Interludes Come September

Put old stuff here
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Interludes Come September

Post by Ndreare »

While the game will not start until September, I think everyone likes a little notice. Each of you will have an opportunity to post an interlude when we start for your characters as follows. If you have trouble thinking of a good interlude for the card received you may chose another suit.

[dice]0[/dice] Baron McVey = Red Joker (Your Choice)
[dice]1[/dice] Billy Borg = Queen of Spades
[dice]2[/dice] Erin Sol = Jack of Diamonds
[dice]3[/dice] Hardin = Seven of Spades
[dice]4[/dice] Lawrence Charles = Six of Diamonds
[dice]5[/dice] Nomed Dercas = Two of Clubs
[dice]6[/dice] Sephia = Eight of Diamonds
[dice]7[/dice] Sir William Mahan = Two of Spades

Based on the following card numbering
1 2S
2 3S
3 4S
4 5S
5 6S
6 7S
7 8S
8 9S
9 10S
10 JS
11 QS
12 KS
13 AS
14 2H
15 3H
16 4H
17 5H
18 6H
19 7H
20 8H
21 9H
22 10H
23 JH
24 QH
25 KH
26 AH
27 2C
28 3C
29 4C
30 5C
31 6C
32 7C
33 8C
34 9C
35 10C
36 JC
37 QC
38 KC
39 AC
40 2D
41 3D
42 4D
43 5D
44 6D
45 7D
46 8D
47 9D
48 10D
49 JD
50 QD
51 KD
52 AD
53 Red Joker
54 Black Joker
What is an Interlude
Interludes
In most heroic tales, characters engage in small talk that reveals something about their past or further develops their personality. Such “Interludes” are rare in roleplaying games where we focus primarily on action and the next encounter.
The system below formulizes these scenes and rewards players for roleplaying their character and revealing their backstory to the rest of the group.

Running an Interlude
The Game Master should run an Interlude during natural down-time such as when healing up after a fight, performing research, or between legs of a long trip.
To start, pick a player and have her draw a card. The Suit determines the general topic as shown on the Interlude Table below. Each entry requires the player to tell a story in the voice of her character. The tale should be substantial enough to take a few minutes and may draw in other characters’ participation as well.
The next time the Game Master feels an Interlude is appropriate, he should pick a different player so that everyone has a chance to participate and reap the rewards.
►► Rewards: After a player completes her tale, award her a Benny or an Adventure Card—her choice.
  • Interlude Table
    • Clubs—Tragedy: Describe a tale of tragedy or misfortune from your hero’s past, featuring one of his Hindrances if possible. If the teller has a dark secret of some kind, hint strongly at it, drop clues, or otherwise give the rest of the group a glimpse into your hero’s dark side during your narrative.
    • Spades—Victory: Tell the group about a great victory or personal triumph in your adventurer’s past. How did it affect him afterward? Was there a reward?
    • Hearts—Love: Speak fondly of the character’s greatest love—lost, found, or waiting on him back home. What is her name? Where does she live? Why is the traveler not with her now?
    • Diamonds—Desire: Tell a tale about something your hero wants (or already has). It might be a material possession, recognition, a political goal, or even a trip he wishes to take to some amazing destination.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Interludes Come September

Post by High Command »

Posted for my own reminder:
OOC Comments
6: Injury: You suffered a grievous injury of some sort. Explain how it happened, working in something about your character’s backstory as you do so.
Diamonds—Desire: Tell a tale about something your hero wants (or already has). It might be a material possession, recognition, a political goal, or even a trip he wishes to take to some amazing destination.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

While I was previously unfamiliar with the older Interludes I like how much guidance they give.

Please feel free to chose whichever system you find the more pleasant to work with.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
BILLY BORG

Post by BILLY BORG »

Within Tolerances
Dramatic interlude #1

As the day's work ended removing the twisted turret of the war machine.Foragers returned with heavy,ripe apples for the hungry caravan.Billy Borgs immersion blender whirred transforming fruit into the applesauce more palatable for the cyborgs synthetic stomach.
“When I was at the Samsung Home,” Began the massive machine with a synthetic child voice, “The Black Market reps told me that I had the makings of a Psi Operator. I was promised a chance to use my talents to see the world and help people. I really liked that idea.
I was adopted (purchased really) by the Druids of the Golden Bough orchard. They took me to be used like countless children before me. A sacrifice to the Golden Grove, a magic place existing coincident with the orchard.
I don't remember being rescued.
I don't remember dying.
I don't remember the quickening.
I know that I have a new husk for my old ghost, Old promises, explore the world and help people. Overall nothing has changed…..Within Tolerances”.
Billy Borg
Billy Borg
Parry:7, Toughness: 20(8),
Combat Edges:Rock and Roll
Skills: Drive d8, Fighting d10, Knowledge (Computers) d4, Knowledge (Engineering) d4, Knowledge (Cybernetics) d4, Notice d6 +2(Audio)+2(Visual), Repair d10 +4(Core Electronics Package) +2 (Universal tool Kit), Shooting d10+2 (Targeting Eye)
Bennie: 4
  • +1 GM Reward

Return to “Archive”