Gloom Part 2: Wrecked and a Robbery

Now stop nagging me.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Gloom Part 2: Wrecked and a Robbery

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Wreckage at the Radio Station

Upon returning to the radio station after a night of epic proportions you find it in a state of unexpected disrepair. Similar fire bomb markings to what you saw at the children's hospital score the front doors to the warehouse. Upon investigating, it looks like whomever these OTO folks are also hit here at some point during the night. OTO is spray painted in large letters on the stage. The real damage is when you get to the studio on the other side of the building. The studio door is busted in, its glass shattered on the ground. Two men can be heard talking, one is Vector, and the other distinctly German. The studio is smallish but had a ton of great equipment now burnt and busted up. The office of Vector is absolutely ruined. Tables, pre-rift albums, a verity of artifacts broken and shattered. Vector looks about as bad as his office, his face is bruised, and beaten. His knuckles look awfully bloody, and his breathing is raspy and shallow. His shirt and pants are torn, and stained with blood, his or someone elses perhaps.
The other individual in the room, with the German accent is wearing armor very similar to Markus although his left arm seems to be missing. He is bent down over Vector clearly trying to apply some kind of first aid, but it is not going well.
Vick Shultz
Vick.jpg
Vick.jpg (6.81 KiB) Viewed 7850 times
Vector gurgles out, " Someone's coming Vick... Oh no, urghh..." The German, Vick turns around with one arm braced for a fight, but Vector grabs him with a bloody hand... " No Vick, its them... The ones I told you about... Beautiful Drie Marbles Left." Vector's other hand holds a box with a variety of circuits and ports on it, about one half of it has been broken off.
Kn Electronics or computers
Probably the master cred chip collector, that was used to interface with all the donors, broken like it is... The credits could be lost! Hold Libertas back folks!!!!
Vick, stands back for a moment looking at you all quizzically, " Das was goot playing!" His voice is thick with a german accent. He grips his country man Markus holding up his NGR markings on his armor, " You did us proud brother." He smiles at the rest of the 13th, " I caught some of your music on my way here... Drie Marbles Left, is all you see before you. We were delayed..." He grabs his missing arm, " Roving pack of murder Wraiths outside of Stormspire... I..." He shudders and smiles weakly trying to bury the memory, " I never thought joy could touch my heart... But your music..." His voice trails off and he places his hand on his heart.
Vick steps back and sits on the floor on some papers. His face is ashen and eyes are wide.

The Job: The set up phase

After a couple of moments, Vector Inlay crawls to the group and manages to gain his footing he holds out the broken master cred box shaking his head.
" They stole it. Those frakers at the AC and their OTO thugs! Vector spits out some blood, " OTO thugs, are little more than the muscle and scourge the Arcane Company uses to sow dissent and doom in our city." He holds the broken box menacingly, " They came into my office a few hours ago, and took every last cred you guys got those orphans. Enough to build ten of the best orphanages known." Vector rubs his temples smearing blood on them, " I thought the thugs at first were the new muscle the AC hired. Supposedly they are ex members of BAMF, but I got a bead on who they really are... The new folks Rene and the AC hired are cold blooded killers, members of the Black Company!" He chuckles to himself realizing the irony here, " Its a good thing only those Ordo Templi Orientis thugs came for me and the creds... They had a cracker, one of Rene's top guys with them. Dammit! I tried, but... He coughs up some blood, " I am not a fighter." He drops to a knee and crawls on his belly into a swath of papers and notes. He frantically recovers several documents and then slowly struggling mightily against his wounds he slides back on his self made blood slick. He holds up papers, of notes, drawing and schematics. Struggling to speak he forces out a gurgled, " Here... Everything Giest and I have on the Arcane Company... They are behind this... Save the orphanage...." His eyes flutter for a second, but he jerks back conscious. His side looks awful, oozing blood slowly from a grizzly gash.

It seems pure passion at this point is keeping Vector conscious as He hands the papers to someone on the 13th, " Look I thought this concert could get the town to pull together and oust the AC and OTO, but we need help. Giest our mayor and I have done a lot of the leg work. Look, we know their strengths... But our police force has been decimated by the AC and we lack the folks to figure out a way to overcome them and get inside. Odds are they got the creds, and enough evidence to expose who they are sealed away tight in their Red Vault."
He looks up at the members of the 13th his voice is shaking and full of emotion, " I am not going to lie to you, the AC they are good... But we can get you to the vault. It contains information on all their current operations, and enough evidence to expose them for the public enemies they are." He shakes his fist with fury, "And it will have our creds stored their until they scrub our ID off them. With some planning you can hit their facility, get down to the vault, and retrieve the info and credits. We know whats there but what happens when those red vault doors open is anyone's guess. This town needs some heroes ready to fight for its well being, can we count on you to get the creds, and ledgers? Giest will also pay you 100,000 credits each as a sign of our appreciation, but time is not our friend, it should take them 4 days to scrub the credits clean, and then they will be lost." Vector is shaking and barely is able to keep his eyes open, but has enough strength left to wait for your answer.
The papers and notes Vector Hands you
This would seem a list of their scouted strengths that would need to be overcame in some manner to gain a successful entry into the building, through its levels, and to the fabled Red Vault. A reconnaissance of the building also reveals this information is accurate. Unless specifically stated otherwise it will be assumed that all players make it down to the red vault, should the 13th be successful. The notes, diagrams, and information handed over are well put together even if a little bloddied. It would seem many man hours went into collecting this information in such great detail. The areas that need to be over come are as follows:
  • The sniper nest on the top of the building, it uses semi-permanent invisibility spell to keep the occupant hidden from view
  • The main guards outside the front door, usually 2-3 thugs that have a rotating watch.
  • A special Arcane signature is given to all those who pass through the main front doors, this signature allows access to certain levels.
  • Second floor security room has at least 10 special force guards, with remote viewing sensors of the loading dock, main lobby, and front walkway. Alarms triggered will give the guards +2 to the first round of combat.
    • The loading dock, 1 shipment per day of black ore from their arcane portal in the center of the mining sector arrives at the back do k.. The dock door is secured with a dark fire security grid. Dark-fire is capable of melting dragon scale.
  • Three fire golem sentries patrol or stand watch in the main lobby, Alarms triggered will give golems the greater smite ability and a +2 on the first round of combat.
  • The dimensional portal at the end of the lobby that takes you to the lower level that requires an access stone that only specific employees carry.
  • The lower levels are a maze filled with identical red doors designed to confound and confuse. Alarms triggered prior to gaining access to the correct red door will make your task in this section an additional -4, 1 extra card draw for complications, as further security measures are engaged.
  • The right red door, opens up to a 50ft open air chasm filled with vibro sword sharp cob webs, and across the way is an impenetrable red vault, made by the TW Diamond Clad. It is a dimensional vault, capable of holding vast amounts of information and retrievable by entering the correct combination on the doors dials. Entering the vault presumably will let you access the stored information ( such as the nefarious dealings of the Arcane Company and current location of the members of Black Company) as well as the stolen credits.
The Set up, please read
Either in the OCC chat here: Planning chat or in google hangouts make your plans.

These are the 8 strengths or scenes (outlined in the papers occ post) that need to be overcame in order to gain access to the arcane company. Note a failure is not necessarily a failure ( Just things did not go according to plan). +1 benny to any player willing to roll on the crit failure table below because failure is just freaking interesting ( This would not mean you crit failed just had an additional complication)! The way we will resolve these situations is similar to how we do quick combat or the last dramatic task. Chose a single skill or trait and roll it at -2 to try and accomplish the objective of making one of the strengths more of either a weakness or something easily overcome. Based on the roll narrate the kind of success we see. Feel free to make up locations like coffee shops, strip clubs, bars, etc, that serve your narrative of what you are trying to accomplish. Also feel free to make up the names of the NPCs (like guards) you interact with.

The Mechanics: Make a trait or Skill roll at -2
  • Crit Failure: Roll a 1d4 and make the following appropriate rolls, failure on those rolls deduct -2 run bennies or another group penalty
    • 1- Loose Lips, you let something slip. Make a streetwise roll at -4 to cover your ass. Failure: -2 run bennies
    • 2- Made: Make an agility or Driving Roll at -2 to get clear before you are identified. Failure gives the entire group -2 to stealth/streetwise during the prep and encounter.
    • 3- Honey Pot: Its a Trap! Make a spirit roll at -2 to leave with some dignity in tact. Failure adds -2 to your charisma during the set up, and encounter. -1 Run Benny
    • 4- Curb Stomped: You took a helluva beatin'! Make a vigor roll at -2, failure leaves you with -2 to your trait rolls until you make a natural healing roll. You get 1 roll right before the start of the run. -1 run benny
      Note: Special thanks to the folks of the Savage worlds GM hangouts for putting this together.
  • Failure: if we stop there for action ( A club draw) they get two cards (double the chance) and the players are either at an additional -2 to the situation, or the badguys are at a +2 for the first round of combat. Note: This also occurs on a rolled crit-failure! If you want to gain the extra benny for rolling on the crit-failure table, the scene does not also gain the results of a failure. +0 Run bennies
  • Success: +1 run benny
  • Every Raise: +1 run benny
  • I know a guy and contacts(if applicable): this can be used or rolled and depending on how helpful the contact is can add +2 to +4
What are Run Bennies? See the Run Benny OCC below!

Final Thoughts:
  • Their are 8 strengths, and we have 8 players so everyone can take one to solve and have a moment to shine.
    It should be noted, that deciding to stay outside for the entire duration of the mission will leave you without much to do once the group has entered the building. Should their lives be on the line you will be able to do very little to save them. This task is designed for the group to figure out how to gain entry, and get to the red vault together.

The Scene Modifier is at a -2 to your roll.
    It would have been a -4, but you really impressed Vector and he got you the info you needed.

In some cases alarms triggering will make the scene more difficult.
Run Benny
What can you do with a run benny? Run bennies are accessible to all players as a common pool and are designed to give help to the players during a heist or "Job". Run bennies also come with a catch: Every run benny spent adds a benny to the GMs pool of bennys.
The uses are as follows:
  • Exploits: When the GM fails a trait test, players may spend a run benny and roll a 1d4 on the below table. Players may spend additional run bennies for another 1d4 roll result, but have to choose only 1 result to play for the scene. Players will also provide the narrative for the exploit result chosen. Each player gains a +d6 to the relevant trait or damage roll for the scene!
    • 1- Distraction: Someone causes a scene, unexpected summons or delivery, old rivals meet, etc...
    • 2- Dumb Luck: An unlocked door, poorly installed security alarm, sudden power surge, etc...
    • 3- Discernment: Detect a trap, spot a forgery, detect and ambush
    • 4- Destiny: Secrets revealed create a reversal of fortune, etc...
  • Flashbacks: Player may spend a run benny to explain why a failure is a success. Player provides Narrative in form of a flash back, like " oh yeah yesterday I met the two gaurds and paid them off... Heres how it went down...". If for some reason the GM does not approve the narrative player receives +2 normal bennies and keeps the run benny!
  • GM Complication: When the GM draws the joker in combat, the players may spend a run benny to force the gm to trade cards! This traded joker counts as a natural joker for the jokers wild setting!
  • Runners luck, You can spend a run benny to do the following:
    • Reroll a crit failure at -2
    • Add the benefits of a joker to any card drawn ( No jokers wild)
    • Force GM to reroll and keep worst of results
Special thanks to the Savage Worlds GM hangouts for putting this concept together for their Cyber Runner setting
Want extra bennies
+1 benny for anyone who shares during their dramatic setup post a story about the fabled red vault and or its creator the techno wizard Diamond Clad.
As stated before +1 benny for anyone who rolls on the crit-failure complication table ( this does not count as an auto-crit-failure, you still roll normally for what you want to occomplish but you get an extra complication to narrate and roll against.
So what is next after we post our set up scenes
a little heads up for how the heist, or job, or milk run will work. I draw a card for each of the 8 strengths or scenes, if they come up club, we stop, I post a bit of narrative and you guys resolve the scene however makes sense. So failures and crit-failures on your Set-up roll give a particular scene more draws increasing the likely hood of a club being drawn. Not all complications will result in combat. Once we get through the red vault we will have one final scene for the "Milk run".

