Tattoos of Monster-Shaping (Exclusive to Clan Skellian)

Heroes of the Vampire Kingdoms
GM: Pender Lumkiss
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Tattoos of Monster-Shaping (Exclusive to Clan Skellian)

Post by High Command »

Monster-Shaping tattoos are a special category of tattoo that seemingly transforms the user into a member of any monster race! These tattoos do not grant "true" shapeshifting abilities, but an ectoplasm-like substance that surrounds the character's true body, disguising his appearance. True Atlanteans cannot be transformed by any means, magical or technological, but the magical Monster-Shaping tattoos do NOT physically transform the character. Instead it creates a magical false body around him. One might consider the monster shapes created by the tattoos to be a mystic monster costume, exo-skeleton or power armor with elements of illusion thrown in. The monster shape adds to the tattooed man's M.D.C. and physical P.S., P.P. and P.E., but does NOT grant the user any of the special powers of the monster race he or she is disguised as (although they simulate such power through other means). The Atlantean Monster Hunter uses these tattoos to infiltrate alien organizations or to get close to their quarry without being noticed.

Only members of Clan Skellian and a few Chiang-Ku dragons know the secrets of monster-shaping tattoos (the Chiang-Ku helped the Skellian alchemists develop the shapeshifting magic). Player characters must be affiliated with either Clan Skellian or the dragons who hold its secrets to have access to those tattoos.
Note: The Splugorth are beginning to suspect that a new category of tattoo has come into existence. Once they find proof of it, they will spare no effort to capture and study any tattooed men with shapeshifting powers.

Monster Shaping Tattoo
Duration: 3 rounds (2/round)
PPE: 5

The character may choose one bipedal animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature size one to four (size 1-4). Certain Quadrapeds are acceptable, such as a centaur - the humanoid form must be maintained and accommodated for. The character gains the better of the forms or his own physical attributes. He also gains the special abilities of the form, including vision, hearing, and natural weapons. Because of their magical nature (and so they are available for use) the character's magical tattoos will still show through the character's new form. The character can also communicate in the same physical ways as the form (so if a D-bee or monster has supersonic hearing and speech, they'd gain that), though it grants no special knowledge or skills.
The form itself is not as durable as a normal body. If the character takes two wounds, the tattoo is then treated as dispelled. It can be reactivated normally.
Shapechange (SPC2)
4 (base) + 4 (Up to Size 4) + 2 (Can Speak)
-2 must be larger than size 0
-1 retains aspects of own physical form (tattoos, etc)
-1 only one form
-1 not actually a shapechange, but a wrapping of ectoplasm given form. If the character takes two wounds while in the shapechanged form, it is dispelled.
0 takes the better of his own or the forms physical stats.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Tattoos of Monster-Shaping (Exclusive to Clan Skellian)

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

High Command you got me thinking of something along the lines of psi-sword power edge:

Two new power edges:

Power of the Monster:
Requirements: Seasoned, Disguise, Master of Magic
A exoskeleton made from ectoplasma wraps around the caster making the Disguise much more real and giving the monster form the creatures natural abilities such as flight, vision, aquatic movement, and natural weapons.

Monster Master:
Requirements: Legendary, Power of the Monster
The exoskeleton reaches its zenith as it now takes on the physical traits of the monster assumed.

Ectoplasmic Toughness
Trapping: ectoplasm surrounds the user of a beneficial power making them tougher than normal. +1 ppt gain +1 toughness, on a raise gain +1 die type to vigor.

Or alternately if we want to just cut to the chase here is a version of shapechange. First though the general trapping:

Ectoplasmic Exoskeleton Trapping: Beneficial powers see a physical suit of ectoplasm emerge wrapping their bodies making them tougher at the cost of having to require a more concentration. +1 toughness, on a raise +1 vigor die type. The spell is treated as if it is being maintained during its normal duration. Special: If the trapping in someway changes a fundamental nature of the power add +1 ppt to the activation cost.

Ectoplasm exoskeleton "Shape Change": The Shapechange is no longer a transformation, but a grafted exosekelton suit made of extoplasm that surrounds the caster. This suit helps protect the caster. In adittion: Speech and activating other powers is possible.
Ectoplasmic Exoskeleton Trapping: Beneficial powers see a physical suit of ectoplasm emerge wrapping their bodies making them tougher at the cost of having to require a more concentration. For +1 ppt: +1 toughness, on a raise +1 vigor die type. The spell is treated as if it is being maintained during its normal duration.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I am not really in favor of building a tatoo that does not follow our tattoo build guidlines. That being said I am not a fan of the trapping I proposed either, or the line of edges. The edges just seem forced, and the trapping goes way beyond a cosmetic change. The issue I have is that TAs cannot be transformed. Shapechange is a ppwer that transforms. What I purpose is a racial edge that alows Manoa TAs to use the shapechange power, perhaps a small bonus when they do use the shapechange power. Then just build a shape change tattoo using the tattoo rules, or take the shapechange power with the appropriate ectoplasmic exoskeleton trapping.

