Hell & Gone: On the Road Again

Freemage
Savage Senior

Hell & Gone: On the Road Again

Post by Freemage »

Montcrief goes down to double-check on the deliveries being packed away properly. He also shows SnackHappy the cargo container holding the components for a dock-crane to be delivered to Peel. "You should probably help them set it up, as well as any other duties you care to perform. Alright, then, off you go. Enjoy the easy job."

And so the group gets on the road again, heading to the town of Peel, and then the rest of the way. They don't have many adventures, as such, but they do get a lot done....
OOC Comments
Okay, so, before you get to Dugginsville, there's a bunch of small towns where you get to rescue kittens, or whatever. Interlude time! Pick one of the interim towns, and write up a description of what your character did there to help them out with some minor issue. Make it as large or as small as you like, but note that it should be something you could take care of in about 24 hours, and wouldn't feature Wild Card opposition. Don't even sweat making rolls, just pick something that probably would've centered on a Trait you've got a d8 or better in. Avoid long-term consequences (at least, for you); you shouldn't come out of this with a new romance who now is riding along in the truck, or get a boatload of cash reward or anything.

Note that these are all small farming/fishing/logging towns and trading posts, so go with interludes that would be suited to that setting. Feel free to make up NPCs or features of the towns, though if someone posted about the same town before you, you should at least not contradict their details.

As always, there's a theme for your Interlude, though in this case, a negative theme like Loss or Tragedy could refer to the events that caused you to come in to help--say, someone lost their home in a storm and you organized a town-wide barn-raising, for instance.

Themes:

Artemeisia: Spades-Victory
Roath: Hearts-Love
SnackHappy: Clubs-Tragedy
Zakkael: Spades-Victory
Hassun: Hearts-Love
Scyleia: Clubs-Tragedy
Echo: Spades-Victory
Herra: Hearts-Love

As the Interludes are posted, everyone who tied in their theme gets their choice of a Bennie or an additional Adventure Card (indicate which you want in your post, and if it's an Adventure Card, post the roll/result here)/ Remember that you can only play one card per quarter, so if you've already dropped yours, the bennie is probably the better bet, unless you're drawing with the intention of giving it to another player. Once all that's done, we'll have the arrival in Dugginsville.

Final note: I'm aware that Echo and possibly Scyleia are doing some shopping in the Mission Briefing thread. That's still happening OOCly, we'll get it done before it's time for dice to hit the virtual table.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Erin Tarn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Re: Hell & Gone: On the Road Again

Post by Erin Tarn »

Roath

My card was love.

The Bull Shouls area intrigues Roath. It's simply beautiful here. He has not really had a lot of time to explore Earth beyond Atlantis and the east coast of North America. He only ventured out to Castle Refuge for Sir Sayeen's funeral.

Roath wonders why he has bothered to join the Legion. It's all been death and killing so far, just like everywhere else he goes. Over eighty years of killing and death.

Standing on the shore overlooking the water, joints aching, the old Line Walker sees three individuals making their way towards him along the shore line. Reflexively Roath places his hand on the hilt of his greater flame blade.

Watching as the three come closer he sees they are obviously from the town, mother, father and child swinging between the parents. Roath chuckles as he sees the young kid laughing and swinging from his parents arms.

As they pass by the old man the father says to Roath, "Thank you Sir, all of you Legionnaires, thank you."

Roath smiles and nods at them as they walk past. He hears the youngster ask his loving parents, who was that black man?

Roath turns to walk back to town as the father tells his son about the heroes of the Legion.

Its strange being loved by the people instead of feared.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed (110 PA)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! (68 PA)

Damien - Momano (Rifts: 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kasbrook (RST!)
Erin Tarn (RST!)
Artemeisia
Gold Patron
Gold Patron

Post by Artemeisia »

VICTORY!!!

Small towns. They are the same around the megaverse. Artemeisia has seen an uncountable number. It's not that she looks down on the people. She has nothing but respect for those who can eek out a meaningful live in the areas in between. What she doesn't like, the worst part, is that they are dull beyond hope. The people, steadfast, hard working, maybe shady on occasion, are not typically creative or well learned.

They are also typically not worthy opponents. She espouses a sense of honor, and to a degree she believes in it. Drawing swords, or even half blind, pistols, against one of these yokels would be the same as murder.

Sitting in one of the drinking holes in one of towns, the rest of the SET having wondered off, Artemeisia was enjoying a drink of her own. Her brain was still partially processing the full scale battle recently and piecing it together with the research from the Legion's libraries. While not unaware, she certainly wasn't focused on her environment.

She still has no idea, and probably never will, why the local ruffian took offense at whatever she did. He got in her face. He tried to push her down (but couldn't). He tried to goad her into a fight (but couldn't). This was the type of fellow Artemeisia knew she could cut down with her good eye closed. She wouldn't do that. So while the guy tried to figure out his next move, she stepped up close and stared him in the eye (only one, it would have to do).

