Things going south and honesty from the GM

Put old stuff here
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Things going south and honesty from the GM

Post by Ndreare »

So the scene right now took a hard right and an encounter that I expected to be a chase scene and it looked like you guys where going to walk away with has just turned into a potential battle.

My concern is the forces played out where balanced it as "obvious overwhelming force to run from" not as "solid fight the players will enjoy". This means my expectation was for the chase to end and you guys to return to Wheaton and have a down time before we moved on to the next adventure.

Right now it is looking a lot like it will turn into a fight, and I want you guys as players to decide what you want and make sure you are on the same page here.

While the rewards for victory would be astronomical. The risk in an encounter like this could be multiple characters going blaze of Glory.

i do not want to be that 'killer GM who trapped you, so I want yall to chat up how to proceed OOC so everyone can still have fun even if in character things are tense.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Pursuit
Game Master

Re: Things going south and honesty from the GM

Post by Pursuit »

I have to say, I think Hardin would be down for a scrape. He doesn’t trust the CS in the slightest, and in tense situations he’d default to what he knows best.

I wouldn’t be mad if it came down to him blazing; the scene is cool enough to warrant it. That’s not my goal, mind you (especially because for the first time in forever I don’t have a character I'm dying to play bouncing around in my head that I would want to replace him with), but it wouldn’t upset me.

Edit: Also, (1) the loot haul would be insane, and (2) we would likely not need to beat all of the assembled dead boys in order to win the encounter. Though the CS are known for their military prowess, killing 1/3 - 1/2 of their number would probably be enough to break their will and send them into retreat. That fraction might be higher for the Red Bastards, but not for their support troops.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Arthur_Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Arthur_Bishop »

If they try to hurt the hostages Arthur will intervene.

That being said, I've only had a character in this game for a few months so I don't have the time and effort put into it that many of the rest of you do. I'm fine violence or not, though Arthur will follow the orders to stand down unless compelled to do otherwise.
Arthur

Current Wounds: 1
Current Bennies: 1
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Zapper
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5; Strain: 0
Skills:
Psionics d10 (2)(From IF)
Fighting d6 (2 free points from HJ Roll)
Gambling d6 (2)
Intimidation d8 (3)
Investigation d6 (2)
Knowledge (Politics) d4 (1)
Notice d6 (2)
Shooting d6 (2 from HJ Roll)
Stealth d4 (1)
Streetwise d4 (1)
Survival d4 (1)
Throwing d4 (1 from HJ Roll)

Hindrances
Heroic (Major): Must respond to those who ask for help.
Compulsion (Minor): Gambling
Vow (Minor): Defend the weak

Edges
Improved Electrical Aura (from being human): Complex See TLPG
Rapid Lightning Bolt (From Major Hindrance): Gains RoF 3 with electrical attack.
Scrounger (From HJ Roll): Once per session may find some useful tool or resource (see TLPG forexamples)
Connections: Black Market (From HJ Roll): May make a Streetwise roll to find a contact followed by a Persuasion roll to gain resources.
Major Psionic (From IF): May spend 2 ISP for +1 to Psionics roll or 4 ISP for +2 to Psionics roll
Charismatic (From advance): The character gains +2 Charisma
Epiphany. Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session. (Traded with Hardin, currently using for driving)
Foxx

Post by Foxx »

I'd rather not have to go out in a blaze of glory. I like this character.
Fauxalyn Norquinal
Character Name: Fauxalyn, Foxx
Parry: 5; Toughness: 5, Armor: 12 (+7), Spell & Armor: 22 (+7 & +10)
PP: 65/25
Wound -1, Soul Wound
  • Ley Line Magic Master
  • Ley Line Rejuvenation
  • Ley Line Sense
  • Ley Line Transmission
  • Ley Line Walking
  • Ley Line Observation Sphere
  • Ley Line Phasing
Bennies: 2

Edges:
  • Improved Rapid Recharge
  • Danger Sense
  • Linguist

Powers

Armor/Greater Armor, Bolt/Onslaught, Detect/Conceal Arcana, Dispel/Exalted Dispel, Invisibility/True Invisibility, Teleport/Greater Teleport

Legendary Trait:
  • World of Badass - Wild dice now 1d8
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

It was asked what the force composition was.

