My dear, don't be so vague."

Looking at Cassiopeia, "You are the sexiest multi-tool in the Three Galaxies. Don't let anyone tell you differently. "
A wide smile breaks across Cass’s face. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head fondly at him.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm"I on the other hand, am purely a Scientist ..."
Xander follows with, "... and Technician. "

"Yes. Yes. We do have some technical capabilities. "
Now it’s Cass’s turn to chuckle. If anyone turns a questioning look to her, she waves them off without elaborating. .
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pmThen he turns to Luke and Cass, "My good news is that Angel is alive and not... where-ever. Same for Lumkiss and some woman named Mercy who's a glitterboy pilot. The pilot and Angel are headed east, I got her transponder code, and Lumkiss is either rounding up cavalry or getting himself into even more trouble. Possibly both. Bad news is the message cuts out before the twit got to saying who attacked."
Cass holds up the radio ”Another child was taken by the gargoyles, also to the east. The answers lay that way. We’ll be able to follow them in the morning. Angel was taken by someone Pender obviously trusted, the boy Alex was not. With luck we can retrieve them both within the week. Until then, eat a ration and help me decide if the Nadine I heard on this radio was laying a trap or was another worried guardian.”

Mercer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 pmLooking at Luke the CS scientist frowns.

Everyone looked human enough. Except Luke. It unsettled the former CS Officer.

”What do you think?”
Seeing the frown, Cass followed Mercer’s eyes to where Luke was walking around the edges of their “campsite.” She made to move her body between them and wracked her brain for a topic to get Mercer focused on talking to her. Before she could complete her maneuver, Luke brushed by her to speak directly to Mercer.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 pmTo Mercer, "My good earthling, you feeling alright?"

In order to get near Mercer, Luke had to weave his way in and amongst the others gathered around the fire. That was when he noticed the VW van behind the boulder. Before Mercer can respond, Luke has gone beyond the Mercer confrontation and disappears behind the boulder.

Luke is behind the boulder for a few minutes before everyone hears "Wow!"


Cass laughed when the VW van was uncovered. She was sure she knew what Luke was thinking of when he saw it. She also knew that look on his face. "Well that will probably take care of the vehicle. Ophelia, I think I saw some mint and chamomile growing in the valley. If you start heating some water, I can make some tea for us."
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Ophelia listens to the others. ON the subject of the radio, she opines, "I think it is worth the risk to contact this Nadine. We are already heading into whatever danger a trap might have been set to produce; we may as well at least gain as much information as possible before leaping into the lion's den." She smiles gratefully at @Cassandra Maverick. "I would suggest we attempt to respond while your friend repairs the van, then."

She is more visibly disturbed as her new companions mention Lumkiss' current situation. "That poor man... My former commander never seems able to catch a break. Yes, if we follow him, we will definitely end up in the thick of things."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


When both Cass and Luke start walking towards him Mercer stands up. Crack. Pop. Both knees ache.

Hands down at his sides, telekineticly the snap on his holster pops open. His mind grabs ahold of the butt of the energy gun, ready to draw it with his mind alone.

This isn’t the first time he’s been around supernatural beings. Stacy radiated supernatural and they’d been… lov… friends. However, this is the first time he’s tried cooperating with several at once.

What they didn’t know was that each one of them had an aura around them and decades of training screamed to put them down.

It almost startled Mercer when Luke suddenly changed directions away from the former officer. He’d have sworn the alien was going to confront him. Sighing Mercer berated himself. Obviously it was just him. Not the others. He needed to try harder.

As he reached down to snap the holster closed he saw Cass was right there. That made him take a step back. He’d been distracted by Luke and Cass could have gotten him.

Shaking his head he took a step back from Cass. Trying to decide what to say he was saved by a loud yell of Wow!

***

Mercer pulls a computer pad out of his pack and a small bag of cables and electrical tools.

”Let me see if I can help you… Luke.”

Crawling under the dash the mercenary try’s several connectors eventually connecting the computer to the VW electronics. A chuckle and then music starts playing on the speaker of the vehicle. As Dres Marbles Left plays across the speakers of the VW Mercer says: ”Good start. Music. I love music. Let me see if I can fix the rest of these components. I’ve a lot of music on my computer. That and a few movies. Mostly old Action Stan stuff. Some newer movies made by a CS movie maker crew. But. Their stuff is mostly ripped off and pro human crap remades of the old AS stuff….”

Mercer continues to talk at Luke or whoever happens to be listening about music as he try’s repairing the electrical system of the vehicle.