"You, citizen, are an emotional cripple. Arcturian buffalo excrement has more worth than your pathetic soul. You are ugly. I do not care about whatever bile you think you have to expel." Not her best, but she presses on, stepping even closer, her voice now a whisper. "You are physically repulsive, intellectually retarded, you are morally reprehensible, vulgar, stupid, with no determinable expertise and you smell. You're not even interesting enough to make me sick." She doesn't let up, "So, let me explain it to you in simple terms you might possibly have a chance at understanding. Your wretched person is not worthy of my sword, my boot, or my time." With a slight motion of her chin she says, "Now run along."
Artemeisia Harpe Discipula
Edit Signature
Bennies: 1
Pace: 6 ; Parry: 8 6; Toughness: 7 / w/ armor 13 (5)
Worn Armor: SFD Bushman Full Composite Armor
Weapon in Hand: R.Hand: Chain-Longsword, L.Hand Wilks 227 Pulse Laser Pistol

"Unless the enemy has studied his Agrippa… which I have." - Inigo Montoya
"Well then, I seem to recall a rather pleasant little restaurant not far from here. Care to see if it's still standing?" - Ciaphas Cain
"Excuse me, did we come to your planet and blow stuff up?" - Nick Fury
Zakkael
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Zakkael »

Interlude: Victory -- for a benny

The trip so far had been mostly uneventful. Zakkael took occasional aerial wanderings to survey the countryside, but this was truly turning out to be the milk run it was advertised to be. That changed, ever so slightly, in Oakland. The town had recently fallen victim to an epidemic. The victims hacked and coughed until their bodies were weak, and fevers were widespread. While they were flush with standard medicines, they couldn't seem to find a cure for the malady. No fatalities had been reported yet, but the majority of the workers at the local logging operation had fallen ill, to the point that the operation couldn't fill a single shift. The mayor, Marcus Lynch, cared deeply for his people, and had exhausted every measure he could think of. When the 7th SET arrived at the outskirts, they found the town greeted them with posted signs warning of a quarantine, and urging any travelers to avoid the area.
Yes, Gabriel. I see it. This is no simple affliction. Yes, Gabriel, I will. All glory to the Light.
He turns to his friends. "There is healing in the Light. Allow me." Leaving the rest of the 7th SET at the border of the town, he takes wing, shouting to the townsfolk. "The Light of Heaven has sent me to unburden you from this sickness! Come to me in the center of town, all you who are stricken with this malady. The Light is merciful, and through Heaven's humble servant, you shall be made whole." The people of Oakland, desperate for relief from this mysterious illness, hesitated at first. Any and all reasonable medical efforts had been exhausted. Zakkael sought out the mayor, who had begun to exhibit signs of the illness, and pulled him into as conspicuous a location as could be found.
"My friend, you need not suffer any longer under this malady. Let the Light restore you!" Laying his hands on the mayor, Zakkael mutters a prayer to Heaven. Bathed in a holy light, the mayor straightens his posture and breathes freely. The spark of life returns to his eyes, and he begins leaping for joy. He shouts out to his fellow townsfolk to come out. One by one, those who could still walk made their way to Zakkael. He gathers a number of them together and mutters his prayers over the lot. Holy light, instant relief. He continues most of the afternoon, seeking out those who could not leave their beds.
Once the village was relieved of their burdens, the mayor and some of the leaders of the logging operation went to show their gratitude. Zakkael stops them as they approach. "There is no need to thank me. It was not I who did this. The Light of Heaven shows mercy when it is needed most. Medicine, though, would never have cured this illness, for it was not a physical condition. An evil presence had tainted the town. This was a spiritual attack. I have not determined the purpose, but the designs of the enemy will always be unmade once the Light shines upon them. Tell your people to resume their work."
Satisfied with having banished the evil at work, the 7th SET takes respite and prepares for the next leg of their journey.
Zakkael
Zakkael
Current Status: 1 wounds / 1 Fatigue
Bennies: 2 (-1 EE fighting, -1 Soak, +1 from Fox)
Parry: 9, -2 to hit with ranged attacks
Toughness: 12 (7)
PPE: 11/25 / ISP: 2/10
Staff PPE: 2/10
Active Powers: Exalted Darksight
Pertinent Edges: Danger Sense, Alertness, Improved Rapid Recharge, Elan, Marksman (Mysticism)
Adventure Cards:
  • Joker's Gone Wild: Play this card to swap your initiative card with any Joker drawn for initiative.
    Rabbit Out of My Hat: Play this card to gain +2 to any Trick test until the end of the scene
Armor: TW Combat Mage Armor
  • Darksight
  • Farsight
  • +7 Armor
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • +1 Strength die
  • Powered by 1 PPE/hour
Weapon(s) in hand:
Staff of Justice
  • 10 PPE
  • +1 Miracles spellcasting rolls
  • Dispel (Holy Light approved custom trapping)
  • Smite
  • Str+d6 damage, Reach 1, Parry +1, 2 handed, MD with 2 PPE
Shield of Faith
  • +6 Armor vs. ranged attacks
  • +3 Parry
  • -2 to hit by ranged attacks
  • Edges: Dodge & Improved Dodge
  • Power: Barrier (wall of force trapping)
  • Power: Deflection (Wind trapping)
Approved Custom Trappings - Deific
Edit Signature
Peta Chante
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Peta Chante »

Human culture, particularly here in this new land, is still a mystery to Herra. Truth be told, her native culture is also a mystery, having been forced into slavery as a child. All she knows is the culture of the fighting pits: don’t resist the master, kill or be killed, find a pack. These are Herra’s touchstones. She also knows there is more. She has seen it in small acts of kindness, in Spider’s sacrifice to free her, and in the Tomorrow Legion. But, never has this longing for more been awakened as much as in a logging community in rural Arkansas named Anderson.

