Heavy Particle Cannon (Super Tech Signature Item)

Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Heavy Particle Cannon (Super Tech Signature Item)

Post by Sparky »

Mk I Version
Heavy Particle Cannon
  • Base Item: Heavy Vehicle Laser
  • Range 150/300/600 | Damage 4d10 | RoF 1 | AP 15 | Shots — | Mods 3 | Cost 1 million credits
Augmentations
  • Minor(2): +2 Shooting
  • Major: +1 Die Type to Damage
  • Major: Integrated with Power Armor's nuclear power supply.
  • Major: Power: Pummel
  • Quirk: Range is reduced by half (75/150/300)
Looking at this for a potential signature item (and weapon upgrade) for Sparky in the first. Not sure about the need for the mod to integrate it with the armor's power supply. I thought that was mentioned at one point but I could be wrong. Also, does the mega version of a power require two slots?
Mk II Version
Heavy Particle Cannon Mk II
  • Range 150/300/600 | Damage 4d10 | RoF 1 | AP 15 | Shots — | Mods 3 | Cost 1 million credits
  • Snapfire
Augmentations
  • Minor: Trapping: Overcharge - Overcharging the cannon causes an extra damage die, but on the roll of 1 for the shooting die the weapon must recharge for a round before it can be fired again.
  • Minor: +1 to Shooting
  • Major: +1 Die Type to Shooting
  • Major: Integrated with Power Armour's nuclear power supply.
  • Major: Integrated weapon: Wilk’s 457 Pulse Rifle
    • Range 40/80/160 | Damage 3d6+2 | RoF 2 | AP 3 | Shots 36 | 6 lbs. | Notes: SA, 3RB
Ok, so the Mk II version ditches the pummel power and adds an integrated laser rifle for dealing with mooks. Also added the overcharge trapping that Pender suggested. Changed the die bump to Shooting. Added a note about the snapfire quality as I tend to forget about that most of the time. Question: Would the snapfire quality extend to the integrated laser rifle? Also, let me know if I still need to spend a slot to integrate the weapon with the armor's power supply. A heavy weapon does this by default so I'm not sure if it is needed or not but I figured I'd leave it in until that can be clarified.
Heavy Particle Cannon Mk III
  • Snapfire
Augmentations
  • Minor: Trapping: Weapon fires a concentrated stream of charged particles at nearly light-speed with damage resulting from the tremendous amount of kinetic energy hitting the target.
  • Major: Integrated weapon: Wilk's 457 Pulse Rifle
    • Range 40/80/160 | Damage 3d6+2 | RoF 2 | AP 3 | Shots 36 | 6 lbs. | Notes: SA, 3RB
  • Quirk: Cohesion of the charged particle beam is considerably lower than for other energy weapons so as a result range is reduced by half (75/150/300)
Ok, so the Mk III version removes the mode integrating the weapon to the armor's power supply since that isn't needed with no powers and adds another die type to shooting. Final question does the listed quirk satisfy the requirements regarding repair. If not, any suggestions?
Last edited by Sparky on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:55 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tribe of One

Re: Heavy Particle Cannon (Super Tech Signature Item)

Post by Tribe of One »

You don't need to use an upgrade slot to integrate with the armor, but the pummel power will have its own power supply, which starts at 5 PP, I think. And yes, making it the Mega version costs a Major Upgrade.

Of note, too, is that you can't do a die type upgrade to damage, because it's not a Trait. Only Skills and Abilities like Strength can be upgraded that way.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

This is a MOD 3 weapon. What armor is it for?
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

@RFT: A retrapped Samson PA so size 3.

@Tribe: Hmmmm, I thought I had ssen other examples of damage die upgrades.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Tribe of One wrote:You don't need to use an upgrade slot to integrate with the armor, but the pummel power will have its own power supply, which starts at 5 PP, I think. And yes, making it the Mega version costs a Major Upgrade.

Of note, too, is that you can't do a die type upgrade to damage, because it's not a Trait. Only Skills and Abilities like Strength can be upgraded that way.
Super tech does say it csts a major slot to upgrade to a vehicle power source.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

The Damage Die Upgrade is one of the ones I put in the list of possible GM-Approved Upgrades in the thread I started way back in House Rules. My gut-thought was that it should be priced the same as upgrading Strength would be, on the grounds that it has the same overall effect if applied to a Close Combat Weapon, but cost would then be multiplied by the number of dice affected. So it'd be 40K for a 4-die weapon to go from d10s to d12s.

