03 - Debriefing

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4430
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

03 - Debriefing

Post by Ndreare »

Returning to the city the Patrol is greeted by McPherson as others are there to organize the refugees and feed them. The logistics required for such a small city to accept nearly 100 new people is something that has been prepared for. The Patrol having already radioed ahead of their imminent arrival allowing hot food, blankets and a warm warehouse to be prepared.

McPherson is amazed by the performance of the team. “That you, I cannot believe you saved so many. A debrief is needed, but I think first why don’t you all take an hour to go warm your bones and eat. Then meet me at the Hall.” Then looking at Billy Shag before he wanders off he adds. “You as well, I know you are not a fan of hanging out in the city. But I would like your accounting as well.”


Instructions

Provide a brief retelling of the events, then include an interlude of how you spend the next day or two before being sent out on your next patrol. If your character enjoys any downtime, they will not be able to buy food or drink as the people are so grateful they will buy your needs for you.

You are informed the next Patrol will be a medicine run, but they need to wait until enough medicine is made.

This is also a place for some RP if you would like.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardol is relatively quiet during the debriefing, chiming in only occasionally with added details. "The team did beautiful work. So many of the crash site victims were saved." "Billy was exceptionally useful in the forest - he is a tremendous asset to the team." Mostly, as is his habit, he lets others do the talking.

After the meeting, Nardol spends some quality time soaking in the heat of a fire, then seeks out the small boy with the monster dog. Glad to see he survived the crossing with his mother, he decides to introduce himself. "I am Nardol Longwalker, a Fennodi. That is the name of my race, like yours is human. Jorge I know already; may I know your names?"

Somewhat nervously, the mother answers, "I'm Teresa, and this is Roberto. Could... could you tell me where we are? Um... this sounds crazy, but... are we on Earth?"

"Oh, yes, most certainly. It seems this is all very strange to you and your fellow travelers. Most likely you, like me, came here to this Earth through a Rift. Your home might be an alternate Earth, or perhaps this one but in the past. The Rifts connect Earth with many other worlds, including mine, and all manner of creatures, good and bad, come through them. This town is called Burlington, capital of the Skagit Valley region. The area is closed off by Rifts and difficult to leave, so the two of you and Jorge must make yourselves at home."

Teresa begins to sob. "You're telling me we're trapped here, that I'm never going to see my husband again, that we're stuck here among these horrors."

Nardol does his best to offer comfort, but he is troubled. "These people are suffering. How will we integrate them into Burlington?" He resolves to speak with Mayor MacPherson to determine what can be done for them.
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Jim Cannon
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Jim Cannon »

Jim's face is troubled by their losses as he gives his briefing to the mayor. "We got lucky to be honest. We really need to work on improving our rapid reaction plans for the next time. We need to have equipment, horses and even boats ready to go at a moment's notice."

Jim takes moment to order his thoughts before continuing. "The trip up the mountain was fairly uneventful and we were able to deal with or avoid the potential hostiles encountered on the trail. We rescued everyone we could from the plane and salvaged everything we had the resources to salvage and cart back to town. There are probably more salvage we could get from the plane and a follow up team should go back up with proper tools and pack animals to bring them down if possible."

Pausing once again Jim make a small sigh, "The trip down could have gone better as you've heard though we did manage to avoid contact with significant hostiles in the area though how we managed that is nothing short of a minor miracle in my opinion. All in all we did better than we should have given the situation. The whole Patrol deserves a pat on the back after this one."

Once the briefing is concludes Jim collects his gear and heads to his quarters for a shower, clean clothes and some well deserved rack time.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

User avatar
Rain
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Rain »

Rain gives his report:

"I was as useful as a drink of water to a drowning man. The rest of the crew handled all of it. The demons, the survivors, the trek back. All of it. I froze out there after the fight started, and then it was over before any of them even came into my range."

"I did what I could on the way home. I kept some people warm and I helped treat wounds, but I was mostly background. There more just in case, you know?"

Quieter, he says, "I can't believe we lost Dak. I .. well, Dak... was good."

Rain leaves the debriefing and seeks solitude, as is his custom. He mourns his lost friend by himself, lighting a small pyre for Dak. "Maybe you're still out there. Hope so. But well sure miss you."
User avatar
Athena Misane
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Athena Misane »

Athena ends up helping getting folks settled and fed, only eating after many others had been fed and she was shooed away to rest and eat herself. Once she sat down she realized just how tired she was and took a quick nap in the ways that all soldiers who see combat are conditioned to do. She awakens later to someone telling her to go to the debrief. She pulls out a notebook and begins making notes and updating earlier notes.

Athena, ever in hyperactive tinkerer mode, has her head buried in a ledger she keeps on her. She barely looks up as she speaks. "So we got out there, engaged and defeated a flying lizard humanoid and its two land bound buddies; Seemed like the same basic species, but with variations. Then some mounds of earth were summoned, but we left them alone and they wandered off. We got folks out of the plane and I began assessing the wreckage for scrapping. We got some of the passengers to help with evacuation and stripping resources - mostly wiring, emergency supplies, the meager food and water supplies, and other valuable but portable items. I want to go back out there with my chopper and a crew to strip the plane of everything else, including whatever fuel is out there. There's enough space to land due to the crash. It'll need to be a full on Patrol mission though - we'd need to establish a break down camp, strip the plane for materials and salvage, and then transport it back by helicopter." It's at this point she looks up, thinking.

