Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Conditions, the cloud cover makes it pretty murky, -2 to ranged attacks and -2 to notice checks.
All players receive a benny from the joker draw!
Survive this and you are home free.
Rise and fall of the Samas
The flying machine of death swoop in fast and furious and then disapear off your scopes and from sight. There is a moment when everything just goes quiet as the 13th flys, dances, and drives past the ornate mountain homes towards the entrance to the black market base. Folks stand or cower on the balconies of these five homes waving at the 13th as they approach thinking the mighty heroes have driven off the CS. The fifth home is a bit different that the rest, it looks like some kind of robotic horse woman is lying on the balcony tied to a bomb. With that exception the men, women, and families of the Hyperion corporation have absolutely no idea of the terror that is about to be unleashed.
A lone voice echoes across the misty mountains laughing in arrogance. Captain Lyboc’s voice. Five long range missiles slamn into the mountains above the folks waving at their favorite rock band ( Yup some folks have Dries Marbles Left Tees). As the firey rock slides into their homes you have to wonder what kind of sadistic madman is at the helm of these CS troops. To make matters worse the rock, and explosions make it terribly complicated for anyone trying to make it to the entrance of Xenith base. Shards, boulders, flaming explosions knock craft after craft threatening to ground them horribly into the mountain side or push them off the narrow path. Lasers and missiles spew forth from Lyyboc’s spider skull walker which has taken up defensive position in front of the Xenith base entrance.
Over the radio the 13th hear Lyyboc’s voice, ” You mentioned my father like you knew him. He is a madman compared to me... Perhaps more pragmatic in dealing with the devil. The end of the earth draws close for you as my angel’s of hell take their splendid ride... Jude, I’ll be sure to let me sister see you one last time before you get strung up... Now!!”
At his command the Samas’ break cloud cover and angle in on the 13th in three distinct groups of 8. The first 8 swarm arround the flyer preparing to let loose with a hail of rail gun fire. Flint raises an eye as the impending death wakes him up from his old man slumber. He whispers, ” Fuuuuck...”
The next 8 move into the Zone ranger getting ready to open fire with rail gun fire and smoke grendes, but it is just a timely feint to let three Samas land on top of the Zone. The last of Cantrell’s former dog boy pack. You can hear the three dog boy PA’s loud speakers overlapping each other as they complete each other’s sentences. ” Comining in Hot.. hot hot hot! Time to smash and stash, you heard the Captain my brothers. Pull out Cantrell and Jude... Everyone else dies.”
” Woa... Woa did he say that, I guess he kinda did huh?”
Giant chain swords thrum and hum as the PA’s jump jets help the dogboys close the distance. ” I got the Dakka guns, you two take out the windsheild!”
An explosion occurs right where Butcher and Nici were located. Nici’s shot claps thunder and goes wide then her Samas is blown to bits by a fusion rocket. Butcher’s voice laughs over his PA, ” One Maverick down!”
. Butcher laughs and howls very pleased with himself. He taps his communicator and hold up a horseman’s cyber leg for all to see. Over the comms you all hear, ” One last missile for that horse bitch that helped you leave us Cantrell... I hope her face plagues your dreams! Haha, Jude look at your sister fall. I was half looking forward to the wedding.”
Jude’s sister, Nici’s was exploded out of her PA forcefully through the air and is now plumetimg down the mountain. As luck would have it her trajectory will take her close, within arms reach of the Zooming Zone ranger. Her desperate cry reveals she is very much alive,”Jude!!!!!!”
Butcher waves at her as she tumbles to her could be death and aims his next rocket at the Zone.
The last 8 Samas swirl arround Nadine using their ariel maneuverability to keep the big Titan occupied. They swirl and twirl in an elegant dance of distracting death. Max realizes the Spider Skull walker has a bead on him if someone does not take it out first. Perhaps adding insult to injury the gunner pops on the Comms, ” So your Max huh? They call me Titan Killer, 6 Titan kills under my belt. Looking forward to number seven. No hard feelings I hope.”
What happens next is only spoken around campfires in hushed whispers as a legend and myth. Black market scouts keeping an eye on the chase are sworn to secrecy. The CS classifies the action top secret and redacts the commanding officers report. Rumors of a crazy and a Zone ranger spread like wildfire over the lands of Arkansas and Missouri. The end outcome has the CS Samas instead of being in a superior position removed to a moderate disatvantage. Llyboc himself punctuates the inevitable fubar the CS experinces, ” What the frack? Whose is driving that rocket sled on rails!? Some kind of suicide jockey?”
Player directions: Consult the direction map below. Instead of diving in to give each character a special occ I left everything in the shared narative. It will be on the player and their dice results to describe the always complicated roll and feel free to explore any NPC’s saved from the mountain homes.
Step 1: Are you shaken? I do not think anyone is.
- Unshake normally, and if you are shaken as you move into the below steps you are at -2.
Step 2: Its always Complicated! Do to the long range balstic missiles exploding all around AND part of the mountain sliding down upon you...
- Active Participants(Drivers, pilots, runners): Make a maneuvering Trait Roll(Piloting, driving, agility): Fail and you either take a level of fatigue from bumps or brusies if running, or consult the out of control table(use out of control if piloting or driving)
- Passengers: Make an agility check or suffer a level of fatigue from a bump or bruise.
Step 3: Its time for Action: Each of the below takes an action and informs you on what you can do. The scene penalty and set up is below for each of the vehicles. The out of position penalty really only affects attack options.
- Zone Ranger with the Joker(Jitters, Jude, Cantrell) All get +2 to trait rolls and damage. No scene penalty for being out of position. And anyone attacking you must use the strike back action. Defensive Driving -2 to be hit.
- TK Flyer with Ace (Libertas, Flint) No scene penalty for being out of position. And anyone attacking you must use the strike back action. Offensive driving +2 to hit.
- Max and Nadine. Nine ( super sad ). You are severly out of position -4 and can only use the strike back action another -4 for firing blind as the Samas and their allies go before you. Defensive two step -2 to be hit.
- Attacking your target: Your position is listed above by vehicle. Use that scene penalty if so desired. Please keep in mind the overall misty mountain cloud cover penalty of -2 for ranged attacks. If on a vehicle you would take a -2 to hit from the unstable platform penalty.
- Reducing Penalties: Any ability a character has that reduces penalties to hit maybe used to reduce any to hit penalty as it represents a general combination of range, cover, illumination, hit location penalties.
- Get Creative: You can also do something else not listed here. One such possibility is to make an Agility roll at -2 to save Nici. This would be subject to the unstable platform if applicable.
- Those attacked can always strike back(this applies to any enemies you attack and Max/Nadine... it is a blind attack at -4 penalty added to your positional penalty).
- Drama Strikes: There does seem to be some folks in some nearby mountain homes that need to be saved from long range missiles and a rock slide.
- Dramatic task at -2, 5 successes needed(Group total)...
Step 4: Phase 2 Narration: Players narrate your action in-conjunction with the scene the GM set forth for you.