04 - Medicine Run

Post Reply
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4457
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

04 - Medicine Run

Post by Ndreare »

04 - Medicine Run

The plan is simple. Take advantage of the fuel recovered from the jet and deliver some medicine and supplies to Lymen and Concrete. If there is fuel left on the return trip see if you can swing into the crash site and grab any remaining supplies the heuy can carry.

As McPherson gives you the details he explains that his plan was to give you the medicine run as part of your normal patrol. But the fuel acquired gives an opportunity to recover resources.

Once you get to Lyman speak with your normal contact Garrett. When you get to Concrete speak with Wayne. These are your normal contacts on these runs. They will help arrange the distribution, tell you any local news and any important goings on. As well as give status updates for the other patrols they have recently seen.

Once you are done on the way back stop by the crash site, refuel the chopper and see how much extra fuel or resources can be had. With the chopper it should be easier and faster.

This run would normally be pretty dangerous and take a long time. But with access to the fuel this opportunity is too good to waste.


INSTRUCTIONS:
Get ready, write up a paragraph (or twenty if your name is Christian) explaining the stuff you take care of before heading out and who you love enough to say goodbye to. Overseeing the loading up of the chopper with the medical supplies for concrete.

HEAD OUT: Load up on the chopper and head out. You will be traveling, as soon as you take off wind and rain will pick up. The flight to Lyman and then to Concrete should be easy enough. But I would still like a piloting roll.

Piloting Roll: You have 3 Units of Fuel.
Critical Failure: The craft goes down with a TD. I will roll a hit location and 1d6 to see how bad it is.
Failure: You consume 2.0 Fuel units.
Success: You consume 1.0 Fuel units as expected.
Raise: You manage to luck out and consume only 0.5 units of Fuel.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardal approaches the mayor after the mission briefing. "Mayor McPherson, I have spoken to some of the passengers, and I believe many are in shock. Like most who come through a Rift, they do not truly understand what has befallen them. If there are those here experienced in sicknesses of the mind, I ask that you send them to help."

After speaking with the mayor, Nardol seeks out Roberto. "Hello, funny man!" the boy says.

"Hello, Roberto and Jorge. I have made something for you." He holds out a crude woven dome, made from twigs and reeds. "This is a house for Jorge. A good dog should have a good place to rest."

"Thanks, Mr.... Walker, was it? Nardol nods as the boy continues. "My mama is working with a bunch of people to cook dinner. Do you want to come?"

"That sounds very nice, but I am needed elsewhere. We are bringing supplies to other villages in the area. Perhaps one day, with the right training, you might assist us."

"Cool! Thanks for the doghouse, Mr. Walker"

Nardal watches the boy run off and then heads for the Huey. He doesn't really understand the nature of the medicines he loads into the Huey, but respects their power and follows the instructions for safe storage to the letter.
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Rain
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Rain »

Rain doesn't really have anyone to say goodbye to.

He could, he supposes, say goodbye to any number of folks around town. Most have known him for years, and he has saved many of them since the Rifts (and some of those he has saved many times). And, if he's being honest with himself, he wishes he had someone to say goodbye to. Someone he thought would be sad to lose him because he's him and not because he's useful to the town.

But the thought of approaching anyone is scarier than the thought of the chopper going down, so he keeps to himself until it is time to help @Nardal Longwalker load up the huey.

Once the team sets off, he does his best to keep an eye out for dangers in the storm and call them out to @Athena Misane.
Notice 4, +1 to Piloting Roll
Rolled on discord, 1 Benny spent
User avatar
Billy Shag
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Billy Shag »

Billy returns after several hours of work inside the tree lines at the edge of town and after he takes a moment to watch and ascertain the meaning of being transported via helicopter, reports to the Mayor.

As it seems the Sheriff isn't on patrol as much lately, I've taken the liberty of securing the perimeter a little. I've installed some demon detectors/traps which can easily be altered to be deadly if necessary. These may not hold one for long but they will alert us if something comes around. I've explained the locations and the instructions on how they should be reset to (insert NPC name) so that the locals can steer clear of them. These things are big and they have stealth but they ain't very bright. If they come here we will need a way to make their size work against them, realizing that includes folks like myself.

I'm not saying I'm better than everyone else for this job but I have some experience and you need good hands where they fit. But if you should object to my filling in for a bit, just holler.


