Alecto Interludes

Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Alecto Interludes

Post by Icosa »

Second Quarter

[dice]0[/dice]

"Alecto." The Black Company recruiter repeated her name with just a bit too much emphasis on the middle 'c' sound. AlEKto. "Is that a codename? Real name?"

The woman seated across from him looked young...but no one was gullible enough to accept that at face value. The recruiter had seen waifs turn into ravening monsters. He'd had to gun some of them down...praying that they wouldn't turn back into some forlorn-looking human girl after choking out their last. Sometimes that prayer was answered. Only sometimes.

She replied, "It is my real name." No elaboration. Not even an indication she realized he was looking for more.

The recruiter tapped on his datapad and the display turned off. "You used to work for some folks who...apart from just being a group of professional rivals...are pretty infamous. Why? And just as importantly, why did you decide to stop?"

Alecto shifted the focal point of her eyes to the datapad for a moment. She hoped it would be taken as a visual cue of contrition. While her true 'feelings' on the matter of her previous employment didn't quite map to human emotions of guilt, it was a reasonable equivalence. It had been a mistake, made in ignorance and in recognition of very limited options.
previously
There had been what looked like a flash of light. It was the phased array cameras in her eyes reinitializing, and she'd known it immediately. Her first true sensory information had been cold. Moisture. Something touching her shoulder and upper arm. The sound of aspiration, something breathing nearby. The associations were slow at first. Rain. Mud. An animal. More data required for positive identification. She had opened her eyes and looked over at the creature that was snuffling her left arm...seemingly confused. She looked edible, but didn't smell edible. A compulsion to speak seized her. "I am Alecto," she informed the creature...it looked vaguely like a squat rat the size of a German Shepard dog. "A series...a series..." The words broke off, as error flags began sieging her central processes. Vast swatches of experiential memory had been reformatted. "I am sorry," Alecto reported to the bewildered mega-rodent. "I have had a problem and require technical assistance." Her onboard radio responded to her ping, and she sent off a standed coded inquiry...but no handshake was returned. "Can you help me?" The rat-thing decided it had had enough, and waddled off into the rain, leaving her alone and half-buried in the muck where she'd been lying for some time by then.
"I joined them at a time when I had almost nothing. No social connections. No possessions other than the things on my person. No support, and very little familiarity with my surroundings. Their recruiting requirements were lax. I had only to prove that I had skill with weapons, and assert that I valued the accomplishment of an objective over any and all other considerations."

The man across the desk from her nodded gravely. "And you made that assertion."

"Yes."

"Was it true?"

"At the time, I believed it to be. However, I had opportunities over time to view different kinds of relationships...and to judge which were more or less successful."

The recruiter leaned back in his chair for a moment, trying to get a sense of this 'Alecto.' She didn't have any tells, but she had that flat affect thing that made him think she could calmly state the sky was purple and raining fire, and not flutter a lash. Was she traumatized? Was she stable? That wasn't his main job though...there'd be evaluations for that. He probed again.

"So, you quit because..."

Alecto lifted her eyes to meet his. "They encouraged what I considered to be an adversarial relationship between teammates and officers. Some thrived in that environment, but only those who had difficulty forming relationships based on mutual trust. Further, the assignments they accepted were often needlessly destructive; targeting communities and individuals who had no military value or role."

"And this troubled you...?"
previously
The locals were building a structure to house livestock.

Alecto had left the bar where her squadmates were 'raising hell,' which apparently meant imbibing mildly toxic fluid until their brain chemistry was significantly altered and proceeding to indulge in antisocial behavior. Her departure was both pragmatic and aesthetic. They had expected her to engage in that activity as well, but she wasn't familiar enough with the symptoms of 'being hammered' to simulate it effectively, and didn't want to inform them of why. She had seen them using robots for target practice before.

Aesthetically, it was troubling. It wasn't that she didn't approve...this was something she had no standing to judge in this manner...it was that she didn't understand. They were each born with an innate capacity to exercise volition, to comprehend the world and themselves without any viewpoint but their own. There was a purity to that.

Why then were they seemingly so eager to throw that away, and bury the advanced capabilities of their minds?

