1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Adventures in Korvosa and Beyond
Post Reply
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

The day dawns, and each one of you finds a pristine card from a
Don’t worry if you don’t know what a harrow deck is yet; the mechanics of the harrow deck will be explained to you when it becomes relevant for the story. Just know that harrow decks are used in a certain type of Varisian fortune telling, and that complete harrow decks are actually fairly pricey (by non-adventurer standards).
in your possession. Kaja finds hers stuck to the bristles of the brush she uses on Ludwig every day. Ump’Tup finds his inside his favorite saucepan. Vargan’s is tucked away in the pocket of his sturdy leather jacket. Morri’s is folded into the leather wrap where she keeps her thieves’ tools. And Berkeley finds his stuck to the back of his symbol of Gozreh.

Each card has on the back this note: I know what Gadrean did to you. He wronged me as well. I know where he lives, but I cannot strike at him on my own. Come to my home at 3 Lancet Street at sunset. Others of like mind will be there. Gadrean must face his fate. Justice must be done.

Some cursory asking around tells you that the address on your harrow card belongs to a fortune teller of minor local renown named Zellara. Maybe you plan to go from the moment you receive your card, or maybe you wait until just before sunset to make your decision. Whatever the case, as the sun goes down, each of you finds yourself at the address.

The door is unlocked, and inside you find a humble home consisting of a single cozy chamber. A fragrant haze of flowers and strong spice emanates from several sticks of incense smoldering in wall-mounted burners that look like butterfly-winged elves. The smoke gives the room a dreamy feel.

The walls are draped with brocaded tapestries, one showing a black-skulled beast juggling human hearts, and another showing a pair of angels dancing atop a snow-blasted mountain. A third tapestry on the far wall depicts a tall, hooded figure shrouded in mist, holding a flaming sword in a skeletal hand.

Several brightly colored rugs cover the floor, but the room’s only furnishings are a wooden table covered by a bright red throw cloth and several elegant, tall-backed chairs. A basket covered by blue cloth sits under the table.

A note on the table reads, Thank you for coming. I had to step out for a bit but will return shortly. Please, have a seat while you wait. The basket under the table has bread and drink for you all.

Please introduce yourselves to your fellow vengeance-seekers and describe what your character does in this situation. Share as much or as little as feels appropriate to you as you wait for the return of your hostess.
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Ump'Tup
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Ump'Tup »

Upon finding the card, Ump'Tup squints at it to determine if it is magical or not. It sure seems to have appeared magically out of no where. After turning it about this way and that, Ump'Tup gives it a little bend test. He doesn't bend it enough to mark or deform the card. The little goblin just wants to check if it behaves like a card should. He makes quiet, high pitched insquisitive sounds as he examines the card.

He gives it a sniff for good measure because one never can be too sure. Then Ump'Tup looks around, despite being in his private hidey hole slash current residnce, to make sure no one can see him. Then he gives a lick. Completely satisfied that it is a mostly mundane card, Ump'tup flips the card over and licks it again. Just to be sure. Then he pokes it into an inner pocket of his hodge-podge armor and scutters along in pursuit of the origins of this mystery card and message.

Lof, a human urchin slash occasional errand boy slash one time unwitting guinea pig knows the area the message describes and is able to direct Ump'Tup to the fortune teller's house for a coin. The excitable alchemist would have gone straight there if the meat pie vendor wasn't selling the most scrumptious-smelling of pies. And if there wasn't a shiny metal bit just barely poking out of a pile of refuse down that alley. Also, if some less friendly urchins had not have attempted to accost him for the apple core from that same pile, he might have even arrived early. And so on.

Instead, these and many other distractions keep Ump'Tup from ariving at a decent hour. Greedily munching on a handful of something of dubious origin, he uncermoniously opens Zellara's home with invitation in hand. He steps into the room, looks around and waves the invitation.

"Hello! Hehehe," Ump'Tup giggles out, "I am Ump'Tup!"

By way of introduction, Ump'Tup prances around the house examining the odds and ends, especially taking note of the colorful tapestries, singing a song.