Billy shoves some additional tools into his pockets as he speaks, then turns toward the door before pausing and looking back over his shoulder.

Oh, and I'll need a hat.



Trapmaking
Survival 1d8!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7

hiding them
Stealth 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3

{/inline]
Billy Shag

Pace: 6; Parry: 8 (+3 w/shield); Toughness: 16 (5); Size: Normal (2)
Relevant Edges: Adept (Boost Trait, Smite), Block, Brawler, Chi, Elan, Justice Ranger
ISP: 4/20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 4/3
User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Kaelin »

Repair Support Roll 9
Repair 1d12!!+2: [7]+2 = 9
Wild 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7
Kaelin had her family, primarily her parents, whom she lived with. Injuries had seen her father having to retire from the 'field', effectively confining him to the town whilst Kaelin took over his mechanics role with the Patrols. It was still important if mundane work, but it kept him busy even though it was clear that he wanted to be out in the wilds. Though to keep the old man happy, Kaelin had promised to recount the adventures of the team she went out with on every mission.

However, Kaelin wasn't one for long awkward goodbyes and so rose early to pack her things and grab a bite to eat for breakfast before heading out to meet up with the rest of the team. It look as though they were to travel in Athena's helicopter, a machine that Kaelin was curious about and had tried to tinker with when the former US Army pilot was distracted. She'd relished the few opportunities she had gotten to work, supervised of course, on the machine to help maintain it.
Main Account: Stormwell
User avatar
Jim Cannon
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Jim Cannon »


Survival 1d8!!+2: [4]+2 = 6
Wild Die 1d6!!+2: [10!!]+2 = 12

Up to +2 for support roll


Jim packs light as usual for these missions even knowing he'll end up wishing he had something he didn't have later. Stopping by the records hall he checks out the maps they'll need for this mission. He spends the rest of his time going over the maps charting their course to what would hopefully be the most fuel efficient route.

Preparations completed he hoists his pack, grabs both his longarms, grunting under the weight. He didn't normally take both but he can store his spare in the chopper. He supposed he could just make due with the shotgun but he felt naked without his rifle. Nothing has the stopping power of this old Barrett and there's just too many critters in this whacked out valley that takes plenty of stopping.

With that thought Jim kicks his door shut and heads to the field where the chopper should be waiting.
Last edited by Jim Cannon on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

User avatar
Michael Callahan
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Michael Callahan »

Michael spends his time wandering town to get his bearings. He takes notes, draws his own map with important places, and observes the people. Such a strange mix of people from different times and even different worlds, as evidenced by the presence of people like @Nardal Longwalker. He doesn't try to speak to anyone. The few interactions he does have are as awkward as you can imagine.
"Excuse me. Are you new here?"
"Fine, thanks. You?"
Followed by stammering, stuttered curses, and statements that more or less resemble apologies.
He does take the opportunity to follow as close to @Billy Shag as the sasquatch will allow. He notes the locations of the traps on his hand-drawn map, trying his best to ascertain the trap's function as much as the dexterity with which the world hide and seek champion manipulates the mechanisms.
As the time comes to depart, he spends some thought about an appropriate loadout of armament. Being unused to being fully armed, he agonizes over the decision, eventually electing to take his .308 rifle, his handgun, and the appropriate survival knives, hatchets, wooden stakes (there are sasquatches here. Are there vampires?!) that he can fit into his pack. "I think I'm ready."
Michael Callahan
Michael Callahan
Pace: 6; Parry: 5
Toughness: 12 (5)
Pertinent Edges: Alertness, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Concentration, Elan, Monster Slayer
Current Status Post
User avatar
Athena Misane
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Athena Misane »

Before they leave, Athena finds the others and begins organizing folks to head to her place. She finds @Rain looking mopey and distracted, and comes up behind him with an easy hand on his shoulder. "Why the long face Fire Marshal?" Her face is bright in its expression, though like the others she is ready to be done. "Keep frosty, my friend. No way we want to lose the best damn firefighter in the fire service, myself excluded." Her laugh is light and she fist bumps his shoulder lightly with the jest. "We'll need to see if any of the newcomers have any fire fighting experience we can draw on in the future."