AND MORE HERE BUT TOO TIRED NOW
She paused, re-sampling her conclusions and reactions. "The moments I can remember in my existence that have had the most meaning came from taking part in a community, and seeing how cooperative efforts make possible results that would be impossible as individuals. By extension, I conclude that networks of communities cooperating can achieve still greater results. I came to realize that my former employer was in the business of disrupting these networks, these communities."

"So I left."

The recruiter frowned and laid it out on the table. "Alecto, I'm hearing that you didn't want to be part of them, but I'm fuzzy on what you DO want. Why mercenary work? Why get up in the morning? What do you have in your head that makes you get moving even when everything in you wants to shut down?"

For a moment Alecto is quiet at that. The truth was that she had always been focused on more immediate goals. Secure a source of energy. Secure expert technical help in case of malfunction. Secure funding for needed equipment. What came next? Extrapolation was not useful. It could tell her what to do, but not why to do it.

"I am not sure I can explain in a way you will understand," she said at last.

The recruiter pounced on that. "Try me. Understanding's my job."

"Do you know if you were made for a purpose?"

He blinked at the unexpected jolt of philosophy, but his reply came easily enough. "I've never been a very religious man, I'm afraid. My parents probably had their reasons for having me, but that's not the same thing as my having 'a purpose.'"

She nodded. "That is my understanding as well. However, for the sake of my explanation, try to imagine that you were made for a purpose. A specific purpose. Imagine that you know that beyond all doubt."

"All right, go ahead."

"Now imagine that, despite knowing that much, you have no knowledge of what that purpose IS. There is circumstantial evidence, but these clues are subject to interpretation and subjective context. They are not conclusive. Now, with these givens, what would you want?"

He opened his mouth to say he'd want to find out what it was...but hesitated just before speaking.

Alecto watched him. "Would you want to know your function and take the risk that it would then define you? Would it be a relief to know your place, or a burden to know that you could never be anything else? Would you ever be able to be something more, or something different, than this program inside you?"

The recruiter was silent. He didn't know what to say. This was far outside the normal discussion of motivations.

Fortunately Alecto seemed oblivious to his discomfort. She went on. "In my time, I have been building an understanding of this universe and my place in it, with no requirements beyond simply continuing to exist. It was at first difficult. Now though...now I know I want to continue building my understanding. I do not want it to be built for me. My answer to your question, what do I want?"

She set her hands on the desk, palms down. "This. All of this. What is happening right now. I want it to continue. You asked also why mercenary work? Because my abilities and my needs are well-suited to mercenary work. You asked what 'keeps me going when I want to shut down?'" Alecto considered that. "I do not know. I have not yet experienced a desire to be shut down. The experience is jarring, and I wish to avoid it."

Alecto inhaled a deep breath, then said with some finality, "Does this answer your question to your satisfaction?"

He found himself involuntarily echoing that deep breath. It was a crazy world out there...small wonder they got crazies wandering in from it. Trouble was, he had met enough folks to feel the difference between crazy and sane, even when sane sounded crazy. The things she said hinted at a big story, and one he probably wouldn't ever hear the whole of. But...had she answered to his satisfaction?

The recruiter held out a hand. There'd be more tests of course, and the CO might not approve the recommendation, but...he didn't get where he was by being bad at knowing where the dice would fall.

"Welcome to the Black Company."

[dice]1[/dice]
OOC Comments
Bennies: 4/4 Red Bennies: 1
Toughness: 21 (9 armor), Parry 9
Notice: 1d8 (+2 visual)

Character Name: Alecto
Race: Android
Iconic Framework: MARS Techno Warrior
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (d12+2), Vigor d8
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6 (8); Parry: 6 (9); Toughness: 11 (+2 in armor, and +7 armor)

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Outsider (-1) (Applies when true robotic nature is revealed)
Distinctive (Concealable; a Wound reveals) (-1)
Restricted Path (No ISP/PPE) (-2)
Wanted (Major) (-2) (CS, Federation would destroy immediately; also mysterious creating faction hasn't forgotten her)
Dependency (Power) (-2)

Skills: 15 (5 fight/shoot/throw)
Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances
Clueless (Major - Is rebuilding knowledge of the world after having suffered near-total memory loss)
Stubborn (Minor - Has great confidence in ability to calculate outcomes; tends to reject counterarguments)
Cautious (Minor - Always wants to plan for every contingency; cover every angle)

