Silver Bluff Combat round 1 tactics discussion

Now stop nagging me.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Silver Bluff Combat round 1 tactics discussion

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Go ahead an discuss any combat tactics or questions about the scene here.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Re: Silver Bluff Combat round 1 tactics discussion

Post by Maximilian »

Between my Ace and Combat Ace edges, and this being robot armor, will the unstable platform penalty still apply? I get that the water is flowing pretty swiftly, but I also want the best shot I can get. Robot armor doesn't normally apply unstable penalties.
Can I direct my railgun to hit the underside occupant of the bridge only, or will I be obliterating the bridge and/or other inhabitants along with it?
Is there enough of a group of vampires and no innocents where I can drop a small or medium template of missiles on these scumbags? Looks like they're grouped just past Markus and Lucretia and eager to eat missiles. I'd like to feed them if I can arrange it. Or did I look wrong and that's still the bridge? Checking...
Assuming I make my spirit roll (it's happening) I'm lighting off two weapons this round. Just weighing my options. Combat Ace will eliminate the multi action penalty for firing 2 weapons.
Unless someone thinks I should NOT fire a bunch of missiles into the town we just approached. Party poopers.
Maximilian
Maximilian character sheet
Alex - Allied Extra character sheet
Bennies: 5 (+1 omission from debrief, +1 roommate interlude, -1 EE search for wand, +1 no armor, -1 soak, -1 EE resist fear, -1 EE shooting, +1 showering, +1 RP lunch area, +1 intercepted radio, -1 reroll Piloting, +1 Mikey Danger)
Wounds / Fatigue: 0 / 0
Parry: 7
Toughness: 22 (9) (Enchanted Berserker Plate Armor, Tough Breed)
Pace: 6/8 in armor
Edges: Robot Armor Jock, Ace, Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Quick, Level Headed, Improved Level Headed, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Elan, Battle Hardened
Weapon in hand: none
Weapon in holster: Vibroswords (2)
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
  • Range: 18/36/72
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
    ROF 2, Payload 24, Semi auto, 3RB
2 spare e-clips
Standard out-of-robot gear from NG-S2: flashlight, compass, radio, first aid kit, fire starter, wooden cross, 1 flare, 30 feet rope
Adventure Cards
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly "clicks." You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
    Boom! Head Shot: You may ignore any Called Shot penalties on your next ranged attack.
    Rally: Play to cause all allies in sight/hearing to immediately lose their Shaken status.
Titan TR-001 Combat Robot
Size: 8
Crew: 1+2
Toughness: 44 (22)
Pace: 10
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
    • Range: 100/200/400
      Damage: 3d10+4, AP 14
      ROF 3, shots 60
    Medium Missile Launchers (2)
    • Range: 200/400/800
      Damage: 8d6, AP 15, MBT
      ROF 1, shots 4
    Mini Missile Launchers (2)
      Damage: 5d6, AP 6, SBT
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
    • Range: 150/300/600
      Damage: 3d10, AP 10
      ROF 1
    Dino Bladder Water Cannon
    • Range: cone
      Damage: 3d10
      5 bursts
    Good Night
    • Melee damage: Str + 2d10 MD Plasma
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 2d6 plasma & heat (vigor -2 or suffer level of fatigue
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
      Payload: 10 shots unless hooked to permanent power supply
      ROF: 3
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maximilian wrote:Between my Ace and Combat Ace edges, and this being robot armor, will the unstable platform penalty still apply? I get that the water is flowing pretty swiftly, but I also want the best shot I can get. Robot armor doesn't normally apply unstable penalties.
Can I direct my railgun to hit the underside occupant of the bridge only, or will I be obliterating the bridge and/or other inhabitants along with it?
Is there enough of a group of vampires and no innocents where I can drop a small or medium template of missiles on these scumbags? Looks like they're grouped just past Markus and Lucretia and eager to eat missiles. I'd like to feed them if I can arrange it. Or did I look wrong and that's still the bridge? Checking...
Assuming I make my spirit roll (it's happening) I'm lighting off two weapons this round. Just weighing my options. Combat Ace will eliminate the multi action penalty for firing 2 weapons.
Unless someone thinks I should NOT fire a bunch of missiles into the town we just approached. Party poopers.
If you are hitting the underside occupant, you would technically get the drop, so +4 to damage and hit with something like a rail gun. Don't forget the rules for innocent bystander which would be the bridge. I looked in the tomorrow legion and core rules it would seem unstable platform can apply to robots as far as I can tell. You are not getting the penalty from being in the armor rather the river is creating the unstable platform.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

