Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post Reply
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spoon Fed Edition Video Recap

Darkness fell as you approached the castle of refuge. The moon winked from behind the curtain of grey clouds. The air had a cold chill to it. The oak trees that dotted the approach to Castle Refuge swayed slightly in the north easterly breeze. The Castle over a short time had become a beacon of Hope. Heroes from all over flocked to its banner. A small make shift encampment had settled around the castle housing an overflow of personnel. There was even an evening hangout and bar called the Light House. Patrols, called Castle Guard, regularly kept watch near the surrounding lands. On any given night the lights from the castle and encampment could be seen from at least a couple miles away.

However, it became clear that something was a miss. There were no lights, the patrol that would have meet anyone coming up to the castle did not check in. The surrounding encampment was empty at first glance. No vehicles, no people, no life. Castle Refuge was likewise still, silent, and dark. A soft barely detectable hiss was coming over the Castle Refuge emergency frequency.
More information
It was a Wednesday night so that would put Captain Pender Lumpkiss and the 2nd home guard on duty this night.


A field of wreckage awaited you at the gates of the castle. No less than six glitter boys, half a dozen samsons, and 6 various robot power armors were lying in ruins, burning, and slagged.
Upon closer inspection
The bodies of the pilots are missing, and frankly nothing can be salvaged
The cool air has caused a low level fog to roll around the castle’s exterior effectively forming a ring around it. At first glance the battlements seemed empty. The castle’s main door was wide open its hinges broken as if battered by something heavy. The motor pool hanger at the side entrance of the castle was also open, and the vehicles all gone.
Upon Closer Inspection
The vehicle pool has clearly been emptied, any gear worth anything is gone.
The castle stood dark, a few scorch marks and some of its MDC walls are missing chucks of material, but really it was no more than moderate damage. One question floats to the forefront of your consciousness, Where is everyone.
Druid
You can tell the fog surrounding the castle is not natural
However, you are not entirely alone. It seems as chance would have it others returning to The Castle Refuge have also arrived. Here is a chance to introduce yourself, tell us a bit about what brought you to the castle. Perhaps you are returning from assignment, maybe you are looking to join the tomorrow legion, or perhaps it is just luck that brought you to the castle. There could be other reasons, now is a great chance to explore what has brought you to the castle. There is a bit of a mystery to please also make an action/roll to interact with the scene. The next post will give more info on what you find based on the score of the rolls. If you want to assist someone instead of rolling your action you can do that.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »



This is part 3 of my background story. I’ll also write more on arriving at the Castle in this post.

Full Background here


PART THREE (On coming to Castle Refuge)
I don’t know if it’s fate or just simply a sad coincidence. After pulling a bunch of jobs with Styx, ripping off the CS, I came across the Cyber Knight who gave me the facial scar I got in the Tolkeen War. The one who cut me down and left me for dead.

Styx and I had separated. I miss that woman. Lightning fast. Funny, if a bit moody. Skilled. Inhuman and yet more human than human. One morning before breakfast I awoke in the makeshift crappy resting area in the back of the crappy gas powered Jeep she’d stolen us and she was gone. Just a short note.

“Goda do sumin. Do no! folla me. I see you gin.”

I grinned recalling that note. Still in my pack. As American wasn’t her first language, and most folk didn’t know how to read or write out here in the wasteland it was pretty well done.

Weeks later I pulled the Jeep over onto a dirt shoulder that was as rutted and craggy as the remains of old world asphalt that I’d been bouncing across adjacent some decimated pre city. I pulled my broken binoculars out, looked into the one good hole and nodded. I had seen something.

As I tossed the ‘noks on the seat I stepped out of the he Jeep and started to pull my CP-50 rifle out. I felt the cold tip of a barrel touch the back of my head.

”Well. Damn.”

Giggling erupted behind me and the tip bounced up and down on the back of my head as the guy laughed. Then suddenly I could feel pin pricks of magic and supernatural sprinkle in about me. Teleportation maybe. The laughing fool wasn’t alone.

”Don’t feel too bad fellow. The Giggler is really sneaky. Just leave that big gun in the vehicle, step away from the … whatever this crap heap is and keep your hands where we can see them. We ain’t looking to kill ya just a little bit of scavenging. Sound good?”

I grunted an annoyed affirmative and did as he said, making a point of making a wide turn to take in the situation until I was facing him.

The Giggler was a Crazy. There were several mages, a odd looking D-Bee with owl eyes and grey skin, a Larmac lizard guy with the biggest gun I’ve seen carried not counting Glitter Boys and him. The guy talking. A Cyber Knight. The Cyber Knight. The jackass that cut his noble psi sword across my face and left me to die in Tolkeen.

I kept my face impassive and waited. I needed time anyway. Telekineticly I was slowly moving the CP-50 out the passenger side of the Jeep and getting it positioned under the Jeep. Granted I wasn’t going to be able to get a lot of shots off. I was royally out gunned.

The Knight moved closer to inspect me telling Giggler to stand down.

I might get the Knight. Maybe. Then I was dead. Feeling the trigger weight as I prepared to pull, prepared to blast the Knight, he said the one thing that I wasn’t expecting.

”I’m sorry. Please forgive me.

His marauders all kinda gave him odd looks and the nut job giggled harder, then abruptly stopped and said: ”Hu-what now boss? You just apologize to this mook? You’s kidd’n right Sir Redheart?”

The Cyber Knight smiled softly.

”Nah boys. This so happens to be one of the twenty I’ve seen. These are the Crimson Guard and I am Sir Redheart.”

The ‘boys’ of the Crimson Guard grumbled and shook their heads but moved off as the Knight bowed to me. Apparently they knew what in the hells the Knight was talking about but I was lost. I also had what appeared the best shot I was going to get.

About to pull the trigger I spontaneously ask: ”Why would I forgive you!”

Sir Redheart laughed.

”That is a good question. I think you’ll like my answer. How about instead of you trying to blast me, I feel that threat coming, and I block the shot, you lose and die, how about you let me tell you a little story about dragons, monsters and men. It’s a redemption story. We will even feed ya, a dinner prepared by the world’s happiest cook. Giggler. Dinner time. Crok you’re on watch. We’re camping here.

Sir Redheart sat on the dirt ground, pulled out a flask and motioned me over.

All I could think was phuk it, rather have a drink than die. Besides Tolkeen was years ago. How could I pass on a redemption story.



Psionics (Object Read) Skill d8 and Wild die
1d8: [1] = 1 1d6: [5] = 5
Wow so not fantastic. A 5 on the wild die, a success but, not fantastic.


Arrival at Castle Refuge

I slipped through the concrete barriers at the checkpoint under a night sky so dark it seemed to wrap itself around the Castle like a shadow beast. The fog clung lazily to its base, the heroic headquarters of the Legion, empty, silent, wrong.

I had to smirk at the thought that if I were not exiled from the Coalition States and branded a traitor to humanity I could easily sneak my way to the flagpole and replace it with a CS flag. Single-handedly capturing the whole place on my own. Huzzah Major Mercer! Pfft.

I suppose its not funny, something very unnatural and wrong has happened to this place. In my past as an officer in the CS I had heard stories about the Heroes of the Legion. Humans, non humans, and supposedly monsters all working together.

I know all to well the lies fed to me. I had approached the castle with an open mind in hopes it was a good force. This was quite unsettling. I flipped on comms and still only got a light static hum. Moving into position sul with my stolen CP-50 energy rifle I advanced tactically and keep my eyes open for any danger. Now was the time to use my training as a Rifts Control and Study Group specialist and see what I could glean on the situation.

After an hour of walking the empty halls of the castle and noting the lack of people, gear or anything of use to scavenge I returned to the broken large entrance doors to the castle. Something had definitely made a mess of these blast proof doors.

Swinging the energy rifle around onto my back I placed both of my hands on the cool door. Closing my eyes I prompted the door to show me its past. Reading Objects was one of the things that helped me advance so well in the CS. Ranked up to Major before 40 and headed in a good direction. The Tolkeen War had ended my career. Well, to be fair, I ended my career. I just couldn't abide the CS any longer. I needed to fight for all, not just the fascist empire. As I watched the events unfold my heart sank and I pulled back from the door. I could try watching more but I was pretty sure I heard some one, or someones talking.

Someone had arrived at the castle. I wondered if they were Legion or a new timer like me. Regardless I made my way across the destroyed front lawn of the castle and moved to a low hill that gave me a pretty good view of all directions where I could watch the castle and see who was arriving.


***

The forty something year old exiled CS soldier looked at the recording device he’d been dictating into and sighed. Habits die hard. Smashing the device under his boot heel he sipped at a bottle of water and used the broken binoculars with only one eye piece to keep an eye on the bizarre scene below.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

<<At a nexus 50 miles from Castle Refuge: Approximately 12 hours ago>>

The morning peace in the battle scarred valley is suddenly disturbed when a rift opens at the small nexus often used by smugglers. Through it is the dark interior of a small Atlantean pyramid, its surfaces covered in frost and ice. A half dozen humanoid figures stand before the portal, three large and heavily furred, the other three of human sized and heavily cloaked. Gestures of farewell, and a tree, are exchanged then the three smaller of figures step through the rift.

One surveys the scars of heavy missile bombardment, the wreck of a CS APC, rocks melted by dragonfire, and more than a few skeletal remains and quips "One of your ops, 'Pas?"

The one with the tree, places the plant carefully on the ground and begins pealing off layers. Getting down to his loose robe and pants the undead slayer seems more at ease. "Actually yes Cass, the 77th saved the world from a splugorth nano-zombie bomb here." Looking over the valley he bows his head to the friends lost here for a moment. It'll be a couple hours walk before we're in radio range of the outer patrols, we should get moving."

He could tell his fellows wanted to stop a moment and warm up, and truth be told so did he. But he wanted to get back to the Castle and his daughter even more. Fatherhood had had a strong effect on the undead slayer, he had even largely forgone missions(at least anything distant) until the Antarctica threat had been discovered to spend more time with her. Even as a toddler it was clear she was a chip of the ole block.

<<25ish mile from Castle Refuge: Approximately 6 hours ago>>

When empty static greets yet another radio check, Antipas suppresses the urge to shake the thing or maybe smack it onto a rock a few time.. lightly.
'Still fucking nothing," he states somewhat pointlessly in an irritated and worried tone. "How about you guys?"

<<At Castle Refuge: Now>>

The last several miles saw complete silence from Antipas as dread grew like a parasite in his stomach. At the sight of the broken defenders he suppresses the urge to break into a sprint. "I'm going to look for Angel." he states, the tone making it clear it was not something he'd be dissuaded from. The hulking tattooed warrior then stalks into the castle.

Passing through the castle outbuildings the story is the same, battle damage but no bodies. And when he gets to his destination what he finds is a foregone conclusion. For several minuets he just stands there, eyes and fists clenched tight as taers roll down his cheeks, his mind both reeling and racing. Eventually he gets some semblance of a grip and begins looking around for anything that might reveal what happened and who was responsible. Powering up his Bright Future Shades to look for any mystic or psionic residue, he starts in child care and works his way back to the courtyard.
Notice for task 13
Modifiers: +2 to sight based
Notice d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild d6!!+2: [11!!]+2 = 13
PPE use d6+1: [3]+1 = 4
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Raise w/Psionics to investigate
Psionics to use Presence Sense and Object Reading to find living folks (including the new team!) and learn what she can about what happened here.
ISP used:
Maintain: 1d6/2: [3]/2 = 1.5 = Maintain: 1d6/2: [3]/2 = 1.5 = 2 ISP
Object Reading + Deep Reading = 4 ISP.
Detect Arcana + Presence Sense + Exalted = 1 ISP
Conceal Arcana + Exalted = 1 ISP
Extra ISP from Major Psi = +4 ISP to get +2 to roll.
Total ISP burned: 12

Psionic Investigation:
Psionics 1d10!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild Psionics 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Really? Benny to reroll:
Reroll Psionics 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Reroll Wild Psionics 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

Final Stats:
Bennies: 2/3
ISP: 18/30
Home again, at last.... It was... odd, returning to Castle Refuge like this.

She cast her mind back to the battle at the frozen valley. Suborning Smelly Kelly's commandos and making them fight the creatures in the valley had irritated him immensely, but he'd been too busy trying to round up his Faerun captives (most of whom, she learned later, got away, though many died or were captured later on, instead) to make an issue of it right then.

And so Field Team Six had gone onward, locating the entity behind the power manifest in that awful place. Ophelia had tried to slip in unseen, but had been caught, and before she could even fully comprehend what type of... thing... she was seeing, her frail heart had begun to fail again.

Separated from the others, she figured she was done, finally.

And then she heard a beautiful, calming voice in her head, there in the dark place underground.

I can help you. You will survive, but you will not be able to return for some time.

I can't abandon my team....

If you die here, will they not be just as bereft? I will make sure they know you survived--better to give them that hope.

It was a sound argument, and really, Ophelia didn't want to die. Already, it was growing hard to think. What do I have to do?

There is a Ley Line above this cavern. You must become one with the energies within it. You will retain your sense of self, but you will be cut off from the rest of the world for a time. I will show you how.

And Ophelia felt herself being guided, channeling her considerable psychic might into her own being, then pushing that up into Ley Line above. She thought, at the last moment, that she hard a psychic scream from the entity, enraged that it had lost its victim, and then, nothing. No, not nothing. Peace. Incredible, soothing tranquility.

She emerged from the Ley Line almost a year later, and then spent months in Psyscape. First, as soon as she was corporeal, there had been the team of mystics who had helped her recover from the heart-attack (it left her bemused that she returned to the world still suffering from that organ's failure). They had taken her with them, healing her body as they brought her to Psyscape. There, she was given time to recover before she was brought to her rescuers--a group of elders and other respected members of the clan, working behind the scenes to empower and protect their kin.

And now Ophelia was a member in good standing in their ranks. There had been promises made, of course, both to the Inner Circle, and to the City of Psyscape itself. But she ha been taught the techniques--the escape into the Ley Line was only a small part of the wonders they'd shown her. Finally, they informed her that they'd been in touch with Castle Refuge, and arranged for her return. She was even going to be given a pass on being AWOL so long.

And so she traveled home, eager to meet up with any of the team who might've survived the encounter with the Cold Sleep without her....

And then, this.

As soon as it became apparent that things were seriously awry, Ophelia adopted her normal procedure, shifting out of phase, using the ground for cover, and searching carefully and quietly for survivors and anything else she could learn. She opened her mind to locate any survivors, or even see if there were still stragglers from those responsible for this total devastation. In addition, she sought out a high vantage point and used it as a baseline for a psychometric scan, watching as the events unfolded before her mind.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 8:58 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Stoic »

OOC Comments
Survival 1d8!!+2 WD 1d6!!+2: [3]+2+[9!!]+2 = 16
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Antipas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm <<At a nexus 50 miles from Castle Refuge: Approximately 12 hours ago>>

The morning peace in the battle scarred valley is suddenly disturbed when a rift opens at the small nexus often used by smugglers...
Cass laughed as she followed her cousin down the road away from the nexus. It didn’t surprise her at all that Pas would know exactly where he fought who and why. His barely concealed eagerness to get back to his daughter did surprise her, though. Well, then again, not really surprising when she thought about it. She’d seen him like this before, when he couldn’t wait to get back to his wife.

After folding and stuffing most of her arctic layers into a rucksack, Cassiopeia smacked the arm of the third member of their party and gave him a grin. ”I’m going to run. I feel like I haven’t been able to stretch my legs in months.” She took off at a fast jog, past Antipas and down into the valley. When Pas caught up with her, they ran shoulder to shoulder at a steady pace meant to cover miles without being tiring. They’d traveled this way many times during their childhood training, and their comfort with the pace and each other showed. Cass welcomed the runner’s high that came with the rhythmic footfalls and measured breaths.

Later Cass stretched her long legs on a rock while Pas fiddled with his radio. Luke was just catching up to them when Antipas asked if they were able to pick up a signal. Cass shook her head. Worry churned in her stomach and she could see it plain as day in the set of Pas’s jaw. They didn’t stop to eat, just pulled rations out of their bags and kept moving at a quick walk.
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:08 pm A field of wreckage awaited you at the gates of the castle. No less than six glitter boys, half a dozen samsons, and 6 various robot power armors were lying in ruins, burning, and slagged.
The wind whipped at her open jacket and dark hair as she stood on the top of the hill overlooking the valley that held Castle Refuge and its encampment. Abandoned? No… too much was left behind, destroyed. Cass pulled the tails of her coat tight across her body, though the shiver that ran through her had nothing to do with cold. When Antipas loped away, intent on finding Angel, she closed her eyes and turned to press her face into Luke’s shoulder. She stood there for a long minute, breathing deep and pushing away the anger and guilt that surged within her over not being here to protect those that called this place home. Finally she raised her head and looked at the sky.

”It’ll be dark soon. If we’re going to look for survivors or clues, we better get started. If I know Pas, he’ll cover every inch of the castle. I’ll head down there. Gods, but I can’t think of who or what would have been able to do this.” She shook her head and got to work looking for anything that could help her make sense of this eerie battlefield.

Notice 12
Roll Notice Checks
Field Intel +2 Notice
Notice 1d8!! +2: [10!!] = 10 +2=12
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

The journey to Castle Refuge had not been simple. Tasura chose the closest pyramid which could be reasonably expected to provide safe ingress and egress. Close was relative. It would prove to be quite the journey by foot.

Tasura relied upon his stone master powers to keep him safe during his trek. He focused on avoiding trouble rather than overcoming it. He could move through the earth, so that was enough to escape most dangers. Likewise, finding shelter was simple with his abilities. The most dangerous threats were extra planar entities which could follow him through the earth if they so desired, and such creatures could be dealth with easily enough by a stone master with a pocket full of salt which Tasura just so happened to have.