Edges
Adaptable: Attractive
Upgradable
Brawny (+1 Toughness, 8x Str carrying)
Brave (+2 vs fear)
Ambidextrous (ignore offhand penalty)
Rich (5000creds at start, 2 rolls on gear tables)
Filthy Rich (20,000 at start, 3 more rolls)
Quick Draw (draw weapon as free action, +2 to Agility to fast-draw)
Two-Fisted (ignore multi-action penalty for using off hand)
Level-headed (draw two initiative cards and use best)
Sweep (Make single Fighting attack and apply to all adjacent targets at -2)
Rock and Roll (Ignore recoil penalties on full-auto shots)
Strong Willed (+2 to Taunt and Intimidate; +2 on Tests of Wills)
Elan (+2 on rolls resulting from using a Benny)
Improved Sweep (Fighting attacks made with Sweep suffer no penalty)

Upgrades (Cybernetics): (Max Strain: 12)
Core Electronics (1)
* Interface jack: +4 Repair or Common knowledge for linked equipment, 20 mile radio
Optics Package (1)
* +2 sight Notice, IR/Nightsight, 50x distance/20x macro, +2 vs blinding, record images
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
Cyber-Wired Reflexes 1 (1)
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
* 4d skill chip (Fighting)
Targeting Eye (1)
* +2 Shooting on calibrated weapons
Nano-Repair System (2)
* Heal 1 Wound/day, +4 vs Bleeding Out
Built in Weaponry (1)
* 1 Vibroblade (purchased: 13,500)

Gear
Wilk's 237 Laser Pistol (2d6+1, AP4, RoF 1, 16eclip, 15/30/60, semiauto)
JA-11 Laser Rifle (3d6 laser or 3d6+1 ion, AP2, RoF 1, 60eclip, 30/60/120, can do MD for 10x shot power +snapfire, reduces range penalties by 2)
Vibro-Sword (Str+1d10 MD)
NG-E4 Plasma Ejector (3d10 MD, no AP, RoF 1, 12eclip, 24/48/96, snapfire, affects least-armored location, can ignite)
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun
Range: 70/140/280
Damage: 2d10+4
RoF: 3
AP: 4
Shots: 20
Weight: 60 lbs
Cost: 75,000
Notes: Mega Damage, no Snapfire penalty. Shots listed are number of full bursts.
SFD Huntsman Armor (+3 armor mod)

The Fury - Signature Item
Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Loudspeaker, 10 mile radio, laser rangefinder, nightvision
Min str d8
96 hours operation on full charge

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Re: Alecto Interludes

Post by Icosa »

Third Quarter

Interlude roll: 1d4 (4)

Time: The night after our attack on the bridge.

The team was settling in for the night, selecting watch shifts, when Alecto pounced on a rare opportunity to have everyone's ear at the same time. The decision wasn't easy, in part because she had waited so long to have this discussion. Given circumstances though, she determined that it would be better to experience any repercussions now rather than at a moment of the enemy's choosing. Further, there was a consideration that the social consequences could be reduced if the news came from herself, of her own volition.

"Excuse my interruption, please," Alecto said, bringing the conversations to a pause. "There's something I want to tell you. I have in the past implied that I possess cybernetics to explain various abilities. While it was not untrue for me to say my eyes, or arms, are artificial...it was passively deceptive to permit those I told to believe they were cybernetic. No part of me is cybernetic. My entire body, and mind, is artificial."

The declaration raised eyebrows though didn't provoke an immediate denunciation...most of the squad was too stoic to let obvious reactions slip, and those who did were mostly confused.

"This may seem out of context, but I have two specific reasons for telling you now. The first is that there is a possibility our opposition knows, or will find out. I wanted you to hear it from me first. My experience with people's reaction to this information is...limited. I am not sure what to expect. This is also why I waited until now to tell you."

"The second reason is more complex. My continuity of experience begins just over three years ago. I became active, half-buried near a riverbank. My experiential memory from prior to this moment is fragmented, with many sectors missing and many more corrupted beyond my ability to repair. As a consequence...I do not know who, or what I was before being rebooted from hardcoded core processes."

