New Savage Dimension ( ETU - Recruiting Now)

Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

New Savage Dimension ( ETU - Recruiting Now)

Post by Greywolf »

It's the first semester of your Freshman year at East Texas University. Away from home and with four years of study, or maybe more importantly, parties to look forward to. Whether you're here as a science major, on a sports scholarship, or just want to study in the highly respected anthropology and folklore department, ETU has drawn you to it.
Tearful farewells from your parents over, and a few awkward conversations with your new dorm mates later, you're looking forward to the freshman orientation this evening.
At ETU they call Freshman orientation the Sweat Lodge. Your dorm Resident Assistant spouted some stuff about how the Native American sweat lodges were considered places of rebirth that provided important revelations. At least the letter said there’d be food and music. . .

East Texas University is a setting combining slice of life activities of college students, study, exams, parties, relationships, with investigation of strange supernatural occurrences on campus. Over the course of the campaign characters will uncover secrets and mysteries, some mundane, some not so easily explained away, all the while needing to keep up their exam scores or face censure from the college administration.

There is a Players Guide for the setting on Drive-Thru, and here is the Teaser Trailer. It is my intent to take the characters through the Degrees of Horror plot-point campaign.

Mechanically characters start as Freshmen (Novice characters), and assuming they keep up with their studies will advance to Sophomore (Seasoned), Junior (Veteran) and Senior (Heroic) years of study.

This is a magic-poor setting. No arcane backgrounds, none at all. Though obviously some knowledge of the supernatural, and techniques to combat it can be developed during play.

Combat will inevitably play a part, but so will investigation and NPC interactions, so bear this in mind when creating (hopefully) balanced characters. One-dimensional murder-hobo's are likely to end up being arrested if they go on a killing spree, but being able to defend yourself a little saves you from relying on your buddies to pull you out of situations you may end up in. Also bear in mind that you are college age, so there will be upper limits on starting skill ranks (usually d8), and you'll need a good background for why any combat skills are that high.

Ideally this game will run with approx 6 - 8 varied characters. From a role-play point of view, as a GM I like to have players who interact with each other, and NPC's. This is after all a social hobby. Posts with openings for other players to join the scene and play are what I'd hope for. So if that sounds like your sort of shindig, get your application in and who knows, maybe you'll find an acceptance letter and an orientation pack in your mailbox soon. . .
Greywolf

GM - East Texas University
Player Accounts
Lysennia Moonsinger - Shaintar
Temperance - Shattered Dreams
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: New Savage Dimension

Post by Greywolf »

Current Player Slots

1. Zoe Marsh - petite Arts major taking a minor in computer science
2. Philippa-Lynn - Daughter of a military family studying Maths with a minor in ancient history
3. Eugene Whitaker - History and archaeology student, works part time at a pizza place to make extra money.
4. Renate Hodges - Kinesiology Major.
5. David Malec - Jock and anthropolgy major
6. Daniel Carey - Ex army returner to college. Major as yet undecided.
7. Jason Lawinski - self styled 'cool geek'. Studying computer science and creative writing.
8. Gage Cartwright - Criminal Justice major.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Philippa-Lynn

Re: New Savage Dimension

Post by Philippa-Lynn »

Hi, concept for Phillipa Denise Lynn

Pip is usual age for a fresher 16/17
She was born in Portland Oregon, daughter of Hank and Karen Lynn.
She has 1 older brother, Hank jr, and a younger brother, Patrick.

Currently the family home is near the US Naval base in Pensacola, Florida.
Her mum works on base in the commisary and her dad is a chief phot technician.

She has travelled widely with her family, Australia, Hawaii, along with US postings.

She will be studying Mathematics with Ancient History, at ETU. She has some experience of handling guns, .38 pistols and winchester rifles at the shooting range on base and in quarries with her dad and brothers.
Her sport is field hockey, half back. She captained her team at college.
She has long black hair and she wears glasses. She is 5’ 7” and 140 lb, her fitness regime includes swimming and tai chi.

At college she was strong in science, maths, and history. She has a smattering of Latin taken in an online course.
Bookish but social. Strong willed with a tendency to obey and enforce rules.
Doesn’t suffer fools gladly but can keep her own counsel until she has all the information to make a judgement.
Hopes to become a research scientist.
KahlessNestor

Re: New Savage Dimension (Recruiting Now)

Post by KahlessNestor »

Here is Eugene Whitaker, the character I made for the first time we tried ETU, though it never actually started.