The town, such as it is, was named for the last name of the founder who settled in the area sometime during the dark ages. Some people farmed, some people fished, most people worked in the saw mill - a relic of a thing kept together by grit and tenacity more than technology. The lumber is sold up and down the river to both CS Arkansas and the Legion. The mill also has the reputation as being a death trap. Each year more than one villager meets their maker while working the mill. Those that don’t die usually can’t afford, or find, proper medical care for their injuries.

While lumber negotiations droned on Herra left the room, business dealings sound a lot like slave auction to her. Strolling along the river walk - a dirt path that roughly followed the river - she happens upon a small farm. The sign on the gate simply says Sanctuary. From the path she can see men and women with various injuries and disfigurations working in the farm yard. An ingenious rig allows a man with one leg to drive the farm tractor.

He drives better than I do, Herra thinks with a sigh. While she is watching a man falls from the farm tractor hitting his head hard. People gather around in the commotion and a woman comes running from the farmhouse with a small first aid kit. Wanting to help, Herra strolls up the lane. She can feel their eyes shift from the accident to her. Painfully aware of their stares she continues to walk toward the scene. Ignoring the man’s plight, Herra looks at the woman caring for him. She doesn’t appear to suffer from injuries like the others, but her face is awash with compassion.The woman with the first aid kit looks up, “Well, don’t just stand there gaping. Help me.”

Jolted into action Herra lays hands on the fallen man - immediately healing his injuries. He rouses quickly, much to the relief of everyone nearby. With much thanks Herra is invited to stay for supper. The meal is hearty but simply, mostly all grown on the small farm. The group are accident survivors from the mill. The woman, Annie, started taking in injured mill workers after her husband died in an accident as well. Listening to their stories, Herra is fixated on Annie. The young psychic cannot comprehend why the woman would care for these people. In the world of slaves, these poor broken souls, would be used as food stock for monsters, but here they are cared for by someone who doesn’t even share their plight.

Finally, as they clean up from dinner. Herra asks the question that is burning on her mind, “Why do you care for these people, Annie? Does the mill pay you to serve them?” The woman smiles broadly, genuinely happy, “Pay me? Heavens no. I do it because no one else does.”

Furrowing her brow Herra shakes her head trying to make sense of it all, “To care for others. To show kindness when it is not required. It’s extraordinary, and I have only experienced it once in my life but cannot find words to express it. How do you describe it?”

That’s easy, Annie replies quickly, “I call it love.”
Character Information
Herra, Psychic Warrior
30/30 I.S.P.
1/3 Bennies
Edit Signature
Echo
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Echo »

Looking around the village the team assessed the damage as they entered. The villagers looked incredibly distrustful obviously having been the targets of armed bandits already.
Soon the bravest of them approached the group her face showing hints of fear and determination. “We have nothing here for you to steal, the last group already took everything.”
Echo spoke up on behalf of the group. “We are not hear to steal anything mam. We would like to offer help.
Who did this, who sacked your village?”
The woman did not relax at all as she spoke still wary of any deception. “It was The Tomorrow Legion. They showed up yesterday and told us the help they gave was not really free and someone had to pay for all the supplies it took to run their efforts. They would not listen when we told them we had nothing to pay them with. So they had their way around town, took whatever they wanted and shot the place up for our ‘mouthing off’. The last part said with resentment. “The Legion has always been helpful to us in the past, I don’t understand.”
The group conferred on this information and decided what to do asking Echo to talk to the woman as she was the most capable of getting someone to relax. “Mam, I that was not the legion. My friends here will go get your supplies back and bring those bandits back here for justice. I will stay and help you rebuild and see what we can do to help.”
The Lady looked at her suspiciously “And why would you do that?”
“Because mam, I am Echo and we really are with The Tomorrow Legion, and we really do help people.” The strength and conviction in Echo’s voice was enough for the lady to lower her guard a bit. But she was unwilling to become friendly yet.
“I guess, you can help out, but we are ready now. I am Mariah Sandalwood.” Looking a little surprised as if she did not know she was going to give them a chance she moved and allowed the Team by.
The work was the kind of hard work that left you feeling good at the end of the day. Enough fatigue in your muscles to know they were used, but not enough to be painful and slow you down.
Echo spent the time doing the kind of work others would be less capable of mending holes in walls, building rough structures for them to finish in their own time. “I am not much as a craftsman, but I can do the rough shapes and let your people finish them as needed.”
The meager first aid skills also came in handy as she was able to provide basic medical services to many of the towns people who were injured during the previous night's raid.
When the team returned with the bandits the villagers placed them on trial. Sentencing two of the men to death for rape and the rest they of the survivors they flogged and sent away stripped of supplies.
Between the efforts of the team to capture the villains who had committed the travesty and Echo’s work to help rebuild the villagers grew to trust the team. The Tomorrow Legion’s reputation having been restored as they understood Echo was telling the truth. The Legion really would not commit such travesties, but instead wishes to fight those who do.
OOC Comments
Echo had victory, for some reason I struggled thinking of something I liked this time around.
Echo already used a card this session and has a card that will carry over, so will be taking a benny instead.
Echo (Rob T)
Echo a Living Spell & Shape Changer
Active effects: Awesomeness, Conceal Arcana, Spirit d12+2
Current Parry: 5
Current Toughness: 11 (6) (Environmental)
Notable Edges: Imp Nerves of Steel, Killer Instinct, Charismatic +6
Spells & Powers: Unearthly Perception, Metamorphosis Superior, Matter/Energy Shaping at will.