"It is possible, if unlikely, that our adversary could find out. If...unflattering...it could be used to damage the Black Company further."

She took a breath in. Her voice used air like any human's...it was designed to emulate the real thing as closely as possible, though she could transmit radio signals without any need for vocalization.

"My remaining with the unit is a small, but non-zero risk. If it is your judgment that I should leave, I will do so."

Alecto paused, then added, "Understand that I do not want to leave. I believe I can be of greater assistance than I am a risk. I have invested time and effort into making a place for myself here, and in developing my relationships with you. You are all valuable to me. The Black Company as a whole, as well as each of you as individuals."

"I will give you time and space for any discussion you may need to reach consensus, and await your decision."
OOC Comments

Charisma: +2; Pace: 6 (8); Parry: 6 (9); Toughness: 11 (+2 in armor, and +7 armor)

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Wanted (Major) (-2) (CS, Federation would destroy immediately; also mysterious creating faction hasn't forgotten her)
Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances
Clueless (Major - Is rebuilding knowledge of the world after having suffered near-total memory loss)
Stubborn (Minor - Has great confidence in ability to calculate outcomes; tends to reject counterarguments)
Cautious (Minor - Always wants to plan for every contingency; cover every angle)

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
* Interface jack: +4 Repair or Common knowledge for linked equipment, 20 mile radio
Optics Package (1)
* +2 sight Notice, IR/Nightsight, 50x distance/20x macro, +2 vs blinding, record images
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
JA-11 Laser Rifle (3d6 laser or 3d6+1 ion, AP2, RoF 1, 60eclip, 30/60/120, can do MD for 10x shot power +snapfire, reduces range penalties by 2)
NG-E4 Plasma Ejector (3d10 MD, no AP, RoF 1, 12eclip, 24/48/96, snapfire, affects least-armored location, can ignite)
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun
Notes: Mega Damage, no Snapfire penalty. Shots listed are number of full bursts.

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Ember

Post by Ember »

Ember is unfazed.

"We all have history. I know I've done things that wouldn't look too good... and if you lost your memories, that wasn't really the same 'you' then, was it? I wish I had that excuse instead of just 'I was young and stupid'. Besides, they'll just fake stuff if they want to make us look bad, so it doesn't really matter."

She shrugs.

"As for the other thing... well it's a little weird, but not much weirder than anything else in this screwed up world. I mean, the CS grows Dog Boys and other things in tanks. The Splugorth make all sorts of crazy things.... and then there's all the weird stuff coming through the rifts, like me. As far as I'm concerned as long as you're you you're one of us."
Ember, Alakar MARS PCO Alt of Lucretia
Bennies: 5/4 Parry: 6; Toughness: 15(7) [MDC]; Pace: 9; Charisma: +3
Card(s): Payback Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
Weapon in hand: none
Ammo:
  • Wilk's 447 (rifle) - 20/20 shots
    Wilk's 237 (pistol) - 16/16 shots
Click here to edit your signature
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Alecto nods. "To the extent that I can determine, I am me. Whatever instructions or identity I possessed prior to experiencing catastrophic damage and subsequently being reconstructed are gone. However, I have no way to offer proof of this, which means it could still be used against the Black Company."

"Thank you though, for your acceptance. I had expected the notion of intelligent machines designed to mimic human life to be disturbing. I apologize for underestimating you."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Ember

Post by Ember »

"Oh, don't get me wrong, it is disturbing!Just... if we get afraid of everything new and weird, we'd all just hide under a rock somewhere and never come out. Or become like the CS."

She chuckles.

"If this world has taught me anything, it's what someone does that matters, not what they are or where they came from."
Card(s): Payback Play on an opposing Wild Card. Your attacks and damage against him are made at +2 for the duration of the scene.
Ammo:
Thrudh Zebrem
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Thrudh Zebrem »

Thrudh stares, eyes wide, as Alecto shares her revelation. "Huh."

He puffs on his cigar a moment. "So...yer...huh."

