Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

The Thatcher Bible - Enchanted Item

Post by Hardin »

This is for Rill, the Fennodi Mystic preacher of the 18th COT:

A Well Used Bible
  • Type of Item: Bible
  • Enchantments (Two Major, Two Minor): Elan, Luck, +1 to Spirit rolls, Inspire
  • P.P.E.: N/A
  • Trait: N/A
  • Trappings: This is the personal study bible of Rill’s mentor, the late Reverend Jeremy Thatcher, who first welcomed Rill to Black Mesa and taught him the Good News. Over many years of loving use, the good reverend inadvertently imbued this bible with its own holy power, and any who read it regularly will find themselves greatly blessed for doing so. The bible confers the Elan Edge (to reflect help from on High when the reader really puts his Spirit into something), the Luck Edge (divine providence), a +1 to Spirit rolls (literally uplifting the Spirit of the reader) and the ability to inspire others (once per session, he can make a Spirit roll as a cooperative roll and add +1 for each success and raise to the Trait roll of another). Rill must spend a couple of minutes reading from the bible every day to get these benefits, and he must keep it on his person.
I updated the above to reflect suggestions I received below. Thank you everyone who has helped me brainstorm!

As a note on design, I wanted to shy away from benefits that were Mystic or spellcaster specific. Reverend Thatcher would have wanted his bible to benefit anyone who had it, not just those with Arcane Backgrounds. I’m obviously not planning for it to pass from Rill’s hands, but it just felt right for the item to be designed with that in mind.
Deleted Text
A Well Used Bible
  • Enchantments (Two Major, Two Minor): Elan, Luck, +1 to Spirit Rolls, Teacher’s Blessing (a 1/4 chance to give listeners +1 to their Spirit rolls for 24 hours)
  • Trappings: This is the personal study bible of Rill’s mentor, the late Reverend Jeremy Thatcher, who first welcomed Rill to Black Mesa and taught him the Good News. Over many years of loving use, the good reverend inadvertently imbued this bible with its own holy power, and any who read it regularly will find themselves greatly blessed for doing so. The bible confers the Elan Edge (to reflect help from on High when the reader really puts his Spirit into something), the Luck Edge (divine providence), a +1 to Spirit rolls (literally uplifting the Spirit of the reader) and, if used to deliver a sermon, lesson, ceremony, private instruction, or the like (GM’s call), roll a d4. On a 4, any listeners may add +1 to their own Spirit rolls for 24 hours. In order to get any of the listed benefits from the book, Rill must spend a couple of minutes reading from it every day, and he must keep it on his person.
I am open to suggestion on the above, especially “Teacher’s Blessing.” I was looking for a second Minor upgrade that jived with the overall style of the item and the character. The Good Book (especially how Reverend Thatcher would have seen it) is meant to be shared, so I tried to create a mechanic that would give some kind of benefit to others. To get the +1, listeners would have to be paying attention to some degree (not just dozing off).
Last edited by Hardin on Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Hardin and Jane
Hardin a Half-Elf Psi-Slinger
Parry: 5
Toughness: 10(3)
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Attributes: Agility d10, Smarts d12, Spirit d8, Strength d6, Vigor d8
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Charisma: -2 (Half-elves treated as outsiders)
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Jane a Bandito Arms Robot Mustang
Attributes: Agility d8, Smarts d6, Spirit d6, Strength d12+5, Vigor d12
Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Pace: 12 (Acc/TS 10/50)
Parry: 6
Toughness: 20(10) MDC
Notes/Special Features:
  • All-Terrain: +2 to Riding checks
  • Sensor Suite (+2 to Notice, power armor sensor package)
  • Kick does Strength + d6 Mega Damage
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Expanded Detection and Security Array (Danger Sense Edge and +2 to Notice)
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Re: The Thatcher Bible - Enchanted Item

Post by Freemage »

How would you feel about setting aside either Luck or Elan, and taking Command--and then make Teacher's Blessing a trapping for the Command Edge, that allows the benefit of all Command Edges to remain intact for 24 hours, so long as the underlings are part of the morning reading?