Current Status
Wounds: 0/3
Fatigue: 0/2

Bennies: 1
  • +3 Quarterly Reset
    -2 Reroll with Immortal Hand

Q2 2019 ADVENTURE CARDS
  • 44 Boom! Head Shot You may ignore any Called Shot penalty on your next ranged attack.

49 Parely All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.

48 Epiphany Something you never understood before suddenly “clicks.” You gain a d6 in any skill you previously did not have for the remainder of this game session.

GM Quick Reference
SnackHappy
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by SnackHappy »

Strolling down the street with the package in tow while taking it to its final destination, a small warehouse in the seedier part of town. Snackhappy spots a couple men heading into a small cafe. Odd... those clothes seem awful warm for this time of year. Maybe some weird DB thinks this place is cold.

After dropping the package off Jacob makes his way past the same cafe. Horrified there are now many people standing around outside. Jacob climbs out from Sasha to go and take a closer look. Weaving through the crowd he gets to the front. He talks his way past the barricade and to the detective. "Detective, what happened here? Is there any way I can help?"

The detective frowns as he is clearly distraught by the situation."A couple of men were spotted entering the building wearing some heavy coats. They apparently came in and had a meal, then they began shooting. So far my reports are telling me that these guys have already left town. My boys tell me you're with the Tomorrow Legion is that right? If so we could use some help tracking them down."

"Yes sir, that's correct. I will do what I can so that perhaps their families can get some justice." The rest of the day and most of the trip Jacob spends his free time looking for any clues as to where they might have gone. I wish I would have looked into it sooner. Those families would still have their loved ones.
Character Summary
Jacob ‘Snack Happy’ Grimlock a M.A.R.S. Robot Armor Pilot
Active effects: None
Parry: 6 (8 w/Cestus)
Toughness: 20(9)/35(17) in Sasha
Notable Edges: Professional, Expert, Ace, Combat Ace, Level Headed, Improved Level Headed, Quick, Robot Armor Jock, McGyver, Two-Fisted, Rock and Roll, Ambidextrous, Command, Tactician
Skills: Notice d6, Repair d8 +2,Knowledge(Battle) d6, Knowledge(Electronics) d8, Piloting d10+2, Driving d6+2, Fighting d8, Shooting d12+2
Equipment of Note:
Triax T-13 Field Mechanic(Modified):+9 Armor and +2 Toughness, Full Environmental; Comms (10 miles), Loudspeakers, laser distancer, night vision mode,Laser Torch (Range 4/8/16, Damage 3d6, RoF 1, AP 3, Mega Damage), Laser Finger (Str+d4 in melee reach 1 Strength d6 arm, +2 Repair checks)
Wilk’s 227 Pulse Laser Pistol (Range 18/36/72, Damage 2d6+1, RoF 1, AP 4, 24 Shots, Semi-Auto)

NG-V61 Gunwolf(Sasha): Size 6, Crew 2 modded for tail copilot, Strength d12+6, Toughness 35 (17), Pace 10
Notes: M.D.C. Armor
Weapon Systems:
  • 2 × Dual-linked Medium RailGuns (right forearm)|(Range 100/200/400, +1 to hit, Damage 3d10+6, RoF 3, AP 14, 60 Shots, Mega Damage)
  • Medium Ion Cannon (left forearm) | (Range 40/80/160, Damage 4d8, RoF 1, AP 4, Mega Damage, MBT)
  • Medium Missile Launcher (chest) |(Range 200/400/800, Damage 8d6, RoF 1, AP 15, 4 Shots, Mega Damage, MBT)
  • 2 × Dual-Linked Light Laser (eyes) | (Range 150/300/600, +1 to hit, Damage 2d10+2, RoF 1, AP 5, Mega Damage)
  • Heavy Flamethrower (jaws). A heavy chemical flamethrower, the damage ignores all but Full Environment Protection armor (Range Cone, Damage 2d10+2, RoF 1, Mega Damage)
  • Assault Jaws/Claws/Rail gun spikes. The Gunwolf has a number of close combat weapons built-in (Damage d12+d8+6, AP 2, Mega Damage)
  • Wolf’s Howl Transmitter Array. As an action, the pilot activates this system, affecting all targets within a Large Burst Template centered on the Gunwolf (the Gunwolf itself is immune). Victims must make a Smarts roll at −2 or be Shaken (−4 if the target has some kind of enhanced hearing, GM’s call).
Jump Jets To jump, the pilot uses an action to make a Piloting roll to both maneuver his walker and manage his power reserves. Each round spent jumping increases his height 50 feet. Each subsequent round spent jumping (essentially flying) afterwards inflicts a –2 to the Piloting roll, cumulative to a maximum of –6. Failure means the walker descends immediately (a critical failure results in a fall; you suffer (6+X)d6 damage, where X = Height/10).
You may also make a Death From Above attack by landing on an enemy vehicle or armor unit. This is an opposed roll of your Piloting vs. their Piloting/Driving/Boating Skill. If you fail, it is treated as a 20' Fall (8d6 damage). If you succeed, you land on top of them, doing (6+X)d6 damage, where X is your starting Height/10.

