11.3. A Fatherly Chat (Sierra)

Pursuit
Game Master

11.3. A Fatherly Chat (Sierra)

Post by Pursuit »

A Morning Beverage
The morning of the trial, Sierra wakes up to find someone else in her room.

“Morning, sunshine,” the handsome man from her visions, the one who killed Lincoln, says from a chair next to her bed. “Was wondering if you’d ever wake up.”

He holds up a teapot and asks, “Tea? Or are you a coffee drinker? I suppose I should remember details like this by now, but I never seem to drop in during those moments, do I?”

Without waiting for an answer, he begins to pour Sierra a cup. She doesn’t recognize the cup or the teapot as belonging to her… had he brought those with him?

“I suppose you probably have some questions you’d like to ask me. I can go ahead and get the most obvious one out of the way, if you’d like. No, I’m not from around here.” He gives a wide, inviting grin that brings friendly lines to the corners of his eyes; he gives off the general impression of a man used to smiling.

Your Turn

Here’s your chance to talk with/ask anything Sierra might be interested in finding out from her dad. This is intended to be a bit of a back and forth, so don’t feel pressure to do a hugely long post (unless you want to).

As always after a GM post, please include a Notice roll in your first response.
Curse of the Crimson Throne GM Bennies: 3/6

Lost Colony GM Bennies: 7/6

Dark Frontier GM Bennies: 6/6
Sierra Mackenzie

Re: 11.3. A Fatherly Chat (Sierra)

Post by Sierra Mackenzie »

Notice 4
Notice [dice:43k0o91k]49882:0[/dice:43k0o91k]
Wild [dice:43k0o91k]49882:1[/dice:43k0o91k]
Dinosaur Swamp/Avanzada Seca
Morning
Round 0

The back of Sierra’s neck tickled. She always got that just before trouble. She rolled over on the bed and opened her eyes to see the handsome, well-dressed, red-haired man from her dreams sitting in a chair beside her bed.

“Holy fucking Christ!” Sierra exclaimed, quickly yanking the sheets up over her naked chest. It was too hot in the jungle to sleep in any way but au naturale, and Sierra was used to sleeping that way anyway, given her propensity to heat up and scorch her clothes if she slept too long. She wasn’t normally so modest, but something made her react.

The man poured some tea -- where did he get the tea set? -- and Sierra stared at the cup suspiciously.

“I suppose you probably have some questions you’d like to ask me. I can go ahead and get the most obvious one out of the way, if you’d like. No, I’m not from around here,” he said with a handsome smile.

Damn him. If he wasn’t creeping in her visions and showing up uninvited, Sierra might have dragged him into the bed just on principle. But she was wary now. She’d seen him standing over Lincoln’s body, seen him seduce her mother.

“Who the fuck are you?” Sierra asked, still holding the sheet to her naked body.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Parry: 5; Toughness: 13(6)
Encumbrance: 25/28
Battle Hardened (armor): +2 to Soak
Combat Reflexes (armor): +2 to Unshake
Danger Sense: Notice to avoid surprise
Improved Nerves of Steel (armor): Ignore 2 points of Wound penalties
Liquid Courage: Vigor d10, Toughness: 8, ignore 1 point of Wounds (1 hour)
Read the Flames
Respect: +2 Charisma bonus when dealing with residents of Avanzada Seca
SLOOT Suit: Armor can become transparent.
ISP: 35/40 (5 locked for armor)
Bennies: 3/3
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:52 pm
“Who the fuck are you?” Sierra asked, still holding the sheet to her naked body.
”Well,” he says, ”maybe that is the most obvious question after all, isn’t it?”

He lets out a small sigh, and continues, ”You know, I truly didn’t want to do it this way, but such is the way of things. You may call me Eoghan. It’s an old name from an old place, but I believe it suits me. And, if you would, I encourage you to avoid using any more expletives incorporating the name of Deity during this conversation. Names have more power than you understand, Sierra Mackenzie. As he says your full name, you feel a shiver run throughout your body.

He gives a little, friendly smile. ”See what I mean? And I would know, Sierra. I am your father, after all.”

Sierra Mackenzie

Morning
Round 0

Sierra shivered as this Eoghan said her name. “What the fucking hell was that?” she asked.

And then he said he was her father.