The "air field" for the helicopter is a large field beside the Misane homestead which is a curious mix of reclaimed and natural materials. The workshop near the helicopter is obviously where Athena spends a lot of her downtime. It is large enough to house the helicopter as well as multiple vehicles. There also seems to be a sweat lodge or something like it behind the large log cabin home at the center of the homestead, as well as obvious signs of Sauk religious practices all over. Athena finds her Aunt, Demi Misane. The spinster lives here with Athena's father and mother, her siblings, and their 90 year old grandmother who is her Aunt's mentor in mysticism and the Sauk faith. Aunt Demi looks to be ancient (though she is only 50), and yet is as spry and vital as Athena herself judging by her movements. The woman hugs Athena and then brushes her hands over her knife and a few other charms. "I see my protections are intact. Good." She taps the body armor that Athena wears. "The enchantments hold then?" she asks her niece.

"Yes Auntie. Thank you for the gift and the upgrade. Would have never thought of replacing the kevlar with treated dinosaur hide. No doubt it's tougher though." She still doesn't understand what her spinster aunt did, but the effect is real and measurable. There is a hole in the outer armored layer, which then shows the dinosaur leather underneath reinforcing it.

"Good my dear. Heading back out?"

"Yes Auntie. Let father know to be ready to turn on the landing lights when I call it in, please. This should be a quick trip though."

"I will let him know. Be careful my child."

They hug and Athena heads to start pre-flight on the chopper. She helps folks load into the chopper, shows them how to secure their long arms and how to strap in and how the headsets work. In particular she drills @Michael Callahan and @Billy Shag until she is sure they are comfortable. She invites @Jim Cannon to the co-pilot's seat, and welcomes @Kaelin's help with pre-flight, noting the woman's growing skill. "You'll be a pro at this before long Kaelin. Remind me to have you help me out with the generator tomorrow. Jim, there's a board up there you can put the maps in so they don't flutter around."

With preparations complete, Athena lifts the chopper off with ease, heading for their location, flying as low as she can to avoid the more powerful crosswinds to conserve fuel.
Piloting 1d6+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d6+4: [4]+4 = 8
Athena Misane, Fire Service Pilot and Combat Veteran
Parry: 5, Toughness: Dinosaur Leather Long Coat Only: 10(2) or Dinosaur Leather and Ceramic Vest Personal Armor and Long Coat: 17(7) Base: 7
Powers and Benny/Wound/ISP tracking
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4457
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Ndreare »

Storm rolls in
Rolling Rob's Deck 1d54: [14] = 14 = 5 of Diamonds normal storm



The time spent maintaining personal relationships helps refresh Nardol granting him some peace in his heart. When Rain joins Nardol, it is difficult for Nardol to ignore, the sense of isolation thick a soup in the air.
If the two of you would like to create a sidebar thread for Nardol and Rain interacting as Nardol tries to help, you can both earn a benny as well as getting in extra posting. If you turn it into a full conversation you can both earn a conviction instead.
No pressure, this is completely optional.


Athena and Kaelin find the time spent with family is refreshing and helps restore them mentally. Kaelin’s time spent with her father helped her unwind and while she thought of it as something she did for her father. The activity was refreshing for her as well. Meeting up with Jim on the way, the old soldier looked as ready as ever. Athena already aware of the strength of her family and the value of the time with them likewise enjoys the time.

Billy felt the traps should work for alerting towns folk of problems, as he takes the time to reset ones that had sprung on their own he notices that less than usual was sprung. It is as if the general activity in the area had decreased.
Does Billy accept Michael’s interest and desire to help/learn?



The pre-flight checks show the chopper is maintained and ready to fly. As the heroes take off for Lyman they find the flight is easy and even with the rain and storm weather there is very little trouble. As they make the delivery to everything seems easy and shows little problem as Garrett gives them an update of everything going on in Lyman. They see many people have come out to observe the chopper. Comments and questions about the dangers of using something that can be seen so far away, balanced by the amazement of having one that still runs.

However things change as the heroes get close to Concrete. Nardol sees and points out to the others something moving on the shore, racing away from a home the strange formless being slides into the water without so much as a splash and is out of sight within seconds too fast to allow itself to be shot. The strange creature was covered in eyes, with vein-like tentacles and an amorphous body that seemed to roll as much as slide into the river.

Landing in town Wayne is already waiting for you. The old man stands on his bowed legs not holding his full weight leaves his cane bending with enough deflection as to seem on the border of cracking. “Welcome, welcome. Come on in and get something to eat. We have stuff to talk about.