Post your reaction to Vector and Vick, your setup action, and over course any vague innuendos of the prior evenings frivolities are all welcome! Have fun, and please pm or hit me up on hangouts for any further explanation of what is going on.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Libertas Magicum
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Re: Gloom Part 2: Wrecked and a Robbery

Post by Libertas Magicum »

As Vector lays out the situation, Libertas blinks behind his goggles, then laughs out loud. "Wait, the Red Vault was made by Diamond Clad? Well, that's a stroke of luck.... I can get us in. See, I, uh, knew his daughter, Crystal. We were apprentices together, back in Stormspire. She told me a bit about her father's work..." No need to go into the details there....

Crystal Clad was, of course, the star of the workshop--her family name carried a LOT of weight in TW circles, and she was almost as gifted as her father. The key word being 'almost'--she didn't quite have the edge the old man did. Still, she was better than ninety percent of the other apprentices.

Libertas was never part of the ninety percent. His innate talent for Techno-Wizardry made him stand out among the others, and more than once he pulled off some small feat that made it clear the others were going to be outclassed. Crystal and he thus developed something of an antagonistic relationship--her name and good looks meant she was favored by almost everyone, except the masters at the shop, who favored young Libertas' work. He resented her wealth and connections; she resented the way the craft came to him so easily.

At the same time, they had to respect one another's skills, and Libertas knew that he needed to be at least civil to someone as powerful as the daughter of Diamond Clad.

Things came to a head a bit before their graduation to Journeyman status. A series of assignments led to them one-upping each other. As usual, Lib's technical skill was more suited to dealing with the jobs, but her political acumen meant she got more praise for her own successes (and really, her skill was quite high by this point). Still, rivalries like this have a way of accelerating, and both of them began efforts along a less honorable line--espionage and sabotage. Nothing major--no one was going to get hurt because of the occasional loose bolt or cracked glass. Just enough to keep the other one off-balance.

After one particularly humiliating incident involving a machine that was SUPPOSED to create an eternal flame, but instead spewed custard all over the lab, Libertas had enough. He waited until he knew Crystal would be out of the building for the night (she was fond of a particular band that played at the Soaring Griffin), and then exercised his rudimentary breaking-and-entering skills to slip into her room (most of the apprentices shared common quarters, but her father had paid for a private space in the shop--one of the many small advantages that fed Lib's own resentment).

His original plan is lost even to his own memory--probably something childish along the lines of tweaking her plans for the invisibility cloak so that it only affected inanimate matter. But as he was rifling through her room, he came across not her latest plans, but rather, a book bearing her family crest. Opening it, he found that it was a journal, of sorts--not hers, but her father's. The notes were coded, but the cipher was easy enough to crack for him, as it was based on obscure TW principles.

Of course, he didn't have time to read it thoroughly that night, but now that he knew about it... He made a point of NOT disturbing her work--he didn't want her to know he'd been in there at all. Instead, he began sneaking in, regularly (sometimes when she was out, then later by using a simple Somnobulant Sonic Frequency Generator to keep her asleep while he came in late at night). Among the key things he learned was that old man Diamond Clad was in the habit of leaving a backdoor into his creations--just in case a client failed to come up with the goods.

Rather than have to keep the details on each creation in his memory, or risking using a common means of doing so (which would have put all of his works at risk), he would 'key' the actual creation with a code, left on the site embedded in the security itself. In order to crack the code....

"... I'll need to cut a viewing crystal before we go in--the dimensions will have to be precise. Once I'm in, I can use the crystal to view the cobwebs; it will show which ones we can bypass, and also the sequence that opens the vault--it won't be the regular combination at all, instead it will have remained in the locking mechanisms even if they actually took the recommended safety precautions about changing the codes every once in awhile."

With that, he gets to work, sketching out the exact dimensions of the crystal he'll need, and designing the cutting tools, before going shopping (presumably on Vector's budget) to get a stone clear enough to use for the viewing.
OOC Comments
Techno-Wizardry [dice]0[/dice]
Wild TW [dice]1[/dice]
Benny Extra Effort [dice]2[/dice]

12 = 2 Raises = +2 Run Bennies to the pool

+2 from Edges, -2 from Scene Difficulty.
Libertas Magicorum
OOC Comments
Presci Techno-Wizard (Appears Human)
Active effects: none
Parry: 6; Pace: 8/d6; Toughness: 13 (6) [Triax Mechanic]
Charisma: 0 (-1 if Kleptomania known; +2 if Comm Band is active)
Edges: Danger Sense, Quick, Level-Headed, Dodge, Imp. Rapid Recharge, Arcane Marksman, Linguist
Additional Edges: Brawny (Helskor); Thief (Cloak); Assassin (Cloak)
Hindrances: Bad Eyes (Glasses), Hard of Hearing, Overconfident, Minor Greedy, Minor Habit: Klepto, Stubborn, Vulnerability: Silver, Enemy: Major (Zee Hail)
Gizmos: Healing, Boost/Lower Trait, Fly, Summon Ally, Pummel, Quickness
Gear Powers: Invisibility, Fear, Puppet, Greater Healing, Greater Armor (lasers/electric only); Intangibility
Arcane Machinist Remaining: 6/6
  • Active Arc. Mach. Devices (Remaining PPE):
PPE: 30/30 + 10 (Staff)
Bennies: 2/2

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Seize the Day - The character acts as if he had drawn a Joker this combat round.
    Lucky Break - Play this card to completely negate the damage from one attack.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Epiphany - Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
Firehawk
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Firehawk »

Notice 5
Notice: [dice]6[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]7[/dice]
wreckage at the radio station wrote: Similar fire bomb markings to what you saw at the children's hospital score the front doors to the warehouse.
Firehawk is drawn to the damage caused by the fire. He runs his hands over the charred scars to better understand the way the fire moved as it burned, where it started, where it ended. He takes the scent into his nostrils and uses it to remind him of the damage to the children's hospital from earlier, and to stoke his burning desire for justice and retribution. His mood darkens and his eyes briefly shimmer like the air over a lava bed.
Just like the hospital. A hospital for children! These fiends need to be scoured from the earth!
Vector wrote:Vector looks about as bad as his office, his face is bruised, and beaten. His knuckles look awfully bloody, and his breathing is raspy and shallow. His shirt and pants are torn, and stained with blood, his or someone elses perhaps.
"Gods man!" Firehawk declares in his stentorian baritone voice. "You look like death warmed over! Let me see if I can help." Firehawk concentrates briefly to psychically gird himself for the task and then attends to the man's wounds as he listens stoically to the injured man give everyone a run-down of the situation.
Boost healing 5
Greater Boost trait: Healing (-4PP)
Psionics: [dice]2[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]3[/dice]
Healing 7
Healing: [dice]5[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]4[/dice]
Vector wrote:" I am not going to lie to you, the AC they are good..."
At this warning, Firehawk simply snorts in derision and grins darkly.
Vector wrote:" Here... Everything Giest and I have on the Arcane Company... They are behind this... Save the orphanage..............Giest will also pay you 100,000 credits each as a sign of our appreciation, but time is not our friend, it should take them 4 days to scrub the credits clean, and then they will be lost."
"Nonsense. I will take only 20,000 credits after we mop these bastards up. I would take even less but, as you can tell by my clearly visible and sharply defined abs, I need to replace my torn shirt from the concert last night. Also, I apparently ran up a HUGE catering bill as well...they should really tell you the catering is not free by the time you go back for fifths," he grumbles to himself.
"But I digress. The other 80,000 credits will go to the orphanages here in Gloom," Firehawk announces.
He then turns his head slightly so he can look Markus directly in the eye and states,"It's the...humane thing to do, wouldn't you agree, Markus?" clearly challenging him to do the same.

-------------------------------------------
As Vector rasps out the rest of his story, Firehawk helps him pick up the scattered documents when a diagram of the facility's exterior on one of the papers snags his attention.....

Code: Select all

>>The sniper nest on the top of the building, it uses semi-permanent invisibility spell to keep the occupant hidden from view
"I can reconnoiter this tower from a safe distance tomorrow around noon. There should be...gaps, inconsistencies in the invisibility field. I'm small enough that as long as I stay in the sun directly overhead I will have as much time as I need to eventually locate these gaps. With a little a luck, I may even witness a bird fly through the field itself and thus be able to judge its exact dimensions by estimating the distance in which the bird was invisible.

Once I have a good enough feel for the dimensions of this invisibility field, I can do nightly practice dives off the radio tower until I have it down. The trick is to dive at high speed and open your wings at the last moment in order to take the prey unaware and secure the area without alerting anyone else. The nighttime conditions, the speed of the dive itself, and a little white smoke along with one or two other psionic tricks to help me blend into the clouds overhead will all conspire to keep me hidden from the enemy...until it is too late."
Psionics 8
Psionics: [dice]0[/dice]
WILD dye: [dice]1[/dice]
Last edited by Firehawk on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
FIREHAWK
FIREHAWK
-Burster-
1 wound - burned feet
Charisma: 0 (-4 w/ CS); Pace: 4(d4 running), Flying: 6(12); Parry: 5; Toughness: 6
Four Arms: One additional non-movement action with no MAP
Improved Flame Bolt: 6d6 damage (12/24/48)
Low Light Vision: Lyn-Srial ignore penalties for Dim and Dark lighting
Mentalist: +2 on any opposed Psionics roll, attacking or defending
-Once per round as an action can give an ally an immediate attempt to break out of illusion / puppet / mind walk at +2
-Impervious to all plasma, fire and heat damage; Electricity, lightning and lasers do half damage
-Roll a d10 (instead of the usual d6) when causing damage with fire:
  • Highly flammable targets ignite on a 3 –10
  • Anything flammable catches fire on a 6 –10
  • Things that normally don’t catch fire (metal, ceramics, stone) ignite from a Burster’s flames on a 10, or at least begin to melt
  • Water super-heats and evaporates nigh-instantly on a 10 as well, and boils away over 2d6 rounds on an 8 or 9.

