1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post Reply
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »


BC ||
BC ||
13FA58B2-4845-452F-B26B-92753B1C5C7A.jpeg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 2117 times

Savage Rifts
The Black Company ||
Attack on Newport



THE TENACIOUS TEN <<edit 7>>

Note if you have not written yourself into the RP post and interacted with the group there, you can write yourself in now.

The day grew into night as the various individuals sitting and waiting in the bar, coined Moderation, speculated on why they had been sought out to join an organization being called the Black Company. A few knew each other from their pasts. Some of the assembled were unknown. It was obvious they all had something to add to the yet unknown mission.

The Cyber Knight who went by Sir Redheart had paid for their time. His promise of more money and his need for individuals who could help the Tomorrow Legion laid on the table. The Knight hadn’t explained what exactly he wanted and in some cases not everyone assembled knew what the Legion was.

NEWPORT (The town you are in)

Newport was a moderate sized town. Built on the remains of a pre-rifts town in Arkansas. Somewhere around a thousand souls lived in the area. Farmers and fishermen mostly. A river snaked its way up from the Gulf of Mexico, adjacent Newport and further northwest to Castle Refuge and even further northeast deeper inland.

Newport had struggled for hundreds of years during the dark age after the coming of the Rifts. When the Tomorrow Legion build and set up base at Castle Refuge, Newport suddenly thrived.

Karl Cole, an aging Glitter Boy Power Armor pilot was mayor of Newport. [OOC information, the year in this game is 111 P.A. for anyone keeping track.] Cole had a hand me down suit of power armor (a Glitter Boy) from his ancestors. His job of protecting the town became much easier when the Legion sent him help. However, yesterday the team assigned to his town abruptly up and left. They raced towards their Castle with no goodbye. Cole knew in his bones, something bad was coming.

MODERATION (The bar you’re at)

Mayor and Sheriff
Mayor and Sheriff

Heavy footfalls outside approach. Likely Power Armor walking. Stopping just outside the bar a few minutes later the double doors of the bar pushed open and an older gentleman came in. After looking over the occupants he sighed and made a beeline to the bar.

“Double shot of that new whiskey you got yesterday.”

Looking a bit apprehensive the barkeep Kevin nodded and set out a glass.

Kevin prepared the drink and asked: “You Mayor or Sheriff tonight Karl?”

After the pour the older man pushed his back to the bar looking at a he assembled individuals in the bar.

Taking a sip and he man replied: “Tonight I’m a concerned father Kevin. ‘An I suppose I’m wearing both job hats too. Shits about to hit the fan. Recommend you prepare for a fight. With the Legion all disappeared and up and fleeing town we’re in serious need of help.”

Eyeing you all he takes another drink then sets the unfinished drink down and walks over to where you are all assembled.

Clearing his throat he rests his hand on his two hip holsters with energy blasters striking a power stance.

“Look here you lot. You have behaved yourself in town and I appreciate that mighty. I got no right ask’n you this… but I’m going to. The Legion had a bunch of soldiers here helping me defend the place. ‘Cept yesterday they all up an took off like they’d seen a ghost. Not a one o’them bothered to say a thing to me. They jus’ left. And. Now I… this town’s got a problem something fierce.”

He sighs heavily and pulls a chair over, turns it backwards and sits down with his arms resting on the top of the back of the chair.

“My young teen son likes to escape the town and photograph the wildlife outside. It infuriates me to no end but that’s not the issue right now. An hour ago he brought me images of… creatures approaching the town.”

Cole pulls a set of photos out of his cargo pocket and hands them over.

It plus 30
It plus 30


”He’s learnt. The boy can read an write. He can count. Proud of that, as I never did learn the numbers beyond what I needed to drive old Gladys my families Glitter Boy. Point is. He says there are over thirty of these monstrosities approaching Newport. Says they will be here by tomorrow evening. The boy can ride. He speed across the outside on his hover cycle to tell me. I got a thousand some souls here in town to watch over. I ain’t got thirty shots left in Gladys. I’m down to 20 shots with the boom gun. Then. I’m out. Was promised more by the Legion but haven’t received em yet. I can’t pay you. I can’t give you much more then thanks. I’m asking you to help me. Help us. If them Legion folks return they might be able to give you something. I recon you ought to run away too or join me on the battlefield tomorrow. I got some in town who can fight. I got a cache of weapons under the mayor’s office. All I can think is you could help me get people prepared for fighting and set up defenses. Will you help us?”

Karl stands and looks at you each hopeful you’ll help.




PERSONAL ISSUES (The following Dramatic Task will be affected by these “Personal Issues”)


A Golden Light whispers in your minds eye. A soft warm honey laced voice you haven’t heard in a long while. The voice of the Cosmic Forge speaks to you. Like a lost lover you ache at the end of its brief words.

”The absolute opposite of me is the Black Obelisk. If you desire redemption it must be stopped. This is the beginning of the path.”

Once the honey soft voice is gone your heart hurts.

Seek Redemption! I Rollat a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, I will award you 1 Redemption Point. At 10 Redemption Points you will be awarded a Special Reward from the Cosmic Forge. Once you earn the 10 points, which could take a full in game quarter, I’ll let you know what the Forge grants you.



There will be many souls to guide in this upcoming battle. Roll your two rolls at a -4 each in both posts and narrate why they are at a negative, you can have a (one total) bennie (after the second post). Probably because Newport is a mostly human town and: The innate spooky aura of the Necro, combined with the Supernatural Good aura of the L-S, means that her presence is unsettling to almost anyone (living) with any mystical perception, no matter what their own ethos is; even those among the living without such perceptions will find her combination of morbidity and stern judgement off-putting, in most cases.



What Woukd Michael Bay Do? (WWMBD?)
Wormy is a Zembahk Msytic who follows the tenets of the ancient human hero ascended to godhood, Michael Bay, and so as you listen to the man known as Karl Cole, Wormy is gifted a vision.

Do this in my name.
Seek Salvation! Roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will become one step closer to the Bay. What this means in game context is you will be blessed at the end of the battle with a bennie to alter your fate.




Technical difficulties!!

Who’s watching now?!! Rollat a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you experience some sort of difficulty in relation to your Cyberware. At some point as you are performing your action you swear you heard two voices arguing in the background of your mind. It’s unsettling and distracting but easily forgotten in the chaos of combat.
Unknown to Stan, Archie and Hogan accidentally turned on communication with you, bickered, then turned off the connection.
Dealing with this bizarre issue grants you a bennie at the end of your two posts.



When you are posting your first post some annoying static just won’t stop broadcasting on your armors radio. It’s scratchy annoying static cannot be turned off no matter what you do.
When you post your second post, the combat post, you are ensconced in the battle when suddenly your comms starts broadcasting to you …

“I would have thought you would have learned your lesson by now dwarf. Victoria will consume your soul this time.”

After this eerie metallic voice speaks your comms just stop working until you do a Repair roll at a -6. Fixed? Great carry on. Failed the roll? No comms for the next two days. The whole thing is quite distracting.

Remain Strong! If you roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will have earned a bennie.





Resist Temptation! Roll at a -4 in both posts you’ll earn a bennie.

With this hardship you’ll be dealing with several young men and woman of the town who are scared witless and try to convince you to run away with them. Abandon hope, flee, they are very convincing.

Roll a test of wills vs these frightened youth. You are at a +2 for this roll because Humble wouldn’t want to leave Hans. The frightened are at a 8 on their roll. (Success with a raise).

Test of wills. If you succeed then you are at -4 for the scene due to the distraction. As stated above. If you fail. You have a level of (metal) fatigue. This cannot be healed. Lasts for 24 hours. Then still roll at -4 because you aren’t leaving Hans behind.




It might be your time in the arena. Or the lack of combat for the last few months. Either way you are feeling particularly bloodthirsty, vengeful, and arrogant. In each post you are battling inner demons. You are inclined to misbehave. You desire to be over the top bloodthirsty, vengeful, and arrogant. This doesn’t mean you succumb to the feelings, but it is distracting and tempting.

Battle Inner Demons! Roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will earn a bennie.




Displacement. Discontent.
Arriving at your destination in Newport and thrust into battle.

Fate sucks. Sometimes a dead battery is just a dead battery. Sometimes a dead battery is fate Phuking with you. The civilians you are trying to help in the first post are useless. The battle would have gone well in the second post if it weren’t for the insanely stupid civilian population you are trying to help.

Bent over by fate! Roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will earn a bennie.




Suspicious parties.

As you set off to help prepare the town for battle readiness you uncover a crime perpetrated by a local of Newport. Violent fight? Murder? Attempted kidnapping? Something. Looking into it doesn’t take too much time but is a distraction.

Suspicion! If you roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will earn a bennie.





Two Dragons.

Dragon Visions! Roll at a -4 in both posts, regardless of the outcome, you will earn a bennie.

As you set off to help the town of Newport prepare for battle and during the battle you keep seeing illusions of a black dragon and a red dragon fighting. It’s vivid. Distracting. And hard to distinguish from reality. Everything you are doing between Mayor Cole asking for help and the end of post 2 the battle is hard to be 100% into. Superimposed over the actual events is another image of the dragons battling. At the end of post 2 the dragons slam into each other and merge as a blob of writhing flesh. Unsettling.



DRAMATIC TASK

Here’s what’s needed. A Dramatic Task to get the town and townsfolk ready for fighting and defending the town. Your post will explain how you help get the town ready and then the next post your part in the battle.

Dramatic Task
This is a multi-person dramatic task to prepare the town for battle. It’s late evening and you have roughly 20 hours before the thirty something creatures arrive. Having seen the picture of the creatures all you know is they are big and disgusting. 12-16 feet tall and a mix of bone, blood and machine. No roll will enlighten you on them, however, if you previously were a part of the Black Company (Hans/Humble) you can do a Notice Roll.
On a success you notice these look a lot like the creatures once used in Gloom by a person known as Geist, only much bigger. Far as you know Geist is dead.


We need one success per player (10) per round (2). You can choose any skill to roll as long as it makes narrative sense. (These are the two rolls you are doing at a -4 each from your above person issues info.)

We are going to do two rounds for this. Include your actions and rolls for all two rounds in your reply to this post. Dice are great but let’s get some story in those posts too :)

I’ll post an update once all ten Players get their two posts done. If it helps, think of it like this:
  • Post One — Preparation — how you get the town / townsfolk ready.
  • Post Two — The Fight — you have a lot of freedom on describing this. The creatures coming radiant supernatural evil and are powerful things. Each looks a bit different from the other. They are tough: 25 (10). All the weapons in town that the mayor has are pretty good Mega Damage weapons.
Post two times doing your rolls in each separate post. Separate Posts please.

You can post in any order you wish I just ask that you do two separate posts each.

1) Each Token represents an advantage added to the town defenses or getting town folk armed and ready. Each missed Token is a failure to get ready or do anything of use to prepare for battle.
2) Very Dangerous Encounter: Each post … Meaning success grants a level of Fatigue, Failure a Wound, and Critical Failure 1d4 Wounds). Also Successful with any raises prevents the Fatigue. Up all night getting ready and a long day leading to a fight. The monsters are mega damage flesh and metal. They shoot lasers and claw at you with large vibro claws. In a Very Dangerous Encounter you are restricted to a Level Cap with Raises. You can only earn a maximum of two tokens in a round.
3) For each/both posts, include a 1d4 roll. A 4 is a Club (ie complication). If you get a 1 roll again. If you get a second 1 it's a Joker (with a +2 bonus and a benny for all). If you have quick or level headed you can re-roll a Club.


It’s time to defend a town and save the day. Hopefully.


And no, Sir Redheart hasn’t arrived yet. He was supposed to be here in Newport by now but hasn’t shown up yet.

After 20 posts, 2 each, I’ll post the next GM post. Thank you.



EDIT

When I wrote the post we had 10 Players. Now that the dust has settled we have 8 Players. Additionally, one Player needed time to get ready so you only have 7 Characters.

Accordingly I am lowering the Tokens needed.

After the 14 Posts by 7 Players collectively you need 14 Token to “win the day”.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Wormy »

Wormy stares intensely at the mayor when he explains the situation. This would not do, not at all. Those creatures look horrible and the little Zembahk assumes they are up to no good.

During the explanation, Wormy hears a voice say, 'Do this in my name.'

The big hearted little worm already knew he would help the sherrif. Being commanded by the Mighty Bay only cemented his resolve.

When the timing is appropriate, Wormy slithers a mental tendril towards the mayor, 'I will help you. I will spend the night meditating and ask the Mighty One to share His revelations with me. If He wills it, I will learn something to help us. You're not familiar with me, but when you discuss tactics you should know that I can be of assitance. The Mighty and Great One, Michael Bay, has blessed me with his destructive powers. Pick a small number of enemies, or several groups, and I will destroy them. If you don't need my strength, I can also heal the wounded and keep morale high with soothing words.'

Wormy wastes no time. He slithers down from his purch around Humble's neck, giving him an affectionate pat on the back with his tail, and leaves for somewhere private and quiet to settle into a meditative coil.

As his mortal concerns fade away with his slowing heartbeat and stilled mind, Wormy
Suit: 1d4: [2] = 2
Faith (Divination): 5 - One Success and Fatigue.
Faith 1d12!+1: [8]+1 = 9
Wild 1d6!+1: [2]+1 = 3
Spiritual Channel: Vigor 4 - No Fatigue
Vigor 1d6!: [4] = 4
Wild 2 1d6!: [2] = 2
in search of his deity, Michael Bay. As usual, the little Zembahk finds the Mighty One without too much trouble. Wormy is most faithful towards his deity, and the Mighty Bay favors His diligent servant.

Finding the Mighty One took hours which Wormy did not feel. Then he and the Great One discussed many things about the faith. Wormy even received some divine constructive criticism with regards to his effectiveness.

The Mighty One lamented that while all explosions are worthy, they can always be more, and He instructs Wormy to always strive for greatness. In His wisdom, the Mighty one grants that not every problem requires the "big one," but for the solutions which do require it, He expects the biggest of booms. Finally, the Great One shares some flashes of wisdom with Wormy before the Zembahk is forced to return to his body or risk straining himself before the cofnlict.
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Charon »

1 success on... Persuasion?!?
Correction: 1d4: [4] = 4
Maybe Benny? 1d4: [2] = 2

Persuasion 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Wild Persuasion 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5
Holy carp, it worked!

Bad at rules: 1 Fatigue.
After the sheriff/mayor's impassioned plea, it would have been impossible for Charon to even hesitate. "I will help to the best of my abilities, sir. Please, bring representatives of the longest-settled families of the town--those who have been here for multiple generations. I will need to explain my purpose to them, if I am truly to assist in my greatest capacity."

While waiting for the meeting, she gathered her thoughts, and her words. This was never an easy task on first meeting; her only true hope was that they would see the desperate need their town faced.

Finally, all had come in. She immediately sensed the reaction that some invariably had in her mere presence. It was a burden that came with the Duty. She would likely only have one real opportunity at this; if it failed, she would have to resort to less effective means in the battle to come. "Hear me, citizens of Newport. The sheriff-mayor has explained to you the threat. And I'm sure he's told you of the Legion's inability to immediately make good on their promises, at least in the short term." There were murmurs in the crowd. Painting their situation in such grim tones was risky; it threatened to break morale entirely. But it was sometimes necessary to show the stormcloud, to better appreciate the sun.

"But you are not alone. Your ancestors fought long and hard to build this town, and to keep it safe. And they did so not for their own glory, but because they wanted a place where you could stand firm and strong and above all, safe. And, if you will let them, they will fight for your safety yet again." Some in the crowd looked confused; others looked shocked as realization set in; a few of those latter had the beginnings of anger. But others seemed more... open. They saw, here, a glimmer of desperate hope.

"Yes. The power I wield is terrible to contemplate. It is never to be used lightly or frivolously, as the degenerates of the Federation would. I am no slaver of souls. But, I will empower the dead, those willing and, indeed, eager, to come to your aid this one last time, to fend off this terror. Yet I will not do so capriciously. Any of you may choose to refuse my offer, with no threat nor abuse on my part, and I will not appeal to your ancestors in the earth. But for those of you who accept, I will walk among the gravestones, and see who among your line would see not only you survive this peril, but your children and theirs, as well. Will you let me do this thing? I will answer any questions you may have, now."

There were questions, of course--there always were. But questions were better than outright refusals. Not everyone agreed to her deal; one man even declared that the town would be despoiled by accepting her aid. But others were willing to listen, if only to not have to flee the approaching horrors, or fight it themselves, with frail flesh and lungs that still needed to breath, hearts that still needed to beat.

In the end, five of the ten families assembled had agreed to let her 'discuss' the matter with their fathers, grandmothers, great-uncles and all the rest, to see who would be willing to rise. The sheriff-mayor, when he heard of the plan, was also reluctant, but ultimately agreed to arm the risen as best he could--in particular, grenades and other explosives, simple to wield and potentially devastating, even to such horrors as these....
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Hans Greuber »

Card Roll: 1d4: [2] = 2

Repair for the Radio (+2 for Machine Maestro (Radio in TW armor), +2 for Mr. Fixit, +4 due TW armor, -6 for Difficulty... so +2)
  • Repair: 1d12!!+2!!: [11]+2 = 13
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
    Result: 13 - Success plus Raise(s). Radio is fixed.
Assist Roll from Gargamel
  • Athletics: 1d6!!: [3] = 3 - No Bonus
Repair Roll to Craft new Golem Body - Jim (+2 due Mr. Fixit, +4 due TW Armor, -4 due difficulty... so +2)
  • Repair: 1d12!!+2!!: [17!!]+2 = 19
    Wild: 1d6!!+2!!: [5]+2 = 7
    Result: 17 - Success plus 3 Raises. 2Tokens.


Victoria will consume my soul?!? Ha!!! I have again surrounded myself with powerful allies... including one who is skilled in the Dark Arts. I guess I will be staying here, since it seems that most of the others are. This may also be part of an audition by our new employer. We shall see... now time to fix the radio she messed up.

In just an hour, Hans had his armor's radio taken out, repaired, and reinstalled.

Now it was time to see about repairing any old weapons the locals may have hidden in their basements and cellars.

While looking through the old junk that the villagers have brought to Hans to fix, he found an interesting find.

This metal lump is enchanted... and seems like it would work as an Enchanted Heart for a Permanent Golem.

"Now I see that this piece of Iron seems useless for you. It is of great value to me. If you throw in those two small gems over there, I will pay you 100,000 credits on these two credcards. The use of it will also help us defend this town. I will also put repairing that gun over there to the front of the list of my repairs. I will have it ready in about an hour or so."


After the hour, the exchange was made and Hans got his new treasure... an Enchanted Heart to use for a new Golem to carry Wormy around. Mentally interrupting Gargamel from his toils clearing any trees around the city to create a kill zone, he sent the Golem after gathering a supply of clay to be used for his new brethren's body. With that started, Hans got to work fixing as many of the guns and other weapons he was brought, after a quick triage of the damage and an assessment on its damage potential. After Hans fixed a half dozen of the guns, Gargamel brought back the large lump of clay that the two rapidly formed into a humanoid figure, except for the head was hollowed out similar to a bowl. An hour long ceremony later and 'Jim" was animated and ready to serve Wormy.

It seems like what I have heard about Zembahk is true and most care little for credits. Well, I guess I will have to help take care of his finances. Jim here cost me 100,000 credits, and Wormy gave me 50,000. That leaves me with just 600 credits... basically broke. I hope there will be some decent salvage from this battle, though from the sounds of what the boy encountered, that does not seem likely. Maybe our generous possible employer will pay us for this... or maybe we will get lucky and be paid by the Mayor after he sees the results. Well, back to the repairs. We will need every possible weapon we can get our hands on to deal with these monstrosities.