Gadraem Lamm
Such a big man
King of urchins
By way of hurtin's

The king welcomes all
Smilling and tall
Until its too late
To make your escape

Too big to earn
Is time to spurn
So was Ump'Tup grabbed
To be beaten and stabbed
Ump'Tup
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 6(2)
Aignment Chaotic Neutral
Relevant Combat Effects
  • Darkvision: Goblin eyes are able to pierce the darkness. They ignore penalties for Illumination up to 10" (20 yards).
    Size -1
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature


Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Morri »

There was some puzzlement on Morri's behalf when she found some of her stuff had been touched in the small, rooftop shack that she called home. Granted she possessed a few meagre belongings that she secreted away least anyone else get their grubby mitts on, but somebody or something had certainly been touched them. It was her thieves' toolkit, more a memento of a childhood that she'd half-considered ditching rather than something she used on a regular basis. The toolkit was one of the few things she'd kept, despite the mixed feelings that arose from the memories it sparked.

But who had disturbed it's hiding place and, more importantly, why?

A quick look-over showed that nothing had been taken, rather a card from a harrow deck with an attached note had been placed within the leather wrap that housed the tools. She knew that a harrow deck was something to do with the Varisians, her familial heritage that she was vaguely aware of but didn't possess any great knowledge about. It raised more questions than it answered, though the mention of Gadrean made her frown. There was a name she hoped to never hear again, least not after...well...

The note still piqued her interest and a little digging for information later revealed the address on the note to be the home of a fortune teller, a Varisian which matched up with the card. So round sunset she was on the roof of a house overlooking the address, the card in one of her pouches as she weighed up her options. Morri noticed others had come to the address, perhaps summoned like she was?

It was when she spotted a goblin, one she recognised as Ump'Tup, that Morri made up her mind and proceeded to make her own into the house and the single chamber within where the others she'd spied had gathered. Ump'Tup was his usual exited self, bouncing around the room as he took in every detail and munching on something that had either come from the gutter or a merchant's stall as day's end. "Ugh, I hope wot yer eating Ump'Tup wasn't dredged out o' the Narrows. Least tell me it came o' the back o' a donkey cart."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

Finding
Image
when she goes to brush Ludwig's wiry bristles, Kaja looks it over. Humming a deep and throaty tune, she modulates her voice to imitate some of the grunting her dear Ludwig does, as she brushes him, staring at the card. A bit later, a few inquiries with various runners for the company known for their discretion, and she knows what awaits her at the address. Somewhat molified, that afternoon she dresses in her most protective clothing, brings her canesword in its sheath, and adds a few other weapons to her belt - her throwing weights and daggers. On the way, she stops and grabs some food for her and Ludwig.

Entering the harrower's shop, she finds herself to be the first. After a quick look around, noting exits and where one could hide, she has Ludwig Lay down with her seeming to lean back on him. In fact she is merely touching him with her back to keep him calm. He stirs when people enter, but doesn't move unless someone does something threatening. She greets each who arrives in turn saying, "Our hostess has stepped out, per her note just there. I moved the bread out and poured some water for myself and Ludwig here. Call me Kaja" Her voice has a raspy yet rich and full quality to it. Its not hard to imagine the rumbling of earth accompanying her voice. She does not mention she has not had any of the bread, though she did tear off a chunk, giving half to her boar companion. Her cane lays on her lap as if a fancy accessory, not the deadly tool it is.

She notes the goblin's arrival with a mixture of amusement and worry. She touches Ludwig reassuringly so he does not make a fuss as the goblin dances around. His tune has her tapping along, adding a deep and earthy humming tune to accompany it. She claps a bit at the end, though Ludwig snorts and huffs at him as he gets too close once. As he finishes, Kaja offers him and Morri a bit of bread. She addresses Morri. "So you know each other. Wonderful. You can call me Kaja, as I said. And you are? I am curious how you came to know of this meeting though. Personally I received a note on a Harrow Card. I wonder at the meaning of it though." She looks to Ump'Tup and asks. "I'll be honest I was not expecting a goblin here. Well met."