CP-30 Laser Pulse Pistol shots: 30/30
ISP: 0/30
Powers Active

Fiery Aura: 6 MDC Armor, +3d6 to melee damage and damage shield

Adventure card: Turncoat : Your hero somehow convinces or bribes a minor foe to perform a small favor—such as helping the hero escape, revealing the location of the “boss,” etc.
BENNIES: 2/3
Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Maximilian »

Max shakes his head at the sight of Vick and Vector. "These mercs...just when you think they can't get any lower, they go and rob an orphanage. So help me, I'll empty every gun Nadine has on these fleabags!" He bends town to offer some first aid to the wounded fellow.
Healing
Healing
[dice]0[/dice]

Wild die healing
[dice]1[/dice]
Listening to the setup, Max nods. "You know, it's funny. I think I saw an old buddy of mine in the crowd. Wasn't sure it was him, but knowing what kind of business goes on in this town, it makes sense that he'd be here. If there's a door people don't want opened, it's a good bet "Pick" Slater already has the key. Let me see if I can track him down."
Max spends some time wandering around town, checking the hotel and anything that even remotely resembles a bar.
Streetwise
Streetwise
[dice]2[/dice]

Wild die Streetwise
[dice]3[/dice]

Ace wild die plus prior result
[dice]4[/dice]
With a little luck and bugs in the right ears, Max finds himself in the bar. He feels a tap on his right shoulder. Grinning, he turns to his left and looks down. "Pick, you giant of a man! How's the weather down there? Nobody falls for that trick anymore."

The short fellow with slicked back hair gives Max a wink. "Never know til ya try. How are ya, Max?"

"Bartender! Biggest beer ya got! No, that's too big. Something smaller. We don't need to crush the guy. I'm good, Pick. Settle a bet for me." Max drags Pick back to a corner table and sits him down. "No booster seat. Hey, I need to get in front of a door."

Pick interrupts him, mid thought, with a weaselly smile. "Ha! Red one? It'll cost ya. Still runnin' 'round wid dat Titan? Might need her finesse comin' up."

Max squints and sniffs. "The way I remember it, Pick, I think you owed me for that smash and grab you pulled last year. Almost cost me Nadine. You're supposed to warn people about deadfalls."

Pick leans back. "Yeah, but dis wasn't easy to come by, an' yer s'posed ta look afore ya leap...eh, I guess it won't matter much. Just gettin' ya down dere ain't gonna get ya chrough da door. Way I hears it, only gets worse after dat. Yeah, fine, I gotcha. But dis makes us square, yeah? Maybe you an' dat beauty look me up fer a little side work sometime. But not here. Crazy stuff goin' down soon. Don't like it. Figgers you's involved."

Max smiles. "Pick, one of these days when you grow up, you'll be a fine upstanding man. Are you standing up? Shave my hackles, you're short! HA! Next round's on me too, bud. Keep your head down. I'll get with you soon to pick up the stone."

The two nod and separate.
Persuasion
Persuasion, -2 unskilled, -2 scene
[dice]5[/dice]

Ace persuasion
[dice]7[/dice]

Benny extra effort persuasion with Elan and prior result
[dice]8[/dice]

Wild die persuasion
[dice]6[/dice]
The next day, Max heads out just before noon, walking briskly to the appointed meeting spot. Max arrives in an alley behind a garage to find Pick battered and bloodied, sitting up against a trash heap. "PICK!" Max rushes over to his injured friend and takes a look. Realizing the injuries aren't life-threatening, he continues. "Who beats up someone half their size! Who did this? What grade is he in?!"
"Very funny, Max, you mutt. Dunno. Big guy. Took da stone. Sorry. Sucka punched me. I'da taken 'im down if 'e'da swung at my face." Pick is clearly wounded more in pride for having not delivered on his end of the exchange.
Max brushes his hand down Pick's face, mocking at closing the eyes of a dead man. "There there, you dandy little runt. Sleep now. Let Max take care of it since you don't run strapped, you moron."
Pick spits some blood at Max's feet. "Get yer paws offa me. You'll give me fleas. Go get 'im, boy."
Max stands up, smiles at Pick, and departs with a last quip. "I'll make sure the trash drone comes to pick you up with all your worldly belongings, Garbage Prince."

Hustling down the alley, there's no easy sign of the mugger to be found. Taking a deep breath, Max focuses on the scent that lingered around Pick's wounds. The thief didn't wear gloves when he cracked Pick across the jaw. For all of his diminutive size, Pick had an iron jaw. The mugger cracked his hand open on one of Pick's teeth. Blood. Arcane blood.
"Got ya, punk." Max chases the smell at a full sprint. The attacker, strangely enough, isn't making any moves to head towards crowds. Max just has to beat him to the destination. Fortunately, the would-be thief lets his pace slack, feeling certain that no one had followed him. A mistake. Maximilian doesn't give up the chase.
Fighting
Fighting to ambush the mage/thief, +2 for raise
[dice]9[/dice]

Wild die Fighting
[dice]10[/dice]
Leaping from a small side alley, Max dives onto the thief, tackling him mercilessly to the ground. Before the thief, a gruesome green-skinned humanoid, can begin an arcane gesture, Max levels an elbow right across the goblin's temple, knocking him out cold. "That's what you get for beating up on someone half your size...ah, Pick isn't here. It's no fun. Gimme that, you worm." Reaching into the thief's pocket, he finds a strange red stone, flat colored but with a very slight glow. This has gotta be it. Jackpot! Dismounting the unconscious villain, Max loots the rest of the body looking for a sign of affiliation or assignment. The creature carries no credits, identification, or weapons. There's not so much as a bit of lint in the pockets. Satisfied with his successful fetch, Max returns to the trash heap to find Pick is no longer resting there. It looks, though, like he left a note, scrawled on the wall in an oily fluid, certainly acquired from the trash. It reads:
GOOD BOY
Last edited by Maximilian on Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Maximilian
Maximilian character sheet
Alex - Allied Extra character sheet
Bennies: 5 (+1 omission from debrief, +1 roommate interlude, -1 EE search for wand, +1 no armor, -1 soak, -1 EE resist fear, -1 EE shooting, +1 showering, +1 RP lunch area, +1 intercepted radio, -1 reroll Piloting, +1 Mikey Danger)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 7
Toughness: 22 (9) (Enchanted Berserker Plate Armor, Tough Breed)
Pace: 6/8 in armor
Edges: Robot Armor Jock, Ace, Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Quick, Level Headed, Improved Level Headed, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Elan, Battle Hardened
Weapon in hand: none
Weapon in holster: Vibroswords (2)
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
  • Range: 18/36/72
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
    ROF 2, Payload 24, Semi auto, 3RB
2 spare e-clips
Standard out-of-robot gear from NG-S2: flashlight, compass, radio, first aid kit, fire starter, wooden cross, 1 flare, 30 feet rope
Adventure Cards
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly "clicks." You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
    Boom! Head Shot: You may ignore any Called Shot penalties on your next ranged attack.
    Rally: Play to cause all allies in sight/hearing to immediately lose their Shaken status.
Titan TR-001 Combat Robot
Size: 8
Crew: 1+2
Toughness: 44 (22)
Pace: 10
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
    • Range: 100/200/400
      Damage: 3d10+4, AP 14
      ROF 3, shots 60
    Medium Missile Launchers (2)
    • Range: 200/400/800
      Damage: 8d6, AP 15, MBT
      ROF 1, shots 4
    Mini Missile Launchers (2)
    • Range: 100/200/400
      Damage: 5d6, AP 6, SBT
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
    • Range: 150/300/600
      Damage: 3d10, AP 10
      ROF 1
    Dino Bladder Water Cannon
    • Range: cone
      Damage: 3d10
      5 bursts
    Good Night
    • Melee damage: Str + 2d10 MD Plasma
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 2d6 plasma & heat (vigor -2 or suffer level of fatigue
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
      Payload: 10 shots unless hooked to permanent power supply
      ROF: 3
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

Notice 7 Success
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge 27 5 Raises
[dice]2[/dice]
Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Ace [dice]7[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Jude glanced over at Libertas and raised an eyebrow. “You know Crystal Clad?” he asked. “Wow. Small world.” Jude smiled as he drifted off into memory.

Stormspire
A few years ago

Stormspire wasn’t exactly the kind of place Jude had ever imagined himself being. Growing up in Chi-Town, being indoctrinated in the anti-magic rhetoric of the Prosek Youth and his training in the page corps still made him jump almost every time someone with techno-goggles whizzed by on a wingboard. It was enough to make Jude want to clothesline one of the reckless idiots.

But Jude couldn’t deny the flashy, gaudy appeal of the place. Chi-Town was a fairly high technology place to live, and Jude could see magical analogues here, but most of Chi-Town was fairly drab and dreary, enclosed in the massive fortress of the city. Stormspire was open to the sky, with high buildings brightly lit by colorful magic lights, blinking and flashing. It was almost enough to give one a seizure.

And Jude was loving it!

Jude didn’t have a lick of magic in him, though, so it made some things inconvenient. But he was picking up a few things here and there, doing odd jobs to get by. A lot of work was menial. Because of his lack of magic, he found he was distinctly unqualified for many of the jobs in the city.

But that was a concern for another night, because tonight he had managed to score some tickets in a card game to the Steampunk Zombies show at a club called the Soaring Griffon. He put on his best clothes and headed out for a night of music, dancing, drinking, flirting, and maybe a bit of grifting, gambling, picking pockets, and petty larceny.

Jude was leaning against the bar and sipping on the club’s namesake drink. He wasn’t exactly sure what was in a Soaring Griffon. Rum, he thought. Pineapple and coconut. It was blue-white like the clouds in the sky, but the bartender and poured in a packet of some kind of glittering powder that sparkled in the drink like stars. It must be pretty strong, because he already was feeling a bit light-headed after one drink.

Jude glanced up at the stage where the Steampunk Zombies were playing their first set. It was interesting music that he didn’t hear in Chi-Town -- well, at least if you were a good little Chi-Town boy like Jude had been. The female lead Nikki Mendeleyev was hot, in her Victorian corset. she had a set of translucent blue telekinetic wings flaring out from her shoulders as she sang, occasionally soaring above the stage at particularly dramatic moments. Obviously a psychic, which made Jude a little wary.

“Excuse me,” came a female voice at Jude’s elbow.

“Oh, sorry, love. I’m taking up space like a rock, aren’t I?” Jude apologized, turning toward the voice. He paused, lifting an eyebrow as he saw the gorgeous young woman.

“Please, let me buy you a drink.”

The woman flashed him a beautiful smile. “Sure. I’ll have what you’re having.” She nodded to the Soaring Griffon in his hand.

Jude motioned to the bartender, who started to whip up the drink, and turned back to the woman.

“I’m Jude,” he said, offering his hand. “Jude Maverick.” When she took his hand, he brought hers up to his lips and gave the back of her hand a kiss. “And you are simply enchanting.”

The woman laughed. “Does that line actually ever work?”