Electronics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Forgot it was at -4. So bennie time.
1d6-4!!: [6]-4 = 2
1d6-4!!: [5]-4 = 1


After a long while Mercer sighs when the speakers stop working and he gets out of the vehicle.

“Geez. Old tech. I think it’s beyond me sorry.”
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.
Cass throws an apologetic look at Big Joe and waves an inviting gesture.
Joe laughs a little and smiles at @Cassiopeia his ego offended by Antipas' behavior not showing on his face. His words in complete contradiction to his friendly demeanor as he replies to both of them. "Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an after thought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination." Unknown to Antipas and Cassiopeia the last bit was words he had heard about himself more than a few times, though somehow they never really sink in.

Then turning directly to @Antipas Big Joe smiles returning the insult and challenge. "So, which side are you on? Going to help us hunt down the gargoyles and see about saving the Cpt, or going to help them out by undermining the team?" The strange mixed words of a cocky youth and an experience soldier all coming out within 3 minutes from the same guy feels of contradiction. Obviously the guy had been on teams before and knew about organization, but the ego that went with it fit strangely to the idea of someone who had been in battle.

Feeling a little frustrated, the only reason Joe came to this place was so he could be recruited and find bigger badder things to fight. But now he did not even have a way of contacting the guy who sent him the recruitment.
OOC Comments
I am sure any character with reasonable empathy (persuasion) and human understanding would instantly pick up on the fact the man probably had some experience, but has had yet to receive a solid beating.
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Big Joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am
Joe laughs a little and smiles at @Cassiopeia his ego offended by Antipas' behavior not showing on his face. His words in complete contradiction to his friendly demeanor as he replies to both of them. "Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an after thought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination." Unknown to Antipas and Cassiopeia the last bit was words he had heard about himself more than a few times, though somehow they never really sink in.

Then turning directly to @Antipas Big Joe smiles returning the insult and challenge. "So, which side are you on? Going to help us hunt down the gargoyles and see about saving the Cpt, or going to help them out by undermining the team?" The strange mixed words of a cocky youth and an experience soldier all coming out within 3 minutes from the same guy feels of contradiction. Obviously the guy had been on teams before and knew about organization, but the ego that went with it fit strangely to the idea of someone who had been in battle.

Feeling a little frustrated, the only reason Joe came to this place was so he could be recruited and find bigger badder things to fight. But now he did not even have a way of contacting the guy who sent him the recruitment.
OOC Comments
I am sure any character with reasonable empathy (persuasion) and human understanding would instantly pick up on the fact the man probably had some experience, but has had yet to receive a solid beating.
The near 7 foot tall tattooed warrior hunches down to look Joe in the eye. "Look kid, or leprechaun, or whatever the fuck you are, saving Pender, the Legion, and this planet is practically my hobby and destroying evil is literally my lifes purpose." He touches a prominent tattoo of a
of the Greek/Atlantean Goddess of divine retribution, Nemesis
"The only thing more important than those things to me is my daughter, who as fate would have it seems to be converging with the rest of this mess. So yes I will be helping and if my unpleasant demeanor somehow "undermines" you I suggest you grow the fuck up."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
GM of The Black Company: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Character — Mercy Six

Mercer
Parry: 7 (8 if holding CP-50)
Toughness: 6 In armor 19 (10)

Note (One Tough SOB): Can take 5 Wounds instead of 3

Quick Edge
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe was about to let Antipas know who needed to grow up and which one of them was a kid when...
Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
Stiffening a bit at the words from the old guy. Okay, well he was human, so likely younger than Joe, but still he was an Old Guy. Joe realized he was likely looking pretty ridiculous in front of the rest of them. Deciding to hold his words he chose to move away and begin listening as the others shared what they had.
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
At first the Atlantean looks over the human with a glare but then he nods and chuckles amiably. "Yeah, shitty first day. In my long experience as an asshole it usually finds a way to work out though."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3591
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hey everyone. Looks like we are in a dramatic task. See this post: https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.p ... 604#p76604
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 am Mercer continues to talk at Luke or whoever happens to be listening about music as he try’s repairing the electrical system of the vehicle.

Electronics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Forgot it was at -4. So bennie time.
1d6-4!!: [6]-4 = 2
1d6-4!!: [5]-4 = 1


After a long while Mercer sighs when the speakers stop working and he gets out of the vehicle.

