SWADE Quarterly Awards

The place for proposals for Custom Races, Edges, Hindrances, Trappings, TW Modifications, and Iconic Frame Works

Also See Community Projects.

What to do with Quarterly Rewards

A) Adopt the suggested new format!
No votes
B) Adopt the stock Conviction new format!
78%
C) NAY! CHANGE BAD! Keep the old format.
11%
D) Other: Explain
11%

Total votes: 9

Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

SWADE Quarterly Awards

Post by Koshnek »

With the upcoming migration to SWADE (restrains self), I feel it would be appropriate to update our quarterly awards system to fall in line with SWADE.

Instead of awarding 1-3 XP plus a benny (plus EP) for player participation, would it be acceptable to change to this format?
Original
0.99 or lower = Failure! Up your game.
1.0 post rate = Success! You met the target number.
1.01-1.49 post rate = Success with a raise! Receive 1 EP + 1 XP
1.5 - 1.99 post rate = Success with two raises! Receive 2 EP + 2 XP
2.00+ post rate = Holy crap! Receive 3 EP +2 XP and a bonus benny for the quarter.
1.0-1.49 post rate = Success! Receive one Advance and 1 EP
1.5 - 1.99 post rate = Success with a raise! Receive one Advance, one Benny for the quarter, and 2 EP
2.00+ post rate = Success with two raises! Receive one Advance, a bonus Benny for the quarter, a <Fancy Name for New "Benny">, and 3 EP.

The new "benny" would be something in line with Conviction from SWADE page 136.
Conviction wrote:Conviction can be spent to add a d6 to a final Trait or damage total. This die can Ace, and its result is added to the final total.
Conviction tokens aren’t Bennies and can’t be used as such. They are kept between sessions, but a player can never have more than one at a time.
I suggest the following for this special "Benny":
1) You can only ever have one of these "Bennies" per character. They do carry across quarters, but if one of your characters earns a second one before spending one already gained, the new one is not awarded to that character.
2) They cannot be purchased through EP. These are solely a reward and a pat on the back for player contribution!
3) They can add 1d6 to any trait or damage total.
4) They can be used to reduce the effects of a critical failure to a standard failure.
5) Elan and similar edges do not apply to this "Benny" because, as with Conviction, it's not actually a Benny.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Pursuit
Game Master

Re: SWADE Quarterly Awards

Post by Pursuit »

Can we just call it/make it a conviction token and not have to re-invent anything?
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

I didn't want to literally make it conviction because that could potentially interfere with games which might use that setting rule. I also thought that adding in the ability to negate a critical failure (which is not an option in (m)any of our games on this site) is a really handy reward. Also, negating a critical failure in this manner can only be done once a quarter at most, so it's not a game breaking addition but worth the effort of a 2.0 post rate.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Hm. Kinda with Pursuit on this one. Call it Conviction (or "Red Conviction" or something if people still want to use the normal conviction seperately). Complexity is a real issue with house rules, so I like keeping it simple.

Messing with critical failures is a big gain, and considering that half the time I see a critical failure in Rifts it otherwise wouldnt be a failure, I think its worth leaving it untouchable (I mean, there is still the EP option but eh, a battle for another day).

My two cents, but I feel like I could be swayed.
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

Note: I said that it would reduce a critical to a failure, not reroll it. As to the name; I don't care what its called.

Also, while many players do hit 2.0+, not all do and definitely not every quarter. Look through the post rate report threads. Based upon previous quarters this wouldn't lead to a flood of critical failure immune characters. But, if it did, well, that's the point, isn't it? Geting folks (even more) excited about posting to earn those sweet Advances, EPs and Bennies can't be a bad result :D.

And really, I'm fine with whatever it does. If it's just a stock Conviction then that's cool. My suggestion seemed like a fun but not game breaking pat on the back for people really getting into the game and posting a lot.

If you break it down, it's not that complicated.

You can at most have one conviction per quarter.
You may use it to add 1d6 to any trait or damage roll.
You may instead use it to reroll a critical failure.

It's stock Conviction with one extra mechanic.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

I don't see just making it vanilla conviction causing interference--if anything, it'll mean players know to spend their existing conviction if their post count is going to earn them another one for the next quarter.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

That's true, too. I didn't consider that. And then the naysayers get to keep their critical failures! I'm fine with stock Conviction too.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

So, this could be Option B, moving Option B and C to C and D Respectively:

1.0-1.49 post rate = Success! Receive one Advance and 1 EP
1.5 - 1.99 post rate = Success with a raise! Receive one Advance, one Benny for the quarter, and 2 EP
2.00+ post rate = Success with two raises! Receive one Advance, a bonus Benny for the quarter, a Conviction, and 3 EP.

Edit: This is now officially option B
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I voted for option B. For 2.0+, just say they start the quarter with Conviction, as long as the GM allows Conviction in that game. I don't think the "get out of a Crit Fail free" option is needed. It's basically the only way anyone ever fails in SR, and there's still the EP option.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Conviction is an easy way out. This is fucking rifts. Option D, get yourself to 2.00 post rate and get all the above plus a point of burn. You are welcome and lets get some!
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic »

Honestly, I don't see any reason to switch over to the new version of experience. I think the current system we use for SWD is more than fair as far as rewarding those who post more frequently than others.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Stoic wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:18 pm Honestly, I don't see any reason to switch over to the new version of experience. I think the current system we use for SWD is more than fair as far as rewarding those who post more frequently than others.
Truth!
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

@Stoic No way, man. We've got to drop XP entirely when we switch to SWADE: it's just not a part of that rule set. That would be the equivalent of keeping the current Shaken rules instead of the new states in SWADE, or something similar.

I could take or leave the Conviction token (though I think it's a clever idea) and just give EP and Bennies, if that's what you mean? I read this as keeping XP, though, and that seems like it would be more confusing, not less.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

I like the idea of abandoning the XP system.

As it is I adjust new characters to my games to have close top the same amount of XP because I don't like deltas more than 1 rank worth.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Stoic
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Stoic »

I just don't see anything that needs to be improved from the current system. I'm really indifferent on this though, just my two cents.
GM Bennies 9/9
Wild Card Bennies ?
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I will say that I would like experience to be an option a GM can use or not as they choose. Or use SWADE style advance after a quarter. Best of both worlds. GM agency preserved, just make sure it's explicitly stated. I'm pretty sure XP was an optional rule when I read it.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

@Venatus Vinco
Would be nice to get this finalized and posted.

I now have 3 games running SWADE

Want to seal it in?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

@RFT

Option B it is.

Go for it.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

This is settled and becomes the new quarterly award system.

VV
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

I'm not a fan of not granting an advance at all. I have no issue with EP, but you can earn XP and not EP under the old rules. If you want to set some lower bar for no advance that's fine, but I do not want to deny a player an advance because they missed one blasted post. that's just lame.

Not that it's going to change anything, just putting myself on the record.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

High Command wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:35 am I'm not a fan of not granting an advance at all. I have no issue with EP, but you can earn XP and not EP under the old rules. If you want to set some lower bar for no advance that's fine, but I do not want to deny a player an advance because they missed one blasted post. that's just lame.

Not that it's going to change anything, just putting myself on the record.
Agreed. I said in hangout the GM can always award an Advance like they did with XP.

However, I don't mind making that discretionary if the player is below 1.0

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

@High Command ,
I have been advancing everyone at the same pace for a while. Before i was using a 20 point maximum spread, but even that gets old and tiresome to keep track of.

It is easy to get the players to agree, and if some player feels cheated because I gave the guy with 9 post an advance i am more than willing to listen to their complaints, before dismissing them. But so far I have not heard one.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades