Quick Combat Rules

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust" T.S. Eliot
Tribe of One

Quick Combat Rules

Post by Tribe of One »

Several of the games on the site make occasional use of the Savage Worlds Quick Combat rules, which you can find in full here. Similar to a Dramatic Task, it's a quick and dirty way to deal with shorter combats in a narrative fashion. The GM uses them often in both games I play in and they work really well in certain situations, so I intend to use them in the 18th when appropriate.

Quick Combat: The Quick Version
  • Each character makes one roll, using a Skill or Trait of your choice, to represent your efforts in the combat. Gonna unload with your pulse rifle? Make a Shooting roll. Raining down arcane fire? Roll Spellcasting. Want to activate the Golden Age security measures in the abandoned bunker using passwords you guessed due to your fondness for pre-Rifts pop culture? Roll Knowledge: History. Roll your Wild Die, as well, and apply any applicable modifiers that make sense, for darkness, distance, Fatigue you've taken, etc.
  • Depending on relative power level, tactical advantage and surprise, you will have a scene modifier that could apply anywhere from a +6 to a -6 to your rolls.
  • There is no initiative order, just make your post and use your roll to narrate how well you do. Try to leave something for everyone to do.
  • A critical failure means you have received 1d3 wounds, and were not able to help the group succeed. Perhaps though, your defeat was epic.
  • On a failure, you received 1 wound. You might have had some impact but you also were wounded in the process. You use up 3d6 power points spent or charges from your weapon, as appropriate.
  • Success, you did a good job, maybe not a legendary victory, but you did what was required to save the day. You spent 2d6 ammo or power points.
  • Success with raise, your contribution is legendary. Bards will be singing songs for years to come about what you did this day. You certainly shined during this combat. You spent 1d6 ammo or power points.
GM Bennies: 7/7

Return to “18th COT Adventure Forums”