Ammo:
  • 12 medium missiles
    450 railgun rounds
    80 shots for Flamethrower
    24 BigBore Shells
Razorback Cloak (unenchanted, crafted from exotic materials)
  • Created from the hides of boars mutated with demonic magic; the metal-infused spines and razor-sharp edges often seem to flex in the defense of the wearer.
  • Grants +2 to opposed rolls whenever the wearer is in a Grapple (whether it's a Strength/Agility roll to break free, or a Fighting roll to inflict damage).
  • When worn, the wearer gains the benefits of the Extraction and Combat Sense Edges (if they have either of these Edges already, they gain the Improved version).
  • However, the shiny material and grating, rasping noise they make when worn give the wearer a -2 penalty to Stealth rolls.
  • 2 lbs
  • Value: 25,000 Cr, in part because they aren't exactly attractive.
NG-B50 Thunderer Combat Hammer
Str+d10+3d6
Notes: Mega Damage. BigBore shells provide the +3d6 and must be reloaded after 8 strikes.
BigBore shells cost 125 credits each (1,000 credits for a full reload). (Silvered)

C-29 “Hellfire” Heavy Plasma Cannon
18/36/72 3d10+4
Notes: Min Str d8, Mega Damage, Snapfire. Plasma hits all of a target at once, ignoring Armor unless
it’s fully covering. Targets may ignite (6 on a d6), burning for 1d10 continuous damage until doused.

LongTooth Clan Tail Cestus (Super-Tech Signature Item)
This cestus, custom crafted for Jacob's tail by the Longtooth Clan of the Dinosaur Swamp, lets him clear a large arc of enemies; it also serves as a constant reminder of surviving the Xiticix Hive there, and so renders him immune to fear.
Base Item: Chain Longsword (Str + 2d8 MD, AP 4)
  • ST Mods (8 points)
  • Parry +2 (2 pts)
  • Sweep Edge (2 pts)
  • Improved Sweep Edge (2 pts)
  • Fearless (2 pts)
  • Modified per loot to add +2 AP off of hero's journey
Credits: 158,370

Wounds: 0/4 | Fatigue: 0/2 | Action Cards: Second Wind, Spill the Beans, Extra Effort
Bennies: 3/3

Currently playing in: 7th Set Joker's Jokers
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

OOC Comments
This edit is designed to get folks all in the same place.
Castle Refuge, four hours ago:

During the mess hall breakfast for unassigned recruits, Chief Ossana "Joker" Wilde strides through the doors with a 'bang', lit cigar in one hand and hip-flask in another. Trailing behind her is the violet-skinned, white-haired D-Bee, Montcrief, who serves as her personal attache. She looks around the mess hall, glancing at the open folders Montcrief is holding out, and then uses the cigar to point from the doorway. "You!" The first jab is at a particularly mangy looking Dogboy known as Growler. "And you!" This time, the jab is towards the Legion's first Zapper, a close-shorn human called Calyx. "Congratulations! You're both part of the 7th Set. Welcome to the Jokers! Your packs are being loaded onto a transport now, get down to the motor pool and follow instructions. Get moving!" She storms out before you can even put down your eating utensils, but thankfully, Montcrief hangs back a bit.

"I'll walk you both down. Here's the mission briefing. The 7th has been on a good-will tour of the towns around the eastern edge of Bull Shoals lake, and should be arriving in Dugginsville later today. We're going to be getting you there by ferry so you can team up with them, as a couple of members apparently had other affairs to take care of. It should be an easy first mission--you're going to be helping the town with a wild boar infestation, possibly of supernatural origin. Here's your mission briefing, including your orders to deliver to Specialist First Class Artemesia Discipula--she's your field commander."

As he leads you down to the motor pool, you have the opportunity to ask questions. Once there, he points to an open-topped dune-buggy-type vehicle that does, indeed, have any gear you had stored in the recruit barracks already loaded on the back. "Corporal Jones will get you to the ferry landing; once there, the ferryman, a civilian named Paulette Drew will be taking you across the waters; Dugginsville is right on the dock, so your arrival should coincide with the others."