I rolled a grapple check to steal the baby (Fighting vs Parry). Is that right, or is it something else? (Opposed strength roll? Not so good...) And I assume against vampires the wooden cross isn't considered unarmed since a touch does 1d10 damage.
Character Tracker
Jude Maverick Character Sheet
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Battle Hardened: +2 Soak
Brave: +2 Fear
Common Bond: Share bennies
Elan: +2 when spending Bennies
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Strong Willed: 2 vs. Tests of Will
Trademark Weapon: +1 Shooting with JA-11
Healing Stone: 15/15 PPE
Armor: 15/15 PPE
Necklace: 9/15 PPE
Nike Airs: Teleport/Teleport Others (K. Electronics roll)
Rifle Ammo: 59 (Spare clips: 2 x 20; 1 x 16; 2 x 30; 2 x 60)
Pistol Ammo: 16 (Spare clips: 2 x 16)
Bennies: 4/7
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Ok, so here's a question:

If by chance I happen to rescue a baby (Which my character will most certainly attempt to do). Can I activate the fire aura without roasting the baby? Would the aura protect it too as long as I was holding it? I mean in theory it seems to me the answer would be yes, because the aura doesn't burn up anything I'm wearing, holding etc at the time, but those are 'gear' and clothes vs a totally separate individual.

Just.. you know. Trying to avoid an accidental cooked baby.
I bring the fire
Bennies: 6
Attributes: Agility: d6, Smarts: d6, Spirit: d6, Strength: d8, Vigor: d6. Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(11); Strain: 0
ISP: 20/20
Theme Songs: I See Fire, Danger! High Voltage, Disco Inferno, Firestarter, Mad at Gravity - Burn
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maximilian wrote:Between my Ace and Combat Ace edges, and this being robot armor, will the unstable platform penalty still apply? I get that the water is flowing pretty swiftly, but I also want the best shot I can get. Robot armor doesn't normally apply unstable penalties.
I see a small burst template as having a 3" ( or 3 square) radius, looking at the map I think you would be hard pressed to get the vamps without hitting Lucretia, Villagers, or Markus' hover bike.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan wrote:Ok, so here's a question:

If by chance I happen to rescue a baby (Which my character will most certainly attempt to do). Can I activate the fire aura without roasting the baby? Would the aura protect it too as long as I was holding it? I mean in theory it seems to me the answer would be yes, because the aura doesn't burn up anything I'm wearing, holding etc at the time, but those are 'gear' and clothes vs a totally separate individual.

Just.. you know. Trying to avoid an accidental cooked baby.
That sounds sweet! The baby is small enough that you can use your control of fire to do it. It would be like taking two actions, so to control the fire so it does not cook the baby it is a -2 to your psionics roll.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Maximilian »

Is the shadow dragon still a mass of shadows or did it solidify? It might be best for me to go on hold until it goes solid. I don't know how a mass of shadows will react to a railgun hit. Does that forfeit my Drop bonus?
Maximilian
Bennies: 5 (+1 omission from debrief, +1 roommate interlude, -1 EE search for wand, +1 no armor, -1 soak, -1 EE resist fear, -1 EE shooting, +1 showering, +1 RP lunch area, +1 intercepted radio, -1 reroll Piloting, +1 Mikey Danger)
Edges: Robot Armor Jock, Ace, Combat Ace, Ambidextrous, Quick, Level Headed, Improved Level Headed, Charismatic, I Know A Guy, Elan, Battle Hardened
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
2 spare e-clips
Standard out-of-robot gear from NG-S2: flashlight, compass, radio, first aid kit, fire starter, wooden cross, 1 flare, 30 feet rope
Adventure Cards
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly "clicks." You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
    Boom! Head Shot: You may ignore any Called Shot penalties on your next ranged attack.
    Rally: Play to cause all allies in sight/hearing to immediately lose their Shaken status.
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
      ROF 3, shots 60
      ROF 1, shots 4
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
      ROF 1
      5 bursts
    Good Night
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Maximilian wrote:Is the shadow dragon still a mass of shadows or did it solidify? It might be best for me to go on hold until it goes solid. I don't know how a mass of shadows will react to a railgun hit. Does that forfeit my Drop bonus?
It is in a semi solid state, it does not have intangability active if that is what you are asking. So phisical attacks can technically affect it. I run drop, like if it has adreniline going, no drop( unless there is a good reason). But no adreniline you have a good shot at getting the drop. Right now the shadow dragon does not have any adreniline pumping. So the drop would apply until that changes.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Jude Maverick wrote:I rolled a grapple check to steal the baby (Fighting vs Parry). Is that right, or is it something else? (Opposed strength roll? Not so good...) And I assume against vampires the wooden cross isn't considered unarmed since a touch does 1d10 damage.
Not exaclty a grapple, but more a disarm which still uses your fighting roll at a -2 for hitting a limb. Using the cross is a great idea. If with the -2 applied, your fighting roll is 4 abbove the vamps parry, you got a raise. So you need to roll damage 1d10 plus a 1d6 for the raise if it is applicable. I get to roll the vamps str if I roll less than damage the baby drops neatly into your arms.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