Her eyes widened in shock. “No. You can’t be. My dad is some no-good douche who knocked up my mom and ruined her life.” Then she remembered her vision from the glade, watching this man pick up her mother, their night of passion. “You…”

Sierra backed away from here, falling off the other side of the bed with a thud. She scrambled up, wrapping the sheet around her. “Oh, fuck! I’m naked!” she shouted at him. “Ew!” It was morning, and she was already hot, needing to let out her wings, and her heightened emotional state only made it worse. Flames flickered in her red hair and the sheet around her body started to smoke.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
  • Tale Teller: Your hero must tell a story of his group’s deeds to an audience of some sort (roleplay this) and make a Persuasion roll. If successful, the listeners become friendly and helpful to the entire party.
  • Parley: All characters cease fighting and listen to the hero speak for at least 30 seconds. Others may only take defensive actions during this time. This has no effect on beasts and other creatures that cannot understand the speaker.
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:05 am Sierra backed away from here, falling off the other side of the bed with a thud. She scrambled up, wrapping the sheet around her. “Oh, fuck! I’m naked!” she shouted at him. “Ew!” It was morning, and she was already hot, needing to let out her wings, and her heightened emotional state only made it worse. Flames flickered in her red hair and the sheet around her body started to smoke.
”An apt response, really,” he says with a slight chuckle. He waves his hand at her, and Sierra feels the heat leave her body, the flames extinguishing. ”Nothing I haven’t seen before, I assure you. But feel free to go dress, if you’d like a moment. I’ll keep the tea hot.” He sips from his cup.

Sierra Mackenzie

Afternoon
Round 0

Sierra gasped as the man literally pulled the heat out of her and extinguished her flames. She actually felt...cold!

“Wh-What did you just do?” she demanded, trying to keep one eye on him and the other searching around for her clothes. She found her shorts and tank top and quickly pulled them on before dropping the sheet. They weren’t her flame-proof ones, though, so if she had to flame up, they would burn away.

“You killed Lincoln,” Sierra accused, clenching her fists, searching for the fire inside of her again to light them up. “Give me one good reason I shouldn’t toast you for that.”
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 am Sierra gasped as the man literally pulled the heat out of her and extinguished her flames. She actually felt...cold!
“Wh-What did you just do?” she demanded, trying to keep one eye on him and the other searching around for her clothes.
“I merely did what you will learn to do in time. Instead of releasing all that heat, you can re-channel it and store it up for later use. You’re still a good while away from being able to do that, I think, so in the meanwhile, maybe keep those fireproof clothes around that your friend makes you.”
Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 am “You killed Lincoln,” Sierra accused, clenching her fists, searching for the fire inside of her again to light them up. “Give me one good reason I shouldn’t toast you for that.”
He holds up two fingers and ticks them off as he says, “I’ll give you two. First, and probably the most important: you can’t. Even if you could manage to conjure the full power of your damnable planet’s insignificant sun, you couldn’t so much as singe my hair. And second, you didn’t know Lincoln nearly as well as you thought you did, sweetheart.”

Reaching into his pocket, he pulls something out. Sierra recognizes it as her cred-card from the armor sale! “That boy was many things. Charming, certainly. And well-connected. He had potential. But he was also unapologetically, irredeemably greedy.” He throws the cred-card to Sierra in a gentle toss. “He knew that you hadn’t told your friends about that deal, and he knew no one else in town knew about it. He wouldn’t dream of stealing from the buyer, but you… you were isolated and vulnerable, from his point of view. He got himself an over-ambitious partner and arranged for things to happen with you when you got back from the swamp. You were to meet up one last time out in a secluded spot around a campfire, and he was planning to kill you in your sleep. That burnt patch you found was supposed to be your corpse, made to look like an accident.”

His eyes harden. “He wasn’t counting on anyone else looking in on you. And, well, he’d gone to all that trouble to find a nice, out of the way place for a fire, that I didn’t want it to go to waste.”

Sierra Mackenzie

Morning
Round 0

Sierra caught the cred card and blinked, staring at it. “He...He wouldn’t kill me. Not Lincoln…” Sierra stammered. “This was hidden!” She closed her hand around the card.. “What partner? Is it Ford?” she asked with a scowl. “Or that bitch at the hospital?” No, she’d seemed genuinely grieved about Lincoln’s death, and scared of Sierra. “How do I know I can trust you? You could just be making all this up.”

Sierra snatched up a bottle of Lincoln’s moonshine from the floor and took a long, burning swallow. She just wanted to be drunk and numb right now, damn the early hour.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:36 am
Sierra caught the cred card and blinked, staring at it. “He...He wouldn’t kill me. Not Lincoln…” Sierra stammered. “This was hidden!” She closed her hand around the card.. “What partner? Is it Ford?” she asked with a scowl. “Or that bitch at the hospital?” No, she’d seemed genuinely grieved about Lincoln’s death, and scared of Sierra. “How do I know I can trust you? You could just be making all this up.”

Sierra snatched up a bottle of Lincoln’s moonshine from the floor and took a long, burning swallow. She just wanted to be drunk and numb right now, damn the early hour.
Eoghan sighs. "While I can respect your attraction to the drink, now is not the time. My time is limited and I need you sharp." He holds out a hand and a gout of flame swallows the bottle whole, leaving only the molten handle left in Sierra's hand.