Mechanized Patrol
  • 4 UAR1 Enforcers (1 Wild Card Officer)
  • 4 SAMAS
The Red Bastards (An elite CS Death Squad of Mage Hunters)
  • Nash (a Major villain who i planned on being recurring)
  • 12 & 13 Two wild card Mage Hunters (Mind Melter + Psi-Stalker)
  • 3 Mind Melters
  • 6 Skelebots
  • They drive a Mark V
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Arthur_Bishop
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Arthur_Bishop »

So essentially each OC would have to take out at least either a SAMAS or a UAR-1 and that isn't even accounting for the Mind Melters and skelebots. If we fight it's possible we could win but the odds of us doing so without any if the PC's (and probably a good chunk of the hostages) are pretty slim. Again I'm good either way we want to do this.
Arthur

Current Wounds: 1
Current Bennies: 1
Race: Human
Iconic Framework: Zapper
Attributes: Agility d6, Smarts d6, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d6
Charisma: +2; Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 5; Strain: 0
Skills:
Psionics d10 (2)(From IF)
Fighting d6 (2 free points from HJ Roll)
Gambling d6 (2)
Intimidation d8 (3)
Investigation d6 (2)
Knowledge (Politics) d4 (1)
Notice d6 (2)
Shooting d6 (2 from HJ Roll)
Stealth d4 (1)
Streetwise d4 (1)
Survival d4 (1)
Throwing d4 (1 from HJ Roll)

Hindrances
Heroic (Major): Must respond to those who ask for help.
Compulsion (Minor): Gambling
Vow (Minor): Defend the weak

Edges
Improved Electrical Aura (from being human): Complex See TLPG
Rapid Lightning Bolt (From Major Hindrance): Gains RoF 3 with electrical attack.
Scrounger (From HJ Roll): Once per session may find some useful tool or resource (see TLPG forexamples)
Connections: Black Market (From HJ Roll): May make a Streetwise roll to find a contact followed by a Persuasion roll to gain resources.
Major Psionic (From IF): May spend 2 ISP for +1 to Psionics roll or 4 ISP for +2 to Psionics roll
Charismatic (From advance): The character gains +2 Charisma
Epiphany. Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session. (Traded with Hardin, currently using for driving)
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Arthur_Bishop wrote:So essentially each OC would have to take out at least either a SAMAS or a UAR-1 and that isn't even accounting for the Mind Melters and skelebots. If we fight it's possible we could win but the odds of us doing so without any if the PC's (and probably a good chunk of the hostages) are pretty slim. Again I'm good either way we want to do this.
So, I think it bears clarification that I would be just as happy to avoid this fight as I would be to have it. I’m not trying to kill my character, here. :)

That said, I don’t think we’d need to beat all of those baddies; just enough to make ‘em run. Still a tall order, but maybe not quite that tall.

Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Hire I see things.

Foxx is unwilling to be searched.

Physically searching an innocent person against their will is simply wrong.

The CS will require searching 100% to allow temporary escape.

There may be refugees unwilling to be searched (I planned to roll versus a TN 8 for them to say no).

Another option would be to run again.

This would risk a round of firing by the in position mecha, but 12 & 13 would slow them add they need to get in. Putting things back to were they were before the stop (excepting the shots fired).

However, I only have 3 bennies + would card bennies giving you an edge there.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
Rob Hunter
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Rob Hunter »

My character wont let those coalition robots touch him, so he is against being detained and searched as well.