As he tracked his progress via landmarks and friendly passerbys, he contemplated his mission. The New Navy had heard of these Tomorrow Legionaries and seemed to believe them to be a force for good. His people were interested in forging ties with such entities, but they had to be proven worthy first.

Approaching the castle left doubts in Tasura's mind. Perhaps they were worthy allies, but if they could not defend their base of operations were they worthy allies? Regardless, he had come a long ways to contact these people. If he could help them in their hour of need, perhaps it would be a good step towards forging an alliance.

The slagged suits of power armor, vehicles and doorways left Tasura little doubt that he would find anything good here. One small blessing, or perhaps curse for the legionaires, is that he did not see a single body. Either they were alive, and probably captive, or there was a necromancer loose with an army of undead at their beck and call.

Rather than explore the castle room by room, Tasura decided to use his mastery over stone to learn what he can. Castles built with stone which readily shares it secrets to someone like him. He touched the castle walls and closed his eyes. Tasura
Spellcasting: 5
Spellcasting 1d10!: [4] = 4
Wild: 1d6!: [5] = 5
feeling for vibrations, heat signatures, supernatural entities or any other secrets the stonework could share.
4/3 Bennies. Ill gussy this up later.
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Man. I didnt't see nothin
Big Joe's Notice 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [2]+[3] = 5
The trip to refuge was kind of boring for Big Joe. Thinking back he could hardly remember any details. There was that one fight with the rhino buffalo, but that thing hardly broke any of his bones at all and was not really even worth telling people about.

This place was supposed to be the place a hero could show his skills but with no one here he was a little confused who he was supposed to offer his services to. Looking around he saw one of the other people who arrived and headed over to chat with them.

“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”

After the greeting he decided to walk around the facility with them as they worked, he was amazed, not seeing any bodies it was obvious the people left. But maybe it was some sort of arcane anomaly. Opening his arcane senses he reached out trying to figure out what caused this effect.

Moving through he thought it was strange, there was a plate on the table with food only half eaten as if the person just got up and walked away.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Notice 1d4!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!: [5] = 5

The time in Antarctica had been some of the coldest moments of Luke's long life. Seems that the cold triggered something in his immune system and much to his and Cass's dismay, Luke returned to his bio-mechanical cocoon, Xander.

Stepping forth from the pyramid with @Antipas and @Cassiopeia , Luke exhaled and paled inside of Xander.

"Damn! One place .. ," Luke began.
"... we aren't excited to see," Xander finished out loud.

Violent and tragic memories played through Luke's mind.

Cass tapped Luke on the shoulder and pointed out that Pas was on the run, so Luke followed behind the cousins. Xander did the walking while Luke did the thinking.

Looking at Cass and Antipas running ahead of him, he couldn't remember how many times he had almost referred to them, as ''The Twins.'
Antipas wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:45 pm <<25ish mile from Castle Refuge: Approximately 6 hours ago>>

When empty static greets yet another radio check, Antipas suppresses the urge to shake the thing or maybe smack it onto a rock a few time.. lightly.
'Still fucking nothing," he states somewhat pointlessly in an irritated and worried tone. "How about you guys?"
Even with Xander's long range communications, 25 miles out and there was nothing but radio silence. Looking at his friends, "Radio silence from Castle Refuge," commented Luke.
"Something serious is going on," finished Xander.

Luke did not say what everyone else was thinking, "Proceed with caution." It was the way it was with the three of them, somethings just didn't need to be said.


As the road crested the hills east of Castle Refuge, Luke stopped in utter shock. Telepathically to Xander, "Are your optics okay or are you messing with me?"
Xander responded, "All systems are optimized and functioning."

"What in the Three Galaxies, happened here? Where is the Tomorrow Legion?"
Cassiopeia wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:05 pm The wind whipped at her open jacket and dark hair as she stood on the top of the hill overlooking the valley that held Castle Refuge and its encampment. Abandoned? No… too much was left behind, destroyed. Cass pulled the tails of her coat tight across her body, though the shiver that ran through her had nothing to do with cold. When Antipas loped away, intent on finding Angel, she closed her eyes and turned to press her face into Luke’s shoulder. She stood there for a long minute, breathing deep and pushing away the anger and guilt that surged within her over not being here to protect those that called this place home. Finally she raised her head and looked at the sky.

”It’ll be dark soon. If we’re going to look for survivors or clues, we better get started. If I know Pas, he’ll cover every inch of the castle. I’ll head down there. Gods, but I can’t think of who or what would have been able to do this.” She shook her head and got to work looking for anything that could help her make sense of this eerie battlefield.
Luke consoled Cass, while taking in the scene in front of him. When she had recovered, Luke joined Cass as she began looking for clues and for Pas.

Over the 77th's old radio frequency, Xander pinged Pas for his location.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spoon fed video recap
The Castle of Refuge remains silent and dark, the ring of fog around it is low to the ground hovering. Those looking at the castle with detect arcana can tell the fog was created by a magical effect and is some how intrinsically linked to the Castle. The clouds above have all but dispersed revealing a large moon shining down. It quickly seems that only you seven are all that is left. Eventually the group comes back together to share and discuss their next move.
If the castle could talk to the stone master


The Castle is fairly new, although the stone grew older the further you probe its depths. The rock and mortar feel tired and battered as if assaulted physically by an overwhelming force. At first, you can sense something supernatural walking from the center of the castle to a court yard. Then as you expand your awareness, something deep below the castle trembles with malice at your probe. It is a dark place, sealed shut. Most would not know how to get there and could get lost in the catacombs that are buried underneath the castle. But you know it is deep in the southwest portion of the castle. Zooming out from the darkness you can see it is intrinsically linked to one of the castle towers. A surge of energy flows from the top to the bottom feeding this dark cage.

Suddenly a vision from the stone enters your mind.
A beautiful woman, with golden hair and ruby lipped smile. She embraces you on your journey. Seductively, she whispers, ”Free me, and we will be together.”
Antipas scours the halls
It is eerie inside the castle. Usually a bustle of people, and now dead quiet. Power is out throughout the castle. Two things strike Antipas as odd.
One, passing by Tera Silverforge’s shop you almost do a double take. On the counter you think you see a small shimmer, as if a shadow was moving.
Crumpled on one side of the shop's counter is a cloak made out of a dark foreboding leather. Removing the item off the counter makes it visible, but putting it on the counter it melds with the nearby shadows effectively turning invisible. It would seem the counter itself some how was designed to give a trickle of power to technowizard items. You have found a Shadow Cloak (TW).
. Two, on the first floor of the castle, in the southwest corner you find a room with some kind of power. The room is a strange amalgamation of horror and technical intrigue. The remains of a headhunter head have been hooked up to a video monitor. The head itself seemed adorned with all sort of cybernetic equipment, it was battle scarred and then some. Something must have exploded near it, and it was a wonder how it remained intact. The monitor flashes to life, and plays once. Then the lights go out in the room.
Video Playback
The video playback fizzed briefly as the connection between the cyborg’s eye and screen stabilized. A young woman snapped into focus. She was about 15 to 20, maybe 5’8” with long hair. The video was in black and white. She was peering closely at the recording device embedded in the cyborg’s skull. She shook her head mildly disgusted, “I’ll say this for you Pender. Using your own brother like this is gross. Are you sure this will work, you some jack of all trades?”

From behind the camera Pender Lumpkis’ voice retorted muffled but straining with emotion, “Yeah…. Ted… There wasn’t much left…. Oh god… Mmm… Ughh. Almost done Mercy. We should be able to record for a minute or so.” Pender gagged, and softly whispered, “Forgive me Ted…” Moments later he was standing next to Mercy and wiped his hands on his tattered pants. Both looked ragged, bloodied, and lucky to be alive.

The woman named Mercy nudged Pender with an elbow. Pender looked up from the ground clearly trying to get his thoughts in order. He looked at the camera with desperate eyes and trembling lips, “Yeah… Ok. First, if you are looking at this. Please bury my brother. We never got on all that well. He and I… He never deserved this.” Pender wiped his eyes briefly, “Mercy and I were the only ones to make it as far as I can tell. They took anything, everyone, and everything of value. Raided Tera Silverforge’s private stores, hit the armory, even took all the vehicles. Even that kids damn weird power armor…. What was his name Mercy? You know that kid the 13th found on their first mission, got his leg blown off in Gloom…” Pender paused for a moment thinking. Something sternly babbled off camera and Mercy stepped away for a moment.

Faintly, off camera Mercy in a bit of a sing song voice whispered, “Hush little Angel, Hush little Angel. You ready to go for a ride?”

Pender coughed and resumed, “I don’t remember anymore… Point is. Mercy is going to take the remaining Glitterboy and follow them. Anyone who is listening lock onto to her signal. Hopefully… Hopefully you’ll be able to bring everyone back.”

Mercy, still off camera called to Pender, “Looks like we are heading East. What are you going to do?”

Pender rubbed his tired eyes, “I need to make sure the Obsidian Cage remains secure so she can never leave… And then… I don’t know. Find others maybe?” He shook his head realizing just how alone they were. “Ok, I think that is it…. Did I leave anything out Mercy?”

Mercy walked back into frame hefting a small child over her shoulder(the child wore a familiar dark jacket). As she adjusted for the weight she shook her head disbelieving Pender, “Like maybe you should tell them who took everyone Pender!” Pender smiled sheepishly about to say something but an explosion rocked the camera tilting it to one side. The screen fizzed and blurred, when it stabilized part of it was covered by some kind of dark cloth, like the remains of a jacket.
Then the feed went dead.
Object Read, Mercer at the front doors
Rewind (About 4 days ago you get a general sense of a massive battle at the Castle. The doors sadly hold no details as to who exactly the attackers were. What follows are a few of the glimpses into the recent memory of the Castle Front Door.

-10 hours ago
  • A small feline cat approached the door and licked it.
-2 days ago
  • Two cyber knights accompanied by a blue owl looking humanoid walked in stopped at the doors surveying the carnage. One of the knights growled, “Merctown, Whykin, and now the Castle… They took out the enter unit of glitterboy’s. Prosek’s balls Coake who did this?” The other cyber knight grimaced, “We’ll find out in due course my friend… First we need to secure the Obsidian Cage. With power out we need to reinforce it until your people can arrive.”

    The humanoid blue owl hooted, “ Let’s move then. Gargoyles and Brodkill have been spotted in the area.” The three entered, after about 30 minutes they ran/flew out. Coake and the owl looked covered in burn marks and soot, like they had been caught in some kind of blast.
-3 days ago
  • A woman and a man pushed some rubble off the base of the door. They pulled most of a headhunter head from the rubble.
    • The woman had red fiery hair, and a youth untouched by wisdom about her. The man, was recognized as Captain Pender Lumpkiss. Number 20 on the coalition’s kill list. Llyboc’s memorandum described him as: as deceptively cunning. Ruthless as any Tomorrow Legion Villain. He orchestrated the destruction of St. Sainte Marie in the Iron Heart state.
-4 days ago
  • A group of men were crouched at the base of the large door. One of them pointed to something coming. The tallest of the defenders, a gleaming headhunter grinned and patted the pointing man’s head. The headhunter was decked out in heavy armor and all sorts of cybernetic enhancements littered his face, he seemed to mouth, Don’t worry.

    The headhunter unslung a vehicular light rail gun and opened fire into the fuzzy darkness (the power only goes about ten yards). After a minute the drum ran dry, and the headhunter raised his fist in victory. One of the defenders quickly pointed to the right: a burst of crackling energy came from the darkness. It hit the head hunter causing it to jolt and jerk, arching with electrical bursts. Also from the right a fury of laser and plasma fire mowed down the defenders and blew apart the head hunter. Pieces of the castle and door frame were likewise damaged, large chunks fell on-top of the defenders burying any that might be alive, say for one. A young juicer struggled out of the heap only to be met with a rapid series of energy blasts. His body fell still on top of the rubble pile.

    A few minutes later, a fog rolled past the doors. It obscured the viewing vision. A few minutes later the fog dissipated, interestingly the fallen juicer’s body was disappeared. A tendril of the fog whipped back searching for something through time. It lanced toward you touching your mind. It felt like some kind of living organism, like a parasite. It fed off fear, off of despair!
Fear Roll
Something in that fog was living and it touched your mind briefly.
Some food is fresh, Big Joe
While much of the food in the cafeteria is days old. There is a few platters of food less than two hours old. Nothing fancy, and if you had to guess, due to the undercooked nature of the food, and simple savagery to how it is laid out. Someone who liked raw food might have prepared it.
Object Read, a top the castle, Ophelia

Rewind (Your presence sense reveals no extra living things hidden within the castle. From reading the tower, you get a general sense that 4 days ago there was a massive battle. However the tower itself did not happen to see who exactly attacked the castle)
One hour ago,
  • a group of crows settle atop the castle.
Four hours ago,
  • a pair of large nasty Gargoyles perched atop of the tower. Silently ripping into a carcass of some animal or humanoid. One of them remarked, “Nice how these folks left us a fully stocked larder…”.
    The other chuckled, “Yeah tasty meat! Plus…” He patted a large legion duffle bag that seemed to have something heavy in it. The side of the bag had a name sewed onto it: Alex. “We got a snack if we get hungry on the way back to the enclave. Its nice when they don’t struggle.”
    The first one bobbed it’s head in excitement,“Ooo mind if we grab a farmer form Whykin on our way home, I would love to prepare a meat sauce.” The two flap their wings taking off.
Two Days Ago,
  • a blue owl humanoid accompanying a regal looking cybernight climbed to the highest tower which happened to be the one Ophelia was unleashing her psychic energies. The Owl, recognizable as Elle the Owl cocked her head at the cybernight. She squaked,”Are you sure Sir Coake?”

    The cybernight, stoic and stern simply nodded. Unmistakable as Sir Coake the so called leader of the cybernights. He knocked the remains of a power armor aside and pried open one of the rooftop shingles with ease, “We must use everything we have to contain her. After what happened in Gloom how could we do less?” He knelt down near the loose shingle, and from the folds of his cloak placed a small round silver sphere inside. “There, the failsafe will draw the energy necessary. We cannot delay. We must get back down to Sir Redheart.” He placed the shingle back.

    Elle squawked and began to flutter down to the ground. From behind her Lord Coake cried, “Elle! Watchout!” He leaped off the tower hurtling himself toward the gliding owl. From behind the sight of the tower, a good twenty yards a missile appeared streaking to the pair. It exploded, but quickly the explosion and pair moved out of sight and knowledge of the tower.
Four days ago.
  • Power armor streaked to and fro, A pair of Bandito made Sidewinder PAs. They were joined by a pair of legion full conversion borgs sporting jet packs. The quad was firing out against something to the east. But one by one each was taken down by laser or plasma blasts. One of the sidewinders crashed on the tower. It was scrapped, nearly completely destroyed. Yet somehow the pilot survived. A blue skinned woman struggled to get out if the harness. One of the much maligned Felruin. She was having trouble breathing and blood spurted from her mouth. She wore a golden necklace and common PA pilot fatigues. Moments later a fog seeped its way to the top of the castle. When it receded the body was gone.
    But the necklace remained and absent a neck skittered down the incline either into a gutter or into the courtyard below
    If you go to find the necklace you do indeed locate it. It is made of fine strands of golden metal almost resembling liquid strands. Putting it on you feel more apt to take on the horrors of the world, +2 Armor, +5 PPE, Brave, and Protection(power), Enchanted item.
    However, a wispy tendril of fog doubled back as if sensing someone peering in on the event. It snaked and recoiled till it locked on and darted for Ophelia. For a brief moment you felt the unbridled horror of an entity similar in some sense to the benevolent one in Psyscape in terms of how vast it was, but it lacked a certain intelligence. It felt like a terrible parasite as it tried to latch onto you through time. It was also wholly different due to its immense pain and anger.
    Fear check
    as your mind is touched by something horrific for a split second
Cass hears a voice
The Castle is truly empty. The power is out, so it is dark. Shadows loom large as the moon light peers through any windows. Your footsteps echo all around you. As you search the second floor, where some of the legionnaire quarters are, you here a soft female voice coming from one of the quarters. “Alex, its Nadine…. Alex…” Finding the door is not too hard, room 203 Alex of Silver Bluff. It was opened, and room seemed thoroughly tossed by someone. Actually, this in itself was not surprising. It seems like almost all the doors in the baracks were open and the rooms had been ransacked. The voice came again slightly muffled from a the floor under the bed, but Cass’s trained ear could easily discern the details, “Alex… Are the Gargoyles still there?” Silence, “Damit it kid. If that concussion got the better of you, or if you are gorging yourself on ice cream, I’ll kill you. Alex please respond.” Empty static and then silence. It looked like their was some kind of hidden storage compartment underneath the bed. You find a strange radio, its about twice the size of a normal hand held walkie talkie. It’s attenea is made out of an iridescent purple metal. The power pack looks like it is made from a modified e-clip. The radio has a weird science sense to it rather than techno wizard. Underneath the radio you find also find a small locked box.
Inside the Box, assuming you jimmy it open
A necklace made from gems the glow white with the fire of a dozen mini suns. Common Kn (4), only 7 of them have ever been made. They are called white star fire necklaces, and given to members of the 13th SET for saving the world. Simply put they are a vampire's worse nightmare.
The contain the damage field power plus mega modifier trapped with sunlight plus 10 ppts. It is an enchanted item.
Luke almost steps in it

Xander's telepathic link screams as Luke patrols the outside of the darkened Castle. "DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER STEP!!!!" Looking down Luke sees a sludge creeping along the ground. It darts near Luke's protective foot encompassing an ant. When the sludge reseeds the ant has a silver sheen to it. Uncharacteristically the ant scurries to Luke's armored boot and repeatedly bashes its head into the metallic frame until it stops moving. "Processing... Processing... Curious Luke, that sludge reads as bio mater, and when it interacted with the ant it fundamentally changed it's molecular composition... Possibly affected it's natural instincts as well. More data will need to be collected. Curious..."