As he leads the Patrol into the building where what smelled like a delicious stew was brewing. “Sorry, we don't have any meat left. But we have plenty of proteins from the beans.” The cook apologizes to the Patrol as their bowls were poured. Once the food was served and everyone who wanted some had their stew and their bread the mayor began explaining.

“We have had some issues. I am glad our need for medicine got through to you all...” Wayne has a tendency to ramble and as he began to explain the situation you found he would repeat himself more than once before moving on to the next point. Sometimes even circling back after having been done. The well respected man somehow able to still be engaging as he rambled on.

The town has had some strange new demon. The gargoyles they have been able to at least try and handle. But something they do not understand has been coming into town at night. It will attack, but as soon as someone fights back it will flee. The people attacked however soon grow very ill, and two of them have died already. Three people are currently sick. Each time the strange monster flees into the river. The town does not know what to do, everyone is afraid to go to the river for water, and they have taken to sleeping together in the grange as everyone is afraid to sleep in their homes.


Wayne needs the patrols help hunting whatever is living in the river and has killed his livestock and two of his people. He only prays these antibiotics can save the lives of his people who are still alive.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Billy Shag
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Billy Shag »

Billy climbs aboard the helicopter, mindful of the height, while muttering something to himself that sounds like ...and I'm not supposed to be able to understand the tek-nohw-loh-gee neither, I s'pose.

With his diminutive shadow almost certainly in tow, after the woolly ranger attends to the obligatory briefing, Y'all be mindful of the meds and let me know if they aren't working.

Afterward, he steps out of the building carrying with him a camp stool and heads out to the bank of the water, near a close estimate of where the creature was seen, and sits down. He pulls out a knife and scrap of wood and begins whittling. And whistling.

The shavings are placed into a small pile, after which Billy produces a small shovel, with which he digs an approximately 3'x3'x6" fire pit. He places the scrap of wood at its base with the shavings on top. He then begins gathering some nearby dead wood and smaller branches for a fire.

Once the fire is lit, Billy admires it for a minute or two, while enjoying a bit of jerky he brought along in his pack (not a vegetarian, mind you). He then resumes sitting, whistling and whittling. After a bit, he adds some words to his song:

Help me make it through the night
I don't care who's right or wrong
I don't try to understand
Let the devil take tomorrow
Lord tonight I need a friend
Yesterday is dead and gone
And tomorrow's out of sight
And it's sad to be alone


Billy sets out his rifle and waits.


Notice 1d8!!: [6] = 6
Wild 1d6!!: [2] = 2
Survival 1d8!!+2: [6]+2 = 8
Wild 1d6!!+2: [1]+2 = 3

Billy Shag

Pace: 6; Parry: 8 (+3 w/shield); Toughness: 16 (5); Size: Normal (2)
Relevant Edges: Adept (Boost Trait, Smite), Block, Brawler, Chi, Elan, Justice Ranger
ISP: 4/20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 4/3
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardol, sensing Rain's feelings of isolation, sat next to him on the huey. "I understand your name is Rain, and you are a fire fighter, yes? Your name seems appropriate.

On seeing the strange river creature, Nardol points it out at once. It is a being foreign to his experience, and he wonders whether it is intelligent, and whether one could communicate with it. Finding that it is attacking the people of the town distresses him greatly, and he resolves to aid his comrades in protecting them, even if it means destroying the creature.
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Ndreare
Savage Siri
Posts: 4457
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:55 pm
Location: Skagit County, Washington
Contact:

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Ndreare »

Anyone observing the creature and/or hearing of the attacks may make an Occult -2 roll to identify what it may potentially be. No default roll is allowed for this roll.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

    3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

    4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

    6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

    9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

    11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

    12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

,
1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
User avatar
Rain
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Rain »

Nardal Longwalker wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:56 am Nardol, sensing Rain's feelings of isolation, sat next to him on the huey. "I understand your name is Rain, and you are a fire fighter, yes? Your name seems appropriate.
Rain nods. ”I am, of a sort. I put out the fires that will do more harm than good, and I try to direct the others. Rain is more of a nickname than anything. I got a reputation for sitting outside in the rain, but my mind keeps me warm.”
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardol chuckles at Rain's comment. "Rain is a new phenomenon to me since I came to these lands. I understand there is a human saying about the rain - 'A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face.'"