"Hey, Wormy! I have a new friend for you to meet. You can call him
Jim (Golem)
  • Golems are humanoid Automatons with gems for eyes, hearts of iron, and bodies formed from clay. Animated by ancient rituals and guided by runes and inscriptions placed within their body, these constructs are nearly indestructible. They obey only their creator and will follow her last command until they are destroyed.
    • Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d10, Strength d12+4, Vigor d12+2
    • Skills: Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d10, Intimidation d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Shooting d6, Stealth d8
    • Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 30 (12)
    • Hindrances: Loyal, Mute, Vow (Major—Obey creator)
  • Gear: Often none.
    Special Abilities:
    • Almost Indestructible: Golems gain +12 MDC Armor and +4 Toughness from their rune-embedded clay bodies. Even if blown up or chopped to bits, an Incapacitated golem regenerates completely within 2d6+12 hours unless its iron heart is removed from its chest cavity.
    • Bash: Str+d6, AP6, Mega Damage.
      Construct: +2 Toughness; +2 to recover from being Shaken; called shots do no extra damage; doesn’t breathe, immune to Disease, Poison, and Radiation.
    • Fast Regeneration: Golems make a natural healing roll every round.
    • Fear (−2): Golems cause Fear checks
      at −2 when encountered.
    • Fearless: Immune to most Fear effects and Intimidation.
    • Hardy: Does not suffer a Wound from being Shaken twice.
    • Size 3 (Normal): Golems stand 12 feet tall and weigh 2000 pounds.
    • Warded: Golems are created by ancient and powerful magics which make them invulnerable to banish, dispel, and most arcane mind control effects like illusion, puppet, slumber, stun, etc. They gain +4 to rolls to resist other magical effects.
. It may look scary, but it can carry you around the battlefield, and I have even made you a hollow that you can use for cover!! Jim has been ordered to obey your
Anything except attacking Hans himself. Hans can also issue overriding commands.
"
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Ducky »

Roll 1, preparation Battle, total 3
1d8: [2] = 2 1d6: [5] = 5 +2,-4. Total 3. Sene roll 1d4: [1] = 1
Ducky smiled beneath her mask. Earthers… Gag me with a spoon. She had no idea what was on the picture, but frankly if the cosmic forge was calling it could not be good. Karl probably could use some reassurance. She tossed her hair to the side and twirled it with a finger absently, “Like, take a chill pill Karl. We’ll kill this dickweed.”

She cracked her neck easing her muscles in preparation of combat and drew her cosmic blade. It shown brightly in the dim light of the bar. I wonder if these black company folks are as good as the crew of the Sovereign? Momentarily her thoughts drifted back to her life in the space lanes, only to have them interrupted by the forge no less.
The forge speaks in her head.
The absolute opposite of me is the Black Obelisk. If you desire redemption it must be stopped. This is the beginning of the path.
She stumbled in the bar feeling her heart break in twain at the forge’s call. The Black Obelisk? She stood wearily and offered a feeble if ill conceived strategem more suited to a gaggle of Danny esque space pirates than the foe they were about to encounter. “Like, when they attack the bar, save the radio.” Did the bar even have a radio?
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Charon »

Roll 2 Spellcasting Raise, +2 Tokens
Belated
1d4: [2] = 2


Spellcasting 1d12!!-3: [19!!]-3 = 16
Spellcasting 1d6!!-3: [5]-3 = 2

Actually a 15, due to prior fatigue.

Final Status: 4/3 Bennies, -1 Fatigue
The villagers who had agreed to the plan assisted in exhuming their relations who had consented to the deal. In the end, some score of corpses were brought forth from the soil. One came with an unexpected bonus--apparently, the sheriff-mayor's own great-grandfather Jebidiah had been a skilled beast-handler, and had been interred with his mount--a rhino-buffalo (the spirit of the man informed her that the beast's name was Chauncy)!

At Charon's command, the rotting corpses and skeletons rise up, forming into ranks, to be outfitted with the weapons Karl had brought forth from his stash--mostly grenades and vibro-weapons, though all also receive at least a pulse ion or laser rifle. Jebidiah mounts Chauncy as skillfully as the old beast-master had in life, the other undead surrounding him.

Karl takes her aside for a moment, then. "You will put them all back, won't you?"

She nods in affirmation. "Once this conflict is over, yes, they will be re-interred to the best of my ability. They will certainly have earned their rest." Her assurances give him some comfort despite is obviously continued unease with the situation.

Another corpse of note, belonging to a ne'er-do-well sneak-thief in life named Caldwell, who still loved his family enough to come back, is deployed by Charon as a scout, through whose dead eyes she is able to see. She shudders a bit as the first of the monstrosities is spotted by the advance scout. The pictures hardly do these fiends justice.

One advantage of using the Undead as your shock-troops; they suffer no fear. Whereas some of the villagers break ranks when confronted with the terrifying visages of their foes, the Grim Squad (as some wag in the town dubbed them) are unflappable and implacable. They move as instructed, firing off their long-range weapons, then, when the creatures are in range, hurling their grenades. One is deployed as a literal suicide bomber--Charon isn't sure where the sheriff-mayor found a fusion cube of that size, but it is put to good use, detonating within a cluster of the creatures.

Charon herself is no shrinking violet during the battle. She judiciously lays down blessings on her allies, and curses upon her enemies. She also siphons power from their foes, the better to maintain her own reserves, as well as disrupt any spells they might be able to cast. If nothing else, there is always the ambient energy to be had upon their destruction. (She is, of course, always careful NOT to draw upon the souls of allies who have fallen in battle; that is a purpose only suitable to enemies as monstrous as these.)

The stars of her effort, though, are Jebidiah and Chauncy, often knocking the demonic constructs (for so she suspects them of being) over with a single, devastating charge, plowing them down like ninepins.
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Hans Greuber »

Scene Roll: 1d4: [4] = 4 - CLUB. -2 to Rolls
  • 1d4: [3] = 3
Ignore
Gargamel
  • Fighting: 1d10!! = 1 - No Help
Hans
  • TW (d12, -4 due Difficulty)
    • TW: 1d12!!-4!! = 0 - 2 = -2
      Wild: 1d6!!-4!! = 7 - 2 = 5
      Result: 5 - Success. 1 Token and 1 Fatigue. Add in a Complication due Club.


"Bullocks!!!"

After working flawlessly the day before with his repairs, a misstep on his way to the wall dumped all of his power cells and connectors for his Gadgets all over the place. Seeing Humble over near the wall, Hans motions him over and touches the nanite bracelet he gave the not-Ogre.

"I need to recover these little connectors and power cells... no, please don't try to help pick them up. I just put more magical energy into that bracelet I gave you. You can use it to accelerate your movements during battle, but only for a total of 6 bursts of a half minute each. Make the most of them. Now I have to pick up these components and clean them off before they get corroded and useless... I won't be of much use until I have. I put all of my magical energy into that bracelet. Use all of the energy today. I will put a bit in tomorrow."

I hope that stupid camera drone didn't catch my tumble. If it did, I will have to play around with the footage to make that footage useless.
Last edited by Hans Greuber on Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Action Stan »

Scene roll d4: [3] = 3
Driving for task roll one 11, two tokens
Modifiers: scene -4, Vehicle interface +2, Ace ignore up to -2 in penalties. Net 0
Driving d6!!: [2] = 2
Wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny to reroll
Driving 2 d6!!: [4] = 4
Wild 2 d6!!: [11!!] = 11
As much as he wants to personally film his new compatriots in their preparations for a nice montage, Stan reluctantly leaves that to Clips with occasional radio updates from and instructions to the little drone while he drives a backhoe to help tear down and move trees. The process doesn't go with out it's miscues. Like Clips recording an hour and a half of Wormy meditating, completely missing the spectacle of Charon's trip through the graveyard and recruitment of the willing dead.

"Great, so now we'll have this army of the dead show up with only the speech for backstory. At least go shoot the empty graves and..."His message is cut off by an error message from his internal radio.

What the hell His cyber systems were usually pretty solid but they'd been a bit fritzy since his return to earth. Some minor imaging trouble with his HUD and for a brief few minutes he'd had some tinny echo effects in his sound pick-ups but a straight up failure was concerning. So he reboots his comms and the system seems to have worked out the trouble. The last thing he needed was for his Vehicle Interface Package to frizt out while he was barreling about in the less than new farm equipment, maybe there was a cyberdoc around he could ask to look over his 'ware.

He does get some good footage of the trees being tore down and built into crude barricades and choke points as he wheels around like a stunt driver, tearing out trees and flipping them into place with ease and digging trenches.
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Tula »

Will you help us? What kind of question was that? Anyone answering the call Sir Redheart had laid out on Tula's supper table wouldn’t be able walk away from an entire town in need.

Tula observed her companions closely while they asked the Mayor questions and started proclaiming their intentions. The suspicious dwarf looked for signs that they weren’t as well intended as they appeared. Charon impressed her with her sincere appeal to speak to founding families. Tula suspected from the appeal that the Lyn-Srial was one of those magic users who pulled the dead out of their graves. It was curious to see that power wielded with obvious respect for the dead it utilized.

When the other dwarf rose to begin his preparations, Tula followed in Hans’s wake. While he wheeled and dealed for broken weapons and enchanted items, she quietly asked for seemingly less valuable things. A sack of fertilizer here, a bottle of cleaning solution there. An old children's clock, a bit of discarded circuitry, a spool of wire, and more of the like.

As she left one house, Tula staggered against the low wall surrounding the property. A shimmering vision rolled into the street ahead of her like mist off a mountain. Shapes moved and writhed between her and the people in the street. They solidified into two dragons, tails lashing and wings spread. She opened her mouth to call out a warning to the woman scurrying directly into their path, but stopped when the red dragon’s tail swiped through the woman without any effect. Tula scrubbed her gloved hand over her eyes and then vision was gone. Tula searched the street to see if anyone had taken notice of her or what she’d seen. When it didn’t look as though anyone had, she continued on to the next building. She could already hear Hans haggling inside.

The vision returned a couple more times over the afternoon. Each time the dragons appeared, one red, one black, they began to fight. It was so vivid that she could even hear the flap of their wings and the roars of pain. Tula would pinch her nose and shake her head and when she opened her eyes again, the vision would be gone. But it was startling and distracting every time it appeared. Finally, as night gathered in the east, Tula gathered her “supplies” together behind a building on the outskirts of town and pulled up her hoverbike with its own kit of supplies.

She took a quick break to get a bit of food at Moderation. She walked in just in time to hear Charon's appeal to the townsfolk. When they agreed, Tula had another idea. She made a mental note to find a minute to offer the necromancer some of work to outfit her summoned army.


Card Roll= 1d4: [1] = 1
roll again second 1d4: [2] = 2

Personal issues =-4
Expert Demolitionist ignores up to 4pts of penalty
Mr. Fix It +2 to repair
Spicy Home Cooking to make explosives
SHC Repair 1d10!!+2: [9]+2 = 11
Success and 1 raise. No fatigue, extra damage die.



Tula was pretty sure she could build at least a couple Anti-Vehicle mines and rig up some other booby traps to scatter around the "Kill Zone." As she pulled open the case of a radio and started pulling out wires, she heard the dragons start up again to her left. Luckily she'd done this so many times she could wire, defuse, and rewire up an explosive practically in her sleep. She let it play out, glancing over her shoulder to see if it was progressing the same as it had done before. It was gruesome, loud and it spilled across the newly cleared area behind her. When she moved on to mixing the chemicals she needed, she shook her head to clear the vision.

She worked quickly, assembly line fashion, putting together as many devices as she could until she ran out of materials. She slept through the darkest part of the night and rose when the sky was just beginning to lighten. Dawn found her stomping through the rugged kill zone burying a few strategic mines. She marked them in a fashion she'd told the mayor about the night before, with little shiny, sticky-backed christmas bows. She had asked him to make sure the townsfolk didn't wander into the minefield. Then Tula loaded the rest of her smaller ordinances onto her hoverbike and gently drove them over to find Charon in the graveyard.
Last edited by Tula on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Action Stan »

Scene Roll d4: [3] = 3
Shooting for task two 9, two tokens
Modifiers: scene -4, calibrated weapons +2. Net -2
Shooting d10!!-2: [8]-2 = 6
Wild d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Benny to reroll
Fighting reroll d10!!-2: [8]-2 = 6
Wild Reroll d6!!-2: [3]-2 = 1
Benny to reroll
Shooting reroll 2 d10!!-2: [11!!]-2 = 9
Wild Reroll 2 d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Stan takes direct control of Clips before the battle as the team gathers to discuss placement and strategy and gets a nice shot of the break, he even gets in a good line. "Alright, lets go do hero shit."

As he gets into place his technical difficulties worsen. His optics go pixelated with the HUD feed disappearing entirely and his aural system starts to generate feedback when it suddenly clears and over his radio he hears a deep mechanical thrumming as well as a pair of voices.

"There Arch, I told you it would work." The first says excitedly.

"No it didn't and now I need to purge the feed." Admonishes the second voice, then the transmission cuts off and his vision is restored.

He chalks it up to whatever local phenomena has been tampering with his gear since arriving in the town and decides to ask the mayor about it later. No time to fret about it anyway, their foes were arriving. Knowing he lacked the in close stopping power of the goliath, Humble or of the golem employed by Hans, Stan grabs a Particle rifle from the sheriffs weapon stocks and finds some higher ground on the makeshift stockade.

From there he rains hell down on the abominations, every shot finding a head or severing a limb. With so many heads and limbs this is less effective than it sounds however and during a push the barrier is viciously assaulted, knocking the Man of Action from the walls and into the muck with a foe bearing down on him. With his new gun a yard away in the muck he's left with few options but just as the beast steps up onto a fallen log, intent to spring from it and onto the human cyborg, Stan draws his Equalizer and blasts the wood. The big bore rounds slam into the log with enough force to send it rolling which upends the attacker, leaving it tumbling faces first into a mine it had run past. The blast disintegrates three of its four heads and the monster lay still in the muck.

Stan stands up, holsters his pistol and turns to retrieve the rifle. As he bends to scoop it up, the fallen creature proves to be less than dead and slowly rises behind the film maker, the sounds of battle seeming to mask it's recovery. As it reaches out Stan nonchalantly props the gun on his shoulder and fires behind himself, the no look shot cleanly disintegrating the monsters final head. After the corpse drops back into the mud Stan looks up at Clips and only says one word.

"Groovy."
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Humble »

Post One Roll
Post One Spirit to Resist Persuasions 1d8!! or Wild 1d6!! modified +2 Necklace, +2 Protect Hans, -4 Scene for Total +0: [3]+[4] = 7
Post Two Roll
Post Two roll Fighting with Inherent Swords 1d12!! or 1d6!! -4 Scene, +1 Swords for a Total -3: [6]+[2] = 8

Benny Post Two roll Fighting with Inherent Swords 1d12!! or 1d6!! -4 Scene, +1 Swords for a Total -3: [11]+[1] = 12

Humble looks to Hans for guidance on if they were going to wait here to kill the monsters when they arrive or charge out and get them. But before he can have an opportunity to ask, the crowd erupts with panic as the townsfolk suspect their approaching doom.

As they plea with him to protect them as they flee, Humble seems unmoved, telling them their safest way is to fight their enemies rather than be run down. But he was unable to convince them. Then the conversation turned as the people started pleaing that if Humble cared for his allies they too would die and his then who could fight the battle.

Humble’s heart was strained as he considered losing the only people left who knew him and accepted him. The struggle in his heart as his own desire to protect his allies warred with his desire to destroy the threat.

Humble was trapped for hours in the conflict when he finally heard Hans. Ready to grab Hans and take him to safety, Humble was stopped by seeing Hans introduce a new golem he had not seen before. As he saw the Golem assigned to fight beside the worm. That was enough information for Humble to snap out of it.

Within the moment Humble shook off the villagers. “Go away with your poison words. We fight, or we die, and those who run, only prolong such death.” Standing from the place he had been sitting Humble rushed up beside Hans and prepared himself.

“Where am I needed?” He asked as he summoned his great weapons to his hands.
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Humble »

Day Two

On his own Humble knew he worked as a brute. No matter how hard he could hit, or what blows he came back from, he always helped the most under the direction of others. Looking to @Hans Greuber for that guidance he asks? “These warriors of chaos look like the troops employed by Geist. But she was killed outside the hotel after we took down the Death’s Head. How do they still work her will?”

As he watched over Hans waiting for those orders Humble was pleased when his little friend offered him the enhanced enchantment.

Dining the bracelet Humble looked towards the coming demons and charged into them. The arcane enhancements of the powerful bracelet fueling him as he pushed himself as hard as he could, the demons falling to his blows stood no chance so long as he was amplified by the dwarves' artifact. Each time as the waves died down Humble would take the bracelet, drained of its energy, and return to Hans as he would recharge the device.

By his third trip Humble had learned not to dump all of the power from the bracelet at once, instead holding out until the struggle became deeper then calling on the nanite bracelet. The giant was unstoppable as one chaos demon after another fell to him, tearing them in half.
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Ducky »

Ducky grinned, her smile peaked out from beneath her opaque half helm. Her attention was focused on the big one called Humble. To her he was a malevolent swirl of green energy. Bitchin'. If she were to describe Humble, wraith and war would be her decidedly vague description. She leaped to his side chatting him up in the heat of battle, " So like what's your damage?" I hope he says something more than d12. She smirked remembering her apprentice and staunch ally Que. His off the wall comments while usually ill timed were what had endeared him to her. Gag me with a spoon girl, stay focused. She darted forward unleashing her cosmic blade into the warriors of Chaos while continuing to jaw with Humble, "Yeah so... I like got a few questions, like who are you? I can get a read on most of the others, but like you are totally fresh."

She twirled her blade and lashed out once more into the deformed monsters. "Like take that you dweebs!" She withdrew her blade quickly flicking the blade tossing any bile or guts off it. " Ewww, grody to the max huh Slugger? What do these guys even look like, are they gonna make us hurl? "
@Humble
Really the only question was would someone tell the blind woman that she was not actually hitting anything?


Fighting 3
1d12: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [3] = 3 +2 from her feats-4 task
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Tula »

As the enemy approached, Tula prepared her armor and fired up her hoverbike. She'd fought monsters bigger than herself outside the ruins of Dallas. Her team then had been just that, a team. They'd drilled and worked long hours together and knew what to do. Here she didn't have that kind of comfort. She had gathered some of the armed villagers on the defenses where they could see her mines. She had tried to instruct them on where to aim in order to herd the enemy toward the explosives.

"An enemy without legs becomes an obstacle and distraction for his kin. Generally they move slower too. Aim for the leg mechanisms and once they're on the ground you can concentrate on their control centers. I'll try to herd them from above." she told them. Then she'd mounted her bike and driven it up until she was in the sun, and hopefully less noticeable to the evilness approaching the open kill zone.

All night while she napped and all morning while she worked she'd been plagued by the visions of dragons. While her fingers knew the wires and chips of explosives, she actually needed her eyes and wits to pilot her bike and shoot its guns. She wavered in the sky, banking to avoid a lashing tail that only she could see. Concentrating and shaking her head worked less and less, now and then only giving her a couple minutes break before the dragons came crashing back.

Now, high in the sky she watched them writhing on the kill zone just outside the hastily erected defensive wall. Just as the supernatural being they'd been waiting for crashed into the open, the two dragons slammed themselves into each other again. It was different this time. It wasn't a rolling ball of claws and fangs. The black and red dragons seemed to melt into each other. They merged as a blob of writhing flesh that made Tula's stomach turn. She gagged into the elbow of her jacket and squeezed her eyes shut again, willing the vision away. She had a job to do. People were counting on her.

She opened her eyes, the dragons gone. She didn't bother to worry about when they'd be back. She sighted the actual enemy, noticing suddenly that they too looked like multiple creatures merged into one blob of flesh. She doubted herself for a moment. Were these also just a figment of her overtired mind? No. There were other shots and Humble racing out with Ducky at his heel, weapons drawn. Tula took a deep breath and aimed her guns and what she deemed the most vulnerable place on her chosen target.