Corporal Langston Jones is a blond-haired man with an easy grin, wearing sunglasses. He welcomes you aboard, and as soon as you are in your seats, he starts the engine, taking an off-road route straight to the lake, and driving only a little bit along the beach to get to the ferry landing. There, you meet Paulette Drew (call me "Skipper"), a red-headed woman standing next to a large, open-topped hovercraft with three huge fans on the back and a dual-mounted laser cannon on the front; the entire contraption is clearly a techno-wizard design, apparently controlled by a single free-standing gem-encrusted joystick-like staff in the center of the boat. She gets your gear stacked onboard and secured with cloth netting, has Growler take the shotgun seat behind the laser, with Calyx having his choice of the others, and then immediately gets you moving at what can only be fairly described as 'breakneck' speed. And when she adjusts course to track along a Ley Line above the water, the force of the sudden acceleration slams you both into your seats.
OOC Comments
Because I like tinkering:

Paulette's Hover-Ferry, "Skimmer"
Base: Large
Size: 4; Acc/TS: 25/50; Toughness: 15 (4); Crew: 1+9
Mods: Hover (4); Sensor Suite (1); Exposed Crew (0); Quad-Linked Fixed (Forward mount) Heavy Laser (3); Boosters (1); Ejection System (2); Speed (3); Passenger Space (1)
TW Mods (Vehicle):
+2 Boating
Ley Line Powered
On Ley Line: x4 Speed, +2 Handling
10 Internal PPE
Legendary: +2 die-type Boating

Quad-mounted Forward-Fixed Lasers (Total +4 to hit, Damage 4d10+4, AP 15, RoF 1, 45-degree arc only)
TW Mods (Laser): (Lasers may be toggled between Trappings as a free action--White/Red/Yellow/Blue gems on a dial)
+2 Shooting
Trapping: Cold/Slow (Shooting Raise Coats target in ice, next round is treated as Difficult Terrain)
Trapping: Heat/Fatigue (Roll Vigor or suffer level of Fatigue)
Trapping: Electric/Conductive (If target is touching water or other conductive material, 5d8+4 Damage; if not, 4d8+4)
Trapping: Water/Sonic Boom (Target in water suffers 4d10+6 Damage; target out of water suffers 4d10+2 Damage)
Legendary: Ley-Line Powered, +10 PPE
Vehicle Value: 1,337,600 Cr
Weapon Value: 4,420,000 Cr
There's a brief moment where you have to divert course around some sort of giant serpentine beast, but she shouts over the wind for both of you to stand down. "Shoally behaves better if you don't piss her off." Other than that, things are fairly quiet on the trip.

Pulling up to the docks at Dugginsville, she lets you off with a cheerful wave. The bemused dockmaster helps you ashore, and says he heard the rest of the team was due any minute. "Glad to see you here. I'm probably the only one not suffering because of the damn pigs, least not directly. Mayor Petrovik's about to rally the townsfolk who are up to help the hunt. You should head to the northeast gate. Caleb!" A gap-toothed youth comes running up. "Take these good folks to the northeast gate so they can hook up with the other Legionnaires when they get here." Caleb grins at you both (though probably more Calyx than Growler) and skips on ahead.

Dugginsville, Now

You've had to let two of your teammates stay behind at different towns along the way--they got embroiled in personal matters there, and you had a mission to complete. You radioed back to Castle Refuge both times, and were informed by Montcrief that Wilde's orders remained unchanged--proceed to Dugginsville, kill some pigs, come home.

As you pull into Dugginsville after the long drive, you can't help but notice the badly damaged farmland surrounding the town. Crops are trampled, orchard trees are missing patches of bark, and the narrow stream you passed over on your way in was muddy and sluggish, as if there were obstructions upstream. A small band of men and women armed with a hodgepodge of weaponry has assembled near the edge of the town, and one of them is speaking to the rest of the crowd. As you come into view, the speaker, a middle-aged, dark-haired man with a full beard and a bit of a paunch, visibly sighs in relief and waves you to park near the crowd.

"Alright, everyone, this is the crew from the Tomorrow Legion I told you was coming." He looks to you as the crowd quiets down to listen. "Hi, I'm Camus Petrovik, mayor of Dugginsville. As you've probably noticed, we're dealing with a bit of a crisis, here. Wild boar aren't uncommon in these parts, of course, but usually you just get a handful; there's been dozens of them, all of a sudden, for the past few months, and they're way more aggressive than usual, too." He shakes his head. "Dunno why, but I do know that if this keeps up, we're going to have to, ah, accept help from the Coalition." Several townsfolk, including some obvious D-Bees, look less than thrilled about that idea. "I'd prefer to avoid it, of course, because, well, that kind of help usually means some other involvement, as well. Now, we've managed to get some food stores put away, and if we can stop these swine from damaging the land, we might be able to get a bit of extra food from a late harvest--it'd be tight, but we could survive. So if you can drive these pigs off, maybe even figure out what's behind all this, we'd be very grateful, and would regard the Legion as friends going forward." Enthusiastic nods and murmurs accompany this statement.

