Heroes of the Vampire Kingdoms
GM: Pender Lumkiss
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Psi-sword vs Wild Vampires

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hi Folks,

It would seem psi-swords would fall under the magic and psionics weakness for wild vampires. Basically it needs to be MD and it cannot dystroy the vampire it can only incapacitate.

Once the vampire is incapacitated its head needs to be removed, and its body burned that will stop their fast regeneration.

Going for the headshot with a psi-sword I would rule if enough damage was done to incapacitate, you would also get its head severed, and so you just need to burn the vamp with normal or MD fire to actually destroy it.

I would appreciate any feedback as to whether I am reading the rules correctly or incorrectly. I also put a post up on the google plus savage rift forum asking for some guidance and clarification.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Psi-sword vs Wild Vampires

Post by Kidemonas »

Have you considered if the attack would be considered holy coming from a character with the Champion edge?

It very much breaks convention for a Cyber-Knight not to be able to kill a vampire in battle. The drudge of chopping off heads and burning do not fit the Cyber-Knight at all.
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

You can always stake them, then go back and finish them after the fight's over.
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Looks like Clint Black answered and it was a Deliberate design.
:(
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

It is only mildly annoying that a psi-sword can't kill a vampire since it can at least incapacitate one. I don't suppose that Spartacus can pick up a bandoleer or belt to hold extra wooden stakes for handy deployment? :)
What you want is irrelevant. What you have chosen is at hand.

Spartacus of the order of Cyber-Knights
Bennies 0 of 3
ISP: 27 / 30

Active Powers: None

Alts: Professor Adam Radecliffe, Hawdore
Stats
Agility d8 | Smarts d6 | Spirit d8 | Strength d8 | Vigor d6
Pace 10 | Parry 8 | Toughness 15(6) w/ Cyber-Armor

Edges
  • Edge (IF) Champion
  • Edge (IF) AB(Psionics), 30 ISP, Speed, Smite, Deflection
  • Edge (IF) Trademark weapon (Psi-Sword)
  • Edge (IF) Improved Trademark weapon (Psi-Sword)
  • Edge (HJ) Rapid Recharge Edge
  • Edge (HJ) Ace
  • Edge Major Psionic

Hindrances
  • Hindrance (Racial/IF): Code of Honor
  • Hindrance (Major): Heroic
  • Hindrance (Minor): Stubborn
  • Hindrance (Minor): Quirk: Uses the catchphrase “I am Spartacus”

Other Abilities
  • Cyberkinetic Combat: Any purely technology-based attacks, such as lasers, rail guns, and vibro-blades, suffer a −2 to hit a Cyber-Knight. This ability stacks with the deflection power.

Powers
  • Speed of Justice (Speed) Electricity arcs across the targets body as he is propelled to even greater bursts of speed.
    • Gains the electricity trapping jolt: On a success gain a +2 Pace and +1 die to Agility on a raise for the duration of the power.
    • ISP Cost: 1 + 1
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
  • Light of Righteousness (Smite) Weapon attacks strike with a flash of pure sunlight.
    • Gains the light trapping sunlight. Light based attacks are considered sunlight when damaging a target.
    • ISP Cost: 2
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
  • Shield of Duty (Deflection) The very light bends and shifts around the target causing its outline to blur, leaving afterimages in its wage and making it difficult to localize the target.
    • A trapping of light with no additional effect.
    • Duration 3 (1/round)

Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Well at least we have two mystics in the group. So if we run out of silver we will still have options.
Krysesia
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Krysesia »

And an Undead Slayer, purpose built to kill them, and a shifter who summons spirits of light (with a silver sword that does MD), and a werejaguar whose claws hurt them and can take them down. Oh and an Apok. Good supply of stakes, lighters, some gas, and plenty of water is all we need.

I'm sure if you went to the requisition guy you could get a bandoleer of stakes pretty easily.
Krysesia of Clan Skellian, True Atlantean Shifter
Quick Stats
Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 21(10) in armor; Strain: 0
Weapon in hand: Manoan Firebolt Pistol (Ammo: 20/20) or Neptune’s Draining Blade
Bennies, Wounds, and Power Points: Tracked Here
Penitent

Post by Penitent »