Costing an edge to bypass a resriction is not uncommon, or expand an ability. It is what edges do.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Monster Shaping Tattoo
Requirements: True Atlantean, Clan Skellian, Arcane Background (Magical Tattoos), Novice
You gain a Monster Shaping tattoo for one specific species of bipedal animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature. Once chosen the choice is permanent. This edge may be chosen once per rank.
  • Monster Shaping Tattoo (Specific Species of Creature)
    This Tattoo grants the Monster Shaping Disguise Power
    Image: A stylized version of the creature with a ghostly outline of a man or woman inside. This tattoo never shows up in the altered form.
    Activation Cost: 6-9 PPE
    Duration: 1 hour (3/hour)
    Strain: 3
    Cost: 45,000
Monster Shaping Magic
Requirements: True Atlantean, Clan Skellian, Disguise, Arcane Background (Any except Magical Tattoos, Psionics, or Weird Science), Master of Magic, Novice
You gain the Monster Shaping Unique Mega Power for the Disguise Power that replaces Mass Disguise as the Mega Power option for your character.
  • Monster Shaping Disguise
    Power Points: 6-9
    Range: Self
    Trappings: Realistic looking and feeling Ectoplasmic cocoon that looks like one specific bipedal animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature. Also, see raise effect.
    • The Monster Shaping Disguise allows the character to assume the appearance (but none of the abilities) of one bipedal animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature size one to four (size 1-4) per casting. The base cost increases to 5 Power Points, plus 1 point per level of Size difference between the character and the person she is impersonating. The character cannot emulate someone more than 4 Size levels different from themselves, nor can they assume the appearance of anyone specific. Also, the Magical tattoos of the character will appear on the skin of the new form, though they may change shape or appearance based on the needs of the controlling character. It requires a Notice roll at –2 to see through disguise if someone is familiar with this unique trapping. If unfamiliar, the penalty is –4.
      With a raise, the character gets +1 Die Increase to Strength or +1 to Toughness (player's choice) for every size increase for the duration of the Monster Shaping Disguise. These bonuses can be mixed and matched.

Power of the Monster
Requirements: Veteran, Monster Shaping Magic or Monster Shaping Tattoo, Master of Magic
A exoskeleton made from ectoplasma wraps around the caster making the Disguise much more real and giving the monster shaping form the creature's natural abilities such as flight, vision, aquatic movement, and natural weapons.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Trappings: Realistic looking and feeling Ectoplasmic cocoon that looks like one specific animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature that has arms (A centaur, gorilla or t-rex is okay, a lion or rhino-buffalo is not). Use the list that follows to decide trappings for the power to help emulate natural abilities of the creature. One comes free, others may be added at +1 PPE per trapping.

Natural Abilities Trappings for Monster Shaping Disguise
  • Aquatic: You gain the ability to breathe, speak, and move at your Pace-2 while underwater.
  • Armored Hide: +2 Armor
  • Fast: Your pace increases by 2. On a raise, your agility increase by one step.
  • Fire Attuned: You gain the ability to breathe, speak, and move at your Pace-2 while in an environment, such as the lava of a volcano.
  • Low Light Vision: You half any darkness penalty within 10". For example, a character in Dim (−1) lighting would suffer no penalty, and one in Pitch Darkness (–4) would only suffer a –2.
  • Natural Weapons: You gain a natural Weapon that does Str+1d6.
  • Space Native: You do not need to breathe, nor do you suffer decompression or other ill effects from a total lack of air or gravity.
  • Thick Skin: Your toughness increases by +1. On a raise, your Vigor increase by one step.
  • Wall Walker: You can stick to any surface, allowing him to climb walls and even hang from the ceiling. You can move along such surfaces at one quarter your normal Pace.
  • Wings: You gain flight at your Pace-2, with a climb of 0.
Tales of the 17th SOG
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Edit of the Power of the Monster Edge taking the Trappings into account