As her guns flared and the first of her mines exploded, Tula felt something settle into place inside her chest. Yes. This was what she could do. This is where she needed to be.

shooting 5, piloting 5
1d4: [2] = 2
Piloting 1d8!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
piloting wild 1d6!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
Benny to reroll reroll piloting 1d8!!-4: [4]-4 = 0
reroll wild 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5

Shooting 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3
shooting wild 1d6!!-4: [9!!]-4 = 5

1 level of fatigue, 1 benny spent.

Command gives those nearby +1 spirit vs shaken
Take Em Down at +4 ap to damage against larger foe
Improved take down, - reroll damage without a benny


Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Humble »

Ducky wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm Ducky grinned, her smile peaked out from beneath her opaque half helm. Her attention was focused on the big one called Humble. To her he was a malevolent swirl of green energy. Bitchin'. If she were to describe Humble, wraith and war would be her decidedly vague description. She leaped to his side chatting him up in the heat of battle, " So like what's your damage?" I hope he says something more than d12. She smirked remembering her apprentice and staunch ally Que. His off the wall comments while usually ill timed were what had endeared him to her.
Humble was confused by the warriors question when she approached for a moment then he realized. "I prefer swords to fight my enemies." He replied. Hoping he got the answer right to what she was asking.

Ducky wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:28 pm Gag me with a spoon girl, stay focused. She darted forward unleashing her cosmic blade into the warriors of Chaos while continuing to jaw with Humble, "Yeah so... I like got a few questions, like who are you? I can get a read on most of the others, but like you are totally fresh."
Humble was please that they were already bonding after so short a time. Few things have ever helped build brotherhood like battle, and his new sister seemed willing to accept him as Hans had. "I am Humble, I am born each time into battle to fight and end great evil." Humble had spent a very long time thinking on this, and while he thought he understood his purpose it could take to long to share in the small lulls allowed in battle to share what he suspected and had been elaborated to him of his nature.

The warrior was familiar to him somehow, in a way he could not recall and it made him curious. "From where do you come warrior?" He asked Ducky trying to sort the past in his head.
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Ducky »

Gag me with a spoon. These p-breathers are no joke. The fallen cosmic knight was breathing hard. The enemy had driven its claws deep into her abdomen. While summoning the power cosmic to mend flesh might have been the smart move she just found out she was battle buddies with the spirit of battle. Stifling the pain she gasped super excited she asked @Humble, “OMG, a spirit of battle? So like I knew this guy back in the 3 Gs, Givens, not so much a tool but really handy with them. Escaped from the prime dweeb Dorian, and found himself on Phase World looking for someone who knew something about why he was how he was. So like I found him, and we go to the D-mart to get the 411. We run into this guy who was grody to the max named Power Dump. Like he was a bit of a talker. He tells me blah blah blah, the spirit of battle knows all.” She paused sucking in air while ducking under one of Tula’s shots. You go girl! Blood was dripping from her lips but still she smiled through the pain and asked, “Like do you know Givens, and what he should do now that he is free?”

2 wounds
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Wormy »

Hans Greuber wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:28 am "Hey, Wormy! I have a new friend for you to meet. You can call him
Jim (Golem)
  • Golems are humanoid Automatons with gems for eyes, hearts of iron, and bodies formed from clay. Animated by ancient rituals and guided by runes and inscriptions placed within their body, these constructs are nearly indestructible. They obey only their creator and will follow her last command until they are destroyed.
    • Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d10, Strength d12+4, Vigor d12+2
    • Skills: Athletics d6, Common Knowledge d6, Fighting d10, Intimidation d8, Notice d8, Persuasion d4, Shooting d6, Stealth d8
    • Pace: 6; Parry: 7; Toughness: 30 (12)
    • Hindrances: Loyal, Mute, Vow (Major—Obey creator)
  • Gear: Often none.
    Special Abilities:
    • Almost Indestructible: Golems gain +12 MDC Armor and +4 Toughness from their rune-embedded clay bodies. Even if blown up or chopped to bits, an Incapacitated golem regenerates completely within 2d6+12 hours unless its iron heart is removed from its chest cavity.
    • Bash: Str+d6, AP6, Mega Damage.
      Construct: +2 Toughness; +2 to recover from being Shaken; called shots do no extra damage; doesn’t breathe, immune to Disease, Poison, and Radiation.
    • Fast Regeneration: Golems make a natural healing roll every round.
    • Fear (−2): Golems cause Fear checks
      at −2 when encountered.
    • Fearless: Immune to most Fear effects and Intimidation.
    • Hardy: Does not suffer a Wound from being Shaken twice.
    • Size 3 (Normal): Golems stand 12 feet tall and weigh 2000 pounds.
    • Warded: Golems are created by ancient and powerful magics which make them invulnerable to banish, dispel, and most arcane mind control effects like illusion, puppet, slumber, stun, etc. They gain +4 to rolls to resist other magical effects.
. It may look scary, but it can carry you around the battlefield, and I have even made you a hollow that you can use for cover!! Jim has been ordered to obey your
Anything except attacking Hans himself. Hans can also issue overriding commands.
"[/b]
Wormy hears @Hans Greuber and stores the information away. He is aware, on some level, of the goings on around him during meditation but can't react. When the zembahk finally emerges from his meditation, uncurling from his meditative coil, he sees Jim standing guard beside him.

Wormy isn't sure how to interract with the golem when he can't speak to it, but when he points his tail at Jim and makes a "come with me" motion, the golem seems to understand. From that point on, Wormy seems preoccupied and non-responsive to those around him instead of his usual over-excited and friendly self. If he had the mental capacity for it, he would be concerned that his new friends would worry about him.

His mind is simply too full to spend on anything unneccsary. Arcane symbols, alien words of power, and magic gestures fill his mind. He doesn't understand these things, not really, but he knows that if he uses them together in the right sequence at the right time...it will bring much glory to the Great One. All his attention is focused on aranging this information how he needs it while also trying to tweak the ritual for maximum efficiency. After all, he was a Zehmbahk and these words, rituals and gestures come from some other race, probably the humans.

When Wormy arives on the battlefield, approximately fifteen minutes before the enemy forces arive, he sees the position showed to him during his meditations and slithers over to it. He spends a moment to sweep the area clear of foilage and debris, and then the zembahk mystic draws a large circle around himself in the dirt.

He positions himself in the center of the circle and makes a few last minute calculations before
Faith "Ritual": 4; +1 Token, +1 Fatigue
Big-Ass-Blast (not to be confused with ass-blasting, which is a graboid thing not a wormy thing)
(-4 Scene, -1 Fatigue, +1 Mystic Wand, +1 Arcane Marksman, +2 Small Spark)
Spellcasting d12!-1: [2]-1 = 1
Wild 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0
Benny!
Spellcasting d12!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 2 1d6!-1: [5]-1 = 4
-1 Benny but +1 Benny from taking -4 twice
. His body gyrates one way whilst his tail writhes another, drawing lines in the dirt as he franticly squiggles and whips around his circle. Anyone who might try connecting to Wormy's mind would hear the mental equivalent of him roaring words of power in time with his dancing.

After ten minutes of dancing, a beautifully ornate symbol fills the entirity of Wormy's circle. Once the last detail is finished, he seems to glow with a silvery light. Then he jerks himself around, countinuing his dance, and sweeps the symbol away with his tail. Every ten minutes he completes another symbol, seems to glow brighter, erases the symbol, and continues wrigging his strange dance. After each symbol's completion, the silverly light becomes more intense until it is painful to look directly at Wormy.

Just as he's nearly completed the second symbol, the enemy shows up. Jim places himself in front of the small zembahk while Wormy continues dancing even as his new friends prepare themselves for battle. By the time the sixth symbol is complete, the battle has already been joined and the defenders are fully engaged.

By the time the sixth symbol is complete, Wormy glows like a silver sun. By the time the ritual is complete, his friends, the Mayor, and those townsfolk brave enough to defend their homes, and even their ancestors have fought valiantly and held the line. The glow begins to leave Wormy's body and circle. It forms a large, perfect sphere and begins floating out over the battlefield. Wormy climbs up Jim's leg, exhausted, and continues up around its torso and falls into depression Han's was thoughtful enough to include for him.

Wormy settles down to watch the fruits of his labor. The sphere is hanging over the battlefield, now. It shines with the glory of the Great One. The excitement of what to come is nearly enough to re-energize Wormy! He watches it eagerly.

The sphere begins to lower itself. One of the brutes to attack the sphere, but it does nothing. The sphere continues to lower itself into the battlefield. When it's floating roughly a foot off the ground, Wormy raises his eye to take in as much as what's about to happen as he can.

There's a moment of tranquility. Some of the defenders can't help but to wonder what the briliant silver sphere is doing. It shines so bright its hard to look at, but unlike the sun it doesn't burn the eye. In a strange way, it's reassuring. It's the light that pierces the darkness, not the light that burns.

The silver shell explodes outwards, propelled in all directions by an explosion of the holy light contained within. If the orb was painful to view, the explosion is blinding. The explosion continues outwards, in all directions, rolling over allies and enemies alike. When the silver lances of shrapnel pierce through his friends, they fill a reassuring pressence strengthening their souls.

When the shrapnel pierces the enemy...nothing is left except piles of metal and non-organic detrius. The weakened creatures are destroyed completely. Those with more strenght remaining are able to physically resist the attack, but some portion of their blackened souls are burned away leaving them weakened and much easier pickings for the defenders.

The explosion continues until it reaches the bounds of the battlefield before the light begins to fade and the silver begins to disolve and blow away in the wind. Many of the beast still stand, but Wormy never expected to destroy them all. He didn't have enough power for that, not yet, but maybe one day he might.

No, his goal was to weaken the enemy force and Wormy succeded. Physically and mentally exhausted, Wormy curls up in Jim's bowl and lets the golem fight for him. Today was a good day. The Mighty One, Michael Bay, would be pleased.
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Lars »


Aftermath. Following the … Very Dangerous Dramatic Task.
Time lapse between the Task and this post is virtually nil.
Night falls on the town of Newport. The fight suddenly comes to an abrupt end. You have saved almost the entire town and townsfolk from being destroyed or killed! Looking around you can see there is only one of these horrible creatures left.

Last Monster
Last Monster


Standing on the edge of the battlefield covered in gore and blood the last of the bone, flesh and metal monsters tears at the remains of an unfortunate fallen townsfolk. She looks different then the others and has been hanging back from the combat.

The supernatural being has what looks like a Mind Over Matter implant protruding from the back of its head and a ivory horn tearing out the front of its head. Ashen skin, dark metal and black eyes take in the town of Newport and it’s defending force.

The creature tosses the human morsel to the ground and bares its bloody teeth in a wide grin and begins to bark in laughter. Almost like a hyena, if said hyena was a flesh and metal monstrosity.

A few of the risen, led by Jedidiah still mounted on the risen rhino buffalo, that Charon has returned shuffle towards her as two of four of her arms lift up and a dark cloud forms above the monstrous female thing and nearly instantaneously ripples it’s darkness over the entire battlefield.

Light rainfall and unnatural darkness cover Newport, the full moon gone from view. A eerie silence falls across the battered town, only the rain, seemingly muffled, makes any sound.

The thunderclap that erupts over the town is loud enough to cause havoc to even the best protected ears. Many of the townsfolk actually fall down from the resounding boom.

Jarred as you might feel, the thunderclap was not an attack, but the arrival of something else. Twenty oily black tentacles uncoil out of the black cloud, writhing over Newport and four monolith like obsidian pillars tear up out of the ground. Tentacles strike out at the defenders of Newport. The obsidian pillars emanate dark wispy tendrils of fog and each pillar radiates as supernatural evil. Blasts of dark purple bolt out at people from the pillars.

Rift Maw
Rift Maw


The bringer of demons, the gruesome female thing barks laughter again and her scratchy vile voice says: ”By Abrax…”

Her words are cut off.

“Nope!” Yells a male voice.

As the creature words are cut off you see a Psi Sword rip out the front of her chest. Then flashing blue white as the blade beheads the creature. As it’s grotesque dead body toppled forward you see Sir Redheart standing behind his kill. Rushing out of the woods behind him are the Crimson Guard.

The Crimson Guard (10 Characters):
I’ll update NPC bios ASAP

Sir Redheart — Cyber Knight
Elaina — Fighter & Psi Medic
Crok — Larmac
The Giggler — Crazy
Scythe — Summoner
Akuji — Heroic Vampire Mage
Blackfish— Ogre Tattoo Warrior
Drake — Dragon Juicer
Several Mages.

Their arrival negates any fatigue you might be carrying over from the VDDT (The previous Dramatic Task). Either of bey heal you and or their arrival lifts your spirits.


Sir Redheart screams a bloody war cry as spittle blows from his mouth in excitement.

Insane laughter erupts across the battlefield from the Giggler, popping a wheely with his cycle. You see the Larmac on a hover board racing forward with a massive railgun in his hands.

Several others, ten in all, charge out into the battlefield. A sense of elation is felt. Help has arrived.

”There’s only one thing to do with a Rift Maw! Kill it! Attack!”

Bellowed by the pale female in red armor. The Guard move in to attack the tentacles and pillars. One member of Sir Redheart’s group steps across the distance and appears next to Ducky. She “lays hands on” Ducky healing her.

COMBAT INFORMATION



  • QUICK COMBAT: Fighting, Shooting, arcane etc. skills.

    Modifiers:
    -1 if you had a helmet on or audible protection when the boom happened.
    -2 if no ear protection

    Players can go in whatever order they want in a Quick Encounter.

    Use the rules for Ammo & Power Points under Mass Battles (page 131) for this combat encounter.

    Support rolls don’t count as successes.

    QUICK COMBAT RESULTS TABLE
    • Less than 12 Successes from the seven of you results in the either the Black Company will need to retreat, or if you decide to stand your ground and continue the battle I will post up a new post which will be more difficult than this one and may start with you having injuries/wounds...if we get there I will explain further.
    • 13-14 Successes, results in a stand off where you can escape the area unharmed, as the Rift Maw destroys the town 90% but the townsfolk are not killed.
    • 15-17 Successes results in you are VICTORIOUS! You beat the monster so hard it pulls back into the open portal and leaves. 75% of town destroyed. The portal stays open though. Salvage claim: base of 20 k in material. Base of means what you can take away, if you have skills that alter it we will talk.
    • 18 Succeses results in same as above however portal closes. Only 50% of town is destroyed. Salvage claim: base of 30 k in material.
    • 19 Succeses Only 25% of town is destroyed. Salvage claim: base of 40 k in material. Considered Heroes in Newport.
    • 20 or more: Only 10% of town destroyed. Your Reputation in Newport gets you free room and board for life. Statues of all of you will be made. Salvage claim: base of 50 k in material.
    *** Special one time offer. Trade 2 Bennies for 1 Success (but you have to narrate an additional paragraph telling about how one of the villagers interacted with you doing something cool). Because Action Stan really really wants statues. ***


  • Pro Maps
    Pro Maps
Full stats on the bad guys is over kill but let’s you get a feel for what they are like.
  • Rift Tentacle (There are 16 total) ** Treat each of the tentacles as if it is it’s own being. Wild Card. Takes 3 wounds to kill each tentacle. **

    Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d4(A), Spirit d10, Strength d12+8, Vigor d10

    Skills: Athletics d6, Fighting d6, Notice d10, Stealth d8

    Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 18 (4)

    Edges: Alertness, Berserk

    Special Abilities:
    „• Armor +4: Like oversized prehistoric machaeridian worms, calcitic shells protect Rift Tentacle segments.
    „ • Bite: Str+2d6, AP 6, Mega Damage. „
    • Environmental Resistance (Heat): take −4 damage from heat and fire and gain a +4 bonus to resist heat-based Hazards and powers.
    •„ Environmental Weakness (Cold): take +4 damage from cold and suffer a −4 penalty to resist cold-based Hazards and powers.
    „• Nightvision: Though lacking eyes, hyper- attuned senses of smell and touch allow it to ignore penalties for Dim and Dark conditions.
    •„ Size 7 (Large): range grow from 25 to 100 feet long.
    „• Thrash: they usually use their bite to grapple, thrashing around once they have a target Bound or Entangled. In addition to the usual Strength damage from grappling, victims held by a tentacle also suffer +d6 damage from being battered against the ground and obstacles.
  • Obsidian Rift Pillars (There are 4 total) ** These are Extras. One Wound to destroy each pillar. **

    Quick Stats

    Pace: 0; Parry: 2 (they look like solid stone but can
    bend about ; Toughness: 28 (6)

    Edges: Alertness, Quick.

    Special Abilities:
    „• Armor +6
    „ • Bolt Attack: 5d6 MD bolt. AP 4.
    •„ Size 7 (Large): range grow from 25 to 30 feet tall.
    „• Radiates Fear (innate/constant). Looking at or touching in any way — Do a Fear Check at -2.


GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Action Stan »

Ammo use 3d6: [6, 6, 4] = 16
Ammo Use roll take 2 2d6: [5, 3] = 8
Shooting for task, 14 3 successes
Note I forgot size mod and wormy gave a +1 Shooting d10!!+3: [8]+3 = 11
Wild d6!!+3: [1]+3 = 4
Clips notice d8!!: [3] = 3
Over the years there's been some debate over the Action Stan films as to their authenticity. Sure some of it was obvious special effects edited in but a lot of them are actual combat footage. Any questions over whether or not the film makers insane feats of accuracy were jump cuts, or prearranged and fake are firmly quashed. With a vibro sword in one hand he fires his rifle with the other, all while running and dodging he's casually lining up and firing blasts from his newly acquired rifle that sever tentacles when aimed to kill or more often wound one and draw the beasts away from the town and towards himself. Soon enough several converge on Stan and his blade gets stuck in the flesh of one of the attackers only to be ripped from his hand.

Drawing his Equalizer he swears mentally at his drone partner for losing track of the things as they circled him. Ok, you got this buddy. There's always a way out. Then he sees the blender of doom that is Ducky and Humble through the tightening mass around him. Bingo!

Blasting a tentacle back with a blast of bigbore he leaps through the opening and sprints towards his allies. "Humble! Ducky! I'm bringing the party to you!!"

He comes in hot and baseball slides under the swinging blades of his allies, kipping up immediately to turn and offer fire support.
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Hans Greuber »

Fighting to Assist: 1d10!!: [4] = 4


TW (Wearing Helmet so -1, +1 due Gargamel... so flat roll)
  • TW: 1d12!!: [11] = 11
    Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
    Result: 11 + 1 due Wormy = 12 - Success with 2 Raises. 3 Tokens. Spending 2 Bennies for 1 more Token... so 4 Tokens.
PPE: 3d6: [4, 3, 5] = 12 . 6 from Hans's PPE, 3 from his Teleport Gadget, 3 from his Healing Gadget.


Sending more Nanites into Gargamel, Hans sends it out after the tentacles.

I really need to get the Golems some decent weapons.

Seeing the Golem smash into the tentacles, Hand sends some extra Nanites towards Humble to also up his combat effectiveness. Looking around, Hans sees one of the villagers trying in vain to fend off one of the tentacles. Hans runs over closer to the villager and activates his nanite hive to Teleport himself and the villager away from the tentacles and into a nearby building, but not before the Tentacle knocks out the villager. Pulling out another nanite hive, Hans sends them out to fix up the villager. Sending Gargamel over to cover the weakness in the defenses from the removed villager, the Golem starts swinging.

This guy over here looks pretty well equipped... I wasn't even needed to fix up his gun. He probably has more than a few credits to throw the way of someone who has helped him out.