Basically, the Trapping subs in a morning prayer meeting for the normal Command Radius, making things a bit more reliable (since you no longer have to stay within 6" to grant the bonuses).
GM Bennies (7th SET, Joker's Jokers): 8/8
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
PCs, 8 Active Slots, 3 Signature Items
*Gaspard Gillead, 12th AAT/Dirty Dozen
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Ophelia Monk, Mercy Team 6
Jaenelle, Beyond the Wall
Mille Visage, Northern Gun Mercs
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Inactive/Retired/Deceased
Gorgeous George, 4th COT/Murder Hobos(Frozen)
Nomel Sagia, Nameless (Frozen)
Libertas Magicorum, 13th SET/Silent Ones(Retired)
Savant, 3rd SET/Losers(Frozen)
Other Mother, Ravenloft (Frozen)
Lance, 24th COT/Kingsdale (Retired)
Ramson Gourdaine, Phase World (Blazed)
Hexx, Rising Stars SPC (Frozen)
Sir Blurre, 18th COT/New West (Retired)
Yeitso & Alicia Forsythe, Prestige Unlimited (Frozen)
Malaetheryan, Phase World/Relentless (Frozen?)
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

That's a clever idea. I like the Elan and Luck Edges (they were the first things I thought of when I started on this item weeks ago, and I keep coming back to them), but that is certainly worth considering. For now, I'd like to hold on to those two and see what other folks have to say.
Hardin and Jane
Notable Edges/Hindrances: Quick, Marksman, Wanted (Major): Coalition, Illiterate
Skills: Fighting d6, Shooting d10, Stealth d6, Riding d6 + 3, Notice d8, Psionics d12, Survival d6, Intimidate d8 + 3
Powers: Push (smite*) costs +1 ISP for +2 AP, ‘Kinesis (telekinesis) on a raise, gains effects of Steady Hands, Resist Energy (deflection*) gives the raise effect but is only good against energy (or partial-energy) attacks, Clear Mind (boost Trait*) costs +1 ISP to activate and has different trappings for each attribute and linked skills
Equipment of Note: A Spiffy Hat (+1 to Intimidation, Rapid Recharge Edge, +2 to damage w/TW weapons or direct damage powers, Always Present)

Skills: Fighting d8, Shooting d4, Stealth d8, Swimming d6, Notice d8 + 4, Survival d6
Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Extraction (Agility roll to break off from melee without giving a free attack)
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Hardin wrote:That's a clever idea. I like the Elan and Luck Edges (they were the first things I thought of when I started on this item weeks ago, and I keep coming back to them), but that is certainly worth considering. For now, I'd like to hold on to those two and see what other folks have to say.
Another possibility would be to go with what I just suggested, but it only works once you buy the Command Edge (and other Leadership Edges after that). Basically, it would become something the character grows into. (Of course, that would be Advances you wouldn't be spending on spell-casting stuff like new powers and more PPE/ISP, so it's still something to weigh on.)
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

In the same vein as Command, I think Common Bond could work on this item.

I can see the justification for Elan and Lucky, as well ... I'm wondering if there's not some way to put a restriction on Common Bond that would let us squeeze it in as a Minor. Tie it to a Hindrance, like Poverty or Vow? Limit Common Bond to only folks who prayed with Rill that morning, or that he can lay hands on or something?
GM Bennies: 7/7
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Tribe of One wrote:In the same vein as Command, I think Common Bond could work on this item.

I can see the justification for Elan and Lucky, as well ... I'm wondering if there's not some way to put a restriction on Common Bond that would let us squeeze it in as a Minor. Tie it to a Hindrance, like Poverty or Vow? Limit Common Bond to only folks who prayed with Rill that morning, or that he can lay hands on or something?
I really like the idea, but I wouldn't want to step on Orrin's toes with common bond, which is unique for him in the party.

What if, once per day/week/session (not sure, here), he could find the perfect scripture to help someone find an answer they're seeking? It would have to be role played and approved by the GM, but the recipient would get some kind of bonus or insight into the path they should take. Maybe the scripture helps neighbors find common ground in a dispute, or gives a clue or suggestion at a key moment while the heroes are puzzling something out. It's squishy, to be sure, but I think it could work.

What do you think?
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

What about: Once per session, you may spend a benny to provide inspiration. Friendly characters (including your character) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

This is the Inspiration Adventure Card, but it seems appropriate.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

High Command wrote:What about: Once per session, you may spend a benny to provide inspiration. Friendly characters (including your character) add +2 to all trait rolls for the rest of this round.