The sludge kept moving slowly along the ground, no bigger than the size of a baseball. It was decidedly heading east, only occasionally moving off course when it came into close contact with a bug, or small rodent.
This is as good of a chance to rp and tell your discovery using your own words. What do you do next? Feel free to make one more roll if you want to interact with/ or do something.
Map
8161F368-24A0-4719-9361-9CD14E5BE45C.png
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


As the exiled Major sat on the hill watching the castle he keep watch for any dangers. As of about ten minutes ago he’d seen six individuals enter the castle and he could vaguely sense a presence of a mindless minor entity that kept flittering invisible across the open expanse of the castle. Mercer saw it move away from any living person that approached the castle. It was harmless unless attacked. He had seen the kind before in St. Louis. They feed off death.

The visions the former CS Rifts Control and Study Officer had gleaned from the castle doors had shown him, in addition to his walk about the castle, there was no death to feed off here. The entity would disappear soon enough.

Sighing and pushing himself up, his knees cracked and he groaned.

Putting his camouflage netting away he slung his pack. Mind made up. He’d come here with the intention of joining the Legion. Time to see if these people were Legion or looters.

As Mercer made his way across the expanse from hilltop to the castle he reflected on the visions more. A cat. Heh. Was an odd cat. Reminded him of his sons cat which brought the emotions back. It had been 12 years since his son was killed.

There had been two Cyber Knights here after the Legion disappeared. Lord Coake and Sir Redheart. Redheart, the one who pointed him to the castle. The one who long ago scarred his face. Hrmph.

Then there was Captain Pender Lumkiss! He orchestrated the destruction of St. Sainte Marie in the Iron Heart state where Mercer’s son, young Lieutenant Johnny Mercer had died.

Mercer grumbled at how life seemed full of circles. Pushing away thought of his son he slowly let himself re-see the horrible tendrils that had explored the castle. As fear touched his mind he stopped walking. Standing outside the open castle doors he reached for Stacy’s hand and remembered she was gone too.


Spirit d6 +2 (Brave Edge)
1d6+2!!: [3]+2 = 5
Success — Manages not to lose it.


Control. I am control. I have control. The former RCSG Officer chants in his mind and suppress the fear. Shaking his head Mercer looks at the Castle.

Flipping the communications switch to on, he uses his radio helmet to broadcast:

“Hello the Castle. I am Ma.. Mercer. Jesse James Mercer. I was passing by when I noticed there might be a … problem here. Hello? Is anyone here?”

Flipping on the loud speaker he says the same thing and then waits to see how the six inside will respond. One finger looped into a suicide cord that’s connected to a dozen grenades he waits and hopes he won’t be needing to pull the cord.

The late forties grizzled and combat hardened man with black and grey hair, decked out in blackened armor with several holstered weapons stood with hands on hips waiting. The faint smile on his face did nothing to hide the old large scar from forehead to chin.

“This might be the dumbest thing I’ve ever done.”
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Freemage
Savage Senior
Posts: 1894
Joined: Thu May 11, 2017 7:09 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Freemage »

OOC Comments
Let's see if Ophie gets any more gray hairs, or has another heart attack:



Dice rolls
Fear Check 1d8!!: [1] = 1
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
.
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Let's see if Ophie gets any more gray hairs, or has another heart attack:
FH1d8!! (Okay, something weird happened, but this was a 1. Fortunately, the Wild Die kept me from getting a'feared, again../.
Wild Spirit 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9


Ophelia watches the scene unfold from the psychic impressions left on the tower, making mental notes as she goes--crows, Gargoyles, Alex, Whykin, Elle & Coake, Gloom--meaning Geist, the shingle and the sphere, the battle, the fog, the necklace, and.... BREAK!

She manages to cut the vision before the alien entity manages to fully insert itself into her psyche; her blood pressure is only a bit elevated as a result. Shaking her head at it all, she first recovers the fallen necklace, noting its functions through her enhanced senses. Then she moves to investigate the shingle Coake had put the silver sphere beneath--both to see if it is still there, and if she can determine its purpose as she did the necklace. For now, she thinks it best to replace the shingle over the sphere, if it is there; Coake must have had a purpose in placing it in the first place, after all.

From there, she turns her attention to the others she has seen and sensed moving through the castle--six of them, it seems. None are engaged in active looting, at least. She smiles a bit as the older (though not so old as she, really, she should think about retiring already, but there was always one more razed home to set right, wasn't there?) man speaking through the radio and loudspeaker, and decides to come forward.

She carefully emerges from the castle wall, tangible for the time being, but ready to ghost the moment hostilities begin.
Ophelia is an old woman, certainly human in appearance--hard to say precisely how old, given her shorn head. She wears Plastic Man armor that seems to be about the most she could manage to bear, and carries nothing more obviously dangerous than a vibro-sword and a Wilk's pistol, both holstered. To those using Detect Arcana, her aura is currently fairly heavily masked--we can do a roll-off if you want to see if you get a peek behind the curtain, otherwise please assume you don't pick up on her psychic prowess.
In a voice that is curiously both thin and strong, in different measures, she calls out. "Hello, yourself, Young Man. I am Ophelia Monk, of the Tomorrow Legion, and this is my home. I do hope you haven't come with nefarious intent, or I shall be most cross with you--and you others out here, as well, the same goes."

She pauses to allow others to introduce themselves. "Well, it seems we have some common purpose, here, but... Well, forgive an old woman her paranoia, but this IS the second time I've come back to where I thought I belonged, to discover my people scattered and lost. I am a psychic, and I would be most gracious to you all if you would allow me to vet your self-identification by reading your minds. I will not force this upon any of you, but I do feel it would be wise, so that we may set aside any internal suspicions." She produces a notepad, and quickly scratches out a list of questions. "This is all I shall attempt to learn, from those of you who permit it. I can do this while we sit and discuss our next course of action."


1: What is your name?
2: Why are you here, now?
3: Do you know what happened here, or who was responsible for it?
4: If you intend to help with the investigation of this debacle, what abilities do you bring to the table?


As she lugs her NG-S2 out of the castle (it clearly taxes her frail frame considerably to do so), she moves to set up camp. "Now, I'm sure we have much to talk about."

"I have learned all of the following. Four days ago, there was a terrible battle, here. In addition to normal armaments, the attack was accompanied by some sort of malevolent fog; it seemed to swallow those who were caught in it. I assume that is what caused the devastation, here. Lord Coake and Elle of Owls survived the initial battle, but were then assaulted some two days later; I fear I do not know the outcome of that battle. A few hours ago, a pair of Gargoyles came through and captured a boy--I think finding and locating them is our first priority, though I am not certain they were part of the attack itself, or just opportunistic looters. Still, an innocent life is in danger, and sometimes the needs of the moment must be dealt with. If you all agree to it, we should head towards Whykin--the Gargoyles indicated they would be going in that direction."
If EVERYONE agrees to the mind-scan, she adds
"In addition, Lord Coake seems to have placed some sort of warding around the castle--silver spheres hidden in the stonework. I suspect that he wishes to ensure that Geist, of the battle of Gloom, remains contained. It is possible that she, or her allies, were behind this attack."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


As the older woman, human in appearance--hard to say precisely how old, given her shorn head steps out to face him, Mercer suppresses a grin as he thinks: She called me a young man? Ha. I have got to be careful. She feels… safe. Hmm. Like Stacy. But. Be careful Jesse.

“Greetings Ophelia Monk, of the Tomorrow Legion.”


The mercenary hesitated just for the briefest of moments before letting go of a cord and dropping his hands to his sides.

He then removes his goggles and his grey eyes look into Ophelia’s eyes.

”Please. Proceed. Prove my training wrong.”

Inwardly he thinks: Now this probably is the dumbest thing I’ve done.

None of the rest have shown themselves yet. Mercer keeps an open for them. With that he opens his mind to her.

What is my name?
— Jesse James Mercer.

— Why are I here?
— Honestly. I am not sure yet. I spent decades as a soldier in the Coalition States. I am, was, Major Mercer. My ops team killed thousands in Tolkeen. Until … A family of D-Bee’s rescued me years back during the Tolkeen wars. I have come to see… that if I am going to have purpose it isn’t as a CS officer.

— Do I know what happened here, or who was responsible for it?
— Dark tendrils. An entity. A powerful one. Unknown to me. I only saw that as I gleaned the Castle doors.

— If I intend to help with the… abilities … shit woman I have no where to go. I’ve lost everything and everyone I ever had.

— I came here to see if I was a good fit for the Legion. I came here to help. How about this for now…

Breaking connection Mercer says: ”Give me a chance. Let’s start with, let me carry that pack for you. There is a flat spot, dry and with good views — 360 just over here. Let’s set up camp and get to know each other a little more. If you’ve Legion. You’re who I came to join up with. Seriously, it’s just a short distance but let me carry that. I’ll expand on what I was able to see about the castle once we are all assembled.”

Mercer attempts to be friendly and open. It’s obvious he’s not used to it. Like he is more accustomed to giving orders than being submissive and helpful.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke had not joined @Cassiopeia or @Antipas in Castle proper and remained outside, surveying the surroundings. Having not moved from the rise east of the castle, he observes the sludge moving across the ground.

"Rate of speed, Xander?" @Pender Lumkiss

While he waits for Xander's analysis of the sludges movements, Luke begins constructing a container of metal or plastic.

She Blinded Me With Science
Science 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Wash My Academic Socks
Academics 1d4!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
McGyver
Repair 1d10!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Assuming he can get the container constructed, Luke collects the sludge for further analysis and inspection.

*****

Once again transmitting on the 77th's frequency, "Pas. We have a complication here."

"My brother, we have a zombie-fying bio-sludge loose and it may have some friends loose around your location."

"We are analizing and determining a means to track this shit."

*****

When @Ophelia Monk begins trying to mentally probe everyone, Luke retracts his helmet and peers towards Ophelia. In a rather loud booming voice, "Sorry earthling, probing my mind isn't going to work. Come talk to me, person to person."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Xander to Luke
]After a few moments Xander responded back to Luke through their telepathic link, ”Processing…. Processing…. Processing…. Luke I am reminded of oft maligned poet, Jeuan of Magestar, If I knew you not while you were sleeping, I would know you more in the morning dews light.” A moments pause. ”The results are inconclusive. I have not encountered a phenomenon like this, the sludge seems to be moving in an easterly direction. It’s rate of speed is anywhere between 1mile per hour to 15 miles per hour. Perhaps after further study a more exact determination could be made.”
@Luke
@Sgt 86Delta
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke turns and heads after the sludge. Xander's biomechanical features should keep contact very minimal and the container for studying should contain the the sludge for now.

@Pender Lumkiss - I am assuming the McGyver attempt presented suitable results for a container.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Ophelia smiles and nods to Mercer when he permits her to psychically question him. She smiles even more warmly when she gets her answers. "Those who seek a change for the better in the course of their lives are always welcome in the Legion. As I may likely be the most, ah, senior member of the Legion on the spot, consider your application approved. And thank you," she adds as he hefts the duffle bag up the hill for her, "I'm not too proud to admit the gear inside, while useful, is a bit much for me.".

When she sits and others join, she adds a general query to the group. "I don't suppose any of you has a vehicle parked nearby?"

She then gives Luke an understanding, but somber smile. "Very well. Then please, if you could, answer these questions all the same; it would help us to make plans. "
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

With each ransacked room and broken door, Cass’s heart ached. It was very clear to her that the place was searched methodically, and not simply looted. When she heard a voice calling with a desperate tone, a glimmer of hope lit in her chest. Maybe someone was still alive! She followed the sound, pushing the smashed door open further on its broken hinges. Clearer now that she was in the room, Cass could hear the radio scratch quality of the voice and her heart sank again.

She uncovered a clever storage box built in under the bed and knew she’d found something the looters missed. Inside she found a strange looking radio and under that a small locked box. Her first instinct was to respond to the desperate-sounding woman on the other end of the radio, but she didn’t want to be the one to tell this Nadine woman that Alex was no longer in the castle. It might be cowardly, but she put the task off and set the radio aside to inspect the box. It took less effort than it probably should for her to jimmy the locked box open. Her mouth dropped open at the contents.

C.Know 1d8!!: [5] = 5
wild 1d6!!: [15!!] = 15
She knew exactly what this was and exactly how to use it!

Cass heard Luke over their radio frequency talking about zombie goo. Anything that fried undead was a good thing in her book. Her fingers slid over the glowing necklace in her hands. ’Though not as good a thing as this beauty’, she thought. Then the radio crackled again, a public channel this time.
Mercer wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:44 pm “Hello the Castle. I am Ma.. Mercer. Jesse James Mercer. I was passing by when I noticed there might be a … problem here. Hello? Is anyone here?”
Slipping the necklace box into her pack, Cass scooped up the radio and made her way back down to the front gate. She knew these halls well and came around the last corner just in time to hear @Luke loudly calling someone an earthling. In the midst of this horror, she had to smile. His unique turns of phrase often made her smile and she’d missed that in the time they’d been separated.

-----------------------

With her dark hair, light eyes and sun-kissed skin, the tall Atlantean would have to work to blend into a crowd. She isn’t a flawless beauty, though. Her nose is a little too big, her dark brows a little too thick. Freckles, a couple small scars and a few fine lines join with a mischievous glint in her eyes to give her face more character than beauty. Gear and equipment are strapped around her body and she’s wearing a dated, worn set of body armor that doesn’t seal closed at the hands. There’s something familiar about her though. If one cares to try to remember, they will think she looks a lot like a singer, Kalaya Kole whose live performances and vids were popular maybe 10-12 years ago before she suddenly went silent.

---------

When asked, Cass agreed to answer Ophelia’s questions aloud, claiming it was for the benefit of the others assembled. If Ophelia attempts to psychically gauge her honesty, all of Cass’s answers are truthful.
”I am Cassiopeia Stormforge.

“I am here to help the Legion and Pas.”

“No, I don’t know for sure what happened, but I’ve read the wreckage and I might have found a clue.”


At the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”

When the older woman moves to shoulder her pack, Cass quietly offered to carry it to their chosen camp site.
Ophelia Monk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:26 pm "I have learned all of the following. Four days ago, there was a terrible battle here. In addition to normal armaments, the attack was accompanied by some sort of malevolent fog; it seemed to swallow those who were caught in it. I assume that is what caused the devastation here. Lord Coake and Elle of Owls survived the initial battle, but were then assaulted some two days later; I fear I do not know the outcome of that battle. A few hours ago, a pair of Gargoyles came through and captured a boy--I think finding and locating them is our first priority, though I am not certain they were part of the attack itself, or just opportunistic looters. Still, an innocent life is in danger, and sometimes the needs of the moment must be dealt with. If you all agree to it, we should head towards Whykin--the Gargoyles indicated they would be going in that direction."
Cass took this opportunity to pull out the radio she found and tell the group what she heard. A woman calling herself Nadine, calling for Alex and referencing gargoyles. ”I have not answered her. I didn’t know where Alex was. Perhaps we should try to respond. Maybe Nadine can give us some more details about what happened here.”
Last edited by Cassiopeia on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke quickly follows after the sludge and lures it in the container with some bugs (live ones).

Seeing Mercer and Ophelia going to make camp, Luke and Xander join them.

Luke doesn't sit but stands and continues to observe the landscape. Taking a tablet with Ophelia's questions, Luke reads them, nods, and begins answering them.

"My name is Luke and my bio suit is Xander."

"As to why we are here. We were formally part of the 77th DRT. I forget what the actual unit designation was. DRT was Disaster Reclamation and Termination. DRT summed up our units duties."

"We hadn't heard from Refuse, I mean Refuge in a while so we came back from Antarctica. "
Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 am At the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”
Luke laughs, "My dear, don't be so vague."

Looking at @Cassiopeia, "You are the sexiest multi-tool in the Three Galaxies. Don't let anyone tell you differently. "

"I on the other hand, am purely a Scientist ..."
Xander follows with, "... and Technician. "

"Yes. Yes. We do have some technical capabilities. "

Just Pray That Luke Does Not Connect With a Punch
Kittani Bio-Borg (In'Valian)
Luke has a d12+1 Strength without any points invested.
Last edited by Luke on Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Pas replies to Xanders ping with the bad news from inside. "Everyone is gone. I'm gonna work my way back to the courtyard and see if I can learn anything." After finding the shadow cloak Antipas continues to move through the abandoned castle and is surprised to find someone there not from the 77th when some diminutive humanoid approaches him. The Undead Slayer begins to reach for a weapon tattoo but stops short when he sees the beings aura: not a child, not unimpressive mystic energy stores, and very supernaturally good.
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am
“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”

After the greeting he decided to walk around the facility with them as they worked, he was amazed, not seeing any bodies it was obvious the people left. But maybe it was some sort of arcane anomaly. Opening his arcane senses he reached out trying to figure out what caused this effect.

Moving through he thought it was strange, there was a plate on the table with food only half eaten as if the person just got up and walked away.
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.

As they watch Penders message Antipas lets out a ragged sigh of relief when the woman begins to try and calm the babbling toddler. Placing his hand on the large tattooed holy symbol of Nemesis on his chest but before he can utter a prayer of gratitude the recording gets interrupted by an explosion. At first he is shocked and horrified, nearly frantic. But then, not without much struggle he calms his mind and tries to look at the situation like Luke would.