So an 11 to resist the Puppet before attacking Markus, hooray for exploding wild dice ('cause otherwise it was another 1... enhanced Spirit, you're failing me...)

I don't know what the target number is for it, though.
Lucretia Altara Cyber-Knight (appears human) Alt of Ember
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Armor powered (1 hour), psi-sword, psi-shield, cyber-armor active (indefinite)
Sunlight pendant (30 minutes)
Bennies: 4/3
Parry: 10, -2 to be hit by technological weapons [13 with psi-shield]
Toughness: 15(6), +2 Toughness vs Supernatural evil [19(10) vs ranged with psi-shield]
Pace: 8, run d10
Weapon in hand: Martial Arts (1d6+1d4+2, never unarmed) or Psi-blade (1d6+3d10, AP 8 [4 if split])
Charisma: +2(mods: +2 if respect CK, -4 if recognized as Altara)
Other: Blind-ish: Notice auto fails for color, text, and flat images
Click here to edit your signature
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Lucretia wrote:So an 11 to resist the Puppet before attacking Markus, hooray for exploding wild dice ('cause otherwise it was another 1... enhanced Spirit, you're failing me...)

I don't know what the target number is for it, though.
Target was 9, and you resist just before leaping to strike maximilian in the head. You would have 15 pts of pace left to get back into the action. A vamp is in range or you can even leap for soldad. You definately saw him.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Bane

Post by Bane »

First off, DON'T FIRE THE MISSILES!!! They will have absolutely no effect whatsoever on the vampires (as a side note, Pender, a small burst template is 2" across, or rather has a radius of 1", medium is 4" diameter/2" radius, large is 6" diameter/3" radius).

Kesslan, you can use your fire to hurt the vampires because it's psychic fire. Magic and Psychic attacks will hurt them, but unless it's water, silver, wood, or sunlight, the vampires will heal from the damage. But it will slow them down for a few moments.
OOC Comments
Bane

Armor: Ley Line Walker Light Armor (3 Armor, +4 to Vigor rolls vs. airborne toxins/diseases)
Toughness: 8 (3)
Weapon: TK Revolver (Range 12/24/48, Damage 2d6+2, RoF 1, AP 4, Shots 6, Wt. 4, Notes: Revolver, can "fan the hammer". (Rapid Attack)
PPE: 12/20
Bennies: 1

Alts: Logan Wright, CS Fightin' Joes
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Bane, thanks for that clarification on the radius size I was looking at the back of the corr rules and just trying to estimate it. So yeah a small bursts template can hit a couple vampires
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Maximilian »

Nobody ever wants me to fire off my missiles. But it's just as well. No sense in wasting an attack.
I'll drop my shooting rolls in a little bit. I'll be hitting the shadow dragon with the railgun and the laser. Both attacks at -2 due to unstable platform, multi action penalties waived due to combat Ace.
Maximilian
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
2 spare e-clips
Adventure Cards
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
      ROF 3, shots 60
      ROF 1, shots 4
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
      ROF 1
      5 bursts
    Good Night
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Bane

Post by Bane »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Bane, thanks for that clarification on the radius size I was looking at the back of the corr rules and just trying to estimate it. So yeah a small bursts template can hit a couple vampires
It's tough to estimate, but on the bottom of the second page it also tells you the sizes.

I am currently trying to convince the remaining vampires to attack the "vampire hunter" that is standing and moving where Soledad is...
OOC Comments
Bane

Armor: Ley Line Walker Light Armor (3 Armor, +4 to Vigor rolls vs. airborne toxins/diseases)
Weapon: TK Revolver (Range 12/24/48, Damage 2d6+2, RoF 1, AP 4, Shots 6, Wt. 4, Notes: Revolver, can "fan the hammer". (Rapid Attack)

Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Maximilian »

Pender, if the railgun damage roll successfully smokes the dragon, can I reach a vampire for a grab and dunk? If the dragon isn't down yet, I'll hit him with my laser for my second attack.
Maximilian
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
2 spare e-clips
Adventure Cards
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
      ROF 3, shots 60
      ROF 1, shots 4
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
      ROF 1
      5 bursts
    Good Night
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Libertas Magicum
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Libertas Magicum »

Here's what I used as a guideline for estimating the cone template for the Pummel effect; it also includes the specs on all the bursts:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/peg- ... ations.pdf
Libertas Magicorum
OOC Comments
Presci Techno-Wizard (Appears Human)
Active effects: none
Parry: 6; Pace: 8/d6; Toughness: 13 (6) [Triax Mechanic]
Charisma: 0 (-1 if Kleptomania known; +2 if Comm Band is active)
Edges: Danger Sense, Quick, Level-Headed, Dodge, Imp. Rapid Recharge, Arcane Marksman, Linguist
Additional Edges: Brawny (Helskor); Thief (Cloak); Assassin (Cloak)
Hindrances: Bad Eyes (Glasses), Hard of Hearing, Overconfident, Minor Greedy, Minor Habit: Klepto, Stubborn, Vulnerability: Silver, Enemy: Major (Zee Hail)
Gizmos: Healing, Boost/Lower Trait, Fly, Summon Ally, Pummel, Quickness
Gear Powers: Invisibility, Fear, Puppet, Greater Healing, Greater Armor (lasers/electric only); Intangibility
Arcane Machinist Remaining: 6/6
  • Active Arc. Mach. Devices (Remaining PPE):
PPE: 30/30 + 10 (Staff)
Bennies: 2/2

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Seize the Day - The character acts as if he had drawn a Joker this combat round.
    Lucky Break - Play this card to completely negate the damage from one attack.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Epiphany - Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Oh, definitely going after Soldad. So long as he is mucking about Puppeting people, we may be more danger to these folks than help.

Er, do Master Vampires have MDC armor? More importantly, how would I know if Lucretia knows that?
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Toughness: 15(6), +2 Toughness vs Supernatural evil [19(10) vs ranged with psi-shield]
Weapon in hand: Martial Arts (1d6+1d4+2, never unarmed) or Psi-blade (1d6+3d10, AP 8 [4 if split])
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Maximilian wrote:Nobody ever wants me to fire off my missiles. But it's just as well. No sense in wasting an attack.
I'll drop my shooting rolls in a little bit. I'll be hitting the shadow dragon with the railgun and the laser. Both attacks at -2 due to unstable platform, multi action penalties waived due to combat Ace.
Go have a nap.

THEN FIRE ZE MISSILES!
I bring the fire
Attributes: Agility: d6, Smarts: d6, Spirit: d6, Strength: d8, Vigor: d6. Pace: 6; Parry: 5; Toughness: 16(11); Strain: 0
Theme Songs: I See Fire, Danger! High Voltage, Disco Inferno, Firestarter, Mad at Gravity - Burn
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:That sounds sweet! The baby is small enough that you can use your control of fire to do it. It would be like taking two actions, so to control the fire so it does not cook the baby it is a -2 to your psionics roll.
Ok, but Firery Aura doesn't require my character to make a Psionics roll normally, nor does Fire Mastery:

Firey Aura: At will, as an action (no roll required), a Burster can surround himself with a sheath of flame and heat, causing 3d6 damage to anyone who touches him (with a melee or touch attack, for example). He can add this damage to any Fighting attack he makes, as well. When the aura is activated, it provides +6 Armor to the Burster (this stacks with the armor power, but not worn armor). Neither effect costs any ISP. However, if he spends 3 ISP when he activates his Fiery Aura, the damage becomes Mega Damage and the Armor gains the M.D.C. quality. Fiery Aura goes away whenever the Burster is Incapacitated or is otherwise unconscious.

Fire Mastery: Over a Large Burst Template centered anywhere within 12", the Burster can create, control, and eliminate fire. He can create minor fire and heat effects (or douse flames) as a free action with no roll. As an action, he can create environmental effects that impose a −2 to Trait rolls (−4 with a raise). For any Trait rolls, use the Psionics skill. None of these effects cost ISP.

I'll include a roll JIC with my post but the above may be of some particular importance in not cooking baby :P
I bring the fire
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Not cooking babies is a good thing. :P
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Cantrell

Post by Cantrell »

I'm not sure I'd trust 'em raw, though.
Nadya Cantrell
Tribe of One#5119
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 2/3 +2 bonus
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note:
  • Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.)
  • Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out)
  • Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table)
  • Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting)
  • Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes)
  • Dodge (-2 to be hit at range)
  • Elan (+2 on rerolls)
  • Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout)
  • Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative)
  • Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)

PPE: 10/15
Current Effects: GBT (Athletics) +1d and free reroll, BT (Stealth) +1d; Doubled Pace and ignore Running penalty
Wounds:
Fatigue:
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Addendum: Not eating babies (raw or cooked) is a good thing! :lol:
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan, right at then of fire mastery it says for any trait rolls use psionics. You are doing two actions. In this case you are using two IF abilities I interpret that a trait roll will be needed due to the level of finesse and that you are doing more than environmental effects.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Kesslan, right at then of fire mastery it says for any trait rolls use psionics. You are doing two actions. In this case you are using two IF abilities I interpret that a trait roll will be needed due to the level of finesse and that you are doing more than environmental effects.
Not sure if I fully understand but ok. Also posted, so please let me know if I need to adjust anything. I'm not sure I did my rolls right or not.
I bring the fire
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Kesslan:
Yep as you caught on, the wild die is a d6 unless you have something special to increase it, also, yes it can Ace, and yes you can Ace on an Ace - theoretically any roll can be succeeded on no matter how difficult.

In terms of success or failure, with the exception of fighting, the result needed to succeed is always a 4. As such your attempt to grab the baby is a failure (5-2 =3)
However, you do have the option of spending a Bennie for one of two effects. You can either use Extra Effort to add a d6 (which can also Ace), or you can reroll the test completely (trait and wild die). You can only do one of those, though.

In this case I think Extra Effort is the better option (adds on average ~4, with a minimum of 1), and seeing our Bennies will reset to 3 at the end of the month, there's not a whole lot of reason to be shy with them.

In fact, saving a baby is something I could definitely get behind spending a Team Bennie on (we have two from Greatmoonzini); I presume they go away with the quarterly reset as well.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Lucretia wrote:In this case I think Extra Effort is the better option (adds on average ~4, with a minimum of 1), and seeing our Bennies will reset to 3 at the end of the month, there's not a whole lot of reason to be shy with them.
I completely forgot about the extra effort rule. Lot of new rules to try and remember! Right so add the extra effort, which also happens give me +2 because of Elan
I bring the fire
Libertas Magicum
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

I'd like to second the suggestion that a team bennie be used to pay for Kesslan to save a baby, rather than his personal stock.
Libertas Magicorum
OOC Comments
Edges: Danger Sense, Quick, Level-Headed, Dodge, Imp. Rapid Recharge, Arcane Marksman, Linguist
Hindrances: Bad Eyes (Glasses), Hard of Hearing, Overconfident, Minor Greedy, Minor Habit: Klepto, Stubborn, Vulnerability: Silver, Enemy: Major (Zee Hail)
Gear Powers: Invisibility, Fear, Puppet, Greater Healing, Greater Armor (lasers/electric only); Intangibility

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
    Seize the Day - The character acts as if he had drawn a Joker this combat round.
    Mechanical Malfunction - A device malfunctions in some way: guns jam, bow strings break, etc. The device can be fixed by a Repair roll at -4 and 10 minutes work.
    Epiphany - Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Ok, got all that. So.. if things work out for me this round, next round should be... interesting.

Also don't worry about using a team benny. I have like.. what? 9 bennies now? Save the team bennies for something else important, like saving the other baby.
I bring the fire
Cantrell

Post by Cantrell »

Hey Kesslan, just noticed your post says you went after the dangling vampire/baby combo. I think Maverick already snatched that one, so we need you to go for the one still on the bridge. I don't think it matters for your rolls, just the description.
Nadya Cantrell
Tribe of One#5119
Quick Stats
Champion of Temporal Stability (Intelligent Construct)
Bennies: 2/3 +2 bonus
Attributes: Agility d12, Smarts d8, Spirit d12, Strength d8 (d12+1 in armor), Vigor d12
Pace: 8 (1d8); Parry: 8 (9 with blade); Toughness: 16 (8) or 30 (18) MDC in armor
Hindrances: Coalition Exile (m) (-1 Persuasion, +1 Intimidate/Taunt if D-bees or magic users know her past), Heroic (M), Loyal (m), Vow (M): Oppose Timey-Wimey Bullshit in All Its Forms; Wanted (M): Pretty much everyone;

Common Knowledge d6, Notice d8+4, Intimidation d8+2, Persuasion d8+2

Edges and Abilities of Note:
  • Advanced Senses (Ignores 4 pts of Range penalties; ignores Illumination penalties; has thermal, infrared, radiation, motion, radar, sonar, 360-degree awareness, etc.)
  • Automated Repair Unit (Vigor roll once a day to heal a Wound; +4 vs. Bleeding Out)
  • Brave (+2 vs Fear, -2 on Fear Table)
  • Construct (+2 vs Shaken; ignore 1 pt of Wound penalties; doesn't breathe; immune to Disease and Poison; no "Golden Hour," heals with lower Occult/Spellcasting)
  • Danger Sense (Notice +2 to sense ambushes)
  • Dodge (-2 to be hit at range)
  • Elan (+2 on rerolls)
  • Iron Jaw (+2 to Soak and vs. Knockout)
  • Imp. Level Headed (Draw three cards for initiative)
  • Malfunctions (suffers Technical Difficulties)

PPE: 10/15
Current Effects: GBT (Athletics) +1d and free reroll, BT (Stealth) +1d; Doubled Pace and ignore Running penalty
Wounds:
Fatigue:
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Kesslan wrote:Also don't worry about using a team benny. I have like.. what? 9 bennies now? Save the team bennies for something else important, like saving the other baby.
Hah, yeah, I wasn't looking at your Bennie count when I said that... 9, wow.

The important thing for us to remember is that we all have bennies to spend in the next two weeks... though I for one think that having 1 or 2 left over is better than risking not having one when we need it. Actually now that I think about it it's not a bad idea to keep the team bennies for emergencies and use our own first - it's unlikely we will all have such emergencies.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Maximilian
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Maximilian »

I don't know if it's fair to ask for help, but y'all, I just nailed that shadow dragon with 32 points of mega-damage, and it seems like it might have just shaken it off. I'm going to hit it with the laser, but if anyone can figure out whether I'm fighting an illusion (which I suspect) or if I just don't have the correct firepower to put a hurt on it, it might help.
Or should I just suck it up and keep blasting away like a good dog?
Edit: shanked my laser damage roll. If laser does more damage to a shadow dragon (if it's not an illusion) I can benny to reroll that terrible damage roll.
Maximilian
Wilk's 227 Pulse Laser
    Damage 2d6+1, AP 2
2 spare e-clips
Adventure Cards
Weapons:
  • Medium Rail Gun
      ROF 3, shots 60
      ROF 1, shots 4
      ROF 1, shots 12
    Medium Laser
      ROF 1
      5 bursts
    Good Night
      Plasma Ejector damage:
      • 3d6 using 2 shots
      • 6d6 using 4 shots
Edit Signature
EP Ledger
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Cantrell wrote:Hey Kesslan, just noticed your post says you went after the dangling vampire/baby combo. I think Maverick already snatched that one, so we need you to go for the one still on the bridge. I don't think it matters for your rolls, just the description.
Ok I missed that, but it's the only one currently in range for me to reach without taking a run/leap action and even then I might not (dice depending).

Either way I'll have to completely change my actions/rolls as a result.
I bring the fire
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Ok, so looking at the map, it looks like I'd have to move 10 squares to reach the other vampire. So, if I understand that right it would have to be Running: -2 to all actions + attempt to grab if I travel far enough. And then if I take any other action it goes to -4. And then our GM is ruling that activating the aura and covering the infant is another -2, and an attempt to grab the kid in the first place would already take me to -6 so that's just not going to happen.

However, with a touch action I can give the infant armour, and if I manage to pull off a raise, it becomes a damaging fire aura. So then that would be running + touch attack at -4 to all actions trying to beat a parry of 7 vs a skill of d8,

Does that -4 apply to the potential distance covered as well then? And what the heck do I roll for running? Or is the running roll simply the d6 extra distance?

And then taking all of _that_ into account, it seems my best action right now would be to try and run, and say.. toss a fire bolt at a vampire since that might maybe land vs immediately trying to grab/protect the infant given the penalties involved.
I bring the fire
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Or.. instead of throwing a fireball I can use PSI to try and create a zone that penalizes the vampires at -2 but would have to be careful to place it where it wouldn't catch team mates or the infant. But then it looks like there's other villagers present so that's out.