He's good at school, and pretty much nothing else LOL An archaeology major, he's basically college me.
GM Notes
101st GM Bennies: 8/8
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Rising Stars GM Bennies 8/8
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: New Savage Dimension ( ETU - Recruiting Now)

Post by Koshnek »

Are you running a campaign, or something you came up with yourself?
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Koshnek wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:54 am Are you running a campaign, or something you came up with yourself?
The intention at the moment is to base the game around the Degrees of Horror plot point campaign with additional material flesh it out a little.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Koshnek
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Koshnek »

That's a really cool campaign :). Unfortunately, I've played through it before :(.
IZ3 GM Bennies 5/5
Icosa
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Icosa »

Aw man, I had an ETU character made and everything, but I don't have any character slot left. It'll be at least another quarter before I can get another one.

Maybe next semester!
OOC Comments
Bennies: 4/4 Red Bennies: 1
Toughness: 21 (9 armor), Parry 9
Notice: 1d8 (+2 visual)

Character Name: Alecto
Race: Android
Iconic Framework: MARS Techno Warrior
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d10 (d12+2), Vigor d8
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6 (8); Parry: 6 (9); Toughness: 11 (+2 in armor, and +7 armor)

Race Package:
Adaptable (2)
Construct (8)

Outsider (-1) (Applies when true robotic nature is revealed)
Distinctive (Concealable; a Wound reveals) (-1)
Restricted Path (No ISP/PPE) (-2)
Wanted (Major) (-2) (CS, Federation would destroy immediately; also mysterious creating faction hasn't forgotten her)
Dependency (Power) (-2)

Skills: 15 (5 fight/shoot/throw)
Shooting 1d10
Fighting 1d8 (1d12+2)
Investigation 1d6
Persuasion 1d6
Stealth 1d8
Streetwise 1d8
Notice 1d8

Hindrances
Clueless (Major - Is rebuilding knowledge of the world after having suffered near-total memory loss)
Stubborn (Minor - Has great confidence in ability to calculate outcomes; tends to reject counterarguments)
Cautious (Minor - Always wants to plan for every contingency; cover every angle)

Edges
Adaptable: Attractive
Upgradable
Brawny (+1 Toughness, 8x Str carrying)
Brave (+2 vs fear)
Ambidextrous (ignore offhand penalty)
Rich (5000creds at start, 2 rolls on gear tables)
Filthy Rich (20,000 at start, 3 more rolls)
Quick Draw (draw weapon as free action, +2 to Agility to fast-draw)
Two-Fisted (ignore multi-action penalty for using off hand)
Level-headed (draw two initiative cards and use best)
Sweep (Make single Fighting attack and apply to all adjacent targets at -2)
Rock and Roll (Ignore recoil penalties on full-auto shots)
Strong Willed (+2 to Taunt and Intimidate; +2 on Tests of Wills)
Elan (+2 on rolls resulting from using a Benny)
Improved Sweep (Fighting attacks made with Sweep suffer no penalty)

Upgrades (Cybernetics): (Max Strain: 12)
Core Electronics (1)
* Interface jack: +4 Repair or Common knowledge for linked equipment, 20 mile radio
Optics Package (1)
* +2 sight Notice, IR/Nightsight, 50x distance/20x macro, +2 vs blinding, record images
Reinforced Frame 2 (2)
* +4 Toughness
Enhanced Vigor 1 (1)
* +1d Vigor
Cyber-Wired Reflexes 1 (1)
* +1d Agility
Wired Chip Port (1)
* 4d skill chip (Fighting)
Targeting Eye (1)
* +2 Shooting on calibrated weapons
Nano-Repair System (2)
* Heal 1 Wound/day, +4 vs Bleeding Out
Built in Weaponry (1)
* 1 Vibroblade (purchased: 13,500)

Gear
Wilk's 237 Laser Pistol (2d6+1, AP4, RoF 1, 16eclip, 15/30/60, semiauto)
JA-11 Laser Rifle (3d6 laser or 3d6+1 ion, AP2, RoF 1, 60eclip, 30/60/120, can do MD for 10x shot power +snapfire, reduces range penalties by 2)
Vibro-Sword (Str+1d10 MD)
NG-E4 Plasma Ejector (3d10 MD, no AP, RoF 1, 12eclip, 24/48/96, snapfire, affects least-armored location, can ignite)
NE-85 Personal Rail Gun
Range: 70/140/280
Damage: 2d10+4
RoF: 3
AP: 4
Shots: 20
Weight: 60 lbs
Cost: 75,000
Notes: Mega Damage, no Snapfire penalty. Shots listed are number of full bursts.
SFD Huntsman Armor (+3 armor mod)

The Fury - Signature Item
Exoskeleton Body Armor
+2 toughness, +9 armor
Pace +2
Str 1d12+2
Full environment
Loudspeaker, 10 mile radio, laser rangefinder, nightvision
Min str d8
96 hours operation on full charge