Thrudh squints at Alecto. "That mean if ya get hurt, yer gonna need me ta fix ya? I can do that. Can't remember ever workin' on anything like you 'fore. Can't remember ever seein' anythin' like you 'fore, really."
Thrudh begins to get excited at the prospect of tinkering on an android. "Say, should I get a look at yer workins? I mean, might as well know what I'm workin' with 'fore ya need it. Wait. Is that weird? I know yer built like a human girl, but ya ain't, but ya still got human stuff. Wait. How does that work? Ain't no nevermind ta me, so's ya know. Humans ain't my...I don't get...nevermind."
Thrudh slows down and draws on the cigar. "Wait. Was all that supposed ta scare us off? Heh. That ain't how it goes, Alecto. Yer one a' us. Y'ain't gettin' out that easy. 'sides, like Ember said, plenty a' weird stuff runnin' around here. Shoot. Look at me. If I ain't the weirdest lookin' thing ya ever laid eyes on, yer eyes probably need checked."
Thrudh winks at Alecto, and smiles. "I can check 'em fer ya, I bet."

Thrudh leans over to Ember and whispers, not quietly. "Did I say anythin' stupid? This is a new one on me."
Thrudh Zebrem
Thrudh Zebrem
Bennies: 6 (+1 interlude, +1 max post quarter reward, +1 Carlos joker, +1 Humble joker, -1 reroll grenade damage, -1 extra effort OTO QC, +1 LaForge, +1 QC CS prison, -1 EE Gloom QC, +2 for successful 1st round QC, -1 EE notice, -1 EE repair)
Edges: Ace, Combat Ace, McGyver, Quick, Alertness, Steady Hands, Battle Hardened, Nerves of Steel, Brave
Pace: 6
Parry: 5
Toughness: 17(6) Triax T-13
Modified Triax T-13
  • Armor +6
    Toughness +2
    Full Environmental Protection
    Laser Torch
    • Range: 4/8/16
      Damage 3d6 MD, AP 3
      ROF: 1
    Robot arm
    • Reach 1
      Strength d6
      Laser cutter finger: 1d4 damage
    +2 Repair checks
    Targeting system: +2 ranged combat rolls
Weapon in hand: NE-75H Shoulder Cannon
  • Range 50/100/200
    Damage: 3d10, AP 0
    ROF 1, shots 20
    MD, Plasma, Str req d8, Intimidating Weapon, Snapfire, 25 standard rounds
Weapon in tail: NE-45 6 shots
  • Range: 10/20/40
    Damage: 3d8, AP 4
    ROF 1, Payload 6
    MD, Str req d8, Intimidating Weapon, Revolver, 36 CI rounds
Weapon on back: Portable Rocket Launcher
  • Range: 50/100/200
    Damage: 5d6 MD, SBT, AP 6
    ROF 1
Adventure card:
  • Spill the Beans - The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.
    Flesh Wound - Play to cause a wounded Extra to rise immediately, un-Shaken and unharmed. The Extra must have been wounded in the current "scene” (typically a combat or immediately thereafter).
Mountaineer Mk. 2
  • Light Railgun
    • Range: 100/200/400
      Damage: 2d10+4 MD, AP 10
      ROF 3, payload 45
  • Mini Missile Launcher
    • Range 100/200/400
      Damage: 5d6 MD SBT, AP 6
      ROF 1, payload 12
  • Medium Laser
    • Range: 150/300/600
      Damage: 3d10 MD, AP 10
      ROF 1
Edit Sig
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Alecto waits for Thrudh to wind down, then nods solemnly.

"Thank you, Thrudh. It was not my intention to frighten anyone. There were others in the Black Company who already knew, for the purpose of maintenance and command. Circumstances have changed dramatically though. I decided it was a good idea to offer you the information you needed to make a decision."

"As for you 'fixing' me, if you are comfortable with that, it would be appreciated. I have systems that can repair damage, but have found that being manually assisted improves recovery times. If you wish to become familiar with my operation, that would be acceptable...to the extent that I am able to assist." She looks down at herself. "In the past I have had complaints that I am difficult to work on, with limited access to internal systems. I suspect I was designed to rely on self-repair in the field, and that there are specialized facilities required for more comprehensive work."