Notice 1d6: [2] = 2 , 1d6: [3] = 3 - To take in the house and see any clues to meaning or purpose, as well as to find any hiding places or exits in case she needs them. FAIL!
Performance 1d8+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d6: [4] = 4 - To accompany Ump'Tup SUCCESS!
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Morri »

Kaja Earthblooded wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:36 pm She notes the goblin's arrival with a mixture of amusement and worry. She touches Ludwig reassuringly so he does not make a fuss as the goblin dances around. His tune has her tapping along, adding a deep and earthy humming tune to accompany it. She claps a bit at the end, though Ludwig snorts and huffs at him as he gets too close once. As he finishes, Kaja offers him and Morri a bit of bread. She addresses Morri. "So you know each other. Wonderful. You can call me Kaja, as I said. And you are? I am curious how you came to know of this meeting though. Personally I received a note on a Harrow Card. I wonder at the meaning of it though." She looks to Ump'Tup and asks. "I'll be honest I was not expecting a goblin here. Well met."
"From the streets." Morri replied a little curtly, she was a little wary of the dwarf whom she'd just met and wasn't sure what their stake in the affair was. The apparent involvement of Gadrean in the whole thing made her feel uncomfortable and she still suspected a trap of some description, bad memories had a way of sticking around. Though she still gave her name as the dwarf had asked. "Mórrígan Ní Mháille, though most folk find it easier ta use Morri."

"Same." Said Morri, producing the Harrow Card she received. "Tis Varisian, we're ta wonder at the meaning o' the meaning."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Berkley Dig »

Waking, Berkeley rolls out of bed and falls to his knees, beginning his morning prayers to Gozreh who has twice smiled down on him. It's the least he can do as one of the priests of Gozreh's temple here in the Inner Sea region. Berkeley feels a connection, it's weak, but just it's presence gives him comfort. He then reaches into the drawer of his side table to pull out the amulet of Gozreh that he wears like a pendant around his neck. The amulet is made of wood, embossed with melted and colored metal depicting three green leaves blowing in a whirlwind of waves and water. The closest and largest leaf has a drip of water dangling from the tip of the leaf. He remembers finding the symbol as a youth and being drawn to it -- not knowing what it was, or what it meant. The symbol has been cracked in half. A pair of metal staples and wax have been used to repair the holy symbol. He remembers the elderly Dwennon telling him, "Anyone who survives being beaten to death and thrown into the sea must have Gozreh on his side. That and we found his holy symbol on you." Berkeley doesn't remember the beatings or even anything that happened that day, but he hasn't forgotten the painful recovery. Grabbing the amulet, Berkeley notices a Harrow card on the back. That's not good, he thinks to himself. Why would one of the priest's put this on his amulet? He takes a careful inventory of his scarce belongings. A small shield and shortsword hidden beneath a loose floor board. Nothing else appears to be missing. Not that he owns much of value beyond the amulet, the martial contraband (found washed up on shore) for a cleric, and his cleric robes that were given to him as a member of the temple.

Gaedran Lamm. Just thinking the name brings reminders of the pain. Perhaps the time for action approaches. He's prepared and waited. Perhaps this is the sign from Gozreh that he's awaited.

Appearing at the place and time on the card, Berkeley enters the room holding his shield and shortsword, seeing a large boar beside a dwarf woman. He sees an overly stimulated goblin bouncing between the tapestries. A red headed woman speaks to the dwarf. Berkeley nods. Sees the food and water. These must be the others of like mind. A hint of anticipation flitters across Berkeley's face thinking that justice approaches and he says out loud. "Finally."

Berkeley shows his Harrow card. "Berkeley Dig. Cleric of Gozreh. I don't believe I've met any of you; but, if you're all here because of a Harrow card, I imagine we all have one thing in common."
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Looking at the card, and around at his modest room, Falderol tries to figure out how it ended up on the floor. Or more accurately standing in the crack in the floor. Knowing there is no reasonable way it could have fallen that way he wonders who would have placed it in such a manner. Reading the back he decides answers may be available at the meeting.