Ok, the jacket isn't here anymore. There is blood, but both Pender and the Mercy woman were wounded and there is a severed head, so who knows how much if any is from Angel. She's probably still alive and with one of them.

He carefully disconnects the head from the monitor and wraps it in a piece of cloth. "I've seen what I need to, gonna head back outside." Then Luke chimes in over the comms.
Luke wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:43 pm Once again transmitting on the 77th's frequency, "Pas. We have a complication here."

"My brother, we have a zombie-fying bio-sludge loose and it may have some friends loose around your location."

"We are analizing and determining a means to track this shit."
Thumbing the button he replies, "Fuck. It's never just one fucking thing is it? Well I do have good news. On my way out now and I'll fill you both in.." On their way our Pas is nearly civil to @Big Joe. Even answering a couple basic question like giving his name, queries he had earlier ignored.

Despite wanting to head out after Mercy and presumably Angel immediately, with just Luke and Cass if need be, reason wins out and Antipas recognizes a full team might be a good idea. So he waits for the gathering to share intel.
smarts to remember Ophelia
Smarts d6!!: [3] = 3
Wild d6!!: [4] = 4
The suggestion of a mind probe is greeted with a look of disdain by the undead slayer but before he can retort his cousin steps forward to volunteer. While he's still obviously annoyed he then also relents.


1: What is your name? Antipas Komnenos
2: Why are you here, now? Just returned from a mission, but I live here
3: Do you know what happened here, or who was responsible for it? Not yet
4: If you intend to help with the investigation of this debacle, what abilities do you bring to the table? I am a true Atlantean and an undead slayer

Then he turns to Luke and Cass, "My good news is that Angel is alive and not... where-ever. Same for Lumkiss and some woman named Mercy who's a glitterboy pilot. The pilot and Angel are headed east, I got her transponder code, and Lumkiss is either rounding up cavalry or getting himself into even more trouble. Possibly both. Bad news is the message cuts out before the twit got to saying who attacked."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe poked around a little bit before returning to the others. "Ain't to much here. Looks like people just up and left about a week ago. But then some others came with less concern for good cooking and ate up some nasty food." Kicking some stuff off of a bench so he could sit down and have a moment of comfort he listened as the others relayed what they learned.

"Well I am up for what ever y'all think we need to do." He declares simply.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke hears Pas on the 77th's frequency
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm Thumbing the button he replies, "Fuck. It's never just one fucking thing is it? Well I do have good news. On my way out now and I'll fill you both in.."
Replying to Pas, "I can absolutely guarentee that it is never just one thing. Hopefully, we can run all the things in nearly the same direction."

"Cass is here. Seems there are some people gathering outside the Castle. You will see us when you get clear of gate."

After cutting out on the 77th's frequency, Luke still holding his bio-sludge in a container, approaches @Ophelia Monk and inquires further about the metal orbs around the Castle.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Looking the others over Jesse takes a deep breath, holds it, then breaths out and says, ”So. Basically. East. Maybe towards Whykin. See if our … visions… are true. Maybe we can find a vehicle there to borrow.”

Sitting next to Ophelia and casually leaning back against a boulder his right hand rests by his energy pistol and his left moves about accenting his speech.

”So. The seven of us …”

Mercer eyes the others.

”Look. Whatever happened here. I think it happened to Whykin too. Maybe we head that way. See what we see?”

Looking at Luke the CS scientist frowns.

Everyone looked human enough. Except Luke. It unsettled the former CS Officer.

”What do you think?”
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

GM Notes on Traveling East
  • Two known large towns lie to the East.
    • Kingsdale: 90+ miles walking (4 days)
    • Whykin: 180+ miles walking (10-12 days)
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Interestingly at the camp @Mercer led the group to was a van that might have seen better days nestled in the brush. Those who could sense magic, definitely felt a surge as if being on a leyline for a split second. Maybe the van just appeared out of the ether or maybe it had been merely overlooked. Either way the van was going to need fuel and some tender care before it was ready to roll.

Edit: We will run this as two concurrent tasks that each take 6 hours to complete. Each character can join one of the tasks. Based on rolls already done and some discord chat, I am making note of who is the leader. Everyone else is essentially rolling support. Ppts and ammo(shooting or arcane skill): spend 3d6 plus any an edge would require that is in use. All rolls apply the scene modifier which is -4.
  • Task 1: vehicle repair, Sgt is the leader, lead skill must be repair. Scene modifier is -4.
    • Failure means the vehicle is fixed just enough to get to Kingsdale and any piloting roll is at -4. Plus it took double the time to repair.
    • Success: vehicle will last until Whykin, drive is at -2. Took six hours to repair
    • Raise: 1/2 the time, and no dive modifier. Vehicle is right as rain.
  • Task 2: Find Ethonal. No leader here yet. Lead skill must be notice. Scene modifer is -4.
    • Failure: Just enough Ethonal to get you half way to Kingsdale.
    • Success: You got enough to get to Kingsdale.
    • Raise: You got enough to get to Whykin!


Everyone please post once with a roll. Once everyone is done we will move on and head to Whykin in some fashion. Please continue the role play as well. It is epic!

Edit, great RP. +1 Benny
Attachments
2A0C5BB0-EFBB-44B1-85C9-1160B4076B10.jpeg
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

As Mercer was sitting against a boulder, a fairly sizeable boulder, the van was difficult for Luke to see, as it was behind the boulder from his vantage point.

Xander telepathically speaking to Luke, "It would appear that Mercer was either former CS or he took that armor from a CS ..."
"... officer, likely a Major," Luke finished.

Luke could sense some conflict or anxiety coming from @Mercer, so he decided to stay clear of him. So Luke walked directly towards Mercer.

To Mercer, "My good earthling, you feeling alright?"

In order to get near Mercer, Luke had to weave his way in and amongst the others gathered around the fire. That was when he noticed the VW van behind the boulder. Before Mercer can respond, Luke has gone beyond the Mercer confrontation and disappears behind the boulder.

Luke is behind the boulder for a few minutes before everyone hears "Wow!"

Luke has flashbacks to the 77th's Pimped Out Planetary Plasma Powered VW Bus. All because he dropped an Infinity Sphere into the engine block of a relic of a vehicle just like this own. No Infinity Sphere but he had time on his hands. He was determined to get the van up and running.


Repair 1d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Dice rolls
Repair 1d10!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.
Cass throws an apologetic look at Big Joe and waves an inviting gesture.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm
Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:55 amAt the forth question, Cass smiled “Let’s just say I have a particular set of skills and I’m older than I appear. I am a skilled fighter, investigator, linguist and scientist.”
Luke laughs, "My dear, don't be so vague."

Looking at Cassiopeia, "You are the sexiest multi-tool in the Three Galaxies. Don't let anyone tell you differently. "
A wide smile breaks across Cass’s face. She rolls her eyes and shakes her head fondly at him.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:08 pm"I on the other hand, am purely a Scientist ..."
Xander follows with, "... and Technician. "

"Yes. Yes. We do have some technical capabilities. "
Now it’s Cass’s turn to chuckle. If anyone turns a questioning look to her, she waves them off without elaborating. .
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pmThen he turns to Luke and Cass, "My good news is that Angel is alive and not... where-ever. Same for Lumkiss and some woman named Mercy who's a glitterboy pilot. The pilot and Angel are headed east, I got her transponder code, and Lumkiss is either rounding up cavalry or getting himself into even more trouble. Possibly both. Bad news is the message cuts out before the twit got to saying who attacked."
Cass holds up the radio ”Another child was taken by the gargoyles, also to the east. The answers lay that way. We’ll be able to follow them in the morning. Angel was taken by someone Pender obviously trusted, the boy Alex was not. With luck we can retrieve them both within the week. Until then, eat a ration and help me decide if the Nadine I heard on this radio was laying a trap or was another worried guardian.”

Mercer wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:46 pmLooking at Luke the CS scientist frowns.

Everyone looked human enough. Except Luke. It unsettled the former CS Officer.

”What do you think?”
Seeing the frown, Cass followed Mercer’s eyes to where Luke was walking around the edges of their “campsite.” She made to move her body between them and wracked her brain for a topic to get Mercer focused on talking to her. Before she could complete her maneuver, Luke brushed by her to speak directly to Mercer.
Luke wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:16 pmTo Mercer, "My good earthling, you feeling alright?"

In order to get near Mercer, Luke had to weave his way in and amongst the others gathered around the fire. That was when he noticed the VW van behind the boulder. Before Mercer can respond, Luke has gone beyond the Mercer confrontation and disappears behind the boulder.

Luke is behind the boulder for a few minutes before everyone hears "Wow!"


Cass laughed when the VW van was uncovered. She was sure she knew what Luke was thinking of when he saw it. She also knew that look on his face. "Well that will probably take care of the vehicle. Ophelia, I think I saw some mint and chamomile growing in the valley. If you start heating some water, I can make some tea for us."
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Ophelia listens to the others. ON the subject of the radio, she opines, "I think it is worth the risk to contact this Nadine. We are already heading into whatever danger a trap might have been set to produce; we may as well at least gain as much information as possible before leaping into the lion's den." She smiles gratefully at @Cassandra Maverick. "I would suggest we attempt to respond while your friend repairs the van, then."

She is more visibly disturbed as her new companions mention Lumkiss' current situation. "That poor man... My former commander never seems able to catch a break. Yes, if we follow him, we will definitely end up in the thick of things."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


When both Cass and Luke start walking towards him Mercer stands up. Crack. Pop. Both knees ache.

Hands down at his sides, telekineticly the snap on his holster pops open. His mind grabs ahold of the butt of the energy gun, ready to draw it with his mind alone.

This isn’t the first time he’s been around supernatural beings. Stacy radiated supernatural and they’d been… lov… friends. However, this is the first time he’s tried cooperating with several at once.

What they didn’t know was that each one of them had an aura around them and decades of training screamed to put them down.

It almost startled Mercer when Luke suddenly changed directions away from the former officer. He’d have sworn the alien was going to confront him. Sighing Mercer berated himself. Obviously it was just him. Not the others. He needed to try harder.

As he reached down to snap the holster closed he saw Cass was right there. That made him take a step back. He’d been distracted by Luke and Cass could have gotten him.

Shaking his head he took a step back from Cass. Trying to decide what to say he was saved by a loud yell of Wow!

***

Mercer pulls a computer pad out of his pack and a small bag of cables and electrical tools.

”Let me see if I can help you… Luke.”

Crawling under the dash the mercenary try’s several connectors eventually connecting the computer to the VW electronics. A chuckle and then music starts playing on the speaker of the vehicle. As Dres Marbles Left plays across the speakers of the VW Mercer says: ”Good start. Music. I love music. Let me see if I can fix the rest of these components. I’ve a lot of music on my computer. That and a few movies. Mostly old Action Stan stuff. Some newer movies made by a CS movie maker crew. But. Their stuff is mostly ripped off and pro human crap remades of the old AS stuff….”

Mercer continues to talk at Luke or whoever happens to be listening about music as he try’s repairing the electrical system of the vehicle.

Electronics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Forgot it was at -4. So bennie time.
1d6-4!!: [6]-4 = 2
1d6-4!!: [5]-4 = 1


After a long while Mercer sighs when the speakers stop working and he gets out of the vehicle.

“Geez. Old tech. I think it’s beyond me sorry.”
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm
Antipas wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:04 pm
Big Joe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:41 am“Dang, if I was here I could have saved them and helped them stay here. Looks like only half a dozen people here. Are any of you with this Tomorrow Legion? I wanted to offer my services, maybe I can help you figure out what happened here?”
"What the fuck are you suppos.. you know what, I don't even care right now. Help if you can but don't get in my way and if you try something stupid I'll cut you in half." The fellow, who eventually introduces himself as Big Joe, really isn't much help at all and Pas mostly ignores him as they work back towards the courtyard.
Cass throws an apologetic look at Big Joe and waves an inviting gesture.
Joe laughs a little and smiles at @Cassiopeia his ego offended by Antipas' behavior not showing on his face. His words in complete contradiction to his friendly demeanor as he replies to both of them. "Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an after thought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination." Unknown to Antipas and Cassiopeia the last bit was words he had heard about himself more than a few times, though somehow they never really sink in.

Then turning directly to @Antipas Big Joe smiles returning the insult and challenge. "So, which side are you on? Going to help us hunt down the gargoyles and see about saving the Cpt, or going to help them out by undermining the team?" The strange mixed words of a cocky youth and an experience soldier all coming out within 3 minutes from the same guy feels of contradiction. Obviously the guy had been on teams before and knew about organization, but the ego that went with it fit strangely to the idea of someone who had been in battle.

Feeling a little frustrated, the only reason Joe came to this place was so he could be recruited and find bigger badder things to fight. But now he did not even have a way of contacting the guy who sent him the recruitment.
OOC Comments
I am sure any character with reasonable empathy (persuasion) and human understanding would instantly pick up on the fact the man probably had some experience, but has had yet to receive a solid beating.
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Big Joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am
Joe laughs a little and smiles at @Cassiopeia his ego offended by Antipas' behavior not showing on his face. His words in complete contradiction to his friendly demeanor as he replies to both of them. "Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an after thought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination." Unknown to Antipas and Cassiopeia the last bit was words he had heard about himself more than a few times, though somehow they never really sink in.

Then turning directly to @Antipas Big Joe smiles returning the insult and challenge. "So, which side are you on? Going to help us hunt down the gargoyles and see about saving the Cpt, or going to help them out by undermining the team?" The strange mixed words of a cocky youth and an experience soldier all coming out within 3 minutes from the same guy feels of contradiction. Obviously the guy had been on teams before and knew about organization, but the ego that went with it fit strangely to the idea of someone who had been in battle.

Feeling a little frustrated, the only reason Joe came to this place was so he could be recruited and find bigger badder things to fight. But now he did not even have a way of contacting the guy who sent him the recruitment.
OOC Comments
I am sure any character with reasonable empathy (persuasion) and human understanding would instantly pick up on the fact the man probably had some experience, but has had yet to receive a solid beating.
The near 7 foot tall tattooed warrior hunches down to look Joe in the eye. "Look kid, or leprechaun, or whatever the fuck you are, saving Pender, the Legion, and this planet is practically my hobby and destroying evil is literally my lifes purpose." He touches a prominent tattoo of a
of the Greek/Atlantean Goddess of divine retribution, Nemesis
"The only thing more important than those things to me is my daughter, who as fate would have it seems to be converging with the rest of this mess. So yes I will be helping and if my unpleasant demeanor somehow "undermines" you I suggest you grow the fuck up."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe was about to let Antipas know who needed to grow up and which one of them was a kid when...
Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
Stiffening a bit at the words from the old guy. Okay, well he was human, so likely younger than Joe, but still he was an Old Guy. Joe realized he was likely looking pretty ridiculous in front of the rest of them. Deciding to hold his words he chose to move away and begin listening as the others shared what they had.
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 pm
Storing his portable computer back into his pack Mercer doesn’t even turn to face the bickering two as he says aloud:
”And you wonder why the CS kicked your asses in Tolkeen. You all couldn’t get along. Too many factions and big bad bad asses all trying to be top guy.”

Turning around he shrugs.

“Just saying. Same team … aren’t we?
At first the Atlantean looks over the human with a glare but then he nods and chuckles amiably. "Yeah, shitty first day. In my long experience as an asshole it usually finds a way to work out though."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hey everyone. Looks like we are in a dramatic task. See this post: https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.p ... 604#p76604
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Mercer wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:10 am Mercer continues to talk at Luke or whoever happens to be listening about music as he try’s repairing the electrical system of the vehicle.

Electronics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Forgot it was at -4. So bennie time.
1d6-4!!: [6]-4 = 2
1d6-4!!: [5]-4 = 1


After a long while Mercer sighs when the speakers stop working and he gets out of the vehicle.

“Geez. Old tech. I think it’s beyond me sorry.”
@Mercer "Look Mercer, is it. The last one of these I tinkered with had ZERO electronics. The engine was shot and the wiring had been entirely stripped out. Good attempt though. I appreciate the help."

https://youtu.be/Lyt-iPX5YwU
Last edited by Luke on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Looking to see what the commotion behind the bolder is leaves Antipas groaning in irritation, he then looks @Luke. "Is this a joke from the gods or are you.. No you'd make something better than this. X, what kind of dead matter do we need for this primitive heap?"

The AI replies "Ethanol, a form of alcohol, Antipas."

The Slayer nods, "Well, soldiers mean stills, hopefully one from the field teams was overlooked nearby. I'll have a look around. Anyone not working on the van is welcome to join me."
Task 2 Notice lead
Modifiers: Scene -4, Shades +2. Net -2
Notice d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll. New Modifier, Elan +2. New Net 0
Reroll Notice d6!!: [2] = 2
Reroll Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Big Joe wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:52 am"Ah, don't worry much about that. Guys like that are normally just assholes cause their mom's didn't hug them enough as babies. The type to toss their own kids to the wolves." Then as an afterthought he finishes. "That is why you never follow people like that into battle, they do not value others and end up helping the slavers and gargoyles more than hindering them by disrupting coordination."
Cass, thinking of the literal wolves the children in her clan usually faced during training, raised her eyebrows and brought a finger up. She opened her mouth to tell him a thing or two, but then bit down on her bottom lip and kept quiet. ’Nope. I’m not getting into a pissing contest with this little man. I’ll let Pas handle this one.’
Ophelia Monk wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:18 am"I think it is worth the risk to contact this Nadine. We are already heading into whatever danger a trap might have been set to produce; we may as well at least gain as much information as possible before leaping into the lion's den." She smiles gratefully at Cass. "I would suggest we attempt to respond while your friend repairs the van, then."
In short order, two cups of hot mint tea are prepared and the two women have their heads bent over the radio. It didn’t take much after that for Cass to figure out and show Ophelia how it worked. ”I think.. Yes definitely. This is the transmit button. We’ll need to hold that down to speak. It’s a little primitive in that regard.”