“Geez. Old tech. I think it’s beyond me sorry.”
@Mercer "Look Mercer, is it. The last one of these I tinkered with had ZERO electronics. The engine was shot and the wiring had been entirely stripped out. Good attempt though. I appreciate the help."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Looking to see what the commotion behind the bolder is leaves Antipas groaning in irritation, he then looks @Luke. "Is this a joke from the gods or are you.. No you'd make something better than this. X, what kind of dead matter do we need for this primitive heap?"

The AI replies "Ethanol, a form of alcohol, Antipas."

The Slayer nods, "Well, soldiers mean stills, hopefully one from the field teams was overlooked nearby. I'll have a look around. Anyone not working on the van is welcome to join me."
Task 2 Notice lead
Modifiers: Scene -4, Shades +2. Net -2
Notice d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll. New Modifier, Elan +2. New Net 0
Reroll Notice d6!!: [2] = 2
Reroll Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Big Joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am"Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an afterthought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination."
Cass, thinking of the literal wolves the children in her clan usually faced during training, raised her eyebrows and brought a finger up. She opened her mouth to tell him a thing or two, but then bit down on her bottom lip and kept quiet. ’Nope. I’m not getting into a pissing contest with this little man. I’ll let Pas handle this one.’
Ophelia Monk wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 am"I think it is worth the risk to contact this Nadine. We are already heading into whatever danger a trap might have been set to produce; we may as well at least gain as much information as possible before leaping into the lion's den." She smiles gratefully at Cass. "I would suggest we attempt to respond while your friend repairs the van, then."
In short order, two cups of hot mint tea are prepared and the two women have their heads bent over the radio. It didn’t take much after that for Cass to figure out and show Ophelia how it worked. ”I think.. Yes definitely. This is the transmit button. We’ll need to hold that down to speak. It’s a little primitive in that regard.”

The atlantean looked up from the radio and over to where the work lights and sounds of frustration emanated from behind the old van. ”You go ahead and try to reach Nadine. I think I might be of some help with the van.” She smiled at the older woman and topped off her tea cup with a bit more hot water.

Cass gathered the field repair kit from her bag and carried it toward the back of the van where the engine compartment was wide open. Various lights from helmets and equipment packs lit the area and the bushes had been trampled down out of the way. Cass spread out her kit and twirled a screwdriver between her fingers. ”Do you mind if I help, gentleman? You sound like you’re struggling.”

Repair kit +1, scene modifier -4 = -3
repair 1d8!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-3: [8!!]-3 = 5


The engine and undercarriage were a mess. Even with all of them working on it, there were many uses of ancient mechanic power words. AKA profanity. With scraped knuckles and a greasy face, Cass finally wiggled out from under the van. Sticks and grass were caught in her dirty hair that stuck out in all directions. "That's the gearbox buttoned up. Man, that was a bitch to get at without a lift. How's it coming with the engine, Luke?" She used his hand to pull herself up to her feet and peered over his shoulder into the inner workings.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Cassiopeia wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm The engine and undercarriage were a mess. Even with all of them working on it, there were many uses of ancient mechanic power words. AKA profanity. With scraped knuckles and a greasy face, Cass finally wiggled out from under the van. Sticks and grass were caught in her dirty hair that stuck out in all directions. "That's the gearbox buttoned up. Man, that was a bitch to get at without a lift. How's it coming with the engine, Luke?" She used his hand to pull herself up to her feet and peered over his shoulder into the inner workings.
Cleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 60
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Luke wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pmCleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
"You had other things to be doing with those hands." She said softly and then kissed his palm. "You know I love to help. Sexy multi tool, remember?" She flashed him a wink and then stepped back to let him finish up.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Support Psionics to Fixing the Van:
Scene Modifier -4
Using Major Psi to boost roll by +2
Final roll: d12-2
ISP Used 3d6+4: [4, 1, 1]+4 = 10
Psionics 1d12!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild Psionics 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
Let's burn a Benny:
Psionics Re-Roll 1d12!!-2: [22!!]-2 = 20
Wild Psi Reroll 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Final tally: 8 ISP, 3/3 Bennies
Ophelia sighs a bit to herself as the younglings start the chest-beating, though she smiles as Mercer manages to pour a little oil over troubled waters. She gives him a small nod of approval when she catches his eye, next, and then wanders over to the duo working on the van. "Here, let me be of some assistance...."