But, as noted, this would be one of those unofficial options, and probably should be discussed for balance.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

or maybe use the overcharge trapping in the sci-fi companion for lasers. Add an extra die type but if any shooting dice are a 1 the weapon needs a round to recharge before it can be fired.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:or maybe use the overcharge trapping in the sci-fi companion for lasers. Add an extra die type but if any shooting dice are a 1 the weapon needs a round to recharge before it can be fired.
I like this idea. Let's see if it will fly.
Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Updated original post with the Mk II. Let me know what you think.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Sparky wrote:
Mk I Version
Heavy Particle Cannon
Augmentations
  • Minor(2): +2 Shooting
  • Major: +1 Die Type to Damage
  • Major: Integrated with Power Armor's nuclear power supply.
  • Major: Power: Pummel
Looking at this for a potential signature item (and weapon upgrade) for Sparky in the first. Not sure about the need for the mod to integrate it with the armor's power supply. I thought that was mentioned at one point but I could be wrong. Also, does the mega version of a power require two slots?
Heavy Particle Cannon Mk II
  • Snapfire
Augmentations
  • Minor: Trapping: Overcharge - Overcharging the cannon causes an extra damage die, but on the roll of 1 for the shooting die the weapon must recharge for a round before it can be fired again.
  • Major: Integrated with Power Armour's nuclear power supply.
  • Major: Integrated weapon: Wilk’s 457 Pulse Rifle
Ok, so the Mk II version ditches the pummel power and adds an integrated laser rifle for dealing with mooks. Also added the overcharge trapping that Pender suggested. Changed the die bump to Shooting. Added a note about the snapfire quality as I tend to forget about that most of the time. Question: Would the snapfire quality extend to the integrated laser rifle? Also, let me know if I still need to spend a slot to integrate the weapon with the armor's power supply. A heavy weapon does this by default so I'm not sure if it is needed or not but I figured I'd leave it in until that can be clarified.
Snapfire probably would, since you have to swing the whole weapon around to take aim, in either case. That said, if there's no Powers involved, no, it shouldn't need a slot to hook up to the vehicular power supply. Give it the Marksman Edge, if the character doesn't have it--so it becomes extremely accurate when you're not moving.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Freemage wrote:Snapfire probably would, since you have to swing the whole weapon around to take aim, in either case. That said, if there's no Powers involved, no, it shouldn't need a slot to hook up to the vehicular power supply. Give it the Marksman Edge, if the character doesn't have it--so it becomes extremely accurate when you're not moving.
Applying Snapfire to the laser rifle isn't a huge deal for me so that's fine. Plan on using 3RB with the laser rifle most of the time anyway. I thought about Marksman but Sparky's battlefield tactics tend to be to bounce around the battlefield on jump jets so Marksman would have limited use. If I don't need the slot for the power connection then I'll probably just add another die type to Shooting. Hmm, might have to flip a coin on that one.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Maybe Steady Hands, instead? Get rid of mobile platform penalties?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Freemage wrote:Maybe Steady Hands, instead? Get rid of mobile platform penalties?
I didn't think that would work for Power Armor. I suppose the reduction in the running penalty would apply.
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Sparky wrote:
Freemage wrote:Maybe Steady Hands, instead? Get rid of mobile platform penalties?
I didn't think that would work for Power Armor. I suppose the reduction in the running penalty would apply.
Ah, right, Power Armor, not Robot Armor. That doesn't suffer Unstable Platform to begin with, so the Edge would only apply to running--you're correct there. In that case, yes, the die-type to Shooting is probably a better bet.
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Sparky
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Sparky »

Ok, Mk III has minor changes. Changed trapping to give it that particle effect and expanded the explanation of the quirk. Also removed the major mod for power integration as it was no longer needed and added another +1 die type to Shooting.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Does this need moved to approved or abandoned?

i think it is being used in a game so approved, but unsure.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Don't think it matters since the player is in the wind. But stick it in approved for consistency's sake.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!

Return to “Approved Items”