Writing Workshop

OOC commentary and whatever else you want to chime in with.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Writing Workshop

Post by High Command »

This came up in Hangouts.
Marc/SnapHappy: "I always feel my posts are somewhat lacking especially compared to some excellent writers here. Do you guys have any tips or tricks I could use to perhaps improve them? Both interludes and normal posts"

1. Have I responded to the GM and the situation?
2. Have I responded or otherwise interacted with a NPC and/or another PC?
3. Have I delved into the thoughts of my character? What does he/she/it feel about the situation? Does this remind them of anything from their past? How about from their past within the group?
4. Have I included some action and descriptive task.

If I hit 2, it's ok; if I hit 3, awesome, and if I hit 4, it's amazing

Matthew (KahlessNestor) added this:
1. Stop thinking of it as a TTRPG and think of it like a short story, or even a movie in your head that you are trying to write on paper.
2. Think about what your character is DOING, even if talking. Like an actor, ask, "What am I doing with my hands?"
If you're "going some where" while having a conversation, break the "trip" into pieces. Say something, get to the lift, say something, or press the button, say something, get in the lift, etc. Goes with the "what an I doing" point.
3. Think! Get in the character's head. Is he hungry? Horney? What prompted that thought? Does something trigger a memory. It's all "playing pretend". Cowboys and Indians.
I actually RP better in PBP than I do at the table.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.
High Command
The Savage Inquisition

Re: Writing Workshop

Post by High Command »

Add your own thoughts to the conversation as well. I'm sure Augur will chime in with a few resources as well.
Tales of the 17th SOG
"In so far as you are concerned, I am the right arm of High Command itself. You are my Fist, be ready to strike at any moment." Major Killian Gregor, 3rd SOG Battalion, CSSD, Chi-Town.

Return to “Out of Character Topics”