Gah, got such a head ache and then I"m trying to figure this stuff out >.<

Ok so then... I guess Running towards baby #2, toss a fire bolt at the vamp eyeing me. Ooooorrr... maybe an intimidation attack on the vampire holding the baby. Except I'm not sure why he would be right now since I'm not on fire or something and would thus technically otherwise be unable to harm him and he'd know it, so I can't see justifying it....

OK so run + Fireball it is
I bring the fire
Bane

Post by Bane »

Do your fireballs automatically do Mega-Damage? Because in order to damage him with psychic or magic powers, it has to be MD.
OOC Comments
Bane

Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Yes, Fire Bolt is MDC, my personal Fiery Aura is MDC if I spend 3 ISP when I activate it. The armour power however is not MDC.

Oh, also forgot, good or bad the fire damage comes with a fire chance of 1d10 with a 10 being hot enough to set metal on fire
I bring the fire
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan you aced on one of the 6s for damage I beleive.
Yeha sorry some times it is hard too see where the enemies are if you go after them.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Wait, damage dice ace too?

*Checks book*

Oh, so they do. How about that.
I bring the fire
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan wrote:Wait, damage dice ace too?

*Checks book*

Oh, so they do. How about that.
As far as I know everything aces except for the run die.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Good to know!

I'll get the hang of this yet.
I bring the fire
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hey there Kesslan. A roll of a 1 on a throwing or shooting die will hit an innocent bystander, namley the baby the vamp is holding. If you want to spend a benny you are better off rerolling the entire roll, than spending the extra effort. If this was a gaming table I would have mentioned that rule to you before you spent the benny to extra effort so you can adjust in this case.

It does not matter what the wild die ends up in this case, or the total roll. It just matters that a 1 was rolled on the throwing or shooting skill roll.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:It does not matter what the wild die ends up in this case, or the total roll. It just matters that a 1 was rolled on the throwing or shooting skill roll.
I thought Innocent Bystander rules only happened on a miss, so if the wild die hits (or enough modifiers make a rolled 1 a success) it's ok?
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Libertas Magicum
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Innocent Bystanders
When an attacker misses a Shooting or Throwing roll, it
may sometimes be important to see if any other targets in the
line of fre were hit. The GM should only use this rule when
it’s dramatically appropriate—not for every missed shot in a
hail of gunfre.
Each miss that comes up a 1 on the Shooting die indicates
a random adjacent character was hit. If the attacker was fring
on full-auto or with a shotgun, a roll of 1 or 2 hits the bystander.
Roll damage normally.
Page 73 of SWD, for reference.
Libertas Magicorum
OOC Comments

• Q2/19 Adventure Cards:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Lucretia wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:It does not matter what the wild die ends up in this case, or the total roll. It just matters that a 1 was rolled on the throwing or shooting skill roll.
I thought Innocent Bystander rules only happened on a miss, so if the wild die hits (or enough modifiers make a rolled 1 a success) it's ok?
Yup sorry about that you are right Lucretia. Good catch. The Wild die can replace the shooting roll.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

To clarify: The firebolt was thrown at the vampire that was eying Kess and had that dog teeth necklace. He was running towards the one carrying the baby but didn't want to risk throwing a fireball at him as it might hit the baby.
I bring the fire
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan wrote:To clarify: The firebolt was thrown at the vampire that was eying Kess and had that dog teeth necklace. He was running towards the one carrying the baby but didn't want to risk throwing a fireball at him as it might hit the baby.
Ahh gotcha. Ok thank you. Well you knock that one down then.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Quick mechanics double check:
Lucretia hit for 17 damage, AP 2.
Soldad has 8 toughness. Wouldn't that be 2 raises (8->12->16) for 2 wounds?
Or does he have 4+ "natural armor" that reduced the damage below 16?
Or maybe I'm not quite understanding how damage works - this is literally my first SW fight, so that is absolutely possible.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hey Lucretia, I believe the general convention for toughness is total with armor is parenthesess. So 18(8) means 8 armor 10 toughness. Ap never decreases toughness. So you scored 7 points above his toughness( his armor does not cover the head). I take 7/4 and round down= 1 that gives me a shake and a wound if you soak the wound a success of 4 on vigor roll you are also not shaken.

This is a great combat to get all our questions answered. I do appreciate you guys pointing stuff out.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

Ah oops! I knew that, really I did. :oops:

For some reason I find the "Total(Armor)" setup counter-intuitive. I keep thinking "Total(Toughness)".