"Don't worry. My team and I have this covered. You took a pretty good hit there. My nanites have stitched you up, but best not to push yourself too much yet."
Last edited by Hans Greuber on Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Humble »

Ducky wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:46 pm Gag me with a spoon. These p-breathers are no joke. The fallen cosmic knight was breathing hard. The enemy had driven its claws deep into her abdomen. While summoning the power cosmic to mend flesh might have been the smart move she just found out she was battle buddies with the spirit of battle. Stifling the pain she gasped super excited she asked Humble, “OMG, a spirit of battle? So like I knew this guy back in the 3 Gs, Givens, not so much a tool but really handy with them. Escaped from the prime dweeb Dorian, and found himself on Phase World looking for someone who knew something about why he was how he was. So like I found him, and we go to the D-mart to get the 411. We run into this guy who was grody to the max named Power Dump. Like he was a bit of a talker. He tells me blah blah blah, the spirit of battle knows all.” She paused sucking in air while ducking under one of Tula’s shots. You go girl! Blood was dripping from her lips but still she smiled through the pain and asked, “Like do you know Givens, and what he should do now that he is free?”

2 wounds
As Ducky gets excited Humble has trouble following everything she is saying. But her last sentence is clear enough for him. "Givens? No, I do not remember him.

"I am sorry, Sometimes I cannot remember everything that happens to me from one life to the next."





Fighting 1d12!! Wild 1d6!! no hearing proection -2 Intigrated Weapons +1: [11]+[4] = 15


Humble shakes his head, his ears ringing. He hard losing his hearing. The loss of balance that came with it was always distracting.

Watching the Cyber-Knight fell three last of the demons he was glad for help. Even with all the strength and power brought against these fiends, they where still able to kill so many of the villagers.

His armor was busted up several times already, but the enchantment Hans had placed on it caused the nanites to automatically start grabbing new material and reforming.

Stretching out his arms Humble charged, each tendril that reached for him was sliced in half as if nothing but butter, before the creator learned and started focusing bolts off dark energy on him. But Humble was relentless, not willing to show for the blasts, except when knocked down so he could stand again unwounded and ready for more. The enhancements Hans constantly pumped into Humble made the battles so much easier and drained his own powers so much less.
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Ducky »

The Return of Thunder Duck, Some Time Ago when she was the vassal of an evil Emperor
“Let the darkness spew forth and cover the planet. Let this world burn.” The voice of Ducky’s master washed over her. Ducky stood next to her master upon the precipice of an open air floating dias. Her senses were focused a good two hundred feet below where a giant monolith jutted from the ground radiating the surrounding village with tendrils of darkness. Well she could not really see the darkness, her senses processed its image into a chilling wave of radiating fear.

She nodded agreeing with her master’s statement, “Yes my liege.” Her senses captured the citizens of Rigel II fleeing for there lives as the waves of fear enveloped them. Her master beside her cackled. Never before had there been someone of his race so motivated, it made her wonder if that was what made him the most feared emperor of the 3 galaxies.

Being born without eyes she could never discern the small yet crucial details that filled life. However, her hearing was excellent. She caught the piercing cry of someone yelling, “No my baby! Someone help me! My baby! It has my baby!” She had not always been a servant of evil incarnate. In another life she roamed the cosmos as a great protector, the Cosmic Knight Thunder Duck. The cry came again, “Please! My baby!” From the deep recesses of her soul something had stirred.

From her lips, completely unintentional, the softest of whispers escaped, “Thunder Duck…”
Her leige laughed wiping his eyes. He laughed and yelled at the screaming people below, “Look at them run Ducky! Look! Flee before me!”. He paused and quizzically raised an eye brow, ”Did you say something?”
6 successes
Roll: Fighting 1d12 +2 professional edge, +2 battle fury blade, -1 she has a helm, +1 wormy
1d12!!: [16!!] = 16 1d6!!: [3] = 3
So looks like a 20, spent two bennies for an extra success. 6 total successes
Ducky found herself lying down near The spirit of battle and it’s short stocky helper.Fer sure their names are Humble and Hanzy. She watched for a brief moment somewhat in awe to be in the presence of a primal force of the universe. It has been sometime since she had rode with such company. Not that it made her companions lesser, it’s just Humble was breathtaking to behold. She sighed inwardly and whispered to herself more than anyone blushing, “Jeeze girl, like get a hold of yourself.”

She nodded to the person who healed her and felt a familiar scene unfolding. Gag me with a spoon, It’s just like Rigel II. Except this time she was free and willing to stop the worst from happening. As her body steeled itself for her charge into battle she could not help but notice a familiar young boy crouched down near a shack close to one of the obsidian pillars. In his hand was a small spade readied like a spear. She pushed the familiar feeling aside leaped into battle with the power cosmic gleaming through her blade. It was as if her very body for the briefest moments transformed into a brilliant streak of electric blue energy.

The dark pillars tendrils of smoke nearly enveloped her electric form. For the briefest of moments her light was nearly extinguished. But the boy still near, yelled her true name so the light would never forget. ”Thunder Duck!”

The forge it would seem moved in ways unknown. Or maybe Ducky was just so inspired by the Splurgoth scarf. Hearing her name called was enough to bring the long dormant memory of who she was to the surface for a brief moment. Wings of electric blue formed from her body, beat back the dark tendrils, and grew to such an extent that all too soon the town’s sky lit up in an explosion of brilliant blue light.

But Ducky could not hang onto he memory too long, almost none who fell from the cosmic forge could. She crouched at the pillar knowing her might had been too much. Her cosmic weapon was still hot with the power of the forge flowing through it. Sweat dripped from her brow and her arms felt like she had swung her sword a good 1000 times. She could give more if that was what was required but she would need help to describe that detail.

“Humble, Hanzy like where is the beef?”
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Wormy »

Although still exhausted from the battle, Wormy raises himself up in Jim's bowl and looks around the battlefield at his allies, the defenders, and the new arrivals. He sends each one a mental tendril and collapses back into Jim's bowl. The big boom and the ritual leading up to it took too much out of Wormy for him to fight right now.

With his connections established, the little Zembahk
Pep Talk: 6 - Single Success
(-2 Scene, +1 HJ)
Persuasion d8!-1: [4]-1 = 3
Wild 1d6!-1: [6!, 1]-1 = 6
Charismatic Reroll
Persuasion 1d8!-1: [3]-1 = 2
Wild 2 1d6!-1: [1]-1 = 0
, 'Wow, great job everybody. We really kept the town safe. I know this is bad, but look just how much we did by ourselves against those nasty creatures. Now we have even more help!'

'
No idea which penalty a Golem would take. Either way, its at least a success.
Jim Fighting 1d10!: [7] = 7
if we're needed,'
Wormy continues, 'But I don't have much left in me, so I'll help with communications. If you need anything just think it and I'll get pass the thought along. We can do this everybody!'
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Charon »

Spellcasting 12+1 bonus success
Helmet. Net roll Spellcasting d12
PPE used 3d6: [2, 1, 2] = 5
Spellcasting 1d12!!: [10] = 10
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Free Tweak Reality Re-roll:
Spellcasting 1d12!!: [1] = 1
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Spend a Benny to reroll
Spellcasting 1d12!!: [1] = 1
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Alright, I'll stop before I critfail.

Grim Squad Support!
Fighting 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Group Wild Fighting 1d6!!: [4] = 4
+1 to Charon

Final roll 11.
Correction--with Wormy's +1 to the group, it becomes a 12!

Spending 2 remaining Bennies to buy one more success.
Charon's magic is ill-suited to direct attacks, but she can support and hinder quite nicely. After directing the Grim Squad to begin tearing down the obelisks (a task the Rhino-buffalo is quite well suited to), she turns her own attention to the tentacles. She calls upon the ancestors of the village once more, this time asking their spirits to directly intervene on behalf of their descendants; they answer the call, and several of the tentacles find themselves surprisingly fragile, much more easily harmed by the weapons of the townsfolk and the Black Company.

Meanwhile, members of that latter category also find themselves buffered and strengthened by those selfsame spirits. Many of the townsfolk, in particular, will describe in the coming days how they felt another hand guiding their weapon, keeping the muzzle steady as the guns fired.

As Jebidiah and Chauncy bring down yet another pillar with a vicious charge, it becomes clear which side will win the day....
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Tula »

Tula, mindful of the rift opening over the battlefield, brings her hoverbike down by the old digger Stan was using the day before to help clear the field. She pulls out the last of her explosive supplies and dives into the engine compartment.

"Come on, come on!" She chants to the components while throwing furtive glances over her shoulder. A skinny teenager from the town cooked running out with a package under his arm.

"Father said you could use this. He knows what you're doing!" The kid shoved a couple canisters of fertilizer and a little package of plastique at her.

"Perfect! Here. Hold this!" Tula scrabbled to coordinate two sets of hands and the new materials.

It only takes a few minutes before they're gently closing the compartment lid and Tula is climbing awkwardly up to the cab.

"Damn tall people machines! Get out of here kid! Get back to your father."

Tula fires up and wedges a stick to hold down the accelerator. She takes her time to carefully line up the digger on what like like a straight path into the tentacles and then jumps clear. With any luck the tentacles will pull it closer to its brethren before it explodes.

Tula didn't wait for the explosion, she gets back on her bike and gets herself squarely between the monster and the town. If they're going to take out Newport, it'll have to be over her dead body!

repair 10 and two for 1
Helmet -1, demolitionist ignores 2pts
Mr fix it, wormy and tool kit=+4
Setting explosives Repair 1d10!!+4: [6]+4 = 10
Wild 1d6!!+4: [3]+4 = 7

Spend two bennies for one success
Current Bennies 2/3
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Lars »


After the …
Battle of Newport’s Black Dawn


(In Discord get a good name for battle and award all a bennie for it)

So I liked Black Dawn a lot. Everyone in the Black Company gets a bennie for that suggestion. Thank you Jason and Rob and you all for the ideas.

Townsfolk move about looking both relieved and saddened by the battle. Due to your valiant efforts, gods you guys kicked butt, only 10% of town is destroyed. Your Reputation in Newport gets you free room and board for life. Statues of all of you will be made. Salvage claim: base of 50 k in material.

This post is how you help after the battle and help rebuild the town.




As the night turns into early morning Sheriff Mayor Karl White is seen talking to his risen ancestor who is riding the risen mount. Turning away from the risen Karl walks towards the heroes who helped save Newport. Tears in his eyes he smiles as his teen son runs over to him to embrace in a hug.

As they pass you, headed towards the Mayor’s office you overhear the boy asking, “Will you tell me more about great grandpa Jedidiah pa?”

Karl nods at you all and responds to his son, “Yes son, as you prepare for bed. I have to talk to these heroes who helped us after I get you tucked in. There is much to still do. Come on.”

Elsewhere across the battlefield people search for missing loved ones and start the process of putting out fires as ash and sadness descends in the wake of war.

Tula is approached by a older man with soot on his face and several cuts across his arms. He looks well considering the battle. With him is his son, who Tula recognizes as the boy who brought her bomb materials. Smiling the old man introduces himself as Lance and his son is Pete. They offer to help you in anyway they can.

Hans notes the man he saved nod a thanks to him. He heads off with several others to grab buckets to get water from the river and toss on burning buildings.

The barkeep from the Moderation stumbles out into view and drops his energy rifle by Charon’s feet. He looks exhausted. Looking at the remaining risen the man, Kevin, sighs and tells Charon that he almost fled town but seeing his risen mother fight gave him the courage to stay.

Stan checks on Clips. Gotta make sure there is enough memory to record more, and video footage to be saved. Tinkering with the aerial drone he doesn’t notice, at first, the box set down next to him. Looking up from the little drone he sees a cardboard box laying next to him. In the box is a note and a
Fusion Block IV — 3d20+20 Mega Damage and 30 AP Small burst template.
.

The note says: My Man! You look so young. My bones hurt and my mind is aged but I remember you. My current employer has requested I deliver this to you. When the time comes this will get you in. Good luck m’man. -Asher Black

The device tools like a fusion block. It’s a black brick with pink graphite painted on it looking like a smiling face.

Jim the Golem wanders off from the center of town with Wormy resting in the bowl like top of its head. The golem sits down “Indian style” and makes sure to keep its head even so the Zembahk can rest. After about half an hour Wormy notices that around eight townies have taken up positions around him, all sitting cross legged and watching him as he rests in the golem.

Humble is approached by one of Sir Redheart’s Crimson Guard members. The tall muscled man has insanely wispy black hair and what look like scars from wearing a juicer harness. He drops to his knees and removes his sunglasses looking up at the avatar of war. “Glad I got to meet you before the end. Tell your maker… I would serve.” Burning glowing eyes stare at Humble. Sir Redheart calls out: “Drake! Let’s go. We got people to help!”

The Dragon Juicer named Drake puts his sunglasses back on, drinks from a canteen seemingly filled with blood, and moves off to join his leader Redheart.

Ducky sees the young boy with a spade as he runs around town telling other children the story of Thunder Duck. Resilient as always the children of Newport play out epic scenes from the battle. Some pretend to be monstrous tentacles while others reenact the deeds of Ducky and the others.

Karl White eventually comes back out of his office/home. Approaching the heroes and townsfolk he helps coordinate efforts to put out fires, help find resources to rebuild and then rebuild Newport. This process takes several days. Over those days you often hear the townsfolk refer to the battle as Newport’s Black Dawn or just Black Dawn.

Sir Redheart and his crew assist in

They provide you one Token that you can use in any one of the below topics.
the town.



Three prong Quick Encounter, restoring Newport.

The seven Players each pick two of the three parts to participate in.
  • 1.) Putting out fires. Healing hearts and minds.
    • This is more than just buildings being on fire. There are fires. There are injuries. People to rescue from buildings or bleeding out from the battle. Crisis across the aftermath of the battle. Moral and mental anguish.
    • Pick a skill and roll.
    • Seven Tokens needed.
  • 2.) Finding material to rebuild and rebuilding.
    • Salvage the destruction, the demons remains, the nearby woods etc. Set up a relief center? Rebuild the bar? Homes. Build better defense around the town. The small port attached to the river is completely burned to the ground and it was the main source of income for the town that both is a logging town and mid point for traveling sales.
    • Pick a skill and roll.
    • Seven Tokens needed.
  • 3.) Explore the underground cache and train the townsfolk.
    • Sheriff Mayor Karl White confides in the Black Company that there is a underground bunker from hundreds of years ago under the town. Accessed by a vehicle lift hidden in the mayor’s office building. The problem is there are several security systems and a few old world bots protecting the place. Once the weapons are accessed the townsfolk will need some training.
    • Seven Tokens needed.



  • So, each Player posts once.
  • In your post tackle two of the three parts of this Encounter.
  • That means each post will have two skill rolls. One roll for each task tackled. There are no negative modifiers.
  • There are three parts which in total need seven Tokens each. If one area is failed GM will explain the adverse consequences. Or if you crit fail a roll GM will introduce a complication.
  • Feel free to RP among yourselves too. If you interact with townies you can hold those conversations without my input. If you talk to any of the Crimson Guard or Sir Redheart they are polite enough but do not seem very interested in engaging in conversations. They mention Sir Redheart will brief you all on the actual mission in a few days once the town is settled. They suggest that they have a different mission to attend to. They are tight lipped on it.





*** Thank you for your patience as I get back into the swing of GMing. After this I am starting the actual Plot Campaign and your Characters will be headed to Castle Refuge to start on the mission that Sir Redheart has hired you to do. None of Newport was originally in my plans. However I enjoyed how you participated in the town and the Battle of Newport’s Black Dawn!

We may not return to the town for a bit, but it’s cool having it here waiting for you to come back to and RP in. Well done all. On October 1st Bennies etc reset and we’ll role into Q4. Until then, about 4 days away IRL, time to rebuild the town. ***
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport

Post by Charon »

OOC Comments
Task 1: Spellcasting (representing the aggressive use of Divination)
Spellcasting 1d12!!+1: [9]+1 = 10
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!+1: [9!!]+1 = 10
Two Tokens

Task 3: Repair
Repair 1d10!!+3: [9]+3 = 12
Wild Repair 1d6!!+3: [8!!]+3 = 11
Three Tokens!

1/3 Bennies after the one from naming the battle.
Healing Hearts and Minds
Charon smiles at Kevin's words. "And in staying, you made your mother proud; she will rest easy, now, knowing her son is a man of honor and valor." She pauses and chuckles before continuing. "Although she does hope that you'll stop dilly-dallying and find someone to settle down with; she wants to be proud of her grandchildren, too!"

In a village this size, even 'minimal' casualties doesn't mean none at all. And pretty much everyone who did die in the fight had a lover, friend or family member among the survivors. And so Charon not only directs the risen dead back to their graves, but also assists in the interment of the handful of new casualties. This does not consist only of the common rites for such (though she is familiar with many of these, and quite willing to perform them), but also to an additional service often not available to the grieving--the ability to say good-bye.

One by one, she asks the dead whom they most wish to give their farewells to, and then conveys those words to the survivors. Among other things, a formerly reluctant father gives posthumous permission for his daughter to wed her beaux (he'd feared the lad was a bit too flighty, but had been impressed with how he performed on the field of battle, enough to be confident his daughter would be in good hands). A few secrets are passed on, as well, with Charon swearing deeply to never reveal those confidences to any but their intended recipients. In this way, she is able to give closure to the living, and grant them the ability to move forward.

Of course, some of the long-dead, particularly those whose remains participated in the battle, receive this service, as well, particularly old Jebidiah, who even is able to tell some of what he knows about that underground bunker--sure, he'd never been able to breach it, but his failed efforts offered some insight on what traps to avoid. Armed with this information, Charon volunteered to join the group planning to head to the bunker, once her principle tasks were done with.

*************************

Into the Earth

In the bunker, Charon reveals another, more surprising talent. Using her toolkit, she is able to get the lift from the Sheriff-Mayor's office up and running again-- @Hans Greuber, of course, could've done it in his sleep, but when she offered, he decided to let her, most likely as a test to see if she could assist on more complicated tasks later.

And this proves to be a wise course on his part--later, when he is attempting to reprogram the old security robots to recognize them as legitimate entrants (rather than interlopers), he has her get one of the old magnetic clamp systems up and running, so that they can hold the robots steady, giving him a free hand to work his own magic.
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

Repair (+2 due Mr. Fixit, +4 due Salvaging Armor)
    • Gargamel Helping: Athletics: 1d6!!: [4] = 4
  • Repair: 1d12!!+6!!: [3]+6 = 9 +1
    Wild: 1d6!!+6!!: [10!!]+6 = 16 +1
    Result: 17 - Success with 3 Raises. 4 Tokens. Any extra Salvage from Hans's Salvage Expert Edge? The roll would give him 17% Salvage on Incapacitated things.


With a quick look through town, Hans then starts to work. Looking through the town, Hans starts on some salvage operations before working on the actual fixing up of the place.

These people will need credits to fix things up. I will see how much of value I can get from the attackers and give them a bunch, after I get a decent cut for me and my team. The repairs can also be done after we leave the town. We just have to get them ready for their external trade and business... after we get their defences set up.

"Alright. Time to get to work. I think I am the best one to get some liquidatable assets out of the attackers, then we can go to town fixing up their town. I think we should concentrate on their defences and external trade. They need to be able to keep up their reputation as a good business partner or they will lose out in the long run... as long as they can defend themselves. @Humble, can you help Gargamel construct a nice earthworks defensive wall around the land side? That will help them until they can build a properly constructed wall... and once that is done, the two of you can drudge out the harbour so it will be easier to repair the pier. Talk to @Action Stan for how best to proceed"


Hacking (+1 due Machine Maestro)
    • Gargamel Helping: Fighting: 1d10!!: [7] = 7
  • Hacking: 1d12!!+1!!: [11]+1 = 12
    Wild: 1d6!!+1!!: [3]+1 = 4
    Result: 13 - Success with 2 Raises. 3 Tokens.