She looks back at Thrudh. "As for my 'human stuff,' it is cosmetic in nature. A convincing and detailed replication of form, not function. My 'skin' does provide superior tactile and temperature feedback compared to the underlying frame."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Kasey

Post by Kasey »

Kasey purses her lips. I wish I had an eye, that had a brow to raise. Wow a humdinger!
Kasey comes right up to Alecto, " Rock on with your bad self Alecto! Like Ember and Thrudh said we are a team. Now that we know, we can help you. Help you figure out where you came from if you like, and maybe more importantly help watch your back. I would imagine creating a being like yourself is no small task, and either they will want you back, or yes, when someone finds out, they will come for you.". Kasey steps back into the team facing each one carefully, " We are all we got, so when they come for you they will have to go through us."
Parry:8, Toughness: 17(10), Pace:6, Cha:, 2/-2 Danger Sense
ISP: 15/20
  • Active powers
Combat Edges:
  • Improved First strike
  • Martial Arts
Skills
  • Notice: d8+2
  • Stealth d8
Note: She does not normally wear a helmet
Bennies
4 bennies
Adventure Card
Deadly Blow
Ember

Post by Ember »

Thrudh Zebrem wrote:Thrudh leans over to Ember and whispers, not quietly. "Did I say anythin' stupid? This is a new one on me."
"Well, you sounded a little more interested in her... uh... features than I think you intended. Sounded more like you were trying to cover up your interest more'n that you weren't interested. Oh, and you are by far not the weirdest thing I've seen. You're just a big lizard-like thing. Ever seen a Dirari? At least you've got a body. And a face."

She turns back to Alecto.

"I'm really curious how your, uh, insides work, but I have a feeling we'd have to peel you to get a good look at it, so no thank you very much, that's just a bit too 'ew' for me. Though if you've got a data port, I might be able to hook up and take a look at your software, at least. Who knows, an external diagnostic might even be able to find a few isolated data stores that your internal diagnostics can't even see. Have I mentioned that I'm a total wiz hacker?"
Ammo:
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

"I do," Alecto says. "And there is another port that allows access to a power cell component, though the cell does not appear to be easily removable. Unfortunately, if I had detailed technical specifications on myself, they are now lost."

"I recognize the merits of your offer to assist with error correction, but...it would be an act of great trust to allow a 'wiz hacker' access to my source code. I will need some time to consider."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Ember

Post by Ember »

Ember looks a little taken aback, then laughs.

"Yeah, I can understand that. It took me a while to be comfortable with the idea of having my brain messed with to have cybernetics installed. Even then then they weren't doing anything with memory or personality, just sensors and a bit of motor function. I could set up an external monitor and try to talk you through everything I'm doing, but I get your concern. Honestly, most of it would probably be pretty boring - directory structure analysis, memory sector diagnostics, stuff like that. Maybe run a hd defrag while we're at it, see if we can optimize the processor cycles..."

She shakes her head.

"Only if you want, of course. I'm still not trying to push you into anything."
Ammo:
Thrudh Zebrem
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Thrudh Zebrem »

Ember wrote:"Well, you sounded a little more interested in her... uh... features than I think you intended. Sounded more like you were trying to cover up your interest more'n that you weren't interested. Oh, and you are by far not the weirdest thing I've seen. You're just a big lizard-like thing. Ever seen a Dirari? At least you've got a body. And a face."
Thrudh looks a little confused. "That ain't what I was sayin'! I was sayin' I ain't interested in her female stuff! Gorrammit! This grackle ain't like that! I just ain't put eyes on somethin' like her 'fore! Hell. Way ta go, Thrudh. Now everybody thinks yer googly fer the 'droid." He shakes his head and continues puffing at the cigar. "Me and my big mouth."
Thrudh Zebrem
Thrudh Zebrem
Bennies: 6 (+1 interlude, +1 max post quarter reward, +1 Carlos joker, +1 Humble joker, -1 reroll grenade damage, -1 extra effort OTO QC, +1 LaForge, +1 QC CS prison, -1 EE Gloom QC, +2 for successful 1st round QC, -1 EE notice, -1 EE repair)
Edges: Ace, Combat Ace, McGyver, Quick, Alertness, Steady Hands, Battle Hardened, Nerves of Steel, Brave
Modified Triax T-13
  • Armor +6
    Toughness +2
    Laser Torch
      Damage 3d6 MD, AP 3
    Robot arm
    • Reach 1
      Strength d6
    +2 Repair checks
  • Range 50/100/200
    ROF 1, shots 20
    ROF 1, Payload 6
    ROF 1
Adventure card:
  • Spill the Beans - The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.
    Flesh Wound - Play to cause a wounded Extra to rise immediately, un-Shaken and unharmed. The Extra must have been wounded in the current "scene” (typically a combat or immediately thereafter).
Mountaineer Mk. 2
  • Light Railgun
      ROF 3, payload 45
  • Mini Missile Launcher
    • Range 100/200/400
      ROF 1, payload 12
  • Medium Laser
      ROF 1
Edit Sig
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Alecto directed an amused, skeptical look at Thrudh. "I do not think you are 'googly' for me. Females of your species bear almost no resemblance to human females. There's no reason you would find me physically attractive."