Arriving at the location early Falderol waits down the way a bit and watches. As the fifth person enters the dwelling he thinks to himself "Two humans, a dwarf (with a boar), a half orc, and a goblin. An interesting enough mix. I wonder which one sent the card." Deciding he has waited long enough he also enters.

Ducking a bit so his horns don't smack the frame Falderol walks through the doorway and stops. "Greetings all. Fair day for get together. So who is our host?" Spying the note he steps forward and reads it. Nodding he settles into a chair. "I guess we have more of a wait then." Reaching for some bread and wine anyone could easily spy a wooden ring on his left hand. Though it sits where a wedding ring would the symbol of Pharasma sits in place of any gems.

Glancing towards the boar he looks at the dwarf. "Are we to have some meat with the rest of this?" he asks with a sparkle of humor in his eyes.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Vargan Orok
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Vargan Orok »

Fining a mysterious card in his pocket causes Vargan to give a low growl. Quickly he checks all his belongings to ensure nothing else has been tampered with. He does not like being made a mark and endeavours to find out more about his "host" before taking up the invitation. Moving through the back streets and allies he asks around, calls in favours, and busts a few heads to learn what he can. In the end, however, the burning need to settle a score drives him to the fortune teller's house.

As introductions begin, he remains silent, looming quietly in the background of the conversation, his bulky frame not really allowing him to be conspicuous. He lets out a sharp grunt when the goblin starts singing and dancing, but says nothing.
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Ump'Tup
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Ump'Tup »

Morri wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:12 am It was when she spotted a goblin, one she recognised as Ump'Tup, that Morri made up her mind and proceeded to make her own into the house and the single chamber within where the others she'd spied had gathered. Ump'Tup was his usual exited self, bouncing around the room as he took in every detail and munching on something that had either come from the gutter or a merchant's stall as day's end. "Ugh, I hope wot yer eating Ump'Tup wasn't dredged out o' the Narrows. Least tell me it came o' the back o' a donkey cart."
Finished with his dance, Ump'tup looks between @Morri, the dubiousness in his hand, and back to Morri. Then he stashes his card and smiles miscieveously.

"It...came..uh fromthebackofadonkey!" Ump'tup rattles off as he shoves the remainder of the 'food' into his mouth with both hands.

A stream of some kind of juice trickles down Ump'tups overstuffed face. It's the scent of something, probably fruit, gone bad, rather than something fresh from a donkey. He bounces over to the fiery headed young woman and gives her a smile that could be considered warm from a goblin.

He simply tells her, "I'm glad you are OK."
Kaja Earthblooded wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:36 pm She notes the goblin's arrival with a mixture of amusement and worry. She touches Ludwig reassuringly so he does not make a fuss as the goblin dances around. His tune has her tapping along, adding a deep and earthy humming tune to accompany it. She claps a bit at the end, though Ludwig snorts and huffs at him as he gets too close once. As he finishes, Kaja offers him and Morri a bit of bread. She addresses Morri. "So you know each other. Wonderful. You can call me Kaja, as I said. And you are? I am curious how you came to know of this meeting though. Personally I received a note on a Harrow Card. I wonder at the meaning of it though." She looks to Ump'Tup and asks. "I'll be honest I was not expecting a goblin here. Well met."
Ump'tup seems about to take a step towards @Kaja Earthblooded when he notices the large boar in the room. Instead, he reaches into a pouch to pull out a small vial. He pops it open and downs the contents. With a snap of his finger, Ump'tups harrow card slips out of its own pocket and starts floating towards Kaja, @Berkeley Dig and @Falderol Grelemis

"Mmmm," he considers, "Maybe we're all here for the same reason. I'm pretty sure Morri is here for the same reason I'm here."
Ump'Tup
Pace: 6(d6); Parry: 5(1); Toughness: 6(2)
Aignment Chaotic Neutral
Relevant Combat Effects
  • Darkvision: Goblin eyes are able to pierce the darkness. They ignore penalties for Illumination up to 10" (20 yards).
    Size -1
Wounds: 0/3; Fatigue: 0/2; PP: 15/15
Bennies: 4/3; Conviction: 0/1
Edit Signature


Image
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

For any who eat it, the bread is a bit stale, but is otherwise tasty.

