SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Tait Bircher and Robin English Bircher

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Tait Bircher and Robin English Bircher

Post by Venatus Vinco »

SavageRifts.com Presents - Sean Tait Bircher and Robin English Bircher

Hail Savages,

To celebrate the recent release of the play test version of Arcana and Mysticism we've got principle contributors Sean and Robin lined up for an ask me anything on August 8th, 2019 at 9:30 ET. Curious about Psycape, the Federation or Magic, Combat Mages, or Magic Items? This is the time to ask your questions and get responses right from the sources.

Can't wait until next week to ask your question? No problem. Post you question here and I will make sure it gets asked.

To keep things simple we'll take questions during the live stream from the YouTube Live Chat available on the event page!

I can't wait to see us all together showing just how much we enjoy Savage Rifts.

Savagerifts.com the best gaming community in the MegaVerse!

YouTube Live Stream Link

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Tait Bircher and Robin English Bircher

Post by High Command »

What are the chances of getting a Psi-Nullifier Professional Edge that gives a similar effect to the Disrupt Magic ability of the Nega-psychic? They are very similar in that one regard, though Psi-Nullifiers lack the defensive punch of the pure negation of anything lobbed against them of a nega-psychic (as very well shown in the Negapsychic IF).
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: SavageRifts.com Presents - Ask Me Anything with Sean Tait Bircher and Robin English Bircher

Post by High Command »

Regarding the Adept Edge (A&M p 33) and Innate Abilities (TLPG SWADE p. 68) - Can I choose Protection twice - once gaining it for use as a Innate (and therefore self only) power and add a trapping that would allow me to cast it on others. It's not clear if Innate is a Power Modifier, a Trapping (or rather a modifier/limitation on a trapping), or what.

It's also a concern if you have the Wizard Edge, since that allows you to change Trappings on the fly.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

How long until we get a preview of the True Atlanteans and tattoo magic: Soon, very soon, or right after the AMA?
GM bennies

Characters Imperator (GM account)Action Stan, Antipas, Xiang,
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

So glad to see some of the coolest concepts from Psyscape make their way over into Savage Rifts!

When designing the Psi-Ghost, what factors did you weigh in coming up with how their "ghosting" ability would work? What's the story behind that?

And more generally, how did you decide when to make something its own IF vs putting it into a MARS framework?

Thank you!
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Might you add some special power modifiers for cloud magic? Or perhaps its own arcane background?

With rift characters able to get skill, feats, edges from multiple sources (races, IFs, and HJ rolls) will there be some general guidelines for how to reconcile two of the same edges or two d6 skills of the same type?

Will psi ghost become vulnerable to gas even while ghosting?

Psi slinger seems to indicate humans or mutant humans can become them, yet the IF has no racial restrictions. Can a Vronwor select it?

The d8 spell casting for TW PA seems odd, any thought to run them how the BFB blade is treated? Pay ppts and you get the base swade power no power mods? Or perhaps the users spirit?

Are TW PAs easier to cast magic in, or do they fall under the same guidelines as normal PA?

I noticed even the two normal armors, Arzno TWA 1500 and 1600 have the d8 to use as the spell casting spell. Wouldn’t these just use the wearers spell casting?

I love elemental magic, warlock and elemental fusionist are two awesome occs. The elemental fusionist seems to combine both into one IF. For example the fusionist automatically has a pairing and limited spell list, plus powers under the fusion pairing. He or she is this kick ass force of dueling nature. There is no mention of life sign. Life sign is from the warlock. The warlock is the one that picks a life sign, gets cool special abilities for the life sign, and a true master of elemental magic, oh and plus can summon elementals like the shifter summons demons.
  • Mostly I was wondering the design philosophy behind making the elemental fusionist?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Will the shadow boy be in Empires of humanity.

Will there be rules for non magic/tw modifications to gear in the same.
GM bennies

Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Don't know if this AMA will cover Empires of Humanity. I think the Birchers are primarily involved with Arcana & Mysticism. @Venatus Vinco ?
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Yes, also Blood and bane.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Radecliffe wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:35 pm Don't know if this AMA will cover Empires of Humanity. I think the Birchers are primarily involved with Arcana & Mysticism. @Venatus Vinco ?
Right. We're only dealing with Arcana and Mysticism (and whatever we can get them to leak on Blood and Banes) for this podcast.

I'll try and get Sean back from Empires of Humanity when it drops.

VV
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Can you ask them why Nixl (however it is spelled) does not have Unstoppable? It would seem if ever their was a being to powerful to one shot it would be him.

PS: We know about the ritual, but more so than that.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Jim1

Post by Jim1 »

In Palladium Rifts, psychic characters don't have an illusion power available, but magic-users such as Ley Line Walkers do. Is the illusion power going to be kept solely in the realm of psychics in Savage Rifts, or will there be a version that spellcasters will have access to?