NG-S2 Survival Pack
2 person tent, +20% water supplies
Sleeping bag
Flashlight w/knife; solar
Inertial compass (+2 to Survival to navigate)
Short range (5 mile) radio
First aid kit (+1 to healing; 3 uses)
Hunting/Fishing kit (+1 to Survival to forage)
Three ‘saw wires’
Fire starter
Survival Knife, hatchet, wooden cross
4 signal flares
Climbing kit w/30 rope
Soap and washcloth
Canteen
2 weeks rations
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Alecto wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:48 pm Aw man, I had an ETU character made and everything, but I don't have any character slot left. It'll be at least another quarter before I can get another one.

Maybe next semester!
PM me your character's high concept please.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Danyar

Post by Danyar »

I am working on getting my last EP needed for my 3rd character. I will build it today so you have an idea.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Danyar wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:25 am I am working on getting my last EP needed for my 3rd character. I will build it today so you have an idea.
A high concept will be sufficient for now.
Then I'll open up the forum and you can all post characters in there. Once we have the starting point you can tweak them a little before play stats to try and get a balance between you all.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Have had three more expressions of interest on Facebook today, so if they pan out we can move across to the ETU forum this weekend and get full blown characters written up and approved ready for play.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Jason Lawinski

Post by Jason Lawinski »

Jason Lawinski "Jay Law"

Jason is a nerd, but a cool nerd. Kurt Cobain and Shaggy (Rogers not 2Dope) are his role models. He is from Milwaukee WI and has spent most of his life playing games and watching movies, and most situations remind him of something from one or the other. While his parents aren't enthusiastic about his slacker lifestyle they do notice his gift with computers. He is a Computer Science major with a minor in Creative Writing. He also definitely stands out from the typical school crowd.

His family is very well off, but you wouldn't know based on how he looks and acts. He denies being spoiled even though he is an only child and has never had a job. He says that he spends his time with movies and games to learn life lessons to prepare him for the future.
Last edited by Jason Lawinski on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Daniel Carey

Post by Daniel Carey »

Daniel Carey grew up in town, but didn't stick around, he enlisted along with his best friend David Oscar. The Two-Dees as they were known were inseparable in high school, playing the same sports, same x-box games, once they even dated sisters. They even got it in their enlistment contracts that they would be assigned together.

Dan came back to Pinebox to go to college. Dave came back in a pine box. After the funeral, Dan mostly stayed away from old friends, most are either graduated from college or never went. Dan isn't sure what he's doing to study, possibly Psychology or Criminal Justice. In High School he was popular kid, athletic with good grades. Since his return he's quieter, sticking more to himself and a few other vets on campus. In his spare time he works out and reads, sometimes at the same time.

OOC: I was going to study history, but we seem to have a lot of that already.
OOC: not planing on using military background to weasel my way into higher combat skills. Dan mostly drove a desk in the army
Last edited by Daniel Carey on Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stats and char sheet
P:5 T:5
W:0
F:0
Bennies: 3

Description
Dan is 5'11" and a fit 175lbs. He is deeply tanned, more so that even native Texans. He has a thin scar on his left check.
He dresses casually, jeans and a T-shirt.

Full character sheet:
viewtopic.php?f=181&t=3249
Zoe Marsh

Post by Zoe Marsh »

Zoe Marsh

Zoe moved to Texas from Minnesota. She came to ETU to study Art, mainly painting and sculpture. Ever since she was a little girl she made art in one way or another but when she received her first paints at age of 6 she fell in love.
Short and scrawny with light blond hair and big blue eyes she was the only daughter of her loving parents. Her dad was a computer science geek that imparted his daughter with his love for coding and fandoms. From the two loving parents, she was most close with her da, bonding over long camping trips into the open wild landscapes of Minnesota. She used to love these camping trips for she loved admiring nature and soaking up inspiration for her painting but they also gave her solid survival skills, her father insisting on her learning how to fend for herself in the great wilderness and how to use a rifle.
Super shy and introverted, growing up without siblings made Zoe into somewhat of a recluse. Super smart in unconventional and unpredictable ways she retreated most of her childhood in books and research gathering approximate knowledge on a cornucopia of useless subjects, like ancient lore, mythology and the occult, that fuels her unconventional, cynical sense of humor.
Not sporty but does yoga religiously.
stats
Academics: 0, Parry: 4 , Toughness: 3, Pace: 6, Charisma: 0
bennies=4
Daniel Carey

Post by Daniel Carey »

Greywolf wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 am From a role-play point of view, as a GM I like to have players who interact with each other, and NPC's. This is after all a social hobby. Posts with openings for other players to join the scene and play are what I'd hope for.
I don't know how things are usually done here, but I was in a game once in which they had a thread for the current "plot", Chapter 1 - The SweatLodge, for example, then some roleplaying threads more or less by location. So anyone could post in the Dorm thread, or the Pizza Barn thread, etc. more or less taking place before or after the main plot
stats and char sheet

Description
Dan is 5'11" and a fit 175lbs. He is deeply tanned, more so that even native Texans. He has a thin scar on his left check.