“More often than you would think!” Jude laughed with her. She had a nice laugh. She had gone with the band theme tonight, like many of the patrons of the Griffon, wearing a tattered black velvet corset dress that pushed up her modest cleavage to more generous proportions. Her skin had been powdered a pale, pale white, and dark eyeliner rimmed her pale blue eyes. Her lips were painted a blood red crimson, in stark contrast to her pale white skin. She had even added stitching marks to make it look like she was a stitched together zombie in Victorian dress.

“Well, it is early yet. I’m Crystal,” she introduced. “Crystal Clad.”

“Nice to meet you, Crystal. I must say, this is quite the amazing place.” Jude looked around, too much like a wide-eyed tourist for his own liking, probably.

“First time in Stormspire?” Crystal asked, taking her Soaring Griffon from the bartender and taking a sip. She immediately smiled as the effects hit her.

“Nearly the first time anywhere,” Jude admitted with a chuckle. “Sorry. I don’t mean to come off touristy. It’s just...I feel out of my depth around all this magic,” he admitted. “Must be nice to have magic.”

Crystal chuckled. “Sometimes. It isn’t always all it’s cracked up to be.”

Jude arched an eyebrow.

Crystal waved off his silent inquiry. “I don’t really want to talk about workplace politics,” she said. “Speaking of magic, though, you’re well on your way yourself.” She nodded to Jude’s drink.

“What!” Jude nearly dropped his glass, but managed to set it down on the bar, eying it suspiciously.

Crystal laughed at him. “Nothing dangerous, or permanent,” she assured him. She pointed out to the dance floor. Jude had noticed earlier that the dance floor was rather sparsely populated, but that was because many of those dancing were actually...in the air!

“The pixie dust in the Soaring Griffon interacts with a magical flight field emanating from the dance floor. It allows non-flyers to be able to experience dance flight.”

“Okay. That is...kind of cool.” Jude picked up his drink, still eying it.

“It isn’t permanent. It will work out of your system with the alcohol,” Crystal reassured him with a chuckle.

Jude smiled. “Well then, bottoms up!” He tossed back the rest of the drink. “Now will you honor me with my first dance flight?”

Crystal smiled coyly and downed her own drink. “I was wondering when you would get around to asking me,” she said, taking his hand and pulling him out to the floor. “Just give a little jump.”

With a light step, Crystal was up in the air, releasing Jude’s hand.

“Whoa!” Jude gasped as he felt his feet leave the ground. He flailed his arms and legs a little, trying to figure out which way was up. Above him, Crystal laughed and pirouetted expertly. Jude had to smile as he got a look at her very Victorian bloomers beneath her petticoats.

“Think which way you want to be up,” Crystal explained. “The magic will take care of the rest. It’s all a matter of willpower.”

“Right...easy for you to say,” Jude quipped. The experience was rather frightening for one raised to fear magic, but that was quickly fading with the pulse of the music and the lightheaded sensation of drunkenness from the alcohol and pixie dust. Jude soon figured it out though, and clumsily soared into Crystal’s arms. “At least I can’t step on your feet,” he said with a smile. “But I can’t impress you with my sweet dance moves.”

Crystal smiled coyly. “So let me teach you a few sweet moves of my own,” she said, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him to her for a kiss as the spun around in the air.

Jude rolled away from Crystal’s pale form in the bed and went to her chiller to get them some water. Crystal smiled and rolled over to watch the naked young man cross her room and took the water, grateful to rehydrate after their recent bout of lovemaking. As he settled back on the bed, he set his water down on the side table, knocking a red leather bound book to the floor.

Jude picked it up and eyed the strange scratchings on the open page. “What’s this, Crys?” he asked, turning to his lover of the last few months.

Crystal frowned. “Nothing,” she muttered, snatching the book away.

“What is that? Some kind of code? It’s all gibberish.”

“Not gibberish. Techno-Cant. And it’s encrypted,” Crystal said. “My father’s latest project.”

“Oh,” Jude said. “Still upset about that scolding he gave you about your latest marks?” he asked, laying back down beside her and delicately caressing her bare skin. “He does know that being second in class is still really good, right?” He kissed along her shoulder.

Crystal rolled her eyes. “For Diamond Clad, second is just another name for loser,” she muttered. “Fates damn him! Do you know how hard it is being his daughter?”

Jude smiled indulgently. “You barely speak of anything else.”

Crystal gave him a cross look and Jude winced. “Sorry. I know it frustrates you.” He leaned in and kissed her deeply. “I wish I could help. But all I can do is take your mind off it.”

She sighed and pushed him down, her long platinum hair falling over her naked breasts as she straddled him. “Maybe you’re the reason my marks are slipping, Jude Maverick,” she said mischievously as she leaned down, running her breasts along his chest to kiss him hotly.

Later that night, Jude stirred a bit in his sleep. Something felt...off. His neck prickled with the sensation of being...watched. Jude struggled against sleep, trying to come out of it. His eyes fluttered open and he saw a dark figure standing over them.

Jude tensed, a thrill of fear and protectiveness surging through him. He felt Crystal’s warm body pressed against him, her slender arm around his waist as they spooned. The figure turned, flipping through something. A book? His eyes went to the nightstand. No book. What--?

Sleep claimed Jude again. He wasn’t sure how long, but when he fought back from the blackness the figure was still there. It stood over the bed again. The book was back on the nightstand. Then the figure moved away to the door, detaching something from the frame before closing it behind him.

Jude felt the unnatural sleepiness lift from him as he surged from the bed with a soft exclamation. Fucking magic! He tugged on a pair of shorts and grabbed up some weird techno-wizardry device. He had no idea what it did, but it looked heavy enough to club someone on the head. He yanked the door open and looked down the darkened hallway.

The figure at the end of the hall was bathed in dim light from emergency lighting. It looked at him with a start, but its face was obscured by the glint of goggles and the hoodie. Jude thought he saw a shock of red hair before the figure darted away.

Jude chased it down the hall, but it had vanished outside by the time Jude reached the door of the shop. Jude frowned, considering what to do as he walked back to Crystal’s room.

“What’s wrong, Jude?” Crystal asked, sitting up wearily in bed and blinking at him groggily as he put down the device. “What were you doing with that?” she asked, a bit shocked, and wide awake now. “What have I told you about touching things around here?”

Jude looked sheepish as Crystal picked up the device and brushed her platinum hair from her face as she studied it for damage. “Don’t,” he said apologetically.

“Exactly! Don’t! This could have been very bad! Do you know what this is?”

Jude gave Crystal a look that asked if she really thought he had any clue.

Crystal gave a huff of air from her jutted lip to blow a lock of platinum hair from her face. “This is an arcane destabilizer. You could have turned this workshop into a dead magic zone!”

Jude frowned. “Maybe you shouldn’t leave things like that lying around…”

Crystal gave him a cool look, andJude held up his hands. “Look, there was someone in here, some guy. I think he was stalking you, Crys. It scared me.” He sat down on the edge of the bed and took the arcane destabilizer from her, putting it -- very carefully -- on the side table as he slipped his arms around Crystal. “I was afraid he was here to hurt you.”

Crystal gave a small gasp and held onto Jude. “Did you see who it was?”

“Not really,” Jude admitted. “I was so tired. I think he used some kind of magic device to keep us sleeping. All I saw was a hoodie and some weird goggles. That could describe half the people in this city!” Jude gave Crystal a reassuring squeeze. “Maybe he had red hair? I think…”

Crystal stiffened and frowned. “That son of a brodkil,” she muttered. “Libertas…”

“Who?” Jude asked.

“Guy at work,” Crystal said, shaking her head. “So that’s how he keeps outdoing me at work!”

“I really think you should stay at my place for a few nights, to be safe,” Jude said.

Crystal gave him a look. “Your place is a hole in the wall. Literally. I’m not giving up my penthouse!”

Jude sighed. He couldn’t blame her. “Then I’ll look into some extra security.”

“Don’t worry about it. I can handle Libertas.”

“You do realize that’s kind of creepy, right, Goggles?” Jude asked Libertas.

Jude sat in his booth at Stumpy’s Diner, nursing yet another cup of hot black sludge that passed for coffee. The food was decent, the coffee exceedingly strong, but the best part was it had a view of the building housing the Red Vault. Not that anyone in Stumpy’s knew that, of course.

Jude or someone from the 13th had been scouting the place for the last few days as they worked out a plan on how they were going to bypass all the security Vector had detailed for them. It was some impressive intel, but it did little to actually form a plan for them. Jude was having trouble figuring out how he could help out. It didn’t sound like a place he could talk his way into, and starting a fire fight didn’t have much appeal.

Jude was feeling unusually helpless and off his game. Maybe it was the nightmares. He kept seeing Brittany, the hole he had put in her head. Some nights it wasn’t Britt, but Nikky, his sister. Those were the worst.

Jude sipped more of the coffee. That, at least, helped. The stuff was turbo-loaded with caffeine, and he needed it after the sleepless nights. He rubbed his eyes and smiled up at the waitress as she brought him another cup.

“Thanks, love,” Jude said before turning his gaze back out the front window and the guards on the sidewalk outside the door across the street. He saw sunlight flash on white and straightened in his seat, blinking. Now he was seeing things?

Jude slipped out of the booth and hurried outside. He caught up with the beautiful woman in the long trenchcoat and spun her around. A familiar face looked up in surprise at his as she pushed platinum blonde hair out of her pale blue eyes.

“Jude?

“Crystal!”

Crystal laughed. “Wow. Jude. It’s been...a long time,” she said, hugging him. “What are you doing in this back end of nowhere?”

“I could ask you the same thing,” Jude said with a smile. “I was just passing through.”

“I’m here on a regular inspection of one of my father’s projects,” Crystal said with a shrug.

“You’re still working for him?” Jude asked. “I would have thought you’d have set up shop on your own.”

She frowned. “Turns out it’s harder to get out from under a shadow than you would think.”

Jude gave her a sympathetic look. “Care for a cuppa?” Jude asked, gesturing to the diner.

Crystal eyed Stumpy’s. “Not there,” she said. “But how about your place?”

Jude’s eyes lit up a moment, but then he paused. He was supposed to be on Vault watch until this evening. But...if she was here about one of her father’s projects, that had to be the Vault, right? Maybe he could pump her for some more information.

And really, they had a lot of catching up to do.

“Sure,” Jude said. “I’m at the Pinnacle.”

At the hotel, Crystal tossed off her coat, revealing the tight black dress she wore. Jude ran his eyes along her frame.

“I think you might have gotten even more beautiful, Crystal,” he said with a smile.

Crystal grinned. “Flatterer,” she scolded lightly. “Drink?” She went over to the mini bar.

“Sure,” Jude said.

“How about a Soaring Griffon, for old time’s sake?”

Jude laughed. “There’s no magical flight field here,” he pointed out.

“That doesn’t stop the nice high, though,” Crystal chuckled.

“Sure, then. Hit me up.”

Jude moved around the room, tidying up a bit. He turned back to watch Crystal pour the pixie dust into the drink. He thought he remembered the glowing lights in the drink to be golden, but these were more blue. But it was years ago.

Crystal handed Jude the drink. “Bottoms up.”

“You forgot your pixie dust.” Jude pointed to the glass.

“I only had the one packet,” she admitted. “Sorry.”