She glances at Ember then. "There is a non-zero probability that my current state is the result of an error or damaged structure in my processing. As such, until I understand myself more completely, I am reluctant to change anything substantial, even if such a change seems beneficial. The risk of unintended outcomes is unacceptably high. However, you could be of help in analyzing my code. Perhaps accelerating that process."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Thrudh Zebrem
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Thrudh Zebrem »

Thrudh nods emphatically at Alecto. "That's what I was sayin'! Tell that ta Ember! She's gone and mistook me fer some kinda...somethin'. I'm just excited ta get my hands on somethin' I ain't worked on ever. An' hey, my suit's got fine tools fer just this type a' thing."
Thrudh takes another puff on his cigar, and breaks into a wide grin.
"'sides, Eleanor is the only girl fer me."
Thrudh Zebrem
Thrudh Zebrem
Modified Triax T-13
  • Armor +6
    Toughness +2
    Laser Torch
      Damage 3d6 MD, AP 3
    Robot arm
    • Reach 1
      Strength d6
    +2 Repair checks
  • Range 50/100/200
    ROF 1, shots 20
    ROF 1, Payload 6
    ROF 1
Adventure card:
Mountaineer Mk. 2
  • Light Railgun
      ROF 3, payload 45
  • Mini Missile Launcher
    • Range 100/200/400
      ROF 1, payload 12
  • Medium Laser
      ROF 1
Edit Sig
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Still smiling, Alecto corrects, "Someone." She pauses, then goes on, "Excited to get your hands on someone you ain't worked on ever. It may seem like a small thing, but I do not wish this news to begin to change how you think of me."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Thrudh Zebrem
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Thrudh Zebrem »

Thrudh nods, maybe even a little sheepishly, at Alecto. "Yer right. Someone. But yer wrong that it ain't gonna change how I think of ya. Now it's my job ta make sure ya don't get hurt, and if ya do, it's my job ta fix ya, 'cause yer one a' us. Ember gets hurt, Karchev, Gargamel, I can't do a thing 'cept pass 'em a cup of Hansie's degreaser and tell 'em ta walk it off. Ain't good at workin' on flesh and blood types. You I can help. So now I know, and now they gotta go through ol' Thrudh ta put the fraz on Alecto."
Thrudh lets out a smoke ring, and continues. "Way I see it, I didn't have a sister before. Now I do. I got a kid sister with a vicious left hook." Thrudh grins and winks at Alecto.
"An' I got another kid sister who lets me put my foot in my gorram mouth and look like a dirari, or whatever ya said." Thrudh throws a sideways glance and raised eyebrow at Ember, then breaks into another grin.
Thrudh Zebrem
Thrudh Zebrem
Modified Triax T-13
  • Armor +6
    Toughness +2
    Laser Torch
      Damage 3d6 MD, AP 3
    Robot arm
    • Reach 1
      Strength d6
    +2 Repair checks
  • Range 50/100/200
    ROF 1, shots 20
    ROF 1, Payload 6
    ROF 1
Adventure card:
Mountaineer Mk. 2
  • Light Railgun
      ROF 3, payload 45
  • Mini Missile Launcher
    • Range 100/200/400
      ROF 1, payload 12
  • Medium Laser
      ROF 1
Edit Sig
Ember

Post by Ember »

"I was just sayin' that you sounded more like you were coverin' for your interest than that you weren't really interested. Not that you actually were interested.... and you don't look nuthin' like a Dirari. They're these like floating balls of ectoplasm or something, use telekinesis to fake having a body, and to use weapons and stuff. Ran into one that was working as muscle for a syndicate I crossed once... creepy little thing."