This is the Inspiration Adventure Card, but it seems appropriate.
I really like this. How about:

A Well Used Bible
  • Trappings: This is the personal study bible of Rill’s mentor, the late Reverend Jeremy Thatcher, who first welcomed Rill to Black Mesa and taught him the Good News. Over many years of loving use, the good reverend inadvertently imbued this bible with its own holy power, and any who read it regularly will find themselves greatly blessed for doing so. The bible confers the Elan Edge (to reflect help from on High when the reader really puts his Spirit into something), the Luck Edge (divine providence), a +1 to Spirit rolls (literally uplifting the Spirit of the reader), and the ability to inspire others (once per session, he can spend a Benny to give friendly characters (including himself) +2 to their Trait rolls for a round). Rill must spend a couple of minutes reading from the bible every day to get these benefits, and he must keep it on his person.
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Just a clarification, without an opinion: If he's going to use his Inspiration, will the other characters need to go On Hold if necessary, to take advantage of it?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Do you have to with the Action Card?
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

I was envisioning that he could do that at the beginning of a round, not necessarily on his turn. If it needed to be on his turn, then he'd just play it and go on hold the next round until everyone had a chance to take advantage of the +2.
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

+2 to all Trait rolls for a round is pretty powerful, and also more difficult to schedule. "+2 to their next Trait roll" is easy, but they don't have much control over what that roll would. What if it was each ally receives "+2 to one Trait roll before the end of their next turn" ?
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Tribe of One wrote:+2 to all Trait rolls for a round is pretty powerful, and also more difficult to schedule. "+2 to their next Trait roll" is easy, but they don't have much control over what that roll would. What if it was each ally receives "+2 to one Trait roll before the end of their next turn" ?
That certainly works for me, and makes the mechanics a little easier. I’ll revise the OP to reflect.
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

Adventure Cards can be played anytime, unless they specifically say otherwise.

What I'm not sure is if what amounts to a free Adventure Card is actually a Minor Mod. I'll note that a free extra draw is an Edge (it's on a rules card that comes with the Adventure Deck: "Destiny's Child. You may draw an additional Adventure Card each session."). This Mod, OTOH, adds not only an extra (fixed) draw, but also the ability to play that draw independently of the usual rules, for nothing more than a Benny.

Here's my thoughts on making it a Minor Mod (and this would be a format for similar options down the road):

Up My Sleeve (Minor Mod, any suitable item for the card in question): You may, once per session, pay a Benny to change the effects of an Adventure Card you play for a specific, different card, chosen at the time you create this Mod. You can even use this ability if someone in the party already has that card in hand.

So you still have to use your card-play to actually use this ability--but it means you've always got the card you think is most appropriate to your character available (so long as you have Bennies available).

Thoughts?
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

I think that’s probably a bit more balanced, though I like the other way better. :) At the end of the day, though, it fits with the item and gives Rill the chance to help the party out, so I could roll with it.
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Hans Greuber »

Freemage wrote:Adventure Cards can be played anytime, unless they specifically say otherwise.

What I'm not sure is if what amounts to a free Adventure Card is actually a Minor Mod. I'll note that a free extra draw is an Edge (it's on a rules card that comes with the Adventure Deck: "Destiny's Child. You may draw an additional Adventure Card each session."). This Mod, OTOH, adds not only an extra (fixed) draw, but also the ability to play that draw independently of the usual rules, for nothing more than a Benny.

Here's my thoughts on making it a Minor Mod (and this would be a format for similar options down the road):

Up My Sleeve (Minor Mod, any suitable item for the card in question): You may, once per session, pay a Benny to change the effects of an Adventure Card you play for a specific, different card, chosen at the time you create this Mod. You can even use this ability if someone in the party already has that card in hand.

So you still have to use your card-play to actually use this ability--but it means you've always got the card you think is most appropriate to your character available (so long as you have Bennies available).