The atlantean looked up from the radio and over to where the work lights and sounds of frustration emanated from behind the old van. ”You go ahead and try to reach Nadine. I think I might be of some help with the van.” She smiled at the older woman and topped off her tea cup with a bit more hot water.

Cass gathered the field repair kit from her bag and carried it toward the back of the van where the engine compartment was wide open. Various lights from helmets and equipment packs lit the area and the bushes had been trampled down out of the way. Cass spread out her kit and twirled a screwdriver between her fingers. ”Do you mind if I help, gentleman? You sound like you’re struggling.”

Repair kit +1, scene modifier -4 = -3
repair 1d8!!-3: [3]-3 = 0
Wild 1d6!!-3: [8!!]-3 = 5


The engine and undercarriage were a mess. Even with all of them working on it, there were many uses of ancient mechanic power words. AKA profanity. With scraped knuckles and a greasy face, Cass finally wiggled out from under the van. Sticks and grass were caught in her dirty hair that stuck out in all directions. "That's the gearbox buttoned up. Man, that was a bitch to get at without a lift. How's it coming with the engine, Luke?" She used his hand to pull herself up to her feet and peered over his shoulder into the inner workings.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Cassiopeia wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:56 pm The engine and undercarriage were a mess. Even with all of them working on it, there were many uses of ancient mechanic power words. AKA profanity. With scraped knuckles and a greasy face, Cass finally wiggled out from under the van. Sticks and grass were caught in her dirty hair that stuck out in all directions. "That's the gearbox buttoned up. Man, that was a bitch to get at without a lift. How's it coming with the engine, Luke?" She used his hand to pull herself up to her feet and peered over his shoulder into the inner workings.
Cleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Luke wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pmCleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
"You had other things to be doing with those hands." She said softly and then kissed his palm. "You know I love to help. Sexy multi tool, remember?" She flashed him a wink and then stepped back to let him finish up.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Support Psionics to Fixing the Van:
Scene Modifier -4
Using Major Psi to boost roll by +2
Final roll: d12-2
ISP Used 3d6+4: [4, 1, 1]+4 = 10
Psionics 1d12!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild Psionics 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
Let's burn a Benny:
Psionics Re-Roll 1d12!!-2: [22!!]-2 = 20
Wild Psi Reroll 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1

Final tally: 8 ISP, 3/3 Bennies
Ophelia sighs a bit to herself as the younglings start the chest-beating, though she smiles as Mercer manages to pour a little oil over troubled waters. She gives him a small nod of approval when she catches his eye, next, and then wanders over to the duo working on the van. "Here, let me be of some assistance...."

She focuses on Luke, and for a period his mind is ablaze with everything he knows about machinery--even everything he ever forgot about fixing machines. Periodically, during the repairs, she gives him another nudge at an appropriate moment, and he is able to maintain his focus on getting the van moving.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe offers his help on the rig. "Hey, I can turn a wrench and solder a joint." He offers as he starts picking up some of the side work needed to get the rig going. As Joe picks up he begins working and do a lot of the pre-work, and preparation steps needed. helping things flow more smoothly as they try to repair the van.

Success 7 = +1 support
Repair (not sure if this is support or tokens) 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[7!!] = 12
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Cassiopeia wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:00 pm
Luke wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:38 pmCleaning grease smudges from her face, Luke says to Cass, "I could have lifted the van for you. Thanks for the help."
"You had other things to be doing with those hands." She said softly and then kissed his palm. "You know I love to help. Sexy multi tool, remember?" She flashed him a wink and then stepped back to let him finish up.
@Cassiopeia "Yes. Yes. Dear Lady do be careful with those instruments of destruction. Would hate to find a grease smudge I couldn't remove."

Luke turns back to the VW bus and begins to make modifications. He whistles while he works and pays little attention to anyone else while he does work.

Antipas wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:40 pm Looking to see what the commotion behind the bolder is leaves Antipas groaning in irritation, he then looks Luke. "Is this a joke from the gods or are you.. No you'd make something better than this. X, what kind of dead matter do we need for this primitive heap?"

The AI replies "Ethanol, a form of alcohol, Antipas."

The Slayer nods, "Well, soldiers mean stills, hopefully one from the field teams was overlooked nearby. I'll have a look around. Anyone not working on the van is welcome to join me."
Task 2 Notice lead
Modifiers: Scene -4, Shades +2. Net -2
Notice d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll. New Modifier, Elan +2. New Net 0
Reroll Notice d6!!: [2] = 2
Reroll Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
@Antipas "Pas, were there some downed Glitterboy Armor near the Castle? Check them first to see if their power cores are still available."

Luke holds up the contained sludge. "I am actually curious to see what this and what we can do with it."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Luke wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:55 pm

Antipas "Pas, were there some downed Glitterboy Armor near the Castle? Check them first to see if their power cores are still available."

Luke holds up the contained sludge. "I am actually curious to see what this and what we can do with it."
The slayer shrugs noncommittally and eyeballs the sludge, "I Can't support you messing with that. If it's anything like that shit from the sploogie bomb that's an
Extinction Level Event
in a bottle. I very strongly suggest we destroy it, any more of it we find, and any asshole whos responsible for spreading it. I am not at all curious what it can do, you said it zombifies. Not seeing any wrecked undead I'm guessing you saw it zom something else. So it zoms non sentient life forms as well. That's all I need for certain knowledge my imagination can do the rest."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

Tasura is mostly quiet when he meets his apparent new companions. His introduction to the Tomrrow Legion is not at all what he expected. If they are what is left of the legion, and they believe they can put things right, he will help. He does agree to @Ophelia Monk's mental interrogation.

'My name is Tasura Lotulelei. I am Lemurian. My people seek new allies, and I had hoped to find them amongst this Tomorrow Legion. My people are allies to the True Atlanteans, so your two Atlanteans should be able to ease your concerns. I am not of the Legion and I only just arrived myself. I played no part in the events which have unfolded. If you will have my strength, I command and mold the very earth we walk upon as easily as you breathe. I can also draw forth the power hidden within gemstones.'

At some point during all of this,
Bubs.jpg
returns to Tasura. The stone master reaches down and scratches the armadillo under the chin and whispers gently to the small creature. Many Lemurians have aquatic or avian companions, but Tasura has always been drawn to the earth, and Bubs was likewise drawn to Tasura.

When his new allies find the vehicle and ask him to help find fuel, Tasura agrees. He feels more comfortable around the familiarity of true atlanteans than some of these other strangers. Tasura picks Bubs up and allows the creature to
Bubs the armadiller Support
1d8!-4: [6]-4 = 2
and asks him to help too. The little armadillo runs off and doesn't return until the following day. He does bring back an empty ethanol container. At least his heart was in the right place.

Tasura
Tasura Support
Tasura Notice 1d6!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild 1d6!-4: [6!, 1]-4 = 3
Benny
Tasura Notice 2 1d6!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild 2 1d6!-4: [6!, 1]-4 = 3
Benny 2 Because Why Not?
Tasura Notice 3 1d6!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Wild 3 1d6!-4: [6!, 3]-4 = 5
around him, looking for natural or manmade caves and other likely hiding place someone might set up to distill alcohol. He makes note of all the places and confers with @Antipas and the pair set off to scavenge.
4/3 Bennies. Ill gussy this up later.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke is content while he and Xander discuss amongst themselves while working the repairs on the VW Bus.

"I think we got off pretty easy last time ..."
"... in the beginning. Yes in the beginning."

"That Infinity Orb made repairs ..."
" ... so quick, but the trouble that followed ..."
"... well that was certainly a mess afterwards."

Luke and Xander took care off electrical and mechanical details and saved the engine for last. The team was quick to respond with requests for salvaged and scavanged parts. Replacing the tires was tricky, as the steel and rubber had rotted and rusted away. Suitable substitutes were found and made.

When they got to the engine, neither was surprised to see that the engine had seized.

"On In'Valia, combustion engines were such a thing of the past ..."
"... most of the Three Galaxies have progressed beyond them as well."

"What about a self renewing ..."
"... source of power?"

Luke and Xander stopped over top of the extracted engine block. They turned from the engine block to the contained sludge.

"Do you recall if the sludge ..."
"... grew or changed its size and mass?" @Pender Lumkiss
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

After the vehicle repair is done, Ophelia addresses @Luke. "For what it is worth, I agree with Antipas; experimenting with the sludge, other than to find the most efficient means of its destruction, seems a potentially disastrous course of action. At the least, you should wait until we have some sort of facility where it can be properly contained."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Go East!
Spoon Fed Edition.
Conversation off scene, foreshadowing perhaps
“Brother, we found him.” Burp.
“Yes Brother. The culinary expert. Haha, we should have taken him in the dinning hall, but his allies seem capable. We strike when opportune.” Belch.
“Brother, our Splicer will have his answers and we will have our freedom.” Crunch crunch, something eating bone.
“Yes Brother, Mr. Kringle will be pleased.”
With the old earth VW van repaired and enough fuel found to make it to Kingsdale soon the group leaves the Castle of Refugee behind in search of the road. Before the group lay the eastern end of the Ozark mountain range: patches of dense forest, bumbling mountains, and a quagmire of swampy lakes or river ways. The only other established vestige of civilization and safety before Whykin was the city of Kingsdale. To stop at Kingsdale prior to continuing onto Whykin would only add about 10 extra miles to the trip.
Common Kn Kingsdale
It is about 97 miles by all terrain vehicle like a big boss
  • Kingsdale is known as a place where strangers and outcasts of any kind are welcome, and where magic and outlawed technologies are embraced. Adventurers travel to the city from everywhere for its uniquely inclusive atmosphere and for the wide array of goods and services available within the settlement's well-protected borders— including its extensive Cybernetic, Bionic, Juicer, and Crazy augmentation facilities. Many mercenary companies and powerful organizations use the city as a base for recruitment, and there is even a brokerage service to help warriors seeking augmentation contact potential employers willing to sponsor them.
Common kn Whykin
It is about 190 miles by all terrain vehicle like a big boss
  • Whykin is a kingdom of human supremacists that grew out of the remains of the pre-Rifts city of Poplar Bluff, Missouri, and now extends down to its port on the western banks of the Mississippi, Calm Waters (formerly New Madrid). The kingdom has a surprisingly large population and is on very good terms with the Coalition States. The two have come to each other's aid many times in the past. The Coalition has been inundating the kingdom with propaganda for years, but the king and his people prefer to remain independent for now.
Alone in the dark with the Castle behind, the creeping silence and darkness of the outdoors threatened to swallow the VW Van whole. Cutting through the abject horrors of what might lay waiting in the pitch, Xander, Luke’s AI piped up over the groups comms commenting in his own way on the absolute darkness against which the VW van’s headlights were but a small candel, ”To quote, the last of the great Prometheans Lord Byron, I had a dream, which was not all a dream. The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars Did wander darkling in the eternal space, Rayless, and pathless, and the icy earth Swung blind and blackening in the moonless air.. Silence followed and it soon became evident the VW van was not an all terrain vehicle. Without the ancient roadways of old earth that were well paved and maintained it was a slow thrum through the thicket (faster than walking, but still slow). With only enough ethanol to get to Kingsdale the journey has begun!
Big Joe, unsettled
The hairs on the back of your beautifully formed neck are standing on end. You can feel something out there is watching you (besides Antipas’ tree).
Antipas’ Tree
Its sort of weird that such an intense true atlantean would carry shrubbery around. All party members might find it a bit weird. You could swear the tree was watching you, almost as if studying you. But when you try to get a closer look…. meh, its just a normal tree. Unless you are a Psi Druid and then you are in for the shock of a lifetime.
Legion’s emergency radio frequency
Nothing is coming through except for a faint hiss of static.
Cassiopia’s weird science radio
The voice was back, but really soft and very scared. “Aleks?” Static, “Oh god Aleks he found me, I hope you got away from… Oh no Parsons…. Thud!” Static. Silence.

A male voice came on over the radio. It was professional but yet was only a veil for the underlying anger. “Whoever this is. I have a particular set of skills, honed and crafted over a lifetime of experience. If she does not have what I seek, I’ll find you no matter where you are and ask you next. Give me back Glitter-” Crunch! The connection was broken.
Luke’s Bottle of Slime
The slime seems to not have grown when interacting with organic material.
Stone Master’s Road Way
Beneath much of the brush and wilderness that has encroached over the land you can feel a network of a type of stone roadway that interconnects and weaves its ways across the country side. +2 if you participate in some manner on the navigation task.
Ophelia feels that familiar tingle
You can feel someone is trying to communicate telepathically with you. Normally you would need to meditate to establish this connection. You know from past experiences it is not good to ignore them for too long. Obligation Hindrance.
Mercer feels something strange yonder
You know your leylines. The leylines in the vicinity have a strange ebb and flow about them. The van does not past close enough for you to get anything more specific from the leylines. Perhaps a detour is in order, hehe.

Ok folks lets break out the Journey rules…. A little modified.

Step 1: Horror Factor lvl 2. Yikes, the terror of the world has started to creep in. Make a fear check at -2. Succeed you are able to cope with what was found at the castle and the isolation of being on the wild road. Fail: Your journey rolls suffer an additional -2. Crit fail: same as fail, except you roll on fear table per standard rules. GM will work with you on the result. Roll for sidekicks.

Step 2: roll a 1d4 (roll for sidekicks too)
  • 1) Enemy: An enemy of your character has found the group! Make a vigor roll or suffer one wound! The enemies efforts hinder your task roll by -2.
  • 2) Strangers: The road is not as desolate as you had thought. A timely arrival of a stranger or a group of strangers in some manner help you in your task. Add +1 to your roll.
  • 3) Treasure! Something uswful has been found in the darkness. It provided timely aid on your task. Roll 1d20 on the table of choice: body armor, range weapon, close weapon, or enchanted items. Plus the item in some fashion aids your task giving you a +2.
  • 4) Obstacle: something along the road makes it just that more challenging. -1 to your journey roll.
Step 3: Choose a leader for Navigation(Survival), Lookout(Notice), Piloting(Driving), Scout(Stealth). Character’s not taking the lead can roll any reasonable skill to support. Support rolls are not affected by additional modifiers on any lead roll. Support rolls can only add upto a +2 bonus. The most bonus a lead roll can gain from multiple support rolls is a +4. Sidekicks can roll support.
Navigation, Survival roll is made at -2 for difficult terrain
-Success: The party is headed in the right direction, no extra effect.
-Raise: The following Lookout, Pilot, and Scout rolls are all made at a +1 bonus.
-Failure: The party wastes time traveling in circles or doubling back, making no meaningful headway.
-Critical Failure: The group heads in the wrong direction and becomes lost. The Navigator must make a successful Survival roll at a −2 penalty to reorient the party at a subsequent date (checked once per day of Travel as usual, only if they realize they are lost—GM's discretion).
Lookout, Notice roll
-Success: You keep a good watch. Draw for Encounters as normal.
-Raise: The party cannot be ambushed by a random encounter (see Surprise in Savage Worlds).
-Failure: Failure means each member of the party must check Agility or suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises (or Vehicle Fatigue for those driving vehicles). In an area with a Horror Factor of −2 or –3 a Wound is suffered instead (d4 Wounds at Horror Factor –4 or worse).
-Critical Failure: As a failure, but the Agility checks are made at a –2 penalty and always result in Wounds.
Piloting, Driving roll is made at -2 for difficult terrain, additionally
Success: takes three days to Kingsdale (three GM encounter cards drawn, each enemy card drawn is counts to a quick encounter style combat at a cumulative-2)
Raise: Takes two days to get to Kingsdale (two GM encounter cards drawn)
Failure: Takes four days to Kingsdale (Four GM encounter cards drawn)
Critfailure: You travel for 4 days, and only make it half way to Kings-dale. Additionally the vehicle takes a point of vehicle fatigue.
Scout, Stealth roll
-Success: The party is forewarned of what lies ahead. Draw for Encounters as normal.
-Raise: the party may draw two encounter cards from the Action Deck and choose the result (see Encounters under Travel in Savage Worlds).
-Failure: The GM draws two encounter cards from the Action Deck and chooses the result (see Encounters under Travel in Savage Worlds).
-Critical Failure: The GM rolls on the Trouble table, complicated by a roll of If Things Weren't Bad Enough and The Plot Thickens per the Rifts® Game Master's Handbook.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
CK Kingsdale 1d8!!: [15!!] = 15
Wild CK Kingsdale 1d6!!: [3] = 3
CK Whykin 1d8!!: [1] = 1
Kingsdale 1d6!!: [4] = 4

Fear check 1d8!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild Spirit 1d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Fear Result 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12
Shaken momentarily, suffers -2 on Journey rolls.
Unshake 1d8!!: [4] = 4
Wild Spirit 1d6!!: [2] = 2

Circumstance (Step 2) 1d4: [3] = 3
3) Treasure! Something uswful has been found in the darkness. It provided timely aid on your task. Roll 1d20 on the table of choice: body armor, range weapon, close weapon, or enchanted items. Plus the item in some fashion aids your task giving you a +2.
Body Armor Table 1d20: [17] = 17
Good for all situations, this armor suit has +1 Embedded Toughness to handle the sharpest blades and most piercing lasers. This result may only be applied once.

Ophie's Suggestions (tallies include Scene modifiers):
Navigation: Antipas (d6-2 Survival)
Pilot: Cass (d4-4 Driving, w/Elan); Tasura & Big Joe on Support at -2
Lookout: Mercer (Notice d8+2)
Stealth: Ophelia (Stealth d6+2) (+2 from my Card-Flip roll, -2 from failing the Fear check, -2 MAP (so she can address her Obligation Hindrance) and finally +4 from being a Psi-Ghost and going intangibie at will.