Nardol is still thinking about
Occult 1d6x: [2] = 2 -2 Wild 1d6x: [5] = 5 -2
. He has a nagging sense that he should recognize it, but it doesn't quite come to him what it might be.
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Rain
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Rain »

Nardal Longwalker wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:46 am Nardol chuckles at Rain's comment. "Rain is a new phenomenon to me since I came to these lands. I understand there is a human saying about the rain - 'A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face.'"
"You don't get rain where you're from? That's wild. How do you get, like, water? Is that rude?"

Nada on the Critter
Rain doesn't have the right skillset; he'll have to pick up Occult down the line.
User avatar
Kaelin
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:42 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Kaelin »

"Me old man told me where 'e was from used tae rain all the time." Kaya commented, overhearing the conversation. "Said they saw snow more often than they saw the sun."

"Wot was that?" She asks, catching a brief glimpse of the strange river creature. "Reminds me a bit o' a kelpie, me old man told me o' tales 'e knew growing up, but they're meant tae look more like a horse."

"Either way, it cannae be a good sign."
Main Account: Stormwell
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardol replies. "Rain nearly every day? That would be something to see. My lands are dry, with a few rivers and oases for water. Managing one's water supply is a vital skill among my people. As for kelpies - I don't know what that thing was, but it did not look much like a horse."
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Jim Cannon
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:45 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Jim Cannon »


Battle 1d6!!+2: [2]+2 = 4
Wild Die 1d6!!+2: [5]+2 = 7


Athletics 1d8!!: [7] = 7
Wild Die 1d6!!: [4] = 4
Nardal Longwalker wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:46 am Nardol chuckles at Rain's comment. "Rain is a new phenomenon to me since I came to these lands. I understand there is a human saying about the rain - 'A brave man likes the feel of nature on his face.'"
"Perhaps, but it's a wise man that knows when to get in out of the rain." Jim interjects with a chuckle. "I'm going to go ahead and scout around for a good spot to set up a sniper's nest. If you need me just look up."

Outside Jim uses a lifetime of military experience to scan the area along the river looking for the best vantage point with a view of the river to set up a sniper nest. After a thorough inspection Jim decides on one of the houses that gives a good view and the roof isn't so steep to make perching up there with a sniper rifle treacherous.

The residents seem to be relieved to have one of the Patrol perched up on their roof and so Jim pulls some rope from his pack and secures it and the rifle with one piece to his belt to pull up after him and makes short work of scrambling up the side of the building. Pulling his gear up after him, it isn't long before he's as comfortable as he's going to be and he begins scanning the river for any activity.
Last edited by Jim Cannon on Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient wisdom from the Golden Age: Don't Panic.

User avatar
Michael Callahan
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Michael Callahan »

Michael shakes his head as he observes the bulbous creature plop into the water. His normal verbal clumsiness seems to have dissipated in an instant. "Call me crazy...but that looked like either
Occult at net zero: 1d8!!: [5] = 5
WD Occult: 1d6!!: [5] = 5
...those are things out of D&D books. And Lovecraft, obviously. And some old crazy religious texts. Which some people revere Lovecraft as a prophet. Right along with that bunch of loons that founded the religion of the flying spaghetti monster. Unless they really meant Cthulhu. But still...what a weird world."
He looks around at some of the more incredulous looks he gets. "What? I used to play D&D when I was a kid. Always wanted to be a fighter. You know. Since I'm not."
Michael Callahan
Michael Callahan
Pace: 6; Parry: 5
Toughness: 12 (5)
Pertinent Edges: Alertness, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Concentration, Elan, Monster Slayer
Current Status Post
User avatar
Athena Misane
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Athena Misane »

Athena chuckles at Michael's comment about being a fighter. "Hey we played that on one of our deployments. My squadron's flight engineer was a huge nerd into multiple games and we played for almost a year before he got transferred. I was an elf druid. I liked making the fighter look weak. Not that I knew what was happening other than what he told us, but it was fun. It helped we got drunk at the same time." She laughs at this. "But to your point remember that that stuff came from somewhere. Who knows what could be out here. Not me, of course, but still. Until you know it's not that, don't rule it out. Who'd have thought we'd be seeing Gargoyles, let alone having fire fights with them." She, of course, has next to no information to add and instead begins watching their surroundings, wandering outside to have a
Notice 1d8!!: [7] = 7 , 1d6!!: [2] = 2 = 7, 1 success if it matters
.
Athena Misane, Fire Service Pilot and Combat Veteran
Parry: 5, Toughness: Dinosaur Leather Long Coat Only: 10(2) or Dinosaur Leather and Ceramic Vest Personal Armor and Long Coat: 17(7) Base: 7
Powers and Benny/Wound/ISP tracking
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