At this point, there's a murmur from behind the crowd, as a young local boy comes along, leading two more Legionnaires forward. "These guys just came in on Skimmer!" he happily informs everyone.

The Mayor nods. "Ah, wonderful. I'll admit, I was a bit disappointed to see only six of you. Naturally, we'll help you however we can. We're at your disposal."
OOC Comments
So, Dramatic Task time, again!

The lead roll for this one is Tracking, at a base difficulty of -4 (the boars have been active for over a month at this point, so the tracks go everywhere, and criss-cross and so forth; the challenge comes in determining the freshest tracks through all the zig-zagging). Roath and Echo both have a d6+2 Tracking, which seems to be your best, so presumably one of them will be assigned to the lead slots. (There's another possibility, which I go into detail near the end.)

The goal is to accumulate 5 or more successes/raises over the course of 5 or fewer 'rounds' (ie, if the lead gets a massive roll right off the start, you could finish this up early; I will say there's a bonus result for getting more than 5 successes total, in case you want to press on after that, so long as there's still time).

At the beginning of each round, I'll flip a card for the Lead; if the card comes up a Club, there's a complication that round, and either someone addresses it, or the Lead's roll suffers an additional -2 penalty. (Usually, 'addressing the complication' will be that character's action for the round, meaning they don't get to roll to aid the Lead. Of course, since successfully dealing with the complication is mathematically equivalent to getting a Raise on the aid roll, that's still pretty significant.)

And yes, if a Joker comes up, the Lead gets a +2 to his roll, though that doesn't apply to the aid rolls. (It does apply, as far as I'm concerned, to Joker's Wild, so everyone will get a Bennie.)

Those who are not the lead may roll cooperatively to aid. This can be any skill that reasonably deals with the situation at hand. Off the top of my head, I can see the case for Tracking, Notice, Stealth and Survival. You pick ONE skill for any given round, and roll that, also at -4 (same as the Lead's penalty). If you get a success you add +1 to the effort; if you get a Raise, you add +2 to the effort.

You can also opt to just straight-up murder some swine, by rolling a combat skill (Fighting, Shooting, Throwing, Arcane Skill or Piloting [SnackHappy only]) instead of one of the ones I outlined. This works the same way as other rolls to aid, BUT you run the risk of suffering injuries, as per the Quick Combat rules--in addition to any bonuses you give to your Lead, you get the following results:
Crit Fail: 1d3 Wounds, and if you were using a weapon, Technical Difficulties!
Fail: 1 Wound
Success: No Wounds
Raise: No Wounds, and you get to narrate something cool to claim a Benny

Finally, it should be noted that co-operative rolls cannot add more than +4 to the Lead's roll (basically, enough to counter the penalty in this case). This means you run the risk of a lot of folks making rolls that have no real impact (say Roath and Arte each get a Raise, giving Echo a total of +4; the fact that SnackHappy then gets a Piloting roll of 27 suddenly doesn't mean very much).

BUT.... Because you guys have 8 characters, you can adjust things a bit. You have two people with d6+2 as their base Tracking roll. You could reasonably split the party into two groups of 4 PCs, one under Roath, one under Echo. Each round, I'll flip a card for both groups, and then we'll proceed as above for each group separately.

The two groups do not add their efforts together, but each round, I will take the higher group's total, and add that to the running track. So if round 1, Echo gets a final result of 3 and Roath gets a final total of 9, we go with the 9--a Raise, so two out of your final 5. The next round, Roath gets a 7, and Echo gets a 12; that's a success and two raises (a score of 3), and you guys have already accomplished the main goal and just have to decide if you want to press on for the bonus victory condition.

Oh, one final note, since it usually comes up: There's no Ley Line in the immediate vicinity.

What you should do now:

Decide whether you want to do one or two groups, and if you go with two, decide who is in which group. You guys can talk about it here, or in the thread I've set up fro voting on the issue.
OOC Edit
The decision has been made to split into two groups, with Echo and Roath taking lead of each. So now Arte just needs to declare the make-up of the two groups, and then I'll post the opening round! Feel free to do IC introductions and greetings in this thread, even as the Pig Hunt moves forward.
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Erin Tarn
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Erin Tarn »

Dugginsville, Now
Roath, Ley Line Walker.
  • Glancing around at the assembled farmers and their families Roath nods at the two newest members of the 7th that have just arrived. Moving forward to shake each of their hands the Line Walker greets both Calyx and Growler. Roath is an old looking black man, with mostly white hair, he move slow and speaks with a warm voice.

”Welcome aboard.”

Glancing back at Arte he moves towards her.

”I have some experience in my short life, with the outdoors and its activities. Tracking, and such, is something I feel comfortable with. I believe Echo does too. The new guy, Growler looks like a tracker too. I am fine with us breaking into two teams as we were all discussing. I also am fine taking lead or just helping in this hunt. I may be better as suppose in this. What would you like Arte?”

Slowly moving to his right, moving past the Mayor, Roath sits down on a bench and waits for orders. Placing his utterly demonic helmet down on his lap his friendly smile is a great contrast to his dark armor and helm.
OOC Comments
I do not care who runs both hunting groups….Growler for sure, and Echo or me….up to you all.
I'm totally fine taking a back seat.