"@Charon, thanks for the help. Lets see how I can reprogram these old security robots to help the town... maybe we may be able to find some new parts to upgrade Clips's processor. I wonder what they are guarding. If they were still down there intact protecting it, whatever there is should still be there. I am sure between myself, you, and Tula, we should be able to get whatever we find operational. Gargamel will help hold the robots back until we are ready for them."
Last edited by Hans Greuber on Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Humble »

Task 1 Rescue 20 for 5 tokens, Task 2 Rebuilding 6 for 1 Token
Task 1 People to Rescue Strength 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!! +12 to highest.: [4]+[4] = 8
Task 2 Rebuilding using Athletics to move things 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!!: [1]+[3] = 4


Last two Bennies to reroll
Task 1 People to Rescue Strength 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!! +12 to highest Benny reroll: [1]+[8!!] = 9
Task 2 Rebuilding using Athletics to move things 1d12!! or Wild 1d6!! Last Benny to Reroll: [6]+[1] = 7
Humble sees the burning buildings and hears the panic and frustration of the people affected. Lifting the material to get them out of the danger was easy. However Humble was help back by the fear he would lift something and cause another thing to fall in on the trapped people. His worry faded though as an idea came to him. He could put out the fires by grabbing the corner of what must have previously been a steel bunker and using it as a bucket to saturate the buildings Humble put out the fires following the instructions from the others he set to work disassembling the buildings safely.

Once the fires where out the hard word was to begin. Humble never tired from physical labor, or muscle fatigue, but his mind could tire. As Hans but him and Gargamel to work for Stan Humble was able to follow directions easily. Moving earth and stone was simple, the careful placement and attention to the instructions of where to place the earthworks and stone reinforcements in place. The labor was relaxing as Humble began to fall into line, letting his heart clear of stress as he turned to the pleasure of working with his hands.
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Action Stan »

Task one, Persuasion 5, 1 success
Persuasion d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild d6!!: [3] = 3
Benny to reroll
Persuasion Reroll d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Per Wild Reroll d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Benny to reroll
Persuasion reroll 2 d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Per Wild Reroll 2 d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
In the aftermath of the battle Stan works to help the wounded to those able to help and he does his best to console and comfort them and the other townsfolk. And while the loss of life and property is far less than anyone had a right to expect there were still losses. While certainly no statesman and references to "The Writers" only confused or annoyed people, his promise to rebuild and fortify the town and that their struggles would be immortalized in an upcoming film did find some welcome.

His own spirits are lifted by the gift from his old friend and battle brother and he tucks the fusion block away hoping that whatever it was sent for wasn't in the bunker below Newport. He was glad that situation seemed to be firmly taken care of by the more tech savvy team members. Those pre-apocalypse bunkers gave him the creeps like nothing he'd encountered before.

Task two, Battle 10, 2 successes
Battle d6!!: [1] = 1
Wild d6!!: [2] = 2
Benny to reroll
Battle Reroll d6!!: [5] = 5
Wild Reroll d6!!: [10!!] = 10
Clips Notice in Support d8!!: [3] = 3
Instead he teamed up with Humble in laying out and building some ramparts around the town. While not MD material the earthworks would at least deflect and disperse some of the energy from incoming attacks. One benefit of the battle and the prep done prior to it was that some of the clearing and work was already in place just in need of repair and reinforcement. They lay out some switchbacks on the approaching roads with kill zones as well before moving on to the repair of the docks.
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

"Now for later business, this Underground Bunker seems like the PERFECT place for us to have as a base of operations. It is already made, though will need some repairs and upgrades, and not well known . We can see if there are any other entrances or exits when we have the time. We can have a little of our eventual resources warehoused in the actual town, and then have a nice ace in the hole. We also need to talk about the split of any pay and salvage. The seven of us, as well as any others that get voted in, get a full share, though we may have others join us for a lesser share, and the Company should get somewhere from one to three shares to pay for communal property like group vehicle purchases, upgrades, and repairs... for an example. We may even consider giving the company 50% right off the top before splitting the rest for shares. Thoughts, everybody?"
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Action Stan »

Hans Greuber wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:10 am "Now for later business, this Underground Bunker seems like the PERFECT place for us to have as a base of operations. It is already made, though will need some repairs and upgrades, and not well known . We can see if there are any other entrances or exits when we have the time. We can have a little of our eventual resources warehoused in the actual town, and then have a nice ace in the hole. We also need to talk about the split of any pay and salvage. The seven of us, as well as any others that get voted in, get a full share, though we may have others join us for a lesser share, and the Company should get somewhere from one to three shares to pay for communal property like group vehicle purchases, upgrades, and repairs... for an example. We may even consider giving the company 50% right off the top before splitting the rest for shares. Thoughts, everybody?"
Despite not balking in the least at the days earlier events the Man of Action balks at the mention of the ancient facility. He considers suggesting scrapping the place for supplies or using it as a shelter for the townsfolk but despite the fearful chattering of his subconscious he can't think of a legitimate reason to oppose the idea. When the topic becomes shares however he has more to say.

"Back in Pecos the more merc like gangs, and actual mercs, would run between 25 and 50 percent overhead depending on the level of support the organization was providing and expected overhead for such. Things like the company covering gear repair or suppling ammo, to "company" vehicles. Some of that's more up to Blackwell or whoever is running the show. That legalese covered I favor the idea."
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Humble »

Hans Greuber wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:10 am "Now for later business, this Underground Bunker seems like the PERFECT place for us to have as a base of operations. It is already made, though will need some repairs and upgrades, and not well known. We can see if there are any other entrances or exits when we have the time. We can have a little of our eventual resources warehoused in the actual town, and then have a nice ace in the hole. We also need to talk about the split of any pay and salvage. The seven of us, as well as any others that get voted in, get a full share, though we may have others join us for a lesser share, and the Company should get somewhere from one to three shares to pay for communal property like group vehicle purchases, upgrades, and repairs... for an example. We may even consider giving the company 50% right off the top before splitting the rest for shares. Thoughts, everybody?"
Humble shakes his head a bit thinking on what it is like to be trapped underground. "Having a building collapse on you makes it take a long time to die. I would not want to do that again. But if you think we should I will help."


Yes, I know I still need to post in the main line and plan to today.
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Charon »

Charon considers. "I, for one, think the idea of using the bunker as a marshaling area is a sound one. We can, of course, take steps to ensure its security, as well as making certain we are unlikely to be trapped beneath it. And in any case, while that work is being done, we should certainly make use of it as a secure storage facility." She eyes @Hans Greuber's prodigious loot-extraction results. "It would seem we are going to need some."

She considers for a bit, and then adds. "One thing--if we are using this town as an ongoing base of operations, our activities could ultimately draw foes here looking for us. Perhaps it might be in our interest to maintain goodwill by contributing a portion of our proceeds to the town's budget?"
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Tula »

Lars wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:08 pmElsewhere across the battlefield people search for missing loved ones and start the process of putting out fires as ash and sadness descends in the wake of war.

Tula is approached by an older man with soot on his face and several cuts across his arms. He looks well considering the battle. With him is his son, who Tula recognizes as the boy who brought her bomb materials. Smiling, the old man introduces himself as Lance and his son is Pete. They offer to help you in any way they can.
Tula returns Lance’s hearty handshake and offers her gloved hand to the tall boy with shockingly red hair. “I should be the one thanking you two. I’m not sure I’d have been able to rig a blast that big without your help.”

Running her stumpy fingers through her whitened hair until it stands on end, Tula looks around the wreckage of the town. Humble is lifting entire buildings to rescue pinned townsfolk and Charon seems to be calmly orchestrating the flow of bodies to the makeshift med tent. Hans has already started scrapping the remains of the warmachines and Wormy is… sleeping?

“Lance, this place is your home. It is more than just the walls and roofs that have been destroyed. It is homes and livelihoods. Tell me what place you think should be rebuilt to best serve the people of this town? Is it a church or a meeting house? I see the bar is already turning barrels into tables.” She smiles as a small cry of joy rises around an outstretched hand holdling an unbroken bottle of amber liquid.

Lance looks around with her and then over her shoulder to the river. Trickles of smoke still rise from the ruin that was the port and warehouses. Debris choke the river and the only recognizable chunk of the large dock smolders 100 yards downstream. ”The port, ma’am. With no port, getting supplies and trade goods in and out won’t be possible. After the bar, the port is probably the place we need. The river will take the debris, but we will need a dock before winter.”

Tula turns to follow his gaze. ”Well. I had to learn a lot about bridges in order to blow them up. And what’s a dock but a sideways bridge. I think I can help with that. Let’s go down there and see what we can do.”

common knowledge 1d8!!: [3] = 3
Wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Drop a benny for a reroll (the one we got in the last GM post)
reroll common knowledge 1d8!!: [13!!] = 13
wild 1d6!!: [16!!] = 16 HOLY CRAP!


--Many Hours Later --

Wishing for a soft bed and a hot meal, Tula trudges back up the road toward town from the river. The setting sun hurts her eyes. The dock was well underway and Pete had finally convinced his father to go home and sleep. A young woman, a girl really, on the street with a cart stopped her with a wave. Tula bit back a growl of annoyance, but before she could open her mouth to deny whatever task the girl wanted, a pair of warm hand pies appeared under her nose. ”Here, missus! My ma and I’s been baking all day. There ain’t much meat in the stuffing, but the gravy’s good and there’s beans. If’n you’re looking for your mates, most of them are in the mayor’s office. Looks like they’s trying to get into the bunker. I just dropped off a basket of pies and a jug of sweet water to them.”

And with that the girl picked up her handles and hurried her cart off down the road to the next work crew. Tula shook her head and took a bite of her pie. It was the best thing she’d ever eaten.
Hans Greuber wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:09 pm"@Charon, thanks for the help. Lets see how I can reprogram these old security robots to help the town... maybe we may be able to find some new parts to upgrade Clips's processor. I wonder what they are guarding. If they were still down there intact protecting it, whatever there is should still be there. I am sure between myself, you, and Tula, we should be able to get whatever we find operational. Gargamel will help hold the robots back until we are ready for them."
In the mayor’s office Tula doesn’t really get into the conversation. She stand behind Charon and Hans with her toolkit hanging on her hip and hands them tools. Once, she reached out and stopped Hans before he cut a wire on a security system. ”Let me get this one. I saw that same brand of nonsense explode in someone’s face when we were picking salvage in Dallas.” Between her experience with the security system and knowing what tools they needed before they asked, the job was done in half the time.

Mr Fix It & toolkit = +3
repair 1d10!!+3: [9]+3 = 12
wild 1d6!!+3: [1]+3 = 4

Expert Demolitionist and Mr Fix It both reduce repair/defusing time with a raise
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

Charon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:43 pm Charon considers. "I, for one, think the idea of using the bunker as a marshaling area is a sound one. We can, of course, take steps to ensure its security, as well as making certain we are unlikely to be trapped beneath it. And in any case, while that work is being done, we should certainly make use of it as a secure storage facility." She eyes @Hans Greuber's prodigious loot-extraction results. "It would seem we are going to need some."

She considers for a bit, and then adds. "One thing--if we are using this town as an ongoing base of operations, our activities could ultimately draw foes here looking for us. Perhaps it might be in our interest to maintain goodwill by contributing a portion of our proceeds to the town's budget?"
"We could assign the town an equal share of any of us principals. It is my intention to make our income as high as possible, so they should quickly be rolling in the credits. With my proposal, the town would get equal pay as myself, so in that case it is in my interest to make their pay as high as possible. Maybe give the Black Company 2 Shares, the town 1, and the 7 of us each 1 share. This would make it an easy 10 way split until we get enough income to bring in some others."
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Charon »

Hans Greuber wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:26 am

"We could assign the town an equal share of any of us principals. It is my intention to make our income as high as possible, so they should quickly be rolling in the credits. With my proposal, the town would get equal pay as myself, so in that case it is in my interest to make their pay as high as possible. Maybe give the Black Company 2 Shares, the town 1, and the 7 of us each 1 share. This would make it an easy 10 way split until we get enough income to bring in some others."
Charon nods in comprehension. "That should do quite nicely, I would think."
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Ducky »

Thunder Duck… Not anymore.
The battle was pretty amazed-balls and if Ducky had eyes they would have peeked with interest. She sighed as she extended her altaran senses to try and survey the aftermath. Not for the first or last she thought of her protege Que, No doubt he would have made some ill timed joke about us all getting multiple raises and our dice exploding. She stifled a laugh .Ok girl, get the giggles out and time to rebuild and give these people comfort.

Psionics for task 1: Empathy “I feel you pain” 1d6!!: [5] = 5 1d6!!: [5] = 5
Faith for task 2 the cosmic bolt spot weld. 1d8!!: [4] = 4 1d6!!: [2] = 2

She found a few burn victims and sat with them a wile commiserating in what it felt like to be on fire. Drawing on her knowledge of passing through a sun she remarked,”You would like totally think it would hurt more than it does. But in the end being apart from it hurts the most ya know?”

Later as some indistinct blobs started to rebuild she noticed on a bit more dwarven than the rest. Hans!”H-breath! So like can I help you with the damage? Like I might not be able to see but you point my head in the right direction I could weld together cross beams like a champ.” Her lips pursed briefly as she was reminded briefly that those same words were once uttered by the ultimate evil dweeb.
As she welded she could not help but to carry on about her own damage bending @Hans Greuber’s ear, “So like, is it weird at all that you meet this guy out in the 3Gs, and he like has no ambition but is like super chill ya know? I causually tell him he should get more out of life and the next thing you know he’s taking galaxies over left and right. A real dweeb…”
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Wormy »

Wormy peeks over the rim of Jim's bowl when he hears a rustling and is startled to discover several townsfolk watching over him. He touches their minds with his mental connections to greet them, 'Hello! I'm Wormy. Nice to meet you. Are you meditating?'

They look between one another as if they're having their own private, wordless conversations then turn back to Wormy, 'Yes. Teach us.'

And
Faith 1d12+1: [9]+1 = 10
1d6+1: [2]+1 = 3
. While the others tend to the wounded, put out fires, Wormy begins healing Newport's spirit. He begins simple, teaching them how to properly meditate. Folks come and go, and Wormy tirelessly teaches them and watches over them. Townsfolk come and go, and some don't come back, but the original eight do.

Others need a kind word and a wiggly Worm to entertain them, and he obliges. He listens to their grief. He gives those who need it a kind word or even shares a lesson from the Mighty One. He even finds time one night to give Newport a small "fireworks" show.

His allies need his help, too. Wormy can't spend the entire time with the townsfolk, and when some of his new friends head down into the earth, Wormy joins them. He has a good eye and often feels danger before it strikes, so he's a perfect fit for
Notice d8+2: [3]+2 = 5
Wild 1d6+2: [4]+2 = 6
.
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »


Map
Map
31F92EE0-8B9D-4E48-BC2F-53A2A48FB9E0.jpeg (125.06 KiB) Viewed 882 times

Newport, Arkansas
The Job


Sir Redheart and his motley crew, the Crimson Guard gather in the town square as the Summoner/Shifter known as Viikate the Scythe prepares a ritual to dimensionally teleport them to their next destination. They await Sir Redheart who will be briefing the new guys and then joining them.

The gruff, hardened cyber knight, tossed the partial metallic faceplate from one of the demons back into a pile of metals that were being melted down to reinforce the recently constructed buildings in Newport.

Standing by his side, Akuji, his top lieutenant stood silently waiting. Sir Redheart inwardly smiled as he turned to look at her. Even now, after a full year of working with her his instincts to kill her raged. She was hundreds of years old, supposedly born before the coming of the rifts and a masterful combat mage. She was a Vampire. Pledged to him when he spared her life.

“Come.”

Redheart walked towards the newly reinforced Mayor’s office to meet with the team he’d assembled. The new black company. They had performed well. In fact he was surprised just how well they had done. He’d honestly thought unleashing the cybernetic demons on the town would have resulted in more death and damage.

“They might be too good Sir.”

Akuji stated, as if reading his mind. Redheart grunted in response.

Parked outside the Mayor’s office is a Mark 2 Mountaineer APC freshly painted black and grey with a company logo stenciled in white on its sides. Black Company Salvage. The transport had a decent cargo hold and room for this crew. The front plow gave it a tough look.

Stepping into the Mayor’s office he turned to Akuji and shook his head no. Her long black hair whirled as she spun away annoyed. The last thing he wanted was the Vampire in the room with the new crew. He’d only told her to come with him to mess with her anyway.

Chuckling the knight made his way into the room where the seven crew members waited.

Mayor White was waving bye to the new crew as Sir Redheart came in. Shaking hands with the mayor the knight offered kind words and friendly smiles.

Once the mayor stepped out Sir Redheart sat on a desk and addressed the seven.

“Congratulations are due. You all have done outstanding work. This town is very lucky you were here. I’m impressed. The loss of life is always a tragedy but thankfully you were able to minimize the losses. I’m equally surprised and impressed by the rebuilding efforts. So again, nicely done.

Okay. I asked you to come meet me here. I want to hire you. An … event occurred at Castle Refuge. Every member of the Legion on site is gone. Vanished. Gone gone. No one knows what happened. I was there with Lord Coake. It’s empty.

As far as the Cyber Knight’s know … there are no members of the Legion left. Another similar organization called the Future Brigade also suffered total … annihilation? The Brigade is missing too.

That’s the two most …. That’s bad. Lord Coake has temporarily assigned as many of his knights to guard the Castle as he can.

Here is the rub, the kick, the dirty news. The Legion had a prisoner hidden under the castle. Victoria Geist. She is some kind of God like being hell bent on slagging the universe. The Legion has had her in a constant state of being killed. She regenerates. So the cell she has been in continuously kills her. When Lord Coake and I got to the castle we found her prison empty.

There’s a lot more going on, Coake is hunting down a friend named Hudson and my group are going after another party, but I need you seven to head to the castle and figure out where Geist went. She must be stopped before she can… like I said, god like being, but she answers to something vile and much more powerful than her. Her goal is to bring it here.

Find her. Stop her. Coake will pay 1000 credits a day to each of you to find her. If you stop her great… by that I mean capture her or kill her, if you can. Otherwise get eyes on her and report her location to us at the castle. I believe she knows what happened to the missing. Killing or captured and Coake will reward you even more. But. First thing first. Track her down.

The APC out front is for you guys. I left a map of Arkansas in the APC. Don’t talk about working for the Legion either. You’re a salvage crew. That’s a pretty believable cover.

So. Find Geist. Start at the Castle. Questions?”


Black Company Salvage
BC||Salvager — Mark 2 Mountaineer APC
Size: 7 Large
Top Speed: 120 MPH
Toughnesses: 40 (20)
Crew: 2+8
Notes: ATV, ECC, MDC Armor, STS, Max Range: Nuclear
Weapon Systems: Medium Rail Gun is 3/5 of the mods, 1 load of 60 shots, and 1 mod for a Reinforced Ram... a "Cattle Catcher" on its front.
Cargo Space: An empty 5’×5’×5’ area (125 cubic feet) where items can be stored. For vehicles Size (Large) or bigger, each unused Mod slot grants this much cargo area. 5/5.



The road to Castle Refuge is relatively easy to follow. The roadway is hardened dirt. The APC rumbles across the road with ease. The warm morning is beautiful and the sun above shows it’s about 10 am.

The problem is about 10 miles out of Newport a solar eclipse casts the region into darkness for about 30 minutes. 1030-1100 am.

30 minutes of chaos. The distance between Newport and the Castle is only roughly 25 miles. The last 15 miles will prove to be the hardest.

Journey rules (stolen in part from Jon):

Step 1: Horror Factor lvl 2. The solar eclipse darkens the sky. A sense of a chill ripples down the spine. It’s as if it’s nighttime and it feels like you are being observed. The weather turns bad and the hard packed road suffers flooding and heavy rain and hail pound down in the darkness.

Make a fear check at -2. Succeed you are able to cope with the bizarre changes and darkness.

Fail: Your journey rolls suffer an additional -2.

Crit fail: same as fail, except you roll on fear table per standard rules. GM will work with you on the result. Roll for sidekicks.