Nardol is confused. "Where are these dungeons and dragons of which you speak? I know a few dragons, but none of them live in dungeons. And who is this 'Lovecraft' - is he some sort of monster expert?"
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
User avatar
Rain
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun May 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Rain »

"Flying...spaghetti? Is that, like, a thing where you are from?" Rain asks @Michael Callahan.
User avatar
Michael Callahan
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:02 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Michael Callahan »

"You...know dragons?" @Nardal Longwalker's suggestion drops Michael's jaw through the floor. "Are you joking? Are there dragons here? GOD IN HEAVEN ARE THERE REAL DRAGONS?!" He nearly passes out at the hint, recovering in time to slam his head back into his seat. He shakes out the cobwebs and apologizes. "I...well, if I had ever played in a game where I had the opportunity to play a dragon...I would definitely have played a dragon. But are they as varied in temperament as we would be? Are there different types? Are they intelligent or animalistic? Are they universally hostile or benevolent?" The interrogation rattles off queries faster and faster to the point where the Fennodi cannot possibly keep up. A well timed hand on his shoulder from any given member of the crew who would like him to take a single breath jars him from his inquisitive spasm.
"Oh...I'm sorry. I...well, you can imagine."
He turns to @Rain. "The flying spaghetti monster was a political attempt to show the supposed absurdity of believing in a deity, and also giving special political privileges to people based on religion. At least, that's how I understood it. Once I realized what that group was about, I stopped caring. I am a man of science, and everything I've ever studied suggests we came from something bigger than us." He points to @Billy Shag and Nardal. "You aren't from this world, or even this dimension. A man would have to be a fool to think this is random." He picks into his pack for a morsel of some kind of ration. "At least, that's how I see it."
Michael Callahan
Michael Callahan
Pace: 6; Parry: 5
Toughness: 12 (5)
Pertinent Edges: Alertness, Brave, Strong Willed, Iron Will, Concentration, Elan, Monster Slayer
Current Status Post
User avatar
Athena Misane
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:47 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Athena Misane »

Nardal Longwalker wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:34 am Nardol is confused. "Where are these dungeons and dragons of which you speak? I know a few dragons, but none of them live in dungeons. And who is this 'Lovecraft' - is he some sort of monster expert?"
"Lovecraft is a horror author, from what little I know. I'd have called it pure fiction, but now? who knows. Heard about it from that same guy in our unit. Dungeons and Dragons is the title of a mostly cooperative storytelling game. There's rules to it, but thankfully none of the rest of us had to know more than look at a record sheet, tell what a number was, track a few numbers, roll some dice and act out what you wanted to say. Add in all the bravado of soldiers telling stories and it got pretty intense."

Athena provides the physical pause on Michael's rant. "Easy there, you're salivating and beginning to spit some. I know you get excited with this, but rein it in. Got to say though, if the reality of dragons is anything like the fantasy, I'll pass on meeting them."
Athena Misane, Fire Service Pilot and Combat Veteran
Parry: 5, Toughness: Dinosaur Leather Long Coat Only: 10(2) or Dinosaur Leather and Ceramic Vest Personal Armor and Long Coat: 17(7) Base: 7
Powers and Benny/Wound/ISP tracking
User avatar
Nardal Longwalker
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:36 pm

Re: 04 - Medicine Run

Post by Nardal Longwalker »

"This is a most curious world," muses Nardol. "Yes, I had a good friend who is a Sandglass Dragon. She often accompanied my tribe on our desert wanderings, taking the form of a Fennodi when we encountered others to avoid notice. Quite a charming lady, and an expert at dice games, perhaps somewhat like your 'Dungeons and Dragons'."
Nardol Longwalker
Character Name: Nardol Longwalker
Parry:3, Toughness: 10/4
ISP:
20 /20
Wounds: 0
Fatigue: 0

Bennies: 3
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”