Jude shrugged and clinked her glass. He sipped it and smiled at her, fondly remembering old times.

Crystal apparently was, as well. She stepped up and slipped her arm around his neck to pull him down into a hot kiss.

Jude groaned as his head pounded him awake. What in the seventeen hells had just happened? HIs mouth felt dry and cottony, and a stampede of rhino buffalo was in his brain. This wasn’t a hangover.

“You...drugged me…” Jude blinked blearily, wincing against the light as he looked around the room. Crystal wore nothing but one of his shirts, half unbuttoned and barely came down low enough for modesty. Jude found he was naked himself.

“Well, at least you made it worth it…” Jude quipped. He looked up. His wrists were secured to the bedposts with fuzzy pink handcuffs. “You used my own cuffs?” Jude complained. “That’s low, Crys.”

“Sorry, Jude,” Crystal said, upending his pack onto the floor. She kicked through his items, scattering the first aid kit and survival kit under the bed. Then she dug through the gear webbing on his armor.

“What are you looking for?” Jude asked.

“You don’t think I’m completely stupid, do you, Jude?” Crystal said coolly. He knew that icy tone of hers when she got mad.

“Obviously not, if you’re the most accomplished techno-wizard on the planet.” Jude paused. “Well, second. Really, third, ‘cause didn’t that Libertas guy beat you out?”

Crystal spun around, glowering at Jude. “Yes. Libertas,” she said coldly. “Funny thing. I really am here on father’s business. And what should I see but you and Libertas Magicum palling around town. The same man who came sneaking around looking at my father’s journal, with my boyfriend at the time, who I bet gave him access to my rooms, and when I almost caught him claimed to be ‘rescuing me’!” she said with air quotes.

Jude winced. “Yes, that...could look bad.”

Crystal glowered. “So I squared the root of four and got two. The two of you have been planning this heist for years, I bet!”

Jude shook his head. “No, it isn’t like that, Crys…”

She wasn’t listening anymore. She was knocking on the walls, listening for hidden panels. Jude pulled against his cuffs. Very secure. He tried wriggling his wrist around. No, that would likely require breaking his thumb. He wasn’t quite sure he wanted to do that.

“What are you looking for, Crys?” Jude repeated.

“Whatever you’re planning. Once I find it, I’ll check in with the Arcane Company and tell them all about it. They aren’t very...kind to industrial espionage,” she commented. “Aha!” Her knuckles wrapped on a hollow space. With a little investigation she found a safe.

“What’s the combination, Jude?”

Jude shrugged, still working his hands around. “I didn’t even know that was there,” he answered honestly.

“Right…” Crystal opened her bag that she had set on a chair by the door and pulled out a few devices. Jude watched as she quickly cobbled something together and put it against the safe. He heard the whine of the computer lock and then the tumblers popped, swinging open the safe.

It was empty.

“Told you, Crystal.”

Crystal turned to Jude with a frustrated look. Her lip jutted out in that cute way she had when she was stymied by a problem.

“So what is the plan, Jude?” she asked, putting her hands on her hips, looking sexy and intimidating all at the same time.

Jude smiled. “The plan, my darling, is I am going to get out of these cuffs. Then we are going to make love again. And then you will help me and Libertas break into the Red Vault.”

Crystal stared at him. “You are completely out of your mind, Jude Maverick!” she said in exasperation.

Jude just smiled.

“What!” Crystal demanded, coming over to the bed. She couldn’t help run her eyes over his nakedness.

“Your first mistake was using my own cuffs,” Jude said lightly. “I’ve been in this position before, so I had them modified.” He wriggled his fingers around and flipped the hidden catch on the cuffs that released them.

Crystal gasped and tried to back away as Jude leapt at her, but she tripped over the gear scattered over the floor. Jude grabbed her before she could fall and threw her onto the bed, leaping atop her and pinning her. With a brief struggle, his weight pressed her to the bed, his hands gripping her wrists above her head, stretching her out beneath him. Jude tried to ignore just how her soft curves felt against him as his shirt rode up her naked body.

“Now you are going to listen, Crystal Clad, because I know you are fundamentally a good person, if a little selfish.”

“Selfish!” Crystal protested. “Jude Maverick! Let me go!” She struggled against him. “I’ll scream!”

As she opened her mouth, Jude kissed her. Crystal froze, but soon he felt her responding, and he broke the kiss with a smile.

“You are a bastard.”

“I’ve been called worse,” Jude admitted. He took his cuffs and cuffed her to the bed in the same position she’d left him in. Gods above, she looked so sexy! It would take her a while to find the hidden catch, and he didn’t need to keep her long.

Jude pulled on some shorts and lay down beside Crystal on the bed, his head resting on her lap, like old times when he would distract her while she studied.

“This Arcane Company is terrorizing this town with some group called the OTO. They have burned down buildings, including an orphanage. When the mayor tried to raise some money for a new orphanage by holding a benefit concert, they burned down the radio station and stole the gate money. That money is in the Red Vault, as well as whatever nefarious plans they have. We intend to return it to those kids.”

Crystal frowned, looking down at the handsome man. “How do I know you’re telling the truth? I’ve seen you work that golden tongue before, Jude Maverick.”

“Oh, yes, you know how good my tongue is…”

Crystal blushed. “Stop it! You know what I mean! Tell the authorities.”

“The authorities seem helpless to stop them,” Jude said. “We -- they, those poor kids -- need your help, Crystal.”

“I can’t, Jude,” Crystal said. “My dad…”

Jude grinned. “Don’t you see, Crys? There’s the icing on the cake. Imagine what everyone will think when the glorious Diamond Clad’s inviolate vaults gets broken into? You might finally be able to set up your own shop, maybe take over from him.”

Crystal’s mouth opened to protest, but she paused. “Well...dad has been resting on his laurels lately,” she admitted. “And I have been doing all the work -- he puts his name on it.” She growled a bit in frustration.

“I bet he still berates you for any mess up, and blames you when something goes wrong?”

“Yes…” Another growl that would do Max proud.

“So why such loyalty to the old man? What’s he ever done but hold you back? You could be famous in your own right. Even more famous that Libertas…”

Crystal’s blue eyes flashed a bit of cold fire at his name. “Finally he’ll realize I’m as good as him, or better.”

Jude chuckled. He was definitely sensing some good, old-fashioned rivalry attraction there.

“So how can you help us?”

Crystal sighed. “Most of the security features are going to be controlled directly by the AC. Guards, cameras, the dark fire grid. It’s all pretty mundane, even if magical. No, it’s the actual vault itself and getting to it that is the ingenious part.”

Jude nodded. “Tracks with what we know so far. We’re stymied by the red doors, how to pick the right one.”

Crystal grinned. “Ah, I can definitely help with that.” She started to rattle off some techno-babble and Jude put a finger to her full lips.

“You’re forgetting the most important step in the plan.”

“What’s that?”

“Making love again. This time I want to remember.”

Crystal grinned. “Oh, I’ll make sure you remember.”

“I’m not undoing the cuffs.”

“Great!” Crystal said, leaning forward and capturing Jude’s lips.

Jude knocked on the door to Libertas’ room.

“Hey, Goggles. You got a moment? I need some help with something way more in your line of expertise.”

Jude led the techno-wizard back to his room and opened the door. On the bed was a sexily disheveled Crystal Clad, dressed only in one of Jude’s open shirts, sheets and shirt hastily arranged to preserve at least some modesty.

“She’s willing to help us out,” Jude told Libertas. Then he leaned in closer to whisper, “And really, I think she has a crush on you. You should go for it!”

Conditions:

I am taking the +1 Benny for the Crit Fail options. I'm not rolling, but I'm choosing Option 3: Honeypot
Spirit 4 Success
[dice]5[/dice]
[dice]6[/dice]
Persuasion 12 2 Raises
[dice]8[/dice]
[dice]9[/dice]
+8 Charisma
+1 Renown
-2 Scene
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Libertas Magicum
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Libertas Magicum »

Libertas goes comically fish-mouthed as he sees his one-time nemesis on the bed behind Jude. Then he looks between them, blinking. "Waitaminute! That was you, back in Stormspire? For all the...." He finally just gives in and laughs, then looks to Crystal. "You're really going to help us with this? Okay, that'd be fantastic."

Things are naturally a bit cool between he and Crystal for a bit, though as they get down to the project at hand, it turns into a more collegial air, as they set aside past differences to start tossing equations and such around. He finally nods.

"Okay, yeah, the doors would've been a major pain. Using phase-tech and keying them to the time you enter the corridor was a stroke of brilliance, by the way. It could've completely queered the whole job if you hadn't helped us." She looks a little smug at that praise, and nods.

"Unfortunately," she adds, "I don't have my father's key-crystal for the vault..." She stops as Lib, a bit smug himself, holds up his facsimilie crystal. She takes it, looks through it from a few different angles, then sets it down. "It's... perfect." She sets it down, tilting her head as she looks at him. "How...." Then her eyes narrow. "So you WERE sneaking into my room back in Stormspire, you little sneak-thief! Is that how you beat me, using my father's designs?"

Libertas retorts back. "No, Princess," obviously using a nickname that rankles her deliberately, "I did not. Yes, I stole ideas from the journals, but I never used any of them while we were both apprentices. I was a thief, but not an idiot--if I'd used one equation from that book, I would've been caught in no time. Everything I did there, I did on my own--unlike SOME people, who stuck to walking the safe road in their father's footsteps!" Just as Jude thinks he might have to intervene to keep Crystal from feeding Libertas his own goggles, he looks down at the plans they've laid out, and continues. "Of course, you're not doing that anymore, are you? These door designs may draw upon some of his principles, but even beyond the cunning applications, you've put in a lot of innovations there, way beyond anything your father did. If you'd been putting out stuff like this back in the shop, Master Almeric would never have passed you over for the top slot."