Stealth 1d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild Stealth 1d6!!+2: [9!!]+2 = 11
-Raise: the party may draw two encounter cards from the Action Deck and choose the result (see Encounters under Travel in Savage Worlds).
Ophelia shudders at the encroaching dread inspired by the gloomy, foreboding wilderness. Heart hammering in her chest, she manages to keep her voice steady as she speaks. "Having had some time to assess our talents, I am going to ask that Antipas keep us on-course, and that you keep an eye out for trouble, Mr. Mercer. I shall periodically scout ahead of the vehicle, to make certain we aren't driving into an ambush. You and I will, of course, both need to keep an eye out for any sign of the Gargoyles whose trail we are following. Miss Cassiopeia, I request that you do your best behind the wheel--I know, I know--but frankly, none of us is going to do a very good job of it, and you have a bit of a knack in difficult circumstances. Big Joe and Tasura, please assist Miss Cassiopeia to the best of your abilities--ideally, we only need keep this moving until Kingsdale, and then we can acquire a more suitable transport for the next leg of the journey." She does not add that "acquire" may need to be... creatively interpreted.

"Kingsdale should be fairly open to us--they are fairly cosmopolitan, and so long as we don't make trouble there, we'll be fine. Whykin, on the other hand... well, most of us look human enough, but I'm afraid you'll want to keep a low profile there, Tasura. They're not a Coalition city, yet, but not for lack of trying the Coalition propagandist's part, and they're quite in-line with Prosek's thinking on the subject of D-Bees, mutants and so forth. Anyone who stands out is likely to receive grief." She gives a sympathetic look to the Lemurian. I suppose we're lucky, so far as that goes, that we don't have anyone truly alien in the group.

"Now, if you will all excuse me, I am going to make my first foray ahead of us, while the rest of you figure out our best immediate route forward." With that, the old woman starts walking slowly towards the trees, and then simply walks through them with no difficulty at all.

Once she is out of sight, and after taking care to ensure that there really ARE no dangers immediately ahead, she finds a nice, quiet spot and answers her associates. Is there something I can do for you? Something has happened here--I fear many of the Legion may be dead, or possibly captured. We are currently pursuing leads, and heading towards Whykin. I have assembled a small team of... well, not survivors, so much as others like myself, who simply lucked into not being at the Castle when things went down.

We are aware. In fact, we've arranged for a bit of assistance--you'll find it in that abandoned shed on your left. Now, as for why we called you...."

Inside the shed, Ophelia does, indeed, discover an upgraded version of her existing tactical suit. One quick-change later (easier for her, since she just has to not include the armor when ghosting) and she's in the new suit. After a moment, she opts to leave the old one here. Better not to give rise to too many questions.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Scene roll d4: [3] = 3
Enchanted Items and Mystic Devices roll: d20: [8] = 8
Fear Roll 8
Spirit d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
S Wild d6!!-2: [10!!]-2 = 8
Survival to navigate 8
Modifiers: Scene -2, Random scene modifier +2. Net 0
Survival d6!!: [8!!] = 8
Wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Nodding to confirm his orders Antipas sets out the maps he has on the area and does his best to keep the VW heading through valleys that lead towards their destination. Occasionally he climbs a hill or out cropping to get an overview of their bearings and during one such foray he notices a glimmer of something metallic on a nearby outcropping. heading over to check it out he finds a discarded pair of still functional magic optics goggles. More importantly he finds a valley and stretch of scrubland called the flats. A popular run for travelers in general but speed freaks in particular, the flats was a near straight shot to the city of Kingsdale.

Returning to the van Antipas drops the goggles into the cupholder on the console. "Found some mage sight goggles if anyone needs em. Also if we can get over these hills here, the valley is a prime smuggler run that'll take us right to Kingsdale."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


  • CK Kingsdale 1d6!!: [3] = 3
    1d6!!: [3] = 3 = failure, never been there.
  • CK Whykin 1d6!!: [2] = 2
    1d6!!: [11!!] = 11 = yeah. I spent some time there.
  • Fear Roll -2 and +2 from Brave Edge 1d6!!: [4] = 4
    1d6!!: [2] = 2
  • Scene d4 Roll 1d4: [4] = 4 well damn, Obstacle: something along the road makes it just that more challenging. -1 to your journey roll.
  • Lookout/Notice Roll d8+2-1, 1d8-1!!: [5]-1 = 4
    1d6-1!!: [3]-1 = 2
    Success: You keep a good watch. Draw for Encounters as normal.



Yet again the former CS scientist turned freelance mercenary is thankful to have his goggles. They assist him keeping lookout. Sharper, crisp vision with computer aided details he is able to warn the team of a few issues they are able to avoid. The experimental goggles had been stolen by Mercer on his last job with Stacy.

There was discussion of what town to go to. Kingsdale, he’d never been there. Or Whykin. He liked Whykin. Been there a bunch of times after being exiled. He stolen some nice grenades and sold gear for credits there with Stacy. But. With the little fuel they had. Kingsdale it is.

Mercer didn’t sit in the VW much. Occasionally he sat on top of it. Mostly he moved ahead using the nearly silent jet pack to keep a kind of overwatch on the group and surroundings.

The darkness was eerie for sure but he’d mostly spent his CS time on night shift at the Devils Archway, that jaded one to the scary. As far as the Castle. He’d never seen it before. It was an oddity now.

Tracking gargoyles felt like the old days hunting down things that got past the CS from the portal in St. Louis. When Ophelia gives out directions to the group he smiles. Agreeing with her choice he inwardly acknowledges that taking commands from her is easier than it would be from the others.

Seeing her walk through the trees. Literally walk through them cemented what he had suspected she was. Only Luke and Tasura were still unsure to him. He’d figure it over time. The important thing to Mercer was they all seemed like good … people. His time with Stacy, a dimensional being from not Earth, had mellowed his outlook a lot.

He’d taken to wearing a old poncho over his armor to help conceal that it was CS armor. Dirt rubbed over the whole of his gear all CS insignia and marking were removed.

Further along in the trip, as he moved from tree top to tree top assisted by the jet pack he nearly slammed into the next tree as his vision momentarily wiggled and his stomach turned.

Closing his eyes he stood in the path ahead of the VW. Hunched over he shook his head and as the VW pulled up behind him, he informed everyone of the oddity.

”Hey I, hmm, look I have spent decades studying Ley Lines. The ones in the vicinity have a strange ebb and flow about them. If I were alone I’d go investigate them for sure. As I’m not. I’m letting you know. It’s very odd. Like empty castle odd. Think we should detour? Or carry on?”
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Opelika frowns a moment at @Mercer . "How large of a detour are we talking about? Would we even have enough fuel o make it to kingsdale?"
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Mercer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:08 am ”Hey I, hmm, look I have spent decades studying Ley Lines. The ones in the vicinity have a strange ebb and flow about them. If I were alone I’d go investigate them for sure. As I’m not. I’m letting you know. It’s very odd. Like empty castle odd. Think we should detour? Or carry on?”

"It may well give us a clue to what's going on. The three of us.." He indicates Luke and Cassiopeia, "Rifted back to the area this morning and I had to drop us 50 miles from the castle because the nexus there wasn't receiving."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Luke's AI, Xander pipes up over the communication system informing the heroes exactly how far the Leyline in question would be. " Calculating... Calculating... The ley line Mercer is speaking of appears to be no more than 5 miles away." After a brief pause the AI continued in a manner of fact way, "Based on fuel gathered, the engine's consumption rate, and current rate of travel we may end up needing to coast into Kingsdale for the last mile or so if we deviate from our course. Calculating... Calculating... Of course at this point I cannot guarantee any further impediments to our journey."
2d6: [4, 1] = 5
@Mercer
@Ophelia Monk
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke joins @Mercer on top of the van. He uses the vantage point to keep the van together. Tacking and welding where possible and binding the seams and edges of the van.

Periodically, Luke and Xander take flight using sonics to map the terrain ahead. Returning to the van they upload the images to Mercer's laptop for him to analyze.

Xander let Luke know that power levels were low, about the same time that Mercer announced the Ley Line proximity. ["Xander, can we make it to the Ley Line."] Luke begins fiddling with some gear to attempt a converter from the Ley Line to Xander, cuz buddy needs a charge. While he is doing that, also considers a means to convert the van from bio-fuel to possibly PPE, a In'Valian TW conversion.

1.
Fear Spirit 1d10!!-2: [9]-2 = 7


2.
Mystery 1d4!!: [7!!] = 7


3. Danger Sense and
Notice 1d4!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Listening to the others Mercer nods.

“Something odd is up. Only because it might be related to what happened to the castle do I suggest investigating it. If we end up walking the last few miles to Kingsdale, well, I probably could use the exercise. Your call Ophelia.”

As Luke passes data onto Mercer, the exiled CS officer absently says thank you. It’s getting easier to work with the others as they work together.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

Ophelia bites her lower lip, considering. Expedience would dictate trying to find the rest of the Legionnaires, first. But the Legion was not founded the virtue of 'expediency'. Other priorities must weigh in. Finally, she speaks. "@Cassiopeia, is there any way you can tell what direction that radio signal came from? If yes, then that would be our priority. There is not a soul in Castle Refuge that would have wanted us to rescue them, if it meant leaving a child in danger. If no... then yes, we should investigate the Ley Line, and deal with the transportation difficulties when they come."
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Pender Lumkiss wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:21 pm The voice was back, but really soft and very scared. “Aleks?” Static, “Oh god Aleks he found me, I hope you got away from… Oh no Parsons…. Thud!” Static. Silence.

A male voice came on over the radio. It was professional but yet was only a veil for the underlying anger. “Whoever this is. I have a particular set of skills, honed and crafted over a lifetime of experience. If she does not have what I seek, I’ll find you no matter where you are and ask you next. Give me back Glitter-” Crunch! The connection was broken.
Cassiopeia stood with the radio she found in her hands. When it crackles to life, she had to hold it to her ear to hear the woman’s voice. Jerking the radio away from her ear when the man’s voice comes through more clearly, Cass stared at the device like it was a venomous snake. That voice reached deep into her mind and tickled at old fears and terrors past. Cass raised her eyes from the radio in her hands to look out over the wreckage of the valley. In the dark she could forget about the abandoned fortress that had once stood as a beacon of hope in a land full of war and injustice. Now, with the sun streaming in over the eastern treetops, the reality of what happened here seeped into her bones like a winter chill. Cass wrapped her arms around herself, swallowing hard and trying to breathe around the knot of dread squeezing her insides.
fear check 1d8!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
wild 1d6!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Nausea, heartburn, upset stomach... -2


Hearing her name helps to pull her attention away from Castle Refuge. She turns and looks at Ophelia while she talks, not really understanding the words at first.
Ophelia Monk wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:05 amMiss Cassiopeia, I request that you do your best behind the wheel--I know, I know--but frankly, none of us is going to do a very good job of it, and you have a bit of a knack in difficult circumstances.
”You….You want me to drive this thing?” The tall atlantean’s gaze jumped from Ophelia to Antipas and then around the rest of the group. Coming back to meet Ophelia’s eyes, she saw the woman’s conviction in her decision. Cass shook herself a little and then turned back to the cab of the van. Fear and dread still niggled at her brain and made her fingers feel cold and stiff, but she tried to focus on taking stock of the situation.

“Well, I guess I’m as good a choice as anyone.” She raised her eyebrows and started checking the driver's seat and steering mechanism. It was tough to pull the wheel this way and that, but she thought she could manage. As she started packing her gear into the van, Mercer stepped up and started to explain about the funky ley lines. If asked, Cass would have agreed that the twisted ley lines had piqued her curiosity as well, but she’d been too focused on Pas, Angel and the castle.
Ophelia Monk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:35 am"@Cassiopeia, is there any way you can tell what direction that radio signal came from? If yes, then that would be our priority. There is not a soul in Castle Refuge that would have wanted us to rescue them, if it meant leaving a child in danger. If no... then yes, we should investigate the Ley Line, and deal with the transportation difficulties when they come."
With deep sigh, Cass pulled the radio out of her bag and turned to explain the message she’d received at sunrise. ”I don’t think there is anyone left to rescue. I vote that we check out the ley line and then get to Kingsdale.”

--------------------

Driving and enemy attack complication still in progress.
Driving 7

scene 1d4: [1] = 1 - Enemy... -2 to task
vigor roll Vigor 1d6!!: [5] = 5
wild 1d6!!: [5] = 5

Unskilled -2, and difficult terrain -2 total -8
Driving 1d4!!-8: [11!!]-8 = 3
Wild 1d6!!-i: [2] = 2 -8=-6
+1 from Antipas navigation raise = 4, success!

Last edited by Cassiopeia on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

Tasura
Spirit 1d6!-2: [6!, 2]-2 = 6
Wild 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2
watches their way forward. He feels for ancient pathways cutting through the earth below, invisible to the others, but plain as day with his connection to stone. It crosses the land all around, unseen. The paths break apart in places but are altogether still whole, hidden under a layer of earth and flora. They almost remind him of earthen ley lines. They emenate no power, but they're as omnipresent underground as the ley lines are in the sky.

The going is easier along the pathways. The growth hasn't had as much time to grow thick and strong, and the stone impedes roots from going too deep too quickly. Tasura dares not touch the strange machine, but he
Notice 1d6!+3: [6!, 2]+3 = 11
Wild 1d6!+3: [5]+3 = 8
it. He keeps the van on or as close to the hidden pathways as possible, and the going is much more smooth than it could have been.

One of the paths branch off away from the direction the group is heading. Its getting late, and Tasura catches a glimpse of smoke in the sky. He alerts the others. Upon further investigation, a
1d4: [2] = 2
has set up camp for the night. They don't have much to offer in way of supplies, but they do share what they know of the surounding area.
4/3 Bennies. Ill gussy this up later.
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Tons of rolls
Common Knowledge Kingsdale 1d6!! or 1d6!!: [2]+[1] = 3
Common Knowledge Whykin 1d6!! or 1d6!!: [5]+[4] = 9
Fear 1d8!! or 1d6!! and -2 to highest roll: [6]+[1] = 7
Step 2 roll 1d4: [2] = 2 2) Strangers: The road is not as desolate as you had thought. A timely arrival of a stranger or a group of strangers in some manner help you in your task. Add +1 to your roll.
Driving 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! Ace provides +2, unskilled provides -2 these cancel each other: [3]+[2] = 5
Benny to reroll Driving.
Driving 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!! Ace provides +2, unskilled provides -2 these cancel each other: [1]+[4] = 5
As the team packs up and gets takes off Joe listens to the conversation about the ley line. Thinking to himself how strange it all sounds he concentrates his mind for a moment and then with a mumbled word and a gesture activates his true sight. As he studies the other team mates, the ley line and even the ground around them. He is surprised to see how much of it is obviously supernatural. "Human? I suppose if all they have is soldiers. But if they have a couple dog boys, or a mind melter, no way they would consider us human." He says to @Ophelia Monk.

Then suddenly Joe watches as the van hurls towards a tree. Not just any tree, but one of those normal everyday trees that tend not to jump out of the way when a van is racing through the forest at 20 miles per hours. Reaching forward Joe grabs the steering wheel when he sees her begin to over correct and pull it straight his lack of seatbelt allowing him to move freely as he reached forward. "Careful lass, you do not have to prove anything to us, we believed you when you said you do not have much driving experience." He jibes at her before offering. "Why don't we pull over and let me drive the next leg. I prefer flying things, or boats. This thing looks like it is nothing more than a boat on land, so I will do great.."

"By the way. Anyone here feel like someone is watching us? Not like the creepy guy with the tree watches us." He twitches his head at Pas. "But more like someone who is hiding the fact that he stares at ya?"
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 am”You….You want me to drive this thing?” The tall atlantean’s gaze jumped from Ophelia to Antipas and then around the rest of the group. Coming back to meet Ophelia’s eyes, she saw the woman’s conviction in her decision. Cass shook herself a little and then turned back to the cab of the van. Fear and dread still niggled at her brain and made her fingers feel cold and stiff, but she tried to focus on taking stock of the situation.
Luke is likely the first one to laugh at @Cassiopeia's remarks.

"My dear, I would have modified ...
... the engine on this primitive vehicle.
"

"The odds of us safely making it to Kingsdale ...
... in this deathtrap is 0.00015 % without modification."
"
Cassiopeia wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:05 am“Well, I guess I’m as good a choice as anyone.” She raised her eyebrows and started checking the driver's seat and steering mechanism. It was tough to pull the wheel this way and that, but she thought she could manage. As she started packing her gear into the van, Mercer stepped up and started to explain about the funky ley lines. If asked, Cass would have agreed that the twisted ley lines had piqued her curiosity as well, but she’d been too focused on Pas, Angel and the castle.
"Cass, remember the 'Snow Cat' ...
... we modified for speed in Antartica?
"

"That vehicle was in much better ...
... condition than this bus.
"

"You got behind the wheel and we ended up ...
... in a snow bank several miles away.
"

At this Luke laughs again. "You are a much better space pilot ...
... but we trust your skills none the less.
"
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Luke wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:15 pm At this Luke laughs again. "You are a much better space pilot ...
... but we trust your skills none the less.
"
Antipas actually gives a genuine laugh at the suggestion that Cass can fly. Memories of their training and her almost killing them both flashed before his minds eye. "You have obviously never flown with her,
Atlantean for brother
."
He pauses a second for bumps and branches. "It's much like this but at several hundred klicks a second and the trees are asteroids. So a lot more terrifying actually."
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 3625
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spoon Fed edition

Two days of travel
Assume you rested for 16 total hours.
Deduct two days worth of rations and water. No rations or water? Make a vigor roll, fail take a level of fatigue. Feel free to share.
Conditions: Night, partial cloud cover, 1/2 mile to leyline, in a heavily forested area.