Thoughts?
I would LOVE this mod for Hans to put in a TW device. I do believe it should be a Major Mod, however. It can be used for any of the cards... even the negate an attack, or auto-Crit Failure against you.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 15 / 30 (11 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Silver Ring 1: 5 / 10
Silver Ring 2: 5 / 10
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 1 /6
Created Gadgets:
Arcane Protection (6 PPE left)
Remote Viewing (6 PPE left)
Teleport (4 PPE left)
Dispel (9 PPE left)

Bennies: 1 (+1 Z) / 3
Base Amount
+1 Zombie Bennie
-1 to Reroll Fear against Vithen Wraiths
-1 to Reroll Arcana to Find Geist among Mirror Selves

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Huey (Mind Rider), Dewey, Louis
Alvin (Mind Rider), Simon, Theodore
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048

Hans:
  • Fatigue: 0
    Wounds: 0
Golems (*=Mind Link, #=Winged)
  • Gargamel*#
    Huey*
    Dewey
    Louis
    Alvin*
    Simon
    Theodore
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

So question: would it be a minor or major mod to just have a once per session, spend a benny and you can negate the damage of an attack?
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Hans Greuber
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Hans Greuber »

Pender Lumkiss wrote:So question: would it be a minor or major mod to just have a once per session, spend a benny and you can negate the damage of an attack?
Exactly. I would have Hans make one with Revelation...
  • Your hero finds all the information available when doing research, or realizes critical information when confronting some obstacle such as a monster’s weakness, the answer to a riddle or cipher, etc.
It would go well with how I play him.
Hans Greuber

PPE: 15 / 30 (11 - 13 Invested into Gargamel, 1 Invested into Humble's Bracelet)
Silver Ring 1: 5 / 10
Silver Ring 2: 5 / 10
Active Powers:
None
Combat Edges/Hindrances:
Hesitant
Arcane Machinist Gadgets Left: 1 /6
Created Gadgets:
Arcane Protection (6 PPE left)
Remote Viewing (6 PPE left)
Teleport (4 PPE left)
Dispel (9 PPE left)

Bennies: 1 (+1 Z) / 3
Base Amount
+1 Zombie Bennie
-1 to Reroll Fear against Vithen Wraiths
-1 to Reroll Arcana to Find Geist among Mirror Selves

Toughness: 16 (8); Parry: 4; Pace: 5 (d4)
Golems:
Gargamel (Invested PPE, Flying Pace 12, Mind Rider)
Huey (Mind Rider), Dewey, Louis
Alvin (Mind Rider), Simon, Theodore
https://savagerifts.com/sr/viewtopic.php?p=76048#p76048

Hans:
Golems (*=Mind Link, #=Winged)
  • Gargamel*#
    Huey*
    Dewey
    Louis
    Alvin*
    Simon
    Theodore
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

Hans Greuber wrote:
Pender Lumkiss wrote:So question: would it be a minor or major mod to just have a once per session, spend a benny and you can negate the damage of an attack?
Exactly. I would have Hans make one with Revelation...
  • Your hero finds all the information available when doing research, or realizes critical information when confronting some obstacle such as a monster’s weakness, the answer to a riddle or cipher, etc.
It would go well with how I play him.
Those adventure cards are quite potent, and could be beyond the scope of what is considered major or minor. I would only be in favor if everyone in the group, gm included was comfortable with this. Keep in mind villians could use this too. Personally I would not allow it. Don't get me wrong, it is cool.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Orrin Truthseeker
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Orrin Truthseeker »

Hardin wrote:
Tribe of One wrote:In the same vein as Command, I think Common Bond could work on this item.

I really like the idea, but I wouldn't want to step on Orrin's toes with common bond, which is unique for him in the party
I'm more than happy to share the burden of providing emergency bennies. I think it fits both characters personas, and we are both primarily support mages of some sort.
Orrin Truthseeker
Orrin Truthseeker
Wounds: 0/4; Fatigue: 0/3; PPE: 15/35; Staff PPE: 10/10; Armor PPE: 10/10

Parry: 4+1
Pace: 5+2
Toughness: 16 (6)
Active Effects Staff:, Spellcasting +1, Parry +1; Armor: Spellcasting +1, Kn Arc +2;

Notable Edges: LL Rejuvination; Common Bond; Wizard; Marksman; Metal Skin; Elan; Investigator (armor)
Powers: Beast Friend; Waking Dream (Illusion); Fireball (Bolt); Chakra Surge/Syphon (Boost/Lower Trait); Nature’s Gift (Warrior’s Gift); Mystical Sight (Detect Arcana); Arcane Severance (Dispel); Shadow Guard (Deflection); Adrenaline (Quickness); Armor

Bennies: 1/3
-1 Bennie - advancing through the train
-1 Bennie to unshake after backlash
-1 Bennie gifted to Blurr through common bond
+3 from Stella
+1 Jack Joker
+1 Tito Joker
-2 try to free the kids
-1 Reroll puppet resist
-1 reroll puppet breakout

Aventure Cards:
Inspiration: Friendly characters (including yourhero) add +2 to all trait rolls for therest of this round.