The unexpected, mid-fight praise takes the heat out of her temper, and as the conversation continues, the two of them actually part on decent terms. No, counter to Jude's attempts at wingmanning, they don't end up in a passionate clench, but there's definitely the basis of an actual friendship there, going forward.
Libertas Magicorum
OOC Comments
Presci Techno-Wizard (Appears Human)
Active effects: none
Parry: 6; Pace: 8/d6; Toughness: 13 (6) [Triax Mechanic]
Charisma: 0 (-1 if Kleptomania known; +2 if Comm Band is active)
Edges: Danger Sense, Quick, Level-Headed, Dodge, Imp. Rapid Recharge, Arcane Marksman, Linguist
Additional Edges: Brawny (Helskor); Thief (Cloak); Assassin (Cloak)
Hindrances: Bad Eyes (Glasses), Hard of Hearing, Overconfident, Minor Greedy, Minor Habit: Klepto, Stubborn, Vulnerability: Silver, Enemy: Major (Zee Hail)
Gizmos: Healing, Boost/Lower Trait, Fly, Summon Ally, Pummel, Quickness
Gear Powers: Invisibility, Fear, Puppet, Greater Healing, Greater Armor (lasers/electric only); Intangibility
Arcane Machinist Remaining: 6/6
  • Active Arc. Mach. Devices (Remaining PPE):
PPE: 30/30 + 10 (Staff)
Bennies: 2/2

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Seize the Day - The character acts as if he had drawn a Joker this combat round.
    Lucky Break - Play this card to completely negate the damage from one attack.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Epiphany - Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
Markus Berger

Post by Markus Berger »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Vick, stands back for a moment looking at you all quizzically, " Das was goot playing!" His voice is thick with a german accent. He grips his country man Markus holding up his NGR markings on his armor, " You did us proud brother." He smiles at the rest of the 13th, " I caught some of your music on my way here... Drie Marbles Left, is all you see before you. We were delayed..." He grabs his missing arm, " Roving pack of murder Wraiths outside of Stormspire... I..." He shudders and smiles weakly trying to bury the memory, " I never thought joy could touch my heart... But your music..." His voice trails off and he places his hand on his heart.
Vick steps back and sits on the floor on some papers. His face is ashen and eyes are wide.
Markus kneels before Vick and tries to help him while taking to him in German.
"Thank you, brother. It is good to get compliments from somebody from the NGR. I am glad I made the NGR proud. But ease of. Breathe. Get better. We will take care of those American criminals."
Firehawk wrote:"But I digress. The other 80,000 credits will go to the orphanages here in Gloom," Firehawk announces.
He then turns his head slightly so he can look Markus directly in the eye and states,"It's the...humane thing to do, wouldn't you agree, Markus?" clearly challenging him to do the same.
Markus seems uneasy at Firehawk's comment and takes a second trying to get a good response to the DBee. He shakes his head lightly, and answer without looking at him.
"Yes, it is. I, of course, will do the same."
He fails to come with a good response and has to respect Firehawk's offer.
I know a guy Edge:
OOC Comments
Roll to contact: 11 (Success and rise)
Streetwise Roll: [dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die: [dice]1[/dice]
Streetwise Roll Ace: [dice]2[/dice]
Roll to persuade:
Persuade Roll: [dice]3[/dice]
Wild Die: [dice]4[/dice]
Benny to Reroll. (+2 Elan cancels scene -2)
Persuade Roll: [dice]5[/dice]
Wild Die Roll: [dice]6[/dice]
Forget the benny use, and the second roll, he is unable to persuade his contacts.
Markus locates the owner of the mercenary company tasked with guarding the door, but he is unable to persuade them to side with them.
America!
He goes to the ground level. The grunt level. He tries to convince the 3 guards in the shift they are going to "visit" the target for getting them pass undisturbed, after they are "surprised" and tied up, so they can tell their bosses they did try to stop us. They will get a chastise by their boss but will be alive and richer for it.
OOC Comments
Persuation: 4 - 2 = 2 (Fail)
Roll: [dice]7[/dice]
Wild Die: [dice]8[/dice]
Benny to reroll, +2 Elan negates the penalty.
Persuation: 4 (Success)
Roll: [dice]9[/dice]
Wild Die: [dice]10[/dice]
Last edited by Markus Berger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Markus "Mark" Berger
Veteran M.A.R.S. Cybernetic Techno-Warrior
Agility d10, Smarts d8, Spirit d8, Strength d6 (d12+2 w/Armor), Vigor d6
Charisma: 0; Pace: 6 (+2 w/Armor); Parry: 5; Toughness: 14 (7); Strain 12/12
Notice d8+2 (+2 Sight and Hearing based), Languages (Euro, American, Dragonese/Elven, and more) d12+2, Knowledge (Common) -2, Stealth d8
Hindrances (Major) Clueless: -2 to Common Knowledge, (Minor) Quirk: Does not socialize or trust non-humans, Cautious: Never makes rash decisions and likes to plot things out in detail
Adventure Deck Cards:
Love Interest: Play on a nonplayer character to encourage a romantic interest for your hero. The target helps to the best of her abilities, but may frequently cause trouble as well.
Sudden Death: Your hero must do or say something that gives his foes pause. All foes within 12” lose their next action.
Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Bennies: 2
Wounds: 0
Armor: Triax T-11 Enhanced: +7 Armor and +2 Toughness, as well as providing Full Environmental Protection
Bane

Post by Bane »

When Vick mentioned that the red vault was designed by Diamond Clad himself, it takes Bane back about two years to the first time he met him.

Bane walked into the Dweomer Defense Force’s Investigative Division as a newly minted sergeant. As he walked in, his face beamed with pride and joy of having gotten this far. He knocks on office door for his new captain, Malcolm Reynolds. Captain Reynolds tells him to come in and he introduces himself to the captain, reporting for his first day of duty.

The captain tells him ”I have been thinking of whom to pair you up with and initially I was going to partner you with Cortez, but after meeting you and assessing you in person, I think that you would be better off partnered with Gryphon. He’s working a case down in the Docks District. I’ll email you his file so you know what he looks like, as well as have dispatch let him know to keep an eye out for you”

Bane reads the file for his partner, Liutenent Pelecus Gryphon, an Wolfen Mystic with dark fur and darker eyes. Upon arriving in the Docks District, Bane realized that his job of finding his parter was going to be a lot harder than he thought it was going to be, which was hard to begin with. The file mentioned he was meeting with a informant who had information on a thefts and smuggling ring that was active in the area.

So Bane headed to the location of the most recent theft, Voz Techno-Wizardry, because it was the only lead he had on his partner. After speaking to the owner, Bane learned that the owner was upset that they were hit even though they were faithfully paying insurance to the Black Market to be left alone. The owner ranted about him and the others forming their own version of a neighborhood watch against them. He had informed Bane that all of the victems were paying protection money to the Black Market.

Walking out the back, Bane notices a couple of blocks over in the allyway some sort of deal going on between a human male in his late 30’s with dark hair slicked back flanked by two full combat ‘borg bodyguards and a Wolfen with dark fur. Bane cast a spell to enhance his ability to move unnoticed and cautiously advanced to get a better look at what was going on.

”Shit’s getting bad out here, Gryph. If people start thinking that paying protection money to the Black Market is useless, they’ll stop paying. What do you got for me to work with?” the mysterious man asked,

”I do, Diamond. Does the name Barry Elliot mean anything to you?” Gryphon asked Diamond.

”That two timng son of a bitch! He is low level thug who had been trying to rise in the rainks of the organization who decided to help himself it would seem. But he’s no criminal mastermind, nor does he have the funding to have pulled thish off. So the new question is, who is he working for?” Diamond said.

”I don’t know, but that sounds like the perfect job for my new partner who is watching us from the barrels over there to do. Don’t be shy, Sergeant Malon. Come on over and join the discussion.” Gryphon finished loudly talking to Bane.

At a loss of what to do, he fully stands up as he cautiously approaches the pair having a conversation. ”How did you know that I was there, sir?” Bane inquires.

”Quite simple, really. I’m a mystic, so I foresaw you being partnered with me, that you would try to pick up my trail by looking into the investigation I was conducting, and so I arranged for this meeting to take place where you could see it when you left the shop. I did this because I had no phone on which to contact you with.” Gryphon said, rather smugly.

”Your a real piece, you know that Gryph? Just get this mess taken care of, I don’t care how, but it needs to make us look good when all is said and done.” Diamond said in a disgusted tone before walking off with the two bodyguards who at first impression appeared to have been ‘borgs, but up closer they were something else.

Lt. Grypon turns to Bane and tells him ”That person I was just speaking to is Diamond Clad of the Immaterial Hand. Now what do you know about them?”

”The Immaterial Hand are one of the major families of the Black Market, often relying on magic for their operations. They are vile scoundrels who give decent mages a bad name.” Bane said with a hard edge to his voice, displeased with the situation.

”No they don’t. They certainly don’t give magic users a GOOD name, but they are not the ones who give mages a bad name. They are certainly no saints, but better the devil you know, rather than the demon you don’t. Their activities in the city are normally rather tame and mild, at least compared to the stories about them. Elsewhere in the Federation, as well as in places such as the CS where the laws are stricter, there they thrive more because they are in more demand. But no organization can become as powerful as they without making a few enemies it would seem. Are you prepared to do some undercover work, sergeant?”

Bane knocked on the door to the club where Barry Elliot worked during the daytime. A short dwarf, even by dwarven standards, opened the door. ”What do you want, copper?” he asked with a deep, gruff voice.

”I have an arrest warrant for Barry Elliot.” Bane began to say before the dwarf bolted toward the back, but Bane had already anticipated such an event and enhanced his fighting prowess before knocking, so he had tripped the dwarf as he turned. Magic restraints in hand, he handcuffed Barry and proceeded to perform an on the spot interrogation, and after several hours had found out that his new employers were an organization called the Arcane Company, who Bane infiltrated disguised as Barry found out that they were searching for items of power to conduct some sort of dark ritual. They had also set up an operation down in a city named Gloom to do something so despicable that the Black Market wouldn’t even consider doing it, harvesting the souls of children, especially homeless and sick ones.

After Bane finishes telling the rest of the group how he first met Diamond Clad, he throws a light jacket on and says to Cantrell ”I got to go pound some pavement. I’ll check in later.” With that, Bane walks out the hotel, casting Disguise on himself in the elevator when he’s alone, remembering the Barry Elliot’s form and looks. Then he sets out to get a meeting with Diamond Clad, alone.
Spellcasting 7
[dice]0[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]
Streetwise 14
[dice]2[/dice] Ace!
Streetwise Ace [dice]4[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]3[/dice]

Bane has no trouble finding a Black Market Courier to deliver a coded message to meet him at a local cafe called Stumpy’s, corner of the bar, 8 pm tonight. Bane sat two seats down from the corner of the bar, sipping some of the worst coffee he’d ever drank, which was impressive in itself as he had drank Master Elrond’s coffee for years before telling him it was terrible, wondering if Diamond would actually show up. The weather was dreary, as it always was in Gloom, but it seemed more so tonight as the rain drizzled lightly against the windows. At about ten minutes past eight, Bane was contemplating leaving when the door jingled. He suppressed the urge to turn his head to look, but did dare to glance down the bar as someone sat at the corner seat, a familiar voice saying ”Give me some room guys, I’d like to eat alone right now.”

”Some terrible coffee, huh?” Bane said quietly to break the ice.

”Last I had heard, you were dead.” Diamond had quietly countered.

”Is it safe to talk, then?” Bane inquired as he grimaced from taking another sip of his coffee.

”Safe enough. I built a limited effect sound neutralizer that suppresses low sounds around me, so even with their cyber-hearing, so long as we keep it quiet. So to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” Diamond said.

”I thought you hated the Arcane Company? What changed?” Bane had asked.

”Nothing has changed, except for leverage. I am a Techno-Wizard, through and through, and as such I have a love of precious gems and metals; but they had learned that I valued one above all else, Crystal, my daughter. Bane rolled his head from side to side as one would do to work tension out of their shoulders, taking the opportunity to discreetly observe the two bodyguards that followed Diamond in and Bane realized then that they were not there to protect Diamond, but to keep him in line.

”Exactly how did they threaten her?” Bane asked wanting to know.

”They captured her soul in a soul jar. She isn’t even aware that it happened. They told me that if I didn’t comply and join them, they were going to hand her over to some ancient master vampire named Soledad or some such.” Diamond said, using every ounce of his willpower to not show any trace amounts of the mental pain he was experiencing talking about this.