Monster Shaping Magic
Requirements: True Atlantean, Clan Skellian, Disguise, Arcane Background (Any except Magical Tattoos, Psionics, or Weird Science), Master of Magic, Novice
You gain the Monster Shaping Unique Mega Power for the Disguise Power that replaces Mass Disguise as the Mega Power option for your character.
  • Monster Shaping Disguise
    Power Points: 6-9
    Range: Self
    Trappings: Realistic looking and feeling Ectoplasmic cocoon that looks like one specific animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature that has arms (A centaur, gorilla or t-rex is okay, a lion or rhino-buffalo is not). Use the list that follows to decide trappings for the power to help emulate natural abilities of the creature. One comes free, others may be added at +1 PPE per trapping.
    • The Monster Shaping Disguise allows the character to assume the appearance (but none of the abilities) of one bipedal animal, creature of magic, or supernatural creature size one to four (size 1-4) per casting. The base cost increases to 5 Power Points, plus 1 point per level of Size difference between the character and the person she is impersonating. The character cannot emulate someone more than 4 Size levels different from themselves, nor can they assume the appearance of anyone specific. Also, the Magical tattoos of the character will appear on the skin of the new form, though they may change shape or appearance based on the needs of the controlling character. It requires a Notice roll at –2 to see through disguise if someone is familiar with this unique trapping. If unfamiliar, the penalty is –4.
      With a raise, the character gets +1 Die Increase to Strength or +1 to Toughness (player's choice) for every size increase for the duration of the Monster Shaping Disguise. These bonuses can be mixed and matched.
    Natural Abilities Trappings for Monster Shaping Disguise
    • Aquatic: You gain the ability to breathe, speak, and move at your Pace-2 while underwater.
    • Armored Hide: +2 Armor
    • Fast: Your pace increases by 2. On a raise, your agility increase by one step.
    • Fire Attuned: You gain the ability to breathe, speak, and move at your Pace-2 while in an environment, such as the lava of a volcano.
    • Low Light Vision: You cut any darkness penalty within 10" in half. For example, a character in Dim (−1) lighting would suffer no penalty, and one in Pitch Darkness (–4) would only suffer a –2.
    • Natural Weapons: You gain a natural Weapon that does Str+1d6.
    • Space Native: You do not need to breathe, nor do you suffer decompression or other ill effects from a total lack of air or gravity.
    • Thick Skin: Your toughness increases by +1. On a raise, your Vigor increase by one step.
    • Wall Walker: You can stick to any surface, allowing him to climb walls and even hang from the ceiling. You can move along such surfaces at one quarter your normal Pace.
    • Wings: You gain flight at your Pace-2, with a climb of 0.
Power of the Monster
Requirements: Veteran, Monster Shaping Magic or Monster Shaping Tattoo, Master of Magic
A exoskeleton made from ectoplasma wraps around the caster making the Disguise much more real and giving the monster shaping form the creature's natural abilities such as flight, vision, aquatic movement, and natural weapons.
Further, it modifies the Trappings above to read as follows:
  • Aquatic: Your Pace while underwater increases by +2.
  • Armored Hide: Add an additional +2 Armor.
  • Fast: (unchanged)
  • Fire Attuned: Your Pace while in a fiery environment, such as the lava of a volcano, increases by +2.
  • Low Light Vision: You gain a +2 bonus to negate any penalties while in areas of limited or no light.
  • Natural Weapons: Your natural weapon does M.D.
  • Space Native: You gain a flight speed of your pace-2 while in space, or increase an existing flight speed by 2 while in vacuum.
  • Thick Skin: (unchanged)
  • Wall Walker: Your pace while walking on walls or ceilings increases by 2.
  • Wings: You gain a climb of 1 or increase your flight pace by 2.
New Tattoo
Masquerade Mask (1): This tattoo grants the Disguise power.
Image: A fancy mask obscuring a face.
Activation Cost: 3-5 P.P.E.
Strain: 2
Cost: 40,000

Monster Shaping Tattoo
Requirements: True Atlantean, Contact: Clan Skellian Alchemist, Masquerade Mask Tattoo, Novice
You may replace Mass Disguise with the Monster Shaping Disguise of Clan Skellian.
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

My only concern is that the tattoo is giving a mega power. Tattoos are capable of doing that using I think it is the power ink trapping, however that specific trapping while only allowing the mega power to be used does cause a level of fatigue as a trade off. I think it might just be better off, making a disguise tattoo, and letting the player to either choose to have master of magic, or use the power ink trapping to gain the new mega power.

Other than that, I can live with the above, and approve it for this campaign.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Actually they can have Master of Magic, which nets them the Mega Power version of their power tattoos. So the edge would work - we just need a disguise tattoo. Updated above
Tales of the 17th SOG
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Ok to be clear, for myself as much as a player. You have two options, ad both require a specific race of TA:

1) Take the disguise tattoo Masquerade Mask.
  • Take the edge
Monster shaping tattoo to gain access to the Monster shaping Mega power ( this replaces the mass diguise Power). The character would at this point either had to have had the Power Ink trapping which lets them use only the mega power at the cost of a fatigue level, or they have master of magic to actually use any mega power option.

2) Take the disguise power for your AB.
  • Take the edge Monster shaping magic: This changes the mega power option for disguise to Monster shaping Disguise.
Either option can also take the power edge Power of the Monster to even further the natural abilities gained while assuming the shape. The mega option is locked into one creature type. That does seem fairly limiting, if it is inline with the PR flavor of the ability I am fine with it, but I could see an edge that allows for more monster types to be disguised.

Monsters Abound:
The mega power of Monster shaping is no longer locked into one monster type
( Just a thought)

As long as I have this understood, I am aboard with it.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

well the spell isn't locked, only the tattoo - much like Summon Monster is not limited but the Monster Tattoo is.

The big thing for the AB power is that it is self only. In no way will it work for anyone else.

But yes, you otherwise have the same understanding I do
Tales of the 17th SOG

Return to “Tomorrow Legion: Vampire Hunters”