Greater Smite lets you add a trapping of choice, which you could always make sunlight or running water. But Spartacus probably doesn't have Master Psionics yet.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spartacus wrote:It is only mildly annoying that a psi-sword can't kill a vampire since it can at least incapacitate one. I don't suppose that Spartacus can pick up a bandoleer or belt to hold extra wooden stakes for handy deployment? :)
Go ahead and ask Tyler if you want something super cool.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Penitent wrote:Greater Smite lets you add a trapping of choice, which you could always make sunlight or running water. But Spartacus probably doesn't have Master Psionics yet.
Or trap regular smite as sunlight damage or water damage.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Penitent wrote:Greater Smite lets you add a trapping of choice, which you could always make sunlight or running water. But Spartacus probably doesn't have Master Psionics yet.
And perfectly fitting for a Cyber-Knight.
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Currently I have my smite trapped with the flammable trapping. I do like the idea of the Sunlight trapping and I had considered it for some time. It just seemed the way I read it that it's main purpose was to enhance a standard light power. There is also the question of the visible effects of the sunlight trapping though that isn't a huge deal. It would just make smite verboten in stealthy situations I would think. But if the GM's says it's a doable trapping for smite it works for me.

Bennies 0 of 3

Stats

Edges
  • Edge (IF) Champion
  • Edge (HJ) Ace
  • Edge Major Psionic

Hindrances

Other Abilities
  • Cyberkinetic Combat: Any purely technology-based attacks, such as lasers, rail guns, and vibro-blades, suffer a −2 to hit a Cyber-Knight. This ability stacks with the deflection power.

Powers
  • Speed of Justice (Speed) Electricity arcs across the targets body as he is propelled to even greater bursts of speed.
    • Gains the electricity trapping jolt: On a success gain a +2 Pace and +1 die to Agility on a raise for the duration of the power.
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
  • Light of Righteousness (Smite) Weapon attacks strike with a flash of pure sunlight.
    • Gains the light trapping sunlight. Light based attacks are considered sunlight when damaging a target.
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
  • Shield of Duty (Deflection) The very light bends and shifts around the target causing its outline to blur, leaving afterimages in its wage and making it difficult to localize the target.
    • Duration 3 (1/round)

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Spartacus wrote:It is only mildly annoying that a psi-sword can't kill a vampire since it can at least incapacitate one. I don't suppose that Spartacus can pick up a bandoleer or belt to hold extra wooden stakes for handy deployment? :)
Would that include mundane equipment? Though while on the subject, if the sunlight trapping is a go for smite wouldn't that allow me to cast it on my laser weapons for some temporary sunlight guns? :shock:

Bennies 0 of 3

Stats

Edges
  • Edge (IF) Champion
  • Edge (HJ) Ace
  • Edge Major Psionic

Hindrances

Other Abilities

Powers
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
    • Duration 3 (1/round)

Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Spartacus wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Would that include mundane equipment? Though while on the subject, if the sunlight trapping is a go for smite wouldn't that allow me to cast it on my laser weapons for some temporary sunlight guns? :shock:
If you want some kind of cool gathering mundane item ask and roll persuasion with Tyler. If you want to just buy some mundane gear with credits out of the book just go ahead and spend away. Example Penitent wanted his beretta upgraded with some stopping power, rolled good enough and provided to rp incentive that Tyler work on his gun. Want some spring loaded crosses or a some such make a persuasion roll.

Heck yeah sunlight trapping would be freaking epic!
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

VK book has silver crosses with spring loaded silver blades that pop out so you can stab a fool with a cross. that's just MEAN.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ashlyn Alvarez
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Ashlyn Alvarez »

Every survival pack comes with a wooden cross/stake. Does the stake have to stay in the vamp, or can you just stab an incapacitated vamp with a stake through the heart and move on to the next one?
Character Tracker
Champion (+2 Damage, +2 Toughness)
Remember Blanca (WC; d8 all attributes, Strength d12+4)
Ashlyn Alvarez Character Sheet
Parry: 8; Toughness: Melee: 18 (9)/Range: 22 (13) + 2 vs supernatural evil
Encumbered: -2 to Str and Agi related rolls
Apocalypse Now: Enemies in direct confrontation with Ashlyn crit fail on a 1 or 2, even Extras.
Wild Die always a d8
Whenever you cast a spell with a Raise, reduce the PPE cost by 1 (min 0)
He Who Fights Monsters: +1d6 damage vs supernatural evil and you are always considered to have the drop on them the first round of combat. You also gain a +1 bonus to resist their powers and are more difficult for them to hit by that bonus.
Dodge: -1 to be hit by ranged attacks
Champion: +2 damage and Toughness vs. supernatural evil
Nerves of Steel: Ignore 1 point of Wound penalties
All Thumbs: When roll a 1 on Trait die while using tech, the device breaks.
Brave: +2 Fear tests
PPE: 15/25
  • Banish, Bolt, Boost/Lower, Detect Arcana, Divination, Healing, Holy Warrior, Entangle, Succor
ISP: 18/25
  • Telekinesis, Mind Reading, Puppet
Shield: 7/10 PPE
  • Deflection
Wand: 7/10 PPE
  • Dispel
Rangers: Nestor Calis (Leader) and 12 rangers (2 sleeping); 1 sun dogs (can be sacrificed as if like a benny)
  • Brave and strong willed: Fearless and able to follow their leader into the darkest of depravities: Spirit is a d8.
Bennies: 0/4
Adventure Cards
  • Once More With Feeling: Play to take any one Adventure Card from the discard pile.
  • Second Wind: Play on your hero to automatically remove all wounds sustained in this combat (but not crippling injuries). If Shaken, he is un- Shaken now as well.
  • Adrenaline Surge: Your hero gets an additional and immediate turn (including new movement).
Vela
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Vela »