"Yes. Lincoln was planning to kill you. No, his partner was not Ford. Ford is... well, Ford is not a murderer, that's for sure. Ford is a bit of a wild card in all this. As for trusting me... well, that's entirely up to you."

He sits down with his tea. "Now, on to the real business. These Tomorrow Legion people. I like them. Did you know that just by existing, your Tomorrow Legion has thrown an entire region of North America into absolute chaos? The Coalition can't figure out what to do with itself, the Federation of Magic is going insane. Seriously. If you could see the things going on right now in their high councils, it would give you chills. And Lazlo... well," He points to the cred-card, "let's say they could use that for themselves, the way they're pouring money into your castle."

"So, let me tell you why I'm here." He takes a long sip. "I need you to keep doing what you're doing. I need you to keep being a good teammate to this team of yours, and stick with the Legion. Prop it up. Help it along. And, every now and again when I'm able to arrange one of these little meetups, catch up with your dear ol' dad about what you've been up to. And what your legion has been up to."

Before Sierra can object, he says, "now, I'm not coming here empty-handed. I'll tell you what. Every time we meet, I will come something valuable in exchange. Today, it's news about Lincoln and his little plot. Next time, it may be another one of those cred-cards. Or," Sierra can see a bit of a twinkle in his eye, "maybe it will be another coat that doesn't burn up when you heat up? Maybe an ancient dagger collected in my travels? Hmm?"

Sierra Mackenzie

Morning
Round 0

Sierra’s eyes widened at Eoghan’s words. “You...you left them… But how are you even in my dreams and visions?” she asked in astonishment. She gagged a little. “I think I saw you fucking my mom!” She wasn’t prepared for something like this! But he was offering her help, including credits, and that lit her greedy little heart up like a flame. And having more clothes that didn’t just burn up on her would be great, especially if she didn’t need to shell out credits to Deezy for them.

Sierra bit her lip, considering. He wasn’t asking her to do anything more than she was already doing, sticking with the Tomorrow Legion. It wasn’t like she could go back to Whykin with a bounty on her head. And she wasn’t exactly equipped to go wandering out on her own.

Was Lincoln really trying to kill her? God damn, she had fuck-shit taste in men!

“Okay,” Sierra finally said. “We have a deal. What do we do? Shake on it?” She spit into her hand and held it out to him. “You said Lincoln had a partner. Does that mean there is someone else in town looking to kill me?”
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card
Pursuit
Game Master

Post by Pursuit »

Sierra Mackenzie wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:11 am
“Okay,” Sierra finally said. “We have a deal. What do we do? Shake on it?” She spit into her hand and held it out to him. “You said Lincoln had a partner. Does that mean there is someone else in town looking to kill me?”
Eoghan gives Sierra a broad smile. "Nothing so barbaric as all that, love. Wipe your hand off. That's gross." He steps over to her and gives her a fatherly hug. "I've wanted to do that for a long time."

He steps back, hands on her shoulders, looking at her approvingly. "You're growing into a formidable woman, Sierra. You will be a terror to your enemies. Yes, there is someone else in town looking to cause you trouble, but I do not believe she intends to kill you at this juncture. Her gambit with Lincoln failed, and it's not so easy to kill one of the Outpost heroes here in town. But you have certainly made an enemy of her. She goes by 'Brass' these days, if I am not mistaken. Keep your eye out."

He glances down at his watch. "Ah. Yes. As I said, I don't have much time, and your friend's trial is beginning. I must run, Sierra, but I will be back from time to time to see how you are doing. Be a good girl, and stay alive in the meanwhile. I won't always be here, and I won't always be able to help." He gives her a wink and a smile, and disappears in a flash of flame (which, thankfully, doesn't light anything in the room on fire).

Sierra is left alone, free to ponder on the experience she just had or to rush to Deezy's trial.

Sierra Mackenzie

Morning
Round 0

“Brass? Who the fuck is Brass?” Sierra asked. Then Eoghan said the trial was beginning, and Sierra cursed. She jumped when he disappeared in a burst of flame.

Sierra rushed to the bathroom and took a quick shower. She should be there to support Deezy! She jumped out, did up her hair big, and pulled on a slinky, sexy red dress. It was rather impractical for the jungle, but maybe she could influence the jury or something. Slipping on heels, Sierra hurried to the town hall where the trial was held, slipping into the back, late. She spotted the rest of the team and went to sit with them. She still gave Deezy a hard stare, though, not forgetting her calling her a demon.
Character Tracker
Sierra Character Sheet
Read the Flames
Adventure Card

Return to “Adventure Archive”