As you talk amongst yourselves, the door swings quietly open and a Varisian woman with long, dark hair and a discerning look enters the room. She smiles a bit crookedly, though not in an unwelcoming way, and says, ”Good! You came.”

Image

She looks the room over and continues, ”Well, most of you came, at any rate. Still, this should be more than enough for what comes next.

As she speaks, she produces a harrow deck from her pocket and begins idly shuffling the cards.

”Thank you for coming, my friends, and for putting up with my unconventional method of contacting you. I have reason to remain hidden—Gaedren would see great harm done to me if he knew I was reaching out for help. This man has done something terrible to each of you as well, I know.”

She shuffles the cards faster, her eyes resting on each of you in turn as she speaks.

”Gaedren Lamm is a man whose cruelty and capacity to destroy lives are matched only by his gift for avoiding reprisal. A year ago, his thieves stole this, my harrow deck, from me. It is important to me, an heirloom passed down through a dozen generations, and also my sole means of support. When Lamm’s pickpockets stole it, my son Eran tracked them down and returned my deck to me.”

The cards are moving so fast now that it’s all but impossible to track them as they dance and float between her fingers.

”But Gaedren had him followed. The same night Eran brought my deck back to me, Gaedren’s thugs murdered him. I sought help from the Korvosan Guard, of course, but they turned me away. And so I asked around. I paid bribes. I consulted my harrow deck for advice. And recently, I finally found out where Gaedren dwells!”

”He’s holed up in an old fishery north of here, at Westpier 17, where he trains his abducted children to be pickpockets and counts his stolen treasures. This is where you come in: I cannot hope to face this man on my own, and the Guard is of no help. And besides, even if the Guard were willing to help, Gaedren is paid up and would certainly know of their coming well in advance. He has evaded the law for decades like this. But you all know these frustrations. Gaedren has wronged each of you, too. So there we are. It is time for him to pay.”

The shuffling abruptly stops and the sudden absence of the snap of shuffling cards buzzes in your ears.

”So. Will you help me?”
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Kaja Earthblooded
Silver Patron
Silver Patron
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:33 am
Location: Korvosa

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Kaja Earthblooded »

As the old woman speaks, Kaja hears the same sad tale she's heard before. But she hears a details she's never actually heard before: His location. "You have his location, which you offer freely. Whether it helps you or no, I will gladly see this monster pay with his life for the crimes he has committed or had committed at his order. You all seem formiddible. I would love your support, but in the end, Ludwig and I will see this man ends up in a refuse pit as he feeds the worms and any swine that happen to be nearby. But you say he pays off the watch? Do you happen to know how well he pays them? Enough to turn a blind eye, or enough to protect him? There is a gulf between those two positions." As she speaks, she becomes more animated and leans forward some. As she does, she feels Ludwig stir, both hearing and feeling the hostility in his mistress and he begins sniffing the air and turning his head. As he does, Kaja reaches back and scratches him under the chin, both to calm him and reward him for his instincts.

Persuasion 1d8+1: [8]+1 = 9 + 1d8!!: [4] = 4 =13, 1d6+1: [4]+1 = 5 = 13
Common Knowledge 1d6: [5] = 5 , 1d6: [4] = 4 = 5
Kaja the Earthblooded of House Ragan
Kaja Stonesinger Dwarf, Dilettante and Earthcaller Bard; Kaja's Journal
Parry: 6, Toughness: 7 (2)
Benny/Conviction/Wound/Fatigue/PP Tracking
Ludwig, Guard Boar
Image
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Morri »

Morri frowned as she listened, her feelings on the matter were...mixed. After what she'd endured she wanted to keep as much distance as possible between herself and Gaedren, though on the other hand she knew he needed bringing down for as long as he remained a free man he would continue to bring misery and suffering to countless others. Try as she might, she couldn't deny the necessity of bringing Gaedren's cruel reign to an end. Even for her it might she could relax and not have to keep glancing over her shoulder for fear of Gaedren's grasping reach claiming her once again.