The stake stays in. Regeneration resumes the instant it's removed, no matter how long the vampire has been out of action.
Character Cheat Sheet
Vela
Human
Parry:8, Toughness: 15(4)

Jaguar
Parry: 8, Toughness 13

Hybrid
Parry: 8,Toughness 18 (4)
Edges: Frenzy, Improved Frenzy

ISP: 10/10
Detect/Conceal Arcana: +2 Pace on Detect, +1d Stealth on Conceal; 3ISP
Smite: +2 Damage, can give ally opportunity to Unshake
Deflection: -2 to hit ranged and Melee, vampires are at additional -1

Combat Edges:
Danger Sense: Reflexive Notice-2 to detect ambushes or surprise attacks
Fast Healer: +2 Vigor for natural healing checks
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am having the same conversation with my other group. Here is something interesting Freemage/Libertas came up with.
Pender Lumkiss wrote:
Freemage wrote:Unless there's an official ruling counter to that, I think you're reading the RAW correctly, here--Psi-Sword with Mega Damage activated does normal damage, up to Incapacitation. And yeah, called shot to the head doing instant-decapitation if it also incapacitates the vampire makes sense.

Also, note that it's actually VERY easy to burn an incapacitated Vampire to ash--just set a crucifix, Star of David, copy of the Koran, Buddhist prayer beads, etc, on the body, and it will combust into flames.
Clint got back to us on google plus savage Rifts and basically cyberknights need to carry silver or a stake to actually kill them. But your thought on just tossing a religious symbol on the headless vampire to burn them is genius. Note: the advantage provided from the champion edge allows for a psi-sword to not be MD.
So I would allow a cyberknight to go for a headshot with the psi-sword if enough damage was delt to incapacitate the head would be decpatated as well. But like Vela said it would still regenerate( not a garanteed thing, vigor roll) unless it was burnt( the cyber knight would take a multi penalty action to do this on the same turn as decapitate) or silver/wood stuck into it heart before its turn came up..
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Ashlyn Alvarez wrote:Every survival pack comes with a wooden cross/stake. Does the stake have to stay in the vamp, or can you just stab an incapacitated vamp with a stake through the heart and move on to the next one?
It actually comes with a mallet and stake - useful for tents and vampires. And about as (not) easy to pound in. I'd say at least an action. SFoNA should say.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Kidemonas
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Kidemonas »

Leben can give you a marble. That will solve the problem as it does 2d10 to vampires within is radius and creates an area of 'holy ground'. This also prevents all the campus powers from working while within the radius.

(TLPG pg.115)
Spartacus

Post by Spartacus »

Cyber-Knight starting gear includes a silver cross and six stakes. Also the description of the silver cross in TLPG says it can be sharpened at the end like a dagger and does Str + d4 damage.

If I can trap smite with the sunlight trapping and use it on my laser weapons if needed then that plus the psi-sword's ability to incapacitate them I feel like I'm good to go.

Also, to really kill a vamp you have to burn the body and head separately and scatter the ashes so post-battle cleanup should be fun.

Bennies 0 of 3

Stats

Edges
  • Edge (IF) Champion
  • Edge (HJ) Ace
  • Edge Major Psionic

Hindrances

Other Abilities

Powers
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
    • Duration 3 (1/round)
    • Duration 3 (1/round)

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

or use copious amounts of water to drown the body into ashes. Nightbane had this wonderful scene where a vampire is tossed into a shower and held there until it ran down the drains destroyed.
Tales of the 17th SOG

Return to “Tomorrow Legion: Vampire Hunters”