Overall the drive was fairly smooth, @Cassiopeia seemed to either have a knack, was well supported by her teammates, or was unnaturally lucky. Probably a combination of all three. Although, about eight hours into the drive she did uncharacteristically swerve, nearly smacked into a tree and ran over a baby deer. Inside the cab a dull thud reverberated through the hull of the van. But other than that oddity the drive was smooth, but It would seem a slight detour was in order.

After a couple of days of traveling through the thick and thin of forest, swamp, bog, and the meandering ozark mountains the van rolled toward the leyline @Mercer had noticed. All in all the ley line was about five miles out of the way, and Zander droned, ”After stopping at the leyline it should not be more than a days travel to Kingsdale, Those Hunters Tasura met mentioned the Silver Road Inn’s meals were to die for.”. The thought of a nice meal at the Silver Road Inn made ones tummy rumble and throat grow dry. All too soon the electric blue line stretching more than 50 feet high was set before the group of inquisitive heroes, just beyond one more rise.
+ 1 Benny if your hindrance drove you to this decision, ala Curious…

About half a mile coming over the last rise to the leyline the group saw the following:

Stretching for miles in either direction in a more or less North/South fashion this particular section of the line was nestled just above the tree line with a rocky outcropping on its south east side. Its blue energy popped and crackled more than normal. Strangely it seemed that the group was not the first to arrive on scene. 10”(50 feet) away from the line were two white luminescent dome structures peeking out of the forest. A helicopter was hovering over head leaving the area. The markings on both the helicopter and domes held the infamous sword and skeleton head of the Coalition.

The radio suddenly came alive with hectic conversation, followed by the helicopter crashing against the rocky outcropping as the pilot lost control. Then the forest around the structures and van exploded!

A squeaky male voiceProsek’s Balls! Another is loose, its- Agggrhh” A burst of static.
A stern frantic voice, “Here we go people. Strap in, Jenson secure that sample. Take off, Take off! Activate burn protol!”
A female voice, cool and collected, “Sir! Protocol will not engage.”
A frantic male, “It got Ted, we need help! Send- Arrggghhh”
The stern voice again, “Tarn’s Ts! Get us out of here and switch to a dam secure channel.”
A swauve male voice, “Yes Sir! Zero 1-9ner this is Helo Flight Tango Alpha Charlie heading to Echo base are you sure you do not want a ride?” No reply.
Suddenly the pilot came back on screaming, “What the…. Prosek’s B’lls! Get off get off! Argghh” The pilot stopped screaming but the chanel was left open letting the heroes hear the screams of the passengers as the helicopter banked directly into the rock outcropping exploding in a massive fireball. The radio went quiet. Eight more explosions lit up the forest floor. Two were quite close to the van.
Notice, feel free to add danger sense modifier to this
Skelebots self detonating!
Metal fragments pierced the right side of the van. The smoldering light of the explosion closest to the van revealed a man wearing technowizard adventure armor near a tall tree seeking cover. Was he another threat or ally? The headlights of the van fluctuated indicating the Van might be due for some routine maintenance. As the fires died down the forest was plunged once again into a stifling darkness lit only by the dim headlights of the VW Van. One thing was certain, the Van would go no further against the dense forest that lay between the team the domes and wrecked helicopter.
Notice -2
Something is moving in the dome to the left. Even from half a mile out you can make out at least a shadow of movement.
Cassiopeia and Alek’s radio
science roll at -4 reveals that the transmission of this Nadine woman came from somewhere in the Colorado Baronies. Amazingly the radio was designed to bounce off of other active communication systems dramatically increasing its range.
Mercer’s radio
“Mercer, is that you? Frak, I should shoot you dead. But…. You saved my kid. Were even now. Watch your back Mercer, those egg heads found a bunch of things at the leyline, quarantined them. Something happened, one, maybe more got loose. A group of humters passed by a bit ago, I am going to hook up with them and make my way back to El Dorado. Frak I told those poor saps not bring one on board. Next time you are dead Mercer. Zero 1-9ner out.”
Tasura’s conversation with hunter Mazrik

A day ago, sitting with the Hunters their leader grudgingly offered Tusume food and water. The man was of a stark white complexion and had a distinctive Quebec accent, “Wez come from the cold North eh. Voulez, we are lookingz for ze big gamez. Rhinoz buffelo and such eh. Bewarez ze citiez life Tusume, Kingzdale ze on lockdown after what happened at ze Whykin eh. No onez tellingz the fullz story, ze Whykin found itz self bombarded fromz ze air by an unseenz force, followed byz a fog zat enveloped a zerd of ze city. Ze say zo many peoplez arez missing.” He paused looking at Tasura frowning, “Ze say ze devistation at Merctownz was evenz worse. But whose knows eh? Couldz be just rumor thrown about inz dark timz.”
Big Joe’s Feeling
The words of your mother ring in your ears, Joe, honey you are special and I am so sorry honey but some people will try to find out why. These people will go to great lengths, and honey I am so sorry but they will not be nice. Maybe you are being paranoid but you cannot help but shake the feeling these types are closing in.

The only thing out of the ordinary your true sight reveled was that the small tree Antpas carried was slightly supernatural.
Psi Druid, Clark
The forest called you to this Coalition research area, something was unnatural. You arrived about half a mile from it, just as a Van approached. From he Van you could feel some plant calling to you. Whatever it was, Its presence was young maybe a baby, but if nurtured just right it could flourish into something womderful.
Antipas
Your tree has been needing almost twice as much water as normal.
Ophelia, Psi Ghost Council
All of our operatives have gone dark, except for you. We have no reason to believe it was the agents of Nxla, there could be another force at play, or maybe our worst fears have come true. We lost contact with Anatole six days ago. His last position was Kingsdale.
Cassiopeia almost hit a tree
It was no mere happenstance that drove the Van almost of the trail and into a great big tree. The shadows of the past had reared its ugly head. Three figures clad in dark forboding armor had apeared out of nowhere. It was all Cassiopia could do to avoid them and even then she was pretty sure she clipped them good. A smooth slick voice washed over her mind, “Cassi, my dance card is wide open…”
Xander to Luke
After the explosions…. Zander chimes, ”Luke, interesting…. The bio organic sample has ceased moving. It would seem depriving it of organic material renders it inert.”
So what do you do next? Maybe a bit of RP, welcome Stoic’s character perhaps? Let me know if you are approaching the domes or wreck. You need to make a choice! Both are about 1/2 a mile away. More or less in the same direction just separated by rocks and about 50”.
Attachments
C599DB26-9C0B-42AD-B0F9-C28F6E743875.jpeg
C599DB26-9C0B-42AD-B0F9-C28F6E743875.jpeg (15.64 KiB) Viewed 836 times
55D93DC5-9300-425A-94A4-CA71C0729F33.jpeg
55D93DC5-9300-425A-94A4-CA71C0729F33.jpeg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 836 times
5682DA40-3BD7-4505-BAB7-9D5BA3E63377.png
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Antipas wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:39 pm
Luke wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:15 pm At this Luke laughs again. "You are a much better space pilot ...
... but we trust your skills none the less.
"
Antipas actually gives a genuine laugh at the suggestion that Cass can fly. Memories of their training and her almost killing them both flashed before his minds eye. "You have obviously never flown with her,
Atlantean for brother
."
He pauses a second for bumps and branches. "It's much like this but at several hundred klicks a second and the trees are asteroids. So a lot more terrifying actually."
”It was ONE asteroid and the proximity sensors were offline!” Cass mutters indignantly. The friendly banter and Luke’s laughter does a lot to bolster her spirit, though. She’s smiling when she climbs into the driver’s seat.

”Buckle up, ladies and gentleman. It’s going to be a bumpy ride!”
Big Joe wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:22 pm"Careful lass, you do not have to prove anything to us, we believed you when you said you do not have much driving experience." He jibes at her before offering. "Why don't we pull over and let me drive the next leg. I prefer flying things, or boats. This thing looks like it is nothing more than a boat on land, so I will do great.."

"By the way. Anyone here feel like someone is watching us? Not like the creepy guy with the tree watches us. But more like someone who is hiding the fact that he stares at ya?"
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:13 pmThe shadows of the past had reared its ugly head. Three figures clad in dark foreboding armor had appeared out of nowhere. It was all Cassiopia could do to avoid them and even then she was pretty sure she clipped them good. A smooth slick voice washed over her mind, “Cassi, my dance card is wide open…”[/b]
The color had drained from the Atlantean’s face and a fresh wave of anxiety washed over her. Cass checked her mirrors and twisted in her seat to see behind the van, searching for the dark figures. When Big Joe talks about creepy guys in the trees, she takes comfort in knowing it wasn’t all in her imagination. ’How did they find me here? How did HE find me here?’

Swallowing hard against the ration bar she’d eaten for breakfast that threatened to come back up, Cass croaked out a response. ”Yeah. Yeah I think you should take a turn. I’ll look for a place to stop in a couple kilometers.”

Later, while she takes her turn riding while Big Joe drives, Cass pulls the radio out of her bag and tries to determine how it works. She's never seen one like this before. After removing the cover, and studying it as well as she can in the bumping van, she finally admits defeat and puts it back together.
Radio Science 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3 , Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0


Cass is behind the wheel again when the domes and chopper come into view. She brakes, listening to the radio chaos that erupts through everyone's communication units and winces as the VW's tires thump into a rut with an ominous crunch. Even if there wasn't some sort of CS situation ahead, that crunch would mean an unplanned stop for repairs.
Pender Lumkiss wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:13 pmSuddenly the pilot came back on screaming, “What the…. Prosek’s B’lls! Get off get off! Argghh” The pilot stopped screaming but the chanel was left open letting the heroes hear the screams of the passengers as the helicopter banked directly into the rock outcropping exploding in a massive fireball. The radio went quiet. Eight more explosions lit up the forest floor. Two were quite close to the van.
”Ti sto diáolo?!” Cass swears in Atlantean. She knows what that sound is even through a panicked radio signal!

”Skelebots!” Exploding?” She calls out to those in the van.

Then the eerie silence drops over the scene and all she can hear is her own breathing. She tries to hold her breath, searching with all her senses for what is out in the darkness. Her eyes are drawn to the domes.

”Guys… There’s something moving in that dome.” She points with one hand while unbuckling her restraints and sliding her rifle up from where it was stowed beside her seat.

Dice
Skelly Notice Check 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Dome Notice 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2

Curiosity Hinderance +1 Benny
Last edited by Cassiopeia on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »



Mercer

SURVIVAL 1d6!!: [5] = 5
WD 1d6!!: [2] = 2

NOTICE 1d8!!+2: [2]+2 = 4 at -2
WD 1d6!!: [3] = 3
So not see the something.

Survival check towards eating and drinking. Cool the dear that got hit. Father food and water.

Notice at -2 Something is moving in the dome to the left. Even from half a mile out you can make out at least a shadow of movement.


“Mercer, is that you? Frak, I should shoot you dead. But…. You saved my kid. Were even now. Watch your back Mercer, those egg heads found a bunch of things at the leyline, quarantined them. Something happened, one, maybe more got loose. A group of humters passed by a bit ago, I am going to hook up with them and make my way back to El Dorado. Frak I told those poor saps not bring one on board. Next time you are dead Mercer. Zero 1-9ner out.”











As the group travels Jesse James Mercer uses a bit of his training to gather clean water and cook some of the local deer that are in the area. Water and meat. Maybe not gourmet meals but not too bad either. Mercer offers the provisions to the others if they are interested.

Later as the group roll closer to the Ley Line Mercer uses his binoculars to look at the domes. He doesn’t notice anything other than the domes and is distracted as his radio crackles and a voice comes across his comms.

“Mercer, is that you? Frak, I should shoot you dead. But…. You saved my kid. Were even now. Watch your back Mercer, those egg heads found a bunch of things at the leyline, quarantined them. Something happened, one, maybe more got loose. A group of hunter's passed by a bit ago, I am going to hook up with them and make my way back to El Dorado. Frak I told those poor saps not bring one on board. Next time you are dead Mercer. Zero 1-9ner out.”

The exiled CS Major has no idea who the pilot Zero 1-9ner is. He had a long career in the CS and over the years has seen many sons and daughters die and saved a few along the way. Frowning Mercer chalks it up to good luck and is about to ask Ophelia what the plan is.

Then…

Mercer hears, ”Yes Sir! Zero 1-9ner this is Helo Flight Tango Alpha Charlie heading to Echo base are you sure you do not want a ride?”

Followed by …

“What the…. Prosek’s B’lls! Get off get off! Argghh”

Shifting his binoculars Mercer sees the helicopter banked directly into the rock outcropping exploding in a massive fireball.

Mercer squeezed his eyes closed. He thought he had stopped caring. The CS had betrayed him. Exiled him. Left him to die. But. Not these soldiers. Whoever Zero 1-9nr was the pilot had opted to not fire on him too.

Mercer swore aloud. A lot. Madly. And then a little more. Colorful horrible words spat out in self disgust.

Rocketing the jet pack up and out towards the burning helicopter Mercer sped towards it. If there were survivors he would do his best to help them.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Tasura
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:46 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Tasura »

. Notice 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wild 1d6!-2: [3]-2 = 1
.

"Something is stirring up trouble. I remember the hunters spoke about places called Whykin and Merctown." Tasura informs the crew, "There seems to be more trouble below. Should we investigate? We may be able to prevent something worse from happening to the local settlements."
4/3 Bennies. Ill gussy this up later.
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Notice Boom 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Wild Notice 1d6!!: [1] = 1

Notice Dome 1d8!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Wild Notice 1d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Opehlia considers the telepathic missive for a moment. Noted. We are heading towards Kingsdale, albeit slightly circuitously. We should be there in the next few days; I'll see if I can investigate Anatole's disappearance, specifically,while there. It may give us a larger insight. She includes a fuller description of what she found at Castle Refuge, for good measure--if nothing else, they'll at least understand why any agents they had in the Tomorrow Legion have gone dark all at once.

This, plus the bouncing around in the back of the vehicle, leaves Ophelia a bit distracted as they come over the rise and see the events. Sure, she spots the big domes and the explosions, but the details of the situation are lost to her, until her companions fill in some of the blanks. This, in turn, makes her a bit slow to react, and by the time she does, Mercer has already launched himself skyward. She can't help but crinkle her mouth into a gentle smile.

"Right, well, seems we're on a rescue mission, now, everyone. Let us back up Mister Mercer's play, here, shall we? If someone can haul my duffel without unduly hindering yourself, I would be grateful, but if not, then I'll leave it here, and hope there are no car thieves around." And with that, she ghosts out of the car and begins heading down the hill in the direction taken by Mercer.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Survival for food that's not penguin jerky and water for my tree baby
Survival d6!!: [3] = 3 Su Wild d6!!: [4] = 4
Explosions
Explosion Notice d6!!: [5] = 5
Explosion Wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Dome
Dome Notice d6!!: [4] = 4
Dome Wild d6!!: [5] = 5
On his forays to check their heading the slayer notices the soil in his trees carry pouch is dry again so he forages a bit. He also keeps his eyes open for edible plants and such. In the months the trio from the three galaxies had spent with the <unpronounceable gibberish> tribe down in Antarctica there were few options for food besides penguin, seal, and occasionally fish so any kind of not animal food was actually a treat. He didn't find much however, just enough to keep himself fed for the day and his tree watered.

As they approach and all hell breaks loose Antipas is equal parts annoyed at the Coalitions presence and involvement in making things worse and amused at it's inevitable outcome. But then the grizzled human went flying off like a damn fool and Ophelia actually supported saving the flight crew.
Ophelia Monk wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:55 pm
"Right, well, seems we're on a rescue mission, now, everyone. Let us back up Mister Mercer's play, here, shall we? If someone can haul my duffel without unduly hindering yourself, I would be grateful, but if not, then I'll leave it here, and hope there are no car thieves around." And with that, she ghosts out of the car and begins heading down the hill in the direction taken by Mercer.
What the fuck?! "Are you fucking serious, we save them so they can report our location and composition back to their superiors? Meanwhile what the fuck ever is in that dome gets free and runs amuck. You go ahead and save assholes who deserve to burn, I'll go stop the actual problem." He rants into his radio as he stalks towards the domes. He really didn't want to go all insubordinate already but it was clear to him what was the greater concern.

As he passes the stranger ( @Stoic ) in TW armor he looks the fellow over and asks "How about you, save shit-heels or stop an experiment gone wrong?"
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

As everyone exits the VW bus, Luke stands with his back towards the vehicle and faces towards the domes and the helicopter crash.

"I don't suppose there is a chance ...
... of salvaging parts from the wreckage.
"
Ophelia Monk wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:55 pm "Right, well, seems we're on a rescue mission, now, everyone. Let us back up Mister Mercer's play, here, shall we? If someone can haul my duffel without unduly hindering yourself, I would be grateful, but if not, then I'll leave it here, and hope there are no car thieves around." And with that, she ghosts out of the car and begins heading down the hill in the direction taken by Mercer.
After everyone has exited and Ophelia makes her request for her bag to be carried, an appendage appears near Luke's back and snakes its way into the van and takes @Ophelia Monk's duffel. As the bag clears the van, luke raises his left hand and presses his thumb and index finger together. *BEEP. BEEP* The headlights flash twice, the windows roll up, and the doors lock.
Mercer wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:53 am Mercer swore aloud. A lot. Madly. And then a little more. Colorful horrible words spat out in self disgust.