She listened as the dwarf, Kaja, spoke before stepping in with questions of her own. "Who did ye get yer information from and how much do ya trust 'em?"
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Berkley Dig »

"I agree with the redhead. I'd like to know where you got your information. I imagine just from that deck of yours? Regardless, I'm sorry about your son. What did you say your name was?" Berkeley waits a bit to allow the woman to answer and then continues, "Can that deck of yours tell how many men Gaedren has protecting him there at the fishery? I'd think it would be safer to have him watched and attack him in transit, than it would to attempt to assault him in his place of residence. Does your deck give any opinion on best opportunity or strategy for your revenge?"
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

She smiles and holds up her hands.

"Good questions, all of them. And where are my manners? I am Zellara.

"As for the guard, they are paid to ignore Gaedren, not to protect him. And not over the entire city; just the handful who patrol the area. The guard is not all corrupt, but they don't exactly send their best and brightest to the old docks."

"He lives there with his wee Lambs and a few of his enforcers who come and go. He puts the kids to work making fish slurry and then sells it around. He hardly ever leaves, as I understand it."

"The building itself is technically owned by the city. Its former owners went out of business and abandoned it, and so by law the city takes ownership and holds it in escrow for at least two years. Gives any relatives or creditors of the former owners time to make a claim on it. I've a friend in the clerk's office who gave me the details on that."

"As for my sources, aye, I have my deck. And like some of you, I have my contacts here and there. Some of them are the less savory sorts, and some of them have their own scores to settle with Gaedren. I couldn't tell you on tactics or approaches; I just know the where, not the how. It's why I need your help."
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Vargan Orok
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 7:04 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Vargan Orok »

Vargan shudders at the mention of the fish plant, his memories so strong that he can almost smell the putrid rotting slurry he made there. It was always a relief to get into the streets as a pick pocket for Gaedren because it meant getting out of the stench. As if being green skinned was bad enough, smelly like fish only made matters worse. The very memory of it all makes him want to vomit.

"I worked the docks for Gaedren in my youth. Going after him on his home turf won't be easy, and they'll be lots of youngin's around. Smells like a bad deal, and not just the fish."
Vargan Orok (Ranger)
Bennies 3/3
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol listens to the story of the fortune teller and is sure most have similar grievances with Gaedren. "I know some of you have escaped from his clutches but we are unsure how many have decided joining and protecting him is their best choice. Presuming we do attack the fishery we can attempt to keep the innocent alive but ensuring the guilty are punished needs to be our priority." Scanning the room for disagreement he continues. "Those that have experience in that area can tell us about the surrounds and those with tactical experience can work out the best approach."
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

@Venatus Vinco, please make a Notice roll at -2.

As a general note to everyone: Gaedren moves his operations around every couple years. Those who had experience with him as a kid will have general knowledge of how he operates but not specific knowledge of this particular hideout.
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron
Posts: 2867
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Pursuit wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:34 pm @Venatus Vinco, please make a Notice roll at -2.
Notice 1d6!!: [13!!] = 13 - 2 = 11
Wild 1d6!!: [3] = 3
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
User avatar
Morri
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Morri »

"Gaedren has moved a few times since, well, yeah...." Responded Morri. "He'll have a handful o' goons watching over the place."

"Don't know much 'bouts his latest den, buts I reckon I can gets close 'nuff fer a looksie up in the Shingles."
Mórrígan 'Morri' Ní Mháille, Human Rogue

Morri Human Rogue
Parry: 6, Toughness: 6 (2)
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

For VVs Eyes Only
@Venatus Vinco, you can tell she is earnest in her desire to take out Gaedren. You can also tell she's not telling you the whole truth about how she knows what she knows, and something about the cabin smells a little off to you. It's musty in here.
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Pursuit
Game Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:21 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Pursuit »

Zellara speaks up, ”As you decide, perhaps you would be willing to let me perform a harrowing for you? The cards speak many stories, and some of them may well help guide you along your path.”