  • You are passing by a Ley Line that runs adjacent to the river and dirt road: When activated on a ley line, double the Range and Duration of psychic or magic powers. Attack powers (such as blast, bolt, burst, and damage field) deal +2 damage, and defensive powers (such as barrier, entangle, and protection) gain +1 Toughness. Magic users double the PPE regained while resting on a ley line.
  • Add the Solar Eclipse: times 3 your PPE availability. Available for One Hour: The extra PPE is available for one hour from the start of the event.
  • However! The Ley Line is… odd. For unknown reasons the line has a more than usual white glow to it. Temperatures are roughly 15 degrees hotter with in 10 feet if the line.
  • Dynamic Backlash: Psychics and magic users are subject to Dynamic Backlash in areas affected by ley line energy, see Setting Rules in Savage Worlds.
  • Additionally!! Backlash occurs is you “cast” and roll any 1 or 2 on either die. Critical Failure! Will require 2 bennies to retry the roll.
  • Pulling Power Points from the line to fill your PPE etc up requires a AB roll that is subject to the above backlash issues above.



Step 2: roll a 1d4 (roll for sidekicks too) before you ask lol no bennies for this roll.
  • 1) Enemy: An enemy of your character has found the group! Could alternatively be some kind of entity. Make a vigor roll or suffer one wound! The enemies efforts hinder your task roll by -2. Golems are sidekicks for this.
  • 2) Strangers: The road is not as desolate as you had thought. A timely arrival of a stranger or a group of strangers in some manner help you in your task. Add +1 to your roll.
  • 3) Treasure! Something useful has been found in the wet and darkness. It provided a timely aid on your task. Roll 1d20 on the table of choice: ranged weapon, close combat weapon, or enchanted items. Plus the item in some fashion aids your task giving you a +2.
  • 4) Obstacle: something along the road makes it just that more challenging. -2 to your journey roll.
Step 3: Choose a leader for Navigation (Survival), Lookout (Notice), Piloting (Driving), Scout (Stealth). Character’s not taking the lead can roll any reasonable skill to support. Support rolls are not affected by additional modifiers on any lead roll. Support rolls can only add upto a +2 bonus. The most bonus a lead roll can gain from multiple support rolls is a +4. Sidekicks can roll support.

Navigation, Survival roll is made at -2 due to unnatural weather and darkness.
  • Success: The party is headed in the right direction, no ill effect.
  • Raise: The following Lookout, Pilot, and Scout rolls are all made at a +1 bonus.
  • Failure: The party gets all turned around. Vehicle crashes into mud sump and is stuck. Everyone takes a level of Fatigue from crash.
  • Critical Failure: The group heads in the wrong direction and becomes lost. The Navigator must make a successful Survival roll at a −2 penalty to reorient the party or following Lookout, Pilot and Scout rolls are at -2, lost and confused.
Lookout, Notice roll
  • Success: You keep a good watch and no encounters.
  • Raise: Navigation, Pilot and Scout rolls are at +1.
  • Failure: Failure means each member of the party must check Agility or suffer a level of Fatigue from Bumps and Bruises (or Vehicle Fatigue for those driving or in vehicles).
  • Critical Failure: As a failure, but the Agility checks are made at a –2 penalty and always result in Wounds.
Piloting, Driving roll is made at -2 for weather, lightning bolts blinding flashes and intermittent darkness additionally
  • Success: Takes 1 day to get to castle, have to stop for night due to hail and flooding (1 GM encounter cards drawn).
  • Raise: Takes 1/2 day to get to castle.
  • Failure: Takes 2 days to castle and you’re pretty sure a dimensional time thing has occurred (2 GM encounter cards drawn)
  • Critfailure: You travel for 2 days, and only make it half way to Castle. For sure you got caught up in a dimensional time anomaly. (2 GM encounter cards drawn). Additionally the vehicle takes a point of vehicle fatigue.
Scout, Stealth roll
  • Success: The party is forewarned of what lies ahead. GM picks one encounter card.
  • Raise: the party may draw one encounter card from the Action Deck and choose the result (see Encounters under Travel in Savage Worlds).
  • Failure: The GM draws two encounter cards from the Action Deck and chooses the result (see Encounters under Travel in Savage Worlds).
  • Critical Failure: Critical Failure to vehicle. Technical Difficulty. Roll d6+2 on Table. 1-3 Glitch. 4-5 Serious Problem. 6+ Severe Failure.

Regardless of the amount of encounter cards compil d, from all character rolls the max the GM will use is 4 over two days/nights of travel. I don’t want to get too bogged down traveling to Castle Refuge.

Thank you for waiting a extra day for this post. I know the journey part has a lot of rolls and bonuses and negatives to track. Probably unlikely I’ll use these rules often as I’m a mathematical “ungenious”. Chat with Sir Redheart if wanted. Then set off on your trip to Castle Refuge to investigate and determine how to track down Geist.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Action Stan »

Lots of rolls
Fear test
Spirit d10!!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Sp Wild d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Scene Modifier roll d4: [3] = 3
Ranged Table d20: [3] = 3
Driving Task,
Driving d6!!+4: [1]+4 = 5
Dr Wild d6!!+4: [11!!]+4 = 15
Agility to avoid Wormpocalypse
Agility d10!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Ag Wild d6!!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Benny to reroll
Agility Reroll d10!!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Ag Wild Reroll d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Benny to soak
Drive to soak d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5
Dr Wild to soak d6!!+2: [3]+2 = 5

At some point in the rebuild and recover process Stan goes to return the loaned Rifle to the sheriff who refuses the return or to be reimbursed for the weapon. "Son, y'all earned that and more these last few days, keep it and if ya must do more then spend that money you're fixin to give me here. Our weapon shop may be small but that man can tune a gun with the best of em. I know your dwarf pals good at it too but he does seem pretty busy. Also before y'all leave I'll get you my maps from my own patrols 'round here. I don't wander far but they'll help ya get a jump on your travels."

((Breifing))
When Redheart asks for questions Stan is quick to speak up, "God-like being sir? Sooo are there any special things we should or should not use against her? Any of you smart magic types have better questions because I've learned the hard way "god-like beings" require some damn good planning." It was a good tense moments so he sent some radio instructions to Clips ordering him to slowly circle in front of the group, moving his focus from Redheart to the team. a mostly successful maneuver marred at the end when the drone drifted backwards into the mountaineers wheel well, panicked and frantically ricocheted around there in for a few seconds before it found it's way out and casually resumed filming.

He's suitably impressed with the company ride but a little disappointed to learn he's the most qualified driver. "I was hoping for bikes but I'm guessing most of ya don't ride. Love the bike by the way, Tula. Looks like a newer Morganstern." Despite being more a hoverbike guy by his own words, Stan takes right to driving the massive machine. With the solid scouting and navigation tips even Wormies miscue doesn't set them off the frenetic pace he sets for long as Stan easily spins the mountaineer from a sideways slide to a downhill slalom, the trees they do clip made short work by the cowcatcher.

"Tula, please tell me you got that recorded on visual sensors, that would look so bitchin to cut between your feed and the trucks more first person roll." He asks as the massive ATV bursts back out of the ravine on the opposite side.
Hans Greuber wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:10 pm
I will be needing to fix up this APC. The secondary operator seat is not properly set up for Dwarves, the sensors do not have the proper software to deal with Ley Line Storms yet, the suspension was not optimized for our current weight load, and does Action Stan actually know how to drive?!? This will take a few hours to finish... more if we keep on with this abuse on this poor vehicle. Once we get to somewhere I can work on it, I will see what I can do with these shortages. Ooh, that bump looks to have hurt Action Stan... lets see what I can do to help.

Looking over at Action Stan, Hans smiles and gives him a thumbs up

"I'm OK over here... how are you doing over there?"
"Better now that we're clear of that ravine, sorry for the bumps. Pretty sure we only scuffed the plow a bit." Having gotten the hang of the hulking ATV he was starting to have fun. The dark and rain meant nothing to the trucks sensor suite which was feeding directly into his own enhanced sensory processors, making them an extension of his own senses. "This things actually pretty damn fun, I'll have to show ya how to drive it."
Ducky wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:52 pm Ducky was crouched low extending her senses toward the path before the APC. She had been trying to stay about a mile or so ahead of it. Her forhead was dripping with sweat, “By the three Gs…. Like just a bit farther. Almost there.” Her legs were a bit tired from the running, so a breather was welcome. She hit the coms, ”Path is clear for the next mile or so. Everything is like totally tripendicular.” She paused,“Stan like you seem like a guy, so like how would you feel if someone told you that if you applied yourself a little bit more you could get much more out of life? I mean like would that advise totally send you into a psychotic spirl?” She sighed wondering how it all went wrong.
The Altaran addressing him was a bit of surprise so he stammers a bit then replies "No, I'd be confused but not psycho about it. I'm doing what I was made to do and I love it. Helping people and making movies about it. As for your .. um friend, maybe he thinks that's what you want? Or he really wants to impress you. Or maybe he's doing it to be all "screw you if I wasn't good enough, I'll show YOU ambition", I dunno the guy so I can only guess."
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Wormy »

Notice (Critical Failure)
Fear Success, Critical Fail on the Notice task, +1 Wound to Wormy, +1 Wound to Jim
Spirit 1d8!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Has a Benny, Good Sir
Spirit 2 1d8!-2: [7]-2 = 5
Wild 2 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2

1d4: [2] = 2
Jim's 1d4: [4] = 4

Jim Athletics 1d6!: [3] = 3
Jim is the suck!
Notice 1d8!+3: [1]+3 = 4
Wild 1d6!+3: [1]+3 = 4
Wormy is the Suck-est!
Agility 1d6!-2: [5]-2 = 3
Wild 4 1d6!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Jim Agility 1d6!-2: [2]-2 = 0
Wormy keeps watch over his new friends as they set off on Sir Redheart's mission. He doesn't need to sleep, and he has a knack for seeing danger before it comes to pass, so it's a natural fit for the zembahk.

Things go pretty smooth at first. The path is well worn, the flora has been beaten back - obviously this is a trodden path. Once Newport is beyond the horizon, however, things change. Wormy has a vision of the Mighty One's Herald - a towering robot armor of red and blue shining through the dark of the eclipse.

Wormy sees it direct him towards another path and so the mystic trusts in the Mighty One and convinces the others to change course. This was a mistake. The pace slows to a bumpy, jarring crawl. Even Jim seems annoyed as it gets jostled with the rest of the Black Company.

The Herald soon appears before Wormy again, seemingly dissapointed that the Mighty One's disciple would misconstrue the message. A new path is pointed out, and it seems like it would put them back on their original course. Its eerily dark and everyone has grown tired of this path, or lack of one, so they course correct.

Once again, the direction of the Herald leads to disaster as the APC crashes into a well-hidden ravine made practically invisible by the current conditions. Distraught, Wormy looks around seeking a way out...when he sees the Herald again...except it's not the Hherald at all. It's the Deceiver! The Deceiver takes the form of a red and grey robot armor, and it stands against everything the Herald and the Mighty One represent.

Too late, unfortunately, for Wormy has already led the Black Company into the Deceiver's Trap.
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

Spirit at -2
  • Spirit: 1d6!!-2!!: [2]-2 = 0
    Wild: 1d6!!-2!!: [2]-2 = 0
    Result: 0 - Fail. -2 to all rolls.


Both Hans and Gargamel rolled Obstacles on a deleted post


Hans using Electronics (-2 for Obstacles, -2 for Fear, +1 for Machine Maestro so -3)
  • Electronics: 1d12!!-3!!: [6]-3 = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!-3!!: [5]-3 = 2
    Result: 3. Fail. No Help
Gargamel (-2 due Obstacles)
  • Notice: 1d8!!-2!!: [4]-2 = 2
    Result: 2. Fail. No Help.


I will be needing to fix up this APC. The secondary operator seat is not properly set up for Dwarves, the sensors do not have the proper software to deal with Ley Line Storms yet, the suspension was not optimized for our current weight load, and does Action Stan actually know how to drive?!? This will take a few hours to finish... more if we keep on with this abuse on this poor vehicle. Once we get to somewhere I can work on it, I will see what I can do with these shortages. Ooh, that bump looks to have hurt Action Stan... lets see what I can do to help.

Looking over at Action Stan, Hans smiles and gives him a thumbs up

"I'm OK over here... how are you doing over there?"
Last edited by Hans Greuber on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Ducky »

Not afraid, P-Breath Has arrived, Stealth Lead raise
Fear check has brave: 1d8!!: [6] = 6 wild 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Encounter check: 1d4: [1] = 1 Enemy, Splugorth raiding party -2
Stealth Lead: 1d8 1d8!!: [6] = 6 wild 1d6!!: [10!!] = 10 -2=8(raise)
Any questions? Like common Rheart! Before the journey Ducky does fire off a question or two to Readheart, “So like what’s Geist’s beef anyways? Like is she doing this for a new pair of boots, or like did she loose her boy friend and now she is going all cry baby on the world?” Perhaps the answers did not really matter, the opertunity to ask questions helped Ducky excersise her own demons.

While Ducky did want to sidle up to the man of action to share her insights about being trapped inside a tin can for days on end she insteaded hefted her gear and smiled curtly at the others, “So like I’ll go do my thang, and run jump climb outside. I should like be able to warn you off from any major dweebs ya know. Just like keep the radio handy.” She was pretty sure even on a barf ball like Earth the capable and even semi capable knew what a radio was.

It was going pretty well. She helped steer the APC past a group of angry hunters who were going on and on about some stone master that stole all their food. Then found the apc some timely cover when a pair of screaming coalition jets buzzed by going something like mach 3 heading north to blow some shit up. Then P-breath showed up.

Ducky was crouched low extending her senses toward the path before the APC. She had been trying to stay about a mile or so ahead of it. Her forhead was dripping with sweat, “By the three Gs…. Like just a bit farther. Almost there.” Her legs were a bit tired from the running, so a breather was welcome. She hit the coms, ”Path is clear for the next mile or so. Everything is like totally tripendicular.” She paused,“Stan like you seem like a guy, so like how would you feel if someone told you that if you applied yourself a little bit more you could get much more out of life? I mean like would that advise totally send you into a psychotic spirl?” She sighed wondering how it all went wrong.

From behind her a slimy voice chortled, “Still pining for the Emperor are we?” A massive tentacled monster riding atop a floating barg laughed at her. SPLUGORTH SLAVER! She stomached down the rising fear and quipped feeling like she knew exactly who this slaver was, “Palsactaradictius, now is that you? Like how are you P-breath?”

The slaver’s eight tentacles writhed as it laughed, “Oh oh oh… Ducky, if Splyncrynth was not paying me so well I would flay you alive and feast upon your flesh. Then and only then would I send a necklace fashioned of your bones to Emperor Fallstaff.”

Ducky cursed herself, Usually P=breath is less of a talker. His warrior women… Just as the thought crossed her mind Ducky found herself surrounded by ladies abet less dressed than she but that looked exactly like her. She muttered knowing her words would fail, “So like we don’t need to do this. P-breath can’t control you if you want freedom.” A sea of impassiveness was all that responded. Ducky drew her cosmic blade and motioned her attackers to bring it, soon the clang of swords and laser fire erupted in the forest. Ducky emerged far more tired than before her blade slick with blood, and her heart twinged morning the loss of a sister. She hit the comms ready for a nights sleep, ”Bring the vehicle through.”
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Humble »

Rolls and stuff called for
Fear Check 1d8!! or 1d6!! +4 to final result.: [18!!]+[4] = 22
Random Event 1d4: [3] = 3
3) Treasure! Something useful has been found in the wet and darkness. It provided a timely aid on your task. Roll 1d20 on the table of choice: ranged weapon, close combat weapon, or enchanted items. Plus the item in some fashion aids your task giving you a +2.

Humble does not have much for ranged weapons so lets see if he can get something good. Treasure 1d20: [16] = 16
"This weapon has an integral Vibro-Knife (see page 97) mounted bayonet-style
(Str+d8 Mega Damage, AP 8, Parry +1, Reach 1, Two Hands)—rifles only"
Humble was not much for driving or navigating and the vehicles were never really designed for someone of his mass. So as usual he chose to run along side of the vehicle. He could run for days without fatiguing and really thought nothing of running outside of the vehicle.
Iconic trait does not fatigue from physical exertion.


However while Humble himself was not much for navigating trails and spotting dangers, he was able to help the others find options. As they could come across obstacles that would normally require going miles around, Humble could simply carry the vehicle over the location, or in other locations destroy the obstacles by pummeling them into rubble to be driven over.

As the team moved along Humble noticed a spot ahead where metal was still burning. Coming up to the wreckage Humble say the bodies of dead gargoyles, and a few humanoids they tried to eat laying on the ground. As he picked through them, he found something interesting, one of the gargoyles must have had a fondness for lasers because he was in possession of a giant heavy duty laser rifle with a vibro-bayonet nearly three foot long. The creature must have had it custom made. Grabbing the weapon and the eclips Humble decided he was having a blast. As they traveled he would fire off at trees in their way, or use the vibro blade to chop things up. Even at the cost of efficiency Humble did not mind. He had not used a rifle in years and the joy of it was incredible. Each time he finished he would simply change out the e-clip and pass the last one back to be charge.
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Charon »

OOC Comments
Fear Check 1d6!!-2: [4]-2 = 2
Wild Spirit 1d6!!-2: [9!!]-2 = 7
Success, no Fear.

Circumstance 1d4: [3] = 3
3) Treasure! Something useful has been found in the wet and darkness. It provided a timely aid on your task. Roll 1d20 on the table of choice: ranged weapon, close combat weapon, or enchanted items. Plus the item in some fashion aids your task giving you a +2.
Enchanted Items 1d20: [8] = 8
This cunning pair of goggles speaks of a fashion that never goes out of style. But this eyewear is no mere adornment: your character’s Magic Optic System is a magical blend of form and function and a favorite accessory, see page 86.

Using Notice (-2 Scene Penalty, +2 Goggles bonus) to Support Tula. In addition, loaning Tula her own Goggles while she uses the MOS, getting her +2 to the Support roll.

Notice 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3
Wild Notice 1d6!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Success, +1 to Support!
Charon considers their situation--lacking a convenient cemetery, and wanting to avoid too much magic use in any case, she decides to help more directly--she takes to the sky, serving as overwatch and radioing down to @Tula whenever she spots landmarks to aid with navigation. The chaotic lighting is a bit unsettling, but nothing to disturb one who has traversed the Underworld.

One thing she notes, quite quickly--a wrecked and completely trashed hoverbike. Flying down to investigate, she discovers the body of the rider a few hundred yards away. She opts to risk a quick divination and determines that the late driver was a youth on his way to "Join the Legion." Zachary had apparently decided he wanted to be a hero to impress a girl. Charon takes a moment to bury him, performing the last rites of his faith; in thanks, his spirit informs her that she may keep his goggles--a TW gift from his father, handed down through the family line (of which he is--or rather, was--now the last).

She takes the gift solemnly and departs. Of course, it's a bit bemusing to realize the goggles are actually inferior forms of her own Auracles, but then she gets an idea. Flying back to the group, she gives Tula the Auracles--"A loan, you understand, since you cannot use Techno-Wizardry gear, but I would still like them back," and then she dons the gifted goggles, retaining most of the same functionality, at least, and then returns to her spotter duties. Both the spotting and the increased resistance to the warped lighting grant Tula a small benefit in her efforts to navigate through the surreal landscape created by the eclipse.
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Tula »

Action Stan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:35 pm "I was hoping for bikes but I'm guessing most of ya don't ride. Love the bike by the way, Tula. Looks like a newer Morganstern."
It’s hard to see under her ruddy, sunburnt complexion, but Tula’s cheeks flush a little at Stan’s complement of her hoverbike. ”Her name’s Piper. I bought her when I got home from my first tour, flush with combat pay. We’d watched Rise of the Empire close to a dozen times on that tour. I wanted a bike just like Morganstern.”
Action Stan wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:35 pm "Tula, please tell me you got that recorded on visual sensors, that would look so bitchin to cut between your feed and the trucks more first person roll." He asks as the massive ATV bursts back out of the ravine on the opposite side.
“You got it, Chief! I switched them to cinematic when I saw what a bang up job Clips was doing during the battle at Newport.” .