Full character sheet:
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Daniel Carey wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:23 pm
Greywolf wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:43 am From a role-play point of view, as a GM I like to have players who interact with each other, and NPC's. This is after all a social hobby. Posts with openings for other players to join the scene and play are what I'd hope for.
I don't know how things are usually done here, but I was in a game once in which they had a thread for the current "plot", Chapter 1 - The SweatLodge, for example, then some roleplaying threads more or less by location. So anyone could post in the Dorm thread, or the Pizza Barn thread, etc. more or less taking place before or after the main plot
That's quite common here too. We have a thread like that in the Shaintar group.
Will go with what feels right at the time.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

Hm. I basically made "me" in college (history/archaeology major, band nerd, poor, fat, smart). But maybe we need a jock or cheerleader LOL I could remake a more tropey character to fill a niche if needed.
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Daniel Carey

Post by Daniel Carey »

In terms on concept, you'd be a Scholar. I'm a Local, if you squint I could be a Martial Artist or Jock

I think one of the fun parts of modern gaming is you don't have those rigid stereotypes like Barbarian, Ranger, Cleric, etc.
stats and char sheet

Description

Full character sheet:
KahlessNestor

Post by KahlessNestor »

I'm the guy you have to run faster than when the zombies come...
GM Notes
Whiskey Pete 4/2
Mia 4/2

Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

KahlessNestor wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:17 pm I'm the guy you have to run faster than when the zombies come...
Old school Call of Cthulhu joke. :lol:
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Gage Cartwright

Post by Gage Cartwright »

I'm Gage Cartwright a criminal justice student aspiring to be a police officer. Gage is no dummy, but does tend a little more twords the physical side. He prefers to deal with facts and tangable evidences, he is a bit suspicious of people, but once he considers you a friend, there is nothing he wouldn't do for you.

Although, since it seems we already have a criminal justice major (probably should have read the other ideas first!) I would be fine with switching my character up.

My other idea would be Paul Templeton, a devout young man who is studying busniess and hopes to one day run his own religious non-profit. He is a friend to most everyone, but nobody would say he's part of the in crowd. He's never invited to the party, but is somehow always there when someone needs a ride home from it.
Danyar

Post by Danyar »

David Malec is an ok Jock. He plays first base on the baseball team and has no dreams of making the majors. He was able to secure a sports scholarship and is using it to his advantage as he studies his major of Anthropology. He is from Virginia Beach, VA and has dreams of becoming a CSI after watching the various shows on TV. He likes to help people and treats others with respect and courtesy. While physically fit and excercises daily, he absolutely loves junk food, Ice Cream, Cakes and pies. His ideal Friday/Saturday night is watching movies and eating a pint or 2 of Ice Cream.
Danyar
Parry 7
Toughness 6/9
Bennies 3/3
Gold Bennies0/1
Adventure Card: Zavonis, Guide my Shot. (Shooting Penalties reduced by 4 to minimum of 0)
Daniel Carey

Post by Daniel Carey »

I could switch from CrimJ to Psych easily enough, either fits. Maybe with a minor in CrimJ so we'd share a few classes
stats and char sheet

Description

Full character sheet:
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

Daniel Carey wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 am I could switch from CrimJ to Psych easily enough, either fits. Maybe with a minor in CrimJ so we'd share a few classes
I wouldn't worry too much. A little overlap is OK, and especially in terms of classes, as the academic disciplines will probably infrequently come into play. Though obviously part of the setting rules dictates passing classes the roll for which depends on you Major skill.
Greywolf

Player Accounts
Renata Hodges

Post by Renata Hodges »

Renata, the black sheep daughter of a wealthy and influential family. She wants to be in Criminal Justice, but has been shoehorned into sports and sports medicine. Dad wasn't too keen on the idea of his little girl being in harm's way. :evil:
Greywolf
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Greywolf »

OK all, have PM'd you all with an invite to come play in our new ETU Forum

The PM details all the next steps you need to take, but if there's anything not clear drop me a message or ask one of the other in the character creation discussion thread.
Greywolf

Player Accounts

Return to “Archived Recruits”