I say we just get the hell out of here. But if everyone else wants to stand and fight, then I will too.
"Robots, why did it have to be robots..."
Rob Hunter, M.A.R.S. Power Armor Pilot
Rob Hunter, Human, M.A.R.S. Super Trooper Power Armor Pilot
Pace: 7; Parry: 8; Toughness: 19(10)
Combat-Relevant Edges & Abilities:
  • Dirty Fighter: +2 to Trick maneuvers.
  • Quick: Whenever you are dealt a 5 or lower in combat, you may discard and draw again until you get a card higher than 5.
  • Brave: +2 to Fear tests.
  • Giant Killer: +1d6 damage when attacking creatures three sizes or more larger than himself.
  • Steady Hands: Ignores the “unstable platform” penalty for fring from the backs of animals or riding in moving vehicles. When performing actions while Running (see page 65), his penalty is -1 instead of -2.
  • Charge: Ignore the multi-action penalty for Running when making a Fighting atack at the end of movement.
  • Battle Hardened: Add +2 to all Soak rolls
Wounds: 1/3; Fatigue: 0/2
Bennies: 0/3
Adventure Cards
  • Extra Effort: Play to add +1d6 to any trait roll. This roll may Ace.
  • Boom! Head Shot: You may ignore any Called Shot penalty on your next ranged attack.
  • Noble Sacrifice: Play when an adjacent ally suffers damage. You suffer the damage instead.
Edit Signature
Leethe
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Leethe »

Leethe saw it get stolen?
Status Tracker
Leethe

Pace: 6 Parry: 6 Toughness: 12(5)
Note: When she has shroud up, all attacks against her suffer -1 penalty and she gains +1 to stealth trait rolls.
Wounds: 0 / 3 ; Fatigue: 0 / 2
ISP: 38 / 40 ; Energy: 10/15 Item Energy: 20/20
Bennies: 1 / 3
Golden Bennies: 0
Log
Q4 2019
  • 10/1: Benny spent for reroll of Psionic skill
  • Benny reset
  • 11/26: Benny for Soak and Benny for Reroll
Edit Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Leethe wrote:Leethe saw it get stolen?
The CS data drive was found by Billy and Erin while repairing the APC. L.C. had it and when he went back to base turned it over to the Legion. the began working on it and found out it was a detailed list of Magic Zone infiltrators in the CS. L.C. has the knowledge of the list, but not the list itself.

This data is the reason why Rebuke has been hunting you and why the CS are so desperate they sent The Red Bastards their most elite mage hunters.
  • 2D6 EFFECT

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

let's put this another way. We can let a couple of psi-stalkers search us to verify what we already know - the drive is not here. If they try to walk away with anything else L.C. will personally ventilate them and let their boss know they got grabby.

I was trying to eliminate an enemy by means of info we don't need and would just as soon seen used. Unless you like the idea of the Federation of Magic possibly using the CS to attack us more. These guys have a goal, and our destruction is not their primary mission. In fact if they did destroy us, it would in fact leave them frustrated and facing censure as they have literally no leads. It would probably end up with an assault on Castle Refuge itself - either by them or activating one of the spies they have to search for intel.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Alright - decision time:

From Rob: I was PM'ed about how serious the death threat is. I think it is important for me to communicate clearly.

I do not instant kill player's characters. it is not interesting and does not increase anyone's fun or tension.
However, i also do not think it is right to coddle them and eliminate risk. The heroes who chose to stay behind are in real serious danger. The CS, will take advantage of them being bound to torture them, mind read them, and mind control them for when the others return with the data. The CS will have a clear and decisive plan to kill all of them, The 99, but most especially Brison and Hardin because they are traitors in Nash's eyes who have willing risked the lives of mankind for their own selfish motivations.
I will assume as a GM, that you guys will be cooking up a plan to rescue your team mates without a APC full on innocents. Likewise Nash will assume the same and be planning for it.
Characters may die, but if they do it will be in an interesting way, not as pointless executions

Me: So with that said, I have two proposals
  • One, the three of us walk back to the CS meek as you please surrender into their "loving" mercies and play it out. If we're all resolved to die or blaze out, we might as well play it out and see what happens.
  • Two, the three of us walk back, meek as you please and in close proximity begin combat in earnest while the APCs escape. Hardin sends his horse to extract Arthur and Sir William and I blaze out to let them get away; between Arthur and Sir William, they are screwed; and LC can definitely hold off the Red Bastards until he dies
Thoughts, especiall Sir William's player
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Third proposal: you go with them. Hardin, Brison and Rob (in L.C.'s now not-being-used flying power armor) circle back ahead of the CS and set an ambush. Rob can bring some of his Super Trooper's awesome Maysies and we can use the charges to cause a distraction and to bust up the APC and take you back. It'd be high-risk and would have to be a quick job, but it would be fun and could potentially get everyone out without anyone having to blaze.

Return to “Archive”