Rocketing the jet pack up and out towards the burning helicopter Mercer sped towards it. If there were survivors he would do his best to help them.
Antipas wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:28 pm What the fuck?! "Are you fucking serious, we save them so they can report our location and composition back to their superiors? Meanwhile what the fuck ever is in that dome gets free and runs amuck. You go ahead and save assholes who deserve to burn, I'll go stop the actual problem." He rants into his radio as he stalks towards the domes. He really didn't want to go all insubordinate already but it was clear to him what was the greater concern.
"Antipas is correct ...
... we are all wanted by the CS.
"

"We go towards the crash ...
... we give away our location.
"

"Refuge and the Legion ...
... aren't able to support or rescue us.
"

Luke begins walking towards the domes. Xander begins morphing and no one really needs a closer inspection as they hear the clanking of metal on metal. Xander has armored up. Luke flexes in the suit and everyone can see his arms, followed by extra arms flexing, a tail poised over top like a scorpion, and several pairs of large mechanical spider legs.

Touching his head, the helmet peels away and
Detect Arcana/Presence Sense 3 Standard Focus 1d6!!: [9!!] = 9 Focus Wild 1d6!!!: [1] = 1
then touches his eyes with the batman mask made with his fingers and a
Boost Trait (Notice) Weird Science 1d12!!: [9] = 9 Weird Science Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
extend from his circled fingers.
Notice d4 (d8); Scene Mod -2; Hearing +2 Notice 1d8!!-2: [7]-2 = 5 Notice Wild 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2 Notice (Hearing) 1d8!!+2: [6]+2 = 8 Notice (Hearing) Wild 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
.

"We cerrtainly show signs ...
... of life under those domes.
"
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Notice 1d8!! or 1d6!! +4 to highest: [1]+[9!!] = 10
9 +4 notice and +2 danger sense = 15


Seeing the Skelebots get ready to explode was not all that distracting for Joe. But watching whatever was happening had his attention on overdrive. "Oh man, this looks like it could be a fun fight. We ought to run in there and save those soldiers." He says, while not waiting for an answer and heading in. With a moment of thought his body shifts phasing out of sync with the time around him.


Innate Speed, Exalted, Quickness, Hurry, Shroud 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [2]+[3] = 5

Benny Innate Speed, Exalted, Quickness, Hurry, Shroud 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[8!!] = 11
He takes off running with the speed of a juicer as his body moves out of sync with the world around him and becomes difficult to see.

Trying to stay away from the Skeelbots Joe further enhances himself wrapping himself in a field of superhuman reflexes allowing him to leap out of the way from any explosions.

Warrior's Gift, Dodge, +2 from Major Psionic extra ISP 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [5]+[3] = 8

Greater Boost Trait Agility 1d10!! or Wild 1d6!!: [8]+[3] = 11


When humans where in need Joe saw no other choice than to help them. The fact that it looks like something fun to fight might be coming only made it more interesting.
User avatar
Ophelia Monk
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:21 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Ophelia Monk »

OOC Comments
Mindlink (1 ISP, Telepathic Switchboard +5)
Psionics 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild Psionics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Success, Range of 1 mile once established.
ISP: 24/30
Ophelia is not surprised to see some of the group peel off to check out the domes. We're far too freshly acquainted to be unified in purpose right now. "Gentlemen, just a moment, please, since you've obviously got your own agenda." She sends out tendrils of psychic energy to the entire group. There. We can all communicate with one another, now. This link only sends the information you want to send. Stay in touch, but maintain radio silence, please.
Ophelia Monk
Novice Psi-Ghost Mind Melter
OOC Comments
Agility d6, Smarts d8, Spirit d6, Strength d4, Vigor d6
Pace: 5/d6-1; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11 (4 EBA); Strain: 0
Skills:
Athletics d6; Stealth d6; Notice d8
Battle d8; Common Knowledge d8
Performance d6; Persuasion d6; Intimidation d6
Psionics d10 (Free Re-roll, Opposed +2); Fighting d6; Shooting d6
Edges: Mentalist, Channeling, Concentration; Master Psionics
Hindrances: Elderly; Obligation (Psi-Ghost clan); Poverty; Quirk; Minor Mutant; Major Vow; Major Wanted/Enemy (CS & True Federation)
ISP: 30
Powers: Ghosting, Expanded Awareness, Alter Aura, Thousand Faces, Phatasmagoria, Psychic Touch, Psychic Intrusion, Psychic Theft, Psychic Dominion, Psychometry, Enervation, Adrenal Surge; Bound Sleep
Gear:
Plastic Man Light EBA (+4A/+1T)
Wilk’s 320 “Classic” Laser Pistol (15/30/60, 3d6 AP 2, 20 Shots; +1 Shooting)
NGR Brand Vibro Shortsword (Str+d8 MD; Common Knowledge roll to prevent Tech Difficulty)
Communicator, Binoculors
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke reaches back with one of Xander's arms and grabs the encased non-responsive slime. tucking the encased sludge under an arm, he throws @Ophelia Monk's pack to @Big Joe and says, "Carry that."

When he glances at Ophelia, he realizes that she is concentrating on something,
Ophelia Monk wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:17 am
OOC Comments
Mindlink (1 ISP, Telepathic Switchboard +5)
Psionics 1d10!!: [3] = 3
Wild Psionics 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Success, Range of 1 mile once established.
ISP: 24/30
Ophelia is not surprised to see some of the group peel off to check out the domes. We're far too freshly acquainted to be unified in purpose right now. "Gentlemen, just a moment, please, since you've obviously got your own agenda." She sends out tendrils of psychic energy to the entire group. There. We can all communicate with one another, now. This link only sends the information you want to send. Stay in touch, but maintain radio silence, please.
Luke's best guess is she is trying to mindlink everyone. He rubs his head and pats his tummy in Ophelia's direction, smiles and runs to catch up with Antipas. As he passes @Cassiopeia, he looks at her quizically.
Cassiopeia wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:35 amLater, while she takes her turn riding while Big Joe drives, Cass pulls the radio out of her bag and tries to determine how it works. She's never seen one like this before. After removing the cover, and studying it as well as she can in the bumping van, she finally admits defeat and puts it back together.
Radio Science 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3 , Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
In Atlantean, he says over his shoulder as he goes to support @Antipas, "Remember Love, You and primitive tech don't always get along. Let me have a look at it."

One of his arms gently encircles Cass's waist and sets her on the spider abdomen right behind Luke's torso. The Luke/Xander monstrosity moves lightly and quickly over the uneven terrain.

Luke trys to continue his conversation with Cass, while on the run, in Atlantean, "You look like you have seen a ghost or two."

Luke thinks to himself as he sees @Mercer, Big Joe, and Ophelia head off towards the CS helicoptor, "There isn't much difference ...
... between Splugies and the CS.
"

"Just the size and shape ...
... of the flesh housing the supremist hatred and hoarding power.
"
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Cassiopeia
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Cassiopeia »

Earlier - During the ride:
Luke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:36 am
Cassiopeia wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:35 amLater, while she takes her turn riding while Big Joe drives, Cass pulls the radio out of her bag and tries to determine how it works. She's never seen one like this before. After removing the cover, and studying it as well as she can in the bumping van, she finally admits defeat and puts it back together.
Radio Science 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3 , Wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
In Atlantean, he says over her shoulder ... "Remember Love, You and primitive tech don't always get along. Let me have a look at it."
She chuckles half heartedly as she passes it over the seat to him. She replies to him in Atlantean, ”I’m sure it is 3G science. I should be able to understand how the creator put it together. I’m just… I’m not able to focus as I would like at this moment.”

She fingers the necklace box in her bag while she watches Luke examine the radio. She mulls over the ominous message and thinks, ’Could the starfire necklace be what the man from the last transmission referred to as “Glitter.” Was he a member of the 13th or had he taken it from one of those heroes?’

---
At the domes:
Antipas wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:28 pm"... You go ahead and save assholes who deserve to burn, I'll go stop the actual problem." He rants into his radio as he stalks towards the domes.
Rifle already on her shoulder, Cass is slipping into the undergrowth while Antipas radios his intentions. She never intended to follow Mercer to save CS soldiers and smiles with relief when her cousin clarifies the situation for the rest of the party. Once clear of the VW’s headlights, she starts making her way toward the dome, her path parallelling Antipas’s. She sends a polite mental thank you to Ophelia when the psychic link is established.
Luke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:36 amOne of his arms gently encircles Cass's waist and sets her on the spider abdomen right behind Luke's torso. The Luke/Xander monstrosity moves lightly and quickly over the uneven terrain.

Luke tries to continue his conversation with Cass, while on the run, in Atlantean, "You look like you have seen a ghost or two."
Xander’s transformation doesn’t phase her. Nor does Luke’s decision to follow Pas instead of Mercer. She settles herself on the armored carapace, finding a secure position where she can ride comfortably and shoot if needed.

”Heard them is more like. I found a starfire necklace with that radio. I have it on me as it is a great treasure in the fight against the undead. But that last message from the radio leads me to believe that someone is out there looking for it, willing to kill for it. Is he the rightful owner, a hero of the 13th SET or another lucky scavenger like me? Am I bringing trouble to us all by carrying it with me?” Cass replies to his question with a rush of information, like her thoughts were all tangled up in a churning flood, waiting for the dam to break.

Before he can respond, she continues, ”And then, on the road, when I almost hit the tree, I swear I saw Sunaj assassins. And then I heard what I believe was a psychic message from that bastard Stillmyst. They are still hunting me, even after ten years in stasis and half a universe away from the three galaxies. I do not want to bring the Sunaj to the people of earth and these people who travel with us.”

Cass pulls her gun around from where it was slung on over her shoulder and checks the clips. She knows it is already loaded and ready, but it gives her something to do with her hands. She is thankful she is riding behind Luke’s torso so she doesn’t have to look him in the eye while she spills her greatest anxiety.

”I am sworn to protect the innocent. How can I protect people when I am the one who brings danger to them?”
Cass__
Cassiopeia Stormforge, True Atlantean Intel Operative

Pace: 6"; Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (5)

Bennies 4/3 PPE 22/22

Edit Signature
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Notice to catch bag 1d8!!+4 or Wild 1d6!!+4: [1]+4+[8!!]+4 = 17


Joe snatches the bag out of the air replying through the link formed by the mind mage. Sure, cannot promise when I will come back.
But when I do, I will have the bag.
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


Mercer rockets towards the crashed helicopter.

Listening to the others on the radio he growls. Then remembers. They are not human. They are Demi-gods, Atlanteans, powerful dimensional beings. Not Human. Why would they care?

🔊 Over the radio: ”You heroes go do what you do. I’m no hero. I’m going to try saving any lives that might be saved. D-Bee, human or otherwise. All life matters. I understand you don’t care. Why would you. You live long blessed lives and have super powers. You are not subject to a short and precious life. Even if they are only Coalition lives that need saving, I’ll try saving them because life matters. These fuckers exiled me, hunt me, hate me, and still matter to me, just as much as you all do. CS, Legion, or other. Life matters to those of us that are not heroic gods with super long lives. I’ll catch up with you later.” 🔈

The half mile passes fast as the jet pack races over treetops and Mercer lands next to the burning crashed CS helicopter.

Some sort of crushed creature lays dead under the burning helicopter. A CS Locust ‘copter by the looks of the wreckage. Flames ripple outward and the deafening sounds of screams cry out from the crash site.

Clicking off the jet pack Mercer drops to the ground and runs into the burning helicopter. His EBA armor feeds him oxygen and cools his body as he pushes burning metal off the cargo door and enhanced servos assist his strength as he peels back the door.

Flames burst out, blinding him momentarily. Climbing into the wreckage the former Major craws past the dead into the pilot cabin. Flames dance across his armor as he searches for any survivors. Only one soul stirs. The pilot. Mercer leans into the flames rippling in waves around the pilot. Unlike Mercer, the pilot is not wearing a helmet. Skin blisters. Hair burns. The man looks at Mercer with an open mouth unable to breathe. Already the heat and flames have ruined him, even if the man doesn’t know he’s dead.

Mercer stands up, pulls his blaster out and shoots the pilot dead. Ending his misery.

Pushing his way out of the crashed helicopter Mercer stumbles away from the wreckage and drops to his knees shaking.

Moments later he stiffens and shakes his head. Standing on wobbly legs he coughs and takes a deep breath.

Reaching to click on his radio he remembers Ophelia saying… mind link. As a minor Psionics he embraces the link and “transmits” to the entire group:

“You’ll be happy to know, or quite possibly not give a shit, there are no survivors at the crash site. So I’ll be headed towards you to investigate the domes with you … team.”
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Mercer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:21 pm
“You’ll be happy to know, or quite possibly not give a shit, there are no survivors at the crash site. So I’ll be headed towards you to investigate the domes with you … team.”

"Major, just because they appear dead doesn't mean they are dead. If the sample sludge is any indication, as it was heading this direction when we acquired it, it could be a matter of minutes before you are staring down some converted CS soldiers to bio-borg zombies."

"As long as there is nothing organic to feed on, the bio-sludge will eventually slow down."

[
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Joe starts to slow down a little when he realizes the men are no longer in danger or more accuratly the men are already dead. But when Luke mentions the potential for zombies to fight he feels his energy return. The only the the little man liked as much as saving people, was fighting monsters. No problem, just let us get eyes on these guys, then I will be one of the first of us to the dome.
User avatar
Antipas
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Antipas »

Luke wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:56 pm
Mercer wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:21 pm
“You’ll be happy to know, or quite possibly not give a shit, there are no survivors at the crash site. So I’ll be headed towards you to investigate the domes with you … team.”

"Major, just because they appear dead doesn't mean they are dead. If the sample sludge is any indication, as it was heading this direction when we acquired it, it could be a matter of minutes before you are staring down some converted CS soldiers to bio-borg zombies."

"As long as there is nothing organic to feed on, the bio-sludge will eventually slow down."
Running through the woods is a lot less difficult with a huge sentient powered suit clearing the path, It's all Antipas can do for a moment or two to keep up Luke and Cassiopeia.
If the bodies reanimate and there's silver sludge then you should use telekinetics or electrical attacks. If other foes appear give me intel and I'll probably know how to kill it.

@Mercer You think you know a lot about us then? Was this all deduced on the car ride or maybe learned in some manual? Either way it's lightyears the fuck off base. We care about life. I care about the victims of those pilots and their potential future victims enough to put rabid dogs down, as regretful as their condition may be. But even more than them I care about her.

Angel Komnenos.jpg
Angel Komnenos.jpg (8.61 KiB) Viewed 492 times

My daughter Angel. She's out here somewhere with a Glitterboy pilot, so not having more CS called in will do wonders for her odds of not dying in a crossfire or getting carted off to some CS research camp.
Antipas
Antipas, True Atlantean Undead Slayer
Pace: 6 Parry:7 Toughness: 26
Wounds: 0/3 Fatigue 0/3
PPE: 15/24
Constant Effects:
Powers on:
Combat Edges:
Bennies: 2/4
Characters Imperator (main acc), Action Stan, Antipas
User avatar
Mercer
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Mercer »


“It only took one action on your part for me to see who you are. At least who you present as. I find it interesting that you are so sc… that the CS is such a imposing monster to you.

Look we are not going to agree on everything. Whatever. Hopefully we are both the good guys in this story because it just feels like a bunch of bigotry hidden under the guise of We Are Legion. I’m referring to us both Antipas. I imagine we might have some interesting conversations in the future. Lets table it shall we?

I understand the father thing. My son was missing in action in Tolkeen until he was declared dead in Tolkeen. No parent should have to outlive their child. So let’s find yours shall we?”


With all the talk of zombies and the undead by the others Mercer gets goosebumps and turns in a slow circle with his CP-50 Dragonfire rifle at the ready as he looks for trouble.

Because if there is one thing he has learned in his decades of warfare it’s knowing when trouble is about to strike.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Big Joe
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:39 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Big Joe »

Antipas wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:30 pm @Mercer You think you know a lot about us then? Was this all deduced on the car ride or maybe learned in some manual? Either way it's lightyears the fuck off base. We care about life. I care about the victims of those pilots and their potential future victims enough to put rabid dogs down, as regretful as their condition may be. But even more than them I care about her.

Angel Komnenos.jpg

My daughter Angel. She's out here somewhere with a Glitterboy pilot, so not having more CS called in will do wonders for her odds of not dying in a crossfire or getting carted off to some CS research camp.
Getting the image of the girl from Pas Joe laughed a little inside. How did you trick a woman into spending enough time with you to make a child? I imagine there must have been a lot of alcohol.

Come to think of it that kid is pretty cute, are you sure she is yours. I figure your kids would have red skin and horns.
User avatar
Luke
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:06 am

Re: Eclipse, Chapter 1, part 1.

Post by Luke »

Luke cruised past @Antipas with @Cassiopeia sitting elegantly but menacingly on Xander's abdomen. He stopped briefly turned and said in Atlantean, "Brother, is riding into battle not dignified or is it the mount that is not dignified."

"Come let us be quick about it."
Luke _
Luke
Pace: d4 [d8]; Parry: 5 Toughness: 6 (0) [18 (3)]
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • List of Abilities
  • Elan & Brave
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2 ; ISP/PPE: N/A
Bennies: 4 / 4
Adventure Cards:
  • [2] Peace:
    Your hero is able to improve the attitude of a group in an encounter, perhaps by recognizing someone in the crowd, showing respect, or offering a bribe. It doesn’t work on true enemies—only “neutrals” who happen to cross paths with your party.
  • [25] Hidden Stash:
    Your hero scrounges up a generic type of item of your choosing, such as food and water, shelter, a box of ammo, enough money for a room, etc.
Luke
Edit Signature
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”