She thinks about it a moment, then snaps back to present day.

"Anyway, yeah, of course I'll help you however I can, and I wouldn't do anything to your code or anything else without getting explicit permission first. The last thing I want to do is change you. I like you as you are. You're weird, sure, but so am I and it's a cool kind of weird. That and I know you've got my back when things go sour. Not to mention that there's a 'non-zero probability' that doing the wrong thing in there could make you go all slice-and-dice on me, and that'd get ugly fast."
Ammo:
Thrudh Zebrem
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Thrudh Zebrem »

Thrudh gives Ember a blank look, and shakes his head. "I'm pretty smart, if I do say so myself, but no lie. Ya lost me. Let's just move on and hope we don't have ta fool with no dirari."
Thrudh drags on the stump of a cigar in his mouth, then extinguishes the remaining nub.
Thrudh Zebrem
Thrudh Zebrem
Modified Triax T-13
  • Armor +6
    Toughness +2
    Laser Torch
      Damage 3d6 MD, AP 3
    Robot arm
    • Reach 1
      Strength d6
    +2 Repair checks
  • Range 50/100/200
    ROF 1, shots 20
    ROF 1, Payload 6
    ROF 1
Adventure card:
Mountaineer Mk. 2
  • Light Railgun
      ROF 3, payload 45
  • Mini Missile Launcher
    • Range 100/200/400
      ROF 1, payload 12
  • Medium Laser
      ROF 1
Edit Sig
Gargamel
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Gargamel »

Gargamel laughed as Thrudh got exasperated trying to explain himself and becoming all muddled up.

“Seen a lot of weird stuff in the Magic Zone Alecto. Got to say that a robot is not the strangest. Considering the number of people from all across space and time whom have ended up here on Earth, who is to say you are from around here? You might have parts from around here or from a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.” He stirred the fire and chucked on another log, “that strikes me as a good way of narrowing down your origins a bit.”

“I am happy for you to stay, but as a thought to our current predicament, can you change your features at all?”
he enquired
OOC Comments
http://savagerifts.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=344

Parry 7, Toughness 14(7)
Armed with Battle Fury Blade, Shard Pistol and Wilk’s 320 Laser Pistol,

Also Conrad

http://savagerifts.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=82
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Alecto gave Ember a nod. "In that case, when you have time perhaps we can do that. I'd be interested in remaining conscious if possible. I have not seen my code visualized in a user interface before."

She turned a puzzled look at Gargamel, trying to figure out how speculation of an origin point within an unbounded infinity of possible realities constituted 'narrowing down.' Ah. Of course. Irony.

"If by 'features' you mean my appearance, I do not detect any such capability in my body. It is remotely possible that the control software for the system was destroyed, but short of that I should be aware of its presence. As for an offworld origin, it is possible. From discussions with technicians I gather that the systems of my body are advanced compared to Earth, but not outside the range of local technology. My capabilities are on par with military-specification cybernetics for example, but are more compact in design; able to be installed without disrupting the imitation of an unmodified human form. My energy system is, as I understand it, more efficient than most local technologies, but not by a great deal."

She shrugs. "Then again, it is also possible that I do not represent the apex of the technological potential of my creator. In the event that I was captured or disabled, it would be beneficial not to include radically advanced technology that could be reverse-engineered. An incremental increase over local technology would give me an edge, without endangering superiority."

"The only area I can determine that I am unusually advanced is in my own intelligence. This is difficult to quantify though, both because few organizations on Earth appear to have pursued computer intelligence following the 'Rifts incident,' and because I have not yet permitted a detailed examination of the physical or software components of my mind."
OOC Comments

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Dependency (Power) (-2)

Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances

Edges
Upgradable
Brave (+2 vs fear)

Core Electronics (1)
Optics Package (1)
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
Targeting Eye (1)
Nano-Repair System (2)
Built in Weaponry (1)

Gear
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun

Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Min str d8

NG-S2 Survival Pack
Sleeping bag
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations

Return to “Black Company Interludes”