I know I've checked and double-checked my own for just that reason, but I'd better do an upteenth-million check just to make sure...

EDIT: yep, 15(6) is correct. Good.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Bane

Post by Bane »

Shouldn't you have AP 6, or do you have 2 Psi-Swords?

Edit: Damn autocorrect on my tablet...
Last edited by Bane on Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OOC Comments
Bane

Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

sword and shield, which has the same effect on the sword's AP. Still, the called shot negated the armor so the AP value didn't matter.
when not quite sure what to expect in combat, +3 parry/+4 armor vs ranged seemed like a good idea.

I may have gone overboard on defense with Lucretia, but hopefully having Counterattack will help offset that.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

So.. I've been debating this one for a bit. If Kess can get the baby away from the vampire, or even just touch it, he can give it an armour of 2 with his psi power. However if it's put on with a raise, it does fire damage. Which is totally fine for him, but somewhat problematic if he wants to hand it to someone else or put it somewhere safe so he can go back to smashing vampires.
I bring the fire
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Kesslan wrote:So.. I've been debating this one for a bit. If Kess can get the baby away from the vampire, or even just touch it, he can give it an armour of 2 with his psi power. However if it's put on with a raise, it does fire damage. Which is totally fine for him, but somewhat problematic if he wants to hand it to someone else or put it somewhere safe so he can go back to smashing vampires.
Dilemmas Dilemmas, we'll just have to see how this round ends and the next one starts.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

"Don't worry, oh parents, it only looks like I set your child on fire."

15 years later...
"I guess my love of fire started as a baby...."
- from the confession of a teenage arsonist

------

I would think you could end the power early, if you need to hand the baby off.
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

I think, in the end he'd do it. He's stupid enough to not think of the potential consequences in the heat of the moment..
I bring the fire
Bane

Post by Bane »

You can always drop it when you need to hand the baby off...
OOC Comments
Bane

Kesslan

Post by Kesslan »

Drop...

Drop the BABY!?

You MONSTER!

I'd much rather play hot potato with it! :D
I bring the fire
Bane

Post by Bane »

https://youtu.be/RaCodgL9cvk

Lol, no I meant the aura, power down if you will.
OOC Comments
Bane

Lucretia

Post by Lucretia »

The whole thing makes me think of Willow...

"I stole the baby!!!! Haha, stupid Daikini!"
9/10 ISP
Active effects:
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:Hey Lucretia, I believe the general convention for toughness is total with armor is parenthesess. So 18(8) means 8 armor 10 toughness. Ap never decreases toughness. So you scored 7 points above his toughness( his armor does not cover the head). I take 7/4 and round down= 1 that gives me a shake and a wound if you soak the wound a success of 4 on vigor roll you are also not shaken.

This is a great combat to get all our questions answered. I do appreciate you guys pointing stuff out.
Oops. I need to update Jude then LOL I think I did his as Total Toughness (toughness without armor).
Character Tracker
Parry: 6; Toughness: 17 (8 natural, +1 duster, 4 armor, 4 personal force field [nonmagical attacks only, ignores AP)
You Know What to Do: During the first round of combat you gain and extra card draw and +2 to your trait rolls, +2 damage, +2 pace (stacks with a joker).
Hard to Kill: When making rolls for Incapacitation or death, ignore Wound modifiers
I Know a Guy
Adventure Cards
  • We Have the Talent: You gain the benefits of an immediate Advance of your choice. You must meet any prerequisites. This benefit (new skill, increased trait, new Edge, etc.) lasts for the remainder of the session; your next actual Advance must be spent on this same benefit.
  • Enemy: Play at the beginning of the game session. A villain of the GM’s choice becomes your character’s sworn enemy and you may not soak wounds caused directly by him. Starting now, you draw an extra Adventure Card each game session until the enemy is “retired.”
  • Epiphany: Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.
  • Speedy Gonzales: Expend this card to gain +2 to your Pace for the rest of the scene.
  • In the Zone: Gain +1 to Shooting, Fighting, Throwing rolls until the end of the scene.
Jude Maverick
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Jude Maverick »

And I thought I had rolled that 1d10+1d6 damage on Saturday night, but may have been half asleep. Did you get it? Otherwise here again...

[dice]0[/dice]

[dice]1[/dice]
Aced!
[dice]2[/dice]
Character Tracker
I Know a Guy
Adventure Cards

Return to “Adventure Archive”