Bane chuckled for a split second but immediately covered it up as a cough then said ”Well, Soledad won’t be a problem anyone. I destroyed him a little over a week ago, just outside a place called Silver Bluff.” A wave of relief almost washes over Diamond at that realization, but he keeps that bottled up as well. Knowing that the Arcane Company still had his daughter’s soul helped him reel that emotion back in. Bane continued, asking ”I’m guessing that they don’t keep her soul in the Red Vault, so do you have any idea where they are holding it?”

”Due to the dimensional properties of the soul jar, they would have to keep it on the same plane of existence that Crystal was on, not to mention that they have to keep it close to her so she doesn’t begin to feel the effects of soul loss, I would have to say that it’s definitely in Gloom, probably inside our office building where the access to the Red Vault is. Chances are good that it’s going to be in Viggo Rochek’s office, the AC’s regional manager here, overseeing the mining operations, inside a top of the line conventional safe in the middle of a magic null zone except for that one spot where the safe is.” Diamond said, working it out loud. ”I assume that you have some other agenda here?”

”Have you heard about the fire bombings around town? Each one betting tagged with spray paint by OTO, claiming their deeds, but they are not the ones driving the bus, but merely the bus itself. The ones behind the steering wheel are none other than the Arcane Company. They have had long term operations set up here collecting the souls of lost and abandoned children, or those who are suffering, if not both. The benefit concert held last two nights ago was actually the group I was in in disguise. The money we raised that night was stolen and placed into the Red Vault. Additionally, there are members of the mercenary unit called the Black Company whose dossiers are in the Red Vault. They are every bit as bad as the Arcane Company and my group and I have been tasked with either capturing them so they may stand trial or kill them if they resist. In order to get these things, I need to analyze the arcane signatures used to access the office buildings where the Red Vault is. For you assistance, I will recover your daughter’s soul jar and help the two of you relocate to Castle Refuge. You’ll be under no restriction to stay there after we get you there, but we can get you both set up with new identities, of either of you so choose. It will mean a fresh start, for the both of you, a break from the Arcane Company. Do you agree?” Bane finally asks. As Diamond listened, he found it harder and harder to control the impassive mask that was his face, so he did the only thing that could hide his emotions, take a sip of the horrible coffee which caused him to grimace.

”Damn them! Do you have any information on what they are using the souls for? Either way, I will help you, but when you absolutely have to get her soul jar before leaving. If you don’t, I will report you, despite what that would mean for me!” Diamond replied, downing the rest of his coffee before motioning to his “bodyguards” that he was ready to leave. The next morning, as Bane was running some errands out in Gloom, he feels someone bump into him while a hand put something in his pocket. Later at the hotel, it proves to be the arcane formula used to generate the random arcane signature that syncs up with the building.

Persuasion 16
[dice]5[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]6[/dice] Ace!
Wild Die Ace [dice]7[/dice]
-1 Bennie Extra Effort [dice]8[/dice] Ace!
Extra Effort Ace [dice]9[/dice]
Last edited by Bane on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 12 times in total.
OOC Comments
Bane

Armor: Ley Line Walker Light Armor (3 Armor, +4 to Vigor rolls vs. airborne toxins/diseases)
Toughness: 8 (3)
Weapon: TK Revolver (Range 12/24/48, Damage 2d6+2, RoF 1, AP 4, Shots 6, Wt. 4, Notes: Revolver, can "fan the hammer". (Rapid Attack)
PPE: 12/20
Bennies: 1

Alts: Logan Wright, CS Fightin' Joes
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

Notice #
[dice]0[/dice]
[dice]1[/dice]
Common Knowledge #
[dice]2[/dice]
[dice]3[/dice]

Jude watched the pair of techno-mages with a smile as they got down to work, spouting off gobbledy-gook that he only understood every couple words. Like “the” and “is”.

Jude busied himself cleaning up his gear from the floor -- making sure to put his precious handcuffs away -- and keeping the geniuses supplied with plenty of coffee. He got himself dressed and picked up a book he had grabbed from a newsstand, the latest Richard Longwood novel, Racing Desire, about a handsome young ranch hand with a fast mechanical horse and a vulnerable, beautiful young widow in need of quick cash to save her ranch.

As the tech-babble session finally breaks up late into the night, Jude rouses himself from a doze in the chair to catch Crystal at the door. If Goggles wasn’t going to man up…

“Stay tonight,” Jude said, catching Crystal’s arm to stop her.

“I’m expected at the Arcane Company,” Crystal said. “I should have been in today.”

“I don’t want you going anywhere near there,” Jude told her.

Crystal frowned. “i can take care of myself, Mr. Mavrick.”

“I didn’t say you couldn’t. But this is going to be dangerous, and I want you clear if things go sideways.”

Crystal sighed. “Fine. But only if you buy me dinner.”

“How about breakfast?” Jude grinned, pulling her close.

“I do love a good breakfast…”

Conditions:
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Cantrell

Post by Cantrell »

Notice 7, CK 4
Notice [dice]0[/dice]+2
Wild Die [dice]1[/dice]+2

Common Knowledge [dice]2[/dice]
Wild Die [dice]3[/dice]
Streetwise 13 for the challenge
Streetwise [dice]4[/dice]+2-2
Ace! [dice]6[/dice] = 13 total, Success and 2 Raises
Wild Die [dice]5[/dice]
Cantrell is distracted as the team returns to the radio station after the gig - she's wearing someone else's underwear, and the silk lacing is catching in her armor and riding something fierce ... sort of like that raven-haired groupie had been riding the one with the phoenix tattoo back in the sound booth ...

Even as one side of her brain replays that scene, the other half is taking in the devastation at the radio station. Working on autopilot, she does a quick sweep of the area as the others talk to Vick and Vector. They seem to have the immediate situation in hand, healing the two men and going through the accumulated intel on the Arcane Company. She hangs back, content to watch the team work, each member working in concert with the next, like a well-oiled machine ... or like a pile of groupies, oiled and writhing together on the floor of the sound booth ...

Cantrell is shaken out of her reverie as someone says her name.

"... and if Markus handles the front-door guards, that just leaves the fire golems for Cantrell. Think you can handle that, boss?

Cantrell nods, still processing. "Fire golems, sure, got it."

-------------------

Two days later, she's nursing a cup of coffee at Stumpy's, the run-down diner Jude had recommended. It was a dump, and the coffee tasted like the black sludge left over after a dumpster fire.

He'll put anything in his mouth, she thinks, shuddering. But the thought of all the communicable diseases Maverick might have picked up in his travels couldn't distract her from the problem burning a hole in her brain.

"I don't even know what a fire golem is," she says, head down as she stares at the thick layer of grounds at the bottom of the cup.

"Well, first of all, it's a go-lem, not a goll-um," a voice says as a hand reaches over with a steaming pot to refill her cup.

She looks up to see the diner's proprietor, an old man with wild hair and a beard that reaches nearly to his waist. He sets the pot down and crosses his arms, leaning over the bar.

"I take it you're not a child of Israel?" he says, pulling down the collar of his shirt to show the six-pointed star tattooed over his heart. When she looks back, not understanding, he shrugs. "A goyim, then. Well, I guess I can tell you the story."

"The golem - that's go, not gall - has been around for ages, a tool created by some of the oldest rabbi - wise men - with mixed results. They tend to be a double-edged sword, the golem, created for protection but sometimes harming their creators in unexpected ways. They were giant clay men in the old days, but I've heard of them being made of other things. Whatever it is, you carve it into the shape of a man, or thereabouts, but that's just the husk. To get it moving, to animate it, you've got to add the shem, one of the names of God, and carve it on the forehead or scribe it on a piece of paper you put in the mouth. That's what gets it moving - and you change that word, or erase it, and it crumbles into dust."

The old man shrugs and pulls out a stained dishrag that he uses to start wiping down the counter. "That's the story, anyway. But what do I know? I'm just a wandering old Jew. Name's Benjamin, by the way. Least that's what Leibowitz called me. Now drink up, coffee'll put hair on your chest."

-------------------

After a little asking around, Cantrell finds the place she was looking for. Just an old warehouse, like the others in this run-down section of Gloom. Inside, if her source was correct, is a small fortune in Techno-Wizard weaponry from the Colorado Baronies, the property of some merchants group called the Red River Combine. It doesn't matter. She's not interested in the loot inside, but what's outside keeping an eye on it.

As she watches, the guardian comes stomping around the corner, the black facets of its "skin" reflecting the neon light from the brothel sign over her shoulder. This golem is carved from obsidian, not made of clay like in the story, or of fire like the one's guarding the red vault. But it bears some basic similarities -- and if she is correct, at least one that was very specific.

Drawing her pistol with her right hand, she throws the heavy bottle at the guardian with her left. It shatters, glass on glass, sloshing the liquid contents all over the obsidian automaton. Exposed to air, the liquid ignites with a whoosh a second later.

"Well come on then, you worthless lump of rock," she says, taunting the creature as it turns toward her. With a roar, it charges, the wide mouth opening to reveal a cavernous maw filled with darkness - and the glowing letters of the shem carved into a stone at the back of its mouth.

One shot from her pistol erases half of the letters. It's enough. A rain of obsidian shards clatters off her armor as the golem collapses in front of her.

The only question now is whether she'll be able to shoot that well with a couple of humanoid bonfires bearing down on her.

Probably, she thinks. If worse comes to worst, I can use Jude as a shield. It wouldn't be the first time he's felt a burning sensation.
Nadya Cantrell
Tribe of One#5119
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 2/3 +2 bonus
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note:
  • Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.)
  • Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out)
  • Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table)
  • Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting)
  • Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes)
  • Dodge (-2 to be hit at range)
  • Elan (+2 on rerolls)
  • Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout)
  • Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative)
  • Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)

PPE: 10/15
Current Effects: GBT (Athletics) +1d and free reroll, BT (Stealth) +1d; Doubled Pace and ignore Running penalty
Wounds:
Fatigue:
Blackfish
Daniel (Lars)

Post by Blackfish »

Rolls Boost Trait 9 and Kn Battle 11
Psi Boost Trait d8, [dice]0[/dice], bennie to re-roll, retry [dice]1[/dice], Wild die I forgot [dice]3[/dice], the re-roll for wild die lol [dice]4[/dice], Ace WD [dice]5[/dice] = a 9 for Psi at cost of a bennie. Now roll kn: battle with raise, [dice]2[/dice] & WD [dice]6[/dice] = 13 Kn: battle -2 thou = 11.
Objective
Second floor security room has at least 10 special force guards, with remote viewing sensors of the loading dock, main lobby, and front walkway. Alarms triggered will give the guards +2 to the first round of combat.
----> The loading dock, 1 shipment per day of black ore from their arcane portal in the center of the mining sector arrives at the back door. The dock door is secured with a dark fire security grid. Dark-fire is capable of melting dragon scale.
The Basic Plan
  1. To bypass the guards on main level and to enter via Loading Zone on Second Floor.
  2. To take out the 10 guards there.
  3. To get Arcane Stones to grant us access to other areas.