---

Thanks to the spiffy sunglasses Charon had lent her, Tula’s vision wasn’t really impeded when the sun suddenly began to dim as it was eclipsed. She took a moment to watch the strange crescent-shaped shadows on the ground under the trees. Suddenly everything was dark and it felt like chaos broke out. Rain started crashing in and the wind howled around them. Tula, who’d already stopped her hoverbike in the middle of the hardpacked road, just stood and looked around.

Fear -2
Brave +2 total = 0
Spirit 1d6: [2] = 2
Wild 1d6!!: [8!!] = 8
I forgot my !!, but it didn't matter. Woot! Raise No fear


”Fukking rain” She grumbled. She took a couple steps toward where the road ran close to a valley, the mud already squishing under her feet. Then she felt the wetness seeping into her left boot again.
”Of course I didn’t get that patched yet. What the fuk ever.” The dwarf stomped back to her hoverbike and activated the environmental controls on her suit just as the APC comes around the corner. She fires up the bike and pulls out in front of the APC, leading the way further into the valley.

Just as she’s been doing all morning, Tula radio’s instructions back to the driver. ”Stick close to the left side here. The road is disintegrating in this rain on the right hand side. We’ve got a few more klicks to cover before we need to get off this trail.”

Navigation-2
NG-S2 Survival -Compass/inertial mapper with a mirrored back for signaling; +1 Survival (navigation).
Nav assist from Charon +2, Total +1
Survival 1d8!!+1: [4]+1 = 5
wild 1d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4



----

1d4: [1] = 1


As she rounds the next turn in the road, the beam of her headlight barely cutting through the sunless gloom and rain, Something breaks out of the bushes on the right side of the row. Two men in standard CS uniforms stumble out onto the road. Tula breaks, fishtails and pulls the bike sideways in an effort to control the slide. If it had been on wheels she’d have had to lay it down. As it was, she managed to skid to a stop before hitting them or sliding down into the flooded ditch. She wasn’t sure if her hover jets threw a wave of mud over the soldiers or if they were already covered in mud when they stepped out. Even through their basic flimsy helmets she could see the panic on their faces, their eyes wide and white. One screamed, raising his gun and pulling the trigger without bothering to aim. The other scrambled backwards and fell in his haste.

”Coalition on the road! I repeat, Coalition on the road!” Tula screeched into her radio as she struggled to maneuver her bike back to facing the enemy. The guns were better at hitting something the bike faced head on. She could hear the rumble of the APC coming up behind her and suddenly worried that Stan wouldn’t be able to stop before running them all over. She gunned the throttle, pulling the bike up higher off the ground and circling again. When Tula finally cleared the height of the APC and aimed her headlight back to the road, she was just in time to see the two CS soldiers sliding down the little ravine on the left hand side of the road. Their departure from the road caused a little landslide of mud and they rode it on their backs into the gathering waters at the bottom.

The APC, Stan still going full tilt, splashed past her and pulled to a halt 20 meters down the road.

“Coalition?! Where?” @Action Stan demanded.

“Gone over the edge. They’re in the river by now. Do you think we should look for more? They don’t normally travel in twos like that.”

The sun started to come out from behind the moon, but the skies were still dark with rain clouds. The group spent almost an hour scouring the area for signs of a raiding party, but found nothing. Even the trail the two men had taken through the woods had been obliterated by the rain. Tula would have thought she’d imagined the men, except for the recording of them on her visual sensors. Finally they all climbed back into the APC or took to the skies, extra wet and muddy for their efforts.
Last edited by Tula on Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »



Success on Navigation.
Crit Fail on Notice.
2 Raises on Piloting.
Raise on Stealth.

7 Successes and a Critical Fail Notice.

One bennie to Everyone, because I love how much effort you each have put into your posts. Amazing. Thank you.

Incoming GM post.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »


Castle Refuge, Arkansas

25 miles from Newport to Castle Refuge. What should not have been is. Nearly a whole day’s travel as multiple times the group is turned around and lost for a while in the rain and dimensional anomalies.

Eventually the Black Company Salvage APC rumbles up to the front of the Legions castle. The APC is covered in drying mud and coated in filth.

The two Cyber Knights standing guard at the castle side eye each other than watch you as you approach. When Tula pulls up next to the APC, the taller knight motions to turn off the vehicles. Taking a step closer to you all he states: ”In Sir Gary Newman. The Legion castle is under Lord Coake’s protection. Turn back with haste. Nothing to see here, move on.”

Upon learning you are the group hired by Lord Coake and Sir Redheart, Sir Newman nods and motions for the other knight to move out of your way.

”You can park right at the castle doors. I sincerely hope you are able to determine what happened here. Good luck friends.”



Investigating the Castle
The castle is empty. No sign of life anywhere.

Darkness falls as you approached the castle of refuge. The moon winked from behind the curtain of grey clouds. The air had a cold chill to it. The oak trees that dotted the approach to Castle Refuge swayed slightly in the north easterly breeze. The Castle over a short time had become a beacon of Hope. Heroes from all over flocked to its banner. A small make shift encampment had settled around the castle housing an overflow of personnel. There was even an evening hangout and bar called the Light House. Patrols, called Castle Guard, regularly kept watch near the surrounding lands. On any given night the lights from the castle and encampment could be seen from at least a couple miles away. Not now.

There were no lights, the patrol that would have meet anyone coming up to the castle did not check in. The surrounding encampment was empty at first glance. No vehicles, no people, no life. Castle Refuge was likewise still, silent, and dark. A soft barely detectable hiss was coming over the Castle Refuge emergency frequency.

Two lone Cyber Knights stood guard over what seemed to be a graveyard missing it’s bodies.

A field of wreckage awaited you at the gates of the castle. No less than six glitter boys, half a dozen samsons, and 6 various robot power armors were lying in ruins, burning, and slagged. Although there are no bodies. The cool air has caused a low level fog to roll around the castle’s exterior effectively forming a ring around it. At first glance the battlements seemed empty. The castle’s main door is wide open, its hinges broken as if battered by something heavy. The motor pool hanger at the side entrance of the castle is also open, and the vehicles all gone. The castle stood dark, a few scorch marks and some of its MDC walls are missing chucks of material, but really it was no more than moderate damage. One question floats to the forefront of your consciousness, Where is everyone.

Sir Redheart told you that at the top of the castle was a conference room where the bosses met. At the back of the room was a secret door that led to the under castle prison where Victoria Geist was kept.

Sir Redheart related to you a story of him and Lord Coake arriving at the castle after being summoned by Elle of Owls:


Yes some of this is out of character knowledge. But Redheart tells you the following story in essence before you leave Newport.


Elle of Owls escorted Lord Coake and his lieutenant, Sir Redheart, through the empty council meeting area to the secret tunnel that lead to the secret basement under the castle. Elle looked at the empty seats and felt a great loss. Everyone in the castle had mysteriously disappeared. The only members of the Legion alive as far as she knew were and SET teams out and about. Everyone who had been here was gone. Chance was she had been at a nearby town talking to their leaders. Upon her return there was no one left. As far as she knew, she was the last surviving council member.

The underground basement, subterranean Ley Line and the secrets kept hidden away in the underground area were only know of by a very selective few.

With the Cyber Knight Sir Redheart accompanying them, he would now be in the know. Elle was worried about adding yet another person to those who knew but Lord Coake trusted the Knight and had stated the Knight would be in charge of putting the plan together. Elle wasn’t sure what he meant quite yet. With everyone in the Legion gone or away she had called upon her friend Coake.

Elle thought for just a moment she heard the old Lord of the Cyber Knights grumbling something about Victoria. Elle reflected that Lord Coake had been against keeping Victoria Geist’s body locked up under the castle. He had wanted to destroy her forever. The council had decided the body was to be kept locked up.

Elle supposed he’d been right. As the three stood before the destroyed doors to Geist’s cell she marveled at the destruction. Powerful technology and magic had been used to secure the cell. Large claws had torn the mega damage metal doors and walls leaving deep cuts.

Coake grumbled. Sir Redheart placed his left had on the deep cuts. Elle looked into the dark cell. An evil seemed to emanate outward from within.

Redheart shook and nearly dropped to his knees. Coake grabbed ahold of the man and held him upright.

Redheart groaned then spoke quietly.

“Geist’s body was taken by … Fell? Looking on him hurts…”

“Steady man.”

Elle caught the fear in Coake’s voice as he reassured Redheart. Her stomach turned inside out and she felt weak. If Lord Coake was frightened…

“Lord Coake, I see a massive dragon. Daxon something, not real name but….”

Sir Redheart shook violently in Coake’s grasp. Shaking his head Redheart let the vision go. Standing on his own the Knight still shook a little.

“He’s got her body. He’s got access to some bizarre magic-technology and he’s mad as hell. I couldn’t hold the vision any longer I’m sorry.”

Lord Coake glanced at Elle then back to his Lieutenant.

“Is Daxon connected to … to everyone missing?”

Sir Redheart shuttered then replied: “I saw no connection. But, maybe. Maybe no.”

Lord Coake turned to look at the last leader of the Legion, possibly it’s last member?

“Once again the Legion’s dirty laundry can’t be exposed. The only creature I know that could stand a chance fighting Daxon is one Hudson Blackwell, wherever he is! They’re either brothers or practically brothers. Both dragons anyway. I understand why you called us. With no force of your own, what can you do. Geist being known about or her body disappearing from secret cells under the castle and what not. Not good for your image is it? Under any circumstances.”

The three start walking back up the stairs away from the gloom under the castle.

Elle looked over at the leader of the Cyber Knights. “Lord Coake? I don’t know what to do. I have no way of getting information or fixing this.”

That grumble again, then, “I will have Sir Redheart form a new Black Company. I have access to Blackwell’s horde, we’ll find things with that…. Nevermind that… all you need to know m’lady is we will recruit some heroes who can take the job the Legion cannot be seen doing. I will personally find Blackwell. The Black Company will start looking for answers. Starting in the remains of Gloom.”

Sir Redheart hesitated then asked: “The Gloomscree?”

Lord Coake nodded.

“Yes. The aftermath of the CS nuking. I know it’s an irradiated zone. Where better for Daxon to hide? If not him. There may be clues that are here. Sir Redheart I need you to assemble a team and track down Daxon. Learn as much as you can and find him. Once I have Hudson… well, then hopefully he will help us fight Daxon and we can stop him before he ruins us all.”

Sir Redheart nodded and shook hands with his leader.

“Yes m’Lord. Ma’am a pleasure. G’bye”

As Lord Coake grumbled, Sir Redheart walked away, Elle thought about her own plans and how Lord Coake wouldn’t be happy about what she had in store for the Legion, or what she knew about why everyone was gone, it was no coincidence that she’d been away when things befell the castle, no, not in the least, she would have to be very careful.



As you investigate the castle you learn details on what happened at the castle and where Geist went. In your post please describe how you figure it out. Calling on ghosts, computer logs, deductions from left behind clues?

You tell me. What’s your method of investigation?

This post is you wandering the empty halls of the castle and trying to figure out what happened here.

Give me one skill roll to determine how well you figure things out. A Success will get you one bit of info. Any number of raises will get you several bits of information.

Basically this is RP time and investigation time, I’ll tell you what you learn in next post.

Next GM post will detail exactly what each of you learn from the investigation.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Charon »

OOC Comments
Starting:
1/3 Bennies
+1 Benny
Spellcasting 1d12!!+1: [9]+1 = 10
Wild Spellcasting 1d6!!+1: [3]+1 = 4
One Raise.
2.3 Bennies
Charon, upon hearing what Redheart had to say, and seeing the devastation of the Castle, considers her options gravely. "My first order of business, I think, is to determine if this is going to be a rescue mission, or one of vengeance."

With that, she begins walking the empty halls, and opens her eyes and ears to the Dead, asking one simple question, at first--"How many of you have crossed over in the last [time]"" It's an elegant solution, really. If almost no one died during the fight, then they have been taken away--rescue. If this was a slaughter that then destroyed the corpses--vengeance.

This, once answered, will be followed up with, "Who among you is the most recent?" Even if this fight was mostly a horrific abduction, she suspects that at least one or two individuals, seeing what happened to their peers, would have opted for an honorable death. She needs the one who was here at the last, to find out as much as possible.

Once she finds that most recent deceased person, the questions come faster, more regular.

"Who attacked the Castle? What did they use? Do you know what happened to the inhabitants, and if so, what was it? Do you know who breached the cell of Victoria Geist, and how?" Other questions will follow these, no doubt, but it is a beginning, at least.
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Tula »

The party quietly goes their separate ways when the vehicles are parked. Something about the desolation of this place demands a respectful silence. There are no bodies, so it isn’t the quiet of a mausoleum. It’s more like a shrine. Tula has seen enough grieving parents holding spaces in stasis for soldiers who will never come home to recognize the feeling. The truth is that it’s a crime scene, one that has already been spoiled by a dozen people looking for answers.

While her teammates call on the dead or try to hack into security cameras, Tula wanders the halls and rooms. She is a professional looter. It isn’t something she’s proud of, but sometimes what you find after a battle is all the pay your army can afford to give you. She knows the kinds of places where people stash their treasures. She knows the kinds of places that are most likely to be searched and those that haven’t. She tries to observe the patterns of those that moved through these rooms before her. The rooms who’s doors weren’t locked had signs that the original occupants just left in a hurry. Nothing in those rooms was secured or stashed. The rooms with broken locks would be where occupants had time to hide things they considered valuable.

Tula found one such room with a few artifacts pointing to a child’s room. The usual disarray of a formal search littered the floor, but under the bed, a secret compartment lay open and empty, but also undamaged. Someone skilled had found something here, but it wasn’t the organized force who’d ransacked the room first. (This is the room Cass found the radio in)

Further down the echoing halls, Tula took her time to go through offices and conference rooms too. She looked for paper files and for things stuck under drawers. She also looked at the things that were just left out on the desks. When someone is running for their life, they don’t always lock up the sensitive documents. She knew she wouldn’t find the answers while they searched. She could only hope that she would be able to bring some useful clue back to the others when they reconvened. Perhaps this time being a professional looter would bring something valuable to the dead instead of taking it from them


thievery 1d8: [1] = 1
wild 1d6!!: [1] = 1
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
User avatar
Humble
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 202
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:37 pm
Location: Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Humble »

Humble finds moving through the Castle easy, as he looks around for interesting things or something to share with the bosses. Over his radio he communicates to the other. "What am I looking for? I do not even see bodies, its like they all got bored and left."

He did not know what they where looking for, but maybe this version of @Hans Greuber had the skills needed to add a video feed to his nanite armor, because everything looks empty to Humble as he moved through through the empty palace and surounding city.

Notice 1d4!! or Wild 1d6!!: [3]+[13!!] = 16
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Ducky »

Ducky nodded at the Introductions. The errie empty castle was off putting at the least. The fallen cosmos knight whispered getting into the creepy vibe mood, “ Ducky boss here. So like where are the bodies? Like I totally get some dweeb coming in and taking out the castle defenders but like shouldn’t there be dead bodies or something?” She breathed a burst of foggy warm air and cupped her hands, “Gag me with a spoon, this is like totally uncool.”

Seeing Tula take off like she knew what the deal was Ducky jogged behind her stretching her legs a bit as they were cramped a bit from the drive. She swung her arms in exaggerated motions and drove her knees high into the chest. Best get limber before some kind of baddy surprises us.

As she was jogging and skipping around inside the empty castle she did occasionally reach out with her radar like senses just to see if something unexpected might be found. Like what kind of clothes did these earth we wear? Did they keep personal effects around? She had always had a fascination for clothes and so she definitely poked around a few wardrobes to get a sense of what was popular these days on this dust ball.

Notice something unexpected, 1d4!!: [9!!] = 9 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Total 10 with her +1

Was Tula her partner in crime? What did she even look like? Tula seemed like one of those average blobular shapes that her senses would pick up from time to time. Although their was something distinctly spicy about her form. While rooting around in a dresser that had a picture of a quick flex hanging on a nearby wall. Ducky called over to @Tula ”Tula, is this your first time on Earth? It is definitely mine. I needed a place to hide out for a bit. This total dweeb was chasing me through the 3GS in a different uni and like everywhere I went there he was. Not with flowers or a cool outfit, but like with an evil gleam in his eye that meant harm ya know? So like my Gemini friend Voss ported me to the last place anyone would think to look…. Earth… Well this Earth.” Ducky bit back the rising bile at just the mention of Earth, “Bleh, like totally threw up in my mouth.”. Ducky’s voice changed a bit as she kept messing up the dresser drawers feeling everything with her cheek and fingers. In a bit more dreamy tenor she said, “ Like you ever fall in Love Tula?”
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Tula
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:52 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Tula »

Ducky wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 amSeeing Tula take off like she knew what the deal was Ducky jogged behind her stretching her legs a bit as they were cramped a bit from the drive. She swung her arms in exaggerated motions and drove her knees high into the chest. Best get limber before some kind of baddy surprises us.

Was Tula her partner in crime? What did she even look like? Tula seemed like one of those average blobular shapes that her senses would pick up from time to time. Although their was something distinctly spicy about her form. While rooting around in a dresser that had a picture of a quick flex hanging on a nearby wall. Ducky called over to @Tula ”Tula, is this your first time on Earth? ... Like you ever fall in Love Tula?”
Tula side-eyed the strangely beautiful woman as she ran up beside her and started talking. Realizing quickly that Ducky needed no reply from her to keep talking, the dwarf mostly just grunted responses. Tula felt like she was actively trying to track the movements of beings through the castle, while Ducky was just touching everything. She’d taken a long look at Ducky when they’d sat around a campfire in Newport, but now she watched how Ducky interacted with the world without eyes. It was becoming apparent that everything on this planet was strange and new to her, so how else would Ducky interact with it besides touching everything. After a while, Tula started to randomly hand her things that would have different shapes and textures just to see how the woman would react to them.

As they walked, Tula unconsciously lead the way, tugging at Ducky’s elbow when the woman didn’t follow her in a door or around a corner. If Ducky didn’t follow, Tula went on without her, intent on her own method of investigation. It was more than an hour of tandem searching and rifling through personal belongings before Ducky finally asked her actual direct questions.

”I was born on Earth. My parents came through a rift.” The dwarf said from across the room when Ducky paused for breath. She plucked up a suede jacket hanging on the wall and pressed it into Ducky’s hand. ”Try this on. It looks like your size. And that thing you just put against your face is a scarf. Put it around.. Nope. Not that one. That’s an undergarment. Love? Yeah. Once or twice. It didn’t work out like in the movies. I don’t think our “Life of Action”, as Stan would call it, is cut out for love. Too much to distract you and too much to lose.”

Tula didn’t wait for an answer and stomped off into the hall and onto the next room.
Tula Embersnow
Pace: 5; Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(5); Strain: 6
Fatigue 1/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 5/3

Edit Signature
User avatar
Action Stan
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:06 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Action Stan »

Notice for task roll
Notice d8!!+6: [1]+6 = 7
Wild d6!!+6: [4]+6 = 10
Clips notice to support d8!!: [3] = 3
While he does feel a little disrespectful Stan can't help but feel what a great set the castle is as he drives along it's walls and into the courtyard mapping everything out before he begins really looking for intel. He tries to think of how his old pal Asher would approach the situation and he begins a methodical examination. Starting from the front gate he logs damage to them and the surrounding walls, looking for any indication of their angles of impact or any telltale signs that would identify what kind of weapons were used.