Spill the Beans:
The subject of your questioning tells you everything you want to know, whether by friendly persuasion, intimidation, or force.

Power Surge: Immediately recover all spent Power Points.

Update Signature
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

If the adventure card idea doesn't work, how about a once per session ability to roll his Spirit as a cooperative roll to add to someone else's Trait roll? That could be the mechanic for him inspiring someone else to his or her fullest. Thoughts?
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Venatus Vinco
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Venatus Vinco »

Hardin wrote:If the adventure card idea doesn't work, how about a once per session ability to roll his Spirit as a cooperative roll to add to someone else's Trait roll? That could be the mechanic for him inspiring someone else to his or her fullest. Thoughts?
That's fun. I like it.

There's a similar precedent for it on the Psionics HJ table which let's a psychic replace any trait roll with their spirit instead.

VV
Signature
Didn't have a signature but wanted the 1 EP for using OOC tags!
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Yeah, I like that, once per session Rill can roll his spirit to replace someone else's roll. Still sort of an inspiration/guidance effect.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

yeah I can get behind that. Or maybe even a major mod that like you said lets him use his spirit in place of another appropriate roll to assist for cooperative rolls.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

So, it sounds like there are about 4 options in play for the final, Minor mod:

1) Rill can spend a Benny once per session to give everyone in the party a +2 to a Trait roll before the end of their next turn. It looks like this one might be too powerful for a Minor mod, but sounds so very cool.

2) Similar to the above, Rill could spend a Benny to replace his Adventure Card with the Adventure Card of his choice, chosen at the time of item creation and appropriate to the item. He would still need to play his card to get that benefit.

3) Once per session, Rill can make a Spirit roll as a cooperative roll to someone else’s Trait roll. This would not cost a Benny.

4) Once per session, Rill can make a Spirit roll in place of someone else’s Trait roll. It’s unclear if this would cost a Benny, but it probably would?

Of the above, which would be approved as a Minor mod? It looks like 1, 2 and 4 might be more Major than Minor, from the comments, but I’m not sure. If the GMs would wiegh in with their thoughts?

Thanks, and thank you for all you help!
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

I'm fine with 3 or 4 (which would not cost a Benny) as Minor upgrades. 1 would be a Major, and 2 is really too powerful altogether, considering some of the cards available.
Pender Lumkiss
Diamond Patron
Diamond Patron

Post by Pender Lumkiss »

I was thinking about this, and I really like the idea. Once per session seems ok for 3 or 4. I was thinking of a way to add the trapping to the elan edge. So that when your heart is put into your effort(elan) you have a chance to inspire others arround you. You can add the +2 elan normally confers to another players roll instead of your own. You can also spend two bennies to add it to your roll and the other players roll. The player must be within spirit in inches.

Maybe something like that.
Field Team Six Bennies
3/6
Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Would it be overpowering to make #3 once per day instead of once per session?
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Hardin wrote:Would it be overpowering to make #3 once per day instead of once per session?
I would not allow it. That would definitely be powerful unless it had a resource tax on it such as costing a bennie. Even then i would be hesitant and have to think longer on it.
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

#3 is probably my favorite, and feels about right--honestly, it's simply a more reliable version of a rule I often use, anyway (where a sensible roll can be used cooperatively, if there's reasonable time involved). If it cost a Bennie, then I could see #3 at once per day. Note that the upside of costing a benny is that it ~would~ work with Elan (so you get +2 on the supporting Spirit roll).
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Ok, the original post has been updated to reflect the mechanics of Rill’s ability to inspire others: once per session, he may make a Spirit roll to add +1 for each success and raise to the roll of another player (cooperative roll). This should now be ready for approvals. Thanks!
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature
Ndreare
Savage Siri

Post by Ndreare »