It would certainly make sense for a Techno-Wizard to be able to craft a device that can project a convincing hologram, maybe by converting a pre-rifts movie projector.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Why does the Nega-Psychic not have access to the Psionic HJ table? They are major psychics.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

With so many amazing creatures for potential summoning. Is there any chance the formula introduced by Clint in Savage Worlds Game masters Guide for alternate summoning values could be added to savage rifts to allow summoning such beings as Shadow Beasts, Rhino-buffalo and other tough monsters?
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Radecliffe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Radecliffe »

Questions on "TW" weapons in Arcana & Mysticism.
  • Are the Spirit Bow and Spirit Spear considered TW items. It seems like Spirit Bow and Spirit Spear seem more like enchanted weapons. It makes a real difference as it doesn't appear that technical difficulties affect enchanted items.
  • Is the Psi Pike considered a TW weapon or an enchanted weapon or something else? Is it affected by technical difficulties? Can other weapons be converted to a Psi Weapon? That would be cool!
  • Shouldn't these categories of weapons be broken down into their own tables?
  • I think that "how to" part of the Minor and Major Item creation edges should be moved out of the edge description. It seems like a very illogical place for the reference material. Also, the text seems to imply that you can only create an item rather than upgrade one and I don't think that's the intent.
    Can we get a little clarity on doing enchanted item upgrades?
Radecliffe
Player: James
Active Alts: Jim Cannon, Jame Graeme, Dorn GiantSlayer, Steele

Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d10, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Pace: 8; Running Die: d8; Parry: 6; Toughness: 11(4); Strain: 6/6; Bennies 4 of 4

Skills
Agility: Athletics d8, Fighting d8, Shooting d6, Stealth d8, Thievery d8
Smarts: Common Knowledge d4, Healing d6+2, Language (American) d8, Notice d8, Occult d10, Psionics d10, Survival d10+2
Spirit: Persuasion d4

DrWaites

Post by DrWaites »

So I just ran my second session of Savage Rifts (we're using Deluxe and the original editions of the sourcebooks - haven't made it to SWADE yet). I'm new to both Savage Rifts and Savage Worlds in general.

I have 5 characters (Glitter Boy, Cyber Night, Crazy, MARS City Rat, and Burster). They are stomping my encounters. Like in the final battle of Garnet Town Gambit, they took out two BBEG (spoilers: demon and caster), and 4 Brodhill mooks (who were using cover). The BBEG didn't even get two rounds before he was sliced into pieces. (And no, it wasn't the Glitter Boy, who spent the first round "digging in" and had to use the boom gun on a mook in her second round.)

I'm wondering if this is typical? We come from a background of D&D "attrition-based" combat. Are combats in Savage Rifts supposed to be over this quickly? If not, any suggestions about how to prolong battles to feel more challenging? (I hate when my characters say things like "I got a bad initiative card - looks like it will all be over before I get an action.")
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

DrWaites wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:54 pm So I just ran my second session of Savage Rifts (we're using Deluxe and the original editions of the sourcebooks - haven't made it to SWADE yet). I'm new to both Savage Rifts and Savage Worlds in general.

I have 5 characters (Glitter Boy, Cyber Night, Crazy, MARS City Rat, and Burster). They are stomping my encounters. Like in the final battle of Garnet Town Gambit, they took out two BBEG (spoilers: demon and caster), and 4 Brodhill mooks (who were using cover). The BBEG didn't even get two rounds before he was sliced into pieces. (And no, it wasn't the Glitter Boy, who spent the first round "digging in" and had to use the boom gun on a mook in her second round.)

I'm wondering if this is typical? We come from a background of D&D "attrition-based" combat. Are combats in Savage Rifts supposed to be over this quickly? If not, any suggestions about how to prolong battles to feel more challenging? (I hate when my characters say things like "I got a bad initiative card - looks like it will all be over before I get an action.")
Just some advice from the peanut gallery... Combat’s go pretty quick, 2-4 rounds. The swade rules will add some more survivability. There is the unstoppable trait that will only have a big bad take one wound. Also make sure you are using the wound cap rules. But in the end, its ok as long as they were having fun. A lot of times when I run SR, the challenges are not defeating the badguys but the choices made in combat. Many times I use the published adventures as a spring board so to speak and add interesting stuff as we go that speaks to the character’s Hindrences and backgrounds.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Imperator

Post by Imperator »

Is techno-wizard power armor as much of a hinderance to power use by psychics and gifted? What about tech-wizards, can they use their gadgets while in TW PA?
GM bennies

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

The Dragon Juicer appears crazy overpoweredcompared to the regular Juicer and similar Lords of War. Can you explain the design and how it is supposed to be balanced?

The Psi Warrior lost her iconic Psi-Sword and instead got a lesser Psi-Blade and a Psi-Pike that doesn't appear to be based on anything in the original source. Can you explain the reasoning behind the deviations from canon, when other IFs and packages appear to have been converted more faithfully to the original?

Why is there a TW Shard Pistol in A&M with different stats than the one in TLPG?

Are automatons meant to be available to PCs or limited to Dweomer?
GM Bennies: 7/7
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

In case you missed it,

Here is the video from last evening's AMA:
https://youtu.be/tkWPcAT9NHw

VV
Signature

Return to “Out of Character Topics”