When he thinks he has enough data to accurately deduce where the attackers were he then heads to that area to look for any signs they may have left or any indication where they may have gone.
Action Stan
Pace: 6; Parry: 9; Toughness: 12 base/15(2) in body suit/23 (8) in body suit and armor; Strain: 2/16
Fatigue 0/3 Wounds 0/3
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Ducky »

Ducky watched Tula leave while she clutched the suade jacket and scarf. Have all Earther’s let go of love? Common girl this world can’t be that bleak… If it is I am sure Que would say time to re-roll… Not for the first time nor the last Ducky wondered what kind of backwaters barf bag Voss had deposited her in. Grabbing a few things that felt interesting including the underoo head gear she took off after her touchy feely friend Tula.
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

Repair (+2 due Mr. Fixit, +4 due Armor, +1 due Machine Maestro so +7 Total)
  • Repair: 1d12!!+7!!: [5]+7 = 12
    Wild: 1d6!!+7!!: [5]+7 = 12
    Result: 12 - Success with 2 Raises... as well as 12% of the base value for the wrecks he salvages?!?

Healing Gadget (Novice, No Penalty)
  • TW: 1d12!!: [4] = 4
    Wild: 1d6!!: [16!!] = 16
    Result: 16 - Success with Raise. Healing Gadget with 15 PPE.
Relief Gadget (Novice, No Penalty)
  • TW: 1d12!!: [6] = 6
    Wild: 1d6!!: [3] = 3
    Result: 6 - Success. Relief Gadget with 10 PPE.
Teleport Gadget (Seasoned, -1)
TW: 1d12!!-1!!: [1]-1 = 0
Wild: 1d6!!-1!!: [4]-1 = 3
  • Bennie Reroll
    • TW: 1d12!!-1!!: [2]-1 = 1
      Wild: 1d6!!-1!!: [4]-1 = 3
Result: 3 - Fail.


Well... I am thinking that the sensors on the various suits of Power Armor out there will be a gold mine for what happened... and if I should come across anything of value from the wreckage, that is all the better for us. While I have the time, I should also pre-program some nanite hives for later use.

"@Humble, can you help Gargamel with some of the heavy lifting with these suits of Power Armor, please?"

Using Gargamel as a mobile forklift, Hans goes from suit of Power armor to the next. Using his Universal Energy to Matter Converter where needed to fix the computers enough to recover their sensor data... as well as any especially valuable parts he can find from the wreckages.

With enough charge and time, I might even be able to salvage one or two intact suits from what I can salvage from the wreckages. With these suits starting at about a million credits each, that would be a good start for the treasury of the Black Company. Most people don't worry about the bottom line when starting a merc company. One MUST ALWAYS think of keeping the company in the credits, or they can fall apart like the Anvils did.
Last edited by Hans Greuber on Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
User avatar
Wormy
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Wormy »

Place Holder
Wormy, Zembahk Expert Blaster Mystic
Pace: 5(d4); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 7
  • Uncanny Reflexes: -2 to be attacked and +2 to evasion when aware.
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Arcane Marksman: If the caster doesn't move in a turn and activates no more than a single bolt or similar damage dealing power as her first action, she may add a +1 bonus to her Arcane Skill roll, or ignore up to 2 points of penalties from Called Shots, Cover, Scale, or Speed.
  • Bizarre Physiology: Zembahk physiology gives a −4 penalty to Healing checks. Compatible medical supplies/services cost quadruple listed price.
  • Champion: +2 damage vs. supernaturally evil creatures.
  • Cosmic Confluence: Freely convert between PPE and ISP for activating powers. These converted PP must be spent immediately.
  • Your hero can sense when something bad is about to happen. When rolling for Surprise (page 108), he adds +2 to his Notice roll to act in the first round. With a raise, he starts the encounter on Hold.
    In other situations not covered by the Surprise rules (a sniper shot, pit trap, poisoned drink, etc.), Danger Sense gives him a Notice roll at −2 (or +2 if a Notice roll is usually allowed) to detect the hazard and take appropriate action. If this was an attack and the hero makes his Notice roll, the foe doesn’t get The Drop against him.
    : Notice roll at +2 to sense ambushes or similar events.
  • Low Light Vision: Ignore penalties for Dim or Dark illumination.
  • Spiritual Awareness: Wormy senses supernatural, evil, ethereal, and energy beings, and any beings using invisibility within line of sight with Notice (Alertness applies).
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 2/2
PPE: 20/20; PPE: 10/10; ISP: 25/25
Bennies: 2/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »


Investigating the Castle
  • Raise:

    Ducky acquires several items of clothing and a warm bracelet made of silver that ripples with a light energy that the Altarian woman can sense. Holding it against her wrist Ducky feels her awareness expand.

    Sonic Bracelet
    - Wearing this silver bracelet grants a +2 to Notice Rolls.

    As she moves through the castle Ducky chats up Tula until at some point they become separated. There are no signs of life or any dead in the castle. It’s just empty.

    Alone she arrives at the top of the castle. Some of the others are there too. There is a conference room with hidden doors, left open revealing a set of stairs downward to the secret prison center under Castle Refuge.



  • Raise:

    Hans and Humble pile a stack several salvageable items.
    (20k base) (No suits of power armor are able to be mixed into one suit, the deviation is massive)

    While fiddling with some radio equipment he sees a head sitting by the radio. Poking at the gruesome thing causes it to pop open and ooze.

    Disgusting as this may be Hans sees a recording device in the head. The device, once cleaned up, can be watched.

    There are several recordings that can be watched. Of interest are the ones that show an army of hundreds of the same kind of creatures that the Black Company fought in Newport gathering at a location that looks exactly like castle Refuge except there is no castle. The metal flesh monsters are prepared for battle and the camera pans up to the sky then clicks off.

    Another video shows what looks like six of the creatures and camera man headed into a vault and blowing up heavy doors. As the camera moves into the room the video feed ends.

    Hans notes another odd thing in the head. Super advanced tech. A micro fusion bomb is in the head. With a little fiddling Hans has a new bomb.

    Micro Fusion Block (size of a grape)
    - Built in timer. Damage: 8d10 MD small blast templet.

    There are no signs of life or any dead in the castle. It’s just empty.

    Alone he arrives at the top of the castle. Some of the others are there too. There is a conference room with hidden doors, left open revealing a set of stairs downward.


  • Raise:

    Humble wanders the halls of the castle. Twice he passes roving patrols of Cyber Knights.

    Apparently they are not just outside. They are inside too.

    Helping Hans out for a while keeps him busy for a bit but eventually Humble started exploring the empty castle again. Near the destroyed main blast doors the big fella shimmies between blasted and bent doors to get back inside. As he does, he knocks one door over. As the door toppled Humble sees a small cat seemingly walk through the wall and meow.

    ”Next time you’re in New Troker big guy, come say hi. Ask for Sammy.”

    With that the cat wanders through the fallen door and is gone. Looking under the door Humble sees the cat is gone. There is a golden color NG-57 pistol there but nothing else.

    Eventually Humble arrives in the top conference room with most of the others.

  • Raise:

    As the Psychopomp opened her inner self to the dead she was momentarily startled by the absolute silence. The halls of Castle Refuge are dead silent. Actually, more silent than dead silent. Unnaturally silent and empty. Until it wasn’t. The force that wriggled its inky astral form into Charon’s mind was violent and violating enough that she needed to steel her nerves (Roll a Fear Roll at -4).

    A icy painful voice invited Charon to die.

    L̵̺̄ě̴͖t̸̹̕ ̷̦͌ỷ̷͎ô̶̫u̸͖͌r̵͛ͅ ̴̌ͅl̵͎̀i̴̝͠f̷͓̆e̶̼̓ ̵͖̚e̷͓͗n̶̪̏d̴̯͘ ̸̞̋ä̵̻n̷̠̉d̵͓͊ ̵̥͒I̴̢̕ ̶̡͌ŵ̷̜i̸̪͒l̶̡̚l̶̄͜ ̵̪̿g̵͇̐ŗ̴̛ả̷̰n̶̘̎t̵͈́ ̸̀͜y̵͇̑o̴̝͆u̸͕̇ ̸̲̈u̶͍͝n̵͎͠l̷͕͘i̷̟̐m̶͇̋i̴̾͜ṭ̵̍e̴̘͋d̷̳̈́ ̷͕͘e̶̢̐x̸͍̿i̴͇̽s̵̭͌t̸̺̊ē̵̳ņ̵̍c̴͖͒ę̶͛.̷̘͝ ̵̢̍A̵̝͋b̸̘̈r̴̲͘ä̶̠́ẍ̸̱́l̷̪͋i̸͔̕d̶͓̚o̸̪̾ń̶͚e̸̲͂ ̸̡̎c̷͖̈a̸̖͐ĺ̶̩l̸̘̀s̸̮͊.̶̘̅ ̶̫̾D̷̬̐ị̸̈́ẽ̸ͅ.̶̢̔ ̷̦̽N̴̦͝o̶̪̐w̸̙̎.̸̤̾ ̶̛͜

    Disturbing as the contact is it ends abruptly and things go silent again. There are absolutely no bodies or dead in or around the castle. Charon gets the feeling that had their been a cemetery in the area those bodies and souls would be missing too.

    Whatever happened here, the end result is everyone is gone.

    Note: after this Fear Check if Charon ever has to roll on the Fear Table again she gets to add a -2 to the table roll. Nothing really compares to the terror of the creature that just assaulted her senses.

    Finding your way to the top of the castle eventually you are now with some of the others looking at the stairs that lead under the castle.
  • Raise:

    Stan and Clips document the empty castle. Finishing up in the tallest portion of the castle the man of action sees the council room is a mess. Overturned tables and chairs. The large tapestry is torn off the back wall. Open doors gape wide open leading into a normally hidden set of stairs that lead down into the darkness. The stairs are the stairs Sir Redheart described to the Black Company as the one that led under the castle to the hidden prison cell. A flickering light in the stairwell blinks annoyingly. Tapping on it fixes it and the light stays on. With better illumination Stan sees a black bag tossed in a corner of the stairwell. The bag has all the tell tale signs of being well used and is a tactical backpack. It’s mostly empty but there is a patch on the outside of the bag that says Future Brigade. Nothing of real use other than the pack itself.

    After considering the video footage he has recorded, Stan notes that the attackers seem to have dropped out of the sky and attacked.


  • Crit-Fail: Tula wanders the castle occasionally chatting with Ducky. Looking through nooks and crannies, personal rooms and briefing rooms. Nothing of value or revealing is located. She does get a sense that someone else has already searched the castle, after the disappearance and before the Black Company arrived. Maybe the Cyber Knights guarding the castle?

    After a fruitless search Tula feels frustrated and has no clues on what happened.
  • No Roll: life got busy.







    The air down here is musty and dank. The stairs lead down to under the castle. There are two cells here. One cell is open and unused. The other is empty too but it’s door is blown off. A lot of explosive material was used. But other than doing cosmetic damage it looks like some very large claws ended up tearing the door off.

    In the cell is a stone bench, a small drain and nothing else.

    The stairs have lighting but the cell doesn’t.


As day turns to night the members of the Black Company are welcome to eat dinner with the Cyber Knights. Both Sir Newman and Sir Hedge apparently are experienced cooks and offer a warm meal to you all. The knights have a cook fire set up by the entrance to the castle. Sir Newman talks about Geist as you eat. He tells you he was there when Lord Coake arrived at the Cyber Knight monastery with a small black canister with the ashes of the woman in it. Everyone who came within sight of it felt ill at ease.

“Was sworn to silence to never tell anyone the canister was under the Castle. Don’t suppose that matters now. As it’s gone and she’s undoubtedly risen. Glad Lord Coake has you all going after her. My bet is she returned to her old stomping ground’s in Gloom. Yup tha…. Eh… what?”

Sir Newman stops talking when he sees your faces.

Turning to look at the castle he sees what you all see. Nothing.

The castle is gone. Not a stone remains.

Castle Refuge is simply gone.


The area of half a mile around where the castle once stood has the following effect: Magic is massively reduced in power and effectiveness. All PPE pools are cut in half, and all magic effects (including defenses and damage) are reduced by half. Anything that doesn’t have a “half effect” is cast at −4.

You are free to decide what you want to do next and talk in character as you please. I’ll keep my eye open if you talk to the knights I’ll post responses.



EDIT ….

If you want to you may roll an Occult roll at -2 and if you get two raises I’ll give you insight on how the castle disappeared. As none of you are Shifters or Line Walkers …. Seems fair to me. Granted I’m mean so…

Additionally information PM’d to Ducky.


GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Charon
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:55 pm

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Charon »

OOC Comments
Starting:
43/49 PPE
2/3 Bennies
Fear -4
Fear 1d8!!-4: [6]-4 = 2
Wild Spirit 1d6!!-4: [5]-4 = 1
Try 1 Benny
Fear reroll 1d8!!-4: [7]-4 = 3
Wild Fear 1d6!!-4: [13!!]-4 = 9
Holy Carp, it worked!

Mana Drain:
17/23 PPE
1/3 Bennies
Charon frowns at the silence. Even the dead spirits that must have been here before this happened have been scoured clean? What sort of--

And then the Voice makes itself known, horrifying and ancient, echoing through her psyche. For a moment, all she can do is stand in stark terror. Then she calls out, "False Death! You are nothing but a demon given delusions of grandeur! Someday, you will end, and until then, you have no claim over me!" It's quite possible some of her peers heard her voice, filled with equal parts panic and defiant strength, echoing through the abandoned halls; she cares not, too busy sagging from relief as the presence departs.

She slumps against the wall for a moment, then, feeling steel form in her resolve, proceeds to join the others. She does investigate below grounds, shaking her head at the visible signs of power in the cell's breach, but not particularly surprised.

Once they return to eat, she listens half-attentively as Newman discusses how to proceed, then blinks when the castle disappears, as surely as the ghosts and corpses had earlier. Then she just sighs, notes the draining from both herself and her tools, and shrugs. "Gloom, you said, Sir Newman? I've heard of the battle there, but I've never been there myself. Have you a map we can use?"
Current Stats
Stat/block
Agility d4, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+1), Vigor d6
Pace: 8/d6; Flying Pace: 12/d6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(7); PPE: 15 (+10 Staff) (+24 Phylactery)
Athletics d4; Common Knowledge d4; Fighting d4; Intimidation d4; Language (American) d8; Notice d8
Occult d10; Persuasion d6; Repair d8; Spellcasting d12+1; Stealth d4
Hindrances: Minor Delusion, Can't Swim, Major Vengeful, Heroic, Major Wanted (Coalition), Major Enemy (Vampires, Evil Necro), Major D-Bee, Major Oath, Alien Physiology, Non-Standard Build, Spooky
Special abilities: 4 Arms (ignore 2 MAP); Low-Light Vision; Notice to see ghosts, ethereal, invisible; Natural Healing 2/day, may regenerate limbs; Re-Roll Social rolls w/Undead; +4 to resist Vampiric puppet
Weapons:
Bone Staff (Str+d6, 2 PPE for 5 rounds MD; Reach +1, Parry +1 [incl], Spellcasting +1 [incl])
Wilk's Classic (15/30/60; 3d6 AP 2; +1 Shooting)
Tommygun (12/24/48; 2d6+1 Silver; RoF 3)
TW Gladius Exoskeleton (+7A/+4T; Str d12+1/Pace +2 while Powered [incl]; 1 PPE/hr)
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »


Still standing with his mouth open and looking part worried and part dumbstruck Sir Newman absently pulls his pack up off the ground and digs out a map. He hands it to you.

Sir Newman mutters: ”What are we going to tell Coake….

Sir Hedge responds: “Us? No way. I’m out. I’ll go join the CS as a grunt before I tell Coake we lost the castle. Pfft!”

GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 602
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: The Black Company

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Hans Greuber »

"Well guys, I have only found a little salvage. A professional beat me to it. That means they took the time here after they were done fighting to grab whatever salvage that wasn't nailed down before leaving. I just got 20k credits worth of tech salvage from what was left of the wreckages. I also found a
Size of a grape
  • Built in timer. Damage: 8d10 MD small blast templet.
The tech level is on par with Phase World, but not from there. I found it in the remains of a human-looking corpse's head. It also had a recording device. I can show you all the
There are several recordings that can be watched. Of interest are the ones that show an army of hundreds of the same kind of creatures that the Black Company fought in Newport gathering at a location that looks exactly like castle Refuge except there is no castle. The metal flesh monsters are prepared for battle and the camera pans up to the sky then clicks off.

Another video shows what looks like six of the creatures and camera man headed into a vault and blowing up heavy doors. As the camera moves into the room the video feed ends.
."


Lars wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:54 pm
Still standing with his mouth open and looking part worried and part dumbstruck Sir Newman absently pulls his pack up off the ground and digs out a map. He hands it to you.

Sir Newman mutters: ”What are we going to tell Coake….

Sir Hedge responds: “Us? No way. I’m out. I’ll go join the CS as a grunt before I tell Coake we lost the castle. Pfft!”
"Have you ever thought of joining a mercenary company? The Black Company MAY have openings."


"Now... the castle is gone. What could do
Occult or Science to figure it out
  • Occult/Science: 1d12!!: [3] = 3
    Wild: 1d6!!: [2] = 2
    Result: 3 - Fail. Even Hans doesn't know everything... though he won't admit it :D
?!? Uhoh... seems like the ambient PPE in this area is depleted. I don't know how long Jim and Gargamel can survive here. We better hit the road!"
Hans Greuber

PPE: 6 / 20 (6 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
OOC Comments
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 3 /6
Created Gadgets:
Healing (15 PPE)
Relief (10 PPE)
Bennies: 3 / 3
Base Amount
+1 due Helping GM
-1 to Reroll Teleport Gadget

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Jim (10 PPE Enchanted Heart - Assigned to Wormy)
viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048
Lars
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 1632
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:13 am
Location: GAMEMASTER
Contact:

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Lars »

Hans Greuber wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 pm "Have you ever thought of joining a mercenary company? The Black Company MAY have openings."


As Sir Newman stumbles closer to the missing castle Sir Hedge leans towards Hans.

“Seriously man. I’m not going down in history as the knight who lost the castle. What’s the pay like?”

Sir Newman yells at Sir Hedge: “Get the radio! We gotta call this in!”

Hedge winks at Hans then rushes off to his robot horse to fetch a radio.
GM of The Black Company and Assistant GM for Lost Jungles CS: Lars
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Player Characters
User avatar
Ducky
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:19 am

Re: 1.0 Attack on Newport Aka Newport’s Black Dawn!

Post by Ducky »

Ducky frowned at the bracelet she had found. For a moment it reminded her of a gift she had once received. But after a second she shook the bad feeling off and pocketed the bracelet. Breathe girl, the Dweeb is probably too busy subjugating the Kregor to have this little trinket for you. Still she wondered how something like the finely crafted and magical bracelet had been left behind seemingly for someone rifling through drawers of clothes.

Ducky nodded to @Tula at some point and said softly, “ Like I can sense something over that way, like some stairs or something. If I find something tubular I’ll like let you know.” Sadly most of what if anything of interest of Geist’s former cell was lost on her radar esque senses.

Later at the chow line Ducky without really looking at @Charon remarked, ”So like what was that whole False Death deal? Like you know you seemed totally perturbed or something.” Ducky put a spoon of food into her mouth and let it dribble back out unexpectedly when @Hans Greuber mentioned all those credits. Gag me with a spoon…. We could retire on that alone. She shuddered remembering Earther credits were about 1 billionth of a galactic standard. A galactic standard was only found in the holds of those luxury star liners or a Royal depository. The rest of the galaxy delt in fractoids only.

After a quick wipe of her mouth with the back of her hand which got most of the food she pulled out the braclet, “So like, I totally found this in some dude’s sock drawer. I got this feeling that it sharpens like your eyes and ears. Smells a bit funky. My last crew, we would divy up trinkets found so they would like umm best serve the team. How do you Earthers do it here?” She did turn her body when the Castle disappeared, her cosmic tuned senses picked up on the surge of leyline energy and the creation of a fade like town around the castle proper[PerGM]. “Tripendicular! So like Red says, let’s go to Gloom and get some Geist.”
Ducky Stat Block
Skills of note: Fighting d12, Notice d6+2
Edges of Note:

Melee damage with her sword: 1d12+2d10+5 AP2 MD
Bennies
2/3
-1 benny for reroll kn battle
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”