Zapper EMP Nerf, if anyone's interested

Tribe of One

Zapper EMP Nerf, if anyone's interested

Post by Tribe of One »

After first contact with the Zapper re-trapped IF, the EMP ability (supposed to replace the Burster's relatively pedestrian "Everything Burns" ability) seems wackadoodle, equivalent to the Legendary, capstone ability in a three-Edge chain of cyber-knight Iconic Edges. Not passing muster in the New West game.

Instead, I came up with this replacement/nerf, which is basically the Malfunction power from SPC2 with the Limitation: Electronic Devices Only. (Effectively a 2-pt. ability, equivalent to an Edge, which seems more in line with the utility of Everything Burns).

EMP: Using a controlled burst of electro-magnetic energy a Zapper can attempt to shut down technological devices and systems. As an action, she can target an electronic device or vehicle within her Spirit range in inches and make a Psionics roll, minus the modifiers below. If successful, the device (or in the case of large or complex devices, a single subsystem) malfunctions in some way; with a Raise, the device or system suffers a random Technical Difficulty.
Simple to moderately complex devices just stop working and must be restarted or repaired (typically an action) to be used again. Complex devices lose a random subsystem, unless a specific subsystem is targeted (at an additional -2 penalty to the Psionics roll).
Rolls against simple items like a hand-held radio or security camera are made at no penalty. Moderately complex devices, including laser rifles and portable computers, impose a -2 modifier; Complex or alien technology and shielded military hardware (including power armor, robot vehicles and cybernetics), impose a -4 penalty. Attempts to affect androids, 'Borgs and other sentient machines require an opposed roll at -4 against the target's Smarts. Techno-wizard devices, magical items and machines that are purely mechanical are unaffected.

I'm not sure if there's any appetite for revising previously-approved House Rules right now, but if anyone else wants to steal this for their game/character, there it is.
GM Bennies: 7/7
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Zapper EMP Nerf, if anyone's interested

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Malfunction electronics only seems perfect to me.

Good fix for those using zappers to discuss with their GMs.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Calyx
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Zapper EMP Nerf, if anyone's interested

Post by Calyx »

HEY! Don't you go nerfing the IF ability I put together and have never actually used for the Zapper I play!!

....though I'm not too worried as eventually the official Zapper will be coming out in the next wave of Savage Rifts books so we can see how close or far off I was.
Calyx Calder
Character Summary
Human Zapper

Active effects: Deflection (-3 to be hit).
Wounds::

Parry: 6 (7 w/ vambraces); Toughness: 16(9)
Weapon in hand: Vibro-Blade Vambraces or Kolytik

Edges: AB Psionics, Danger Sense, Luck, Major Psionics, Quick, Rapid Recharge, Rich

Powers: Armor, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Telekinesis
ISP: 26/30

Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3

Memento (Two-Face's Decision)
  • Once per Session, can be used to alleviate a level of Fatigue.
Adventure Card:
  • Ace: Play instead of rolling to make a trait test with a single automatic raise.
  • Lucky Break: Play this card to completely negate the damage from one attack.
Currently playing in: 7th Set Joker's Jokers

Return to “Archive”