She focuses on Luke, and for a period his mind is ablaze with everything he knows about machinery--even everything he ever forgot about fixing machines. Periodically, during the repairs, she gives him another nudge at an appropriate moment, and he is able to maintain his focus on getting the van moving.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe offers his help on the rig. "Hey, I can turn a wrench and solder a joint." He offers as he starts picking up some of the side work needed to get the rig going. As Joe picks up he begins working and do a lot of the pre-work, and preparation steps needed. helping things flow more smoothly as they try to repair the van.

Success 7 = +1 support
Repair (not sure if this is support or tokens) 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[7!!] = 12
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Cassiopeia wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:00 pm
Luke wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pmCleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
"You had other things to be doing with those hands." She said softly and then kissed his palm. "You know I love to help. Sexy multi tool, remember?" She flashed him a wink and then stepped back to let him finish up.
@Cassiopeia "Yes. Yes. Dear Lady do be careful with those instruments of destruction. Would hate to find a grease smudge I couldn't remove."

Luke turns back to the VW bus and begins to make modifications. He whistles while he works and pays little attention to anyone else while he does work.

Antipas wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 pm Looking to see what the commotion behind the bolder is leaves Antipas groaning in irritation, he then looks Luke. "Is this a joke from the gods or are you.. No you'd make something better than this. X, what kind of dead matter do we need for this primitive heap?"

The AI replies "Ethanol, a form of alcohol, Antipas."

The Slayer nods, "Well, soldiers mean stills, hopefully one from the field teams was overlooked nearby. I'll have a look around. Anyone not working on the van is welcome to join me."
Task 2 Notice lead
Modifiers: Scene -4, Shades +2. Net -2
Notice d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll. New Modifier, Elan +2. New Net 0
Reroll Notice d6!!: [2] = 2
Reroll Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
@Antipas "Pas, were there some downed Glitterboy Armor near the Castle? Check them first to see if their power cores are still available."

Luke holds up the contained sludge. "I am actually curious to see what this and what we can do with it."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Luke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Antipas "Pas, were there some downed Glitterboy Armor near the Castle? Check them first to see if their power cores are still available."

Luke holds up the contained sludge. "I am actually curious to see what this and what we can do with it."
The slayer shrugs noncommittally and eyeballs the sludge, "I Can't support you messing with that. If it's anything like that shit from the sploogie bomb that's an
Extinction Level Event
in a bottle. I very strongly suggest we destroy it, any more of it we find, and any asshole whos responsible for spreading it. I am not at all curious what it can do, you said it zombifies. Not seeing any wrecked undead I'm guessing you saw it zom something else. So it zoms non sentient life forms as well. That's all I need for certain knowledge my imagination can do the rest."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 24/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 5/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

Tasura is mostly quiet when he meets his apparent new companions. His introduction to the Tomrrow Legion is not at all what he expected. If they are what is left of the legion, and they believe they can put things right, he will help. He does agree to @Ophelia Monk's mental interrogation.

'My name is Tasura Lotulelei. I am Lemurian. My people seek new allies, and I had hoped to find them amongst this Tomorrow Legion. My people are allies to the True Atlanteans, so your two Atlanteans should be able to ease your concerns. I am not of the Legion and I only just arrived myself. I played no part in the events which have unfolded. If you will have my strength, I command and mold the very earth we walk upon as easily as you breathe. I can also draw forth the power hidden within gemstones.'

At some point during all of this,
Bubs.jpg
returns to Tasura. The stone master reaches down and scratches the armadillo under the chin and whispers gently to the small creature. Many Lemurians have aquatic or avian companions, but Tasura has always been drawn to the earth, and Bubs was likewise drawn to Tasura.

When his new allies find the vehicle and ask him to help find fuel, Tasura agrees. He feels more comfortable around the familiarity of true atlanteans than some of these other strangers. Tasura picks Bubs up and allows the creature to
Bubs the armadiller Support
1d8!-4: [6]-4 = 2
and asks him to help too. The little armadillo runs off and doesn't return until the following day. He does bring back an empty ethanol container. At least his heart was in the right place.

Tasura
Tasura Support
Tasura Notice 1d6!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild 1d6!-4: [6!, 1]-4 = 3
Benny
Tasura Notice 2 1d6!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild 2 1d6!-4: [6!, 1]-4 = 3
Benny 2 Because Why Not?
Tasura Notice 3 1d6!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Wild 3 1d6!-4: [6!, 3]-4 = 5
around him, looking for natural or manmade caves and other likely hiding place someone might set up to distill alcohol. He makes note of all the places and confers with @Antipas and the pair set off to scavenge.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”