Zieja Kashbrook
  • The Red Vault is spoken about in awe, just like our CS Black Vault. When I first heard of the Red Vault I dismissed it as stupid Mercenaries making up stories, much like I dismissed talk of a Black Vault in Chi Town. The Black Vault is famous for being home to the most wicked magic items and demonic items that the CS wants locked up and to never be seen again by human or inhuman eyes. The Red Vault is famous for being a magical vault that can keep anyone out, created by insane masterful techno wizards in Stormspire.

I used to think both vaults were just nonsense. That was before Sector 357 under Lone Star. While making one of my required visits to “uncle” Bradford the two of us were walking down a hallway chatting. I learned much later that Dr. Bradford’s little chats were just part of his experiment, the one that I was. Bastard. As we had been walking that day, we passed Sector 357 when an alarm sounded. Thankfully I was armed. So was Bradford and the dozen Rapid Response Commandos that arrived to fight off the demon that was trying to kill everything it came across. I still recall that sign we ran past, DVG. Dimensional Vortex Generator. The crazy things the CS were doing at Lone Star, like creating genetic Commandos and opening tears in reality with machines…I believe in both Vaults now.

Well, especially now that I was being asked to infiltrate the Red Vault with the 13th SET. Victor Inlay had informed us that there was a Loading Bay entry point to the Second Floor of the AC building. There were supposed to be no less than 10 Special Forces trained security Guards in that room watching with high tech sensors the Loading Bay. These SF were charged with watching the Loading Bay and had a “Dark Fire” security grid security system capable of melting the scales off a dragon. Joy. One shipment a day entered the Loading Bay, we needed to be in that shipment. We also needed 10 SF guys to be somehow unable to sound the alarm when we rolled out of the dark ore being delivered. Even better once we got into the unsecured, no alarm sounding, loading bay if the 10 SF guards were to hand over their Arcane Stones that were used as access keys for moving around the AC building that would be fantastic. Maybe we just needed to go in as the delivery was leaving.

Listening to the dying, or near death, badly beaten Victor Inlay made my stomach turn. The 13th had Rocked it! We had made a fair amount of credits for those kids. For the first time in my 18 years of life I felt like I had made a positive difference for people who deserved it. I also for the first time had a total blast, dressed up…I don’t mean stuffy dressed up for high level rich Officer parties, I mean dressed fun, and getting to shread on a nice bass guitar. It’s funny what a little attention to your hair and clothes does, I am so used to just wearing combat clothes and armor. I heard the others... I wasn't giving up any of the pay being offered like they were. I needed that cash.

After leaving the destroyed radio station I had made my way to a café, some place called Stumpy's I think. The truth is, I wish I could run away and just play music. I do not miss the CS and the Commando training, too much. I think I will be able to accomplish some good as part of the 13th. I had been trained as a Commando to plan and execute battle plans while in OCS. Sipping on an overly sugared coffee I worked over the problem in my mind. Attacking it from several different angles.

One, how to get in. Two how to take out guards. Three secure pass keys. All in the next day or two. Sooner the better. I eased my minds thoughts and relaxed. Focusing on what I knew of warfare and battles I worked on boosting my memories in regard to what I had been trained.

Getting in just meant finding out who and how those who did deliveries. The Arcane Pass Keys would come easily enough after taking out the guards. Access them in the bay or maybe outside somehow.

Idly tearing pieces of cardboard off the coffee cup I laid them out as 10 pieces of paper on the table before me. Glancing down at the pieces of paper I saw one was larger than the others. A thought stuck in my head then. A gross and unpleasant thought. This was just important enough that I might have to bend a little on what I was comfortable with. Sighing I swept the paper off the table, into my hand and dropped the papers into the last remaining inch of now cold coffee at the bottom of the ruined cup. Watching the papers become soggy the last part of my plan solidified.

Standing up I saw a young street rat looking my way. His shirt had a logo of the band I had just impersonated last night on it. I suppose if I had wanted to be left alone I should have not dressed in leathers and torn jeans as I had while playing last night. It was just…fun, non CS military uniforms and stuffy attire. I had an overly tight pair of torn up black pants on, with a good portion of my right ass cheek showing, and a tight black and purple T Shirt with a crazy looking grey rose with fangs on it. I must have stood out some. I had definitely gotten the attention of the young rat and now two of his friends.

Standing up I made sure I let them have a good look at my torn pants bottom as I gathered up my small backpack. Heading out of the café I set a good pace and headed around towards the rear of the building, into a darkened alleyway. Sure enough the three boys followed me. Stopping to tie my right combat boot I gave them a, hopefully, great view of those torn jeans in the rear as I slipped a weapon out of my small pack. That was the problem with these tight clothes, limited hiding places. As the cat calls started I slowly stood up.

Facing away from the three young men I tilted my head to the right and slowly turned around to face them. The closest of the three was quick to get his hands up in the air as I pressed the barrel tip of the CP-30 energy pistol under his chin.

His eyes wide open in freight I saw he was likely in his mid 20’s, older than I originally had thought. His two friends were slower on the uptake and nearly plowed us all over on accident.

”Hold on Tasha! I was just going to ask you for an autograph honey. You are Tasha Wicked right?”

Placing my sweetest smile on, I knew looking like her would be a good idea. If people thought I was Tasha and not Zieja that was fine by me. I knew the CS had to have agents looking for Bradford’s little lost genetics experiment.

”Boys, this is your lucky day. I need some supplies and you look like the guys to get it for me. I can pay and I will defiantly sign some autographs for you.”

After spending a good four hours with Lukas, Timo and Lorn I was ready to use the poison they had helped me get on them. Oh, I knew they were just fan boys who wanted to get into my pants. However there is a limit to how much any girl can take when boys want to show you their toys…look this is my game console, ain’t it awesome…whatever.

It had been the youngest one, Lorn, who in the end had come through for me. He had connections with some Black Market dudes who hooked me up with the poison I had asked for. 2000 credits and …sigh… Lorn groping my right boob later I had the stuff I needed. I seriously thought about beating the crap out of Lorn, however, I think he did actually accidentally grope me while riding behind me on the motorcycle. I was driving kinda wild and I'm sure he pissed himself a few times in some of those corners I took too fast.

Dropping Lorn off at his friend’s crappy little dwelling I took off with the promise that I would return Lorn’s cycle soon. I’m sure the brat went straight inside and bragged about his bold boob touching. Stupid boys. Heh, Lorn was like a year older than me I think. Whatever.

With borrowed cycle, my pack full of neuro-poisons, and dressed like a slut I made my way to the actual destination I wanted to visit today. The rats had had their time with me, now it was time to talk to the big boys. The other thing the Black Market goons had done for me was get me the names of all the security guards that worked in the Loading Zone when we wanted to go in. That had cost me 5000 credits alone. 7k out of pocket now, I was not thrilled, however I knew who was going to be on duty thanks to BM hackers.

Of the 10 SF guys only two were woman. I pulled up in front of a run down and moldy apartment building on my borrowed cycle. After a few minutes I located the door to apartment 313, Maggy Morrison, AC Security. She was rumored to live here with another female. The modified IRRMS kit in my newly acquired purse, with its neuro-poison installed, I made my way over to the door. The IRRMS was originally designed to heal people, this one would dispense a batch of tiny micro nanobots that would not heal the body, but incapacitate it when programmed to do so.

I had picked Maggy first since she seemed like she had a friendly face in the dossier the hacker had provided me. She lived with a female, it was a small chance but I figured why not see... Knocking on the door I tried to not sweat as I waited. The door opened and it was not Maggy. It was a much older woman, her roommate?

”Yes? Can I help you?”

Long story short, Maggy’s mother was her roommate, no romance here, and mom was very upset at her daughter for staying out all night. Apparently Maggy had been at a concert last night, too funny, me too, and had not come home from partying. Sabrina, Maggy’s mom, told me where I likely could find Maggy and her co-workers, who were also her best friends, and were I could find them, at the Miner’s Shaft.

The Miner’s Shaft turned out to be part disco and part bar, catering to AC miners and security personnel. What cost me nearly a grand in booze money, some really uncomfortable dancing with unkind men, and most of my night, netted me being in physical contact with the 10 SF guards who were scheduled to be on duty during our heist. I’d also managed to overhear that the Arcane Access Stones were only kept at work, not taken off site. Once the 10 were incapacitated we could secure them from their unconscious bodies.

Using the modified IRRMS device I eventually got a dance in, and a ton of drinking, with all ten teammates over the night. The IRRMS device infected them all. The awesome thing about the modified IRRMS was the little nanobuggers would not activate, and incapacitate, the inflicted until I pushed a button on the remote.

Ultimately: I now had 10 SF guards infected with a remote controlled neuro-poison that would not kill them, but would subdue them.

I imagined how the last part would go; as the large bay doors of the Loading Bay opened and the now empty cargo vehicles were pulling out to leave I would slip into the bay, using my armor to be Invisible, as the vehicles drove out. Hopefully unnoticed I would look across the bay floor at the large bullet proof window to the SF Guardroom. I would pull out my remote control and push the button. All ten guards would drop to the floor and be unconscious for 8 hours or until given an antidote. I would make my way across the bay floor to the large window and then we could access the security room using the Arcane Access Stone that Maggy would have on her, and she as the lowest ranking that shift, and a newbie on the team, would be outside in the cargo bay area to exchange paperwork with the cargo delivery personnel.

When the delivery team arrives, they exchange paperwork with the SF guards, to do that one guard goes out into the bay to get a signature and exchange paperwork, that would be Maggy, and Maggy would have an access stone on her, and I would have Maggy’s access stone to get into the guardroom.

By the time I had finished investing time in research, finding the Black Market and then the 10 guards, infecting them, I was simply put, haggard. Tired. Done. Dragging my feet down the dirt, cluttered hallway inside the Hotel I made my way to my room. It remotely struck me as odd how clean the rooms were in comparison to the hallway. I felt dead. Pushing my key code against the door lock I fell into my room as the door opened. Crawling into bed I didn't bother changing.

Hopefully this insane plan would work and getting into the AC building via the Loading Bay would go off without a hitch. This has to be the strangest idea I have ever come up with. Its so much easier to just blow things up and shoot people. I'd rather get hit in my head repeatably for an hour than relive this day. I really feel like I over thought this. Next time I would just shoot someone and get a Mage to cast disguise on me. This plan had relied on hackers, street rats, partying guards, and a lot of cred out of my pocket. Thankfully the BM guys had suggested the modified IRRMS kit because I was drawing a blank. It boiled down to me picking the brains of other, smarter people. I didn't like that, but its done. I needed to sooth my thoughts and sleep...

I slipped into sleep only half done mentally undressing Maggy in my mind. Shame she was not into girls.
Accounts

Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Savage Rifts Game Master
    • The Black Company
    • Machinations

Savage Rifts Player Characters
  • Niki NEMA Peacekeeper / Commando
    Adventures Inc. GM - Venatus Vinco
  • Mercer Mercenary Exiled RCSG
    Mercy Six GM - Pender Lumkiss
  • Boon Psychic & Mechanic
    Phaseworld GM - Ndreare