Hardin wrote: A Well Used Bible
  • Trappings: This is the personal study bible of Rill’s mentor, the late Reverend Jeremy Thatcher, who first welcomed Rill to Black Mesa and taught him the Good News. Over many years of loving use, the good reverend inadvertently imbued this bible with its own holy power, and any who read it regularly will find themselves greatly blessed for doing so. The bible confers the Elan Edge (to reflect help from on High when the reader really puts his Spirit into something), the Luck Edge (divine providence), a +1 to Spirit rolls (literally uplifting the Spirit of the reader) and the ability to inspire others (once per session, he can make a Spirit roll as a cooperative roll and add +1 for each success and raise to the Trait roll of another). Rill must spend a couple of minutes reading from the bible every day to get these benefits, and he must keep it on his person.
Approved
  • 2D6 EFFECT
    2 Catastrophe: Something goes terribly wrong. The GM must decide what, but some ideas are a new and permanent Minor Hindrance, the inability to use powers for several days, or an explosion of some sort. The backlash should be thematic if possible. If the hero tampers with dark forces for his abilities, for example, he might become corrupted or summon something sinister into the world. If he’s a weird scientist the device might explode for 3d6 damage in a Medium Blast Template, or he might develop a Quirk, Phobia, or other “madness.”

3 Backfire: The power succeeds as with a raise but affects a different target with the worst possible results. A bolt hits a random friend, boost Trait increases an enemy’s skill or attribute, etc. If there’s no likely target, he’s Stunned instead. If the power has a Duration other than Instant, it lasts its full term and can only be negated by dispel (the caster can’t voluntarily end it herself).

4–5 Short Circuit: The power fails but the Power Points allocated to it are spent, along with an additional 1d6 Power Points.

6–8 Stunned: The caster is Stunned (see page 106). She subtracts 2 from arcane skill rolls for the rest of the encounter (the penalty remains –2 even if she gets this result again).

9–10 Overload: The character’s synapses crackle and overload with power. He takes 2d6 damage plus the cost of the power in Power Points, including any Power Modifiers the player declared.

11 Fatigue: The character suffers Fatigue.

12 Overcharge: The power draws ambient energy from the air, automatically succeeding against the target with a raise and costing the caster no Power Points!

1 = 2 of Clubs
2 = 2 of Diamonds
3 = 2 of Hearts
4 = 2 of Spades
5 = 3 of Clubs
6 = 3 of Diamonds
7 = 3 of Hearts
8 = 3 of Spades
9 = 4 of Clubs
10 = 4 of Diamonds
11 = 4 of Hearts
12 = 4 of Spades
13 = 5 of Clubs
14 = 5 of Diamonds
15 = 5 of Hearts
16 = 5 of Spades
- reroll line for quickness & activation for Calculating -
17 = 6 of Clubs
18 = 6 of Diamonds
19 = 6 of Hearts
20 = 6 of Spades
21 = 7 of Clubs
22 = 7 of Diamonds
23 = 7 of Hearts
24 = 7 of Spades
25 = 8 of Clubs
26 = 8 of Diamonds
27 = 8 of Hearts
28 = 8 of Spades
- reroll line for Hyperion Juicer -
29 = 9 of Clubs
30 = 9 of Diamonds
31 = 9 of Hearts
32 = 9 of Spades
33 = 10 of Clubs
34 = 10 of Diamonds
35 = 10 of Hearts
36 = 10 of Spades
37 = J of Clubs
38 = J of Diamonds
39 = J of Hearts
40 = J of Spades
41 = Q of Clubs
42 = Q of Diamonds
43 = Q of Hearts
44 = Q of Spades
45 = K of Clubs
46 = K of Diamonds
47 = K of Hearts
48 = K of Spades
49 = A of Clubs
50 = A of Diamonds
51 = A of Hearts
52 = A of Spades
53 = Jokers = They are equal
54 = Jokers = They are equal
- If no reroll is being used then there are 2 extra jokers -
55 = Jokers = They are equal
56 = Jokers = They are equal
and of course update your signatures!
"Possible and practical are two comrades who rarely see eye to eye."
Rob Towell
Tribe of One

Post by Tribe of One »

Looks good to me.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Post by High Command »

Go for it
Tales of the 17th SOG
Freemage
Savage Senior

Post by Freemage »

J'approve!
OOC Comments
GMC Bennies:
  • EJ 2/2
    Thoomba 0/2
    Khem 2/2
Serival Drumm, 24th COT
*Charon, Black Company
*Hero, Lost Jungle/TL

Hardin
Bronze Patron
Bronze Patron

Post by Hardin »

Thanks, everyone!
Hardin and Jane

Notes/Special Features:
  • Size +2
  • Brave/Fearless
  • Nano-Repair System
Hardin Character Sheet
Jane Character Sheet
Signature

Return to “Approved Items”