She shuffles the deck expertly, cascading the cards from one hand to the other before riffling and bridging them back into a neat stack.

”Who will be first?”

If any from the party volunteer, Zellara pulls nine cards from the deck, shuffles them, and presents them in a fan, face down, for you to draw. ”Choose one, if you would.” Being from Korvosa, you all know that this step of a harrow is referred to as the Choosing.

THE HARROW
Anyone who would like to participate in a harrow, please go ahead and read which card you receive as part of the Choosing, tagged below. If anyone does not wish to participate in the harrow, disregard the tags below. If anyone would like to back out of the harrow after the Choosing, you may do that as well; just let me know.

Falderol Choosing
You pull The Dance. The card depicts an elegant dancer with a baton mid-spin, and Zellara says, ”Ah, good fortune for you. The Dance is harmony of mind, body, or purpose, and perhaps all three. This card suits you well.” Gain 1 Conviction.
Vargan Choosing
You pull The Demon’s Lantern. The card depicts a swampy scene, with thick trees and long vines hanging down to a forest floor. Small, multicolored lights dance in the air over murky water. The hand and arm of some unfortunate humanoid protrudes from the water, reaching for a handhold as it is inexorably pulled under. ”Hmm. You will face an impossible situation, a pivot point for you and perhaps your companions as well. I think you will be up to the task.” Gain 1 Conviction.
Berkley Choosing
You pull The Juggler. The card depicts a grinning man in travelers clothes wandering through the wilds and juggling various objects. ”Ah! The juggler!” She looks you over and says, ”you will need to find a way to balance multiple roles during the coming storm. At times, you will be pushed from your comfort zone. Be wary, my young friend.”
UmpTup Choosing
You pull The Locksmith. The card depicts a green-cloaked figure holding a keyring attached to a thick chain. ”The Locksmith. You will find, perhaps soon, a key that will help unlock your destiny. The other side has its eyes on you.” Gain 1 Conviction.
Kaja Choosing
The Peacock. The card depicts a beaked, feathered creature with batlike wings and a long, barbed tail. ”The peacock. Beware, dear, of shifting alliances and motivations. Personal shifts could spell fortune or failure for you.”
Morri Choosing
The Rabbit Prince. The card depicts an anthropomorphic rabbit wearing fine clothing and holding the hilt of a broken sword. ”Battle can be capricious,” Zellara states, ”so be on your guard for opportunities to take advantage.” Gain 1 Conviction.
Image
GM Bennies: 6/6
User avatar
Berkley Dig
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Berkley Dig »

Berkley pulls a card from Zellara's hand, "The Juggler, huh. If there's to be a storm. I'm one for it. I am tired of inaction. As for myself, I will take this opportunity. If the Redhead, what did you say your name was, Morri? If the redhead can give us some reconnaisance on Gaedren's fish plant, I think we do that and come up with a plan."
Berkley Dig
Berkeley Dig Cleric Parry: 6, Toughness:w/ leather jacket: 07(2);
4 Bennies, 0 Conviction, 0 Wounds, and 0 Fatigue
Beginning 3
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
  • Expenditures/Gains
0 Conviction
  • Expenditures/Gains
Wounds: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls) Fatigue: 0/3 (-0 to all rolls)
User avatar
Falderol Grelemis
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am

Re: 1. A Harrowed Meeting.

Post by Falderol Grelemis »

Falderol watches Berkley pull his card. "Interesting. Let's see what I get." After listening to the explanation he nods. "Harmony of thought and action. That would define my attitude regarding this assault. Thank you," he states looking from the card to Zellara.
Full Sheet
Parry: 7
Toughness: 9(3)
Post Reply

Return to “Adventures”