"Lot of folks died, either in the crash or the river. We saw more creatures in the woods, the ones that go invisible. We managed to avoid them. We need to be cutting roads and bringing vehicles to situations like this. Anyway, as soon as we get back from this follow up mission, I'll start getting the wiring together to bring electricity to wherever you settle these folks. The old man, Ray, he's a good one to get teaching folks what he knows. He can teach folks better skills. It'd also give him something to focus on. His daughter Terri is a college professor, chemistry I think she said. I know these are a lot of mouths to feed, but I think they've got skills to help the community get better. And they're motivated enough, or will be soon, to help with food gathering and community building."

She finds Ray and his daughter, Professor Terri as they are settling down for some rest. She shakes both their hands. "Look, just wanted to thank you both for your help and say I'm sorry for what you're going through. Next few weeks are going to be rough on you guys, but I'd like to ask you both to see what you can do in helping our community out. I'm the primary one maintaining the generator and major infrastructure. I'm also trying to work out an organic helicopter fuel, not to mention a bio-diesel. If you have any thoughts on those later, let me know. For now, rest and recover."

This scene repeats itself as she goes to every refugee that ended up helping her strip salvage from the plane, seeing each one briefly, acknowledging their efforts, their traumatic events, and trying to give them all something to focus on going forward - always phrasing it as a request.
Athena Misane, Fire Service Pilot and Combat Veteran
Parry: 5, Toughness: Dinosaur Leather Long Coat Only: 10(2) or Dinosaur Leather and Ceramic Vest Personal Armor and Long Coat: 17(7) Base: 7
Powers and Benny/Wound/ISP tracking
User avatar
Billy Shag
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Billy Shag »

There were no names exchanged as Billy calmly and silently beckoned individual survivors to his fire, offering them a bite to eat and the warmth of the circle. Whereas the entertainer would normally seek to bolster spirits with a tune, instead this night he chose silence, something that many seemed to want to share while each contemplating their own situation. As some grew so weary they could barely keep their eyes open, Billy offered a pile of blankets and a space by the fire to rest for the night.

Still others stayed awake, shivering despite the heat and sometimes audibly breaking. Sometimes those would need to be led, both physically and spiritually, to a place where they could rest. For those, Billy offered a hand or even to carry some to their temporary bed.

Most sounds eventually faded with the evening. Some lingered. Occasionally, Billy would observe a member startle and sit up, to again discover his dark huddled form by the fire and then eventually slowly settle in again.

The watcher remained awake until the last of them found their rest.


On the morn, Billy acknowledged the request for information. We did the best we could. Some we were able to save and others were not so lucky. I fear that is how this place...

In any event, any resource we can gain from this tragedy we should obtain as quickly as possible and then attend to the defense of this area. It is no secret where we are and where many of the resources are or will be. They will be coming.


Billy doesn't seem to care to explain more as he removes a shovel from his pack and heads for the edge of town.
Billy Shag

Pace: 6; Parry: 8 (+3 w/shield); Toughness: 16 (5); Size: Normal (2)
Relevant Edges: Adept (Boost Trait, Smite), Block, Brawler, Chi, Elan, Justice Ranger
ISP: 4/20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 4/3
User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 133
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Kaelin »

Kaelin is uncharacteristically sombre and silent as the Patrol recounts what occurred out in the wilds, though occasionally she interjects to confirm certain details. She feels she has little to add to the Patrol's report, plus she had mixed feelings over how 'successful' the mission was given that they saved a fair number of people but the nature of the Valley meant that some losses were a certainty.

With the debriefing concluded she returned to her family's home, if anything to reassure her parents and to enjoy a cooked meal. Kaelin also ended up filling in her father on what the Patrol had encountered, wondering whether her father had faced similar creatures before.
Main Account: Stormwell
User avatar
Jim Cannon
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Jim Cannon »

After leaving the Mayor's office Jim heads to his quarters for a hot shower and a meal. Feeling somewhat refreshed afterwards he settles in to clean his weapons before turning in for the night. A long standing tradition going back to the beginning of his military career one did not hit the sack until one's gear was seen to. It was pushing midnight by the time he has his weapons and gear squared away, blowing out the oil lamp and he sinking gratefully into his bed. I'm too old for this crap. Jim wryly thinks to himself for what seems the millionth time as he drifts off.

As usual morning comes way too early and Jim pulls himself out of bed to pull on pants, boots, shirt and armored vest. Not as good as the futuristic stuff he wears out on patrol but better than nothing and if Jim has learned one thing since being dumped here this valley can kill you any time and any place if you aren't careful. Finally, Jim dons his shoulder holster and slides his .50 cal pistol home before heading out for his morning run.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4430
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 03 - Debriefing

Post by Ndreare »

After hearing the debriefings McPherson thinks for a moment. "We will arrange a memorial event for Dax. He may be alive wherever the storms took him, or he may have been taken somewhere unsafe. But he should be honored for his service."

"I only wish I could let you all enjoy some time off until then. But we need to get this medicine to Concrete and get the ore from them."Turning his attention. "Does the Huey have enough fuel for a run to concrete and back with a full load? If so this job could be done by the end of the day."

Continued in Medicine Run thread...
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”