Edit: Sounds like Echo and Growler are team captains.
Discord: Daniel (Lars)

Lars
  • Game Master: CS Disavowed (110 PA)
  • Game Master: Rifts Speed Tribes! (68 PA)

Damien - Momano (Rifts: 1st SET, Far From Home)

Monza Lena - Altara (Phase World: Remorseless)

Sergio - Gunman (Deadlands)

Clay - Fighter (Savage Forgotten Realms)

Dred - Mega Juicer (Rifts Legends)

Jackal - Artificial Construct (21st SET)
NPC Accounts:
Zieja Kasbrook (RST!)
Erin Tarn (RST!)
Calyx
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Calyx »

Castle Refuge and Journey, Then

Calyx looked up from his plate in the midst of taking a mouthful of steak and veggies when the mess door banged open loudly. His eyes widened a bit and he blinked several times in confusion. The food fell from his fork back to the plate, unnoticed, as the female officer singled him out along with someone else. Uh...wha...what now?" But she was already gone. He frowned at the abruptness along with the sort of rudeness to it all. He let out a sigh and shoveled a bunch of the remaining food in to his mouth, chewing a lot as he stood and followed the D-Bee. He almost balked at being assigned to a boar hunt, but the 'possibly of supernatural origin' stopped him from speaking up. He just took in the information, still chewing, and walked along to the dune-buggy. He gave a nod to the Corporal, held on for the quick ride and then departed with his gear.

He glanced at the Dog Boy a couple of times on the way there but didn't talk to him until on the ferry. As they traveled, Calyx sat in one of the seats not far from the Dog Boy. They were going to be working together so he decided to at least get to know him a bit. "Hey. Calyx Calder. Zapper. What's your name?" Most of the ferry ride was spent holding on and restraining himself to not shoot the...serpent?...in the water.

They arrived at Dugginsville. He raised an eyebrow at the dockmaster. The second eyebrow joined it as the kid who showed up to lead them. "Should be int'restin'."

Dugginsville, Now

The human man walked up, late twenties maybe, buzzed haircut and lightly tanned skin, his green eyes looked each member of the group over. He was wearing a yellow and black jacket over black pants and combat boots. He had a great chainsword on his back and a pair of vibro-blade vambraces on his arms, with almost forgotten holstered laser pistol on his hip. He didn't offer to shake hands, not wanting to make a bad impression right out the gate. He gave a nod to them. "Calyx Calder. Electricity an' Magnetism Specialist." He didn't know if anyone would even get the joke or not, if they had been briefed on what he was or not, but he doubted it.

He held up his dossier and transfer orders. "Who gets these?"

"So. A boar hunt? I hear that right?" He scratched his chin. "I assume we need t'find the...lair? source? whatever?...an' not just kill 'em all? How many we talkin' 'bout?"
Calyx Calder
Character Summary
Human Zapper

Active effects: Deflection (-3 to be hit).
Wounds::

Parry: 6 (7 w/ vambraces); Toughness: 16(9)
Weapon in hand: Vibro-Blade Vambraces or Kolytik

Edges: AB Psionics, Danger Sense, Luck, Major Psionics, Quick, Rapid Recharge, Rich

Powers: Armor, Boost/Lower Trait, Deflection, Telekinesis
ISP: 26/30

Charisma: 0
Bennies: 3

Memento (Two-Face's Decision)
  • Once per Session, can be used to alleviate a level of Fatigue.
Adventure Card:
  • Ace: Play instead of rolling to make a trait test with a single automatic raise.
  • Lucky Break: Play this card to completely negate the damage from one attack.
Currently playing in: 7th Set Joker's Jokers
Zakkael
Silver Patron
Silver Patron

Post by Zakkael »

Zakkael nods to the new arrivals. "Welcome, new friends, to Dugginsville. It appears that the Legion wants the pork barbecued, if we have an electricity specialist. HA! I am Zakkael, the Angel of Justice and Vengeance. Let us depart and feed the people of this town from the bounty of bacon we are about to harvest!"
Zakkael turns to Artemeisia. "Commander, what are your orders as to the division of labor? I am happy to take an aerial survey for one squad or another."
Zakkael
Zakkael
Current Status: 1 wounds / 1 Fatigue
Bennies: 2 (-1 EE fighting, -1 Soak, +1 from Fox)
Parry: 9, -2 to hit with ranged attacks
Toughness: 12 (7)
PPE: 11/25 / ISP: 2/10
Staff PPE: 2/10
Active Powers: Exalted Darksight
Pertinent Edges: Danger Sense, Alertness, Improved Rapid Recharge, Elan, Marksman (Mysticism)
Adventure Cards:
  • Joker's Gone Wild: Play this card to swap your initiative card with any Joker drawn for initiative.
    Rabbit Out of My Hat: Play this card to gain +2 to any Trick test until the end of the scene
Armor: TW Combat Mage Armor
  • Darksight
  • Farsight
  • +7 Armor
  • Full Environmental Protection
  • +1 Strength die